Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, December 03, 2017

OT - College Football Bowl Spectacular (December 2017 - January 2018)

December 29   8:30 PM  Cotton Bowl            USC v. Ohio State

December 30   4:00 PM  Fiesta Bowl            Penn State v. Washington
              8:00 PM  Orange Bowl            Wisconsin v. Miami

January 1     1:00 PM  Peach Bowl             Central Florida v. Auburn
              5:00 PM  Rose Bowl              Georgia v. Oklahoma
              8:45 PM  Sugar Bowl             Alabama v. Clemson

January 8     8:00 PM  Championship Game      Rose winner v. Sugar winner
Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 03, 2017 at 03:09 PM | 327 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college football, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 4 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4
   301. Meatwad Posted: January 02, 2018 at 12:58 AM (#5599420)
flip
   302. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 02, 2018 at 08:14 AM (#5599431)
Man. Dennis Dodd (CBSSports.com) must have lost some pretty real money on OU/UGA.
   303. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 02, 2018 at 09:44 AM (#5599458)
So, having revisited some of the drive charts and highlights of last night's Rose Bowl, I'm pretty comfortable saying Baker Mayfield was the third most impressive player on Oklahoma's offense, and when UGA came out in the 2nd and made shutting down Anderson (OU's best player by far last night) their top priority, essentially daring Mayfield to beat them with throws, he couldn't.
   304. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: January 02, 2018 at 10:06 AM (#5599475)
For the life of me, I don't know why OU threw a deep pass on third-and-2 at the end of regulation: no upside to that. A run or option allows you to kill the clock or go Hail Mary if you don't get the first down.

305. stanmvp48 Posted: January 02, 2018 at 10:29 AM (#5599488)
The upside is that you win the game if you complete it. Whereas a short completion gives you a first down but leaves you 20 yards from winning. The long pass may be available. In fact, my impression at the time was that it was open and Mayfield missed
   306. stanmvp48 Posted: January 02, 2018 at 10:36 AM (#5599493)
My impression is that once they ran out of gimmicks, Mayfield isn't that great
   307. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 02, 2018 at 10:44 AM (#5599497)
My impression is that once they ran out of gimmicks, Mayfield isn't that great

He made one quality throw (a 50/50 ball that CeeDee Lamb, the second most impressive Sooner on the field last night, went up and got), and he's slippery and keeps his head down field in the pocket, which is good. He gets credit for keeping the play alive to get the ball to Flowers for the tying TD. But once they Bulldogs adjusted the front four to stop letting offensive linemen get hats into the secondary on those counters that sprung Anderson for huge yardage Mayfield was forced to make NFL throws into coverage, and he failed more often than not. The INT being the obvious worst one.

I don't think Riley got too conservative with his play calling per se (except for not going for it on 4th and short a few times), UGA just adjusted and took away his real offensive threat (Anderson out of the backfield.)
   308. stanmvp48 Posted: January 02, 2018 at 11:21 AM (#5599530)
Great defense, to be sure. One possession of > 22 yards in the second half. Alabama is -4.5 and O/U is 45.5 neither of which feel right to me. If I do the algebra correctly that would be 25 to 20.5
   309. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 02, 2018 at 11:30 AM (#5599537)
Bama's going to be favored until they get beat. That's just the way that works at this point. And I have no issue with that. But for whatever else happens, this is clearly a new type of team from UGA. I mentioned to a buddy after the game last night that there was an absolute zero percent chance that a Mark Richt coached team would have survived that first half punch to the face, much less recovered to win the damned thing.
   310. don't ask 57i66135; he wants to hang them all Posted: January 02, 2018 at 11:34 AM (#5599539)
alabama and georgia are playing for the national championship.
auburn beat alabama and georgia
UCF beat auburn
UCF is the only remaining undefeated team.

we need an 8 team playoff. this is still my proposal:
5 power conference champions
+ the highest rated non-power conference champion (AAC/MAC/mountain west)
+ the 2 highest rated at large teams

use a random draw to determine matchups so noone gets an artificially gerrymandered advantage.

this system means the conferences matter because every conference would get a spot.
it makes the regular season matter because you can't be eliminated in september.
it dangles a carrot in front of the other five conferences, since they'd have a direct route to the playoff
it screws notre dame.
it gives one last chance to good teams that get fluked out of their conference championship game (alabama this year, tosu last year)

it's perfect.

if that was the system this year, the playoff would have looked (something) like this:
oklahoma (big-12) v. clemson (ACC)
central florida (top rated non-power-5 conference champion) v. wisconsin (#2 at large)
georgia (SEC) v. ohio state (B1G)
alabama (#1 at large) v. USC (pac-12)

311. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: January 02, 2018 at 11:37 AM (#5599546)
I was skeptical of UGA dumping Richt (guys that win 10 games every year don't grow on trees), but it seems to have worked out for all parties.

The upside is that you win the game if you complete it. Whereas a short completion gives you a first down but leaves you 20 yards from winning.

Sure, but they had all of their timeouts (I think) and 20-something seconds on the clock. At least try to get into range for a long FG attempt.
   312. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 02, 2018 at 11:38 AM (#5599548)
UCF's win in the Peach Bowl is easily the most impressive showing by a school this bowl season. That said, until someone does expand the brackets (which given the money at play, they inevitably will), there's no way an undefeated non-power conference team whose best wins were against Memphis and Navy was going to crack the top 4.
   313. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: January 02, 2018 at 11:40 AM (#5599549)
I would have thought yesterday's games proved just how much a joke the whole idea of a playoff is.

it makes the regular season matter because you can't be eliminated in september.

This is the exact opposite of making the regular season matter.
   314. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 02, 2018 at 11:41 AM (#5599551)
At least try to get into range for a long FG attempt.

Maybe, but I'm not sure Seibert had much of a "long FG attempt" left in him. Without any real evidence other than hunch, I nonetheless believe strongly that the blocked kick in OT was at least partially driven by the fact that Riley only carried one guy to kickoff, kick field goals AND punt, and that kid's leg was mush by the fourth quarter.
   315. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 02, 2018 at 11:42 AM (#5599554)
I would have thought yesterday's games proved just how much a joke the whole idea of a playoff is.

Question mark?
   316. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: January 02, 2018 at 11:47 AM (#5599559)

Question mark?

So the game between UGA and OU came down to OT and essentially a coin flip. These are two evenly matched teams. Yet only one of them gets to play for the 'national championship'.

Moreover, should UGA win over Alabama convincingly, then OU and UGA deserve to split the championship. After all, they are evenly matched. And yet they won't, and OU will likely end up 3rd in the final polls, for no good reason.

Now consider a counterfactual: OU and UGA met in a non-conference game earlier in the year, and OU won 31-7. So we would have a situation where OU would have gone 1-0-1 over the course of the season against UGA, and yet would be guaranteed to end the season below UGA in the rankings.

Poppycock.
   317. don't ask 57i66135; he wants to hang them all Posted: January 02, 2018 at 11:52 AM (#5599562)
This is the exact opposite of making the regular season matter.

how do you figure?

318. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 02, 2018 at 11:53 AM (#5599563)
Now consider a counterfactual

Um...no? This rings entirely hollow to me. Initially because "it's all just random, and OU deserves half a championship if UGA beat Bama convincingly" ignores the actual results of actual games played. I mean, this is how sports go, right? There are rules. Some of them are a bit arbitrary and silly, from a 10k foot view of it, maybe. But every sport has those rules, and still they play. And we watch. I find the "just split it in half" theory of results unthinkable in playoff scenarios, and this whiffs of bitter grapes to me.

Secondly, even if you argue that the result of UGA/OU came down to a coin flip, you are conveniently forgetting that OU *won* that coin flip. Literally. They won the flip going into OT. They got the stop they wanted by forcing UGA to kick a FG to open. All they had to do was punch the ball into the end zone and dance their way to Atlanta. They didn't. They kicked their own FG, lost the advantage of the "coin flip," then gave up the muck-rush blocked FG to boot.
   319. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 02, 2018 at 12:14 PM (#5599586)
That said, if UGA somehow runs roughshod over Bama and wins the NC going away, I think OU has a real argument for being #2 in the final polls. For whatever that's worth.
   320. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: January 02, 2018 at 12:37 PM (#5599604)
Initially because "it's all just random, and OU deserves half a championship if UGA beat Bama convincingly" ignores the actual results of actual games played.

So if we're going to take into account the actual results of the games, Syracuse should have been in the playoff instead of Clemson, right?

Sometimes the better team (or the just as good team) loses to a lesser team (or just as good team).

how do you figure?

If you can lose in September yet still make the playoffs, that means that regular season loss didn't matter.
   321. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 02, 2018 at 12:44 PM (#5599613)
So if we're going to take into account the actual results of the games, Syracuse should have been in the playoff instead of Clemson, right?

The 4-8 Syracuse Orange? No. This sort of statement makes it really hard to take anything else you say seriously, ya know?

Sometimes the better team (or the just as good team) loses to a lesser team (or just as good team).

And when that happens in a playoff scenario, the "better" or "just as good" losers go home.
   322. don't ask 57i66135; he wants to hang them all Posted: January 02, 2018 at 12:48 PM (#5599618)
If you can lose in September yet still make the playoffs, that means that regular season loss didn't matter.
if you can win every game on your schedule, yet still miss the playoffs entirely, that means the entire regular season didn't matter.

what concept are you protecting here?
   323. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 02, 2018 at 12:55 PM (#5599621)
if you can win every game on your schedule, yet still miss the playoffs entirely, that means the entire regular season didn't matter.

Again, no. This is just hyperbole and rotgut. UCF didn't make the playoffs because there was no reason to think that they were objectively one of the four best programs in the country, even though they did win every game that wasn't postponed indefinitely. Again, their best wins going into bowl season were against Memphis (twice) and Navy.
   324. don't ask 57i66135; he wants to hang them all Posted: January 02, 2018 at 01:11 PM (#5599633)
Again, no. This is just hyperbole and rotgut. UCF didn't make the playoffs because there was no reason to think that they were objectively one of the four best programs in the country, even though they did win every game that wasn't postponed indefinitely. Again, their best wins going into bowl season were against Memphis (twice) and Navy.
who were alabama's best wins again?

UCF also beat 10-2 south florida. and we just saw them beat 10-4 auburn; the committee couldn't know that would happen, but we don't have to pretend that it didn't.

325. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 02, 2018 at 01:17 PM (#5599635)
who were alabama's best wins again?

vs FSU (when they had a quarterback at least briefly), at Mississippi State, at Texas A&M. Any of which, by any rational reckoning, stands up against holding off USF.

and we just saw them beat 10-4 auburn; the committee couldn't know that would happen, but we don't have to pretend that it didn't.

Then let me throw a neutral site beat down of the mighty Clemson Tigers into Bama's bucket too.

UCF's win against Auburn was impressive, and if they manage to survive losing Frost (they won't) it will be interesting to see how they move up in the rankings. But if the hardest team they schedule in a given year is Navy or Georgia Tech, they're not going to get the benefit of the doubt against established programs with sterling pedigrees and massive fan bases who travel.
   326. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 02, 2018 at 01:48 PM (#5599655)
Anyway. I think you guys are better served arguing that someone is always going to get screwed with a 4 team bracket and push an expansion to 8. That way a very good mid-major (such as UCF) wouldn't need two of five "power 5" conferences to have down years in order to sneak a team in. (This year, even if Alabama was left out, that fourth slot would have gone to Ohio State. I could see UCF sneaking in past USC, as the Pac-12 has sort of degraded into a sort of mid-major itself of late. But no way the Knights get in over the Buckeyes this year, either.)

If you want mid-majors to have a real shot at running the playoffs, you'll need 8 teams to qualify and a guaranteed spot for at least one non-P5 conference.
   327. wjones Posted: January 09, 2018 at 03:53 PM (#5603556)
Scott Frost talked a lot, but in the end he left CFU to go to Nebraska. I know it's home, but Saban isn't leaving Bama for Kent State.
Page 4 of 4 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend
for his generous support.