Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, March 02, 2017

OT: March-April 2017 Soccer Thread

March is coming in a lot more like a lamb in my neck of the woods than nursery rhymes would suggest, and the same is true at the top of the Premier League. There’s more excitement (of a sort) in the Champions League, and some intrigue at the top end of the table in at least a couple other major European leagues. Plus relegation scraps abound!

Once again, I’m too lazy to bother putting together an interesting fixtures list. My guess is you all don’t really need my help on that front anyway.

The Marksist Posted: March 02, 2017 at 09:00 AM | 323 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off-topic, soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
   1. Baldrick Posted: March 04, 2017 at 11:21 AM (#5412606)
Pulisic goal scoring klaxon.
   2. Jose is El Absurd Pollo Posted: March 04, 2017 at 12:02 PM (#5412615)
And assisting klaxon as well,

Pretty big day of results in England. Lots of games involving relegation teams and they all had winners. For all the talk about the results for Leicester I think Shakespeare is getting too much credit and they will regret it if they make him the long term manager. It's pretty obvious based on these two results that fairly or not Leicester players quit on Ranieri and Shakespeare's best move is that he's not Ranieri.
   3. Baldrick Posted: March 04, 2017 at 01:19 PM (#5412641)
Fabian Johnson with a goal today as well.
   4. Dale Sams Posted: March 04, 2017 at 02:10 PM (#5412650)
My takeaway from the Fernando Torres incident and others like it is that:

Usa is to the rest of the world as diving into first is to rendering dangerous first aid. Stop diving into first and instead of sticking your grimy knuckles down an unconscious mans throat, let the professionals who are literally seconds away handle it.
   5. Baldrick Posted: March 04, 2017 at 04:53 PM (#5412675)
US Soccer, in their infinite wisdom, have chosen to require players to stand during the national anthem. Fingers on the pulse of the nation, etc.
   6. Jose is El Absurd Pollo Posted: March 04, 2017 at 07:43 PM (#5412729)
I am fully in favor of players not standing for the anthem but I don't really have an issue with that. I'd have a problem with MLS doing that but for players who are playing for the national team it feels appropriate.
   7. Mefisto Posted: March 04, 2017 at 08:14 PM (#5412736)
I think anthems before sporting events are stupid. They should solve the problem by not playing them.

Also, Jill Ellis should be fired. My opinion on this is not new, but there's now an additional year's worth of evidence.
   8. Dale Sams Posted: March 04, 2017 at 11:53 PM (#5412796)
Anyone want to post their FM17 stories before the baseball season kicks off?
   9. Esmailyn Gonzalez Sr. Posted: March 05, 2017 at 09:25 PM (#5413032)
I got AIK to the Champions League Group stage, got grouped with (IIRC) Bayern Munich, Man City, and Benfica. It did not go well. I think I got a point, but I also lost a game 8-0.
   10. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: March 06, 2017 at 09:30 AM (#5413155)
The second legs of the Champion's League draws this year are really bad.

Dortmund/Benfica should be fun, though.

Leicester looks to be turning it around a bit, so they could maybe make the Sevilla game interesting.
   11. Jose is El Absurd Pollo Posted: March 06, 2017 at 09:36 AM (#5413161)
Yeah, there's really not a lot left to play for. Dortmund/Benfica, Leicester/Sevilla and if you squint Monaco-ManCity are about all that's left to care about. I suppose Barca could win 4-0, they have those games from time to time but I just can't see PSG not getting at least one goal and then Barcelona need 6 which is a bridge too far.
   12. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: March 06, 2017 at 09:45 AM (#5413172)
Yeah, it's hard to see Napoli and Monaco not conceding. Barca there's a chance, but PSG is pretty darn good and is way more athletic. And as you say, they just need 1 away goal.

Sevilla is really good, so even that's a long shot.

The good news is we should have some really fun quarter final matches. Though I guess we always do, it's pretty hard to skate through the group stages *and* a knockout stage.
   13. Jose is El Absurd Pollo Posted: March 06, 2017 at 10:05 AM (#5413193)
1:2 with the away goal is a pretty "spicey" scoreline if you ask me. Leicester have been a different team the last couple of games and if they can play like that there is no reason a home win isn't feasible. Sevilla are good as you say so nothing is guaranteed but I've got to think it's going to be pretty raucous at the KP.
   14. Dale Sams Posted: March 06, 2017 at 06:42 PM (#5413528)
In FM17....Hard Brexit is insane.

All non-brit Europeans must get a Work Permit. Players already signed must get one if they sign a new contract. This means the difference between the rich and non-rich will become even greater. And it will be almost impossible to get non-brit wonderkids...unless I guess you loan them out until they can get a WP. That seems like a huge pain.

As Newcastle, I cant resign any of the high-potential non-Brit players I have accrued and will have to sell them all. Ridiculous and makes the whole league feel xenophobic. That Finnish keeper you've had since age 16?? Boot that ###### out. Guess I'll see how the Spanish league feels.
   15. Textbook Editor Posted: March 07, 2017 at 12:07 AM (#5413612)
Pivoting off #14...

(1) How easy/hard is it to get a Work Permit if you are a non-UK resident? I honestly have no idea.
(2) Is how Brexit is playing out in FM17 a realistic depiction for how it would actually go in real life? Or is that very much still TBD? Again, have not really followed Brexit's potential football chaos-making very closely...
   16. Richard Posted: March 07, 2017 at 12:27 AM (#5413617)
(1) As a non EU resident you can get a work permit if you can demonstrate skills in a particular field: the difficulty varies by profession. It used to be the case 10 or so years ago that non EU national soccer players had trouble getting work permits unless they were established internationals for their home country (with exceptions: lots of Australians actually carry British passports and use them, and players from Norway and Iceland are non-EU but are in the European Economic Area so don't have an issue): I don't know whether this has changed.
(2) Nobody knows yet. Still TBD. So FM 17 isn't at all realistic.
   17. Dale Sams Posted: March 07, 2017 at 01:18 AM (#5413620)
Also in FM17, there are a few ways Brexit can hit...it's random. My game just got hit with the "Hard exit" by chance.
   18. jmurph Posted: March 07, 2017 at 04:29 PM (#5413933)
Wow, Arsenal. This time the "Arsene out!" talk feels a little bit different.
   19. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: March 07, 2017 at 04:34 PM (#5413936)
The Liverpool loss was a turning point for me.

These two ties today quickly became uninteresting at almost exactly the same time.
   20. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: March 07, 2017 at 04:39 PM (#5413942)
That Arsenal didn't really go for the title last year at Christmas when the race was wide open was kind of crazy to me.

Arsenal has way, way too many guys that should be at mid-table or relegation level teams.

Coquelin, who the #### is this clown? He should be at Burnley or something. Walcott too.

This team without Sanchez could be pretty weak next year.
   21. He who brought the butter dish to Balshazar (CoB) Posted: March 07, 2017 at 04:40 PM (#5413943)
Yeah, "Arsene out" seems inevitable at this point.

FOX announcers openly questioning if it would be better to replace him before the end of the season, given the seeming freefall and the repercussions of not finishing in the top 4 ...
   22. jmurph Posted: March 07, 2017 at 04:50 PM (#5413952)
That seems like it would be a very desirable job. I wonder who they could go after?
   23. Baldrick Posted: March 07, 2017 at 04:52 PM (#5413953)
Look, people can make all the fun of Arsenal that they want, but here's the simple fact: if they had scored just eight more goals today, then they'd be the ones going through to the quarterfinals.

Seems like less of a crisis when you put it like that, huh?

Edit: NINE more goals.
   24. jmurph Posted: March 07, 2017 at 04:54 PM (#5413955)
If he doesn't try to make some hay of the fact that "before the red card we were winning" then I don't know anything.
   25. Dale Sams Posted: March 07, 2017 at 04:54 PM (#5413956)
"The letter of the law says..." no no no no. Use common sense. His arms came up and the guy went down like he'd been shot. Penalty yes. Fine. Make Arsenal go down a man for the whole game over THAT? ugh.

I liked it better when men were men and i played! No shin guards! Handballs off the line wern't even cardable!
   26. Dale Sams Posted: March 07, 2017 at 04:55 PM (#5413958)
That seems like it would be a very desirable job. I wonder who they could go after?

Hands off Rafa.
   27. He who brought the butter dish to Balshazar (CoB) Posted: March 07, 2017 at 04:57 PM (#5413959)
I'd have given a Yellow and a PK, which is what the initial decision was. Not sure why the ref decided to change his mind ...
   28. Jose is El Absurd Pollo Posted: March 07, 2017 at 05:01 PM (#5413962)
I didn't see it but the description a co-worker gave me was that it was a player in on goal. That's an automatic.

To answer jmurph's question it seems like Allegri is the name everyone is throwing around.
   29. jmurph Posted: March 07, 2017 at 05:09 PM (#5413967)
I didn't see it but the description a co-worker gave me was that it was a player in on goal. That's an automatic.

But it's not automatic anymore. I think the yellow and penalty would have been plenty.
   30. Jose is El Absurd Pollo Posted: March 07, 2017 at 05:20 PM (#5413976)
When did that change?
   31. jmurph Posted: March 07, 2017 at 05:22 PM (#5413977)
This summer. Article here.

To be fair, there's totally interpretations of even the new rule that would make it a straight red. Nothing can be simple!
   32. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: March 07, 2017 at 05:28 PM (#5413979)
But it's not automatic anymore. I think the yellow and penalty would have been plenty.
The automatic rule (in the box at least) was always terrible and the change was way overdue. Agreed in this case the yellow was the fair call, since the penalty was given.

The mitigating factor for the lousy call by the ref is that it was an extremely low leverage mistake. Even with no penalty given Arsenal were 1% or so to win the game (needing 3 with 35 minutes to go). With a penalty make, they were down to way less than that, so... whatever. Hopefully it will be a learning experience for everyone involved.
   33. Dale Sams Posted: March 07, 2017 at 05:35 PM (#5413981)
It's not the worlds worst call to be sure. I just ask for the ref to use a tad more common sense....was it accidental? Kind of... It happens a billion times a game outside the box with no foul given.

Anyhoooo....on a diff note I see wolves and Blackburn are in danger of dropping to division one
   34. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: March 07, 2017 at 05:46 PM (#5413983)
was it accidental? Kind of...
Yeah, only sorta accidental (and not really), so by the letter of the law it's not necessarily a horrible call. I think though that the rule was relaxed specifically because the censure was too harsh in many cases, and I think this case falls well within those bounds. Refs have tons of discretion, and they can't do an adequate job unless they use it. Sticking to the letter of the law here made it a bad call.
   35. Mefisto Posted: March 07, 2017 at 09:02 PM (#5414068)
Well-deserved victory for France in Shiba Leaves Cup. Really exposed the weakness in the US ... technical area.
   36. Baldrick Posted: March 07, 2017 at 09:08 PM (#5414071)
My player ratings for the USWNT tonight:
Sauerbrunn: 5
Heath: 6
Mewis: 4
Short: 2
Long: 0
Lloyd: Dear god, my eyes
   37. madvillain Posted: March 07, 2017 at 09:24 PM (#5414082)
I'm quite excited for what should be an open, attacking 2nd leg tmr between Dortmund and Benfica. With Reus out, Pulisic should get the start. Even if he doesn't, he should be good for a 30 minute shift in the 2nd half.
   38. Mefisto Posted: March 07, 2017 at 10:02 PM (#5414105)
For those who didn't see it, I'd consider Baldrick's ratings to be charitable. Especially the one for Long.

But to be fair, I blame the coach. She's the one putting players on the field in positions they don't play and aren't likely to succeed in. She's the one with no sense of how to organize a team. She's the one giving tryouts and playing time to older players, who will be older still in the 2019-20 round. She's the one sending out starting lineups and random substitutions with no clear idea on how the players on the pitch can perform as a unit.
   39. Textbook Editor Posted: March 08, 2017 at 01:19 AM (#5414148)
Late to check back in here but... Thanks, Richard, for the explanation in #16 above.

As for Arsenal, I hear Tim Sherwood is tanned, rested, and ready.
   40. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: March 08, 2017 at 09:58 AM (#5414246)
Long: 0

Especially the one for Long.

It's amazing how playing a center midfielder, who is mediocre defensively anyway, at center back somehow leads to bad results against a team with good movement and speed up top. I'm utterly, completely shocked, and not part of the chorus of voices (as are you guys!) which has been pointing that out since this experiment started.
   41. Mefisto Posted: March 08, 2017 at 10:51 AM (#5414289)
Worse yet, Long blamed Naeher for one of the goals on her twitter feed after the game (claimed Naeher called her off the ball). Maybe we can add (or in this case, subtract) "being a good teammate" to game scores.
   42. Jose is El Absurd Pollo Posted: March 08, 2017 at 11:21 AM (#5414319)
So what's going on with the USWNT? I don't really follow them but my sense is that the transition from the Wambach-Lloyd teams to whatever is the next layer is proving challenging. How much of this is on Ellis? Has she just been dealt a bad hand or is she lacking the gumption to make some necessary and obvious changes to bring in younger players?
   43. Mefisto Posted: March 08, 2017 at 11:53 AM (#5414340)
In my view, Ellis is incompetent. She demonstrates no tactical acumen, she doesn't seem to know which players to put on the field, or in which positions. And while I should accept that all coaches say nonsensical things sometimes, Ellis is worse at this than most (quotes off memory): "We don't need a number 6 because we have two" [referring to Lloyd and Cheney, both of whom are 10s]; "the players need to learn to solve problems on the field" [IOW, she's throwing the players under the bus because her own failures left them vulnerable].

The US has plenty of talent, and some very good young players. The forwards -- Morgan, Press, Dunn, Pugh, maybe others -- are as good as any in the world. There's midfield talent in Brian, Heath, and probably Mewis and Lavelle, plus some who've never been given a chance like DiBernardo. There are solid defenders in Sauerbrunn, Johnston, and Krieger. The two areas of concern for the US are outside back and goalie (replacing Solo). The problem is organizing that talent, and Ellis is unable to do that.
   44. madvillain Posted: March 08, 2017 at 01:52 PM (#5414462)
Pulisic starts!
   45. Baldrick Posted: March 08, 2017 at 01:55 PM (#5414467)
I'd say that (by far) the biggest problem for the USWNT is the lack of a coherent plan for constructing a functional central midfield.

The personnel is mostly there. The departure of Lauren Holiday has been a huge problem, but it's not like there's no one in the US system that can play smart passes in tight areas and link up play between the defense and attack. It's just that Ellis has mostly insisted on sticking Lloyd into that space, and Lloyd is only very rarely such a player. When she's on her game, she actually CAN do it, and do it very well. But she was dreadful all three matches of this tournament. Not just bad technically (though boy was her touch terrible), but slooow and seemingly unwilling or unable to even try to get into space to create the space for passing triangles. And she played 260/270 minutes, the whole time in the single most crucial spot on the pitch, contributing nothing.

Basically, it was the classic "Lloyd often contributes nothing, except the game-winning goal" problem, except this time she didn't score any goals. If that continues, and if Ellis can't summon the courage or wisdom to drop Lloyd, it's going to be a tough couple years.

And speaking of Ellis, I've been a lot more tolerant of her than most. While I agree she isn't much tactically, my feeling has been: the players are good enough that they can manage to make it work most of the time. And for all that Ellis seemed clueless and the play seemed awkward, the team just kept on winning. And I'm not so confident in my own assessment abilities that I was willing to discount the possibility that maybe she had something there.

But after watching them this tournament...yeah, I'm pretty much there with Ellis Out, and Now. The idea of moving to a three back was (I think) a good one. And even if it didn't work great, the willingness to experiment was good. But after watching her idea of this spool out, it's hard to believe that she has any idea how the game of soccer works. I'll write a much longer thing for SSFC soon on that subject, but...it's impressive that they weakened the defense while adding nothing to the midfield. It's almost impossible to believe, actually.

I disagree that there is major concern with the outside backs and keeper. Naeher isn't as good as peak Solo, but she's perfectly fine. There's no clear 'best keeper in the world' right now, but Naeher is as much in the conversation as anyone else. And yeah, the fullbacks aren't great, and it's probably the one part of the field where the other big countries likely have a real advantage in player talent. But the options there are totally fine. Krieger is still good. Short isn't the full package yet, but with some improvement could get there. Gilliland is strong. O'Hara isn't really a fullback, but she does alright.
   46. Baldrick Posted: March 08, 2017 at 01:59 PM (#5414472)
Playing a back three with only one good defender, without a real defensive midfielder, and without wingers who offer anything defensively...it's frankly astonishing that they played France and Germany and ONLY gave up three goals.
   47. Mefisto Posted: March 08, 2017 at 02:43 PM (#5414509)
I agree that Naeher should be the keeper going forward. She's not Solo, but then nobody is. It's just that the drop-off in quality is a factor.

As for outside back, Krieger's an excellent defender, but only fair going forward. Plus she's getting up in years. Short might be fine at left back in a 4, but I haven't seen her play there. She's probably better than Klingenberg, but relative to the talent the US has at other positions, she wouldn't grade as high.
   48. Baldrick Posted: March 08, 2017 at 02:46 PM (#5414511)
Alert: Pulisic starting for Dortmund in the Champions League round of 16 second leg.

And already with a flick to set up a Dortmund goal.
   49. Dale Sams Posted: March 08, 2017 at 02:53 PM (#5414513)
Anyone else put off by American soccer (football) announcers...just by the accent alone? I prefer Brits or Irish except for that one #### back in the day talking about "The bool hitting the back of the ool onion bag!"
   50. Jose is El Absurd Pollo Posted: March 08, 2017 at 03:14 PM (#5414519)
Dale - Yeah, there is something about American's doing soccer that just sounds wrong. There are exceptions, I like Dellacamera and Brad Feldman who does the Revolution games is pretty good. I think there is something about guys who do soccer exclusively. Squeezing a Dave O'Brien in just sounds wrong.
   51. The Marksist Posted: March 08, 2017 at 04:06 PM (#5414548)
Pulisic goal! Really nice dink over the keeper.
   52. Jose is El Absurd Pollo Posted: March 08, 2017 at 04:12 PM (#5414554)
What's everyone worried about? Had 'em all the way.
   53. Manny Coon Posted: March 08, 2017 at 04:27 PM (#5414562)
Just watch as many games as possible in Spanish then you don't need to worry about American English accents. Sure you might not be able to understand what they are saying, but then you don't need to about them saying something stupid and you know what is happening on the field anyway.
   54. jmurph Posted: March 08, 2017 at 04:51 PM (#5414579)
If I were in charge of PSG the entire managerial staff would be finding their own way home to Paris tonight. Mainly because you can't really fire the players quite as easily. What an embarrassment.
   55. madvillain Posted: March 08, 2017 at 04:54 PM (#5414581)
Pulisic had an amazing game given the stakes. This kid is fun.
   56. Jose is El Absurd Pollo Posted: March 08, 2017 at 04:55 PM (#5414585)
If I were in charge of PSG the entire managerial staff would be finding their own way home to Paris tonight.

Seriously. I know Barcelona are good but how tough is it not to give up six ####### goals? That was pathetic. You know, even if DiMaria had scored on that breakaway I have no doubt that PSG would've given up seven.
   57. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: March 08, 2017 at 04:56 PM (#5414586)
Holy #### Barcelona.
   58. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 08, 2017 at 04:59 PM (#5414589)
Neymar and Suarez have taken diving to a whole new level. At a certain point the defenders just had no idea what to do. Either they get past you because of their incredible skill, or they dive and they win anyway. It's like if James Harden might get 30 free throws every time he barges into somebody.
   59. Jose is El Absurd Pollo Posted: March 08, 2017 at 05:14 PM (#5414600)
That sixth goal by the way...that's a great finish. I was watching with a United fan and he said "Jesus, Pogba would have sent that to Row Z."
   60. cmd600 Posted: March 08, 2017 at 05:34 PM (#5414605)
how tough is it not to give up six ####### goals

I'm counting 14 times Barcelona has done it since the beginning of the 15-16 season. So maybe not entirely easy.
   61. Esmailyn Gonzalez Sr. Posted: March 08, 2017 at 05:35 PM (#5414607)
11. Jose is El Absurd Pollo Posted: March 06, 2017 at 09:36 AM (#5413161)

...I suppose Barca could win 4-0, they have those games from time to time but I just can't see PSG not getting at least one goal and then Barcelona need 6 which is a bridge too far.

Heh :)
   62. Textbook Editor Posted: March 08, 2017 at 05:36 PM (#5414609)
The way the defenders were caught ball-watching on that last goal was... Well, I've had my U12 guys do better than that. Holy cow that was horrific defending.

The job was "don't give up 3 goals in ~8 minutes" and they couldn't do it. That's insane.
   63. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: March 08, 2017 at 05:56 PM (#5414612)
Wow those were two extremely questionable penalties. I hope the foul that led to the Neymar goal from the free kick was more legitimate. I didn't see a replay of that one.
   64. Dale Sams Posted: March 08, 2017 at 06:11 PM (#5414615)

Penalty one was one of those "Where does the guy go" penalty similar to Australia---Italy (?)

The second one will have letter of the law defenders but in reality it was a billion times softer than the Arsenal one. Just the kind of disgusting diving that makes Soccer unwatchable.
   65. Dale Sams Posted: March 08, 2017 at 06:12 PM (#5414616)
The way the defenders were caught ball-watching on that last goal was... Well, I've had my U12 guys do better than that. Holy cow that was horrific defending.

Also, the PSG keep gets a 4.0 on that game. Fine him two weeks. Jesus.
   66. Mefisto Posted: March 08, 2017 at 06:13 PM (#5414617)
That was unreal. Literally.

I thought the first penalty was correct, but the second one was very soft indeed. Still, PSG have no one to blame but themselves.
   67. Fourth True Outcome Posted: March 08, 2017 at 06:46 PM (#5414625)
To pile on with the above USWNT talk, I've been largely ignoring the team/the SheBelieves cup because Ellis irks me so much. She continues to a) play Lloyd almost every single minute despite it being glaringly obvious that she is hurting the team, b) play players totally out of position almost as a principle and c) futz with the formations ostensibly to goose the offense in ways that do nothing to address the team's offensive deficiencies while hamstringing the defense. I don't know what it will take to get her fired, but the sooner it happens the better. There is plenty of talent in the system, but it will add up to less than the sum of its parts so long as Ellis has her hand on the tiller.
   68. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: March 08, 2017 at 08:54 PM (#5414646)

Penalty one was one of those "Where does the guy go" penalty similar to Australia---Italy (?)

The second one will have letter of the law defenders but in reality it was a billion times softer than the Arsenal one. Just the kind of disgusting diving that makes Soccer unwatchable.

I'll take the first one as a "letter of the law" but will never accept the legitimacy of the second one.

The first one is a tough call, but I usually hate to see a penalty where an offensive player makes no effort to avoid easily avoidable contact (he could see the defender stumbling a mile away, and his only thought was how to take advantage of it), especially when it's not right in front of goal. Two mitigating factors in the ref's favor here... avoiding the defender might have caused the offensive player to slow his movement meaningfully, and the defender didn't look like he was making much of an effort to avoid contact either.

The second one is an affront and an embarrassment.
   69. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: March 08, 2017 at 09:03 PM (#5414648)
Yeah I think the first is the right call. It wasn't in front of goal but he fouled him, hard, in a big time scoring chance.

Second one, if you call any time a striker has a step and gets nudged on a ball like that you're calling a lot of penalties.

Still, Barca are better than PSG. PSG deserve tons of blame, and they are also making quite a habit of melting at this point in the tournament.
   70. Howie Menckel Posted: March 08, 2017 at 09:40 PM (#5414653)
Ireland-Wales World Cup qualifier match coming up this month. stakes look high - how high?

thanks, I'll hang up and wait for your response.
   71. Richard Posted: March 08, 2017 at 09:46 PM (#5414655)
Damn it, international football is back just as promotion and relegation races are getting interesting.

Bigger game for Wales than Ireland. A defeat for Wales would be a big blow to their qualification hopes. Not so much for the Irish.

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Dortmund, Bayern all through. Same old same old.
   72. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: March 08, 2017 at 10:11 PM (#5414659)
Barcelona, Real Madrid, Dortmund, Bayern all through. Same old same old.

I'm not sure if it's the first tier being a bit down or the second tier being a bit up, but I think every team in the quarters or likely to be in the quarters - which I have as City, Atletico, Sevilla, Juventus) have a real, legitimate shot to win it all.

I even wouldn't *totally* write off Leicester, either. Just mostly.
   73. Jose is El Absurd Pollo Posted: March 08, 2017 at 11:19 PM (#5414676)
Yeah no one looks unbeatable. I think the winner of Sevilla-Leicester is the eighth team but while I wouldn't bet on them to win out I wouldn't be shocked if they advanced to the semis.
   74. Dale Sams Posted: March 08, 2017 at 11:34 PM (#5414677)
I don't have anything resembling a horse to back in Spanish leagues but.....the bleating of Barca fans after that game and calling *anyone* who offered a dissent "Gaynaldo fans" makes me hope that they play Madrid and they get stuffed. If I have to watch someone dive without throwing up, better it be CR7 than that horse faced Suarez who looks like he's going to bite the ground when he dives.
   75. Textbook Editor Posted: March 09, 2017 at 12:10 AM (#5414679)
Bigger game for Wales than Ireland. A defeat for Wales would be a big blow to their qualification hopes. Not so much for the Irish.

Eh... I have to disagree. This is a huge game for Ireland. If they lose and Serbia win over Georgia (not guaranteed, but a likely result), they'd be 2nd on GD in the group and only 2 pts up on Wales with 5 still to play (including a head-to-head with Wales). A win and a Serbia win and they'd be 7 points up on Wales (and likely 6 up on Austria, who should beat Moldova) for 2nd place and a playoff berth with 5 to play.

A win over Wales buys them a heck of a lot of wiggle room in their last 5 matches (3 at home vs. Serbia, Moldova, and Georgia; away at Wales and Georgia). At that point, if you get just 5 points from the last 5 matches you force Austria to go 3-1-1 just to tie you, and Wales has to at least win 4 of last 5 to give themselves a chance.

In short, a win over Wales almost guarantees at worst they'll finish 2nd in the group (with a lot more upside than that)... that's a heck of a lot to play for (especially at home). I think this is a huge game for Ireland. While this is not, clearly, a "Group of Death," after the Euros, I know many would have places Ireland as the 4th-best team in the group (after Wales, Serbia, and Austria)--for them to qualify for the WC would really be remarkable.
   76. Howie Menckel Posted: March 09, 2017 at 12:17 AM (#5414681)
for them to qualify for the WC would really be remarkable.

wouldn't be the first time
:)

and thanks
   77. Richard Posted: March 09, 2017 at 01:26 AM (#5414685)

A win over Wales buys them a heck of a lot of wiggle room in their last 5 matches (3 at home vs. Serbia, Moldova, and Georgia; away at Wales and Georgia). At that point, if you get just 5 points from the last 5 matches you force Austria to go 3-1-1 just to tie you, and Wales has to at least win 4 of last 5 to give themselves a chance.

They have wiggle room as it is - their remaining fixtures are more advantageous than Wales' are in terms of home and away.

I see the problems for Ireland if they lose. But Wales are in a much worse spot if they lose. That's why it's a bigger game for Wales. Ireland can live with defeat. Wales cannot. You don't mention the downside of Wales losing, and that's the biggest factor for me.

Anyway, who cares. There's the League One promotion race to worry about that weekend so I will likely not be paying attention.
   78. cmd600 Posted: March 09, 2017 at 03:25 AM (#5414689)
It took me way too long to figure out we weren't talking about the other football, with the Six Nations match between Ireland and Wales coming up this weekend.
   79. Mefisto Posted: March 09, 2017 at 11:56 AM (#5414839)
I picked this up from another site. Selected comments from the French broadcast of the USWNT game:

- We just talked about it, the Americans are freeing some spaces, they're letting Eve Perisset run behind their backs. Short again, she's really not having a great match
- And Allie Long! Allie Long, rubbish! I'm sorry but...
- Yeah she's not up to the expected level. I mean, sincerely if we compare to the defense we saw against England, it was way better
- Look at Allie Long!
- Indeed, she's freeing way too much space... well played from Camille Abily and Eve Perisset from the side.
- Why is Allie Long running backwards instead of trying to block Elodie Thomis? Between Long and Short something has to change. But anyway, good for us!
   80. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: March 09, 2017 at 03:33 PM (#5415059)
Wait, what? Is this real? That's quite a coup for the Pride.
   81. Mefisto Posted: March 09, 2017 at 05:36 PM (#5415168)
I can't find confirmation. Looks possible.
   82. Howie Menckel Posted: March 09, 2017 at 11:34 PM (#5415278)
and thanks for 77 as well

I post a lot on baseball threads here, and more tentatively on the political threads, but my cardinal rule to success in life is to know what you know, and know what you don't know

I do not know, vs this thread on 2018 WC qualifying
#downwarddog
   83. Baldrick Posted: March 10, 2017 at 04:01 PM (#5415704)
As part of an effort to expand my growing multimedia women's soccer empire, I've branched out into podcasting. We're calling the show The 123rd Minute (Twitter: @123rd_minute), and it's currently available through the Backline Soccer podcast feed (available in iTunes and other fine podcasting systems), but will hopefully go into its own at some point in the future. The idea is to cover topics that sometimes get lost in the churn of daily news. History, culture, politics, fandom, tactics, etc. Happily accepting topic suggestions!
   84. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: March 12, 2017 at 11:35 PM (#5416478)
Janssen scored a non-penalty goal! It was against a League 1 team that was already losing 4-0, but we'll take it.
   85. OPS+ Posted: March 13, 2017 at 09:39 AM (#5416566)
Janssen scored a non-penalty goal! It was against a League 1 team that was already losing 4-0, but we'll take it.

The relief on his face was palpable. I did notice an uptick in his aggression immediately after that goal. Hopefully it gives him more confidence, since things don't look good for Harry.
   86. Baldrick Posted: March 13, 2017 at 03:01 PM (#5416717)
For Mefisto, my case for not firing Ellis (quite yet).

I certainly wouldn't be too sad to see her pushed out, but this is my effort to clarify when the case for Ellxit (sorry) would become overwhelming.
   87. Mefisto Posted: March 13, 2017 at 06:28 PM (#5416844)
I think you've made the best case that could be made for Ellis, but it won't surprise you to learn that I'm not persuaded. I read the Red and Black article and agree with it. In fact, I think that case could be made stronger.

To address your points, I don't give much credit to Ellis for the formation experiments you mentioned. Mostly that's because when I look at the players she puts in those formations, I don't see any match between player capabilities and the demands of the position/formation. Nor is this a new criticism of Ellis -- it was true before and during the WC, until her hand was forced when Cheney picked up her second yellow. I've followed her for 10 years now, and it's clear to me that she doesn't understand midfield play, nor is she a good judge of player talent/positioning. While I haven't questioned her understanding of defense until now, I think both the "2 attacking fullbacks (who don't defend)" and the "let's make central defenders out of attacking midfielders" strategies should cause everyone to wonder about that as well.

The "give her more time" argument is, IMO, wrong because her weaknesses have been so clearly demonstrated, and so long-lasting, that we don't need more time to make a considered judgment. Moreover, I do think that coaches generally deserve some time to succeed, so I'd like the new coach to have the 2 years before the next cycle rather than Ellis.

Finally, I'm uncomfortable with any "results" argument. The US has the deepest talent pool in the world. We won lots of games even with April Heinrichs and Greg Ryan in charge. Many of our recent victories have come against teams that pose no threat to the US. A "results" argument tends to beg the question because it implicitly assumes that the coach is responsible, when that's the very point in contention.

I'd be interested to hear what others who follow women's soccer have to say.
   88. madvillain Posted: March 13, 2017 at 06:38 PM (#5416848)
Has there ever been talk of preventing teams from the same league from matching up (if possible) in the UCL quarters? It seems kinda boring to have Dortmund face Bayern or Barca to face Madrid.

Not really sure how such an idea would work, admitted.
   89. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: March 13, 2017 at 06:53 PM (#5416851)
Has there ever been talk of preventing teams from the same league from matching up (if possible) in the UCL quarters?
I'm pretty sure I would be fore it. I might even be for it in the semis.

The UEFA cup allows teams from the same country to match up in the round of 16, which I think was a huge shame this year. (Belgian and German teams faced each other.)
   90. Jose is El Absurd Pollo Posted: March 13, 2017 at 06:53 PM (#5416852)
Chelsea-Tottenham, City-Arsenal

So in this era when we hear about the devaluation of the FA Cup it's interesting that we may have the teams that finish 1-2-3-4 in the league playing in the semis of the FA Cup. When has that happened before?
   91. madvillain Posted: March 13, 2017 at 07:38 PM (#5416875)
Interesting, thanks Auntbea. I'm following Dortmund rather closely thanks to Pulisic (and their overall style) and their fans are fearing an all German tilt in the quarters. Just seems suboptimal to not try and mix up the matchups.
   92. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: March 13, 2017 at 08:35 PM (#5416893)
So in this era when we hear about the devaluation of the FA Cup it's interesting that we may have the teams that finish 1-2-3-4 in the league playing in the semis of the FA Cup. When has that happened before?
Maybe never. Probably the main reason is that by odds alone, at least two of the four teams that eventually finish 1-2-3-4 in the league will meet before the semis 9 out of 10 years.
   93. jmurph Posted: March 14, 2017 at 10:15 AM (#5417045)
Has there ever been talk of preventing teams from the same league from matching up (if possible) in the UCL quarters? It seems kinda boring to have Dortmund face Bayern or Barca to face Madrid.

I actually go the other way on this- I'd rather it happen now than a final with two teams from the same league.
   94. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: March 14, 2017 at 11:43 AM (#5417125)
I actually go the other way on this- I'd rather it happen now than a final with two teams from the same league.
Forcing this would be terrible, because, for example, in a year like this year, the round of 8 would likely have to have all 4 Spanish teams face each other (2 by 2), and the two German teams face each other either now or in the next round. Then in the semis again you'd have to have two Spanish teams face off. The quarters and semis would basically be all intra-country match-ups, all to make sure the final was two different teams (which it likely would have been anyway most years).

Since the final is only one leg, it has always annoyed me less when it was two teams from the same country.
   95. jmurph Posted: March 14, 2017 at 11:58 AM (#5417134)
Yeah I guess I wouldn't want to force it, I just wouldn't want to prevent it.

Since the final is only one leg, it has always annoyed me less when it was two teams from the same country.

This is fair, but man, there is almost nothing less interesting to me in all of sports than ####### Barcelona-Madrid. The sooner I can get those out of the way, the better.
   96. He who brought the butter dish to Balshazar (CoB) Posted: March 14, 2017 at 02:40 PM (#5417248)
Donald Koeman certainly can't be happy with the Lukaku news, but Everton certainly will have a bundle to spend on transfer in the summer as a result ...
   97. He who brought the butter dish to Balshazar (CoB) Posted: March 14, 2017 at 03:00 PM (#5417264)
Err, Ronald ... Silly phone.
   98. madvillain Posted: March 14, 2017 at 05:17 PM (#5417352)
Nasri with the classic over reaction to a shove, headbutts and then a Chris Bosh esque flop from the Leicester guy. Just a stupid foul from Nasri really and he's off.
   99. madvillain Posted: March 14, 2017 at 05:22 PM (#5417355)
Sevilla will have nobody to blame but themselves if things hold.
   100. Baldrick Posted: March 14, 2017 at 05:24 PM (#5417357)
Leicester has moved incredibly quickly for me from fairytale story to 'dear god, please lose and go away forever.'
Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Sheer Tim Foli
for his generous support.