Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, September 01, 2018

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (September 2018)

The new TV season is upon us.

[H]ere is Deadline’s annual rundown of fall premiere dates for new and returning series. The list covers hundreds of broadcast, cable and streaming shows bowing between September 1 and December 31 and some high-profile one-off programs.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: September 01, 2018 at 12:05 PM | 382 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 
   201. Rennie's Tenet Posted: September 08, 2018 at 06:10 PM (#5740979)
Farrah Fawcett played Daily's sometime girlfriend on Jeannie when she was about 22. I assume that he looked back on those as good times.
   202. cardsfanboy Posted: September 08, 2018 at 08:22 PM (#5741028)

By contrast, TV also killed off 2/3 of the minor leagues of the late 40's, and also caused MLB's attendance to take a nosedive when every home had a set, but baseball gradually found a way to prosper despite that reduced number of feeder leagues, and TV became baseball's best friend.

Almost all of your paragraph made sense, but this part... Agree with the killing of the minor leagues part, but very few, if any cities, broadcast their homegames, if anything TV increased interest in the sport because of that blackout rule. You had 70 or so games a year on tv and it was effectively a commercial for the team, to encourage fans to attend the game.

The blackout rules today look archaic, but made perfect sense in the time period they were enacted.
   203. McCoy Posted: September 08, 2018 at 08:38 PM (#5741034)
What sport actually got hurt by TV? The history of sports has shown that without TV a sport withers and dies.
   204. cardsfanboy Posted: September 08, 2018 at 08:43 PM (#5741038)
What sport actually got hurt by TV? The history of sports has shown that without TV a sport withers and dies.

There is a point to be made, that sports who's relative popularity depended on local participants, were hurt... examples being boxing, where national broadcasts of the biggest bouts, inadvertently made people stop going to local events..

Effectively tv moved popularity of the sport away from a local thing to a national thing.. Money that would have been spent supporting locals, disappeared to other events, because the fans were being satiated by free tv.
   205. Tin Angel Posted: September 08, 2018 at 09:30 PM (#5741086)
Anyone watched Yellowstone? I rarely "binge watch" anything, but as a huge fan of Westerns that was very entertaining. Occasionally a bit overdramatic but I thought, for the most part, the writing and acting were excellent.
   206. BDC Posted: September 08, 2018 at 09:45 PM (#5741116)
sports who's relative popularity depended on local participants, were hurt

A certain tier of college football in Texas got hurt by TV. My own university (Texas-Arlington) hasn't had a football team in over 30 years. They were a junior-college power at the regional and even national level in the mid-20th century, and continued to be popular with locals in Arlington after the school became a four-year institution in the 1960s. But around that time, pro and national big-college TV football started to saturate even Texans' appetite for the sport. High-school football, being hyper-local (and having Friday nights sacred), never lost ground, and in fact gained a TV audience, ultimately. But junior-college football lost its audience (to the point where you hardly even think of it as a sport anymore), and so did minor-college football, historically-black college football, and even the tier below the absolute top powers to some extent. Schools like Rice and SMU have never really recovered. TCU, by dint of thinking about nothing else for the past quarter-century, seems to have floated to the top, but a lot of colleges have disappeared off the football map because they lost their local audience.

Arlington straggled on into the 1980s but it became futile. They built a new stadium but nobody came to the games. They rent it out now to local high schools.
   207. Richard Posted: September 08, 2018 at 11:52 PM (#5741161)
International cricket was last seen on free to air TV in the UK in 2005. Since then, participation at grassroots level has collapsed, and there are very few youngsters growing up with an interest in the game.
   208. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: September 09, 2018 at 11:18 AM (#5741211)
To me, Knopfler is the Strat master. David Gilmour honorable mention. Not there is anything wrong with any of the previous entries :)

I would give Keith Richards the honor of representing the Telecaster.

Jimmy Page for the Les Paul.
   209. vortex of dissipation Posted: September 09, 2018 at 11:54 AM (#5741223)
Gretsch White Falcon - Billy Duffy.
   210. Leroy Kincaid Posted: September 09, 2018 at 11:54 AM (#5741224)
Reynolds' greatest role was of course, Turd Ferguson.
   211. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 09, 2018 at 12:29 PM (#5741232)
Is David O. Russell’s THE FIGHTER well regarded by boxing fans? My theater viewing experience for that was one of my favorites: In the final fight, we were all so ####### into it that when Marky Mark knocked the guy down most of the crowd leapt out of their seat and burst out in cheers. It was so cool—like we all reacted to it like we were at a real fight!
   212. Tin Angel Posted: September 09, 2018 at 05:11 PM (#5741328)
Is David O. Russell’s THE FIGHTER well regarded by boxing fans? My theater viewing experience for that was one of my favorites: In the final fight, we were all so ####### into it that when Marky Mark knocked the guy down most of the crowd leapt out of their seat and burst out in cheers. It was so cool—like we all reacted to it like we were at a real fight!

I liked it, though I could easily name ten better boxing films.
   213. PreservedFish Posted: September 09, 2018 at 09:38 PM (#5741399)
I attended the US Open tennis the other day and I was noticing male fashion choices. This crowd is, in general, very affluent and very preppy, and it's a major "see and be seen" event. There are different classes within the crowd - the regular wealthy vs the uber-wealthy, the NYer vs the jet-setter, the tennis fan vs the corporate sponsor guest - but setting aside all that, we can make this generalization: men under the age of about 45 are comfortable wearing t-shirts to this event, and men over 45 prefer collared shirts. Some of the latter wear sportsjackets too. It had me wondering:

1. At what point did the t-shirt become acceptable for the upper classes?
2. Will the 40 year old tony t-shirt wearers switch to button-downs and sportsjackets over the next decade of their lives? Or will the t-shirt line just move backwards?
3. Is there an even more casual type of torso-coverer, perhaps not yet invented, that will some day make the t-shirt look like a stuffy relic of days gone by?
   214. BDC Posted: September 09, 2018 at 09:49 PM (#5741407)
Is there an even more casual type of torso-coverer, perhaps not yet invented, that will some day make the t-shirt look like a stuffy relic of days gone by?

This would seem the logical next step.
   215. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 10, 2018 at 01:29 AM (#5741465)
I may not have answers to your questions Preserved Fish, but wanted to add that the US Open is (according to my brother who is from the midwest, but lived in NYC in his late 20s and 30s, one of only 3 sporting events in his opinion that seems to get the entire market's attention. (Big East tournament, (that might not be true now), and the Yankees in the WS).

I'll try to offer an answer on #1. There are T-shirts and other non-collared shirts that are actually fitted, or at a minimum, they look good. Also, Golf shirts (popular elsewhere, are collared) are not tennis shirts. I think the presence of rolls/belly turn you into 'tony t shirt' guy into button down/sport coat guy overnight. A fitted T shirt exposes your man boobs, rolls in your back hips and of course any presence of a gut. I'm right on the cusp of this, I'll admit. some Ts just wear a little too close. I hate collars that start to not perform after a few washes.
   216. PreservedFish Posted: September 10, 2018 at 07:52 AM (#5741472)
I may not have answers to your questions Preserved Fish, but wanted to add that the US Open is ... one of only 3 sporting events in his opinion that seems to get the entire market's attention.

This doesn't seem accurate in the slightest to me. I mean, sure, there's a minority of plebians, so I guess the whole market is there in some form. There's a smattering of working class folks. There are some weird old fixed-income ladies that are randomly obsessed with tennis. But the 1% is like 50% of the crowd, and the .1% is even more hugely overrepresented. And there are a ton of international guests too, and I think it's fair to assume that someone visiting from Brazil or Spain is doing pretty well.

I would bet that any random Knicks game will have a substantially more representative slice of the population.

If he's just talking about interest - like, who's talking about it - then I don't know. The whole city does pay attention to the tennis, but then again I think the same is true for any team that's doing well.
   217. Lassus Posted: September 10, 2018 at 08:29 AM (#5741476)
I'm 48. The t-shirt line is certainly moving backwards. Or forwards. Older, whichever.
   218. PreservedFish Posted: September 10, 2018 at 08:41 AM (#5741477)
It's moving backwards, but it doesn't move backwards one year every year. Many of the 40-year old t-shirt wearers will become button-down wearers.

Sadly I only attended one day of tennis, with mild temperatures. It would have been interesting to see how everyone looked on one of the days where it was like 100F with extreme humidity. Since this is the pop culture thread, I will report that I saw Alec Baldwin, John Slattery, and Vanessa Williams, who appears to have a plastic surgery train wreck face now. Also, failed television host John McEnroe. During the month or two that McEnroe was on the air, I was approached by a tout in Times Square with free tickets to be a member of his live audience for a taping. I like McEnroe and I'm usually up for anything, so I was positively disposed to the idea, until I learned that the taping actually took place in New Jersey. Wikipedia says that the show garnered a few 0.0 ratings.
   219. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 10, 2018 at 10:20 AM (#5741506)
I believe his remarks were related to the general buzz in the city, that everyone knew it was going on versus say the us open in golf at Bethpage or jets in the playoffs.
   220. BDC Posted: September 10, 2018 at 12:03 PM (#5741571)
Recent popular and unpopular culture:

Books: I read another mystery by Higashino, Salvation of a Saint – not as good as the others I've read, but fun; a puzzle mystery, not very profound. Then started Woman with Birthmark, by Håkan Nesser: a Bride-wore-Black crime novel, a woman starts murdering everybody on her list. Also read Angie Abdou's memoir Home Ice, which is about her experiences as a hockey mom: a wonderful book for anybody who's parented an athlete, or been one, or really just been married or alive.

Music: My drive to and from the Ballpark is just long enough to hear a brief but complete classical piece on the radio, if I get lucky with timing. In recent weeks they've played Neruda's Trumpet Concerto and Mozart's Oboe Quartet in F major. Amazing stuff. The third movement of Mozart's Oboe Quartet is so confident and perfect.

TV: Halfway through the third season of Fargo. It is uneven: well, Fargo has been deliberately uneven from the start, but always worth watching. Things took a turn away from the comic in the fifth episode of S3. We'll stay with it, though. Ewan McGregor is fascinating in his dual role. La D. said to me: "I can't remember what Ewan McGregor actually looks like." I said, "He doesn't look like either of these guys."

Film: Finally saw Kieslowski's Red, which really is one of the great films of all time. Now for Blue … saw them out of order, for whatever reason, though I don't think the order is that important. We started with White, also terrific.

221. PreservedFish Posted: September 10, 2018 at 12:19 PM (#5741583)
The Decalogue became a joke in my household because of how quickly it would put me and my wife to sleep.
   222. BDC Posted: September 10, 2018 at 12:33 PM (#5741590)
I haven't seen the Decalogue. For that matter I had been avoiding Blue because of the presence of Juliette Binoche, but now I gotta be a completist. Red and White are certainly not soporific. Very compelling plots in both.
   223. PreservedFish Posted: September 10, 2018 at 12:48 PM (#5741596)
It was probably us, not the material, although the Polish television production qualities were not helpful.
   224. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: September 10, 2018 at 12:54 PM (#5741601)
I saw Red, White, and Blue sped up 50% so that I could fit them into one sitting.
This was a questionable choice on my part.
   225. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 10, 2018 at 12:54 PM (#5741602)
The whole city does pay attention to the tennis, but then again I think the same is true for any team that's doing well.

If you read only the New York Times sports section, you'd find infinitely more coverage of the U.S. tennis Open than for any World Series in recent memory. Same with the World Cup and the Olympics. It's hard not to think that their sports coverage is geared much more to an international audience than to the New York market.
   226. PreservedFish Posted: September 10, 2018 at 01:21 PM (#5741611)
Well, it's the Times. Their "Style" section is mostly concerned with high fashion and $4,000 baby buggies.
   227. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 10, 2018 at 01:51 PM (#5741620)
If you read only the New York Times sports section, you'd find infinitely more coverage of the U.S. tennis Open than for any World Series in recent memory. Same with the World Cup and the Olympics. It's hard not to think that their sports coverage is geared much more to an international audience than to the New York market.

It is a NY event. They don't give as much coverage to the French Open, Wimbledon or Australian.
   228. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 10, 2018 at 02:14 PM (#5741627)
Nathan J Robinson—one of my favorite political writers—has a nice essay this week on the closing of his local video store, and what that loss means to him.

I’m lucky enough to live in a town that still has a really nice one across the street but....the end is near, for sure (they had a big DVD sale just last month which sure ain’t a good sign).

We’re getting to the point where the only real-led spaces we’ll be able to talk about culture will be churches. And they’re declining too!
   229. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 10, 2018 at 02:36 PM (#5741638)

It is a NY event. They don't give as much coverage to the French Open, Wimbledon or Australian.

1. They still give more coverage to those other tennis Grand Slam tournaments than they do to the World Series.

2. This is true even when the Yankees or Mets are in the World Series.

3. Neither the World Cup nor the Olympics are held in New York.

And I might also add that no baseball teams other than the Yankees and Mets rate even the most perfunctory of game writeups, at least in their National edition.** The excuse may be that you can always get scores and such on ESPN, but then that's also true of all other sports. The Times sports section is now about 90% sociology and 10% event reporting.

** Don't know about the Late City edition, which is no longer available in Washington.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it's the Times. Their "Style" section is mostly concerned with high fashion and $4,000 baby buggies.

That probably comes closer to explaining the Times sports section than anything else, along with the income level and social standing of its most coveted readership. Much as I love the Times for its news coverage and book reviews, there are large parts of it that are truly Onionworthy.
   230. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 10, 2018 at 02:46 PM (#5741647)
Or Americans who like to pat themselves on the back for caring more about tennis, soccer and the Olympics than baseball, football or basketball. There, I'm a librul and I said it.

Their "Style" section is mostly concerned with high fashion and $4,000 baby buggies.
Do they call those "baby bougies"? Because if not, they really should.
   231. jmurph Posted: September 10, 2018 at 02:55 PM (#5741650)
Film: Finally saw Kieslowski's Red, which really is one of the great films of all time. Now for Blue … saw them out of order, for whatever reason, though I don't think the order is that important. We started with White, also terrific.

Red-Blue-White, for me, is the order from best to... less best, as White is still really good. But strongly agree on Red being one of the great films of all time.
   232. jmurph Posted: September 10, 2018 at 02:57 PM (#5741651)
Or Americans who like to pat themselves on the back for caring more about tennis, soccer and the Olympics than baseball, football or basketball. There, I'm a librul and I said it.

My take on this is that there are many fewer people than one might imagine who spend any time thinking about how they are better than you.
   233. PreservedFish Posted: September 10, 2018 at 04:17 PM (#5741705)
My BB-Ref game is to start with one guy, and then try to click through similarity scores to some other guy in the fewest possible clicks.

From another thread. We've all done this. Can you do this with AllMusicGuide "similar artists?" This is my first attempt to navigate from the Butthole Surfers to the Beach Boys:

Butthole Surfers > Flaming Lips > Julian Cope > The Soft Boys > Elvis Costello > Jeff Lynne > Paul McCartney > Dennis Wilson > Beach Boys

The game is significantly easier if you use the "influenced by" and "followed by" artists, which allows you to jump across generations quickly.

My challenge to you: Beck to Jeff Beck
   234. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 10, 2018 at 04:29 PM (#5741723)
I'll at least give the Times credit for publishing this, a perspective you seldom read in any sports section these days:

The Kids Who Still Need Football

235. PreservedFish Posted: September 10, 2018 at 04:34 PM (#5741731)
Yeah they publish about one marvelous sports feature per week. It's still the best newspaper, even if the daily sports reporting is replacement level, and the NYC focus is almost nonexistent.
   236. McCoy Posted: September 10, 2018 at 05:29 PM (#5741795)
Sitting by the shore in key largo and so far have seen a pod of manatees, a horseshoe crab, lizards, and some sort of yellowish fish.

Probably do the glass boat thing tomorrow. Did the deep sea fishing yesterday. Apparently it is a horrible time to do that but if course they don't tell you that and take your money anyway. One person "caught" a mahi mahi, I got some kind of Jack and they we moved to the reef and caught a bunch of small yellow tail snappers and some blue something or other fish.
   237. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 10, 2018 at 05:38 PM (#5741809)
And how did you eat them?
   238. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 10, 2018 at 05:49 PM (#5741818)
Sitting by the shore in key largo

I take it this part of Florida did not get hit with the algae bloom?
   239. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 10, 2018 at 05:49 PM (#5741819)

With his mouth?
   240. BDC Posted: September 10, 2018 at 05:51 PM (#5741820)
This is my first attempt to navigate from the Butthole Surfers to the Beach Boys

I've tried this at times, not very systematically, with casting film and stage roles. So for instance, Derek Jacobi and Benedict Cumberbatch both played Alan Turing, so Jacobi could have played Doctor Strange. (He could have, at that.) Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor played Obi-Wan Kenobi, therefore Guinness could have been in Moulin Rouge with Nicole Kidman. Liza Minnelli and Judi Dench both played Sally Bowles, so Liza Minnelli could have played M in James Bond movies.
   241. PreservedFish Posted: September 10, 2018 at 05:53 PM (#5741822)
Megadeath to Phish:

Megadeath > Alice in Chains > Red Hot Chili Peppers > Ozomatli > Michael Franti & Spearhead > Rusted Root > Widespread Panic > Phish
   242. McCoy Posted: September 10, 2018 at 06:00 PM (#5741828)
The woman tossed the mahi over there side which I don't think made her husband very happy. The jack I caught had its gills damaged and I gave it to the mate to have. The yellowtail were mostly too small so they were thrown back in except for one which was given to the mate again. Had no real way to prepare then as I was staying at a hotel. Plus with my wife's pregnancy she's absolutely paranoid about the toxins. Florida right now has a long list of fish that pregnant women should not eat and that list includes the keys area.

As for the algae bloom. No it has not hit keys. From what I've seen and been told that if more up in the Clearwater area. The bloom has hurt and helped the fishing tourism industry in the keys in that it is keeping people away but it also has pushed all the fishing business further south so it is helping the fishermen in the keys to get stressed work in their dead season or so it was told to me by our skipper.
   243. PreservedFish Posted: September 10, 2018 at 06:01 PM (#5741830)
Sean Lennon > REM > Crash Test Dummies > Gin Blossoms > Hootie & the Blowfish > The Wallflowers > Jakob Dylan
   244. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 10, 2018 at 06:09 PM (#5741837)

With his mouth?

I was just asking how he prepared them for dinner, not suggesting he was Troy McClure ...
   245. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 10, 2018 at 06:23 PM (#5741844)
The yellowtail were mostly too small so they were thrown back in except for one which was given to the mate again

What I wouldn't give for a sea-fresh yellowtail, served sashimi style right now ...
   246. McCoy Posted: September 10, 2018 at 06:27 PM (#5741847)
Yeah, the mate was going on and on about how good eating they were so he and the pelicans got our meager fishing haul
   247. vortex of dissipation Posted: September 10, 2018 at 06:40 PM (#5741854)
The first video from from Time Lapse, the new album from Kinoko Teikoku (Mushroom Empire), which is released in Japan this week. I've got the deluxe 2-CD edition pre-ordered from there, since EMI hasn't deigned to release any of their albums in the US since they signed them. This is their first work since they became my favorite band (after chatmonchy broke up), so I've got my fingers crossed, especially as I didn't really care that much for singer/guitarist Chiaki Satō's recent solo EP. But I like this song - maybe not really love unconditionally, at first listen, but I definitely do like it. Nice to see that A-Chan hasn't abandoned her trademark blue Fender Jaguar...
   248. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: September 10, 2018 at 06:40 PM (#5741855)
Harry Partch > The Residents > Talking Heads > Peter Gabriel > Dire Straits > Sheryl Crow > Counting Crows > Pearl Jam > Puddle of Mudd > Nickelback.

That was a lot easier than I thought it'd be.
   249. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 10, 2018 at 06:48 PM (#5741857)
I only have room in my life for one Time Lapse album, and it’s Ludovico Einaudi‘s.
   250. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 10, 2018 at 06:55 PM (#5741861)
Anybody else watching/watched the Jack Ryan series on Amazon?
   251. McCoy Posted: September 10, 2018 at 07:07 PM (#5741871)
I just watched shadow recruit again, does that count?

As an aside how long has Keira played the young wife or GF and how long can she keep it up? Seems like she's been around for 20 years and all that time has played the young woman.
   252. PreservedFish Posted: September 10, 2018 at 08:50 PM (#5741917)
Bing Crosby > Dean Martin > Serge Gainsbourg > Scott Walker > Lou Reed > Richard Hell & the Voidoids > Minutemen > Jello Biafra > GG Allin
   253. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 10, 2018 at 08:56 PM (#5741924)
Bing Crosby > Dean Martin > Serge Gainsbourg > Scott Walker > Lou Reed > Richard Hell & the Voidoids > Minutemen > Jello Biafra > GG Allin
Shouldn’t all of these chains go through the Bacon Brothers at some point?
   254. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 10, 2018 at 08:58 PM (#5741926)

Saw the first episode. It was OK in a generic sort of way.
   255. Tin Angel Posted: September 10, 2018 at 09:29 PM (#5741940)
Saw the first episode. It was OK in a generic sort of way.

Hard to believe something named "Jack Ryan" is kind of generic. Should have gone all out and named it Brad Smith.
   256. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 11, 2018 at 12:15 AM (#5742023)

Very Tom Clancy. Big budget. It is pretty good though. It updates and reimagines some of the backstory quite nicely.
   257. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 12:39 AM (#5742024)
Very Tom Clancy. Big budget. It is pretty good though. It updates and reimagines some of the backstory quite nicely.

Finished it tonight. Generally, I quite enjoyed it. Big budget, as you said, and well shot. Also, having Wendell Pierce back near his Bunk's old stomping grounds just feels right.

Maybe 1/3rd meh, 1/3rd pretty good, 1/3rd excellent ... I'd go B/B+

But there's a plot reveal (and I mean that literally) in Ep. 7 that's one of the most preposterous things I can remember seeing.

As in I watched it and then paused it and then laughed and then said, "that makes NO ####### sense ... NONE."
   258. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:14 AM (#5742028)
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young > Method Man > Sandy Denny > The Fletcher Henderson Orchestra > Allan Sherman > Mannheim Steamroller > The Dickies > Andy Gibb > Mario Lanza > Suicidal Tendencies > Crosby, Stills & Nash
   259. PreservedFish Posted: September 11, 2018 at 09:12 AM (#5742061)
The first video from from Time Lapse, the new album from Kinoko Teikoku (Mushroom Empire), which is released in Japan this week. I've got the deluxe 2-CD edition pre-ordered from there, since EMI hasn't deigned to release any of their albums in the US since they signed them. This is their first work since they became my favorite band (after chatmonchy broke up), so I've got my fingers crossed, especially as I didn't really care that much for singer/guitarist Chiaki Satō's recent solo EP. But I like this song - maybe not really love unconditionally, at first listen, but I definitely do like it.

Vortex, I'm aware that you're something of a luddite and that you still borrow CDs from the library, grandma-style. You might be interested to learn that Spotify - which grants you access to almost every song ever recorded for about $10 per month - has Kinoko Teikoku's latest release, as of about two weeks ago.

I don't know how the service is about j-rock generally. I just clicked on chatmonchy and it looks like all of their music has recently disappeared, leaving empty playlists.
   260. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 09:23 AM (#5742066)

This is my favorite thing.
   261. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: September 11, 2018 at 09:23 AM (#5742067)
Mannheim Steamroller > The Dickies > Andy Gibb

That "similarity" engine has a few bugs in it.
   262. PreservedFish Posted: September 11, 2018 at 09:29 AM (#5742072)
I like the Crosby > Allin chain because none of the jumps are bad stretches. But it's helpful to have a chameleon-like performer or two, like Walker.
   263. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: September 11, 2018 at 09:56 AM (#5742097)
Mario Lanza > Suicidal Tendencies
The Dickies > Andy Gibb

I think we've discovered the "sarcastic cover version" loophole to the AllMusicGuide Similar Artists game.

Is there an even more casual type of torso-coverer, perhaps not yet invented, that will some day make the t-shirt look like a stuffy relic of days gone by?

Maybe the string vest (google "Rab C. Nesbitt") will make a comeback.
   264. PreservedFish Posted: September 11, 2018 at 10:01 AM (#5742104)

I think we've discovered the "sarcastic cover version" loophole to the AllMusicGuide Similar Artists game.

I think GB is just making #### up.
   265. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 10:24 AM (#5742122)
I think GB is just making #### up.

Ding!
   266. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 11, 2018 at 10:30 AM (#5742127)
If I didn't make up one, or two, or ten "similar artists" connections, how the hell else would I have ever gotten from Crosby Stills Nash & Young to Crosby Stills & Nash?
   267. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: September 11, 2018 at 10:43 AM (#5742131)
Mae West -> Mario Lanza -> Mario -> Omarion -> Deathspell Omega -> Blondie
   268. PreservedFish Posted: September 11, 2018 at 10:47 AM (#5742133)
Do Karlheinz Stockhausen to Shaggy
   269. jmurph Posted: September 11, 2018 at 11:01 AM (#5742145)
Reminded of "they did She's Got Legs into Ain't Too Proud to Beg into something by the Dixie Dregs."
   270. vortex of dissipation Posted: September 11, 2018 at 11:12 AM (#5742153)
Vortex, I'm aware that you're something of a luddite and that you still borrow CDs from the library, grandma-style. You might be interested to learn that Spotify - which grants you access to almost every song ever recorded for about $10 per month - has Kinoko Teikoku's latest release, as of about two weeks ago.

I don't know how the service is about j-rock generally. I just clicked on chatmonchy and it looks like all of their music has recently disappeared, leaving empty playlists.

Thanks - that's interesting. I do have Spotify on my computer, so I checked that out. The two new releases are two "best of" compilations that are being put out to celebrate the band's tenth anniversary, which is this year. One, the blue one, is a compilation of their indie years, and the other, the red one, covers the EMI releases after they signed with that major label. I'll have to check if the new album appears - it's being released in Japan tomorrow. The two compilations look very well chosen, especially the blue one, that covers their indie years. I'd definitely recommend that one for someone who is not familiar with their work. Their four indie releases have been available in the US on digital services such as iTunes since they were released, and that was how I purchased them. I had to buy the EMI releases from Japan, because they weren't available here. I checked iTunes, and the blue indie compilation is available for purchase in the US, but the red EMI compilation isn't.

The distribution of J-rock in the US is very inconsistent. I'd estimate that somewhere around half of the acts I like have their music distributed via streaming or digital download in the US. Strangely enough, indie labels are as likely as the major labels to distribute their music over here. Some acts such as ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION have their entire catalogues available on iTunes - others such as Akai Ko-en have nothing available in the US. YUI's two "best of" albums are available on iTunes, but none of the original albums are. chatmonchy have all of their albums except their two most recent (figure that out) available for purchase on iTunes, but nothing on streaming services. Glim Spanky have their albums available to listen to on Hoopla and other streaming services, but you can't buy them as downloads on iTunes. Exactly what is available and what is not is very unpredictable - SCANDAL had their entire catalogue available on iTunes the last time I looked, but now they have nothing available. That inconsistency is why I prefer to listen to music using either CDs or purchased downloads - streaming is fine for discovering new artists or listening to something to see if you'd like it, but there's nothing as frustrating as liking something, and having it disappear.
   271. Howie Menckel Posted: September 11, 2018 at 11:33 AM (#5742171)
So I watched "The Wrecking Crew" last night on PBS. per wiki:

"The Wrecking Crew documents the work of studio players who recorded the tracks for such hits as "California Dreamin'", "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'", "Be My Baby", "The Beat Goes On", and "Good Vibrations".[4] Interviews with producers, engineers, and session musicians reveal the warmth and humor that allowed their collective talents to turn a simple chord chart into an international phenomenon."

that undersells them, though. now, these guys didn't perform on ALL of the 1960s hits - but it's crazy how many they did.

Mickey Dolenz of The Monkees said he considered the show as him playing the role of a drummer in a pop band. after being trained for a year, he said he could perform his primitive drumming assignments in concerts. Peter Tork, meanwhile, said he showed up at the studio with his bass, only to be told that the songs already were completed.

good stuff from Cher on being a teenager and in-studio watching these guys perform.
   272. vortex of dissipation Posted: September 11, 2018 at 12:36 PM (#5742205)
Just as a follow-up about Spotify in particular, I checked a playlist I have on my iPod with my absolute favorite J-rock songs of the past couple of years, to see how many of them are available on Spotify. Of the 24 songs on the playlist, 13 are on Spotify, which aligns pretty well with my previous guess of half of music I like being available...
   273. PreservedFish Posted: September 11, 2018 at 12:38 PM (#5742207)
How many of them are fronted by adorable young women?
   274. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 12:57 PM (#5742220)
Mickey Dolenz of The Monkees said he considered the show as him playing the role of a drummer in a pop band. after being trained for a year, he said he could perform his primitive drumming assignments in concerts. Peter Tork, meanwhile, said he showed up at the studio with his bass, only to be told that the songs already were completed.

As a Monkees apologist and fan, they did a good job playing their own instruments on their 3rd and 4th albums, then realized that it was easier to just have other people do it. They are one of the most unique stories in pop/rock history.
   275. vortex of dissipation Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:16 PM (#5742237)
How many of them are fronted by adorable young women?

As I've mentioned before, I like songs because of their musical merits. But it's true that there is an astounding number of good all-female bands in Japan as compared to the rest of the world, and those bands make up a large proportion of the music I listen to. There are also hundreds of idol groups in Japan who are made up of cuter women than in most of the bands I listen to, but I don't listen to them because I don't like their music. To answer your question, 20 of the 24 songs on the playlist are sung by female vocalists (although not all of the bands are all-female).
   276. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:21 PM (#5742240)
I use Spotify all the time, and I love it, but there's plenty of American music I can't get on it either. For instance, there's nothing from the Drag City label, which includes a bunch of my favorite music.
   277. Yonder Alonso in misguided trousers (cardinal) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:45 PM (#5742268)
Check again-- Drag City stuff on Spotify now, as of April or thereabouts. I don't actually know if it's all of it, but e.g. Bonnie 'Prince' Billy and Silver Jews are definitely there.

edit: I just went to my saved album list to see about the Silver Jews material and while the album list used to be in alphabetical order by artist, now it looks mostly random. WTF, Spotify.
   278. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:56 PM (#5742276)
Oh... thank you! For once my publicly demonstrated ignorance has worked to my benefit. My Gastr Del Sol consumption is about to increase significantly.
   279. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:58 PM (#5742279)
As I've mentioned before, I like songs because of their musical merits. But it's true that there is an astounding number of good all-female bands in Japan as compared to the rest of the world

Shonen Knife and Baby Metal?
   280. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 01:59 PM (#5742282)
"The Wrecking Crew documents the work of studio players who recorded the tracks for such hits as "California Dreamin'", "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'", "Be My Baby", "The Beat Goes On", and "Good Vibrations".

Good Vibrations is one of the greatest songs every recorded.
   281. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 02:30 PM (#5742308)

Seconded.
   282. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5742323)

Good Vibrations? Or Good Vibrations?
   283. vortex of dissipation Posted: September 11, 2018 at 03:29 PM (#5742344)
As I've mentioned before, I like songs because of their musical merits. But it's true that there is an astounding number of good all-female bands in Japan as compared to the rest of the world

Shonen Knife and Baby Metal?

Shonen Knife, certainly. While I like Babymetal (“KARATE” is wonderful), I wouldn’t put them anywhere near the top of the list. Some of these have broken up, but my top 20, in addition to Shonen Knife, would probably be (this list is off the top of my head, so I'm sure I'll miss someone I should list):

chatmonchy
Stereopony
Akai Ko-en
tricot*
SCANDAL
the peggies
Regal Lily
Shishamo
Yubisaki Nohaki
TsuShiMaMiRe
paranoid void
FLiP
Sugar'n'spice
split end
NEGOTO
BAND-MAID
FINLANDS
Hitsujibungaku
Drop's

* tricot hired a male drummer this year, but the three permanent members are women, so I'm counting them.

There are literally hundreds of Japanese all-female bands, and this is just the tip of the iceberg. It also doesn't include female-led bands of mixed gender, or solo female artists. I could easily do a top 20 list of either of those.
   284. PreservedFish Posted: September 11, 2018 at 03:46 PM (#5742362)
They're really excited about capital letters, huh? I guess it's a novelty.
   285. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 11, 2018 at 04:45 PM (#5742416)
Am I the only one who is hoping Vortex snuck in some completely made up band names, just to screw with people?
   286. PreservedFish Posted: September 11, 2018 at 05:10 PM (#5742439)
(this comment was originally a joke at Vortex's expense that I immediately decided to remove)

So, um ... I had some really good chicharrones in Washington Heights the other day.
   287. Howie Menckel Posted: September 11, 2018 at 05:25 PM (#5742445)
update on an issue that I think I posted in this thread previously:

I got a speeding ticket a month ago in Albany, NY.

ok, how much and how can I pay it?

no fine listed, sorry (it appears it will be $90 to $300, so I hope the wheel spins in my favor!).

yes, we know it's 2018 - but sorry, you have to fill out the ticket, then mail it up there (I have a friend with an adult millennial son who has never used a stamp and wouldn't know how).

I used registered receipt mail. after 3 weeks, I haven't even gotten THAT back.

so I call in, talk to a woman for 2 minutes, get put on hold for 16 minutes (not, "like 16 minutes," which might be 8 minutes. this is 16 minutes per my cell phone timing of it). then I get cut off.

I call back and get Ray Romano - no, he must make too much in residuals, so it's a sound-alike. I ask how it is possible that after 3 weeks, they were unable even to confirm receipt (it's not like they have to do anything after that). He stammers, then says, "We're kinda backed up."

I said, well, I got the ticket a month ago and don't feel like finding out my license was suspended because the ticket is unpaid even though I want to pay it. In fact, I offered to pay it on the spot.

"you're fine," he says. we'll see.

btw, the cop who handed me my ticket smugly said, "It's Speed Month."

288. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 11, 2018 at 05:27 PM (#5742447)
They're really excited about capital letters, huh? I guess it's a novelty.
This is superb.
   289. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 11, 2018 at 05:32 PM (#5742449)
I had some really good chicharrones in Washington Heights the other day.
Mmm. Love me some chicharrones, provided they're served by themselves and not with salsa and whatnot in a taco, in which case they just turn to mush. Were these the ones that are pretty much all skin, or did they have a good amount of meat on them as well? I prefer the latter.
   290. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 11, 2018 at 06:54 PM (#5742493)
They are one of the most unique stories in pop/rock history.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience opening for the Monkees tour must have been one of the weirder experiences, even for the time period ...

Micky Dolenz was the first Monkee to “discover” Hendrix; while visiting New York in the spring of 1967, a friend advised him to check out this amazing musician in the Village who played the guitar with his teeth. Dolenz was impressed but didn’t remember the guitarist’s name until he saw The Jimi Hendrix Experience onstage at the Monterey Pop Festival several months later. The Monkees were about to embark on a U.S. concert tour and Dolenz strongly recommended hiring Jimi Hendrix and his band as their opening act. Peter Tork and Michael Nesmith supported the choice; both were anxious to be accepted as serious musicians and believed that Hendrix would lend them some credibility among rock critics and older record buyers. “Besides,” Tork would later say, “it would give us the chance to watch Jimi Hendrix perform night after night!”

Jimi, on the other hand, thought The Monkees’ music was “dishwater,” but his manager convinced him to sign on for the tour. Hendrix already had three hits in England but was virtually unknown in America. His manager wanted to capitalize on the buzz generated by his client’s Monterey Pop performance, and The Monkees were just about the biggest act in the country at that time. What could go wrong?

Link

291. PreservedFish Posted: September 11, 2018 at 08:41 PM (#5742540)
Mmm. Love me some chicharrones, provided they're served by themselves and not with salsa and whatnot in a taco, in which case they just turn to mush. Were these the ones that are pretty much all skin, or did they have a good amount of meat on them as well? I prefer the latter.

You would have been pleased. They were served by themselves on a plate, with lime on the side. And they had a lot of fat and meat on them. Here's a pic that I didn't take. The lady with the cleaver patiently chose boneless pieces for me, I guess that's what they just give to gringos, or whatever Dominicans call gringos.
   292. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 11, 2018 at 09:28 PM (#5742580)
Oh, man, those look like the Platonic form of chicharrones, had Plato had any idea what chicharrones were.
   293. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:03 AM (#5742737)
Howie M, #271:
So I watched "The Wrecking Crew" last night on PBS.
"The Wrecking Crew documents the work of studio players who recorded the tracks for such hits as "California Dreamin'", "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'", "Be My Baby", "The Beat Goes On", and "Good Vibrations". Interviews with producers, engineers, and session musicians reveal the warmth and humor that allowed their collective talents to turn a simple chord chart into an international phenomenon."[/quote[that undersells them, though. now, these guys didn't perform on ALL of the 1960s hits - but it's crazy how many they did.

Hal Blaine drummed on over 35,000 tracks, including 150 Top Ten hits and 40 Number One songs.

To put that in some perspective, there've been 40 #1 hits for Stevie Wonder, the Bee Gees, Beyoncé, the Rolling Stones, and Elton John... combined.

Blaine played on six consecutive Grammy-winning Records of the Year from 1966 through 1971.

jacksone, #282:
Good Vibrations? Or Good Vibrations?

Both #1 hits, too. For one week apiece. But Marky Mark wins the tiebreaker because his song was on the charts for 20 weeks, longer than the Beach Boys single. Suck it, Brian Wilson! You were no Funky Bunch.

Other pairs who each had a #1 song that shared the other one's title:
*Neil Sedaka and Taylor Swift
*Van Halen and Kris Kross
*Fergie and the Four Seasons
*Lionel Richie and Adele
*Frankie Avalon and the Shocking Blue (or Bananarama)
*George Michael and Timmy T
*Madonna and Rihanna (hey, that rhymes)
*Mariah Carey and Bobby Goldsboro
*Will Smith and the Escape Club
*The Eagles and the Emotions
*Mary J. Blige and Sly & the Family Stone
*Phil Collins and Maroon 5
*Huey Lewis and Celine Dion
*John Denver and Brenda Lee
*Color Me Badd and Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart and Sting

And there's another song title shared by three different #1 singles by Petula Clark, Paul McCartney and Justin Timberlake.

There would be another title overlap between Dolly Parton and Sheena Easton, but the latter's original matching song title was demoted to parenthetical status for U.S. release due to its proximity to Parton's hit.

But if you ignore parentheticals, Lisa Loeb and Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs also share a #1 song title.

Mariah Carey is just two notches away from having had three of these, because she had two other title-a-like singles that peaked at #2.
   294. Lassus Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:42 AM (#5742741)
test

edit: well, I don't know what happened, but at least the tag is closed.
   295. Lassus Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:49 AM (#5742744)
Anyhow, Will Terrence Malick Ever Really Finish The Tree of Life?
As Criterion technical director Lee Kline recently described to Indiewire, the filmmaker had originally thought of using the “seamless branching” technology of DVD and Blu-ray to put hours of his footage on the disc and allow viewers to effectively watch a different version of the movie each time they saw it. “The idea was to take the additional footage and have it play randomly in different ways to create different story lines,” Kline said. “There’d be so many permutations of it you wouldn’t get the same story over and over.”

This jibes with some of the unorthodox methods Malick used to edit the film in the first place. Back in 2011, Billy Weber, a longtime Malick collaborator and one of the five credited editors on The Tree of Life, described it this way to me: “Terry is willing to try anything. Absolutely anything. Sometimes we’d cut a character out of a scene, or cut all the dialogue out of a scene, just to see if it worked. And when you’ve worked with him for any length of time, you can even try that without asking him about it first. He’s very open to looking at anything that you try.”
I haven't (yet) seen this movie, and I don't think I will like it, but this article is interesting about how open Malick is to change and options. I do wish I liked more of Malick's work.
   296. PreservedFish Posted: September 12, 2018 at 09:37 AM (#5742801)
Malick's films exist on a neat continuum - the early films are beautiful and ruminative and they just become increasingly beautiful and increasingly ruminative. Tree of Life is just gorgeous and very affecting but it's so slow and swirly and dreamy and the breathy poetic voiceover narration steps right up to the brink of self-parody. It's tough for me to imagine watching it at home and not falling asleep.
   297. JJ1986 Posted: September 12, 2018 at 09:57 AM (#5742812)
I enjoyed Tree of Life as just sort of an experience, but To the Wonder is one of the most infuriating movies I've seen. His first two films are still great.
   298. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 12, 2018 at 11:18 AM (#5742858)
I don’t like Malick’s movies. I’m sorry.

He and Tarkovsky are two of the “Grand Masters” whose work I do not connect to one iota. To my great shame!
   299. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 12, 2018 at 11:20 AM (#5742860)
Malick's films exist on a neat continuum - the early films are beautiful and ruminative and they just become increasingly beautiful and increasingly ruminative. Tree of Life is just gorgeous and very affecting but it's so slow and swirly and dreamy and the breathy poetic voiceover narration steps right up to the brink of self-parody. It's tough for me to imagine watching it at home and not falling asleep.

Badlands and Days of Heaven were good. I liked the Thin Red Line but it was confusing, mostly as a lot of the actors looked alike and it was hard to tell which story was connected to which person. I hated Tree of Life. So slow and confusing. Beautifully shot.
   300. PreservedFish Posted: September 12, 2018 at 11:25 AM (#5742862)
He and Tarkovsky are two of the “Grand Masters” whose work I do not connect to one iota. To my great shame!

I thought you were a big Tarkovsky guy?

I'm a sucker for Malick's visuals ... I really don't mind his many endless scenes of people just meandering through wheat and tall grass. But his 70s films, which have plots, gotta be the best.
Page 3 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
danielj
for his generous support.