Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 01, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (July 2019)

No summer doldrums this month — not when there’s a Sundance breakout drama, a new Pagan horror movie from the guy who gave you Hereditary and Quentin Tarantino’s valentine to old-school Sixties Tinseltown on the horizon.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: July 01, 2019 at 03:56 AM | 1020 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 7 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›
   601. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 19, 2019 at 03:39 PM (#5863265)
Huh. The nanny must have called in sick today.
   602. Davo Posted: July 19, 2019 at 03:55 PM (#5863278)
   603. Lassus Posted: July 19, 2019 at 03:58 PM (#5863281)
If your thesis is that the internet makes discussions worse

Not my thesis, nor did I say any such thing. I do not believe there were listicles and memes and Youtube three-hour explanations on how shitty various productions are prior to widespread internet usage. The article I responded to was not a discussion. While I do not know them personally nor their internal thoughts, I believe it is an accurate supposition that the person who wrote that has no interest in any of the answers to any of the questions they are asking.

you maybe shouldn’t start your post by saying, and I quote, “Fuck that dude.”

Looking back, I followed that with examples and explanations of why I was disappointed with artistic criticism on the internet and in general in the referenced post specifically. I then gave examples of other fandoms and criticisms that fall under this personally troubling trend. As what you've quoted is certainly not ALL that I wrote, I don't quite understand why it matters how I started.

In this thread, you are exactly what you have been complaining about.

I do not find "Criticism of criticism is worse than criticism!" to be compelling. YMMV.

I grok why I've annoyed and irritated you with what I've written. I went into hyperbole out of exhaustion and exposure to constant HAR HAR YUK YUK STUPID STUPID criticism of artistic pursuits. Again, the volume and opportunity of the internet has opened up a new mob-movement response to popular culture, which I think is both evolutionary and tiresome. It troubles me, in other words, that the principal ballerina of the Royal Ballet is going to get dragged through the internet meme machine, considering the work and sacrifice that goes into that type of artistic pursuit.

-shrug-

Maybe it's my old man moment, and I'm sorry I've annoyed you. But I do not feel I am incorrect about the new snark criticism in volume, intensity, or lack of respect or care.
   604. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 19, 2019 at 04:04 PM (#5863284)
Huh. The nanny must have called in sick today.

There is a way around the nanny, I forget how to do it though.
   605. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: July 19, 2019 at 04:18 PM (#5863289)
I do not believe there were listicles and memes and Youtube three-hour explanations on how shitty various productions are prior to widespread internet usage.

No, but there were idiots writing on the walls of restroom stalls and publishing opinion columns in tabloids and giving drunken diatribes in bars and on talk radio. At the core of things, your complaint seems to be with the medium used for the stupid complaints, rather than the stupidity of the complaints themselves, and that seems really bizarre.

Looking back, I followed that with examples and explanations of why I was disappointed with artistic criticism on the internet and in general in the referenced post specifically.

Which were glib and shallow, insofar as you said that only one of his points talked about the CG, when probably half of the piece is the writer reiterating that the CG looks bad in slightly different terms. But it doesn't count because he doesn't specifically use the word CG?

Don't get me wrong, that piece of clickbait was just as embarrassingly bad as the Cats trailer itself. But you didn't express your objections with any of the clarity, civility, or precision that you seem to expect from others.

I do not find "Criticism of criticism is worse than criticism!" to be compelling. YMMV.

You are being uncivil and making lazy, slipshod generalities, and expecting the other people in the thread to greet that with applause, for some reason. It's hypocritical and off-putting. If you want an elevated dialogue on the internet, then heal thyself, physician, and if you don't, then why are you posting on the internet to complain about it in the first place?
   606. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: July 19, 2019 at 04:22 PM (#5863290)
There is a way around the nanny, I forget how to do it though.

Unless it involves writing the swear inside the text box just like any other word, and then hitting the "Submit Your Comment" button, I didn't do it.
   607. jmurph Posted: July 19, 2019 at 04:30 PM (#5863295)
Good lord Vlad take a nap man.
   608. Man o' Schwar Posted: July 19, 2019 at 06:00 PM (#5863316)
Jack & Jill does have what's clearly the greatest thing ever filmed, Al Pacino's "Dunkaccino" commercial for Dunkin Donuts.

I can't believe I've never seen this before, and now I never want to watch anything else.
   609. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 19, 2019 at 08:26 PM (#5863348)
   610. Davo Posted: July 19, 2019 at 11:08 PM (#5863378)
So 2 pages ago I wrote

483. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 17, 2019 at 01:31 PM (#5862576)
The Hollywood Reporter speculated that Adam Sandler’s newest film UNCUT GEMS could premiere at the Venice Film Festival. Still looking at a September release date here in the states. One of my most anticipated movies of the year.

But today we’ve learned they’ve pushed back its official release date to December 13th. Which is bad news for me, of course...but one *could* read into that delay that the studio believes it could be involved in the Oscar race. Which would be AMAZING!!!
   611. Howie Menckel Posted: July 20, 2019 at 12:54 AM (#5863400)
here were idiots writing on the walls of restroom stalls and publishing opinion columns in tabloids and giving drunken diatribes in bars and on talk radio.

And the sign said “The words of the prophets
Are written on subway walls
And tenement halls
And whispered in the sounds of silence”

- Paul Simon, 1964
   612. Rennie's Tenet Posted: July 20, 2019 at 08:51 AM (#5863412)
I think that Dunkaccino is a real commercial that was really killed by Paccino, and that he got it inserted into a movie so that he could spin its inevitable leak as a joke.
   613. Davo Posted: July 20, 2019 at 11:36 AM (#5863426)
They got him!!!

Deadline is reporting that Arsenio Hall WILL return for Coming to America 2.
   614. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 20, 2019 at 11:41 AM (#5863427)
I honestly enjoyed it, and I actually like the S2 season ending. And like most of the Internet, I *really* want an Anson Mount-based Captain Pike series. (Anson Mount's Pike was a revelation.)

I am serious when I say I'm glad you liked it. There was no Star Trek for so long that I felt obligated to pay for CBS All Access just to keep the franchise alive. But the second season killed that sense of obligation. So I am glad you will still be supporting it so that they will keep making it and maybe eventually make something I enjoy. Below the Decks certainly seems like something that could be in my wheelhouse.

Anson Mount was great, I'd never seen him in anything before but he made quite the impression. It's a fantastic cast they've assembled (other than the guy who plays Ash), it's too bad they've hired them all to simply play "Michael Says."
   615. Davo Posted: July 20, 2019 at 12:56 PM (#5863450)
I would like to propose a new rule. NEW RULES:

Children’s movies can no longer have sub-plots about grown-ups falling in love. Because it’s always boring and usually inappropriate.

NEW RULES

(Was watching the 2006 Curious George, which devotes a ton of time to the bumbling flirtations between an elementary school teacher and the Man in the Yellow Hat. Just...no. Gimme that monkey.)
   616. Davo Posted: July 20, 2019 at 01:14 PM (#5863455)
@EdgarWright
I once went to a screening of ‘Inland Empire’ at the Hammer Museum In LA where David Lynch was set to ‘introduce’ the film. He came out, played a drone on a keyboard for 10 minutes, then left without saying a word. He should do this before all movies, whether he made them or not
   617. Davo Posted: July 20, 2019 at 01:36 PM (#5863460)
@LanceStLaurent
Look, I know it’s been 5 hours since I saw THE LION KING, and I know I’m not the first person to mention this, but the “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” sequence is set during the daytime and I truly cannot fathom the reasoning behind that decision.
   618. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 20, 2019 at 03:56 PM (#5863486)
Was watching the 2006 Curious George, which devotes a ton of time to the bumbling flirtations between an elementary school teacher and the Man in the Yellow Hat.

Is that the one with the Jack Johnson soundtrack?
   619. Davo Posted: July 20, 2019 at 04:45 PM (#5863491)
618- Yes, and with Will Ferrel voicing the Man and Drew Barrymore the love interest. I actually like the way the music is used (they play bits of like 8 Jack Johnson songs throughout), and would love it if more movies followed that lead. (This is not an endorsement of Jack Johnson specifically—just of the practice of one-artist-dominated soundtracks.)
   620. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 20, 2019 at 04:57 PM (#5863494)
I actually like the way the music is used (they play bits of like 8 Jack Johnson songs throughout), and would love it if more movies followed that lead. (This is not an endorsement of Jack Johnson specifically—just of the practice of one-artist-dominated soundtracks.)

I also enjoyed the way the music was used throughout the movie.

I'm a Jack Johnson fan and had only heard the soundtrack until the boy watched the movie. It was surprisingly charming!

I'll cosign the one artist heavy soundtracks.
   621. Davo Posted: July 20, 2019 at 06:43 PM (#5863512)
Adam is a 2019 American comedy film directed by Rhys Ernst in his directorial debut, from a screenplay by Ariel Schrag, based upon the novel of the same name by Schrag. It stars Nicholas Alexander, Bobbi Menuez, Leo Sheng, Chloe Levine, and Margaret Qualley.

It had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 25, 2019. It is scheduled to be released on August 14, 2019, by Wolfe Releasing.

Plot

A heterosexual cisgender teenage boy pretends to be a trans man to get into a relationship with an adult lesbian.

A surprise 4-quadrant hit!
   622. Davo Posted: July 20, 2019 at 08:05 PM (#5863532)
Thinking back to the CATS argument between Vlad and Lassus on the previous page....

Emily Vanderwerff at Vox has a legitimately great essay on THE LION KING remake, “realism” in movies, and how our habit of pedantic nit-picking “criticism” in fact creates the very desire for the (shitty) “live-action” Disney remakes.

The problem is that companies like Disney and HBO are tilting ever more heavily toward the “realism” side of things, even when a story doesn’t necessarily need to be presented realistically. So far, Disney’s live-action remakes have mostly eschewed whimsy in favor of stories that attempt to flesh out the originals’ flimsy world-building, to better align with vaguely progressive 2019 politics, to cover up supposed plot holes, or even just to tug the story away from a G rating and toward PG or even PG-13.

But most stories are flimsy scaffolds, and the second you start messing with them too much, the audience’s suspension of disbelief collapses. The new Lion King has such surprisingly extensive thoughts on the policy differences between Mufasa and Scar that it led me to ask oodles of questions about how the world of The Lion King works, questions that never would have come up in the original. (A big one: So ... do the lions, like, schedule their hunts and let the antelope know, or ... ?)

Where does this obsession with realism come from, though? Well, it has at least something to do with our online discourse around pop culture, discourse that’s driven in part by websites like this one. A movie or story can never be just a movie or story; it’s also an opportunity to talk about what that movie or story “gets wrong” or how it messes up some political or sociocultural story point. It’s an opportunity to, more or less, fact-check fiction.

623. Davo Posted: July 20, 2019 at 09:30 PM (#5863541)
Marvel boss Kevin Feige made it official Saturday at the studio’s Comic-Con panel that Avengers: Endgame is clicking past Avatar‘s $2.7897 billion global box office this weekend to become the biggest film of all time at the box office. It took nine years, but it finally happened.
   624. Baldrick Posted: July 20, 2019 at 09:31 PM (#5863542)
Children’s movies can no longer have sub-plots about grown-ups falling in love. Because it’s always boring and usually inappropriate.

I'll probably regret asking this but what on earth are you talking about?
   625. BrianBrianson Posted: July 20, 2019 at 10:40 PM (#5863553)
Can't be worse than the actual IP the franchise has produced the last few years. I can't believe the high point of new Trek is that first stupid movie and a Discovery episode with Dwight from the Office. Everything else has oscillated between middling and "this is barely Star Trek and it sucks."

Hey, we also got a DS9 Documentary!
   626. BrianBrianson Posted: July 20, 2019 at 10:41 PM (#5863554)

If this is a shot at the Casey Jones-April O'Neil romance in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I won't hear it, and I won't respond to it.
   627. Hot Wheeling American Posted: July 20, 2019 at 11:06 PM (#5863557)
Hell yeah blade is back, baby
   628. Lassus Posted: July 21, 2019 at 06:09 AM (#5863569)
Definitely an amazing day for someone who's been a Marvel fan for almost 50 years.

Still really don't care about Blade, though.
   629. Davo Posted: July 21, 2019 at 01:42 PM (#5863593)
I saw Abigail’s Party on YouTube last night, an early Mike Leigh film released as part of the BBC’s Play for Today series (discussed by Ben Broussard on post 577).

One thing I had a hard time with at first was the theatricality of the performances, which seemed to clash with the more subdued naturalism of the setting, the events, and the content of the dialogue. But I eventually picked up what he was doing: the characters all seem so “theatrical” because the characters are all play-acting as the type of person they want to be seen as! Beverly is the hostess of the party, and it’s her first time doing something like this (at least since joining the suburban middle-class), and she’s insecure, and she attempts to cover up this insecurity by acting like a perfect host.

(Her husband Lawrence, meanwhile, is “artificial” for a different reason: he’s stuck in a miserable marriage, but he doesn’t want the party guests to know that, so he’s playing off the hatred between he and his wife as just playful disagreements.)

It’s a really wonderful setup, as the defensive artifices they’ve set up gradually slip away and the inevitable conflicts rise to the surface.

As far as structure, this isn’t my favorite (throwing awful adults in a room and wait for them to eat each other is basically Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf), but it’s still really, really good. Highly recommend. And—you can just see it on YouTube, for free!)

I continue to love Mike Leigh and am sad it took me this long to find his work (though I do suspect I’d have not connected with his movies as strongly if I had seen them as a younger man.)
   630. Davo Posted: July 21, 2019 at 02:28 PM (#5863600)
I am watching an old Twilight Zone episode, and a character just mentioned this player by name, which....that’s a deep cut! (I’d never heard of him!)
   631. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: July 21, 2019 at 03:24 PM (#5863615)
Visual of Pain pills issued per person per year in US from 2006-2012 from DEA

I just thought this was amazing. If others think inappropriate please let me know
   632. Davo Posted: July 21, 2019 at 03:37 PM (#5863616)
I am reading a best-selling spy thriller. There have so far been 2 female characters. The first is Miss Swivven who is described as—

She was in her late twenties, lush of body, with thick, honey-colored hair. (...)”Very nice-looking woman,” he told himself. “Very lush. Skin like snow. And most gifted in what, in English, is referred to as the knockers.”

The second is Hannah Stern:

She’s got a fair set of boobs, that’s for sure. Taut little ass. But a little skinny in the arms and waist for my taste.
   633. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 21, 2019 at 03:45 PM (#5863618)
Mark Kermode picks 25 of the best children's movies. (Grauniad)

I've heard of less than half, and some of the choices I definitely disagree with. But I suppose the former element is a point in the list's favour, after all.
   634. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: July 21, 2019 at 03:54 PM (#5863621)
633--Thanks for sharing. These lists where all the best stuff are from the beginning of whatever space is being discussed I always find suspect. In baseball for example lists always have Babe Ruth at the top and I am like. So this list is kind of interesting but the best kids movies are from when movies were just getting started? C'mon. Evolution always wins
   635. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 21, 2019 at 04:13 PM (#5863628)
I think Kermode has tried to spread the movies fairly evenly across era (I'm assuming it's not ranked), though there are three from the last 4 years. I'm a little tickled to see "Dougal and the Blue Cat" there, since that was a movie that my father insisted was a British classic but which no-one else I knew had ever heard of. (Also, of course, The Magic Roundabout was originally French anyway, but don't let my father catch you saying that.) Notable: No Pixar.
   636. Davo Posted: July 21, 2019 at 05:08 PM (#5863638)
One thing I’ve been trying to do with movies and novels lately is imagine what would happen if halfway through our hero learns that his father was on his death bed.

Did they have a good relationship? Would he visit him? Do they still live close? Is his mother still alive? Does he have siblings? If so, which would take the lead in arranging the end-of-life decisions?

I think a sign of a good work of fiction would be that different readers/viewers would come up with similar answers to those questions, even if there was no direct evidence in the text. (Like, I think everyone who reads it would guess that Emma Bovary was an only child even if Flaubert hadn’t told us.)
   637. Davo Posted: July 21, 2019 at 08:04 PM (#5863656)
   638. Howie Menckel Posted: July 21, 2019 at 08:22 PM (#5863662)
per 630, that player has a place in baseball history for several reasons:

- he caught the final 5 innings ever played at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn

- backup C for the 1959 World Series champion Dodgers; he had a key 12th inning hit against the defending champion Milwaukee Braves in a 3-game playoff to send the Dodgers to the Series

- bullpen coach for the 1969 Miracle Mets - he has a place in all the serious narratives about the team

- I believe he's still the only player to hit into a triple play in his final AB (and for the infamous 1962 Mets expansion team, no less)

for a mediocre career, that guy had a way of being memorable

(apologies for the baseball tangent. we now resume our originally scheduled programming)
   639. Davo Posted: July 21, 2019 at 08:49 PM (#5863664)
638- Thanks! That’s really cool. I suspect I might have recognized it at age 16, when I could devote basically my entire brain to baseball trivia. But now there’s all these competing things like birthdays and anniversaries and interest rates crowding it out.
   640. Howie Menckel Posted: July 21, 2019 at 09:32 PM (#5863669)
I was a young kid whose first "team" was the '69 Mets. The announcers always talked about those great tomatoes this coach would grow in the bullpen garden.

one of those silly things that, when a team goes on a wild, impossible run, seems as if it's part of the equation. so you stick with it, because why not?
   641. vortex of dissipation Posted: July 21, 2019 at 09:38 PM (#5863671)
633--Thanks for sharing. These lists where all the best stuff are from the beginning of whatever space is being discussed I always find suspect. In baseball for example lists always have Babe Ruth at the top and I am like. So this list is kind of interesting but the best kids movies are from when movies were just getting started? C'mon. Evolution always wins

The movies are listed in chronological order by release date. To quote the article -

The list is arranged not by merit but by date
   642. PreservedFish Posted: July 21, 2019 at 10:18 PM (#5863675)
I still don't get Cats, and I think that I'm generally not guilty of being snarky and anti-stuff. I endeavor to be the opposite. I just don't get Cats.
   643. Davo Posted: July 21, 2019 at 11:41 PM (#5863678)
Kinda weird that this weekend a baseball movie starring a guy in the DC Extended Universe was released (alongside one of the highest paid actresses on television), and I suspect there's not a single person on this site who saw it (or has even heard of it.)

Bottom of the 9th

Bobby Stano had everything going for him. Fresh out of high school, he was signed to the majors, had a beautiful girlfriend, everything was looking up. That is, until he and his friends get into a fight with a neighboring gang. The confrontation results in an accidental fatality and quickly changes Bobby’s life forever. He’s found guilty of murder and locked in prison for the next thirteen years. When Bobby is released, he’s faced with a vilified reputation, a relationship to rekindle and a new life to find.
   644. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 22, 2019 at 07:45 AM (#5863683)
I still don't get Cats, and I think that I'm generally not guilty of being snarky and anti-stuff. I endeavor to be the opposite. I just don't get Cats.

I think a fair amount is the strength of the song Memory. I know that sounds weird, but I think that contributes a bunch of it.
   645. Lassus Posted: July 22, 2019 at 07:52 AM (#5863686)
Kinda weird...

This is not particularly weird. I myself saw the trailer for this film for the very first time yesterday and had never heard of it prior. It told the entire story of the movie and seemed incredibly paint-by-numbers (like the current seemingly similar football movie that I've seen way, way more ads for). If you hadn't mentioned it, I'm pretty sure I would have never thought of it again.

As far as your other qualifiers, Manganiello is onscreen (and white-haired) for a grand total of two two-second post-credit scenes at the end of a widely panned film. And he and your highest-paid female TV actress are already recently yukking it up in a Hulu ad as a real-life couple, perhaps lessening the excitement of another on-screen pairing. Also, if you look at the highest-paid television actors and actresses, you'll run into blockbuster film star draws like Kaley Cuoco and Mark Harmon.

646. Davo Posted: July 22, 2019 at 10:31 AM (#5863747)
   647. Davo Posted: July 22, 2019 at 10:34 AM (#5863751)
I’ve seen...44 of them! I’ll look it over a bit more closely later today.

(Here’s the list in a simpler format)
   648. PreservedFish Posted: July 22, 2019 at 10:50 AM (#5863766)
That list seems highly in accord with my own sensibilities.
   649. jmurph Posted: July 22, 2019 at 11:03 AM (#5863771)
IndieWire presents the 100 Best Films of the Decade

I got to the 60s and thought "oh, turns out there haven't been 100 good films produced this decade."

EDIT: But really, there's a lot on that list I still need to see, thanks for posting.
   650. Hot Wheeling American Posted: July 22, 2019 at 11:21 AM (#5863781)
38 for the big dog (me). Good list.
   651. Davo Posted: July 22, 2019 at 11:44 AM (#5863789)
According to Letterboxd, there were 142,960 movies released in the 2010s, and I only saw 563 of them, so I mean, I can’t really judge.
   652. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 22, 2019 at 11:52 AM (#5863790)
Only 16 from that list for me - I guess my next spell of funemployment should include a catch-up.
   653. Man o' Schwar Posted: July 22, 2019 at 12:07 PM (#5863797)
I've only seen 10. There's a lot here I never even heard of. But I haven't set foot in a movie theater since I saw Moonrise Kingdom on a Saturday morning when I was the only person in the place, and I see that was 2012.

In terms of movies I did see from the 2010s, I'd like to have seen 50/50 on the list. It's one of my favorites from the last 10 years, and one of the better looks at male friendship that I've seen on screen.
   654. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: July 22, 2019 at 12:11 PM (#5863799)
641--thanks. My oversight
   655. Javy Joan Baez (chris h.) Posted: July 22, 2019 at 12:16 PM (#5863805)
I am serious when I say I'm glad you liked it. There was no Star Trek for so long that I felt obligated to pay for CBS All Access just to keep the franchise alive. But the second season killed that sense of obligation. So I am glad you will still be supporting it so that they will keep making it and maybe eventually make something I enjoy. Below the Decks certainly seems like something that could be in my wheelhouse.

Anson Mount was great, I'd never seen him in anything before but he made quite the impression. It's a fantastic cast they've assembled (other than the guy who plays Ash), it's too bad they've hired them all to simply play "Michael Says."

The Picard show has promise, and it looks like we're getting a number of TNG-era people appearing (Troi, Riker, Data, 7 of 9).

Also, they sort of teased the idea of a Pike series, and I want that more than anything.
   656. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: July 22, 2019 at 12:22 PM (#5863807)

Anson Mount was great, I'd never seen him in anything before but he made quite the impression.

What?! He was the male lead in the Britney Spears vehicle Crossroads!

More seriously he is known almost entirely for being the star of Hell On Wheels, the show about the Transcontinental Railroad that I always thought I should watch but never did.
   657. chisoxcollector Posted: July 22, 2019 at 12:28 PM (#5863814)
I've seen 59 of the films on the Indiewire list. Overall it seems like a pretty good list, though it may skew a bit serious for me.

I agree that I'd have had 50/50 somewhere in the top 50.
   658. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: July 22, 2019 at 12:36 PM (#5863816)
I think there are Cincinnati people here so wanted to share I had relatives attend the opera, Porgy and Bess, this weekend and they said it was great.
   659. Lassus Posted: July 22, 2019 at 12:37 PM (#5863817)
That seems like a glorious list full of films I either should have seen or would have laughed at, were I not in shit nowhere. Although as popular films go, somehow Wolf of Wall Street at #11 and Get Out at #21 is worth a side-eye. (It's worth a side-eye without the latter.)
   660. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: July 22, 2019 at 12:38 PM (#5863820)
Listened to "The Re-Watchables" podcast epidode of "No Country For Old Men", and then watched the movie on Netflix this weekend. The script has a phrase that will be familiar to baseball fans:

MOSS: Keep going. Don't stop.
DRIVER: I don't want to get in some kind of a jackpot here, buddy.

Moss reaches a hundred-dollar bill up to the driver.

MOSS: You're already in a jackpot. I'm trying to get you out of it. Now take me to a motel.
   661. Nasty Nate Posted: July 22, 2019 at 12:46 PM (#5863828)
Listened to "The Re-Watchables" podcast epidode of "No Country For Old Men", and then watched the movie on Netflix this weekend. The script has a phrase that will be familiar to baseball fans:

MOSS: Keep going. Don't stop.
DRIVER: I don't want to get in some kind of a jackpot here, buddy.

Moss reaches a hundred-dollar bill up to the driver.

MOSS: You're already in a jackpot. I'm trying to get you out of it. Now take me to a motel.
I think that is a Cormac McCarthy usage of the word.

What is the baseball connection?
   662. chisoxcollector Posted: July 22, 2019 at 12:46 PM (#5863829)
So I finished my Robert Redford films for the month of July. Ranked in order from best to worst:

1. Barefoot in the Park - Thanks to those of you that recommended watching this instead of The Great Gatsby. It was so breezy and fun. I loved this movie.

2. 3 Days of the Condor - Very good, though I didn't understand Faye Dunaway's actions.

3. Jeremiah Johnson - Slow, but the pace fit the material. My favorite Redford performance of the bunch.

4. The Natural - It was funny watching everybody call middle-aged Redford "Kid" in the beginning of the film. Good, but not great film.

5. Out of Africa - Not terrible, but nowhere near Oscar worthy. I was surprised by how little screen time Redford has.

Up next for August is Paul Newman. I've taken you're recommendations and will replace Towering Inferno with Slap Shot.

The Hustler
Cool Hand Luke
The Verdict
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Slap Shot
   663. Lassus Posted: July 22, 2019 at 12:50 PM (#5863832)
What is the baseball connection?

Thank you for asking.
   664. Davo Posted: July 22, 2019 at 12:54 PM (#5863836)
663- This argument between Mets manager Terry Collins and an umpire includes the “ass in the jackpot” line.

There was much discussion at the time here on how weird of a phrase that was. (I’d never heard it before, though it apparently shows up on both Homicide and The Wire too.)
   665. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 22, 2019 at 12:54 PM (#5863837)
More seriously he is known almost entirely for being the star of Hell On Wheels, the show about the Transcontinental Railroad that I always thought I should watch but never did.

Fascinating. I only know about Hell on Wheels because Colm Meaney is in it! Full Star Trek circle!
   666. Swoboda is freedom Posted: July 22, 2019 at 01:15 PM (#5863868)
Up next for August is Paul Newman. I've taken you're recommendations and will replace Towering Inferno with Slap Shot.

The Hustler
Cool Hand Luke
The Verdict
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Slap Shot

What are the Newman movies that you have seen? I hope you have seen Hud, Harper, and Hombre. Those would be good to add to the list.
   667. Swoboda is freedom Posted: July 22, 2019 at 01:28 PM (#5863875)
Up next for August is Paul Newman.

I have a funny story about Paul Newman. He ran several charities, including Hole in the Wall and Double H ranch for disabled and sick kids. My daughter is disabled and goes to Double H. Of course, Double H serves Newman's Own, both the drinks and salad dressing. So about 15 years ago, he is at camp, and is talking to one of the kids. The kid sees his picture on the lemonade and asks if he was kidnapped. She thought if you were on the carton, you must have been a missing person.
   668. Man o' Schwar Posted: July 22, 2019 at 01:35 PM (#5863879)
So about 15 years ago, he is at camp, and is talking to one of the kids. The kid sees his picture on the lemonade and asks if he was kidnapped. She thought if you were on the carton, you must have been a missing person.

That will be the funniest thing I read all week.
   669. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 22, 2019 at 01:42 PM (#5863887)
#666 Hail Swoboda!

According to #173:
Paul Newman - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sting, Road to Perdition, The Color of Money, Torn Curtain, Nobody's Fool
   670. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 22, 2019 at 01:46 PM (#5863892)
Oooh, The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean is another to consider.
   671. chisoxcollector Posted: July 22, 2019 at 02:07 PM (#5863902)
Thanks CoB for posting the meager list of Paul Newman films I've seen.

Cool Hand Luke, The Verdict, and The Hustler are set in stone for this project. I'm open to suggestions as to which films should fill out the group of 5.

One thing I want to point out is the main reason I'm doing this project. It isn't necessarily to watch the 60 "best" films that I've never seen from this group of 12 actors. Though seeing some great films is certainly a pleasant byproduct of the project.

I'm trying to patch the biggest holes in my watch history. What I mean is, I hate when I'm talking about movies with somebody and a big, famous movie comes up that I have never seen. "I thought you said you were a movie buff!" is a phrase I'm hoping never to hear again.

This explains why I didn't want to replace Out of Africa with a better film, and why I don't want to replace The Verdict this month.

Basically, the larger the cultural footprint the film has, the more likely I am to include it in this project. If I can find 5 films for each actor that are both great AND famous, even better!
   672. Swoboda is freedom Posted: July 22, 2019 at 02:27 PM (#5863911)
I wouldn't replace the Verdict. I never liked Cat on a Hot Tin Roof that much. Burl Ives is terrific, but the rest of the movie falls flat and they had to tame it down from the play too much. I would recommend Hud. Newman is terrific, as is Melvyn Douglas, who won supporting actor. Patricia O'Neal also won for best actress. Based on Larry McMurtry novel.

If you really like Robert Altman, Buffalo Bill and the Indians is also a good revisionist Western, but Hud should be the choice.
   673. Swoboda is freedom Posted: July 22, 2019 at 02:29 PM (#5863912)
4. The Natural - It was funny watching everybody call middle-aged Redford "Kid" in the beginning of the film. Good, but not great film.

The funny thing about that movie is Wilford Brimley, who played Pops the manager, was only 2 years older than Redford. Redford was 48 and was playing 35.
   674. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: July 22, 2019 at 02:41 PM (#5863923)
So ... do the lions, like, schedule their hunts and let the antelope know, or ... ?

Seven male and seven female antelopes, young and succulent, are selected by drawing lots, and then assigned to present themselves at the sacrificial ground at a predetermined time for ritualized devouring. This happens at regularly scheduled intervals, and has gone on for as long as even the eldest antelopes can remember.
   675. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: July 22, 2019 at 02:47 PM (#5863924)
Cool Hand Luke, The Verdict, and The Hustler are set in stone for this project. I'm open to suggestions as to which films should fill out the group of 5.

If you've never seen Butch and Sundance, that's one of my handful of favorite movies ever. Very highly recommended.
   676. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 22, 2019 at 03:01 PM (#5863934)
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid?

Or this?
   677. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: July 22, 2019 at 03:22 PM (#5863942)
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid?

That one.
   678. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 22, 2019 at 03:28 PM (#5863943)
That one.

Ok, good (though he's seen it).

Because, if it were the other one, I might think you were pulling my lariat ...
   679. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: July 22, 2019 at 03:53 PM (#5863953)
I had no idea that there was an officially branded prequel to that movie, and now that I do, I kind of wish that I could un-remember it. But thanks for sharing anyway.
   680. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 22, 2019 at 03:57 PM (#5863955)
3. Jeremiah Johnson - Slow, but the pace fit the material. My favorite Redford performance of the bunch.

Well, since I was pimping the selection, I'm glad it seems you liked it.
   681. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: July 22, 2019 at 04:36 PM (#5863968)

I've never seen that one. Did they leave the cannibalism in the story, or take it out?
   682. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 22, 2019 at 04:52 PM (#5863975)
I'm afraid there's no Liver Eatin' in the flick. It's Redford after all and that's a bit too far even for Milius.

It's romanticized, no doubt, but it's Redford and Pollack and Milius and Will Geer and Stefan Gierasch and Utah and

Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right.
I ain't never seen 'em, but my common sense tells me the Andes is foothills, and the Alps is for children to climb! Keep good care of your hair! These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here! And there ain't no priests excepting the birds. By God, I are a mountain man, and I'll live 'til an arrow or a bullet finds me. And then I'll leave my bones on this great map of the magnificent...

(damn, but I loves me some Del Gue)

683. Davo Posted: July 22, 2019 at 05:14 PM (#5863983)
I made a list of my 40 favorite moves of the 2010s that didn't already show up on the IndieWire list:

1. Bellflower (2011, Evan Glodell)
2. Two Days, One Night (2014, the Dardennes)
3. Silence (2016, Martin Scorsese)
4. Poetry (2010, Lee Chang-dong)
5. Forget Me Not (2013, David Sieveking)
6. Good Time (2017, the Safdie Brothers)
7. John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017, Chad Stahelski)
8. Littlerock (2010, Mike Ott)
9. Split (2016, M. Night Shyamalan)
10. Breathe (2014, Melanie Laurent)

11. Soft in the Head (2013, Nathan Silver)
12. Smallfoot (2018, Karey Kirkpatrick)
13. Resident Evil: Retribution (2012, Paul W.S. Anderson)
14. The Other Side (2015, Roberto Minervini)
15. The Immigrant (2013, James Gray)
16. Unfriended (2014, Levan Gabriadze)
17. Exit Elena (2012, Nathan Silver)
18. The Edge of Seventeen (2016, Kelly Fremon Craig)
19. Gravity (2013, Alfonso Cuaron)
20. Werewolf (2016, Ashley McKenzie)

21. Heaven Knows What (2014, the Safdie Brothers)
22. Les Miserables (2012, Tom Hooper)
23. The Little Stranger (2018, Lenny Abrahamson)
24. The Comedy (2012, Rick Alverson)
25. The Three Musketeers (2011, Paul W.S. Anderson)
26. Upstream Color (2013, Shane Carruth)
27. Jupiter Ascending (2015, the Wachowskis)
28. Green Room (2015, Jeremy Saulnier)
29. Christmas, Again (2014, Charles Poekel)
30. Bleak Night (2010, Yoon Sung-hyun)

31. See You Next Tuesday (2013, Drew Tobia)
32. Wanderlust (2012, David Wain)
33. Stop the Pounding Heart (2013, Roberto Minervini)
34. Grigris (2013, Mahamat-Saleh Haroun)
35. Buzzard (2014, Joel Potrykus)
36. Goodbye, First Love (2011, Mia Hansen-Love)
37. Open Five (2010, Kentucker Audley)
38. Kati with an I (2010, Robert Greene)
39. Museum Hours (2012, Jem Cohen)
40. The Heart Machine (2014, Zachary Wigon)
   684. Davo Posted: July 22, 2019 at 05:14 PM (#5863984)
   685. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: July 22, 2019 at 08:59 PM (#5864037)
Kind of impressive on how the director of BLL managed to make Nicole Kidman look like a schoolteacher from the 19th century.
   686. Man o' Schwar Posted: July 22, 2019 at 11:42 PM (#5864073)
Kind of impressive on how the director of BLL managed to make Nicole Kidman look like a schoolteacher from the 19th century.

With the exception of Meryl Streep and Adam Scott, I didn't get a lot out of this season. I hear they're not planning on doing season 3 because it's too hard to get everyone's schedules to synch up, and I think I'm OK with that. Last night's finale was just... weird. Anticlimactic in so many ways.
   687. Howie Menckel Posted: July 23, 2019 at 12:34 AM (#5864082)
667 is so great
   688. Hysterical & Useless Posted: July 23, 2019 at 09:58 AM (#5864125)
Does the term "historical fiction" have to denote books set in the distant (ie, beyond the memory of anyone currently alive) past? Or just earlier than the lifetime of the author? [Or neither of the above?] I've read a couple of books recently dealing with events from my lifetime for which I think the term is apt:

The Girls, by Emma Cline; a young woman becomes a peripheral member of a cult-like group based on the Manson Family; and
American Woman, by Susan Choi; the story of a radical group, based on the Symbionese Liberation Army & Patty Hearst, told mostly through the perspective of another young, radical woman (who has been living underground because of her involvement in bombings which led to the imprisonment of her lover) who is enlisted to help them.

I found both quite gripping, less for their grounding in "real-life" events than in the way they explored the struggles of the young women at their centers. Not sure if it's just a function of age--I've always liked women--but it seems the older I get, the more I prefer hanging out with them, both IRL and in my reading.

Present company excepted, of course!
   689. jmurph Posted: July 23, 2019 at 10:12 AM (#5864130)
I found both quite gripping, less for their grounding in "real-life" events than in the way they explored the struggles of the young women at their centers. Not sure if it's just a function of age--I've always liked women--but it seems the older I get, the more I prefer hanging out with them, both IRL and in my reading.

Man I really relate to this when it comes to reading. I'm not sure I'm smart enough to fully articulate why, but I feel like contemporary women writers are just doing a better job at the moment fully exploring characters in a way that appeals to me.

Also I loved The Girls- I remember getting stuck reading it at like 3am after my (then) toddler would wake me up.
   690. Davo Posted: July 23, 2019 at 11:21 AM (#5864152)
Endings, Beginnings

An idealistic woman (Shailene Woodley) attempts to get her life on track financially and romantically but gets caught in a love triangle with a free-spirited bad boy (Sebastian Stan) and his more stable, scholarly best friend (Jamie Dornan) in this tender exploration of love and heartbreak from Drake Doremus (Like Crazy).
   691. Hysterical & Useless Posted: July 23, 2019 at 11:28 AM (#5864156)
I feel like contemporary women writers are just doing a better job at the moment

Yeah, other than the Iain Banks & Alastair Reynolds books (recommendations from Lassus) I've mostly been reading women lately: in addition to Cline and Choi, Halle Butler, Jennifer Egan, Rachel Cusk, and Rachel Kushner. All worthwhile, and most are excellent company as well.
   692. Davo Posted: July 23, 2019 at 12:12 PM (#5864179)
   693. PreservedFish Posted: July 23, 2019 at 12:17 PM (#5864182)
And me, I'm reading Davo's favorite, Knut Hamsun. The Growth of the Soil has so far been kind of a dour Norwegian version of Little House on the Prairie, but I expect some harrowing madness must emerge soon. I've read the author's Hunger, which reminded me of Notes from the Underground in its portrayal of a kind of crazy city man that just cannot deal with the modern world, and wastes away.
   694. Davo Posted: July 23, 2019 at 12:20 PM (#5864183)
Since Jair Bolsonaro was inaugurated as Brazil's president in January, the former military officer turned right wing populist politician has been vocal in his attacks on what he deemed the country's overly liberal institutions. On Thursday, Bolsonaro set his sights on Brazil's film industry, with the president threatening to shut down Agência Nacional do Cinema (ANCINE), the federal film funding agency, if it refused to apply government-backed "filters" on the movies it invested in.

Bolsonaro's comments came as he announced that ANCINE's offices would be moved from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil's cultural center where the movie industry is concentrated, to Brasilia, the political capital.

...Eduardo Valente, Brazil’s representative to the Berlin International Film Festival and former director of the Brasilia Film Festival, told the The Hollywood Reporter that the recent developments are “a warning sign that Brazil’s movie industry is being dismantled.”
   695. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 23, 2019 at 12:26 PM (#5864186)
Since Jair Bolsonaro was inaugurated as Brazil's president in January, the former military officer turned right wing populist politician has been vocal in his attacks on what he deemed the country's overly liberal institutions. On Thursday, Bolsonaro set his sights on Brazil's film industry, with the president threatening to shut down Agência Nacional do Cinema (ANCINE), the federal film funding agency, if it refused to apply government-backed "filters" on the movies it invested in.
Over/under on Fox News starting to bang the drum for this to happen here (never mind that films are funded privately here)? 12 hours? 6?
   696. Davo Posted: July 23, 2019 at 12:29 PM (#5864191)
Dismantling the NEA was prime 80s US Culture War stuff; I think that ship has sailed already!
   697. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 23, 2019 at 12:38 PM (#5864196)
I'm halfway through Ted Chiang's new book. It's very good. He's not a fancy stylist by any means but his prose is clean and propulsive and the ideas are interesting. Also picked up James Kelman's last book which I'm sure no one cares about but me!
   698. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: July 23, 2019 at 02:58 PM (#5864256)
I just finished "The Nickel Boys" by Colson Whitehead, and man was it heartbreaking. The survivors of the Florida reform school that inspired the novel have their own support group.

The only other thing I'd read by him was "Apex Hides the Hurt", which was meh. I do plan to check out "Underground Railroad" though.
   699. Davo Posted: July 23, 2019 at 03:14 PM (#5864261)
Radioactive

Based on Lauren Redniss's award-winning grahpic novel, Marjane Satrapi's (Persepolis) biopic stars Rosamund Pike as two-time Nobel Prize-winning scientist Marie Curie, highlighting the groundbreaking discoveries she made with her husband, Pierre (Sam Riley).
   700. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: July 23, 2019 at 04:10 PM (#5864282)
Landed on BLL being mediocre this season. Could have been salvaged by more semi-nude Nicole Kidman having sex with misc dudes but that didn't happen so yeah, mediocre. Kravitz character kind of pointless, really. But she did have the most brutal moment telling her hub that she never loved him which I have to think is worse than being told I no longer love you or that I hate you. Because hate comes from where love used to be if you believe all the songs. And I have had all kinds of women (and men) tell me they hate me and I am cool with that because it's still a feeling. But being told, yeah, you did nothing for me. Pretty harsh
Page 7 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Brian
for his generous support.