Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, June 24, 2018

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (let’s call it July 2018)

With so much time spent fostering garbage takes on food, perhaps many of you missed Tom Breihan’s “A History of Violence” series, which kicked off in 2016 with a celebration of Bullitt:

When you talk about the history of action movies, you sort of have to define what an action movie is first. As with any movie genre, lines blur, and movies can be multiple things at once. Action—fights, chases, bodies forced into extreme circumstances—has been a part of narrative cinema since narrative cinema became a thing. If you wanted to be ultra-pedantic, you could say that the 1903 silent film The Great Train Robbery was the first action movie, though it would take a whole lot of work to draw a historical line between that and John Wick.

For the purposes of this column, action movies didn’t arrive in their modern and fully-formed state until the late ’60s. There were other genres of movies that supplied the kinds of thrills that action movies would later provide: Westerns, war movies, crime thrillers. (All those genres will appear, in hybridized forms, in this column later on. We’re also going to stay away from things like superhero movies, sci-fi, fantasy, and Oscar bait, except in the rare instances when those genres cross over fully with the action genre.) And there were movies that could be considered proto-action movies: John Sturges’ 1955 Bad Day At Black Rock, Hitchcock’s 1959 North By Northwest, all the early movies in the Bond series.

I should also add that the whole goal of this column is to pick the most important action movie of every year, not necessarily the best or most beloved. (Most of the time, though, it probably will be the best or most beloved action movie of its year, partly because bullshit usually doesn’t leave that deep of an impact and partly because I have no desire to rewatch a bunch of bullshit.)

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: June 24, 2018 at 06:43 PM | 939 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 9 of 10 pages ‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 > 
   801. PreservedFish Posted: July 24, 2018 at 09:30 PM (#5715370)
I do the "2-night stay minimum" for states

I would drop a lot of states under this standard. Much of the south and the midwest.

It's also not a perfect standard. It's actually possible that I have not spent two nights in New Jersey, although I've been there innumerable times. Whereas I know for sure I've spent at least 2 nights in Oklahoma, and haven't spent more than about 3 hours actually doing anything there other than just coming or going.
   802. Rennie's Tenet Posted: July 24, 2018 at 09:43 PM (#5715384)
I've been to 36 of the lower 48, just realized the other 12 are all contiguous, stretching from New Mexico to South Carolina and Georgia. I got a crazy young German Shepherd five years ago. We're out exploring every day, but have never gotten more than 250 miles from home.
   803. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 25, 2018 at 06:18 AM (#5715458)
Re-watched 'Ronin' last night for the first time in about 15 years. Odd throwback action/heist with a great cast, but some of the editing and directing decisions were very jarring, if they were indeed decisions. Strange to contrast with, say, 'Heat'. I suspect I'd have enjoyed it more if I had greater than a theoretical interest in car chases.
   804. Rennie's Tenet Posted: July 25, 2018 at 07:26 AM (#5715465)
I thought DeNiro and Jean Reno had a good rapport in Ronin. To me, the movie felt like it might be the pilot for a series of films. It didn't happen, but I was hoping Reno would turn up in The Irishman, since every other old gangster is in it,
   805. yo la tengo Posted: July 25, 2018 at 08:58 AM (#5715486)
Thinking of states now.. been to every one on the Atlantic coast and every one on the Pacific coast. Not a ton in between. GA, AL,TN, LA, MS, TX, IN, IL, OK, PA, WV, MI, NH, VT

More than I thought. I think I am at 30 overall

Took a train trip many summers ago that got me from Chicago to Seattle, then Seattle to New Orleans but I don't count a state if I have not set foot in it.
   806. Howie Menckel Posted: July 25, 2018 at 09:14 AM (#5715491)
Lady 1, Fox 0
"Tammy DuBois enjoys being outdoors at her South Jersey home.

So on July 18 she was on her way out in the yard to visit the garden, but first she checked a bird feeder near the house.

There was a rustling in the bushes, but it didn't strike her as that odd. It might be a stray cat or even a dog, she thought. Animals that are often abandoned by their owners in Pittsgrove Township's Parvin State Park near her family's property.

It was then she saw it. A fox ran from the bushes and jumped up against her leg, the entire time making a barking-type sound often heard from foxes -- "yip, yip, yip, yip, yip."

"I just backed up," DuBois, 52, recounted. "It was going crazy, making noises and its mouth was moving."

The fox circled around DuBois and began its attack, biting her with its sharp teeth on the calf of her right leg. Then it bit her again, its teeth puncturing her skin a second time.

Trying to escape, DuBois ran up the steps of her porch to the house door.

The fox followed. As she tried to open the door to get inside, the fox began gnawing sideways on her already wounded leg."

(well, we all know what WE would do - run away screaming? but this is a Jersey Girl so....)

"With the animal tearing at her flesh, she reached down and grabbed its snout with her left hand holding it tightly shut. With her right hand she grabbed the fox's neck and squeezed.

"It was biting at my leg, I had to do something."

The fox struggled to get free, but soon went limp.

"I couldn't do anything else to get it away from me," she said. "I don't like to kill anything."
   807. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 25, 2018 at 09:20 AM (#5715494)
Yikes. We have a semi-resident fox in our yard (it lusts after the chickens, I'm pretty sure, but also eats some of the corn my wife puts out for the critters and, when it can, eats those critters). I'll have to keep an eye out. What I've discovered about foxes is that they sometimes make this really loud bark/screech in the middle of the night which I'm assuming is some kind of mating thing.

Also, BEAR ALERT!: Yesterday we had a mama bear and two cubs meander through the yard, destroying all the bird feeders and being super goddam cute.
   808. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 25, 2018 at 09:44 AM (#5715507)
What I've discovered about foxes is that they sometimes make this really loud bark/screech in the middle of the night which I'm assuming is some kind of mating thing.

Indeed it is; our fox family near our SE London flat often resulted in noises distressingly like a woman screaming. Getting halfway out of bed to do something before realizing the source resulted in quite a few sullen mornings for me. On the plus side, photos of them out and enjoying the sun in our communal gardens were fantastic.

"With the animal tearing at her flesh, she reached down and grabbed its snout with her left hand holding it tightly shut. With her right hand she grabbed the fox's neck and squeezed.

That sounds pretty awful. Awarding myself a calm and poise I very much doubt I would actually have had, I think my best move might have been to try to scruff the animal. I'm never sure exactly which species that works on and which it doesn't - certainly works perfectly on our ferrets - but it is quite difficult to get badly hurt yourself if you're able to get the grip.
   809. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 25, 2018 at 11:28 AM (#5715566)

HERSHEY, Neb. (AP) — An Iowa woman who was ticketed for speeding in Nebraska perhaps didn't take the citation seriously — deputies clocked her driving at 142 mph as she accelerated away from the traffic stop.

The Lincoln County sheriff's office says the 31-year-old woman from Council Bluffs was eventually arrested on suspicion of willful reckless driving after deputies caught up with her for a second time early Saturday.
Deputies first stopped the 2018 Ford Mustang around 1 a.m. Saturday on Interstate 80 near North Platte after it was recorded driving 92 mph in a 75 mph zone. The driver was cited and told she could leave.

But she took off at speed and the deputies gave chase, using radar to clock her driving at 142 mph.
Online court records don't indicate formal charges.

Zonk, you need to send this broad your newsletter.
   810. Zonk would like to buy all your Greenlands Posted: July 25, 2018 at 11:39 AM (#5715575)
Zonk, you need to send this broad your newsletter.

Indeed.

Another helpless citizen framed by the Securitate of the Democratic People's Republic of Nebraska.
   811. Morty Causa Posted: July 25, 2018 at 11:44 AM (#5715583)

Read the article. She showed some presence of mind as well as guts.
   812. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 25, 2018 at 11:44 AM (#5715585)
Is Nebraska a real place? It sounds made up, something parents invent to scare little Californian children into waxing their surfboards or eating all of their guacamole.
   813. I am going to be Frank Posted: July 25, 2018 at 11:52 AM (#5715595)
As a kid I took a train with my family from NJ to Orlando for Disney. It was long and not particularly memorable. Back in 1988 I took a train from Beijing to Shanghai. It was an overnight train and my family had rented a private compartment. That sucked. I've also done European trains (bullet and overnight) and the Japanese and Chinese high speed trains. Most recently I did the Chicago to Milwaukee train. WiFi was terrible on that train, but it got me to Milwaukee in a very reasonable amount of time and cheaply.

Let's see - AK, HI, WA, OR, CA, NV, AZ, CO, MT, TX, LA, WI, IL, MO, MI, OH, PA, TN, ME, MA, CT, NY, NJ, MD, VA, NC, SC, GA and FL. So 29 states plus DC. That seems low, considering I've been to 25 of the 30 MLB stadiums, but I'm a city guy and not really outdoorsy, so I guess that makes sense.

I've also driven through DE, NH, RI and WV, but never spent any meaningful time there.
   814. jmurph Posted: July 25, 2018 at 11:56 AM (#5715604)
I've also driven through DE, NH, RI and WV, but never spent any meaningful time there.

There are lifelong residents of some of these states that haven't, either.

(I kid! Some of my best friends, etc.)
   815. JJ1986 Posted: July 25, 2018 at 11:59 AM (#5715607)
I've been through Delaware hundreds of times and the only time that I've stopped there was when my car died.
   816. BDC Posted: July 25, 2018 at 12:06 PM (#5715610)
I still don't know about this "meaningful time" thing. Too subjective for me.

For instance, I once spent two nights in Minnesota. I was on a job interview – flew in late the night before, spent the next day indoors in St. Paul (good thing too, since it was February), and stayed over before an early flight out on the third day. I can't tell you a heck of a lot about Minnesota except that in 1988, the priest's dining room at the College of St. Thomas served an excellent breakfast.

OTOH I have only spent one night in Switzerland (in Geneva, five years ago). Yet I have driven across Switzerland twice (Zurich to Lichtenstein, Zurich to Geneva), and taken the train across from Germany to Italy, and have visited Zurich and Basel in addition to Geneva, and have made several trips across from Konstanz to various border towns in the north of Switzerland. This over a period of 30+ years. Switzerland is not a huge place (a little smaller than Ohio), so it's the kind of country you can see quite a bit of while staying in other countries. I do feel I've been there, certainly more so than I've been in Minnesota.

To each their own, though. It's all a matter of how you count things. One could have an H-index of how many countries/states they'd spent how many nights in, for instance.
   817. PreservedFish Posted: July 25, 2018 at 12:20 PM (#5715626)
That was a much more worldly illustration than my "I've been to New Jersey a lot but I never spend the night there" in 801.

I spent one night in Hong Kong - all told it was something like 21 hours - but I touristed about as hard as you can in those hours, enough for me to think that I understood at least something of the character of the place.
   818. BDC Posted: July 25, 2018 at 12:31 PM (#5715634)
"I've been to New Jersey a lot but I never spend the night there"

I spent 14 years in New Jersey. I really wish I could get them back.
   819. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 25, 2018 at 12:33 PM (#5715635)
Is Nebraska a real place?

I still have relatives there, my folks were born in Omaha, and I went to UN-Lincoln. It's all real, even the quirky unicameral legislative branch. I managed to not get any speeding tickets while living in the state. Kansas on the other hand... I don't dispute for a moment, I-80 is heavily patrolled. At least the speed limit is 75.
   820. Rennie's Tenet Posted: July 25, 2018 at 12:44 PM (#5715648)
I've never been to Bulgaria, but did spend a night in Sofia.
   821. Zonk would like to buy all your Greenlands Posted: July 25, 2018 at 12:48 PM (#5715653)
I managed to not get any speeding tickets while living in the state.

Because you had Nebraska plates.

The radar guns are calibrated to only nab out-of-state plates. It's like North Korea without the beaches :-)
   822. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 25, 2018 at 01:16 PM (#5715680)
The Lincoln County sheriff's office says the 31-year-old woman from Council Bluffs was eventually arrested on suspicion of willful reckless driving after deputies caught up with her for a second time early Saturday.
Deputies first stopped the 2018 Ford Mustang around 1 a.m. Saturday on Interstate 80 near North Platte after it was recorded driving 92 mph in a 75 mph zone. The driver was cited and told she could leave.

But she took off at speed and the deputies gave chase, using radar to clock her driving at 142 mph.
Online court records don't indicate formal charges.
No formal charges? Huh. Apparently, police don't believe alcohol was involved?
   823. PreservedFish Posted: July 25, 2018 at 01:26 PM (#5715690)
There's a newish annual psychedelic rock festival in Riverside CA named Desert Daze. Headliners this year are My Bloody Valentine and Tame Impala. Other groups that I love appearing: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, Ty Segall, King Khan, Malcom Mooney (of German krautrockers Can), Earthless, Kikagaku Moyo, the Holydrug Couple, and Ulrika Spacek. Would that I were young, Californian, and in possession of mushrooms. Instead I'll just not go and spend the weekend raking leaves or something.
   824. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: July 25, 2018 at 01:30 PM (#5715694)

*golfclap*
   825. PepTech Posted: July 25, 2018 at 01:31 PM (#5715696)
More like a minute, is what I heard.
   826. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 25, 2018 at 01:38 PM (#5715702)
Not knowing my NE State Traffic Statutes, I can say in WI, when someone is pulled over for reckless driving, the officer/deputy can exercise discretion as to whether or not to take the driver into custody at that time. Certainly when alcohol is involved (even if it isn't a full blown OWI) you would likely see immediate arrest. Reckless driving often contains a definition, among others, based on simple speeding, say 30+ over posted limit. Most RD citations I saw were those, with a summons to appear. These cases would always illicit 'oohs and aaahs' when called in Court.
Judge: Mr. Johnson, reckless driving 129 in a 65, Mr. Prosecutor, State's recommendation?'
Gallery: Oooh, Ha Ha, 129?!?! What kind of car was it?
Judge: Quiet!

Without knowing more, it is a little surprising she wasn't taken into custody, given she's from Iowa.
   827. Lassus Posted: July 25, 2018 at 01:49 PM (#5715709)
Actual pop culture news! Deadwood movie for HBO seems officially a go.
   828. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 25, 2018 at 02:24 PM (#5715735)
I'm really excited about that, but have learned to temper my enthusiasm. It's only been 15 ########### years! I'm wondering if they will cast a new Cy Tolliver (Powers Boothe), or AW Merrick (Jeffrey Jones).
   829. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: July 25, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5715745)
There's a newish annual psychedelic rock festival in Riverside CA named Desert Daze. Headliners this year are My Bloody Valentine and Tame Impala. Other groups that I love appearing:

No love for Mercury Rev? Tsk.
   830. PreservedFish Posted: July 25, 2018 at 02:44 PM (#5715757)
I'm aware that Mercury Rev is a respected and enjoyed band, but somehow I missed them entirely.
   831. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: July 25, 2018 at 02:51 PM (#5715770)
Meth of a Rockette's Kick. Mercury Rev at their finest, IMO. It's a long song, and it starts off a little slow, but it turns into beautiful, noisy madness around the halfway mark.
   832. Zonk would like to buy all your Greenlands Posted: July 25, 2018 at 02:56 PM (#5715777)
I'm really excited about that, but have learned to temper my enthusiasm. It's only been 15 ########### years! I'm wondering if they will cast a new Cy Tolliver (Powers Boothe), or AW Merrick (Jeffrey Jones).

Ditto on both counts.

833. PreservedFish Posted: July 25, 2018 at 03:03 PM (#5715788)
OK, I'm listening to Deserter's Songs right now. Reminds me of the Flaming Lips at their most precious/twee. Not so into it yet.
   834. Lassus Posted: July 25, 2018 at 03:07 PM (#5715797)
Not to be negative, but Mercury Rev always bored me.
   835. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: July 25, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5715806)
I love their first two albums, Yerself is Steam and Boces. After those, one of the lead members of the band left, and their sound got a lot softer and, I agree, kind of boring.

Definitely agree with Deserter's Songs as a poor man's Flaming Lips.
   836. vortex of dissipation Posted: July 25, 2018 at 03:37 PM (#5715825)
I haven't listened to "Deserter's Songs" in years, but I remember quite liking it when it was first released.
   837. vortex of dissipation Posted: July 25, 2018 at 03:43 PM (#5715834)
wiki notes the connection between the two bands:

Relationship with The Flaming Lips and The Soft Bulletin[edit]

As Mercury Rev was completing work on Deserter's Songs at Tarbox Road with Dave Fridmann, the producer was simultaneously helping The Flaming Lips craft their breakthrough album The Soft Bulletin in the same studio.[9] In a 2011 interview, The Flaming Lips' Wayne Coyne discussed Deserter's Songs, The Soft Bulletin, and the symbiotic creation of the two albums:

"... there were times when [The Flaming Lips] would go in [to the studio] right after [Mercury Rev], or they would come in right after us, and we were all exploring the same new gadgets together. They were starting to work in Protools at the same time we were. And whatever instruments, whatever new gadgets, between us, Mercury Rev and Dave [Fridmann] ... which ever band would get them, the next group into the studio would use them too. If Dave had just had some breakthrough moment he'd recorded with us, when Mercury Rev would come in he would say 'Hey ... we've got to do this, this is cool'. And the same thing would happen with us. So I think the connection is Dave Fridmann, and also this lack of really believing there would be an audience for this record. I think Mercury Rev felt the same way. Their audience had gone away, and all they could do was make the music that was in their dreams."

Coyne attributes some of The Soft Bulletin's success to a 1999 Flaming Lips tour with Mercury Rev:

"I think without Deserter's Songs being so significant, The Soft Bulletin would probably have not been followed too much. But since it was put in the same vein, people became very interested in us." [21]

-----------------------------------------

I'm aware that Mercury Rev is a respected and enjoyed band, but somehow I missed them entirely.

That's exactly my relationship with The Flaming Lips.
   838. PreservedFish Posted: July 25, 2018 at 03:53 PM (#5715846)
I like The Flaming Lips a lot. Surprised you don't know Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots given your Japanophilia.
   839. vortex of dissipation Posted: July 25, 2018 at 03:58 PM (#5715849)
Surprised you don't know Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots given your Japanophilia.

A couple of years ago, I did get the CD from the library, but neglected to play it before it was due back. My fault... :-)

Their catalog is so huge, and so all-over-the-place, from what I hear, that it's hard to know where to start.
   840. jmurph Posted: July 25, 2018 at 04:05 PM (#5715855)
Their catalog is so huge, and so all-over-the-place, from what I hear, that it's hard to know where to start.

I feel the same way and have settled on only getting into Yoshimi and not worrying about the rest of their stuff. Definitely one of the best records of the 2000s.
   841. PreservedFish Posted: July 25, 2018 at 04:07 PM (#5715856)
They have two albums that I think everyone agrees are their best. Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi. Before those two, they had a dated 90's sound. And since then, they've released a huge number of albums in a very distinct psychedelic vein, but have been less and less a focus of mainstream indie attention. Those two are their peak.
   842. vortex of dissipation Posted: July 25, 2018 at 04:08 PM (#5715857)
I feel the same way and have settled on only getting into Yoshimi and not worrying about the rest of their stuff. Definitely one of the best records of the 2000s.

I just put another hold on it at the library. This time I will listen to it. :-)
   843. vortex of dissipation Posted: July 25, 2018 at 04:09 PM (#5715858)
They have two albums that I think everyone agrees are their best. Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi. Before those two, they had a dated 90's sound. And since then, they've released a huge number of albums in a very distinct psychedelic vein, but have been less and less a focus of mainstream indie attention. Those two are their peak.

Thanks - I just put "Soft Bulletin" on hold also.
   844. Howie Menckel Posted: July 25, 2018 at 04:25 PM (#5715867)
is this the right thread?
OTP seems like a haven for angry people who insult each other.
you guys seem nice.
anyway, this urban myth is not a myth!

YAWN!
SACRAMENTO — A state Department of Motor Vehicles worker slept at least three hours a day on the job for nearly four years, slowing down processing times in an agency known for its long waits, a state audit said Tuesday.

According to the state auditor’s report, the DMV worker napped at her desk for an estimated 2,200 hours of work time between February 2014 and December 2017, costing the state more than $40,000.

The woman works as a data operator, a position responsible for keying in changes of address and new vehicle ownership forms. On average, auditors said, data operators process 560 documents a day. Their sleepy colleague averaged 200 documents daily, which witnesses told auditors were often error-ridden.
   845. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 25, 2018 at 05:12 PM (#5715897)
I just put another hold on it at the library. This time I will listen to it. :-)
Saving you some time. Have at it.
   846. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: July 25, 2018 at 05:16 PM (#5715900)
I remember when I worked at Tower Records, I always liked when they'd tell me to organize the CDs that had just arrived, because I could build a little fort out of them and take a nap inside.

Still don't understand why they all went out of business.

I consider Yoshimi to be the Flaming Lips' clear peak, with a handful of catchy singles spread out over the rest of their career.
   847. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 25, 2018 at 06:35 PM (#5715923)
WI, had a miserable DMV system like many others when I lived there. Then I moved to IN, and thought I was being punk'd it was so pleasant and efficient. I asked if it was always like this, so foreign to me. Apparently Mitch Daniels was maniacal about improving the DMV or BMV as it's known. Apparently its the Napping House in CA.
   848. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 25, 2018 at 06:42 PM (#5715927)
My Bloody Valentine

If I remember the title correctly, Loveless is one of my all time favorite albums. But I know nothing else about the band.
   849. Max Parkinson Posted: July 25, 2018 at 06:59 PM (#5715935)
Speaking of MBV, I’m popping into Chicago this weekend to see them Friday night at the Riv (along with a good mate). Don’t know if any of the old Mafia crew are still hanging around these parts (retro, scotto, shredder, djf, etc), but if any of y’all are heading to the show and want to grab a bevy before or after....feel free to reach out through the site.

Also planning to see the Jays/Sox game Sat night...
   850. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 25, 2018 at 07:05 PM (#5715941)
I'm not part of the old Mafia crew and will be out of town on Friday, but I live two blocks from the Riv. Enjoy the show.
   851. Max Parkinson Posted: July 25, 2018 at 07:19 PM (#5715951)
Thanks! I know we will. Last time I saw them in Chicago was with scotto and shredder, and was two days after seeing them in Toronto. I’m quite sure I sustained permanent damage from two MBV shows within 48 hours.

Shame they did this few shows in NA...
   852. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 25, 2018 at 08:36 PM (#5715988)
Very cool, how are they live?

A bit random but I just watched the Who Is America clip with the GA state lawmaker. I laughed so very, very hard.
   853. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: July 25, 2018 at 08:40 PM (#5715990)
They are loud, CP. Very, very loud.
   854. Max Parkinson Posted: July 25, 2018 at 08:52 PM (#5715993)
CP, what the dog said.

Play the following on good speakers as loud as you can handle to get a small sense of the live experience (key stuff starts at 2:10)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqUTUacZoC4

855. vortex of dissipation Posted: July 25, 2018 at 09:28 PM (#5716019)
If I remember the title correctly, Loveless is one of my all time favorite albums.

Mine, too. When I did the Facebook thing a few weeks ago where you show the covers of your ten favorite albums, it was one that I picked.
   856. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 25, 2018 at 09:33 PM (#5716023)
What kinda audio setups you guys got? I built mine a few years ago, bought everything on closeout or heavy discount. Only purchase that wasn't a 5/5 was the woofer, it's a 10" Pioneer and it sucks. I think it's the housing mostly, too much vibration.

Anyways, I got these floorstanders , a Harman Kardon 1565 amp (hardly ever even turn it up past 1/3 of the way, at 1/2 volume it sounds like a concert in my back office), the 10" pioneer sub, and I finished off the setup with a couple Pinnacle bookshelves.

I spent around $1K total, including shipping and tax and wiring. Probably some of the best money I've ever spent. I use the system daily at my office and the sound quality from a good source is outstanding. I had a 50" TV and a PS4 setup at one point with the HDMI passthrough, that was sweet, but sadly (or not) my business grew to where I had to turn the "lounge" in back into an actual workspace and the TV and couch had to go.
   857. BDC Posted: July 25, 2018 at 10:23 PM (#5716071)
What kinda audio setups you guys got?

I have a boombox c1995 vintage that I kept after my divorce.
   858. PreservedFish Posted: July 25, 2018 at 11:21 PM (#5716099)
My audio setup is in shambles right now. 20 years ago I got some nice speakers and a nice receiver, and I still have them, and they still sound nice, but I've just made the move to 100% digital music, and as of yet my systems are incompatible. So in my entire home I have one tiny portable bluetooth speaker. I haven't sat down to figure out how to fix that yet.

I have a record player too, and a small record collection, but a couple years ago I decided that it was an unjustifiable luxury to keep buying more of them.
   859. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: July 25, 2018 at 11:32 PM (#5716105)

Sennheiser HD 650s with a DAC headphone amp ...
   860. Lassus Posted: July 26, 2018 at 08:07 AM (#5716159)
25 years ago I got some nice speakers and a nice receiver

Word, as the kids say. Now, not so much.
   861. Hysterical & Useless Posted: July 26, 2018 at 08:49 AM (#5716178)
the Napping House

A terrific book, though we didn't think of it when we went to buy books for new grandchild. Pretty sure we still have our copy.
   862. PreservedFish Posted: July 26, 2018 at 09:29 AM (#5716192)
What I'd like is to have multiple wireless speakers connected to a single tablet that plays Spotify. The Sonos system seems too expensive and unreliable. I'm sure there's a better way but I haven't figured it out yet.
   863. JJ1986 Posted: July 26, 2018 at 09:29 AM (#5716194)
On average, auditors said, data operators process 560 documents a day.
I did some consulting work at a DMV central office about 5 years ago (computer upgrades) and they asked me to time myself and see how long a particular project should take. I know for a fact that they recorded a much longer amount of time because they wanted their people to have leeway to take time off while doing the same project.
   864. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 26, 2018 at 01:15 PM (#5716363)
Sennheiser HD 650s with a DAC headphone amp ...

I've never been much of a headphone guy. I have some decent Audio Tecnicas (not their studio ones, the cheaper ones that are like $60) that I put on sometimes when I want to fall asleep to Fennesz or something. But I'm sorta about the "there's no replacement for displacement" and the listening in a room filled with sound experience that the floorstanders give.

What I'd like is to have multiple wireless speakers connected to a single tablet that plays Spotify. The Sonos system seems too expensive and unreliable. I'm sure there's a better way but I haven't figured it out yet.

My experience with Sonos (set a couple systems up for clients) is that when it works, it's awesome. But when it doesn't the troubleshooting is difficult and over the head of most non-techies. I dunno, this is from a couple years ago maybe the new systems are more reliable.
   865. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: July 26, 2018 at 01:15 PM (#5716365)

A Sharp 3-disk changer, a Bose Soundlink bluetooth speaker, and the earbuds that came with my iPhone. I'm 40 years old.

866. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 26, 2018 at 01:18 PM (#5716367)
a Bose Soundlink bluetooth speaker

some of the sound from these Bluetooth speakers is absurd. I just said "there's no replacement for displacement" but the sound from these little units is not at all tinny.
   867. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: July 26, 2018 at 01:31 PM (#5716380)
Yeah, I needed a Bluetooth for podcasts and streaming music, and this Bose unit was well-reviewed at the time (about 4 years ago). It's not great on volume, but the sound profile is pretty good.

I'm halfway through Season 2 of Amazon's "Goliath", and damn if I don't love Billy Bob Thornton's performance. The first season was a slightly trashy legal drama, and Season 2 is basically lawyer vs. cartel. The casting on these shows always tickles me, this show features Mark Duplass, David Cross, Lou Diamond Phillips, and Ben's daughter from "Lost", among others.
   868. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 26, 2018 at 01:54 PM (#5716397)

We're in the process of building a house, and the low voltage guys we are working with are installing this Sonos system now. My brother in law has it as well. His troubleshooting (in the one year he's had it) has been other things related to the system, not so much the music feeds.

I will tell you my favorite thing about it is the multiple receivers/channels, (I watching/listening to X in one room, and my kids are listening to Y in another room). My hard wire system in my house now (circa 2002) doesn't have that much flexibility, only some, not to mention the controls are all mounted into the wall.
   869. Hot Wheeling American Posted: July 26, 2018 at 10:14 PM (#5716640)
@maxsilvestri:
IMPORTANT: Steven Bochco fired the lead actor from MURDER ONE because his morning dump made him an hour late to set every single day. Please RT!
   870. BDC Posted: July 27, 2018 at 08:53 AM (#5716707)
OK, I finally consumed some popular culture instead of the unpopular I usually deal in. Last night, we watched Panic in Year Zero! (1962), starring and directed by Ray Milland. This is one of a limited genre of nuclear-war movies: Milland and family (Jean Hagen, Frankie Avalon, Mary Mitchel) take off on a family-camper road trip north from LA, look back, see a mushroom cloud. What to do? They initially try to return and find Grandma, but soon figure that the best thing is to head for the hills and find a suitable cave to live in for the duration. This turns into a bit of American-Family-Robinson for a while, but it's pretty grim stuff, with killers and rapists marauding the campgrounds of California.

It's a cheap film, quickly made, and ultimately kind of corny. (Not only does mild-mannered suburban Dad turn into Mister Survivalist on a dime, but the film has a now-unnerving faith in the Government and Army and American Values as inevitably stronger than post-nuclear anarchy.) But the picture has a certain style, with real, banal locations that take on sinister overtones because of the situation.

I hadn't realized that Ray Milland, unlike some other major movie stars of his era, moved into television very quickly in the mid-'50s. He did some acting and had his own series for a while, and also directed quite a few hours of General Electric Theater and that kind of thing. Panic in Year Zero! has a TV-play feel to it, and given the production limitations it's very professionally done.

The writers evidently stole the plot idea from a SF writer named Ward Moore, who'd done a couple of stories called "Lot" and "Lot's Daughter" – the moment when the family looks back on Los Angeles, while it doesn't turn anybody into a pillar of salt, is archetypal.
   871. Howie Menckel Posted: July 27, 2018 at 09:03 AM (#5716711)
funny to read about headphones

you will not find a bigger Luddite of tech and music than I - but I just had to order this for work-related purposes:

Logitech USB Headset H570e Stereo

872. McCoy Posted: July 27, 2018 at 09:27 AM (#5716724)
IMPORTANT: Steven Bochco fired the lead actor from MURDER ONE because his morning dump made him an hour late to set every single day. Please RT!

Couldn't they have just started the work day an hour later or couldn't Daniel have woken up an hour earlier? Hell, rent a helicopter.
   873. Wayne Newton's pet monkey (gef, talking mongoose) Posted: July 27, 2018 at 10:00 AM (#5716747)
The writers evidently stole the plot idea from a SF writer named Ward Moore,

Author of one of the great alternate history novels in which the South wins the Civil War -- Bring the Jubilee.
   874. Lassus Posted: July 27, 2018 at 11:41 AM (#5716826)
Gef, has SHAZAM always (ever?) been a kids brain in an adult's body in the comics books, as the current movie trailer has him? I always had the impression his brain got older, too, with those transformations but I'm actually not sure as I was never a real DC or Golden Age authority.
   875. McCoy Posted: July 27, 2018 at 12:28 PM (#5716868)
From the trailers it appears to me that SHAZAM should have been a Fox TV show and not a full blown movie. I guess that speaks to the power Marvel content right now.
   876. Lassus Posted: July 27, 2018 at 01:25 PM (#5716903)
DISNEY/FOX deal done. A proper Doctor Doom and Galactus are on the way.

I mean, a new Wolverine will be interesting, and various other things, but I barely care about the X-Men. I kinda hate what Deadpool did with Colossus, but I don't see that changing any time soon. This one is all about the FF for me.
   877. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 27, 2018 at 02:59 PM (#5716973)
Sue Storm vs Darth Vader!
   878. vortex of dissipation Posted: July 27, 2018 at 03:54 PM (#5717013)
YouTube is live streaming the Fuji Rock Festival, the largest outdoor music festival in Japan, all weekend. The whole thing. There are both Japanese and International acts playing. I saw the last two-thirds of Glim Spanky's set last night, and Straightener. Sakanaction was also on last night, but at 3AM my time, so I didn't see them, although I really like them.
   879. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 27, 2018 at 04:00 PM (#5717017)
It is rather astonishing that they've somehow fucked up the Fantastic Four while doing well by Ant-Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy. (Even though I know it's not the same "they.")
   880. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 27, 2018 at 04:32 PM (#5717046)
Lassus, #874:
Has SHAZAM always (ever?) been a kid's brain in an adult's body in the comics books, as the current movie trailer has him? I always had the impression his brain got older, too, with those transformations but I'm actually not sure as I was never a real DC or Golden Age authority.

The original 1950s version wavered a bit, since Billy Batson was a responsible, adult-ish kind of kid, while Captain Marvel was a naive and goofy Percival Pureheart kind of grown-up. But they were definitely two different people, even though Billy had no trouble remembering what he'd experienced as Captain Marvel. The whole appeal of the character, and the reason Captain Marvel comic books outsold Superman's, was the fun, childlike tone. His second-worst enemy was a literal worm with goggle eyeglasses, and one of his best friends was a talking tiger in a green three-piece suit.

In 1953, Fawcett finally threw in the towel on a long-running infringement suit (DC claiming that he was a ripoff of Superman), and that was the end of those comics.

DC licensed the characters back in the mid-1970s, and tried to replicate that same tone, but it came off a little stiff. The next revival was in the late 1980s, and this is when DC added the "Billy's mind in Cap's body" element, mostly to explain why Captain Marvel's cheerful disposition was so at odds with the anguished Dark Knight/Killing Joke/Crisis on Infinite Earths tone that was being used in so much of DC's output.

Ever since then, Captain Marvel has been all over the map in the modern "ret-ret-ret-ret-retcon" fashion. He's died, he's un-died, he's been evil, he's been eerily mystical, he's been happy-go-lucky, he went back to having two separate personalities, back again to Billy as Captain Marvel, he's Superman's friend and/or rival and/or enemy, he's been whatever they wanted him to be at the time.

Sometime in the last ten years they just up and renamed him "Shazam," mostly because DC has always been unable to use "Captain Marvel" as the title of a comic book or anything else, due to legal entanglements with That Other Company. Marvel trademarked a totally separate character called "Captain Marvel" in the late 60s-- a Kree warrior, I think-- which is what blocked DC's usage rights a few years later. At some point Ms. Marvel (another different character) got a promotion to Captain. And that's why her movie can use the name but DC's can't.

It looks like DC is trying to lean on the fun, charming version, sort of, at least from a character standpoint. That trailer looks a little fish and fowl by committee.
   881. KB JBAR (trhn) Posted: July 27, 2018 at 04:34 PM (#5717050)
Anyways, I got these floorstanders , a Harman Kardon 1565 amp (hardly ever even turn it up past 1/3 of the way, at 1/2 volume it sounds like a concert in my back office), the 10" pioneer sub, and I finished off the setup with a couple Pinnacle bookshelves.

I had those FS52s. Good sounding speakers. I sold them for something a little less utilitarian looking. Now I have an early-2000s stereo Harmon Kardon receiver powering two thrift store Dynaco A-35s. Very tweedy. I'm strongly considering building an A-25 DIY kit since I think speaker technology may have advanced in the last 40 years. As far as inputs, I use Chromecast to stream and an entry-level Pro-Ject turntable. A couple years ago I sold my Technics SL-1500 because it was a pain to deal with. LPs are dumb as a medium of high fidelity. But I spent the 90s at record stores and thrift stores so LPs constitute a significant percentage of my music collection.

As far as wireless speakers, I have an Airport Express into a Denon Heos 3 I got for $50 in the kitchen. It's okay, but it requires a lot of configuring. I'm probably going to replace that speaker with a cheap speaker kit that I'll make powered.
   882. Lassus Posted: July 27, 2018 at 05:07 PM (#5717065)
Gonfalon - Thank you very much. You are a nerd and a gentleman.

a Kree warrior, I think

(Yes, BTW, as a Marvel guy, I can still see the cover in my head.)
   883. Omineca Greg Posted: July 29, 2018 at 08:35 AM (#5717608)
Pop culture I've been doing recently:

Book: Robertson Davies, What's Bred in the Bone. Davies always worked at a high level of quality, and he just nails a specific component of Canadian culture; there's a certain class and era of Canadians that he understands completely. He had an opinion on a wide range of subjects, and never hesitated to share it, I find my enjoyment of his work (as opposed to my admiration of it) depends mostly on the particular topics he's taking on at any individual moment. This is one is about fine art, espionage, and how even if one can never totally escape the pull of our circumstances of birth and our God given attributes, there is a wide range of flexibility on what we take, and what we leave behind, as we navigate our path in life. Excellent book.

Television: Bojack Horseman. This is wonderful. The first few episodes were only OK, but I'm just finishing the first season now, and it's great. I find the characters likeable, which is usually my biggest issue with comedies today. I spend enough time with annoying people in real life, I'll be damned if I look to them for my entertainment. Now, don't get me wrong, Bojack can be a real #######, but I find myself rooting for him despite it all.

Film: Handsome Devil. Irish film about sexual identity at a rugby obsessed boy's school. I quite liked it, despite its flaws. Not really transcending the "coming of age" genre, and heavy handed at times where it would have been better to back off and be more subtle, I forgive all, because there's a couple of things it does right. It manages to be both super gay and accessible to straight viewers at the same time by broadening the themes of both societal and self acceptance in a way that I think most people should be able to relate to. It moves the narrative along at a good clip, which I appreciated. The film caught my attention because I thought that any movie that has both The Housemartins and The Undertones as important elements of the plot should be pretty solid, and my instincts didn't let me down.

Jazz: Kenny Dorham, Jazz Contrasts. Dorham was a hard bop trumpet player, not much known outside of jazz circles, which is too bad. His playing and writing always have a beautiful architecture to them, his solos are thematically based, which I suppose is most player's goal, so it would be better to say they're successfully thematically based, with a beginning, a middle, and (wait for it....), and end. It's his Blue Note work, both as leader and especially as sideman that's best known, this album was done for Orrin Keepnews' (yes, the title of the Bill Evans composition Re: Person I Knew is an anagram of Orrin's name) Riverside label in 1957. The band is awesome (Dorham, tpt. Rollins, ts. Hank Jones, p. Pettiford, b. Roach d.), and if those names mean nothing to do, I feel bad, because those are all extremely talented musicians, each one of them has brought hours of bliss to me, and I don't even want to think of how much worse my life would have been without knowing of them. The "Contrast" in the title comes from the fact that a few of the tracks have a harp on them. The harp isn't used creatively (that's just bait I'm throwing out for all the Alice Coltrane fans around here), but it does add (wait for it...)...contrast. Although this is a very good album, if you haven't listened to Dorham yet and are looking for a place to start, I would suggest Una Mas from 1963, which is more progressive and just a frickin' awesome album.

Country: Willie Nelson, Last Man Standing. Willie's latest. If you hadn't noticed, Willie is old. Although a few of these songs are about mortality, there's also ones that cover all sorts of topics. The band plays really well on this and lifts up the material, some of which is slight. But that's OK, when you're as experienced a songwriter as Willie you know that you don't have to cram too many ideas into any one song, there will always be a next time. I mean in Willie's case, there might not be a next time, but why should Nelson change his m.o. now? This is a nice counterpart to Johnny Cash's last albums; Willie knows he's near the end, and although it inevitably affects his world view, he's keeping his sense of humour about the whole ball of wax that makes up a life. Lots to like here if you're a fan.

Rock: Eggs Over Easy, Good 'N Cheap. From '72, this album is held in high esteem in some quarters. An American band working in London, Eggs Over Easy are always name-checked as being an important progenitor of the pub-rock scene, and apparently Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello, and Graham Parker were all huge fans. To be honest, I think most people would be better off listening to Lowe, Costello, and Parker, but this album does have its good points. Laid back, unpretentious, and immediately accessible, it's easy to understand what people saw in them. The whole thing seems casually tossed off though, which is both charming, but ultimately frustrating. There's nothing wrong with not trying hard if you're awesome, but if you're only good to very good, you should really make sure you're achieving your best at all times. It's interesting to think about, in its own way, music like this was revolutionary, being so out of step with the times, and that an album could be both subversive and effortlessly unambitious at the same time is a neat niche to be in.

I've bored you enough with what I'm up to, let's finish with a song: Eggs Over Easy, The Factory
   884. BDC Posted: July 29, 2018 at 10:34 AM (#5717624)
Robertson Davies, What's Bred in the Bone

I used to read Davies' new novels when he was alive, including this one which I liked very much. I haven't gone back and re-read any since he died, but I am glad to hear they hold up.

Willie knows he's near the end, and although it inevitably affects his world view, he's keeping his sense of humour about the whole ball of wax that makes up a life

As he sang when I saw him a few years ago in Arlington: "The road is getting longer and the weed is getting stronger" :)

We're continuing our tour of nuclear-bomb movies. Last night, Fat Man and Little Boy (Roland Joffé, 1989). This is an odd movie, too long and diffuse, but interesting. It's about the Manhattan Project, with Paul Newman as commanding general Leslie Groves, and Dwight Schultz as J. Robert Oppenheimer. Schultz was between The A-Team and Star Trek TNG, which is pretty much the definition of "career window briefly opening into prestige films and closing again." I wondered what ever happened to Dwight Schultz, and looking him up, it seems he has spent about 20 years doing voice work for animated films and video games. Probably a lucrative career move. Schultz is 70 now. He always looked young for his age, and looks boyish in this film; but at the time of Fat Man he was exactly the age Oppenheimer was at Los Alamos, early 40s.

Roland Joffé was coming off The Killing Fields and The Mission, and was the rising prestige director of the day. Fat Man marked the start of his descent. Joffé did go on to make The Scarlet Letter with Demi Moore, which was at least a noisy flop, but he retreated to smaller projects and TV after that.

The cast is impressive: Bonnie Bedelia, Laura Dern, Natasha Richardson, the young-and-rising John Cusack, plus all kinds of familiar male stalwarts from TV and character roles. Yet they didn't find a center to their story. The technical scientific material is garbled and largely incomprehensible. At first it seems to be a clash of personalities between Groves and Oppenheimer, but they seem to like and respect each other too much for drama to arise (which was probably the case in real life, too). There is a romantic subplot with Oppenheimer and his doomed girlfriend Jean Tatlock (Richardson) that goes nowhere. There is a melodramatic romance featuring Cusack's character and Dern's, which moves like molasses. There is some angst over "what are we doing building a WMD" which features lots of set-piece speeches that nobody probably ever made. There's John C. McGinley and a chimpanzee. As I said, the picture doesn't know where it's going, except towards a mushroom cloud at the end, which is disappointingly corny when it gets there.
   885. Random Transaction Generator Posted: July 29, 2018 at 11:19 AM (#5717635)
I kinda hate what Deadpool did with Colossus

Why? Visually, that's exactly what Colossus should look like.
And his naivete being exploited by Deadpool rings true as well. Colossus (originally) was a big-hearted Russian powerhouse who painted and was protective of all the other X-Men in battle.
   886. Lassus Posted: July 29, 2018 at 11:31 AM (#5717639)
Why? Visually, that's exactly what Colossus should look like.

Well, that's not my main complaint, but it's not actually true either. I hearken less towards the Liefeld versions than how he was for decades prior.

And his naivete being exploited by Deadpool rings true as well. Colossus (originally) was a big-hearted Russian powerhouse who painted and was protective of all the other X-Men in battle.

This is why I hated him in Deadpool. I suppose it's subjective, but mostly I hated him as a doofus foreigner straight man, which he never was in the comics. Again, I get why it was done, but I still hate it, he was one of my favorites.
   887. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 29, 2018 at 08:55 PM (#5717784)
I am getting excited for GenCon (which is totally like Pop culture, right?). I leave Tuesday morning early and am gone for a week. I can't wait.
   888. McCoy Posted: July 29, 2018 at 09:06 PM (#5717790)
Never been but my friends for back in the day. They relayed to me a story of a guy standing up on some table in the middle of the floor and rippingg up a M:TG black lotus because he get the game was going to be a fad. We all thought he was silly to do that because get golly that card was up to costing 60 bucks to get.

I'm surprised tabletop gaming is still going strong. It seems to be all about magic nowadays or at least it looks that way when I go into gaming stores. Do people really travel great distances for settlers of Catan?
   889. Baldrick Posted: July 29, 2018 at 09:48 PM (#5717800)
I am getting excited for GenCon (which is totally like Pop culture, right?). I leave Tuesday morning early and am gone for a week. I can't wait.

Very jealous. My schedule means that GenCon is just never going to be a possibility. But I have very much enjoyed the smaller gaming conventions I have been able to attend. Board game people are weirdos, but in all the best ways.
   890. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 30, 2018 at 01:24 AM (#5717831)

I work in downtown Indy, right off the circle, and I do take in the scene, at least daytime. I don't attend, am not into the material, but it is quite a spectacle in town. I'm heading out of town on Friday, so will probably miss the really big crowds. Have fun.
   891. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 30, 2018 at 07:55 AM (#5717857)
GenCon is fun, and I have been going for over 30 years, every year, so I have a set of people who are long time friends that I only see at GenCon. And Indianapolis is a great location, the people there are very accepting about hosting a massive number of ... ummm ... gamer nerds in their city.
   892. Esmailyn Gonzalez Sr. Posted: July 30, 2018 at 09:51 AM (#5717893)
Television: Bojack Horseman. This is wonderful. The first few episodes were only OK, but I'm just finishing the first season now, and it's great. I find the characters likeable, which is usually my biggest issue with comedies today. I spend enough time with annoying people in real life, I'll be damned if I look to them for my entertainment. Now, don't get me wrong, Bojack can be a real #######, but I find myself rooting for him despite it all.

Strong recommend. Season 2 really hits a peak. Season 4 gets very dark in the BoJack stories, but the Mr. Peanutbutter stories in season 4 are wonderfully absurd.
   893. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 30, 2018 at 10:51 AM (#5717919)
Bojack Horseman is the best ongoing animated series in production right now. It will also be the first Netflix original to go into broadcast syndication, which is notable in itself. The show is actually quite "heavy" for an animated series but I think there's something about having half the cast be anthropomorphic animals that lessens the depressing overtones and keeps it from being a Lars von Trier cartoon.

I love Mr. Peanutbutter because my best friend in Colorado IS Mr. Peanutbutter. Good-looking, happy-go-lucky, completely oblivious to the ways the universe seems to align itself with his wishes despite no effort of his own.
   894. Wayne Newton's pet monkey (gef, talking mongoose) Posted: July 30, 2018 at 11:36 AM (#5717950)
Gef, has SHAZAM always (ever?) been a kids brain in an adult's body in the comics books, as the current movie trailer has him? I always had the impression his brain got older, too, with those transformations but I'm actually not sure as I was never a real DC or Golden Age authority.

Oops -- just saw this. Luckily, Gonfalon addressed the matter much better than I could've done. I read a few issues of the Shazam! comic from the early '70s, as well as a handful of Golden Age reprints in at least one 100-page special & a treasury-sized Limited Collectors' Edition release, but I'm far from an authority on how the character's been presented over the years.
   895. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: July 30, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5718062)
Do modern-day receivers have Bluetooth capacity?
   896. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: July 30, 2018 at 04:01 PM (#5718084)
GenCon is fun, and I have been going for over 30 years, every year, so I have a set of people who are long time friends that I only see at GenCon. And Indianapolis is a great location, the people there are very accepting about hosting a massive number of ... ummm ... gamer nerds in their city.

And here, I thought you were going to be in Indy for some kind of work conference. :-) Right now, weather is showing as 89 and sunny on Sunday. Bring plenty of water with you to Idlewild.
   897. PreservedFish Posted: July 30, 2018 at 04:07 PM (#5718087)
What's GenCon? No, I am not going to google it. We're trying to have a conversation here.
   898. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 30, 2018 at 04:51 PM (#5718113)
Do modern-day receivers have Bluetooth capacity?
I think modern-day hairdryers have Bluetooth capacity, so you'd have to assume so.
   899. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 30, 2018 at 05:01 PM (#5718118)
What's GenCon? No, I am not going to google it. We're trying to have a conversation here.

GenCon is a games convention and it fills Indianapolis. It started out life as a small (essentially) D&D convention started by TSR (the company that "invented" D&D). It was among the first and over the years t has moved around - from random places outside of Milwaukee to Milwaukee and now to Indianapolis - and also been handed off to multiple companies over the years.

It is one of the largest games conventions in the world (depends on how you count some of the European/German and Media conventions as to which is largest) and it is 4 days with many thousands of attendees. You can play almost any kind of game, from card games, to board games, strategy, miniatures, computer, role-playing, interactive and so forth.

I have been going for ... over 30 years (first year it was in Milwaukee, some time in the 80s) and it is fun for me (but it is not for everyone).

We turn it into a road trip, leaving Tuesday morning and driving down (stopping overnight in Champaign IL) and then coming back the Monday afterward.

Don August - looking forward to seeing you Sunday, but no, as a consultant I don't get to travel for work much any more, sadly.
   900. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 30, 2018 at 05:05 PM (#5718121)
stopping overnight in Champaign IL
My hometown! Let me know if you want a recommendation for a restaurant or drinks depending on when you get in.
Page 9 of 10 pages ‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BFFB
for his generous support.