Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, August 30, 2012

OT: August 2012 College Football Thread

The 2012 College football thread!

Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: August 30, 2012 at 12:52 AM | 1503 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college football

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 13 of 16 pages ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 > 
   1201. Mike Webber Posted: October 20, 2012 at 11:58 PM (#4277778)
Very happy KSU fan tonight.
Various responses
Notre dame many not be for real but that won clinched a bcs big unless they did a third loss.
Having seen duke's field and various Texas hs fields I doubt it would crack the top 10
Geno Smith body language and sideline demeanor we terrible. His only throw longer than 15 yards down field was to noone.
And a question
They wouldn't really let Colin Klien win the heisman right? They'll have it go to a Notre dame defensive line Mman first.
   1202. Mike Webber Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:03 AM (#4277782)
Typing on my phone and bbtf are not compatible.
I also agree that there is no wsy wvu loses to ku.
   1203. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:24 AM (#4277790)
penn state is looking pretty decent. 5-2 (3-0), with a 5 game winning streak. their two losses to start the season were kind of fluky, and they seem to be getting better every week. they got out to a 38-0 lead tonight against iowa, and both the offense and the defense were firing on all cylinders.

they play ohio state next week, which seems to be a bit fortuitous, considering braxton miller's injury. supposedly, there'll be somewhere around 100 potential recruits who will be in town for the game.

and speaking of recruiting, if this coaching staff is around for a while, the team should be in really good shape. offensively, o'brien's aggressive pro-style offense should be a magnet for pocket passers, offensive linemen, and running backs. and if this year is any indication, he also seems to be very aggressive in featuring multiple tight ends, which makes sense, given his recent experience in new england, where their two TEs -- gronkowski and hernandez -- combined for 24 TDs last season.

and in addition to that, the fact that o'brien retained the DL and LB coaches from paterno's staff bodes well for their ability to continue to draw top talent on the defensive side of the ball.

1204. hokieneer Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:25 AM (#4277792)
https://www.facebook.com/FireJoeDeforestWvuDefensiveCoordinator

I'm surprised it took till 3 hours ago for this page to exist.
   1205. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:30 AM (#4277796)
Utah should be tied up here with Oregon St. Really, really a bad fumble on a inside reverse near the goal line, the dude catches it and he walks in and instead muffs it and the OSU DE who slips on his ass falls on it.
   1206. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: October 21, 2012 at 01:02 AM (#4277819)
Finally, after 25 years of Michigan fandom, I finally went to a game. It was even better than I imagined, and I got to rush the field. What a marvellous day.
   1207. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 01:14 AM (#4277822)
So Duke runs the field and some question it, meanwhile, Michigan, with 900 wins, rushes the field when holding off an underwhelming MSU team?....
   1208. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: October 21, 2012 at 01:16 AM (#4277823)
Is it really worth rushing the field when the team has the same record as you? Also note that um has 2 losses!!!
   1209. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: October 21, 2012 at 01:23 AM (#4277826)
Lets face it michigan has to settle for little wins. They leave the big ones for good teams
   1210. Every Inge Counts Posted: October 21, 2012 at 04:03 AM (#4277846)
Whoa, did Michigan fans really rush the field. That is kind of depressing.
   1211. Spivey Posted: October 21, 2012 at 05:56 AM (#4277849)
The only QB in the country better than Geno Smith is the QB playing WVU. Jesus Christ their pass defense is absurdly bad. If they don't get their head out their ass they're going to get stomped by every team besides KU. Every team in the Big 12 this year is pretty good besides KU. Who is awful.

KSU really impressed me today. I still can't help but feel like they are destined to lose a game or two, but it's clear it's going to take a big performance.

Texas' defense is so bad. It's a shame that the back 7 are so bad (and injured, in the LB core) that they're ruining a legitimately very good defensive line. It's like if the front 4 doesn't get pressure or make the tackle, the only other potential option is a big play.

I don't see any way that Oregon loses to Stanford, and I'd be pretty surprised to see them lose to USC. One the one hand, Oregon clearly has the worst SOS of the undefeateds - on the other hand, I think Oregon has the best chance to beat Alabama of the ND, KSU, Oregon, and Florida group. Alabama's offense is very good. I think if you can exploit them in one area, it's on defense - I haven't seen a ton of them but I don't think their defense is nearly on the level of last year. Of course, they haven't had to play a very good offense yet and its letting the newer guys get time to grow into their roles.

I also think that Oklahoma clearly looks like the best 1 loss team in the country, and that KSU loss doesn't look nearly as bad now as I had thought it was early in the year.
   1212. Spivey Posted: October 21, 2012 at 06:00 AM (#4277850)
I also like the fact that it looks like the best 2 teams in the Big 10 could be Ohio State and Penn State.
   1213. Every Inge Counts Posted: October 21, 2012 at 06:58 AM (#4277853)
I think if you can exploit them in one area, it's on defense - I haven't seen a ton of them but I don't think their defense is nearly on the level of last year. Of course, they haven't had to play a very good offense yet and its letting the newer guys get time to grow into their roles.

Everybody and their sister was telling us how Tennessee will represent a challenge to Alabama and how their offense matches up well against our defense. We saw how that worked out.

But I do agree, Alabama is not as shutdown on defense as they were last year. They are thin at CB and for whatever reason Alabama still cannot find that great edge rusher on defense. I am looking forward to the Texas A&M match up for that reason. But two more games before that Alabama needs to win....
   1214. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: October 21, 2012 at 07:23 AM (#4277855)
Michigan fans rushed the field for win 900 - not for MSU. Or so the party line at mgoblog states.
   1215. Spivey Posted: October 21, 2012 at 08:00 AM (#4277859)
Everybody and their sister was telling us how Tennessee will represent a challenge to Alabama and how their offense matches up well against our defense. We saw how that worked out.

I don't know who said that. It certainly wasn't me, and I'm not going to defend stupid things other people say. Tennessee was ranked as roughly the 50th best team in the country by Sagarin going into the Alabama game. That's probably a pretty accurate representation of how good they are, which basically means that something crazy would have to happen for them to beat a legit team. Sagarin's ratings suggest that Alabama is about 30 points better than Tennessee, and that's what we saw play out.

Interestingly, Sagarin hates the Big East. I guess we shouldn't be surprised, but he has Cincy, Rutgers, and Louisville ranked 33, 34, and 43 respectively.
   1216. Spivey Posted: October 21, 2012 at 08:18 AM (#4277860)
Also, Sagarin's ratings going into the week had Kansas as "only" the 88th worst team in the country. Bad, but definitely not as bad as I'd have expected. BCS teams that were rated worse:

Illinois (99)
Wake Forest (107)
Wazzu (104)
Kentucky (106)

And then there's Colorado (144). Colorado is putting up a season that belongs in the conversations with Wazzu '08 and Wazzu '09 for worst season ever by a BCS school. Next week, Colorado plays at Oregon. We could be looking at an 80-3 type score there.
   1217. Spivey Posted: October 21, 2012 at 08:35 AM (#4277862)
That 2008 season was a hoot. Washington and Washington State played what almost certainly was the worst matchup of BCS schools in the BCS era.

More news on Colorado's ranking this year: They'd be about a TD underdog to Old Dominion. They'd be a true 50 point underdog to Alabama. They'd be about a 2 touchdown underdog to Kansas.

One more note: Sumlin left Houston at exactly the right time.
   1218. I am going to be Frank Posted: October 21, 2012 at 10:06 AM (#4277879)
I can't believe Michigan fans rushed the field. I don't care what anyone says it was for beating State after four years of losing to them.

How many times have fans rushed the field? I only remember one time in 1997 against OSU.
   1219. Dan The Mediocre Posted: October 21, 2012 at 10:18 AM (#4277882)
I can't believe Michigan fans rushed the field. I don't care what anyone says it was for beating State after four years of losing to them.

I can see it for winning for the 900th time. Otherwise...meh.
   1220. Every Inge Counts Posted: October 21, 2012 at 11:01 AM (#4277900)
I don't know who said that. It certainly wasn't me, and I'm not going to defend stupid things other people say. Tennessee was ranked as roughly the 50th best team in the country by Sagarin going into the Alabama game. That's probably a pretty accurate representation of how good they are, which basically means that something crazy would have to happen for them to beat a legit team. Sagarin's ratings suggest that Alabama is about 30 points better than Tennessee, and that's what we saw play out.

Oh I mean I knew Alabama was going to beat Tennessee. I was talking more about Tennessee's passing game against Alabama's perceived weakness: the secondary.
   1221. hokieneer Posted: October 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM (#4277904)
The only QB in the country better than Geno Smith is the QB playing WVU. Jesus Christ their pass defense is absurdly bad. If they don't get their head out their ass they're going to get stomped by every team besides KU. Every team in the Big 12 this year is pretty good besides KU. Who is awful.

They are an embarrassment to the game itself. WVU will end up with the worst defense in school history by the end of the year. 2 years ago, in 2010 WVU had one of the 3 best defenses in school history. The problem is a combination of poor coaching and lack of talent. WVU is starting 2 senior CBs, but after that the entire secondary is freshman, soph, or RS fresh. At LB and on the DL, WVU has some upperclassman starters, but everyone else on the two deep is fresh/soph and inexperienced. We might be seeing the first major problems with Stewart's 2 undersigning classes and the above average attrition rate in all three of his classes.

The scheme/technique/whatever is awful as well. The corners routinely play 13-15 yards off the line, even in 3rd and 4 situations. That has to be coaching. Not ever turning and looking for the ball, that might be poor practice technique. WVU can do an alright job at bottling up the run, until they visibly give up after the opposing teams puts up 2-3 scores through the air. I mean ####, Klein has a throw-like-a-girl arm mechanics, and he still looked like Steve ####### Young out there.

Deforest (DC) might be in over his head. I know he was ST coordinator and asst. HC at OK St, but I'm not sure he has what it takes to run a defense. He might figure it out sometime, but as a local radio guy says: "WVU is not the place to figure out if you can coach" (not trying to sound arrogant).

Holgerson has got to find a way to keep the entire team motivated even after the defense gives up 21 in a quarter. It has to be deflating to know you have to score every time you touch the ball, and to start the game with a punt, but somehow Dana and co need to stay poised. Both the games the last 2 weeks were over midway through the 2nd quarter. WVU just looked deflated & dejected, and went through the motions for the last 2.5 quarters. WVU was overrated at #5, I think everyone knew that. There is a big difference in being a top 5 MNC contender and being embarrassed on both sides of the ball every week.

I'll end my rant, and let the discussion get back to real teams.

1222. I am going to be Frank Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:09 PM (#4277965)
I can see it for winning for the 900th time. Otherwise...meh.

I'm almost positive Michigan fans didn't rush the field for the 800th win.
   1223. Mike Webber Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM (#4278001)
Holgerson has got to find a way to keep the entire team motivated even after the defense gives up 21 in a quarter

Wasn't the sideline demeanor awful both for Holgerson and Geno Smith? Holgerson looked a little lost, Geno kept standing there with his bottom lip out like a frustrated toddler.

I don't mean this as a rip the Big East, but do you think the consistent quality of the opponents in the Big 12 is wearing on WVU and TCU? I think that is some of it, plus just facing a bunch of teams for the first time can't be helping. It will be easier to game plan for all these teams next season I'm sure. At least that is what Missouri fans keep saying on the radio about their awful SEC showing.
   1224. Cowboy Popup Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:53 PM (#4278005)
We might be seeing the first major problems with Stewart's 2 undersigning classes and the above average attrition rate in all three of his classes.

I don't want to take up too much space on the board talking about a 7th place Big 12 team, but I think that's a big part of it. The junior class is a punt, there are three-four players (Bailey, Rigg, Clarke, someone else probably, McCartney is useless) who actually matter to the team in that class.

The best rated players in the current recruiting class are defensive players, so at least the staff recognizes how desperately they need bodies on that side of the ball. I think WVU was not as primed for the Big 12 as the Orange Bowl made them look. You can paper over gaping holes in a program with a few star players when you are playing in a bowl, or in a weak Big East like last year. But the absurdly deep Big 12 has exposed the disrepair Stewart left the program in.

I mean ####, Klein has a throw-like-a-girl arm mechanics, and he still looked like Steve ####### Young out there.

That game reminded me of the Tebow's last game Florida-Cincinnati Sugar Bowl. Man, that was just a stomping.

Deforest (DC) might be in over his head. I know he was ST coordinator and asst. HC at OK St, but I'm not sure he has what it takes to run a defense. He might figure it out sometime, but as a local radio guy says: "WVU is not the place to figure out if you can coach" (not trying to sound arrogant).

I don't think that's arrogant. This is just like the QB coach from Wake that Stewart hired to be the OC (I can't believe I forgot his name already, I must have cursed it a thousand times a season when he was ruining Noel Devine's career)? That was a total disaster. A BCS team that frequently has a number next to its name, with WVU's history and funds should be hiring far more proven commodities than they have at coordinator positions. Deforest came in saying the wrong things, it sure likes he's teaching the wrong things to his players at this point. It's probably a combination of inexperience (players and coaches) and lack of talent (players and coaches), but WVU should at least be able to fix the coaching element quickly.
   1225. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM (#4278006)
Is any team doing well in its new conference? Seems like all the teams that moved are not now, nor will ever be football powers. shoulda stayed where you were. How could Mizzou honestly think they had a chance in the sec? they must be smoking something great there.
   1226. Mike Webber Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:59 PM (#4278009)
How could Mizzou honestly think they had a chance in the sec?

I can't tell you how many times I heard a Mizzou fan say, "Well, UF and Tenn are down, and Vandy and UK are no problem,"

I would say, "How long do you think schools with 100,000 seats stadiums stay down?"
   1227. Cowboy Popup Posted: October 21, 2012 at 01:00 PM (#4278010)
I don't mean this as a rip the Big East, but do you think the consistent quality of the opponents in the Big 12 is wearing on WVU and TCU?

Can't speak to TCU but absolutely with WVU. Stewart ingrained a serious lack of mental toughness in this program. Most of these guys are his players and it's still reflected when they get down. In the Big East, there were NO programs that could come out and really match up with them talent wise and they still lost 2-3 games a year because of sloppiness (8 fumbles against UConn for example) and sleep walking through games (Getting housed by bad Syracuse teams two years in a row).

I still think Holgorsen is the guy to fix this problem. The team's discipline and turnover rate has improved dramatically since he started. The physical conditioning is world's better than it was under Stewart. I think he will eventually instill a mentality in the program that will prepare these guys for the rigor of playing 7-8 tough conference games instead of three. But it appears that it will be a longer process than I had hoped it would be. Losing Geno probably won't hurt as much if the program takes more positive steps forward across the board next year, but if the team doesn't wake up soon, this season could turn ugly fast.
   1228. I am going to be Frank Posted: October 21, 2012 at 01:48 PM (#4278043)
So blame Rich-Rod?
   1229. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: October 22, 2012 at 12:04 AM (#4278675)
That 2008 season was a hoot. Washington and Washington State played what almost certainly was the worst matchup of BCS schools in the BCS era.

and it went to OT! Those Wazzu teams were something else, it took awhile for the lines to catch up to their ineptitude. Wulff redshirted pretty much everyone and they were just hopeless.

Reminded me of the '87 version of the worst matchup of major conference schools in the country, KU v KSU, and they tied. The two had 1 victory between them on the season.
   1230. frannyzoo Posted: October 22, 2012 at 12:32 AM (#4278687)
Oregon-Oregon State '83. 0-0 and still the ne plus ultra of bad major conference matchups. Things have changed a bit for the Ducks and Beavers since.
   1231. hokieneer Posted: October 22, 2012 at 12:47 AM (#4278691)
So blame Rich-Rod?

Sure why not. It's a favorite past time around here. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a little grassroots grumblings wanting RR to come back.

I have no idea if these numbers are correct (actually these seem too good). This was posted on a wvu site this morning

Our opponents have had 87 total possessions 43 ended in points...49%.

Take out D2 JMU, 41 out of 75...55%.

For our four conference games, 32 out of 47 drives for our opponents ended in points; 68% of all drives end in points. With only 4 punts in four conference games.
Emphasis added.

That has to be getting close to being in the record books.
   1232. Mike Webber Posted: October 22, 2012 at 09:06 AM (#4278761)
Reminded me of the '87 version of the worst matchup of major conference schools in the country, KU v KSU, and they tied. The two had 1 victory between them on the season.

I was there!
It was terrible!

Seriously, at the end of the game they had to announce over the PA, "There is no overtime in collegiate football. The game is over." because most of the crowd was still there waiting for something to happen, or perhaps sleeping.
   1233. just plain joe Posted: October 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM (#4278824)
Kentucky (106)

And then there's Colorado (144).

If Colorado is that much worse than Kentucky then Colorado must be truly awful. Kentucky is already on their 3rd or 4th QB for the season and might not win another game.
   1234. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: October 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM (#4278875)
Seriously, at the end of the game they had to announce over the PA, "There is no overtime in collegiate football. The game is over."

This gave me a good chuckle.
   1235. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: October 22, 2012 at 11:36 AM (#4278911)
Just for giggles, here are the game results for KU and KSU in 1987.

KANASAS RESULTS
L 09-12-1987 0 Auburn (AL) 49
L 09-19-1987 17 Kent St. (OH) 31
L 09-26-1987 11 Louisiana Tech 16
W 10-03-1987 16 Southern Illinois 15
L 10-10-1987 2 Nebraska 54
L 10-17-1987 10 Colorado 35
L 10-24-1987 28 Iowa St. 42
L 10-31-1987 10 Oklahoma 71
T 11-07-1987 17 Kansas St. 17
L 11-14-1987 17 Oklahoma St. 49
L 11-21-1987 7 Missouri 19
KANSAS STATE RESULTS
L 09-05-1987 22 Austin Peay St. (TN) 26
L 09-19-1987 14 Army (NY) 41
L 09-26-1987 13 Iowa 38
L 10-03-1987 25 Tulsa (OK) 37
L 10-10-1987 10 Missouri 34
L 10-17-1987 10 Oklahoma 59
L 10-24-1987 3 Nebraska 56
L 10-31-1987 7 Oklahoma St. 56
T 11-07-1987 17 Kansas 17
L 11-14-1987 14 Iowa St. 16
L 11-21-1987 0 Colorado 41
   1236. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: October 22, 2012 at 11:49 AM (#4278928)
L 10-31-1987 10 Oklahoma 71

Barry Switzer is an #######.
   1237. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: October 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM (#4278938)
That was nothing compared to the '88 OU v KSU game when OU ran for 768 yards in the game, still only scored 70 points.
   1238. Mike Webber Posted: October 22, 2012 at 12:35 PM (#4278974)
That was nothing compared to the '88 OU v KSU game when OU ran for 768 yards in the game, still only scored 70 points.

Wasn't at that one, but was at the one a year before and Jamelle Hollieway was laying down with his head on his helmet watching the game by half time @ KSU, and they only won that one 59-10.
   1239. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: October 22, 2012 at 06:18 PM (#4279323)
Rutgers and Louisville on the last day of the season Thursday nihht in Piscataway could be fantastic if Cincy doesnt ruin it by beating one of them.
   1240. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: October 22, 2012 at 06:31 PM (#4279342)
braxton miller seems to have been cleared to play in this weeks' ineligi-bowl. that should probably increase the likelihood of a blowout loss.

but on the plus side, penn state is 13th in the NCAA in points allowed per game, and they've scored 35, 39, and 38 points in their first 3 B1G games (illinois, northwestern, and iowa), all wins.

1241. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: October 22, 2012 at 07:17 PM (#4279379)
Suck it, Salukis!
   1242. madvillain Posted: October 22, 2012 at 08:14 PM (#4279441)
braxton miller seems to have been cleared to play in this weeks' ineligi-bowl. that should probably increase the likelihood of a blowout loss.

O$U's defense is a tire fire and their offense with Braxton is good but not elite. If Hope isn't such an idiot that should be fired immediately, he runs the damn ball 3 times, runs down the clock, and wins that game.

It's going to be a close game probably, maybe 34-31 O$U. PSU isn't that bad this year. Penn State fans like yourself should just enjoy this year and possibly the next, because after that, the wheels are gonna come off from the scholie limits.

Michigan played a conservative game on Saturday and got the job done despite more red zone trouble. Something about Borges and Denard just doesn't click for either guy, it's painful to watch at times but with Mattison's defense playing at a near elite level the offense just needs to not turn it over and Michigan will win more times than not. Michigan wins this week at Lincoln it clears the way for a helluva showdown with O$U for the B1G title, even if in spirit only with O$U's bowl ban.
   1243. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: October 22, 2012 at 09:30 PM (#4279722)
It's going to be a close game probably, maybe 34-31 O$U. PSU isn't that bad this year. Penn State fans like yourself should just enjoy this year and possibly the next, because after that, the wheels are gonna come off from the scholie limits.
the limit is essentially at full effect already, due to the coaching staff redshirting most of the freshman class.

also, as i noted above, recruiting should be a much easier sell than was previously expected, due to bill o'brien's coaching and playcalling. if you're a traditional dropback quarterback, where are you going to get better coaching than penn state? matt mcgloin (!!!) has a 62% completion rate, and a 14:2 touchdown:interception ratio. in case you're not familiar with mcgloin, he's 5th year former walkon, who over the previous 2 years had a 54% completion rate and a 22:14 touchdown:interception ratio. and he's doing that despite everything else that's going on (the change in staff, the sanctions, the teammates transferring).

already on that front, penn state has retained the commitment from a top 2013 QB recruit, and there's also a strong possibility of bringing in a highly-regarded juco transfer.

and in addition to that, his usage of tightends should also attract a number of highly-regarded recruits at that position.

and in addition to that, his aggressiveness on offense should attract a number of other recruits on that side of the ball. he's probably attempted more 4th down conversions than the rest of the B1G combined, and if you're a runningback, or an offensive lineman, or a wide receiver, that means more opportunity for you to showcase yourself.

and in addition to that, penn state could attract an inordinate amount of priority walkons. the combination of the school itself, the history and prominence of the football program, and the possibility of actually getting on the field due to the reduction in scholarship players could be a very attractive combination to someone who would otherwise commit to villanova or upenn or delaware or rutgers.

1244. madvillain Posted: October 22, 2012 at 09:36 PM (#4279742)
Steagles, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but you're not going to be the first team in the history of the NCAA to not feel the effect of massive scholie losses. It's hurting USC, and you're not USC.
   1245. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: October 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM (#4279854)
Steagles, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but you're not going to be the first team in the history of the NCAA to not feel the effect of massive scholie losses. It's hurting USC, and you're not USC.
well, i am admittedly wildly optimistic about all things sports, so it's very possible, maybe even likely, that you're right, but i'll just make one mention that penn state has been coached by bernie for the last decade, and it's just a breath of fresh air to have a coaching staff that is actually engaged.

and in addition, i actually do think it makes a difference that this new coaching staff is doing things that noone else in division 1 is doing.
   1246. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: October 22, 2012 at 11:47 PM (#4280281)
It's a damned shame that PSU has a football team at all.
   1247. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: October 22, 2012 at 11:58 PM (#4280297)
ND is a 10 point dog this weekend
   1248. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: October 23, 2012 at 12:06 AM (#4280305)
They were 18 point dogs in Norman when they broke OU's 47 game winning streak in 1957.
   1249. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: October 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM (#4280310)
Ducks are 46 pt faves at home vs those Buffs. Actually not nearly as high as some of the conference lines I've seen over the years w dominant teams. Me thinks UO's 2nd half cruise control, they've employed a few times this season in the 2nd half keeps that line down. Those Holieway OU teams in '86/'87 were 50+ faves over Mizzou, KU etc.
   1250. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: October 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM (#4280311)
They bookended the streak which makes it even better.
   1251. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:45 PM (#4284728)
Since no is picking the irish to win I will pick them to pull it out at owen field. Tjen again i am a fan boy but hey gotta pull for them.
   1252. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: October 26, 2012 at 11:36 PM (#4284746)
Great win for Louisville.
   1253. Spivey Posted: October 27, 2012 at 01:37 AM (#4284782)
I don't think Notre Dame has a chance in a high scoring game, but I think it's possible they pull a KSU. They have a good defense, they just can't afford to allow OU to score 21+ because I don't think that ND can do that.
   1254. Spivey Posted: October 27, 2012 at 01:37 AM (#4284783)
Also, that Cincy/Louisville game was exciting but also a really low quality of game.
   1255. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: October 27, 2012 at 06:33 AM (#4284802)
mad

just out of curiousity. if ohio state goes to madison and loses will that impact your assessment listed above?

because i am not seeing how it's a fait accompli that osu beats wisky
   1256. Dan The Mediocre Posted: October 27, 2012 at 09:09 AM (#4284820)
I don't think Notre Dame has a chance in a high scoring game, but I think it's possible they pull a KSU. They have a good defense, they just can't afford to allow OU to score 21+ because I don't think that ND can do that.

This. ND can win if the defense shows up. If the defense has a poor game, they're going to get stomped.
   1257. DA Baracus is a "bloodthirsty fan of Atlanta." Posted: October 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM (#4284858)
if you're a traditional dropback quarterback, where are you going to get better coaching than penn state?

Plenty of schools, in particular Georgia, Baylor and USC. As I've said before, take away riding Tom Brady's coattails and O'Brien's resume is weak.
   1258. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: October 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM (#4284886)
sign I just saw "I DD for Tommy Rees"
   1259. Spivey Posted: October 27, 2012 at 12:04 PM (#4284899)
My picks:

Alabama by 24, basically like 30-6.
Oklahoma about 24-13
I think Georgia/Florida will be close, I have no idea why. But I'm taking Georgia.
TT/KSU will be very close, I'm taking TT.
I'll take USC over Arizona but I think Arizona scores 30+
Michigan State wins a low scoring game over Wisconsin
I'll take Michigan over Nebraska, as well.
   1260. Cowboy Popup Posted: October 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM (#4284918)
Also, that Cincy/Louisville game was exciting but also a really low quality of game.

Agreed. I think Rutgers is the best team in the conference by a decent margin. I don't see them losing to the Ville or a team as sloppy as Cincy. And they've pretty much beaten the rest of the conference at this point. It will be nice to see the Big East have two highly ranked teams without OOC losses playing for the conference at the end of the season.
   1261. Spivey Posted: October 27, 2012 at 12:52 PM (#4284928)
Jesus Christ Texas has such a poorly coached defense. Manny Diaz could really stand to get his head out of his ass.
   1262. Spivey Posted: October 27, 2012 at 01:00 PM (#4284931)
Manny Diaz needs to be fired. Yeah, the team can't ####### tackle. But that's his fault, since they've been able to tackle and be an elite defense every year before this.
   1263. Spivey Posted: October 27, 2012 at 01:06 PM (#4284932)
Manny Diaz honestly doesn't have a ####### clue how to call a defensive play that is designed to stop the run. All he ever wants to ####### do is run zone blitzes. Which doesn't ####### matter when the team just wants to run every play.
   1264. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: October 27, 2012 at 01:06 PM (#4284933)
Plenty of schools, in particular Georgia, Baylor and USC. As I've said before, take away riding Tom Brady's coattails and O'Brien's resume is weak.
riding tom brady's coattails? the last two years with BOB, the patriots were 27-5. this year? 4-3. if anyone was riding anyone else's coattails, it seems like brady was riding o'brien's.

also, matt mcgloin has no business doing what matt mcgloin has been doing this season. he's actually starting to look like he might get a call from the NFL, which is, astonishing to say, at the very least.
   1265. Every Inge Counts Posted: October 27, 2012 at 01:15 PM (#4284938)
LOL. Yeah Brady was riding O'Brien's coattails.

O'Brien is the third guy whose claim to fame is that he made Tom Brady apparently. Scott Loeffler and Josh McDaniels are the other two.
   1266. Cowboy Popup Posted: October 27, 2012 at 01:15 PM (#4284939)
It's inexcusable for Texas to be losing to this year's Kansas squad. I saw some sense in giving Brown sometime to rework the program, but this is getting to the point where the AD should start considering other options.
   1267. Spivey Posted: October 27, 2012 at 01:19 PM (#4284943)
If Texas loses more than 3 games in the regular season (which looks very likely at this point) then I think they have to replace Mack Brown. I love Mack Brown, and will always hold him in high regard. But I just don't think there's anywhere near enough accountability in the program and that comes from him. How many years of being mediocre in a row is enough? I'd say 3, and we're halfway into a game that is cementing that.

Also, David Ash is a ####### bum. The idea that his numbers are so good this year is a testament to how good the receivers and backs are.
   1268. Spivey Posted: October 27, 2012 at 01:22 PM (#4284945)
I think it's fair to say that if Texas loses this game, every coach needs to be in a place where they have to re-interview for their job.
   1269. Every Inge Counts Posted: October 27, 2012 at 01:23 PM (#4284946)
Marcus Lattimore just had a Willis McGahee type knee injury. And it was not the same knee that he hurt last season.
   1270. Spivey Posted: October 27, 2012 at 01:28 PM (#4284949)
Being a runningback is a hell of a thing.
   1271. Every Inge Counts Posted: October 27, 2012 at 01:36 PM (#4284954)
If Tennessee and West Virginia played in a bowl game the ball may never touch the ground.
   1272. Spivey Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:10 PM (#4284970)
David Ash looks as stupid as he is.
   1273. DA Baracus is a "bloodthirsty fan of Atlanta." Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:20 PM (#4284975)
riding tom brady's coattails? the last two years with BOB, the patriots were 27-5. this year? 4-3. if anyone was riding anyone else's coattails, it seems like brady was riding o'brien's.

Is this supposed to be a serious argument?
   1274. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:26 PM (#4284977)
LOL. Yeah Brady was riding O'Brien's coattails.
:)
Is this supposed to be a serious argument?
is that supposed to be a serious question?
O'Brien is the third guy whose claim to fame is that he made Tom Brady apparently. Scott Loeffler and Josh McDaniels are the other two.
1, loeffler chose to play drew henson over tom brady during brady's senior year. it's quite possible that without loeffler, brady would have been a top 5 pick. if you look at the other QBs in that draft, chad pennington was the only one taken in the first 2 rounds, and --actually, wasn't there an ESPN movie on this very subject?

as for mcdaniels, well, at least he had the good sense to run jay cutler out of denver. that kind of shows good instincts, right?
   1275. Spivey Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:27 PM (#4284978)
Wow, David Ash benched. Can we get a real quarterback on this ####### team?
   1276. Spivey Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:29 PM (#4284979)
I watched a shitload of Michigan back in Brady's heyday. There is absolutely no way he was going to be a top 5 pick. He was absolutely a player that developed in the pros.
   1277. DA Baracus is a "bloodthirsty fan of Atlanta." Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:39 PM (#4284982)
loeffler chose to play drew henson over tom brady during brady's senior year.

You make it sound like he got benched. Brady started every game of his junior and senior years.
   1278. cmd600 Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:39 PM (#4284983)
Steagles - Google Brady's combine picture. In a chance to get a better, higher paying job, Brady showed up to a workout contest in that kind of shape. There was no way he was going anywhere near the first round.
   1279. madvillain Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:40 PM (#4284984)

I watched a shitload of Michigan back in Brady's heyday. There is absolutely no way he was going to be a top 5 pick. He was absolutely a player that developed in the pros.

Yea, Michigan Tom Brady was a fine college QB that won a lot of games with a ton of talent around him. The NFL QB Tom Brady is a legend who has won a lot of games, sometimes with middling at best talent around him. Compared to say Payton with the Colts, Brady has had much less to work with.

I feel really, really bad for Marcus Lattimore and his family. Just another player ground up in the NFL's master plan. Without the age limit there is no way he returns to SC this year and maybe when he blows out his knee every which way but loose he's at least got a couple million in the bank or some fancy cars and a house for his folks. I hope he had a decent insurance policy on himself.

_____

Harvey: I'm not sure what we are disagreeing about. I don't think OSU is elite, certainly not by their own standards. They have a good, not elite offense and a middling defense. They have remained undefeated thanks to an easy schedule and some good luck (mostly created by B1G coaching incompetence).

Whisky could easily knock them off. So could Michigan. Neither of those teams is elite either.
   1280. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:44 PM (#4284987)
62% completion rate, 7.6 YPA, 20:6 TD:INT ratio, and michigan was ranked as high as #3 in the country. with a little luck, he could have been an undefeated national championship winning QB. maybe that wouldn't have been enough to get him into the first round/top 10/top 5, but it would have gotten him a much longer look than he got.
   1281. Cowboy Popup Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:45 PM (#4284990)
Damn, Kansas has a great chance to win. They can run down the clock and at least get three here.
   1282. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:46 PM (#4284992)
Lets go Kansas! !
   1283. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:47 PM (#4284993)
I feel really, really bad for Marcus Lattimore and his family. Just another player ground up in the NFL's master plan. Without the age limit there is no way he returns to SC this year and maybe when he blows out his knee every which way but loose he's at least got a couple million in the bank or some fancy cars and a house for his folks. I hope he had a decent insurance policy on himself.
he still has a year of eligibility, right? maybe he takes 12 months to rehab and then comes back at full strength for the bulk of next year's SEC schedule.

that was a gruesome injury, though. with the way his leg was flopping, it actually looked more like a dislocation/broken leg than a torn ligament. either way, not good.
   1284. DA Baracus is a "bloodthirsty fan of Atlanta." Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:49 PM (#4284995)
62% completion rate, 7.6 YPA, 20:6 TD:INT ratio, and michigan was ranked as high as #3 in the country. with a little luck, he could have been an undefeated national championship winning QB. maybe that wouldn't have been enough to get him into the first round/top 10/top 5, but it would have gotten him a much longer look than he got.

61% completion percentage, 7.7 YPA, 17-4 TD-INT rate on an undefeated team. The next year he was even better.

I'll spare you the Googling, that is Greg McElroy.
   1285. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:51 PM (#4285000)
Still have no confidence in KU being able to stop Texas here.
   1286. cmd600 Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:56 PM (#4285002)
sometimes with middling at best talent around him. Compared to say Payton with the Colts, Brady has had much less to work with

I feel this seriously underplays the offensive line of the Patriots (and defense too, each of those SB winning teams had elite defenses). Brady always seemed to have a bit more time to set and throw than just about every other QB. I know what the sacks stat say (The Patriots were usually just above average at preventing them) but it seems that he gets so many chances to sit back there and do whatever he wants.
   1287. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:59 PM (#4285004)
Ku really should be using tkmeouts
   1288. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: October 27, 2012 at 03:00 PM (#4285005)
Wow...fire that fat ####. What horrible coaching. Two timeouts left!!! Weiss is so ####### bad.
   1289. Spivey Posted: October 27, 2012 at 03:00 PM (#4285006)
MCCOY TO SHIPLEY!!!!
   1290. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: October 27, 2012 at 03:01 PM (#4285007)
Also...was there a more obvious call than playaction? Cant believe they bit tgat bad.
   1291. Mike Webber Posted: October 27, 2012 at 03:01 PM (#4285008)
UT pulls it out with 12 seconds left, they have to fall out of the poll don't they?
   1292. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: October 27, 2012 at 03:01 PM (#4285009)
I want Kansas to beat Texas if only to see the glowing Charlie Weis biographies that will be written as a result.

"Rock Chalk Revival: How Charlie Weis Saved Kansas Football."
   1293. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: October 27, 2012 at 03:01 PM (#4285010)
Weis is the X's and O's genius, not a TO genius.
   1294. Mike Webber Posted: October 27, 2012 at 03:03 PM (#4285011)
Waiting to read Spivey's post game rant - should be delicious
   1295. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: October 27, 2012 at 03:04 PM (#4285012)
Haha. Nice blocking on a two man rush.

Lets see if wilson can bring arky even.
   1296. KJOK Posted: October 27, 2012 at 03:05 PM (#4285013)
Kansas completed only 3 passes all day for 39 yards, and almost beat Texas anyway - wow...
   1297. DA Baracus is a "bloodthirsty fan of Atlanta." Posted: October 27, 2012 at 03:05 PM (#4285014)
Charlie Weis's defensive coordinator is Dave Campo. What, did Nick Holt turn him down?
   1298. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: October 27, 2012 at 03:24 PM (#4285026)
We're less than five minutes into Oregon-Colorado and Oregon has a 14-0 lead.
   1299. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: October 27, 2012 at 03:26 PM (#4285028)
I'll spare you the Googling, that is Greg McElroy.
the same greg mcelroy who's a better QB than both of the other first round picks on the new york jets?

1300. Mike Webber Posted: October 27, 2012 at 03:26 PM (#4285029)
Tennessee fumble killed a possible big upset.
Page 13 of 16 pages ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
TedBerg
for his generous support.