Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, November 16, 2015

Ot: 2015-2016 NHL Thread

Better late than never.

Meatwad Posted: November 16, 2015 at 12:34 AM | 251 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nhl, ot

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 > 
   1. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: November 16, 2015 at 01:50 PM (#5096295)
Holy cow are the Penguins a train wreck.
   2. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: November 16, 2015 at 02:48 PM (#5096381)
Patrick Kane is off to a pretty great start. The non-elite Jonathan Toews isn't (Hossa isn't either, but really only on the scoresheet; he's still been his amazing two way player self).

Both Anisimov and Panarin have been great fits/finds, and form an amazing line with Kane. The Hawks can't find another winger to go with Toews/Hossa on the top line, having already tried Garbutt, Shaw, Teravainen, Tikhonov, Dano, and the since demoted Bickell (and Kane and Panarin have also taken shifts there).

The defense has been a big problem though, at times (mostly when Keith was hurt). Seabrook is having a great year, and Hjalmarsson has been steady as well, but the other spots have all been question marks, with the Hawks leaking stories they're looking for another blue liner twice already. TVR has been much better of late, but beyond that is still a question mark.

It's been fun seeing so many guys make debuts this year (I think 6 or 7 guys have made their NHL debuts so far), and I do expect the Hawks to round into better shape come playoff time.
   3. Kiko Sakata Posted: November 16, 2015 at 03:37 PM (#5096441)
The defense has been a big problem though, at times (mostly when Keith was hurt). Seabrook is having a great year, and Hjalmarsson has been steady as well, but the other spots have all been question marks, with the Hawks leaking stories they're looking for another blue liner twice already. TVR has been much better of late, but beyond that is still a question mark.

Not that they don't still have question marks, but with Keith and Roszival healthy, they are at least running out 6 defensemen that I think are all at least NHL caliber: Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Daley, Roszival, and Van Riemsdyk. Although there is definitely a big gap between the top 3 and the bottom 3.
   4. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: November 16, 2015 at 04:46 PM (#5096519)
Considering how bad Rozival looked before he broke his ankle (and remembering how old he is), I'm not exactly ready to say he's NHL caliber, in spite of a quiet first 2 games back. I think Gustafsson was getting better (and Svedberg a lost cause), but Daley's always going to have some issues on the defense part so he has to be paired with someone better than Rozival when it really matters. It's nice to have a shutdown pair in Keith/Hjalmarrson or Seabrook, so they could still use another guy for when Rozival proves he's done so they don't have to have 3 pairs of one good/one bad (though that might undersell TVR).
   5. ursus arctos Posted: November 16, 2015 at 05:35 PM (#5096568)
The Flames and Ducks are bigger train wrecks than the Penguins (who are only one point outside of a playoff spot).
   6. Yardape Posted: November 16, 2015 at 06:36 PM (#5096614)
The Flames and Ducks are bigger train wrecks than the Penguins (who are only one point outside of a playoff spot).

The Flames are somewhat predictable, and really, who doesn't enjoy seeing Brian Burke driving a flaming train?

The Ducks, though...
   7. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: November 16, 2015 at 08:33 PM (#5096675)
The Penguins, employers of Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Phil Kessel, and Kris Letang, are currently 27th in the league in scoring, against a lackluster schedule. Their power play ranks 29th. They're 10-7 only because their goaltender has been playing out of his mind. That is a train wreck.

I'm optimistic about them, though. Their coach is utterly incompetent; that's pretty near the entire problem, I think. What is inevitably going to happen is that Fleury is going to cool off and even endure a slump, and they will suffer some injuries, and then they will lose six straight games by a combined score of something like 31-4, and Johnston will be fired. I expect they will immediately and dramatically improve from that point.
   8. vagab0nd is still a champion Posted: November 16, 2015 at 09:27 PM (#5096699)

The CBJ's dumpster fire is so bad it doesn't even warrant a mention :( At least they beat the Pens in Pittsburgh. Saad's been great, as has Hartnell (plenty of time left on both Hartnell & Umberger's deals, but I think it's safe to put that trade down as a win for the Jackets), and William Karlsson (another trade that can be marked down as a win) has been a revelation. Now just to get Johansen, Foligno, and Bobrovsky going and maybe they can string together a few.

But, since it's the Jackets, they'll probably suffer significant devastating injuries* and be officially out of the playoffs by the end of the month. They'll play great once they're eliminated though!

I'm optimistic about them, though. Their coach is utterly incompetent; that's pretty near the entire problem, I think. What is inevitably going to happen is that Fleury is going to cool off and even endure a slump, and they will suffer some injuries, and then they will lose six straight games by a combined score of something like 31-4, and Johnston will be fired. I expect they will immediately and dramatically improve from that point.

So, basically the Jackets plan... except Bobrovsky started off the season ice cold.

*- With Dubinsky and Wennberg out for the next 2-3 weeks, they're already missing 2 of the top 3 centers. Any more injuries might reach the "devastating" point. On the bright side, Clarkson is out.
   9. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: November 16, 2015 at 09:28 PM (#5096701)
The Jackets aren't that good, but they're not that bad. The whole story there is that their goalie started the year on a mega-slump and got the coach fired.
   10. vagab0nd is still a champion Posted: November 17, 2015 at 09:57 AM (#5096829)
That's a clown summary, bro. This is a team that was widely projected to advance in the playoffs, not be out of contention before Thanksgiving. They finished last year 15-1-1 and then picked up Seth Rollins, er, Brandon Saad without blowing up the team. They're a young, talented team but had a coach who was way too nice and didn't hold anyone accountable - which is why the started poorly all 4 years under Richards. When they fell flat on their faces this year, they didn't know what to do and Richards was just as lost. Swap him out for a coach who isn't afraid to fight an entire team, fan, or reporter, and I think you can see how and why they're starting to respond. This isn't the first time a young team has needed a stronger voice leading them and it won't be the last team.

That said, like the penguins, they still need blue line help and need to prove they can play at a high level for more than just couple of weeks.
   11. vagab0nd is still a champion Posted: November 27, 2015 at 09:57 PM (#5102814)
They might not be good, they might not be bad, but they're 2-0 against Pittsburgh this season and 5-1 against them over the last two years. So, we got that going for us, which is nice.
   12. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: November 27, 2015 at 10:14 PM (#5102816)
And Dubinsky's as classy as ever.
   13. vagab0nd is still a champion Posted: November 27, 2015 at 10:22 PM (#5102818)
Almost as classy as Malkin!
   14. vagab0nd is still a champion Posted: November 27, 2015 at 10:29 PM (#5102820)
Or Hornqvist. Are those guys that annoying against everyone?
   15. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: November 27, 2015 at 10:47 PM (#5102824)
Hornqvist is. He's been putting in extra hours at the Tomas Holmstrom Academy. I'm not sure what exactly about Malkin annoyed you. It's kind of sad that Malkin has to be the one to go after Dubinsky for that flagrant cheap shot for which he should, but won't, serve a long suspension.
   16. vagab0nd is still a champion Posted: November 27, 2015 at 11:20 PM (#5102837)
The Dubi shot was bad. After watching the replay multiple times, it doesn't look intentional, Crosby looks like Crosby's bending down a bit right as Dubi's about to hit him in the shoulders again, and because of that, Dubi hits him in the head. Dubi's comments after seem more like "oops I ###### up" than "oh #### I got caught". But, I'm clearly biased, so I'm probably wrong there. Most importantly, it's good that there was no serious injury.

Malkin was chippy all game, and he seemed like he was looking for a fight from the first puck drop. He was ready to go well before the Crosby/Dubi shenanigans, and before Hornqvist's dangerous check on Calvert (a shot that was very similar to the check that Stepan took earlier today).
   17. vagab0nd is still a champion Posted: November 27, 2015 at 11:40 PM (#5102845)
After watching the replay multiple times, it doesn't look intentional, Crosby looks like Crosby's bending down a bit right as Dubi's about to hit him in the shoulders again, and because of that, Dubi hits him in the head.

Just to clarify, I still think it deserves a penalty and I wouldn't ##### at all about a 1 game suspension. There's no place in hockey for head shots.
   18. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: November 28, 2015 at 12:10 AM (#5102863)
What about the second cross-check to Crosby's slumped over, still body, hard enough to break his stick?

Malkin's been pissed off in general lately because the team's coach is forcing them into a system you couldn't design any better if your goal was to stymie the Penguins' offensive talent, and the press is pestering the players with leading questions in hopes of getting someone to admit they don't like the coach (hasn't worked yet) and the team has underperformed because of it.
   19. vagab0nd is still a champion Posted: November 28, 2015 at 12:33 AM (#5102872)
What about the second cross-check to Crosby's slumped over, still body, hard enough to break his stick?

Honestly? To me, the stick looked like it broke pretty easily, potentially on the previous hit. Why he did it, I don't know, but (because I like Dubi and haven't seen him be dirty before like this) I'm going to assume he didn't realize he hit Crosby where he did and thought that Crosby was faking it to draw a penalty.

Frustration is a pretty good explanation for Malkin. That team has too much offensive talent to be relying on Fluery pitching a shutout every game.
   20. vagab0nd is still a champion Posted: November 28, 2015 at 11:43 PM (#5103348)
Just to clarify, I still think it deserves a penalty and I wouldn't ##### at all about a 1 game suspension. There's no place in hockey for head shots.

Well, the NHL agreed with me... which, given their history, probably means I couldn't be more wrong about this.
   21. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: November 29, 2015 at 12:44 AM (#5103362)
   22. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: December 02, 2015 at 06:25 PM (#5105963)
It's been amazing how great of a fit Anisimov has been with the Hawks. That line with him, Kane and Panarin is the only reason the Hawks are still in the playoff face. The Hawks still have a terrible hole on that first line with Toews*, but I think the tradeoff from Saad to Anisimov has been well worth it overall. Add to it that Anisimov is cheaper, and there's still time for Dano to make an impact, I think this move has worked out better for the Hawks than I thought it would. Saad still has plenty of time to make the Hawks regret moving him, but that hasn't happened yet.

*Toews is playing with Shaw and Garbutt right now, which would make total sense if they were supposed to be a checking line. I guess that's kind of how they're being used, and if Toews doesn't get better (or healthy, if he's secretly hurt) soon it'll be a waste.
   23. Cabbage Posted: December 02, 2015 at 10:44 PM (#5106100)
It's been amazing how great of a fit Anisimov has been with the Hawks. That line with him, Kane and Panarin is the only reason the Hawks are still in the playoff face. The Hawks still have a terrible hole on that first line with Toews*, but I think the tradeoff from Saad to Anisimov has been well worth it overall. Add to it that Anisimov is cheaper, and there's still time for Dano to make an impact, I think this move has worked out better for the Hawks than I thought it would.

I'm just excited to have some Russians on the team. For all the time I spend at Chicagoland's primary Russian immigrant parish, you'd think I'd know some NHLers by now.
   24. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: December 04, 2015 at 10:42 AM (#5107058)
Speaking of the Russians, Tikhonov should be playing ahead of at least Manshitter, if not also Kero.

Who would have thought the first time the Hawks get a Hart finalist during this run, it would be for one of their worst* teams?

*There's some problems now, and they could turn it around; this by no means I think they're not contenders this year. In fact, I'm sure they'll be better in March than they are today.
   25. vagab0nd is still a champion Posted: December 04, 2015 at 01:34 PM (#5107261)
I loved Artie and was sad to see him go, he had health issues in 2 of his 3 CBJ years (last season was a concussion followed by a torn triceps), hopefully he has better health in Chicago.

Haven't seen much of CHI this year, but what's going on with Toews and Hossa? Do they miss Saad?
   26. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: December 07, 2015 at 11:53 AM (#5108939)
And the Tikhonov era in Chicago last as long as that post I made. Hawks waived him - claimed by the Coyotes (who actually drafted him back in the day) - so they could recall Bickell. Bickell actually played really well in Rockford, so it figures that he'd get another chance.

Haven't seen much of CHI this year, but what's going on with Toews and Hossa? Do they miss Saad?

Q changes the lines so much, it's impossible to say any one player misses another. And while Saad was the most common 3rd guy next to them, I doubt him not being there is the specific reason they both struggled. Then again, the bums that have played with them (see post 2) have clearly been steps down and surely contributed to some of it.

With Hossa, just like last year, he's playing well but has just been somewhat snakebit and unlucky - but this is a clear trend of his SH% declining so it very well may be part of his aging process. Toews has been much, much better the last week plus, so I still wonder if there was an injury. Last couple games, Toews/Hossa/Tuevo have been a line, and it seems to be working for all of them (and just makes more sense that Shaw or Garbutt).

Daley had a scary injury yesterday, and the Hawks were already souring on him/looking to move him/upgrade, so the blueline is still a bit of a concern.
   27. vagab0nd is still a champion Posted: December 11, 2015 at 12:35 PM (#5112582)
   28. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: December 14, 2015 at 09:32 PM (#5114373)
I'm so sorry, Blackhawks fans.
   29. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: December 14, 2015 at 09:35 PM (#5114377)
I'm just as sorry. Daley is quite an adventure back there. And for an offensive defenseman, he sure has trouble siming at the goal.
   30. Meatwad Posted: January 02, 2016 at 01:43 PM (#5124285)
John Scott was voted in as an all star game captain. the internet has won.
   31. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: January 02, 2016 at 02:06 PM (#5124297)
I'm going to estimate the chance Scott actually shows up for All-Star festivities at approximately 0%.

Challenge trade update: Daley has played like an adequate bottom-pairing defenseman for the Penguins. Scuderi has continued to be the worst defenseman in the NHL for the Blackhawks.
   32. Meatwad Posted: January 02, 2016 at 02:28 PM (#5124321)
I really liked the jerseys the Habs wore yesterday for the classic. great look wish they would use it more often
   33. vagab0nd is still a champion Posted: January 02, 2016 at 05:15 PM (#5124422)
CBJ might not be any good at identifying blue liners, but they are pretty good at identifying graphic designers.
   34. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: January 06, 2016 at 06:36 PM (#5127671)
Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen. Whoa.
   35. vagab0nd is still a champion Posted: January 06, 2016 at 06:49 PM (#5127688)
I'm just glad they didn't trade Joey to the Kings.
   36. vagab0nd is still a champion Posted: January 06, 2016 at 07:29 PM (#5127727)
After some more time to think over this trade, I'm good with it. Jackets are 3-0 this season without Johansen. Clearly that trend will continue and the Jackets will win out and sweep the playoffs.
   37. Meatwad Posted: January 06, 2016 at 10:35 PM (#5127923)
Letang just took a run at panarin got was kinda dirty, towes went after him.
   38. Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb Posted: January 07, 2016 at 02:46 AM (#5128022)
I really like rotoworld.com and I don't even play fantasy. It's how I keep up with sports to be honest. Unfortunately, they don't do the best job with hockey.

Pittsburgh goalie Marc-Andre Fleury played well, turning aside 34 shots, but was on the losing end of a 3-1 outcome against the Blackhawks in Chicago Wednesday night.
Fleury, who recently returned from an eight-game absence (concussion), now has a record of 14-11-3. His goals-against average is 2.29 and his save percentage is .926. At 31, Fleury's best days are most likely behind him.

His GAA and save percentage are both the best figures he has ever posted and 31 isn't even old for a goalie.
   39. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: January 07, 2016 at 02:58 AM (#5128023)
Fleury played out of his mind and kept close a game that the Penguins by rights should have lost 6-1.

I'm not worried about it, though. They just had no legs right from the opening faceoff. It happens sometimes when you play back-to-backs, and they got the better of the Blackhawks the night before, though the bounces went Chicago's way.
   40. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: January 07, 2016 at 10:43 AM (#5128170)
The Hawks have been really quite good for the past month or so. I didn't expect them to look like this until a lot closer to March. There's still some holes - the blue line still could use another true 2nd pairing guy*. They still don't have an ideal wing for the Toews/Hossa line, but they haven't really had as good of a scoring line in any of their previous Cup runs like they do with the Kane line this year, so they might be able to compensate for that if they still get scoring from the 3rd (so far, so good) and 4th (currently a mess, eventually will end up with Kruger and Shaw and another guy, so will be fine) lines. Also, this has been Crawford's best year. It's way too early, but the Hawks are right on pace to be Cup contenders/West favorite again**.

*And that, Zeth, was the value of the Daley/Scuderi trade for the Hawks - the cap space the Hawks opened up (with the Pens retaining salary) will allow them to add that D-man at the trade deadline. Without that (or an injury to another player with a bigger cap hit, like Kane's last year), they'd have been stuck with this group and only 3 real blue liners.

**Along with the Kings. Stars are close, but I want to see how they end up and if they really have enough defense/goaltending. Beyond those 3 though...
   41. Meatwad Posted: January 11, 2016 at 02:38 PM (#5131233)
Hawks have made up a lot of ground on dallas, but the rest of the month will be interesting. They play the preds and the habs twice each and the blues once during that strech.
   42. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: January 11, 2016 at 04:47 PM (#5131404)
Hawks have made up a lot of ground on dallas

Only 4 points back now. I kinda expect the Hawks to pass them before the season's over, saving a major injury (though while I'm making predictions, the Kings will finish with the most points in the West, thanks to fattening up on their division down the stretch). Hawks have 3 rookies making big contributions to keeping the team at this level, and replacing the lost depth over the years: Panarin (the obvious one), but now Denault and Gustafsson (neither of whom started the year with in the NHL). Denault looks like a more offensive minded Marcus Kruger - and has said the team has asked him to emulate Kruger's game; I'm pretty happy if the Hawks go into the playoffs with the centers going Toews/Anisimov/Denault/Kruger. One more wing is needed, could be Dano, could be Panik, could be someone else not here yet...
   43. Meatwad Posted: January 12, 2016 at 01:14 AM (#5131705)
I like the Hawks outlook for the future, lots of cheap guys who you can use to fill the gaps and keep the hawks contending. I'v only been watching the HAwks so I dont know much about the other teams but the caps look pretty good this year but are they for real?
   44. Jose Remains The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: January 12, 2016 at 06:57 AM (#5131724)
From what I've seen the Caps are legit. Holtby is terrific and they are a lot more committed physically and defensively than they've been in recent years. I also think that while Green is a hell of a player that they are better off without him. He kind of epitomized that offense first approach. They are buyers by what Trotz is selling it seems.
   45. Cabbage Posted: January 21, 2016 at 10:47 AM (#5139090)
In case you hadn't noticed, it's January and Patrick Kane has already tied his career high in goals.
   46. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: January 21, 2016 at 02:31 PM (#5139329)
There isn't much more to say about the Hawks. They are just a machine, doesn't matter who fills out the rest of the roster almost. It also seems like Kane is really playing to a level people though he could/should and it helps he is playing with a real center with offensive talent for once (nothing against Richards last year, but we're not talking about prime Richards here). Crawford is also having a career year.

They made another minor trade today - Garbutt for Sekac; Sekac is the more skilled of the two so he makes more sense on the roster. Interesting that the Hawks have already traded both pieces they got from Sharp, but regardless, there really isn't a major hole right now (as I keep saying, perhaps a 2nd pairing Dman would be nice).
   47. Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb Posted: January 21, 2016 at 11:26 PM (#5139794)
The Leafs are terrible but James Reimer has been excellent for them. 1.98 GAA, .937 save percentage, and all he has to show for it is an 8-7-5 record.
   48. Meatwad Posted: January 31, 2016 at 08:55 PM (#5146695)
very entertaining asg tonight. was worth watching it.
   49. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: January 31, 2016 at 10:03 PM (#5146717)
The John Scott Retirement Party was great fun all around.
   50. Gaelan Posted: February 01, 2016 at 02:20 AM (#5146772)
This was an amusing thread to read for the first time on February 1st.

In case you don't follow hockey, the Blackhawks are either the best or second best team in the NHL and John Scott did, indeed, play in the all-star game, scored two goals, won the MVP, wrote an interesting article, became famous, and is, I bet, about to be hired as a TV analyst.

So yeah, some stuff has changed.
   51. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: February 01, 2016 at 11:50 AM (#5146923)
The John Scott Retirement Party was great fun all around.

Why am I supposed to have enjoyed this farce? I appreciate the idea that people made the NHL looks like fools, but over John Scott? Did Raffi Torres's latest suspension preclude him from participating? That's not fair to Scott, and as plenty of people have repeated ad nauseam through this whole thing, plenty of people think Scott is a nice guy. But that piece he "wrote" for Jeter's magazine was garbage. Blergh, everything about it was a disgrace.

<i>In case you don't follow hockey, the Blackhawks are either the best or second best team in the NHL<?i>

You can follow how the team improved through my posts! They're good now thanks to me!
   52. Mark Edward Posted: February 01, 2016 at 12:12 PM (#5146950)
I agree with Moses. Maybe it was because I actually had to watch Scott play on a semi-consistent basis but I wasn't really feeling the love for him.

Maybe I'm too cynical about the whole thing, but I wouldn't want the MLB All-Star Game turning into the Willie Bloomquist retirement celebration.
   53. Meatwad Posted: February 01, 2016 at 12:30 PM (#5146961)
I dont think its something that could ever be done again, but I enjoyed it. the best part was seeing the players actually try when they were out there. wasnt 100% effort but you could tell they were doing more than they would in past games. for now I think the 3-3 is a good way to play it.
   54. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: February 01, 2016 at 12:38 PM (#5146970)
Why am I supposed to have enjoyed this farce?

None of your points are wrong except one (I liked Scott's Players Tribune piece), but that's a valid question to ask about any All-Star Game. This one was different, at least.
   55. Random Transaction Generator Posted: February 01, 2016 at 12:45 PM (#5146978)
The downside to the John Scott story (for me) is that it overshadowed what may be the very last all-star game for one of the best players in NHL history, Jaromir Jagr.

For the old guy to be still be somewhat useful is fantastic.
How long has he been playing?

If he doesn't play in the KHL for 4 seasons, he probably finishes in 2nd place in career NHL goals and points.
   56. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: February 01, 2016 at 12:50 PM (#5146982)
That's only because we assume Jagr will still be playing in All-Star games five years from now. He's got plenty left!

Jagr was playing in the NHL before more than half of his current teammates were born.

e: Or to put it in perhaps an even funnier way, Jagr's name was on the Stanley Cup before half his teammates' names were on their birth certificates.

Jagr won the Stanley Cup his first two years in the NHL, and has made it even as far as the Finals only once in the 23 years since. He's still trying.
   57. Meatwad Posted: February 01, 2016 at 12:50 PM (#5146983)
Jagr wasnt happy that he was voted in. He wanted to be on vacation instead!
   58. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: February 01, 2016 at 12:57 PM (#5146985)
I wouldn't want the MLB All-Star Game turning into the Willie Bloomquist retirement celebration.

He's even further down the relevance totem pole than Bloomquist. He's like a reliever who's only job is throw at batters who is also in the minor leagues.

I liked Scott's Players Tribune piece

Boo-hoo, his feelings got hurt. Bring his kids into it makes me want to hurl. The fact that he won MVP, and is the first star of the week should make him feel even worse. It's like a make a wish award or something.

This one was different, at least.

So is the NBDL All-Star game, and I won't be watching that.
   59. vagab0nd is still a champion Posted: February 01, 2016 at 08:25 PM (#5147249)
Boo-hoo, his feelings got hurt. Bring his kids into it makes me want to hurl.

Forget the kids part, he went from playing regularly on an NHL playoff contender to having the NHL force him to be traded and then demoted to an AHL team thousands of miles away because he had the audacity to want to play in an all-star game he was eligible for and voted into. Look, I don't think Scott is good, or anywhere near as good of a person as he tried to paint himself in that Players' Tribune article (I bet Tim Jackman agrees with me), but have a heart, FFS.

The fact that he won MVP, and is the first star of the week should make him feel even worse. It's like a make a wish award or something.

He had 2 goals (no one had more) and his team won. The players had fun and the fans had fun. Was he the best player on the ice? No. Was he undeserving of an MVP of an exhibition game/recipient of a meaningless weekly award? No. To #### on him for making the most of this situation is a bit much.

I dont think its something that could ever be done again, but I enjoyed it. the best part was seeing the players actually try when they were out there. wasnt 100% effort but you could tell they were doing more than they would in past games. for now I think the 3-3 is a good way to play it.

This.
   60. Ithaca2323 Posted: February 05, 2016 at 01:43 PM (#5150298)

If he doesn't play in the KHL for 4 seasons, he probably finishes in 2nd place in career NHL goals and points.

Assuming (and this is a big assumption) that Jagr would be roughly the same player he is today (I.E. no injuries suffered) I think he'd break the all-time goals record if he hadn't gone to the KHL for three years. He scored 25 the year before he left and 19 the year he game back. Let's give him 65 goals for those three years.

That puts him at 803. Give him another 7 this year, and we're at 810.

At this point, we're really in uncharted territory, but here's a guy coming off say a 23-goal, 55-point season, who's within striking distance of a major NHL record, who has publicly stated he wouldn't mind playing until 50, and who seems to be generally beloved and a good locker-room guy. I mean, why not make a run at it? There's got to be 3, 4 teams he hasn't played for yet, right?

We've never really seen anyone make a serious run at that record. Hull was interesting briefly, but it was clear post lockout that he was cooked. Jagr just keeps producing.

Gretzky's goals record always felt kind of fluky. Lemieux was hurt and had Hodgkins, Bossy got hurt, Jagr willingly deported himself and lost an extra time to labor disputes. I feel like it's destined to go down. Maybe Ovechkin just keeps shooting until he gets there. Maybe Stamkos has a couple more big seasons in him, and gets on track. Maybe Jagr just plays until he's 60.
   61. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: February 05, 2016 at 02:16 PM (#5150316)
I don't know what's fluky about Wayne Gretzky holding the all time goals record, given that he holds the all time record for goals scored in a season. And the second-highest goals total in a season. And two other seasons in the top 10. He was the greatest goal scorer of all time by any imaginable standard. You can maybe argue Lemieux would have scored more, had he had better teammates early in his career and had he been anything resembling healthy later in his career, but even that's a stretch, and no one else is in the same galaxy.

If Jagr were around 810 goals now his probability of catching Gretzky's 894 would be zero. He's 43 and would have to score 20 goals a year for another three-plus years, or 15 goals a year for another five-plus years, to catch him. No chance.

Jagr did, however, play most of his career in a drastically lower offensive context than Gretzky did. Comparing the 1997-to-present NHL to the 1980s NHL is like comparing the mid 1960s to the late 1990s in baseball. There's a good argument that, in context, Jagr's career goals and assists totals are as impressive as Gretzky's, or very nearly so.
   62. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: February 05, 2016 at 02:24 PM (#5150321)
I saw last week that Evgeni Malkin now has 11 career hat tricks, which is second on the Penguins' all time list. Mario Lemieux had 40.

Hell, Crosby, third on the list, just scored his ninth hat trick a few days ago. Lemieux had nine hat tricks in 1988-89 alone.

(Gretzky had 50 in his career, and of course holds the record like he holds virtually every hockey record that doesn't involve penalties. Jagr is the active leader with 15. Ovechkin has 13.)
   63. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: February 05, 2016 at 02:29 PM (#5150327)
(Gretzky had 50 in his career, and of course holds the record like he holds virtually every hockey record that doesn't involve penalties. Jagr is the active leader with 15. Ovechkin has 13.)

Kane got his first regular season one this year. (He has 2 in the playoffs.)

EDIT: He also already has his career high goals in a season with 31, so he's not in the same league as goal scorers as those guys, even if he ends up leading the league this year.
   64. Ithaca2323 Posted: February 05, 2016 at 03:54 PM (#5150395)
I don't know what's fluky about Wayne Gretzky holding the all time goals record, given that he holds the all time record for goals scored in a season. And the second-highest goals total in a season. And two other seasons in the top 10. He was the greatest goal scorer of all time by any imaginable standard. You can maybe argue Lemieux would have scored more, had he had better teammates early in his career and had he been anything resembling healthy later in his career, but even that's a stretch, and no one else is in the same galaxy.

Gretzky's *getting* the record wasn't fluky. That he's held onto it has been.

Lemieux was the guy who missed what, five and a half seasons to various ailments during a period of time where he averaged around .70-.75 goals a game. You don't think there's a good chance that there's 200 goals in those 400 games he missed? I mean, opinions vary, but I think you're underselling him.

There's a good argument that, in context, Jagr's career goals and assists totals are as impressive as Gretzky's, or very nearly so.

I guess this is kind of what I mean by fluky. Jagr's got insane longevity, but played in a period when the NHL was doing everything possible, it seemed to diminish goal scoring. Now he's in an era where goalies are better than ever (There's a reason the NHL's all-time leaders in save percentage are almost all active or recently active goalies). Lemieux and Bossy were also historically elite goal scorers, but neither could stay healthy.

I don't know that it's easy to say what would have happened if Jagr was at 810 or so after this year. I think in general, I'm fascinated by the idea of a guy getting close enough to a record like that that he says "I'm going for it." Jagr won't ever get there, but I just feel like, at 810 or so, and still producing relatively well, he'd be in the range where it'd be fun to talk about.

Ovechkin may get there, simply because he may end up taking 10,000+ shots in his career. At that rate, I'd be disappointed if he didn't.
   65. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: February 05, 2016 at 04:49 PM (#5150418)
Ovechkin would have to pot 40 a year for the next 10 years, taking him through age 40, to catch Gretzky. Possible but unlikely; he'd have to follow the Teemu Selanne career path (rather than Alexander Mogilny or Pavel Bure or Peter Bondra or...) and/or scoring levels would have to finally start rising.

Adjusting for context, I don't think there's much of an argument anymore about the fact Ovechkin is the best goal scorer in history, at this point. Unless, once again, it's Gretzky: Gretzky led the league in goals five times in six years, which Ovechkin has not done (he's led the league five times in his ten year career, and is working on making it 6 for 11), which in fact no one has ever done, not even Maurice Richard--and Gretzky also led the league in assists all six of those years, which is ####### mind blowing. Mario Lemieux led the league in both goals and assists twice; besides him no one else has done it since.

Here's a random fun fact I discovered while looking up great players' statistical records: Mark Messier never led the league in anything in his career. He was the Eddie Murray of hockey (Eddie did lead in HR and RBI in the strike-shortened 1981 season).
   66. Ithaca2323 Posted: February 05, 2016 at 05:17 PM (#5150432)
Ovechkin would have to pot 40 a year for the next 10 years, taking him through age 40, to catch Gretzky. Possible but unlikely; he'd have to follow the Teemu Selanne career path (rather than Alexander Mogilny or Pavel Bure or Peter Bondra or...) and/or scoring levels would have to finally start rising.

Sure, but if he pots 55 and then 50, then he makes up goals elsewhere. He scored 50 six times, let's not assume he's. And what if he plays 12 years, or 13 more? Again, if he's at say, 830 at age 40, you don't think he's going to be tempted to hang around?

Adjusting for context, I don't think there's much of an argument anymore about the fact Ovechkin is the best goal scorer in history, at this point.

Lemieux and ovechkin led the league in goals per game six times, twice as many as Gretzky. Just throwing that out there.
   67. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: February 17, 2016 at 04:18 PM (#5158031)
Hawks waived Scuderi and sent him to the AHL - shockingly, he cleared waivers. That gives the Hawks a little more cap space, and it's just enough to fit someone like Andrew Ladd* under the cap (assuming either a roster player moves in the trade or is just sent down). That's good.

The Hawks only have Jiri Sekac left from the Patrick Sharp trade now (via Ryan Garbutt), and Sekac is a regular scratch. That's not good, but I guess no one wanting to help the Hawks by trading for Sharp is why that happened - I mean Sharp's contract isn't that bad and I'm pretty sure Dallas has been quite happy with his production.

*It's an open question if the Hawks need a top 6 wing or top 4 D-man more. With Hossa hurt, the Hawks top line is Toews/Shaw/Panik, which is unacceptable. But they're still regularly playing guys like Victor Svedberg and what's left of Rozival (plus Seabrook just hasn't been that good. Both TVR and Gustafsson are different degrees of potential, but the Hawks did just win a Cup with only 4 blue liners. Come playoff time, Toews/Hossa/Ladd**, Kane/Anisimov/Panarin, Teravainen/Denault/Panik, Kruger/Shaw/Dejardins is more than enough to win with (especially if Crawford keeps this up), but will a shallow blue line do them in? I could see the bottom 3 D men being just enough, but there's no room for error. There just isn't really another option in house for either spot, so do they go all in to fix one or try smaller fixes for both?

It doesn't have to be Ladd, though he makes sense for a lot of reasons - we know he'll fit, and the Hawks do want him. How much will it cost and would the Jets rather ship him East?
   68. Brian C won't explain his handle Posted: February 17, 2016 at 09:17 PM (#5158292)
Rangers goal just overturned on replay against the Hawks due to goaltender interference.

As far as it goes, it was a reasonable call. There was more than enough contact with Crawford to affect Crawford's play. So I don't have a problem with the way the rule was applied.

But this is a controversial topic, and I don't understand for the life of me why the NHL thought that allowing replay for goaltender interference was a good idea. I think the NFL has it 100% right in not allowing replay on so-called "judgment calls", and goaltender interference is obviously the kind of call that calls for a certain amount of judgment and interpretation. But the NHL is doing this even though the standard for replay in all other cases (in the NHL and other sports) is something like "indisputable evidence". For a league that seems to want to increase goal scoring, it's farcical that they're waving off goals on the whim of replay officials in cases where a definitive standard can hardly exist in the first place.
   69. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: February 17, 2016 at 09:26 PM (#5158303)
The NHL does not want to increase goal scoring. If anything the league wants to decrease the goal scoring. But it behooves the NHL's interests to pretend in public that they want to increase goal scoring.
   70. Meatwad Posted: February 17, 2016 at 10:38 PM (#5158344)
Panarin with a hat trick, followed by yandle slashing his skates out from under him. Very dirty play.
   71. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: February 18, 2016 at 12:05 PM (#5158681)
Rangers goal just overturned on replay against the Hawks due to goaltender interference.

As far as it goes, it was a reasonable call. There was more than enough contact with Crawford to affect Crawford's play. So I don't have a problem with the way the rule was applied.

The Hawks were finally on the right end of one of those - they had 3 goals in the last month all overturned that were much less clear than this one (and at least one of them likely cost them at least one point).

But this is a controversial topic, and I don't understand for the life of me why the NHL thought that allowing replay for goaltender interference was a good idea. I think the NFL has it 100% right in not allowing replay on so-called "judgment calls", and goaltender interference is obviously the kind of call that calls for a certain amount of judgment and interpretation. But the NHL is doing this even though the standard for replay in all other cases (in the NHL and other sports) is something like "indisputable evidence". For a league that seems to want to increase goal scoring, it's farcical that they're waving off goals on the whim of replay officials in cases where a definitive standard can hardly exist in the first place.

Agreed. It's also very clear there isn't anything close to a consistent standard being used in the replays. It's one thing to add replay - which in general I tend to favor across most sports - but there's absolutely no reason why the decision shouldn't be made centrally in the review center as opposed to by the onsite officials (and they don't even have the benefit of a big TV screen like the NBA guys get).
   72. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: February 18, 2016 at 12:06 PM (#5158683)
Panarin with a hat trick, followed by yandle slashing his skates out from under him. Very dirty play.

I was very surprised Yandle wasn't penalized there. That was dangerous.
   73. Meatwad Posted: February 25, 2016 at 10:01 PM (#5164257)
Hawks aquire Ladd and 2 minor leaguers for Dano this years 1st round oick and a 2018 third round pick if they win the cup.
   74. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: March 03, 2016 at 10:52 AM (#5168716)
Too bad this thread kinda died during the trade deadline; even though that day was a dud, quite a bit has happened. But since I know the Hawks best...

It still really is quite amazing that the Hawks are in the position they're in - leading the West and one of, if not the, favorites again. The roster obviously turned over a lot at the end of last season (Saad, Sharp, Oduya, Richards, Nordstrom, Versteeg, etc). But they have completely turned it over during the season. The Hawks have used the following guys that are already gone or won't be up again: Ryan Garbutt, Trevor Daley, Phillip Danault, Viktor Svedberg, Tanner Kero, Marko Dano, Bryan Bickell, Ryan Hartman, Jiri Sekac, Mark McNeill, Vincent Hinostroza, Viktor Tikhonov, Kyle Baun, and Rob Scuderi. That's just amazing the amount of in season turnover. The Hawks got an entire new line at the trade deadline with Ladd, Weiss, and Fleischmann. Weiss makes his debut tonight, and when Hossa and Kruger come back that means the entire current 4th line is on the bench/back in Rockford: Mashinter, Panik, and Rasmussen.

With the deadline passed, the way the Hawks ended up using the Sharp trade is fascinating. It went Sharp for Daley/Garbutt/cap space. Then Daley for Scuderi/cap space. Then Scuderi for Erhoff/cap space. And Garbutt for Sekac/cap space. Then Sekac on waivers for more cap space. Then the Hawks turned that cap space/picks/Denault/Dano into Ladd/Fleishman/Weiss. Just unreal. Now, there's going to be a ton more turnover after this year with all these acquisitions being UFA (and likely having to shed at least one other rotation guy to fit in the extensions for Seabrook/Anisimov - mostly like Shaw, who's due a raise; Kruger is also due a raise, but I think he already has a handshake deal based on taking almost nothing to come back this year).

Zeth may have laughed at the Daley for Scuderi trade, but that Hawks still got what they wanted from that and now Erhoff - even this declined version of him - looks to be an improvement/better fit for the Hawks than Daley ever was. He could end up being what Handzus was to the Hawks in the 2013 Cup run. Hopefully though, Bowman learned from his mistake and is happy to let him just go after this season as 13-14 Handzus might have been the biggest reason the Hawks didn't win that year.

The blue line isn't as good as last year's - even with them really only playing 4 guys because there isn't a 4th nearly as good as Oduya was - but it's deeper now so hopefully Q can better spot minutes throughout the playoffs. But the forward depth is just nuts - Toews/Hossa/Ladd, Kane/Anisimov/Panarin, Teravainen/Fleishman/Weiss, Kruger/Shaw/Dejardins - and Crawford is playing the best he ever has. If they can stay healthy, it's hard to not like their chances of winning again.
   75. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: March 15, 2016 at 11:34 AM (#5175378)
The Hawks are going through their annual March slump again. However, it's worth noting that the team this year is different than the one in years past. They don't dominate puck possession - other teams are getting a lot more shot attempts and SOG - but are winning thanks to great goaltending and an unusually strong PP (normally the PP is terrible and the PK great, this year is the opposite). That combo worries me a bit more, since relying on the PP to score (or just one line) doesn't seem to usually translate to postseason success. The blue line still looks very weak.

It's also kinda weird the Hawks haven't beaten a Western Conference team since they beat the Stars on Feb 6th, they're 6-7-2 in that stretch. Losing 5-0 to the Kings and 5-2 to the Stars in the last couple of games (sandwiched around a 3-2 SO loss to StL) can be foreboding.
   76. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: March 15, 2016 at 12:22 PM (#5175405)
The Blackhawks will be fine. They do this every year to throw us off their scent.
   77. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: March 15, 2016 at 01:43 PM (#5175472)
Perhaps, but there appear to be fundamental problems this year that weren't there last. Maybe everything really does snap into place come playoff time, and being the same old Blackhawks but with a better Crawford, they steamroll to the Cup. It's just it's a little easier to see exactly how the Blackhawks can/will lose...
   78. don't blame me, i voted for STIGGLES Posted: March 16, 2016 at 10:54 PM (#5176678)
i have literally no idea how the flyers are doing this.
   79. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: March 16, 2016 at 11:31 PM (#5176690)
I'm convinced Shayne Gostisbehere is the real deal and is going to be a superstar. He has a vicious shot and he also has that knack the great defensemen have for anticipating the play and materializing right where the puck is going, a second before it gets there.
   80. don't blame me, i voted for STIGGLES Posted: March 17, 2016 at 12:03 AM (#5176704)
I'm convinced Shayne Gostisbehere is the real deal and is going to be a superstar. He has a vicious shot and he also has that knack the great defensemen have for anticipating the play and materializing right where the puck is going, a second before it gets there.

ghost is like kris letang, if kris letang was good.

but what i was referring to was the fact that the flyers go into every game with 3 checking lines and 5 defesnemen who barely deserve to play in the NHL. hakstol is an amazing coach and it'll be fun to see what he can do when hextall gives him NHL talent to work with.
   81. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: March 17, 2016 at 12:13 AM (#5176707)
I don't think Gostisbehere is like Kris Letang at all. They're small and they skate fast and that's all they have in common. Gostisbehere has a great shot; Letang has a terrible shot, slow and inaccurate. Gostisbehere is a rookie and already has better instincts.

But then, no one is like Kris Letang. Letang is actually not very skilled--he's a good skater and that may be his only above-average NHL skill. His shot is bad, his passes are not super accurate, his instincts are not great and he gets caught out of position a lot. Despite all that he's still a legit #1 defenseman and terrific playmaker because he is SO AGGRESSIVE. The dude's skates are on fire 100% of the time in a way I haven't seen from anyone else in the league. He never hesitates for a split second to do anything. If you let up for one second on him then the puck is gone and so is he. It's pretty amazing to watch. Unfortunately it's a big reason why he's constantly getting hurt (no matter how many times he flies into the end boards to get a puck and then gets boarded from behind and injured, he just keeps right on doing it with total reckless abandon), but for a long time I didn't appreciate him enough. No player in the league accomplishes more with less.
   82. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: March 30, 2016 at 02:49 PM (#5184850)
Duncan Keith is a ####### idiot. He's getting an in person hearing, so the suspension can be longer than 5 games (all that's left in the season for the Hawks). I don't think either of his previous suspensions technically count as priors for this, but in a way they really should. This is very similar to the stick swing he took at Carter in the 2013 WCF; in both cases he was on the receiving end of a shady play (Carter hitting his bare hand, Coyle slewfooting him last night) and then he retaliated in a ridiculously over the top and reckless and extremely dangerous manner. He should get more than 5, but I bet the league is loathe to have his suspension carry into the playoffs.
   83. don't blame me, i voted for STIGGLES Posted: March 30, 2016 at 03:12 PM (#5184865)
he's still less of a shithead than patrick kane.
   84. don't blame me, i voted for STIGGLES Posted: March 30, 2016 at 08:27 PM (#5185097)
it's only 10 minutes in, but this flyers/caps game is as well played and crisp as any game this season.

85. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: March 30, 2016 at 08:52 PM (#5185112)
The Hawks are turning into a world class have for shitheads. A shithead dynasty if you will.
   86. Mark Edward Posted: March 30, 2016 at 09:14 PM (#5185132)
The Hawks are turning into a world class have for shitheads. A shithead dynasty if you will.

This organization is just really hard to root for right now. And the Garret Ross stuff just makes it more difficult, if not impossible. I hated the Hawks' eager defense of Kane in the offseason, but in a cynical way I could understand it (Kane makes the organization lots of $$$ and he's a great hockey player). Ross will never sniff the NHL and yet the Hawks completely ignored the situation when the charges were originally brought forward. And when the charges were dropped (on a technicality), Ross was welcomed back to Rockford with open arms.

But regardless of Ross' place on the depth chart, like the folks here noted, this could have been a time for the Hawks to show they've matured in handling issues with women and the organization. Instead they quickly lifted his suspension for his important role as an AHL 4th liner. what the #####
   87. PASTE Transcends Almost All Generations (Zeth) Posted: March 30, 2016 at 09:31 PM (#5185139)
If a J. Random Player had whacked a guy in the face with his stick, he'd have been suspended for the playoffs plus well into next season. Since Duncan Keith is a superstar, he'll get the last five games of the season off--which is really as much a reward for him and the Blackhawks as anything--plus maybe one playoff game.

Sad but true.

The Blackhawks aren't even in the same galaxy as the Blue Jackets when it comes to insulting everyone who has ever liked hockey by going out of their way to recruit and encourage thugs. But of course the Blackhawks are on national TV every week whereas occasional hockey viewers have no idea there is a team called the Columbus Blue Jackets in the NHL.

By the way though, Kane is like Ben Roethlisberger in that apparently there are mountains of anecdotes from people around Chicago who have interacted with him that he is a world class ####### and creep, but he is unlike Ben Roethlisberger in that there doesn't seem to be any actual evidence to sustain the specific rape allegation that made him mainstream famous.
   88. don't blame me, i voted for STIGGLES Posted: March 30, 2016 at 10:03 PM (#5185157)
wow, i just remembered that billy tibbets exists.
   89. vagab0nd is still a champion Posted: March 30, 2016 at 10:59 PM (#5185180)
The Blackhawks aren't even in the same galaxy as the Blue Jackets when it comes to insulting everyone who has ever liked hockey by going out of their way to recruit and encourage thugs.

i don't remember them employing Matt Cooke. musta been before my time.
   90. don't blame me, i voted for STIGGLES Posted: March 30, 2016 at 11:00 PM (#5185181)
it's only 10 minutes in, but this flyers/caps game is as well played and crisp as any game this season.
that's one hell of a finish.

91. Jose Remains The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: March 30, 2016 at 11:14 PM (#5185183)
I thought it was interesting that the two Caps were extremely deliberate in their approach while the Flyers both came very quickly. Obviously Oshie and Kuznetsov are terrific players, I just enjoyed the different approaches.
   92. Moses Taylor, Optimist Posted: March 31, 2016 at 09:58 AM (#5185328)
But regardless of Ross' place on the depth chart, like the folks here noted, this could have been a time for the Hawks to show they've matured in handling issues with women and the organization. Instead they quickly lifted his suspension for his important role as an AHL 4th liner. what the #####

He's a FA at the end of this year, they probably won't keep him. Also, they reinstated him at 10pm the night everyone was talking about Keith's assault, so they *knew* exactly what they were doing.
   93. Jose Remains The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: April 02, 2016 at 11:07 PM (#5186830)
Stamkos diagnosed with a blood clot in his arm. Surgery will fix but out for 1-3 months.
   94. don't blame me, i voted for STIGGLES Posted: April 03, 2016 at 11:14 PM (#5187472)
terrible game, but at least this is worth a chuckle.
   95. Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb Posted: April 05, 2016 at 11:49 PM (#5189366)
James Reimer is 6-2-0 with 3 SO and a .938 GAA with the Sharks. Jones has played well but I think Reimer might steal that job.
   96. don't blame me, i voted for STIGGLES Posted: April 06, 2016 at 04:56 PM (#5190183)
steven yeun ‏@steveyeun 3h3 hours ago
let's go @DetroitRedWings
Philadelphia Flyers ‏@NHLFlyers 3h3 hours ago
@steveyeun Let’s go Lucille
   97. Jose Remains The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: April 06, 2016 at 05:03 PM (#5190192)
Go Flyers. Philly wins and the Bruins get control of their destiny again.
   98. Jose Remains The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: April 06, 2016 at 05:06 PM (#5190195)
Assuming the B's miss the playoffs Claude is going to get fired which sucks. I think there are reasons to blame last year on him but this year...I mean this defense is a shitshow and I think he has done a really nice job of adapting to things. They have played a much more open style that I think has suited the personal better than it has in the past. The defense just isn't nearly good enough and that was obvious when the season started.
   99. don't blame me, i voted for STIGGLES Posted: April 06, 2016 at 05:39 PM (#5190216)
Assuming the B's miss the playoffs Claude is going to get fired which sucks. I think there are reasons to blame last year on him but this year...I mean this defense is a shitshow and I think he has done a really nice job of adapting to things. They have played a much more open style that I think has suited the personal better than it has in the past. The defense just isn't nearly good enough and that was obvious when the season started.

why would they fire julien instead of the GM? iirc, BOS had an abortion of a draft last summer, so i'd think the GM should eat the blame before the coach.
   100. Jose Remains The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: April 06, 2016 at 08:52 PM (#5190339)
They fired the GM last summer. Sweeney deserves plenty of heat but firing a GM after just one year is very tough. Like the song says, fair's got nothing to do with it though, Julien won't survive if they miss the playoffs.
Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam M
for his generous support.