Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza ([most of] March 2019)

Hollywood actresses Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman are among 50 people charged in a $25 million college entrance exam cheating scheme, according to court documents unsealed in Boston on Tuesday.

The alleged scam focused on getting students admitted to elite universities as recruited athletes, regardless of their athletic abilities, and helping potential students cheat on their college exams, according to the indictment.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: March 13, 2019 at 07:47 AM | 478 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 5 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 > 
   301. Baldrick Posted: March 18, 2019 at 06:15 PM (#5823584)
I would much rather drink PBR than most fancy beers. It at least has the virtue of not tasting excessively like beer.
   302. Benji Gil Gamesh VII - The Opt-Out Awakens Posted: March 18, 2019 at 06:39 PM (#5823589)
Huh. Then what should I call the 60 beverages on tap at my local watering hole, approximately 58 of which taste better than Pabst?
The funny (ironic?) thing about this is that any number of people would probably label *you* a hipster simply for frequenting a place with 60 different beers on tap.
   303. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 18, 2019 at 06:46 PM (#5823590)
I've had sips of gin, vodka, bourbon, sake, scotch, various random southeast asian spirits I'll never remember. While they all seemed intense (scotch, gin), and some of them harsh and unpleasant (vodka, tequila), I admit none of them did I ever consider as actively bad as beer. I'm sure it's subjective.

To be fair, except for tequila, those are all much better than beer.

Try a Maker's Mark Manhattan, have it made sweet (closer to 1:1 whiskey:vermouth rather than 2:1). It's like the soda of cocktails.
   304. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 18, 2019 at 06:53 PM (#5823591)
Heh. Trust me, ain’t no hipsters there. It’s in a mainstream-as-it-gets neighborhood, and they hire me to play guitar on Fridays. I play Springsteen, U2, Petty, etc. etc., all with maximum earnestness and sincerity, natch.
   305. PreservedFish Posted: March 18, 2019 at 07:18 PM (#5823596)
I hear you play Matchbox 20 - and no self-respecting man can play that without a sense of irony.
   306. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 18, 2019 at 07:24 PM (#5823597)
Yeah, I don’t particularly respect myself when I’m doing it.
   307. PreservedFish Posted: March 18, 2019 at 07:28 PM (#5823599)
What's the most outre song you've played?
   308. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 18, 2019 at 07:38 PM (#5823600)
Oh, man. Let’s just say I’ve done things I’m not proud of. But at least I didn’t do them on a ukulele.
   309. Omineca Greg Posted: March 18, 2019 at 07:55 PM (#5823603)
While I as at work, I asked some of the younger employees what they thought of hipsters.

I made my query in the most balanced and fair manner possible, so as to get their real opinions, unaffected and unstained by my own opinions, which as their boss, could have possibly influenced their statements in an effort to curry favour.

I said, "What about those ############# smug ####### hipster #######? Don't you want to slap their smug bearded faces, and smash their snobby retro lunch kits with stickers cut out from romance comics from the 60s, which all the while mock your regular, mainstream lunchkit?"

No...I didn't do that.

But they all said this, which I can quote from the previous page, as someone else said it too...

Ironically, the hipster perceives him/herself as the counterpoint to mass-culture and conformity when, in fact the ease with which hipster "culture" can be appropriated, repackaged and marketed makes them the ultimate conformists
   310. Omineca Greg Posted: March 18, 2019 at 08:30 PM (#5823612)
I think Mr Fish, you may be generalising too much your experience with hipsters, you know, from actual hip places, and not understanding my experience with hipsters, young people living in Jerkwater BC, who are trying desperately to escape the drabness and lack of cultural imagination of an industrial city in the middle of nowhere. It's not that I don't sympathise with them, but there's an insecurity there, a neediness to always (every single time) point out to everyone within shouting distance how different they are than everybody else, that is a very specific rejection of the cultural norm. Explicitly...they say so. It's not a live and let live relationship that they seek, they're putting the "counter" in counter-culture. They're not anarchists, they're not out to destroy what's here, but they are trying to distance themselves from it.
   311. PreservedFish Posted: March 18, 2019 at 08:42 PM (#5823614)
I think Mr Fish, you may be generalising too much your experience with hipsters, you know, from actual hip places, and not understanding my experience with hipsters, young people living in Jerkwater BC, who are trying desperately to escape the drabness and lack of cultural imagination of an industrial city in the middle of nowhere.

Certainly, I am quite unfamiliar with what passes for a Jerkwater, BC hipster.
   312. Omineca Greg Posted: March 18, 2019 at 08:50 PM (#5823616)
Greatest song never written about the Omineca...

Common cool, he was a proud young fool in a kick-ass wal-mart tie
Rippin' down the main drag, trippin' on the headlights rollin' by
In the early dawn when the cars were gone, did he hear the master's call?
In the five-and-dime did he wake and find he was only dreamin' after all, 'cause

This is an ordinary town and the prophet stands apart
This is an ordinary town and we brook no wayward heart
Every highway leads you prodigal back home
To the ordinary sidewalks you were born to roam

Rock of ages, love contagious, shine the serpent fire
So sang the sage of sixteen summers in the upstairs choir
So sang the old dog down the street beside his wailing wall
"go home, go home" the mayor cried when jesus came to city hall, 'cause

This is an ordinary town, and the prophet stands alone
This is an ordinary town and we crucify our own
Every highway leads you prodigal again
To the ordinary houses you were brought up in

Raised on hunches and junk food lunches and punch-drunk ballroom steps
You get to believing you're even-steven with the kids at fast track prep
So you dump your bucks on a velvet tux and you run to join the dance
But your holy shows and the romans know you're just a child of
Circumstance, 'cause

This is an ordinary town and the prophet has no face
This is an ordinary town and the seasons run in place
And every highway leads you prodigal and true
To the ordinary angels watchin' over you

Carter/Grammer
   313. Tin Angel Posted: March 18, 2019 at 09:06 PM (#5823618)
This is the only place I even hear the term hipster used anymore. I believe we had this discussion three or four years ago when it was already a completely meaningless term. Some people thought it meant bearded people who dress different from them and like non-mainstream music they've never heard of...which has been a thing for the past 50 years or so. God forbid someone like a band you''ve never heard of, they must be complete snobs to be insulted and derided.
   314. Omineca Greg Posted: March 18, 2019 at 09:55 PM (#5823620)
Anyone seen Saving Mr. Banks?

Actually I came here to talk about the movie I watched last night. You can wait to hear my thoughts on Hall & Oates when my 600 page annotated discography is released. Coming soon!

Just 'cuz Mary Poppins came up, and I'd been meaning to watch it anyway, I went ahead and gave it a go.

Biopic about P.L. Travers, author of Mary Poppins, and Walt Disney's efforts to get her to sign over the rights to produce a movie based on her books.

A strange movie, in that the central conflict is that Travers thinks Disney makes puerile, infantile, superficial crapola, and Walt needs to convince her that he won't ruin her work with his adaption. But this film, "Saving Mr. Banks", is produced by Disney, so how to handle that? You have to make Travers seem over the top, and not credible, but not too over the top and too not credible, or the audience won't empathise with her. Tough line to walk, but they do OK.

Falls prey to the same things that so many biopics do. Various major particulars of the characters get portrayed in glimpses and flashes. "Oh, look, Travers opens her purse and prescription pill bottles and a miniature Buddha fall out...she must be a drug addicted Zen Buddhist!" (Running for the shelter of 居士's little helper...) I mean, she was both those things, but it makes it tiring to watch films when they do that. Blink and you'll miss it, so better not blink.

I don't think people were being reasonable if they expected a warts and all portrayal of Walt Disney in a Disney movie. Come on! It's not too bad, he seems like a regular guy, not a saint. What does get the gauzy haze of hagiography is Southern California in the early Sixties. What a wonderful place, empty streets and cocktail bars and jetliners carrying everybody everywhere back and forth, everything the world could offer just a limo ride away. If you love Disney from that time period, you'll love this too.

Does anybody here love Disney? I don't know, can't tell.

So, I don't know, although I think it's a good topic for a film, that is, whoring your heart and soul and life's creation out because you need the money, in the end Disney doing a movie about how great a Disney movie is...it's just too hard to pull off. They try, they really do, it's not garbage, it's weird though.
   315. PreservedFish Posted: March 19, 2019 at 01:45 PM (#5823774)
The new Weezer single popped up on my Spotify "discover new music" playlist. Rivers Cuomo continues with his now decades-long commitment to lyrics exploring his own bitterness with the depth and polish of a 6th grader's poetry exercise.

"So, here we go
Don't get mad at me, I'm just being honest
I should've lied
Don't get mad at me, I'm just being honest"

Musically, it sounds a lot like what the Strokes and the Killers were doing 12+ years ago when they started incorporating more 80's touches into their sounds.

All of which is to say it's a marked improvement over that disgraceful covers album they released.
   316. JJ1986 Posted: March 19, 2019 at 01:57 PM (#5823775)
Radio stations that I listen to play their version of 'Africa' all the time. It sounds almost the same as the original to me with nothing interesting changed or added.
   317. Nasty Nate Posted: March 19, 2019 at 01:57 PM (#5823776)
I've never been convinced by the "non-conformists are the real conformists" line of thinking.
   318. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: March 19, 2019 at 01:58 PM (#5823777)
I find it remarkable how long Weezer have remained relevant simply as a band people like to complain about.

Has anyone listened to the Karen O/Danger Mouse record? That seems like a potentially interesting pairing. The boss is around today so I haven't had a chance to give it a spin.
   319. Baldrick Posted: March 19, 2019 at 02:11 PM (#5823786)
Has anyone listened to the Karen O/Danger Mouse record? That seems like a potentially interesting pairing. The boss is around today so I haven't had a chance to give it a spin.

It struck me as interesting more than as something that I would actually want to listen to all that much. But there were enough cool little bits that I'll definitely be going back at least a few times. It's definitely an interesting pairing.
   320. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: March 19, 2019 at 02:32 PM (#5823800)
According to AwardsWatch forum members, It Comes At Night director Trey Edward Shults’ follow up Waves with Lucas Hedges and Sterling K Brown is a 3+ hour film allegedly reliant on a constantly-running collection of Kanye West songs tied to the action and dialog.

Who’s in?
   321. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: March 19, 2019 at 02:52 PM (#5823809)
Who’s in?

Not I, good sir.
   322. Lassus Posted: March 19, 2019 at 03:40 PM (#5823826)
I think the covers album is the first time I've ever actually complained about Weezer, so up to that POINT, I would agree with Shooty's take.
   323. jmurph Posted: March 19, 2019 at 03:46 PM (#5823828)
I can't remember the last time I liked a new Weezer song, but the first record gives them a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong leash in my book.
   324. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 19, 2019 at 04:06 PM (#5823839)
I don't think they even make 25-year leashes.
   325. PreservedFish Posted: March 19, 2019 at 04:22 PM (#5823845)
Weezer have remained relevant simply as a band people like to complain about

Guilty. Pretty much the only reason I pay any attention.
   326. jmurph Posted: March 19, 2019 at 04:28 PM (#5823848)

Then what the hell are Neil Young and Bob Dylan dragging around?

*Ducks from late career Dylan and Young stans.*
   327. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 19, 2019 at 04:29 PM (#5823849)
Weezer have remained relevant simply as a band people like to complain about

Guilty. Pretty much the only reason I pay any attention.
And yet you'll go to the mat in defense of hipsters. You contain multitudes.
   328. Nasty Nate Posted: March 19, 2019 at 04:29 PM (#5823850)
Don't throw stones if you are a user of the word "stan"
   329. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 19, 2019 at 04:30 PM (#5823852)
Then what the hell are Neil Young and Bob Dylan dragging around?
Eh, both of them have done some decent work since 1994 (Time Out of Mind was in 1997!!), but point taken.
   330. jmurph Posted: March 19, 2019 at 04:33 PM (#5823854)
Don't throw stones if you are a user of the word "stan"

Ha! I think that was my first time, but it felt good to break the seal. I'm gonna roll it out a lot now, big time "stan" stan.
   331. Nasty Nate Posted: March 19, 2019 at 04:42 PM (#5823860)
Careful, that seems like hipster ironic stan use!
   332. PreservedFish Posted: March 19, 2019 at 05:29 PM (#5823875)
And yet you'll go to the mat in defense of hipsters. You contain multitudes.

Not sure I understand the contradiction to be honest.
   333. vortex of dissipation Posted: March 19, 2019 at 06:02 PM (#5823880)
New music from SCANDAL (the Japanese band of that name). The Japanese band actually got their music blocked outside Japan last year when Patty Smyth renewed her trademark on the band name. That happened just before their US tour, and meant that their music disappeared from platforms such as YouTube, Spotify, and iTunes just as they were playing shows here. Apparently they've come to some sort of agreement, or this wouldn't be available. I'm amazed that a band (or their manager/record label) that had been on a label such as Epic (which is part of the same company that the '80s US band was on) since 2008 had never checked to see if someone else had the worldwide legal rights to the name.
   334. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 19, 2019 at 06:29 PM (#5823886)
Not sure I understand the contradiction to be honest.
Weezer is like patient zero of today's hipsterism. Although there were others, of course, so maybe they're more like founding fathers.
   335. Omineca Greg Posted: March 19, 2019 at 07:04 PM (#5823891)
There's only one original hipster.

Smash his lunch kit!
   336. Lassus Posted: March 19, 2019 at 07:33 PM (#5823894)
I can't remember the last time I liked a new Weezer song, but the first record gives them a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong leash in my book.

Somewhere on this shitty-ass platform on which BTF exists that doesn't allow you to access or really properly search past posts, I wrote a song-by-song review/defense of the Red Album, which was 10 years ago. I haven't listened to much since then, but I'll gladly maintain that album is worth the price of admission.

I feel like I heard some decent things about the White Album, but I'm old and never really bothered to listen to it.
   337. Lassus Posted: March 19, 2019 at 07:37 PM (#5823895)
New music from SCANDAL (the Japanese band of that name).

Great song, thank you -
   338. PreservedFish Posted: March 19, 2019 at 07:42 PM (#5823899)
Never thought of Weezer that way - certainly not by your definition - particularly as the band was once known for their heartfelt and confessional qualities, certainly not hipstery virtues.

I guess the Buddy Holly glasses and general look were sort of hipstery, and their fans trucked in irony. It felt more like a Proud to be Nerdy thing to me. My friend that was the biggest Weezer fan I knew was also a huge They Might Be Giants fan.
   339. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: March 19, 2019 at 07:54 PM (#5823901)
   340. vortex of dissipation Posted: March 19, 2019 at 08:03 PM (#5823902)
Great song, thank you -

You're welcome.
   341. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: March 20, 2019 at 06:43 AM (#5823937)
Eh, both of them have done some decent work since 1994 (Time Out of Mind was in 1997!!), but point taken.

Well I been to London and I been to gay Parie
I followed the river and I got to the sea
I've been down to the bottom of a whirlpool of lies
I ain't lookin' for nothin' in anyone's eyes

Sometimes my burden is more than I can bear
It's not dark yet, but it's getting there
   342. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: March 20, 2019 at 03:14 PM (#5824080)
Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter just confirmed Bill and Ted Face the Music will film this summer

Sean Penn is going to direct himself and daughter Dylan Penn in Flag Day this June. Based on Jennifer Vogel’s 2005 memoir Flim-Flam Man: The True Story Of My Father’s Counterfeit Life
   343. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 20, 2019 at 03:35 PM (#5824084)
Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter just confirmed Bill and Ted Face the Music will film this summer
Subhead: Alex Winter Looking Forward to Moving Out of Apartment Shared with John Oates, Andrew Ridgeley and The Guy From Weird Science Who Wasn't Anthony Michael Hall.
   344. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: March 20, 2019 at 05:02 PM (#5824113)
   345. Omineca Greg Posted: March 20, 2019 at 08:36 PM (#5824155)
Alex Winter Looking Forward to Moving Out of Apartment Shared with John Oates, Andrew Ridgeley and The Guy From Weird Science Who Wasn't Anthony Michael Hall.

Ilan Mitchell-Smith?

BA from UC Davis
MA from Fordham University
Ph.D. from Texas A&M University

I dunno, he seems to have done alright for himself. But I don't really understand the American educational system...are those schools you'd need to bribe yourself into? Or would a sloppy blowjob behind the dean's office get you in? Puttin' the cum in cum laude. I don't know why you'd get extra credit for doing it in the back of a Nissan, but like I said, I don't get your system at all.
   346. Jay Z Posted: March 20, 2019 at 11:51 PM (#5824191)
All of which is to say it's a marked improvement over that disgraceful covers album they released.

Comments like this are why Weezer is great.
   347. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: March 21, 2019 at 06:29 PM (#5824443)
Speculation over the 2019 Cannes lineup
Speaking of Malick (you were!)
Also in the strong possibility column, there’s Terrence Malick’s long-in-the-works Radegund. We hear the movie is not entirely finished but is screening for Cannes.
   348. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: March 21, 2019 at 06:54 PM (#5824450)
What, no complaints about the Woodstock 50 lineup?

“It’ll be an eclectic bill,” festival organizer Michael Lang previously promised Rolling Stone of Woodstock 50. “It’ll be hip-hop and rock and some pop and some of the legacy bands from the original festival … I want it to be multi-generational. Woodstock ’94 was a nice mix of young and old and that’s kind of what we’re going for here.”

The final lineup lives up to Lang’s promise with hip-hop (Jay-Z, Chance the Rapper, Run the Jewels, Common, Earl Sweatshirt, Vince Staples, Princess Nokia), rock (the Raconteurs, Greta Van Fleet, Black Keys, Cage the Elephant, Courtney Barnett, Boygenius, Gary Clark Jr.), pop (Miley Cyrus, Maggie Rogers, Halsey, Janelle Monae) and country (Anderson East, Sturgill Simpson, Margo Price, Brandi Carlile).
   349. cardsfanboy Posted: March 21, 2019 at 07:11 PM (#5824452)
Ironically, the hipster perceives him/herself as the counterpoint to mass-culture and conformity when, in fact the ease with which hipster "culture" can be appropriated, repackaged and marketed makes them the ultimate conformists

When I was a kid,(15-16 years or so old) I used to brag about being a non-conformist... one day in a fight with my sister, she made the argument that by being a strict 'non-conformist' I was the most conformist person she knew because I was being so against conformity, it made me predictable...

It's a point I took to heart even if I think she was over stating the argument(it was a fight after all, and targeting weakness is a trait every good fighter knows.... and heck 30 years later she pointed out that my insistence to not follow the crowd gave her courage to be her own woman so it's not so bad) of course my point is that people trying to argue against something simply to be against it, are just as much mainstream as the people that follow the crowd... if you are an individual, you might like Pabst and yet watch American Idol or whatever it is that you are perceiving... if your tastes can be fairly accurately summed up by someone who has never met you, then you are probably not really an individual in the sense that a hipster wants to be.
   350. cardsfanboy Posted: March 21, 2019 at 07:13 PM (#5824453)
Comments like this are why Weezer is great.

On my radio today, the DJ was talking about going to see Weezer tonight and regretting that he loved their older stuff, but hate their newer stuff to the point he just can't listen to it... and he cannot think of any other band that he has loved in the past that he can say that about.
   351. cardsfanboy Posted: March 21, 2019 at 07:17 PM (#5824455)
Radio stations that I listen to play their version of 'Africa' all the time. It sounds almost the same as the original to me with nothing interesting changed or added.

Exactly.... I do not get the purpose of that cover... Disturb does at least one cover per album, it's a great way to guarantee one song makes it to the rotation, but at the same time, they are all drastically different than the original, honor the original, while doing their own thing... Their version of Sound of Silence is probably the single greatest cover of all time (with apologies to Hendrix Along the Watchtower) but it's not really the same as the original, same with Land of Confusion or Shout or numerous other covers they have done... But Weezer's Africa is almost the exact same song, they didn't change the pace or anything.
   352. Jay Z Posted: March 22, 2019 at 12:03 AM (#5824490)
Exactly.... I do not get the purpose of that cover... Disturb does at least one cover per album, it's a great way to guarantee one song makes it to the rotation, but at the same time, they are all drastically different than the original, honor the original, while doing their own thing... Their version of Sound of Silence is probably the single greatest cover of all time (with apologies to Hendrix Along the Watchtower) but it's not really the same as the original, same with Land of Confusion or Shout or numerous other covers they have done... But Weezer's Africa is almost the exact same song, they didn't change the pace or anything.

The purpose was to draw attention to the band. In that regard it was an enormous success.

I tip my hat to Rivers Cuomo and the direction he has set. Maybe he stumbled into it, I don't know.

It has become almost impossible to draw attention to rock music. He found a way. Releasing material far more frequently than had become the pattern probably helps. Your band could record the best album ever, no one's gonna care. It's a different world.

The point is to get people talking, get people arguing. Cuomo for the win.
   353. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: March 22, 2019 at 07:38 AM (#5824501)
What, no complaints about the Woodstock 50 lineup?

I'd have to care to complain.
   354. Lassus Posted: March 22, 2019 at 07:40 AM (#5824502)
The "non-conformists are really conformists" argument reminds me of all the reverse racism arguments.
   355. PreservedFish Posted: March 22, 2019 at 07:57 AM (#5824504)
The "non-conformists are really conformists" argument reminds me of all the reverse racism arguments.

Agreed, it's basically bullshit.
   356. Omineca Greg Posted: March 22, 2019 at 08:04 AM (#5824506)
You’ve probably seen this effect—perhaps you are a victim of it. You feel alienated from mainstream culture and want to make a statement that you are not part of it. You think about wearing different clothes, experimenting with a new hairstyle, or even trying unconventional makeup and grooming products.

And yet when you finally reveal your new look to the world, it turns out you are not alone—millions of others have made exactly the same choices. Indeed, you all look more or less identical, the exact opposite of the countercultural statement you wanted to achieve.

This is the hipster effect—the counterintuitive phenomenon in which people who oppose mainstream culture all end up looking the same. Similar effects occur among investors and in other areas of the social sciences.

How does this kind of synchronization occur? Is it inevitable in modern society, and are there ways for people to be genuinely different from the masses?

Today we get some answers thanks to the work of Jonathan Touboul at Brandeis University in Massachusetts. Touboul is a mathematician who studies the way the transmission of information through society influences the behavior of people within it. He focuses in particular on a society composed of conformists who copy the majority and anticonformists, or hipsters, who do the opposite.

More at link.

Don't know about the math behind this, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

357. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: March 22, 2019 at 08:06 AM (#5824507)
I basically never change my style and sometimes I find I'm on the cutting edge. Right now I'm norm-core!
   358. PreservedFish Posted: March 22, 2019 at 08:41 AM (#5824509)
This simple model generates some fantastically complex behaviors. In general, Touboul says, the population of hipsters initially act randomly but then undergo a phase transition into a synchronized state.

Duh.

Look, subcultures have to have their own trends to which people conform. A subculture literally requires some stylistic consistency in order to be identifiable. Anti-conformity doesn't mean that you have to have a totally scattershot and purely random sense of style.

Saying that a goth is "the ultimate conformist" because she wears black lipstick, or that a raver kid is the ultimate conformist because of his neon pacifier necklace, is just pure nonsense.
   359. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 22, 2019 at 08:44 AM (#5824510)
I had thought that this discussion was pretty amicable despite the differing viewpoints up until now, but 354-355 are kind of offensive, and certainly devoid of context and history. Grumbling about hipsters is nothing whatsoever like racist MAGA dog whistling.
   360. PreservedFish Posted: March 22, 2019 at 08:48 AM (#5824511)
Apologies, it wasn't intended that way on my part. I stand behind the core idea (that the claim that "anti-conformists are just conformists" is silly) but agree there's no need to link it to racism or reverse racism or whatever. The shape of the argument is similar but the comparison is needlessly inflammatory.
   361. BrianBrianson Posted: March 22, 2019 at 09:04 AM (#5824515)
I had thought that this discussion was pretty amicable despite the differing viewpoints up until now, but 354-355 are kind of offensive, and certainly devoid of context and history. Grumbling about hipsters is nothing whatsoever like racist MAGA dog whistling.

No, this "if you suggest things are alike in one way, you're suggesting they're alike in every way" argument is extremely dumb. It's classic when all you have is a hammer ...
   362. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 22, 2019 at 09:32 AM (#5824521)
Duh.

Look, subcultures have to have their own trends to which people conform. A subculture literally requires some stylistic consistency in order to be identifiable. Anti-conformity doesn't mean that you have to have a totally scattershot and purely random sense of style.

Saying that a goth is "the ultimate conformist" because she wears black lipstick, or that a raver kid is the ultimate conformist because of his neon pacifier necklace, is just pure nonsense.

Basically, everyone is a conformist. They just pick different groups to conform to.

It's likely deeply ingrained because of our pre-history of tribal living. Real non-conformists all died.
   363. Howie Menckel Posted: March 22, 2019 at 09:55 AM (#5824526)
by the time I got to Woodstock

Santana, John Fogerty, Dead & Company and David Crosby are among the acts who will perform at the Woodstock 50 festival taking place this summer. The festival’s lineup was officially announced by organizers this week.

The four are among the several artists who will take part in the 50th anniversary celebration that also performed, in some formation, at the original event in 1969. Other acts returning include Canned Heat, Melanie, Country Joe McDonald and John Sebastian.

Robert Plant and the Sensational Spaceshifters have also been announced as part of the lineup, although Plant and Led Zeppelin were not involved in the original festival. (Zeppelin’s manager Peter Grant famously turned it down because he didn’t want Zeppelin to be part of a multi-act bill).

The 50th anniversary lineup features an eclectic mix of music from hip-hop to indie rock. Other headlining acts include The Killers, Miley Cyrus, The Lumineers, The Raconteurs, Chance The Rapper, The Black Keys, Jay-Z, and Janelle Monae.

[my college classmate runs the bakery at Woodstock and 4 others in the Hudson Valley area. she will do well come August, for sure.]
   364. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 22, 2019 at 10:16 AM (#5824535)
Apologies, it wasn't intended that way on my part. I stand behind the core idea (that the claim that "anti-conformists are just conformists" is silly) but agree there's no need to link it to racism or reverse racism or whatever. The shape of the argument is similar but the comparison is needlessly inflammatory.
Noted and accepted.

No, this "if you suggest things are alike in one way, you're suggesting they're alike in every way" argument is extremely dumb. It's classic when all you have is a hammer ...
If they had specified one particular way in which they thought the two things were alike, you would have a point. But they just made blanket assertions.

Anyway, moving on...
   365. jmurph Posted: March 22, 2019 at 11:07 AM (#5824559)
The new Jenny Lewis record is out today, it should obviously be a national holiday.
   366. Baldrick Posted: March 22, 2019 at 11:13 AM (#5824563)
The new Jenny Lewis record is out today, it should obviously be a national holiday.

I haven't really loved anything from her since More Adventurous, which, as I think about it was released FIFTEEN years ago. Jeez. But I've been digging the few songs that were already out from it, so I'm excited to give it a full listen.

But the album I'm really excited about for today is from Ex Hex. Yeah, rock and roll!
   367. jmurph Posted: March 22, 2019 at 11:28 AM (#5824572)
I haven't really loved anything from her since More Adventurous, which, as I think about it was released FIFTEEN years ago. Jeez. But I've been digging the few songs that were already out from it, so I'm excited to give it a full listen.

Oh man, I think all her solo stuff has been great, particularly The Voyager. But yeah, either way, like you I've liked the first couple of songs from the new one, hopefully it's good throughout. Really strong reviews so far.
   368. Lassus Posted: March 22, 2019 at 11:33 AM (#5824573)
Maybe I shpuld have used the "But see, you atheists believe the same way we do" comparison.
   369. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: March 22, 2019 at 12:08 PM (#5824584)
But the album I'm really excited about for today is from Ex Hex. Yeah, rock and roll!

Read up on this band, going to have to check them out. I didn't think anyone under the age of, oh, 35, actually rocked any longer.

edit: lol, and now looking them up, I see that Mary Timony is older than I am.
   370. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 22, 2019 at 12:15 PM (#5824587)
I didn't think anyone under the age of, oh, 35, actually rocked any longer.

Greta Van Fleet are in their early 20's and have a pretty cool Zeppelin sound going.
   371. Baldrick Posted: March 22, 2019 at 12:20 PM (#5824589)
My favorite rock album of 2019 so far is the self-titled record from Westkust. It's a big, glorious, shoegazy, raucous mess, and I have been listening to it constantly.
   372. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: March 22, 2019 at 12:25 PM (#5824592)
Is it known here that Adam McKay is making a Theranos movie too, with Jennifer Lawrence as Elizabeth Holmes?
   373. jmurph Posted: March 22, 2019 at 12:32 PM (#5824596)
Is it known here that Adam McKay is making a Theranos movie too, with Jennifer Lawrence as Elizabeth Holmes?

I did not know that but I'm now looking forward to it.
   374. vortex of dissipation Posted: March 22, 2019 at 12:33 PM (#5824597)

"Portions for Foxes" from that album is still among my favorite songs of this century. There are a few other tracks of hers that I've liked a lot ("Close Call" from "Under the Blacklight", "Love U Forever" from "The Voyager"), but she seems to be one of those artists who either comes up with songs that I absolutely love, or which don't do anything for me at all. There seems to be little in between. So if there's one or two songs in the former category on the new album (which I haven't yet heard), I'll be happy.
   375. vortex of dissipation Posted: March 22, 2019 at 12:43 PM (#5824602)
"Starlight", a very nice example of driving pop/rock from ELFRIEDE, with a good guitar phrase from Ryo Yamabuki that anchors the song.
   376. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: March 22, 2019 at 01:11 PM (#5824622)
Greta Van Fleet are in their early 20's and have a pretty cool Zeppelin sound going.

Yes. My wife's mom and stepdad know their family, actually. I was not being totally serious before. I will assume the guys in All Them Witches are all under 35, and they are quite rocking at times also. Plus there is always Power Trip
   377. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: March 22, 2019 at 02:38 PM (#5824683)
I will assume the guys in All Them Witches are all under 35, and they are quite rocking at times also.

This cracks me up. I was reading this thread and saw #369 and the first thought that popped into my mind was ... All Them Witches.

I believe this will qualify as rocking ...

Will have to check out Greta Van Fleet.
   378. The Good Face Posted: March 22, 2019 at 02:40 PM (#5824684)
Basically, everyone is a conformist. They just pick different groups to conform to.

Quoting for truth. The number of actual non-conformists is vanishingly small.
   379. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: March 22, 2019 at 02:41 PM (#5824685)

At first glance I read this as "the new JeRRy Lewis record is out today, it should obviously be a national holiday" ... and was very confused.
   380. Lassus Posted: March 22, 2019 at 03:19 PM (#5824702)
You're in France.
   381. Hysterical & Useless Posted: March 22, 2019 at 03:44 PM (#5824711)
Jerry LEE Lewis has been in the news recently, but not in France.
   382. Omineca Greg Posted: March 22, 2019 at 07:00 PM (#5824760)
I stand behind the core idea (that the claim that "anti-conformists are just conformists is silly").

If you go out of your way to conform to a sub-culture that is easily and readily identifiable, then you are not a nonconformist. If your sub-culture then brags about how nonconformist it is, despite being made up of people who are conforming with each other, and how everybody else, except you, and your friends who you totally conform with, is a "crowd follower", that is indeed going to annoy some of the normies.

There are many nonconformist people in the world. As a percentage it is a very small number, but there are billions of people, so in total individuals it's a huge number. With apologies to snapper, nonconformists are made just as much as they are born, so I resist the idea that they have been made extinct in the human population.

It's easy to point out the great nonconformists.

There's one.

It was Frank Zappa who said from the stage...

[FZ:] Thank you, good night... Thank you, if you'll... if you sit down and be quiet, we'll make an attempt to, ah, perform Brown Shoes Don't Make It.
[Man In Uniform:] Back on your seats, come on, we'll help you back to your seats, come on...
[Guy In The Audience:] Take that man out of here! Oh! Go away! Take that uniform off man! Take that bloody uniform before it's ######' too late, man!
[FZ:] Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself.
[Guy In The Audience:]...man!
[FZ:] You'll hurt your throat, stop it!

You see, The Mothers were nonconformists.

But there's a lot of non-arty just regular folks who aren't conformists too. Some old people, they have a near-death experience, they reconsider life, and come back saying, "I've been a good boy all of my life, and what did it get me! Jack ####! So now I'm doing and saying what I want, and if you don't like it you can go #### yourself!". That happens all the time.

Rich people. The ones with \"#### you" money. They can do whatever, they have the freedom to do what they want. Most are conformists. Some are not.

In my experience, there are different kinds of nonconformists.

The ones who know how to conform, but don't because they enjoy doing whatever the #### they want.

The ones who don't even understand the concept. They don't even know what conforming is. Some of these people may have abnormal psychologies.

The ones who intricately understand what it is to conform, and play perverse games with expectations.

You know who I'm talking about.

There's a queercore song that goes, "He thinks he's Oscar Wilde, but he's Paul Lynde".

You can do the same thing with a hipster.

"He thinks he's Salvador Dali, but he's Andy Dick".

Being a nonconformist is actually pretty easy. You just do whatever you want, and don't mind when you're shunned, ostracised and beaten. Anyone can do it. But most people, they don't even think to nonconform, because...why? And the ones who are tempted only fool around with it lightly, because they don't want the inevitable push back they would get.

So it's the hypocrisy that's troubling, that's the thing that my young friends found objectionable. Again, you'll say that hipsters do what they do for fun, and there's no elevation of personal self-worth through an explicit personal rejection of the regular people. And if that's your experience, well, I can't tell you that you're imagining it, but the same holds the other way, I know my experience with hipsters, usually positive, but I've met some real prize winning ########, and while it would be interesting to introduce you to them and you could either say, "Yeah, you're right, what a jerk!" or, "What do you mean, this guy is the cat's meow!", unfortunately that won't be possible. It's quite easy for me to express myself without negating your point of view, if you don't wish to reciprocate...nothing I can do about that.
   383. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: March 22, 2019 at 07:36 PM (#5824762)
I loved the last Ex Hex record but the new one hasn’t grabbed me yet.
   384. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 22, 2019 at 07:42 PM (#5824764)
Can I just say that I ####### love having Omenica Greg on my side on this one? I want to bring him with me next time I go to court.
   385. PreservedFish Posted: March 22, 2019 at 09:29 PM (#5824773)
There's conformity and there's conformity. I could quit my job, leave my family, grow dreadlocks, get my septum pierced, adopt a mangy pit bull, acquire some new clothes from the dumpster outside an army surplus store, and hop a train headed West. I would now be a recognizable and stereotypical gutterpunk, conforming to a fairly tight image, a much tighter image in fact than how I look now, which is fairly "regular guy." So, there's a sense in which I'm becoming increasingly conformist. On the other hand, I don't think my wife, my parents, and my employer would characterize it that way. Maybe it's one of those classic paradoxes - conforming to an anti-conformist standard - but I don't think it's helpful or accurate at all to say that Mainstream Guy and Gutterpunk Guy are equally conformist. I think it's fair to gently mock Gutterpunk Guy for his subculture conformity, but asserting that he's really no different than Mainstream Guy is taking it too far. He hops trains, refuses to work, despises mainstream pop culture. He is different.

And sure, he doesn't even approach a real sui generis individualist like George Clinton or Salvador Dali.

It's quite easy for me to express myself without negating your point of view, if you don't wish to reciprocate...nothing I can do about that.

Oh, come now, I don't think that's fair. I'm always a very charitable and open debater, and if it sounded like I wasn't this time, I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I've certainly never said that hipsters can't be jerks - they're humans, of course they can - what I said is that it's wrong to take hipster fashion as a guarantee of jerkdom, which is Elroy's opinion, that all hipsters can be easily and universally identified as jerks from afar, that their very raison d'etre makes them jerks no matter how nice they may be otherwise.
   386. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 22, 2019 at 09:50 PM (#5824780)
Allow me to clarify before OG goes to town on that ####...I think using ‘jerk’ is the wrong word. Jerk refers to a generally unpleasant personality, and that’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying that hipsters annoy me because they are just as much into the status hierarchy as the people who flaunt their mainstream status, but the hipsters are disingenuous about it. That doesn’t imply that hipsters are always unpleasant in every interaction, nor does it completely track with ‘hipsters are the real conformists.’
   387. PreservedFish Posted: March 22, 2019 at 11:06 PM (#5824786)
Ok. Gotcha.
   388. Baldrick Posted: March 23, 2019 at 11:49 AM (#5824811)
Some people enjoy conforming with the norms of communities so large that they mostly feel invisible--not really a 'community' at all. Other people enjoy conforming with the norms of small, distinct communities who intentionally present themselves as different. These are both types of conformity, absolutely, but there are also huge differences between them. The first is a passive relationship toward community; the second is active.

I would say that it's not unreasonable for the second group to think that the word 'conformity' ought to be applied to the first group--since by conformity they mean unthinking and unconsidered avoidance. In their minds, group affiliations should be driven by intentionality. So they are not 'conforming' (which is passive); they are choosing to adopt certain habits, styles, etc. because they signify a specific and meaningful connection.

Now, there's a different type of person who isn't trying to join in an alternative community but who imagines themself (or, let's be honest, himself) to be genuinely independent, an island of personal taste with no desire to form communal bonds with anyone, and therefore untainted by the expectations of conformity. This isn't particularly realistic, and it's basically certain that if they're trying to TELL you how nonconformist they are, all you'll be able to think about is how indistinguishable they are from the countless other identical people you've met who all said the same thing.
   389. Lassus Posted: March 23, 2019 at 12:46 PM (#5824829)
This question sounds a bit flip but I mean it honestly: If I have a job and mortgage and a car like all you norms but put a massive upside-down pentagram in red lights on my garage during Christmas season, and decorate every surface inch of the inside of a large room in my house with completed jigsaw puzzles, am I a non-conformist? Or just decoratively challenged?

390. Omineca Greg Posted: March 23, 2019 at 01:04 PM (#5824830)
When I went to post this, I saw that Baldrick had already made a similar point, much more succinctly in #388. I'll offer him a Coke, but post it anyway, it treads similar ground, but it's different enough.

I don't think it's helpful or accurate at all to say that Mainstream Guy and Gutterpunk Guy are equally conformist. I think it's fair to gently mock Gutterpunk Guy for his subculture conformity, but asserting that he's really no different than Mainstream Guy is taking it too far. He hops trains, refuses to work, despises mainstream pop culture. He is different.

Well, yes I think that's true...but only to a degree.

This conversation has been interesting, but only in fits and starts. Upon reflection, I think there's a lot of moving parts to it, and using slightly different definitions of the terms we're throwing around leads to a muddled kind of discussion.

Anyway...yeah, some subcultures are different enough from "Mainstream" that to belong to them is in a relative way, nonconforming. Gutter Punks are pretty extreme, so despite your guttery punk alter ego taking in the characteristics hook and line and sinker of the group, the nature of it (opting out of the economy for political reasons is a big, big thing here) is such that I would say, short answer, the Stereotype Gutter Punk is less of a conformist than Mainstream Guy. The long answer however, is more complicated, and I think diminishes the starkness of the difference.

Is Alter Ego Gutter Punk Guy a nonconformist? I still say, "No." He's still taking on well defined characteristics of a group. In a very real way, but a very specific way, he's more of a conformist than Mainstream Guy, assuming Mainstream Guy was one of the mainstream guys who just doesn't think about things like that very much. It's easy to get by on intuition when it comes to fashion. You wear a baseball cap because you like the way it looks and the way it makes you feel. Your spouse tells you that you look good in something. This is one of my beefs with the hipsters, if they're trying really hard to be distinct from mainstream culture, diverging from whatever they consider mainstream to be, yet all converging at a new, yet eerily conforming place, then all that energy they're using on being different is a complete waste of time. At least when it comes to the things they claim are important: originality, personal expression, breaking free from the effect of base commerce on trends. They're trying...and they're failing. Mainstream Guy is barely aware that things like that exist. Hipsters will call that "mindless", but I think that's missing the point. To not give a #### about something isn't to fail at it. It's using your agency as a human being to prioritise what's important to you, and in this case, I think it's pretty sad for another group of people to come along and criticise others for such superficial things. Especially when they do such a botched job of it themselves, despite their best, and in some people's cases, constant efforts.

Gutter Punk Guy makes a much stronger, less ephemeral, criticism of the mainstream. I don't think Gutter Punk Guy is correct, or a very pleasant person (I'm sure some of them are OK, but I think you are beginning to deal with a group of people who simply don't have their #### together and are acting out), but at least they are questioning something more profound to human existence than what music somebody else is enjoying, or the neighbourhood someone else chooses to live in.

And again, that's assuming something about hipsters that's true for some of them, but not true for others, and I have to admit, I don't have a good feel for what the proportions are. There's a woman where I work, she wears her hair a different way every day. She is to hair what Thelonious was to hats. It's an involved thing to pull off; her hair is artificially lightened so it can readily take on any colour, it's the perfect length that it can be worn in both short or long (not really long, it's still basically a short cut, but she's left herself a few options, expanded her palate as it were), with creative use of different hair products, you never know what she's going to look like.

I love it! I never talk to her about because my enjoyment of her hair could possibly creep her out, so I admire from afar. You see, she's not doing it for me, or anyone else, she's doing it for herself, and although probably she'd enjoy the pat on the back, maybe she wouldn't. Now...is she judging everybody who's hair isn't as gloriously awesome as her's? I really really doubt it. But I've known enough hipsters who try so very hard, don't get the reaction they want, so they have to prattle on endlessly about the way they live, and the choices they make. And then you have to factor in that most people have trouble articulating reactionary ideas in a positive way [At the risk of getting political, I'll tread very lightly here, but if more people expressed their political ideas positively, instead of focusing on how ignorant the other side is, it would be a healthier environment].

Look, I will put on the уша́нка and waxed moustache of a hipster, and describe how I feel and what I would wish to accomplish in a positive way. Easy.

When it comes to fashion, music, so many things really, we live in an era with kaleidoscopic choice. Geographically with different world cultures, back through time with historical groups, the easy dissemination of ideas and art through the internet, it's a wonderful time to be alive, assuming you're interested in stuff like that...and I am! Think about anything that binds us together as humanity, there are so many approaches, and I don't want to limit myself to just one. And once you get into it, you begin to notice things about people, little things that you never would have seen before. An individual person is complicated enough, but put people together in groups, and all sorts of fascinating things occur. There's an irony to it, but it's a fun irony, because so many of these small decisions we make have come to produce out sized implications it's hard not to laugh at it all. In a way it's absurd, and to not acknowledge that absurdity would be missing a big part of it, but in a very real way, it's all we have.

Did you know there is a Wikihow on "How to be a Hipster". It is frickin' hilarious. The people who wrote it did a great job, it's pitched perfectly between parody and genuine self-help..."If you would like to seem more educated and elite there is the key phrase 'I liked their first EP, but pretty much after that I never got into them.'"

I gotta remember that!

391. PreservedFish Posted: March 23, 2019 at 10:11 PM (#5824906)
If I have a job and mortgage and a car like all you norms but put a massive upside-down pentagram in red lights on my garage during Christmas season... am I a non-conformist?

I think this makes you the worst of all, an actual conformist that makes one or two conspicuous attempts to unconvincingly announce that deep down under the conformity you're actually a non-conformist. You're like the ex-hippie in the office that embellishes his suit with a Jerry Garcia necktie.
   392. chisoxcollector Posted: March 24, 2019 at 02:43 PM (#5824953)
Just finished watching Once Upon a Time in America for the first time as part of my 2019 Blindspotting project. There is some good stuff in there, but it was a bit dry for me. And long. Very long. I watched the 4+ hour cut.

Watched King of Comedy last week. I had always assumed that was lesser Scorsese. I was wrong. It was very good, with terrific performances from De Niro and Lewis.

I still have 3 more De Niro movies to watch before the calendar turns to April. Al Pacino will be next months focus.
   393. Lassus Posted: March 24, 2019 at 03:26 PM (#5824959)
Doesn't leave a lot of room to maneuver there, PF.
   394. Master of the Horse Posted: March 24, 2019 at 05:03 PM (#5824966)
In important matters Wisco women's hockey team won NCAA championship. #onwisconsinbaby
   395. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: March 24, 2019 at 07:35 PM (#5824982)
Just finished watching Once Upon a Time in America for the first time as part of my 2019 Blindspotting project. There is some good stuff in there, but it was a bit dry for me. And long. Very long. I watched the 4+ hour cut.

There is some very, very good stuff in there, but it is definitely the lesser variant of Leone's Once Upon A Time In(s) ...
   396. chisoxcollector Posted: March 24, 2019 at 07:43 PM (#5824983)
but it is definitely the lesser variant of Leone's Once Upon A Time In(s) ..

I agree 100%. Once Upon a a Time in the West is my all-time favorite Western, so my expectations may have been a bit high going into OUATIA. I was very surprised to find that I actually enjoyed the parts with the kids more than I enjoyed the De Niro stuff. As a coming of age movie it excelled. As a gangster picture it was just okay.
   397. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: March 24, 2019 at 08:19 PM (#5824992)
I agree 100%. Once Upon a a Time in the West is my all-time favorite Western

I'd owe you a drink if we ever met (since it's mine as well), but you brought two too many.

I'll probably let it pass, just make sure you don't wear suspenders *and* a belt ...
   398. PreservedFish Posted: March 24, 2019 at 10:22 PM (#5825013)
Doesn't leave a lot of room to maneuver there, PF.

I was just being silly. Rock on with your pentagram and jigsaw puzzles and mortgage.
   399. Lassus Posted: March 25, 2019 at 05:16 AM (#5825030)
I finished one today.

Puzzle, not mortgage.
   400. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: March 25, 2019 at 10:43 AM (#5825053)
There has been talk in these threads about U2 and REM comedic podcasts as well - they share a host with the Phish pod (Aukerman). For my money, the Phish ones are the best of the three (soon to become four? Springsteen?) both because I enjoy Harris’ goofy energy and because it’s funnier (as a rule) when one host often dislikes the music they’re listening to.

The U2 one is my favorite. The "Stained Glass" episode is my all-time favorite podcast episode.
Page 4 of 5 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BFFB
for his generous support.