Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

OT: March Madness Thread—

For some reason the OT: College Basketball Thread has been closed, just in time for March Madness.  So let’s use this thread for all of our NCAA Tournament discussion (and NIT, CBI, et al).

The title link goes to Ken Pomeroy’s 2013 NCAA tournament log5 predictions for each round of the tournament.

VoodooR Posted: March 19, 2013 at 11:04 AM | 641 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: basketball, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 7 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > 
   401. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:48 PM (#4397778)
The A-10 over the past decade hasn't had a ton of success getting its lower-tier teams to perform

This in the week that La Salle got to the Sweet 16?
   402. WillYoung Posted: March 27, 2013 at 03:14 PM (#4397802)
The A-10 over the past decade hasn't had a ton of success getting its lower-tier teams to perform

Fordham has been garbage for two decades. Duquesne has been terrible outside of a quick blip when they ultimately decided to fire their coach anyway, for two decades. Dr. G. finally got La Salle going this season.

GW is absolutely on the upswing again after wandering in the doldrums after Karl Hobbs got caught in a recruiting fiasco by the ####### looking for a Pulitzer at the Washington Post (who failed to bother covering that the players from the same shady prep schools were also playing for, among other teams, Georgetown and Maryland and that the coach who brought them to GW had been hired away by JTIII at Georgetown - oh, and #### Phil Martelli for being the anonymous source flinging ####, what a ####### dick). Hobbs wanted to jump to a bigger program after 2006, but when no option came and GW placed some recruiting limitations on him, he got very petulant and recruited a bunch of players who had no business in DI just to spite the school.

Perenniel underachiever Charlotte is leaving the conference.

Otherwise, VCU, St. Louis, and Richmond all have recent tournament appearances.

Rhode Island, Dayton, and UMass <i>should</b> be good the next season or two, but they have been wasting away talent for a few seasons.
   403. VoodooR Posted: March 27, 2013 at 03:18 PM (#4397806)
[396] The A-10 over the past decade hasn't had a ton of success getting its lower-tier teams to perform

Every conference has their dregs, but the WCC doesn't have -- and hasn't had -- a solid mid-tier of teams. There's been Gonzaga and then maybe a challenger (it was Pepperdine in the early 2000s and then nobody for a stretch and finally St. Mary's emerged) and then they added BYU which helped, but teams like Santa Clara, San Francisco, Loyola Marymount. These teams haven't sniffed a tournament in the last 15-20 years.

Edit: Every team mentioned in 402 has had a great deal more success than the #3/4 WCC team over that stretch -- with the exception of Fordham and Duquesne.
   404. smileyy Posted: March 27, 2013 at 04:29 PM (#4397865)
This in the week that La Salle got to the Sweet 16?

And the year after other perennial bottom feeder St. Bonaventure (a.k.a. Olean Welding Academy) got to the round of 32. Maybe I should have said: "The A-10 over the past decade hadn't had a ton of success getting its lower-tier teams to perform."

It's possible that its good for the league not to have Xavier, Temple, and maybe one other rotating contender kick the crap out of the rest of the league on an annual basis. I'm not sure if that says more about Xavier + Temple, or about the rest of the league.
   405. WillYoung Posted: March 27, 2013 at 04:41 PM (#4397881)
And the year after other perennial bottom feeder St. Bonaventure (a.k.a. Olean Welding Academy) got to the round of 32. Maybe I should have said: "The A-10 over the past decade hadn't had a ton of success getting its lower-tier teams to perform."

Right after that story broke, my roommate and I "borrowed" welding masks from the GW Engineering School and wore them to the game with the Bonnies came to town. I had never realized how heavy and hot a welding mask can be.
   406. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 12:56 PM (#4398500)
Smart says he isn't leaving VCU for UCLA or Minnesota. Which, good for him and VCU.
   407. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: March 28, 2013 at 01:22 PM (#4398528)
Strange new world where a coach chooses Virginia Commonwealth over UCfuckingLA.
   408. Esoteric Posted: March 28, 2013 at 01:24 PM (#4398531)
Shaka Smart just announced that he turned down the UCLA job and he's signing an extension with VCU until 2023. He isn't even getting a mega-raise or anything -- $1.2m to $1.5m. (To be fair, that extra 300k is real money, but UCLA could easily have doubled it or more.)

Gotta love his attitude, which is apparently "don't mess with a good thing and a comfortable situation." Smart is golden at VCU pretty much forever (absent some horrible scandal or years and years of unrelieved awfulness), he's beloved in Virginia, he made the program a 'name'...why leave all that for some extra money and a "higher profile" at a job where the pressure would be insane? Good for him, good for VCU.

EDIT: Coke to scott and CFBF.
   409. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 28, 2013 at 01:29 PM (#4398535)
That's bad news for Butler fans, though.
   410. SoSH U at work Posted: March 28, 2013 at 01:33 PM (#4398540)
That's bad news for Butler fans, though.

Eh, can't rule it out, but I'm more surprised by Smart's decision than I would be by a Stevens' rejection of the Bruins.
   411. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: March 28, 2013 at 01:36 PM (#4398542)

Gotta love his attitude, which is apparently "don't mess with a good thing and a comfortable situation." Smart is golden at VCU pretty much forever (absent some horrible scandal or years and years of unrelieved awfulness), he's beloved in Virginia, he made the program a 'name'...why leave all that for some extra money and a "higher profile" at a job where the pressure would be insane? Good for him, good for VCU.

Vehmently disagree. I have zero respect for anyone who gets off being a big fish in a small pond, which is exactly what Smart is at VCU. What is his upside there? Reenacting John Chaney's career at Temple, except without as much regular season success? Whoopie.

If Smart is truly a great coach, UCLA would've given him the opportunity to be a legend. Instead, he's content bullying folks around at VCU. That's not surprising based on his personality that comes across in interviews, but its not something to respect.
   412. Esoteric Posted: March 28, 2013 at 01:44 PM (#4398551)
Vehmently disagree. I have zero respect for anyone who gets off being a big fish in a small pond, which is exactly what Smart is at VCU. What is his upside there? Reenacting John Chaney's career at Temple, except without as much regular season success? Whoopie.

If Smart is truly a great coach, UCLA would've given him the opportunity to be a legend. Instead, he's content bullying folks around at VCU. That's not surprising based on his personality that comes across in interviews, but its not something to respect.
Huh? What a strange perspective. Hey, maybe he enjoys where he is, the athletic department he interacts with, the kids he's able to recruit, the comfort of his location. Maybe he wants to be the first man to coach a mid-major to a Tournament Championship. Maybe he doesn't want to relocate with his wife and two-year-old daughter all the way across the country for a job he could easily, given some bad luck (i.e. not due to his own merit, but the vagaries of fortune and the insanely unrealistic expectations of the UCLA booster/alumni community, who still seem to think it's John Wooden's team), get fired from in a few years. Maybe he just likes good BBQ, I dunno.

Who are you to judge? Or decide what his goals ought to be? And what's this about him "bullying people around at VCU?"
   413. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 28, 2013 at 01:47 PM (#4398554)
Maybe he wants to be the first coach to take a mid-major to a Tournament Championship.

Why do you hate Jerry Tarkanian?
   414. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 28, 2013 at 01:48 PM (#4398555)
Richmond is not known for its barbecue. Otherwise, right on Esoteric.
   415. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 01:55 PM (#4398563)

He'd always be second fiddle to John Wooden. At VCU he can perhaps be their Jim Calhoun or John Thompson. Whose to say 30 years from now when Smart's career is over, VCU isn't a perennial top 25 team in the Big East with a title or two?
   416. Esoteric Posted: March 28, 2013 at 02:00 PM (#4398567)
Richmond is not known for its barbecue. Otherwise, right on Esoteric.
I'm assuming he'd drive over the state line into North Carolina for that. But point taken.

EDIT: And AG#1F also makes a great point, which is that no matter how successful Smart was at UCLA, he would STILL just be "that other coach who wasn't as good as John Wooden." (The poor SOB who has to take Mike Krzyzewski's place at Duke is going to have it even worse...) Meanwhile, Shaka Smart could end up being viewed as the man who MADE VCU, in a way that John Thompson MADE Georgetown or Jim Boeheim MADE Syracuse. He doesn't have their track record yet, obviously, but he also doesn't have to follow in the footsteps of anyone else.
   417. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 28, 2013 at 02:04 PM (#4398571)
He'd always be second fiddle to John Wooden.

I think this isn't much of a consideration at this point. John Wooden is a long, long time ago. Maybe he just likes the area and is holding out for an ACC job.
   418. bunyon Posted: March 28, 2013 at 02:11 PM (#4398579)
I view it a little like players who move to teams "for a ring". Moving to an ongoing dynasty and winning a championship just isn't the same as doing it where you started. It isn't that it is wrong to move and if Smart had gone to UCLA and gone to a final four or won a championship, I wouldn't view it as favorably as doing the same at VCU.

The poor SOB who has to take Mike Krzyzewski's place at Duke is going to have it even worse

Yup. I'm sure there are folks hoping to get that job and who think they can be successful. But, really, I expect Duke to decline a bit in K's last few years, then struggle through a couple coaches, bottoming out at some point and then rebounding when they move outside the K coaching tree.
   419. just plain joe Posted: March 28, 2013 at 02:14 PM (#4398583)
Maybe he wants to be the first coach to take a mid-major to a Tournament Championship.

Why do you hate Jerry Tarkanian?

Doggie Julian, Phil Woolpert, Ken Loeffler, George Ireland & Don Haskins all say hey.
   420. Jeff Frances the Mute Posted: March 28, 2013 at 02:17 PM (#4398586)
Smart wasn't one of UCLA's top candidates. He was at the top of the backup plan list. His agent is doing a great job planting the story that he is "turned down" the UCLA job.

Stevens is a top candidate and it looks like UCLA is going after him hard. Sorry Butler fans.
   421. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 28, 2013 at 02:21 PM (#4398589)
I'm not sure how well Smart's schtick would work at a major anyway.
   422. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 28, 2013 at 02:28 PM (#4398597)
I don't have a problem with what people decide to do with their professional life. There are thousands of reasons to pick one job over another, he knows himself best and has to live with the decision. I am a bit surprised he hasn't moved, because plenty of Universities are ready to give him money and prestige, which will not be there forever - you are not the cool kid for long.
   423. SoSH U at work Posted: March 28, 2013 at 02:29 PM (#4398598)
Stevens is a top candidate and it looks like UCLA is going after him hard. Sorry Butler fans.

I'll start to worry when he signs the contract.
   424. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 02:48 PM (#4398606)

I think this isn't much of a consideration at this point. John Wooden is a long, long time ago.

Maybe. I went to KU and they still talk about Phog Allen all the time, and Wooden was ten times more successful than Allen. As great as Bill Self is, he'll always be just one part of the legend with Roy and Larry Brown, but Phog Allen was the one that started it all.
   425. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 02:55 PM (#4398611)
Doggie Julian, Phil Woolpert, Ken Loeffler, George Ireland & Don Haskins all say hey.

"Screw mid-majors, Independents do it better."- Al McGuire.
   426. JJ1986 Posted: March 28, 2013 at 07:57 PM (#4398780)
Miami should probably stop shooting the 3-ball.
   427. The Ghost's Tryin' to Reason with Hurricane Season Posted: March 28, 2013 at 09:01 PM (#4398814)
Miami had better KEEP shooting the 3's at this late stage.
   428. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: March 28, 2013 at 09:15 PM (#4398824)
My pick of Marquette for the title game is looking good...
   429. madvillain Posted: March 28, 2013 at 09:22 PM (#4398831)
The B1G is big boy basketball. If every conference had the quality they do there would be considerably less chatter about the quality of play.
   430. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 09:30 PM (#4398838)
My pick of Marquette for the title game is looking good...

not even the biggest homer of MU fans has this...

Probably the best they've looked in the tournament since Marquette hammered #1 overall seed UK in '03 regional final.

I'm still of the view that this team can look dreadful for long stretches. While Buzz has gotten the better of Cuse of late, I'd rather see the MU/IU matchup as I could see Crean shitting himself.
   431. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: March 28, 2013 at 09:43 PM (#4398846)
I don't know what to take from that game -- Miami were atrocious. I'll gladly take it, though. Feels nice to finally get a bit of luck come tourney time, as it seems like the main theme of the post-Wade teams has been bad tournament beats (Stanford, Washington) and untimely injuries (McNeal and James in back-to-back years, IIRC).

Still amazed that Buzz has gotten so much out of this team. Also - I'd say almost without exception that Marquette alums absolutely despise Crean. I never got that worked up over his departure, but needless to say these folks are salivating at the chance at a matchup with Indiana.
   432. hokieneer Posted: March 28, 2013 at 09:51 PM (#4398858)
I don't know what to take from that game -- Miami were atrocious. I'll gladly take it, though. Feels nice to finally get a bit of luck come tourney time, as it seems like the main theme of the post-Wade teams has been bad tournament beats (Stanford, Washington) and untimely injuries (McNeal and James in back-to-back years, IIRC).

Dear god Dominic James. Not sure why, but he used to scare me when WVU would play Marquette. Probably because WVU really hasn't had a quick quality PG going back to the Beilein days. Not sure what happened, as the injury wasn't until his senior year, but he never really improved much from his freshman year.

I had Marquette beating Miami in the Elite 8, but in no way did I think they would take Miami to the woodshed. I never really thought Miami was a Final 4 caliber team, but they brought their D game tonight.
   433. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 09:54 PM (#4398862)
I never got ga ga over Crean, though am appreciative of the enthusiasm he did bring and his efforts (even if used car salesman like) towards embracing the student body. Even though Mike Deane's record was 'good' that program was very much spinning wheels in terms of attracting material and he wasn't any improvement over O'Neill. Crean was a bozo and is still a bozo, and yes, most MU fans are really pulling for IU to see that match Saturday, even if I think they can handle Cuse, not so much the IU material on the floor unless Crean shits himself.
   434. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 09:57 PM (#4398865)
one of the years with Dominic James in tow, WVA went nuts for 20 or so 3 pointers in a game at Morgantown. Yuck. Agree though, DJ wasn't much of an upperclassman. McNeal's injury was really what did them in whatever year that was, that loss to Stanford in OT and the Lopez twins was a crusher.
   435. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: March 28, 2013 at 10:23 PM (#4398881)
Wow, this is some pace.
   436. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: March 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM (#4398882)
4398831)

The B1G is big boy basketball. If every conference had the quality they do there would be considerably less chatter about the quality of play.

and wait till they get Rutgers!

Man, Cuse is running circles around Indiana right now
   437. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: March 28, 2013 at 10:29 PM (#4398885)
If they aren't careful the Hoosiers are gonna go into the locker room down twenty.
   438. hokieneer Posted: March 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM (#4398888)
Yeah WVU had games like that back in the day. Hell even when the shots weren't falling from the outside, they would still shoot 25-30 of them, which left a ton of room for the backdoors.

Sometimes even when they hit their 3s it wasn't enough. They went 18-27! from 3s in an Elite 8 game against Louisville and lost. They went 15-33 in a Sweet 16 game against Texas and lost.
   439. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 10:37 PM (#4398891)

I agree that the BIG is best this season, but IU is a bunch of pussies, and not just tonight. Also, the BEAST swallows the whistle like none other, and Cuse is definitely getting to play that way so far tonight. Cuse at MU earlier this year was a mugging of a game.
   440. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: March 28, 2013 at 10:39 PM (#4398894)
I feel pretty good that I pick osu, marquette and currently syracuse to win, however I did pick georgetown to win it all.
   441. hokieneer Posted: March 28, 2013 at 10:41 PM (#4398898)
Well my bracket had survived the upsets so far without too much damage (currently in 8th place in a pool of 75+ people, was in 16th before tonight started). Of course I have IU winning it all like a moron.
   442. PJ Martinez Posted: March 28, 2013 at 11:33 PM (#4398916)
Love this Oladipo guy. He's all over the place.
   443. hokieneer Posted: March 28, 2013 at 11:52 PM (#4398920)
Can always count on Syracuse to go into a combo of prevent offense and horrible shots.
   444. Lassus Posted: March 29, 2013 at 12:01 AM (#4398923)
TAKE THAT KEITH SMART
   445. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: March 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM (#4399109)
so--I just lost 1 of my elite 8 teams and 1 final 4 team and my ranking on ESPN went from 72nd percentile to 91st (???!!) I guess a bunch of people did worser
   446. smileyy Posted: March 29, 2013 at 02:55 PM (#4399252)
Kareem is interested in the UCLA job. Will they make him coach the JV team for a year first?
   447. bunyon Posted: March 29, 2013 at 03:04 PM (#4399257)
446: that would be awesome (Kareem coaching, not the JV thing). I don't know how good he'd be at it, but it would be cool.
   448. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 29, 2013 at 03:09 PM (#4399262)
Kareem's quest for a coaching job is sort of reminiscent of Babe Ruth's. Sad.
   449. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: March 29, 2013 at 03:30 PM (#4399276)
Stevens tweet suggests he ain't going anywhere. Isn't one of UCLA's problems the fact that just about every Tom, Dick and Harry at the UC-Regents/Gov. level has to sign off on any UCLA HC contract?
   450. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 29, 2013 at 03:36 PM (#4399281)
So who is left for UCLA? Has Mark Few already ruled it out? Is Andy Enfeld a candidate or just a flavor of the week? Randy Bennett at St. Mary's? Steve Alford at New Mexico?
   451. Amit Posted: March 29, 2013 at 03:57 PM (#4399288)
I think Gregg Marshall of Wichita State and Buzz Williams of Marquette are near the top of the list now for UCLA. Another option could be former Laker coach Mike Brown.
   452. smileyy Posted: March 29, 2013 at 03:58 PM (#4399290)
Yeah -- Stevens' tweet says "I'm not interested in UCLA" but his other statement said "Sure, I'd listen if UK called..."
   453. Fernigal McGunnigle has become a merry hat Posted: March 29, 2013 at 04:04 PM (#4399296)
Kareem is interested in the UCLA job. Will they make him coach the JV team for a year first?

Does UCLA actually have a JV team? I know UNC has one, as do the service academies and some of the Ivies. I don't think there are many others, which is a real shame.

Also, I just read that the final of the CBI Tournament (between Santa Clara and George Mason) is a best-of-three series. Haven't heard of that before in college basketball

454. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: March 29, 2013 at 04:14 PM (#4399301)
So is Dunk City a flash-in-the-pan, or can they take down the Gators?
   455. Publius Publicola Posted: March 29, 2013 at 04:19 PM (#4399303)
Kareem would be a horrible coach. His communication skills are poor and his general demeanor is diametrically opposed to one a coach needs.
   456. smileyy Posted: March 29, 2013 at 04:25 PM (#4399309)

Also, I just read that the final of the CBI Tournament (between Santa Clara and George Mason) is a best-of-three series. Haven't heard of that before in college basketball

They should have done a home-and-away with aggregate scoring, like in MLS.
   457. Spivey Posted: March 29, 2013 at 05:08 PM (#4399326)
So is Dunk City a flash-in-the-pan, or can they take down the Gators?

Basketball is about making shots. If FGCU keeps shooting like they did the first two games, it will go a long way. I imagine they're going to play that zone they played against Georgetown and force Florida to shoot 3's.
   458. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: March 29, 2013 at 05:18 PM (#4399328)
Basketball is about making shots. If FGCU keeps shooting like they did the first two games, it will go a long way. I imagine they're going to play that zone they played against Georgetown and force Florida to shoot 3's.

Florida can drain a #### load of threes, real quick. Inviting UF to shoot threes is probably not wise.

Truthfully, I think Florida murders Florida Gulf Coast. FGCU has spent the week being feted and celebrating their newfound status. And I don't say that critically: they had a hell of a weekend, and they deserved to enjoy it.

But UF's a much better team, they have a great coach and a week to prepare for the Eagles. I'm not saying an FGCU win is impossible, but assuming Florida's players prepared for FGCU like they were preparing for a good team and not the the school down the road that was founded seven minutes ago I think it's a pretty significant blowout.
   459. smileyy Posted: March 29, 2013 at 05:26 PM (#4399334)

Florida can drain a #### load of threes, real quick. Inviting UF to shoot threes is probably not wise.

There's three-pointers, and there's three-pointers. Just shooting over a static zone can lead to a lot of missed threes. I guess what I'm saying is that you need a more of a plan than "Let's just shoot them out of the zone and hope we're not unlucky" (and I'm sure Florida does)
   460. Publius Publicola Posted: March 29, 2013 at 07:29 PM (#4399396)
...but assuming Florida's players prepared for FGCU like they were preparing for a good team and not the the school down the road that was founded seven minutes ago I think it's a pretty significant blowout.

I think you're really underestimating FGCU. They are no fluke. They're 20-1 on either home or neutral courts. They have a very well-balanced squad.
   461. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 29, 2013 at 07:43 PM (#4399398)
All I can say is that I made a pre-tourney bet about Florida making the Elite 8. I am not unhappy to see them face the Eagles. :)
   462. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: March 29, 2013 at 07:50 PM (#4399405)
I think you're really underestimating FGCU. They are no fluke. They're 20-1 on either home or neutral courts. They have a very well-balanced squad.

I don't think FGCU's a fluke, but I think Florida's a pretty significantly better team, and that doesn't strike me as a particularly controversial statement.
   463. Publius Publicola Posted: March 29, 2013 at 08:08 PM (#4399417)
Well, you're predicting they'll get blown out. I'm not seeing it.

FGCU beat Miami and Florida is a similar squad to Miami.
   464. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: March 29, 2013 at 08:15 PM (#4399424)
FGCU beat Miami and Florida is a similar squad to Miami.

And they lost twice to Lipscomb, lost to Maine, lost to Mercer, lost to St. John's, lost to Eastern Tennessee State, lost to Stetson and didn't win the Atlantic Sun regular season title. KenPom has them 92nd in the country.

They had a big win over a not-completely-healthy Miami team and two huge tournament wins. I'm not denigrating that, and it's clear they aren't the "usual" 15 seed, but again, I feel confident in saying that Florida is better and in predicting the better team to win comfortably.
   465. JJ1986 Posted: March 29, 2013 at 09:35 PM (#4399476)
Marv Albert: "It started with the Johnson penetration"
   466. bunyon Posted: March 29, 2013 at 09:38 PM (#4399479)
JJ, I came here to post that very comment. My wife laughed for a long while.
   467. PJ Martinez Posted: March 29, 2013 at 09:45 PM (#4399487)
That was a hell of a shot by Trey Burke. Wow.
   468. President of the David Eckstein Fan Club Posted: March 29, 2013 at 09:53 PM (#4399492)
Michigan-Kansas is a great game.
   469. madvillain Posted: March 29, 2013 at 09:59 PM (#4399501)
Best game of the tourney easy, you got probably 3 lotto picks and 7 future NBA players in this game and they are showing why.
   470. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: March 29, 2013 at 10:04 PM (#4399505)
this is easily the toughest and gutsiest performance by michigan this season. by far
   471. JJ1986 Posted: March 29, 2013 at 10:04 PM (#4399506)
Kerr is right about how ridiculous this is. A five minute timeout to fix the clock by half a second.
   472. President of the David Eckstein Fan Club Posted: March 29, 2013 at 10:05 PM (#4399507)
Why did he kick it out like that?
   473. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: March 29, 2013 at 10:06 PM (#4399508)
why did the Kansas guy not take the shot on the drive?????
   474. hokieneer Posted: March 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM (#4399510)
I'll echo the "Why the hell did he kick the ball out" sentiment.
   475. JJ1986 Posted: March 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM (#4399511)
I thought Johnson was wide open live, but it didn't look like a great angle on replay.
   476. PJ Martinez Posted: March 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM (#4399512)
Was that by design you think (the kickout, I mean)? Would like to see another replay. Johnson's angle on the shot looked worse than I thought on the first replay, but kicking it out like that seems awfully risky/low percentage.
   477. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: March 29, 2013 at 10:08 PM (#4399514)
Its like he had no idea he was going to have the ball in his hands near the rack.
   478. JJ1986 Posted: March 29, 2013 at 10:09 PM (#4399518)
Watching his eyes on the replay from under the basket - he's looking to make the pass the whole way.
   479. greenback calls it soccer Posted: March 29, 2013 at 10:09 PM (#4399519)
this is easily the toughest and gutsiest performance by michigan this season. by far

Yes, I don't know where that came from.

ETA: I can't believe they outrebounded Kansas.
   480. PJ Martinez Posted: March 29, 2013 at 10:10 PM (#4399520)
If it was by design, that faux timeout granted by the referees' clock-check might have *hurt* Kansas's chances at the end.
   481. madvillain Posted: March 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM (#4399524)

You know, all I could think about was the IU game when GRIII was at the line up 3 with like a minute left. I thought for sure he'd miss them both. Then, after the Whisky shot this year and the Evan Turner shot 4 years ago that once again michigan would get their heart ripped out on a heave.

Didn't happen. #### YEA!
   482. greenback calls it soccer Posted: March 29, 2013 at 10:52 PM (#4399540)
FGCU will skip the Michigan game, and play the Heat in a best of seven. Sheesh.
   483. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: March 29, 2013 at 11:06 PM (#4399545)
FGCU really needs to convert on more of these possessions, Florida isn't going to stay cold for much longer.
   484. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: March 29, 2013 at 11:13 PM (#4399547)
DUNK CITY.
   485. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: March 29, 2013 at 11:17 PM (#4399549)
FGCU has had glimpses of looking like a '15' seed in this game. UF heating up.
   486. Publius Publicola Posted: March 29, 2013 at 11:20 PM (#4399551)
And they lost twice to Lipscomb, lost to Maine, lost to Mercer, lost to St. John's, lost to Eastern Tennessee State, lost to Stetson and didn't win the Atlantic Sun regular season title. KenPom has them 92nd in the country.

And Florida had no ugly losses? If Florida wins, they're going to have to claw it out of the dirt. FGCU is for real. They have excellent balance and play superb team defense.

487. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: March 29, 2013 at 11:24 PM (#4399552)
If FGCU can't get hot again, this game is over.
   488. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: March 29, 2013 at 11:30 PM (#4399558)
C'mon MSU. Beat Duke. Make my friend's wife happy and my friend mad!
   489. Forsch 10 From Navarone (Dayn) Posted: March 29, 2013 at 11:33 PM (#4399562)
I have zero respect for anyone who gets off being a big fish in a small pond, which is exactly what Smart is at VCU.

Perhaps, given time, he'll learn to carry on in spite of your disapproval. It won't be easy, though.

What is his upside there?

Just spit-ballin' here, but ... happiness? Contentment?
   490. cmd600 Posted: March 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM (#4399567)
FGCU is for real. They have excellent balance and play superb team defense.

They did last weekend, and had a hot start tonight, but lets not mistake that for their true talent level. But you don't get a 15 seed if you're actually a good team. For 30-something games they played like teams that get blown out in the round of 64. Maybe they saved something for the tournament, but that would be pretty stupid of them to do so.
   491. The Ghost's Tryin' to Reason with Hurricane Season Posted: March 30, 2013 at 12:09 AM (#4399576)
Bad foul by M State. 7 secs left on shot clock!
   492. Moses Taylor World Re-Tour 2.0: Warszawa Posted: March 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM (#4399690)
Smart wasn't one of UCLA's top candidates.

I call bullshit on this. Especially since they've settled on the scumbag Steve Alford. Oh, he's also a terrible underachiever. But Smart wasn't a real candidate. I bet you'd say Stevens wasn't either after he turned them down too.

Way to hit that hire out of the park.
   493. smileyy Posted: March 30, 2013 at 01:19 PM (#4399715)

What is his upside there?

Just spit-ballin' here, but ... happiness? Contentment?

$1.5M guaranteed for 10 years ain't nothing to spit at either.
   494. Forsch 10 From Navarone (Dayn) Posted: March 30, 2013 at 01:48 PM (#4399725)

Behold the power of UCLA.
   495. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 30, 2013 at 02:07 PM (#4399731)
Ugh. I hate to focus all my negative energy on a 22 year old playing for free, but that was one helluva shitty game Elijah Johnson. Ugh.
   496. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: March 30, 2013 at 02:37 PM (#4399748)
I thought Kansas was a bad match-up for Florida, but I was really looking forward to a UF-KU game. That was tough to watch.
   497. Publius Publicola Posted: March 30, 2013 at 02:46 PM (#4399751)
Stevens turned UCLA down so they went with Alford, who had just signed a 10-year extension a week ago.

Do these college contracts really mean anything, if the coach can just walk away from it scot free? If Alford had a crappy year and New Mexico fired him, they would have to pay a buyout. "Sure, I'll be your coach for the next ten years. Thank you for the longterm commitment... except if a better job comes along, then I'm gone.". So why doesn't Alford have to pay a buyout? Alford's word isn't worth the paper it's written on.

498. Conor Posted: March 30, 2013 at 02:48 PM (#4399753)
If Alford had a crappy year and New Mexico fired him, they would have to pay a buyout. So why doesn't Alford have to pay a buyout? Alford's word isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Apparently there was a buyout, which UCLA is paying.

And count me as skeptical that UCLA really wasn't interested in Smart.
   499. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 30, 2013 at 03:56 PM (#4399783)

Do these college contracts really mean anything, if the coach can just walk away from it scot free? If Alford had a crappy year and New Mexico fired him, they would have to pay a buyout. "Sure, I'll be your coach for the next ten years. Thank you for the longterm commitment... except if a better job comes along, then I'm gone.". So why doesn't Alford have to pay a buyout? Alford's word isn't worth the paper it's written on.

The contract means nothing, the buyout does. The number of years a coach signs for is absolutely meaningless.
   500. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: March 30, 2013 at 04:47 PM (#4399797)
O/U 95? Flip.
Page 5 of 7 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Kiko Sakata
for his generous support.