Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, July 08, 2014

OT: Monthly NBA Thread- July 2014

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, but with our own thread, we won’t detract from what this site is really about: German aggression and Israeli aggression of entirely different types.

andrewberg Posted: July 08, 2014 at 08:17 PM | 1081 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nba, off topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 11 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›
   201. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: July 11, 2014 at 12:33 PM (#4748731)
Wow I'm happy for the Cavs and their fans. What a great story and I'm really impressed with all that he said about his time in Miami, being upset but understanding some of the anger from Cavs fan, and talki it out with Gilbert.

And did anyone else notice he did not mention Wiggins at the end?
   202. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: July 11, 2014 at 12:33 PM (#4748732)
Conspicuously not mentioned: Wiggins. He's going to Minnesota for Love -- book it?
I'd have to think so. And that's a good get for Minny.
   203. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: July 11, 2014 at 12:35 PM (#4748733)
Everyone just pile that crow onto this plate right here in front of me, and pass the Tobasco, if you please.

Conspicuously not mentioned: Wiggins. He's going to Minnesota for Love -- book it?

Without a doubt.

I'm going to put aside my natural cynicism for two seconds and say that I am profoundly impressed by his essay. It almost convinces me this is a genuine face turn, as WWE fans would call it.
   204. andrewberg Posted: July 11, 2014 at 12:35 PM (#4748734)
You have to say that he learned from the criticism of The Decision. That letter reads like a direct response to what everyone said about him at the time. I'm sure it won't stop some from trolling him.
   205. GregD Posted: July 11, 2014 at 12:37 PM (#4748735)
Holy crap!

And yes I also thought it was telling that he didn't mention Wiggins. But also that he went out of his way to Varejao "one of my favorite teammates." Ain't no way he did that if Varejao is part of the deal.
   206. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: July 11, 2014 at 12:39 PM (#4748736)
Ugh. Did not want. The resultant Bosh-to-Houston move just makes the conference disparity wider. Love-to-Cleveland wouldn't mitigate it, because Cleveland just replaces Miami.

Get something done, Bulls.
   207. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: July 11, 2014 at 12:42 PM (#4748741)
So is Dwyane Wade just going to ride into the long night as the oft-injured nominal star of a terrible team, then? He's still a free agent too, is he not?
   208. bob gee Posted: July 11, 2014 at 12:43 PM (#4748742)
great piece by lebron, but i'm disappointed he'd go back to ever be with gilbert again. and has someone else said, good on SI/jenkins for keeping this under wraps.

but the dominos start falling...

bosh -> hou looks likely.
asik -> new orleans, lin -> philly, d-mo probably somewhere else (philly)?

carmelo will be official soon, and now minnesota can say "put your best offers on the table, we've got cleveland involved as well". so you'd have boston / golden state / lakers / cleveland and maybe houston and denver, although i can't imagine the rockets offer being very competitive.

houston has until sunday night to re-sign parsons, but if he gets bosh, does morey 'have' to get parsons back? he'd have one of the big free agents that he claimed to want before the off-season began.

other than the heat (team), wade's the one who took a hit - lost his huge contract...

209. rr Posted: July 11, 2014 at 12:50 PM (#4748746)
I was wrong, but I'm happy about it, more or less, and I like the fact that he seems to be tying Decision 2.0 to trying to use his status to help with the overall struggles for the working/middle class in the Rust Belt. The city of Cleveland deserves it. Gilbert doesn't, however. But of course deserve's got nothin to do with it.

And I will stick with what I said a couple of pages ago, as others have noted: Love is headed to CLE.
   210. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: July 11, 2014 at 12:52 PM (#4748748)
My favorite batshit insane pipe dream for Dwyane Wade: San Antonio on a relatively cheap contract.

Popovich would know exactly how to pace him, rest him and gameplan to get the most out of him. And he would have an excellent chance of getting to face LeBron in the Finals, and a pretty good chance of beating him, raising his own legacy to a new level.
   211. bunyon Posted: July 11, 2014 at 12:55 PM (#4748751)
Popovich would know exactly how to pace him, rest him and gameplan to get the most out of him. And he would have an excellent chance of getting to face LeBron in the Finals, and a pretty good chance of beating him, raising his own legacy to a new level.

If anyone has Wade's, or Wade's agent's, number, could you pass it on to Zeth?
   212. steagles Posted: July 11, 2014 at 12:55 PM (#4748753)
This weekend will be a blast, with all the post-Decision v2.0 dominoes falling.
don't forget aboutn the sixers playing the NBA (summer league) championship game today. right now, in fact. (they're losing)

So is Dwyane Wade just going to ride into the long night as the oft-injured nominal star of a terrible team, then? He's still a free agent too, is he not?
chalmers/wade/deng/mcboberts/gasol
   213. rr Posted: July 11, 2014 at 12:57 PM (#4748756)
My guess is that Wade and Riley's first Plan B will be to try to talk Bosh back to Miami and Anthony into James' old job, assuming that is doable under the cap rules.
   214. andrewberg Posted: July 11, 2014 at 12:57 PM (#4748757)
My favorite batshit insane pipe dream for Dwyane Wade: San Antonio on a relatively cheap contract.

Might Chicago get involved on Wade?
   215. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: July 11, 2014 at 12:57 PM (#4748758)
Yeah, it would be awesome as hell for us as fans, but it would require Wade to set his ego aside and be a cog in the machine rather than a star and accept less money than he could get, and it would require San Antonio to clear some cap space and Popovich to be willing to add a tricky unknown element to his carefully constructed machine. Let's go ahead and file that under "unlikely."

Edit: In my mind I have long linked Gregg Popovich and Bill Belichick, and thus I intuitively believe Popovich would be happy to take a talented veteran onto his team and rework his plans to take advantage. But I don't actually have any idea and it looks from the outside like an unnecessary and dangerous risk.
   216. rr Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:00 PM (#4748760)

Sure, if Anthony stays in New York.
   217. GregD Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:04 PM (#4748764)
My guess is that Wade and Riley's first Plan B will be to try to talk Bosh back to Miami and Anthony into James' old job, assuming that is doable under the cap rules.
That makes sense as a way to salvage things. That's not a super team but it's a team that could contend for sure. If Bosh walks, Miami is looking at a long dark night. I would assume Melo would be about the only signee at this point who could get Bosh to stay. Even then?

Chicago on Wade makes sense. Wonder how long they'd go? I don't think his "I'm Coming Home" announcement would be quite as big!

Ed to add: Woj says Houston is moving fast to sign Bosh in time to then match Parsons' offer sheet.
   218. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:05 PM (#4748765)

Does Anthony have the stones to plug himself in as LeBron 2.0, with the obvious pressure and comparisons that will entail? I say no way.
   219. Booey Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:05 PM (#4748766)
Wow, I'll be damned (LBJ back to Cleve). But it's nice to be surprised every once in a while.
   220. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:06 PM (#4748767)
The tell on LBJ was when he told everyone but Riley, "Plans changed, don't bother showing up at the Vegas meeting."
   221. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:09 PM (#4748774)
I was wrong, but I'm happy about it, more or less, and I like the fact that he seems to be tying Decision 2.0 to trying to use his status to help with the overall struggles for the working/middle class in the Rust Belt. The city of Cleveland deserves it. Gilbert doesn't, however. But of course deserve's got nothin to do with it.

And I will stick with what I said a couple of pages ago, as others have noted: Love is headed to CLE.

Agree 100%.

Sure, going home is the trend now. Melo staying in NY, Wiggins getting traded to Minnesota, which is essentially Canada...

I could talk myself into Wade on the Bulls at the right price, but Thibs would be easily the worst coach for him (he'd run him into the ground well before Christmas).
   222. Into the Void Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:13 PM (#4748776)
Wonder how Danny Granger feels about this...
   223. andrewberg Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:15 PM (#4748779)
Wonder how Danny Granger feels about this...

I started to wonder if the Heat and Granger/McBobs might mutually reneg once the Cleve momentum picked up. I'm sure nobody really wants those deals now and they're not signed.
   224. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:15 PM (#4748781)
Wade on the Suns with their training staff and depth with Dragic and Bledsoe would also be fun.
   225. rr Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:20 PM (#4748787)
I'm sure nobody really wants those deals now and they're not signed.

I think I agree on Granger, but I think McRoberts would probably want his deal anyway. He is still in his 20s, and getting major PT and the MLE while living in Miami is a very nice gig for an NBA guy in his 20s, even if immediate contention is not involved.

Riley might want out of it, of course, as you say,
   226. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:21 PM (#4748792)
NetsDaily.com ?@NetsDaily 18m
The greatest irony of all: Cleveland holds Miami's first round pick in 2015, sent to Cleveland for LEBRON JAMES in 2010.

Ha.
   227. rr Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:22 PM (#4748793)
BaxterHolmes Baxter Holmes
Hang in there, Shabazz Napier
   228. andrewberg Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:23 PM (#4748795)

I think I agree on Granger, but I think McRoberts would probably want his deal anyway. He is still in his 20s, and getting major PT and the MLE while living in Miami is a very nice gig for an NBA guy in his 20s, even if immediate contention is not involved.

I thought I recalled reading that he preferred staying a Horcat, but that the chance to win was just too great to pass up. That could be wrong, though.
   229. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:28 PM (#4748801)
Ken Berger ?@KBergCBS 2m
As the LeBron after-effects crank up, word among multiple team execs is No. 1 pick Andrew Wiggins will be in play in Kevin Love trade.

Zach Lowe ?@ZachLowe_NBA 2m
Teams dealing with HOU right now getting impression from Rox Bosh is locked in, provided they clear enough space.
   230. rr Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:29 PM (#4748804)
I thought I recalled reading that he preferred staying a Horcat, but that the chance to win was just too great to pass up.

Perhaps. McRoberts went to Duke, so he may like living in NC (although obviously all kinds of guys play at Duke).
   231. Booey Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:29 PM (#4748805)
NetsDaily.com ?@NetsDaily 18m
The greatest irony of all: Cleveland holds Miami's first round pick in 2015, sent to Cleveland for LEBRON JAMES in 2010.

As frustrating as it would be for Cleveland to end up with yet another #1 pick, it would also be hilarious if the Heat ended up winning the lottery, only to see it go to the Cavs.
   232. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:31 PM (#4748809)
Ken Berger ?@KBergCBS 1m
League sources also say stars now align in post-decision world for Luol Deng to land in Phoenix. Several teams still in mix.

Another homecoming of sorts, since he was picked with a pick that was initially PHX's.
   233. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:32 PM (#4748810)
I thought I recalled reading that he preferred staying a Horcat, but that the chance to win was just too great to pass up.

Yes, Lowe talked about that a lot. I bet he could get that deal anywhere, so I wonder exactly what it would take to fall through.

Granger, OTOH, probably wants to keep his.
   234. cmd600 Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:33 PM (#4748813)

Protected in the top 10. And Chicago has the rights to swap their pick with Cleveland, but I'm not sure if it applies to any of Cleveland's picks (they could have 3 first rounders next year) or just the one Cleveland is designated by their record.
   235. steagles Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:36 PM (#4748817)
so, the cavs have 4 #1 picks on their roster right now (lebron, kyrie, bennett, wiggins).

i believe the last time any single team had as many as 3 was the 2004 sixers with allen iverson, derrick coleman and glenn robinson. they won 33 games.

236. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:39 PM (#4748819)
ESPN says the 87 Lakers had 4: Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Thompson.
   237. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:41 PM (#4748824)
So when do we think LeBron decided?

It probably wasn't today since he had to write / dictate this, and it got through copy editors. Unless he wrote two letters and this is the one that got published and the "Staying in Miami" one is being run in Ugandan Sports Illustrated.

My guess is that it was a few days ago when the first confident reporters emerged (Sheridan? MikeOberly's guy?), and he wanted to tell Riley in person / give the Heat a chance to start in advance of the announcement.

David Blatt's job just got a lot more high-profile.
   238. Joey B. has reignited his October #Natitude Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:42 PM (#4748825)
Me: "I bet LeBron doesn't even come back to the Heat after this. His teammates have truly been pathetic."

DiPerna: "This line of thought has sprung up all of a sudden. It didn't exist prior to this series, or prior to the series being 1-1. And it is truly a ridiculous assertion."

HAHAHAHA. Once again, DiPerna ends up looking like the stupid idiot that he is. I know, I know: that's about as hard to predict as the sun rising in the east in the morning, given that he's wrong about a hundred times a day.

You would think that sooner or late he would eventually learn to stop embarrassing himself so much, but that's what makes him so darn special.
   239. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:42 PM (#4748826)
so, the cavs have 4 #1 picks on their roster right now (lebron, kyrie, bennett, wiggins).

Kwame Brown can probably be had.
   240. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:43 PM (#4748827)
They could pick Greg Oden up and trot out an all-#1 lineup for the first minute and a half of their first preseason game. I'm sure Minnesota can hold onto Love until then.
   241. rr Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:44 PM (#4748829)
Granger, OTOH, probably wants to keep his

Depends on how bad he wants to ring-chase and how bad he wants 4M, and on whether another contender (like the Cavs) has a spot for him.

I didn't read the Lowe stuff about McRoberts.
   242. rr Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:45 PM (#4748831)
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Asked Cavs coach David Blatt if he's thrilled for chance to coach James. "That would be understatement of the millennium,"
   243. GregD Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:47 PM (#4748833)
   244. madvillain Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:50 PM (#4748836)
Stop trolling through old posts Joey and go back to the politics threads. Nobody wants this thread to turn into a flame war.

So, is Love to Cle the next move?

On the Melo front:

Carmelo Anthony should also make his decision soon and as of late, the Bulls are reportedly gaining momentum, a notion aided by the fact that neither general manager Gar Forman nor executive vice president John Paxson--and possibly head coach Tom Thibodeau--boarded a team flight Friday to Las Vegas for summer league, opting to instead focus on free agency, according to a source.

245. The District Attorney Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:50 PM (#4748838)
@MySportsLegion

Heat band-wagoners are officially leaving...the Heat twitter account has lost nearly 300,000 followers since LeBron's announcement.

@JoelEmbiid

I guess my recruiting skills didn't work
   246. cmd600 Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:54 PM (#4748844)
Scott Raab - "Acceptance, forgiveness, and love."

Somebody punch that fake fan in the face for me please.
   247. madvillain Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:54 PM (#4748847)
ESPN's @stephenasmith reports that Carmelo is undecieded between the Knicks & Bulls. Decsion could be made at any time. The Lakers are out.
   248. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:55 PM (#4748851)
What a ####### joke. He had no sources, he downgraded the chances of LBJ going there today.
   249. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:56 PM (#4748852)
SAS is also a joke, yet for some reason I want to believe him...I wonder why that is.
   250. bob gee Posted: July 11, 2014 at 01:59 PM (#4748854)
248 - was just going to post broussard's tweet. hope that there's lots of major articles mocking him for his foolish "sources" bit, this last one is really ridiculously stupid.

am waiting for broussard to say "sun rises in the east, sets in the west - multiple sources"

251. madvillain Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:05 PM (#4748857)
SAS is also a joke, yet for some reason I want to believe him...I wonder why that is.

I don't know if I've told this story before here:

Back in Christmas time 2008 I was flying back to NYC from Detroit, on a budget ass Spirit flight. I soon realize that Stephan A Smith is sitting one row in front of me. When we land in La Guardia, as per the usual there, we're stuck on the tarmac for maybe 30 minutes. The entire time Stephan A Smith is on his cell phone, in those 30 minutes he is on the phone the entire time trying to work a plan to get back in the game (this was a low point in his career) and how he could get back on the air in NYC on the radio and go from there. He was so ambitious (I was just listening to him thinking he's both crazy and crazy enough to pull it off) and had such energy for the whole entertainment industry charade.

And this was a guy at the low point of his career, flying coach on a discount ass airline, that was completely confident he'd one day be back in the limelight. I don't believe much in the power of positive thinking BS, but I couldn't help but think that at that point SAS was a trapped animal, and he'd bite his own leg off to get back out of that trap.
   252. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:05 PM (#4748858)
Joel-Hans Embiid
I guess my recruiting skills didn't work

He's even got a sense of humor like Oden...

253. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:08 PM (#4748862)
Marc Stein
Sources say Houston Rockets trying to trade Jeremy Lin to the Los Angeles Lakers. Report now on @SportsCenter

The Cavaliers have opened talks by offering guard Dion Waiters, forward Anthony Bennett and a first-round pick to the Timberwolves in exchange for Love, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

Wolves: Wiggins. Cavs: Ok, fine.
   254. cmd600 Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:21 PM (#4748870)
The Cavaliers have opened talks by offering guard Dion Waiters, forward Anthony Bennett and a first-round pick to the Timberwolves

They might even throw in Scotty Hopson and Brendan Hayward!
   255. madvillain Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:22 PM (#4748871)
edit: fake report
   256. GregD Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:31 PM (#4748878)
Report: Pau Gasol has agreed with Thunder 3 years 40 million.
Wow! That is at least one more year than I'd like, but I give the Thunder props for trying to improve.
   257. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:33 PM (#4748881)
Report: Pau Gasol has agreed with Thunder 3 years 40 million.

I don't know how that's possible. Thunder don't have the space, even if they amnesty Perkins.
   258. cmd600 Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:34 PM (#4748882)
That is at least one more year than I'd like

Eh. It then becomes a nice expiring contract to trade.
   259. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:36 PM (#4748884)
edit: fake report

Clearly. And too late on the edit.
   260. rr Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:38 PM (#4748888)
Yeah, I think if that is true, it would be something like 3/10 or 3/15. I think Pau might do that, as I have said, if we believe him when he says that being on a winning team is #1 for him at this stage of his career.
   261. madvillain Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:38 PM (#4748889)
Clearly. And too late on the edit.

Don't be grumpy Moses, it's gonna be a great day for Chicago.
   262. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:39 PM (#4748891)
   263. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:40 PM (#4748892)
Don't be grumpy Moses, it's gonna be a great day for Chicago.

Only one way that's true, cause otherwise they're not winning their division again this decade...
   264. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:41 PM (#4748894)
Adrian Wojnarowski ?@WojYahooNBA 2m
Houston is finalizing a deal to send Jeremy Lin to the Lakers, league source tells Yahoo Sports.
   265. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:45 PM (#4748897)

Clearly Wiggins is going to be traded for Shabazz Napier.
   266. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:45 PM (#4748898)
Ken Berger:
League sources also say stars now align in post-decision world for Luol Deng to land in Phoenix. Several teams still in mix.
   267. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:47 PM (#4748901)
When is Durant slated to hit free agency? I have to think the Lakers are going to try to position themselves to go broke in pursuit of him.
   268. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:49 PM (#4748903)
Summer of 2016.
   269. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:49 PM (#4748904)
When is Durant slated to hit free agency? I have to think the Lakers are going to try to position themselves to go broke in pursuit of him.

2 more years.

EDIT: coke to Lance
   270. rr Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:53 PM (#4748908)
I like the Lin and a pick thing for the Lakers if Woj is right. Lin is fun to watch, he'll be popular in SoCal--and he would be "coming home" as well.
   271. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 11, 2014 at 02:58 PM (#4748913)
For obvious reasons I'm thrilled to see Lin in a Laker uniform. Mostly, those reasons revolve around trying to glom free tickets from people who will look at me strangely when I refer to them as "family."
   272. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: July 11, 2014 at 03:01 PM (#4748916)
Chris Broussard confirms Lebron James is in fact, returning to Cleveland. Also, he has confirmed that John Hancock did, indeed, sign the Declaration of Independence.
   273. andrewberg Posted: July 11, 2014 at 03:03 PM (#4748922)
I can't wait to see Arison's letter.
   274. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 03:07 PM (#4748926)
I can't wait to see Arison's letter.

Micky ArisonVerified account
?@MickyArison
I am shocked & disappointed in today's news. However I will never forget what Lebron brought us for 4 years. Thanks for memories @KingJames

Someone else will post this again when they don't see my post.
   275. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 11, 2014 at 03:19 PM (#4748942)
Maybe even before!
Micky ArisonVerified account
?@MickyArison
I am shocked & disappointed in today's news. However I will never forget what Lebron brought us for 4 years. Thanks for memories @KingJames

Apparently, Heat and Cavs were not informed before James' announcement. If it wasn't clear before, it's clear now that James is the center of the basketball universe, owners included.
   276. The District Attorney Posted: July 11, 2014 at 03:21 PM (#4748945)
Man, there's eating out of the garbage, and then there's flying Spirit. I'll never be able to take Stephen A. seriously again. (I'll give madvillain a pass.)

But seriously, I actually think Stephen A. has a potential unique and interesting perspective to provide... I remember he did an interview with Iverson that was quite insightful... but he's been so ESPN-hot-take-ized by now that we'll never see it.

@JoelEmbiid

It really doesnt matter...... Spurs is winning then Sixers the following year
   277. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: July 11, 2014 at 03:24 PM (#4748950)
Is LeBron still in Miami if A)they had kept Mike Miller and B)the AC doesn't break down in Game 1?

I think if Miami had won the title, he'd definitely be staying. It was also tough for LeBron to see Miller go for financial reasons when him being there gives the Heat a license to print money.
   278. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: July 11, 2014 at 03:32 PM (#4748962)
I just heard about Decision II a few minutes ago while driving. Best news I've heard in the sports world in so long I can't even remember. I can now finally reconcile my opinion of LeBron as a person with my opinion of him as a player.

I flamed LeBron for "The Decision", but after reading his obviously heartfelt statement today, it seems clear that he understands a lot of things that it didn't appear he did four years ago.

And I'm really happy for Cleveland fans who've stuck it out over the long and lean years. That city's been dumped on for so long in so many ways that I'd almost love to see the Cavs and the Browns win about 10 championships in a row as a partial payback for it.
   279. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: July 11, 2014 at 03:34 PM (#4748966)
I flamed LeBron for "The Decision", but after reading his obviously heartfelt statement today, it seems clear that he understands a lot of things that it didn't appear he did four years ago.

That the public is easily manipulated?
   280. GregD Posted: July 11, 2014 at 03:37 PM (#4748974)
I think if Miami had won the title, he'd definitely be staying. It was also tough for LeBron to see Miller go for financial reasons when him being there gives the Heat a license to print money.
I agree that Mickey Arison's desire to cut the luxury tax bill possibly cost him a lot of money. Maybe their moves--amnestying Miller, dumping their draft choice so they could move Joel Anthony's contract, and refusing to use the mid-level exceptions--wouldn't have made a difference this year in the Finals, but it surely made a difference in James' perception of the franchise.
   281. I am going to be Frank Posted: July 11, 2014 at 03:37 PM (#4748975)
How crazy is it that he announced this decision via an essay on a magazine website?
   282. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: July 11, 2014 at 03:40 PM (#4748979)
Winners:
Lebron: the essay is the anti-Decision. Heck, I even teared up a little as I read it. I know I'll be attacked as a saccharine sap for saying this, but the essay is the feel good letter of the last decade. It will be read in a Voice-over when the biopic is made about Lebron. Beautiful stuff.

cavs: obviously

Sheridan: he put his neck out on this one and was correct.

Bosh: he's going to make tons of money and Houston is going to be awesome.

Rockets: again, top 2 or 3 in west.

Losers:

Broussard: strangely he was one of the earliest to mention he had a feeling that Lebron was Cleveland bound but he's so greedy for clicks his last tweets were jokes.

arison/Riley: hahaha

Wade: :(
   283. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: July 11, 2014 at 03:50 PM (#4748986)
Just thought of how great it would be to see Love outlet passes to Lebron...
   284. rr Posted: July 11, 2014 at 03:52 PM (#4748987)
I defended James very vociferously here back in 2010, including from some of the shots taken at him by Andy then, so I will introduce one note of mild cynicism now, in that I think James made this call armed with the firm belief that Love will be in Cleveland. Irving will never be as good as Wade was at his peak, and Love has his faults as a player. But I think that the part James left out of the SI piece (he had to leave it out, so I am not saying that he should have put it in) is that looking at a three-to-four-year window, he would rather take his chances with Love ages 26-29 and Irving ages 22-25 as his running mates than with Bosh and Wade, who are 30, and 32, respectively, and the uncertainty thereof.

That said, I think James meant what he said about Ohio, and as an individual who is very concerned about the economic/class issues, not only in the Rust Belt but around the US, that James indirectly touched on, I very much hope that his return to Cleveland can have some positive effects in those areas for people there.
   285. MikeOberly Posted: July 11, 2014 at 03:58 PM (#4748992)
Love on the same team as Lebron would be amazing, and I'd love to see it. Just depends on if the Cavs want to be cap strapped or if they want to gamble on their young players. I'd think Love and Diang (sp?) in exchange for Wiggins and a lot of stuff would be nice. Gasol to the Thunder would be one of my favorite signings...assuming he's heAlthy etc. The West would be such a dogfight. (Yeah, it is already)
   286. Joey B. has reignited his October #Natitude Posted: July 11, 2014 at 04:01 PM (#4748995)
How crazy is it that he announced this decision via an essay on a magazine website?

For anyone else it would be crazy, but for LeBron, something like that is almost as predictable as him bailing on the Heat as soon as it became obvious that Wade is toast.

James is the Jennifer Aniston of the sports world: his need to always be the center of attention is insatiable.
   287. Booey Posted: July 11, 2014 at 04:09 PM (#4749000)
But I think that the part James left out of the SI piece (he had to leave it out, so I am not saying that he should have put it in) is that looking at a three-to-four-year window, he would rather take his chances with Love ages 26-29 and Irving ages 22-25 as his running mates than with Bosh and Wade, who are 30, and 32, respectively, and the uncertainty thereof.

Yeah, I thought the same. I believe that he really does love Cleveland and all, but if the Kevin Love rumors are true, the Cavs likely give him a greater chance of WINNING too, so it's not like he's giving up a better shot at personal success in favor of sentimentality (which is what he would've done if he'd resigned with Cleveland instead of Miami 4 years ago). This move makes sense even from a pure basketball perspective.

288. Howie Menckel Posted: July 11, 2014 at 04:12 PM (#4749001)
"I'll never be able to take Stephen A. seriously again."

again?

fyi, Broussard covered the Cavaliers before getting the NY Times Nets beat back in the 1990s.

how SI got it, supposedly, but doesn't get beneath the surface much and a little inside baseball. still, it's BBTF so

http://adage.com/article/media/sports-illustrated-lebron-james-exclusive/294096/

289. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: July 11, 2014 at 04:48 PM (#4749019)
The Cavaliers have opened talks by offering guard Dion Waiters, forward Anthony Bennett and a first-round pick to the Timberwolves in exchange for Love, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

Wow, that's the worst leaked offer yet. If the Wolves actually trade Love to the Cavs without getting Wiggins in return, Flip Saunders is the worst negotiator ever. I'm sticking with Wiggins, Waiters, Thompson, Bennett, and a pick for Love and either Martin or Brewer.

I'm very much hoping that LeBron closing the door on coming to New York next year pushes Melo to Chicago.
   290. GregD Posted: July 11, 2014 at 04:51 PM (#4749021)
   291. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: July 11, 2014 at 05:32 PM (#4749035)

Next time around: an interpretive dance.

Or perhaps a rebus.

A scavenger hunt?
   292. The District Attorney Posted: July 11, 2014 at 05:43 PM (#4749043)
Swaggy P wants to get in on the Linsanity! Back to Lakers, $21.5M/4 yr

@WojYahooNBA

Chris Bosh is finalizing an agreement to return to Miami on a five-year, $118M deal, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
WAT
   293. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 05:43 PM (#4749044)
David Aldridge
Nick Young's deal to remain in L.A. with the Lakers is $21.5 million over four years, with a fourth year player option.

The Lakers still don't have a coach, right?
   294. rr Posted: July 11, 2014 at 05:45 PM (#4749046)
The Lakers still don't have a coach, right?

--

It will almost certainly be Scott.

295. MikeOberly Posted: July 11, 2014 at 05:48 PM (#4749048)
Oops, I'm blind, posted two posts up.
   296. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 05:54 PM (#4749050)
Chris Bosh is finalizing an agreement to return to Miami on a five-year, $118M deal, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Oh man, LOL at the Rockets. It could still work out for them, but geez. Rockets can't quite get to the true max, and can't offer the 5th year. Bosh gets to be the man on a team again, but not the face of the team. Interesting choice.
   297. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 05:58 PM (#4749052)
Mike Bresnahan
Agent Mark Bartelstein: Nick Young "had a chance to make more money coming off the year he had but this is where he wanted to make his home"

Nothing against Swaggy P, but who really wanted to offer him more than that?

Jeff Goodman
Told that Chris Bosh -- and maybe more importantly -- his wife love is down in Miami. Was significant in decision to spurn Rockets offer.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA 10m
With Bosh back, Miami is trying to complete shorter deals with Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem, league sources tell Yahoo.

They gotta make it right with Haslem, but he can't really be a priority.
   298. The District Attorney Posted: July 11, 2014 at 05:59 PM (#4749054)
Oops, I'm blind, posted two posts up.
Nah, I edited. ;)

So, umm, do the Rockets back out of the Lin trade? Do they make a play for Melo? Do they just say "well, at least we can afford to bring Parsons back now" and call it a day after that? Huh.
   299. bob gee Posted: July 11, 2014 at 05:59 PM (#4749055)
that's hysterical, 292. thanks for the update.
   300. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: July 11, 2014 at 06:07 PM (#4749057)
So, umm, do the Rockets back out of the Lin trade?

Can't. Done.

Do they make a play for Melo?

They can try, not sure what would have changed for him to un-eliminate them.

Do they just say "well, at least we can afford to bring Parsons back now" and call it a day after that?

They have 48 hours to use their cap space to sign someone else or the Parsons move looks even worse. I can't wait.
Page 3 of 11 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Tuque
for his generous support.