Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

OT NBA Monthly Thread—January 2013

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, but with our own thread, we won’t detract from what this site is really about: the fiscal cliff and Civil War generals.

baudib Posted: January 02, 2013 at 01:16 AM | 1049 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: basketball, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 11 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›
   301. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: January 09, 2013 at 02:06 PM (#4343020)
as rumored, spurs buyout the eurocontract of aron baynes, sign him to a 3.5 yr deal. good rebounder having a really nice year, not super athletic, 6-11 260 aussie who went to wash st.
   302. smileyy Posted: January 09, 2013 at 02:13 PM (#4343025)
What [Nellie] really needed was a guy like Ben Wallace, hyper athletic and fast who could run, block shots, rebound, and play great D, but would be happy with 7 shots a game.

I wonder if he ever explored prying Rodman free from the Pistons after 1991.

Who wouldn't want to see Nellie coaching Rodman?
   303. Fourth True Outcome Posted: January 09, 2013 at 02:57 PM (#4343088)
Woj reporting on twitter that the Maloofs are on the verge of selling the Kings for $500 million to a Hansen-Ballmer-led Seattle group, which would play in Key Arena for two years before moving into a new arena.
   304. Jon T. Posted: January 09, 2013 at 03:08 PM (#4343145)
according to RAPN David Robinsonis pretty much the greatest player who ever lived
   305. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: January 09, 2013 at 03:23 PM (#4343204)
Others have jumped on the SAC->SEA story - sad, completely unsurprising development. Happy for Seattle fans, at least.
   306. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: January 09, 2013 at 03:32 PM (#4343235)
Yeah, it's always a little sad to see a team move. This is a lot like Baltimore getting the Browns, but not as big of a deal.
   307. andrewberg Posted: January 09, 2013 at 03:54 PM (#4343299)
I am sorry for Sacto, but I will still cheer for the neoSonics
   308. Spivey Posted: January 09, 2013 at 03:55 PM (#4343301)
according to RAPN David Robinsonis pretty much the greatest player who ever lived

He absolutely should be in the discussion much more than he usually is.
   309. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: January 09, 2013 at 04:00 PM (#4343315)
I thought 304 was a sarcastic response to 301 until 308 showed up. I just figured RAPN was a Spurs blog I had never heard of and David Robinsonis was a play on David Robinson+Sabonis as a measuring stick for the new Spurs signee.
   310. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: January 09, 2013 at 04:14 PM (#4343351)
think jon meant rapm - regularized adjusted plus minus. tracked at stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com - a smarter, better version of +/- that sometimes yields crazy results.
if so, i thought it was really high on jordan.
   311. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: January 09, 2013 at 04:18 PM (#4343362)
I would think that a hypothetical David Robinsonis would undoubtedly have been the greatest player in NBA history. So would a Magic Russell. Or LeBron Chamberlain. Or Joakim Price (plus - imagine what his painting would look like!).
   312. smileyy Posted: January 09, 2013 at 04:34 PM (#4343386)
I am curious about NBA franchises in states with legal marijuana possession and consumption. (I realize this already applies to the Nuggets) OTOH, maybe DeMarcus Cousins will...relax...a little.

LeBron Chamberlain

Would still only win one championship.

Joakim Price

Is this Mark Price? Or am I blanking on a great?

Who has the bigger internal conflict? Magic Russell trying to be half-Laker and half-Celtic at the same time, or Ardavidas Robinsabonis serving in the Navy while half-Soviet?
   313. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: January 09, 2013 at 04:38 PM (#4343396)
That Drazen Bias documentary was so heartbreaking.
   314. Jon T. Posted: January 09, 2013 at 05:01 PM (#4343436)
yes, RAPM. I think Robinson was the league leader in 8 of 9 seasons, 90-96 and 1998.

It was really down on Hakeem Olajuwon's offense
   315. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: January 09, 2013 at 05:17 PM (#4343470)
Bill Simmons ?@BillSimmons
Yahoo's report on Sea-Sac sale: http://tinyurl.com/arbhm9j . Add from me: Relocation fee TBD. Chair of NBA's Relocation Committee? CLAY BENNETT.

I actually did not know this (or did, and forgot). Amazing.

Is this Mark Price? Or am I blanking on a great?

Yeah. I was going for someone that would make a fun combo.
   316. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: January 09, 2013 at 05:19 PM (#4343474)
Ken Berger ?@KBergCBS
Rick Adelman will miss his second straight game due to personal reasons tonight against Oklahoma City, the Timberwolves announce.

Nothing's going their way this year. Geez.
   317. Los Angeles El Hombre de Anaheim Posted: January 09, 2013 at 05:23 PM (#4343479)
Chair of NBA's Relocation Committee? CLAY BENNETT.
That's a bit cruel, isn't it?
   318. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: January 09, 2013 at 05:26 PM (#4343484)

Then again, he's certainly qualified. I do think there may be a conflict of interest here though.
   319. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: January 09, 2013 at 05:46 PM (#4343526)

Then again, he's certainly qualified. I do think there may be a conflict of interest here though.
i don't see that at all. it's actually essentially the same situation. the team is for sale because the arena is #### and the city/state won't pay for a new one (which is a fairly legitimate stance, imo), while the purchaser is buying the team with the specific intention of moving them.

i mean, it does kind of reek of the fox being in charge of the hen house, but that's what sports business is these days.
   320. Famous Original Joe C Posted: January 09, 2013 at 06:08 PM (#4343551)
According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Derrick Rose is dunking.
   321. andrewberg Posted: January 09, 2013 at 06:57 PM (#4343588)
i don't see that at all. it's actually essentially the same situation. the team is for sale because the arena is #### and the city/state won't pay for a new one (which is a fairly legitimate stance, imo), while the purchaser is buying the team with the specific intention of moving them.

The Sonics would not have been sold to Bennet if he expressed a specific intent to move them. That was the basis of the the court case against him (ie- were his efforts to work with the city fraudulent).

I suppose I can stop being bitter now. On the other hand, I have to start rooting for Cousins and Evans instead of just hoping they do weird stuff.
   322. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: January 09, 2013 at 07:24 PM (#4343600)
According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Derrick Rose is dunking.
in related news, according to the philadelphia daily news, andrew bynum has been cleared to resume participation in the 16th street "Y"s wii sports tournament.

he is visibly excited.
   323. Los Angeles El Hombre de Anaheim Posted: January 09, 2013 at 07:25 PM (#4343601)
The Sonics would not have been sold to Bennet if he expressed a specific intent to move them. That was the basis of the the court case against him (ie- were his efforts to work with the city fraudulent).

I suppose I can stop being bitter now
If it were my team that'd gotten moved, I would never, ever stop hating the owner to stole them away. Never. I'd be okay if Bennet never got anything other than bile from the people of Seattle for the rest of his life.
   324. andrewberg Posted: January 09, 2013 at 07:29 PM (#4343604)
I understand the hatred of Bennet, and I do think he is a dishonest person, but the Sonics weren't MY team since I grew up with Minnesota and moved to Seattle while they were in the process of packing up. I am going to treat the Sonics like I do the Mariners- they are #2 behind the Twins and Timberwolves.
   325. Jimmy P Posted: January 09, 2013 at 07:35 PM (#4343607)
Love is out 8-10 weeks. Ouch
   326. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: January 09, 2013 at 07:48 PM (#4343617)
in related news, according to the philadelphia daily news, andrew bynum has been cleared to resume participation in the 16th street "Y"s wii sports tournament.

How is his hair celebrating?

---

Kirk Hinrich is out tonight with his 6th different injury this season. Unfortunately, none of the the injuries have succeed enough yet to give him an extended break.
   327. Los Angeles El Hombre de Anaheim Posted: January 09, 2013 at 07:53 PM (#4343620)
Love is out 8-10 weeks. Ouch
I guess their big step forward is next year, then. Damn.

On the other hand, could this be a possible good thing? The Wolves have Pek and Love and some guards, but they could use a wing scorer. If they fade away a bit, that gives them a nice lotto pick in their arsenal for next year, right?

I'm just trying to look at the bright side here.
   328. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: January 09, 2013 at 08:19 PM (#4343639)
It was abundantly clear that the Sonics was moving to OKC the day they were sold.
   329. andrewberg Posted: January 09, 2013 at 10:07 PM (#4343718)
The first Seattle-OKC playoff series is going to have great crowds.
   330. Squash Posted: January 09, 2013 at 10:31 PM (#4343736)
I'd be okay if Bennet never got anything other than bile from the people of Seattle for the rest of his life.

I'd say Bennett deserves every bit of vitriol Seattle fans want to throw at him, with Stern close behind. That being said, if Stern is going to allow Seattle to "steal" the Kings from Sacramento, a podunk city/town that nonetheless supported the hell out of their mostly horrible team for 20 years, just to make up for the fact that he allowed one of his best friends to steal the Sonics from Seattle in the first place then he's doubly a dick.
   331. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: January 09, 2013 at 11:02 PM (#4343762)
I would like to see Muggsy Barkley play.
   332. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: January 09, 2013 at 11:04 PM (#4343766)
Rochester Royals -> Cincinnati Royals --> Kansas City Kings (--> KC/Omaha Kings) --> Sacramento Kings --> Seattle Whatevers.

That's one movin' around franchise
   333. Into the Void Posted: January 09, 2013 at 11:07 PM (#4343770)
Does Bennett technically still own the rights to the "Supersonics" name?
   334. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: January 09, 2013 at 11:11 PM (#4343772)
he does but the owners of a new seattle team get them for free, iirc
   335. chris p Posted: January 09, 2013 at 11:29 PM (#4343782)
Woj reporting on twitter that the Maloofs are on the verge of selling the Kings for $500 million to a Hansen-Ballmer-led Seattle group, which would play in Key Arena for two years before moving into a new arena.

oh ballmer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE
   336. RollingWave Posted: January 09, 2013 at 11:35 PM (#4343785)
Hornets beat the Rockets in a weird game, the Rockets completely imploded in the 4th, though it seems that the ref were particularly awful this game.

337. OCF Posted: January 09, 2013 at 11:36 PM (#4343787)
Since Seattle is in King County, maybe they keep that name? (The question of which King that is is a story in itself.)
   338. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM (#4343969)
On the other hand, could this be a possible good thing? The Wolves have Pek and Love and some guards, but they could use a wing scorer. If they fade away a bit, that gives them a nice lotto pick in their arsenal for next year, right?

Posssible upsides to this trainwreck of a wolves season:
* Better draft pick
* The rest of the team develops as much as possible and continues growing and developing (since they are a young team), especially...
* D Williams has even more chance to develop into something that was worth the second pick overall. Becoming valuable, at least in trade, is the upside (downside is at least they know he never will and move on).
* Expectations in MN are tempered to a more realistic level. At the start of the season it was a bit over the top and this should reset things, so that maybe we can be pleasantly surprised going forward.

But overall it is a disappointing year, because injuries suck and the most important thing this team needed is for Love and Rubio to click, to grow together and to have all the other pieces grow and learn around them. I think they may have all the parts to build a good team, but we will never know if they can't be healthy and play together.
   339. andrewberg Posted: January 10, 2013 at 12:34 PM (#4344137)
D Williams has even more chance to develop

Williams is playing pretty well right now. He is putting up the same per game numbers (so people think he hasn't progressed) but he is playing 4 fewer MPG. His PER is up from 12.9 to 16.1 and his WS/48 has doubled from his rookie year by virtue of better rebounding and shooting that went from very bad to OK. He is also stretching the floor better on offense (39% 3's, good on longer twos). Since Love got hurt, he is averaging 13-5 with 50% shooting in 20 MPG. He still has defensive limitations as a SF, has trouble finishing at the rim, and is overly passive sometimes in offense, seemingly because he doesn't always know what to do. Still, he looks a lot better to me so far this year. A big part of it is the ability to cross-match the forward sports with Cunningham (and AK at times). My favorite Williams moment of the year was last night when he beat Serge Ibaka on a jump ball.

Also, Love and Rubio have been on the court together for 28 minutes this year.
   340. PJ Martinez Posted: January 11, 2013 at 01:16 AM (#4344748)
Stealing this idea from the Basketball Jones podcast:

Dirk for Dwight: who says no?
   341. rr Posted: January 11, 2013 at 02:23 AM (#4344778)
I have Minnesota on League Pass this year, and they are decent even without Rubio and Love. But I think at this point, Utah has the inside track on the 8th spot. Minnesota may be very good next year, though.

As to the Dirk/Dwight thing, the Lakers would be:

1. Adding another guy in his 30s with health and defensive issues, who is currently sporting a 14.9 PER.
2. Handing Howard, their only good defender, to Mark Cuban, whom 99% of Lakers fans loathe.

I assume that Cuban would pull the trigger on it, but he may also figure that if he waits, Howard is bailing on the Lakers anyway. I also assume that Dirk has some kind of NTC, although he might agree to it since Nash is here. If it actually got to the talking stages, the Lakers would probably want either Mayo or Collison coming along with Nowitzki, in exchange for Meeks or Blake/Duhon. D'Antoni would also want to ask about his old SSOL stalwart Shawn Marion.
   342. Into the Void Posted: January 11, 2013 at 03:00 AM (#4344788)
I would actually say the opposite and see Dallas saying no. Besides the personal ties Dirk has to the franchise/Cuban, why would Cuban trade for (a not healthy) Howard without a guarantee of him staying, especially in a season that's going nowhere?
   343. rr Posted: January 11, 2013 at 03:11 AM (#4344793)
why would Cuban trade for (a not healthy) Howard without a guarantee of him staying, especially in a season that's going nowhere?

Because it puts him in the driver's seat for getting Howard in the off-season, which is what he wants to do anyway. As it stands now, he can't offer Howard as much money as the Lakers can. Also, Dirk has been outspoken the last week or so about his unhappiness with the team in Dallas and Howard, banged up though he is, is seven years younger than Nowitzki is. They are "going nowhere" with the team they have now, as Nowitzki himself has said in the media, and Nowitzki's deal ends next year, so they may be thinking about dealing him in any case.

Like I said, Cuban might not do it, and I don't think it will happen, but I think Cuban and Nelson would be more likely to trigger on it than Buss and Kupchak would. Howard's rep is in tatters and his career is in a bad patch, and his back may prevent him from ever being what he was. But he is still a guy that you try to get if you have a chance. Put it this way: he is a lot more likely than Nowitzki is to be the best player on a Finals team over the next four years.
   344. PJ Martinez Posted: January 11, 2013 at 09:31 AM (#4344843)
Yeah, I'm mostly with robin (and was thinking partly of Dirk's recent comments). Though it's also possible both teams would say no. Cuban may still be committed to trying to pair Howard and Dirk, rather than swap one for the other.
   345. PJ Martinez Posted: January 11, 2013 at 09:34 AM (#4344848)
Also, is it just me or has there been strikingly little discussion of the Heat, here and elsewhere? I guess it makes sense, given that their preeminence in the East is mostly undisputed, there's been little or no drama around the team, they have nothing to prove, and they're playing roughly to expectations.

Anyway, they're only 5-5 over their last 10 games, FWIW.
   346. Famous Original Joe C Posted: January 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM (#4344896)
Also, is it just me or has there been strikingly little discussion of the Heat, here and elsewhere? I guess it makes sense, given that their preeminence in the East is mostly undisputed, there's been little or no drama around the team, they have nothing to prove, and they're playing roughly to expectations.

Anyway, they're only 5-5 over their last 10 games, FWIW.

You summed it up in your first paragraph. Unless they have injuries or some unforeseen breakdown of some sort, they'll almost certainly win the East. A 5-5 stretch in what are basically the doldrums of the season (Christmas through February) just says to me they're conserving energy or not as focused as they could be, while often getting other team's best efforts.
   347. rr Posted: January 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM (#4344922)
PJ might be right about Cuban not doing it, but the 2011 team is far in the rearview in Dallas--Chandler, Kidd, Terry, Barea--all gone. And obviously, while there would be no guarantee, Cuban is smart; he wouldn't trigger unless he was pretty damn sure Howard was staying.

From the Lakers' POV, it is a loser for basketball reasons. Even with the all the problems, the Lakers ORTG is 6th in the NBA and about the same as it was in 2010. It is the D, which is 22nd and dropping, that is killing them.

And Joe and PJ are right about Miami. My predictions usually suck, but I did say that I thought Miami would have regular-season stretches in which they were going at about 75% and would lose a fair number of games for a team with their core. They do have a few weaknesses, but I think that is mostly what is happening.

348. andrewberg Posted: January 11, 2013 at 01:40 PM (#4345034)
On that Laker trade, I think guys like us in a strato-type league would be more likely to do that trade because I think you can make a case for it on paper (even though robin is right, it would gut an already questionable defense). The real hangups would be the emotional ones- Dirk's ties to the city, his friendship with Cuban, and even LA.s long pursuit of Dwight vs. the short time of the on-court experiment. Another thought is that Vince might be useful in the short term for LA too. They're already "old as ####\" and he would help with the court spacing and has played at the three in some lineups.

I watched Dallas play the Kings last night. We talk about Dallas now and then, but here are some things I noticed about the Kings:

1. They are notably bad at playing active team defense. They work hard running around teams and generally play sound defense on the ball, but they are extremely late on rotations and especially cutting off drivers or guys rolling to the basket. It resulted in tons of fouls as they got to a guy just as he got to the rim with the ball.

2. Tyreke looked a lot better than the last few times I have seen him play. That explosion that allowed him to get to the basket whenever he wanted was there for most of the game. He is coming off of a knee injury so he is not at 100%, and I do not think he will ever be a #1 option if he does not improve his midrange or three point shooting (especially against opponents who are better at protecting the paint). Still, he scored about 20 points very efficiently and was one of the few guys who seemed to be at least marginally aware that his movement could help get his teammates open.

3. Cousins is a great offensive option but like many young bigs, needs to learn to pass out of the double team. There was one play where Collison switched on him and Dirk came to help so he just went through both of them, but there were at least 2 other instances where he was doubled and turned the ball over. I think he will learn. Some of the problem is that he has so many black holes around him. I really cannot see what Salmons and Garcia are giving them. Thomas is an ok sparkplug (no coincidence that he grew up in the same general area as Jason Terry, Jamal Crawford, and Nate Robinson) who is miscast as a starting PG. Really, the team's far and away top need is a distributing PG (also need more shooting- which could be partially addressed by reallocating some minutes- and a little more of a defensive presence in the middle unless Hayes/ Thompson plays better). If they drafted Lillard instead of Robinson, they would be better than Portland right now.

4. I think they are having trouble selling ads on their TV network because almost every commercial break would have the same 2-3 advertisers and many of them would double up on ads during the same break. They must have had 30 Pizza Guys commercials with Thomas in them during the game. The announcer even said "now there is a pizza guy who really delivers!" after one of his baskets.

5. As far as game flow, the Kings were up most of the game, but ran into a stretch in the fourth quarter where they went from up about 10 to down 4 through a lot of dead-end possessions and bad turnovers (again, lack of a real PG). Smart responded by playing a strange lineup of Thomas, Fredette, Thornton, Evans, and Cousins. Carlisle countered with Collison, Beaubois, Mayo, Carter, and DIrk. Dirk is still very out of sync. The Kings pushed the game into OT with that lineup when Thomas banked in a three to tie it in the last 10 seconds. They ultimately lost when Cousins fouled out when he and Carter got tangled on a loose ball and he kind of gave him a forearm shiver. It was a very weird play becaues it simultaneously looked like there was no way you could throw that type of forearm at a guy unintentiionally, but it also looked like he did not totally mean to do it. As soon as he made contact, he was trying to help Vince so he didn't fall down. The refs reviewed it and made it a flagrant 2, which was defensible. Sacto struggled to score from there and lost.
   349. Famous Original Joe C Posted: January 11, 2013 at 02:31 PM (#4345083)
Bunch of good games tonight - BOS-HOU, NYK-CHI, SA-MEM, plus POR-GSW and OKC-LAL should be entertaining as well.
   350. kpelton Posted: January 11, 2013 at 02:41 PM (#4345092)
It was a very weird play becaues it simultaneously looked like there was no way you could throw that type of forearm at a guy unintentiionally, but it also looked like he did not totally mean to do it. As soon as he made contact, he was trying to help Vince so he didn't fall down.

I interpreted that as Cousins thinking, in the immortal words of Ron Burgandy, "I immediately regret this decision."
   351. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: January 11, 2013 at 02:46 PM (#4345097)
Suns fan state of grieving: This morning, for the first time, I started looking at mock drafts.
   352. Jimmy P Posted: January 11, 2013 at 03:22 PM (#4345135)
I interpreted that as Cousins thinking, in the immortal words of Ron Burgandy, "I immediately regret this decision."

I thought he was doing the ol' "If he doesn't fall down, it isn't a foul" thing.
   353. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: January 11, 2013 at 04:43 PM (#4345200)
from another thread - loads of college basketball stat scans have been added to bb-ref.
prompted by the lofton thread, i looked at a pair of senior power forwards: dave winfield, who walked on to the minnesota club (10.5 pts, 6.1 reb, as a lunch pail guy) and tony clark (11.6 pts, 4.6 reb - kind of a disappointing stretch four) for san diego st.
   354. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: January 11, 2013 at 05:10 PM (#4345226)
Clark was a Lute Olsen recruit at Arizona, but left after playing garbage time in 5 games his freshman year.
   355. Tripon Posted: January 11, 2013 at 05:26 PM (#4345243)

I'd say Bennett deserves every bit of vitriol Seattle fans want to throw at him, with Stern close behind. That being said, if Stern is going to allow Seattle to "steal" the Kings from Sacramento, a podunk city/town that nonetheless supported the hell out of their mostly horrible team for 20 years, just to make up for the fact that he allowed one of his best friends to steal the Sonics from Seattle in the first place then he's doubly a dick.

Stern is a dick, but part of his job is to make sure that all members of his league are in the best situation for them possible. Moving from Sacramento to Seattle is a good move regardless of the reason.

And on that note, moving from Seattle to OK city is still a bad decision no matter the reason.

But really though, if there's a city that the Kings should have moved to, it probably should have been San Francisco. The Warriors belong to Oakland, not San Francisco. Everyone in SF is just bandwagoning. :)
   356. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: January 11, 2013 at 06:14 PM (#4345285)
Unfortunately Giants management disagrees with you on that as they now own the city according to them.
   357. Mark S. is bored Posted: January 11, 2013 at 06:18 PM (#4345289)
Suns fan state of grieving: This morning, for the first time, I started looking at mock drafts.
I started earlier in the week. Have you checked out ESPN's Hollinger College PER?
   358. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: January 11, 2013 at 07:27 PM (#4345344)
I started earlier in the week. Have you checked out ESPN's Hollinger College PER?
PER for college players is also available at http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb
   359. PJ Martinez Posted: January 11, 2013 at 09:29 PM (#4345388)
Following up on my case for Sullinger upthread: He has 14 points, 8 rebounds (4 offensive) and an assist in 16 first-half minutes so far against Houston. FWIW (maybe not much), he leads the Celtics in unadjusted +/- on the season (Garnett is second).
   360. Publius Publicola Posted: January 11, 2013 at 09:29 PM (#4345389)
Sullinger is having a monster first half against Houston.
   361. Conor Posted: January 11, 2013 at 09:57 PM (#4345397)
So the bulls own the Knicls
   362. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: January 11, 2013 at 10:21 PM (#4345403)
I want the Knicks in the playoffs.
   363. Conor Posted: January 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM (#4345404)
Ha, and I was just in my head trying to figure out the likelihood of the Knicks and Bulls matching up. I know the Bulls are a good team, but they have ##### slapped the Knicks two games in a row at the Garden. Right now the Bulls are the 5 seed; but t hey could beat Indy out for the division and this could be a second round possibility.

They will look better with Felton back and healthy, but then again, I'm pretty sure the Bulls have a PG coming back as well...
   364. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: January 11, 2013 at 11:07 PM (#4345413)
Somebody tell Tirico he's got the wrong notes. Twice now he's said the Knicks beat the Bulls this year.
   365. PJ Martinez Posted: January 12, 2013 at 01:21 AM (#4345448)
Durant's got 40 with 4 minutes to go in the third. He looks determined to crush the Lakers, to see them driven before him, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
   366. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: January 12, 2013 at 01:21 AM (#4345449)
This Lakers D is atrocious.
   367. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: January 12, 2013 at 01:24 AM (#4345451)
Durant's got 40 with 4 minutes to go in the third. He looks determined to crush the Lakers, to see them driven before him, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
And the Suns' prospects of a second lottery pick rise...
   368. baudib Posted: January 12, 2013 at 01:36 AM (#4345455)
Kevin Durant is sick.
   369. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: January 12, 2013 at 08:48 PM (#4345803)
the sixers have lost their last 5, and they are 5-16 since december 1.

considering that they are 5 games back of the 8 seed in the loss column, and also that they lose their first round pick if they make the playoffs, i'd say it's getting to be around tanking time.
   370. Los Angeles El Hombre de Anaheim Posted: January 12, 2013 at 10:09 PM (#4345881)
Jack leaves Laker game early. Can't handle the truth: Lakers suck right now.

/sadface
   371. rr Posted: January 12, 2013 at 10:21 PM (#4345886)
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/53459/playoffs-might-be-a-long-shot-for-the-lakers

The Lakers have had a pace of 100 or more possessions in each of their past four games -– all losses, of course. The Lakers now have a 7-16 record this season in games with a pace of at least 96 possessions, but they’re 8-5 when the pace is 95 or slower.
   372. JC in DC Posted: January 12, 2013 at 11:18 PM (#4345922)
Some really, really odd results in tonight's games. Bulls get crushed at home, Houston loses to Philly, Washington beats Atlanta, Orlando beats the Clippers.
   373. Booey Posted: January 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM (#4345932)
To be fair, the Lakers have had a really tough schedule during their losing streak.
   374. The District Attorney Posted: January 13, 2013 at 12:09 AM (#4345966)
BTW:
Fernando Tatís @FernandoTatis17
hey garnett your wife smell worse then a mcrib
   375. rr Posted: January 13, 2013 at 03:11 AM (#4346021)
"I told Dirk we're not going to trade him. He was happy. I think," Cuban said, laughing. "I wanted to make it clear to him. I said, 'We're in this through thick and thin,' and so there's no way I would trade him, no matter what."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/8839464/mark-cuban-says-dallas-mavericks-trade-dirk-nowitzki
   376. Squash Posted: January 13, 2013 at 05:45 AM (#4346040)
The Warriors belong to Oakland, not San Francisco. Everyone in SF is just bandwagoning. :)

This is very much true. The Warriors are entirely an East Bay team. I was very surprised to hear they were moving to SF as they have zero presence there and essentially literally zero fanbase. I would guess a large portion of SF isn't even aware the Warriors exist. Of course if the Kings moved there they would immediately sign a huge TV deal and become the toast of the town provided they won a few games.

Along the lines of the SF move, there's this article (probably posted before). For those not familiar with the city, Pier 32 is much closer to downtown than the Pier 50 site the Giants are pushing. Everyone traveling there would have to drive because it's not close to BART or Muni (Pier 32 is), which makes the Giants's proclaimed primary concern (traffic) doubly ridiculous, and being pushed out of the downtown area would also reduce the team to secondary status (clearly this is not an outcome that would disappoint the Giants). Geographically it's also in a much worse area in terms of restaurants and bars and the like and doesn't have the proximity to downtown/transportation or the layout for those kinds are places to spring up around the stadium as they did with Pac Bell. Basically the Giants, despite being gifted huge sums of land and allowed to do pretty much whatever they want with it, don't feel anyone else should be allowed the same bounty.
   377. The Buddy Biancalana Hit Counter Posted: January 13, 2013 at 09:47 AM (#4346060)
Larry Drew after the Hawks scored 83 points and lost to the Wizards:
"That is just something that you can’t do on the road. I told the guys if we launch 24 3’s we won’t win another road game."

Two of those 24 3PTA were Ivan Johnson attempts at the end of the first and third quarters. So, 22 real attempts from a team that averages over 23 3PTA per game and ranks 6th in the league in 3PTFG%.

In other jump shot news, the Hawks took 20 long, two-point jumpers in the first half.

My point being, maybe we also need a box score column for the least efficient shot in basketball to help coaches avoid saying dumb things right after games.
   378. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: January 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM (#4346066)
(makes note to send buddy some kind of gift basket)
   379. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: January 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM (#4346100)
   380. PJ Martinez Posted: January 13, 2013 at 12:09 PM (#4346111)
   381. Into the Void Posted: January 13, 2013 at 01:31 PM (#4346157)
I was very surprised to hear they were moving to SF as they have zero presence there and essentially literally zero fanbase. I would guess a large portion of SF isn't even aware the Warriors exist.

I don't understand how you came to this conclusion. Sure, they are definitely a distant third after the Giants and Niners, but when I go to any number of local dives the Warriors are absolutely always on the TV, and there are always people watching (and these are definitely not sports bars). The game on Friday against Portland seemingly half of the bar was agonizing over the second half collapse. I see the same amount of support in Oakland...it's not like you head over to Oakland and suddenly everyone you see is in Warriors gear talking about the Run TMC days.
   382. Publius Publicola Posted: January 13, 2013 at 01:49 PM (#4346168)
Are Nicholson and Sandler buddies? It looked like Jack invited him to the game.
   383. Squash Posted: January 13, 2013 at 01:51 PM (#4346170)
I don't understand how you came to this conclusion. Sure, they are definitely a distant third after the Giants and Niners, but when I go to any number of local dives the Warriors are absolutely always on the TV, and there are always people watching (and these are definitely not sports bars).

Well then this I'm glad to hear. I haven't seen a bunch of Warriors fanship in San Francisco (granted I don't live in San Francisco anymore, but when I'm there it doesn't seem to have changed THAT much) but if there is, great. I think we can all agree though that the very great majority of Warriors fanship exists in the East Bay - because the Warriors are there of course, but regardless. And I do understand obviously why the Warriors would want to move to SF - for the same reason the A's want to move to San Jose, because they'll gain much greater access to corporate sponsorship and draw from a much more affluent fanbase. The benefit of an SF move as compared to a San Jose one, especially if they get that Pier 30-32 spot near BART, would at least be that they would still be accessible to the East Bay so all the po' folk could still attend games. Until they get priced out.

I think I'm just a little sad that Oakland, while I grew up having the A's, Warriors, and then the Raiders after they returned, could very conceivably within the next 5 years have none of those teams. A small non-wealthy city like Oakland was lucky to have all those teams in the first place, but still.
   384. Into the Void Posted: January 13, 2013 at 02:24 PM (#4346189)
I definitely agree with that. The Warriors moving to SF will bring in an entirely different type of "fan," just like the Giants moving from Candlestick to AT&T did. It will probably be the same people...the ones that spend 3/4 of the game taking pictures of themselves at the game and putting them on their Facebook account and then obsessively checking to see if anyone has commented on them.
   385. The District Attorney Posted: January 13, 2013 at 03:00 PM (#4346215)
Are Nicholson and Sandler buddies?
Nicholson co-starred in the Sandler movie Anger Management (no, seriously).
   386. smileyy Posted: January 13, 2013 at 05:21 PM (#4346314)
I'll have to keep an eye on Bol Bol, great name, sounds like a great prospect.
   387. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: January 14, 2013 at 01:09 PM (#4346761)
This is amazing.

---

Bulls get crushed at home

Bulls are now only 10-10 at home after the Suns curbstomped them Saturday. They are maddeningly inconsistent, and the only way to describe it is the old cliche about playing to the level of their competition. Inconsistency is a very unsettling thing for a Thibs team.
   388. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: January 14, 2013 at 01:13 PM (#4346764)
I definitely agree with that. The Warriors moving to SF will bring in an entirely different type of "fan," just like the Giants moving from Candlestick to AT&T did. It will probably be the same people...the ones that spend 3/4 of the game taking pictures of themselves at the game and putting them on their Facebook account and then obsessively checking to see if anyone has commented on them.

The East Bay has been a GREAT home for the NBA but, like Seattle, the NBA isn't sentimental. That's what the East Bay gets for supporting one of America's worst run teams of the last 30 years so well...
   389. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: January 14, 2013 at 01:40 PM (#4346782)
Question for those who saw a lot of him, was Magic a good shooter? If he had grown up in the 3 point era, who would you (reasonably) compare him to as far as shooting prowess?

Unrelated question, when comparing Magic and Bird historically, how do you handle back problems vs. unprotected sex problems?
   390. smileyy Posted: January 14, 2013 at 01:45 PM (#4346786)
[389] raises a point I touched on before -- I wonder how many careers would have been different had the 3-point shot been available/valued earlier on.
   391. Conor Posted: January 14, 2013 at 01:58 PM (#4346801)
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/21554730/video-steve-novak-clowns-nate-robinson-calling-him-little-nathan

I don't think this was posted; I thought it was awesome. Would have been more awesome if the Knicks hadn't gotten killed in the game it happened, but still.
   392. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: January 14, 2013 at 03:27 PM (#4346845)
Speaking of Knicks soundbites...apparently James Dolan hired a crew with parabolic mics to record every word Melo said on the court because...Knicks?

EDIT: Oh, and Joe C, I meant to say thanks earlier but I forgot. No date set yet, we're still figuring that out.
   393. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: January 14, 2013 at 06:59 PM (#4347042)
James Dolan was also at the Golden Globes last night, sitting next to Harvey Weinstein at Quentin Tarantino's table.
   394. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: January 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM (#4347133)
I don't think this was posted; I thought it was awesome. Would have been more awesome if the Knicks hadn't gotten killed in the game it happened, but still.

Nate's annoying, but I don't see how that's a clowning. They got their ass kicked at home and his celebration move got mocked. Speaking of:

Nick Friedell ?@NickFriedell
Nate Robinson drains a 3 and continues doing the discount double check. Somewhere Steve Novak shakes his head in disgust.

Anywho, Bulls are beating the Hawks 48-20 (yes, 20) at halftime right now. Some various awfulness from this game:

K.C Johnson ?@KCJHoop
Remember: I get paid to watch this so you don't have to. This Bulls-Hawks game currently is setting back basketball.

A barnburner at the UC so far. RT @McGrawDHBulls Teams are a combined 1-for-16 from the field in 2ndQ. Bulls leads quarter scoring 2-0.

K.C Johnson ?@KCJHoop
Hawks score first points of 2nd quarter at 5:17 mark, giving them 4 points in previous 13:20.

K.C Johnson ?@KCJHoop
Bulls set franchise record for fewest points allowed in half with 20. Old record was 22 by Knicks in 1999. Hawks also shoot record low 20.5%

Second quarter scoring here in Chicago: Bulls -- 22-Hawks -- 5.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say the Hawks have quit on their coach and he's getting fired tomorrow. I doubt that is the case, so I have no idea how it can be this bad for Atlanta.
   395. Conor Posted: January 14, 2013 at 10:40 PM (#4347151)
What's the shot clock era record for fewest points in a game, because Atlanta has 28 now with 5:45 left in the third.
   396. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: January 14, 2013 at 10:47 PM (#4347156)
What's the shot clock era record for fewest points in a game, because Atlanta has 28 now with 5:45 left in the third.

Bulls against Miami in 1998-99: 49.

The Bulls went 18-77 from the field that game and compounded this with 13-24 from the line. It's especially impressive to score only 49 points when you force 21 TOs.

The immortal Kornel David led the Bulls with 13 points.
   397. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: January 14, 2013 at 10:52 PM (#4347160)
Last time Atlanta scored that many in the first half, they eeked out a victory. Of course, that was the Falcons yesterday...
[takes rat poison]
   398. Booey Posted: January 14, 2013 at 11:05 PM (#4347167)
Bulls against Miami in 1998-99: 49.

Only in that awful lockout season could a team score 82 points and win by 33.
   399. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: January 14, 2013 at 11:22 PM (#4347172)
Ummm, we're not far from that tonight (90-51, 1:34 left)
   400. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: January 14, 2013 at 11:23 PM (#4347173)
Tim Floyd Bulls were the worst. Flip you, Tim.
Page 4 of 11 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Martin Hemner
for his generous support.