Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, August 30, 2012

OT: August 2012 College Football Thread

The 2012 College football thread!

odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: August 30, 2012 at 12:52 AM | 1503 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college football

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 16 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›
   201. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 02, 2012 at 12:53 AM (#4224906)
Unless UTEP has more blocked kicks in the bag, I don't see the offense doing much here. First to 15 points wins.
   202. Spivey Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:06 AM (#4224908)
UTEPFLIP.
   203. Spivey Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:09 AM (#4224909)
UTEP needs a field goal kicker, badly.
   204. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:10 AM (#4224910)
Again, UTEP needs to either block another kick or make one of their own. ####.
   205. Every Inge Counts Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:10 AM (#4224911)
Stop attempting field goals 90% of college football teams.

Or if you are UTEP or Bowling Green...just go for it...damn.
   206. I am going to be Frank Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:13 AM (#4224912)
seem to recall someone stating that robinson wasn't an actual qb and beating up on the dregs of the big 10 ain't all that

Harvey I agreed with you. Michigan obviously can't bench him (especially now that Gardner is their best WR) but once he graduates I'll be happy if Michigan returns to USC - Great Lakes when it comes to QBs. Man we had quite the stretch.
   207. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:13 AM (#4224913)
Aside from getting whipped by oSu last year which was no shame, I haven't seen OU look this bad offensively since one of Landry's first games, when Nebraska held them to 3 in '09.
   208. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:15 AM (#4224914)
Was the Price tryst with a stripper really ten years ago?
   209. Spivey Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:15 AM (#4224915)
Random receiver, you need to catch that.

It's amazing that UTEP's best player is a running back that appears to have a gimpy leg.
   210. Every Inge Counts Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:15 AM (#4224916)
I am not seeing Landry Jones as a first round talent like I have seen, or is just known now.
   211. Spivey Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:17 AM (#4224917)
Aside from getting whipped by oSu last year which was no shame, I haven't seen OU look this bad offensively since one of Landry's first games, when Nebraska held them to 3 in '09.

Landry has struggled his whole career when Broyles isn't around to throw to.
   212. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:17 AM (#4224918)
Ark St QB simply fumbles the ball, again, running in traffic. Oregon hasn't scored in several minutes.
   213. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:19 AM (#4224919)
It's amazing that UTEP's best player is a running back that appears to have a gimpy leg.

no ####. Usually when one of the gimps gives a top ten team a run for their money, there's some skilled player doing serious damage. Here we have a crappy team, with crappy players and a horrible kicker and they're still in it.
   214. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:21 AM (#4224920)
There's at least 32 oz of yellow mustard on that UTEP sideline. WTF?

edit: apparently mustard for cramps, at least in El Paso.
   215. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:24 AM (#4224921)
Yes, fake punt, you pricks, you're UTEP for God's sakes.
   216. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:29 AM (#4224922)
As someone who grew up watching Watts, Bradley, Holieway, etc, running the wishbone getting flashbacks of old OU games, where they always manage to fumble the ball out of bounds.
   217. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:33 AM (#4224923)
Nighty night UTEP.
   218. cmd600 Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:51 AM (#4224927)
seem to recall someone stating that robinson wasn't an actual qb and beating up on the dregs of the big 10 ain't all that

oh yeah, that was me

swear i didn't tell alabama.

We see the difference between being able to oversign or not tonight. Just last week, Michigan had enough spots on the 85 to offer 7-8 walk-ons a full ride this year. Meanwhile, over the last 5 years (so we include redshirt seniors), Alabama has given out over 130 scholarships.
   219. Spivey Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:57 AM (#4224928)
I guess it's time to go to bed. UTEP played well, they just didn't have the field goal kicking or offense. Would have been interesting if Jeffrey was healthy the whole game.
   220. Every Inge Counts Posted: September 02, 2012 at 02:08 AM (#4224929)
That was the difference in this game, Alabama oversigning...who would have thought.

Easy to have enough spots when you lose double digit players since Hoke has taken over.
   221. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: September 02, 2012 at 08:14 AM (#4224953)
Pretty much no upsets in the top 25, only teams that lost played a higher ranked team, when was the last time the top 25 as a whole did this well in any given week, let alone the very first week of the season
   222. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: September 02, 2012 at 08:38 AM (#4224963)
I quit watching the Oregon game when it was 29-0 at the end of the first quarter. The rest of the game didn't play out the way I expected, but I'm not particularly bothered by the 1-TD second half. I assume the scrubs were on the field.

I'm going to the Oregon-USC game in November. I expect the Ducks to lose, but it should be pretty exciting.
   223. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: September 02, 2012 at 08:38 AM (#4224964)
Reason number 10,795 to hate Notre Dame. I was at the local bar yesterday morning to watch soccer and, to my horror, Notre Dame was playing in Ireland so the game was on early and the bar was half filled with Notre Dame fans. With the score 37-10 they still thrust their arms up in the air and whooped and hollered every time Notre Dame got a first down or stopped Navy from gaining yards. Even the half of the bar watching soccer started mocking them. Also, the front of self-righteousness the NBC studio team puts on about Notre Dame football is fairly sickening. Oh yeah, it's the dedication to their STUDIES that has kept Notre Dame back the last 15 years...

In short, here's hoping Notre Dame loses every week.
   224. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: September 02, 2012 at 09:03 AM (#4224974)

Hear, hear.
   225. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: September 02, 2012 at 09:13 AM (#4224976)
Hear, hear.

I forgot to mention the most annoying part--when Notre Dame were stopped on a play or gave up some yards to Navy, even with the game a blow out, they'd curse and slam their fists against the bar. Serious #############.
   226. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: September 02, 2012 at 10:10 AM (#4224999)
in all fairness nd has graduated almost all of the football players with only a few execptions.
   227. SoSH U at work Posted: September 02, 2012 at 10:52 AM (#4225016)
Reason number 10,795 to hate Notre Dame...

It sounds like Notre Dame fans are like every other group of sports fans, particularly those that gather at a bar at 9 a.m. to watch the proceedings.

228. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 02, 2012 at 10:52 AM (#4225017)
Can Geno Smith replace Denard on the top 5 Heisman lists now?
   229. hokieneer Posted: September 02, 2012 at 11:31 AM (#4225023)
Can Geno Smith replace Denard on the top 5 Heisman lists now?

Was he not already? I don't watch a lot of the ESPN self-promotional coverage, but it seems like I did catch someone's preseason heisman list on there earlier this week. If my memory is correct:

1. Barkley
2. Ball
3. Geno
4. Jones
5. Robinson

Also there is this, which was updated last night. I think Geno went from being discussed so much as a sleeper or darkhorse, that now he's squarely in the conversation.

Geno did look unbelievable yesterday. 32-36 (one of those incompletes was intentional) for over 300 yards, 60 more on the ground, 5 total TD in basically 3 quarters.
   230. Every Inge Counts Posted: September 02, 2012 at 11:34 AM (#4225024)
Did not realize this until late last night when watching highlights, but Ohio's QB Tyler Tettleton is the son of Mickey Tettleton.
   231. hokieneer Posted: September 02, 2012 at 11:44 AM (#4225028)
Did not realize this until late last night when watching highlights, but Ohio's QB Tyler Tettleton is the son of Mickey Tettleton.

I watched a good bit of the 2nd half of that game. Kid was poised in the pocket. PSU just get sending 5-7 rushers after him (especially on that last 90 yard drive), and he was always making the quick read and putting the ball right in the receivers hands. Could not understand why PSU wouldn't lay back a little more in coverage.
   232. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 02, 2012 at 11:48 AM (#4225030)
Geno did look unbelievable yesterday. 32-36 (one of those incompletes was intentional) for over 300 yards, 60 more on the ground, 5 total TD in basically 3 quarters.

He was really moving well, which is probably the benefit of being healthy during the offseason. I'm a bit nervous about the defense, but they are young (I think there were four true freshman getting regular time in the secondary) and hopefully they will learn a lot against the next two patsies before conference play.

Btw, Bama looked amazing, no surprise there, but still. Their run defense was unreal. Their offense was just as fantastic. That is one scary team. They are going to annihilate Auburn for one, who looked pretty unimpressive yesterday.

Fairly dull week one Saturday. Cuse-Northwestern was pretty entertaining, but it's not like much was on the line. Same could be said for Miami-BC. Ohio whooping Penn State in the second half was a lot of fun. Neat to know that was Mickey's son EIC.

I think, given what I saw of Georgia, Florida, USCe, and Arkansas this weekend, that the SEC is probably Bama & LSU and some other teams. Maybe that's just week one jitters, but the Florida hype especially looks way over done.

I'm glad Pitt got embarrassed by a FCS team. Chryst may eventually straighten that program out, but he has a lot of work to do.

I have no idea who the best team in the Big Ten is. MSU racked up a lot of yards and a lot of turnovers. Wisconsin had their annual let down against an overmatched OOC opponent this week. Michigan would have given up 60-something if Bama wanted to score that much but it is Bama. OSU played a cupcake. The rest of league faceplanted, or narrowly avoided it.

MD 7, William & Mary 6. Ouch!
   233. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: September 02, 2012 at 11:48 AM (#4225031)
hokie

big10 defensive coordinators are enamored with emulating the buckeyes defense from a few years ago that would blitz quarterbacks and generate turnovers and assorted big plays. that they are unable to properly assess risk/reward is not surprising.

one of the issues with the big10 is the poor combination of scheme/playcalling.

one of the reasons wisconsin has been competitive is that they do dumb things less frequently that their opposition. the bar is set pretty low so don't think i am touting wisconsin's intellect in any way. they are just less stupid.
   234. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: September 02, 2012 at 11:50 AM (#4225032)
cowboy

chryst is not what you think he is.

235. hokieneer Posted: September 02, 2012 at 12:07 PM (#4225035)
Harveys,

I don't watch a lot of B10 football, but what you described can be found to some degree through all levels of football pretty much everywhere. I myself prefer the attacking defense over the complacent one, but if you're getting shredded, you need to be able to adjust.
   236. hokieneer Posted: September 02, 2012 at 12:10 PM (#4225036)
He was really moving well, which is probably the benefit of being healthy during the offseason. I'm a bit nervous about the defense, but they are young (I think there were four true freshman getting regular time in the secondary) and hopefully they will learn a lot against the next two patsies before conference play.

Plus with the new D-coordinator, I have no idea what to expect. At least with Casteel, I had some idea of expected performance even with a lot of bad/young personal.

WVU is going to be in a lot of 49-42 type of games this year, which fits in perfectly with the B12.
   237. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 02, 2012 at 12:43 PM (#4225045)
chryst is not what you think he is.

I don't think anything really of Chryst, but I did have some positive impressions. The loss to Youngstown and your opinion of him have removed most of those for me. But the media seems to value him and he has seen up close how a top ten program is run, so that is probably worth something. Pitt has burned through so many coaches in the last few year that I'm not going to believe in one until Pitt does something noteworthy other than burn through coaches and lose to FCS teams.
   238. zenbitz Posted: September 02, 2012 at 12:47 PM (#4225046)
I am beginning to think ncaafs patsy nonconference scheduling is a worse crime against humanity than not paying the players.
   239. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 02, 2012 at 12:51 PM (#4225047)
I am beginning to think ncaafs patsy nonconference scheduling is a worse crime against humanity than not paying the players.

Agreed. The non-conference play has been terrible the last few years. At least Bama has the nuts to keep scheduling good teams. I'm still pissed at WVU for buying out the FSU game this year.

Plus, how are we supposed to have the conference arguments if they don't play each other?
   240. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: September 02, 2012 at 12:57 PM (#4225053)
cowboy

wisconsin has a very specific and in some ways unique approach. i don't know if it is something that another program would want to replicate. it certainly won't excite the fan base.

wisconsin fans accept it now but only after years of success under alvarez.
   241. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:09 PM (#4225061)
hokie

i know what you are saying, but big10 coaches are pretty foolhardy. case in point is wisconsin blitzed on a 3rd and 7 late yesterday with a d-line that was generating good pressure and gave up a 50 plus yard touchdown. and not just one guy but a linebacker and a cornerback which left a guy completely wide open for an easy throw for the qb. i know this happens and it's early but if you want the league you see this silliness all.............the.........time.

folks talk about speed and athletes but to me the biggest difference between the big10 and better conferences are two things: ability in the secondary and coaching/playcalling.

big10 offenses have demonstrated that they can score points. and the front sevens are not overmatched. but the secondary play is abysmal. receivers running free, horrendous ball skills, poor tackling and just general ineptitude. and that is why the big10 loses those games. they get behind quickly and then the other defense has less things to defend and it's the classic rolling stone.

wisconsin's best teams always had guys who were competent in the secondary. last year's team worked to compensate via offense but against quality opposition like msu and oregon it wasn't enough. sure a better pass rush would have helped but guys have to cover some of the time and the wisconsin secondary just didn't have anything close to what was needed.

242. jack the seal clubber (on the sidelines of life) Posted: September 02, 2012 at 01:48 PM (#4225086)
Reason number 10,795 to hate Notre Dame. I was at the local bar yesterday morning to watch soccer and, to my horror, Notre Dame was playing in Ireland so the game was on early and the bar was half filled with Notre Dame fans. With the score 37-10 they still thrust their arms up in the air and whooped and hollered every time Notre Dame got a first down or stopped Navy from gaining yards. Even the half of the bar watching soccer started mocking them. Also, the front of self-righteousness the NBC studio team puts on about Notre Dame football is fairly sickening. Oh yeah, it's the dedication to their STUDIES that has kept Notre Dame back the last 15 years...

I am up for joining an anti-Notre Dame fan group. The most obnoxious jackasses on the planet, 95 percent of which have never been within five hundred miles of Indiana. Worse than Red Sox fans, even.
   243. Spivey Posted: September 02, 2012 at 03:34 PM (#4225159)
folks talk about speed and athletes but to me the biggest difference between the big10 and better conferences are two things: ability in the secondary and coaching/playcalling.

There's a lot more to it than that, IMO. Particularly on the defensive line. A good Big 10 defense has a starting NFL level defensive lineman. A good defensive line for USC, LSU, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma has like 4 or 5 guys like that.
   244. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: September 02, 2012 at 04:19 PM (#4225191)
A good Big 10 defense has a starting NFL level defensive lineman. A good defensive line for USC, LSU, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma has like 4 or 5 guys like that.

Stats to support this? It's a rather outlandish assertion.
   245. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 02, 2012 at 04:57 PM (#4225218)
wisconsin's best teams always had guys who were competent in the secondary. last year's team worked to compensate via offense but against quality opposition like msu and oregon it wasn't enough. sure a better pass rush would have helped but guys have to cover some of the time and the wisconsin secondary just didn't have anything close to what was needed.

In my humble view, I thought WI was most exposed defensively by its poor LB play in pass coverage. People get all wound up with Borland and his massive tackle totals, but the guy was hopeless in coverage vs MSU especially the 2nd time and against Oregon.
   246. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: September 02, 2012 at 05:14 PM (#4225230)
mrams

point taken but i give college linebackers a bit more leeway in this area as it is a skill that requires good coaching

and i son't see many lbs well schooled in coverage
   247. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: September 02, 2012 at 06:32 PM (#4225265)
I have no idea who the best team in the Big Ten is. MSU racked up a lot of yards and a lot of turnovers. Wisconsin had their annual let down against an overmatched OOC opponent this week. Michigan would have given up 60-something if Bama wanted to score that much but it is Bama. OSU played a cupcake. The rest of league faceplanted, or narrowly avoided it.

You forgot the Huskers.
   248. Spivey Posted: September 02, 2012 at 07:09 PM (#4225277)
Here are stats of the marquee Big 10 teams, marquee other schools, and some random SEC schools that had letters that started with marquee teams I was looking up anyways.

Texas LB: 6
Texas D-Line: 7

Tennessee LB: 4
Tennessee D-Line: 6

Miami LB: 8
Miami D-Line: 5

Michigan LB: 4
Michigan D-Line: 4

Michigan State LB: 0
Michigan D-Line: 4

Miss State LB: 3
Miss St D-Line: 5

Alabama LB: 6
Alabama D-Line: 4

Wisconsin LB: 3
Wisconsin D-Line: 2

Ohio State LB: 5
Ohio State D-Line: 3

Oklahoma LB: 3
Oklahoma D-Line: 5

USC LB: 8
USC D-Line: 9

LSU LB: 3
LSU D-Line: 8

PSU LB: 9
PSU D-Line: 3

I'm not going to spend way too much time breaking it down, but outside of Penn State the ratio of players from Big 10 teams that were defensive or d-linemen is considerably less than a lot of these other teams - for example, Ohio State has like 2-3 times as many players in the NFL as Oklahoma and Miss State. FWIW, I included linebackers because many defensive ends are converted to linebackers in the NFL. I don't see this gap shrinking, either.
   249. steagles Posted: September 03, 2012 at 09:13 PM (#4225802)
there's also the thing about "you only get better by playing a better opponent" and "only a diamond can cut another diamond"

offenses in the SEC and big XII are a lot more skilled than they are in the B1G, and by playing against that higher caliber opponent in practices, if not necessarily in games, defenses get better.

250. steagles Posted: September 03, 2012 at 09:19 PM (#4225806)
also, has there been any discussion of the NCAA basically burying its head in the sand regarding the academic scandal at UNC, where an entire academic department was basically used to pad the transcripts of football players for the last 15 years, going back at least as far as julius peppers?

251. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 03, 2012 at 09:58 PM (#4225826)
My goodness the Tech v. Tech game is dull. And I thought the MSU and USCe games were slow. Sheesh.

also, has there been any discussion of the NCAA basically burying its head in the sand regarding the academic scandal at UNC, where an entire academic department was basically used to pad the transcripts of football players for the last 15 years, going back at least as far as julius peppers?

I thought they were still investigating UNC. The NCAA is generally pretty slow to act on these things, the Penn State issue being the exception to the rule.
   252. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: September 03, 2012 at 10:21 PM (#4225840)
Louisville looks great. They are the best looking team in the Big East and probably better than anyone in the ACC too.
   253. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 03, 2012 at 10:24 PM (#4225844)
My goodness the Tech v. Tech game is dull. And I thought the MSU and USCe games were slow. Sheesh.

Labor Day (night) games have not been pretty football over the years. Recall the FSU v Canes duds, while close, were not pretty.
   254. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 03, 2012 at 10:31 PM (#4225848)
Louisville looks great. They are the best looking team in the Big East and probably better than anyone in the ACC too.

Well, if VA Tech is the best the ACC has to offer, yeah, probably. Let's see what FSU has to offer. But yeah, the Ville looked awesome. Bridgewater is a stud. I hope Strong stays there. Their only competition may be Cincy, who hasn't played yet. The rest of the conference sure didn't look to match up in week one.

Labor Day (night) games have not been pretty football over the years. Recall the FSU v Canes duds, while close, were not pretty.

I remember the press spinning that which ever team won was "back." Every freaking year. Still waiting.

Horrible "personal foul" call in the Tech game to jumpstart the Hokies. I hope GA Tech gets a stop here and puts away the upset. Logan Thomas blows.
   255. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: September 03, 2012 at 10:44 PM (#4225856)
Lucky on the fumble.
   256. Every Inge Counts Posted: September 03, 2012 at 10:46 PM (#4225858)
Big loss for Florida State: Brandon Jenkins likely out for the season.
   257. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 03, 2012 at 11:02 PM (#4225865)
That 4th down conversion was crazy. And GA Tech is feeling it. Put it away guys!
   258. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 03, 2012 at 11:03 PM (#4225866)
TD! 44 seconds left! Suck it Hokies.
   259. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 03, 2012 at 11:13 PM (#4225870)
Overtime, boo!
   260. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 03, 2012 at 11:45 PM (#4225887)
Tevin Washington with an early entry into the "Stupidest ####### Pass of the Year" competition.
   261. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 04, 2012 at 10:05 PM (#4226720)
To make room for a linebacker who just got out of jail, Lane Kiffin refuses to renew scholarship of former walk-on:

Vehikite's return took on added significance because walk-on Will Andrew didn't have his scholarship renewed this week. Kiffin said he doesn't go out of his way to inform walk-ons when their scholarship is not renewed.

"They're never granted longer (than a year)," Kiffin said. "He was fortunate to have one for a year."

Andrew tried to be diplomatic about his predicament.

"Whatever the coaches ask me to do, I'll do," Andrew said. "The situation was out of my control."
   262. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: September 05, 2012 at 11:48 AM (#4227070)
a really classy move by kiffen there. i give it 2 years until he gets usc hit with sanctions
   263. Fernigal McGunnigle has become a merry hat Posted: September 05, 2012 at 12:58 PM (#4227196)
From 2 days ago:

I thought they were still investigating UNC. The NCAA is generally pretty slow to act on these things, the Penn State issue being the exception to the rule.

The NCAA apparently hasn't found anything. This is astonishing and mindblowing. My guess is that there are three factors:

1. The NCAA decided that it was just one guy (it was just the head of the Af-Am department, not the whole department). This is obviously a rationalization; the USC thing was basically one guy, for example. But I think the NCAA is telling itself this.
2. This is essentially part of same the "lack of institutional control" for which UNC is already being punished. A new investigation looks like double jeopardy. This is also a rationalization.
3. The NCAA realizes that it this should have turned up during its previous investigation, and they are trying to play down their own incompetence by minimizing the significance of these latest revelations.

I think that #3 is far and away the most important issue.

I hated football when I was a student at UNC, then sort of came to like it in later years. Now the program has become a massive embarrassment for a very proud institution. They should blow the ####### thing up and let the soccer teams play in Kenan Stadium.

264. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: September 05, 2012 at 01:11 PM (#4227217)
Kiffin said he doesn't go out of his way to inform walk-ons when their scholarship is not renewed.
But if Kiffin gave the kid a scholarship, then he's no longer a walk-on, right?
   265. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: September 05, 2012 at 03:55 PM (#4227428)
I have no problem with Kiffin not renewing a walkon's scholarship. But man up and tell him, arsehole.
   266. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: September 06, 2012 at 01:39 PM (#4228369)
So what's the most interesting game this weekend? The week two slate looks even weaker than the openers but I am interested in some of the SEC tilts:

Washington-LSU
Georgia-Mizzou
Florida-Texas A&M
   267. Spivey Posted: September 06, 2012 at 01:46 PM (#4228379)
Georgia-Mizzou intrigues me. Does the winner of Florida-A&M have a realistic chance of being that relevant this year?
   268. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 06, 2012 at 01:52 PM (#4228386)
I have no problem with Kiffin not renewing a walkon's scholarship. But man up and tell him, arsehole.

That's pretty much my thinking. Allowing the linebacker to re-join the team after a jail term? OK, we all deserve a second chance. Failing to renew a former walk-on's scholarship to make room for the linebacker? Cold-blooded, but it's what he gets paid to do. Deciding not to "go out of his way" to let the walk-on know, and then making an insulting, dismissive public comment when asked about it? It's the sort of unnecessary dickishness that Kiffin has reveled and wallowed in his whole career.
   269. Crosseyed and Painless Posted: September 06, 2012 at 02:16 PM (#4228415)
Auburn-Mississippi State's a huge game. Winner has inside track for fourth place in SEC West!
   270. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 06, 2012 at 08:16 PM (#4228776)
If the first 90 seconds is any indication, Cincy is going to humiliate Pitt.

So what's the most interesting game this weekend?

In addition to the games mentioned, I'm mildly interested in Nebraska-UCLA. Not really excited about it though. Iowa-Iowa State might be interesting, just because it's a rivalry. I think Georgia-Mizzou is the most interesting game of the weekend. I will follow Cuse-USC out of curiosity.

Does the winner of Florida-A&M have a realistic chance of being that relevant this year?

I seriously doubt it. Florida is bad, A&M is in the west.
   271. Every Inge Counts Posted: September 06, 2012 at 08:29 PM (#4228789)
Miami-Kansas State is another very interesting game.

Pittsburgh sucks bad...
   272. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 06, 2012 at 09:59 PM (#4228862)
very interested in UF at A&M, games at Kyle Field are just cool. I expect UGA to look good. Mizzou tends to crumble in these spotlight games.

N at UCLA is interesting to me, beyond being an alum, could be a 50/50 crowd knowing LA. Crowded evening of football. I'll keep an eye on UW at Oregon St.

Canes at KSU also worthy of space on one of my 3 tvs.
   273. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 06, 2012 at 10:25 PM (#4228887)
Munchie's 77 yard run was pretty awesome. I'm officially making time to watch Cincy-Va Tech in a couple weeks.
   274. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: September 07, 2012 at 01:16 PM (#4229442)
The SEC newcomers games will be fun. Neb-UCLA should be good, and I'm excited to attend Iowa-ISU.
   275. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 07, 2012 at 02:20 PM (#4229533)
I seriously doubt it. Florida is bad,

You shut your mouth. There's at least a five percent chance this isn't true.
   276. Joey B. Posted: September 07, 2012 at 02:57 PM (#4229571)
I want to see if FSU can cover the 70.5 points against Savannah St., which is believed to be the largest point spread ever for a D-1 game.
   277. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: September 07, 2012 at 03:35 PM (#4229624)
its very tempting to get in on that action, its pretty much a cant lose
   278. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 07, 2012 at 04:18 PM (#4229674)
That's pretty remarkable to see a line like that. I recall OU being favored by about 50 points or so in the 1986-1987 time frame vs Mizzou, KU or KSU, which for a conference game is unbelievable. I remember they beat Mizzou 77-0 one of those years. For awhile, you just wouldn't see published lines for these I-AA opponents.
   279. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 07, 2012 at 11:20 PM (#4229898)
Utah-Utah St. has turned into a pretty interesting game. The Utah St QB, Keeton, who almost beat Auburn last year, has played pretty well, as has the Utah St defense. Tied at 20 with 3 minutes left.
   280. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 07, 2012 at 11:54 PM (#4229921)
Utah St. wins!
   281. steagles Posted: September 08, 2012 at 01:36 AM (#4230005)
there's apparently a movie being made about posnanski's paterno book.

and apparently, al pacino has been cast as paterno.
   282. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: September 08, 2012 at 09:43 AM (#4230077)
Utah St. wins!

I'm going to continue to rationalize the Pac-12's clownshoes aspects by saying that they have higher academic standards than other conferences. That's all I got.
   283. hokieneer Posted: September 08, 2012 at 10:01 AM (#4230085)
I really wish WVU would have kept the FSU game this week. Not a huge slate of good games this weekend, that game would have easily been the biggest.

I understand why it was canceled, just disappointing.
   284. Spivey Posted: September 08, 2012 at 10:59 AM (#4230115)
WVU would have been well served to keep that game. They'd be the team that gets the early season bump for knocking Florida State out of their undeserved top 10 status.

Edit: This is more FSU snark than a real argument.
   285. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 08, 2012 at 11:23 AM (#4230135)
I'm going to continue to rationalize the Pac-12's clownshoes aspects by saying that they have higher academic standards than other conferences. That's all I got.

I think Utah St. is actually pretty good too. Wisconsin will have their hands full next week.

I understand why it was canceled, just disappointing.

Man, you are telling me. Stupid million dollar payout to destroy James Madison. And they cancelled the series too. Didn't just postpone it.

They'd be the team that gets the early season bump for knocking Florida State out of their undeserved top 10 status.

Word! Also, I've seen it mentioned multiple times that if WVU goes undefeated (not likely, but hey, it's early enough to dream) or has a loss, they will get bounced from the MNC game by a PAC-12 champ with the same record. With a win over FSU, that may not have been the case.
   286. hokieneer Posted: September 08, 2012 at 11:37 AM (#4230154)
Man, you are telling me. Stupid million dollar payout to destroy James Madison. And they cancelled the series too. Didn't just postpone it.

Well the main problem is the Marshall game (series). Going from 7 to 9 conference games are going to cause major problems in the scheduling. No way the Marshall game could have been cancelled, so that's 10. Everyone wants to a 1-AA team scheduled for the extra home gate (and in this particular case with JMU, there was a huge guaranteed payoff), that makes 11. That left MD, ECU, and @FSU. I assumed MD was favored because it's a current contract and has been a regional semi-rivalry for the last 15-20 years, which WVU has lost almost all of their regional rivalries over the past 3 decades (PSU, VT, Pitt, L'Ville/Cincy)

If this was 2013 (no more forced Marshall/WVU series), then WVU could have kept MD and FSU.
   287. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 08, 2012 at 11:47 AM (#4230158)
If this was 2013 (no more forced Marshall/WVU series), then WVU could have kept MD and FSU.

I am excited that the Marshall series is done. Although they are the only OOC bowl opponent WVU will face this year. Next year is going to be another dud, with ECU, MD, and William and Mary. According to this WVU plays Bama in the Georgia Dome in 2014. Whoa. I hope Geno's replacement (Childress probably right?) is ready for that.
   288. hokieneer Posted: September 08, 2012 at 12:02 PM (#4230176)
WVU also has another FedEx field game against BYU coming up sometime in the future. I also thought they have a series scheduled with Mich. St.

I guess one obvious explanation is WVU is attempting to schedule down a little to compensate for the jump in difficulty moving from the BE to the B12. Less of a need to play an Aurburn, LSU, FSU, etc every year when you already have TX, Ok, TCU, etc scheduled. I can see that logic, but as a fan I don't care for it.
   289. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 08, 2012 at 12:08 PM (#4230180)
WVU also has another FedEx field game against BYU coming up sometime in the future. I also thought they have a series scheduled with Mich. St.

Yes, now that you mention that. BYU is 2015. I am guessing MSU is sometime around then too.

I guess one obvious explanation is WVU is attempting to schedule down a little to compensate for the jump in difficulty moving from the BE to the B12. Less of a need to play an Aurburn, LSU, FSU, etc every year when you already have TX, Ok, TCU, etc scheduled. I can see that logic, but as a fan I don't care for it.

I agree that it makes sense. But I would guess that after a couple of years in the conference under Holgorsen, they will be ready to get back to more interesting matchups. Holgorsen isn't the kind of guy to shy away from big matchups and I think it's safe to say that their recruiting will take a step up. Maybe not on paper, but in terms of guys who actually make it to campus. That will give them the depth to take on a more taxing schedule.

Got UConn-NC State on and will switch to UVA-Penn St and K-State-Miami as it gets going.
   290. hokieneer Posted: September 08, 2012 at 12:20 PM (#4230188)
According to this WVU plays Bama in the Georgia Dome in 2014. Whoa. I hope Geno's replacement (Childress probably right?) is ready for that.

That will be current backup's Millard senior season, and if Childress keeps his redshirt, his sophomore season. Childress is clearly more talented and has more upside than Millard, so I assume he'll be the starter sometime in '13.
   291. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 08, 2012 at 12:26 PM (#4230191)
Childress is clearly more talented and has more upside than Millard, so I assume he'll be the starter sometime in '13.

Yeah, Millard hasn't gotten a ton of playing time, but he's been totally underwhelming in the time he has gotten.
   292. Daunte Vicknabbit! Posted: September 08, 2012 at 01:03 PM (#4230211)
I didn't even realize it was Saturday until I noticed all the annoying Noles and Canes posts on my Facebook this morning.

I couldn't possibly be less enthusiastic about the game today, apparently CFBF is far more optimistic than I am. Personally I'm not sure Will Muschamp could coach at a competent level in Florida 6A High School, let alone at the best football school in the state. I'm not enthused by our lack of playmakers on both sides of the ball, or by the cagey and boring-as-#### play of Driskel. Yuck.
   293. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: September 08, 2012 at 01:38 PM (#4230226)
Go Irish!
   294. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 08, 2012 at 01:52 PM (#4230243)
UConn-NC State is one of the worst games I've ever seen.

I am shocked at the beatdown MD is putting on Temple right now. I didn't think MD would have three scores all game. Here they are up 26-3 at the half.
   295. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: September 08, 2012 at 02:39 PM (#4230275)
Auburn is getting beat pretty good by Miss ST
   296. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 08, 2012 at 02:47 PM (#4230283)
Auburn is getting beat pretty good by Miss ST

Yeah they are. I wonder how many 6-8 win seasons it will take for a coach with a ring to get canned.
   297. SteveM. Posted: September 08, 2012 at 03:03 PM (#4230295)
As a Alabama fan,Auburn's struggles amuse the hell out of me.
   298. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 08, 2012 at 03:06 PM (#4230298)
Dan Mullen deserves a lot of praise for the job he's doing at MSU. Mississippi State should probably be the second-worst program in the SEC (behind only Vanderbilt), considering the lack of a natural recruiting base, the presence of a more appealing school in the same territory as an arch-rival, the lack of history and Starkville being the biggest joke of a college town in the entire conference.
   299. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: September 08, 2012 at 03:33 PM (#4230324)
Penn State goes down again, missing a last second field goal and falling to Virginia.
   300. SteveM. Posted: September 08, 2012 at 03:40 PM (#4230328)
I have two laptops and two tvs on with games. I have a college football problem.
Page 3 of 16 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine
for his generous support.