Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, August 30, 2012

OT: August 2012 College Football Thread

The 2012 College football thread!

Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: August 30, 2012 at 12:52 AM | 1503 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college football

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 16 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›
   401. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 12:56 PM (#4236554)
The sad thing is that Va Tech will lose this game by 40 and still go to a BCS game.
   402. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 15, 2012 at 01:11 PM (#4236560)
I know it is a new regime (although isn't is always at Pitt) but they've had some pretty horrific 2nd half meltdowns the past year plus.
   403. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 01:13 PM (#4236562)
Auburn and UL-Monroe are tied at 7. I think SEC teams may be thinking twice about scheduling them if they win today.
   404. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 01:16 PM (#4236565)
TCU is only up 7-6. From what I've seen, they are moving the ball very well, but just being sloppy with the ball. Kansas is easily the worst team in the Big 12, so TCU is going to need to step it up.
   405. Crosseyed and Painless Posted: September 15, 2012 at 01:18 PM (#4236568)
Auburn and UL-Monroe are tied at 7. I think SEC teams may be thinking twice about scheduling them if they win today.

What's the soonest a football coach has ever been fired after winning a national championship?
   406. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: September 15, 2012 at 01:29 PM (#4236573)

What's the soonest a football coach has ever been fired after winning a national championship?

My first thought was Larry Coker but I was surprised to look it up and see he got five more years.
   407. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 15, 2012 at 01:29 PM (#4236574)
Pitt's field goal kicker misses a chip shot at the half, still 21-3 at the half.

Edit: Kolton Browning with a monster run to go up on Auburn 14-7.
   408. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 15, 2012 at 01:38 PM (#4236579)
Don James resigned right before the '93 season, so while not technically fired, that might've happened had he hung around. The sanction cloud was thick, and if I recall he was at odds with the AD/President at UDub over the self imposed sanctions and wanted out.
   409. cmd600 Posted: September 15, 2012 at 01:44 PM (#4236583)
I think SEC teams may be thinking twice about scheduling them if they win today

The SEC outside Bama/LSU is just not that strong. I'm not sure why we let them drag up our expectations of the rest of the conference. I'm still up in the air on Georgia and Carolina. Also, I can't stand that Georgia just gets another free pass to a 10-2/11-1 season, SEC championship game and 10-15 ranking. The SEC East is incredibly mediocre, and will be decided by who gets to avoid Bama/LSU in crossover games. Georgia gets Ole Miss and Auburn. Yawn.
   410. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 15, 2012 at 02:04 PM (#4236595)
So, Bo Pelini took ill this morning, and he has not come back to the sidelines for the 2nd half. As Drudge likes to say

Developing...
   411. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 15, 2012 at 02:09 PM (#4236600)
Pelini left stadium in an ambulance.
   412. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 02:44 PM (#4236615)
TCU isn't putting this game away like they should. Va Tech and Ohio State struggling. I didn't think the early games would be good today, but they're looking real nice.
   413. cmd600 Posted: September 15, 2012 at 02:47 PM (#4236617)
Pelini left stadium in an ambulance.

Supposedly the flu.
   414. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 15, 2012 at 02:58 PM (#4236624)
Cal with the trickery, lucky to keep ball.
   415. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 03:04 PM (#4236626)
Pitt just put together a hell of a drive. It's incredible this team got their ass whooped by Youngstown State.
   416. cmd600 Posted: September 15, 2012 at 03:05 PM (#4236627)
I'm pretty amazed at the across-the-board performance of the Big 10. It's one thing for a conference to generally be down, but to see 11 of 12 teams put up a substandard performance before week 3 is even over (and MSU still has a chance to make it 12/12)?
   417. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 03:08 PM (#4236629)
Youngstown State would beat Virginia Tech by 80.
   418. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 03:09 PM (#4236630)
I'm pretty amazed at the across-the-board performance of the Big 10.

Nothing's really changed, except Wisconsin. They went from a really good team the last couple of years to so-so this year.
   419. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 15, 2012 at 03:27 PM (#4236640)
Cal's kicker is hilariously awful.
   420. cmd600 Posted: September 15, 2012 at 03:30 PM (#4236642)
Nothing's really changed, except Wisconsin. They went from a really good team the last couple of years to so-so this year.

This is not even close to true. Penn St has taken a huge dive. This is not a typical Ohio St performance, though again that's due to off the field circumstances. Even under Rodriguez, Michigan would wait until conference play to underachieve.
   421. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 03:31 PM (#4236643)
Damn it Cal, what the #### was that?
   422. cmd600 Posted: September 15, 2012 at 03:33 PM (#4236644)
Cal's kicker is hilariously awful

No idea why they kicked again. You have to be able to count on your o-line to get you just one yard. And its not simply 'we have to put points on the board'. You have to score, and you still have to stop Ohio St if you're going to win. Getting that last yard all but ensures you had the last possession of the game.
   423. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 15, 2012 at 03:34 PM (#4236645)
No idea why they kicked again.

Yep. Yep, yep, yep. I have no idea how Tedford watched those first two kicks and thought, "Yeah, he's got a better shot at making one than the offense has of moving one yard."
   424. Justin T., Director of Somethin Posted: September 15, 2012 at 03:40 PM (#4236646)
Tedford has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is a tremendous dumbass over the last several years.
   425. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 03:40 PM (#4236647)
This is not even close to true. Penn St has taken a huge dive. This is not a typical Ohio St performance, though again that's due to off the field circumstances. Even under Rodriguez, Michigan would wait until conference play to underachieve.

I don't think Michigan is much different than last year - they just had an easy schedule last year. They were always going to get blown out by Alabama, that's not under achieving. I guess they struggled against Air Force, but I'm not convinced they wouldn't have done that in previous years. This isn't a vintage Ohio State team, but it's better than last year. Nebraska I think is probably pretty similar to last year. I don't see real significant differences from last year.I think the Big 10 has shown itself to be pretty poor - bowl games are generally the biggest sample of good team vs. good team that we see in the season. The Big 10 has not impressed there. I guess based off of your comment, my immediate thought is to compare the Big 10 this year to last year.

Their Sagarin Rating as a conference is actually a little higher this year so far compared to last year. The main difference between the two years is that the Pac 10 is a little better this year, so they're now the worst conference of the Big 4.
   426. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 03:54 PM (#4236653)
Arkansas is not a good football team.
   427. cmd600 Posted: September 15, 2012 at 03:58 PM (#4236656)
425 - Michigan played almost the equivalent of Air Force last year - San Diego St, and won 28-7. And I'm not talking about just last year, or even full season performances. And I certainly would think Sagarin wouldn't argue that NW, Iowa, and Purdue are top 40, and Minny is top 60 based on just two weeks.

And I don't like to look at bowl performances, especially on their own, and for Big Ten teams. They are really the road team in just about every game, and because their fan bases travel well, they always get bumped to bigger games. Just once in 10 years has the Big Ten failed to get a 2nd team into the BCS.
   428. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 15, 2012 at 04:02 PM (#4236658)
Louisville scored 2 TDs against UNC already and looks unstoppable. Pitt takes down VA Tech, UConn takes down MD. Big day for the Big East against their rival conference.
   429. Der-K: Hipster doofus Posted: September 15, 2012 at 04:08 PM (#4236661)
Can you call it their rival conference if the ACC doesn't consider you their rival (more like a little brother - no, I'm not claiming ACC superiority or anything (especially not in football) - just that the Big East cares more about the ACC than vice versa)?
I guess so.
   430. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 15, 2012 at 04:12 PM (#4236665)
Can you call it their rival conference if the ACC doesn't consider you their rival (more like a little brother - no, I'm not claiming ACC superiority or anything (especially not in football) - just that the Big East cares more about the ACC than vice versa)?

Well, how about peer conference then?
   431. Der-K: Hipster doofus Posted: September 15, 2012 at 04:14 PM (#4236667)
Mind you, I live in Durham, work in Chapel Hill - ACC hoops central ... and I'm just talking mindset.
The Big East is _not_ perceived as a peer.

(Having said that, the Big East's average Sagarin ratings last year for men's hoops and this year for football top those of the ACC. Also, no one takes ACC football seriously.)
   432. hokieneer Posted: September 15, 2012 at 04:41 PM (#4236676)
There's also the fact the ACC has 5 of the original BE members.

I don't think you can call it a rival, not because the BE is a little brother (even pre 2012-15 departures), but because it can't be a rivalry if the ACC fans seem apathetic to football in general. Rivalries are 2 way exchanges.
   433. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 15, 2012 at 04:44 PM (#4236678)
Gotta think Charlie Strong will be Florida's first call if Muschamp doesn't work out in the next year or two.
   434. Der-K: Hipster doofus Posted: September 15, 2012 at 04:56 PM (#4236683)
But, even in basketball - I don't think "ACC fans" are that respectful of what the Big East built. Aware of, sure, but not respectful.

Part of it, I think, is because much of the conference is (was?) the same 8 schools for years and years - I remember GT (who I (arbitrarily?) root for, albeit kind of dispassionately) being treated as an interloper and that was even then ages ago - whereas the BE is a lot younger and more unwieldy a thing. Conversely, there's hokieneer's note, the taking of all those Big East schools... 'of course they'd rather be in the ACC'. (Actually, that does seem pretty straightforward to me, as a business decision for most of those schools, but that's not what I'm getting at.)

Anyway, all that's moot. BE is having a good day, bully for 'em.
   435. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 15, 2012 at 04:56 PM (#4236684)
Gotta think Charlie Strong will be Florida's first call if Muschamp doesn't work out in the next year or two.

Shoulda been the call before Muschamp. Strong has made it clear that feels strongly for Louisville since they gave him his first head coaching job. But Florida is probably one of two or three programs that could pry him away.
   436. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 15, 2012 at 05:06 PM (#4236690)
Shoulda been the call before Muschamp.

Florida's AD was asked about Strong at Muschamp's introductory press conference. He said he seriously considered Strong, but figured Charlie wouldn't leave Louisville after just one season.

Muschamp's always been more highly regarded as a DC than Strong, which is almost certainly unfair to Charlie, and I think reflects more on personality differences than an actual difference in skills between the two. Strong's not headbutting a player any time soon. But it worked out pretty well for Strong. Louisville's a good job, and if the ADs who were filling the gigs that were actually worth a damn weren't going to give Strong the time of day, he wasn't going to accept a lesser job just to be a head coach.
   437. SteveM. Posted: September 15, 2012 at 05:14 PM (#4236696)
I knew Bama was going to win, but didn't think Arkansas would put up such little fight. At least the defense can further pad its numbers in the 2nd ha;f.
   438. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 15, 2012 at 05:16 PM (#4236699)
Florida's AD was asked about Strong at Muschamp's introductory press conference. He said he seriously considered Strong, but figured Charlie wouldn't leave Louisville after just one season.

That's a good reason.

But it worked out pretty well for Strong. Louisville's a good job, and if the ADs who were filling the gigs that were actually worth a damn weren't going to give Strong the time of day, he wasn't going to accept a lesser job just to be a head coach.

Agreed. He can build something pretty awesome in Louisville until he gets the opportunity for a dream job. It's a pretty cool situation to be in. Personally, I hope he stays at Louisville for a long time. I've seen some people suggest Arkansas will go after him, but I don't think he leaves for that job.
   439. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 06:29 PM (#4236745)
Muschamp is, to be fair, a very good defensive coordinator.
   440. madvillain Posted: September 15, 2012 at 06:35 PM (#4236748)
Even under Rodriguez, Michigan would wait until conference play to underachieve.

Um, Toledo happened. You know, Michigan's first ever loss to a MAC team. #### RR, can't be said enough.
   441. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 06:39 PM (#4236752)
I am not 100% sure why I hate Arkansas so much, but I love them getting taken to the woodshed. And I don't like Alabama, either.
   442. madvillain Posted: September 15, 2012 at 06:42 PM (#4236756)
I knew Bama was going to win, but didn't think Arkansas would put up such little fight. At least the defense can further pad its numbers in the 2nd ha;f.

When you are allowed to run your program like a semi-pro team, you get what Bama is now. They oversign and hold "tryouts" every spring, they pay players through 3rd parties, help them cheat in class, etc, etc.

There is so much smoke around the SEC, that if there wasn't fire I'd be shocked.
   443. SteveM. Posted: September 15, 2012 at 06:50 PM (#4236765)

When you are allowed to run your program like a semi-pro team, you get what Bama is now. They oversign and hold "tryouts" every spring, they pay players through 3rd parties, help them cheat in class, etc, etc.

There is so much smoke around the SEC, that if there wasn't fire I'd be shocked.

Bull. I taught classes at Bama with players in it, and no one cheated in it. Its easier to be a big mouth on the internet when you know nothing.
   444. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 15, 2012 at 07:02 PM (#4236771)
Muschamp is, to be fair, a very good defensive coordinator.

No doubt. But then, so is Charlie Strong, and no one made Strong the coach in waiting at the best job in the country, no one gave Strong the keys to the second-best job in the country without one day of head coaching experience and, frankly, no one was willing to give Strong a half-decent job until Louisville came calling. I think that's the only point Cowboy and I are making.
   445. madvillain Posted: September 15, 2012 at 07:10 PM (#4236777)
Bull. I taught classes at Bama with players in it, and no one cheated in it. Its easier to be a big mouth on the internet when you know nothing.

Wow, touched a nerve eh? Grade inflation at the wonderful Alabama undergrad programs is probably so pronounced no "cheating" is necessary. All of CFB outside of the Ivies, and maybe Stanford, ND and Michigan steer players into easy classes, provide them with "assistance" in the form of tireless tudors, writing coaches, etc and in general make a mockery of the term "student athlete".

The cheating scandal at UNC is the tip of the iceberg my friend. I know you guys down there in SEC land firmly have your head planted in the sand on this, but trust me when I say that the system as as cannot stand, and will soon be exposed for the giant scam that it is. Heck, this past off season in CFB has probably already convinced everyone north of the Mason Dixon line that as current, CFB is a cesspool of cheating, shady characters, and exploitation.
   446. SteveM. Posted: September 15, 2012 at 07:16 PM (#4236778)
Wow, touched a nerve eh? Grade inflation at the wonderful Alabama undergrad programs is probably so pronounced no "cheating" is necessary. All of CFB outside of the Ivies, and maybe Standford, ND and Michigan steer players into easy classes, provide them with "assistance" in the form of tireless tudors, writing coaches, etc and in general make a mockery of the term "student athlete"

No, but you questioned the honesty of every grad assistant and professor at a major university. You might want to do some actual research before shooing your big mouth on something you know nothing about. And who gives aa damn what some Yankees think about the SEC?
   447. cmd600 Posted: September 15, 2012 at 07:28 PM (#4236781)
Um, Toledo happened. You know, Michigan's first ever loss to a MAC team. #### RR, can't be said enough.

Toledo happened after 2 games against Big 10 teams.

Not that Rodriguez was actually good, but any Michigan fan (as you seem to be) NEEDS to read 3 and Out. Rodriguez never had a chance, even if he would have been given the money to sign a real D-Coordinator.
   448. cmd600 Posted: September 15, 2012 at 07:32 PM (#4236785)

Congrats on running what you thought was a clean class. That doesn't change the fact that there are, rightfully so, a lot of questions about what is going on with a lot of football programs, especially in the SEC West.
   449. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 15, 2012 at 07:50 PM (#4236806)
Florida's short yardage running game is simply awful. Gillislee was met by at least three Vols on third and goal.

It won't matter much if Muschamp can't figure out a way to cover UT's receivers. Hunter and Patterson are eating UF's secondary alive.
   450. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 08:17 PM (#4236832)
No doubt. But then, so is Charlie Strong, and no one made Strong the coach in waiting at the best job in the country, no one gave Strong the keys to the second-best job in the country without one day of head coaching experience and, frankly, no one was willing to give Strong a half-decent job until Louisville came calling. I think that's the only point Cowboy and I are making.

I think Texas made a mistake making Muschamp the coach in waiting. I say that now, but I didn't say it then. But I think they were getting sick of losing their top line coordinators and overreacted. I actually think Strong is a guy I'd like Texas to consider in 5-10 years when Mack Brown's time is done.
   451. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 08:19 PM (#4236838)
I think the SEC, or at least a lot of it, bends the rules more than other conferences. Or maybe more accurately, they aggressively exploit loopholes. But Big 10 fan complaints of the SEC generally just reek of jealousy to me. And I hear plenty of them, living in Big 10 country.
   452. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 08:27 PM (#4236842)
There are some really good games on now.

ND/MSU
Tennessee/Florida
Stanford/USC

All parts of the country, too.

Edit: Also, Gus Johnson is doing the USC game. Life is good.
   453. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 15, 2012 at 08:33 PM (#4236845)
And Wisconsin is losing to Utah St. Lots of cool games on right now.
   454. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 15, 2012 at 08:36 PM (#4236849)
Western Kentucky is beating Kentucky. That would have to be huge for WKU.
   455. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 08:46 PM (#4236856)
USC just got 24 yards on 4th and 19. Taking it to the 2 yard line.
   456. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 15, 2012 at 08:50 PM (#4236859)
pretty intense game (USC at Stan). Meanwhile UF is just taking the game over, oddly right after their own botched fake punt. Texas at Ole Miss fans not gonna be happy when 9:15 pm est comes along and there's still 10 minutes left to go in UF v Fla.
   457. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 15, 2012 at 08:51 PM (#4236860)
Barkley has taken a beating early so far.
   458. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 15, 2012 at 08:56 PM (#4236863)
Pac 12 lovers can't hide Colorado. Fresno St 28-0 in the 1st qtr.

Edit: make it 35-love.

SEC ignoring UK too, WKU still having their way with the kitties.
   459. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 15, 2012 at 09:00 PM (#4236867)
Boy, I would have gone for it on fourth and one if I was Derek Dooley.
   460. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 09:11 PM (#4236874)
Stanford is such a fun team to watch. They're just so damn large.
   461. JJ1986 Posted: September 15, 2012 at 09:15 PM (#4236876)
I can't believe how bad some of these kickers are.
   462. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 09:15 PM (#4236877)
Tennessee's done!

Kansas State and Baylor struggling from the Big 12.
   463. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 09:20 PM (#4236883)
This Stanford/USC game has had a lot of action.
   464. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 09:23 PM (#4236885)
MATT BARKLEY FOR THE HEISMAN!
   465. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 15, 2012 at 09:31 PM (#4236892)
Stanford very unlucky in that first half, and with one of several miserable Pac 12 kickers to boot. At least Barkley was picked twice.
   466. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 15, 2012 at 09:33 PM (#4236893)
Even w/ 3 tvs, hard to keep up tonight. I haven't seen that many snaps, but every time I turn over to USU at UW, Montee Ball is getting stuffed.
   467. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 09:43 PM (#4236899)
Manny Diaz is such a good coordinator. He's going to be a head coach in a couple of years.
   468. cmd600 Posted: September 15, 2012 at 09:43 PM (#4236901)
Or maybe more accurately, they aggressively exploit loopholes

This is more accurate. Also, the SEC and Big 10 (as conferences, not just individually among teams) look quite differently on how teams get to 25 and 85. Big 10 teams have to provide explanations for why they offer scholarships to anyone who might take them over the limit. Meanwhile Saban has repeatedly gotten away with 'no comment' anytime he gets asked which 85 guys are on scholarship.

I wouldn't say jealousy as much as frustration. It's like SEC teams are allowed a 10 yard headstart in a 100 yard dash.
   469. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 15, 2012 at 09:44 PM (#4236902)
I would not have bet much money on Florida coming out of Knoxville with a three-score win. UF's been 4-0 each of the last two seasons only to tank the rest of the campaign, but this feels a little different.
   470. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 09:47 PM (#4236903)
The Florida QB looks good to me. He had a play where he knew he was going to get lit up by two defenders and threw a great pass to the corner of the end zone for a touchdown. He also had a really nice scramble. He's young so he'll probably embarrass himself against Alabama or LSU, but he's shown the promise to be the QB of a contender in a couple of years. Which I think is what Florida fans ultimately really want to know.
   471. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 15, 2012 at 09:49 PM (#4236905)
I'm ready to start semi-believing in Florida. I still don't think they win the East, but that's two impressive road wins (impressive for pulling away in the second half, not necessarily who they beat).
   472. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 09:51 PM (#4236907)
Tennessee and A&M aren't world beaters, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find more than a couple of teams in the country with better road wins so far this year.
   473. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 15, 2012 at 09:54 PM (#4236910)
Florida gets what looks to be a uniquely awful Kentucky team at home next week. And then...LSU, which should drag things back to Earth a bit. But from what I've seen of Georgia and South Carolina, I think UF can definitely compete with those guys. Penciling in UF for third place in the division still seems wise. But I'm allowing myself to get a little excited.
   474. JJ1986 Posted: September 15, 2012 at 10:03 PM (#4236913)
Ridiculous for Shaw to call for that FG attempt.
   475. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM (#4236918)
Bah. Kentucky pulls even with Western Kentucky on a TD pass with 25 seconds left.
   476. puck Posted: September 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM (#4236919)
Pac 12 lovers can't hide Colorado. Fresno St 28-0 in the 1st qtr.

Edit: make it 35-love.

I can't believe a team can be that bad. They lost at home (and thus at altitude) to Sacramento St. They did everything against Fresno--interception, give up 90+ yard pass play, 90+ yard run play, lots of little penalties (motion, etc.)
   477. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 15, 2012 at 10:22 PM (#4236925)
Wow, Mizzou tried to give away that game, and then ASU refused to take it.
   478. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 15, 2012 at 10:27 PM (#4236928)
Western Kentucky beats Kentucky in overtime. After UK scores a quick TD, WKU responds with one of their own. The Hilltoppers go for two and throw a lateral to the running back, who tosses back across the field to the quarterback, who scampers in for the winning conversion.

Football!
   479. I am going to be Frank Posted: September 15, 2012 at 10:42 PM (#4236937)
Wow its been a long time since the glory days of Kordell, Rashaan Salaam and Michael Westbrook.
   480. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 15, 2012 at 10:55 PM (#4236941)
USC v Stanford just a terrific football game.

UW trying to kill clock, lucky to get a PI call on USU on third down, but they still got to kill clock here. QB DOB was benched at half for J Stave, a rFR, coached by a close friend of mine in high school.
   481. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: September 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM (#4236942)
This Stanford USC game is stupendous. Stanford's OC is a marvelous play-caller.

Re: SEC ########, the above posts are stupid from all regards. Alabama is a dirty program and the players all cheat. But the same is true at Michigan and ND and every other goddamned school in the country. Hell, the football players cheated and were funneled to no-work classes at my Ivy alma-mater. Everyone cheats, so setting up this false SEC=dirty, B1G=clean dichotomy is stupid. Its a question of degree, not of kind. Though former-Bama prof claiming everything is on the up and up is just as stupid in his own way.
   482. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:04 PM (#4236946)
Am I crazy, or is Stanford basically running a single wing offense?
   483. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM (#4236947)
The USC/Stanford game has been the game of the year thus far. I had to miss a bit to watch my boys from Texas. But Stanford has really put together a hell of a program. They're the West Coast Wisconsin with their offensive line and tight end play.
   484. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:07 PM (#4236948)
USC just doesn't have the personel to match up with this. Ther athleticism is totally neutralized.
   485. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:09 PM (#4236949)
USC just doesn't have the personel to match up with this. Ther athleticism is totally neutralized.

Stanford's so ####### huge, it's insane. Their defense can struggle against teams like Oregon, but USC doesn't have Oregon speed.
   486. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM (#4236951)
I agree with throwing on 3rd and 9 there. You pick it up, the game's close to over. With the clock stopping for first downs, having time outs on offense is highly overrated in college.
   487. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM (#4236952)
Wow, Mizzou tried to give away that game, and then ASU refused to take it.
Accurate statement. Although I feel better about this loss than I do following last year's loss at Illinois.

Next three weeks: Utah, @Cal, @COL. That's a runnable stretch.
   488. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM (#4236953)
Dammit, Stanford has to punt. This game is great.

Meanwhile, Utah State's kicker fanned a 37 yd attempt to win it. Bucky and BB escape.
   489. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM (#4236954)
With the exception of the pass on 3rd and 9, I think every play on that drive was run out of single wing or jumbo. SC's DTs looked like they were about to fall over.
   490. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:12 PM (#4236957)
i am glad for the players, but the wisconsin head coach is running out of people to blame. offensive line coach. quarterback.

pretty soon you fat son of a b8tch you better look in the mirror and accept that you are not doing a good job.

how about you take some accountability you homer simpson wanna be? stop stuffing yourself with donuts and do your godd8mn job.

these kids want to succeed. somebody has to show them how.

lazy, sack of sh8t
   491. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:13 PM (#4236958)
Gus Johnson is perfect for this game.
   492. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:13 PM (#4236959)
Well, that's going to be reviewed.
   493. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:14 PM (#4236960)
ooh, last year USC was a victim on replay in this game, I think this gets overturned in UsC favor.
   494. Spivey Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:15 PM (#4236961)
Harvey,
I agree Wisconsin has badly underperformed. But Wisconsin played a couple of really good teams straight up in the Rose Bowl the last two years after winning the Big 10. That's about the ceiling of what should be expected from Wisconsin.
   495. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:15 PM (#4236962)
I think Lee made the catch, but I also think he got away with a push-off.
   496. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:16 PM (#4236964)
Barkley is a different QB when you get his jersey dirty.
   497. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:17 PM (#4236966)
Yeah, off PI called as often as sideline violations, though Utah State was called for it (correctly) in that last drive.
   498. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:17 PM (#4236967)
I don't recall Barkley taking as many hits as he has tonight.
   499. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:18 PM (#4236968)
holding, flip, flip, flip
   500. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 15, 2012 at 11:18 PM (#4236969)
flip goddamnit.
Page 5 of 16 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Martin Hemner
for his generous support.