Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, April 01, 2013

OT: NBA Monthly Thread - April 2013

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, but with our own thread, we won’t detract from what this site is really about: the Oxford comma and unspeakable criminal acts.

The District Attorney Posted: April 01, 2013 at 11:27 AM | 1276 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: basketball, nba, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 13 of 13 pages ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 12 13
   1201. Maxwn Posted: April 29, 2013 at 08:53 PM (#4428805)
I'd like expansion, but don't see it happening.

I don't either, FWIW.
   1202. RollingWave Posted: April 29, 2013 at 08:54 PM (#4428806)
The Bobcats should move. Charlotte wasn't meant for NBA basketball.

Ehhh, the Hornets had a fair amount of pretty good seasons with back there, I don't think this is a fair assessment, OKC pretty much proves that market size is not nearly as relavent to success in the current day and age as you know.. actually running a team competently, I'd have to say that in the East, where in most years they hardly field 6 above .500 teams, to forever suck can't possibly be blamed on the market alone.

I'd say just expand two teams in the west and move the Grizz and Pelicans back into the east. the talent pool is getting bigger anyway.

Given the very very limited number of truly game changing stars in their prime (aka 2) I don't think the diluting talent argument really make sense, since we're not contracting to 2 teams I'd hazard to guess. and contracting by any less than say.. 10 teams isn't going to do anything meaningful to that, and even that may not be enough.

Again, I can't accept the argument that the Bobcats can't compete in a conference where almost every year teams under .500 makes the playoffs.

1203. smileyy Posted: April 29, 2013 at 08:57 PM (#4428812)
Maxwn -- I was interpreting "dilution" from the Bill Simmons "In my day, every team had 5 All Stars" point of view. Two more teams won't change the fact that some teams only have a fringe All-Star, that some teams have one great player, and that some teams have 2 All-NBA guys, and the latter team is at a huge advantage because of it.

I agree with your conclusion that the talent level has never been higher. Its a great era for the sport.
   1204. smileyy Posted: April 29, 2013 at 09:25 PM (#4428828)
Or, you know, coke to RollingWave.
   1205. Maxwn Posted: April 29, 2013 at 09:52 PM (#4428864)
Maxwn -- I was interpreting "dilution" from the Bill Simmons "In my day, every team had 5 All Stars" point of view.

Oh, ok. I agree with that then. Those days are dead and gone and adding 2 more teams definitely wouldn't move the needle on that dynamic, as you and RollingWave said.

Nor for that matter, do I really think that having the league so small so that your talent distribution is that tight is optimal any way. An evenly matched league where 16 teams have a bunch of all stars and any of those teams could win seems more competitively balanced than a 30 team league where the teams without an all-NBA guy can't win a championship, but I don't think it really is in a meaningful way. Most of those teams without a championship chance today aren't even in the league if it was as small as it used to be. Maybe the Grizzlies won't ever win a title without getting a superstar in the lottery, but at least we're in the ####### league.
   1206. smileyy Posted: April 29, 2013 at 09:57 PM (#4428874)
Most of those teams without a championship chance today aren't even in the league if it was as small as it used to be.

And those that were in the league...well...they had their chance in that environment...

Never thought about it that way.

Talent-wise, I wonder what the barometer for "dilution" is? What does a 48 team league look like, for example, from a talent distribution point of view.
   1207. Maxwn Posted: April 29, 2013 at 10:17 PM (#4428900)
Talent-wise, I wonder what the barometer for "dilution" is? What does a 48 team league look like, for example, from a talent distribution point of view.

Just on the talent-distribution side, I think it's probably best to stop before you start to get a really serious gap between the top teams and the bottom teams in quality within a given season. There's a gap in the NBA, but it's at least small enough that on any given night, even the bad teams are not completely out-classed and top teams can still lose to bad teams from time to time. Occasionally, a poorly-run franchise will put together a truly terrible no-chance team, but this year even the worst teams won a quarter of their games and only a couple were even that bad. If you go wide enough, the worst teams in a season will be totally out-matched nearly every night.

I don't think the existence of gap between the top and bottom across seasons is necessarily related to the talent distribution because bad management can probably replicate that result no matter how small the league is.
   1208. smileyy Posted: April 29, 2013 at 10:26 PM (#4428911)
Flipping through recent NBA seasons, I was horrified by the number of sub-.200 teams.
   1209. Maxwn Posted: April 29, 2013 at 10:34 PM (#4428919)
It also occurs to me that paying attention to the high side of the wins distribution might be a little more of an accurate indicator of the talent distribution than the low side because the lottery means that you have some incentive to be worse than necessary if you are already pretty bad. Some if not most of those sub-.200 teams were that bad because they wanted to be.
   1210. Maxwn Posted: April 29, 2013 at 11:18 PM (#4428962)
I've got to admit, it is hard for me to take the Westbrook-less Thunder seriously as an offense when their likely second-best player is a PF who is being guarded by James Harden right now.
   1211. Honkie Kong Posted: April 29, 2013 at 11:34 PM (#4428978)
Josh Smith finally turning up for the Pacers series.
Now if he can show up in Game 5 too. Paul George can't score on him.
   1212. RollingWave Posted: April 30, 2013 at 01:09 AM (#4429086)
I've got to admit, it is hard for me to take the Westbrook-less Thunder seriously as an offense when their likely second-best player is a PF who is being guarded by James Harden right now.
and missed a wide open layup to send the game into OT.

The Rockets finally had a game where they shot above average from 3s and had a bounce go their way though (game 3 was lost when Durant had a lucky bounce 3.) still, Harden played like crap this game. so yeah... this Chandler Parsons guy is pretty good, he nearly matched Durant on both endso f the floor this game.

This makes the Grizz / Clipper series very very interesting, since the winner now seem to be at worst a 50/50 to make it to the conference finals, and the Spurs are at not invincible these days.

1213. smileyy Posted: April 30, 2013 at 01:50 AM (#4429102)
The Rockets can't be all that far off from a really good team, if they can figure out how to add that piece.

I don't remember the 2011 draft -- can someone explain this to me?

June 23, 2011: Drafted by the Houston Rockets in the 2nd round (38th pick) of the 2011 NBA Draft.

June 23, 2011: Traded by the Houston Rockets with Brad Miller, Nikola Mirotic and a future 1st round draft pick to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Jonny Flynn, Donatas Motiejunas and a future 2nd round draft pick.

June 23, 2011: Traded by the Minnesota Timberwolves to the Houston Rockets for cash.
   1214. Maxwn Posted: April 30, 2013 at 02:07 AM (#4429111)
and missed a wide open layup to send the game into OT.

Eh, he was trying to put it back quick and just tapped it a little short. It happens.

What I do not understand is James Harden being allowed to guard Serge Ibaka for like half the 3rd quarter without the Thunder trying to go at him once. I don't think Ibaka touched the ball the entire time. If it's because Ibaka can't beat him in the post, then that is just sad. A PF ought to have one damn move he can use on a 6-5 combo guard in the post to get a bucket. If he doesn't have one then he ought to ####### learn one. I know Ibaka is more of a face-up guy, but damn catch it in the post and then turn around and shoot over him if that's your thing. If its because Brooks isn't smart enough to go at a mismatch that big, then Brooks needs a new job. What made it worse was that for at least half of that time Harden had 3 fouls. That is the best offensive player on the other team, flirting with foul trouble, who isn't even a good defender in the first place, and he gets away with trying to guard a PF with talent for several possessions with no repercussions because they never actually made him try to guard Ibaka. They just stood by each other when OKC had the ball for about 6 mins or so. That is just dumb.

I will retract all this if there are some advanced stats that show that Harden, despite being a sieve in general, is some sort of sick post defender. I am doubting it though.
   1215. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: April 30, 2013 at 02:22 AM (#4429117)
i don't know for certain, but if i was gonna throw out a guess, i'd say they needed to trade his cap hold to match salaries, and then when they re-acquired him, they used a trade exception to reacquire him without actually giving up a player.
   1216. Der-K thinks the Essex Green were a good band. Posted: April 30, 2013 at 02:26 AM (#4429119)
2nd rd picks have no cap holds.
Sorry, I don't recall...
   1217. RollingWave Posted: April 30, 2013 at 04:33 AM (#4429163)
[1214] well Harden is much thicker than most guards that's obvious, so at least he's not that likely to be just pushed off the block by a PF like most guards would be, which makes post up on him probably harder than against most guards in the league. and obviously when your posting up on him that eliminates hie biggest issue on defense.. aka stupid miss rotations.

But yeah, despite all the criticism of Westbrook not being a distributor, the Thunder's ball movement without him is pretty awful, and given that the Rockets have one of the few guys that can actually bother Durant a little more than usual in iso....

As for the Rockets going forward, yeah they played pretty well without figuring out who's their PF all year long and have Harden and Lin trying to learn how to play off the ball on the fly (with only some success) . so they should improve next year simply by figuring those out a bit, a full year of Beverly would also help a lot. but then again, they were also remarkably healthy this year, of their 4 main player only Harden and Parsons missed a couple odd games. that can't be counted on all the time. though Morey have put together a really talented bench. They'll either try to land Howard or go the other rout and add a solid rotational wing like Webster or something + Smith maybe.

1218. RollingWave Posted: April 30, 2013 at 07:03 AM (#4429183)

It's basically a weak class and like most weak class you end up with a lot of solid guys later in the pick but most of the lottery guys either underachieve or flat out suck.

As of today, looking at winshare, the top 5 players in that class is

Faried #22
Leonard #15
Parsons #38
Irvin #1
Thomas #60

so yeah.. basically a totally random distribution. a lot of other very good players like Vucevic / Jimmy Butler in the back end of the first round as well.

So in this random pile the Wolfs picked Derrick Williams with the 2nd pick, who hasn't been bad, (and big man take longer to develop) but certainly look worse when guys like Faried / Leonard / Parsons / Vucevic were all on the board, I have a hard time seeing Williams being better than any of those guys going forward.

They also picked Montejunas who they flipped to Houston, He hasn't really done anything yet, but his skill set is very intriguing, a fast 7 footer with a legit jumper and all sorts of post move is a pretty rare combo, granted he got completely overmatched when the Rockets tried to start him later in the season. getting destroyed on defense and then lost confidence in his offensive game as well.

and of course, the worst part is that during the flip of Montejunas to Houston the Wolfs actually got Parsons, whom they promptly sold back to Houston, netting them very little.

1219. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: April 30, 2013 at 09:47 AM (#4429261)
The Bobcats should move. Charlotte wasn't meant for NBA basketball.

The fans supported the Hornets for a long time, (highest total attendance every year from 1993-1997, #2 in 1998) and felt burned when Shinn moved to New Orleans. Having a crap team as a replacement hasn't rekindled the fire.
   1220. Der-K thinks the Essex Green were a good band. Posted: April 30, 2013 at 09:54 AM (#4429272)
Pre-Panthers, Charlotte was a wonderful market. Basketball crazy state, no other big league teams.
   1221. AROM Posted: April 30, 2013 at 09:54 AM (#4429273)
Eh, he was trying to put it back quick and just tapped it a little short. It happens

Usually you're moving up as you put a layup in. Ibaka was on the way down. He didn't have time to think about it, muscle memory kicked in. He knew he messed it up the instant he released it, but you don't get do-overs when the buzzer sounds.

1222. Der-K thinks the Essex Green were a good band. Posted: April 30, 2013 at 10:04 AM (#4429283)
I remember missing a shot in exactly the same way once, to end a quarter. Very frustrating (though he had a lot more at stake, obv.)
   1223. andrewberg Posted: April 30, 2013 at 11:41 AM (#4429389)

He was technically drafted by Houston, but that trade to Minnesota was agreed to before the pick was made. After they drafted him, the Wolves traded him for a lower pick and kept selling picks as they moved down to gather together enough money to pay the rest of Kurt Rambis's contract so they could fire him without it costing more money.
   1224. andrewberg Posted: April 30, 2013 at 11:46 AM (#4429399)
For next month, can I make a request that we don't lead off the thread with a giant picture or video? It messes up the loading on my crappy computer.
   1225. Booey Posted: April 30, 2013 at 12:02 PM (#4429431)
For next month, can I make a request that we don't lead off the thread with a giant picture or video? It messes up the loading on my crappy computer.

Seconded. But for me it's cuz it makes it harder to be sly and spend my time at work hanging out on BBTF rather than actually working.
   1226. smileyy Posted: April 30, 2013 at 02:19 PM (#4429625)
Second second-ing.
   1227. andrewberg Posted: April 30, 2013 at 02:20 PM (#4429626)
I'm going to spend the next three months watching this to distract myself from the Timberwolves season.
   1228. Maxwn Posted: April 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM (#4430283)
Memphis up six on the Clips at the half. So far I'd say the game is developing mostly how Memphis wants it to. Paul has 21 but no one else on the Clips has more than 7.
   1229. NJ in DC (Now unemployed!) Posted: April 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM (#4430284)
Seconded. But for me it's cuz it makes it harder to be sly and spend my time at work hanging out on BBTF rather than actually working.

So much of THIS.
   1230. Der-K thinks the Essex Green were a good band. Posted: May 01, 2013 at 12:15 AM (#4430292)
1227: better that than this
   1231. robinred Posted: May 01, 2013 at 12:26 AM (#4430293)
The thrill-a-minute Jason Collins thread has me awaiting this month's "10-12 Primates" lead-in with great eagerness.
   1232. NJ in DC (Now unemployed!) Posted: May 01, 2013 at 12:32 AM (#4430297)
Bynum is something else.
   1233. Maxwn Posted: May 01, 2013 at 01:04 AM (#4430303)
Gasol picked up his 5th really early in the 4th and is sitting, but Z-Bo is just kicking the #### out of the Clips on the offensive end.
   1234. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: May 01, 2013 at 01:15 AM (#4430304)
Prince's dagger 3 is may have finished off the Clips. What an amazing game by Memphis.
   1235. Maxwn Posted: May 01, 2013 at 01:53 AM (#4430312)
I did not expect to see steam-roller Zach Randolph this playoffs. The last 3 games he's gone 27/11, 24/9, 25/11. 50% or better every game, I think. When he's playing like that, the Grizzlies are on an entirely different level as a team.
   1236. jmurph Posted: May 01, 2013 at 08:27 AM (#4430375)
So who coaches the Clips next year? Seems like either of the Brothers Van Gundy would immediately elevate them, but I'd guess they are the obvious picks. Maybe too expensive for Sterling?
   1237. Spivey Posted: May 01, 2013 at 09:20 AM (#4430416)
Stan Van Gundy makes sense. Carlisle or Adelman would be good too, I think - I imagine they'd at least consider leaving their current jobs for that one - though I don't know how much that actually happens.

Though at the end of the day, I'd hire anyone that got Chris Paul to stay.
   1238. Spivey Posted: May 01, 2013 at 09:25 AM (#4430423)
Also, the Clippers series isn't over. Memphis had Game 7 at home against the Clippers last year, and put up an abysmal offensive performance.

I wish more of the games weren't at an ungodly hour.
   1239. Famous Original Joe C Posted: May 01, 2013 at 10:03 AM (#4430450)
I agree with Spivey - Memphis is still prone to offensive swings and droughts. Obviously they're in a nice spot, but lots of basketball left.

I submitted a new thread - when it comes up, I'll post the awards results.
   1240. AROM Posted: May 01, 2013 at 10:59 AM (#4430485)
EAST:
MIA over MIL in 4 Perfect
BKN over CHI in 7 Could still happen
IND over ATL in 5 Nope, but Indy probably still wins
BOS over NYK in 6 Not a good pick

WEST:
OKC over HOU in 5 Probably works
MEM over LAC in 7 Maybe
DEN over GSW in 5 No, but if Denver survives G6, 7th should be theirs
LAL over SAS in 7 Epic fail

Regardless of games, it's quite possible I'll have only picked 2 of 8 first round matchups. Advice: Don't take any from me.

1241. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: May 01, 2013 at 11:19 AM (#4430505)
1227: better that than this

OK, I'm going to have nightmares about "Wesley Johnson" now.
   1242. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: May 01, 2013 at 11:37 AM (#4430524)
Portland's Damian Lilliard to be named ROY.
   1243. smileyy Posted: May 01, 2013 at 12:31 PM (#4430580)
Good award picks so far, I think.

Going back a few days, LeBron is still a little tone deaf in his comments about DPOY.
   1244. andrewberg Posted: May 01, 2013 at 12:36 PM (#4430583)
Well if a new thread is about to go up, now is probably as good of a time as any to start talking about Festus Ezeli. He was very active last night, but his FT shooting definitely falls below that threshold where it creates a drain on his whole offensive game.
   1245. Famous Original Joe C Posted: May 01, 2013 at 12:44 PM (#4430595)
He was very active last night, but his FT shooting definitely falls below that threshold where it creates a drain on his whole offensive game.

A perfect choice for the end of the thread.

I would say his entire offensive game falls below the threshold. A big man who shoots 44% and almost literally only makes shots at the rim (he shot 28% on all other attempts this year). He's a good defender, though, it seems, a decent enough rebounder. He's a fine backup C, but I don't know if I ever see him being worth more than 15 minutes per game on a good team. His per-minute numbers this year superficially look a lot like Asik's in his rookie season, except Asik manage to shoot 55%. I would argue Asik is a better defender too, but I'll admit to only having watched Ezeli play maybe 50-60 minutes total, so....take with a lump of salt anything I have to say about him.
   1246. AROM Posted: May 01, 2013 at 12:46 PM (#4430597)
but his FT shooting definitely falls below that threshold where it creates a drain on his whole offensive game.

He's certainly not good, but he's over 50%, probably not bad enough that a team will start intenionally fouling him the way they did to Splitter in last year's playoffs. But if they did, the name for it should be the Festus Free Throw Festivus.
   1247. Der-K thinks the Essex Green were a good band. Posted: May 01, 2013 at 01:20 PM (#4430647)
I call him 'A Festus For The Rest Of Us'
   1248. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: May 01, 2013 at 01:58 PM (#4430718)
He's certainly not good, but he's over 50%, probably not bad enough that a team will start intenionally fouling him the way they did to Splitter in last year's playoffs. But if they did, the name for it should be the Festus Free Throw Festivus.

The amazing thing is that he is only the third-worst free throw shooter on his team (Biedrins is legendary and Bogut is 129 for 278 over the last 3 years).

EDIT: Biedrins is 19 for 78 over his last 4 years! How is this possible? Also, why doesn't he get fouled more? He has taken 488 FG attempts over those 4 years, and obviously he's not exactly a jump shooter.
   1249. nick swisher hygiene Posted: May 01, 2013 at 03:35 PM (#4430869)
ok, so in further confirmation of this thread being the only sane online place for NBA talk, we have Henry Abbott today actually buying into Mark Jackson's b.s. and organizing a whole HoopIdea post around it.....

I'd like to thank you all for never using the phrase HoopIdea in this space. Please forget I typed it. I am sorry....

(Of course, if it were a choice between cheap shots and guarding Curry with Miller, I'd have to go with the cheap shot option...)
   1250. Maxwn Posted: May 01, 2013 at 03:57 PM (#4430897)
ok, so in further confirmation of this thread being the only sane online place for NBA talk, we have Henry Abbott today actually buying into Mark Jackson's b.s. and organizing a whole HoopIdea post around it.....

I knew that was going to happen as soon as I saw that presser.
   1251. jmurph Posted: May 01, 2013 at 04:14 PM (#4430916)
I knew that was going to happen as soon as I saw that presser.

I just can't figure out what the Kobe angle is going to be.
   1252. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: May 01, 2013 at 04:19 PM (#4430925)
if that post says anything other than 'draymond green should put an elbow into faried's jaw', they're doing it wrong.
   1253. Der-K thinks the Essex Green were a good band. Posted: May 01, 2013 at 04:22 PM (#4430931)
I think that Hoop Idea has a point with this recent series. You want your sport's best players on the floor, not the DL.
   1254. NJ in DC (Now unemployed!) Posted: May 01, 2013 at 04:24 PM (#4430937)
You want your sport's best players on the floor, not the DL

Take it to the Collins thread.
   1255. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: May 01, 2013 at 04:37 PM (#4430947)
You want your sport's best players on the floor, not the DL.

Well, have any of the current star players' injuries been the result of dirty plays, Westbrook (and whether or not that's dirty) withstanding?
   1256. smileyy Posted: May 01, 2013 at 04:45 PM (#4430952)
What constitutes a dirty play? An intentional foul / non-basketball play (those are kind of the same thing) with a higher than "baseline" (whatever that is) risk of injury?
   1257. Der-K thinks the Essex Green were a good band. Posted: May 01, 2013 at 05:03 PM (#4430981)
1254: (puts a quarter in NJ's tip jar)
1255: Shouldn't change our answer here, should it?
1256: I dunno.
   1258. smileyy Posted: May 01, 2013 at 05:17 PM (#4430999)
The point between 1255/1256 being: If a dirty play never causes an injury is it a dirty play? OTOH, you can drive drunk and get home without killing anyone...until you do.

Did anyone ever lose time from Bruce Bowen's...creative...defense? Didn't someone sprain an ankle on him?
   1259. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: May 01, 2013 at 05:21 PM (#4431002)
1255: Shouldn't change our answer here, should it?

Aren't the hoopideas supposed to fix problems? So like 1258 says, is it a problem?
   1260. andrewberg Posted: May 01, 2013 at 05:27 PM (#4431016)
Why is HoopIdea one word?
   1261. Darkness and the howling fantods Posted: May 01, 2013 at 05:29 PM (#4431021)
Well, have any of the current star players' injuries been the result of dirty plays, Westbrook (and whether or not that's dirty) withstanding?

Well, it wasn't the injury that kept him out of the playoffs, but the dahntay jones/kobe bryant injury comes to mind. Re Curry, it seems like there's a big difference between playing someone physically and intentionally targeting their ankles. Jackson and Curry seemed to think it was the latter, and, if true, IMO that crosses the line.

Looking at replays, I'm not sure it was true though. The Faried play looks like it could have been a shot at his ankles, but the camera angle makes it really hard to tell. Curry certainly reacts like he thinks it was.

Disclaimer: I'm a warriors fan.
   1262. Der-K thinks the Essex Green were a good band. Posted: May 01, 2013 at 05:34 PM (#4431032)
The series has quotes from players alleging that hard fouls, with the possible intent to injure, against star players are considered a legit part of defense today. Now, I'm not opposed to hard fouls (indeed, I prided myself on my ability to successfully hack when I was on the court; yes, I was terrible) in and of themselves, but what's best for the league?
I'm not convinced that Denver is going after Curry's ankles, but - if they are - they shouldn't.

Disclaimer: I'm rooting for Denver.
   1263. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: May 01, 2013 at 05:44 PM (#4431045)
The series has quotes from players alleging that hard fouls, with the possible intent to injure, against star players are considered a legit part of defense today. Now, I'm not opposed to hard fouls (indeed, I prided myself on my ability to successfully hack when I was on the court; yes, I was terrible) in and of themselves, but what's best for the league?
I'm not convinced that Denver is going after Curry's ankles, but - if they are - they shouldn't.

Totally agree. Didn't realize the first sentence; thought it was just the ol' "playoff foul" stuff. But I haven't been following that closely. So the answer to your point in 1253 is right.
   1264. puck Posted: May 01, 2013 at 05:46 PM (#4431047)
The part where Jackson said he had "inside information" and someone saying they wanted him to know they had no part in it was interesting. Does he mean a Nuggets player? Was he just making it up?

I say you start going for the ankles sometime before he hits 138 points.
   1265. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: May 01, 2013 at 06:02 PM (#4431066)
Good breakdown on the Curry stuff from game 5.
   1266. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: May 01, 2013 at 06:09 PM (#4431074)
Marc Berman
?@NYPost_Berman
Most of #Knicks players have black sports jackets in their lockers for what Kenyon Martin calls Celtics funeral.

Awesome.
   1267. nick swisher hygiene Posted: May 01, 2013 at 06:09 PM (#4431075)
The series has quotes from players alleging that hard fouls, with the possible intent to injure, against star players are considered a legit part of defense today.

yeah, I noticed that do--do you guys think the game is exceptionally physical today, where "physical" means some hard-to-quantify hybrid of "tough" and "dirty"? I would have thought that we are currently in a relatively NON-physical era of the game, but am by no means the oldest or wisest poster in this thread.

we do have a nasty rash of injuries blighting this season and especially these playoffs, but are they linked to overly physical play?

(nothing like typing fast in this box to produce an instant "productivity-effect")
   1268. nick swisher hygiene Posted: May 01, 2013 at 06:16 PM (#4431084)
also, the HoopConception (HoopNotion?) turns out to be so wimpy!

I mean, you wanna stop physical play? Well, let's take an idea from the soccer thread--no more free throws. 1 pt. plus the ball back; 2 plus the ball back for the double bonus; on offense loss of ball/loss plus 1 pt. for the double bonus. Or whatever. You'll see a lot less contact, without any of this real-time subjective courtside analysis.....
   1269. smileyy Posted: May 01, 2013 at 08:42 PM (#4431274)
Indiana caught a lot of flack a couple years ago for, IIRC, mugging Derrick Rose (and not making plays on the ball) when he went into the lane. I think Josh McRoberts was a primary guilty party? Or some ofey looking white dude.
   1270. RollingWave Posted: May 01, 2013 at 09:10 PM (#4431310)
Marc Berman
?@NYPost_Berman
Most of #Knicks players have black sports jackets in their lockers for what Kenyon Martin calls Celtics funeral.

And they proceed to play their own funeral, sheesh they're gonna let the Celtics push this to G7 aren't they, 2 for 13 from 3s? that's Rockets bad
   1271. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: May 01, 2013 at 09:53 PM (#4431355)
Or some ofey looking white dude.
if you're talking about the pacers, that description doesn't narrow the field of suspects down very far.
   1272. jmurph Posted: May 01, 2013 at 09:53 PM (#4431356)
And they proceed to play their own funeral, sheesh they're gonna let the Celtics push this to G7 aren't they, 2 for 13 from 3s? that's Rockets bad

It might be worth pointing out that we're not really talking about good teams here. Comparatively, sure, these are the 2nd and 7th or 8th best teams in the conference. But the East from 2 on down is just not good this year.
   1273. NJ in DC (Now unemployed!) Posted: May 01, 2013 at 10:10 PM (#4431363)
[1272] I know this is, like, really funny because Knicks (ha!) but I'd love to see an objective measure that from this season that paints the Knicks as less than "good" this year.
   1274. Spivey Posted: May 01, 2013 at 10:10 PM (#4431365)
Am I the only person that could *conceivably* see Houston coming back and winning this series? I don't see much different between the teams. Durant is better than Harden, but it's not an obscene difference. Asik and Ibaka are pretty close, Parsons and Martin are pretty close, and Houston is a lot deeper.
   1275. Maxwn Posted: May 01, 2013 at 10:24 PM (#4431376)
New Thread
FYI, If I didn't screw the link up.
   1276. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: May 01, 2013 at 11:01 PM (#4431400)
--do you guys think the game is exceptionally physical today, where "physical" means some hard-to-quantify hybrid of "tough" and "dirty"? I would have thought that we are currently in a relatively NON-physical era of the game, but am by no means the oldest or wisest poster in this thread.
Jalen Rose, on PTI today, essentially said that if a ring is on the line then, yes, he's gonna hurt someone if he has to. Nobody's looking to end a career, of course, but I bet nobody in Denver is going to shed a tear if/when Curry sprains an ankle and has to be gimpy while watching the 2nd round of the playoffs from his living room.
Page 13 of 13 pages ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 12 13

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BDC
for his generous support.