Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, November 01, 2018

OT - November* 2018 College Football thread

* As is tradition, the November thread runs through Championship Week before giving way to the Bowl Spectacular.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 01, 2018 at 06:27 AM | 229 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college football, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 > 
   1. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 01, 2018 at 08:48 AM (#5780562)
 1 Alabama                    @ LSU               Mississippi State     The Citadel          Auburn
 2 Clemson                    Louisville          @ Boston College      Duke                 South Carolina
 3 LSU                        Alabama             @ Arkansas            Rice                 @ Texas A&M
 4 Notre Dame                 @ Northwestern      Florida State         Syracuse             @ USC
 5 Michigan                   Penn State          @ Rutgers             Indiana              @ Ohio State
 6 Georgia                    @ Kentucky          Auburn                UMass                Georgia Tech
 7 Oklahoma                   @ Texas Tech        Oklahoma State        Kansas               @ West Virginia
 8 Washington State           California          @ Colorado            Arizona              Washington
 9 Kentucky                   Georgia             @ Tennessee           Middle Tennessee     @ Louisville
10 Ohio State                 Nebraska            @ Michigan State      @ Maryland           Michigan
11 Florida                    Missouri            South Carolina        Idaho                @ Florida State
12 Central Florida            Temple              Navy                  Cincinnati           @ South Florida
13 West Virginia              @ Texas             TCU                   @ Oklahoma State     Oklahoma
14 Penn State                 @ Michigan          Wisconsin             @ Rutgers            Maryland
15 Utah                       @ Arizona State     Oregon                @ Colorado           BYU
16 Iowa                       @ Purdue            Northwestern          @ Illinois           Nebraska
17 Texas                      West Virginia       @ Texas Tech          Iowa State           @ Kansas
18 Mississippi State          Louisiana Tech      @ Alabama             Arkansas             @ Ole Miss
19 Syracuse                   @ Wake Forest       Louisville            Notre Dame           @ Boston College
20 Texas A&M                  @ Auburn            Ole Miss              UAB                  LSU
21 NC State                   Florida State       Wake Forest           @ Louisville         @ North Carolina     East Carolina
22 Boston College             @ Virginia Tech     Clemson               @ Florida State      Syracuse
23 Fresno State               @ UNLV              @ Boise State         San Diego State      San Jose State
24 Iowa State                 @ Kansas            Baylor                @ Texas              Incarnate Word
25 Virginia                   Pittsburgh          Liberty               @ Georgia Tech       @ Virginia Tech
   2. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: November 01, 2018 at 09:16 AM (#5780575)
In the office with a Virginia Tech fan. Apparently Virginia Tech controls their own destiny, with 4 games to go, despite not having had a great season. But Pitt also controls their own destiny, with 4 games to go, despite not having had a great season. And Virginia of course is in first place, so they control their destiny.

So in other words, Pitt, Virginia, and Virginia Tech still have to all play each other.

And Pitt and Virginia Tech still have to play Miami too. They have the exact same last four games.
   3. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: November 01, 2018 at 10:24 AM (#5780620)
UNC fan here. UNC beat Pitt, should have beaten Virginia Tech, and could have beaten UVa. In other words, Pitt, VT, and UVa are the tallest midgets around.
   4. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: November 01, 2018 at 10:35 AM (#5780626)
Hey, Pitt beat Syracuse and Syracuse beat UNC too. And now Syracuse is ranked. It's midgets all the way down.
   5. Cowboy Popup Posted: November 01, 2018 at 12:04 PM (#5780670)
I know someone has to be there but I have a real problem with there being 4 ACC teams in the bottom 6 of the top 25. I don't think any of them belong. NC State has the highest ranking out of the group in S&P+ at 35, none of the others remotely pass the smell test as top 25 teams. I guess this is what happens when you refuse to generally accept that 3 losses does not necessarily mean you are worse than a team with two losses? Although Iowa State snuck in there.

Ah well, it's not likely that there are 4 left by the end of the season. Might not be one left based on the scheduling highlighted in Crispix's post.
   6. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: November 01, 2018 at 12:24 PM (#5780688)
Is there any good reason why the pussies in the SEC can't play 9 conference games like everyone else?

Much easier to be rested for the big games if you have four byes every year. The Citadel? One of the reasons Alabama is consistently strong is they get their second string people the equivalent of two or three "games" every year, although it's debatable if Arkansas State is any better than Bama's second string.

SEC opponents, week 12. Eight teams that could be playing each other instead of:

The Citadel
Rice
UMass
Middle Tennessee
Idaho
UAB
Liberty
Chattanooga

Alabama doesn't have Florida or Georgia on their schedule this year. Too busy playing Louisiana-Lafayette.

7. McCoy Posted: November 01, 2018 at 02:03 PM (#5780764)
Question: BITD Divsion I teams would occasionally play Division II teams. I think Nebraska back when they were fighting for a national title in the 90's played a Div II team that got a lot of people annoyed. Anyway, the question is say a Division II team goes for a money grab and agrees to play 4 Division I teams on the road in a single season and it turns out that each time they play that Division I team that team was ranked 1st in the nation by AP & Coaches. Was there anything in the rules of either poll that would prevent that Division II team be ranked in those polls back in the 90's? I would assume beyond conference contracts there would be nothing stopping a bowl from inviting them to a game as well.
   8. McCoy Posted: November 01, 2018 at 02:05 PM (#5780766)
Georgia with one loss looks like it is possible for them to get back in the playoffs which makes me think that had they gone undefeated through to the Conference championship whichever team had lost would still probably have gone to the playoffs.
   9. Stevey Posted: November 01, 2018 at 02:20 PM (#5780773)
While the SEC should be going to 9 games, Alabama usually does schedule a tough OOC game to start the season. Louisville stunk it up, but that game was scheduled when Louisville was coming off a three year run with 32 wins. Florida St twice, USC, Wisconsin, W Virginia, Virginia Tech twice, Michigan, Penn State twice, and Clemson in the Saban era.

And, of course, Alabama is winning by three scores against SEC teams too. The second stringers are still getting plenty of reps outside the dregs.
   10. Stevey Posted: November 01, 2018 at 02:26 PM (#5780778)
Georgia with one loss looks like it is possible for them to get back in the playoffs

A one-loss Georgia will have won the SEC, so they're absolutely in. A second loss, and they're needing a ton of help.

A Georgia team that went undefeated until losing in the CCG would need a bit of help. Alabama, Clemson, and ND all look like good bets to go undefeated, and the Michigan/Ohio St winner and Oklahoma look like they will be one loss conference champs. I don't think Georgia would have stayed ahead of both.
   11. dlf Posted: November 01, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5780792)
Is there any good reason why the pussies in the SEC can't play 9 conference games like everyone else?

Yes, so dlf can go back to Tuscaloosa and see a game for $10 every year. The early season games are too soon for ticket prices to drop but by the time the good guys get to the pre-Auburn warm up, there are lots of good seats on the secondary market.

A one-loss Georgia will have won the SEC, so they're absolutely in.

I guess there could be a scenario where the SEC champ doesn't go to the final four - let's say Kentucky beats UGA, loses to Louisville and squeaks by 'Bama or LSU in a sloppy game - but I think that the odds of the SEC winner going are as close to a given as you could find.
   12. . . . . . . Posted: November 01, 2018 at 03:01 PM (#5780812)

Yes, so dlf can go back to Tuscaloosa and see a game for $10 every year. The early season games are too soon for ticket prices to drop but by the time the good guys get to the pre-Auburn warm up, there are lots of good seats on the secondary market.

Come on counselor, you can't spring for an Auburn ticket now and again? I don't just go back to Ann Arbor to see them whup on a directional school.
   13. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: November 01, 2018 at 03:42 PM (#5780853)
While the SEC should be going to 9 games, Alabama usually does schedule a tough OOC game to start the season.
Which is commendable, and better than not doing so, but still.

Play a tough game to start, then the next 12 weeks have eight conference games, with four dates that are either cupcakes or an outright bye. Whereas most conferences have three OOCs to start, then nine conference games, usually with one bye in there.

Louisville (OOC)
Ark St
@Ole Miss
T A&M
Louisiana Lafayette
@Arkansas
Missouri
@Tennessee
Bye
@LSU
MSU
The Citadel
Auburn

Pretty typical, year to year. Ooh - three conference games in a row - but never back to back road games. Sisters of the Poor (or worse) before three of their four road trips. All the cupcakes are always at home; if they don't play at College Station they never go more than 200 miles from Tuscaloosa (last road conference game was Happy Valley, in 2011). Those "tough OOCs" to start are at friendly "neutral" sites like Atlanta, New Orleans, or maybe Dallas.

Man up, play nine conference games, and five (GASP!) on the road once in awhile, and see if you're in the top four year in and year out. They might be, but they should have the guts to prove it. Right now, they are afraid to play Auburn without a rest week ahead of time (granted, same goes for the Tigers).

Here's (randomly chosen) Oklahoma State, by comparison:

Missouri State
South Alabama
Boise State
Texas Tech
@Kansas
Iowa State
@Kansas State
Bye
Texas
@Baylor
@Oklahoma
West Virginia
@TCU

A couple of tune-ups to start, fine, then a reasonable OOC (which are typically home-and-homes on campus, not neutral sites), then a conference schedule that this year has five road games, and nine games overall in ten weeks. Probably 90% of the non-SEC P5 conference members do this. SEC schools are pussies, there's four or five top teams that avoid half of each other every year, and exploit the schedule to load up for the ones they are forced to play (note what's before LSU and Auburn, above).

More power to them, I guess, it's working out. They're making money, and they show up and play well in the championship game. But let's see them do it without their crutches.
   14. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: November 01, 2018 at 03:54 PM (#5780860)
healthy football culture alert:
Toward the end of the practice, another player attacked Barber, attempting to punch him in the face, Barber said. While the two teammates were fighting, others tried to intervene and grabbed Barber’s arms behind his back, he said. That allowed the other player to punch Barber repeatedly in the face, leaving him with a black eye, needing multiple stitches on his forehead and a dislocated shoulder, Barber said.
   15. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 01, 2018 at 08:37 PM (#5781031)
Temple fakes a field goal, and the holder runs it in for a touchdown and a 24-14 lead early in the second. Drive was kept alive by running into the kicker on a previous field goal. Central Florida's defense continues to be a problem, and Milton has missed a couple deep balls that could've gone for scores.
   16. jacjacatk Posted: November 01, 2018 at 10:01 PM (#5781063)
538.com has Northwestern at 1.4% to make the playoff as the first 3 loss team to do it. As a grad, I find this hilarious. That there's any chance that a team that lost to Akron could be the national champion is just mind-blowing.
   17. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: November 01, 2018 at 10:32 PM (#5781075)
Remaining Home/Away is not exactly 50/50 for the top 25... no teams have more road games remaining than home games.

15 teams have 2 of each
9 teams have 3 at home and 1 on the road
1 has 3 at home and 2 on the road

Most of that disparity comes in the top 12, where 6 teams have 2/2 and another 6 have 3/1.
   18. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: November 01, 2018 at 10:40 PM (#5781080)
Alabama, Clemson, and ND all look like good bets to go undefeated, and the Michigan/Ohio St winner and Oklahoma look like they will be one loss conference champs. I don't think Georgia would have stayed ahead of both.
The chance of Alabama, Clemson, ND, Oklahoma, and either Michigan or Ohio State all going the rest of the season without a loss is exceedingly small (1-2% according to FPI).
   19. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: November 02, 2018 at 01:12 AM (#5781109)
What transpired at Maryland is the work of people who see football as fascism, and think football as fascism is a good thing.
Wheeler’s death showed how Northwestern prioritized football over everything. A university doctor burned the records of Wheeler’s final medical checkup, preventing investigators from concluding whether the team had given the asthmatic player proper treatment. A trophy honoring Wheeler was introduced and later discontinued. A memorial charity run for Randy Walker, the head coach of Northwestern when Wheeler died, operates to this day.
college football has too many workout-related deaths for ESPN to launch investigations into every school that has one.
college strength coaches have a disproportionate amount of power over what players do in the spring and summer months, when their contact with other coaches is limited by NCAA rules
Missouri’s football team threatened a boycott until the school’s president resigned after a series of racist incidents on campus. He did, two days later

The idea that college football is run by a bunch of people concerned with winning and the money that comes with it is wrong. College football is run by a bunch of people concerned with saving their own ass, and the asses of others like them.

link
   20. JL72 Posted: November 02, 2018 at 08:43 AM (#5781142)
#19 - What I continue to find amazing is that in all the justified outrage about McNair and other schools (as noted in the article), Notre Dame seems to get a complete pass with no mention about killing a 20-year old so they could get overhead film for a practice. Just amazing (and not in a good way).
   21. winnipegwhip Posted: November 02, 2018 at 09:57 AM (#5781167)
Playing that tougher out of conference opponent is less riskier in the first two weeks of the season. Example: Michigan vs Notre Dame. Michigan lost and has since been able to rise into the playoff discussion and probably controlling their own destiny. If the same game was played today the argument would be that the loser of undefeated Michigan vs. undefeated Notre Dame is out of the running for the playoff (unless they can get quick admission to the SEC).

#6 hits the nail on the head. If they play those teams that late they should be penalized in my opinion. "The resume" the committee talks about should be hammered that week.
   22. Stevey Posted: November 02, 2018 at 10:30 AM (#5781189)
I guess there could be a scenario where the SEC champ doesn't go to the final four - let's say Kentucky beats UGA, loses to Louisville and squeaks by 'Bama or LSU in a sloppy game - but I think that the odds of the SEC winner going are as close to a given as you could find.

But that's now a two-loss SEC champ. I'll agree that a two-loss SEC champ needs some help. But I was talking about a one-loss SEC champ.

Which is commendable, and better than not doing so, but still.

But still, Alabama plays one of the tougher schedules every year. No, not always the toughest, and before getting to the LSU, MSU, Auburn stretch, it has been pretty soft so far this year, but they still usually play a pretty darn good slate of opponents. Maybe we can make college football like a video game where you have to ramp up the difficulty every time it starts looking too easy.

SEC schools

It's a bit tough to extrapolate to the rest of the SEC because Alabama blows everyone out of the water.

To compare to OK St, they have a bye before LSU/MSU and a patsy before Auburn instead of a bye before Texas and a patsy before Oklahoma/WV. The SEC games are generally a bit better opponents too. Alabama played Ole Miss and A&M back to back near the start of the season. Ole Miss beat Texas Tech by three scores, and A&M hung with Clemson.

Now I need to take a shower after defending the SEC.

The chance of Alabama, Clemson, ND, Oklahoma, and either Michigan or Ohio State all going the rest of the season without a loss is exceedingly small

Absolutely, but I think if we're playing the assume both SEC division champs go undefeated, we kind of have to do it across the board.
   23. . . . . . . Posted: November 02, 2018 at 11:23 AM (#5781225)
I don't really have a complaint about Alabama's schedule. @LSU at night is the hardest game you can play in CFB other than playing, well, Alabama. Anyone who has watched the first half of an Alabama game against an opponent with a pulse wouldn't be muttering about cream-puffs.
   24. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 02, 2018 at 11:41 AM (#5781234)
The ACC Atlantic is really just a pick 'em coin flip to see who gets destroyed by Clemson in the conference championship. None of them are really worth a top 25 ranking, IMHO. I get that someone has to fill out the "we make the list 25 deep, even though these teams aren't noticeably better than the next 10-15" slots. But VT got absolutely steamrolled by the same Georgia Tech squad that lost to Pitt and Duke, with a freshman QB in for an injured Ta'quon Marshall. Hell, if GT wins out until Clean Old Fashioned Hate, they have a reasonable shot at winning the division at 4-3. The ACC is terrible this year.

If UGA beats Kentucky, they're the SEC East champions. If they win out against Auburn and GT after that (reasonable), they go into the SEC Championship with one loss. That means they either face Alabama for the big ticket (if Bama beats LSU), or they do the rematch thing they did last year, only vs LSU instead of Auburn this time.
   25. dlf Posted: November 02, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5781333)
But still, Alabama plays one of the tougher schedules every year. No, not always the toughest, and before getting to the LSU, MSU, Auburn stretch, it has been pretty soft so far this year, but they still usually play a pretty darn good slate of opponents. Maybe we can make college football like a video game where you have to ramp up the difficulty every time it starts looking too easy.

Part of the reason the slate is not too strong is their cross-division rival UT has been bad to horrible since the end of the Phil Pulmer era. As someone who was in Tuscaloosa in the early 90s, it still is somehow off to have the third Saturday in October be a near bye.

What has amazed me about Saban is his ability to adjust. When he came in, it seemed like a renewed version of Gene Stallings with smothering defenses and conservative offenses. But going from a D line built around guys like Terrance Cody to the speed version of the last few years with Quinnen Williams or Jonathan Allen something close to 70# smaller than their predecessors and in only three years going from running Derrick Henry 395 times to airing it out with Tua … well, we don't usually see such transformations of style from people who are so successful. Can you imagine another coach having a sophomore take over for a starting QB who is 26-2?

But good grief, why can't he recruit a kicker?
   26. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 02, 2018 at 08:44 PM (#5781489)
Narduzzi showing balls of steel, going for 4th-and-inches from his own 10.
   27. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: November 02, 2018 at 09:14 PM (#5781501)
I have a bad feeling about the Michigan-PSU game. The PSU offense has been so sputtery this year. I'm smelling a 45-10 romp by UM. Trace McSorley will not throw for 100 yards and will leave in the 3rd after getting gang tackled by 7 Wolverines. The game will be delayed for 10 minutes to pick up each of his 206 bones.
   28. Every Inge Counts Posted: November 02, 2018 at 09:15 PM (#5781502)

Much easier to be rested for the big games if you have four byes every year. The Citadel? One of the reasons Alabama is consistently strong is they get their second string people the equivalent of two or three "games" every year, although it's debatable if Arkansas State is any better than Bama's second string.

SEC opponents, week 12. Eight teams that could be playing each other instead of:

The Citadel
Rice
UMass
Middle Tennessee
Idaho
UAB
Liberty
Chattanooga

Alabama doesn't have Florida or Georgia on their schedule this year. Too busy playing Louisiana-Lafayette.

Saban has consistently wanted to move to a 9 game conference schedule. The rest of the SEC has been a no on that. One problem is the SEC-ACC built-in rivalries, which would likely limit non-conference games.
   29. winnipegwhip Posted: November 03, 2018 at 11:27 AM (#5781585)
LSU may have to beat Georgia twice and Alabama twice to win the National Championship...
Georgia beat them aĺready and in SEC championship and Alabama tonight and in the C.F. playoffs.
   30. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: November 03, 2018 at 12:04 PM (#5781597)
LSU may have to beat Georgia twice and Alabama twice to win the National Championship...
Georgia beat them aĺready and in SEC championship and Alabama tonight and in the C.F. playoffs
I thought this an exaggeration on first reading, but it isn't at all. The Alabama game is a must win. The SEC champion ship is a must win, and it's very likely to involve Georgia. Even with one loss, Alabama is fairly like not to lose again and has a decent chance of making the playoff. If they do, they have a very good chance of making the final if they aren't matched up with LSU in the semi. So, yeah.
   31. . . . . . . Posted: November 03, 2018 at 12:39 PM (#5781604)
I don’t think LSU is better than Clemson or a one-loss B1G champion. SEC is down this year, ex-Bama.
   32. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: November 03, 2018 at 12:49 PM (#5781609)

Georgia beat them aĺready and in SEC championship and Alabama tonight and in the C.F. playoffs.

Which is why the playoff as currently constituted is a joke. Might as well just have the challenger play Alabama over and over again until Alabama wins.
   33. Red Voodooin Posted: November 03, 2018 at 12:57 PM (#5781610)
SEC is down this year, ex-Bama.

I don't see the evidence for this. LSU looks really good. Seems like the SEC, as per usual, has about 5 or 6 teams in the top 15 this year and maybe 3 of the top 5.
   34. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 03, 2018 at 01:12 PM (#5781614)
Nebraska goes 75 yards in 12 plays on its first drive, then turns Ohio State over on downs. "Might this be a game?" one wonders.

Nebraska then goes three-and-out and gets its punt blocked for a safety; blows a coverage for a long touchdown; fumbles; gives up another touchdown; then, after having had 1st-and-goal from the four, fumbles again. Question answered.
   35. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: November 03, 2018 at 01:17 PM (#5781617)
I have a bad feeling about the Michigan-PSU game. The PSU offense has been so sputtery this year. I'm smelling a 45-10 romp by UM. Trace McSorley will not throw for 100 yards and will leave in the 3rd after getting gang tackled by 7 Wolverines. The game will be delayed for 10 minutes to pick up each of his 206 bones.

in 2016, MICH was better (well, they were healthier); they ran up the score 49-10.
in 2017, PSU was better; they ran up the score 42-13.
in 2018, it feels like MICH has the advantage. if they have the opportunity, they will make the final score as ugly as possible.
   36. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 03, 2018 at 01:22 PM (#5781621)
in 2016, MICH was better (well, they were healthier)

You were right the first time.
   37. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 03, 2018 at 01:28 PM (#5781623)
Question answered.

Then again...

With Ohio State driving, Haskins gets decked by a blitzing safety, fumbles, and grasps his shoulder while lying on the turf. Nebraska subsequently drives the field and scores.
   38. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: November 03, 2018 at 01:40 PM (#5781626)
You were right the first time.
nah:
again, i'll mention that 5 of penn state's current defensive starters did not play in that game and they were on their 5th string middle linebacker in the 2nd half.

michigan smelled blood in the water and they took care of business that day and they get credit for that, but the team they beat is not the one that won the big ten.
   39. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 03, 2018 at 01:47 PM (#5781629)
Until they do something otherwise normal people will assume the overrated teams are B1Gs and Notre Dame.
   40. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 03, 2018 at 01:51 PM (#5781632)
again, i'll mention that 5 of penn state's current defensive starters did not play in that game and they were on their 5th string middle linebacker in the 2nd half.

As long as you're repeating performances from 2016, take a look at the first 26 days of the November thread and give an encore of that.
   41. . . . . . . Posted: November 03, 2018 at 03:24 PM (#5781664)
When you were full of #### in 2016, repeating how full of #### you were in 2018 doesn’t make you any less full of ####. Don’t you have some kids to abuse in honor of your team, for good luck?
   42. . . . . . . Posted: November 03, 2018 at 03:25 PM (#5781665)
How the hell is OSU letting Nebraska hang around like this, @Columbus. Nebraska isn’t as bad as their record but they are decidedly Not Good even by B1G West standards.
   43. stanmvp48 Posted: November 03, 2018 at 03:29 PM (#5781667)
Did they just kick afield goal on the 1-yard line
   44. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 03, 2018 at 03:31 PM (#5781671)
How the hell is OSU letting Nebraska hang around like this, @Columbus. Nebraska isn’t as bad as their record but they are decidedly Not Good even by B1G West standards.

Nebraska has been a lot better in the last month, particularly the offense.

45. Brian C Posted: November 03, 2018 at 04:26 PM (#5781682)
Yeah, Nebraska has gotten legit salty over the last month.

Stop me if you've heard this before, but Feleipe Franks has started 2/7 and overthrew a wide-open receiver on what would have been an easy TD.

Also stop me if you've heard this before, but a UF opponent is wasting the Gator offense's slow start by trying to "establish the run" and getting nowhere.
   46. Brian C Posted: November 03, 2018 at 04:31 PM (#5781684)
Welp, so much for the "getting nowhere" part.

I hate these orange end zones.
   47. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 03, 2018 at 04:32 PM (#5781685)
Off to Evanston to see if the cats can wreck another season...
   48. toratoratora Posted: November 03, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5781687)
Quite the fortuitous chain of events there for Michigan going from blocked punt returned for touchdown to recovered fumble
   49. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: November 03, 2018 at 04:45 PM (#5781689)
Are the B1G tie-breakers head to head? If so, and if Iowa loses today to Purdue, I think NW only would have to beat Minnesota and Illinois to be in the B1G championship game. They could lose to ND (obviously) but also Iowa.
   50. CFBF Rides The Zombie Ice Dragon Posted: November 03, 2018 at 04:55 PM (#5781692)
I've been, all things considered, a Franks defender. But he's been unacceptably inaccurate today. Can't miss the throws he's missed.

EDIT: I'm sure Van Jefferson is thrilled with being overthrown on open routes five times a game.
   51. . . . . . . Posted: November 03, 2018 at 04:56 PM (#5781693)
The ESPN chyron just said Clemson ‘hung’ 77 on Louisville. Anyone know the etymology of using “hung” that way? First I heard of it was Spurrier using it in press conferences, but I assume it’s Southern origin?
   52. CFBF Rides The Zombie Ice Dragon Posted: November 03, 2018 at 04:58 PM (#5781695)
SECN announcer thinks the Gator crowd is looking for a flag, but it seems like they're booing Franks' inaccuracy.
   53. Brian C Posted: November 03, 2018 at 05:13 PM (#5781699)
These SECN announcers are clowns. If they don't shut up about the dancing and the sushi restaurant I'm going to lead an advertiser boycott.

This is the worst half of football the Gators have played this year I think. That first half against Vandy was pretty bad too, but good lord is this awful. At least Vandy was an early start on the road against a team they usually beat.
   54. Cowboy Popup Posted: November 03, 2018 at 05:13 PM (#5781700)
WVU-UT is in full on loony Big 12 football mode.
   55. CFBF Rides The Zombie Ice Dragon Posted: November 03, 2018 at 05:17 PM (#5781702)
If they don't shut up about the dancing and the sushi restaurant I'm going to lead an advertiser boycott.

Near as I can tell the only advertisers for these games are southern political campaigns and that store with all the hunting gear and camo stuff.
   56. Brian C Posted: November 03, 2018 at 05:21 PM (#5781703)
Damn it, really? I don't actually watch a lot of ads, that's my checking-in-on-other-games time.

Guess we're just screwed then.
   57. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: November 03, 2018 at 05:24 PM (#5781704)
Don’t you have some kids to abuse in honor of your team, for good luck?

i hate to break this news to you:
belittling child molestation does not make you a good person.

58. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: November 03, 2018 at 05:25 PM (#5781706)
Near as I can tell the only advertisers for these games are southern political campaigns and that store with all the hunting gear and camo stuff.
cracker barrel?
   59. Brian C Posted: November 03, 2018 at 05:31 PM (#5781711)
I look forward to some hapless NFL team wasting a high draft pick on Drew Lock next spring.
   60. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: November 03, 2018 at 05:51 PM (#5781714)
let's look back at things 57i66135 has said this year:
i'm probably wrong about this, but i think there's a decent chance penn state beats ohio state by 30+ points in two weeks.

that is all.
   61. Brian C Posted: November 03, 2018 at 06:17 PM (#5781721)
Gators have melted down so totally that their punter has personal foul penalties on each of his last two punts. Pretty sure I've never seen that before.

62. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: November 03, 2018 at 06:18 PM (#5781722)
i disagree with that targeting reversal.

it was a clean hit, but if a DB has the presence of mind to make a clean hit in that situation, the sport needs to make him take the next step, so he won't blow the guy up in the first place. that kind of play needs to be treated like a crackback block. if there's any forceable contact, it should be a 15 yard penalty, and a possible ejection.
   63. CFBF Rides The Zombie Ice Dragon Posted: November 03, 2018 at 06:20 PM (#5781723)

Gators have melted down so totally that their punter has personal foul penalties on each of his last two punts. Pretty sure I've never seen that before.

Honestly, I almost wanted them to uphold the initial targeting call on the first one. It would be just perfect for Florida football to get a punter ejected for targeting.
   64. . . . . . . Posted: November 03, 2018 at 06:23 PM (#5781726)
belittling child molestation does not make you a good person.

I give no ##### about whether you, of all people, thinks I’m a good person. PS, Tell me how our ass tastes.
   65. CFBF Rides The Zombie Ice Dragon Posted: November 03, 2018 at 06:26 PM (#5781728)
And Franks is out. Kyle Trask in.
   66. Brian C Posted: November 03, 2018 at 06:37 PM (#5781733)
It's hard to overstate how terrible Franks was in this game. He faced almost no pressure, he had receivers open constantly, and I think they were only even backed up deep in their own end maybe once? I guess 0 turnovers is a point in his favor, but even still, just a pitiful effort all around.

On his first drive, Trask looks better, but super panicky whenever a pass rusher is anywhere near him. Threw a weird jump-pass for a TD right now after being spooked by a blitzer that wasn't particularly close. It worked out, but that's no way to make a living, kid.
   67. CFBF Rides The Zombie Ice Dragon Posted: November 03, 2018 at 06:39 PM (#5781734)
I've always been pretty skeptical of Trask - guys with his profile (high school back-up, chose Florida over Lamar, Houston Baptist and McNeese State) don't usually turn into good SEC quarterbacks. But I suppose he's worth a shot.
   68. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: November 03, 2018 at 06:41 PM (#5781735)
I give no ##### about whether you, of all people, thinks I’m a good person. PS, Tell me how our ass tastes.

whether or not you give one or two or ten shits about my opinion of your character, what i said is no less true.
   69. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: November 03, 2018 at 06:45 PM (#5781737)
Well I was dead wrong on the PSU/Michigan game (and those who said it could easily be a blow out were right).

Michigan has to be a shoe-in if they go undefeated the rest of the way, right? Does a 1-loss OSU get in over a 1-loss Alabama non-SEC champ winner? Probably won't come to that, but it's an interesting question.

edit: then there is still Oklahoma and (I guess) WSU, who could still be in the picture.
   70. Brian C Posted: November 03, 2018 at 06:45 PM (#5781738)
I'm skeptical of Trask too, if only because I trust Mullen's QB judgment enough to be skeptical of a guy who couldn't beat out Franks for the starting job.

It makes me so sad to see what the Swamp has become. My days were back in the mid-90s, when it was devastating hard to play there.

How did the officials ever think that was a fumble? I mean, I get letting the play go and relying on replay to some extent, but geez, out of all the possibilities for what that play might have been, a fumble isn't one of them. Either it's incomplete or he's down.
   71. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 03, 2018 at 06:47 PM (#5781741)
The ESPN chyron just said Clemson ‘hung’ 77 on Louisville. Anyone know the etymology of using “hung” that way? First I heard of it was Spurrier using it in press conferences, but I assume it’s Southern origin?

It's been a universal thing in the south during my lifetime, so maybe. My general understanding is it's a call back to old manual scoreboards, where a person would update the score by hanging new number signs for every score. Think of the manual scoreboard at Wrigley.
   72. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: November 03, 2018 at 06:54 PM (#5781744)
So Iowa did lose after all. NW could easily go to the B1G championship at 7-5, and even at 6-6 if a lot of unexpected results happen.
   73. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: November 03, 2018 at 07:32 PM (#5781760)
It looks like WVU could have run 10 straight 2-point conversions and gotten all of them.

On the other hand, up by 1 with 16 seconds left, you don't actually want to get the 15-yd unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after the conversion. Only saving grace is that UT burned all their time outs trying to make WVU covert multiple times in a row. (OK, I exaggerate but only slightly).
   74. Cowboy Popup Posted: November 03, 2018 at 07:38 PM (#5781764)
Hell of a game in Austin. Never expected a win, didn't think the team was deep enough to fight that team for 4 quarters. I was wrong and that was a great freaking win.

Let's Go Mountaineers!
   75. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: November 03, 2018 at 07:39 PM (#5781765)
Bad day for 2-loss ranked teams--the top ones all lost: UF, PSU, Utah, Iowa, UT.
   76. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: November 03, 2018 at 07:42 PM (#5781767)

It's been a universal thing in the south during my lifetime, so maybe. My general understanding is it's a call back to old manual scoreboards, where a person would update the score by hanging new number signs for every score. Think of the manual scoreboard at Wrigley.

Had no idea till now that it wasn't a common expression everywhere.
   77. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: November 03, 2018 at 07:49 PM (#5781770)
WVU could easily be back in the top 10 after this. Big win by Iowa State as well, helps them a little. It would help them even more if Iowa State can upset UT in 2 weeks.
   78. Cowboy Popup Posted: November 03, 2018 at 08:28 PM (#5781786)
It would help them even more if Iowa State can upset UT in 2 weeks.

I'm not so sure. The committee values wins over top 25 teams and seems less concerned with the quality of the loss. I thinknit helps WVU to have Texas solidly in the top 25 and Iowa State be merely a bowl team. But I'm just guessing.

Goodness, I forgot how this feels. It is fantastic.
   79. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: November 03, 2018 at 08:44 PM (#5781794)
I'm smelling a 45-10 romp by UM.

Got the margin of victory right somehow.

Trace McSorley will not throw for 100 yards

Got that right

and will leave in the 3rd after getting gang tackled by 7 Wolverines.

I was out to dinner so don't know if he left in the 3rd or 4th.

The game will be delayed for 10 minutes to pick up each of his 206 bones.

There are no news reports about McSorley being broken into many pieces, so I think I got that wrong.
   80. Stevey Posted: November 03, 2018 at 08:44 PM (#5781795)
I don't see the evidence for this. LSU looks really good. Seems like the SEC, as per usual, has about 5 or 6 teams in the top 15 this year and maybe 3 of the top 5.

LSU is 13th in S&P+. They’ve had some Miles-ian luck in the turnover department, and may crash back to earth here. (Now watch them beat Bama tonight).
   81. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 03, 2018 at 09:03 PM (#5781799)
Da Coach-O pussing out on 4th-and-2 in Alabama territory isn't going to win the game.
   82. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 03, 2018 at 09:58 PM (#5781808)
And here come the usual Northwestern theatrics...
   83. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: November 03, 2018 at 10:02 PM (#5781809)
If Alabama could have ended their drives, the game would have been way out of reach. LSU only has 67 yards to Alabama's 325. Negative rushing yards for LSU in the first half.
   84. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 03, 2018 at 10:03 PM (#5781811)
Thorson was in the end zone up to his waist, so unless he was holding the ball between his knees, this is obviously a touchdown.
   85. Red Voodooin Posted: November 03, 2018 at 11:26 PM (#5781820)
Alabama Ass Whuppin'
   86. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: November 03, 2018 at 11:44 PM (#5781822)
Oklahoma ran back a 2-point conversion by TTU. Now up 4 with the ball.
   87. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: November 03, 2018 at 11:45 PM (#5781823)
I think Nebraska back when they were fighting for a national title in the 90's played a Div II team that got a lot of people annoyed.

for posterity. No. They played a soon to be defunct program (Pacific), but no Div II team. I-A can't schedule a DII team, w/o a rarely provided waiver. (rescheduled game due to cancelations or some such reason). Nebraska's first I-AA (aka FBS game was in 2004 vs Western Illinois). UCF joined FBS (aka D-I in 1996, that was the Daunte Culpepper led team.

In 90s seasons where they were sniffing a MNC or won a MNC.
1993: UNT, @UCLA, Colo St, Texas Tech
1994: WVA, UCLA, Wyo, @Tex Tech, Pacific
1995: @Mich St, ASU, Pacific, Wazzu
1996: Mich St, @ASU, Colo St
1997: Akron, @Wash, UCF
1999: @Iowa, Cal, So Miss.
   88. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 04, 2018 at 12:10 AM (#5781825)
The folly of advocating for kicking the field goal from six inches away when trailing by 11 was demonstrated by the failure to make the two-point conversion. One of the follies, anyway.
   89. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: November 04, 2018 at 12:54 AM (#5781833)
Bowman's a hard luck QB. He's a gamer, but taking a beating has taken its toll.
   90. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: November 04, 2018 at 09:04 AM (#5781851)
NW going to the B1G championship game at 6-6 is shockingly not that hard to envision.

1. NW loses to Iowa and one other team, probably Minnesota
2. Wisconsin loses exactly one more game, probably by losing to PSU but beating Purdue and Minnesota
3. Purdue loses exactly one more game, probably be losing to Wisconsin but beating Minnesota and Indiana

If all that happens, Iowa can win out and it won't matter that they will have beaten NW, since NW would win the 4-way tie-breaker.

Alternatively:
NW could beat Iowa and lose their other two games (unlikely), while each of Wisconsin and Purdue lose at least one more game (likely), OR
NW could lose to Iowa (and one of their other games) while Iowa loses one of its last two games (unlikely) and each of Wisconsin and Purdue loses at least one more game (likely)

The only point being that a 6-6 NW has a decent chance (25% maybe, assuming they go 6-6 in the first place) of being the B1G west rep in the championship.

edit: and of course, a 7-5 NW would go to the B1G championship game no matter what.
   91. Tom Nawrocki Posted: November 04, 2018 at 09:56 AM (#5781855)
If Northwestern goes to the B1G Championship at 6-6 and loses that game, would they be bowl eligible at 6-7?

The Notre Dame game went about as I expected. They're good enough to be competitive with just about anyone, but at halftime Brian Kelly seemed to realize that NU has no secondary, and that was all she wrote.
   92. Chicago Joe Posted: November 04, 2018 at 10:05 AM (#5781857)
NW is first in APR this year, and 5-7 is the new cutoff for bowls, so the answer is yes. Somebody did this in the last couple of years (finished 6-8).
   93. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: November 04, 2018 at 12:33 PM (#5781884)
If Northwestern goes to the B1G Championship at 6-6 and loses that game, would they be bowl eligible at 6-7?

NW is first in APR this year, and 5-7 is the new cutoff for bowls, so the answer is yes. Somebody did this in the last couple of years (finished 6-8).

I'm pretty sure it's theoretically still possible for NW to win the west with a 5-7 record. It would take 2 losses each by Wisconsin and Purdue, possible but very unlikely, and Iowa losing at least one of their other games, which is also unlikely. If that all happens, you would need another loss by the fighting Illini as well (either in Iowa's non-loss or in Illinois' last game against Nebraska, as they would be back in the picture with 4 losses and screw up the tie breakers for NW I think. (OK, all of this won't actually happen, but it would be fun.)
   94. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 04, 2018 at 01:20 PM (#5781888)
Notre Dame is going to be the vastly overrated midwestern team this year aren’t they?
   95. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: November 04, 2018 at 01:39 PM (#5781892)
The bowl eligibility criteria is still a .500 record in regular season games (with caveats about FCS opponents who don't offer enough scholarships). A loss in a conference championship game doesn't count. If there are still places to fill after that, then according to the bowl handbok they take:

* 6-6 teams with a win over an FCS team that doesn't make certain scholarship criteria
* 6-7 teams
* Any FCS teams that are moving to the FBS the next year
* 5-7 teams with the best multiyear APR ratings

Last year no teams with losing records made a bowl game. Hawaii qualified for a bowl game at 6-7 (in the regular season) in 2016. A couple of 5-7 teams also got in, and North Texas managed to finished 5-8 after losing to Army in the Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl.

This also speaks McCoy's question about D2 teams making a bowl game -- under a very specific set of circumstances a I-AA team can make a bowl game. It'd be interesting if, say, North Dakota State decided to move up to D1. Do they accept an invitation to play 6-6 Coastal Carolina in the AutoNation Cure Bowl, or do they go for one last FCS championship?
   96. winnipegwhip Posted: November 04, 2018 at 06:00 PM (#5781950)
This also speaks McCoy's question about D2 teams making a bowl game -- under a very specific set of circumstances a I-AA team can make a bowl game. It'd be interesting if, say, North Dakota State decided to move up to D1. Do they accept an invitation to play 6-6 Coastal Carolina in the AutoNation Cure Bowl, or do they go for one last FCS championship?

NDSU's best option is to stay at the current level. There is no reasonable conference for it to fit into unless they want to consistently go to type of bowl game you mention. It is safe to say they are the "Alabama" of their level and they should be proud of that identity. The Big Ten would have no interest in NDSU and I doubt the Big 12 would either. NDSU doesn't add TV revenue for the Big Ten Network nor greater revenue opportunities for the Big 12. (Although it would be great to be able to watch the Texas Longhorns baseball team have to play in Fargo once in a while.)

NDSU does still have exciting things on the horizon. The University of North Dakota will be joining NDSU in the Missouri Valley Conference next year and that in-state rivalry will be renewed. Also they are playing Butler at Target Field next year and they have a game at Oregon in a couple of years.

Plus getting the chance to watch Bo Pellini go nuts on the sideline yesterday when I attended the Bison game vs Youngstown State is as entertaining as any FBS game.
   97. Stevey Posted: November 04, 2018 at 10:11 PM (#5782010)
Notre Dame is going to be the vastly overrated midwestern team this year aren’t they?

Considering the committee bumped them last week for the one-loss and then #13, now #22 by S&P+, LSU, I'm not sure ND deserves to be singled out as overrated.
   98. Stevey Posted: November 04, 2018 at 10:44 PM (#5782023)
NDSU's best option is to stay at the current level.

From the 16-17 finances, NDSU is behind all 12 teams in the MWC, and it looks like all but three in each of the MAC, Sun Belt, and C-USA. Recently promoted App State has revenue 30% higher than NDSU. The Championship game back in January finished behind 33 of the 39 FBS bowl games in viewers. They don't need to join the Big 10 or 12 to make a whole bunch more money.

If fans would prefer their team to dominate FCS rather than try their hand at the next level, then fine. But being in even the Sun Belt is a step up in money and eyeballs from FCS, and they could certainly grow their program if they are as good as App State, and Sagarin already has them 17 spots higher.
   99. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 06, 2018 at 09:08 PM (#5783305)
NDSU ceases to be a destination school in I-A. Two-star recruits from nearby states flock there to be winners in a way I doubt they would to be part of an okay Mountain West program.
   100. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 06, 2018 at 09:14 PM (#5783307)
Kansas better not blow this lead. The last thing I want to do is sit through overtime waiting for the ranking show to start.
Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
TedBerg
for his generous support.