Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, August 01, 2014

OT: Monthly NBA Thread - August 2014

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, but with our own thread, we won’t detract from what this site is really about: the history of Algeria??  ####### seriously???  #############…

Ahhh… that’s better.

The District Attorney Posted: August 01, 2014 at 01:25 PM | 383 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: basketball, nba, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4
   301. stevegamer Posted: August 23, 2014 at 04:11 PM (#4777783)
Sometimes I think the 76ers braintrust is comprised of underpants gnomes:

Tank
????
Championship!
   302. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: August 23, 2014 at 08:03 PM (#4777862)
steagles, what happened to your capital letters?!? Is this a cry for help?
just felt like going with something simpler for now.
Sometimes I think the 76ers braintrust is comprised of underpants gnomes:

Tank
????
Championship!
5/6ths of the league has no hope of winning a championship within the next 5 years so it seems unfair to single out the sixers for having a hole in their plan. everyone has a hole in their plan. for the last decade (and probably a significant chunk of the next one), that hole has been named 'lebron james'.

that's just the way it is.
   303. stevegamer Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:43 PM (#4777950)
Nope. The hole gets plugged in various ways, but "Tim Duncan" seems to work just fine as well.
   304. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: August 24, 2014 at 12:06 AM (#4777979)
Yeah -- I mean, LeBron is good, but in the last decade, he's won 20% of the championships, and 5 different non-LeBron teams have won.
   305. baudib Posted: August 24, 2014 at 01:04 AM (#4778007)
I like the Sixers current game plan: stockpile upside/picks and plan on being competitive starting in 2016. Seems a far better cry than whatever it is they've done since Iverson.
   306. Bitter Mouse Posted: August 24, 2014 at 09:29 AM (#4778039)
I like the Sixers current game plan

Any plan is better than no plan. Just saying.
   307. smileyy Posted: August 24, 2014 at 01:35 PM (#4778111)
Well, if you're on the same conference as LeBron, the fact that he's been in the Finals 5 out of 10 seasons maybe be the more salient point.
   308. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: August 24, 2014 at 09:20 PM (#4778311)
Retiring: Joel Przybilla, the Vanilla Gorilla.
   309. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: August 25, 2014 at 03:41 PM (#4778796)
rumor!
HOU angling to get Sessions in a S&T w/ MIL - seems like a really good fit of player and team (with Sessions not too dissimilar to Lin).
   310. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: August 25, 2014 at 04:16 PM (#4778835)

Well, if you're on the same conference as LeBron, the fact that he's been in the Finals 5 out of 10 seasons maybe be the more salient point.

He's switched teams twice already and is on a one-year contract with his current team.
   311. madvillain Posted: August 25, 2014 at 04:31 PM (#4778863)
The US plays its final tuneup tomorrow against Slovenia on ESPN2 and WatchESPN.Com at 2EST. Kyrie Irving will get the start at PG but Coach K said "him and Rose might alternate the starts. They both will play significant minutes". According to Coach K, Rose is a full go and feeling good heading into the tourney.

Should be some good basketball over the next month and that will take us right into preseason. Nice.
   312. rr Posted: August 26, 2014 at 01:41 AM (#4779132)
Can't link it because it's Insider, but here is Pelton on Cleveland after running their roster as it is now through SCHOENE:

If Blatt can merely get the Cavaliers to league average on defense, their SCHOENE projection would be 62 wins -- best in the NBA. That's how good Cleveland figures to be on offense.
   313. MikeOberly Posted: August 26, 2014 at 02:25 AM (#4779140)
Pelton on a podcast talking Love and the Cavs here starting around minute 37.
   314. AROM Posted: August 26, 2014 at 09:46 AM (#4779181)
If Blatt can merely get the Cavaliers to league average on defense

I'll take the under. Getting league average defense from a team with Irving and Love would be an impressive feat. And hard as it is to believe, Lebron's defensive on/off stats were quite poor last season.
   315. Bitter Mouse Posted: August 26, 2014 at 09:54 AM (#4779187)
I will take the under as well, mostly because I think it will take some time for them to all get on the same page as a team. The favorite for a trophy though I think (well and San Antonio I guess, because well they are always in the hunt, every year, until Pop and co retire).
   316. AROM Posted: August 26, 2014 at 10:10 AM (#4779203)
My completely data-free East predictions:

1. Cavaliers
2. Bulls
3. Heat
4. Wizards
5. Raptors
6. Hawks
7. Bobcats
8. Nets
9. Hawks
10. Pistons
11. Celtics
12. Knicks
13. Magic
14. Bucks

76. Sixers
   317. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: August 26, 2014 at 10:45 AM (#4779227)
The US plays its final tuneup tomorrow against Slovenia on ESPN2 and WatchESPN.Com at 2EST. Kyrie Irving will get the start at PG but Coach K said "him and Rose might alternate the starts. They both will play significant minutes". According to Coach K, Rose is a full go and feeling good heading into the tourney.

Should be some good basketball over the next month and that will take us right into preseason. Nice.

I just can't make myself care that much about this tournament, or this team, when the players not going would beat the actual team. I've been watching to see Rose's rehab progress, and it hasn't been that impressive - which is honestly to be expected, regardless of Coach K's unending praise. I hope Rose plays enough minutes to work through his struggles/get back to speed, but not enough minutes to get hurt. That's the extent of my hope.

The actual team isn't that great on paper - plenty of talent, but some really odd fits. They're still the favorites and I'll be surprised if they lose, but I'm not excited for this.
   318. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: August 26, 2014 at 03:20 PM (#4779463)
12. Knicks
13. Magic
14. Bucks

76. Sixers
i'd just like to mention that people thought last year's sixers would set the NBA record for losses, and they wound up winning 20 games. this year's team might actually be worse, but at least they're good at being bad, unlike the bucks and knicks, who are just bad at being good.

this might be the most grantlandingest start to a grantland article i've yet seen.
The most pious of characters from Dana Carvey’s brilliant Saturday Night Live menagerie was Enid Strict, better known as the Church Lady. In any given “Church Chat” skit, the condescending and morally imperious Bible-thumper would skewer guests for their misdeeds, inevitably dropping a catchphrase that pinpointed the festering source of all sinfulness: “Could it be … Satan?”

When it comes to every maneuver made by the Philadelphia 76ers and general manager Sam Hinkie, the question is always, “Could it be … tanking?” And to the majority of NBA pundits, the answer is always, “Yes, of course.”

319. madvillain Posted: August 26, 2014 at 03:38 PM (#4779473)
The actual team isn't that great on paper - plenty of talent, but some really odd fits. They're still the favorites and I'll be surprised if they lose, but I'm not excited for this.

Yea I don't agree with that. I'd rather see Curry, Cousins, Manimal etc then some of the older guard. Team is plenty exciting IMO. Rose looks rusty. I'm glad he's playing games though it's the only way he's going to get back into the flow obviously scrimmages just aren't enough.
   320. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: August 26, 2014 at 03:47 PM (#4779479)
6. Hawks
7. Bobcats
8. Nets
9. Hawks

I assume one of these Hawks (probably the second) is the Pacers?
   321. Manny Coon Posted: August 26, 2014 at 04:15 PM (#4779497)
Looks like the Clippers just traded Jared Dudley for Carlos Delfino and Raduljica. I've seen conflicting reports about whether Delfino is capable of playing this season, anyone know more about his health situation?
   322. Manny Coon Posted: August 26, 2014 at 04:19 PM (#4779501)
I will take the under as well, mostly because I think it will take some time for them to all get on the same page as a team. The favorite for a trophy though I think (well and San Antonio I guess, because well they are always in the hunt, every year, until Pop and co retire).

Cavs pretty much become favorites because the East is so terrible and San Antonio/OKC/Clippers have to go through each other and through Golden State/Houston/Portland/Memphis/Dallas right? One of the hardest parts of winning the finals is just getting there.
   323. andrewberg Posted: August 26, 2014 at 04:26 PM (#4779506)
Clips had to attach a first rounder to dump Dudley's contract on Milwaukee. I know he didn't really fit in their rotation and Doc didn't love him, but I didn't realize his trade value was that negative. I think Dudley could still have a couple of seasons of being an average rotation player.
   324. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: August 26, 2014 at 04:28 PM (#4779507)
The Los Angeles Clippers have traded swingman Jared Dudley to the Milwaukee Bucks for swingman Carlos Delfino, center Miroslav Raduljica and a future first-round pick, a league source told Yahoo Sports.

Per Wojoyahoo, it looks like the Clips are getting the pick.

Delfino, 31, is owed $6.5 million for the next two seasons — with a team option for 2015-16 — but missed the 2013-14 season because of a right foot injury. He is expected to miss part of the 2014-15 season as he recovers from the injury, a league source told Yahoo Sports.
   325. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: August 26, 2014 at 04:41 PM (#4779522)
Yea I don't agree with that. I'd rather see Curry, Cousins, Manimal etc then some of the older guard. Team is plenty exciting IMO. Rose looks rusty. I'm glad he's playing games though it's the only way he's going to get back into the flow obviously scrimmages just aren't enough.

Considering most of the older guard isn't that old - LeBron, Durant, Paul, Griffin, Love, Leonard, George - and are all much more entertaining*, it feels like a disappointment to have this particular group. Harden is the focal point of the team - or might think he is and hijack it some**. So yeah, I love watching Davis and Curry, and am intrigued by Cousins and Drummond, and want to see Rose succeed. But I really have no opinions on Faried, don't really like Irving, am mostly neutral on Thompson (though maybe leaning towards dislike cause of the whole Love trade, though obviously that isn't his fault), #### the Plumlee pick, etc.

Good is a relative term, and because there's a roster than can be built that would sweep this team in a 4 game series, I'll just pass on this one.

*Howard and Melo are excluded from this list, as they're not as entertaining to me personally than the current guys. But take those 2, plus the other 7 I named and fill out the roster (hell, just take the guys that were cut from this current US team) and I'm immediately much, much more interested.
   326. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: August 26, 2014 at 04:42 PM (#4779524)
Per Wojoyahoo, it looks like the Clips are getting the pick.

Or not. Now updated:

The Los Angeles Clippers have traded swingman Jared Dudley and a 2017 protected first-round pick to the Milwaukee Bucks for swingman Carlos Delfino, center Miroslav Raduljica and a second-round pick, a league source told Yahoo Sports.
   327. Manny Coon Posted: August 26, 2014 at 05:13 PM (#4779547)
Clips had to attach a first rounder to dump Dudley's contract on Milwaukee.

Is a Clipper's first rounder in 2017 actually more valuable than Raduljica is now? Rookie center who put up 15PER/.112WS48, seems more valuable than the 27th pick in the draft 3 years from now, even if he was old rookie.

Not that I expect him to break out the same way, but Raduljica's rookie season wasn't too far removed from what Pekovic and Splitter did as old rookies coming over from Europe.

I've also seen it reported Bucks getting a Clipper first and Clippers getting a Bucks second, in which case the Bucks pick might be more valuable because it could possibly only be few picks later and non-guaranteed.

Otherwise it mostly like a challenge trade of two similarly talented guys who struggled with health problems last year, although Dudley seems more likely to be healthy this year.
   328. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: August 26, 2014 at 05:21 PM (#4779551)
Thabeet and cash to PHI (who will waive him)
   329. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: August 26, 2014 at 05:45 PM (#4779558)
Thabeet and cash to PHI (who will waive him)
OKC could have cut him for nothing, but by paying philly to do it for them, they got a trade exception worth approximately nothing.
   330. The District Attorney Posted: August 26, 2014 at 06:01 PM (#4779568)
Retiring: Joel Przybilla, the Vanilla Gorilla.
When graded on the 2000 NBA Draft curve, he is a Hall of Fame candidate.
   331. andrewberg Posted: August 26, 2014 at 06:08 PM (#4779572)
OKC could have cut him for nothing, but by paying philly to do it for them, they got a trade exception worth approximately nothing.

As the legendary Billy Preston once said, "Nothing from nothing leaves nothing." Apparently, Sam Hinkie didn't wanna be with him.
   332. Los Angeles El Hombre de Anaheim Posted: August 26, 2014 at 07:00 PM (#4779607)
Ran across Jonny Flynn's name randomly to day, so I had to look a few things up.
3210. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 22, 2009 at 06:07 PM (#3227919)
How many small, athletic speedsters who can't hit a jump shot stick in the NBA? In five years, probably wowing people with his athleticism alongside Acie Law... in Europe.
Five years later...
Syracuse, N.Y. — Jonny Flynn, the former Syracuse University basketball point guard, has signed with an Italian professional team, according to reports.
Sadly, Law just left his Greek team for China. So close.
   333. smileyy Posted: August 26, 2014 at 07:11 PM (#4779616)
So, in the end, that TWolves draft turned into a big Europe/America Flynn/Rubio challenge trade?
   334. RollingWave Posted: August 27, 2014 at 01:35 AM (#4779769)
I though Raduljica was pretty interesting last year, he's at least very big and plays like his size, something that can't be said for many bigs, certainly as a 10-15 min guy he should prove very useful.

335. stevegamer Posted: August 27, 2014 at 02:05 AM (#4779776)
Thabeet is a nice deal for 76ers ownership. They sold a second round pick & a trade exception for over a million dollars.

Doesn't do anything for the on-court product, but that's a tertiary concern. I do find it hard to believe he's too good to keep around, though.
   336. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: August 27, 2014 at 10:23 AM (#4779856)
They're not even losing the second round pick, necessarily.

I don't know how good Thabeet is or isn't. I feel like he ought to be a useful bench piece but what was up with him hitting one free throw all season for OKC - just small sample size blues? (he managed a PER ~3 in something like 200 minutes)
   337. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: August 27, 2014 at 11:04 AM (#4779880)
I've also seen it reported Bucks getting a Clipper first and Clippers getting a Bucks second, in which case the Bucks pick might be more valuable because it could possibly only be few picks later and non-guaranteed.

The 2nd rounder is actually the Clippers pick that they had previously traded away and are now getting back.
   338. Manny Coon Posted: August 27, 2014 at 11:32 AM (#4779905)
The 2nd rounder is actually the Clippers pick that they had previously traded away and are now getting back.

Yeah, saw that, so the first is definitely more valuable. It looks like the Clippers are going to use the stretch provision to release Delfino and perhaps Raduljica and try to sign Chris Douglas-Roberts and Epke Udoh. I think Raduljica would be worth keeping around though, although Udoh is much different player and the rest of the Clippers backup bigs already slow and questionable defenders, so Udoh fits better.

Clearing salary off the books for next year should also help them for when Jordan inevitably gets a giant new contract. I haven't checked the numbers, but it might allow them to pay Jordan as much as possible and still use the full MLE rather than smaller MLE.
   339. AROM Posted: August 27, 2014 at 01:04 PM (#4779999)
I assume one of these Hawks (probably the second) is the Pacers?

Yeah screwed that up. George injury and loss of Stephenson takes the offense from bad to unworkable. I think they miss the playoffs.
   340. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: August 27, 2014 at 01:09 PM (#4780006)
NBA trades confuse me.
   341. Manny Coon Posted: August 27, 2014 at 01:53 PM (#4780061)
NBA trades confuse me.

The Clippers are pretty much at the most confusing part of cap/tax, because of how the MLE and BAE interact with the tax apron. They are also using the stretch provision which is a fairly new addition to the CBA and makes things more confusing, they couldn't use it on Dudley for example, because his contract was signed several years ago under different rules.
   342. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: August 27, 2014 at 03:44 PM (#4780179)
   343. rr Posted: August 27, 2014 at 04:06 PM (#4780210)
Love takes the high road with Taylor.

Sure. If Wiggins blows up and things go poorly in CLE, maybe Love will be the one writing his "Coming Home" essay next summer
   344. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: August 27, 2014 at 04:19 PM (#4780220)
That would be hilarious.
   345. Jimmy P Posted: August 27, 2014 at 04:45 PM (#4780243)
Sure. If Wiggins blows up and things go poorly in CLE, maybe Love will be the one writing his "Coming Home" essay next summer

Love on the Blazers?!? That'd be awesome. Aldridge + Love + Lillard
   346. Big Ears Teddy shouldn't see TFTIO Posted: August 27, 2014 at 06:59 PM (#4780340)
There is literally nothing that Glen Taylor (a notably bad owner) can critically say of Kevin Love (a notably good NBA player) that won't read as a cringingly awkward whine. YOU DROVE HIM OUT. YOU EMPLOYED DAVID KAHN. YOU SIGNED JOE SMITH. JOE SMITH! You blew the team up for JOE F. SMITH! Just be quiet and sign the checks.
   347. RollingWave Posted: August 28, 2014 at 03:25 AM (#4780639)
There is literally nothing that Glen Taylor (a notably bad owner) can critically say of Kevin Love (a notably good NBA player) that won't read as a cringingly awkward whine. YOU DROVE HIM OUT. YOU EMPLOYED DAVID KAHN. YOU SIGNED JOE SMITH. JOE SMITH! You blew the team up for JOE F. SMITH! Just be quiet and sign the checks.

It seems extremely appropriate that he's getting a very Joe Smith like #1 draft pick in Anthony Bennett in this trade then ;)
   348. thok Posted: August 28, 2014 at 06:31 AM (#4780648)
It seems extremely appropriate that he's getting a very Joe Smith like #1 draft pick in Anthony Bennett in this trade then ;)

Anthony Bennett is shorter, heavier, and less athletic than Joe Smith was as a rookie. Joe Smith would have been a perfectly reasonable 10th or 15th pick in that draft: Anthony Bennett has yet to show even that.
   349. Bitter Mouse Posted: August 28, 2014 at 08:10 AM (#4780666)
Joe Smith would have been a perfectly reasonable 10th or 15th pick in that draft: Anthony Bennett has yet to show even that.

At the time I don't think most people felt Joe was a terrible pick. 20/20 hindsight tells us his value, but at the time it was not crazy or anything. Obviously KG and Sheed were much better players, but he is in the next tier (yes some of whom are better players), and KG and Sheed both had some red flags.
   350. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: August 28, 2014 at 09:19 AM (#4780679)
I did, but that was a really tough draft to peg - no one who struck me at the time as a viable #1 (obviously, KG was - I'd never seen him play).
   351. DCA Posted: August 28, 2014 at 01:38 PM (#4780903)
Warriors fan. Everyone thought we were getting Stackhouse. Who I guess is sort of the Joe Smith of guards.
   352. Bitter Mouse Posted: August 28, 2014 at 02:11 PM (#4780936)
For the record I would be thrilled if Bennett ends up as good as Joe Smith (so long as we can avoid the whole pesky under the table signing and subsequent penalty).
   353. andrewberg Posted: August 28, 2014 at 02:38 PM (#4780960)
For the record I would be thrilled if Bennett ends up as good as Joe Smith (so long as we can avoid the whole pesky under the table signing and subsequent penalty).

I'd hate to lose another 5 draft picks and never get to have Will Avery, Ndudi Ebi, and Paul Grant.
   354. smileyy Posted: August 28, 2014 at 02:45 PM (#4780968)
I had remembered Joe Smith as one of those college seniors who just happened to be better than everyone in college. Except that he came out as a sophomore, after averaging 20/10 for two years as a 18 and 19 year old. There's an awful lot to like there.

I'm guessing he developed some good old-man skills early? (Yep, good FT shooter) to add value to cover up what I'm assuming is just not-quite-enough athleticism to be a star in the NBA?

Saying Joe Smith is a 10-15 draft pick in the 2013 draft greatly overrates that draft and underrates Smith. Kelly Olynyk and Shabazz Muhammad would join Chris Truby in some satanic rituals to have Joe Smith's NBA career.
   355. madvillain Posted: August 28, 2014 at 02:59 PM (#4780978)
'm guessing he developed some good old-man skills early? (Yep, good FT shooter) to add value to cover up what I'm assuming is just not-quite-enough athleticism to be a star in the NBA?

He was OK in Chicago when they had him at the tail end of what you rightly stated was a pretty damn good career. Not good for #1 overall but pretty damn good in general. He wasn't the quickest or longest or bounciest but he had fairly solid athleticism and did a number of things well offensively. He got pushed around on defense a lot though and he was a total tweener. If he was coming up now he probably would have become a stretch 4 and that might have turned out better for him.
   356. Bitter Mouse Posted: August 28, 2014 at 03:47 PM (#4781013)
He got pushed around on defense a lot though and he was a total tweener. If he was coming up now he probably would have become a stretch 4 and that might have turned out better for him.

I watched a bunch of Joe Smith as a T-Wolf, and while it is complete unfair (because I compare him to HoF courtmate and semi-insane person KG), but Smith just didn't have the fire (or sociopathy) to be truly great. He worked on offense and defense and cared and everything, but it was clearly a job and not his life (again unlike KG who clearly CARED). That combined with good but not great physical skills led to an OK but still underwhelming career*. And as I said if Bennett turns into him, awesome!

* And I completely don't blame JS for the secret signing debacle that cost the wolves so much. that is all on the Owner and Front Office.
   357. Big Ears Teddy shouldn't see TFTIO Posted: August 28, 2014 at 06:09 PM (#4781153)
Joe Smith at the time was a nice player but not one you're going to wreck the next few years of your franchise for. It was such a staggeringly dumb maneuver that I can only assume that those sorts of deals were more common, and Taylor was just dumb enough to get caught.
   358. Big Ears Teddy shouldn't see TFTIO Posted: August 28, 2014 at 06:12 PM (#4781155)
I had seen KG play (I went to college in Chicago at the time), and in my Usenet mock draft I think I took McDyess? overall first.
   359. thok Posted: August 28, 2014 at 07:02 PM (#4781189)
Saying Joe Smith is a 10-15 draft pick in the 2013 draft greatly overrates that draft and underrates Smith.

This was slightly clumsy wordsmithing, as I meant that Joe Smith would have been a reasonable 10-15th pick in his draft (1995). And in retrospect, he's possibly even a reasonable 4th or 5th pick in that draft in hindsight; KG, Rasheed and Michael Finley clearly had better careers, and then you have a group of people that have underwhelming but decent careers.

On a 1995 draft side note, through 1 year, Corliss Williamson seems like a much better comparison to Anthony Bennett than Joe Smith.
   360. smileyy Posted: August 28, 2014 at 07:19 PM (#4781200)
[359] Sounds about right.

If he got pushed around on D, that's probably what's separating him from being David West or Chris Bosh?
   361. RollingWave Posted: August 28, 2014 at 10:23 PM (#4781288)
I know that they're games are different, the entire point of course was the #1 pick power forward whom people regretted picking pretty soon, granted, Joe Smith was not nearly as bad as a rookie and turned out to be a very good role player (who was miscasted as a star way too often.)

362. The District Attorney Posted: August 28, 2014 at 10:40 PM (#4781296)
I had seen KG play (I went to college in Chicago at the time), and in my Usenet mock draft I think I took McDyess? overall first.
Nobody was going to take a guy out of high school first overall at that point.

It's funny to look at the draft history of high schoolers. You can see how strong and universal the reluctance to draft them was -- I think not only because of concern that the players could "make the jump", but because the NBA genuinely didn't want to disrupt the long-standing college basketball apple cart. But then after KG one year, then Kobe the next, and then McGrady the next, you can almost hear the GMs saying "Oh. Oh, wow."

Talk about a market inefficiency, for those few years when teams were gun-shy...
   363. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 28, 2014 at 10:48 PM (#4781299)
And oh, what riches were in store for the team that finally broke that barrier and took Kwame Brown!
   364. RollingWave Posted: August 28, 2014 at 11:48 PM (#4781324)
And oh, what riches were in store for the team that finally broke that barrier and took Kwame Brown!
Yeah, lol that was the sad thing, when teams finally all started to take those guys most of them sucked BAD, and most of the actually good once were STILL taken very late (Monte Ellis / Amir Johnson for example.)
   365. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: August 29, 2014 at 10:54 AM (#4781616)
sixers' draft pick jordan mcrae signed to play with a team in australia this season. the sixers will retain his rights, but if he's not good enough to play on this team this year, i can't help but think it's unlikely that he ever develops into an above-average or even average contributor.

366. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: August 29, 2014 at 11:03 AM (#4781628)
Well, that was always unlikely.
   367. Manny Coon Posted: August 29, 2014 at 11:22 AM (#4781651)

There wasn't an NCAA guy taken until 5th that draft. In that draft the steals were international players. First 5 drafted NCAA players were Jason Richardson, Battier, Eddie Griffin, Rodney White, Joe Johnson, first 5 high school were Brown, Chandler, Curry, Diop, Ousmane Cisse and first 5 internationals were Pau Gasol, Radmanovic, Raul Lopez, Tony Parker, Okur.
   368. smileyy Posted: August 29, 2014 at 01:01 PM (#4781769)
Is Desagana Diop the peak of the bad evaluations?
   369. smileyy Posted: August 29, 2014 at 01:07 PM (#4781780)
Maybe I need to pull that one back. I had forgotten that he was a starter for a good team.

Those young bugs would could play D were weird draft picks. By the time they're good, they're not under contract with you anymore.
   370. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 29, 2014 at 01:11 PM (#4781783)
Is Desagana Diop the peak of the bad evaluations?

I think that would be Robert Swift.
   371. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: August 29, 2014 at 01:16 PM (#4781788)
IIRC, Pelton had a soft spot for Swift, pre-injury.
   372. andrewberg Posted: August 29, 2014 at 01:37 PM (#4781812)

It seemed like there were a lot of problems besides talent that sidetracked him. Hard to know whether the talent could have developed without the other problems he had.
   373. madvillain Posted: August 29, 2014 at 02:21 PM (#4781861)

Add Tyrus Thomas onto the pile of 6-9 ish bean bowl guys that never really panned out. Thomas' big problem is that he thinks he's a SF and he spent all his offseasons trying to develop a jumper and a bit of a handle when he should have just been focusing on improving his rebounding (getting bulkier) and inside finishing ability.

I though that Skiles mishandled Thomas as well but it's not like a change of scenery away from Chicago rejuvenated him so he was probably always a lost cause.
   374. smileyy Posted: August 29, 2014 at 05:08 PM (#4782000)
Which is funny, because if Thomas could develop a 3-point shot, he'd be a lot more valuable.
   375. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 29, 2014 at 05:51 PM (#4782014)

Add Tyrus Thomas onto the pile of 6-9 ish bean bowl guys that never really panned out.

You're thinking of Stromile Swift. Robert Swift was the giant white high schooler picked by the Sonics.
   376. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: August 30, 2014 at 12:28 PM (#4782365)
france and brazil are on NBATV right now. rudy gobert is looking pretty good, but i don't think brazil has figured out that he can't shoot free throws yet.
   377. kpelton Posted: August 30, 2014 at 01:16 PM (#4782394)

I was biased, but in 2005-06 at age 20 he started 20 games and averaged 11.0/9.6/2.0 per 36. 12.7 PER.

His top 10 SCHOENE comps at that point:
Serge Ibaka
Johan Petro (so many bad memories!)
Tyson Chandler
Jermaine O'Neal
Bismack Biyombo
Spencer Hawes
DeAndre Jordan
Andris Biedrins
Andray Blatche
Al Jefferson

The thing that really stood out about young Swift was he could defend surprisingly well outside the paint for a 7-footer, which would have been useful as the NBA moved to a pick-and-roll league. But he bulked up while rehabbing his torn ACL the next October and never regained the pre-injury athleticism. Then the off-court stuff kicked in, and Swift decided he didn't like playing basketball. I'll always wonder whether it was really that he didn't like rehabbing ...
   378. rr Posted: August 30, 2014 at 02:36 PM (#4782426)
Shannon Brown signed Wednesday with the Miami Heat, the ninth team the veteran point guard has been part of in his career.

Brown is actually more of a 2--not that people are worried about that.

The San Antonio Spurs and the Los Angeles Clippers are the latest elite teams to join the race to sign Ray Allen, ESPN.com has learned.

The Spurs, meanwhile, have only one open roster spot at the moment. As ESPN.com reported Friday, they have also registered interest in Mexico star center Gustavo Ayon while remaining hopeful of re-signing reserve center Aron Baynes, whom Australia is relying on heavily at the FIBA World Cup in Spain with Andrew Bogut absent.

379. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: August 31, 2014 at 06:07 PM (#4782913)
Jason terry to Houston for nonguaranteed deals,Rox get 2 2nds for their trouble

I get it (sac tax, HOU needs a reserve guard and has $ room) - still weird to see SAC dumping to HOU
   380. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: August 31, 2014 at 06:11 PM (#4782915)
Also Grizz stretch franklin
   381. rr Posted: August 31, 2014 at 07:58 PM (#4782938)
Another "Fun with James Harden's Defense" link, this time from today's World Cup game vs. Turkey.

link
   382. RollingWave Posted: August 31, 2014 at 09:35 PM (#4782970)
If USA lose in the world cup it'll probably be because whoever James Harden's guarding goes off for 40 right?

As for Terry, yikes, the deal make sense in terms of value on paper, but Houston kinda need to win basketball games too, and getting Jason Terry doesn't help much (to put it kindly) in that department.

I think the overarcing problem with Morey's summer so far (well, aside from Bosh killing them.) is that if they don't take a stride forward this year they're probably going to be in deep trouble with Dwight going into his last year in 2015-16, and he still takes the approach of value over actual products on the floor is worrisome, he's basically gambling that he'll be able to pull off that one big trade in an extremely limited window right now.

383. The District Attorney Posted: September 01, 2014 at 05:09 PM (#4783251)
Page 4 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
greenback calls it soccer
for his generous support.