Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, June 24, 2018

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (let’s call it July 2018)

With so much time spent fostering garbage takes on food, perhaps many of you missed Tom Breihan’s “A History of Violence” series, which kicked off in 2016 with a celebration of Bullitt:

When you talk about the history of action movies, you sort of have to define what an action movie is first. As with any movie genre, lines blur, and movies can be multiple things at once. Action—fights, chases, bodies forced into extreme circumstances—has been a part of narrative cinema since narrative cinema became a thing. If you wanted to be ultra-pedantic, you could say that the 1903 silent film The Great Train Robbery was the first action movie, though it would take a whole lot of work to draw a historical line between that and John Wick.

For the purposes of this column, action movies didn’t arrive in their modern and fully-formed state until the late ’60s. There were other genres of movies that supplied the kinds of thrills that action movies would later provide: Westerns, war movies, crime thrillers. (All those genres will appear, in hybridized forms, in this column later on. We’re also going to stay away from things like superhero movies, sci-fi, fantasy, and Oscar bait, except in the rare instances when those genres cross over fully with the action genre.) And there were movies that could be considered proto-action movies: John Sturges’ 1955 Bad Day At Black Rock, Hitchcock’s 1959 North By Northwest, all the early movies in the Bond series.

I should also add that the whole goal of this column is to pick the most important action movie of every year, not necessarily the best or most beloved. (Most of the time, though, it probably will be the best or most beloved action movie of its year, partly because bullshit usually doesn’t leave that deep of an impact and partly because I have no desire to rewatch a bunch of bullshit.)

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: June 24, 2018 at 06:43 PM | 939 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 10 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
   1. Michael Paulionis Posted: June 24, 2018 at 11:59 PM (#5698969)
With so much time spent fostering garbage takes on food, perhaps many of you missed Tom Breihan’s “A History of Violence” series, which kicked off in 2016 with a celebration of Bullitt:

This was a cool curation by an AVClub writer (this time being Tom Breihan). For those interested, Nathan Rabin also produced a similar long-running analysis called My World of Flops, originally titled My Year of Flops.

Also, just for clarification, the writer focused on those films that would fit in the category commonly referred to as Action. His analysis starts with 1970 (January 2016 article). The articles focused on each year's output (1970-2017) while also providing broader analysis of the genre at the time. Just for clarity: For some reason when I follow the link you had provided, Kinja only shows the 3rd page of the list and while using my browser it seemed like Breihan had stopped at 1977 for some reason. Kinja should really fix it so that you have a way to scroll both ways, backwards and forwards. For the comprehensive list: USE THIS LINK.

His 2nd take has been to focus exclusively on Superhero films, The Age of Heroes, which basically starts in 1978 with Superman: The Movie and is essentially currently focusing on the era of the late 90's, Blade being the most recent focus.
   2. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 12:28 AM (#5698974)
With so much time spent fostering garbage takes on food, perhaps many of you missed Tom Breihan’s “A History of Violence” series

Great choice, I've linked it in threads before. Sadly, pretty much the end of the brilliance of the old AVClub's run.

My Year of Flops is also fantastic and well worth the time spent down the worm hole.
   3. Lassus Posted: June 25, 2018 at 06:25 AM (#5698981)
I was surprised by how much I actually liked the Westworld finale.
   4. Rennie's Tenet Posted: June 25, 2018 at 07:40 AM (#5698987)
I don't disdain Godfather 3 to the extent others do, but I've always thought that a mid- or late-70s action film with a taut story line would have been the best third entry in the series. I guess the Vatican story could have been made as GF4 if Michael survived the action.
   5. PreservedFish Posted: June 25, 2018 at 08:01 AM (#5698992)
I remember discovering Bullitt when I was about 20 and thinking that it was the coolest, most stylish thing ever. Bought the Lalo Schifrin soundtrack and everything.
   6. McCoy Posted: June 25, 2018 at 08:20 AM (#5698996)
Did the Girl & the Goat last Thursday. Beautiful restaurant, good service, somewhat limited but functional wine list, didn't have a cocktail but they looked perfectly okay as well, liked the the menu layout and the plan for it.

Went with the focaccia, wood fired oysters, lamb ribs, cauliflower, goat empanada, and braised pork shank. Focaccia and oysters were a dud. Lamb and cauliflower were quite good. Goat empanada was a miss and while the pork shank was done perfectly the accompaniments besides the naan weren't up to par. Wasn't crazy about the two sauces and pickled radishes or whatever came with it. The dessert was a caramel popcorn and ice cream thing that was good but pretty common. A local restaurant in Atlanta called Canoe has been doing something like this for years.

Overall it is a quite good restaurant though I don't think it is so good that it deserves to be booked 3 months in advance. A bottle of wine and 6 items plus dessert and taxes came to something like $204.

Au Cheval is nearby and we decided to head over there for a drink afterwards to see what that one was all about. Didn't realize it was supposed to be an upscale diner. Wasn't our scene so we left and eventually found ourselves in, I think, the Soho Hotel which had a pretty cool F&B setup. Enjoyed a glass of wine in a very beautiful area and then called it a night.

This whole luxury casual food thing is really not my scene. For $100+ per person I really expect to be more wined and dined. I will say that Girl & a Goat had probably the best service for one of these casual luxury restaurants but it still lacked something for that price.
   7. McCoy Posted: June 25, 2018 at 08:22 AM (#5698997)
Did in fact start to reread game of thrones today and got through the dreaded first 100 pages. It is remarkable how much the book picks up after that point and also how incomprehensible the beginning of the book is for someone who doesn't know anything about the series. Like pretty much anybody who picked up the first book in the series 20 years ago! It's a wonder it became a smash hit.
   8. Nasty Nate Posted: June 25, 2018 at 09:07 AM (#5699008)
Did in fact start to reread game of thrones today and got through the dreaded first 100 pages. It is remarkable how much the book picks up after that point and also how incomprehensible the beginning of the book is for someone who doesn't know anything about the series.
Interesting. I only read the series once, and it was after I watched the first 2 seasons of the show, so it wasn't incomprehensible for me. I'm still biding my time for a re-read; hoping that Winds of Winter (don't laugh) will be available soon after my second trip through the books.
   9. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 09:09 AM (#5699010)
There's nothing particularly wrong about the food at Au Cheval per se, I just think a lot of people are way too carried away about the place. (later in the evening) it is loud as hell, long wait (not just waiting for a table) for a $12 fried bologna sandwich. Burgers are fine, but no doubt they are amongst the pioneers in convincing people that it is ok to pay $15+ for a cheeseburger. I get 'dining experiences' I just don't get what's so enticing about that experience.
   10. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 09:11 AM (#5699012)
Bullit was (and is) so incredibly stylish. The entire series on action movies was excellent, and I'm glad Breihan's going back to do a superhero themed rendition since cutting out all superhero movies except for Blade was kind of a copout.

Like pretty much anybody who picked up the first book in the series 20 years ago!

You got a weird thing happening oop norf, and a kid getting kicked out of a window. It's enough of a hook. I refuse to re-read anything until the next book is out, it's been 7 years at this point and a longer lapse between this and the fourth and fifth books... and the fifth book didn't even move the plot much! Argh.
   11. Lassus Posted: June 25, 2018 at 09:15 AM (#5699016)
Blade

I really never understood the love for this movie.

I've transitioned all my irritation with Martin over to a comfortable rage at Rothfuss.
   12. Lassus Posted: June 25, 2018 at 09:22 AM (#5699017)
In other pop culture news, I started watching Wallander the other night. It's adorably distracting with all the Brits pretending to be Swedish, and honestly I probably would have preferred something subtitled. I've only seen the first 1.5 episodes so far. Be curious to see if it tightens up. Tom Hiddleston, pre-breakout! Branagh is ok, so far.
   13. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 09:32 AM (#5699019)
I've transitioned all my irritation with Martin over to a comfortable rage at Rothfuss.

I'm really hoping the delay isn't because he's trying to stuff everything into book 3. I'd much rather he admitted defeat and let things take as long as needed.
   14. jmurph Posted: June 25, 2018 at 09:38 AM (#5699024)
In other pop culture news, I started watching Wallander the other night. It's adorably distracting with all the Brits pretending to be Swedish, and honestly I probably would have preferred something subtitled. I've only seen the first 1.5 episodes so far. Be curious to see if it tightens up. Tom Hiddleston, pre-breakout! Branagh is ok, so far.

I like them, but the Brits in Sweden thing is just odd. Just make it England? I don't really get the point of giving them Swedish names and setting it in Sweden but all the actors are British.

After you just accept the silliness of it all I think it stops being distracting, though, and is generally solid.

Also, I think there is a Swedish tv version out there somewhere.
   15. Lassus Posted: June 25, 2018 at 09:47 AM (#5699026)
I'm really hoping the delay isn't because he's trying to stuff everything into book 3. I'd much rather he admitted defeat and let things take as long as needed.

It's funny, despite everything, I can actually see Martin finishing, whereas I wouldn't be shocked at all if Rothfuss NEVER finished. You can almost see the fear and defeat in his eyes when he's shown recently.

I mean, did Miranda, doing the adaptation, need to have him confirm he wasn't going to be spinning his wheels for the next two decades? Wouldn't he have to do so?

16. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 09:49 AM (#5699028)
Blade

Racist.
   17. Omineca Greg Posted: June 25, 2018 at 09:55 AM (#5699031)
I watched Masaan last week.

Impossible love, lives irreparably ruined by a moment of indiscretion, or wrong-headed personal values, or a calloused society, or just plain old bad luck. Then people fighting to survive emotionally despite the odds being stacked against them. All set against the funeral pyres of Varanasi.

Quite arty for an Indian film. I quite liked it, even if the storytelling felt a bit flat at times. My Indian friends love it and say it does an extraordinary job of portraying Indian values and the Indian psyche. There's an ambition here to be slightly oblique that I don't normally associate with Indian cinema. I'm really glad I watched it.
   18. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: June 25, 2018 at 11:38 AM (#5699097)
I've transitioned all my irritation with Martin

Thought this was about the TV show for a moment.

Can we talk about how weird the setup for "Bad Boys" is? Two sitcom comedians and Tea Leoni star in Michael Bay's feature debut?
   19. McCoy Posted: June 25, 2018 at 11:39 AM (#5699099)
Blade's opening scene was something that had never been seen when it first came out. They played the character straight and serious. Not campy like Batman and Superman before him. Created a world without seriously sidetracking into long exposition that was easy to understand and accept
   20. McCoy Posted: June 25, 2018 at 11:50 AM (#5699105)
Jon lovitz and Dana carvey were supposed to be the leads so you can see where this film was supposed to go. Two good comedians and bay turned the script and film into a pretty good and slick 90's action film.
   21. PreservedFish Posted: June 25, 2018 at 12:07 PM (#5699116)
All set against the funeral pyres of Varanasi.

I saw a documentary once about a young apprentice Aghori sadhu - a bizarre group of holy men that live in the funeral grounds and have no possessions other than what they fashion out of the bones of the cremated. They eat the bodies too. It may have been this one, sadly that copy is extremely low quality. I find India's religions endlessly fascinating, so diverse and layered and insane.
   22. Lassus Posted: June 25, 2018 at 01:03 PM (#5699152)
OH I also finally saw Solo. Perfectly fine, perfectly average, completely forgettable, and basically unnecessary film that was actually still very well-made. I gave it a B/B- depending upon mood.
   23. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 01:04 PM (#5699153)
I finally saw a person get taken out by one of these Bird/Lime scooters. it was not a good scene. I'm not anti-scooter transit, but not on the sidewalk dude. I don't follow the scooter legal scene, but there seems to be a broad interpretation on where these scooters are permitted to be run, from market to market.
   24. BDC Posted: June 25, 2018 at 01:17 PM (#5699161)
I started watching Wallander the other night

One of my favorite parts of the Branagh Wallander is his ringtone. I have gotten that for each phone I've had since I saw the series.

25. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 25, 2018 at 01:33 PM (#5699169)
I made the mistake of buying EU4 last night. Coming from Stellaris, Victoria II and with a basic understanding of CK2 I figured I'd be able to wade in a bit and play -- wrong. Ended up watching (I #### you not) almost two hours (and there are 2+ more hours to go) of a well known Youtube guide and I still don't feel particularly confident about the systems.

We'll see. This feels like a game I might never really have enough time and energy to "get gud" at.
   26. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 01:53 PM (#5699181)
I made the mistake of buying EU4 last night.

I don't like EU4. Loved EU2 and EU3. Still play EU3 occasionally. But, in EU4, the wars are just interminable. The AI spams fullstack armies out of nowhere.

Edit: Basically every war for me was like the Punic wars. You had to utterly defeat, and conquer virtually every province of a country to get one or two provinces in a peace deal. Completely ahistorical.
   27. Greg K Posted: June 25, 2018 at 01:53 PM (#5699182)
I made the mistake of buying EU4 last night. Coming from Stellaris, Victoria II and with a basic understanding of CK2 I figured I'd be able to wade in a bit and play -- wrong. Ended up watching (I #### you not) almost two hours (and there are 2+ more hours to go) of a well known Youtube guide and I still don't feel particularly confident about the systems.

The thing about EU4 is that they've also added a ton of features over time (some free, some paid DLC). Depending on what you have downloaded you could be playing quite a different game. Hell, I haven't played it in about a year or so, it's possible I'd no longer recognize the game.

I will say, if you manage to get swimming it is my favourite of the Paradox games.

EDIT: Video guides are good to pick up on features you may have totally missed, but the only way to really get a feel for it is to stumble through a few sessions. Which can be frustrating, as 10 hours into a game you might realize you totally misunderstood the international trade system. I'd say it probably takes 3 or 4 significant runs before you can fully understand what's going on.
   28. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 01:54 PM (#5699183)
Yeah there's a big Steam Summer Sale going on right now, I dropped some cash a few new goodies for the library. Y'all PC gaming types should swing by and check it out, I had 14 items on my wishlist and every one of them was discounted.
   29. Greg K Posted: June 25, 2018 at 02:02 PM (#5699190)
I don't like EU4. Loved EU2 and EU3. Still play EU3 occasionally. But, in EU4, the wars are just interminable. The AI spams fullstack armies out of nowhere.

I've been immersed in some Thirty Years' War research over the past few weeks. The main lesson of which appears to be: if you don't care about your long-term financial health you can do some impressive things in the short-term. If you really don't want to give up, you drag out a war for a long time in EU4. I've done it a time or two. Massive loans, massive mercenary armies. It totally ##### up your ability to do anything for a generation...but if you really can't afford to lose that war, it's an option.

A good rule of thumb is to be selective and opportunistic in your wars. It's easy for even a dominant regional power to get bogged down in manpower shortages if wars get prolonged.
   30. Greg K Posted: June 25, 2018 at 02:04 PM (#5699192)
Yeah there's a big Steam Summer Sale going on right now, I dropped some cash a few new goodies for the library. Y'all PC gaming types should swing by and check it out, I had 14 items on my wishlist and every one of them was discounted.

I have 381 on mine...it seems the vast majority are on sale.
   31. Greg K Posted: June 25, 2018 at 02:08 PM (#5699201)
As a follow up I actually find the fort system (which blocks movement through provinces and prevents armies form just marching willy-nilly across the map) makes EU4 the most manageable war game of the series. You can be a bit more strategic in defense, and every war isn't just settled by the two armies meeting in the first month of the war and the bigger one wins.

You sometimes have to decide whether it is worth spending your manpower advantage laying siege to a key fort, or if it is better to just take a marginal victory.
   32. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 25, 2018 at 02:14 PM (#5699209)
EDIT: Video guides are good to pick up on features you may have totally missed, but the only way to really get a feel for it is to stumble through a few sessions. Which can be frustrating, as 10 hours into a game you might realize you totally misunderstood the international trade system. I'd say it probably takes 3 or 4 significant runs before you can fully understand what's going on.

Yea the guide I'm watching is vanilla, as is my current copy. Haven't decided to commit to any of the DLC yet, which seems absolutely massive, even for a Paradox game. The trade system seems to make sense. I guess you usually want to try and steer trade back to your trade region?

One thing is: I'm totally not a history buff. I know little if anything about Continental History during the time period the game takes place. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing relative to the game. One one hand I'm totally ignorant of any "a historic" outcomes. On the other hand, I'm totally ignorant of how I "should" try and play given history.
   33. vortex of dissipation Posted: June 25, 2018 at 02:18 PM (#5699216)
I like them, but the Brits in Sweden thing is just odd. Just make it England? I don't really get the point of giving them Swedish names and setting it in Sweden but all the actors are British.

After you just accept the silliness of it all I think it stops being distracting, though, and is generally solid.

It's a British TV series made for a British audience. Of course the actors are British. I don't think that's odd in the least.

Also, I think there is a Swedish tv version out there somewhere.

Yes, and both were filmed in the town where the books take place. There was one incident when both series were filming in the town on the same day, and they had to co-ordinate things so they wouldn't get in the other film crew's shots.
   34. Cowboy Popup Posted: June 25, 2018 at 02:28 PM (#5699230)
Tom Breihan’s “A History of Violence” series

This series of articles was great. Lots of highlights but I want to say the John Wick and Mad Max articles were particularly great. As were some of his 80s articles. Really, just a fun read for every year even when I didn't love the movie he picked as his focal point. I was supremely disappointed when it ended.

Blade

You also don't like animation right? Honestly, Blade has more in common with anime/American action/adventure animation than it does any of the live action Marvel movies. The action pieces are straight out of something like Ninja Scroll or Samurai Champloo while the whole vibe and minimalist dialogue, particularly from Blade, is very reflective of some of the quiet Japanese protagonist archetype. Maybe those elements take away from both genres for you.

Reading his write up of Blade made me desperately want to watch Blade (which I own) and Blade II (which I sadly don't). But I just learned that they put Babylon 5 up on Amazon Prime and with two little children running around, there are only so many windows that I get for hyper-violent and bloody vampire hunter movies so I haven't gotten to them yet. That sword fight at the beginning of Blade - Holy ####. Still gets me all goosebumpy just thinking about it. Changed what I want from, and the way I look at, action set pieces.
   35. Cowboy Popup Posted: June 25, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5699234)
Created a world without seriously sidetracking into long exposition that was easy to understand and accept

This is a great point that is touched upon in the AV Club write up. No origin story or introduction. Just straight to serious, kinetic ass-kicking. I don't think Blade even says anything for the first 4-5 minutes he is on screen. And it is great! God damnit, I just want to watch it now!
   36. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5699245)
I've been immersed in some Thirty Years' War research over the past few weeks. The main lesson of which appears to be: if you don't care about your long-term financial health you can do some impressive things in the short-term. If you really don't want to give up, you drag out a war for a long time in EU4. I've done it a time or two. Massive loans, massive mercenary armies. It totally ##### up your ability to do anything for a generation...but if you really can't afford to lose that war, it's an option.

A good rule of thumb is to be selective and opportunistic in your wars. It's easy for even a dominant regional power to get bogged down in manpower shortages if wars get prolonged.

Right. But those wars should be the rare exception. A normal war where you're only going to lose a province isn't worth devastating your control to avoid losing.

Classic one: I'm Austria, and need to take a mainland province from Venice. I defeat their armies, siege and occupy all their mainland Italian province, Venice itself, and their Balkan provinces. All they have left is Crete and Cyprus, and they continue a decades long war rather than cede Treviso.

Edit: also the battle system is FUBAR, but that goes back further. Adding dribs and drabs of troops to an ongoing battle is a great tactic, rather than the suicide it is IRL. IRL, a concentrated 10,000 man army annihilates 8 2,000 man armies that arrive every two days, with little loss to itself.
   37. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 02:44 PM (#5699248)

Yea the guide I'm watching is vanilla, as is my current copy. Haven't decided to commit to any of the DLC yet, which seems absolutely massive, even for a Paradox game. The trade system seems to make sense. I guess you usually want to try and steer trade back to your trade region?

One thing is: I'm totally not a history buff. I know little if anything about Continental History during the time period the game takes place. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing relative to the game. One one hand I'm totally ignorant of any "a historic" outcomes. On the other hand, I'm totally ignorant of how I "should" try and play given history.

As Greg K notes - even saying you are playing Vanilla is tough to really determine what is and what isn't a part of your game. All the DLC include free upgrades, but damned if I remember what is free and what is paid for.

Any idea what you would like to do in your game? The Ottomans are a good starter if you want to go big, China too, especially early on. France can always expand, but that will be more about very selective wars. Britain or Spain would be the easiest way to learn the colonization and international trade game. Russia has a harder start, but if done correctly can also lead to a very large empire.
   38. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 02:46 PM (#5699251)
Classic one: I'm Austria, and need to take a mainland province from Venice. I defeat their armies, siege and occupy all their mainland Italian province, Venice itself, and their Balkan provinces. All they have left is Crete and Cyprus, and they continue a decades long war rather than cede Treviso.

So siege Crete and Cyprus? Or did Venice still have naval superiority? At some point, if you want to beat Venice, you need to take out their galley horde.

Sorry if that sounds condescending - not my intent.
   39. Srul Itza Posted: June 25, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5699258)
Did the Girl & the Goat last Thursday

That meant something very different when I was a young thing.
   40. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 25, 2018 at 02:54 PM (#5699260)
Any idea what you would like to do in your game? The Ottomans are a good starter if you want to go big, China too, especially early on. France can always expand, but that will be more about very selective wars. Britain or Spain would be the easiest way to learn the colonization and international trade game. Russia has a harder start, but if done correctly can also lead to a very large empire.

Guide I'm watching is doing Castille/Spain so that will probably be my starting playthrough.
   41. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 02:56 PM (#5699262)
So siege Crete and Cyprus? Or did Venice still have naval superiority? At some point, if you want to beat Venice, you need to take out their galley horde.

Sorry if that sounds condescending - not my intent.

I'm landlocked :-) Can't build ships in occupied provinces.
   42. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 03:03 PM (#5699272)
I'm landlocked

Ahh, that will do it, the AI knows you dont have access to their islands. What's your warscore at? And how much does Treviso cost?
   43. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 03:06 PM (#5699279)
This was a long time ago, but I was like at 90% warscore, and the peace I wanted cost <30%.
   44. Greg K Posted: June 25, 2018 at 03:11 PM (#5699282)

One of the options they have is whether to play the game straight up or to favour "historically lucky" nations (ie. weight it so that the guys who historically won out, do so again in the simulation). I like to play it straight, but annoyingly without "historically lucky" nations, it doesn't save achievements. If you're playing a mid-tier nation it is invaluable to have a great power ally. So knowing who those great powers are likely to be is handy. Austria, France, Spain, the Ottomans, are all good allies to have. Though sometimes a given game might spit out an odd ball great power. Always a good idea to keep abreast of who is looking strong at any given time. I've played the odd game where France or Spain never got over their internal divisions and remained a weak nation throughout.

Right. But those wars should be the rare exception. A normal war where you're only going to lose a province isn't worth devastating your control to avoid losing.

Edit: also the battle system is FUBAR, but that goes back further. Adding dribs and drabs of troops to an ongoing battle is a great tactic, rather than the suicide it is IRL. IRL, a concentrated 10,000 man army annihilates 8 2,000 man armies that arrive every two days, with little loss to itself.

Yeah that's the point though. You can devastate your society to save a single province, but most of the time it's not worth it. It can take a while to get total victory over a nation like Venice with its dispersed provinces. It's an impractical headache to go conquer Cyprus. But if you've got the capital their war weariness will tick up until they're willing to accept most any peace.

As for feeding piece meal troops into a battle. You can technically do that, but it's not exactly a good strategy. If you're raising troops just to send them immediately into battle, they're going to have zero organization and be pretty useless. Meanwhile every day the troops actually in the battle are outnumbered they are taking a beating. The only time I've seen new troops actually swing a battle is when an army arrives that swings the numerical superiority. The best strategy is always to concentrate as many men as you can right from the beginning of the battle. You do get a "flanking" bonus for having forces entering the province from multiple directions, but whenever I do that I time the armies to arrive on the same day (or as close to it as possible). Unless both armies are bigger than the one you're fighting you're hurting yourself by doing any fighting with one of them alone.
   45. Greg K Posted: June 25, 2018 at 03:14 PM (#5699293)
For the first game of a new EU I like to go with Portugal. Small enough that you're not overwhelmed trying to manage your provinces. But you still get to be involved in the naval, trade, and colonization aspects of the game. You don't get much flexibility with the diplomacy game (you kind of have to cozy up to Castille and let them call the shots). But I find the larger nations overwhelming when I'm learning the ropes. Sweden was fun in previous iterations, but in EU4 you start off as a vassal to Denmark. Which is easy to fight your way out of, but adds a layer of complexity that is perhaps not helpful for the learning process.
   46. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 03:15 PM (#5699294)
As for feeding piece meal troops into a battle. You can technically do that, but it's not exactly a good strategy. If you're raising troops just to send them immediately into battle, they're going to have zero organization and be pretty useless. Meanwhile every day the troops actually in the battle are outnumbered they are taking a beating. The only time I've actually seen new troops actually swing a battle is when an army arrives that swings the numerical superiority. The best strategy is always to concentrate as many men as you can right from the beginning of the battle. You do get a "flanking" bonus for having forces entering the province from multiple directions, but whenever I do that I time the armies to arrive on the same day (or as close to it as possible). Unless both armies are bigger than the one you're fighting you're hurting yourself by doing any fighting with one of them alone.

I've seen it all the time fighting the Ottomans. I concentrate 2 armies against their one, am winning the battle clearly, and then a steady stream of 1-3,000 man penny packets arrive, and keep bolstering their morale as mine falls. Their 30,000 men spread across 8 armies ends up beating my 40,000 that were concentrated from the beginning. This happens in EU3 also.
   47. Greg K Posted: June 25, 2018 at 03:24 PM (#5699303)
Odd. The defining feature of the Ottoman armies when I battle them is that they have several massive armies always on the prowl. It's just a bad idea to fight the Ottomans unless you have some kind of united behemoth European army, or they are in the midst of some kind of internal crisis. You might out-number them in the local area, but chances are your armies are large enough that the fight is going to last long enough for their other armies to arrive and spank you.

The AI does generate small mercenary armies very quickly to replace units you've destroyed in a recent battle. But that's generally a sign that you've got them on the ropes.

EDIT: The other strategy you can use with the Ottomans is, if you manage to gain naval superiority and prevent them from shipping armies across the Bosphorus.
   48. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 03:31 PM (#5699312)

I have 381 on mine...it seems the vast majority are on sale.

A wish list that big seems unmanageable. I try to keep mine limited to the games I'm genuinely interested in and that I feel like I'd want to play immediately upon purchase. I don't need another greyed-out name in my Steam library to sit there.

If anyone has any thoughts about the following sale games I'm on the fence about I'm all ears:

- Elex
- Frostpunk
- Divinity Original Sin 2
- Judgement: Apocalypse Survival Simulator
- My Time at Portia
- They Are Billions
- Laser League
- The Sexy Brutale

I also purchased "Hunt: Showdown" over the weekend but returned it because it needs too much work. Potentially very cool game though, I liked it but the load times and netcode were too much for me to overcome. I'll check back after a few updates.
   49. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 04:02 PM (#5699343)
Greg K. I know how to beat them. I do it all the time in EU3. It's still a BS game mechanism to have battles that were historically decided in an afternoon last 20 days, and allow reinforcements to arrive.
   50. The Good Face Posted: June 25, 2018 at 04:05 PM (#5699345)
- Elex
- Frostpunk

These are both on my wishlist as well. From the reviews I'll probably grab Elex once the price drops into the $15 range. Frostpunk I'm on the fence over.

- Divinity Original Sin 2

This is a good one. If you enjoyed the first Divinity Original Sin, buy immediately. Otherwise, an excellent choice for those who like RPGs with deep turn based combat.
   51. Greg K Posted: June 25, 2018 at 04:17 PM (#5699349)
Greg K. I know how to beat them. I do it all the time in EU3. It's still a BS game mechanism to have battles that were historically decided in an afternoon last 20 days, and allow reinforcements to arrive.

Yeah it is a bit of an abstraction of reality. In a game like Total War you'd get a single pitched battle that takes place over the course of a day.

The EU version is more like two armies that are operating in the same region for days or weeks at a time. I think of it as opposing generals manoeuvring and feeling each out before the decisive battle (even tough that's not how the simulation works). It's a bit of an ahistorical rationalization, but it works for me since I'm generally not too interested in warfare. I like to think of myself as the monarch. I tell my general to march into Moravia. He's in the province for two weeks and couriers arrive to tell me he's either won the battle or lost.

I admit there are one or two things I'm a fanboy about, and can stand up for games that really ought to stand up on their own merits, without my help. EU4 (really, all the EUs) are one of them.
   52. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 04:24 PM (#5699356)

Yeah it is a bit of an abstraction of reality. In a game like Total War you'd get a single pitched battle that takes place over the course of a day.

I love the Total War battle system. The strategic game is weak. It's better in the installments that focus on a short period that's during a major war, e.g. Attila, Crusades game.

My dream would be EU3 with Total War battles. You could massively downgrade the graphic, but I want to be able to maneuver my army in major pitched battles.
   53. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 04:30 PM (#5699359)
I never played the first Divinity Original Sin, all I know is that plenty of people say Original Sin 2 is best isometric RPG since Baldur's Gate. I actually haven't played an isometric RPG in a long time but I did like the convention when it was more popular.

Can you explain how the co-op and local co-op mode works? I was wondering if this was something I could play with my daughter who is getting really into the whole RPG thing.

From the reviews I'll probably grab Elex once the price drops into the $15 range.

I'm only interested in it because Gothic 2 was one of the best RPGs I ever played and most of the reviews I read said this was the best game from that developed since Gothic 2. I'm actually concerned that after playing through Witcher 3 several time any other RPG of that nature is going to seem dull and uninteresting.
   54. Greg K Posted: June 25, 2018 at 04:56 PM (#5699370)
My dream would be EU3 with Total War battles. You could massively downgrade the graphic, but I want to be able to maneuver my army in major pitched battles.

That would be a pretty comprehensive game!

I've played a bit of Pike and Shot, which is a sort of turn-based version of Total War. I really want to like Total War, but I get immediately flustered with real-time games (I have to pause Paradox games to do anything). I'm hoping Pike and Shot gets my fix in for tactical historical combat.
   55. Zonk is Just the Right Amount of Wrought Posted: June 25, 2018 at 04:57 PM (#5699371)
I'll 2nd the recommendation that Steam has a really good friggin' sale going on right now if you're into 4X/strategy/historical sims/empire builders.

I'm currently trying to get my cart under $100, even with the deep discounts. I generally do not purchase in such a way - I tend to binge play a single title for a month or so, then move on... so spreading out the buys might be more cost-effective, but I just know I'm going to end up with a bunch of stuff I won't really play.

Anyway, I'm finally reaching my limit on civ6 frustrations, so it's time to move on to something else.

Has anyone played the newest HOI4 expansion?
   56. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 04:59 PM (#5699372)
That would be a pretty comprehensive game!

I've played a bit of Pike and Shot, which is a sort of turn-based version of Total War. I really want to like Total War, but I get immediately flustered with real-time games (I have to pause Paradox games to do anything). I'm hoping Pike and Shot gets my fix in for tactical historical combat.

Oh, I pause all the time. And Total War is turn-based, except for the battles.

I really think they do a good job with the battle mechanism. Tactics that worked IRL work in the game. Every unit type has a purpose, and they all have a weakness. A balanced combined arms force wins.
   57. Zonk is Just the Right Amount of Wrought Posted: June 25, 2018 at 05:02 PM (#5699373)

Concur on RTG. I prefer turn-based.

I make exceptions for Paradox - but by the time I get done with the pause settings, it might as well be turn-based.

The one thing I will say for Paradox's RTG - and I'm much more of an HOI player than I am EU - it does kind of work well... in that, I pause, create front-wide thrusts with specific armies tasked to specific objectives, let it ride for a bit - and often find myself letting a stonewalled advance in one part of the front play out in order to tie down defenders while other elements of the advance hit their objectives.

I just don't think RTG really works that well for something pre-modern.
   58. Cowboy Popup Posted: June 25, 2018 at 05:06 PM (#5699375)
I love the Total War battle system. The strategic game is weak. It's better in the installments that focus on a short period that's during a major war, e.g. Attila, Crusades game.

Not sure where it falls in this but I played Shogun 2, especially the Fall of Samurai add-on, for a long time. I would probably still be playing it but the computer I was playing it on got stolen. I absolutely loved the game and found it very replayable with the different clans and difficulties and goals.
   59. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 25, 2018 at 05:27 PM (#5699388)
Does anyone have an estimate for when I might be able to understand any of these posts again?
   60. Greg K Posted: June 25, 2018 at 06:29 PM (#5699428)
Does anyone have an estimate for when I might be able to understand any of these posts again?

Probably a long time if zonk and I keep pausing every time a new advisor needs recruiting.
   61. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 06:40 PM (#5699437)
Not sure where it falls in this but I played Shogun 2, especially the Fall of Samurai add-on, for a long time. I would probably still be playing it but the computer I was playing it on got stolen. I absolutely loved the game and found it very replayable with the different clans and difficulties and goals.

That one I never got into. Same for Napoleon and Empires.

Love Rome, Barbarian Invasion, Medieval 2, the 4 pack expansion to M2, Rome 2, and Attila, and Britannia looks good so far.
   62. Morty Causa Posted: June 25, 2018 at 07:52 PM (#5699468)
I know those words, but this makes no sense
   63. Howie Menckel Posted: June 25, 2018 at 08:08 PM (#5699477)
I thought there was a "Gamer" thread and a Politics thread.

this one was supposed to be pop culture stuff. I could be wrong.

and to think I was sure we had built a wall - a great wall, a magnificent wall - that locked all the gamers into one narrow thread. has there been a breach?
   64. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 25, 2018 at 08:13 PM (#5699479)
and to think I was sure we had built a wall - a great wall, a magnificent wall - that locked all the gamers into one narrow thread. has there been a breach?
The sense that I get from the above posts is that they apparently did some sort of military campaign that took out the wall and conquered parts of other threads, presumably including this one.
   65. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 08:17 PM (#5699482)
I absolutely loved the game and found it very replayable with the different clans and difficulties and goals.

Naval combat in Shogun 2 is the absolute worst (by which I primarily mean the tedious necessity of personally managing it, not the mechanics).
   66. Cowboy Popup Posted: June 25, 2018 at 08:31 PM (#5699492)
Naval combat in Shogun 2 is the absolute worst (by which I primarily mean the tedious necessity of personally managing it, not the mechanics).

No disagreement from me. I steered clear of it until I had money to burn. I found navy's were better deterrents than anything else. I captured the black ship once. It was worthless but fun.

In Fall of the Samurai you can use ships to attack land based targets, which adds another dimension to it at least.

this one was supposed to be pop culture stuff.

Alright, pop culture:

Why was the new Kimmy Schmidt season so short?

Why isn't every post in this thread about how awesome the Expanse is?

Is Beyonce a better rapper than Jay-Z right now?

Anyone else going to see the Janelle Monae show in DC in July?

Are there any summer TV shows coming out that look good/interesting?

I'll bite on other stuff too.
   67. Zonk is Just the Right Amount of Wrought Posted: June 25, 2018 at 08:40 PM (#5699500)
Probably a long time if zonk and I keep pausing every time a new advisor needs recruiting.

Heh.

It's interesting comparing EU vs Civ6 adviser recruitment.

For a change, I do think Civ got one right. Their advisers actually seem reasonable - they're not overpowered, etc. I do like that R&F mechanic - I think it's well done. The "Great People" are still a mess, though. Some pointless, some way over-powered, just a dice roll.

Paradox has the same problem -- like I said, I'm more HOI than EU - but HOI makes generals/admirals far too powerful. In a way, I get why they changed the leader mechanic in IV - II and III were just totally broken. The solution is suboptimal, though. Too much abstraction for something that I think is important, but just not as over-powered as II/III made it, where you'd often end up with amounted to (lots of small) stacks of doom by the time you got to Barbarossa because you'd overweighted generals all over the place.
   68. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 25, 2018 at 08:46 PM (#5699502)
Why isn't every post in this thread about how awesome the Expanse is?

I love the Expanse so much. It is so very awesome. I have been reading ahead in the books (not too far, just a book ahead) and I really like watching that way, but the ex watches the show (with me) and borrows my books to read after. - and seems to enjoy it a great deal.

Bobby Draper is my favorite, her or Amos (Really whichever was last on screen). But I like that most everyone is fairly competent.

I am so happy Amazon picked it up and so they will keep making more seasons.
   69. Zonk is Just the Right Amount of Wrought Posted: June 25, 2018 at 09:05 PM (#5699522)

Good!

Here's my biggest beef with The Expanse... and it actually has nothing to do with the show itself.

I loved the first several episodes. I had the last (three, IIRC) on DVR - but various situations ultimately meant a new DVR before I had to change to watch them.

Fine, fine - I'd just wait until Season 2 - and what I assumed would be a lead-up including re-airing season 1. If they did - my DVR missed it. So - I skipped season 2... because I missed the last couple episodes of season 1.

Ordinarily, I am not a spoiler guy. I don't care. But - it's friggin impossible to catch the three episodes I missed unless I pay for them (or steal them).

It's become a grudge match with friggin, loathsome, GFY Scyfy.

I much prefer the HBO paradigm whereby I can watch any episode, any time I want, of any series they've ever produced, until eternity.

But good... I've got Prime. So I guess this means that soon, I should be able to FINALLY catch up.
   70. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 25, 2018 at 09:09 PM (#5699525)
But good... I've got Prime. So I guess this means that soon, I should be able to FINALLY catch up.

The first two seasons are on Prime right now. Why are you reading this post! Go watch. :)
   71. PreservedFish Posted: June 25, 2018 at 09:23 PM (#5699537)
My kids go to bed at about 8 or 8:30, and I get up at 6:30, which usually gives me about 2 hours of "leisure" time, much of which is spent doing dishes, laundry, cleaning, dealing with bills and such, not to mention wasting time on BTF or checking box scores. I find it impressive that adults have time to watch so many tv shows, or play so many computer games. I used to play Civ and Civ 2 in my youth, but at this point committing to any one of these new world history strategy games would basically guarantee that I would not read a book or see a movie for a month or more.
   72. Cowboy Popup Posted: June 25, 2018 at 09:26 PM (#5699539)
I love the Expanse so much.

Me too! This season has pushed it to another level too. Last week's episode made me wonder what it needs to do to be the best space opera show of all time. I think I've seen most of the contenders (DS9, Battlestar, TNG, Farscape, working through Babylon 5, Firefly, Bebop) and I think the Expanse is a lot more consistent than most of those and now it's peak is starting to match up too.

I have been reading ahead in the books (not too far, just a book ahead) and I really like watching that way, but the ex watches the show (with me) and borrows my books to read after. - and seems to enjoy it a great deal.

Got the books last weekend. Waiting for the two-parter finale and diving in. I haven't finished a fiction book since...1Q84 came out maybe. But I'm amped. Just gotta find time to read them.

Hmmm, it is hard for me to love anyone more than Miller. I'm a sucker for that archetype and Jayne nails it and now whatever the #### is happening with his character is just bloody glorious.

But after that, Amos or maybe Drummer. Also, Holden the last 4-5 episodes has really gotten fun to watch.

Me too man. I've gotten pretty cynical about TV shows. Didn't blink at Great News or Brooklyn Nine Nine going down. But the Expanse got me. The thought of them not being able to complete their vision for this story stung. Thank goodness for uber-rich sci-fi fans!
   73. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 25, 2018 at 09:31 PM (#5699544)
So what speed is it best to play at?
   74. Cowboy Popup Posted: June 25, 2018 at 09:31 PM (#5699545)
I find it impressive that adults have time to watch so many tv shows, or play so many computer games

I've sorta stopped getting a full night's over the past six months. My kids tend to fall asleep at 9-9:30. Then I do my chores/work, get high and watch whatever scratches my itch. Usually get to bed between 12-1. Up again at 6-6:30.

It's not a great way to live but the kids seem to be doing well, I just got a promotion at work and I'm in fairly good shape (for me). I don't think this is sustainable but I also sorta don't want to mess with what's working. Plus, I've watched a ton of new tv recently after stagnating for a long time.
   75. PreservedFish Posted: June 25, 2018 at 09:50 PM (#5699555)
I listened to an interview with this sleep researcher and it inspired me to try and get 8 hours of sleep every night.
   76. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 25, 2018 at 10:04 PM (#5699561)
Me too! This season has pushed it to another level too. Last week's episode made me wonder what it needs to do to be the best space opera show of all time.

My favorite of all time is the first four seasons of Babylon 5. It is freaking brilliant. Season 3 was so amazing, it was the first appointment TV, where I couldn't miss an episode. Rewatching is pretty darn good so long as you realize that any medical episode can be skipped and that Season 5 should be watched once and then forevermore ignored.

Firefly was great (of course), but way too short to be considered. The Expanse is probably second for me now and if it keeps up could pass Babylon 5, which I never thought I would live to see.
   77. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 25, 2018 at 10:17 PM (#5699565)
My kids tend to fall asleep at 9-9:30.

Heh. My boys were 9 and 10 I think before they realized 8:30 was way earlier a bedtime than normal for their age and "Hey, we have two empty bedrooms on the second floor, why are we still sharing a room?"

It was great while it lasted, and now they are old enough (adults actually, 18 and 19) that I pretty much ignore them and their bedtime (so long as they are quiet).

Of course we are an odd family, I was teaching my youngest to drive today and he announced (unprompted) I was pretty cool. At this age they are supposed to hate me, know I am uncool and really dumb, and want to GTFO. Oh well, maybe next year.
   78. Cowboy Popup Posted: June 25, 2018 at 10:20 PM (#5699568)
I listened to an interview with this sleep researcher and it inspired me to try and get 8 hours of sleep every night.

Thanks. I'll give it a listen. I've been trying to get back into a healthier pattern and having tried scaring myself into it. And every morning I hate myself for it. But I'm about to go take out the trash and watch Babylon 5 so...

My favorite of all time is the first four seasons of Babylon 5. It is freaking brilliant.

I've heard this before. I'm very excited to be watching it now (Like literally in ten minutes). I saw it on and off again when it was on but I was a kid and never committed to it. I'm on episode 5 of season 1 now.

DS9 is my favorite. Seasons 2-6 are fantastic and oddly consistent for a Star Trek show. Garak is one of my all time favorite characters and it was a very deep cast given some ambitious material.

Firefly was strictly thrown in there to preempt anyone from suggesting it. And then once I did that, I felt I ought to for Cowboy Bebop as well. I don't consider either to be a real contender.
   79. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 25, 2018 at 10:24 PM (#5699569)
DS9 is my favorite. Seasons 2-6 are fantastic and oddly consistent for a Star Trek show. Garak is one of my all time favorite characters and it was a very deep cast given some ambitious material.

DS9 was very solid and I love Garak and also the relationship between Odo and Quark. It was weird how the show went in the Dumpster when Terry Farrell left (since I never really liked her character all that much).

I hope you enjoy B5. The first season is a bit rough, because it is much set up and the acting is not quite as good, but the set up pays off in so many ways going forward.
   80. Cowboy Popup Posted: June 25, 2018 at 10:29 PM (#5699572)
The first season is a bit rough, because it is much set up and the acting is not quite as good, but the set up pays off in so many ways going forward.

Dude, I watched all but one episode of Enterprise (I could not tolerate an episode with the Borg. Just no.), nothing about Babylon 5 is gonna scare me away.
   81. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 25, 2018 at 10:43 PM (#5699590)
Dude, I watched all but one episode of Enterprise

Watched them all. Loved the weird Mirror intro they went with for the two parter in the last season. The best that could be said of it is it could be argued that it was better than Voyager. Oh goody.
   82. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 11:04 PM (#5699601)
We still keep our 6 and 9 on a 8ish bed time, though now in summer, they get a reprieve, particularly since the sun is up so long here on the western fringes of the eastern time zone. I swear we have the only 6 yr old who verbally says, 'I'm sleepy, I want to go to bed.' This is while she's at a kid's party, or wherever. 'Take me home'. The 9yr old is the typical kid always trying to bargain for one more this or ten more minutes of that. We let her read her endless chapter books, and eventually she dons her sleep mask and is out.
   83. Zonk is Just the Right Amount of Wrought Posted: June 25, 2018 at 11:08 PM (#5699602)
idn't blink at Great News or Brooklyn Nine Nine going down.

Brooklyn Nine Nine got picked up by somebody -- NBC, I think.

Dude, I watched all but one episode of Enterprise (I could not tolerate an episode with the Borg. Just no.), nothing about Babylon 5 is gonna scare me away.

Who's got Babylon Five now?

I just never got into it and on the occasions that I've searched for it, it's always been Hulu or something. At this point, I guess I'd probably be able to ebay the whole series for 30-40 bucks, but I keep waiting for it to rotate somewhere I already subscribe to.... Or land on an odd channel like El Rey (which is rapidly filling that niche of what I wish Syfy was - the occasional original programming, but mostly classic movies/TV from the 70s/80s/90s in the scifi-esque realm.

I - or rather, my DVR - has really enjoyed them going nuts with the SG-1 and (especially) Atlantis. I wish SGU had gotten a chance to continue - it felt like it was finally finding its stride when it got whacked, which unfortunately - was just a few years too early for a digital streamer to be a viable option.

It's probably (definitely?) a minority opinion on BBTF - and I don't mean it as a slight against the Star Trek universe - but I prefer the SG1/SGA/SGU universe to the TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT universe.

I extra-especially prefer the characters, for the most part. Dr. Rodney McKay is probably my favorite sci-fi TV series character of all time.
   84. Zonk is Just the Right Amount of Wrought Posted: June 25, 2018 at 11:23 PM (#5699608)
My favorite sci-fi TV characters, without thinking too much about it...

1. Rodney McKay (SG1/SGA)
2. Bill Adama (BSG, both Greene and Olmos, but if I gotta pick, gimme EJO)
3. Samantha Carter (SG1/SGA)
4. Mal Reynolds (Firefly)
5. Is tough...
   85. Baldrick Posted: June 25, 2018 at 11:43 PM (#5699619)
I hope you enjoy B5. The first season is a bit rough, because it is much set up and the acting is not quite as good, but the set up pays off in so many ways going forward.

I recently rewatched the whole run (seasons 1-4 that is), and the first season wasn't as bad as I always think of it being. It's still pretty bad in relative terms, and makes for a difficult introduction to someone who isn't already committed to the show. But it's not actually *that* terrible.

When I've recommended B5 in the past, I generally try to assess just how much the person is willing to bite off before it gets really good. If it's someone who might never stick around for the good stuff, I generally tell them to just watch Midnight on the Firing Line, And the Sky Full of Stars, Signs and Portents, A Voice in the Wilderness, Babylon Squared, and Chrysalis. They can always go back and fill in the other episodes later. But if it's someone who is willing to give it a go, I say do the whole thing. Sure there's a lot of goofy episodes, but it really does help to round out the universe.
   86. Yonder Alonso in misguided trousers (cardinal) Posted: June 25, 2018 at 11:46 PM (#5699620)

If you get discs from Netflix, they've still got it. (I thought otherwise for a moment when I discovered they were gone from my queue but I must have removed them; they show up as addable in the search.)

I think I got up to the end of season 2 before just falling behind and getting sidetracked by other things. The first season was rough-- as Mouse says, some of the acting is not good, especially... I forget her name, I think she was a telepath, but there's a scene in the pilot episode where she's supposed to look worried about an assassin or something but her expression is more that of someone lost in a mall. But the second season does pick up a lot, and Vir and G'Kar are tremendous. At some point I'll pick it back up again, though it's been long enough that I might have to backtrack a bit.
   87. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 26, 2018 at 12:26 AM (#5699628)
Ah, to be young.

Love the music. Wish I could feel more than just spiritually connected to it anymore.

Youngest hit maker, who better? Dude is 17, from Seattle.
   88. Michael Paulionis Posted: June 26, 2018 at 02:09 AM (#5699636)
https://www.famousbirthdays.com/people/lil-mosey.html

Never heard of him before now. That said, I figured I'd mention he's actually 16. The music's alright. Soulja Boy had just turned 17 when "Crank That" spent 7 weeks at #1. There was a time when Coach K made an exemption for William Avery because he thought the fact that Avery "stopped attending school for most of his junior year (of high school) in rural Georgia" wouldn't portend any future problems. I'm not necessarily somebody who is going to preach, "Kids, stay in school", but I can't really think of any legitimately talented artists that you can say missed their shot by not waiting until they were ready for the expectations that come with fame.

As for the girls dancing; they seem pretty good. Remind me of one of my favorite Fassbender joints, Fish Tank.
   89. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: June 26, 2018 at 04:04 AM (#5699639)
Can you explain how the co-op and local co-op mode works? I was wondering if this was something I could play with my daughter who is getting really into the whole RPG thing.

Didn't see this answered earlier, so in case this is useful (my wife and I played co-op through D:OS and are halfway through the sequel right now):

The core story in D:OS is around a party of 4, but the two customisable starting characters are 'featured' (the main plot plays around their decisions and existence), while the other two are pre-set characters you recruit early in the game from 4-6 different options near the starting area. You control all the actions of the recruited characters, but they have specific backstory and side-quests to them, and default skillsets that can complement your mains. Combat is turn-based, exploration is real-time. And friendly fire is real. EDIT - plus you can argue about story decisions in-character, resulting in a rock-paper-scissors minigame with weighted modifiers based on your skills. That's excellent.

We played with each of our mains controlling one of the recruited characters, but I think you could easily have a 3/1 split if you wanted (and you can change on the fly). There's a basic warrior/archer/mage/cleric concept, but there's some variety within them, so I would figure out what type of character you and your daughter would most like to play (combining a few magic schools is usually the most fun) and recruit the rest of your party accordingly.

D:OS2 is slightly different. Same concept, but there's more scope for the players to have their characters wander off and do their own thing independently, sabotage each other, and so on. That doesn't make a lot of sense local co-op because you can see the other player's screen, of course. There's a few other wrinkles and more depth to the character-building too. I prefer the original for a few reasons, but both games are exceptional.
   90. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 05:44 AM (#5699645)
Thank you.
   91. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 26, 2018 at 06:25 AM (#5699648)

I own the complete set as well as all the movies. I'll send them to you on loan. E-mail me through my profile if you are interested.
   92. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 06:38 AM (#5699650)
Kids, stay in school", but I can't really think of any legitimately talented artists that you can say missed their shot by not waiting until they were ready for the expectations that come with fame.

“Legitimately talented artist”, he snickered.
   93. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 26, 2018 at 08:06 AM (#5699654)

Amazon Prime.

But as they say teach a man to fish .... Just Watch.

I knew some website had to keep track and eventually I found it.

We are glad you're here! On JustWatch you can easily find out where to watch your favorite movies & TV shows in the United States.
JustWatch is easy and effective: Choose your favorite streaming providers and see what’s new on Netflix and Co.
Filter by genre and release year to find the perfect movie to stream tonight. Search for a specific movie or TV show to find out where to watch it legally online.

It is not 100% accurate, but it is pretty darn good.
   94. BDC Posted: June 26, 2018 at 08:26 AM (#5699661)
In the annals of unpopular culture, I have decided to skip the Ring cycle in New York next spring. Instead I will go up in January to see Adriana Lecouvreur (with Anna Netrebko), and Pelléas et Mélisande. I think I would have been up for the Ring (those two I mentioned are long nights in the theater), but January is just better for me to travel.

I'm getting to the point with opera where I have seen most of the very-frequently performed ones, often more than once. Not all, for sure – I have never seen Aida or Rigoletto, for instance – but most of the core of the repertoire. The website Operabase, which is insanely detailed, tells me that Adriana Lecouvreur is the 117th most-performed opera in the world at the moment, and Pelléas et Mélisande is 74th. There's a huge number of operas in that range that I've never seen, and I'm at the point of trying to fill in the list instead of going back for my old favorites – kind of like you'd go out of your way to see the Brewers or the Mariners or whoever instead of getting tickets for the Red Sox and Yankees.
   95. Lassus Posted: June 26, 2018 at 08:36 AM (#5699664)
In the annals of unpopular culture, I have decided to skip the Ring cycle in New York next spring. Instead I will go up in January to see Adriana Lecouvreur (with Anna Netrebko), and Pelléas et Mélisande. I think I would have been up for the Ring (those two I mentioned are long nights in the theater), but January is just better for me to travel.

WTF kind of Aryan are you?

I'm getting to the point with opera where I have seen most of the very-frequently performed ones, often more than once. Not all, for sure – I have never seen Aida or Rigoletto, for instance – but most of the core of the repertoire. The website Operabase, which is insanely detailed, tells me that Adriana Lecouvreur is the 117th most-performed opera in the world at the moment, and Pelléas et Mélisande is 74th. There's a huge number of operas in that range that I've never seen, and I'm at the point of trying to fill in the list instead of going back for my old favorites – kind of like you'd go out of your way to see the Brewers or the Mariners or whoever instead of getting tickets for the Red Sox and Yankees.

Have you seen Fierrabras, or any Schubert opera?
   96. McCoy Posted: June 26, 2018 at 08:47 AM (#5699666)
Went back home last week and picked up or got rid of all my old stuff. Went through my old baseball cards and collectible card game stuff. I laughed because I have about 1500 to 1600 Rage Limited and Echelons of Fury cards with about 1200 to 1300 being Rage and they are basically all worthless. Moneywise (and hell playing wise since these games originally were unplayable) I would have been better off just buying more Magic: The Gathering cards. I have about 2,000 or so MTG cards though about a quarter to a third are land cards with most coming from the Revised Edition though I do have a couple hundred The Dark cards, about 50 or so Legends cards, a smattering of Antiquities and Arabian nights, and unfortunately hundreds of Fallen Empire cards. Also, somehow have like a starter box amount of Ice Age and Mirage and a smattering of Homelands and Chronicles. I cringed a little because it appears I traded off or sold all of my rare non green cards from the revised edition in order to build my green collection so no Shivan Dragons or Vampires. But the good news is that creature cards are the card type that didn't really hold their value all that much so no loss there and fortunately for me back when I was playing the non creature cards weren't viewed as valuable as creature cards so I still have those cards. Have 5 or 6 duel lands in about as mint condition as a 24 year old card can be since back then nobody really viewed them as all that useful so they weren't used in game play. I have like 15 lightning bolts which somehow retail at something like 3 bucks a piece and a bunch more cards at that price as well. Also discovered I had a Drop of Honey from Legends which is listing between 800 to 1000 dollars. My version would probably be classified somewhere between moderately played and lightly played so mine is probably worth between 500 to 800 dollars. Beside that I think I have maybe two more cards that are supposedly worth over 100 dollars.

I'm thinking I'll try to sell the dozen or so high value cards individually online, take the other lower valued cards to a store to see what they'll give me for the batch of them, and maybe put the rest up as a single batch on ebay. I don't even know if it would be worth it to offer up the Rage and Echelons of Fury cards on ebay but perhaps I'll do that.

Rage info is so confusing I don't even know how many cards are supposed to be in the set and I laughed when I discovered that there is only 62 cards in the first edition of Echelons of Fury. I thought to myself well, perhaps I have at least two complete sets and I could see it off that way but as it turns out I'm missing Waffen SS so I can't even make one complete set and I think I have only one copy of two other cards as well. I probably dropped something like 100 to 150 dollars on that game back in the day and I don't think my friends and I could ever manage to play one complete game with the rules of back then. I also remember Rage being an incredibly hard system to actually play back then as well.
   97. McCoy Posted: June 26, 2018 at 09:03 AM (#5699670)
I was also pleased to discover that I have at least 10,000 baseball, football, hockey, and basketball cards and they are all virtually worthless. Nothing like realizing that companies exploited my youth by overprinting and gouging customers.
   98. BDC Posted: June 26, 2018 at 09:42 AM (#5699684)
Have you seen Fierrabras, or any Schubert opera?

No. If you recommend them I will look out for a chance.
   99. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 09:58 AM (#5699694)
I'm sure I have a similar amount of worthless cards in my home (I do have a few dozen that have some decent value, or are otherwise collectible) but I still have a lot of very fond memories of card collecting. It was a lot of fun. One thing that hits you in face as you have your own kids is that kids fully immerse themselves in hobbies and activities that as an adult you wonder 'How is this that interesting?' (shopkins, legos, online youtube channels, whatever). I'm pretty sure that my pursuit of the #1 UD Griffey Jr. card was met with similar befuddlement by my folks.
   100. Lassus Posted: June 26, 2018 at 09:58 AM (#5699695)
No. If you recommend them I will look out for a chance.

Well, I'm not actually doing that, as a.) I've never cared for opera and b.) honestly, nobody has EVER recommended Schubert's operas. I was more just curious. I did do a baritone duet once from that particular opera, but I have no idea whether anyone cares about them, or will ever.
Page 1 of 10 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
TedBerg
for his generous support.