Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, November 01, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (November 2019)

What’s in a brand?

That’s the central question that all four of the forthcoming streaming services from media titans Apple, Disney, WarnerMedia and Comcast will be asking themselves in the coming months as they prepare to launch platforms that rival established stalwarts like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and even CBS All Access.

For Disney (Disney+), WarnerMedia (HBO Max) and Comcast (Peacock), that means focusing on corporate synergy from across many of their respective linear networks and spending billions to reclaim their biggest hits that helped to feed the big red beast that is Netflix. Meanwhile, Apple (Apple TV+) will build up its own content library after spending billions on star-studded originals as it eschews the library backbone that many other services are turning to in order to have ample content to draw subscribers.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 01, 2019 at 08:00 AM | 85 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: November 01, 2019 at 02:51 AM (#5897654)
Taken rom late in the previous October Pop Culture thread:
584. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: October 28, 2019 at 01:00 PM (#5895444)
"Scorsese recommends"
585. Howie Menckel Posted: October 28, 2019 at 02:01 PM (#5895469)
if that was supposed to be Albright, it's the wrong link
586. Lassus Posted: October 28, 2019 at 04:13 PM (#5895523)
Your link is bad, and you should feel bad.

Bad luck. This link should be more good, and if not, too bad. The Shangri-La's diagnosed me, and I'm good-bad, but I'm not evil.

"Scorsese recommends"
   2. Baldrick Posted: November 02, 2019 at 01:13 PM (#5898113)
I'm putting together my top songs/albums of the 2010s list right now. Will publish in a couple days. There's a fair bit of niche stuff, but I'm guessing they'll contain more stuff that's pleasing to the room than the Pitchfork lists.

As someone who gets a little OCD about these things, it stresses me out to put the lists out in November, since there are still a couple months left for a great album to be released. But my schedule gets truly nuts in December so it has to be now.
   3. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: November 02, 2019 at 01:25 PM (#5898115)
I saw Ruston Kelly at Thalia Hall last night. Third or fourth time I’ve seen him. If you like Jason Isbell or anyone around that part of the country-rock continuum, you really need to check him out. Great songwriter and his live band kicks ass as well.
   4. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: November 02, 2019 at 06:30 PM (#5898196)
Sci-Fi classics rewatch this week, with the Alien and Blade Runner 4K remasters, and Akira (also set in 2019, which I had forgotten). It was vaguely amusing to see the credits roll for Alien and note that there's about 35 names on it. My wife, it turns out, had been missing a major plot element in Blade Runner all these years - after nearly a decade of marriage, finding a casual but delicate way to mention that the opening crawl contains the element in question is definitely a skill.
   5. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: November 02, 2019 at 07:12 PM (#5898209)
That Deckard's a replicant?
   6. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: November 04, 2019 at 03:52 AM (#5898442)
Something far more fundamental! She hadn't grokked that replicants on Earth are subject to 'retire-on-sight' policing - though presumably tolerated under certain conditions on the off-world colonies - so their fugitive status throughout the movie made a little more sense after she got that. In fairness, Deckard doesn't kill the first one he meets, then is attacked, to varying degrees of the word, by three of the other four before he or someone else kills them. I think he gets the first shot off against Batty, but by that time . . .

Additionally, in the sequel, which she's also seen, replicants are tolerated on Earth under certain conditions too. It's just kind of key to the subtext of the original that the Nexus 6 batch arrive on Earth knowing that being discovered means death, regardless of whether they're breaking into the Tyrell Corp or dancing with a snake.
   7. Lassus Posted: November 04, 2019 at 10:12 AM (#5898467)
Speaking of re-watch, I'm doing the Lord of the Rings extended version, starting last weekend, each Saturday.

The movie having been released two months after 9/11 while living in the city, I teared up at this moment between Frodo and Gandalf, and did again, so many years later, watching.
“I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
   8. Baldrick Posted: November 04, 2019 at 12:52 PM (#5898515)
My top 50 songs of the decade, for those who might be interested.
   9. PreservedFish Posted: November 04, 2019 at 01:16 PM (#5898528)
I strongly preferred Post-Nothing to Celebration Rock. I found the second album kind of simple and too slick, whereas the debut felt raw and innocent but also brave and creative.
   10. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: November 04, 2019 at 01:43 PM (#5898534)
@Ben Broussard Ramjet
Have you watched the "workprint cut"?
   11. Baldrick Posted: November 04, 2019 at 02:12 PM (#5898537)
I strongly preferred Post-Nothing to Celebration Rock. I found the second album kind of simple and too slick, whereas the debut felt raw and innocent but also brave and creative.

They're both great, and it does in some ways characterize the classic debate of rock (Beatles v. Stones, Mick v. Joe, etc.), so it's no surprise that people come down on different sides.
   12. Panik on the streets of Flushing! (Trout! Trout!) Posted: November 04, 2019 at 02:42 PM (#5898543)
My top 50 songs of the decade, for those who might be interested.

Thank you for writing me a new Spotify playlist. I always look forward to your posts about music.
   13. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: November 04, 2019 at 03:41 PM (#5898563)
it does in some ways characterize the classic debate of rock (Beatles v. Stones, Mick v. Joe, etc.)

Can I choose both AND neither?

Or both and neither either?
   14. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: November 04, 2019 at 04:05 PM (#5898568)
Have you watched the "workprint cut"?

I have not! (As far as I know - I've been watching the movie in different forms since my father's VHS copy.) Worthwhile?
   15. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: November 04, 2019 at 04:24 PM (#5898570)
Short version?

They cut almost the entire narration *except* for Batty's death scene.
Deckard (and I can't stress this enough, isn't *explicitly* a *replicant*)
Also, there's some other stuff, but those are the two things I think are game changing ...

16. PreservedFish Posted: November 04, 2019 at 09:05 PM (#5898641)
They're both great, and it does in some ways characterize the classic debate of rock (Beatles v. Stones, Mick v. Joe, etc.), so it's no surprise that people come down on different sides.

What a mature and measured response. Get outta here with that garbage.
   17. PreservedFish Posted: November 04, 2019 at 09:22 PM (#5898643)
My 4-year old son's obsession with mayonnaise continues unabated. Today, for no known reason, and to nobody in particular, I heard him chanting, "Mayonnaise! Mayonnaise! Giant jars of mayonnaise!"

What's funny is that he doesn't eat mayonnaise and in fact is of an ElRoy mind about eggs in general. Absolutely refuses to eat scrambled or fried eggs.
   18. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: November 04, 2019 at 09:28 PM (#5898648)
I have not! (As far as I know - I've been watching the movie in different forms since my father's VHS copy.) Worthwhile?

Yes, but also, you've only likely seen it if you bought the extended box set on DVD or saw it at The Nuart in 1992 ...

I haven't seen it played otherwise.
   19. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: November 04, 2019 at 09:46 PM (#5898649)
The Jack Ryan show is pretty entertaining.
   20. Baldrick Posted: November 04, 2019 at 10:42 PM (#5898659)
My 4-year old son's obsession with mayonnaise continues unabated. Today, for no known reason, and to nobody in particular, I heard him chanting, "Mayonnaise! Mayonnaise! Giant jars of mayonnaise!"

One reason I've always been skeptical about having kids is that they could turn out to be monsters, and then what are you supposed to do.
   21. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: November 04, 2019 at 11:31 PM (#5898662)
and then what are you supposed to do.

I dunno ... the tundra?

Wolves??

A pillow???

Perhaps a wedding?
   22. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: November 05, 2019 at 06:16 AM (#5898681)
Finished Okja last night - a minor success, with some fun moments of comedy and an ending that hit home relatively hard, though admittedly with a nice fat target at which to aim. I also completed another rewatch of Halt and Catch Fire, which started slowly but hit really high gear in the later seasons. The last few episodes are beautifully low-key and contemplative. I do think a moratorium on 'Solisbury Hill' being used on soundtracks might be wise, though.
   23. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: November 05, 2019 at 06:35 AM (#5898683)
I dunno ... the tundra?

Wolves??

A pillow???

Perhaps a wedding?

Or we could go with this ...
   24. vortex of dissipation Posted: November 05, 2019 at 02:51 PM (#5898860)
A deliciously crunchy new song from SCANDAL, “You're the Ultimate Weapon”, that appeared today. Based on just a couple of listens, I love the song (especially the guitar riff at the end of the chorus from Mami, who wrote the music). The lyrics, from drummer Rina, are full of positivity (here’s a translation in part):

“The ultimate weapon is you
Envision the best image
In the end it's you, you, you
The ultimate weapon is you
Do it in a way that resembles no one else
In the end it's you, you - Shoot your hopes free”

The only negative aspect, to me, is the manipulation of Haruna’s voice. I’d rather hear her vocals unadorned. But SCANDAL has been on a great roll with their recent releases since starting their own label, and this one continues the trend.
   25. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: November 05, 2019 at 02:58 PM (#5898871)
What's funny is that he doesn't eat mayonnaise and in fact is of an ElRoy mind about eggs in general. Absolutely refuses to eat scrambled or fried eggs.
The kid can say whatever he wants, then. As long as we can count on him to be righteous in his actions.
   26. RoyalFlush Posted: November 05, 2019 at 03:18 PM (#5898883)
I saw Ruston Kelly at Thalia Hall last night. Third or fourth time I’ve seen him. If you like Jason Isbell or anyone around that part of the country-rock continuum, you really need to check him out. Great songwriter and his live band kicks ass as well.

I like him. Haven't seen him live yet.

Ticketes go on sale this week for the "Good Lookin' Tour" with Sturgill Simpson and Tyler Childers. Mostly large arenas, but some smaller venues too. I picked up tickets for the KC area show this morning. Really looking forward to it.
   27. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: November 05, 2019 at 03:25 PM (#5898884)
I'm going to guess this was discussed in a prior Pop thread, but color me disappointed in Living With Yourself (Netflix). Performances are fine and all, but I think they blew the wad way too fast, and at the expense of a possible story arc with a lot of promise.
   28. Nasty Nate Posted: November 05, 2019 at 03:31 PM (#5898886)
I'm going to guess this was discussed in a prior Pop thread, but color me disappointed in Living With Yourself (Netflix). Performances are fine and all, but I think they blew the wad way too fast, and at the expense of a possible story arc with a lot of promise.
I only watched the first 2 episodes and haven't felt the need to continue on.
   29. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: November 05, 2019 at 03:53 PM (#5898896)
It's an additional 3 hours you can spend posting here or something else. It's like they rented the equipment and editing bays for a limited time and had to bust their ass to get as many episodes shot and cut as possible. Started with a script for 20+ episodes and end up with this.
   30. yo la tengo Posted: November 05, 2019 at 08:41 PM (#5898954)
re #8 - Baldrick

Thanks for sharing not able to spend much time on it now but I had to comment on seeing Alabama Pines on your list. That song is SOOOOOO great. The lyrics break my heart. Isbell is such a talent
   31. yo la tengo Posted: November 05, 2019 at 09:48 PM (#5898973)
Well, whaddya know turns out that I follow you over on twitter baldrick. Over there I am mrdardy

Running comments on your lovely list
I quite like Japandroids but can't quite love them. That being said, The House that Heaven Built is a no doubt classic
I love Emmylou so much by First Aid Kit. Partially rooted in my deep love of Gram Parsons (named my son Gram)
I don't know anything by Grimes and it seems like you are convinced I should change that. Don't know why I don't know her work, just never seemed like 'my kind of music' in some way
Elephant is a heart breakingly good song. I have tix to see Isbell play soon with Josh Ritter opening I am psyched
Love Phoebe Bridgers and Motion Sickness is a great choice by her
Thrilled to see some love for Allo Darlin
I really fell for Camp Cope in the last year
Charlie XCX opened for Taylor Swift when I took my then 9 year old to see Taylor. Boom Clap is pretty awesome, even for this 55 year old
I will be playing your Spotify list in the morning with coffee - thanks so much for sharing
   32. Baldrick Posted: November 05, 2019 at 09:57 PM (#5898975)
I will be playing your Spotify list in the morning with coffee - thanks so much for sharing

Cheers! Glad you're enjoying.

I obviously lose all those songs, so it's nice to hear you like them, too. Grimes is a weird one. A few of her songs are just great pop songs, but a lot of it is weirder and probably an acquired taste at best for lots of folks. It took me awhile to really fall in love with Visions back when it was (IIRC) Pitchfork's #1 album of that year. But eventually I totally came around.

Josh Ritter had several songs that were very close to making the list. I generally don't love his albums all the way through, but he's always good for 2-3 fantastic songs per record. And his new record was backed by Isbell's band, so it makes sense they're touring. "All Some Kind of Dream" just floored me the first time I heard it this spring.
   33. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: November 05, 2019 at 10:03 PM (#5898980)

Well, eggs on their own are disgusting (they're fine in baked goods, and carbonara). Mayo is great though; obviously not on it's own.
   34. jmurph Posted: November 06, 2019 at 09:13 AM (#5899032)
Josh Ritter had several songs that were very close to making the list. I generally don't love his albums all the way through, but he's always good for 2-3 fantastic songs per record.

I feel exactly the same way about Ritter. Kathleen was the first one that stuck out to me way back in 03. Girl in the War is probably my favorite song of his, but I Still Love You (now and then) from the new record is another one that jumped to near the top of my list.
   35. PreservedFish Posted: November 06, 2019 at 09:26 AM (#5899034)
Well, eggs on their own are disgusting (they're fine in baked goods, and carbonara). Mayo is great though; obviously not on it's own.

What about deviled eggs?
   36. jmurph Posted: November 06, 2019 at 10:31 AM (#5899057)
The editors of RogerEbert.com have put out their best films of the 2010s list.
   37. PreservedFish Posted: November 06, 2019 at 10:39 AM (#5899058)
Seems like a fairly conventional list mostly of critically adored non-obscure films, but I have to say that I like almost everything on it that I've seen, and the films I haven't seen are films that I've been intending to watch. My own list would look something like that one.
   38. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: November 06, 2019 at 10:41 AM (#5899059)
What about deviled eggs?

Can't say I've ever had one.
   39. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: November 06, 2019 at 10:45 AM (#5899062)
What about deviled eggs?

Love 'em myself. I'm reminded, though, that out of Christian zeal a local "deli" chain refuses to call them that; I think they've got them as stuffed eggs instead.
   40. PreservedFish Posted: November 06, 2019 at 10:51 AM (#5899065)
Can't say I've ever had one.

Really? Crazy! They are a standby, they show up everywhere. I guess if you're disgusted by eggs on their own though, they're easy to pass on. Few have ever been compelled to eat a deviled egg, it's not like anyone serves them as a main course.
   41. Baldrick Posted: November 06, 2019 at 11:31 AM (#5899089)
Really? Crazy! They are a standby, they show up everywhere. I guess if you're disgusted by eggs on their own though, they're easy to pass on. Few have ever been compelled to eat a deviled egg, it's not like anyone serves them as a main course.

Fun story: When we go on vacation with my in-laws, we divide up into teams and each team is responsible for cooking the meal one night. Me and my wife are vegetarians, and it's been a long, hard struggle for to convince her parents that this is a real thing and we really genuinely can't eat food if they put meat in it. So a few years back, they made paella and 'forgot' to set aside a non-meat portion. And the only other thing was deviled eggs. Fun times!

They're actually very lovely and have finally come around and even embraced it (to the point of letting me do a vegan version of the whole Thanksgiving meal last year, which was enthusiastically consumed). So all's well that ends well. But it was truly horrifying when I realized that literally the only thing I 'could' eat was deviled eggs.
   42. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: November 06, 2019 at 11:36 AM (#5899091)
A week ago I ventured to the meat-&-three that's farthest from the office solely because the menu included deviled eggs. Turns out they didn't have them. The horror!
   43. Lassus Posted: November 06, 2019 at 11:37 AM (#5899092)
I do not consider myself disgusted by eggs, and have eaten many many many many scrambled in my life. Many. And I bake with them.

But deviled, hard-boiled, fried, etc., really do not do it for me, and I haven't eaten those types of eggs.
   44. PreservedFish Posted: November 06, 2019 at 11:50 AM (#5899100)
Well, I think they're great, as are eggs in most forms.
   45. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: November 06, 2019 at 12:01 PM (#5899107)
Not the world's biggest fan of poached, but that's probably because my mom seemed to make them all the time. Perfectly acceptable, though if given a choice I'd go with soft-boiled, scrambled, an omelet, etc.

Also, I guess, shirred, though the recipes I see online don't seem to match what my great-aunt occasionally made when she baked egg in the shell.
   46. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: November 06, 2019 at 12:12 PM (#5899117)
So like I wrote was kind of liking Jack Ryan and then dad said watch Clear and Present Danger and now I see that the series is kind of just an update on the movie. So dad is a ruiner.
   47. Lassus Posted: November 06, 2019 at 12:20 PM (#5899122)
How is it that an update ruins it?
   48. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: November 06, 2019 at 12:25 PM (#5899126)
47--I did not know the storyline. Now I kind of know and can tie different scenes to the movie. Dad also pointed out the eye scene is a ripoff from the original Terminator so this show is coming across as kind of lame at times. At least now. Because dad is a ruiner
   49. vortex of dissipation Posted: November 07, 2019 at 06:55 PM (#5899580)
"Somewhere", by Luby Sparks, in its original form. This song is being re-released as a slowed down, dreamy remix of the track by Robin Guthrie of the Cocteau Twins.
   50. Howie Menckel Posted: November 07, 2019 at 07:29 PM (#5899585)
I do not consider myself disgusted by eggs, and have eaten many many many many scrambled in my life. Many.

But deviled, hard-boiled, fried, etc., really do not do it for me, and I haven't eaten those types of eggs.

+100000

I just had some scrambled yesterday - maybe the first time in 6 months or so, but not because they aren't awesome.
   51. vortex of dissipation Posted: November 07, 2019 at 07:40 PM (#5899587)
"水仙", an outstanding new song from TAWINGS (with vocals in English). Dreamy, hypnotic, and melodic, this one builds up to the chorus, which finally occurs at the half-way point of the song, and it's gorgeous. Nice guitar work, too, on the instrumental break after the chorus. I really like this a lot. They've only been around for a couple of years, with a handful of released songs, but their debut album is promised soon, and I'm looking forward to it.
   52. Swoboda is freedom Posted: November 07, 2019 at 11:02 PM (#5899617)
The editors of RogerEbert.com have put out their best films of the 2010s list.

I really hated Tree of Life. I also thought Boyhood, aside from the gimmick of filming over 10 years, was pretty dull.
   53. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: November 07, 2019 at 11:34 PM (#5899620)
Snapper, you have this unusual habit of being half completely right and half just absolutely, utterly wrong about things :).
   54. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: November 08, 2019 at 08:12 AM (#5899634)
I think that's fairly common, even if I don't get it. My wife is full of those food contradictions. Loves gyros, loves ground lamb, won't touch a lamb chop or leg of lamb. Yogurt, ice cream, yes, cream, whipped cream, milk never. She's one of those texture people.
   55. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: November 08, 2019 at 08:49 AM (#5899641)
Just watched His Master's Voice, an odd little independent, autobiographical film about ventriloquism. Nina Conti - a moderately popular standup comedian/ventriloquist - documents herself at a convention in Kentucky, figuring out if she wants to stay in the profession after the passing of her mentor, Ken Campbell. If you're interested in stand-up comedy as a craft, it's definitely worth a look. I haven't seen any other ventriloquists of note to compare, but Conti gets a lot of mileage out of meta jokes and conceptual work.
   56. jmurph Posted: November 08, 2019 at 09:10 AM (#5899649)
I also thought Boyhood, aside from the gimmick of filming over 10 years, was pretty dull.

Oh I loved Boyhood, definitely one of the best of the decade for me.
   57. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: November 08, 2019 at 11:28 AM (#5899698)
My wife is full of those food contradictions. Loves gyros, loves ground lamb, won't touch a lamb chop or leg of lamb.
Does she refuse to eat meat if it's on the bone? That's definitely a woman thing.
   58. jmurph Posted: November 08, 2019 at 02:05 PM (#5899774)
Fiona Apple's When the Pawn... turns 20 tomorrow, apparently, which makes me an old. But more importantly it's a great, great record- absolutely against all my previous genre leanings it became a favorite of mine when I was 21 (I was a couple years late to it), and I think it really holds up well.
   59. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: November 08, 2019 at 02:31 PM (#5899789)
Does she refuse to eat meat if it's on the bone? That's definitely a woman thing.

Not sure that I'd gender that - I've known lots of dudes that are also that way. (Their loss...)
---
55/BBR: Will check out, thanks. I don't care about ventriloquism, per se, but Conti is interesting (and I can ramble/learn about comedy more generally for ages).
   60. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: November 08, 2019 at 03:20 PM (#5899805)
Not sure that I'd gender that - I've known lots of dudes that are also that way. (Their loss...)
Huh. In my experience it's been 100% gendered. Obviously YMMV.
   61. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: November 08, 2019 at 03:51 PM (#5899812)
Maybe it is the bone, but she does eat bone in pork chops, and occasionally ribs. She always prefers a filet over a strip or ribeye, doesn't like all the marbling (I know, and she knows that's the wrong answer, its the texture.)
   62. Swoboda is freedom Posted: November 08, 2019 at 03:52 PM (#5899813)
Oh I loved Boyhood, definitely one of the best of the decade for me.

I am not a huge Linklater fan. Dazed and Confused was my favorite. I like Before Sunrise, but the rest don't do much for me.
   63. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: November 08, 2019 at 04:46 PM (#5899829)
She always prefers a filet over a strip or ribeye, doesn't like all the marbling
Also very gendered, in my experience. Does she not only cut off any fat, but also refuse to eat at least a half-inch or so of meat adjacent to the fat? That's probably the most frustrating to me.
   64. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: November 08, 2019 at 05:06 PM (#5899834)
Dazed and Confused was my favorite.

Almost certainly, as I've noted before, my favorite comedy of the last 3 decades or so.
   65. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: November 08, 2019 at 09:19 PM (#5899881)
Alright, alright, alright!
   66. chisoxcollector Posted: November 08, 2019 at 10:39 PM (#5899891)
I really hated Tree of Life. I also thought Boyhood, aside from the gimmick of filming over 10 years, was pretty dull.

I also hated Tree of Life, but I adore Boyhood. Richard Linklater has made some mediocre movies, but he has an outstanding peak. The Before Trilogy, Boyhood, and Dazed and Confused are all among my favorite films of all time. Dazed and Confused is one of those rare movies that gets better every single time I watch it. Linklater and Edgar Wright are probably my favorite directors of the last 25 or so years.

It dawned on me a couple of years ago that I’ve become a big Ethan Hawke fan. Early in his career I just wanted to punch him in his stupid face, but he has had a really interesting career. I still can’t believe he didn’t even get a nomination for his astounding performance in First Reformed.
   67. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: November 08, 2019 at 11:00 PM (#5899895)
Yeah, there's a lot of care taken to avoid strips of fat. She's recovering from OCD, I've softened her over the years, at least at home. She's an anesthesiologist so she's got the right idea as far as care, routine and precision, but I swear, the main course dining and lunch is all about utility. I told her she should eat MREs.
   68. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: November 09, 2019 at 01:33 AM (#5899911)
Matthias Karlsson confessed to the Advania heist and was sentenced to two and a half years; his brother, Petur the Polish, received 18 months. Haffi the Pink, Viktor the Cutie,

Iceland's Big BitCoin Heist
   69. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: November 09, 2019 at 01:54 AM (#5899912)
Some of the details in the Vanity Fair article are just so great and quirky, like:

The case might have ended there, an obscure series of crimes in a cold and remote country. But Stefansson’s next step made headlines worldwide: He used a loophole in the law to escape from prison.

In Iceland, it is not a crime to stage a prison break: The law recognizes that inmates, like all human beings, are naturally entitled to freedom, and thus cannot be punished for seeking it. After his arrest, Stefansson was held for three months as a “resident” in an “open” prison in Sogn, where inmates are housed in private rooms with flat-screen TVs and cell phone privileges. On April 16, 2018, a hearing was held to consider a request by prosecutors to extend Stefansson’s detention for another 10 days prior to trial. “The judge made the decision to think the matter over” until the following morning, Stefansson later observed. But “the judge did not extend the custody temporarily.”

The prison staff advised Stefansson that, technically, he was a free man: The order had expired at 4 p.m. and would not be extended until the next day. He signed a declaration saying he “would spend the night in a prison cell while I waited for the judge to rule on the extension of my custody.” Then he climbed out of the window in his room, hitchhiked 65 miles to the airport, and took a flight to Stockholm in the name of “an old friend.” Since Sweden does not require Icelandic travelers to have passports, Stefansson says he “didn’t have to show any IDs, talk to any staff, nothing.”

70. yo la tengo Posted: November 09, 2019 at 09:28 AM (#5899924)
Extraordinary Machine is the only Fiona Apple I am familiar with. Seems like I should change that fact, calling on Spotify to help soon...
   71. Omineca Greg Posted: November 09, 2019 at 01:03 PM (#5900003)
Are you guys still arguing about eggs?

Look, the reason you haven't been able to find a consensus is the same root cause of so many of the world's problems. They come at these some old issues over and over, using the same outmoded, antiquated mindset, when the answer is right there in front of their eyes. And the beauty of it all is that it's not just one solution; it's an entire ethos that acts like a universal panacea to all the disagreements and disputes known to humanity. It renders the irreconcilable compatible and the incompatible reconciled.

When faced with seemingly diametrically opposed points of view, all you have to do is ask yourself one simple question...

What do they do in Estonia?

So...how do they eat eggs in Estonia, you are probably asking. The secret to enjoying eggs, for all those people who don't like them, is a two-step process.

1. You make munavõi.

2. With the munavõi, you make kiluvõileib.

TA-DA!

I know most people have already rushed off to their kitchens screaming with joy, "Jumal tänatud, et ma räägin eesti keelt. Ja tänu jumal, ma tean, et Omineca Greg!". That's OK no need to thank me, bringing Estonian gastronomic secrets to the world...it's what I do. I'm just like Johnny Appleseed, except I don't make you eat some ##### tree fruit. But for the rest of you, here are some further instructions.

"Munavõi" is egg butter. It's like egg salad, but no mayonnaise (see Elroy, we've already met you half-way, see how easy this going to be?). Hard boiled eggs. Butter. Salt. That's it. I'm a purist, so I don't use no stinkin' egg whites, but it's OK if you do. With just yolks the texture is more luxuriant and far easier to blend; I suspect the trend to using the entire egg is at least partially fuelled by electric appliances being able to whip the #### out of it and getting a nice, smooth texture. But it's up to you.

OK, this #### be delicious already. But I know some of you are hard sells. Here's where the kiluvõileib comes in. Kiluvõileib are traditional Estonian sandwiches. There's an infinite number of variations of them, but to be considered a kiluvõileib, it needs to satisfy three necessary components.

1. Bread. That dark rye bread, the stuff with the dense crumb structure...that's all dankly sour. Always has a picture of a super fit Baltic looking chick on the package. Talk about EILTF...Thumbs up!...but enough about me.

2. Eggs. Could be munavõi, but it doesn't have to be. Could be boiled, might be poached. It can even be a quail's egg. But usually it's munavõi, because munavõi tastes so damn good.

3. Kilu

Hmmm. Hmmm. Good. Oily smoked fish, rich buttery eggs, sour tangy rye bread. "Fish and eggs?" you ask. "Kala ja munad", I answer. But there's other stuff you can put on there too. Dill, onions, sour cream, leeks, pickled onions, let your imagination run wild: pickled leeks, kilubutter, green onions, chives, chivebutter, just about anything!

But I'll let this website explain it.

Enjoy!
   72. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: November 09, 2019 at 01:30 PM (#5900010)
55/BBR: Will check out, thanks. I don't care about ventriloquism, per se, but Conti is interesting (and I can ramble/learn about comedy more generally for ages).

Then I should correct myself - it's actually Her Master's Voice, which makes a lot more sense in terms of the subject matter. Sorry about that.
   73. vortex of dissipation Posted: November 09, 2019 at 02:56 PM (#5900042)
"Your Hope", a very nice up-tempo indie rocker from Lucie,Too's upcoming EP. I really enjoyed this band when I saw them play in Vancouver last year.
   74. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: November 11, 2019 at 03:48 AM (#5900287)
This one's only partly OT: The Edge, a recent documentary about the England cricket team, tells the story of their 2009-2013 run where they became the top-ranked team in the world after a long period of mediocrity and/or inconsistency. But then crashed hard. I'm not sure it does a great job for those not familiar with the sport, but it does execute quite a good swerve:

The first part of the documentary covers the rise, and implicitly lauds the new coach for intense, relatively extreme methods to get his team to band together and to root out perceived mental and physical weakness. In the final part, the documentary covers the mental and physical breakdown of many members of the squad after achieving their ultimate goal. It leaves open the question of the cause of this - did the training methods and expectations prove too demanding over the long run? Did the players reach the top spot and then find it underwhelming, with nowhere left to go? Did another team, more hungry and ferocious, just come along at the right time?

Cricket's in an interesting spot in this regard. Unlike baseball, batters in cricket can realistically have more of a mentality that every out is a personal failure. You can, to a certain extent, try to play cricket with gritted teeth. You don't expect to experience walking off the field as a loser 50-60 times a year in even a great season. What's seen as quite a genteel sport still has deliberate targeting of batters' heads as a desirable tactic. And there's not the same kind of structured offseason for the top players as there is in baseball.

Anyway, the documentary is fairly high on talking heads and light on action on the field, but some might be interested in checking it out on Amazon Prime if it's available in your market.
   75. PreservedFish Posted: November 11, 2019 at 08:18 AM (#5900290)
I see a new ad above the BBTF banner today: discount fares for the Macau-to-Hong Kong ferry. Curious.
   76. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: November 11, 2019 at 11:47 AM (#5900331)
I'm getting an "Emergency alerts save lives" ad, from something called the Federation for Internet Alerts. First time I've ever seen an alert advertised.

Eggs are great. I eat them hard boiled most every day. Those of you who haven't eaten many deviled eggs are clearly not Southerners, or at least you didn't grow up in the right sort of society. It's OK, it's not your fault. A good deviled egg is among the best things there is.

I love Linklater for his willingness to try interesting things. Slacker & Boyhood obviously, also Waking Life and the Before trilogy (and the real-time pacing of Before Sunset). Oh yeah, Fast Food Nation, even though it was a failure.

I thought the gimmick of Boyhood made it extremely poignant. It's the first movie I've seen where the passage of time was really and truly the actual subject of a movie.

I've also become an Ethan Hawke fan, despite wanting to strangle him circa Reality Bites.
   77. Omineca Greg Posted: November 11, 2019 at 01:26 PM (#5900360)
I'm getting an ad for Shiftintowinter.ca. It's an initiate to raise awareness of road safety during British Columbian winters. I think by the time you're mature enough to click through on that, you probably already have good Winter roadsense, but it's always good to get a reminder.

I've taken the ferry from 香港 to 澳門. Can't imagine I'll be doing it again soon. [TRIGGER WARNING: POLITICS]. I have so much admiration for the Hong Kong protesters, even with everything happening in the world, it's the most compelling story of the year. 习近平 does not come in peace; he comes to #### you up.

[TRIGGER WARNING: EGGS]. Probably the highlight of Macau was seeing all the PRC tourists laden down with hard currency and gold headed to the East Asian version of Vegas. Crazy. My wife said to me, "Is there a way to invest in this?". "Of course! Las Vegas Sands. LVS." Anyway, that's a story for another time...and besides, stories about investing where it works out great are boring; it's the times that it blows up in your face that make good stories. I've got lots of good stories.

But after that, it's the pasteis de nata, the 葡式蛋撻...the egg yolk custard tarts. Check it out.
   78. Baldrick Posted: November 11, 2019 at 02:00 PM (#5900368)
My top 25 albums of the decade. Obviously covers a lot of the same ground as the songs list, but there are a decent number that aren't duplicative.
   79. mathesond Posted: November 11, 2019 at 02:54 PM (#5900373)
I don't know what my top 25 albums of the decade would look like, but I strongly suspect both Valerie June's and Houndmouth's debut albums would be there. I might also find room for "Screws Get Loose' by Those Darlins. And lest I forget, Dream Wife would definiely make my top 25 shows of the decade, even if I haven't listened to their only album all the way through yet.
   80. Baldrick Posted: November 11, 2019 at 04:08 PM (#5900391)
Valerie June

Not really in my personal wheelhouse, so she didn't come close to making my list, but her stuff is so so good.
   81. mathesond Posted: November 11, 2019 at 04:16 PM (#5900393)
I've been lucky enough to see her twice, the first time was great. She told wonderful stories, and her backing band was talented & tight.
   82. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: November 12, 2019 at 10:29 AM (#5900557)
The Band Perry, a country group made up of three siblings that had a few hits in the early 2010s, came up on my iPod yesterday. I looked them up to see what they were up to, and learned that earlier this year they released a (techno & auto-tune) song rumored to be about Kimberly Perry's divorce from JP Arencibia.
   83. Howie Menckel Posted: November 12, 2019 at 10:36 AM (#5900560)
I'm getting an "Emergency alerts save lives" ad

me too. has to be the default ad for boring people
   84. Lassus Posted: November 12, 2019 at 10:40 AM (#5900562)
#82 - They are related (nieces & nephews?) to a former(?) Primate here.
   85. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: November 12, 2019 at 10:55 AM (#5900568)
Really? That's cool, I dig their two albums.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama
for his generous support.