Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, August 01, 2014

OT: Monthly NBA Thread - August 2014

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, but with our own thread, we won’t detract from what this site is really about: the history of Algeria??  ####### seriously???  #############…

Ahhh… that’s better.

The District Attorney Posted: August 01, 2014 at 01:25 PM | 383 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: basketball, nba, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 
   201. theboyqueen Posted: August 11, 2014 at 03:00 PM (#4768696)
That said, what's KD doing hanging out in Toronto? Seems like pretty lame place to take a summer vacation.
   202. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: August 11, 2014 at 03:01 PM (#4768698)
If he really is "officially" a Raptor, he has a lot more explaining to do.
   203. The District Attorney Posted: August 11, 2014 at 03:13 PM (#4768712)
That fine is NCAA-esque.
   204. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: August 11, 2014 at 03:22 PM (#4768720)
That said, what's KD doing hanging out in Toronto? Seems like pretty lame place to take a summer vacation.

Beats hell out of a winter vacation there, dunnit?
   205. NJ in DC (Now with temporary employment!) Posted: August 11, 2014 at 03:25 PM (#4768723)

Pretty much all of the young black male athlete/entertainer crowd was there that weekend. Drake has a weekend concert/festival at the end of the summer that has become somewhat of a big deal. Plus, I happen to think Toronto's pretty fun based on the one weekend I spent there for a wedding.
   206. andrewberg Posted: August 11, 2014 at 03:35 PM (#4768730)
Interesting question a friend posed to me- who is the best player ever sent out in a trade for a superstar?
   207. Moses Taylor World Re-Tour 2.0: Warszawa Posted: August 11, 2014 at 03:37 PM (#4768735)
I guess we don't know how Kobe would look after the injury, but he can't be the worst defensive SG, can he?
   208. Conor Posted: August 11, 2014 at 03:38 PM (#4768736)
In the playoffs, Mourning (as the big star) only got past the first round twice. In 1997 they went to the conference finals before running into the Bulls. In 2000 they lost to the Knicks in the second round, 7 games. Was that the year of the crazy brawl?

The brawl was 97, i'm biased, but I think the Knicks win one of the last 2 if both teams are at full strength and then have the chance to lose to the bulls.
   209. andrewberg Posted: August 11, 2014 at 03:41 PM (#4768742)
I also just learned that David Kahn found work. He is teaching a class on negotiations at NYU. No word on whether they have hired any Bond henchmen to teach marksmanship.
   210. Bitter Mouse Posted: August 11, 2014 at 03:49 PM (#4768755)
No word on whether they have hired any Bond henchmen to teach marksmanship.

No chance, the Imperial Stormtroopers have the gig locked up.
   211. RollingWave Posted: August 11, 2014 at 05:57 PM (#4768883)
Are the Lakers going to start Lin, Kobe, Young, Boozer, and Hill together? You could make an argument that each of those 5 is the worst defensively at his position in the league. I would buy that they are all bottom 5. That could get ugly.

Context of system is often a weird thing no, I agree Boozer wasn't good, but he somehow the second highest minutes leader for the overall best defense team in the league for the last 4 season. Kobe has ranged wildly between great to bad in his career I think most of us agree that when he's trying on D he's certainly not a bad defender, though at this stage of his career he's likely to suspect at least.

Hill is an interesting case, I think many of us overlook that he's actually still relatively young player despite being around a long time already, and last year was the first which he (barely) cracked 20mpg, there is a possible argument that he's one of those bigs who might peak late. I think he's probably a better version of Reggie Evans. though how much better remains to be seen. Certainly what he still suck at now are things that's likely to peak late (general awareness related issues.)

Lin's defense has actually rated out pretty good from the numbers in the last few years. from RAPM wise he's actually rated out in the top half of the PG who got major minutes in all 3 season since he broke out (he's defensive RAPM been 0.2/ -0.2/0.1 in the last 3 year, so right around average, adjusting for position context it's quite good. the best PG defensively barely topped +1), though he's done it in different ways in general, being a lot more of a gambler in the first couple years while last year he actually seem to played the screens and team concept pretty well. But obviously if he's your best defender your in big trouble, and he's not someone who can shut down guys 1 on 1 on most nights.

Nick Young has been legitimately bad though.

I don't think they'll be a good defense, but they'r all vets so with a reasonable system you probably could get a half decent one out of them, provided that you can convince Nick Young to actually play in said system which remains a question mark.

I doubt they start all 3 of Boozer / Hill / Young though they might need to start Young out of lack of option (I mean, Wes Johnson? I guess they could start Xavier Henry who's still quite young and might legitimately get better.). I think Byron hinted about starting Ed Davis over Boozer which would be a good idea obviously and make a lot more sense in the context of the team. Davis and Hill are both energic guys who can run a pick and roll pretty well. and they'll probably throw in Ryan Kelly a lot more than we suspect once the season gets rolling, given that he's the one guy of that bunch that can actually hit a 3.

They're likely pretty bad but there's some reasons to think they could be not quite that bad, certainly a veteran team with a healthy Kobe is unlikely to be THAT bad, of course the later is a question mark. if anything it's actually the offensive end that scares me more than the defensive end, defensively I know they won't be good but have reasons to think they probably won't be horrible either, rating out between 15-20 seems plausible to me, but offensively a lot of the general mediots think they're going to be really good when in fact they could be quite awful. In the same grain suggested Lin hasn't been a good offensive PG in the last couple year despite the perception, (granted, his skill set suggest he should be.) and they have a lot of guys who take iso long 2s and only a good Kobe Bryant could justify taking that shot and still succeed.

That's actually the bigger reason I have against starting Boozer, it's that he's been a pretty bad black hole on the offensive end who takes shots out of the flow of the system. if your not going to have bigs who can actually do good things offensively then you would at least want to have energy bigs who doesn't take away too many shots from you and would just rebound and screen, Boozer is the worst offensive rebounder of the bunch, probably because too many of the time the miss came on his fade away jumper.

212. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: August 12, 2014 at 01:41 PM (#4769485)
According to Sarver, Bledsoe's reps have cut off communications with the team.
   213. Jimmy P Posted: August 12, 2014 at 02:21 PM (#4769551)
Ballmer is going to take control of the Clippers today. The NBA filed a counter suit against Sterling.

Primer retweet:
James Andrew Miller @JimMiller
Hearing @BillSimmons leaving @NBACountdown to create Grantland themed prime time NBA show for @espn
   214. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: August 12, 2014 at 02:33 PM (#4769563)
Nick Young has been legitimately bad though.

I even think Young is underrated defensively, which is not to say good or even average.
   215. RollingWave Posted: August 12, 2014 at 03:45 PM (#4769641)
Young has his moments of good defense so I guess it's not a total lost cause, but his overall +/- effect defensively have been consistently appalling.

216. Fourth True Outcome Posted: August 12, 2014 at 04:08 PM (#4769659)
What in the world does Bledsoe's team think it's accomplishing? There's not going to be an outside offer, so he can take the QO or the offered extension, but I don't see how this type of aggrieved response does anything useful for his position, short- or long-term.
   217. steagles Posted: August 12, 2014 at 04:33 PM (#4769679)
Interesting question a friend posed to me- who is the best player ever sent out in a trade for a superstar?

marc gasol has a pretty strong argument.
That fine is NCAA-esque.
i disagree. if drake was just a guy, that'd be one thing, but he's on the raptors payroll. if he engages in a clear violation of league policy, i see no reason why the team shouldn't be held accountable for it.
   218. Jimmy P Posted: August 12, 2014 at 04:39 PM (#4769685)

Established or draft night? Because Chris Webber for Penny Hardaway was pretty big on both sides. Vlade for Kobe is also one of those.
   219. tshipman Posted: August 12, 2014 at 04:44 PM (#4769694)
James Andrew Miller @JimMiller
Hearing @BillSimmons leaving @NBACountdown to create Grantland themed prime time NBA show for @espn

Good news if Zach Lowe is being featured. Bad news if it's just more Simmons with a weaker focus.

TV is the worst thing to happen to Simmons in some time.
   220. andrewberg Posted: August 12, 2014 at 04:49 PM (#4769699)
i disagree. if drake was just a guy, that'd be one thing, but he's on the raptors payroll. if he engages in a clear violation of league policy, i see no reason why the team shouldn't be held accountable for it.

I agree. The real stupidity is the transaction between the team and Drake that made him an official member of the front office.

Established or draft night? Because Chris Webber for Penny Hardaway was pretty big on both sides. Vlade for Kobe is also one of those.

Established star going out, so Vlade/Kobe doesn't qualify (Vlade was not a superstar, except at looking like he smells like aftershave and cigarettes).
   221. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: August 12, 2014 at 04:53 PM (#4769701)
Good news if Zach Lowe is being featured. Bad news if it's just more Simmons with a weaker focus.

TV is the worst thing to happen to Simmons in some time.

Simmons has done good work on 30 For 30 choosing subject matter and directors and at Grantland in lining up writing talent. If "create a show" means working behind the scenes to put together a compelling product and top-notch talent, it could work out really well. If it means an opportunity for him to spend 10 minutes a night slowly transforming into Andy Rooney in front of our eyes, well, that's less promising.
   222. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: August 12, 2014 at 05:20 PM (#4769724)
What in the world does Bledsoe's team think it's accomplishing? There's not going to be an outside offer, so he can take the QO or the offered extension, but I don't see how this type of aggrieved response does anything useful for his position, short- or long-term.
No idea. Perhaps his agent also represented Jody Reed.
   223. tshipman Posted: August 12, 2014 at 05:39 PM (#4769743)
Simmons has done good work on 30 For 30 choosing subject matter and directors and at Grantland in lining up writing talent. If "create a show" means working behind the scenes to put together a compelling product and top-notch talent, it could work out really well. If it means an opportunity for him to spend 10 minutes a night slowly transforming into Andy Rooney in front of our eyes, well, that's less promising.

Agree completely on both counts. The TV work has really made his writing suffer as well, as he constantly makes these stupid name-drops. It was bad enough when he ran into Thomas at a pool in Las Vegas and wasted a chapter, but every NBA piece is filled with fluff about what Doug Collins or Jalen Rose or whoever thinks.

What about what Zach Lowe thinks? You know, the excellent NBA writer you have on staff? The guy who's probably the best writer on the NBA?

224. Manny Coon Posted: August 12, 2014 at 05:39 PM (#4769744)

Chauncey Billups maybe? Marc Gasol is definitely a strong choice as previously mentioned. Would Igoudala count? He didn't go to the Magic or leave the Lakers, but was part of the Dwight Howard deal. Who was the star of the Kidd/Marbury trade, either of them?

Was Ed Macauley a superstar? Hall of Fame and 7 straight all-star games when he was traded for Russell.
   225. andrewberg Posted: August 12, 2014 at 06:10 PM (#4769765)
Oooh, great pull on the Macauley/Russell one. Tough to beat that.
   226. Booey Posted: August 12, 2014 at 06:30 PM (#4769779)
Chauncey Billups maybe? Marc Gasol is definitely a strong choice as previously mentioned.

Marc Gasol wasn't an established star when he was traded. Or am I misunderstanding the qualifier?
   227. Manny Coon Posted: August 12, 2014 at 06:36 PM (#4769782)
Marc Gasol wasn't an established star when he was traded. Or am I misunderstanding the qualifier?

I think the qualifier is that Pau Gasol was, the guy going out.
   228. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: August 12, 2014 at 07:49 PM (#4769815)
Greg Monroe is taking the Pistons' QO ($5.5MM).
   229. orioletragic Posted: August 12, 2014 at 07:57 PM (#4769818)
Has anybody read Idan Ravin's latest book? (The only player he really throws under the bus is Kobe.) I couldn't help but wonder how it is that these players needed coaching on stuff like keeping their eyes up while dribbling, and how it is that a team's entire coaching staff can't seem to accomplish for their star player what Ravin claims he can.
   230. thok Posted: August 12, 2014 at 09:06 PM (#4769857)

Ben Wallace is another contender (when he was part of the Grant Hill trade.)
   231. steagles Posted: August 13, 2014 at 12:22 AM (#4769935)
Ben Wallace is another contender (when he was part of the Grant Hill trade.)
depending on your opinion of starbury, he was the centerpiece in separate trades involving ray allen and jason kidd. oh, and there was the three way involving him, terrell brandon and sam casell (worst/slash/ever).
   232. theboyqueen Posted: August 13, 2014 at 12:38 AM (#4769939)
Agree completely on both counts. The TV work has really made his writing suffer as well, as he constantly makes these stupid name-drops. It was bad enough when he ran into Thomas at a pool in Las Vegas and wasted a chapter, but every NBA piece is filled with fluff about what Doug Collins or Jalen Rose or whoever thinks.

What about what Zach Lowe thinks? You know, the excellent NBA writer you have on staff? The guy who's probably the best writer on the NBA?

Jalen is great on those Grantland podcasts. Television just doesn't seem like a medium suited to what Grantland does well.

Agree that Simmons writing these days is quite lame, but there is consistently so much good stuff to read on Grantland (and much to ignore, obviously) that overall I am quite glad it exists.
   233. RollingWave Posted: August 13, 2014 at 01:28 AM (#4769947)
ESPN panel voting project Rockets to finish 8th, that would be a disaster if it happens. (and looking at last year's list, they have a pretty decent grasp on the teams except those that literally surprised everyone.)
   234. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: August 13, 2014 at 09:52 AM (#4770027)
Ack. I'd meant to predict here that Monroe would do that. You know, for the non-existent points I'd earn? Oh well...
Simmons still has moments as a writer.
Lowe really is a wonder. I'm jealous of his skill, which is not a feeling I'm accustomed to.
215/RW on Swaggy's D: True.

235. The District Attorney Posted: August 13, 2014 at 02:48 PM (#4770300)
If drake was just a guy, that'd be one thing, but he's on the raptors payroll.
He has a title, but he's not on the "payroll" in the sense of being paid money.

Allegedly, the league offered to rescind the fine if the Raps disassociated themselves from Drake. Which does seem crazy, since that is seemingly not something the league should want to see happen, and indeed Kelly Dwyer is skeptical.
   236. RollingWave Posted: August 13, 2014 at 09:13 PM (#4770655)
schedule released, opening night, Mavs at Spurs and.... Rockets at Lakers (heh)

I suspect the Lakers might win the first game just because (they beat the Clippers on opening night last year too lol)
   237. smileyy Posted: August 14, 2014 at 01:33 AM (#4770771)
I'll echo what 232 said. If the existence of Simmons' writing is the price of admission to the quality of writers he's assembled at Grantland... That's not so terrible a price to pay.
   238. Fourth True Outcome Posted: August 14, 2014 at 12:45 PM (#4771056)
I completely agree with 237. Simmons has always been a better evaluator of other writers than of himself. It's too bad that getting big enough to launch Grantland also meant he got big enough that he apparently doesn't have to listen to editors, or at least his editors aren't willing to edit him as much as they should.
   239. rr Posted: August 14, 2014 at 09:58 PM (#4771470)
Next season, even though he probably won't be able to play because of the leg injury that he suffered recently, Paul George is going to transform into "PG-13." The Pacers forward is changing his jersey number from No. 24 to No. 13 in order to adopt that new nickname. But before a player can change his number, the NBA requires that player to buy up all of their old jerseys from the manufacturer, who, in this case, is adidas. So at the moment, PG-13 has a ton of his No. 24 jerseys in his possession after deciding to change his number.

Well, at least, he had a ton of them in his possession. Late yesterday, George took to Twitter and revealed that, rather than keep the jerseys in his basement or throw them away, he decided to donate all of the No. 24 jerseys that he bought from adidas to his alma mater Knight High School in Palmdale, Calif.

one of several photos

story
   240. The District Attorney Posted: August 14, 2014 at 10:01 PM (#4771474)
before a player can change his number, the NBA requires that player to buy up all of their old jerseys from the manufacturer
What?? Yeesh.
   241. rr Posted: August 14, 2014 at 10:05 PM (#4771478)
What?? Yeesh.

Yeah, I didn't want to get into that part...but let's just say that I think that Michele Roberts might want to put that on a list of lower-priority points to discuss. But maybe I am missing something.
   242. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: August 14, 2014 at 10:06 PM (#4771479)
I completely agree with 237. Simmons has always been a better evaluator of other writers than of himself. It's too bad that getting big enough to launch Grantland also meant he got big enough that he apparently doesn't have to listen to editors, or at least his editors aren't willing to edit him as much as they should.

Getting famous enough to gain exemption from editing and consequentially jumping the shark is a fate that has befallen many better writers than Bill Simmons (and no mistake, that is exactly what happened to his writing).

He seems to have a genuine talent for assembling talent around himself, though.
   243. tshipman Posted: August 14, 2014 at 10:09 PM (#4771483)
He seems to have a genuine talent for assembling talent around himself, though.

Yeah, this is definitely true. Can you imagine back in 2009 or whenever having this conversation? I mean, it was easy to predict that Simmons might get nutty without any editing, but that he would be so good at assembling great writers? Who knew!
   244. rr Posted: August 14, 2014 at 10:14 PM (#4771488)
Simmons is a very mainstream guy in all his tastes, it seems (indeed, that is part of the Joe Fan appeal of his work). But I think that he is also a guy who appreciates refined and interesting talent within the areas that he knows/likes--whether it is jocks, actors, or writers. I am not all that into many aspects of mainstream pop culture these days, (although I am into a few) but I know people who are, and they say that the people who write about TV/movies etc. for Grantland are mostly interesting writers.
   245. RollingWave Posted: August 14, 2014 at 10:45 PM (#4771512)
Jordan Hamilton signs with the Raptors.
   246. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: August 15, 2014 at 11:21 AM (#4771709)
As did Francisco Garcia with Houston (2 years).
   247. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: August 15, 2014 at 11:36 AM (#4771719)
I was browsing through Shawn Marion's numbers recently - I didn't realize how pedestrian his adjusted +/- numbers have been in recent years (this is apart from the way his game fell off in '13-'14 last season). For example, he hasn't been a positive in RAPM in any of the last four seasons.
   248. smileyy Posted: August 15, 2014 at 05:30 PM (#4772058)
   249. frannyzoo Posted: August 15, 2014 at 08:25 PM (#4772160)
Sorry to invade the thread as a non-BB person, but just wanted to posit that Simmons has benefited from the rather rapid change in mainstream sensibility about marijuana. His posts were edgy in this regard a few years back, and, in retrospect, something of a forerunner to the more widespread acceptance of the drug. I used to read "page 2" and have dabbled with Grantland. His prose is not for everyone, but I tend to like it, overall. Meanwhile, as for his TV work, I haven't seen more than about 12 seconds of it. In those 12 seconds I've thought to myself, "hmmm...ESPN must be okay with the weed thing, which is okay in my book." Then I hit the remote to another, more interesting, channel.

250. The District Attorney Posted: August 15, 2014 at 09:15 PM (#4772193)
New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony is getting advance payment of more than $62 million from the five-year contract he signed last month, according to people familiar with the matter.

The advance for $62,032,340—or 50% of his $124 million-plus deal—is the maximum Anthony can take this soon under league rules.
Maybe he's planning to change his uniform number?
   251. madvillain Posted: August 16, 2014 at 12:01 AM (#4772260)
James Dolan does less with more than any other owner. How many owners would really advance that much of a contract?
   252. The District Attorney Posted: August 16, 2014 at 12:46 AM (#4772270)
Umm, I now see that article has a pretty major correction. Apparently Melo is getting half the salary in advance each year, not all at once.

I was wondering how ownership could even be expected to cope with that sort of requirement... although it would certainly ensure that you couldn't have any Wilpon-esque owners who can't really afford to run their franchise!

Well, it was only the Wall Street Journal, why should they know the business end of the sport.
   253. rr Posted: August 17, 2014 at 04:02 AM (#4772709)
Like LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony has cut out the carbs:

picture
   254. NJ in DC (Now with temporary employment!) Posted: August 17, 2014 at 09:38 AM (#4772731)
Like LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony, I have cut out the carbs. Wedding in 7 weeks.
   255. The District Attorney Posted: August 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM (#4772758)
Marc Stein
@ESPNSteinLine

ESPN sources say Shawn Marion has committed this weekend to sign with the Cavaliers
   256. Booey Posted: August 17, 2014 at 04:47 PM (#4772976)
Congrats on the wedding, NJ.
   257. NJ in DC (Now with temporary employment!) Posted: August 17, 2014 at 07:49 PM (#4773104)
Thanks, Booey.
   258. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: August 17, 2014 at 09:15 PM (#4773149)
Realized today that Bledsoe's last hope for an advantage against the Suns is the FIBA World Cup. As in, if Dragic gets hurt while repping Slovenia, then EB gets an edge in negotiations.
   259. The District Attorney Posted: August 17, 2014 at 11:42 PM (#4773234)
Super-interesting article about Michele Roberts.
“My past,” she told the [union], “is littered with the bones of men who were foolish enough to think I was someone they could sleep on.”
She had no background in labor relations and no experience working in sports. Her closest tie to basketball was a Washington Wizards season-ticket package she shared with friends.
Roberts begins the job next month, and she plans to essentially upend the union, which she dismissed as “a mom-and-pop shop” under her predecessor... Roberts’s first priority will be to create a management staff — potentially doubling the size of the current union staff — to improve oversight and bring more expertise to the organization.
Roberts made underdog cases her specialty during her time at the Public Defender Service in Washington, where she spent eight years after graduating from law school in 1980... After leaving the Public Defender Service, Roberts spent a little more than a decade in private firms that she ran with various combinations of fellow alumni of the office. While her reputation for handling violent criminal cases continued to grow, she was also recruited to handle rarefied boardroom-style proceedings... In 2001, she moved to her first large firm, Shea & Gardner, and stepped into the world of white-collar litigation... Roberts can be a private person, and many of her friends were unaware that she was interviewing for the N.B.A. position. She acknowledged that her decision to compete for the job had been an unlikely one.
   260. GregD Posted: August 18, 2014 at 12:00 AM (#4773243)
Congrats, NJ
   261. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: August 18, 2014 at 10:03 AM (#4773350)
Congrats indeed.

Anthony Randolph signs in Russia.
   262. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: August 18, 2014 at 10:22 AM (#4773372)
“My past,” she told the [union], “is littered with the bones of men who were foolish enough to think I was someone they could sleep on.”

Awesome.

Totally unfair, wild-ass speculation: Simmons is going to say something vaguely offensive about her by the time the next CBA negotiations are in full swing.
   263. smileyy Posted: August 18, 2014 at 01:02 PM (#4773577)
Totally unfair, wild-ass speculation: Simmons is going to say something vaguely offensive about her by the time the next CBA negotiations are in full swing.

I'd put that in the "unlikely but wouldn't be completely surprised if it happened" category. He may not have editors, but I think he does have lawyers. OTOH, if he does, it'll be "unintentional" (as unintentional as privilege-bias is), and he'll Peter Griffin Goes to Washington "Come on...Come on..." it through.

Tonight on 30 for 30: How Simmons Lost Grantland
   264. rr Posted: August 18, 2014 at 01:35 PM (#4773637)
I'd put that in the "unlikely but wouldn't be completely surprised if it happened" category.

--

I think he is self-aware enough to avoid it, but we'll see. However, I will say, and this may be both unfair to him and mildly offensive on my part, that IMO Simmons would be more likely to say something dumb if Roberts were 46 instead of 56 and looked sort of like, say, Halle Berry. Simmons made a comment in TBOB about Jaclyn Smith's still being "boinkable" at age 60 and how awesome and weird that was to him.
   265. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: August 19, 2014 at 09:26 AM (#4774332)
WWTDD? Play in China next season.
   266. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: August 19, 2014 at 11:48 AM (#4774494)
Congrats NJ. May your marriage run as smoothly as the Spurs offense, and share no similarities with the Knicks.
   267. tshipman Posted: August 19, 2014 at 12:16 PM (#4774536)
Congrats on the wedding, NJ!
I feel like I've followed your life's story through your handle changes (living in New York, DC, in law school, employment, unemployment, etc.) You should update to reflect your new status when it occurs.
   268. Moses Taylor World Re-Tour 2.0: Warszawa Posted: August 19, 2014 at 04:12 PM (#4774769)
Longtime NBA referee Dick Bavetta is hanging up his whistle after 39 years.

The league announced the 74-year-old Bavetta's retirement on Tuesday. He worked his first NBA game on Dec. 2, 1975, in Madison Square Garden in New York.

Bavetta, a New York native, will be best known for his streak of working 2,635 consecutive regular-season games. He never missed an assignment during his long career, which included 270 playoff games and 27 in the NBA Finals.

That's rather presumptuous of you, Mr. Writer. I might remember him most for the Barkley race, or for being a ref well past the age he should have hung them up, or for being considered a guy who the league used when they wanted a certain team to win. I definitely won't remember how many games in a row he worked.
   269. Jimmy P Posted: August 19, 2014 at 05:00 PM (#4774819)
I might remember him most for the Barkley race, or for being a ref well past the age he should have hung them up, or for being considered a guy who the league used when they wanted a certain team to win. I definitely won't remember how many games in a row he worked.

I always think of Tim Hardaway calling him Knick Bavetta before I think of anything else.
   270. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: August 19, 2014 at 06:33 PM (#4774887)
Speaking of romance... I love Embiid.
   271. rr Posted: August 20, 2014 at 12:40 AM (#4775099)
Stephon Marbury is getting his own play. Tickets for "I Was Marbury," which will chronicle his championship-winning season with the Beijing Ducks in 2011-2012, are already on sale, and Marbury will play himself. From Sports Illustrated:

The play's director, Zhou Wenhong, told Chinese media that the main theme of the play will be "never give up" and will incorporate choreographed basketball moves with dance. Marbury, however, describes the play's story in grander terms, saying in a press conference the play focuses on "Sino-US relations".

Marbury will play himself in the production, but will only appear in a few scenes -- the story apparently focuses on other Chinese characters who have been inspired by Marbury.

According to the production's official website, the show will have a different guest star each night, including Yao Ming and former NBA journeyman Wang Zhizhi.

link
   272. Booey Posted: August 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM (#4775257)
re:271 - Holy hell, that sounds awful.
   273. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM (#4775265)
re:271 - Holy hell, that sounds awful.

But all kinds of great, too. I wouldn't watch the whole thing, but outtakes could be fun!
   274. Spivey Posted: August 20, 2014 at 11:49 AM (#4775344)
Joel Embiid is awesome.
   275. smileyy Posted: August 20, 2014 at 04:01 PM (#4775614)
Who will sext Mutumbo?
   276. Booey Posted: August 20, 2014 at 08:08 PM (#4775858)
Who will sext Mutumbo?

I would totally sext Mutumbo if I had his cell number. Just to see how he'd react.
   277. outl13r Posted: August 20, 2014 at 11:18 PM (#4776029)
   278. RollingWave Posted: August 21, 2014 at 04:39 AM (#4776110)
Congrats NJ

Rumor is a bunch of teams trying to trade for Bledsoe, not surprising I guess, but what exactly does Phoenix want here?
   279. Fourth True Outcome Posted: August 21, 2014 at 01:07 PM (#4776391)
Rumor is a bunch of teams trying to trade for Bledsoe, not surprising I guess, but what exactly does Phoenix want here?

Someone a lot like Eric Bledsoe?
   280. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: August 21, 2014 at 01:35 PM (#4776412)
The Suns' operative phrase, according to the local media, is "trade up." So, it's Bledsoe for someone as good or better than Bledsoe, and not for expirings, cap space, prospects and picks.

As I've said before, I don't think anything happens until after the FIBA World Cup. Bledsoe's last hope of leverage is that Dragic gets hurt.
   281. JJ1986 Posted: August 21, 2014 at 05:07 PM (#4776594)
Sixers are apparently not getting Anthony Bennett, but Mbah a Moute, Shved and the 2015 Heat pick for Young.
   282. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: August 21, 2014 at 05:15 PM (#4776608)
Yuck
   283. andrewberg Posted: August 21, 2014 at 05:33 PM (#4776625)
I like that for the Wolfs. I think Young is more valuable than the ~20 pick in the next draft. LRMAM has negative value and Shved is probably not going to develop as a Wolf if he does at all. They are already at 15 guaranteed contracts, so if they have Love, LRMAM, and Shved going out with Wiggins, Bennett, and Young coming in, the roster remains totally full. I read a report that connected them to Cunningham earlier this week, so I would not be surprised if at least one more player is sent out. If it isn't in this trade, then maybe they have another taker for Barea elsewhere (with Mo Williams in, Barea really needs to go).
   284. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 22, 2014 at 12:35 AM (#4776856)
Mbah a Moute has been a mentor to his compatriot Embiid for years. Makes sense.

Maybe they can also bring back Sam Dalembert to advise fellow Haitian-American Nerlens Noel.
   285. rr Posted: August 22, 2014 at 01:24 AM (#4776861)
Scoop: Bottom line, you are on this [U.S. national] team and a lot of players aren't, but in your mind, who is the best basketball player alive right now?
Harden: Myself.
Scoop: That's what I was about to say, "including you." You made that sound like it was an easy answer.
Harden: It is. Myself.

link
   286. RollingWave Posted: August 22, 2014 at 05:08 AM (#4776874)
Well, I guess Harden's PR team is trying to corner the giant douche bag market for him.

He really needs to deliver this year (like, at the very very least going into game 6 in the second round.) or it's going to get even more ugly.

The Suns' operative phrase, according to the local media, is "trade up." So, it's Bledsoe for someone as good or better than Bledsoe, and not for expirings, cap space, prospects and picks.

As I've said before, I don't think anything happens until after the FIBA World Cup. Bledsoe's last hope of leverage is that Dragic gets hurt.

I can think of virtually zero player that fits that profile, except ummm.. Josh Smith or Greg Monroe? lol? I suppose Pekovic, but what's the Wolfs gonna do with Bledsoe?
   287. steagles Posted: August 22, 2014 at 08:07 AM (#4776894)
Sixers are apparently not getting Anthony Bennett, but Mbah a Moute, Shved and the 2015 Heat pick for Young.
Yuck

yeah, that sounds about right.

can't get too worked up about it, though. they weren't gonna get anything franchise changing for young, and at least shved and LRMAM are expiring contracts.
   288. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 22, 2014 at 08:29 AM (#4776897)
I can think of virtually zero player that fits that profile, except ummm.. Josh Smith or Greg Monroe? lol? I suppose Pekovic, but what's the Wolfs gonna do with Bledsoe?

He's an upgrade from Shved!
   289. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: August 22, 2014 at 10:07 AM (#4776946)
yeah, that sounds about right.

can't get too worked up about it, though. they weren't gonna get anything franchise changing for young, and at least shved and LRMAM are expiring contracts.

that's all true.

my annoyance is more that i think young is an above average player (non-spectacular, but solid) for a mid to late 1st rounder, a bad contract, and a bad contract.
   290. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: August 22, 2014 at 02:35 PM (#4777292)
The Suns have contacted at least one team and taken inquiries from others regarding the possibility of executing a Bledsoe sign-and-trade. That would include the Suns signing Bledsoe, a restricted free agent, to a contract on behalf of another team in exchange for player(s) and/or draft pick(s)...

Bledsoe has until Oct. 1 to accept the $3.73 million qualifying offer, which is still a raise over the $2.63 million he made last season but well below the Suns offer that could start him near $13 million in a frontloaded structure. If Bledsoe would land a maximum-level deal next summer, he would not match the earnings of the Suns offer until the 2017-18 season.
   291. Norcan Posted: August 22, 2014 at 02:55 PM (#4777312)
Harden's response is about par for the course. It seems like a lot of athletes, well the definitively elite ones anyway, say themselves when asked that question. They're supposed to have unquestioned belief in themselves, I guess. What he said is a lot better than what Brandon Jennings tweeted about Jordan vs Kobe anyway.
   292. The District Attorney Posted: August 22, 2014 at 03:09 PM (#4777316)
Maybe Harden doesn't realize that, in his commercial where Scottie Pippen claims to be the greatest Chicago Bull ever, Pippen was acting?
   293. The District Attorney Posted: August 22, 2014 at 04:27 PM (#4777382)
Windhorst:
With just hours to go before a planned megadeal the would send Kevin Love to Cleveland, the Phoenix Suns reached out to the Minnesota Timberwolves on Thursday to ask once more about the possibility of acquiring Love in a sign-and-trade for guard Eric Bledsoe, sources told ESPN.com.
Such. Comedy. Possibilities.
   294. andrewberg Posted: August 22, 2014 at 04:38 PM (#4777393)
I'd rather have Wiggins at equal cost, and he's much cheaper for now.
   295. madvillain Posted: August 22, 2014 at 04:46 PM (#4777404)
Maybe Harden doesn't realize that, in his commercial where Scottie Pippen claims to be the greatest Chicago Bull ever, Pippen was acting?

I like that commercial. I don't know how many takes it took Scottie to delivery that line but it's pretty funny. Well played by everyone involved.

Derrick Rose's knees will be on display tonight. Some wierd stuff going on with him and team USA. I don't like BJ Armstrong at all. I think he's trying to tell Rose to backout.
   296. rr Posted: August 23, 2014 at 02:50 AM (#4777616)
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
USA Basketball just announced World Cup roster at 1AM and removes Damian Lillard, Chandler Parsons and Kyle Korver along with Gordon Hayward
   297. Win Big Stein's Money Posted: August 23, 2014 at 10:10 AM (#4777664)
Parsons was on the USA team? That must've been awkward after his dustup with the "best basketball player alive".
   298. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:53 AM (#4777699)
steagles, what happened to your capital letters?!? Is this a cry for help?
   299. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: August 23, 2014 at 01:02 PM (#4777731)
Cavs-Sixers-Wolves trade finally in the books.

Our long national nightmare is over.
   300. smileyy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 01:42 PM (#4777739)
So we're all soiling ourselves at the prospect of at least one year of Kevin Love throwing outlet passes to LeBron James, right?
Page 3 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam S
for his generous support.