Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, June 01, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (June 2019)

The 2018-19 TV season is history, so here’s [Deadline’s] annual list of summer premiere dates for new series and new seasons of returning shows. It covers hundreds of broadcast, cable and streaming series bowing from mid-May through August in various dayparts.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: June 01, 2019 at 07:30 AM | 1297 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 13 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
   1. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: June 01, 2019 at 06:07 AM (#5847289)
July 26:
Veronica Mars (Hulu, Season 4; new network)

Were people really clamoring for more of this, particularly after Fan Service: The Movie?
   2. Omineca Greg Posted: June 01, 2019 at 08:43 AM (#5847299)
We're gonna miss you, Roky! (see what I did there?)

Chaos all around me
With its finger clinging
But I can hear you singing
In the corners of my brain

Every doubt that bound me
Every sound of riot
Everything is quiet
But the song that keeps me sane

I can hear your voice
Echoing my voice softly
I can feel your strength
Reinforcing mine

If you fear I'll lose my spirit
Like a drunkard's wasted wine
Don't you even think about it
I'm feelin' fine

I can hear your voice
Echoing my voice softly
I can feel your strength
Reinforcing mine

If you fear I'll lose my spirits
Like a drunkard's wasted wine
Don't you even think about it
I'm feelin' fine...

Erickson/Hall
   3. JJ1986 Posted: June 01, 2019 at 10:47 AM (#5847310)
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is one of the writers for the new Veronica Mars.
   4. Man o' Schwar Posted: June 01, 2019 at 02:58 PM (#5847361)
I will take more of Kristin Bell in anything she wants to be in.

We can hope that the new TV episodes are more like the old show than the movie.
   5. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 01, 2019 at 04:51 PM (#5847436)
@KeileyKaiser
Going to the movies alone is not sad or pathetic its actually quite nice and we really need to get rid of the stigma around people seeing movies by themselves

hear ye hear ye
   6. Baldrick Posted: June 01, 2019 at 06:00 PM (#5847456)
Were people really clamoring for more of this, particularly after Fan Service: The Movie?

I pretty much don't watch TV anymore, so I was clamoring, exactly. But I'll watch it. And my friends who DO watch a lot of TV and loved the original are absolutely thrilled.

It'll probably be fine but inessential. Like most of these things end up being.
   7. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 01, 2019 at 07:57 PM (#5847466)
   8. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: June 02, 2019 at 12:20 AM (#5847517)
Lunatic spoilerphobe that I am, I'm just now getting around to reading pre-air Deadwood reviews, and I was tickled by this:

This is not pandering in that obnoxious way that ... the wretched Veronica Mars movie pandered, but there's surely fan service involved in making sure you get appearances by as many characters in this world as possible, even if a few have to be shoehorned in.
   9. chisoxcollector Posted: June 02, 2019 at 09:30 AM (#5847541)
I'm certainly not clamoring for more VM, but I'll definitely watch it.

Gene Hackman was the subject of my blindspotting project for May. It was by far the best batch of movies yet. All five films were very good. I'd probably rank them:

1. Mississippi Burning - I was expecting this to be one of those misguided racial movies of the 80s, but it was really quite good.
2. No Way Out - I was shocked how much I enjoyed this.
3. The Conversation - Just as good as everyone says, though it's probably surprising that I have it rated below the first two films on this list.
4. Night Moves - Very good, but some of the Melanie Griffith stuff was creepy. She looked about 12.
5. French Connection II - Surprisingly good for a sequel you never hear much about.

Dustin Hoffman is June's subject. I watched my first Hoffman selection last night, Straw Dogs. I didn't fully understand the wife's POV or decisions, but the movie was pretty good overall. The remaining four Hoffman films are:

Papillon
Midnight Cowboy
Marathon Man
Kramer vs. Kramer (I saw this when I was a child, but don't remember anything about it)

10. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 02, 2019 at 12:22 PM (#5847550)
My wife and I saw Kramer vs Kramer in this very strange multi-plex in Toronto (I think!) back when it was first out. Each screening room in the theatre was very small, with maybe 4 or 5 rows of (very comfortable) seats, and a screen about the size of a present-day TV.

My favorite bit of dialogue from the film, a scene in an elevator:

Small boy (to mother): Mom, I gotta whistle.
Mother (angrily): Wait til we get to your father's. He'd love to hear you whistle.

(This is totally from memory, accuracy not guaranteed.)

For a long time, "whistling" was our favored euphemism for taking a leak.
   11. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: June 02, 2019 at 01:50 PM (#5847556)
For a long time, "whistling" was our favored euphemism for taking a leak.

That's a new one by me. It puts a whole new slant on the Disney tune, "Whistle While You Work".
   12. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: June 02, 2019 at 03:09 PM (#5847568)
I watched my first Hoffman selection last night, Straw Dogs. I didn't fully understand the wife's POV or decisions, but the movie was pretty good overall.

I saw this in college on a sheet hung in the dining hall for a quarter. When my roommate and I came back, we talked it up big time. The kids across the hall went to the late showing. When they came back, Mitch, who had a weird home life (super overprotective 68 year old adoptive mother), was unimpressed. SPOILER ALERT: I asked if he wasn't unnerved when they found their cat hung in their closet, he said, "No, people always hang cats in Natrona Heights!".
   13. Master of the Horse Posted: June 02, 2019 at 07:03 PM (#5847640)
I don't know if this counts as culture but my cousin who is going through culinary school sent me a strawberry rhubarb pie which is incredible. I am big on pie and this may be the pie of pies.
   14. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 02, 2019 at 07:30 PM (#5847648)
Every Sunday we go to the library, and my 5-year-old picks 5 movies for Family Movie Night, and then when we get home he decides he doesn’t want any of those 5 he just wants to watch THE POLAR EXPRESS again.
   15. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: June 02, 2019 at 07:57 PM (#5847654)
All you can do is try Davo!
   16. Howie Menckel Posted: June 02, 2019 at 09:11 PM (#5847671)
I don't know if this counts as culture but my cousin who is going through culinary school sent me a strawberry rhubarb pie which is incredible. I am big on pie and this may be the pie of pies.

my niece is a professional pastry chef (Napa CIA grad, possibly the first Irish-American pastry chef in the U.S.) and her boyfriend is a master chocolatier.

I'm not really a fan of dessert (and less so every year), so when she visits the challenge is to get me to eat one of their creations. some are pretty good, I guess, if you like that "fusion" sort of thing.
   17. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 02, 2019 at 09:55 PM (#5847686)
   18. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 02, 2019 at 11:14 PM (#5847726)
@moonshinemaude
the USA network is doing a “pride month” SVU marathon, which consists of gay and bi and trans characters being assaulted and murdered

seems like a bad decision to me, but I am not in the television programming business
   19. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: June 03, 2019 at 07:55 AM (#5847740)
I've never really watched many martial arts movies, but when I re-watch Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - as I did again over the weekend - I keep thinking that I should try more. Admittedly Ang Lee probably isn't the template for a lot of directors in the genre, but still.
   20. Rennie's Tenet Posted: June 03, 2019 at 09:00 AM (#5847751)
'SVU marathon"

Is there such a thing as Teen Month? The should be a marathon of SVU's teen hooker, teen stripper, teen sex ring, and hot mom sleeping with teens episodes. That's quality programming.

Happy Billy Joe McAllister Day.
   21. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 03, 2019 at 11:15 AM (#5847780)
Netflix has picked up worldwide rights to The Power of the Dog, a Western starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Elisabeth Moss. Oscar-winning director Jane Campion (The Piano) will direct.

The project, an adaptation of the 1967 novel by Thomas Savage, is scheduled to go into preproduction at the end of the year. The plot follows a jealous Montana ranch owner (Cumberbatch) who tries to destroy his brother and business partner’s new relationship.
   22. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 03, 2019 at 11:16 AM (#5847783)
Female directors hiring effete British character actors to play Montanan ranchers: so in right now!
   23. Nasty Nate Posted: June 03, 2019 at 11:38 AM (#5847785)
I remember not quite buying Jude Law and Nicole Kidman as Civil War era North Carolina folk in some movie.
   24. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: June 03, 2019 at 12:11 PM (#5847794)
"Cold Mountain", based on the book by Charles Frazier.

I've never really watched many martial arts movies, but when I re-watch Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - as I did again over the weekend - I keep thinking that I should try more.

One of my guilty pleasures is Jackie Chan movies.

25. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 03, 2019 at 12:16 PM (#5847795)
"Cold Mountain", based on the book by Charles Frazier.
Oh yeah, I remember reading that book years ago. Didn't see the movie though.
   26. Lassus Posted: June 03, 2019 at 12:20 PM (#5847797)
effete

Hmm?
   27. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 03, 2019 at 12:32 PM (#5847803)
I finished a book of film criticism by A.S. Hamrah last night (The Earth Dies Streaming,, and it was delightful. A sampling of my favorite reviews:

MICHAEL CLAYTON
There was a lot of driving in Michael Clayton. I like driving in movies but after a while Michael Clayton started to seem like a car ad—though it showed how a car ad can be liberal. That’s a message for our times.

JUNO
I can’t say anything about Juno because I didn’t see it. I didn’t see it because I hated Little Miss Sunshine so much. After I saw Little Miss Sunshine I really wished I hadn’t. I refuse to make that mistake again. If that’s what a feel good movie is, I can’t stand to feel that good. It’s physically painful for me to feel that good.

HOTEL ARTEMIS
I love the new Quad Cinema in Manhattan. The rep programming there is great. As I write this, they are doing an Elizabeth Taylor retrospective?—?The Sandpiper and Boom! are in it; people shouldn’t miss those. They just finished a major retrospective of British horror films made by Hammer Films in the 1950s and ’60s with thirty-two films, two dozen of which were shown on 35mm film, including Frankenstein Created Woman. But whenever I go to see something there that I plan to write about, something weird happens.

This time it was my own fault. I went to see Jean Cocteau’s 1948 film Les parents terribles, which has not been officially released in the US until now, but I forgot my MoviePass card. I wasn’t going to not use MoviePass to see it, so I didn’t go in. The next night, there was a preview screening going on for a new movie called Hotel Artemis, a Hollywood “dystopian neo-noir crime” movie starring Jodie Foster, directed by the guy who cowrote Mission: Impossible?—?Rogue Nation. The lobby of the Quad was filling up with paparazzi and the theater staff had been thrown into confusion by their arrival. I ran into a writer I know who was going to see Les parents terribles, too, and we got in the line we were instructed to get into so we would not disrupt the Hotel Artemis crowd. “This is the line for Les parents blahblahblegh,” the staff member yelled, speaking French like Pee-wee Herman in Pee-wee’s Big Adventure.

The paparazzi elbowed people out of the way and called to each other through us and over our heads, like shoppers hailing each other in Walmart or Ikea. Publicists ran around nervously and came in three types. Types One and Two were well-dressed middle-aged men who looked like either Tim Gunn or Roger Stone. Type Three was impossibly skinny chicks in their early twenties dressed in very tight midlength skirts who worked for the Gunn-Stone men.

A fourth group was there to keep the peace, rent-a-cops in dark gray blazers with logo patches on the front pockets. They were from PSI, which “provides world-class security for special events and all aspects of the entertainment industry including major motion picture studios, iconic landmarks, and celebrities.” Is that in order of importance? After the manager announced that the Cocteau film would be starting half an hour late because of this excitement, some people on line groaned. One of the security guys from PSI came over to reassure us. “Don’t worry folks, we’re gonna load you in soon,” he said, making an open-palmed pushing gesture with his hands at waist level.

When we were finally seated to watch the movie we had come to see, the Quad staff passed out free popcorn, which was nice. I will never see Hotel Artemis, but thanks for that.

THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES
Feeling unwell and without health insurance, I visited a walk-in clinic in my neighborhood, Red Hook. While sitting in the waiting room with about twenty other people, half of them children under ten, a security guard wheeled in a TV and a DVD player on a stand. He popped open the tray and put in a DVD so everyone waiting would have something to watch.

An MPAA warning appeared on the screen: “Some material may not be suitable for children for scary creature action and violence, peril and some thematic elements.” Then the movie started, but it was strangely framed and hard to see. The color was washed out, everything had a brownish tinge. At first I thought the main actor was Dustin Hoffman, but as the film went on I realized it was David Strathairn. The movie was loud and obnoxious, featuring realistic sword fights between children and computer-generated goblins.

It was like a zombie movie for 11-year-olds, relentless and terrible, something no one should watch, especially in a health clinic in a poor neighborhood, especially me when I was sick and maybe dying. Why was this on?

The TV was so loud I couldn’t read the book I’d brought. Pretty soon I realized I was watching a Canal Street bootleg of The Spiderwick Chronicles, a movie currently playing in theaters. I saw eighty minutes of it before a doctor called me in. The Spiderwick Chronicles sucks. Don’t go see it and don’t show it to kids.

You may think it’s unfair to judge a movie based on seeing eighty minutes of a pirated DVD in a health-clinic waiting room. The banks of fluorescent lights did not create an optimum screening environment, it’s true, nor did the moans of pain, nor the old lady sitting next to me wearing headphones and singing along about Jesus. But as I sat there, in pain myself and barely able to focus, I realized that this was the future of moviegoing, that this was how most of the world already sees movies. This was reality, not sitting next to David Denby watching Little Children at a press screening in Lincoln Center, something I’d done in another life.
   28. BrianBrianson Posted: June 03, 2019 at 12:46 PM (#5847809)

I don't see why you'd feel guilty about it. Unless you mean to type Jackie Chan's music.
   29. Lassus Posted: June 03, 2019 at 12:59 PM (#5847815)
Were your least-favorite reviews the ones where he reviews films?
   30. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 03, 2019 at 12:59 PM (#5847816)
strawberry rhubarb pie which is incredible. I am big on pie and this may be the pie of pies

I first had strawberry rhubarb pie in the college cafeteria when I was an undergrad, circa 1973. You can say any bad thing you like about cafeteria food, but for my money, anyplace that has strawberry rhubarb pie rates multiple Michelin stars. OM effing G.
   31. Master of the Horse Posted: June 03, 2019 at 01:04 PM (#5847821)
27--I get it now. Anything more than 5 people like in a movie you think is trash. And that the people who like trash are stupid. Weird way to go through life but I guess it works for you
   32. Master of the Horse Posted: June 03, 2019 at 01:06 PM (#5847822)
30--when the wife cut some pieces, really small but still, for the kids I was like WTF but only in my head.
   33. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 03, 2019 at 01:11 PM (#5847826)
for the kids I was like WTF

I never shared maple syrup with my kids. I had them do a taste test and they preferred the fake stuff, so I made the real mccoy off limits.

I mean, the stuff costs like $100 a gallon, you're gonna waste it on somebody who prefers Aunt Jemima?
   34. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 03, 2019 at 01:13 PM (#5847830)
I was a big pie fan as a kid - my grandparents were farmers, and my grandmother would make all kinds of fresh fruit pies from their garden/trees. I remember being disappointed to find that a pie was rhubarb. Not understanding seasonality, I wanted apple or peach or raspberry. But of course, in the early spring, rhubarb was the only thing that was growing. The strawberries ripened a little later.

By the way, if you have not had the experience of picking fresh, sun-warmed strawberries and eating them right off the plant, you should absolutely do so. They're about infinity million times better than the giant mutants you get at the store.
   35. Master of the Horse Posted: June 03, 2019 at 01:15 PM (#5847831)
33--good advice. But when I suggested later that maybe this super delicious pie maybe should be dedicated to a select few in the family I got the don't be selfish line.
   36. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 03, 2019 at 01:19 PM (#5847834)
31- Hamrah is one of the few writers I’ve come across who’s able to make the obvious observation that 99% of Hollywood movies are garbage. That should be the bare minimum we expect from our film critics but alas...
   37. BrianBrianson Posted: June 03, 2019 at 01:19 PM (#5847835)
I - uhm, what? Okay, I guess it's cultural blind spot stuff, but I've always thought of Strawberry-Rhubarb as a pretty basic pie. Alongside Apple & Pumpkin, easy to make, often seen at occasions where you'd serve pie. Also, a pie I can't make much better than a store-bought one, so not that worth worrying about (unlike say mincemeat, which is always worth making yourself). Hell, my wife made a couple about two weeks ago, as we have friends whose rhubarb was in good need of a cutting back (and strawberries are now seasonal).
   38. jmurph Posted: June 03, 2019 at 01:41 PM (#5847842)
33--good advice. But when I suggested later that maybe this super delicious pie maybe should be dedicated to a select few in the family I got the don't be selfish line.

On numerous occasions I have insisted upon taking home a not yet finished pie we brought to a family gathering, rather than leave it behind for my ungrateful relatives to finish. I am fully aware that this reflects poorly on me, but man, we only make the maple syrup pie (for instance) once or twice a year at most.
   39. jmurph Posted: June 03, 2019 at 01:43 PM (#5847844)
31- Hamrah is one of the few writers I’ve come across who’s able to make the obvious observation that 99% of Hollywood movies are garbage. That should be the bare minimum we expect from our film critics but alas...

I tend to disagree with Davo on the specifics of his taste, but I broadly agree on this general stance.
   40. BrianBrianson Posted: June 03, 2019 at 01:46 PM (#5847848)
I never shared maple syrup with my kids. I had them do a taste test and they preferred the fake stuff, so I made the real mccoy off limits.

Lord thunderin' Jesus! To quote Bender Bending Rodriguez, have you ever tried turning off the TV, sitting down with you child, and hitting them?
   41. Hot Wheeling American Posted: June 03, 2019 at 01:49 PM (#5847849)
What is the bible's position on snark?
   42. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 03, 2019 at 01:53 PM (#5847851)
41- Pro.

Then they went in and did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. And it happened, as they were greatly perplexed about this, that behold, two angels stood by them in shining garments. Then, as they were afraid and bowed their faces to the earth, they said to them, “Why do you seek the living among the dead?

kitty likes to scratch!
   43. JJ1986 Posted: June 03, 2019 at 01:58 PM (#5847852)
That Hotel Artemis 'review' is sooooo bad.
   44. Swoboda is freedom Posted: June 03, 2019 at 02:06 PM (#5847855)
I really liked the book Cold Mountain and really hated the film. Nicole Kidman looked strange (start of all her plastic surgery), and all Zellweger did was squint all movie.
   45. PreservedFish Posted: June 03, 2019 at 02:06 PM (#5847856)
I enjoyed the excerpts in #27. I don't know if this critic is a shameless iconoclast or what, but the writing is jaunty and humorous and so it's fine by me. It's not like Hotel Artemis and The Spiderwick Chronicles are exactly sacred cows, they're pretty easy targets, and exactly zero percent of his readers care what he thinks about these movies. They're not supposed to be reviews, obviously, they're just musings on the state of cinema.

The detail about the security guard "making an open-palmed pushing gesture with his hands at waist level" cracked me up.
   46. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 03, 2019 at 02:07 PM (#5847859)
The other day I saw Certain Women, where Jared Harris plays a rough Montanan rancher, and...it was too much.
   47. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: June 03, 2019 at 02:07 PM (#5847861)

Hopefully after observing this our intelligent film critics would decide not to waste their time writing about said films that are all not worth watching, but alas...
   48. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 03, 2019 at 02:27 PM (#5847871)
Why would you assume from that that garbage movies are not worth watching, or that there’s no value in pointing out their garbage-ness?
   49. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 03, 2019 at 02:42 PM (#5847875)
On Coming Out As Trans at 37.

TV and film critic Todd Vanderwerff is now Emily Vanderwerff. Update your spreadsheets!
   50. Lassus Posted: June 03, 2019 at 02:43 PM (#5847876)
I enjoyed the excerpts in #27. I don't know if this critic is a shameless iconoclast or what, but the writing is jaunty and humorous and so it's fine by me. It's not like Hotel Artemis and The Spiderwick Chronicles are exactly sacred cows, they're pretty easy targets, and exactly zero percent of his readers care what he thinks about these movies. They're not supposed to be reviews, obviously, they're just musings on the state of cinema.

I have to disagree in this case. This person sounds like an asshole looking down their nose at other people. I see no musing whatsoever.
   51. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 03, 2019 at 02:53 PM (#5847881)
sitting down with you child, and hitting them?

Why would I want to hit them? They reduced our food costs and left way more maple syrup for me. Total win!
   52. Master of the Horse Posted: June 03, 2019 at 02:55 PM (#5847883)
50-agreed. This whole only I know what is good and I am here to tell you most everything is bad thing is really super tedious.
   53. BrianBrianson Posted: June 03, 2019 at 03:07 PM (#5847887)
Well, each parent has to work out what works for them, I guess.

Still, I wouldn't feel I was doing right by my rugrat if I raised him to prefer table syrup.

Of course, I was joking about hitting them. Better to take a six week vacation to a cabane a sucre with no wifi.
   54. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 03, 2019 at 03:26 PM (#5847894)
   55. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 03, 2019 at 04:37 PM (#5847913)
What are some rom-coms that end with the over-achieving go-getter Guy winding up with the lazy slacker Girl?
   56. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 03, 2019 at 04:46 PM (#5847917)
@FCardamenis
Hollywood hasn't funded a David Lynch work in TWENTY YEARS and now they are giving him an Honorary Oscar.
   57. BrianBrianson Posted: June 03, 2019 at 04:54 PM (#5847921)
Bridget Jones' Diary, maybe?

The David & Natalie plot of Love, Actually?

I'm not sure I'd call Renee Zellweger's character in Jerry Maguire a slacker type ...

Clueless?
   58. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 03, 2019 at 05:07 PM (#5847927)
(I ask because ALWAYS BE MY MAYBE is the “super ambitious girl settles for the slacker dude after the dude promises to be slightly less of a slacker” plot, and I’m seeing a lot of female critics point out how tired they are of seeing that exact gender dynamic play out in rom-coms. I hadn’t thought of it before! But then I did!)
   59. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 03, 2019 at 05:26 PM (#5847934)
Relatedly, are there any romantic comedies that involve the woman changing in any way so as to be worthy of the man?
   60. BrianBrianson Posted: June 03, 2019 at 05:45 PM (#5847938)
Huh - it's perhaps the basic plot of rom-coms. If you watch a lot (and I don't, really, but I don't avoid them), it's hard to miss. There are some where the guy is well put together, but none-the-less needs help for some reason (say, Kate & Leopold - Leopold is very competent, handsome, etc, except for the "swept into the future" bit). I did watch Always Be My Maybe and rather liked it, to be fair. But Ali Wong and guy from Fresh off the Boat are both very likeable - the movie plot is beside the point.

I have to assume the trope exists because it tests well with audiences, and (for rom-coms) those audiences are primarily women. That's when the smart, ambitious, likeable main character has one flaw that makes her more relatable (probably clumsiness) - insert yourself there and it's kinda flattering. Then man is a bit of a doofus, but you redeem him: flattering, and I kinda see it as a gender reversing of kill the dragon, marry the princess. And "Sure, your boyfriend is a bit of a loser, but he's got potential and you can redeem him with the power of love" could be a nice bit of escapism.

While, I don't think feminist critics would like a rom-com premised on a woman who is a loser and needs a man to redeem her. There might be a narrow window; I don't think I've seen a lot of feminist hate for I Love Lucy, which is pretty nearly the formula reversal, but I have to suspect it's largely driven by Lucille Ball being the driving creative force behind it. Maybe one can parallel Melissa McCarthy in Spy, but if I recall correctly, the ending is kinda ambiguous about her ending up with Statham? But something like that might work. I think it'd be really, really tough though. If I were a studio exec, I wouldn't make that movie unless I could 100% blame/credit a relatable seeming woman for it.
   61. BrianBrianson Posted: June 03, 2019 at 05:48 PM (#5847940)
What are some rom-coms that end with the over-achieving go-getter Guy winding up with the lazy slacker Girl?

Relatedly, are there any romantic comedies that involve the woman changing in any way so as to be worthy of the man?

Alright, I got it: True Lies.

Which is clearly a rom-com aimed at men. So it fits my way of thinking.
   62. Cowboy Popup Posted: June 03, 2019 at 06:43 PM (#5847954)
Boomerang? Halle Berry and her character bring absolutely nothing to the table as an unambitious admin while Eddie Murphy’s character is successful exec. Eddie Murphy does more to change than Berry does in the movie though.

Oh, You’ve Got Mail I think. Meg Ryan has to get over her pretentiousness and haterade so thatt she can get with Tom Hanks’ rich ass.

French Kiss too, right? Kevin Kline is way out of Ryan’s league in that movie IMO and she needs to learn to take risks before he’s willing to seriously consider as a partner. Meg Ryan did not shy away from playing initially unlikeable female leads.

Miss Congeniality! Sandra Bullock definitely sweats Benjamin Bratt in that movie. And, I think, her character does all the changing because his character is really just a cardboard cutout.

I am fascinated by this question and will continue to think of bad examples.
   63. Omineca Greg Posted: June 03, 2019 at 06:44 PM (#5847955)
OK, as we're talking about pies, I'll tie in my favourite dessert I had while I was in Dalmatia.

Now, Croatians seem to favour walnuts in their pastries, which is too bad for me...I'm a hazelnut fan first...but almonds, pecans, they're good too. You could get orehnjača everywhere, and don't me get me wrong, they were good, but I had to admit I was missing my more preferred pastry nuts. What? I'm a baker, of course I take interest in these things!

And then I tried the Splitska Torta. Meringues with ground nuts in them are always the best meringues. Japonais, nut meal meringues (usually almond, but hazelnut too, heck, you never want to get nailed down to a too specific definition when it comes to things like this), are one of the important ingredients in European Baking; if meringues have never done it for you, I don't blame you at all, they can sometimes taste like sugary styrofoam (although the best ones can be sublime). But even the most sad-ass japonais is wonderful. Just wonderful...

So...you guessed it, a Splitska torta, uses a nut meringue...but it's walnut. And between the layers of walnut meringue is a bog standard vanilla custard (I see some recipes use orange, or lemon, or both, in the custard, I never had one like that, so I can't speak to those ones). OK, so what, nut meringue, vanilla custard, "big whoop" you're thinking, delicious, sure...but what's the big deal?

Well...

The big deal is the other two ingredients in the meringue. Chopped up nice and fine...

Raisins.

Figs.

What you get in a Splitska torta is like a pastry chef's version of trail mix. Delicious trail mix. Like you don't need to smoke a bowl before it tastes good trail mix. This is just an incredible dessert, and very simple. Regular meringue, regular custard, any qualified baker could make this in their sleep. But it's great...so great...makes me wish I'd come up with it myself. And the walnuts are fantastic in it...I don't know...the walnuts make it taste folksy...less refined, more down to earth. OK, here's your recipe...

Splitska torta

Well, what would make a good accompanying beverage to that? Coffee would be good.

But you know what would be better?

Coffee spiked with Orahovac. That's walnut liqueur, but as it's made with green walnuts, the flavour is maybe a little different than you might be expecting. The Italian "nocino", and the French "liqueur de noix" are very similar, although the Croatian take on it is slightly drier, and with a whole lot more fire. Anyway, I would pour a small amount orahovac into some piping hot espresso (no reason to go crazy with the liquor) and float some lightly whipped cream on top... there you go!. Walnut meringue...walnut coffee, cream and custard, figs and raisins. Yes, yes, that would be nevjerojatan! I've had both the torta and the orahovac caffè corretto...but, alas, not at the same time. Oh well, maybe next time.
   64. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 03, 2019 at 06:49 PM (#5847956)
Matthew Vaughn lists his Top 10 films for a BFI Poll
Back to the Future
Being There
Deer Hunter, The
Good, the Bad and the Ugly, The
Lawrence of Arabia
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Reservoir Dogs
Rocky III
Scarface
Star Wars

cmon find a worse and more boring list I dare you
   65. strong silence Posted: June 03, 2019 at 06:56 PM (#5847957)

Trainwreck. Very funny film. My wife and I loved it. LeBron plays a cheapskate.
   66. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: June 03, 2019 at 06:57 PM (#5847958)
Pass.
   67. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: June 03, 2019 at 07:03 PM (#5847959)
In Music & Lyrics Drew Barrymore's character isn't a slacker exactly, but she's definitely an underachiever who isn't trying very hanrd and doesn't have her #### together. I mean, she waters plants for a living! Then Hugh Grant more or less forces her to use her talents and MFA program training to co-write a hit song for a Christina Aguilera-ish pop singer.

Hugh Grant's character is also quite lazy, but he's living on the residuals from his random '80s hit single and so doesn't really need to do anything useful with his life.
   68. Omineca Greg Posted: June 03, 2019 at 07:15 PM (#5847961)
Oh, now that I'm here, let me vouch for the quality of the films in #17.

Watch a movie made by lesbians for lesbians, instead of lesbian movies made by straight men for straight men (you know the movies I'm talking about, don't lie, I can see your cache from here (I've thrown in with Huawei)). The production values aren't high budget, but if you're interested in experiencing a different point of view on sexuality, they're intriguing.
   69. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: June 03, 2019 at 07:17 PM (#5847962)
A guy I know who at one point was a fairly prominent libertarian blogger once had a top-5 movie list that was the top five all-time inflation-adjusted highest grossing films (because the point of art is to make a #### ton of money), minus Titanic (because the class-based stuff in the movie was just liberal claptrap agitating for the equal treatment of shiftless and idle villains like Leonardo DiCaprio and the Irish). This was about 2000, so I think the list would've been Gone With the Wind, Star Wars, the Sound of Music, E.T., and the Ten Commandments.

There was a certain element of self-mockery in the list.
   70. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 03, 2019 at 07:57 PM (#5847965)
69–Zizek’s list for the same Sight & Sound poll similarly on brand:

This time, I opted for pure madness: the list contains only ‘guilty pleasures’, from two screen versions of Ayn Rand to a top Nazi melodrama, from David Lynch’s greatest flop to height of musical kitsch, from a low-budget Hollywood action thriller to a Chinese big-budget historical spectacle, plus a half-forgotten Western and two marginal noirs. This is what I really enjoy – no compromises for high quality or good taste.
   71. Master of the Horse Posted: June 03, 2019 at 08:39 PM (#5847971)
For a movie that everyone but one person here will admit to watching because it's totally in this demographics hot zone Wrath of Khan has two secondary characters who could not be more different in what they bring to the movie. Khan's second rocks the house as the voice of reason against Khan being Ahab. Meanwhile the guy playing the son is wearing a sweater for half the movie around his neck while also making obvious comments with big eye action. For being terrible it's kind of a fun movie but helps having a classic as the foundation, right?
   72. Master of the Horse Posted: June 03, 2019 at 08:40 PM (#5847972)
Oh and the dude telling the captain that the power is back available for them to be able to escape destruction totally underplays sharing this information. Sir the mains are back on line like he's ordering a no skim latte at Starbucks. Kills me
   73. Master of the Horse Posted: June 03, 2019 at 08:47 PM (#5847974)
Though the bagpipes playing when they shoot the corpse into space is cool. I dig bagpipes
   74. PreservedFish Posted: June 03, 2019 at 08:59 PM (#5847980)

Plenty of good and great movies in that list. It's certainly "boring" because there's very little diversity and they're all popular and/or acclaimed. It also might be an extremely honest list, far more honest, probably, than the list of anyone self-conscious enough to worry about how "boring" his list might appear to others.
   75. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 03, 2019 at 09:10 PM (#5847986)
It is in every respect an appropriate list from the director of the Kingsman movies.
   76. BrianBrianson Posted: June 03, 2019 at 10:00 PM (#5847991)
@63 - yeah, North Americans don't get much out of the Walnut. Pickled walnuts are probably my favourite way to eat them, but I had to move to Europe to encounter them.
   77. Lassus Posted: June 03, 2019 at 11:07 PM (#5848002)

You're miserably insufferable. Back to the Future and The Deer Hunter have too much of the common man? Too much of the Clay for you? Is the air too thick with the stench of normalcy and lacking the purity of fewer oxygen molecules that have been touched by the dullards watching such films?
   78. Lassus Posted: June 03, 2019 at 11:09 PM (#5848003)
Music & Lyrics has one of the most brilliant music video parodies in the history of recorded moving images.
   79. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: June 03, 2019 at 11:30 PM (#5848005)
77- Yeah, basically. “My ten favorite movies are all Hollywood blockbusters from the last 50 years” is just another way of saying “I’m a terrible bore.”
   80. Hot Wheeling American Posted: June 03, 2019 at 11:39 PM (#5848006)
It is in every respect an appropriate list from the director of the Kingsman movies.

The more Davo types, the more weight I give the anti-critic position that argues 'well, why don't you make something'. Good god.
   81. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: June 03, 2019 at 11:51 PM (#5848008)
just another way of saying “I’m a terrible bore.”

Oh, friend, after Speed Racer, what forgiveness?
   82. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: June 04, 2019 at 04:10 AM (#5848016)
For a movie that everyone but one person here will admit to watching because it's totally in this demographics hot zone Wrath of Khan has two secondary characters who could not be more different in what they bring to the movie. Khan's second rocks the house as the voice of reason against Khan being Ahab. Meanwhile the guy playing the son is wearing a sweater for half the movie around his neck while also making obvious comments with big eye action. For being terrible it's kind of a fun movie but helps having a classic as the foundation, right?

I've done a few of the social media 'name your favorite 10 movies/books/Prussian generals' type of circulars, and pretty much every time I go through the thought process of "is it too nerdy to include Wrath of Khan? Too bad, it's just that good". I also like the story that Nick Meyer got a decent performance out of Shatner by basically filming take after take after take until Shatner got tired of ACTING and just started acting.
   83. manchestermets Posted: June 04, 2019 at 04:29 AM (#5848017)
nut meal meringues (usually almond, but hazelnut too, heck, you never want to get nailed down to a too specific definition when it comes to things like this), are one of the important ingredients in European Baking

Hang on, are you saying a macaron is actually a meringue?
   84. Alex meets the threshold for granular review Posted: June 04, 2019 at 04:46 AM (#5848018)

Probably taking this too seriously, because I object to and even somewhat resent the concept of a "guilty" pleasure, but...

Even if you believe in the idea of a guilty pleasure, what's there to feel guilty about with Jackie Chan? He's one of the most skilled martial artists in film history, on top of which he has the comic instinct and timing - yet combined with far greater physical dexterity - of Buster Keaton. He's quite possibly the single most entertaining actor in the history of film. It'd be like feeling guilty for liking the Ramones because it's not Tchaikovsky.
   85. Alex meets the threshold for granular review Posted: June 04, 2019 at 04:50 AM (#5848019)
@FCardamenis
Hollywood hasn't funded a David Lynch work in TWENTY YEARS and now they are giving him an Honorary Oscar.

And boo to the Academy and all, but it's hard to be upset since we somehow got a third-season revival of Twin Peaks, 18-hours-long, directed from start to finish by the man himself, with complete creative control. I don't think there are superlatives enough to capture that miraculous reality, especially given that it was as good or better than I would've dared to dream. Like, maybe the best work of his career, and this is a guy who made Eraserhead - the greatest debut feature ever, made while still studying at AFI - and Mulholland Drive, one of the three or four best films of the 21st century, despite being assembled from the scraps of a failed pilot.

I really like Twin Peaks S3, if you couldn't tell.

But yes, please - let's get another film or two out of the man if he's game.
   86. Alex meets the threshold for granular review Posted: June 04, 2019 at 04:56 AM (#5848020)
And yeah, sorry, that list is boring. I mean, several of those are fine films, one or two even great - but it's the combination of them, in toto, which is objectionably dull. There's nothing to jump out at you, to imply something interesting about the writer, which seems at all a product of genuine passion. And I say that as somebody who fears his own list of favorites is boring, though in a more hifalutin direction.
   87. Lassus Posted: June 04, 2019 at 05:50 AM (#5848021)
This is not in objectionable criticism in the slightest. But over the period of years covered, it isn't as if he's picking from only something like 100 films to end up with those ten. The sheer number of even just HOLLYWOOD films is easily over 1000 to get only ten, probably thousands, plural. There are certainly things to pick out of the list that are interesting if one cares about film more than listening to one's self talk about film. There are no war movies. Rocky III over the SERIOUS oh so serious earlier Rocky films. Godfathers are mercifully absent. Being There, while certainly lauded, is definitely an intimate film, and personally I do find some of the intimacy of the list notable in concert with that choice. Has there ever been a more intimate epic than Lawrence of Arabia?

I mean, I don't want to be ridiculous in my counter. The list is certainly ho-hum in a significant percentage, with Reservoir, Raiders, and Star Wars. But it does seems forgotten that the list comes from a working filmmaker, not a critic, and his choices would reflect that. I would counter that Davo's film commentary, in toto, is far more tiresome or objectionable than any words or thoughts that have ever come out of Matthew Vaughn.

88. Rennie's Tenet Posted: June 04, 2019 at 07:10 AM (#5848022)
The Vaughan list above includes a comment: "The ten films that most shaped me as a director." A look online reveals that Vaughan was born in 1971. His list includes Star Wars, which came out when he was six, Raiders at 10, Rocky 3 at 11, Back to the Future at 14, Reservoir Dogs at 20. My nephew was born in 1971, and if you threw in Clash of the Titans these were precisely the movies he watched a kajillion times when he was growing up. You then have a second line: Lawrence, the Good, the Bad,and the Ugly, Deer Hunter, Being There,and Scarface, which are filmmakers' movies. It makes perfect sense that these ten together would "shape" a director of his generation.
   89. BrianBrianson Posted: June 04, 2019 at 07:15 AM (#5848023)
And really, listing Star Wars as one of the ten top films is boring because it's so obviously true everyone does it. But if the BFI poll came back and the consensus top ten films were Carnosaur, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, Gigli, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Date Movie, Out for a Kill, Black Snake Moan, Cannibal Holocaust, Galaxy Quest, and 3 Ninjas, we'd rightly call them a bunch of tossers.

Even if Galaxy Quest is actually a very good film, and I quite like Carnosaur.
   90. Omineca Greg Posted: June 04, 2019 at 07:34 AM (#5848028)
Hang on, are you saying a macaron is actually a meringue?

Yes.

The thing I can't stress enough is how unstandardised names and terms are in the Baking industry. Macaron is a good example; macaroon, French macaroon, macaron, Paris macaron...depending on where you are who you are talking to. And that's a finished item that's sold to the public; for names that are needed just among industry professionals, it's often worse. I've never personally heard someone describe an almond meringue layer in a cake as a "macaron", but I'm sure it happens.

I think it has something to do with the training we get, and the presence of different European bakers that now live all around the world. It's a lot of fun being around old European people razzing each other, "Sure, I'd expect a Swiss guy to do it like that!" someone will say and then everyone chortles in a different accent. So instructors like to hold on to the terms they first used when they apprenticed, sort of a matter of national pride as well as "Ga van mijn gazon" old fogeysim. I don't know what it's like in the States, but here in Canada we place pretty minimal expectations on immigrants to assimilate, apprentices are all, "You want to call these things by their Dutch names you learned in the 60s? Sure I don't give a ####." It's interesting that way. Certainly it's interesting now that you can be a self-taught baker more easily through the internet; terminology is still woefully (or wonderfully, depending on how you look at it) idiosyncratic. I would imagine it gets confusing for people, to hear different things described with different terms.

But that's the Brave New World we live in!
   91. Lassus Posted: June 04, 2019 at 07:47 AM (#5848032)
Macaron is a good example; macaroon, French macaroon, macaron, Paris macaron...depending on where you are who you are talking to.

Speaking of, OG, do you make any of these, more or less mentioned above, um, somewhere? My wife is obsessed, although as a great cook, is somewhat of a maddening baker as she hates following specific directions, which seems necessary for the specific science of baking.

Have you made any yourself? Tips?
   92. PreservedFish Posted: June 04, 2019 at 07:50 AM (#5848033)
88 - Which is why I called it an honest list. The list is boring, Alex, because it's predictable. But I bet it's a more honest list than almost any other list in the project. These are movies that even a hoity-toity cineaste is likely to have seen many times, and (if the right age) probably enjoyed as much as their buddies did. Most people grow out of their Rocky III phase, of course...

There's nothing to jump out at you, to imply something interesting about the writer...

So is the point of a list like this is to try and communicate how deep/quirky/unique/interesting a critic you are?

... which seems at all a product of genuine passion

And this part I absolutely disagree with. I think a list that carefully includes movies from every period of film history, that tastefully blends together agreed-upon classics with overlooked works, that picks from many nations and tries to include female/marginalized directors, multiple genres, etc, communicates less passion than does Vaughn's list. Oh sure, it communicates general mastery of the medium, general awareness of film history, general good taste and thoughtfulness, etc, - Vaughn's list communicates none of these things - but the actual films chosen can seem suspicious, because they are chosen to check boxes or to signify certain things (eg, "Can't look like I'm out of touch, gotta have something from the last decade"; "I need one Iranian new wave film in here", etc).

What's worse are the many lists in the project that are so self-conscious that they won't even hope to address the question, like Zizek's in #70. "I'll just name 10 random movies because I'm too cool to admit that I like conventionally good or critically-lauded films." And I bet Zizek has seen the films in Vaughn's Top 10 many, many more times than he has seen the films in his own top 10.
   93. PreservedFish Posted: June 04, 2019 at 08:15 AM (#5848034)
Vaughn's list is sort of like listing The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin etc as your favorite bands. It's not very useful, because these are bands with wide popularity and wide acclaim, but it's also probably a more accurate list than the the guy that has Kendrick Lamar, Celia Cruz and R.D. Burman in his top 10. I'd definitely rather talk about music with the latter guy, but the former guy is approaching his list with a naïveté that is arguably more in the spirit of the project, and that is almost charming when viewed in the context of how self-conscious the other lists are likely to be.
   94. PreservedFish Posted: June 04, 2019 at 08:24 AM (#5848036)
Hey, here's my own list from this website, 12 years ago:

Lawrence of Arabia
The Godfather
Manhattan
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Yojimbo
Lost in Translation
Mean Streets
Together (Lukas Moodysson)
Fargo
Waiting for Guffmann

I'll leave it up to you guys to determine if my list is worse or more boring than Vaughn's. Not that I'd choose the same exact 10 movies today.
   95. Lassus Posted: June 04, 2019 at 08:42 AM (#5848041)
Any list that includes Crimes and Misdemeanors is a good list. (Even if it includes Mean Streets, which bored me to tears, twice, because I was sure something was wrong with me after the first time, so I tried again a year or so later, but no.)

I'm at work, so coming up with a top ten would be impossible at the moment, but fun later on with a bit of time.

HEY, PF, can you link that thread from 12 years ago?
   96. PreservedFish Posted: June 04, 2019 at 08:47 AM (#5848043)
12 years ago

Great time capsule there.

"#576, is Mystery Men good? I just added it to my Blockbuster queue."
   97. BrianBrianson Posted: June 04, 2019 at 08:50 AM (#5848045)
The poll is 70 is specifically titled "The Greatest Films of All Time", which isn't the "What ten films did you like the most of all time?"

Anyone with a bit of self-awareness can parse those differently. Primer is probably among my ten favourite films. It is no way, shape, or form one of the ten greatest films of all time.
   98. PreservedFish Posted: June 04, 2019 at 08:56 AM (#5848046)
The poll is 70 is specifically titled "The Greatest Films of All Time", which isn't the "What ten films did you like the most of all time?"

It appears that many of the participants chose to answer their own questions.
   99. jmurph Posted: June 04, 2019 at 09:40 AM (#5848062)
Hmm, surprised to discover I didn't weigh in on that thread. 12 years ago I was much more certain in my opinions than I am today! Now it would take me hours to come up with a top 10.
   100. jmurph Posted: June 04, 2019 at 09:41 AM (#5848063)
Flip
Page 1 of 13 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Brian
for his generous support.