Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, December 03, 2017

OT - College Football Bowl Spectacular (December 2017 - January 2018)

December 29   8:30 PM  Cotton Bowl            USC v. Ohio State

December 30   4:00 PM  Fiesta Bowl            Penn State v. Washington
              8:00 PM  Orange Bowl            Wisconsin v. Miami

January 1     1:00 PM  Peach Bowl             Central Florida v. Auburn
              5:00 PM  Rose Bowl              Georgia v. Oklahoma
              8:45 PM  Sugar Bowl             Alabama v. Clemson

January 8     8:00 PM  Championship Game      Rose winner v. Sugar winner
Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 03, 2017 at 03:09 PM | 327 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college football, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 
   101. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: December 05, 2017 at 04:16 PM (#5586722)
Right. If tOSU's ONLY loss were the Oklahoma game they'd still be in the playoff ahead of Alabama. If they had beat OK and then lost to Iowa, they'd be in the playoff ahead of Alabama. The reason they're not is that they lost to OK at home, and then shat the bed in Iowa as well.

And if they had scheduled and beat a cupcake instead of OU? There's no way the committee takes Alabama over a 12-1 conference champ with 2 top 10 wins.
   102. SouthSideRyan Posted: December 05, 2017 at 04:21 PM (#5586727)
If they'd beat Mercer instead of losing to OK they'd be in the playoff ahead of Bama.
   103. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 05, 2017 at 04:23 PM (#5586729)
Maybe Mercer should play Iowa as a home and home.
   104. wjones Posted: December 05, 2017 at 04:26 PM (#5586732)
If they had beat Iowa instead of losing to them, they would have gone in.

Say what you will (and I'm sure you will) about Saban, but he hasn't lost to an unranked opponent in years. Seems Meyer does that every year. Heck Dabo has done that the last two years. It's amazing how many of the one loss teams lost to unranked teams.
   105. dlf Posted: December 05, 2017 at 04:33 PM (#5586737)
If they'd beat Mercer instead of losing to OK they'd be in the playoff ahead of Bama.

Maybe. But then they would have had zero meaningful OOC games compared to 'Bama playing an OOC team ranked in the top five when the boys from Tuscaloosa broke their QB.
   106. SoSH U at work Posted: December 05, 2017 at 04:38 PM (#5586746)
Maybe. But then they would have had zero meaningful OOC games compared to 'Bama playing an OOC team ranked in the top five when the boys from Tuscaloosa broke their QB.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that FSU might have been a touch overrated, even when they had their unbroken QB.
   107. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 05, 2017 at 04:58 PM (#5586771)
If Bama had given up 55 in a 30 point loss to Vandy they wouldn’t have made it either.
   108. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 05, 2017 at 05:04 PM (#5586781)
Quarterback aside, FSU's 2017 failings were very similar to 2016's: the offensive line sucked, and the hyped-to-the-moon defense fell on its face the first half of the season before rallying late. Francois is probably the difference between 6-6 and 8-3 (ULM doesn't get rescheduled in that universe), but he would not have turned trash into an elite team.
   109. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 05, 2017 at 05:11 PM (#5586786)
An 8-3 FSU would be ranked and bowl bound. They’d also have beaten Miami.
   110. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: December 05, 2017 at 05:12 PM (#5586789)
In that Meyer does this it is due to his realization that tOSU lacks respect outside of the Buckeye echo chamber, as does the B1G in general.
Which is why tOSU was the highest ranked 2-loss team this season, was top-2 preseason 3 of the last 5 seasons (and top-6 all 5), and pre-season top-10 12 of the last 15 seasons.

Yep, complete lack of respect.
   111. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: December 05, 2017 at 05:13 PM (#5586792)
An 8-3 FSU would be ranked and bowl bound. They’d also have beaten Miami.
6-6 FSU is bowl bound.
   112. Howie Menckel Posted: December 05, 2017 at 05:18 PM (#5586797)
n that Meyer does this it is due to his realization that tOSU lacks respect outside of the Buckeye echo chamber, as does the B1G in general.

in retrospect, the 38-0 and 31-0 losses by the Big Ten in the playoffs the last two years might not have helped the cause. might have been tough to sell any second-half TV ads this year with the Buckeyes in there.
;)
   113. I am going to be Frank Posted: December 05, 2017 at 05:18 PM (#5586798)
So it's still funny that Tennessee still doesn't have a coach.
   114. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: December 05, 2017 at 05:19 PM (#5586799)
If Bama had given up 55 in a 30 point loss to Vandy they wouldn’t have made it either.

In what scenario? Do they still lose to Auburn? Then no, they wouldn't have. Do they beat Auburn and go to the SEC Championship and lose to Georgia? Then no, they wouldn't have. Do they beat Georgia? Then yes, they most certainly would.

Clemson lost to 4-8 Syracuse and is the #1 seed. Had Miami beaten Clemson they would have gone and Miami lost to 5-7 Pitt. OU lost to 7-5 Iowa St.
   115. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 05, 2017 at 05:24 PM (#5586801)
6-6 FSU is bowl bound.

A real bowl. Not the damned Independence Bowl. Ain't nobody excited about going to Shreveport.
   116. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 05, 2017 at 05:28 PM (#5586803)
In what scenario? Do they still lose to Auburn? Then no, they wouldn't have. Do they beat Auburn and go to the SEC Championship and lose to Georgia? Then no, they wouldn't have. Do they beat Georgia? Then yes, they most certainly would.

I think "losing to Vandy by 55 and then dropping the conf Championship to UGA" would be the closest analog to tOSU's losses. You can replace Vandy with South Carolina or Ole Miss if you want to oversell Iowa's talent.
   117. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 05, 2017 at 05:28 PM (#5586804)
Taggart to FSU. Here's betting Oregon fills the position before Tennessee.
   118. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: December 05, 2017 at 05:48 PM (#5586824)
I think "losing to Vandy by 55 and then dropping the conf Championship to UGA" would be the closest analog to tOSU's losses. You can replace Vandy with South Carolina or Ole Miss if you want to oversell Iowa's talent.

That's reasonable, but there's no way they get in under that scenario, and not because of the bad loss. If you want to make conference championships meaningless, start inviting conference champ losers.
   119. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 05, 2017 at 06:04 PM (#5586837)
That's reasonable, but there's no way they get in under that scenario, and not because of the bad loss. If you want to make conference championships meaningless, start inviting conference champ losers.

Sure. It's a hypothetical. It doesn't line up perfectly. The point is that tOSU made their bed themselves. To move the comp off of Bama, UGA gave themselves zero room to wiggle when they lost at Auburn. They had to win out from that point forward, and if they had lost given up 55 to UK or Tech and lost by 30 following that loss, no amount of "winning the SEC Championship" was going to to make up for that.
   120. cmd600 Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:43 PM (#5586891)
You obviously don't agree.

Obviously. Mostly because arguments like
It was just as good enough.
with nothing actually behind it seem completely unmoving.

Looking at Oklahoma's resume compared to the top one loss team in the opening CFP rankings - Notre Dame best win to worst, and then the loss:

USC v Ohio St
MSU v Ks St
NC St v Texas
BC v T Tech
UNC v Baylor
Temple v Tulane
Miami v UTEP
Georgia v Iowa St

ND definitely has more head to head resume "wins", and after that top game, I think I would take all seven resume lines for ND over Oklahoma's. The discussion then comes down to the subjective stuff, how much more important is beating Ohio St instead of USC rather than Miami over UTEP? Oklahoma certainly belonged in the conversation, and they were, but nothing at that point demanded they be in.

12-1 with a road win over the #5 team in the nation.

This is not a response to what you quoted right before it. Oklahoma's defense wasn't good, and the committee was not wrong in their criticism. Full stop. That still doesn't mean it should absolutely prevent the commmittee from selecting them, and the committee didn't. The only harm here was completely perceived, and had no actual effect.

Since you like S&P+ so much, OU's lowest win expectancy in any game this year was 62%. Clemson's was 47. Bama's was 5%. UGA's was 1%.

Definitely interesting data points, and shouldn't be ignored. But S&P+ knew this and still put Oklahoma behind the others.

In four years of the committee, as I've already said, the Big 12 got a team in when they no doubt deserved it, missed when that was the deserved result as well, and got one in of the two years that there was some debate. It's certainly worth hearing the argument, but it is nowhere near clear that the committee underrates the Big 12, and arguments that don't just begin, but also end at "was clearly superior to everyone else's", don't make it any more clear.
   121. cmd600 Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:48 PM (#5586892)
You can replace Vandy with South Carolina or Ole Miss if you want to oversell Iowa's talent.

Iowa St S&P+: 44
Ole Miss: 46
Iowa: 47
S Carolina: 66
Vandy: 81
Pitt: 82
Cuse: 89
   122. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 05, 2017 at 08:16 PM (#5586900)
with nothing actually behind it seem completely unmoving.

I'm not willing to parse three teams schedules from week ten. I don't care all that much if you agree with me, I'm happy to simply disagree. Mike asked me something, I answered, you took issue with it. If my effort and research isn't sufficient for you, that's fine.

The discussion then comes down to the subjective stuff, how much more important is beating Ohio St instead of USC.

On the road vs at home. Pretty important.

You've also left out Clemson, who had a worse loss and a better second win but not much else.

But S&P+ knew this and still put Oklahoma behind the others.

Unlike you, I don't have complete and full faith in S&P+ being the beginning and end of the conversation.
   123. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:38 PM (#5586971)
Shea Patterson is apparently transferring to UM. Was just made official a couple minutes ago according to the insiders. Might be one of several Ole Miss players coming up north.

It was a #### year for Michigan, or rather it was a good year mired in gawdawful, horse #### QB play. This is great news for Michigan. He will be eligible immediately.
   124. Athletic Supporter wants to move your money around Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:41 PM (#5587008)
Can someone explain to me why Willie Taggart is coaching the Seminoles now?

ISTM that FSU now has a significantly less successful / pedigreed coach than Miami and Florida, which doesn't seem to mirror recent success. Maybe Taggart is a mastermind but I just don't really see why he is the guy (granting that FSU kind of got screwed by how things played out timing wise).
   125. Mike A Posted: December 06, 2017 at 12:40 AM (#5587014)
Can someone explain to me why Willie Taggart is coaching the Seminoles now?

Well, there's a few reasons. I'll hit the big one first...

I remember someone asked Bobby Bowden once whether he'd rather be a great coach or a great recruiter. Bobby just laughed and said great recruiter all the way. And that's what FSU is (likely) getting in Taggart. He put together excellent classes at Oregon/USF and knows Florida very, very well. So he should be able to keep getting FSU those top 10 classes which is a big part of the battle.

Offensively, Taggart should open it up more. Though I like Jimbo as a coach, his methodical, slow offense was sometimes hard to watch. Yeah, Jimbo's offense kept FSU in games, but it didn't seem to be the best use of FSU's talent. At the least, FSU should be more exciting under Taggart, which I think the boosters and administration wanted.

Defensively, it's no secret FSU fans had turned on DC Charles Kelly. Though the defense got better as the season went on, there was certainly the sense that it underachieved the last few years considering all the high NFL draft picks on the roster. Taggart appears to be bringing his DC Jim Leavitt with him to Tallahassee, and Leavitt is considered a good one.

That's not to say this hire is without risk. As noted, Taggart does not have a lot of experience at the top level. And there is some question as to his coaching acumen. But, I'm optimistic, as Taggart is generally considered by many to be one of the best up-and-coming coaches (like Frost). Taggart was the guy I wanted.

What's crazy is this is FSU's first head coaching search since I was in grade school back in the 70s. So it's certainly a bit of uncharted territory.
   126. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 06, 2017 at 01:10 AM (#5587016)
Clemson lost to 4-8 Syracuse and is the #1 seed.

As surprising as this was (I did watch this Friday night game), I said immediately after the tOSU loss to Iowa that we would all go to our grave wondering how the F that ever happened. To me it was a total disqualifying defeat. Though, I agree, turn either of tOSU's two losses into one loss, I'm positive they are in the playoff.

One aside, related to losing to bad teams, in 25 years as a head coach, Tom Osborne lost one game to a team that finished with a losing record. at Iowa State in '92, 19-10, Tommie Frazier was a freshman, Iowa State came out in the wishbone. I had never seen goalposts come down so fast in my life. I know Saban lost some odd games (ULM in his first year at Bama, to UAB at LSU, I think those were +.500 teams), I'm guessing he doesn't have more than 3 or 4 to losing teams, probably while at Michigan State. The only WTF loss I remember OU having under Barry Switzer was to Kansas in 1984. Had OU defeated Washington in the OB that season, they were about the only plausible candidate to deny BYU the national championship that season.
   127. SouthSideRyan Posted: December 06, 2017 at 02:08 AM (#5587020)
Saban lost to a sub .500 team in each of his first 5 seasons as a head coach, and none in the following 17 years.

'90 Navy(Toledo)
'95 Wisconsin(Also tied sub 500 Purdue)
'96 Louisville
'97 Northwestern
'98 Minnesota

ETA: Forgot how underwhelming Saban's record at MSU was. 34-24-1, 0-3 in Bowls.
   128. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 06, 2017 at 07:52 AM (#5587036)
Saban suffered his two biggest beatings in 1995-96, in 50-10, 55-14 losses to Tom Osborne. I think MSU allowed a school record 666 yds in the 1995 game, and then only 296 the following yr at Lincoln.
   129. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 09, 2017 at 03:03 PM (#5589353)
Army-Navy. In the snow.
   130. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 09, 2017 at 04:37 PM (#5589381)
Navy missed two great chances that would've blown the game open. Overthrow of a pass off a reverse, and then Perry kept the ball for a two-yard gain on the third down right before the half when a pitch probably would've gone the whole 47 yards.
   131. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 09, 2017 at 06:14 PM (#5589406)
And the game ends with Navy shooting itself in the dick. Two false starts, conservative calls instead of a genuine attempt to make up the yardage, and a 48-yard kick drifts just wide.
   132. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 09, 2017 at 06:25 PM (#5589410)
Damn, that was one great ####### game. That Navy kicker was about two yards wide of replicating one of the most dramatic field goals in history.
   133. cmd600 Posted: December 09, 2017 at 07:43 PM (#5589426)
Unlike you, I don't have complete and full faith in S&P+ being the beginning and end of the conversation.

I may have too much faith in it, but I feel much more comfortable with my consistency in using it, rather than trying to pick and choose parts solely based on if they confirm what I believed beforehand. But I'm sure like only one of us being willing to actually look at the data before making accusations, this is simply just an agree to disagree thing.
   134. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 16, 2017 at 02:48 PM (#5593760)
As I see the Citrus Bowl at maybe 10% capacity for Western Kentucky-Georgia State, it dawns on me that watching all these dreadful games every year is stupid. Really, really stupid.

Though the first half of Sugar Bowl, Jr. was not without its charms.
   135. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 16, 2017 at 05:00 PM (#5593820)
Thanks, Oregon. This was supposed to be the one shot at a genuinely good game until December 28.
   136. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 16, 2017 at 05:12 PM (#5593823)
Well, maybe the botched Statue of Liberty ("Damn you"?) play will turn things around.
   137. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 16, 2017 at 05:16 PM (#5593825)
That's officially the craziest end to a half I've ever seen.
   138. manchestermets Posted: December 22, 2017 at 06:13 PM (#5597015)
Well, the <a href="https://twitter.com/tjacobson92/status/944314380728102912">colour scheme<a> for the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl is ambitious.
   139. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 23, 2017 at 01:20 PM (#5597115)
The number of bowl tie-ins really needs to be cut way back. It's a joke that ranked G5 teams have literally no path to a decent matchup outside of the NY6 auto bid because the P5 monopolizes all the second- and third-tier bowls. The AAC, as the undisputed king of the G5, gets two games against the worst conference, two against the second-worst, one against the conference that immediately follows it in the pecking order, and two against the lowest rung of P5 bowl teams. It was a stroke of tremendous good fortune that a perch as lofty as the Liberty Bowl was available for Memphis because of the SEC's failure to fill its slate, and that still only gets it a date with 7-5 ISU.
   140. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 23, 2017 at 03:50 PM (#5597132)
I may have too much faith in it, but I feel much more comfortable with my consistency in using it, rather than trying to pick and choose parts solely based on if they confirm what I believed beforehand

I understand the inclination on this website to default to this argument. In baseball analysis, the effort to parse the uber-stats lends itself to bias and self fulfillment.

S&P+ has not been subjected to the scrutiny of those baseball stats nor does the college football season have a large enough sample size to simply accept the final product as the best available analysis, particularly when the creator often parses it himself for analysis (as you are surely aware) and when the stat does not purport to identify the 4 most qualified teams for the playoffs.

I can't think of a more simpleminded, anti-intellectual way to analyze this sport than to simply point to S&P+ as the end-all-discussion data point. And that is coming from someone who follows the stat weekly and reads just about everything Bill Connelly writes about the sport and the stat.

Anyway, I've stopped posting on the baseball board because I don't have the interest in getting into data intensive arguments about minutiae. I'm certainly not going to take that up here just because you find my position irritating.
   141. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 23, 2017 at 03:58 PM (#5597134)
Hell of an end to USF-Tech.
   142. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 23, 2017 at 04:22 PM (#5597140)
Reminiscent of USF-UCF.
   143. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 23, 2017 at 05:47 PM (#5597167)
Rashaad Penny has 177 yards on 7 carries. 3 TDs, which almost seems kind of low.
   144. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 23, 2017 at 05:49 PM (#5597168)
Reminiscent of USF-UCF.

Sure was. Glad Strong got win #10. Although I also wouldn't have minded if Tech had won one for the Big 12. USF seemed like the better team.

I hope Tech just keeps running Kingsbury out there. I don't really want them to be competitive ever again.
   145. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 23, 2017 at 06:41 PM (#5597183)
Army goes for 2 and takes a 1 point lead. SDSU has 18 seconds for a field goal.
   146. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 23, 2017 at 11:16 PM (#5597242)
For a non-marquee Bowl game, SDSU v Army was as good as it gets. Great football game. At one point the TOP was 33 min Army to 8 for SDSU. I don't think Army punted, and SDSU did twice all game. Army also had a 21 play 47 yard drive which ended on downs. The final Army offensive drive was masterful, and I'm so glad to see Army go for two. In OT, I can't see that being a favorable Army matchup.
   147. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: December 24, 2017 at 01:17 PM (#5597271)
Army also had a 21 play 47 yard drive

That's like unmathematical! Anybody have any idea of most plays in a drive, college and/or pro? I did a quick google search and could not find a direct answer.
   148. stanmvp48 Posted: December 24, 2017 at 05:17 PM (#5597299)
Who was doing the color commentary on the Tech/S Florida game. Generally worthless and did not know who had called time out with six seconds left.
   149. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 24, 2017 at 08:53 PM (#5597312)
When the ball carrier's propping himself up with one hand inches shy of the goal line and is extending the ball two feet in front of that with the other hand, the evidence is conclusive that the ball is over the line whether or not there's a camera positioned directly on the line.
   150. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: December 25, 2017 at 01:48 AM (#5597329)
That's like unmathematical! Anybody have any idea of most plays in a drive, college and/or pro? I did a quick google search and could not find a direct answer.
I know this is a joke. But, once you include penalties (in particular automatic first downs), anything is possible. the amazing thing about that drive was that it really didn't rely on penalties. It was 16 plays for 56 yards (no penalties), followed by a 4 and out (for -9 yds) with a 10-yd offensive penalty in the mix, for a total of 20 plays for 47 yds.

FWIW I've seen a few drives of over 20 plays in the NFL, without actively seeking them out. So, while 20 is certainly quite rare it's not unheard of. This wiki article says that 26 was the most in NCAA as of 2004.

Edit: For the NFL, the Saints had a 24-play drive in 2007: http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=271007018
   151. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 28, 2017 at 04:57 PM (#5598258)
Virginia with a Ted Ginn Special, returning the opening kick and then rolling over and dying. No team that plays Georgia Tech every year should ever look so inept against the triple option, particularly with this long to prepare. Three defenders zero in on the quarterback and leave the pitch man by his lonesome. Or one takes the quarterback, a second gets wiped out by a lead blocker, and the third cuts inside the block and takes himself out of the play as the pitch man runs around the corner. Rinse and repeat dozens of times. And then the offense was somehow worse.
   152. stanmvp48 Posted: December 28, 2017 at 07:45 PM (#5598304)
Zero complete passes for Navy. One attempt
   153. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 28, 2017 at 08:42 PM (#5598319)
Jesus Christ, Hokies. 3rd-and-11, they run, and you still can't get a stop? That's almost as bad as the botched zone read on 1st-and-goal from inside the one.
   154. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 28, 2017 at 09:29 PM (#5598332)
Kenny Hill's eligibility cannot expire soon enough for my taste.
   155. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 28, 2017 at 09:33 PM (#5598335)
Army goes for 2 and takes a 1 point lead. SDSU has 18 seconds for a field goal.

By far the Bowl of the season so far. I was literally yelling at the TV "GO FOR TWO! THIS IS AMERICA!!" and then they did and for a minute I forgot how stupid my fellow citizens are.
   156. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 28, 2017 at 10:22 PM (#5598349)
TCU had three timeouts and let about 20 seconds elapse after getting the stop on third down before using one. What kind of amateur hour stuff is this?
   157. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 28, 2017 at 10:24 PM (#5598350)
Coming back from commercial the clock gets adjusted so it was only 12 seconds wasted. Point stands.
   158. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 28, 2017 at 10:56 PM (#5598365)
Joey Galloway has clearly given more thought to end-of-half approaches than either Shaw or Patterson, who engaged in dueling clock mismanagement the final 32 seconds.

With TCU facing 4th-and-2 from the Stanford 41 and the clock running, Shaw should've called timeout which presumably would've "forced" super-conservative Patterson to punt rather than risk giving Stanford the ball in a position to complete two passes and try a kick. Then Patterson didn't call timeout until there was only time left for one play, leaving a heave to the end zone as his only option. Call it with 10 seconds, throw an intermediate pass and get a crack at a field goal, with the downside being that Stanford gets one play from 59 yards away. And that one play will be a kneel-down, because if anyone is more conservative than Patterson it's Shaw.
   159. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 28, 2017 at 11:07 PM (#5598371)
There's Bryce Love's 50-yard run for the night.
   160. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 28, 2017 at 11:53 PM (#5598383)
93-yard touchdown pass, three-and-out, 76-yard punt return. This game turns super-fun and TCU takes control in the blink of an eye.
   161. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 29, 2017 at 12:48 AM (#5598399)
Looking forward to ASU Friday. Is Herm even going to watch? Is he breaking down NFL film still?
   162. Meatwad Posted: December 29, 2017 at 02:14 AM (#5598409)
Boiler up!
   163. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 29, 2017 at 11:55 AM (#5598569)
Sun Bowl starts in a little over three hours, which leaves just enough time to watch Burt Reynolds call the 1977 game between Stanford and LSU.
   164. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 29, 2017 at 12:34 PM (#5598591)
That TCU game was pretty cool. That program has a knack for winning dramatic games.

Good day yesterday for the Big 12. Tough one for the ACC and Pac-12.
   165. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 29, 2017 at 01:41 PM (#5598600)
Man, Wake went from looking totally overmatched by A&M to totally in control in about 10 minutes. Tied at 14 now.
   166. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 29, 2017 at 02:14 PM (#5598607)
Turns out the solution to the problem of all your punts getting blocked is to not have to punt.
   167. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 29, 2017 at 02:27 PM (#5598616)
Maybe don't kick field goals, either. Especially when it's 4th-and-2, your offense has been humming, and the kick is a season-long attempt.
   168. stanmvp48 Posted: December 29, 2017 at 02:52 PM (#5598622)
600 yards combined offense, shortly before halftime
   169. stanmvp48 Posted: December 29, 2017 at 03:03 PM (#5598624)
691 yards at halftime
   170. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 29, 2017 at 03:06 PM (#5598627)
If I miss the beginning of the Sun Bowl because CBS is sticking with the end of a 30-point basketball game...
   171. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 29, 2017 at 03:06 PM (#5598629)
A&M has 313 passing yards and 306 total yards. Amazing.

The 3rd down numbers for both offenses (4-11 and 3-9) are pretty low for 691 total yards.
   172. stanmvp48 Posted: December 29, 2017 at 04:06 PM (#5598657)
Now over 900
   173. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 29, 2017 at 05:00 PM (#5598680)
Looks like Wake's gonna score with exactly the wrong amount of time left.
   174. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: December 29, 2017 at 05:09 PM (#5598682)
As someone who grew up watching football in North Carolina, the idea that Wake can go toe to toe like this with Texas A&M seems entirely insane.

EDIT: Go toe to toe and come out the winner. Even more insane.
   175. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 29, 2017 at 05:23 PM (#5598687)
According to the 247 composite, A&M's roster is no. 15 in total talent to Wake's no. 66. Three five-stars and 29 four-stars versus zero of either.
   176. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: December 29, 2017 at 06:12 PM (#5598700)
According to the 247 composite, A&M's roster is no. 15 in total talent to Wake's no. 66. Three five-stars and 29 four-stars versus zero of either.
Those numbers make sense to me. 55-52 doesn't, but I'll take it.

The state of North Carolina is about to finish 4-0 in bowl games.
   177. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 29, 2017 at 06:46 PM (#5598709)
Ghost of a chance that the Sun Bowl would have a wild finish, as ASU scored, recovered an onside kick and scored again to pull within 14, but NC State recovered a second onside kick and converted a big 3rd-and-7 on its way to pushing the lead back to 21 with four minutes left.
   178. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 29, 2017 at 07:43 PM (#5598721)
4th-and-1, and THAT is the ####### play you run?
   179. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 29, 2017 at 07:48 PM (#5598723)
Bailed out by the pick-six.
   180. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 29, 2017 at 08:13 PM (#5598729)
I appreciate Northwestern's willingness to go for fourth downs, but you've gotta come up with better plays. You've got 300-some yards rushing, so there's no reason to #### around with a pass off a reverse in the first instance and then go super-heavy and try to sneak through a mass of humanity in the second.

That said, I think the camera right on the line showed the ball breach the 40.
   181. cmd600 Posted: December 29, 2017 at 10:37 PM (#5598765)
S&P+ has not been subjected to the scrutiny of those baseball stats nor does the college football season have a large enough sample size to simply accept the final product as the best available analysis, particularly when the creator often parses it himself for analysis (as you are surely aware) and when the stat does not purport to identify the 4 most qualified teams for the playoffs.

I can't think of a more simpleminded, anti-intellectual way to analyze this sport than to simply point to S&P+ as the end-all-discussion data point. And that is coming from someone who follows the stat weekly and reads just about everything Bill Connelly writes about the sport and the stat.

This is basically a lot of words for “I’m going to use the same argument made against advanced stats when they first appeared in baseball - they aren’t perfect so I’m throwing the baby out with the bathwater.” If you have a critical analysis of how S&P is failing and why your personal thoughts, backed up by your complete lack of interest in looking at the data, is better, I’m all ears. So far, your arguments are even less scrutinized than S&P+, so pardon me for not being swayed by the guy who strawmans my argument, and then dares call someone anti-intellectual while having no interest in looking at the data.
   182. Tom Nawrocki Posted: December 29, 2017 at 11:32 PM (#5598774)
I appreciate Northwestern's willingness to go for fourth downs, but you've gotta come up with better plays. You've got 300-some yards rushing, so there's no reason to #### around with a pass off a reverse in the first instance and then go super-heavy and try to sneak through a mass of humanity in the second.

I just got back from the game, and that was the worst play call I have ever seen.

NU really got jobbed by the officials, who seemed to be trying to make up for the ridiculous ejection of Kentucky's best running back. The ejection of NU's Paddy Fisher for targeting - on a clean, wrap-up tackle that came nowhere near the ball carrier's head - was one of the most egregious makeup calls I've seen. Fortunately, NU survived it.
   183. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 30, 2017 at 09:13 AM (#5598805)
Only four games today? Boo.
   184. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: December 30, 2017 at 09:37 AM (#5598807)
That said, I think the camera right on the line showed the ball breach the 40.

I thought so too. The announcers didn't seem too convinced, but he reached the ball out and it looked like it was over the stripe. The placement was at least a foot behind that spot.
   185. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 30, 2017 at 10:38 AM (#5598813)
B1G Ten is 5-0 with just Penn State and Wisconsin left, both in games they should win.... though, I think Sparty was the only team facing a higher ranked oppononent.
   186. The Big Red Machine Shall Return! Posted: December 30, 2017 at 11:30 AM (#5598816)
B1G Ten is 5-0 with just Penn State and Wisconsin left, both in games they should win.... though, I think Sparty was the only team facing a higher ranked oppononent.

The B1G also has Michigan versus South Carolina on New Year's Day. They've performed well so far.
   187. The Big Red Machine Shall Return! Posted: December 30, 2017 at 11:31 AM (#5598818)
And what has happened to the Pac12? They are 1-7 in bowl games thus far, with only Washington (versus Penn State) remaining.
   188. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 30, 2017 at 12:27 PM (#5598832)
And what has happened to the Pac12? They are 1-7 in bowl games thus far, with only Washington (versus Penn State) remaining.

I think that performance is pretty consistent with how the conference performed all year. Stanford lost to San Diego St., USC got pummeled by ND, ASU lost to Texas Tech, Arizona lost to Houston, etc. The biggest wins appear to be against A&M, Boise and Stanford whooping ND. The Pac-12 probably wasn't very good this year.
   189. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: December 30, 2017 at 12:28 PM (#5598833)
GO B1G

Conference bowl records through Dec. 29

Big Ten: 5-0
Sun Belt: 4-1
Big 12: 4-2
American: 3-2
ACC: 4-3
Mountain West: 3-3
Independents: 1-1
C-USA: 4-5
MAC: 1-4
Pac-12: 1-7
SEC: 0-3

190. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 30, 2017 at 12:33 PM (#5598836)
UCLA and Wazzu were without their starting quarterbacks. Stanford and Arizona lost thrillers. USC generally outplayed Ohio State, but made ghastly, game-changing mistakes. It's really not as bad as the record looks.
   191. zenbitz Posted: December 30, 2017 at 12:38 PM (#5598837)
All that being said, the pac-12 hasn't been good since Mariota left Oregon. Aside from Qbs, I don't think they are recruiting well.

I am eager to see Ucla under Kelly, though
   192. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: December 30, 2017 at 01:29 PM (#5598847)
Big Ten: 5-0

More like 4-1. Northwestern did everything they could to give the game away but failed.
   193. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 30, 2017 at 01:37 PM (#5598849)
Replay isn't supposed to be used for things that don't have a material effect, e.g., at the end of a long gain, the runner is marked out at the 33 when he was out of bounds with the previous step at the 35. The Gator Bowl was just delayed for several minutes to determine that Lamar Jackson fumbled and recovered at the exact same spot on the field that he'd been called down by contact.
   194. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 30, 2017 at 01:42 PM (#5598850)
I'm going to miss Lamar Jackson. 76 yard QB draw followed by an improvised shovel style pass to score in like 35 seconds right before the half. Incredible.
   195. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 30, 2017 at 01:53 PM (#5598851)
I wish he'd stay for another year. I don't think he's an accurate enough passer to be good in the NFL -- he's not Kyle Boller Josh Allen, but passes like the intercepted out are common -- so I'd just as soon get to watch 13 more games at the level where he's a god.
   196. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 30, 2017 at 02:00 PM (#5598853)
I agree, I doubt the NFL goes well for him. But it's hard to blame him for leaving early. He takes a lot of hits due to his playing style and Petrino is unlikely to put a good defense on the field next year so it's not like he is coming back for a shot at an ACC championship.

And maybe more than any other dual threat QB of recent years, Jackson probably has the athleticism and speed to play elsewhere if he washes out at QB. Obviously Pryor has had some success at WR (before becoming a Redskin!) but I'm not aware of many other recent (say last 5-7 years) college QBs who have been able to become impact players at another position.
   197. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 30, 2017 at 02:33 PM (#5598859)
Julian Edelman was a quarterback at Kent State. The other recent ones have been of the Braxton Miller-Denard Robinson "Ehh..." variety.

Rich Man's Antwaan Randle El would be my hope. Gadget plays galore.
   198. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 30, 2017 at 02:59 PM (#5598861)
I did not know that about Edelman. Was he drafted as a WR?

Alright, game back on. Time to watch the last of Lamar. Sigh. Seems like yesterday he was leaping over Syracuse and introducing himself to the country.
   199. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 30, 2017 at 03:12 PM (#5598865)
That was a pretty fun drive. Lamar did some pretty remarkable things with his feet. The passing game doesn't look great, he missed on at least one throw on that drive and his WRs don't appear to be getting much separation. Ate a lot of clock, got points on the board.
   200. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 30, 2017 at 03:28 PM (#5598869)
I did not know that about Edelman. Was he drafted as a WR?

I think he might've initially been viewed as a return man. He definitely wasn't a quarterback prospect. Kent State used a run-first spread, and Josh Cribbs was actually the quarterback Edelman succeeded.
Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Sheer Tim Foli
for his generous support.