Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, June 24, 2018

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (let’s call it July 2018)

With so much time spent fostering garbage takes on food, perhaps many of you missed Tom Breihan’s “A History of Violence” series, which kicked off in 2016 with a celebration of Bullitt:

When you talk about the history of action movies, you sort of have to define what an action movie is first. As with any movie genre, lines blur, and movies can be multiple things at once. Action—fights, chases, bodies forced into extreme circumstances—has been a part of narrative cinema since narrative cinema became a thing. If you wanted to be ultra-pedantic, you could say that the 1903 silent film The Great Train Robbery was the first action movie, though it would take a whole lot of work to draw a historical line between that and John Wick.

For the purposes of this column, action movies didn’t arrive in their modern and fully-formed state until the late ’60s. There were other genres of movies that supplied the kinds of thrills that action movies would later provide: Westerns, war movies, crime thrillers. (All those genres will appear, in hybridized forms, in this column later on. We’re also going to stay away from things like superhero movies, sci-fi, fantasy, and Oscar bait, except in the rare instances when those genres cross over fully with the action genre.) And there were movies that could be considered proto-action movies: John Sturges’ 1955 Bad Day At Black Rock, Hitchcock’s 1959 North By Northwest, all the early movies in the Bond series.

I should also add that the whole goal of this column is to pick the most important action movie of every year, not necessarily the best or most beloved. (Most of the time, though, it probably will be the best or most beloved action movie of its year, partly because bullshit usually doesn’t leave that deep of an impact and partly because I have no desire to rewatch a bunch of bullshit.)

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: June 24, 2018 at 06:43 PM | 939 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 8 of 10 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 > 
   701. PreservedFish Posted: July 24, 2018 at 12:25 PM (#5714901)
flurp
   702. BDC Posted: July 24, 2018 at 12:34 PM (#5714908)
problem with bus rides is that when something goes wrong in the system you're stranded out in the middle of the nowhere far more often than you are with a train

True, though trains are not immune to this. A few years ago we were on a train from Hamburg to Luxembourg. This is one of the most densely-populated areas in Europe. All the same, somehow this train managed to break down in a tiny place in the woods called "Mechernich," which sounds like some German slang word for "complaining." No explanation, just get off and watch the train get dragged away. The options seemed to be wait right there for something else, or explore the possibilities for housing and employment in Mechernich. Eventually some other train came along.
   703. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 24, 2018 at 12:34 PM (#5714909)
I've driven on about 98% of Interstate 90 (missing a small segment in NY State), and about 90% of I-80 (missing part of PA). Not one contiguous trip of course. I think my max one day drive is around 800miles. I think my old Ford Taurus managed to hit about 35 states.
   704. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 24, 2018 at 12:37 PM (#5714912)
flurp
You feeling all right?
   705. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 24, 2018 at 12:38 PM (#5714914)
My last experience a few years ago with a train was full of several stops where we (the passengers) were on an Amtrak that had no right of way over Freight trains. I understand why this is, and understood it before the ride. That short Seattle-Portland route, lasted two hours longer than the schedule suggested. That's not a good experience. That said, the kids had fun and I got to see that God awful Chambers Bay up close.
   706. Lassus Posted: July 24, 2018 at 12:49 PM (#5714924)
I have taken innumerable busses, and I've never had one break down. Trains were always far, far less reliable.
   707. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 24, 2018 at 12:55 PM (#5714931)
I took the greyhound from bay city michigan to brooklyn when I was 22 and moving out there. Never again. Something I've grateful to have experienced and was ok with at that age but def something I'd never want to do again. It took us 8 hours to get to Ohio and about another 15 to get to Port Authority, where we got a free transfer to the greyhound to Brooklyn. besides being incredibly slow the amount of crazy people that I was forced to interact with absolutely stunk. this was right after a big bus stabbing as well so everybody was a bit on edge.
   708. PreservedFish Posted: July 24, 2018 at 12:58 PM (#5714933)
The private bus I took in Cambodia had three flat tires in the 100 miles I took it. They carried two spares, and were very well-practiced at switching tires, so the delays were only minimal for the first two. The third required them to patch the tire. Luckily, the Cambodian dirt "highway" has mechanics basically every half mile, so even that took only about an hour.

In Ian Frazier's Travels in Siberia his driver's car breaks down on an ice road over Lake Baikal. The road, which only exists in the winter of course, is already so littered with mechanical debris that his driver is able to fix the car using the random parts he finds in the snow. He confidently states that Russia has the world's most reliable cars, because although they always break down, they can always be fixed.
   709. McCoy Posted: July 24, 2018 at 01:01 PM (#5714934)
I've been to 32 states so far. Fairly confident that I can knock off Louisiana and Washington in the next few years. Don't know how I'm going to get Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine in nor when I'll have the opportunity to get the mountain states in along with the great North. I would guess at some point in my life I'll go to Hawaii and possibly a cruise to Alaska but the 10 states in the middle there I don't really have a good reason to ever go there outside of a layover. I'm guessing I'll top out at 40 in my life with perhaps Colorado and Arizona being crossed off because of a layover. Hell, I think I might have already had a layover once in one of those places.
   710. PepTech Posted: July 24, 2018 at 01:03 PM (#5714937)
Heh - that 36 hour train ride to Beijing (with the goat) was supposed to be 28, so *that* was fun. And on the other end of that trip, we had a six hour delay for our 45 minute flight from Luxor to Sharm-el-Sheikh. Could have walked it faster, if Moses had been around.
   711. Lassus Posted: July 24, 2018 at 01:06 PM (#5714939)
I took a bus across Cambodia and while I didn't break down in the first 15 minutes I saw a bus wrecked and a tuk-tuk totalled and some people in each instance who were most likely dead as a result. I was a bit of a wreck the rest of the way and may have actually only taken trains following that.
   712. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 24, 2018 at 01:07 PM (#5714943)
Could have walked it faster, if Moses had been around.
I think he's over in the Gonfalon thread. Let me see if I can get him.
   713. PreservedFish Posted: July 24, 2018 at 01:08 PM (#5714945)
the 10 states in the middle there I don't really have a good reason to ever go there outside of a layover. I'm guessing I'll top out at 40 in my life with perhaps Colorado and Arizona being crossed off because of a layover.

Do you like anything? The big Western states are, like, some of the most amazing parts of the globe.
   714. McCoy Posted: July 24, 2018 at 01:12 PM (#5714953)
Do you like anything? The big Western states are, like, some of the most amazing parts of the globe.

What do the big western states have that Texas, California, or Nevada don't have as well?

Grand Canyon? Sure but I live on the East Coast and Wally World went out of business a long time ago.
   715. PreservedFish Posted: July 24, 2018 at 01:14 PM (#5714957)
I took a bus across Cambodia and while I didn't break down in the first 15 minutes I saw a bus wrecked and a tuk-tuk totalled and some people in each instance who were most likely dead as a result. I was a bit of a wreck the rest of the way and may have actually only taken trains following that.

Yeah, can't blame you.

I worked recently with a guy that has had the most insular upbringing of anyone I've ever conversed with. Grew up in Maine and literally had never left the state. Only been to Portland once or twice. Is basically totally unfamiliar with cities, and things like highways - a coworker of mine took him to a rest stop on the interstate and he was unfamiliar with the concept of a rest stop. In his 20s. Sweet, friendly, hard-working guy.

Somehow this kid decided that he wanted to change all that and he got a job working as a cook for a luxury fishing camp deep in Chilean Patagonia. First time in Boston to get on his first plane. You can assume that his mind was blown continually on this trip. Apparently on one of his very first days he was on a bus in the Andes and they came upon a bus that had been leveled by a mud or rock slide, and he found himself pulling bodies out of the wreckage, surrounded by Chileans and not knowing a damn word of Spanish. It's a sad story, as it now sounds like he has some PTSD or something - I don't know if he ever made it to the fishing camp, and he got fired from the business we both worked at because his previously positive attitude and work ethic had completely reversed.
   716. Lassus Posted: July 24, 2018 at 01:19 PM (#5714963)
Yeah, I will never need to take a South American bus through any mountains, ever. I took a bus in Ecuador through a low-level Adirondack-type range, which was plenty.
   717. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: July 24, 2018 at 01:21 PM (#5714965)
My longest drives were from Long Island to Las Vegas twice and Las Vegas to Long Island once. Three very different trips. One was over 4 days, with a friend, making various stops along the way. Split driving duties, drove through mountains, visited Coors field. Was a fun trip, though it ended with the death of my car.

One was by myself, spread out over 9 or 10 days, just kind of zigzagging around. Saw some interesting sights, but for whatever reason the thing that has stuck with me the most was my brief stay in Beaver Crossing, Nebraska (where I saw exactly 0 beavers). Stopped there to get an oil change. First thing I noticed when I entered the body shop was a sign saying "Please keep your gun holstered at all times." I cannot recall seeing any such signs in LI or LV. Second thing I noticed was the small grocery section next to the STP and air fresheners, as apparently this body shop doubled as the local bodega for the village of a few hundred. My memory is probably off, but all I remember seeing in that town is the body shop, a church, and a bunch of houses that looked like they'd spent the past 30 years slowly crumbling to the ground. Everyone I encountered was very nice and helpful, and it seemed like it'd be a pleasant enough place to be for a layabout like me. At the same time, I'm pretty sure I was the first Jew any of them had ever encountered.

The third drive was interesting. Did it all in 2 days, stopping only to sleep for a few hours at the halfway point (again, in Nebraska). That 2500 mile trip began with my GPS directing me into Manhattan during rush hour and me not realizing what was happening until it was too late. Took me 4 hours to go about 4 blocks, whereas once I escaped the city, 4 hours took me through all of NJ and half of Pennsylvania. That trip was... not fun. By the end, even when I had gotten in bed, my whole body was still shaking from the vibrations of the road, and I felt like I could still hear the sounds of traffic. I do not recommend rushing your cross-country drives.

I've also done NY to Miami (and Miami to NY) without any extendex breaks, but that's a breeze compared to the coast to almost-coast drives.

Considering doing Vegas to NY again in a week. I'm pretty sure I'd want to stop at a national park or two in Utah, as that state amazes me every time I pass through it. I was thinking Arches or Zion, though others have recommended Dinosaur, and my dad is always telling me to check out Lake Powell. Any suggestions? Open to sites anywhere between NV and NY really, but Colorado and Utah have always seemed like the most explorable parts of the trip to me.
   718. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 24, 2018 at 01:36 PM (#5714984)
I've been stuck on 49 states for about a quarter of my life. My goal was 50 by 40, which I've missed, and now I'm lobbying my oldest daughter. 'Don't you want to see Alaska?' I've got some time.

as an aside: I don't know how someone could dismiss the big western states and assume they are facsimiles of CA,TX,NV.
   719. McCoy Posted: July 24, 2018 at 01:41 PM (#5714991)
I didn't say they were carbon copies. I asked what they had that you couldn't experience elsewhere. I also said I couldn't come up with a good enough reason for one of them to be my destination. I'm not going to go to North Dakota from Atlanta just for the hell of it.
   720. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: July 24, 2018 at 01:42 PM (#5714993)
Alaska is beautiful. Go there. Walk on a glacier. It's fun.
   721. PepTech Posted: July 24, 2018 at 01:43 PM (#5714998)
I'm lobbying my oldest daughter. 'Don't you want to see Alaska?'
There are occasionally very good deals on Alaskan cruises out of Seattle. Some include excursions to Denali. That's how I plan to knock Alaska off my list...
   722. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 24, 2018 at 01:46 PM (#5715002)
One was by myself, spread out over 9 or 10 days, just kind of zigzagging around. Saw some interesting sights, but for whatever reason the thing that has stuck with me the most was my brief stay in Beaver Crossing, Nebraska (where I saw exactly 0 beavers).

That's a peculiar place to stop for an oil change. There can't be more than 400 people I'm guessing and its not exactly right off I-80. In college, I did some work as a stringer for AP, and for a paper in York, NE, covering small class football, which is a little bit west/NW of Beaver Crossing. Needless to say, there were all kinds of jokes about Beaver Crossing and girls from Beaver Crossing. I remember hearing it got whacked pretty hard by a tornado a few years ago.
   723. PepTech Posted: July 24, 2018 at 01:51 PM (#5715007)
I didn't say they were carbon copies. I asked what they had that you couldn't experience elsewhere.
Yellowstone Park. Seriously. I've seen a good bit of the world, and you shouldn't miss that place.

Denver is a very cool city, catch a game at Coors.

You mentioned Washington, so I'm assuming you'll hit Rainier (speaking of walking on a glacier!), but don't sleep on Crater Lake. Utah has several national parks that are distinct. Depends on what you're after, I suppose.

That's leaving out the obvious, which would be the Grand Canyon. Can't experience THAT elsewhere.
   724. Mike A Posted: July 24, 2018 at 01:52 PM (#5715008)
...what other National Parks feature a similar-to-Yellowstone vibe?
Hard question, since Yellowstone is probably the most 'unique' of the National Parks. Not counting Alaska/Hawaii...I'd say Carlsbad Caverns is pretty different. They're the most beautiful of the NPS caves (Mammoth, Wind Cave), and watching the bats and hiking down into the Caverns will leave an impression. Biscayne NP offers snorkeling there or nearby Pennekamp, my kids loved it. There's also side trips to make to Dry Tortugas/Keys/Everglades.

Death Valley is other-worldly kind of like Yellowstone, also perhaps Arches. For wildlife, Badlands/Custer and Rocky Mountain are good stops. I love Acadia, it's scenic but there's a lot to do other than just drive around (fish, kayak, bike, etc). The very diverse Olympic is also in my top five.

Trying to get to all 59 NPs, just don't know if the parks in upper Alaska are particularly feasible.
   725. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 24, 2018 at 01:53 PM (#5715010)
I didn't say they were carbon copies. I asked what they had that you couldn't experience elsewhere. I also said I couldn't come up with a good enough reason for one of them to be my destination. I'm not going to go to North Dakota from Atlanta just for the hell of it.

I mean there is something to your original point I think. Mountains are kinda all the same, although they are all different obviously. If you've seen Rockie Mountain National or Banff are you really going to see much more in the N. Cascades or Mount Shasta? Not really, unless you're backpacking. And even then the terrain is rather similar you'll have your treeline, your alpine lakes, meadows, rainy side, dry side and so on.

I'd say the the glaciation associated with Glacier National, Rainier, Alaska ranges and N. Cascades is probably worth checking out, as mentioned. There is something powerful amount the sheer amount of snow and ice that has accumulated on the more northern mountain ranges.
   726. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 24, 2018 at 01:55 PM (#5715012)
Yeah, I will never need to take a South American bus through any mountains, ever. I took a bus in Ecuador through a low-level Adirondack-type range, which was plenty.

Was that the trip we missed each other? I took the most terrifying taxi ride of my life in the southern mountains there. It's the rainiest place on earth and, let's just say all that water running over the road isn't great in a multiple of ways.

My longest single driving session was Dallas to San Diego. I was supposed to take the first leg and then my brother was supposed to do the second. He was working night then and he kept telling me he could drive at night, no problem. I drive from Dallas to El Paso and then let him take over and he lasted about 10 minutes before looking at me and telling me he couldn't do it anymore. Well shit. He had to be in San Diego to pick up his kid from his recently divorced wife so, the custody battle being contentious at the time, not showing up on time wasn't an option. So I took back over and took us straight through to San Diego. When we got there I parked at a beach, walked to the sand and immediately crashed for about an hour or so. My brother is a dick.*

*A year later he did it to me again. This time we had to drive from Salinas to San Diego to drop off his son and serve her with papers as he was going to sue for sole custody. Of course, I drive the first leg. We drop the kid off and the papers and, before she has a chance to read what were some pretty inflammatory claims about her in the documents, I tell him, let's get out of here right now. Does my brother listen? Hell naw. He's chatting away with his former in-laws like nothing is going on. A couple of minutes later his ex-wife comes storming out of the next room like she's going to kill him and all hell breaks loose. I physically have to drag him out of there and push him into the car and finally we're on our way back to Salinas. I drive a little and, when he's calmed down, he takes over and...makes it about 10 minutes because he's a #####. So I drive all the way back to Salinas with him snoring the snores of the just in the seat next to me. My brother is a dick*

**On that trip to and from San Diego I also had a bout of mild food poisoning and had to stop every couple of hours to crap in public restrooms. My brother is a dick.*

***Then there was this time in Florida and our girlfriends involving a rental car and a dirt road...
   727. Lassus Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:03 PM (#5715020)
Shooty: maybe? It was the first week of February, 2010.

I had a "help-with-divorce" road trip in 2003. No kids, mercifully. Denver to Portland. Just a stunning trip all the way. Pre-Walter White, I would make jokes about driving up to pairs of mobile homes you could see parked together two miles off the road in serious ass-nowhere NW Colorado after 75 miles of nothing in every direction.
   728. PepTech Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:04 PM (#5715022)
If you've seen Rockie Mountain National or Banff are you really going to see much more in the N. Cascades or Mount Shasta? Not really, unless you're backpacking. And even then the terrain is rather similar you'll have your treeline, your alpine lakes, meadows, rainy side, dry side and so on.
Agreed on this; it's what my original question was about, really. Having hiked around the Cascades all my life, hiking around the Rockies is fairly similar. Not precisely the same, but close enough for non-botanists or geologists. Obviously a Lodgepole Pine is different from a Douglas Fir, but most people don't care. And one alpine waterfall is much like another.

The incredibly varied thermal activity in Yellowstone is what makes it unique - *plus* it's got all the alpine vistas you'd ever want, *and* free-ranging bison herds.

Thanks for the Carlsbad tip, Mike A, NM is one of my two missing western states (UT), and it looks like it's fairly accessible if I ever do that I-10 loop someday :)
   729. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:07 PM (#5715025)
Shooty: maybe? It was the first week of February, 2010.

Yep, that's the trip. I saw 234 species of birds on that trip!
   730. McCoy Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:07 PM (#5715026)
When we were dating my wife would do a fair amount of the driving. Like she would drive us to Savannah from Atlanta and back or we would switch drivers after every stop. Once we got settled in together I became the stereotypical man of the household when it came it driving and she became the stereotypical woman of the household in that I had to drive her everywhere and the roads suddenly became scary places that she was unable to navigate. But of course she has no problem side seat driving when you're driving. I have an amusing memory for me in which we're talking and she's relaying to me how she can't stand driving in the car with her parents because her mom will constantly nag her dad about his driving, what's happening on the road, and how to get where they are going and her dad snapping and yelling and bickering with her mom. So what does she do? Everything that she didn't like when she observed her mom in a car. We finally had a heart to heart in LA when after about the fourth GASP in the trip she nearly crashed us. I told her "look, I don't mind you helping but you need to use more descriptive words other than "gasp!" and "look out!" when I'm driving because when you do that I have no idea where the issue is and you're taking my eyes off the road. Also, a car merging in my lane 200 yards up is not a "gasp!" worthy action.
   731. Mike A Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:07 PM (#5715027)
I was thinking Arches or Zion, though others have recommended Dinosaur, and my dad is always telling me to check out Lake Powell. Any suggestions? Open to sites anywhere between NV and NY really, but Colorado and Utah have always seemed like the most explorable parts of the trip to me.
Just went to Dinosaur, it's cool to see the but I don't think it's at the level of Zion/Arches. Arches remains in my top five NPs, been there about six times. The Delicate Arch hike is one of the best in all of the parks. The park can get crowded, so go early or late. Nearby Canyonlands NP is a worthwhile stop as well, it's mostly views but they are some of the best in the West outside of Grand Canyon/Bryce.

I like Zion and the Narrows hike is also one of the best, but crowds can be an issue and you now have to take a shuttle in peak season. I'm more partial to nearby Bryce Canyon, go late night to see the Milky Way over the canyons. Capitol Reef in the middle of Utah is nice but not as interesting as the other four Utah parks. It can be skipped.
I'm not going to go to North Dakota from Atlanta just for the hell of it.
Heh, did that last year to see Teddy Roosevelt NP.
   732. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:14 PM (#5715030)
The crowds at Zion will keep me from going back. It's just not what I want from an outdoors experience. I loved Dinosaur Monument. I recently did a drive starting in Utah and ending in Denver that was a combination wildlife spotting trip and dinosaur geek out. Salt Lake City to Denver is perfect for that.
   733. PreservedFish Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:15 PM (#5715032)
If you've seen Rockie Mountain National or Banff are you really going to see much more in the N. Cascades or Mount Shasta?

I think the argument for seeing multiple large mountains chains hinges on the assumption that the traveler in question actually enjoys going to mountains. If you've been to the Cascades, but never been to the Rockies, and want to have a mountainy vacation, why not try the Rockies this time? If you loved Zion, why not try Bryce?

But if you're starting from McCoy's apparent humbug point of view - I've seen one mountain, why do I need to see another? - then yes, I suppose I agree that there's no point. Probably no point in carrying on living either, but who am I to judge?
   734. McCoy Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:19 PM (#5715034)
Don't go on living over mountains?

California has far more things to do than say Wyoming. Dollar for Dollar and minute for minute California is a far superior trip.
   735. PreservedFish Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:22 PM (#5715035)
Don't go on living over mountains?

No, over the attitude. I don't know if it's your online persona or what but you seem to be bitter and disappointed about almost everything.
   736. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:26 PM (#5715036)
Are any of you weirdly obsessed with deep sea marine life? I may need to find a travel buddy to do a submarine trip in Roatan. My wife is iffy about the whole thing and it's a little too expensive for me to pay to go solo.
   737. McCoy Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5715037)
No, over the attitude. I don't know if it's your online persona or what but you seem to be bitter and disappointed about almost everything.

Except I wasn't bitter nor disappointed in regards to mountains. I simply stated I don't know why I would ever find myself in 10 certain states. The horror, the horror.

But yes there are a lot of things in this social media world that are over hyped and people do tend to describe everything as THE BEST THING EVAH! When there is plenty of evidence that it is not.
   738. Lassus Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:30 PM (#5715038)
One must see the Badlands, and if you can't find a single reason to get your ass across the state line to see SOMETHING in ND, there's really no point in traveling at all.
   739. jmurph Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5715040)
47 states for me, missing: Hawaii, Oklahoma, Kansas. Obviously I actually want to experience Hawaii, but I admit that if/when I get to the other two it will just be to complete the list.

Third or fourth or whatever the vouching for the mountain states, though, they're incredible. And as to California vs Wyoming: yes, obviously California has much much more to offer, but there is something about the vastness combined with the human scarcity in the mountain states that is incredible to experience. Also it's just a different landscape, and beautiful at that.
   740. Lassus Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5715042)
I saw Das Boot when I was 23. I'm not getting in any goddamned submarine.
   741. jmurph Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:35 PM (#5715043)
I've been stuck on 49 states for about a quarter of my life. My goal was 50 by 40, which I've missed, and now I'm lobbying my oldest daughter. 'Don't you want to see Alaska?' I've got some time.

Tulo's, you're a Wisconsin guy, am I making that up? There's pretty cheap flights to Alaska regularly on Frontier* and Alaska Airlines, and without double-checking I'm pretty sure both fly to Milwaukee.

*Maybe not Frontier? Sorry, this is a terrible post! Anyway there are decent flights to be had to Alaska these days, was my overly simplistic point.
   742. jmurph Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:36 PM (#5715044)
I'm not getting in any goddamned submarine.

Yeah man I'm 6'2 or 3 and claustrophobic as a ############. No submarines for me.
   743. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:37 PM (#5715045)
I saw Das Boot when I was 23. I'm not getting in any goddamned submarine.

But this is a custom built submarine designed by an American History major from New Jersey and assembled in Oklahoma and operated in the conveniently regulation free country of Honduras. It's fine. Plus, you might see this guy!
   744. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5715046)
One must see the Badlands, and if you can't find a single reason to get your ass across the state line to see SOMETHING in ND, there's really no point in traveling at all.

Yea, at least in NA, that's a pretty unique place. The salt flats on the west side of PR are another unique place, worth a visit if you're ever on the island, just a short drive from the tourist NW corner.

Also, Mount Rushmore is smaller in person that it looks on TV and photos, right? Black Hills are gorgeous though.

745. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5715048)
Yeah man I'm 6'2 or 3 and claustrophobic as a ############. No submarines for me.

Hey, man, like, an airplane is just a submarine in the sky.
   746. PreservedFish Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:39 PM (#5715049)
I think I'm at 47. I've definitely never been to North Dakota, and probably have never been to Kentucky or West Virginia. If I have, I was just passing through. I will hit 50 some day, probably not by age 40, but I suppose you never know. I really want to take my kids out of school for a year and do an epic worldwide trip. Not sure how to pay for it exactly, but where there's a will there's a way!

> I'm a big fan of deep sea creatures. On television. No submarine for me please.
   747. Zonk Will Not Get Over It Abusing Its Office Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:39 PM (#5715051)
My brother is a dick.*

Is it mean if I ask if he had his children taken away?

Because I think BBTF rules dictate that someone has to either ask or suggest it.
   748. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:42 PM (#5715054)
Is it mean if I ask if he had his children taken away?

Naw, he won custody. It gets messy though. Life is long and full of twists and turns, good people.
   749. Lassus Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:42 PM (#5715055)
But this is a custom built submarine designed by an American History major from New Jersey

Are you getting on a submarine with the dude who decapitated that journalist? Can't imagine why your wife's not into it.

I'm trying to get Jules to go birdwatching in Iceland at some point. A better bet.
   750. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5715058)
> I'm a big fan of deep sea creatures. On television. No submarine for me please.

I can't believe all you basement dwellers are such claustrophobes! They have isopods a foot long down there. A foot long! Foot long pillbugs!
   751. jmurph Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:44 PM (#5715059)
Are you getting on a submarine with the dude who decapitated that journalist?

Was just thinking about that! Most submarine rides end in drowning or decapitation, that's a known fact.
   752. PreservedFish Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:46 PM (#5715060)
Those deep sea submarines only have like 1 tiny window, don't they?
   753. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:49 PM (#5715062)
Are you getting on a submarine with the dude who decapitated that journalist?

This story has not come up in the tripadvisor reviews so I am unfamiliar.

I'm trying to get Jules to go birdwatching in Iceland at some point. A better bet.

There are good birds in Iceland but the variety isn't great. That said, I'll be heading there next summer for some birdwatching and to dive an underwater sea vent. It's the only place in the world where a vent is shallow enough to get to by diving. My wife will happily come along because she thinks Bjork will just be hanging out...
   754. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:50 PM (#5715065)
Those deep sea submarines only have like 1 tiny window, don't they?

This one is properly windowfied. It's a tourist vehicle so it would be pointless if it wasn't.
   755. Zonk Will Not Get Over It Abusing Its Office Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:55 PM (#5715070)
I think I'm at 47. I've definitely never been to North Dakota, and probably have never been to Kentucky or West Virginia. If I have, I was just passing through. I will hit 50 some day, probably not by age 40, but I suppose you never know. I really want to take my kids out of school for a year and do an epic worldwide trip. Not sure how to pay for it exactly, but where there's a will there's a way!

I've got 48 - the usual contiguous set... Though, most of these were family vacations - my mom used to collect those state spoons that used (still are?) a thing, but unfortunately, passed before she could knock Alaska and Hawaii off her list. This would definitely lead to the family truckster doing detours -- specifically detouring to North Dakota when we did the Badlands, etc... I recall that Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine were likewise detours on a trip to do historic Boston (she was a teacher, so our trips almost invariably incorporated plenty of educational components).

Myself/adulthood - without thinking too hard about it - I believe I'd need to re-do the Dakotas, get Maine, and actually, maybe Oklahoma (don't recall exactly the route I took in college to the Rose Bowl). The list obviously gets longer if one has to do more than just 'drive through'... though, I have precious little love for Nebraska (speeding ticket capital of the country, I have zero doubt) and would refuse to spend a tourist dime there. I think the $500 or so total I've given them in speeding tickets is plenty.

756. McCoy Posted: July 24, 2018 at 02:57 PM (#5715074)
I always viewed Ohio as the speeding capital of the country.
   757. PreservedFish Posted: July 24, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5715079)
If the list were "more than just drive through," I think I'd be at 42, knocking off Nebraska, Idaho, Delaware, and maybe both Alabama and Mississippi.
   758. BDC Posted: July 24, 2018 at 03:04 PM (#5715082)
45 states for me, missing Alaska, Hawaii, Arizona, Wyoming, and North Dakota.

Arizona is the puzzling one. Not only is it on the way to places I've frequently been to, but it's got a major-league baseball team, Spring Training, and there's a popular baseball conference there every March. I don't see how I can never have been to Arizona. Some day soon.

The others are simply remote, at least from me. I have happened to live in the Northeast and Southwest, which has given me a lot of states just in the course of travel back and forth; and to have taken one academic trip to the Northwest that gave me four states and one province within a couple of days. I doubt I'll ever get more than 46 states, though, unless I take some trips expressly to say I've been in a given state.

I've been in every European country west of Belarus and the Baltics, except for Spain, Norway, and Scotland. I do plan to go to Norway two years from now unless the fates intervene. The Munch Museum on Oslo is on my own bucket list.
   759. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: July 24, 2018 at 03:05 PM (#5715083)
757: Can't speak for Idaho, but from my experience you're not missing much in the other states. Though Mississippi did have both the best seafood and the worst pizza I've ever consumed.
   760. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 24, 2018 at 03:08 PM (#5715087)
Tulo's, you're a Wisconsin guy, am I making that up?

Originally, yes. Living in Indy area now. Either way, point taken, I can get to Seattle easily via AA from Indy. I did have a visit planned for Alaska when I was in my 20s, but that got postponed for more important personal reasons at that time. At this stage, I'm interested in planning a proper visit, with my kids, thus I've been waiting around until they are both older than 7. I could very easily parlay a work trip to Seattle into an extended quick drop into Alaska, but that would be such a chickenshit way to hit #50. My brothers and my Mom are also stuck on 49 (all missing Alaska). My Dad knocked that out decades ago.
   761. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 24, 2018 at 03:10 PM (#5715091)
This one is properly windowfied. It's a tourist vehicle so it would be pointless if it wasn't.
Yeah, but you still can't open them if someone farts.
   762. BDC Posted: July 24, 2018 at 03:10 PM (#5715092)
I had a good steak in downtown Omaha once, to reach back to another subthread. But that's about my entire Nebraskan experience.

Idaho, I have only been to the panhandle, but stayed overnight there and saw some of the towns, driving US 95 from Coeur d'Alene up to Canada. I do think that's different scenery from other mountainous areas. It's one of the most beautiful drives I've done.
   763. Lassus Posted: July 24, 2018 at 03:11 PM (#5715093)
I've been at 49 since I was 38. I've only missed Maine, but by now it's on purpose, I have friends in Dover NH I've visited plenty. (I would live in Portsmouth if it was ever an opportunity). It seems almost anticlimactic now.

I'm at five continents and the arctic circle. Hard to say I'll make it to Antarctica, but who knows? Africa is next, someday.
   764. Zonk Will Not Get Over It Abusing Its Office Posted: July 24, 2018 at 03:14 PM (#5715097)
If the list were "more than just drive through," I think I'd be at 42, knocking off Nebraska, Idaho, Delaware, and maybe both Alabama and Mississippi.

I will put in a plug for Idaho - rafted the Snake River once (part of a tour, so not he-man outdoorsy) and it was both beautiful and a ton of fun.

I will continue to insist that the only way to make Nebraska not suck is for everyone else to collectively shun it.
   765. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 24, 2018 at 03:14 PM (#5715099)
Yeah, but you still can't open them if someone farts.

This is why I'd prefer if my wife went with me...
   766. PreservedFish Posted: July 24, 2018 at 03:17 PM (#5715103)
Actually I have done something in Idaho. I spent a night in Coeur d'Alene and ate at something like an Olive Garden. Good times.

But I don't need a plug for the state - I know it's gorgeous. Continuing with the theme here of unenthusiastic wives, a few years ago I discovered a cheap flight to Boisie and couldn't convince my wife to do an impromptu weekend trip.
   767. McCoy Posted: July 24, 2018 at 03:22 PM (#5715107)
I somehow found myself in Omaha, Nebraska not once but twice in my life. My cousin lives out there and we drove out there to see him for his 30th birthday and for his wedding. I think both times were during the summer so it was as hot as a toaster oven in that city. Seemed like a podunk of a city. Found some craft beer restaurant on their little strip in downtown and he had his wedding reception in the cattle building or whatever it was called.
   768. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 24, 2018 at 03:27 PM (#5715117)
I would totally fart in a submarine, because think about it - after that, for the rest of your life, you can be like, "Dude, remember that time I totally farted in the submarine??"
   769. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 24, 2018 at 03:31 PM (#5715123)
I'm about 98% sure I would totally fart in a submarine, because think about it - after that, for the rest of your life, you can be like, "Dude, remember that time I totally farted in a submarine??"

Crosses Billy Ripken off the list.
   770. vortex of dissipation Posted: July 24, 2018 at 03:32 PM (#5715124)
I'm really envious of people who have travelled. I've been to only nine states (Washington, Oregon, Idaho. California, Nevada, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New York, and Maryland), and five countries (England, USA, France, Canada, and Mexico). I've been to British Columbia since then, but as far as the US goes, I haven't been out of Washington state since 2003.
   771. jmurph Posted: July 24, 2018 at 03:43 PM (#5715134)
If the list were "more than just drive through,"

For my own list I count them if you do something there, even if it's just roadside dining or a quick stop somewhere. Others might have more rigorous definitions.
   772. Lassus Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:00 PM (#5715153)
I assume I'm either a traitor to my sex or just better than all of you, because the fascination boys have with farting continues to make no sense at all.
   773. PreservedFish Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:02 PM (#5715156)
Not a huge fart guy myself, but the submarine fart is inescapably tremendous. PUN INTENDED.
   774. dlf Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:04 PM (#5715159)
For my own list I count them if you do something there, even if it's just roadside dining or a quick stop somewhere. Others might have more rigorous definitions.

My requirements are slightly, but only slightly, higher. Driving through without stopping or just changing planes doesn't count. And a stop just for gas and to eat at a national chain restaurant doesn't either. Lastly, I only count states I've been to that I can actually remember - the cross country drives with my folks when I was 7 or 8 must have gone through Nebraska, but I ain't counting it.

So for the contiguous 48, I've missed: NH, VT, DE, WV, ND, SD, NE, MT, ID, and OR. We are talking about a ski trip to Sun Valley so I may get to knock one more off next winter. I haven't been to AK or HI, but have been to PR (saw a "home" Expos game while I was there) and USVI.
   775. Lassus Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:06 PM (#5715163)
I don't see how driving through Maryland doesn't count as having been in Maryland, but knock yourselves out.
   776. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:07 PM (#5715166)
My imaginary rule on 'states visited' involves engaging in commerce, which excludes a commercial airline layover, or simply riding as a passenger or driver through the state without stopping and paying for something. I suppose, you have availed yourself of [X] state law by merely being a person within the state boundaries.

Yes, Mt. Rushmore is rather diminutive when in person. The Black Hills are indeed gorgeous. I love the region. I also simply endorse meeting people and visiting different places and cities, it isn't just about the topography out West. No offense to insert large city here, but the pheasant hunt, or fishing trip I haven't been on yet in BFE North Dakota will be as interesting or memorable to me than another visit to Chicago, or LA. I'm not moving to these places, but I have a lifetime of surprises and enjoyable memories because of it. I scoffed at the idea of Balloon Fiesta in MFing Alburquerque before I went. ####### fantastic weekend.
   777. Davo Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:11 PM (#5715168)
I took my 4-year-old son to his first Tartakovsky film over the weekend. He did pretty well until we ran out of popcorn, and then he started losing steam fast. But he made it the whole way through, bless his heart.
   778. jmurph Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:17 PM (#5715179)
I also simply endorse meeting people and visiting different places and cities, it isn't just about the topography out West.

Yeah I second this. We've been talking mostly landscape and scenery and such, but I also just love to visit random new towns and cities and walk around, find good pizza (well food in general but I mostly actually mean pizza), try the local beer, all that.
   779. McCoy Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:25 PM (#5715184)
So far I've driven through Mississippi and Alabama. I'm pretty sure I stopped for food along the way. I think it was a Wendy's. Anyway, my then GF was terrified of Mississippi. We were flying back from LA and Hartsfield was shutdown because of a power outage so we landed in Memphis and decided to rent a car to drive back to Atlanta. In her view, and the drive reinforced it, Mississippi is a backwater hellhole full of horribly racist dumb human beings. She was very relieved to get into Alabama which was a shock to her because she kind of had the same opinion of Alabama as she did for Mississippi. She found Alabama to be much more developed than Mississippi. Of course it didn't help things that Google Maps got us lost when were looking for a place to eat off the highway in Mississippi in the middle of the night. I think at one point we were on a dirt road with critters scurrying in front of our headlights and I think she thought a scene straight out of Jeepers Creepers was going to play out for us.
   780. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:32 PM (#5715187)
Flagstaff and Sedona area is a really cool spot. We rented an Airnbnb right outside the National Forest up there (it was a really well designed A-Frame and only $100 a night split between three of us) and had a great time hiking around and enjoying the local beer. Dan Majerle has a bar there.

I like AZ in general. It's so affordable as a winter/spring getaway from the PNW. I've done spring training a couple times now and loved it. It will be between Hawaii and a return to spring training for spring vacation next year.

In the PNW I've found that I NEED a week of sun in February or March. It is a stereotype that is true. Winters are very, very gloomy here. If you're a white collar office type it grinds the hell out of you. Every day is 50 degrees and overcast for at times what seems like four months straight. You go to work in the dark, it's barely brighter at lunch, and you go home in the dark.

A week in AZ or NOLA or Hawaii is just the trick. Always refreshes me nicely heading into Spring, which again can be really gloomy here. April can be as bad as December, warmer, but just as overcast.
   781. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5715188)
I assume I'm either a traitor to my sex or just better than all of you, because the fascination boys have with farting continues to make no sense at all.
Clearly you've never farted on a submarine.
   782. PepTech Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:35 PM (#5715189)
dlf, was NH "just" a drivethrough on your way to ME, or did you fly in? Inquiring minds must know.

Like Rushmore, the Sphinx is a lot smaller than you'd think. All those photos must be from people lying on the ground. Walked right past the damn thing without realizing it.

783. vortex of dissipation Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5715195)
In the PNW I've found that I NEED a week of sun in February or March. It is a stereotype that is true. Winters are very, very gloomy here. If you're a white collar office type it grinds the hell out of you. Every day is 50 degrees and overcast for at times what seems like four months straight. You go to work in the dark, it's barely brighter at lunch, and you go home in the dark.

A week in AZ or NOLA or Hawaii is just the trick. Always refreshes me nicely heading into Spring, which again can be really gloomy here. April can be as bad as December, warmer, but just as overcast.

I live in the Seattle area - each spring, when the first few sunny days appear after the winter, I get severe headaches because I'm not used to the sunlight.
   784. Zonk Will Not Get Over It Abusing Its Office Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:40 PM (#5715197)
My requirements are slightly, but only slightly, higher. Driving through without stopping or just changing planes doesn't count. And a stop just for gas and to eat at a national chain restaurant doesn't either. Lastly, I only count states I've been to that I can actually remember - the cross country drives with my folks when I was 7 or 8 must have gone through Nebraska, but I ain't counting it.

It's entirely likely the experience was so horrific that your psyche has blocked out any memory of time in Nebraska. Their speed trap persecution of out-of-state plates is just the tip of the iceberg.
   785. BDC Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:42 PM (#5715198)
   786. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:44 PM (#5715203)
Anyway, my then GF was terrified of Mississippi.

Just stay away from Starkville, nothing but troglodytes there.

She found Alabama to be much more developed than Mississippi.

Someone really LOVES boiled peanuts. There's no other explanation.
   787. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:46 PM (#5715204)
I live in the Seattle area - each spring, when the first few sunny days appear after the winter, I get severe headaches because I'm not used to the sunlight.

And this time of year most of us are sick of it. I'm really hoping we do not have smokepacalypse 2.0 this August. Last year was unbearable.
   788. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:47 PM (#5715205)
Here's an attempt to identify terrific personal experiences in so called 'podunk' places, non-National Parks.

Nebraska: (Omaha) College World Series or (Lincoln) Nebraska football or women's volleyball game, A trip to the Sandhills.
Kentucky: Keeneland (Horse Track) (April or October)(Lexington). Like going back in time. Beautiful.
Iowa: Drake Relays (T&F meet in Des Moines), Amana Colonies, I'm a sucker for this, and Czech Museum (Cedar Rapids) (I'm Czech). Drive along the Mississippi River in Fall, Pikes Peak State Park comes to mind.
New Mexico: Aforementioned Balloon Fiesta, (early October).
Wyoming: Buffalo Bill Historical Society, Cody , World Class museums, the firearms museum among them.
Mississippi: Oxford, a tailgate in the Grove on a fall Saturday, pretty special place, you don't need to go to the football game. The town's pretty interesting too, particularly for the literary types on BTF.

If I had more time, I'd come up with some others states.
   789. dlf Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:48 PM (#5715207)
we landed in Memphis and decided to rent a car to drive back to Atlanta

Your spouse should have been happy that they've recently finished I-22. A night time drive from Memphis to B'ham used to be mostly two lane roads from Olive Branch through Tupelo and on into Jasper. I, on the other hand, enjoyed those small towns. You can find great BBQ pretty much anywhere you stop. You, of all people, stopping at Wendy's is a crying shame.

My father-in-law served on one of the last of the old Gato-class subs, diesel boats originally launched during WWII. His dolphin years were in the 60s, long after they were useful as warships and, while stationed in Key West during the Cuban Missile Crisis, were ordered to sail north as fast as possible to get out of the way of the useful surface and sub fleet. He does tell tales of the smells of 75 men in close quarters for over two months.
   790. dlf Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:51 PM (#5715211)
dlf, was NH "just" a drivethrough on your way to ME, or did you fly in? Inquiring minds must know.

Drove through. Spent a couple of days in Maine. We may have stopped to get gas, but that was it.

She found Alabama to be much more developed than Mississippi.

Someone really LOVES boiled peanuts. There's no other explanation.

Heresy my good sir, heresy. Better BBQ, better beaches, better football, and far more, charming, intelligent and beautiful women in Alabama.

791. PepTech Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:52 PM (#5715212)
I'm not sure if it's even possible for this thread to have an aside, but I did want to mention that over a two-day period (in Yellowstone) we saw plates from 46 different states, the six major provinces (sorry, PEI), and Mexico. Also a Darth Vader plate.

I award no points for guessing Hawaii. Of the other three missing states, two would be expected, and one was really only a slight surprise. The 45th state was Connecticut, and the 46th was Alabama.
   792. Booey Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:55 PM (#5715216)
Man, y'all are making me jealous. I love traveling, but both my parents hated it so we never went on family vacations as kids, and then I rarely had the vacation time or money to do it when I was a young, childless adult, and now that I do, I have 3 kids ages 3-6 that make it virtually impossible (I realize my own parents could have used this reasoning too). So my list of states visited is woefully unimpressive compared to most of yours (it includes some really pretty ones, though): Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, Florida, Tennessee, and Mississippi.

I'm not counting airport layovers, otherwise I could technically throw Texas, Missouri, Georgia, Minnesota, and Illinois in there, too. Nor am I counting the 5 minutes I spent in Arkansas, just driving across the bridge from Memphis so we could say we were in another state. I AM counting the half day we spent in Tunica, Mississippi on our Memphis trip though, riding a riverboat cruise and then stopping to gamble in an Indian casino. A half day and a few commercial activities are enough to count in my book.
   793. PreservedFish Posted: July 24, 2018 at 04:55 PM (#5715217)
during the Cuban Missile Crisis, were ordered to sail north as fast as possible to get out of the way of the useful surface and sub fleet

That's embarrassing.
   794. BDC Posted: July 24, 2018 at 05:01 PM (#5715226)
over a two-day period (in Yellowstone) we saw plates from 46 different states, the six major provinces (sorry, PEI), and Mexico

At the Viking Ship Museum on the Roskilde Fjord in Denmark a couple of weeks ago, I saw plates from Denmark and all the surrounding countries, but also Finland, France, Spain, the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Slovakia, Switzerland, and Italy.

It's kind of a crappy museum building, and we didn't even go into it. We were there to get lunch on a shipboard restaurant that does two-hour sittings while it moseys around the fjord. I have no idea why you'd want to drive there from Slovakia.
   795. Howie Menckel Posted: July 24, 2018 at 05:48 PM (#5715253)

Erin Serpico
‏ @ACPressSerpico
20m20 minutes ago

The announcement comes after @TMZ reported @ddlovato was hospitalized after an apparent heroin overdose.

Erin Serpico added,
Press of AC
@ThePressofAC
Demi Lovato will not perform beach concert amid hospitalization … via @ThePressofAC

796. Howie Menckel Posted: July 24, 2018 at 05:50 PM (#5715255)
I do the "2-night stay minimum" for states (can be non-consecutive but you've gotta sleep there twice).

25 that way - otherwise 38, but agree that airport connections, drive-thrus of slivers of states etc surely shouldn't count
   797. Omineca Greg Posted: July 24, 2018 at 06:31 PM (#5715265)
"OMG, that's disgusting, roll down the window...Now."

"If you didn't want my farts to smell like haggis, you shouldn't have brought me to Scotland. If I go around this roundabout really fast one more time, all the gas will be thrown to your side of the car. That's fluid dynamics!"

"Oh, please tell me there's no fluids involved. From the smell I wouldn't doubt it."

"Gas is a fluid. What you're fearing is a liquid."

"This coming from the guy who hasn't passed a science class since 1985."

"While you were passing classes, I was passing gasses...WITH HONOURS!"

"What kind of honour to do they possibly have for that?"

"Uhhh.......I was named the Honourary Fifth Stag of Yggdrasil! Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr, Duraþrór, and...GREG!"

"More like the Honourary Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse: Pestilence, War, Famine, Death...and whatever the #### that smell is coming out your ass..."

"Of a' the airts the wind can blaw,
I dearly like the west,
For there the bonie lassie lives,
The lassie I lo'e best:"

"OMG, if you think Robbie Burns can save you..."

"There's wild-woods grow, and rivers row,
And mony a hill between:
But day and night my fancys' flight
Is ever wi' my Jean."

"But that's not my..."

"I see her in the dewy flowers,
I see her sweet and fair:
I hear her in the tunefu' birds,
I hear her charm the air:
There's not a bonie flower that springs,
By fountain, shaw, or green;
There's not a bonie bird that sings,
But minds me o' my Jean."

"[sigh] OK, roll down the window, exit the roundabout, and we'll call it a truce. Fair?"

"None so fair as you, me lady. None so fair as you."
   798. BDC Posted: July 24, 2018 at 07:17 PM (#5715290)
I do the "2-night stay minimum" for states

That is pretty strict. By that standard I have hardly been anywhere.
   799. Booey Posted: July 24, 2018 at 08:39 PM (#5715337)
I do the "2-night stay minimum" for states

That is pretty strict. By that standard I have hardly been anywhere.

Yeah, a lot of weekend roadtrips wouldn't qualify under this criteria. You could easily leave on a Saturday morning, drive to another state 3-6 hours away, spend half the day there, all night, and then half of Sunday before driving back without it "counting" by this standard. From SLC, I've done this to Vegas several times, plus Denver and Boise a couple times each. From the eastern states where several major cities are within a short(ish) drive, it would be even easier. 24-30 hours can give you a pretty fun and fulfilling little getaway.

Edit: I still probably wouldn't count airport layovers though, even if you were there for half a day or even overnight.
   800. PreservedFish Posted: July 24, 2018 at 09:28 PM (#5715367)
floooorp
Page 8 of 10 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
JPWF13
for his generous support.