Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, December 01, 2013

OT: NBA Monthly Thread - December 2013

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, but with our own thread, we won’t detract from what this site is really about: day-to-day changes in President Obama’s approval rating, and Jack Morris.

The Starters:

let me just tell you that I’ve found the best possible gift for any basketball fan: basketball-printed and basketball net-printed leggings... Even better, both the ball and net leggings have matching t-shirts to go along with them. Personally, I’d pair the basketball shirt with the hoop leggings, since it’d give you the appearance of being a gigantic human basketball going in to an elongated human rim, but that’s just me. At just $150 per pair of leggings — and $175 apiece for the shirts — you can afford to mix and match the looks.

The District Attorney Posted: December 01, 2013 at 03:59 PM | 653 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: basketball, nba, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 7 pages  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
   1. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 02, 2013 at 05:06 PM (#4608919)
Again with the intro?
   2. The District Attorney Posted: December 02, 2013 at 05:07 PM (#4608924)
I've requested a fix :)
   3. robinred Posted: December 02, 2013 at 05:22 PM (#4608950)
This intro would be better if you could have found pix of Pierre the Pelican wearing these leggings.

Indiana at Portland tonight.
   4. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: December 02, 2013 at 05:24 PM (#4608952)
[3] RDF.
   5. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 02, 2013 at 05:30 PM (#4608957)

Don't worry, you'll still have HCA in the first round of the East playoffs.
   6. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 02, 2013 at 06:48 PM (#4609025)
This is kinda cool, and is in the spirit of the intro (from BDL).
   7. Publius Publicola Posted: December 02, 2013 at 06:49 PM (#4609026)
2. The District Attorney Posted: December 02, 2013 at 04:07 PM (#4608924)

NY Daily News Headline:

DA has Heroin Habit!
   8. The District Attorney Posted: December 02, 2013 at 06:54 PM (#4609033)
Damn fixx... one thing leads to another!
   9. robinred Posted: December 02, 2013 at 07:18 PM (#4609043)
Jordan Farmar out for a month with a torn left hamstring. This hurts the Lakers a bit; Farmar was doing pretty well--PER of 17.8.

Buzz out there that both Nash and Bryant may be back Friday in Sacto. For the second time in three weeks, the Lakers have four days off and do not play again until that game.
   10. RollingWave Posted: December 02, 2013 at 08:52 PM (#4609087)
Why don't they just have Russel Westbrook be the model in that OP pic? that's like his daily wardrobe right?
   11. Publius Publicola Posted: December 02, 2013 at 10:45 PM (#4609150)
In a Wizards wasting of Orlando tonight, Vesely got major minutes and played fairly well. He has been very active lately, if not particularly effective, and has now moved past Kevin Seraphin on the depth chart. Seraphin got nothing but garbage time minutes.

Hayward had 17 points in the first quarter against Houston. He and Trey Burke are working very effectively together.
   12. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 03, 2013 at 12:39 AM (#4609240)
I just can't quit the Bulls - damn you Noah and Deng and your effort and caring so much in a wasted season.

Fun bad game between Bulls/Pelicans. Pels won by 3 in 3OT, 131-128. Great play design to get Holiday a layup and 1 for the game winner - he started in the backcourt and everyone else was spread out and he just sprinted in, got the pass from the sideline and was wide open (to be fair, it was also horrible defense, but the design totally fooled the Bulls). Bulls had shots to win the game out of a TO at the end of regulation and end of first OT, but couldn't get shots off; Pels matched them at the end of OT2 before succeeding in OT3.

Ryan Anderson had 36 on 20 FGA in 57min; Deng had 37 on 27 in 56min (but 7 turnovers since he was asked to handle the ball way too much). Gibson had his best game ever - 26/14 in 44min. Deng has been on a great run lately, and while I've been a huge proponent of his here on IRL and part of me wants him to be a lifetime Bull, I really don't think I want to Bulls to resign him for what he'll get and what will inevitably be his declining year due to wear and tear, but I now hope they can get something from him before the deadline; I also think Gibson would have some value and is extremely more trade-able than Boozer.
   13. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 03, 2013 at 12:41 AM (#4609241)
Oh, Tim Duncan with a buzzer beater and oldest to have a 20/20 game. Ho hum.
   14. RollingWave Posted: December 03, 2013 at 01:14 AM (#4609267)
So right after the Rockets convincingly won a game in San Antonio, they drop one to Utah.

Yep. (granted they were missing Parsons / Lin but still.)
   15. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: December 03, 2013 at 01:27 AM (#4609272)
   16. Booey Posted: December 03, 2013 at 01:50 AM (#4609287)
Can you get tickets for "her" for Christmas?

Heh. I wish. I doubt she'd fall for it though.

And hey, Jazz win again. Burke looked awesome, which took the pressure off of Hayward and Favors.

Yeah that was nice to see. Won 3 out of the last 4 now, and Hayward's breakout game was refreshing too. He had over 20 points on above 50% shooting 5 times in the first 9 games, then in the next 9 games he never had more than 18 or shot better than .429 (and most games were well below both marks). So 29 on 12-18 is pretty sweet.
   17. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 03, 2013 at 11:15 AM (#4609427)
Paul George, y'all.

Also, the Blazers.
   18. GregD Posted: December 03, 2013 at 11:47 AM (#4609446)
This pass from Duncan is pretty awesome.
That pass is insane.
   19. andrewberg Posted: December 03, 2013 at 12:51 PM (#4609527)
It seems like Trey Burke at PG and Favors at C is making a big difference for Utah.
   20. Booey Posted: December 03, 2013 at 01:01 PM (#4609540)
It seems like Trey Burke at PG and Favors at C is making a big difference for Utah.

Yeah. I hate taking minutes away from Kanter since he needs to develop and he's a much bigger part of our future (hopefully) than Marvin Williams, but to his credit Marvin has actually played surprisingly well starting at PF. Much better than he ever played for any prolonged stretch last year.

Evans coming back is worth mentioning too. With him and Kanter off the bench, we now have at least a couple NBA caliber subs (I still like Alec Burks too, but he's really inconsistent and needs to learn better shot selection).
   21. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: December 03, 2013 at 01:41 PM (#4609569)
Tyreke Evans seems to be realizing his destiny as a Jamal Crawford/JR Smith low percentage high volume instant offense 6th man. I've ragged on him a lot and he's surely still being overpaid, but kudos to Williams and the Pellies for working this one out.
   22. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: December 03, 2013 at 01:44 PM (#4609572)
Yeah. I hate taking minutes away from Kanter since he needs to develop and he's a much bigger part of our future (hopefully) than Marvin Williams, but to his credit Marvin has actually played surprisingly well starting at PF. Much better than he ever played for any prolonged stretch last year.

Evans coming back is worth mentioning too. With him and Kanter off the bench, we now have at least a couple NBA caliber subs (I still like Alec Burks too, but he's really inconsistent and needs to learn better shot selection).

Agreed. I want Kanter to succeed even more than I do any of the other young players, but he's just been awful this year and I think was making Favors play even worse. Not that he was fast last year, but Kanter looks as slow as he did in his rookie season again, which has made his defense Al Jefferson levels bad.
   23. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 03, 2013 at 02:25 PM (#4609620)
Bulls send Marquis Teague to the D-League. Which is notable for a couple of reasons - 1. he really needs it because he sucks. 2. the Bulls never send anyone to the D-League. 3. The Bulls now only will have a 12 man roster, and still likely aren't signing anyone anytime soon because of the luxury tax. Hinrich is notoriously injury-prone, so I'm sure Teague will be back soon enough. Hopefully he plays well enough that some other team might consider him a prospect worth trying to save.
   24. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 03, 2013 at 02:40 PM (#4609644)
The Bulls are 1-6 since the Rose injury. They are still 7th in the East, and 1.5 games ahead of the 9th place team. They'd be 14th in the West if they had the same record.
   25. Booey Posted: December 03, 2013 at 03:27 PM (#4609694)
Agreed. I want Kanter to succeed even more than I do any of the other young players, but he's just been awful this year and I think was making Favors play even worse.

Yeah, that's what's been frustrating about him. He put up some nice 20 pt games on good shooting early in the season, but that's when the Jazz were playing absolutely horrible. When his usage dropped in recent games, the rest of the team played better. So they've got to figure out a way to get him his minutes/shots without hurting everyone else's numbers, and they haven't found a way yet.
   26. NJ in DC (Now with temporary employment!) Posted: December 03, 2013 at 03:41 PM (#4609711)
The Knicks continue to find ways to top themselves. Apparently their new strategy for increasing Shump's trade value is to tell other teams that he's much better than they think, Woodson's just been using him wrong. It remains to be seen whether this will go any better than previous strategies such as Surprise He Had A Secret Summer Knee Surgery and Toss His Name Into Every Trade Rumor and Cripple His Confidence.
   27. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 03, 2013 at 04:14 PM (#4609753)
Not only is Antetokounmpo’s game growing, so is his body. When the Bucks drafted him in June, he was 6-9. Now, just more than five months later, he has added more than an inch to his lanky frame.

“I am now 6-10 and one quarter,” Antetokounmpo said smiling.

He then paused before adding, “I still have 3½ years to grow.”

Indeed, doctors have informed Antetokounmpo and Bucks officials that the former’s growth plate is still open. In all likelihood, he’ll become a 7-footer.
   28. Morph Posted: December 03, 2013 at 04:24 PM (#4609768)
The Knicks continue to find ways to top themselves. Apparently their new strategy for increasing Shump's trade value is to tell other teams that he's much better than they think, Woodson's just been using him wrong. It remains to be seen whether this will go any better than previous strategies such as Surprise He Had A Secret Summer Knee Surgery and Toss His Name Into Every Trade Rumor and Cripple His Confidence.

The Knicks are amazing man, after the loss to the Pelicans my brother and I had a forty minute conversation about what a terrible organization they are that included as more wishes for "sustainability" than 'An Inconvenient Truth.'
   29. JC in DC Posted: December 03, 2013 at 04:56 PM (#4609806)
The Knicks will be much better once they get Calipari on board.
   30. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: December 03, 2013 at 05:55 PM (#4609870)
27: Giannis had a great block-at-one-end, dunk-on-the-other sequence the other night. Too bad the game wasn't televised locally, so nobody saw it.

EDIT: That makes it sound like the Bucks are in high demand right now. Obviously they're not. Lower-bowl seats for just about any non-Bulls game go for $20-30 on the secondary market. I was able to see Portland at the Bradley Center for $14. I guess it's one of the perks of having such a bad team.
   31. Publius Publicola Posted: December 03, 2013 at 05:57 PM (#4609875)
Validation is not a pro coach. The only reason he succeeds at the college level is because his booster club allows him to recruit so well.
   32. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 03, 2013 at 06:28 PM (#4609908)
Well, I'm in the squinting as hard as possible to find silver lining stages of my Rose grief, and I finally found one. And really, this is more due to Jimmy Butler's injury than Rose's. However, since Butler has been out, the Bulls have been starting their first round pick, Tony Snell. You might remember our more excitable Bulls poster completely writing his career off after a bad quarter in the opener against Miami. But since he's been starting (5 games now), he's averaging just under 30 mins and 10.2PPG on 52.8% shooting and 45% on 3's (4 per game attempted). He's not doing much else - 1.8 reb and ast, and almost no steals or fouls or TOs. He's obviously learning defensively, but doesn't look completely lost. He's still super skinny and his athleticism doesn't jump out at you, but the Bulls might have found another useful role player late in the first round that was seen as an overdraft (maybe it's an every other pick thing for them, as they seem to have missed on Teague).
   33. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: December 03, 2013 at 06:34 PM (#4609911)
Validation is not a pro coach. The only reason he succeeds at the college level is because his booster club allows him to recruit so well.

John Validation?
   34. Publius Publicola Posted: December 03, 2013 at 06:38 PM (#4609920)
####### auto correct. I meant Calipari.
   35. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: December 03, 2013 at 06:53 PM (#4609937)
Kidd demotes Lawrence Frank.

We're now in the "tire fire" segment of the Nets' program.
   36. The District Attorney Posted: December 03, 2013 at 06:56 PM (#4609940)
Ehhh, Kidd's got this #### under control, it's clear that he no longer needs an experienced coach around.

EDIT:
Tim Bontemps @TimBontemps

Kidd says Frank will be filing daily reports, but won't be on the bench or at practices.
I'm sure those reports will be pored over at length by the entire organization.
   37. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 03, 2013 at 07:07 PM (#4609949)
I'm not saying Calipari is a good coach or would succeed this time in the NBA (I'd agree that he probably won't), but he does deserve some credit. He always (usually) has good defensive teams, which is impressive considering he's dealing with mostly freshman all of the time. Very, very talented freshman, for sure, but he still gets good team results out of them.

I also assume JC's post is said with his tongue firmly in his cheek.

EDIT: That's an AWESOME autocorrect.
   38. Publius Publicola Posted: December 03, 2013 at 07:08 PM (#4609951)
He's probably tired of being told by Frank what a ###### he is.
   39. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 03, 2013 at 07:10 PM (#4609952)
Kidd says Frank will be filing daily reports, but won't be on the bench or at practices.

WTF? Part of the reason they justified hiring Kidd and his complete and utter lack of experience in the first place was because they gad Frank on the sideline with him to help with the "coaching" part of Kidd's job.

Are they replacing Frank with someone else?
   40. JC in DC Posted: December 03, 2013 at 07:25 PM (#4609963)
Yes, tongue-in-cheek. It's all about CAA. I should have written CAAlipari. The NYK situation will get worse before it gets better.
   41. Starchild Posted: December 03, 2013 at 07:59 PM (#4609988)
Nice story of on the turnaround the nuggets have experienced after a so-so start. Players are finally understanding there roles under Shaw and on a 6-game winning streak as they continue their east coast road trip tonight in Brooklyn.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/12/2/5165578/denver-nuggets-brian-shaw-ty-lawson-nate-robinson

42. Publius Publicola Posted: December 03, 2013 at 08:26 PM (#4610006)
NEW YORK (AP) -- The disappointing Brooklyn Nets have shaken up their coaching staff, reassigning top assistant Lawrence Frank to a non-bench role.

Head coach Jason Kidd says Frank will not be at practices or games, and that he will be writing daily reports. He said the two had "different philosophies."

Kidd played for Frank with the Nets and hired him when he became a first-time coach in June. The Nets brought a 5-12 record into their game Tuesday against Denver, which is coached by Brian Shaw -- the other finalist for the Nets job that went to Kidd.

WTF?? IF Kidd knew Frank had a different basketball philosophy, what the hell did he hire him for?

Kidd might be in the running with Maury Wills for worst hire ever.

FWIW, I loved Kidd as a player. I think he understands what winning basketball is all about and played that way. But I thought he was a questionable hire as a coach because he communicates so poorly. When interviewed, he always had a deer-caught-in-headlights look about him and he was awkward and inarticulate.
   43. Publius Publicola Posted: December 03, 2013 at 08:55 PM (#4610026)
Lol. Avery Bradley just picked up a loose ball behind the backboard under the basket and tossed in a field goal over the top right before the 24 second clock went off.

The refs allowed the basket but I thought you couldn't do that, that it was a violation?
   44. RollingWave Posted: December 03, 2013 at 09:16 PM (#4610037)
Nice story of on the turnaround the nuggets have experienced after a so-so start. Players are finally understanding there roles under Shaw and on a 6-game winning streak as they continue their east coast road trip tonight in Brooklyn.

Their next 7 game is @BRK @CLE @BOS @PHI @WAS @UTA @NOP .... I'm guessing the odds of any competent team not named Houston them winning all 7 is probably 80%
   45. Publius Publicola Posted: December 03, 2013 at 09:28 PM (#4610046)
The Wizards are pretty giidRW, especially when they Beal back.
   46. Kurt Posted: December 03, 2013 at 09:33 PM (#4610051)
I don't care how good the Nuggets are or how bad those other teams are*, if all seven of those games are really on the road they're not going 7-0.

* The Wiz are 6-2 at home.

(coke to Kevin)
   47. steagles Posted: December 03, 2013 at 09:33 PM (#4610052)
who says no to this (or maybe a better question would be, what else would need to be in it to make it happen):

BRK gets: luol deng, carlos boozer
UTA gets: joe johnson
CHI gets: richard jefferson, andris biedrins, reggie evans, tyshawn taylor

48. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: December 03, 2013 at 09:44 PM (#4610064)
That would be awful for the Jazz and Bulls.
   49. PJ Martinez Posted: December 03, 2013 at 09:57 PM (#4610079)
Woj reports that the Kidd-Frank relationship has been bad for at least a month.

Hard to say how much coaching is a factor in Brooklyn's dreadful start, of course, but I always figured the Kidd hiring was no big deal because Frank was there. Looks like I was wrong.
   50. bob gee Posted: December 03, 2013 at 10:00 PM (#4610083)
it's ok about the kidd / frank situation.

kidd obviously has learned everything that frank can teach from his longtime coaching, and i'm sure that their stellar defense is a result from that.

COUGH.

byron scott, lawrence frank...anyone else meet the wrath of kidd?
   51. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: December 03, 2013 at 10:22 PM (#4610103)
[49] That Woj article sounds... not good.

And... the Nets are getting curbstomped tonight.
   52. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: December 03, 2013 at 10:44 PM (#4610125)
Nate Robinson just shot a pair of free throws lefthanded (split them) after an awkward landing. This is the state of the game in Brooklyn.
   53. Publius Publicola Posted: December 03, 2013 at 11:30 PM (#4610164)
Not having a guy who is making a mil a year not even come to practice sounds like a burr that will nettle the Nets until either he or Kidd is gone.

I don't know who's right or wrong but the way Kidd is handling this is stupendously stupid.
   54. NJ in DC (Now with temporary employment!) Posted: December 03, 2013 at 11:33 PM (#4610169)
Mozgov put up a 17-20 against the Nets tonight after a 16-15 against Toronto on Sunday. Zach Lowe was also giving him kudos on his defense a few days ago. I'm enjoying this thing where the melo deal just continues to look worse and worse.
   55. steagles Posted: December 03, 2013 at 11:38 PM (#4610172)
michael carter-williams and victor oladipo both got triple-doubles tonight. does anyone know the last time that happened for two rookies in the same game?
   56. RollingWave Posted: December 03, 2013 at 11:56 PM (#4610196)
Well, the Heat inexplicably lost to the Pistons... AT HOME , tonight. by 10 too.

Brooklyn lost again of course, by a huge margin of course.

At this point it's hard to see what trades Brooklyn could do.. Pierce for Rudy Gay? mostly just to get a living athletic body in there? it's not like they'll have cap room next year anyway so Gay's 2 year is not a huge issue, meanwhile Toronto probably got the better player ... aka just letting even Landry Fields play so the team actually have some shots to go around. and more importantly get out of of those contract after the year. the Knicks options seem to be trading Felton + Shumpert for Lowry or Vasquez . both would be funny, not that Shumpert is that good but that they'd be thinking Lowry or Vasquez is somehow the answer. (especially Vasquez.)

True, Washington been surprisingly good at home. And Boston not too bad either.

But if Denver say.. make the 8th seed this year.. and also get a top 5 pick via New York . HILARITY ENSUES

57. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: December 04, 2013 at 12:04 AM (#4610204)
The Sixers take 2 overtimes to beat a seven-man Magic team. Practically a six-man team, since I don't remember the announcers ever mentioning E'Twaun Moore's name, despite his reported 22 minutes (1 for 4 shooting, 3 assists).

Afflalo, Oladipo and Big Baby Davis all played over 50 minutes, and combined for 102 points.

58. Starchild Posted: December 04, 2013 at 12:04 AM (#4610205)
Mozgov looked in this played great while in the run by the Nuggets. Solid post play, great interior defense. The trade looks better all the time for DEN.

[44] Those last two games are home games vs UTA and NOP. I think they will lose one on the rest of the road trip.

59. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: December 04, 2013 at 12:09 AM (#4610209)
On 11/29, the Rockets' D-League affiliate, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, beat Tulsa 105-96 - this was easily their lowest scoring night thus far in their young season. Six games in, they're averaging 132.7 - including 145 and 153 the last two nights. Part of that is the tendency of that league to play up-tempo ball, but I wonder - given that the league functions (among other things) as a place to test and develop strategies - if this tells us anything about the Rockets' future direction, if they're interested in playing still faster.
   60. NJ in DC (Now with temporary employment!) Posted: December 04, 2013 at 12:11 AM (#4610213)
I don't think this will happen, but...can you imagine the scene in June if the Knicks pick turns into the #1? Would the NBA have to seriously consider relocating the draft for security concerns?
   61. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: December 04, 2013 at 12:23 AM (#4610218)
Au contraire, why do you think Stern is "stepping down"?
   62. Starchild Posted: December 04, 2013 at 12:32 AM (#4610220)
That would be crazy times if it happens. We draft the next superstar without having to be crappy ourselves! Win, Win.
   63. RollingWave Posted: December 04, 2013 at 12:33 AM (#4610221)
forget about #1, even if it's top 5 (which it's on track to) that would be a huge problem.

[59] Vipers, they're shooting 3s at a completely absurd volume, every game they chuck up 40+ from down town, the Rockets have more control over the Vipers than most other NBA team over their d-league team so this seems like a very likely order from the Rockets FO .

64. Starchild Posted: December 04, 2013 at 12:38 AM (#4610223)
And I thought kicking Seattle in the mouth one more time was it ;-(
   65. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: December 04, 2013 at 01:44 AM (#4610250)
Hell of a comeback/collapse by the Ws/Raps.
   66. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 04, 2013 at 11:51 AM (#4610382)
Hell of a comeback/collapse by the Ws/Raps.

I saw a tweet the the W's had over 2pts per possession in the 4th quarter. Unreal.
   67. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 04, 2013 at 12:10 PM (#4610401)
who says no to this (or maybe a better question would be, what else would need to be in it to make it happen):

BRK gets: luol deng, carlos boozer
UTA gets: joe johnson
CHI gets: richard jefferson, andris biedrins, reggie evans, tyshawn taylor

Reasons BKN would do it:
1. Get the best player in the deal, who also happens to be an expiring contract.
2. Get arguably the 2nd best player in the deal (JJ and him are pretty close, so maybe he's really 3rd; I won't argue this point that hard).
3. They are saving money on the deal by dumping JJ's last year of the deal, even though they pay even more this year (which to be fair, with the tax, might be a not insignificant amount, but what's another maybe $20mil on a $100mil bill already?).
Reasons BKN wouldn't do it:
1. Not the best allocation of bodies to positions (the backcourt is really weak now, as neither Deng or Pierce are ideal 2s).

Reasons CHI would do it:
1. Get out of Boozer's contract without having to pay him.
2. The big contracts all expire this year.
3. It might be enough to get them under the tax for this season, which actually in their minds would be the #1 reason.
4. The team gets worse, so a better pick.
5. More bodies, which they need.
Reasons CHI wouldn't do it:
1. Getting out of Boozer's contract is not enough compensation for trading their best player, who's expiring deal does have value.
2. Reggie Evans sucks, so they don't really want to pay him next year.
3. Thibs would not do well tanking. He would absolutely run Noah into the ground.

Reasons UTA would do it:
1. JJ is better than anyone they're giving up.
2. Even though they're giving up cap space, it's not like they were actually going to get a FA to sign there.
Reasons UTA wouldn't do it:
1. JJ's contract is awful.
2. JJ kinda plays the same role as their current best player. Or would take minutes from other young players.
3. It makes them better this year, which might not be what they want.

The Bulls probably would want more out of the deal, like a pick or young prospect (not sure Taylor would do). Or they'd want to dump even more money. The Jazz definitely need more - they got 2 firsts for taking Jefferson/Biendris, they'd want at least that for taking on JJ's deal. The Bulls wouldn't provide any more assets and the Nets don't have any more picks worth trading. Not sure adding Plumlee is enough from the Nets standpoint, so that's where this deal falls apart.

My initial reaction was that I hated this from the Bulls' perspective. But the more I thought about it, I hated it less. It's still pretty awful for the Jazz though.
   68. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: December 04, 2013 at 01:15 PM (#4610473)
With Golden State's comeback victory, the West improved to 63-23 against the East, or a .732 winning percentage corresponding to a 60-win season for an individual team. I checked the past few seasons, and each year the West won about 58% of the interconference matchups, meaning 47-35 or 48-34 as a team record equivalent. Even in the early 00s doldrums (I checked 2003-04), the West was collectively just a 52-win team. Can this extreme split continue for a whole season? Should we petition the league the change the playoff format to not include so much Eastern Conference dreck?
   69. Jimmy P Posted: December 04, 2013 at 01:18 PM (#4610477)
WTF?? IF Kidd knew Frank had a different basketball philosophy, what the hell did he hire him for?

Frank just got a super cushy job. He's making $1 million this season and next, and then his pay increases the two after that. He then has two more years after that. I know that Prokorov is made of money, but they're paying a video coordinator over $1 million per year now.
   70. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 04, 2013 at 01:28 PM (#4610488)
Can this extreme split continue for a whole season? Should we petition the league the change the playoff format to not include so much Eastern Conference dreck?

Yes. No.
   71. Naim Tiger Posted: December 04, 2013 at 01:37 PM (#4610496)
Question from a lurker/Lounger:

Does anyone here have NBA League Pass for broadband (not TV)? I’m thinking of getting it. I’d want to watch replays of games on my Apple TV. It says that replays of every game (regular season and postseason) are available, but subject to blackout rules. As far as blackouts, I only really care about the playoffs (I don’t mind being blacked out of the Knicks and Nets regular seasons, and they’ll black themselves out of the postseason).

If you have the service: if a postseason game appears on TNT or ESPN, will the replay be available on League Pass broadband?

Thanks!
   72. andrewberg Posted: December 04, 2013 at 01:42 PM (#4610503)
If you have the service: if a postseason game appears on TNT or ESPN, will the replay be available on League Pass broadband?

I don't think the nationally televised games ever go up on LP broadband. That's what I use, but I also have ESPN/TNT, so I watch on traditional TV if possible, but I don't think they put them up there later. I could be wrong.

Spurs and Wolfs play in Mexico City tonight. Adelman said the 7000ft altitude was noticeable at their walk through yesterday. For some reason, this game is considered a Wolfs home game.
   73. RollingWave Posted: December 04, 2013 at 01:46 PM (#4610505)
Oh goodie, Asik out a week , Rockets down to 9 living bodies if Parsons back continues to be no good tonight.
   74. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: December 04, 2013 at 01:47 PM (#4610508)
I wonder if Prokorov was using the European definition of "coach" in hiring Kidd. I don't know how European basketball works, but in soccer it happens all the time that a major team will hire an ex-player with no coaching experience just because he theoretically will garner the respect of the players, and some other person or persons actually do all the strategic work. And then if the ex-player does not actually get the respect of the players, he can get fired within six weeks and they bring in someone else.
   75. Dingbat_Charlie Posted: December 04, 2013 at 01:53 PM (#4610509)
Frank just got a super cushy job.

He should just mail it in on the daily reports. "Lookin' good. Maybe call a few less plays, and don't get so excited on the bench."
   76. kpelton Posted: December 04, 2013 at 01:53 PM (#4610510)
I thought Validation was some Calipari nickname I'd never heard before.

Reasons UTA would do it:
1. Dennis Lindsey is actually a plant from the Nets' organization
2. He somehow develops a drinking problem on low-proof beer.
   77. RollingWave Posted: December 04, 2013 at 01:56 PM (#4610512)
At this point Prokorov would need to activate himself right? couldn't be worse (he's 6'8, at least he's living and reasonably tall?)
   78. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: December 04, 2013 at 02:06 PM (#4610525)
Houston could ring up Covington, couldn't they?
(He really should've been drafted, by the way)
   79. Starchild Posted: December 04, 2013 at 02:10 PM (#4610526)
This is my first time seeing the Nets last night and they're terrible!! How'd it get this bad? I know Williams been out but still. Is this their new level of production given the older players added or this a case of them bouncing back to the mean they established last year. Or is totally because of coaching and they'll go a run when they hire Hollins or Karl.

I think they gonna bounce back to some mean
   80. bob gee Posted: December 04, 2013 at 02:58 PM (#4610595)
73 - maybe a d-mo sighting tonight?

lawrence frank got fired from the pistons with time remaining on his head coaching gig. he didn't take another head coaching gig, but i read that the nets are paying some of his detroit salary. then he got 'reassigned' from the nets.

so two different organizations are paying him NOT to be an assistant or head coach.

81. Bitter Mouse Posted: December 04, 2013 at 03:27 PM (#4610624)
I thought Validation was some Calipari nickname I'd never heard before.

It totally should be. In fact "Validation" is a pretty darn good nickname in waiting.
   82. Publius Publicola Posted: December 04, 2013 at 03:41 PM (#4610649)
I hereby decree that , from this day forward, John Calipari shall be referred solely as Validation. Any violation of this decree is punishable by forced watchings of James Harden's attempts, or lack thereof, of help defense.
   83. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 04, 2013 at 03:47 PM (#4610657)
I think that's a punishment for anyone but RollingWave. Sound like a good laugh to me.

I'd assign them to watch and recap Bucks games.
   84. andrewberg Posted: December 04, 2013 at 06:00 PM (#4610752)
2. He somehow develops a drinking problem on low-proof beer.

Drinking low-proof beer IS a drinking problem.

I think they gonna bounce back to some mean

Unpopular opinion alert- I'm still not that worried about the Nets. I accept that KG is demonstrably worse than he was last year and that Johnson and Pierce continue to age. Also, the Frank-Kidd fiasco was the first thing that got me legitimately more concerned about them than I was in the preseason. Even so, I think the long-term plan should just be to get everyone as healthy as possible and do enough to get the six seed (which should definitely be within reach). With Williams and Lopez, there should be enough to get into the playoffs in the east.
   85. Publius Publicola Posted: December 04, 2013 at 06:11 PM (#4610756)
Wow. Now Kidd-Gilcrist has broken his left hand. What in blue blazes is it with the rash of broken hands?
   86. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: December 04, 2013 at 07:11 PM (#4610791)
Wow. Now Kidd-Gilcrist has broken his left hand. What in blue blazes is it with the rash of broken hands?

ROIDS
   87. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: December 04, 2013 at 07:13 PM (#4610793)
Primer RT:

Trail Blazers ?@trailblazers 3h
Is it too late to join the Eastern Conference? Asking for a friend.

Phoenix Suns ?@Suns 3h
@trailblazers We asked you to keep that on the down low. That eager to get rid of us already?

Trail Blazers ?@trailblazers 2h
@Suns Well played
   88. RollingWave Posted: December 04, 2013 at 09:06 PM (#4610853)
I figure the Blazers shouldn't be worried about joining the EC at this point, though pretty much everything except the Jazz would be a playoff team in the East this year.
   89. RollingWave Posted: December 04, 2013 at 09:09 PM (#4610855)
I think that's a punishment for anyone but RollingWave. Sound like a good laugh to me.

I'd assign them to watch and recap Bucks games.

Heh, Harden's help defense seems to actually not be the bigger problem, he gets a few steal / blocks from those , the bigger issue is you throw the ball to the guy next to him, he'll lose sight of his men very quickly . Most Rocket perimeter guys are guilty of this but Harden especially.
   90. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: December 04, 2013 at 09:21 PM (#4610859)
Easy, Trailblazers, just move to another arena.
   91. steagles Posted: December 04, 2013 at 09:47 PM (#4610868)
With Golden State's comeback victory, the West improved to 63-23 against the East, or a .732 winning percentage corresponding to a 60-win season for an individual team. I checked the past few seasons, and each year the West won about 58% of the interconference matchups, meaning 47-35 or 48-34 as a team record equivalent. Even in the early 00s doldrums (I checked 2003-04), the West was collectively just a 52-win team. Can this extreme split continue for a whole season? Should we petition the league the change the playoff format to not include so much Eastern Conference dreck?
i think that should be in consideration. not as a permanent thing, but this year, with the eastern conference being terrible, terrible (terrible) from the 3rd seed down, if i were stern, i'd say that any western conference team that missed the playoffs and is 10 games above a corresponding eastern conference playoff team (so 44 wins v. 34 wins), gets their spot in the eastern conference playoffs AND keeps their lottery rights if they do not advance to the 2nd round.

there are only 2 decent teams in the east right now. if there were 4 or 5 or 6, i'd say 'don't change anything', but right now, this looks like it'll be a special circumstances type of thing.
   92. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: December 04, 2013 at 10:09 PM (#4610872)
So... Spurs/Wolves might be cancelled, given that the arena is on fire.
   93. RollingWave Posted: December 04, 2013 at 10:18 PM (#4610873)
So Rockets decide to not show up to play really bad teams it seems. down 11 against Phoenix at the half after already losing to Philly and Utah so far.

This has to be the worst James Harden game in a loooooooong time.
   94. Publius Publicola Posted: December 04, 2013 at 11:11 PM (#4610897)
It won't matter in the end because the western champ will face either Miami or Indy, and either of those two are as good if not better than anyone in the West.
   95. RollingWave Posted: December 04, 2013 at 11:43 PM (#4610905)
James Harden playing like garbage last couple games without Parsons and Lin at the same time.
   96. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: December 04, 2013 at 11:58 PM (#4610912)
Andre Drummond has 56 rebounds in his last 3 games. If he ever learns to shoot free throws, he'll be a great player. I do worry that he won't.
   97. Publius Publicola Posted: December 05, 2013 at 12:31 AM (#4610922)
Strange turn of events tonight in college basketball. UNC knocked off #1 MSU in their own joint with a double digit win. This
UNC team is maddeningly inconsistent. First, they lose to Belmont. Then a week later, they beat up on #3 Louisville. The a few says ago, the lose to UAB. Then tonight, they beat up on MSU. Between McAdoo, Meeks and Brice Johnson, the dominated MSU on the boards. I don't know how many blocks they had but it was a ton.

They face Validation and #3 Kentucky on the 15th, and by then maybe we'll know whether we're looking at a #1 seed or a team that gets bounced before the Sweet Sixteen.

EDIT: They only had 5 blocks. I turned the game on late when they got 3 on 4 possessions.
   98. Starchild Posted: December 05, 2013 at 08:53 AM (#4610970)
Nuggets streak was stopped last as they lost to Cavs. Lawson and Co. didn't show up. This make them 0-3 on BtoB with only the Rockets being a +.500 team that beat them. So hopefully this is not gonna be a real impact but a small sample run
   99. Bitter Mouse Posted: December 05, 2013 at 09:29 AM (#4610982)
So... Spurs/Wolves might be cancelled, given that the arena is on fire.

What a train wreck. Sheesh.

They face Validation and #3 Kentucky on the 15th

I laughed.
   100. RollingWave Posted: December 05, 2013 at 10:07 AM (#4610998)
First to 100 ....
Page 1 of 7 pages  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
greenback calls it soccer
for his generous support.