Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, September 01, 2018

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (September 2018)

The new TV season is upon us.

[H]ere is Deadline’s annual rundown of fall premiere dates for new and returning series. The list covers hundreds of broadcast, cable and streaming shows bowing between September 1 and December 31 and some high-profile one-off programs.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: September 01, 2018 at 12:05 PM | 397 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
   1. vortex of dissipation Posted: September 01, 2018 at 12:23 PM (#5737389)
The one I'm interested in is Doctor Who, and that's listed as TBA.
   2. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: September 01, 2018 at 01:08 PM (#5737398)
Two weeks until new Bojack Horseman.
   3. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 01, 2018 at 01:26 PM (#5737401)
What are YOU doing here?
   4. Greg K Posted: September 01, 2018 at 02:18 PM (#5737404)
Just saw a trailer for a Saoirse Ronan/Margot Robbie Mary Queen of Scots movie...which is dangerously close to being way too far up my alley.

The trailer leans pretty heavily on a "Girls can rule too!" narrative, which is not a great sign. But it's probably the first time I've been excited to see a movie in a long while.
   5. Howie Menckel Posted: September 01, 2018 at 02:22 PM (#5737405)
as long as it's tasteful and necessary to advance the plot, I will have no objection.
   6. BDC Posted: September 01, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5737407)
Chases came up in the last thread, and I realized that the two items of medieval Irish literature I'm reading with my class this semester both involve chases: the Táin Bó Cúailnge and the Pursuit of Diarmuid and Gráinne (that one's got the chase right in the title). In the former two armies chase each other across Ireland to get a bull and get it back again, and in the latter royal retainers chase the king's fiancée, who has run away with a likely lad.

Anyway, it's a primal motif. The climax of the Iliad is a chase scene, Achilles running down Hector. Races, and hunts as "the chase," are also ancient favorites, as in the stories about Atalanta in Ovid's Metamorphoses.
   7. Man o' Schwar Posted: September 01, 2018 at 02:37 PM (#5737408)
Wow, so much stuff that I'll never, ever, ever watch. So many channels with time to fill.

It's fun to look through and think "what's the worst thing on this list?". I might nominate The Hunt for the Trump Tapes with Tom Arnold (Viceland, new docuseries). More Trump nonsense, hosted by Tom Arnold (certainly not an accidental choice, I'm sure).

Speaking of Tom Arnold, I missed that ABC greenlit the Roseanne spin-off without Roseanne. I knew there was talk of that. It couldn't have worked out better for the show - at the end of last season, she was planning to go into surgery, so there's a ready-made way to kill her off without missing a beat storyline-wise. But I'll watch anything with John Goodman in it, even if without Roseanne the show feels a bit out of its element.

And speaking of controversy, I see a premiere date for Season 6 (and the last) of House of Cards. I look forward to tons of "girls can rule too!" narrative on this one as well, despite the fact that Robin Wright's character has been an unmitigated disaster in everything she's been given to do in the show's universe. Frank Underwood's career would have been so much better off if she had been hit by a car while out jogging during season 1.

At least the new Norm MacDonald talk show should be good. If you didn't read his book last year, find it - it's brilliant.
   8. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 01, 2018 at 03:20 PM (#5737418)
New Glen Cook Black Company novel comes out on the 11th!

Wooo!
   9. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 01, 2018 at 06:34 PM (#5737459)
Morty C, #1202:
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is two-hours-plus-another-hour. Or another hour and fifteen minutes if you include the overture, intermission and exit music. It's easily the longest comedy that's funny. (That I know of.)

I believe the only version that was authorized by Kramer was the 154-minute version. Still, that's two and a half hours. I've seen Mad World numerous times, but not in the last couple of years. I don't know if I've seen that super long version, at least not often. It wasn't obtainable until recently, right?

The mad mad internet says that Kramer envisioned a 197-minute movie, and that the premiere was 192 minutes. I've seen extensive, thorough accounts about the editing discrepancies and the production, but I have a bad, bad, bad, bad memory of the details. I know that the process was fluid and frantic enough that the opening credits accidentally list an actor who'd been entirely edited out. Some of the comedians in the movie, like Buster Keaton and Don Knotts, had their screen time cut. Apparently, an entire musical dance number from the premiere was also snipped and lost.

"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" also played a role in restoring the great cartoonist/illustrator Jack Davis to MAD Magazine and vice versa. EC Comics powerhouse Davis was one of the original contributors in issue #1, but left along with creator/editor Harvey Kurtzman and Will Elder after Kurtzman's rejected ultimatum to publisher Bill Gaines. Davis spent eight years apart from MAD. One of the key moments in Davis' professional career was landing the job illustrating "Mad Mad World"s iconically crowded and frantic poster art and print advertising campaign; its ubiquity and success launched Davis into the upper echelon of commercial illustration, and by the mid-1970s he was reportedly the highest-paid person in that industry. It also inspired MAD to reach out to Davis to see whether he would agree to draw the cover of one of their paperback collections, titled "It's a World, World, World, World MAD." Davis did, parodying his own movie design. And that one paperback gig led to a reconciliation, and an unbroken thirty-year stretch of Jack Davis artwork in the magazine.
   10. Howie Menckel Posted: September 01, 2018 at 07:51 PM (#5737486)
Mad Mad World is the first movie I remember seeing "at the cinema."

my father was a very quiet, stoic, grew-up-in-The-Depression, fought-in-WWII etc kind of guy.

but at movies like that, he'd be among the loudest guffaws in the theater. anything with Lemmon and Matthau was catnip for him, too.
   11. Man o' Schwar Posted: September 01, 2018 at 08:39 PM (#5737504)
I thought they restored the original Mad Mad Mad Mad World to availability on laserdisc back in the day. I think I've seen the super long version, though I'm not sure I could identify what's different between the two without really sitting down and watching the shorter one again.

One of my favorite movies, though I think the ending falls short. Everything from the opening chase to the arrival at the big W is gold.
   12. Lassus Posted: September 01, 2018 at 08:45 PM (#5737507)
I saw it on TV when I was about 8. That's it, never since. I remember it being totally batshit.
   13. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 01, 2018 at 09:17 PM (#5737520)

I saw it on TV when I was about 8. That's it, never since. I remember it being totally batshit.

It's also the film that opened the original Cinerama Dome in LA ...
   14. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 01, 2018 at 09:40 PM (#5737527)

Speaking of Tom Arnold, I missed that ABC greenlit the Roseanne spin-off without Roseanne. I knew there was talk of that. It couldn't have worked out better for the show - at the end of last season, she was planning to go into surgery, so there's a ready-made way to kill her off without missing a beat storyline-wise.

Heh—creates an interesting parallel to the original, 1990s Roseanne, which ended with them killing the John Goodman character (only for that to be retconned in the 2017 reboot—“I’m not dead! Why does everyone keep saying that?”)

6–“Class”: Is this a book club, or are you a teacher/professor, or are you a student?
   15. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 01, 2018 at 09:45 PM (#5737534)
(I just signed up for a book club (ok, it’s actually a Bible study group, you caught me) for the first time. I’m a littttte hesitant. I’m much dumber in person than I am online, and I’m really really dumb online.)
   16. BDC Posted: September 01, 2018 at 09:49 PM (#5737536)
Davo, I teach college English. My class this semester is Irish literature.
   17. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 01, 2018 at 10:04 PM (#5737544)
I don’t really watch tv, but, a few new shows from that list that seemed interesting:

* Kidding (Showtime, new comedy series) — Created by Michel Gondry, and starring Jim Carrey and Catherine Keener.

* Maniac (Netflix, new dark comedy series) - Emma Stone and Jonah Hill, created by Cary Fukunaga

* Camping (HBO, new comedy series) - Lena Dunham’s followup to Girls

* The Umbrella Academy (Netflix, new drama series) - I remember really liking the comic book

* Origin (YouTube, new drama series) - Paul W.S. Anderson is directing the first few episodes, I’m a huge fan of his.
   18. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 02, 2018 at 12:07 AM (#5737567)
What happened to youuuu?

We fell into yellow.

I don't go a month without saying that line
   19. RMc Has Bizarre Ideas to Fix Baseball Posted: September 02, 2018 at 06:23 PM (#5737772)
Wow, so much stuff that I'll never, ever, ever watch. So many channels with time to fill.

Is it fair to saw that right now is the Golden Age of Television, because of so many good shows? Or are there so many good shows because there are now dozens of content providers/networks, and in all that there had to be SOMETHING that was good, especially since these networks don't have the same restrictions that were placed on the Big Three back in the day?
   20. Greg K Posted: September 02, 2018 at 06:36 PM (#5737778)
Is it fair to saw that right now is the Golden Age of Television, because of so many good shows? Or are there so many good shows because there are now dozens of content providers/networks, and in all that there had to be SOMETHING that was good, especially since these networks don't have the same restrictions that were placed on the Big Three back in the day?

I think you can have it both ways. It is the golden age of television because that structural context has created the opportunity.

It's sort of like saying, is the US better at baseball than Latvia? Or is it just that the US has more ballparks, and youth teams, and training facilities?
   21. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 02, 2018 at 07:00 PM (#5737781)
Whenever I come across a reference to an interesting book, I’ll put a Hold Request for it with the library, and then once the book arrives they’ll send me an email so I can pick it up. I’m a slow reader, so I often stagger my requests—that is, put in my request with a note saying “wait a month before you process this!”

What it means is that every once in a while a book will show up and enough time will have passed that I’ll have forgotten what it ever was about the book that put it on my radar.

...This just happened with the book I just finished: Arslan, by M.J. Engh. I don’t like science-fiction, I don’t like military novels, I don’t read much recent fiction and I’ve never heard of the author....so, naturally, the book turns out to be a military/strategy, science-fiction(ish?) novel from the 1980s.

I kinda wish now I could go back in time to ~3 months ago, to remember why in the world I thought I was gonna be interested in that.
   22. cardsfanboy Posted: September 02, 2018 at 07:08 PM (#5737783)
Whenever I come across a reference to an interesting book, I’ll put a Hold Request for it with the library, and then once the book arrives they’ll send me an email so I can pick it up. I’m a slow reader, so I often stagger my requests—that is, put in my request with a note saying “wait a month before you process this!”

I get the appeal of a physical book, but if you have a kindle or even a computer, you can hold and read books from the library on them without ever having to go in there.
   23. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 02, 2018 at 07:20 PM (#5737788)
I unfortunately have a really hard time reading on digital devices. (Or, to be more accurate: on comprehending what I read on digital devices.) I got a Kindle several years ago but never got much use out of it, for that reason.
   24. cardsfanboy Posted: September 02, 2018 at 07:21 PM (#5737789)

I think we are about to hit the golden age of television, and that there was a lead up to it of quality tv that could be mistaken for the golden age, but it was missing a couple of things that now seems to be something that is happening.

With streaming services like Netflix, the seasonal format of locking in shows to 22 or so episodes is now thrown out the window(BBC had already done this) and now we are starting to see the concept of locking in each episode into a set length of time, being pushed. When the creators can do whatever they want including controlling the length of season and having variable episode length, then you are going to get an overall better product among the best product out there.

Already the major networks have altered the length of their seasonal schedules, which allows them to attract bigger names, who still plan on doing other work. I mean if you are a big name actor, and are asked to appear in a 13 episodes show as a star, which is a damn good paycheck, it still gives you plenty of time to do other stuff, while the 24 episode season left the actor only about 2 1/2 months to work outside of the show.
   25. McCoy Posted: September 02, 2018 at 07:30 PM (#5737791)
Most of the one hour dramas of the last 15 odd years have been of the 13 episode variety. The Shield, Mad Men, and rescue me are quick examples that come to mind from many years ago.

The only ones that stuck to the 20+ plu episide seasons were the networks and the networks preferred stand alone episodes rather than serial seasons.
   26. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 02, 2018 at 07:32 PM (#5737792)

* The Umbrella Academy (Netflix, new drama series) - I remember really liking the comic book

Interesting. Yeah -- solid comic.
   27. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 02, 2018 at 07:34 PM (#5737793)
I unfortunately have a really hard time reading on digital devices. (Or, to be more accurate: on comprehending what I read on digital devices.) I got a Kindle several years ago but never got much use out of it, for that reason.

Last week at work I printed out a 300ish-page novel I'd inadvertently bought the electronic version of on eBay.
   28. Omineca Greg Posted: September 02, 2018 at 07:35 PM (#5737794)
I get the appeal of a physical book, but if you have a kindle or even a computer, you can hold and read books from the library on them without ever having to go in there.

I do it like Davo. It's like shopping online, except you don't have to pay anything once you decide what book to get. Oh, and you have to go get the books once they're ready for you, but it's only 5 minutes away, so no bigs.
   29. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 02, 2018 at 07:36 PM (#5737795)
Most of the one hour dramas of the last 15 odd years have been of the 13 episode variety. The Shield, Mad Men, and rescue me are quick examples that come to mind from many years ago.

OTTOMH, I think the last 3 series I've watched have been 10 episodes -- new X-Files, Man in the High Castle & Stranger Things. Not positive about that & also too lazy to look, especially since I'm engaged in guarding my Gen. Tso's Tofu from a 4-month-old cat.
   30. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 02, 2018 at 07:43 PM (#5737798)
28- Another advantage is if you’re both really hip and really clever (and I am both), you can call your library the communist bookstore.
   31. Omineca Greg Posted: September 02, 2018 at 07:48 PM (#5737800)
нет бесплатного обеда, товарищ!
   32. Greg K Posted: September 02, 2018 at 08:01 PM (#5737805)
My girlfriend works for the public library. So she hooks me up with free books all the time!

I just have to get them back to her within two weeks.
   33. Omineca Greg Posted: September 02, 2018 at 08:32 PM (#5737811)
"Young Adult Friction"

Between the stacks in the library
Not like anyone stopped to see
We came, they went, our bodies spent
Among the dust and the microfiche

Dark winters wear you down
Up again to see the dawn
In your worn sweatshirt and your mother's old skirt
It's enough to turn my studies down

Now that you feel
You say it's not real
Now that you feel
You say it's not real

I never thought I would come of age
Let alone on a moldy page
You put your back to the spines and you said it was fine
If there's nothing really left to say

You're taking toffee with your Vicodin
Something sweet to forget about him
If you go your own way, I can go my own way
And we'll never speak of it again

Now that you feel
You say it's not real
Now that you feel
You say it's not real

Don’t check me out, don't check me out
Don't check me out
Don't check me out

Don't check me out
Don't check me out

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
   34. Lassus Posted: September 03, 2018 at 12:37 AM (#5737845)
Speaking of the golden age of unpopular culture, I just picked up the Complete Concrete 1-10 original series trade paperback this weekend. Chadwick has had a rather odd career. I wonder if he thinks so or if it just looks that way from the outside?
   35. vortex of dissipation Posted: September 03, 2018 at 04:18 AM (#5737861)
Whenever I come across a reference to an interesting book, I’ll put a Hold Request for it with the library, and then once the book arrives they’ll send me an email so I can pick it up.

This is such a huge part of my life that I sometimes forget that not everyone does it. I belong to three local library systems, so I go through a huge amount of books, CDs, and DVDs. Currently, between the three systems, I have 48 items checked out, and 67 on hold. I often use the interlibrary loan service to get books, mainly aviation history books, that none of the local systems own. All three library systems also subscribe to Freegal, which is a digital music service done by Sony, which allows library patrons to download a certain amount (3 to 5) of songs each week for free - you can keep them; unlike checking out an e-book, you don't have to give them back. It's a great service.
   36. manchestermets Posted: September 03, 2018 at 05:11 AM (#5737863)
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart

One of the most disappointing bands I've ever seen live. I love the first album, but when I saw them in London not long after its release there was absolutely nothing I couldn't have got from just playing the CD. Virtually no audience interaction and nothing but a note for note rendition of the songs. Meh.
   37. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: September 03, 2018 at 05:28 AM (#5737864)
'John Carter' and 'Free Fire' over the weekend. 'John Carter' remains a mess - far too slow, somewhat in love with its own lore and world-building, and thoroughly wastes some great supporting actors. You've got Mark Strong, Willem Dafoe, James Purefoy, and Ciarán Hinds, and this is the best you can do? Feels like an 'Avatar'-inspired direct-to-DVD effort that accidentally found $250m lying around. Cool dog-thing, though. 'Free Fire' was also a let down, with just very little happening apart from the promised and delivered feature-length shootout in a warehouse. I mean, Sharlto Copley is fun to watch at times, but at least 'High Rise' was having fun with directing choices. Double-meh.
   38. Lassus Posted: September 03, 2018 at 05:59 AM (#5737865)
We loved John Carter in the theater. I've alway been on the "promotion error" side of that failure.
   39. Morty Causa Posted: September 03, 2018 at 12:44 PM (#5737922)
The mad mad internet says that Kramer envisioned a 197-minute movie, and that the premiere was 192 minutes. I've seen extensive, thorough accounts about the editing discrepancies and the production, but I have a bad, bad, bad, bad memory of the details. I know that the process was fluid and frantic enough that the opening credits accidentally list an actor who'd been entirely edited out. Some of the comedians in the movie, like Buster Keaton and Don Knotts, had their screen time cut. Apparently, an entire musical dance number from the premiere was also snipped and lost.

Okay. There's some stuff on this on the IMDB site of the movie, but, of course, being IMDB you need to watch it. Still, it's informative. As are your comments here. Mad World is one of my favorite movies, but I've read little of the behind the scenes stuff seems to be about how difficult it was to keep the comics corraled on the set, what with them all trying to out-do and one-up each other. And the crazy dangerous stunt driving anecdotes.

Most of the guys are given just enough for them to make a mark, to do their shtick. Berle and Caesar particularly stand out. Although I have to admit, Tracey is used effectively. He has the savvy gravitas to hold the thing together. Probably the Stanley Kramer-directed movie I like best. And it's quite atypical of him. They give their characters a little bit more than just comic gags. Berle's at moments seems all too human in its sad patheticness. Dick Shawn is the funniest, most manic, I think, and he was hardly a legend at the time to most moviegoers. Probably wasn't even noted to most of us who knew these guys from TV and old movies. When it came out, I was 15 and I didn't know who he was.
   40. Omineca Greg Posted: September 03, 2018 at 01:14 PM (#5737926)
One of the most disappointing bands I've ever seen live.

Yeah, I went with them because I don't know any Jo Stafford songs about ####### in the library...

Well...besides this one.
   41. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 03, 2018 at 06:56 PM (#5738040)
I saw a copy of Steinbeck’s In Dubious Battle at the library with the “Now a Major Motion Picture” stamp on it.

I had never heard of it, even though it came out last year.

This is perhaps because it’s one of the twenty-two feature-length films James Franco has directed! (19 in just the last 8 years!)

The guy, he.....he liked to work.
   42. Lassus Posted: September 03, 2018 at 07:11 PM (#5738046)
I had never heard of it, even though it came out last year.

Likewise. Amazing cast, uniformly bad reviews, 32% critic score, 37% audience score RT.
   43. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 03, 2018 at 08:31 PM (#5738066)
Second week in a row I’m forced to attend my least favorite theater in the Twin Cities just because it’s the only one playing the movie I wanna see. Was SUPPORT THE GIRLS last weekend; Josephine Decker’s MADELINE’S MADELINE tonight.

I just rewatched her first two features (BUTTER ON THE LATCH and THOU WAST MILD AND LOVELY) to prepare. This woman is *bursting* with ideas—every element of the filmmaking process feels like she said “Yeah, but what if we tried it like *this* instead?”

They threw a bit more money her way this time around (THOU WAST MILD AND LOVELY had a $15,000 budget that was raised through Kickstarter), so...I’m excited to see what she can do with it!
   44. Lassus Posted: September 03, 2018 at 10:00 PM (#5738087)
I'm watching the first episode of HBO's SHARP OBJECTS. It seems to be trying very hard.
   45. Morty Causa Posted: September 04, 2018 at 07:04 AM (#5738115)
Yeah, I went with them because I don't know any Jo Stafford songs about ####### in the library...

Well...besides this one.

Great vocal performance. The precise phrasing is something. One of my favorite of hers.
   46. PreservedFish Posted: September 04, 2018 at 08:48 AM (#5738131)
It's tough to tell if James Franco is a pretentious ######### or an honestly eager artist. He's directed two Faulkners, one Cormac McCarthy, a Steinbeck, next a movie about Bukowski. I listened to his interview with Marc Maron and he's aware of his reputation. The part where he explains about his dalliance with General Hospital - he was a guest star for a month or two - was particularly entertaining and made him sound really likable, and up for anything.
   47. PreservedFish Posted: September 04, 2018 at 08:49 AM (#5738132)
Josephine Decker

I looked through some reviews of her first two movies, am intrigued. Not easy to do experimental + entertaining, sounds like she mostly pulls it off.
   48. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 04, 2018 at 09:53 AM (#5738146)
47- Ignore the people who compare her to Ingmar Bergman. It’s just because in one of Decker’s movies a woman eats a frog.

MADELINE’S MADELINE is....I don’t think I’ve ever seen a movie like it before. I honestly can’t think of a single thing to compare it to; it exists entirely on its own plane, beyond reference point.
   49. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: September 04, 2018 at 10:07 AM (#5738156)
"Better Call Saul" has inched closer and closer to "Breaking Bad" this season; last night featured a scene set in the BB timeline rather than the prequel timeframe. That's fine and thrilling as it goes, but I thought BCS was an excellent show in its own right without the increased focus on Gus and the Salamancas.
   50. Lassus Posted: September 04, 2018 at 10:13 AM (#5738159)
How the hell does Better Call Saul NOT leap forward OVER the Breaking Bad timeline? Unless it just does entire seasons now set during? I never watched Breaking Bad past (or into?) like the third season, was Saul a secondary enough character to shoehorn his own full season in at the same time as the events of Breaking Bad?
   51. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: September 04, 2018 at 11:20 AM (#5738193)
There are a lot of theories about that. "Better Call Saul" is a pretty slow-moving show, but as of last night is still set a couple of years before "Breaking Bad", with the exception of a few teasers that are set post-BB.

When/if the show keeps going, the writers may overlap with "Breaking Bad" events (showing them from Saul's point-of-view), or even leap further forward to show Saul's life post-BB.

52. Lassus Posted: September 04, 2018 at 11:27 AM (#5738200)
last night featured a scene set in the BB timeline rather than the prequel timeframe.

I may have misread this - I thought the show had maybe caught up to the first episode of the 1st season, rather than the season 2 episode 8 premiere of Saul himself? If it was literally just a flash forward, there would be more time than I thought.
   53. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 04, 2018 at 12:06 PM (#5738227)
It's tough to tell if James Franco is a pretentious ######### or an honestly eager artist.
The answer is yes.
   54. Man o' Schwar Posted: September 04, 2018 at 12:43 PM (#5738258)
It's tough to tell if James Franco is a pretentious ######### or an honestly eager artist. He's directed two Faulkners, one Cormac McCarthy, a Steinbeck, next a movie about Bukowski. I listened to his interview with Marc Maron and he's aware of his reputation. The part where he explains about his dalliance with General Hospital - he was a guest star for a month or two - was particularly entertaining and made him sound really likable, and up for anything.

I tend to vote for likable and up for anything. It's like Will Ferrell and Kristin Wiig doing a Lifetime movie - and playing it completely straight. Go do whatever entertains you, or whatever you think will help you grow as an actor or a talent, or just whatever seems like fun. If he likes Faulkner, then good for him for trying to make them into movies - they're not the most easily filmed stories for the most part.

I support anyone who isn't just making superhero pre-sequels, remakes, and TV reboots. He has enough clout to get something a little original in the can, and I'm glad he's using it for that rather than being the 31st X-man in the 47th universe movie.
   55. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:18 PM (#5738366)
Just finished up Season 3 of Babylon 5. Son is now able to get beyond the 90s-era CGI and enjoy the story. I'd enjoyed it the first time through, but had forgotten how laced the whole thing was with foreshadowing. It's also been interesting to see loyalties and impressions of characters evolve over time. It's holding up fairly well.
   56. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:30 PM (#5738374)
I’ve been slowly debasing myself by watching THE CLONE WARS cgi tv series, as an act of penance. I’m midway through season 2 and I come with an update:

The Jedi Council fears there is a traitor in the Senate. They asked Padme to spy on the suspected traitor Senator, but she refused to do that to a colleague. So the Jedi Council calls on Anakin—they know he’s “close” with Padme, and they demand that he use their relationship to convince her to spy on the traitor.

So in the next scene, Anakin is asking Padme about the fellow senator, and she confirms to him that she does not want to spy on a colleague. And Anakin replies “That’s great. We fear he’s actually working with Count Dooku; I never wanted you to get mixed up in this. You just don’t have enough training to be tasked with such an important role. Even if you had wanted to do it, I wouldn’t have let you.”

Padme responds to this with a “You wouldn’t LET me??? You don’t make decisions for me, I’m a senator! In fact, now, I’ve changed my mind, I’m GOING to spy on him, and there’s nothing you can do to stop me.”

And watching it live, I assumed Anakin was just employing reverse psychology on her; that it was all just a gambit to trick her into agreeing to the assignment. And I thought it was kind of clever, doing so without any explicit explanation, instead just relying on our ability to interpret the characters’ emotions.

....But then we learn that, actually, no, that wasn’t it at all. Anakin really DID mean everything he said, he really DOESNT want her to spy; he actually thinks it’s too dangerous for her, and that he wishes she hadn’t done it.

And I guess above everything else, it’s the type of scene that really shows the limitations involved in entertainment that’s produced for kids. Your characters always have to say exactly how they’re feeling because children will not pick up on subtlety.
   57. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:34 PM (#5738378)
I'm watching the first episode of HBO's SHARP OBJECTS. It seems to be trying very hard.

I finished playing "Miserable Character Cliche Bingo" after the second episode and lost interest.

On the other hand, Lodge 49 is a fun enough show. I wish it had been a Netflix show because it seems a good one for bingeing. It just mosies right along.
   58. Lassus Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5738400)
I finished playing "Miserable Character Cliche Bingo" after the second episode and lost interest.

My viewing partner is enjoying it more than I, so I'll keep it up. She is getting a little irritated with my eye rolling, however. Mercifully it's only 8 episodes. We'll see if it improves. I was hoping VULTURE would go snark on the reviews, but they seemed to really like it. I miss Television Without Pity.
   59. Lassus Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:51 PM (#5738402)
because children will not pick up on subtlety.

This seems... inaccurate.
   60. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5738407)
because children will not pick up on subtlety.

This seems... inaccurate.
Yeah - I don't get it. ;)
   61. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:58 PM (#5738462)
Yeah - I don't get it. ;)
I don't see what you did there at all.
   62. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: September 04, 2018 at 08:05 PM (#5738572)

"Better Call Saul" has inched closer and closer to "Breaking Bad" this season; last night featured a scene set in the BB timeline rather than the prequel timeframe. That's fine and thrilling as it goes, but I thought BCS was an excellent show in its own right without the increased focus on Gus and the Salamancas.

"Better Call Saul" is actually the character study "Breaking Bad" absurdly tried pretending it was while actually being a shallow page-turner that would throw character aside in service of whatever cool plot twist they'd decided to write toward, so I'm finding myself rather annoyed as it morphs into "Breaking Bad, Jr." (though I guess it now prefers to be called "Flynn") and what is realistically just a bunch of pieces moving to set up events that are already known.

On the other hand, Lodge 49 is a fun enough show. I wish it had been a Netflix show because it seems a good one for bingeing. It just mosies right along.

The entire season was released online at once.
   63. McCoy Posted: September 04, 2018 at 10:10 PM (#5738671)
On my Facebook feed a Japanese A5 smoked brisket video just popped up.
   64. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 05, 2018 at 04:07 PM (#5739139)
Davo Ranks Mumblecore Movies For You

MASTERPIECES, AMONG MY FAVORITE MOVIES EVER MADE

Momma's Man (2008, Azazel Jacobs)
Beeswax (2009, Andrew Bujalski)
Littlerock (2010, Mike Ott)
Bellflower (2011, Evan Glodell)

EXCELLENT

Dance Party, USA (2006, Aaron Katz)
Nights and Weekends (2008, Joe Swanberg & Greta Gerwig)
Medicine for Melancholy (2009, Barry Jenkins)
The Girlfriend Experience (2009, Steven Soderbergh)
Pearlblossom Hwy (2012, Mike Ott)
The Comedy (2012, Rick Alverson)
Soft in the Head (2013, Nathan Silver)
See You Next Tuesday (2013, Drew Tobia)
Buzzard (2014, Joel Potrykus)
Uncertain Terms (2014, Nathan Silver)
Heaven Knows What (2014, Safdie Brothers)
Thou Wast Mild and Lovely (2014, Josephine Decker)
Madeline's Madeline (2018, Josephine Decker)

VERY GOOD, OCCASIONALLY GREAT

Funny Ha Ha (2002, Andrew Bujalski)
All the Ships at Sea (2004, Dan Sallitt)
Mutual Appreciation (2005, Andrew Bujalski)
The Puffy Chair (2005, Duplass Brothers)
Quiet City (2007, Aaron Katz)
The Dish and the Spoon (2011, Allison Bagnall)
Exit Elena (2012, Nathan Silver)
Frances Ha (2012, Noah Baumbach)
Butter on the Latch (2013, Josephine Decker)
Lake Los Angeles (2014, Mike Ott)
The Heart Machine (2014, Zachary Wigon)
Thirst Street (2017, Nathan Silver)
Support the Girls (2018, Andrew Bujalski)

INTERESTING

Murder Party (2007, Jeremy Saulnier)
The Pleasure of Being Robbed (2008, Safdie Brothers)
You Won't Miss Me (2009, Ry Ryusso-Young)
Go Get Some Rosemary (2009, Safdie Brothers)
The Exploding Girl (2009, Bradley Rust Gray)
Open Five (2010, Kentucker Audley)
Cold Weather (2010, Aaron Katz)
You're Next (2011, Adam Wingard)
The Unspeakable Act (2012, Dan Sallitt)
Computer Chess (2013, Andrew Bujalski)
Results (2015, Andrew Bujalski)
Stinking Heaven (2015, Nathan Silver)

NOTHING TO SEE HERE

The Hole Story (2005, Alex Karpovsky)
The Goodtimes Kid (2005, Azazel Jacobs)
Hamilton (2006, Matthew Porterfield)
Hannah Takes the Stairs (2007, Joe Swanberg)
Frownland (2007, Ronald Bronstein)
Humpday (2009, Lynn Shelton)
Silver Bullets (2011, Joe Swanberg)
The Zone (2011, Joe Swanberg)
Terri (2011, Azazel Jacobs)
New Jerusalem (2011, Rick Alverson)
Listen Up Phillip (2014, Alex Ross Perry)
Enertainment (2015, Rick Alverson)

You're welcome.
   65. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 05, 2018 at 04:15 PM (#5739152)
In case you’re wondering what the definition of “Mumblecore” is, it’s like Justice Stewart said of pornography: I know it when I see it, and there’s lots of full frontal nudity.

66. PreservedFish Posted: September 05, 2018 at 04:26 PM (#5739160)
I've seen The Puffy Chair and Frances Ha. I think that's it. Liked them both.
   67. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 05, 2018 at 07:45 PM (#5739307)
And I guess above everything else, it’s the type of scene that really shows the limitations involved in entertainment that’s produced for kids. Your characters always have to say exactly how they’re feeling because children will not pick up on subtlety.

That episode sucks. The only value is that it starts to show what a ####### pyscopath Anakin is turning into.

But the next four episodes rock and should be watched on the biggest screen you can muster.
   68. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 05, 2018 at 07:53 PM (#5739312)
67- Agree. I normally watch while falling asleep, on an ultra dim laptop screen. But yeah—the CGI format is perfect for the space battle sequences.

Really—when they limit their scope to just actual *clone wars* it’s not bad. But it all turns to #### so quickly once the Jedi supermen pop up!
   69. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 05, 2018 at 08:17 PM (#5739335)

I'll probably give it a try when/if it shows up on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime. I liked the book.
   70. Howie Menckel Posted: September 05, 2018 at 08:23 PM (#5739340)
I liked the book.

one of the best jokes I've heard by a comic in years was by a guy who said he was watching "The Perfect Storm" movie, and he couldn't understand why so many in the movie theater seemed stressed by the dire scenario for George Clooney's character. even at the end, he claims he is telling people to stick around, because there has to be one more scene where he bobs up from the water in triumph.

finally, he walks out, and complains to another departer about the ending. guy tells him, "Well, I read the book, so....."

comic then goes into a rant about WHAT KIND OF SICK BASTARD would read that book, then pay money to watch it all play out on a big screen. lol
   71. Rennie's Tenet Posted: September 05, 2018 at 08:45 PM (#5739359)
I took about ten boxes of old books, among them The Perfect Storm, to the library. While stacking the boxes in the library, I saw a whole box of Perfect Storms, all donated. I figured that it might be the most-donated of all books. Everyone had it 20 years ago.
   72. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:23 PM (#5739503)
Really—when they limit their scope to just actual *clone wars* it’s not bad. But it all turns to #### so quickly once the Jedi supermen pop up!

They find ways to balance the presence of the Jedi out, I'll be interested to see what you think of the developments in season 3 and 4. Not to say there isn't some quality stuff in season 2. There are two good Kurosawa inspired episodes, a more interesting version of the recurring season 1 theme of trying to capture Grievous (after which, they discard that narrative device almost entirely) and the introduction to Mandalore and Boba Fett.

In retrospect, it seems pretty clear they were still figuring out what to do with the show before hitting a stride later on. My favorite arcs are them doing riffs on standard action movie set ups, but with Star Wars.
   73. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:34 PM (#5739509)
Just finished up Season 3 of Babylon 5. Son is now able to get beyond the 90s-era CGI and enjoy the story. I'd enjoyed it the first time through, but had forgotten how laced the whole thing was with foreshadowing. It's also been interesting to see loyalties and impressions of characters evolve over time. It's holding up fairly well.

It's pretty cool that you're getting to watch that with your kid. I'll give shows like this a go when mine are older, but right now the best I can do is getting something other than short, abrasive Youtube videos of the TV with Thomas the Tank Engine episodes.

I made my way pretty deep into season 4 before stalling out. The Shadow War was really good stuff but it is unfortunate that they had to sort of rush through the conclusion because of the uncertainty hanging over the show. Season 3 was easily my favorite of the show. Lando and G'Kar are by far the most compelling parts of that show, and probably not coincidentally, played by the two best actors on the show.

I'm sort of pushing through season 4 but it's more for resolution than a burning desire to continue. I'll probably get to season 5 at some point. The sort of great man/hero arc of Sheridan got a little over the top for me, there seems to be a point where we are expected to simply accept that what Sheridan knows and believes is right and anyone that challenges him is in the wrong. I don't think its entirely justified or pulled off, especially in season 4.

It's a really good space opera, only held back mostly by some unbelievably stiff acting throughout the run, at least as far as I've seen. I've seen a lot of favorable comparisons of B5 to DS9. Maybe the narrative is more cohesive but DS9's acting is on a whole other level from B5.
   74. PreservedFish Posted: September 05, 2018 at 11:55 PM (#5739514)
There are two good Kurosawa inspired episodes

Lemme guess, Rashoman and ... Yojimbo?
   75. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 06, 2018 at 12:00 AM (#5739516)
Seven Samurai and Stray Dog! The latter of which would not have been in my top twenty guesses before I saw it.

Rashomon would have been interesting, but I think playing with the truth of the narration would have significant implications in the Star Wars universe.
   76. Baldrick Posted: September 06, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5740040)
I'm sort of pushing through season 4 but it's more for resolution than a burning desire to continue. I'll probably get to season 5 at some point. The sort of great man/hero arc of Sheridan got a little over the top for me, there seems to be a point where we are expected to simply accept that what Sheridan knows and believes is right and anyone that challenges him is in the wrong. I don't think its entirely justified or pulled off, especially in season 4.

The back half of season 4 has some really good episodes, and some less good ones. It closes out pretty strong, though, and it's definitely worth sticking around.

Definitely don't worry about watching Season 5. You're not missing anything.

It's really unfortunate that they didn't know they'd be getting that fifth season. There's just way too much stuff to cram into season 4, and it struggles under the weight. The Minbari civil war stuff is fascinating in concept but there's so little room for it to breathe, for example. Probably the biggest single letdown of the whole show is that the Shadow War lasts all of 4-5 episodes, after having been built up for three seasons. Not that I think it needed an entire season or anything, but a little more room to delve into the questions it raises would have been nice.
   77. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 06, 2018 at 02:55 PM (#5740049)
Everything said in #76 is truth.
   78. spanx for the memories Posted: September 06, 2018 at 03:03 PM (#5740056)
   79. BDC Posted: September 06, 2018 at 03:19 PM (#5740068)
Burt Reynolds may have been in fewer good or even watchable movies than any comparably famous star … but lest that comment seems like speaking ill of him, he had talent and could carry a good movie. Deliverance is a minor classic, and I can't think of anybody who would have been better in the role. RIP.
   80. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 06, 2018 at 03:25 PM (#5740075)
Speaking of great sf writers, which ... uh ... I don't recall anybody doing of late ... anyway, I learned just yesterday* via perambulating down sundry Wikipedia rabbit trails that John Brunner died of a heart attack at the '95 WorldCon in Glasgow, apparently capping a really bleak decade-plus of existence.** Now I'm morbidly wondering whether any other sf writers (or comics creators, for that matter) died during a convention.

*I'd pretty much stopped following sf more than a decade previously, but I had at least one co-worker who hadn't, & besides that I have a hard time realizing that I had no idea about any of this ...

** He was a month short of 60. Jesus.
   81. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 06, 2018 at 03:31 PM (#5740077)
Burt Reynolds may have been in fewer good or even watchable movies than any comparably famous star … but lest that comment seems like speaking ill of him, he had talent and could carry a good movie.

Sylvester Stallone?

Burt Reynolds was obviously charming, but seemed sort of lazy. Why try hard if the public will see some mediocre movie and I can hang with some friends?

The End was pretty funny. He has a good cameo in Everything You wanted to Know about Sex. Starting Over was also kind of funny.
   82. Morty Causa Posted: September 06, 2018 at 03:38 PM (#5740083)
I agree with that. The End was rather original. And that episode of Everything...Sex was funny.

The guy was like top box office for 5 straight years. That's impressive if you're into that sort of bean counting. I'm not. Burt just didn't demand much of himself.
   83. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 06, 2018 at 03:46 PM (#5740089)
Burt Reynolds may have been in fewer good or even watchable movies than any comparably famous star … but lest that comment seems like speaking ill of him, he had talent and could carry a good movie. Deliverance is a minor classic, and I can't think of anybody who would have been better in the role. RIP.

As a kid - we're talking under 10 - I loved all the Smokey and the Bandit movies (and the clones, of which he seemed like he did a bazillion of).

It was kind of crushing - in a way - that as I got older, I found them a LOT less enjoyable than I remembered.

But yes - Deliverance is a great film. Boogie Nights also needs to be mentioned - a film on my personal top 10 list. I will also give a shout-out to Mystery Alaska, even though I know I'm likely in the minority on that one.
   84. spanx for the memories Posted: September 06, 2018 at 04:54 PM (#5740145)
I never got into the Smokey and the Bandit movies but I did enjoy the stupidity of Cannonball Run for some reason. He also had a funny cameo in Silent Movie but my favorite of his is "The Longest Yard."
   85. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 06, 2018 at 05:21 PM (#5740165)
Yeah, the B5 acting falls pretty dramatically after Jurasik and Katsulas. Biggs in particular is pretty painful.

We enjoy Vir and Lennier the most, apart from G'Kar. Last night was the end of the war - in Ep 6! - and son's first comment was indeed "wait, that's it? Now what?" I simply said Psi Corps and he said "oh, yeah, forgot about all that, that's right!" with a hopeful tone.

I'm trying to remember if anything useful came out of season 5. Strongly considering just screening the finale for him and skipping the rest. There must be some memorable moments with Mollari and G'Kar, but is it worth wading through the rest of it?
   86. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 06, 2018 at 05:40 PM (#5740174)
Burt Reynolds' career is such that his "Tonight Show" appearances and his "Saturday Night Live" episode rank higher than all but about a half dozen of his 180+ films. However, "Boogie Nights" is one of the great films of the past 30 years, and Reynolds is a key part of its success. He was to be in Quentin Tarantino's next film, which is currently in production, but whether or not Reynolds had started or completed his role hasn't been revealed.
   87. PreservedFish Posted: September 06, 2018 at 06:15 PM (#5740190)
his "Tonight Show" appearances

A friend of mine attended the taping of the Burt Reynolds "Inside the Actors Studio," which sounds itself like an SNL skit, and he was absolutely floored with how charming, funny, and quick-thinking he was. I think that Carson upgraded him to a multi-commercial break guest almost immediately, maybe before he had achieved major stardom, because he was so entertaining.
   88. Howie Menckel Posted: September 06, 2018 at 06:47 PM (#5740199)
so I'm driving up a hill in my suburban North Jersey condo complex about 45 minutes ago, and suddenly I see 3 bears strolling down the hill (no Goldilocks, alas). I've seen bears around these parts on hiking trails, but I imagine these 3 had just left the nearby Target store to pick up a few things.

I was tempted to try for a photo, but they were just too close - maybe 5 feet away - plus it was a mama bear and two cubs. a quick risk/reward analysis led me to slowly keep going on my way.

they mostly don't give a #### about people, actually, and these 3 didn't even look over at me - but "mostly" doesn't cut it, given their size and claws.
   89. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 06, 2018 at 08:00 PM (#5740226)
OK, it's September. I have seen 21 of the 7,133 feature-length films released in 2018 (according to Letterboxd). I rate them in the following fashion:

VERY GOOD
1. Madeline's Madeline
2. Happy End
3. Sorry to Bother You

GOOD
4. Hereditary
5. Support the Girls
6. Paddington 2
7. A Futile and Stupid Gesture

ABOVE REPLACEMENT LEVEL
8. The Death of Stalin
9. Christopher Robin
10. Tik Tik Tik
11. Mission Impossible: Fallout
12. Incredibles 2

BELOW REPLACEMENT LEVEL
13. Disobedience
14. Skyscraper
15. Annihilation
16. Peter Rabbit
17. Mom and Dad
18. Won't You Be My Neighbor?
19. Solo: A Star Wars Movie
20. Unfriended: Dark Web
21. The 15:17 to Paris
   90. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 06, 2018 at 08:02 PM (#5740228)
   91. BDC Posted: September 06, 2018 at 08:23 PM (#5740233)
fewer good or even watchable movies than any comparably famous star … but lest that comment seems like speaking ill of him, he had talent and could carry a good movie.

Sylvester Stallone?

Stallone might top that leaderboard, true.

Rocky is a picture that achieves what it sets out to achieve. The only other time I saw Stallone in a moderately watchable movie was a picture called Cop Land, about 20 years ago, a decent example of an Ed-McBainy hardboiled cop story. I honestly couldn't tell you anything else he's made except Rocky N and Rambo N. I may have missed some gems along the way.
   92. PreservedFish Posted: September 06, 2018 at 08:32 PM (#5740236)
The first Rambo, First Blood, is an absolute gem. For like 90 minutes it's just Stallone not talking, and killing men with pointy sticks. Then in the last 10 minutes he tries to win an Oscar by weeping the tears of all Vietnam veterans. It's a bit uneven, I concede.
   93. JJ1986 Posted: September 06, 2018 at 08:35 PM (#5740238)
I think I have seen three movies that have come out this year. Black Panthers is very good. Incredibles 2 is pretty mediocre. Game Night was surprisingly not bad.
   94. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 06, 2018 at 08:39 PM (#5740239)
Yeah, First Blood is good stuff for most of its running time. It's also got Brian Dennehy doing all sort of awesome Dennehy things.

It was made in the early 80's, but has a very "long-tail 70's" feel to it ...
   95. BDC Posted: September 06, 2018 at 08:46 PM (#5740242)
2018 so far … I've seen Black Panther, Isle of Dogs, and Solo, which were all fairly entertaining. Can that be all? I missed some in midsummer that I wanted to see (The Catcher Was a Spy, Sorry to Bother You) and lately there hasn't been anything remotely interesting* – though that tends to be the case around back-to-school time every year.

*If you live in a city with nothing but AMC multiplexes. There is a single art-house screen in my county, and it's about 20 miles from my house.
   96. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 06, 2018 at 08:57 PM (#5740247)
This is kind of pop culturish in a worlds collide sort of way, I coach 3rd/4th grade girls volleyball. 9 girls, 7 white, 2 asian. I let them pick the team name after the first practice, which I happened to not be present for, and my assistant handled it.. They vote on it (I'm not aware of the choices). They chose The Black Panthers. Our jerseys are black. I come back to the next practice, and one of the girls says to me, 'My mom says, that it might not be an appropriate name, as it means something else to older people.' I never stopped to think about how hearing that name means two totally different things depending on your age demo. Of course last year (with bright green jerseys) we were the Green Goblins.
   97. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 06, 2018 at 08:58 PM (#5740248)
Riffing on #94 ... what is peak Dennehy?

First Blood?

Silverado??

Or this ???
   98. McCoy Posted: September 06, 2018 at 09:31 PM (#5740260)
Actually I think only one person dies in First Blood. The guy in the helicopter shooting at Rambo. Most of the film is Rambo inflicting pain to others or having pain inflicted on him.
   99. McCoy Posted: September 06, 2018 at 09:35 PM (#5740261)
Stallone also had tango and cash and demolition man. Plus he did one of my favorites as a kid. Cobra.
   100. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 06, 2018 at 09:46 PM (#5740269)
Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dingbat_Charlie
for his generous support.