Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, September 03, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (September 2019)

The 2019-20 TV season is around the corner, so here is Deadline’s annual rundown of fall premiere dates for new and returning series. The list covers more than 300 broadcast, cable and streaming shows bowing between September 1 and December 31 and some high-profile one-off programs.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: September 03, 2019 at 07:54 AM | 360 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
   1. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: September 01, 2019 at 02:18 PM (#5876112)
Bless these TV premiere guides that require no thought or effort to dig up.
   2. vortex of dissipation Posted: September 01, 2019 at 02:48 PM (#5876123)
Carried over from the last thread...

I have to say that I'm a bit surprised by tricot signing with a major label after so many years on their own indie imprint, but here's "Overflow", their first single under their new deal with avex/cutting edge. And it's absolutely fantastic, quirky as always. but with a great chorus. A friend describes them as "Prog rock intellectualism and spiky indie/punk esthetics," and I think that fits. And the video is wonderful, too. Both tricot and Regal Lily have new releases arriving on September 25, so I've sent in my pre-order to my usual Japanese CD store...
   3. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: September 01, 2019 at 04:12 PM (#5876157)
Back home in Germany after a week off in the UK, primarily in East Anglia and a city break in Glasgow (first time for me, thoroughly enjoyable). I did pop into a small local movie theatre to see Once Upon A Time . . . In Hollywood, which was an impressibly immersive few hours, but I can't say activated any kind of emotional engagement or communicated any kind of theme to me. I think I'm watching Tarantino wrong.
   4. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: September 03, 2019 at 02:00 PM (#5876460)
I cannot wait for the final season of "Mr. Robot" (October 6). That show blows my mind.
   5. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: September 03, 2019 at 02:06 PM (#5876462)
I think I'm watching Tarantino wrong.

Watching Tarantino -- Italian for "I'm a smug, smarmy creep who needs a hard punch in the face and then a shove down the nearest long flight of stairs" (their language is so much more expressive than hours) -- is wrong.
   6. Lassus Posted: September 03, 2019 at 02:08 PM (#5876464)
We ALMOST went to go see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this weekend.

But.... we didn't. We baked instead.
   7. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: September 03, 2019 at 02:17 PM (#5876466)
Actually, I'll probably watch Once Upon a Time at some point via Netflix or Amazon Prime, thanks to the Manson angle. Got through just last week watching Charlie Says, which was pretty damned decent.Hannah Murray, who played Leslie Van Houten, previously impressed me in God Help the Girl. (Looks like I also saw her a few years before that in Chatroom, but I can't say she made much of an impression.)

The new actress playing Susan Atkins, Marianne Rendón, is an absolute chameleon, I swear, judging from her Google Image gallery. At various times I saw a lot of Bernardine Dohrn (from pretty much the same period) in her face in the Atkins role.

Not quite sure how she could pull off a young Patti Smith in Mapplethorpe, which I haven't seen, but I have little doubt that she does.
   8. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: September 03, 2019 at 03:47 PM (#5876494)
I got through Chernobyl last week too, in fact. That was pretty impressive, playing out like a horror movie in reverse, but in a good way. The first couple of hours were rivetingly horrific, made all the more so by a threat that is completely immaterial and deeply visceral, and then the subsequent hours trying to contain the threat, which expose all the steps that led to the disaster in the first place.
   9. Nasty Nate Posted: September 03, 2019 at 03:53 PM (#5876496)
I just listened to the first third of Lou Reed/Metallica - Lulu. I kind of like it.
   10. Lassus Posted: September 03, 2019 at 04:25 PM (#5876507)
Metallica is revisiting their collaboration with the San Francisco Symphony soon.
   11. phredbird Posted: September 03, 2019 at 05:23 PM (#5876516)

chernobyl was all kinds of awesome. jared harris is a top 5 actor in the world these days.

my new addiction is succession, which boasts another top fiver, brian cox.
   12. Omineca Greg Posted: September 03, 2019 at 06:39 PM (#5876540)
Lulu is better than its reputation would have you believe.

It has serious faults, but it isn't impossible to glean listening pleasure from it. That statement is more favourable than its reputation.

It's way too long, multiple tracks run 8 minutes plus for no discernible reason.

Lou sounds like a dirty old man. For the life of me I can't decide if this is a good or a bad thing. Given the lyrics, he was going to sound like a dirty something, so why not a geriatric pervert? Really makes you think...if you're going to be subjected to lyrics like...

Tie me with a scarf and jewels
Put a bloody gag to my teeth
I beg you to degrade me!
Is there waste that I could eat?
I am a secret lover, I am your little girl
Please spit into my mouth
I'm forever in your swirl
You are heartless and I love that
You have no use of me
But I open the sticks, sticky legs I bear
And then insert a fist, an arm
Some lost appendage
Please open me, I beg!

I don't know who would have the best voice for that...Streisand? Céline? Miranda Lambert? No, serious question, I really have no idea.

So sure, Lou Reed! Why not?

On the other fist, arm, lost appendage, I can't really think of anything else like it. The juxtaposition of Lou's deviant old man barking and Metallica's calculatedly artless grind...well, it's really something else. Numberless bands have combined weird sex lyrics and metal, but never like this.

I listen to a track or two every now and then and get something out of it. And two tracks can easily add up to 15 minutes...
   13. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 03, 2019 at 06:45 PM (#5876544)
I don't know who would have the best voice for that...Streisand? Céline? Miranda Lambert?
Dieter from Sprockets.
   14. Omineca Greg Posted: September 03, 2019 at 06:58 PM (#5876548)
Well, the Muppets did a cover of a Lulu song.

TRIGGER WARNING: YOU WILL NEVER LOOK AT BEAKER THE SAME WAY AGAIN.

You've been warned
   15. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 05, 2019 at 01:41 PM (#5876968)
Today, cartoonist Cathy Guisewite is... 69. Off her diet again.

Her art style was once described as if someone dropped a handful of string on the floor and then Xeroxed it.
   16. Nasty Nate Posted: September 05, 2019 at 01:51 PM (#5876970)
Lulu is better than its reputation would have you believe.
Yes. I listened to the rest of it. There are a few of the tracks that I will revisit.
   17. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: September 05, 2019 at 03:17 PM (#5876989)
Anyone here a country music fan? Kylie Rae Harris died in a car accident yesterday
   18. I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape Posted: September 05, 2019 at 03:26 PM (#5876991)
Numberless bands have combined weird sex lyrics and metal

So it's like a metal version of Sister Ray?
   19. Omineca Greg Posted: September 05, 2019 at 06:07 PM (#5877015)
So it's like a metal version of Sister Ray?

A little. The sex in Sister Ray isn't that weird, a ding dong gets sucked, a pigpen gets licked, Jim whips it on somebody, probably The Sailor was going to be down for some kinky stuff, but unfortunately for him, when he stains the carpet, it's because he got shot and his insides came out. And the carpet gets stained really badly, no, unless you've heard the song, I think it's impossible to understand how the poor condition of the carpet puts a damper on the whole party. This was before they had Tide to Go, you know those were different times. A more stained time. But you're right, the lyrics are weird.

The best thing about Lulu is how well it captures the tone of the source material: Erdgeist, Die Büchse der Pandora (Wedekind) and the opera based on them, Lulu (Berg) It's turn of the century (19th to 20th) kinky German stuff, all fraught with psycho-sexual Freudian ideas and implications. To keep it shocking as the original intention, Reed turned up the explicitness to 11 here in their 21st century take on it. He sounds unhinged in his performances. It is a neat trick to pull off, when watching the opera now, or Pandora's Box, you have to use your imagination to get the full intended impact.

That being said, was the world calling out for a completely over the top reinterpretation of this story? And even if it were, there's so many flaws in the conception and performance, that...it's hard to sit through, honestly. It pisses off Metallica fans no end, which is funny I guess. I don't know, it's mostly a failure, but there's just enough quality there to keep me coming back to it, but with never more than a grudging respect for it. The ratio of suck to quality is dangerously unbalanced.
   20. Baldrick Posted: September 05, 2019 at 06:10 PM (#5877016)
New albums from Taylor Swift and Lana Del Ray and there sure is a lot of Discourse about them.

To my ears, the Swift record is fine - plenty of nice songs, no obvious bangers, a few clunkers - while the LDR record is clearly a bigger artistic accomplishment (though I'm not sure that makes it a better album). Sonically, it all sounds pretty much the same, but it feels like a real exploration of a specific mood in way that feels significant.
   21. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 05, 2019 at 08:06 PM (#5877026)
Did I miss a conversation about The Boys last month? Anyone else watching it? It is an imperfect show, to say the least. But is wildly funny and totally depraved and I'm like 99% sure Karl Urban writes his own dialogue (which is a great idea if that's what is happening).

Also, Jindenna has a new album that came out last week. I don't yet have an opinion on it yet but would love to read someone else's.

Oh, Spiderman (man-spider?) and Sodomy, I absolutely love Every Picture Tells a Story and now I'm wading into Gasoline Alley. Really can't thank you enough for the rec.
   22. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 05, 2019 at 08:09 PM (#5877027)
Lou sounds like a dirty old man. For the life of me I can't decide if this is a good or a bad thing.

As opposed to when he used to be a dirty young man? I haven't listened to this track yet, but Reed is always at his best when he's letting his freak flag fly. Glad he didn't get more shameful as he got older, something to aspire to.
   23. Omineca Greg Posted: September 05, 2019 at 10:20 PM (#5877053)
...Reed is always at his best when he's letting his freak flag fly...

Lou's 2000 album, Ecstasy, is really good. I mean, there's that 18 minute song about being a possum ("Possum whiskers, possum face, possum breath and a possum taste"), but besides that, it's really good.

The songs juggle love, sexuality, romance, and family in an absorbing way. When Reed does the calculations of that complicated equation, he comes up with different conclusions than what is typical of the commonly accepted wisdom. Sex is treated as a profound thing, always bringing a danger to emotional and spiritual health, but still worth pursuing for both the intrinsic, visceral pleasure it brings, but also as a component of trying to deepen a relationship with another person. Not that those are necessarily original ideas, you might be thinking "Duh. Everyone thinks that." But they don't, not the way Reed weighs the factors. There's a morality to it all...but not a traditional one.

Hal Willner produces, and he does a great job, the album sounds fantastic, Reed and Mike Rathke's guitars crunch along merrily, and the songs have subtle arranging ideas to keep things fresh. Reed was 58 when it came out, and if you're interested in what Lou thought of the human condition when he was that age, it's a good listen. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but if you've already dipped into his recorded legacy and liked it, it would be a worthwhile place to check out. A lot of his later work can seem self-consciously cultured, but not this one. It's rare in that it's a record that's mature, but not staid. It's thoughtful, but not politely considerate or circumspect. It's an interesting little bundle of perspectives.
   24. chisoxcollector Posted: September 05, 2019 at 10:20 PM (#5877054)
Finally finished my 5 Paul Newman films for August. Only a few days behind schedule! Ranked from best to worst:

Excellent
Cool Hand Luke
Hud
The Hustler

Very Good
The Verdict

Okay
Slap Shot

I was mildly disappointed in Slap Shot. Everything else lived up to expectations. After careful consideration, I definitely prefer Paul Newman to Robert Redford.

Up next for September is Warren Beatty. I have seen 6 Warren Beatty films. Bonnie and Clyde, Shampoo, Bugsy, Bulworth, Love Affair, and Dick Tracy. The 5 films I am planning on watching are:

Firm
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Reds
The Parallax View

Tentative
Heaven Can Wait
Splendor in the Grass

I also considered Ishtar. I’m open to suggestions!

25. Omineca Greg Posted: September 05, 2019 at 10:30 PM (#5877055)
If you want to watch a train wreck, watch Mickey One.
   26. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: September 06, 2019 at 08:41 AM (#5877066)
I also considered Ishtar.
You need to see Ishtar. Any time your project possibly includes a legendary Hollywood disaster, you need to add it to the list. You need to see it for the same reason that no John Wayne segment would be complete without a viewing of The Conqueror. I mean, no one died from cancer caused by nuclear fallout after filming Ishtar, but it's still worth seeing.

I keep mixing up Heaven Can Wait with Heaven's Gate, a movie from around the same time that is somewhere on the epic disasters list.
   27. PreservedFish Posted: September 06, 2019 at 08:50 AM (#5877067)
I think Heaven's Gate has experienced something of a critical reassessment actually.

However, both of those films are undoubtedly inferior to the superb Gates of Heaven.
   28. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 06, 2019 at 08:51 AM (#5877068)
Cool Hand Luke

This movie changed my life. I had just finished some law school exam (1 of 5 from that week as I recall) and it was on Netflix. Sat down with a bottle of bourbon and a bag of weed and was enthralled from the moment it started. I had absorbed bits and pieces of it through other pop culture references but I really wasn't prepared for the power of the story or Newman's performance. The state of mind his character was in at the beginning of the film, at the time, led to an instant connection for me.

I think about the movie and its implications about authority and in particular criminal "justice" on a near daily basis. I love a lot of Newman movies (The Hustler and Slapshot included) but this is my favorite.

I’m open to suggestions!

Bullworth is an odd sort of movie that I enjoyed, with some interesting (and some terrible) rap music played through out the film. I feel like Bernie Sanders jerks off to that movie.
   29. PreservedFish Posted: September 06, 2019 at 08:57 AM (#5877071)
This movie changed my life.

I feel like you didn't finish the story. Did you quit law school and become a heroic individualist?
   30. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 06, 2019 at 09:19 AM (#5877073)
I feel like you didn't finish the story. Did you quit law school and become a heroic individualist?

Nah dude, the loans are the loans.

But it did significantly shift my thinking and the way I approached life. An individualist is probably a fair term for where I shake out on most things.

But perhaps more importantly, for me at least, was that it showed me what could figuratively happen if I let my anger, my drinking and my purposeless disdain for the rules shape my behavior. It set me on a course of mental and emotional bifurcation, where I still strive to stay in touch with the part of me that immediately connected and empathized with that character while also being able to develop into a capable corporate toady that can finally provide for my wife and kids, and eventually my parents and sister. And I do think I've accomplished that over the last 8 years and I'm generally happy with the type of person I've turned into as a result.

Not much romance there, but then there wasn't any romance in Cool Hand Luke either.
   31. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 06, 2019 at 09:29 AM (#5877075)
Lou's 2000 album, Ecstasy, is really good.

Putting it on the list, thanks!
   32. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: September 06, 2019 at 09:51 AM (#5877084)
I think Heaven's Gate has experienced something of a critical reassessment actually.
I think that a movie's status as a legendary disaster is a feature of its history (production, cost, ambition, early reviews, box office, effect on the principles' careers) rather than its quality. HG was probably maligned unfairly, but maligned it was.
   33. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 06, 2019 at 11:18 AM (#5877111)
Firm
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Reds
The Parallax View

Tentative
Heaven Can Wait
Splendor in the Grass

I also considered Ishtar. I’m open to suggestions!

I would avoid Splendor. A lot of overacting and Beatty does his worst James Dean impression. I really like The Fortune, a comedy directed by Mike Nichols with Jack Nicholson and Stockard Channing.

Really glad you saw and like Hud. Great movie. My brother is in Ishtar. He had a small role in beginning in LA scenes.
   34. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 06, 2019 at 11:20 AM (#5877112)

It is not a disaster, but it is a overblown movie. Too long and meandering.
   35. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 06, 2019 at 11:23 AM (#5877113)
Gates of Heaven, by Errol Morris, is a terrific movie.
   36. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: September 06, 2019 at 11:28 AM (#5877114)
Having taken delivery within the last few days of Leatherface's final (so far) album, Stormy Petrel from 2010, I feel the need to reassess the rest of their discography, which I'd basically stopped paying attention to after LP. No. 3, Mush, way back in 1991. Assuming the things they released (in between a breakup or two) in the intervening 19 years weren't absolute crap (I've either got them or have -- in the case of the Mush follow-up, Minx, the vinyl of which I sold on eBay a dozen or so years ago -- them on order), they probably belong near the top of the punk heap from the last 3 decades. Hellacious band.
   37. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: September 06, 2019 at 11:33 AM (#5877116)
Excellent
Cool Hand Luke
Hud
The Hustler

Very Good
The Verdict

Okay
Slap Shot

Wow, I think Slap Shot is by far the best of those movies (haven't seen Hud)

Cool Hand Luke is a good film, but the message is mixed. Sure Luke looks cool with all his rebellion, but it gets him killed, and ruins George Kennedy's life by getting him another long sentence when he was almost out of jail.
   38. jmurph Posted: September 06, 2019 at 11:34 AM (#5877117)
Having taken delivery within the last few days of Leatherface's final (so far) album, Stormy Petrel from 2010, I feel the need to reassess the rest of their discography, which I'd basically stopped paying attention to after LP. No. 3, Mush, way back in 1991. Assuming the things they released (in between a breakup or two) in the intervening 19 years weren't absolute crap, they probably belong near the top of the punk heap from the last 3 decades. Hellacious band.

I was really into the singer's solo 10" for a while but haven't listened in like 17 or 18 years at this point. Listening now and it's solid.
   39. vortex of dissipation Posted: September 06, 2019 at 02:24 PM (#5877187)
“Call Me When It All Goes Wrong”, a fine new song from The Rails, the band led by the married duo of Kami Thompson, daughter of Richard and Linda Thompson, and James Walbourne, who also serves as the lead guitarist for The Pretenders. There’s definitely more than a little of her father’s sound in their music.
   40. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: September 06, 2019 at 02:28 PM (#5877188)
Kami Thompson, daughter of Richard and Linda Thompson,

So that's at least 2 kids of theirs practicing the family tradition of music. I saw their son, Teddy, as a solo opener for the Old 97s about 7 or 8 years ago in Birmingham (Alabama, not UK). He was pretty darned good.
   41. JJ1986 Posted: September 06, 2019 at 02:33 PM (#5877192)
I had Mickey One out on disc from Netflix for over a year at one point. It's not very good.
   42. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: September 06, 2019 at 02:47 PM (#5877197)
I was really into the singer's solo 10" for a while but haven't listened in like 17 or 18 years at this point. Listening now and it's solid.

I need to download those tracks from, I guess, Amazon, or maybe Bandcamp (but it's *sob* $2 moooooooorrrrre!). And I guess download the audio from the Pope & Jesse. (both with Stubbs) LPs off YouTube, since those aren't particularly cheap or otherwise available. *sigh*
   43. jmurph Posted: September 06, 2019 at 02:56 PM (#5877200)
I need to download those tracks from, I guess, Amazon, or maybe Bandcamp (but it's *sob* $2 moooooooorrrrre!). And I guess download the audio from the Pope & Jesse. (both with Stubbs) LPs off YouTube, since those aren't particularly cheap or otherwise available. *sigh*

I found the 10" songs on youtube (I've closed the tab, but just googling the song titles worked for me). Obviously not a permanent solution but if you just wanted to check them out, they're available.
   44. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 06, 2019 at 05:35 PM (#5877262)
I keep mixing up Heaven Can Wait with Heaven's Gate
. . . .
However, both of those films are undoubtedly inferior to the superb Gates of Heaven.

None of which are as good as "Stairway to Heaven" (though citing the American-ized title for Powell & Pressburger's "A Matter of Life and Death" may be cheating).

But let's just end the debate with "All Good Dogs Go to Heaven."
   45. Omineca Greg Posted: September 06, 2019 at 09:08 PM (#5877280)
Mickey One is an interesting film to watch. It's absolute garbage, but if you go in with lowered expectations, you might do alright.

The short take is that in 1965 Arthur Penn was hired to make a French New Wave style movie, but in Hollywood. It's poorly conceived, a terrible movie in fact. Beatty thought it sucked right from the get go, and although he was proven right, it's also fair to say that if your lead has no idea what he's supposed to be doing, you get into one of those self-fulfilling prophecy dealies. Penn eventually disavowed it, but more along the lines of "I know what I was going for, and it just didn't work out." But there's two reasons someone might still want to watch this stinko. And believe me, it sucks.

1. It's fascinating to watch a stinko movie made by talented people. The lighting, the cinematography, the editing, they're flat out excellent. The people who were hired to carry out the technical film making aspect of the production knew what they were doing. I watched it, and even as the rest of my family was saying, "WTF is this crap" (which is a fair assessment), I was mesmerised by how hard people had laboured on it, and the level of detail of some of that work. A lot of bad movies are bad from top to bottom, not all of course, but Mickey One succeeds in the most esoteric and obscure ways, while completely failing in some of the most basic concepts of film making, and every concept of storytelling.

2. There are revisionist contrarians who actually like it. That's crazy to me, everyone who was involved with making it said it was bad. "Ooops. Sorry...You can't win them all", but there's people now who love it, and think it's profound. The film's very arty, it's a little pretentious, but mostly it's relying on the Americanisation of French New Wave to be enchanting to the viewer all on it's own, without a clearly interpretable or emotionally satisfying narrative. Things like that can work, but they didn't in this case. I think it's incredible that every last person involved with it disowned it, yet 50 years later, it can have 6.4 on IMDb. That's what tricked me; "Hey, I like arty ####, 6.4 isn't bad, for people like me who can forgive self-indulgence if there's an offsetting uniqueness or occasional brilliance, I'll probably like it." I couldn't have been more wrong; I should have listened to the people that made it, and not the internet cognoscenti.

I really don't know too many people who've seen it, I'd love to have a conversation with someone who thought it was marvellous.

The soundtrack kicks ass. Eddie Sauter and Stan Getz reprising their work on Focus.
   46. Dock Ellis Posted: September 06, 2019 at 09:49 PM (#5877293)
I spent most of the week listening to The Breeders "No Aloha" on repeat, basically just waiting for the second half of the song.
   47. Dock Ellis Posted: September 06, 2019 at 10:00 PM (#5877302)
Cool Hand Luke is my favorite movie. The dude lived and died without anyone ever telling him what to do. Also the scene where Paul Newman plays Plastic Jesus on the ukulele when his mother dies breaks my fcking heart every goddam time. Agreed that the film has been "life-changing" in how it has shaped and informed my thinking and viewpoint.
   48. Dock Ellis Posted: September 06, 2019 at 10:03 PM (#5877307)
Also Slap Shot has a laugh or two but I don't think it's very funny. Comedy is obviously subjective but the laugh-to-minute ratio on that one is pretty low for me. But Newman is plenty enjoyable as a leading man and the movie doesn't suck.
   49. Dock Ellis Posted: September 06, 2019 at 10:52 PM (#5877328)
Hud is fcuking great. No one gets out of life alive. Loved The Verdict too, I believe Beatty and Redford wimped out and turned the role down because they thought playing an alcoholic shithead was bad for their handsomeboy image. I'm also a big Nobody's Fool fan.
   50. Dock Ellis Posted: September 06, 2019 at 10:55 PM (#5877331)
Thanks for The Rails rec, btw. That's a good tune.
   51. Dock Ellis Posted: September 06, 2019 at 10:57 PM (#5877332)
My favorite Lou Reed song has always been "Can I Kick It?"
   52. phredbird Posted: September 06, 2019 at 11:17 PM (#5877335)

47, it was a banjo. but a mere quibble, an excellent movie, one of my faves too. but i think there were too many prison movie tropes in cool hand luke, it hurt its attempts at verisimilitude.

so i do prefer hud, it's edgier than cool hand. newman usually has a pivotal scene in his movies where he raises his voice and delivers some kind of rhetorical knockout punch and you get to stare into his ice blue eyes. in hud he was playing an unsympathetic character having a showdown with his father and he just kills it. it doesn't hurt that he's playing against melvyn douglas, a vastly underrated actor. it also didn't hurt that patricia neal was in hud too. one of her best movies.

i've watched mickey one a couple of times, it's a mess, but i watch it because of what greg said. it looks and sounds like an absurdist masterpiece, but at the end you're kind of shaking your head. beatty does a good acting job playing a lousy comedian, that's not as easy as it sounds. it was the script that let him down.
   53. Dock Ellis Posted: September 06, 2019 at 11:19 PM (#5877336)
thank you.
   54. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 06, 2019 at 11:20 PM (#5877337)
"Slap Shot" is only nominally a comedy. From time to time, the Hansen Brothers show up to interrupt the naturalistically filmed story of dead-end careers, dead-end relationships and the relentless tedium and no way out unfulfillment amid the economic ruins of a dying blue collar town.
   55. Dock Ellis Posted: September 06, 2019 at 11:23 PM (#5877340)
That's a very good way of putting it. I never understood why Slap Shot is always on lists of Best Very Funny Movies Ever next to Airplane and Mel Brooks flicks.
   56. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 07, 2019 at 08:02 AM (#5877350)
"Slap Shot" is only nominally a comedy. From time to time, the Hansen Brothers show up to interrupt the naturalistically filmed story of dead-end careers, dead-end relationships and the relentless tedium and no way out unfulfillment amid the economic ruins of a dying blue collar town.

I don't disagree, but I also think the ending, with the on ice strip show amidst a team wide brawl, leaves an outsized comedic impression on many viewers. And even if it is not quite an LOL-moment, it is very silly in a glorious kind of way.
   57. Rennie's Tenet Posted: September 07, 2019 at 09:37 AM (#5877353)
Warren Beatty: don't rule out his early TV work on Dobie Gillis. I'll recommend "Best Dressed Man" and "Boy Actor." Per imdb, he was in five episodes, though it seems like more. And you get Tuesday Weld when she was 16.
   58. Omineca Greg Posted: September 07, 2019 at 10:12 AM (#5877354)
Come for the Reverend, Stay for the Joy Harmon

Say something wrong (spend a night in the box)
Stay out too long (spend a night in the box)
Stray out of line (spend a night in the box)
Sway outta time (spend a night in the box)
Veer those eyes at curly blonde locks
Spend a night in the box (spend a night in the box)

She's a beautiful girl and she's dear to me
But there's certain little way that I gotta be
Like Cool Hand Luke I'm shaking it here
'Boss' she calls and I'm all ears

Straight up and down (spend a night in the box)
She doesn't utter a sound (spend a night in the box)
When she's mad at me (spend a night in the box)
I gotta pay the fee (spend a night in the box)
Like Cool Hand Luke I'm busting rocks
Spend a night in the box (a night in the box)

Stayed up all night and watched Cool Hand Luke
He ate fifty eggs and didn't even puke
My flappin' tongue has sealed my fate
What we got is a failure to communicate

Say her friend is cute (spend a night in the box)
That was beaut' (spend a night in the box)
Forget Valentines day (spend a night in the box)
Have eyes that stray (spend a night in the box)
Where sanity comes in ticks and tocks
spend a night in the box (a night in the box)

She's a beautiful girl and she's dear to me
But there's certain little way that I gotta be
Like Cool Hand Luke I'm shaking it here
'Boss' she calls and I'm all ears

Straight up and down (spend a night in the box)
She doesn't utter a sound (spend a night in the box)
When she's mad at me (spend a night in the box)
I gotta pay the fee (spend a night in the box)
Like Cool Hand Luke I'm busting rocks
Spend a night in the box (a night in the box)

Heath
   59. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: September 07, 2019 at 10:18 AM (#5877355)
It is not a disaster, but it is a overblown movie. Too long and meandering.

At least it would be right up there when chisoxcollector gets around to Kris Kristofferson month!

But yeah, there are true moments of greatness in HG, but also periods of almost interminable faffing about.

KK:

Heaven's Gate
Flashpoint
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
A Star is Born
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
   60. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 07, 2019 at 10:56 AM (#5877361)
Semi Tough and The Sailor who fell from Grace are both good KK movies. He is also in Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, but he is not the lead. He had a small role in very good Lone Star.
   61. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 07, 2019 at 11:22 AM (#5877366)
So, when that Ringer list of Disney songs came out, I was pretty hard on A Whole New World. Having now watched it about 30 times in the last month or so (kids picked it up and have not put it down, no complaints!), I want to walk back all of my criticism. Great song, definitely worth the top ten.
   62. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: September 07, 2019 at 11:43 AM (#5877368)
Never seen either of those first two Swoboda, I excluded Bring Me the Head for the reason you noted, as well as Lone Star, which, yes, is pretty damn good.

I hadn't thought of Flashpoint in years, but I remember that playing non-stop when we first got HBO: KK, Treat Williams, (guesses) Rip Torn?

Checks ... RIP TORN!

Gives brain a big hug.
   63. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: September 07, 2019 at 11:47 AM (#5877369)
   64. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 07, 2019 at 11:54 AM (#5877371)
So, when that Ringer list of Disney songs came out, I was pretty hard on A Whole New World. Having now watched it about 30 times in the last month or so (kids picked it up and have not put it down, no complaints!), I want to walk back all of my criticism. Great song, definitely worth the top ten.
If this is what having kids does to a man...
   65. vortex of dissipation Posted: September 07, 2019 at 11:54 AM (#5877372)
Thanks for The Rails rec, btw. That's a good tune.

Glad that you enjoyed it.
   66. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: September 07, 2019 at 12:28 PM (#5877375)
I spent most of the week listening to The Breeders "No Aloha" on repeat,

Reminds me of when I got out of the hospital for necrotic bowel removal at the beginning of 7/15 & was feeling quite low; I put the Dollyrots' Get Weird on repeat on the ghetto blaster here in my master bedroom & left it going for something like 3 entire days, sleep time included. For years & years my go-to during times of depression-bordering-on-despair* was the first half of the Sisters of Mercy's Floodland, but for some reason the Dollyrots hit the right spot 3ish years ago.

*Which -- hope I'm not jinxing myself here -- see to be much fewer & farther between since then; thank you, quetiapine fumarate & escitalopram. Better living through chemistry!
   67. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: September 07, 2019 at 12:44 PM (#5877378)
Which, of course, utterly shattered what I'm pretty sure was my previous record (no pun intended) of becoming obsessed with the Go-Go's' Our Lips are Sealed about 25 years ago & playing it probably 30-odd times straight. That was a bit of a commitment, since I was dealing with the 7" & my turntable, rather than a CD. (Found out just a few years ago that Fun Boy Three's rather downcast original is considerably better; I somehow had never encountered it till doing so on YouTube.)
   68. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: September 07, 2019 at 01:13 PM (#5877384)
This was, of course, early in the a.m., after my night city editor shift ended probably not too long past midnight. Being single has its privileges.
   69. Omineca Greg Posted: September 07, 2019 at 01:17 PM (#5877385)
I'm pretty sure was my previous record (no pun intended) of becoming obsessed with the Go-Go's' Our Lips are Sealed about 25 years ago & playing it probably 30-odd times straight...

That's a great song, it's difficult to only listen to it once. It's 2:45 of pop genius. That song is so great that when I'm watching the video, and about two minutes into it when the Go-Go's jump into the fountain at Santa Monica and Wilshire and start frolicking around, dripping wet fabric becoming transparent and clinging to their young nubile bodies as they splash each other, smiling, giggling and batting their eyelashes, I don't even get distracted from their music. That's how great that song is.

Found out just a few years ago that Fun Boy Three's rather downcast original is considerably better

It's great too, but ultimately I disagree with you there. It's written by Wiedlin and Hall, so you can't really call either version a "cover" in the strictest sense, but the Go-Go's version came out first.
   70. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: September 07, 2019 at 01:41 PM (#5877392)
Well, duh. Could've sworn I'd read differently. Clearly not.

The FB3 version sounds almost like Robert Smith sang it (though not nearly as much as Come On Eileen does). And at the time Terry Hall pretty much looked like New Order's Gillian Gilbert. An all-star lineup in one body!
   71. Omineca Greg Posted: September 07, 2019 at 02:07 PM (#5877395)
I'd never really thought of it before, but each version captures a different aspect of the lyrics.

The Go-Go's play up the giddiness of the blossoming of love, and the defiant "let their tongues wag, and to hell with the consequences" attitude, which to be honest has led to probably millions of bad decisions over the history of humanity.

Fun Boy 3 is more about creeping dread, paranoid almost. It doesn't make a whirlwind affair sound fun at all, or a little fun, fun enough to do, but that repercussions have to be weighed into the thing as well. Pleasure is fleeting, but the fallout can have an extremely long half-life (not that it's a song about nuclear radiation, you're thinking of London Calling. Don't feel bad, people get that one confused with Our Lips Are Sealed all the time). Of course, Terry was the one with the girlfriend he was cheating on, and their version came out later, after the whole thing had played out, so maybe the difference in attitude had more to do with chronology than anything else.

But it is interesting how the same of set of lyrics can withstand such different interpretations, but still be wildly successful songs.
   72. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: September 07, 2019 at 03:16 PM (#5877405)
Semi Tough and The Sailor who fell from Grace are both good KK movies. He is also in Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, but he is not the lead. He had a small role in very good Lone Star.

John Sayles seems to work well with him - Limbo also had KK very good in a small role.

Also, these
Firm
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Reds
The Parallax View

are 100% winners. Seeing them for the first time, you have a lot to look forward to!
All three benefit from the big-screen theater experience, but they're great no matter what.
   73. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: September 07, 2019 at 04:37 PM (#5877417)
Reds happens to be my favorite movie. Period. No doubt my own political leanings (albeit far more in tune with Emma Goldman than John Reed) are part of that, but still.
   74. AndrewJ Posted: September 07, 2019 at 04:51 PM (#5877419)
A couple of weeks ago now, actually late August, but I finally saw HAMILTON, on its opening night in Philly. The nosebleed seats were $129... and yes, it was totally worth it.
   75. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: September 07, 2019 at 05:14 PM (#5877422)
74--awesome
   76. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: September 07, 2019 at 05:32 PM (#5877427)
I have family that had themselves appointed guardian for a neighbor in his 90's. Mention in culture corner because the trigger for this whole thing was that this guy is a big supporter of the local opera and after he missed two straight operas the opera house started asking questions. He was found in a nursing home miles away and once my family found out they knew his lawyer and eventually got him placed in a home near his home and they visit him daily. Crazy.

77. cardsfanboy Posted: September 07, 2019 at 08:17 PM (#5877451)
A couple of weeks ago now, actually late August, but I finally saw HAMILTON, on its opening night in Philly. The nosebleed seats were $129... and yes, it was totally worth it.

Saw Hamilton in St Louis, my gf got the tickets for me, and we were in the nosebleed seats and it was great... A girl at work kept telling me to do the app and try to win tickets... I actually won tickets...got front row tickets(on the aisle...but literally the second row of seats in the theater) ... my gf is not a huge fan of the play, but managed to convince her to go again.... freaking great.(I mean it did cost me $10 per ticket technically...)
   78. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: September 07, 2019 at 09:06 PM (#5877465)
McCabe & Mrs. Miller

I just love this film, peak Beatty, peak Christie, peak Altman, peak Vilmos Zigmond, haunting score by Leonard Cohen, great ensemble.

Obligatory

As Fred said above, catching in the theater was a special, special treat, so see it as big as you can (one of the things that occasionally bugs me about the Friendly Fire Podcast guys is that they'll be discussing a film and casually let slip, "so I was watching this on my phone while I was waiting in the airport for my flight to board" and it just makes me seethe.

79. KB JBAR (trhn) Posted: September 08, 2019 at 09:23 AM (#5877529)
Thanks to 74 i stubhubbed Hamilton tickets for last night. Due to the stories of high ticket prices when it started, It was never particularly on my radar as something I would spend to do. But the secondary market price nearing the end of its run here in Chicago was pretty reasonable for decent orchestra seats. I have some narrative and musical quibbles, but overall I am glad to have gone.

It may have been my seats, but it was loud. I have tinnitus, so I’m sensitive to it, but I wish I would have brought ear plugs.
   80. AndrewJ Posted: September 08, 2019 at 02:39 PM (#5877557)
79>> Didn't mean for you to hurt your ears last night. Sorry.

I was a little suspicious of the Hamilton hype myself when it first opened, but having listened to the album and seen the show in person, I now understand it. I was lucky enough to have performed in high school productions of Guys and Dolls and My Fair Lady, and appreciate how well-written and conceived those works are. Hamilton is of that caliber.
   81. Lassus Posted: September 08, 2019 at 03:08 PM (#5877567)
So I started watching Yellowstone last night, which is fun, if a little overwrought/telenovella out of the gate. A few too many immediate stereotropes, but still fun to see the great West involved in something.

I do wonder how much I would need to watch Succession, now, however. Granted, I've only watched one episode of the former, but is it the same show, different setting? Empire run by aging father, beset on multiple sides by family and competition, with allies and enemies in and out of the family?
   82. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 08, 2019 at 03:25 PM (#5877572)
Add a couple of characters whose allegiances are unclear or fluid-- e.g. a deceptively clueless Sammy Glick, a conniving Evil Stepmother (minus the poison apples, for now)-- and you're basically there.
   83. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: September 08, 2019 at 04:21 PM (#5877590)
   84. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: September 08, 2019 at 04:23 PM (#5877591)
   85. chisoxcollector Posted: September 09, 2019 at 08:12 AM (#5877659)
I started my Warren Beatty project last night with "McCabe & Mrs. Miller". I must start by saying, I'm not a huge Robert Altman fan. Part of it is I just haven't seen a whole lot of his films. And for the most part, I've thought the ones I have seen were pretty good, rather than great. The ones I've seen are The Long Goodbye, The Player, Gosford Park, Ready to Wear, and O.C. and Stiggs. I barely remember the last two, I saw them so long ago.

McCabe & Mrs. Miller felt the same way through it's first half. It was pretty good! The cinematography was amazing, as was the music. But it just wasn't grabbing me. But as the film went on, it finally starting to take hold. I'm still not sure I LOVE it, and I definitely need to watch it again, but it was indeed very good. That ending was something!

I definitely plan on getting to Nashville, Short Cuts, and MASH at some point.
   86. jmurph Posted: September 09, 2019 at 10:13 AM (#5877700)
For the "rock is dead" crowd from that other thread a few days ago:
Steven Hyden @Steven_Hyden
The Tool album sold about about two and a half times more than the Lana Del Rey album in their respective debut weeks.

Poptimism must finally embrace Tool.
   87. jmurph Posted: September 10, 2019 at 11:46 AM (#5878077)
   88. Lassus Posted: September 10, 2019 at 12:01 PM (#5878082)
Some of that seems a bit stock and old person, but it is fun, you are correct. I am saddened that Wim Wender "Lisbon Story" isn't listed for Lisbon. (I mean, nothing is, the city's not on the list.)
   89. jmurph Posted: September 10, 2019 at 12:05 PM (#5878085)
Some of that seems a bit stock and old person

Yeah some of the European ones in particular, I thought, were a bit too predictable (though some are that way for a reason!). But hey, Do the Right Thing for New York could be considered a bold choice.
   90. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: September 10, 2019 at 12:38 PM (#5878092)
For the "rock is dead" crowd from that other thread a few days ago:

On a related note:

The Mongolians are invading America: The Hu are launching a North American tour.
   91. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: September 10, 2019 at 12:43 PM (#5878095)
Also, lifelong Metallica fan here, and I have never understood the hate for Lulu. It is almost impossible to listen to all the way through, but, in pieces, it can be really good. Cheat on Me is way too long, but, I love it anyway. Pumping Blood, the Dragon. good stuff. Honestly, the more straight-forward tracks (ie. Iced Honey) are my least favorite on the album. And, live, it worked fairly well. I am sure there are some Youtube videos of some of their promo performances together.

edit: The S&M 2 shows sound like they were quite good, and, on October 9th, they are being brought to the big screen for one or two nights only: S & M 2 get your tickets
   92. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: September 10, 2019 at 01:10 PM (#5878104)

The Mongolians are invading America: The Hu are launching a North American tour.

#### and yes. I've been waiting for this tour since I heard Wolf Totem and Yuve Yuve Yu.
   93. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: September 10, 2019 at 01:12 PM (#5878106)
#### and yes. I've been waiting for this tour since I heard Wolf Totem and Yuve Yuve Yu.

The tickets for the Cincinnati show are only $21... WITH FEES!
   94. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: September 10, 2019 at 01:17 PM (#5878109)
Was going to see them in the LA area, but the shows are the exact weekend I'm moving to TX.

Luckily there's a show in Dallas on the 26th.

Excited.

You're going to the Cincinnati show on 11/21?
   95. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: September 10, 2019 at 01:22 PM (#5878110)
I think I have to. :-) At the very least this will be something different. Haven't bought tickets yet though.

Plus, I want to see those instruments close up. They look badass.
   96. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: September 10, 2019 at 01:29 PM (#5878113)
Good god. You youngsters and your stupid lawn-getting-off music these days. At least it's not bourgeois twaddle like Jefferson & other musicals & Metallica & such, I guess.

Meanwhile, maybe I'm in one of those all-too-rare moods in which I like just about everything, but damn if I haven't enjoyed the hell out of the recently acquired 2-disc deluxe reissues of Bis' first 3 albums from 1997-2001. Have also taken delivery of their two comeback LPs from 2014 & this year but haven't yet gotten to them.
   97. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: September 10, 2019 at 01:34 PM (#5878117)
You youngsters and your stupid lawn-getting-off music these days.

I am 46. still a youngster compared to you though, gef. ;-)
   98. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: September 10, 2019 at 03:13 PM (#5878143)
twaddle like Jefferson

Which is to say Hamilton. After awhile, all those moldering statesmen start to look alike.
   99. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: September 10, 2019 at 03:15 PM (#5878145)
I am 46. still a youngster compared to you though, gef. ;-)

Man, when I was 46 I'd had tinnitus for only a couple of years, the Waco Brothers' excellent debut, ... To the Last Dead Cowboy, had been out only a few months & the Raincoats' remarkable comeback, Looking in the Shadows, still lay in the future. And that's just off the very tiptop of my (probably pointed) head.

Also, I should note that the latest continuing string of scorchers has my recently mowed yard not only close-cut but looking mostly dead (perfectly fine by me). You may tarry on it if you want; just don't make any sudden movements & startle the feral felines.
   100. Lassus Posted: September 10, 2019 at 03:51 PM (#5878164)
flip
Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dock Ellis
for his generous support.