Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, April 03, 2014

OT: NBA Monthly Thread - April 2014

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, but with our own thread, we won’t detract from what this site is really about, which I forgot.

Have posts been building up inside you?

The District Attorney Posted: April 03, 2014 at 05:26 PM | 2387 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: basketball, nba, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 6 of 24 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›
   501. Bitter Mouse Posted: April 24, 2014 at 12:08 PM (#4693173)
Flip?
   502. Spivey Posted: April 24, 2014 at 12:24 PM (#4693188)
With the exception of the Miami series, I wouldn't be shocked at this point to see any series go either way at this point.
   503. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: April 24, 2014 at 12:29 PM (#4693193)
I'm starting to think that the Bulls might have made a mistake by trading Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas...

Don't rush to judgment.

To be somewhat serious here, the Bulls did get a first rounder from Charlotte for Thomas (#16 in the upcoming draft). If the Bulls can draft a HOFer with that pick, they still maybe could come out ahead...
   504. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: April 24, 2014 at 12:51 PM (#4693213)
With the exception of the Miami series, I wouldn't be shocked at this point to see any series go either way at this point.

I'd be shocked if the Bulls came back (barring an injury to Nene or Wall).
   505. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 24, 2014 at 12:57 PM (#4693220)
To be somewhat serious here, the Bulls did get a first rounder from Charlotte for Thomas (#16 in the upcoming draft). If the Bulls can draft a HOFer with that pick, they still maybe could come out ahead...
They'd probably just trade that future HOFer for Tyrus Thomas and some random Euro.
   506. Jimmy P Posted: April 24, 2014 at 01:23 PM (#4693239)
More second-guessing of past drafts: Seriously, how did MKG go before Bradley Beal?
   507. Manny Coon Posted: April 24, 2014 at 03:32 PM (#4693400)
More second-guessing of past drafts: Seriously, how did MKG go before Bradley Beal?

Defenisve upside. MKG was a pretty good defender this year, a lot of his advanced stats were better than Beal's this year.
   508. smileyy Posted: April 24, 2014 at 03:45 PM (#4693410)
I think there was some perception of Neal being just a better version of that shooting guard you can get in the first round anytime you want.
   509. Kurt Posted: April 24, 2014 at 03:50 PM (#4693416)
I'd be shocked if the Bulls came back (barring an injury to Nene or Wall).

I wouldn't. The first two games were very tight and the Wizards have been an atrocious home team this year. That said, I wouldn't be shocked by a Washington sweep either.
   510. Maxwn Posted: April 24, 2014 at 09:06 PM (#4693684)
Right now in the second quarter, Tony Allen and Beno Udrih have 18 pts and Durant and Westbrook have 14. So just exactly like everyone predicted.
   511. tshipman Posted: April 24, 2014 at 09:21 PM (#4693691)
Right now in the second quarter, Tony Allen and Beno Udrih have 18 pts and Durant and Westbrook have 14. So just exactly like everyone predicted.

Here's the thing with OKC: they're getting absolutely nothing from two rotation guys, Perkins and Fisher.

Every time those guys are in the game, it's a waste, especially Fisher. Perkins at least contributes defense on Gasol or Randolph. Fisher contributes nothing. He provides no spacing, he cannot stay in front of anyone, and he gets picked on any play you run. Why in the world OKC continues to play Fisher is beyond me. Don't get me wrong, I loved Derek Fisher. But the Derek Fisher I loved has been dead for five years.

I don't see how OKC can win a championship with a corpse and a half in their rotation.
   512. Kurt Posted: April 24, 2014 at 09:37 PM (#4693698)
Teams that intentionally foul when they're down 13 in the last minute should forfeit a draft pick.

Edit: THEY FOULED DOWN 12 WITH THREE SECONDS LEFT. ENOUGH.
   513. Maxwn Posted: April 24, 2014 at 09:39 PM (#4693701)
Here's the thing with OKC: they're getting absolutely nothing from two rotation guys, Perkins and Fisher.

This seems like a proximate cause of something that I've thought which is that their offense is quite mediocre if they can't get out in transition, at least against a defense like Memphis.

When they were whipping the Grizz in first half of game 1, they were in transition constantly because the Grizz weren't making anything and the Thunder were running off everything. Since then Memphis has slowed them down and its gone much worse for OKC. It seems like the offensive zeros they haul around don't matter much when they are running and playing mostly in 3-on-2 and 2-on-1 with guys like Durant and Westbrook but once it slows down to half-court its like all the Grizz need to do is put Allen in to hassle the piss out of Durant and the Thunder don't have a damn plan B.

Its still early but it seems to me that if OKC can't figure out how to spend a lot more time in transition they are going to lose the series. Either that or they need to sharpen up their half-court offense substantially very soon.
   514. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: April 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM (#4693712)
That's been the OKC/Brooks knock for a while now, hasn't it? I remember Pruiti back in his Grantland days discussing the fact that OKC's playbook/half court sets just aren't particularly intricate/good and so that opens them to weaknesses in the postseason that they don't face in the regular season when teams don't get to sit down and plan for days on how to beat you.
   515. Maxwn Posted: April 24, 2014 at 10:29 PM (#4693722)
Grizz MIA on offense right now and have let OKC back in it, partially through transition. If they don't start scoring again they are in trouble.
   516. Maxwn Posted: April 24, 2014 at 10:34 PM (#4693724)
Grizzlies reminding us all the last 5 mins that they also know a thing or two about bad half-court offense.
   517. Maxwn Posted: April 24, 2014 at 10:35 PM (#4693725)
Jesus Christ, enough with the miracle 4-pt plays already.
   518. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: April 24, 2014 at 10:38 PM (#4693728)
Brutal no-call on Westbrook fouling Tony Allen on the steal+layup followed by bad call on the Westbrook 4 point play.
   519. Maxwn Posted: April 24, 2014 at 10:39 PM (#4693729)
Ah, I can't believe that Conley shot didn't go down.
   520. Maxwn Posted: April 24, 2014 at 10:40 PM (#4693730)
OT again. Good grief.
   521. Maxwn Posted: April 24, 2014 at 10:44 PM (#4693731)
The Grizzlies have to get back to moving the ball on offense. This stagnant #### is not going to get it done.
   522. Maxwn Posted: April 24, 2014 at 10:58 PM (#4693735)
I feel like Russ and KD were a little quick to go to the jack up a tough three move there. There was a lot of time, they could have tried to drive and get a 2, with a chance at an and-1.
   523. Maxwn Posted: April 24, 2014 at 11:04 PM (#4693737)
Lol, tony allen. i don't even know.
   524. Spivey Posted: April 24, 2014 at 11:07 PM (#4693738)
Westbrook's 3 was wide open. He bricked the #### out of it, but it was the right decision.

Durant's 3 was a bad shot, and reeked of him wanting to make sure he got a shot to tie the game.
   525. rr Posted: April 24, 2014 at 11:09 PM (#4693739)
I expect that Brooks will get fired if OKC loses this series. Pritchard Tweet on Vogel:

Larry Bird just told me his sources say Frank Vogel's job is safe. @Pacers

That was before Game 3, though.

I also expect that Silver will make a statement soon saying something like the CBA is creating parity but that "There is still work to be done if we are going to give all fans hope."

526. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: April 24, 2014 at 11:11 PM (#4693741)
[524] There were options.
   527. Maxwn Posted: April 24, 2014 at 11:23 PM (#4693745)
Durant's 3 was a bad shot, and reeked of him wanting to make sure he got a shot to tie the game.

There's probably something to this. I definitely feel like sometimes Allen gets in Durant's head with all the ball denial stuff and he starts forcing it a little whenever he does get the ball. He's so good that sometimes that works out pretty good anyway.
   528. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: April 24, 2014 at 11:32 PM (#4693748)
The Western conference playoffs are amazing.
   529. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 25, 2014 at 12:34 AM (#4693764)
Blake Griffin's beastly, and the Warriors are getting dangerously close to some really, really dirty basketball. Green just logged himself a flagrant. It must really burn Warrior fans to watch Griffin smirk and clap after stuff like that; all the hits he's taken don't seem to bother him.

He did miss both free throws though.
   530. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 25, 2014 at 12:37 AM (#4693766)
The Clips trying to get physical right back, and picking up some really stupid fouls. They're letting the Warriors back in the game on free throws.
   531. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 25, 2014 at 12:48 AM (#4693769)
... and wow. I'm rooting against the Clippers here, but the Warriors have gotten some really cheap whistles at the end of the 3Q.
   532. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 25, 2014 at 01:20 AM (#4693777)
Stephen Curry! Oh! My! Goodness!!!
   533. Maxwn Posted: April 25, 2014 at 01:26 AM (#4693778)
I don't like giving the foul there with 8 secs left. They burned all of like 1 sec and now if they foul at all it puts GSW on the line to tie.

Oh well it worked out ok for the Clips I guess.

Also Paul fouled Curry there on that shot, it appeared to me.
   534. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 25, 2014 at 01:29 AM (#4693780)
It looked like it to me, too, but I think it was a good no-call. Curry was working hard to draw a whistle, and with time running down, it should have to be a really solid foul to get a whistle, not some ticky tack thing.
   535. Maxwn Posted: April 25, 2014 at 01:38 AM (#4693786)
It looked like it to me, too, but I think it was a good no-call. Curry was working hard to draw a whistle, and with time running down, it should have to be a really solid foul to get a whistle, not some ticky tack thing.

I don't really think it was all that ticky-tack myself. Stuff that would be ticky-tack on a shorter shot closer to the rim is not really on a long jumper because it takes much less contact to throw one of those off. And I don't really agree with letting stuff like that go just because its the last play. The officials are deciding the game just as much when they let stuff go that they normally call as they do by making a call.

That said its one of the risks for taking a jumper right there because everyone knows they do swallow the whistle a lot in those situations.
   536. Manny Coon Posted: April 25, 2014 at 01:43 AM (#4693789)
Blake Griffin's beastly, and the Warriors are getting dangerously close to some really, really dirty basketball. Green just logged himself a flagrant. It must really burn Warrior fans to watch Griffin smirk and clap after stuff like that; all the hits he's taken don't seem to bother him.

Green should have been tossed for that play, it was straight thuggery. Even more when you consider his history of getting tossed for a flagrant 2 for elbowing Griffin in the face on Christmas. Then of course the Warriors have the nerve to call Griffin a flopper after pulling this type of crap.
   537. Maxwn Posted: April 25, 2014 at 02:04 AM (#4693790)
To expand on 535 a little, I think they should call that play the way they call it the rest of the game as a theoretical ideal matter. I do not think that the GSW fans who are likely to cry about the call in great detail are right either because it is well known by everyone that they don't call stuff like that as much late so it wasn't "unfair" in that sense. The tighter whistle in the last secs is just a fact and it basically applies to everyone so its just kind of part of the deal at this point. I don't like it but its not asymmetric nor was that one incredibly egregious so you kind of just take your chances.
   538. sardonic Posted: April 25, 2014 at 03:11 AM (#4693796)
I was at the Warriors game, and from the crowd's perspective the more egregious blown call was Griffin's push off on Green that led to Green fouling out. But you could pick any individual play to death, the Clippers are a good team, etc etc. I guess I'm glad they at least made a game of it, it looked like it was getting away from them in the 4th quarter.
   539. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 25, 2014 at 03:42 AM (#4693797)
Green should have been tossed for that play, it was straight thuggery.
Was a bit surprised they went with a Flagrant 1, but that may have just a playoff call — no one wants to come down with a hammer unless they have to in the postseason.

I don't really think it was all that ticky-tack myself. Stuff that would be ticky-tack on a shorter shot closer to the rim is not really on a long jumper because it takes much less contact to throw one of those off. And I don't really agree with letting stuff like that go just because its the last play. The officials are deciding the game just as much when they let stuff go that they normally call as they do by making a call.
I think I would have been more inclined to think that way if the Warriors weren't gifted a slew of free throws on cheap whistles in the 3rd quarter. I had mentioned it above, but the game just totally grounded to a halt the last four minutes of the third as whistle after whistle keyed the Warrior comeback. They got their whistles already.
   540. Spivey Posted: April 25, 2014 at 09:45 AM (#4693869)
Live I thought Chris Paul fouled Curry, but on the replay I didn't really see it. I saw very little contact on the play, really. I think it was a good no call, and I'd probably want that to be a no call in the second quarter too. Now, it's hard to reconcile not thinking there was a foul there with the fact that Curry missed the rim by several feet. And Curry is obviously an amazing shooter, so I'm not sure. My guess is that he was seriously overcompensating for contorting and flailing his body around, which does make the shot much harder. Or he got fouled, maybe.

I thought I'd definitely be rooting for Golden State going into the series, but without Bogut they seem to rely on thuggery for all of their "toughness". And they were already pretty dirty against the Clippers anyways. Then again, I certainly am not rooting for the Clippers either. I guess I'll just watch it as a total neutral. I think Golden State is going to struggle to win the series at this point.

And everyone is in full-on panic mode over the Pacers now, right?
   541. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: April 25, 2014 at 09:55 AM (#4693877)
I thought I'd definitely be rooting for Golden State going into the series, but without Bogut they seem to rely on thuggery for all of their "toughness".

Heh. Not sure what your definition of "thuggery" is but Bogut is one of the dirtiest players in the league IMO. Acknowledging that, I can't help but read all sorts of underlying racial implications into this impression.
   542. Spivey Posted: April 25, 2014 at 10:36 AM (#4693910)
Heh. Not sure what your definition of "thuggery" is but Bogut is one of the dirtiest players in the league IMO. Acknowledging that, I can't help but read all sorts of underlying racial implications into this impression.

Draymon Green was recklessly dangerous on a couple of plays last night. I don't remember Bogut ever doing anything like that when I've seen him play, but I could be mistaken. Most of the Golden State Warriors players don't seem particularly dirty, but the way Green was playing last night seemed both calculated and dangerous.
   543. King Mekong Posted: April 25, 2014 at 11:04 AM (#4693934)
511 - Au Contraire, Perkins is bringing joy - http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/4/24/5651340/kendrick-perkins-decides-to-just-sit-on-mike-miller/in/5414839 also, poor Mike Miller is always on the receiving end of body blows.
   544. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: April 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM (#4693958)
Michigan's Mitch McGary is going to declare for the draft despite missing most of the year with a back injury. Why? Because he came up positive for marijuana on an NCAA drug test, which carries with it a season-long suspension.

Bizarrely, the NCAA recently realized how batshit crazy that was and reduced the penalty, but they won't apply it ex post facto to McGary. So he's leaving school rather than sit out a year.
   545. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM (#4693971)
I don't think there is one. Bogut may be one of the dirtiest players in the league, but he didn't play last night. Green did, though, and that was an obvious flagrant he laid on Griffin last night to go with the flagrant 2 on the same player earlier this season. Spivey's right, that's what GSW is passing off as "toughness" this series.
   546. Jimmy P Posted: April 25, 2014 at 11:46 AM (#4693980)
Mitch McGary declares for the draft. He tested positive for pot at the NCAA tournament. NCAA rules stipulate that if you fail one of their (not a school's) drug tests, you get a FULL YEAR suspension.

Staying in school really helped him a ton. He really developed his game. Good choice.

Edit: Just saw CFBF posted this exact thing in 544
   547. jmurph Posted: April 25, 2014 at 11:48 AM (#4693981)
It's nearly noon on the east coast so someone smarter than me has probably already said this on twitter, but OKC losing in the 1st round and Brooks getting fired might be the best thing long term for Durant and Westbrook.
   548. nick swisher hygiene Posted: April 25, 2014 at 12:28 PM (#4694028)
547--Yup.

They absolutely have the horses.

Ibaka is a totally reasonable 3rd option.

Jeremy Lamb, on a different team, would have been developed better.

Lineups featuring an absence of Derek Fisher and Kendrick Perkins should have been explored more extensively.

But matchups are a funny thing; if they get through this series, no matter how crappy they look, they would still be my favorite to make the Finals.
   549. Manny Coon Posted: April 25, 2014 at 12:36 PM (#4694043)
Jeremy Lamb, on a different team, would have been developed better.

Lineups featuring an absence of Derek Fisher and Kendrick Perkins should have been explored more extensively.

Caron Butler should be added to the list of useless old guys and in his case Lamb is a reasonable option use of ahead of him, it's a classic case of choosing a crappy veteran over a better but flawed younger player.
   550. Booey Posted: April 25, 2014 at 12:54 PM (#4694072)
But matchups are a funny thing; if they get through this series, no matter how crappy they look, they would still be my favorite to make the Finals.

Yeah. The Spurs are looking really fortunate right now, since the two Western teams that owned them during the regular season (OKC and HOU) are both trailing in their 1st round series. I couldn't see SA even getting to the Finals if they had to beat both of them, but if both lose in the 1st round, the Spurs instantly jump to the top of my list for most likely champion. I think they'd beat Miami; I just didn't see them getting the opportunity. Now it's looking more likely.
   551. jmurph Posted: April 25, 2014 at 12:56 PM (#4694078)
I couldn't see SA even getting to the Finals if they had to beat both of them, but if both lose in the 1st round, the Spurs instantly jump to the top of my list for most likely champion.

Counterpoint: Dallas.
   552. Booey Posted: April 25, 2014 at 01:02 PM (#4694088)
Counterpoint: Dallas.

Heh. Yeah. They have their own tough 1st round series to worry about.

Man, the West is awesome. The East is competitive too, but that's more cuz everyone sucks rather than cuz everyone is good.
   553. nick swisher hygiene Posted: April 25, 2014 at 01:46 PM (#4694186)
549--only a dramatic momentum-shifting* dunk in the 4th quarter of game #1 kept Caron off my #### list

(I know, I know; but I was in the building....)
   554. jmurph Posted: April 25, 2014 at 01:54 PM (#4694202)
Huh, so Kentucky is pretty much just losing Randle? Did I miss anyone else? The Harrisons are apparently staying. Assuming they have a gaggle of All Americans coming in, looks like they'll be pretty good next year.
   555. Maxwn Posted: April 25, 2014 at 01:56 PM (#4694208)
Surprising thing from the MEM/OKC series so far: The Calathes suspension has turned out pretty well for the Grizzlies because Beno has been excellent, at least in game 2 and 3. Did not expect him to be anything more than passable for short stretches at best.
   556. nick swisher hygiene Posted: April 25, 2014 at 02:05 PM (#4694221)
554--Randall and Young, arguably their two best players, but yeah, they have to be clear title favorites as of now.
   557. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 25, 2014 at 03:18 PM (#4694303)
So does that mean Calipari is definitely staying?
   558. Maxwn Posted: April 25, 2014 at 03:36 PM (#4694320)
Pete Vecsey says on twitter that Dr. Jack is in hospice care. Sad to hear.
   559. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 25, 2014 at 03:46 PM (#4694332)
That really is. We're near the end of the Dr. Jack/Hubie Brown era of radio commentary. Both those guys are great. Sigh. Hopefully Hubie's feeling spry.
   560. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: April 25, 2014 at 04:56 PM (#4694421)
The fun has already started in DC for the bulls
   561. Maxwn Posted: April 25, 2014 at 04:59 PM (#4694424)
The fun has already started in DC for the bulls

That security guy for the Wiz sounds like a real pleasant individual.
   562. steagles Posted: April 25, 2014 at 07:14 PM (#4694535)
Pete Vecsey says on twitter that Dr. Jack is in hospice care. Sad to hear.
kevorkian?
Mitch McGary declares for the draft. He tested positive for pot at the NCAA tournament. NCAA rules stipulate that if you fail one of their (not a school's) drug tests, you get a FULL YEAR suspension.

Staying in school really helped him a ton. He really developed his game. Good choice.

Edit: Just saw CFBF posted this exact thing in 544
i wonder if he'd be better off going to the Dleague for a year instead of declaring for the draft. if he gets drafted in the 2nd round, he's probably looking at something like chandler parsons' 4 year/3.6MM non-guaranteed contract, but if he goes to the Dleague and turns himself into a top 20 pick, he'll get that much guaranteed in his first two years, plus raises in years 3 and 4.
   563. Maxwn Posted: April 25, 2014 at 10:06 PM (#4694573)
Nene and Jimmy Butler just got up close and personal in this game. I'm curious if anybody gets tossed here. There was some grabbing of heads and assorted contact. Kind of weird situation. I imagine the officiating is about to get real tight in this game from here out.
   564. Maxwn Posted: April 25, 2014 at 10:09 PM (#4694576)
Nene just got tossed. I wonder if that will be the end of it or if there is more coming from the league. It wasn't really all that violent but that grabbing of Butler's head is definitely the kind of thing that could have set something off. Some guys really don't like it when you touch their head.
   565. Maxwn Posted: April 25, 2014 at 10:45 PM (#4694592)
The bulls just pulled the tony allen foul the shooter 65 ft from the basket with a 5 pt lead and 5 secs left. Stupid stupid stupid.
   566. Maxwn Posted: April 25, 2014 at 10:47 PM (#4694594)
The end of this game has been a cluster ####.
   567. Rob_Wood Posted: April 25, 2014 at 10:51 PM (#4694596)

that was an embarrassment
   568. Maxwn Posted: April 25, 2014 at 11:01 PM (#4694602)
I'll admit I've never heard of Tony Snell before tonight, but I'm guessing he does not have the built-up goodwill, credibility, and general belovedness that Tony Allen does in Memphis, so he probably ought not to be doing things like committing that foul in that situation and thereby pulling some of the nails out of the WAS coffin.
   569. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: April 26, 2014 at 01:11 AM (#4694630)
Wesley Mathews defense on Hraden has just been phenomenal.
   570. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: April 26, 2014 at 01:12 AM (#4694631)
I've spent this entire game watching Harden on defense when the Blazers have the ball. It's really ridiculous how little he moves.
   571. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: April 26, 2014 at 01:16 AM (#4694632)
BATUUUUUUUUUMMMMM
   572. Maxwn Posted: April 26, 2014 at 01:16 AM (#4694633)
man Lin just whiffed on a completely wide open lay up on the break.
   573. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: April 26, 2014 at 01:19 AM (#4694634)
This has been an awesome game.
   574. Maxwn Posted: April 26, 2014 at 01:23 AM (#4694635)
I get why James Harden doesn't play defense all season. But you know, playing OT for the season right here, you think he could maybe try to stay in front of someone. That is some weak #### right there.
   575. Maxwn Posted: April 26, 2014 at 01:27 AM (#4694636)
Again. Seriously Portland should be driving at Harden right now every time down. He apparently does not have another gear on defense.
   576. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: April 26, 2014 at 01:37 AM (#4694637)
Wow, Troy Daniels!
   577. rr Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:07 AM (#4694647)
Nate Silver on Tim Duncan, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and longevity:

Duncan is still an extremely effective player, in part because his masterful coach, Gregg Popovich, limits his minutes in the regular season. We might not have seen a career quite like his since Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

link
   578. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: April 26, 2014 at 08:33 AM (#4694660)
Donald Sterling. Great guy.
   579. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: April 26, 2014 at 09:38 AM (#4694671)
I'm anti-violence, but someone really oughta deck that guy.
   580. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 26, 2014 at 11:58 AM (#4694709)
Sterling's the main reason I root against the Clips. Sometimes I slip — lovable losers and all that — but now that they're really good I don't feel the need to cut them any slack. Sterling's human garbage
   581. rr Posted: April 26, 2014 at 01:21 PM (#4694739)
I came to link the Sterling thing, but I see it has been done. Thought the guy would know better by now or might have learned something. But apparently not. And bringing Magic Johnson into it...really bizarre.
   582. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: April 26, 2014 at 01:23 PM (#4694740)
Primer RT
@Baron_Davis That's the way it is...He is honest about what he believes in..Been going on for a long time, Hats off 2 the Team.. 4 playin above it all.

@andrewkeh Shaun Livingston said the latest Donald Sterling incident was crazy but implied it was not all that surprising given his known track record.
   583. JuanGone..except1game Posted: April 26, 2014 at 01:31 PM (#4694743)
That Baron quote is just depressing. I'd love to see the players make a big statement, but they are out there to win for themselves right now. Silver just got his first test. Just sucks for him that Stern has let this situation just fester for so long, but like Schott, it gets harder to keep a filter on the crazy as you get older.
   584. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: April 26, 2014 at 01:36 PM (#4694747)
RT @MagicJohnson TMZ reported this morning that Clippers owner Donald Sterling doesn't want me or other African-Americans to come to Clippers games. [A]nd I will never go to a Clippers game again as long as Donald Sterling is the owner.
   585. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:00 PM (#4694752)
RT @CandaceDBuckner: Pacers' David West had a more direct response to Sterling's comments: "He has a history of being a bigot and a racist."
   586. smileyy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:02 PM (#4694755)
Prediction: Sterling won't be majority owner of the Clippers a year from now.
   587. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:03 PM (#4694756)
Take his team away.
   588. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:33 PM (#4694779)
So i have to ask why is that woman dating him. What do they have in common? They both like soup?
   589. tshipman Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:50 PM (#4694794)
So i have to ask why is that woman dating him. What do they have in common? They both like soup?

I ain't saying she's a gold digger ...

I read the Nate Silver piece on Kareem. I thought it was an interesting parallel (although Kareem has obviously had the better career). One of the things Riley was known for on those Lakers teams was running really hard practices. Pop takes an opposite approach. Makes me wonder how they would have done if their situations were reversed, you know? Would Riley have burnt out Duncan? Would Kareem have gotten rusty if not playing?
   590. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:51 PM (#4694796)
I'd guess it has something to do with his winning personality. That and his money. Maybe his money is a factor. The more I think about it,, the more I think it's his money.
   591. smileyy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:16 PM (#4694815)
I may have been optimistic that he'll last a year.
   592. JJ1986 Posted: April 26, 2014 at 04:26 PM (#4694866)
It's been 6 years between David West postseason-3's.
   593. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: April 26, 2014 at 04:37 PM (#4694871)
I owe antic an apology (not for today, mind you)

Edit: Damn it.
   594. rr Posted: April 26, 2014 at 04:48 PM (#4694876)
NBPA statement on Sterling:

595. rr Posted: April 26, 2014 at 04:48 PM (#4694877)
link

Chris Paul is the NBPA President.
   596. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: April 26, 2014 at 04:49 PM (#4694878)
So is this IND-ATL series going to end up like BOS-ATL a few years back?
   597. rr Posted: April 26, 2014 at 04:56 PM (#4694882)
This is a lot different. Back in 2008, Boston blew Atlanta out and lost close ones, which allowed ATL to extend to 7. In this series, the Hawks seem to be more or less as good as the Pacers, at least so far. The Pacers could certainly still take charge and end it with a couple of double-digit wins, but I have not seen strong indications of that as yet.
   598. Publius Publicola Posted: April 26, 2014 at 05:17 PM (#4694890)
On behalf of the National Basketball Players Association, this is a very serious issue which we will address aggressively. We have asked Mayor Kevin Johnson to expand his responsibilities with the NBPA, to determine our response and our next steps.

Wait, what? What does Kevin Johnson have to do with this? Why would the mayor of Sacramento have any responsibilities at all towards the NBPA?
   599. smileyy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 05:22 PM (#4694895)
[598] Kevin Johnson is involved in the search for a new executive director of the NBPA (Billy Hunter's old job): http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10746199/kevin-johnson-lead-search-nbpa-head
   600. smileyy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 05:23 PM (#4694896)
Also, it's one thing for a player to get a coach fired. But to get an owner fired? I'll be impressed.
Page 6 of 24 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam S
for his generous support.