Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, August 30, 2012

OT: August 2012 College Football Thread

The 2012 College football thread!

odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: August 30, 2012 at 12:52 AM | 1503 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college football

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 16 pages  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
   1. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: August 30, 2012 at 06:32 AM (#4222022)
Where's the thread on the Republican National Convention???
   2. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 30, 2012 at 09:30 AM (#4222121)
I'm kind of hoping that Wazzu at BYU turns into this year's TCU at Baylor as the season's first fireworks display.

of note, always get a kick of out big time programs playing on the road in small time places. This weekend we get UCLA at Rice, A&M at La. Tech, OU at UTEP.
   3. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: August 30, 2012 at 09:52 AM (#4222153)
Oregon-Arkansas State could turn into a crazy-high scoring game. Oregon is Oregon, to paraphrase Pete Gillen, and Gus Malzahn is running the show at Arkansas State. There's not going to be a lot of ball-control offense.

EDSBS did a fun preview of Oregon-ArkState a couple months ago:
yougottawakethebluehellup

yougottaWAKEUP

becauseallwedoisgo

andgogogogogogogo
   4. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: August 30, 2012 at 09:59 AM (#4222162)
Boise at Michigan State should be good too.
   5. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: August 30, 2012 at 09:59 AM (#4222163)
Also, UMass and UConn renew their rivalry at last! Big Eat audition for the minutemen?
   6. DA Baracus Posted: August 30, 2012 at 10:15 AM (#4222194)
of note, always get a kick of out big time programs playing on the road in small time places. This weekend we get UCLA at Rice, A&M at La. Tech, OU at UTEP.

Strength of schedule and all that, but Rice is 8-16 and UCLA 10-16 the past two years. Hard times in Westwood. I'm confident Jim Mora will not turn it around.
   7. Spivey Posted: August 30, 2012 at 10:24 AM (#4222208)

I generally like for Texas to do this. You don't want your first road game being against a tough, in conference opponent. You learn things in road games with a lot of your young players.
   8. Joey B.: posting for the kids of northeast Ohio Posted: August 30, 2012 at 10:28 AM (#4222217)
Oregon-Arkansas State could turn into a crazy-high scoring game. Oregon is Oregon, to paraphrase Pete Gillen, and Gus Malzahn is running the show at Arkansas State. There's not going to be a lot of ball-control offense.

I agree totally. It looks like most of the books have the O/U at 68 right now, and I'm pretty damn tempted to throw down a few bucks on the over, because it's going to be wild.
   9. Crosseyed and Painless Posted: August 30, 2012 at 10:34 AM (#4222227)
At a wedding this weekend. Missing MSU-Boise AND Tigers-White Sox. Hooray!

I don't know what to expect from MSU. The entire fanbase and much of the media is just assuming they'll be ok despite losing every receiver that caught a pass last year and a three-year starting QB.

Excited for the games tonight. I wonder what WSU will look like in game one.
   10. TerpNats Posted: August 30, 2012 at 10:47 AM (#4222244)
If Leach has a better-than-expected season in Pullman, there are going to be plenty of angry people in College Park.
   11. spike Posted: August 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM (#4222264)
Shame Dyer got kicked off the Arky state team - would have been great to watch Round 2 versus Oregon.
   12. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM (#4222317)
If Leach has a better-than-expected season in Pullman, there are going to be plenty of angry people in College Park.

among other places. There was no shortage of places that had a chance to court Leach, but declined. I will really be surprised if he isn't successful over the next few seasons.
   13. SteveM. Posted: August 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM (#4222339)
Thank God the season is about to start. I was surprised and happy to learn last year that there is a large Alabama alumni contingent in Philadelphia that gets together to watch games.
   14. Shredder Posted: August 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM (#4222381)
of note, always get a kick of out big time programs playing on the road in small time places. This weekend we get UCLA at Rice
Ah, that's nice that someone thinks UCLA is still a big time program (and I say that as a UCLA fan).
I'm confident Jim Mora will not turn it around.
I actually think he'll be fairly successful. They've got more talent than they've had in the last, hell, probably ten years. They're still going to be hampered by injuries on the O-line, but the recruiting has been excellent since Mora took over. And I think the fact that have someone at the helm with virtually no UCLA connections for the first time in about 40 years is a major positive.
   15. Chicago Joe Posted: August 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM (#4222441)
Also, UMass and UConn renew their rivalry at last! Big Eat audition for the minutemen?

Well, I guess the rest of the conferences did get their fill of the Big East.
   16. Every Inge Counts Posted: August 30, 2012 at 12:35 PM (#4222470)

Too far east for the Big East.

Hurricane Isaac has taken out my power, hopefully back on by Saturday so I can watch the Michigan-Alabama game.

What do you guys think about the NC State-Tennessee and Clemson-Auburn games?
   17. DA Baracus Posted: August 30, 2012 at 12:45 PM (#4222493)

I think--no wait, know--the fans of those teams in town and staying in down town hotels this weekend are in for a treat.
   18. just plain joe Posted: August 30, 2012 at 12:54 PM (#4222512)
I think--no wait, know--the fans of those teams in town and staying in down town hotels this weekend are in for a treat.

Speaking as someone who once spent a couple of days sharing a hotel with a Star Trek convention (inadvertently to be sure), I can only imagine Dragon Con, and the effect it may have on any non-Dragon Con hotel guests. I don't know whether to be enthused or appalled that the Dragon Con people have an official policy regarding weapons and how they may be carried, etc. I suppose they know their constituency well or have had some "unfortunate" incidents in the past.
   19. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 30, 2012 at 01:00 PM (#4222532)
I live in Indy area which hosts GenCon every year and that's a sight to behold downtown.
   20. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: August 30, 2012 at 01:08 PM (#4222555)
   21. DA Baracus Posted: August 30, 2012 at 01:09 PM (#4222557)
I can only imagine Dragon Con, and the effect it may have on any non-Dragon Con hotel guests. I don't know whether to be enthused or appalled that the Dragon Con people have an official policy regarding weapons and how they may be carried, etc.

They've tightened their policy on fake weapons and the use of actual swords.

It is an interesting social experiment. I remember 2 years ago seeing both ends of it in rapid succession. I was in an elevator with a bunch of DragonCon goers, one in a really detailed and well done BSG Viper pilot outfit... and two LSU sorority girls. They were on the verge of freaking out, they couldn't wait to be released from their geek cage. Shortly after that some other LSU fans came down and partied with the DragonConners and were really cool about it. They were like "there's a party, we're there! #### yeah!" They weren't judgmental, they saw a lot of people having a good time and wanted to join in. Now that there's two games: twice the fun.

-------

GT planning a honeycomb helmet? Meh.
   22. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: August 30, 2012 at 01:11 PM (#4222564)
And speaking of CFB on TV, here's what the Pac-12 Network has told DirecTV subscribers:
We've heard from thousands of DirecTV subscribers who don't receive Pac-12 Networks and wonder whether they'll miss out on their teams' most important games of the football season. We have worked around the clock to make sure that doesn't happen, but with only a few hours remaining before the kickoff of the season, we're writing to inform our fans that we do not have a distribution agreement with DirecTV.

This means Pac-12 fans who subscribe to DirecTV are in jeopardy of missing all 35 football games scheduled for broadcast on Pac-12 Networks, beginning Thursday night.

As you may have read, DirecTV believes that all Pac-12 fans will be satisfied by the games they can watch through other networks. We know this is not true, based on the thousands of calls and emails we've received from you, particularly from fans of teams that other broadcasters don't typically feature. We also know that the other networks offered by DirecTV won't broadcast 20 of the Pac-12's conference games, starting with the Cal/USC matchup on September 22.

If you're one of the fans who won't be satisfied without Pac-12 football, or our more than 135 men's basketball games and hundreds of other live events, we recommend finding Pac-12 Networks with another television provider.

The good news is that most Pac-12 fans have options. These fans can switch their television service to one of the more than 30 distributors that offer Pac-12 Networks, including Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Cox. These providers offer Pac-12 Networks' full season lineup, including some of the most thrilling games of the season and TV Everywhere viewing online, on the iPad and on smartphones later in the season.

In just the first four weeks, Pac-12 Networks will feature all 12 schools, including appearances by #1 USC and two appearances by both #5 Oregon and #21 Stanford. Every weekend thereafter we will have at least two premiere conference matchups, all of which will have postseason implications.

To ensure you don't miss out, please contact one of the providers below to get Pac-12 Networks in time for the kickoff of football season.

Thank you for your continued support.
(emphasis mine)

No, P12N, I will not be cancelling my DTV subscription.
   23. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 30, 2012 at 01:13 PM (#4222568)
It's football day! Of course, as always, I am traveling this weekend, and I am staying with the in-laws so I will miss almost everything. I should get about the first hour of USCe-Vandy in tonight and I will try and wake up early to squeeze in some of ND-Navy, everything else is a question mark.

I'm thinking the underdogs win in both. NC State has a really good line and a big time QB. Clemson has a few important guys out, including Watkins.
   24. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: August 30, 2012 at 01:27 PM (#4222589)

I'm thinking the underdogs win in both. NC State has a really good line and a big time QB. Clemson has a few important guys out, including Watkins.

Has anyone ever analyzed the scores in week 1 to see if they're higher variance than in the rest of the season, particularly in competitive games (games between major conference teams). Intuitively, I'd think that the mean outcome is the same as in other weeks - i.e., the distribution of betting lines would be the same in week 1 as in week 10 (in competitive games), but the odds of a week 1 underdog winning would be higher than the odds for a week 10 underdog getting the same number of points.
   25. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 30, 2012 at 02:17 PM (#4222689)
since most week 1 games are non-conference, I think there's more room for 'arbitrage opportunity' in these contests then there will be for games played 3 weeks, 5 weeks, 10 weeks from now.

I haven't studied this empirically of course. I always feel there's more opportunity or more 'WTF lines' in September than I do Oct or Nov. I seek opportunity in teams that are favorites, but the lines simply haven't 'caught' up. During the 1st Bill Snyder era, K-State was perfect for this for a number of years, I'd joke and make that type of a pick a part of an overall investment strategy, as his teams were always underfavored. Diversify!, Stocks 80%, 10% Fixed Income, 10% Alternative Fixed Income a/k/a K State laying the points.

This can work the other way too but the opportunities are typically gone by October.
   26. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: August 30, 2012 at 02:42 PM (#4222739)
Being the provincial sort, I won't offer predictions for most of the NCAA (LSU wins the title). I will, however, bore the thread with my predictions for the Gators.

Record: 8-4 regular season.
Wins: Bowling Green, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Missouri, Louisiana, Jacksonville State.
Losses: LSU, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida State.
Potential Upset Win: South Carolina in Gainesville.
Potential Upset Loss: Vanderbilt at Vanderbilt. That game scares the hell out of me.
Surprising Player Development: Mike Gillislee rushes for more than 1,000 yards.
Result of Quarterback Battle: Jeff Driskel wins the job after week three. Jacoby Brissett transfers, perhaps to Miami.
   27. spike Posted: August 30, 2012 at 02:53 PM (#4222765)

Much as I hope this happens, Auburn's starting center, and their best (and one of the few experienced) OL, was suspended for the game. His backup only has 4 game snaps. It's going to be tough for them.
   28. jack the seal clubber (on the sidelines of life) Posted: August 30, 2012 at 04:07 PM (#4222884)
Buffalo at Georgia. Ouch, babe.
   29. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: August 30, 2012 at 04:19 PM (#4222902)
If you're one of the fans who won't be satisfied without Pac-12 football, or our more than 135 men's basketball games and hundreds of other live events, we recommend finding Pac-12 Networks with another television provider.
I love Pac-12 football. There might not have been a more entertaining group of coaches in any league, ever, than Chip Kelly, Mike Leach, RichRod, Lane Kiffin, Todd Graham, and Jeff Tedford. I spent my childhood as (seemingly) the only Oregon football fan east of the Rocky Mountains and went to the 1987 Oregon at Ohio State game wearing green and gold.

I'm exactly the guy they're trying to target with their network.

But if they think the prospect of losing 135 Pac-12 men's basketball games is going to make anybody switch television providers, they clearly haven't been watching much Pac-12 men's basketball lately.
   30. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: August 30, 2012 at 04:20 PM (#4222904)

of note, always get a kick of out big time programs playing on the road in small time places. This weekend we get UCLA at Rice

Ah, that's nice that someone thinks UCLA is still a big time program (and I say that as a UCLA fan).

Well, in that case we can count Nebraska at UCLA next week...
   31. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: August 30, 2012 at 04:25 PM (#4222914)
For about five years now, I've been pimping Kent State as being this close to MAC championship contention. They still haven't been to a bowl game since the Nixon administration, still have one winning season since 1988, and are still generally seen as the laughingstock member of a laughingstock conference.

It's nice to see someone else thinks Kent State could be bowl-bound this year. Thing is, they almost have to win the league to get a bowl invite; nobody's going to choose to invite a school with no fans to a bowl game.
   32. Shredder Posted: August 30, 2012 at 04:29 PM (#4222918)
But if they think the prospect of losing 135 Pac-12 men's basketball games is going to make anybody switch television providers, they clearly haven't been watching much Pac-12 men's basketball lately.
C'mon, you know as well as anyone this is cyclical. They just had two of the top three recruiting classes in the country this year. It wasn't too long ago that the Pac 10 produced five lottery picks in one draft. The conference has been down the last couple years, but it appears to be on the road back.
   33. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: August 30, 2012 at 04:41 PM (#4222931)
Sure, it's cyclical, but if P12N is anything like B10N, the talented, entertaining teams will generally be available on other networks and the Oregon States and Colorados of the world will be mainstays on P12N.

OTOH, maybe they're intentionally putting UCLA, Arizona, and the marketable teams on the network in an attempt to maximize interest.
   34. Every Inge Counts Posted: August 30, 2012 at 06:46 PM (#4223045)
Excited for the South Carolina-Vandy game. South Carolina will likely win, but James Franklin seems to be a really good coach (why did Maryland let him go again) who might be coaching somewhere "better" really soon.
   35. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 30, 2012 at 06:59 PM (#4223050)
Excited for the South Carolina-Vandy game. South Carolina will likely win, but James Franklin seems to be a really good coach (why did Maryland let him go again) who might be coaching somewhere "better" really soon.

He was their coach-in-waiting but I think he got tired of waiting for Friedgen to retire and left on his own. And at the time he was their OC and MD's offense wasn't really lighting the score board up. I seem to remember people not being all that high on Vandy hiring him.
   36. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: August 30, 2012 at 07:02 PM (#4223053)
Wait, are the ESPN guys calling the Vandy-SC game from the studio? Weak sauce, ESPN.
   37. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 30, 2012 at 07:14 PM (#4223060)
Man, South Carolina coughs it up immediately. Vandy has a great shot now.
   38. Every Inge Counts Posted: August 30, 2012 at 07:23 PM (#4223065)
Last year's game Vandy only got 77 total offensive yards. Seem to much better already.

And a bad pass by Jordan Rodgers...this game might be like last year's Arkansas-Vandy game...
   39. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: August 30, 2012 at 07:30 PM (#4223070)
It's got to kill Spurrier to rely so heavily on a mobile quarterback running zone reads. So far as Spurrier is concerned a quarterback is an arm connected to a brain. Legs are barely necessary peripherals.

And USC's kicker wears a number in the 50's. Interesting.
   40. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: August 30, 2012 at 07:51 PM (#4223083)
nd at the time he was their OC and MD's offense wasn't really lighting the score board up. I seem to remember people not being all that high on Vandy hiring him.

With the success of guys like Franklin or Hoke and Kiffin, I think its pretty obvious that there's a model for a successful coach that doesn't involve being a genius X's and O's guy, but CEO-of-the-program type who recruits and markets the program and leaves the nitty-gritties to assistants (in the case of Kiffin and Hoke, senior assistants who aren't HCing because they don't want to, not b/c they're not qualified).
   41. Every Inge Counts Posted: August 30, 2012 at 08:58 PM (#4223115)
Looks like Connor Shaw is out for the game...not good for South Carolina.
   42. DA Baracus Posted: August 30, 2012 at 09:01 PM (#4223123)
I actually think he'll be fairly successful. They've got more talent than they've had in the last, hell, probably ten years. They're still going to be hampered by injuries on the O-line, but the recruiting has been excellent since Mora took over. And I think the fact that have someone at the helm with virtually no UCLA connections for the first time in about 40 years is a major positive.

Those are fine points but it overlooks that it's Jim Mora coaching the team.
   43. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: August 30, 2012 at 09:41 PM (#4223144)
I wonder if there's a more gratifying feeling for a football player than catching a pass for a big gain, getting blown up on a huge hit by the safety, holding on to the ball and jumping right back up.
   44. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 30, 2012 at 09:49 PM (#4223151)
and add the PF 15 yards to boot.
   45. Spivey Posted: August 30, 2012 at 09:57 PM (#4223154)
It's early of course, but South Carolina doesn't look like a top 10 team to me. Can't throw the ball and their defense, while good, doesn't look like it's great.
   46. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: August 30, 2012 at 10:08 PM (#4223160)
I was expecting Clowney to absolutely shred Vandy's offensive line, as he's the sort of pure athletic freak a program like Vanderbilt can never match, but he's been mostly silent after the early minutes of the game.
   47. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: August 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM (#4223162)
Oh, my. Awfully hard to make a catch when the other guy is holding down one of your arms.
   48. Spivey Posted: August 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM (#4223168)
I'm of two minds of the pass interference in college football. On the one hand, it's nice that it's not a spot foul because it helps mitigate how much refs can ruin the game. On the other hand, it really encourages unsportsmanlike plays like that because the reward is so much greater than the risk.
   49. Spivey Posted: August 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM (#4223169)
I don't understand how Vandy didn't expect a run on 3rd and 5 there.
   50. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM (#4223194)
observations from UCLA at Rice. Rice has blocked 3 PATs. UCLA had 3 70+ yard runs in the 1st half, and Ron Zook is the worst color guy working a broadcast booth in America. He sounds like Winnie the Pooh and reminds me of a mid 90s Conference USA hoops tourney, when Al McGuire was working every game and totally lost his voice by the 4th game.
   51. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 30, 2012 at 11:56 PM (#4223226)
BYU making plays. Tuel not looking good at QB tonite. To be fair, he hasn't had much time, and frankly BYU is pretty well prepared.
I expect a better second half here. The first drive was promising until the turnover. Lots of chippy play too, flags on both sides, head butts, cheap shots and taunting.
   52. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 31, 2012 at 01:52 AM (#4223269)
With the success of guys like Franklin or Hoke and Kiffin, I think its pretty obvious that there's a model for a successful coach that doesn't involve being a genius X's and O's guy, but CEO-of-the-program type who recruits and markets the program and leaves the nitty-gritties to assistants (in the case of Kiffin and Hoke, senior assistants who aren't HCing because they don't want to, not b/c they're not qualified).

I think that's absolutely right, although Hoke is a guy who consistently coaches his guys up. Not sure if that's all his assistants or not, I don't know if he's had the same guys since Ball St.

Oh, my. Awfully hard to make a catch when the other guy is holding down one of your arms.

Just saw the highlight, that's a hard non-call. Tough luck Vandy. I have to agree that the Cocks didn't look all that impressive from what I saw (first quarter and the highlights). I thought Connor Shaw would be better at throwing the ball. His first quarter pick was a pretty lousy throw. Lattimore looks like he's back though.

Minnesota threatening to check in with the annual horribly embarrassing Big Ten OOC loss. Edit: Just tied it up at 10 at UNLV. I wonder if that program will ever recover.
   53. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 31, 2012 at 02:01 AM (#4223271)

It's nice to see someone else thinks Kent State could be bowl-bound this year. Thing is, they almost have to win the league to get a bowl invite; nobody's going to choose to invite a school with no fans to a bowl game.

well they did have a guy pick up a punt and run with it....the wrong way, and still won big over Towson, so they got that going for them.
   54. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 31, 2012 at 02:02 AM (#4223272)
Gophers finally caught a break on the tipped INT, fg puts them up 3, getting late.
   55. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 31, 2012 at 02:07 AM (#4223274)
UNLV has the ball in the red zone, thanks in part to a personal foul. They should be able to tie it up at least.

Edit: Tie game!
   56. JoeHova Posted: August 31, 2012 at 02:18 AM (#4223276)
Wow, this Minnesota/UNLV game is horrible. On to overtime!
   57. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 31, 2012 at 02:33 AM (#4223280)
Finally got it on, Minnesota scored immediately in 2OT. Wide open guy just had to sit there, catch the ball and walk into the end zone. I'm guessing the rest of this game has been that bad.
   58. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 31, 2012 at 02:40 AM (#4223281)
And UNLV ties it on 4th and 6! The UNLV QB made a pretty darn good throw to the corner for the TD.
   59. JoeHova Posted: August 31, 2012 at 02:41 AM (#4223282)
This might be the worst D-I game I've ever seen. It's hilarious.
   60. JoeHova Posted: August 31, 2012 at 02:43 AM (#4223283)
UNLV's awful freshman QB has just thrown a pick and probably ended this game in OT3. But, let's see if the U of M can blow this somehow.
   61. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 31, 2012 at 02:46 AM (#4223284)
UNLV's awful freshman QB has just thrown a pick and probably ended this game in OT3. But, let's see if the U of M can blow this somehow.

I'll be surprised if they don't miss the kick here.

Edit: Awww, he made it. Boo.
   62. JoeHova Posted: August 31, 2012 at 02:48 AM (#4223285)
Gophers win on a field goal. I was surprised he made it too.
   63. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: August 31, 2012 at 05:52 AM (#4223297)
That was hilariously bad football.

Hey Minnesota? You just went triple overtime to beat a Mountain West school that's 4-22 since 2010. You might not want to run around celebrating like you just won the Super Bowl.
   64. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: August 31, 2012 at 10:01 AM (#4223418)
Did anybody else see the hit that injured Shaw? That knee to his back looked 100% intentional to me.
   65. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: August 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM (#4223439)
Big Eat audition for the minutemen?

Andy Reid has heard of your league and his agent will be in touch.
   66. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: August 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM (#4223445)
I think that's absolutely right, although Hoke is a guy who consistently coaches his guys up. Not sure if that's all his assistants or not, I don't know if he's had the same guys since Ball St.

Regardless of whether or not its the same guys or not (Al Borges has been with him since SDSU, IIRC), the guys he hires have the same role. The key is if you don't hold yourself out as an X's and O's ubermensch, you can bring in strong assistants who wouldnt want to work under a more, shall we say "hands-on" guy. Hoke, e.g., had Rocky Long as his DC at SDSU (and Rocky Long is a damn good coach in his own right, if he went .500 at New Mexico) and has Mattison as his DC now. Different guy, but same role - experienced, older, basically an HC-caliber guy who is working as a coordinator by choice.

I dont think a coach can rely on a singular "guy" as an assistant, because coordinators come-and-go (see, e.g., Jeff Casteel or Will Muschamp crippling the coaches they separated from), but he can attract a "type".
   67. SoSH U at work Posted: August 31, 2012 at 11:12 AM (#4223542)
With the success of guys like Franklin or Hoke and Kiffin, I think its pretty obvious that there's a model for a successful coach that doesn't involve being a genius X's and O's guy, but CEO-of-the-program type who recruits and markets the program and leaves the nitty-gritties to assistants.

Wasn't John Cooper doing this very thing back at Ohio State?

68. zenbitz Posted: August 31, 2012 at 11:26 AM (#4223561)
You would think after 2 blocked PATs you might go for 2. I guess they were way ahead. I suppose if UCLA is actually half decent I might pay attention to NCAAF.
   69. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: August 31, 2012 at 02:01 PM (#4223800)
Michigan suspends Fitz Toussaint for the 'Bama game. There is a difference.
   70. cmd600 Posted: August 31, 2012 at 02:26 PM (#4223823)
Michigan suspends Fitz Toussaint for the 'Bama game. There is a difference.

Michigan fans are talking themselves into believing that the backup - Thomas Rawls - is better suited to bruise it up with the Bama defense. I have to say, I'm almost convinced they're right if he's actually as healthy as the team is saying he is.
   71. Jeff Frances the Mute Posted: August 31, 2012 at 02:44 PM (#4223851)
You would think after 2 blocked PATs you might go for 2. I guess they were way ahead. I suppose if UCLA is actually half decent I might pay attention to NCAAF.

After the third blocked PAT they started going for two.
   72. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: August 31, 2012 at 02:58 PM (#4223873)
Michigan fans are talking themselves into believing that the backup - Thomas Rawls - is better suited to bruise it up with the Bama defense. I have to say, I'm almost convinced they're right if he's actually as healthy as the team is saying he is.

This is a load of ####. Rawls is hurt and he's not half the back that Toussaint is. I'd rather throw our true-freshman scat back out there and pray.
   73. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 31, 2012 at 03:46 PM (#4223934)
I suppose if UCLA is actually half decent I might pay attention to NCAAF.

we'll find out next week when Nebraska pays a visit to Pasadena.
   74. cmd600 Posted: August 31, 2012 at 03:54 PM (#4223939)
This is a load of ####. Rawls is hurt and he's not half the back that Toussaint is. I'd rather throw our true-freshman scat back out there and pray.

I know there's a lot of misdirection, but the coaching staff has been adamant about Rawls being fine. And good luck sending a true freshman scat back out there to try to run against that front 7 and protect Robinson. You're going to need someone who can help against that pass rush and move the chains enough to give Robinson at least some chance to throw the ball or it's going to look exactly like Michigan-State last year. Except worse.
   75. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: August 31, 2012 at 03:54 PM (#4223941)
With the success of guys like Franklin or Hoke and Kiffin, I think its pretty obvious that there's a model for a successful coach that doesn't involve being a genius X's and O's guy, but CEO-of-the-program type who recruits and markets the program and leaves the nitty-gritties to assistants.

For this reason, I though Zook could be a decent football CEO at Illinois. Recruit well enough and have good enough assistants to win 7 or 8 games a year. He brought in the talent, but had terrible performance. Not knowing the score when going for two seems to hurt.
   76. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: August 31, 2012 at 05:33 PM (#4224040)
I know there's a lot of misdirection, but the coaching staff has been adamant about Rawls being fine. And good luck sending a true freshman scat back out there to try to run against that front 7 and protect Robinson. You're going to need someone who can help against that pass rush and move the chains enough to give Robinson at least some chance to throw the ball or it's going to look exactly like Michigan-State last year. Except worse.

No way. Michigan is so overwhelmingly out-talented in this game that it needs to resort to trickery and high-variance game strategy to even have a puncher's chance. If this game comes down to running backs picking up blitzers to give Robinson time to throw from the pocket, they're done. And trying to run inside against the likes of that Australian man-beast is folly; not that Michigan's OL is bad, mind you, but they're not nearly at Alabama's DL talent level and they're breaking in a new center and will be EXOTICRUSHSCHEMEPWND.

The only chance Michigan has, IMO, is to get Robinson moving, do whatever it takes to get to the edge, force Alabama to respect to the outside run and then hopefully go over the top on a few carefully selected plays. That means a lot of Denard runs, some option, and alot of short passes/screens to the scat backs / slot guys. Michigan doesn't have an outside receiver worth a damn anyways (pending how Gardner looks), so there's no point in trying to beat Alabama pro-style.
   77. cmd600 Posted: August 31, 2012 at 06:09 PM (#4224058)
76 - you just described a lot of Michigan's gameplan against MSU last year. How did that work? You let a good defense (much less a great one) pin its ears back and focus on blowing up Robinson, you don't have a chance. I don't think they have much of one either way, but the only way they do is by keeping Alabama as honest as possible. Michigan saw success against Ohio State by handing the ball off 20 times, and even when Robinson kept it, they made the Buckeyes still respect the RB and ran power plays with the inverted veer. If they get in the end zone a second time, I'll be shocked, but this isn't Notre Dame, they're going to need to be more complex than Robinson-and-pray. That hasn't beaten anyone worthwhile.
   78. Spivey Posted: August 31, 2012 at 07:41 PM (#4224109)
I apparently forgot Boise State hadn't joined the Big East yet.
   79. Spivey Posted: August 31, 2012 at 07:44 PM (#4224112)
I forgot the point that Dr. Lou just made - USC and Oregon are probably going to have to play twice. Once in the regular season and once in the Pac 12 championship. If they split, I don't want to see either of them over a 1 loss team from the SEC (probably a given) or the Big 12 (a little dicier).
   80. spike Posted: August 31, 2012 at 08:16 PM (#4224126)
4 team playoff this year right? - a 1 loss PAC 10 champ will probably get a spot
   81. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: August 31, 2012 at 08:22 PM (#4224131)
Cmd600 - an underrated factor in the MSU game was the wind. Robinson doesnt have the arm (or spiral) for those conditions. I don't put much stock in that game, as I thought the weather did a lot more to shut down what Michigan was trying to do than Gholston or whoever.
   82. Every Inge Counts Posted: August 31, 2012 at 08:22 PM (#4224132)
Playoffs do not being until 2014.

Michigan State looks good, Boise State looks like a team that lost a crap ton of starters.
   83. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: August 31, 2012 at 08:45 PM (#4224137)
Nice leg on that MSU kicker.
   84. Spivey Posted: August 31, 2012 at 08:46 PM (#4224141)
Michigan State should be winning by more than 7. I think they should be worried about that. The QB looks vulnerable.
   85. Spivey Posted: August 31, 2012 at 09:04 PM (#4224148)
Speaking of vulnerable QBs.
   86. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: August 31, 2012 at 09:09 PM (#4224151)
This is some bad quarterbacking, this is.
   87. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: August 31, 2012 at 09:18 PM (#4224158)
Maybe these are the maize and blue glasses talking, but man does MSU play dirty. Cut blocks, head hunting, late hits . . . Little bit of everything.
   88. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: August 31, 2012 at 09:33 PM (#4224163)
s.o.s.
   89. Spivey Posted: August 31, 2012 at 09:36 PM (#4224164)
Boise is starting to put the clamps down on the Michigan State offense.
   90. Every Inge Counts Posted: August 31, 2012 at 09:40 PM (#4224166)
Michigan State's QB sucks.
   91. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: August 31, 2012 at 09:40 PM (#4224167)
Maxwell is even worse than advertised. Delicious.
   92. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 31, 2012 at 09:41 PM (#4224168)
Man Tennessee needs a win badly, or more accurately Dooley needs one badly. That goaline play was really lazy, and never like the QB stretch play.
   93. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: August 31, 2012 at 09:41 PM (#4224169)
3 first half picks. nice.
   94. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 31, 2012 at 10:03 PM (#4224179)
Dooley is wearing a shirt that belongs to an offensive tackle. He should be fired for that alone.
   95. Spivey Posted: August 31, 2012 at 10:17 PM (#4224189)
Wow, you can't let that happen Boise State.
   96. Spivey Posted: August 31, 2012 at 10:19 PM (#4224190)
Wow, you can't let that happen Michigan State.
   97. Spivey Posted: August 31, 2012 at 11:05 PM (#4224207)
After Michigan State goes like 8-1 in the Big 10, let's all remember that Maxwell didn't improve, but rather the Big 10 is terrible at football.
   98. Every Inge Counts Posted: August 31, 2012 at 11:22 PM (#4224212)
Boise State played a lot better than I thought they would. Is State just going to ride Bell to death this year...
   99. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: August 31, 2012 at 11:30 PM (#4224217)
I think MSU is the fourth or fifth best team in the conference, after watching that abortion.
   100. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: August 31, 2012 at 11:48 PM (#4224223)
Maxwell needs to improve greatly.
Page 1 of 16 pages  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Infinite Joost (Voxter)
for his generous support.