Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, February 03, 2012

OT: NBA Monthly Thread, February 2012

I estimate that there may be more than 10-12 Primates who want to talk about the inevitable dominance of the Philadelphia 76ers, and with our own thread, we won’t detract from what this site is really about: the pharmaceutical industry, allergies, and obscure movies.

Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: February 03, 2012 at 04:46 AM | 1392 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: phillies, twins

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 14 pages  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
   1. NJ in DC (Now unemployed!) Posted: February 03, 2012 at 07:37 AM (#4052603)
Would be interested to hear the Bulls' fans (or anyone else's) take on last night's CHI-NYK game. If anyone wants to give the the BTF take in DEN-LAC as well that would be great. I missed all of last night's action because of an event.
   2. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: February 03, 2012 at 09:54 AM (#4052634)
KC Johnson: DRose: "I finally hit a damn free throw. That’s what I’m happy about. I hit one. So hopefully next time I’ll hit both." #Bulls 4 minutes ago

It's hard not to like Rose.
   3. Crosseyed and Painless Posted: February 03, 2012 at 09:55 AM (#4052636)
My prediction - Pistons win a game at some point during the course of this thread.
   4. Famous Original Joe C Posted: February 03, 2012 at 10:28 AM (#4052673)
NJ, maybe Denver is better than I gave them credit for? I still think they are a better regular season than they are a playoff contender, and I know LAC had played the night before, but that was impressive.
   5. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 03, 2012 at 11:32 AM (#4052749)
tmoorepburbs: #Sixers are 8-0 this season when Jodie Meeks scores 10-plus points and 8-0 when Elton Brand scores less than 10.
   6. Fear is Moses Taylor's Bacon Bits Posted: February 03, 2012 at 11:44 AM (#4052763)
Would be interested to hear the Bulls' fans (or anyone else's) take on last night's CHI-NYK game.

Simple explanation - the Bulls had no answer for Stoudamire (not just Boozer, neither Asik or Gibson really and the Knicks had no answer for Rose, and Rose is better. I was really disappointed again in the Bulls defensive effort - rotations were slow (#### you Boozer) and the Knicks kept getting open shot after open shot*. In the first, Korver and Fields kept losing each other. The Knicks couldn't keep Rose out of the lane, so he got almost anything he wanted. And when the defense collapsed, he had incredibly open passing lanes for open shots. If it wasn't for the defensive lapses, the Bulls offense might have just run the Knicks out of the building.

The best part of last night for me was seeing Jimmy Butler getting playing time down the stretch - it was his first significant action of the year (IOW, non-garbage 2nd half) and he redeemed himself nicely. He did a great job on Melo - bodied him up, made him really work to get the ball, and really challenged his shots. He also looked fairly comfortable on offense - he may have passed on a couple of shot chances he'll take when he's played more and forced a couple, but he doesn't look out of place. He has the size to play SF, and is really the only SF on the roster besides Deng. When the Bulls meet the Heat in the playoffs, it would be nice to have another defensive option to put on LeBron; even if I don't expect him to stop LeBron, hopefully he can make him work harder and give Deng a bit of a break. Every time Norris Cole gets in the game for the Heat, all anyone can talk about is that he's had all this experience from playing 4 years in college, blah blah blah. Well, the same thing applies to Butler, except he was at a better program and the level of competition was much higher. It's a nice luxury to have an 11th guy who might actually be useful (I'm looking at you Lucas and Scalabrine).

*This is why the loss of Deng cannot be overstated. He is easily the Bulls' 2nd most important player - 2nd on offense and 1st on defense, IMO. Noah is the anchor of the first unit, but both Asik and Gibson are viable alternatives to Noah; there's no one on the roster that can replicate what Deng does on offense** or defense and can consume the number of minutes he does (top 3 in the NBA last 2 seasons).

**Maybe Rip, but he's barely played so I can't say for sure.
   7. tshipman Posted: February 03, 2012 at 11:50 AM (#4052778)

if we go by PER (which, admittedly, is a bit lazy), philly has 6** guys in the rotation who are over 18 and 9*** who are over 15. chicago has 4 and 7, but both numbers include jimmy butler and cj watson, and they rank 12th and 10th in minutes for chicago, respectively.

(repost from earlier thread)

Both of your numbers include Spencer Hawes, about whom there is much skepticism, and Lou Williams, who plays 25 minutes per game. Those are the Sixers' best players by PER.

What happens when Spencer Hawes wakes up and Joakim Noah remembers he's pretty good?
   8. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 03, 2012 at 12:12 PM (#4052805)
(repost from earlier thread)

Both of your numbers include Spencer Hawes, about whom there is much skepticism, and Lou Williams, who plays 25 minutes per game. Those are the Sixers' best players by PER.

What happens when Spencer Hawes wakes up and Joakim Noah remembers he's pretty good?
that's not the important question. the important question is 'what happens to spencer hawes when he stops hitting 54% of his 16-23' jumpshots?'

and when that happens, he still does a few things well. he can still facilitate from the top of the key. he can still rebound like a madman on the defensive glass. and he'll still be 7'1 with a massive wingspan.

and also, re: spencer hawes, the sixers have 4 players who can eat minutes at center (including tony battie, but not lavoy allen), so it's not as if he's luol deng on a team that has absolutely no contingency for playing without luol deng. they have options if he's out of the lineup or ineffective.

and they're currently on a 4 game win streak without him, so it's possible they're just now figuring out how to effectively play without him.

and lou williams is what he always is, except he's actually been much better. 22 points per 36 minutes and a >3:1 assist to turnover ratio coming off the bench is absolutely outstanding. plus, his defense has really gotten much, much better as he's gotten older (for as long as he's been in the NBA, he's still just 25 years old). and he's got his very own article on the point forward.
   9. The Essex Snead Posted: February 03, 2012 at 12:32 PM (#4052836)
If anyone wants to give the the BTF take in DEN-LAC as well that would be great. I missed all of last night's action because of an event.

Clippers came out strong (I think their first 5 made baskets were dunks), but faded fast in the 2nd & 3rd (this being their 4th game in 5 nights), and Denver built up a large enough cushion to cruise to an easy victory. Good games by Blake & Paul (& Foye, tho I think he got some garbage-time buckets), but Gallo went off from deep, Nene seemingly just kept cutting to the basket (tho he ended up 4-12), and Mozgov looked like a two-way superstar. As folks said throughout the broadcast, it was more a "schedule loss" than anything.
   10. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 03, 2012 at 12:59 PM (#4052861)
John Schuhmann @johnschuhmann
Thaddeus Young leads the league in +/- per 48 min (+15.6), which isn't a surprise. VC (+15.0) is 2nd & no other Mav is in the top 50
   11. Jimmy P Posted: February 03, 2012 at 01:17 PM (#4052881)
Jerry West says to 'call player's bluff' when they demand a trade.
   12. Fear is Moses Taylor's Bacon Bits Posted: February 03, 2012 at 01:23 PM (#4052886)
if we go by PER (which, admittedly, is a bit lazy), philly has 6** guys in the rotation who are over 18 and 9*** who are over 15. chicago has 4 and 7, but both numbers include jimmy butler and cj watson, and they rank 12th and 10th in minutes for chicago, respectively.

As your asterisk noted, Turner is actually under 15 (if barely). And it's silly to discount Watson - he's in the rotation but low on minutes because he missed a bunch of games with injury. I'm not going to touch on the many other problems I have with your reasoning though.

Except, I'll say this: the Bulls have 3 wins in hand compared to Philly, and have more road wins than Philly has road games (10-5, vs 4-4). Also, again the SOS thing - with Philly on the bottom of the league (and their big wins, as you keep pointing out but gloassing over are against teams missing significant players). None of this is to say they aren't good. My point is that the Bulls still have the advantage for the 1 seed (as both Hollinger's and BB-Ref's projection systems agree with). And your post was in response to me saying Philly wouldn't be favored over Chicago if Philly had HCA - I wasn't saying they should or shouldn't be favored, just that they won't be. Two very different things.
   13. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 03, 2012 at 02:03 PM (#4052912)
since i know that everyone here is dying to hear my take on tonight's heat game, here are a few things:

i don't think it's possible to say whether it's more important for the offense or the defense to show up tonight. it really is equally important for the team to function well on both ends of the floor.

i'm particularly interested in the pace of the game, and whether the sixers can maintain their near-historic turnover rate against a heat team that plays at a top 5 pace, and that forces turnovers at a top 5 rate. win or lose, i'd feel a lot more confident (and i know what you're thinking, but yes, it is, in fact, possible for me to get even more confident) if the sixers could maintain a few of the things that have made them so good to start this season--namely the turnover rate, opponent's FT attempts, assist rate, and i'd really like to see the opponent's eFG% not jump through the roof.

oh, and i've said this a few times, but tonight would be a really good night for jodie meeks to not suck.
   14. Jimmy P Posted: February 03, 2012 at 02:26 PM (#4052930)
LA Times is saying that Kenyon Martin is signing with the Clippers for $2.5 million.
   15. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 03, 2012 at 03:02 PM (#4052972)
And your post was in response to me saying Philly wouldn't be favored over Chicago if Philly had HCA - I wasn't saying they should or shouldn't be favored, just that they won't be. Two very different things.
if you're not saying that they shouldn't be favored, i don't see how you can say that they won't be.

LA Times is saying that Kenyon Martin is signing with the Clippers for $2.5 million.
so, the BAE, then? i thought he wasn't eligible to sign with an NBA team until his CBA team'a season ended.

16. andrewberg Posted: February 03, 2012 at 03:09 PM (#4052981)
so, the BAE, then? i thought he wasn't eligible to sign with an NBA team until his CBA team'a season ended.

His team let him go, so he sent in a letter asking for his release. Per FIBA rules, after it went unanswered for a week (conveniently over chinese new year), they granted the release. The team basically has an option to deny it and let it lapse. Probably won't carry over to anyone else.
   17. Famous Original Joe C Posted: February 03, 2012 at 03:12 PM (#4052984)
It just occurred to me that STEAGLES thinks the Sixers are better than the Bulls.
   18. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 03, 2012 at 03:34 PM (#4053010)
It just occurred to me that STEAGLES thinks the Sixers are better than the Bulls.
i think there's a case to be made that they are.

19. Fear is Moses Taylor's Bacon Bits Posted: February 03, 2012 at 03:52 PM (#4053026)
Is Josh Smith better than Carmelo?

---

Are you new here?

20. Fear is Moses Taylor's Bacon Bits Posted: February 03, 2012 at 03:55 PM (#4053032)
ESPNSteinLine: Technical clarification: Kenyon Martin gets FULL $2.5 million mini mid-level from Clips. Pro-rating exceptions doesn't start until Feb. 10

I'm surprised, I thought players still only got paid for the number of games they were signed. So now it's really obvious why it's important for Martin to get this done now.
   21. Fear is Moses Taylor's Bacon Bits Posted: February 03, 2012 at 03:59 PM (#4053035)
Denver's game in L.A. last night began what I consider the worst back-to-back-to-back on the schedule all season. The Nuggets go from L.A. to Denver to host the Lakers tonight, then fly to Portland to visit the Blazers on Saturday. Not only does that mean three tough opponents, but the travel is fairly ridiculous -- two nearly 1,000-mile flights with a major altitude change accompanying each. Don't be shocked if the Nuggets lose by 25 in Portland on Saturday.

From Hollinger's per diem today. That's brutal. Like I said at the time, I think the Bulls b2b2b of Det/@Min/Was has to be the easiest of that type, and this must be the hardest.
   22. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 03, 2012 at 04:01 PM (#4053039)
two sides of the same coin. josh smith is as "overrated" on defense as carmelo is on offense, meaning that they're both very good at that end of the floor, but there's just something that makes them less than the sum of their numbers. in smith's case, it's the fact that he's not physical enough to match up against stronger forwards. in carmelo's case, it's just that he's terribly inefficient.
   23. NJ in DC (Now unemployed!) Posted: February 03, 2012 at 04:07 PM (#4053046)

Yes. Next question.

Thanks for the recaps by the way.
   24. Into the Void Posted: February 03, 2012 at 04:18 PM (#4053055)
Steagles, would you say the Sixers are better than the Thunder?
   25. madvillain Posted: February 03, 2012 at 04:28 PM (#4053063)
This is why the loss of Deng cannot be overstated. He is easily the Bulls' 2nd most important player - 2nd on offense and 1st on defense, IMO. Noah is the anchor of the first unit, but both Asik and Gibson are viable alternatives to Noah; there's no one on the roster that can replicate what Deng does on offense** or defense and can consume the number of minutes he does (top 3 in the NBA last 2 seasons).

I had the exact same realization the other day. Sure, Noah and/or Boozer might be "better" players by PER or WS/48 or whatever you want to measure -- but what Luol Deng does for Chicago can't be underestimated and cannot be filled by anyone else on the roster. He spaces the floor. He plays 40 minutes a game. He runs the floor. He guards the other team's best perimeter player. He gobbles rebounds.

My level of anger this week his risen with each Kyle Korver start. I love Korver's shooting, I adore how he spaces the floor for Rose and Boozer and Noah. But for Christ's sake he cannot make a decision or defend without over fouling.

Perfect example, last night Korver opens the game on some great tear, 3 threes or something in the first quarter, yet the Bulls are giving it right back on the other end. Chicago finally gets a turnover and the loose ball bounces to Korver -- he has Derrick Rose sprinting up the middle, probably along with Lebron the most feared open court player in the league, and what does Korver do? He runs up the side of the court at a glacial pace and Landry comes from behind and strips the ball.

Just quintessential Korver -- great shooter, horrible decision maker, horrible defender.

Chicago is 19-6, it's not time to toss around words like "desperately", but imo, Chicago desperately needs a healthy rip and Deng to have a shot at beating Miami. It's why I'm so pissed Luol chose not to have surgery. Who cares about him missing February and March and even some of April, just get a few games in before the Miami series and be 100%.

For their part, I thought the Knicks played a helluva game. Amare turned back the clock, was nailing his jumpers and instead of getting stripped on his forays into the paint he was dunking and laying it in nicely.

Shump is going to be a solid player, but pringles is crazy to have him out there running the point against Derrick Rose. I don't understand why Bibby can't get any burn. DWTDD is horrible, one of the worst rotation players in the league, it's time to give Lin or Bibby his minutes.

The game came down to what Moses said, the "superstars" on the Knicks (Amare, Melo) verse Derrick Rose. Rose, despite his FT problems, had 9 points in the 4th, including an absolute dagger 3 to beat the shot clock, before Carmelo even scored. It's the difference between having a top 5 player and a top 15 one, and Rose showed how large the gap can be.
   26. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 03, 2012 at 04:40 PM (#4053071)
Steagles, would you say the Sixers are better than the Thunder?
if the two teams were to meet in the finals, the three best players on the court would be westbrook, durant, and harden. i think that would be tough to overcome.

but...again, going by PER, the sixers would have 9 of the next 10 best players. and, in iguodala, the sixers have someone who could lock down kevin durant. and in jrue holiday, they have someone who could very well be capable of locking down russell westbrook.

i'll put it this way, i think the sixers would have a better chance against the thunder than i think they have against the heat.
   27. NJ in DC (Now unemployed!) Posted: February 03, 2012 at 04:40 PM (#4053072)
It's the difference between having a top 5 player and a top 1530 one

FTFY.

Shump is going to be a solid player, but pringles is crazy to have him out there running the point against Derrick Rose. I don't understand why Bibby can't get any burn. DWTDD is horrible, one of the worst rotation players in the league, it's time to give Lin or Bibby his minutes.

Shump is PG by default. Douglas has completely fallen apart (is there any precedent for this kind of collapse?). Bibby has hit the occasional 3 and run a solid PnR once in a blue moon, but he's also been pretty awful. So, process of elimination, by virtue of just being "bad," Shump has been far and away the best PG on the roster. I'm all for Lin getting more burn, but he isn't a PG either, more of a scorer. Granted, almost all of his minutes have been in garbage time but I've been impressed with his ability to utilize changing speeds in the half court to get to the rim pretty easily and then good body control to draw contact.
   28. madvillain Posted: February 03, 2012 at 04:47 PM (#4053078)
I'm all for Lin getting more burn, but he isn't a PG either, more of a scorer. Granted, almost all of his minutes have been in garbage time but I've been impressed with his ability to utilize changing speeds in the half court to get to the rim pretty easily and then good body control to draw contact.

Yea, after the Bulls I follow the Knicks the closest and I agree that in few minutes he's gotten, and granted most have been garbage time, Lin has looked like a capable NBA player. That's more than you can say about DWTDD this year. Douglas used to be a scoring guard that played solid defense. This year he seems to be a scoring guard that can't score and plays horrible, gambling defense.

Probably a crisis of confidence, but perhaps he was just playing over his head his first two years. His "hot" stretches from beyond the arc last year probably gained him more traction with Dantonio than was warranted.
   29. NJ in DC (Now unemployed!) Posted: February 03, 2012 at 05:06 PM (#4053094)
[28] It's just hard for me to accept that a guy can fluke into shooting 558 3s in 137 games at a 38% clip. I agree with you that confidence issues are making matters worse which is what makes the situation all the more difficult from my perspective. On the one hand, I believe in his track record and think that not standing by him will make matter worse...on the other hand, when you consider his usage as well as his defensive collapse, he's been arguably the worst player in the NBA. Sucks. I don't want to think about this anymore.
   30. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: February 03, 2012 at 05:22 PM (#4053101)
ESPNSteinLine: Technical clarification: Kenyon Martin gets FULL $2.5 million mini mid-level from Clips.
They'd have been better off looking for a center. Griffin's going to play huge minutes, and in the playoffs he's going to go 40 minutes every night. I don't see the point in paying Martin — one of the more overrated basketball players of my lifetime — that kind of money for eight minutes a game in the postseason.
   31. Famous Original Joe C Posted: February 03, 2012 at 05:29 PM (#4053113)
They'd have been better off looking for a center. Griffin's going to play huge minutes, and in the playoffs he's going to go 40 minutes every night. I don't see the point in paying Martin — one of the more overrated basketball players of my lifetime — that kind of money for eight minutes a game in the postseason.

We had the same thought. Neither of these guys can cover opposing 5s, can they?

I suppose one argument is that it will save Griffin's legs in the regular season a bit and add some depth. Their backup PFs right now are a real mishmash of not very good (Brian Cook) and inexperienced (Trey Thompkins).
   32. Conor Posted: February 03, 2012 at 05:37 PM (#4053115)
From Hollinger's per diem today. That's brutal. Like I said at the time, I think the Bulls b2b2b of Det/@Min/Was has to be the easiest of that type, and this must be the hardest.

Knicks might have one of the easier ones also, at least in terms of travel. Chi/@Bos/NJ
   33. jmurph Posted: February 03, 2012 at 05:38 PM (#4053116)
ESPNSteinLine: Technical clarification: Kenyon Martin gets FULL $2.5 million mini mid-level from Clips.

I'm happy this is happening because before the draft the year Griffin went number one, I told anyone who would listen to me that his ceiling was a slightly better Kenyon Martin.

In short, I'm a moron.
   34. Into the Void Posted: February 03, 2012 at 05:43 PM (#4053120)
They'd have been better off looking for a center.

Maybe they could trade back for Kaman...say Kaman and Gordon for CP3? That sounds like a fair trade right? :)
   35. ?Donde esta Dagoberto Campaneris? Posted: February 03, 2012 at 05:43 PM (#4053122)
Neither of these guys can cover opposing 5s, can they

Is there any 5 on OKC or Miami or Dallas that you would be scared to put Martin on? The Clips could use a real 5, particularly one with a low-post game, but there's really only two teams that feature 5s you have to really worry about guarding and one of them will almost certainly not see the Clippers in the playoffs this year.

Martin can defend, or at least, he could. Having him around to chase Dirk or Durant for some minutes, if he can still defend, makes a lot of sense for the Clippers I think.
   36. Zipperholes Posted: February 03, 2012 at 05:44 PM (#4053124)
And your post was in response to me saying Philly wouldn't be favored over Chicago if Philly had HCA - I wasn't saying they should or shouldn't be favored, just that they won't be. Two very different things.
if you're not saying that they shouldn't be favored, i don't see how you can say that they won't be.
Sure he can. I've watched hardly any of these teams and have no idea who's better. But I promise you the Bulls will be favored (assuming no major injuries, etc). Gauging public perception is a different endeavor than evaluating teams.
   37. Famous Original Joe C Posted: February 03, 2012 at 05:47 PM (#4053126)
[35] Fair points, all. Maybe that is less of an issue than it seems at first glance.
   38. Fear is Moses Taylor's Bacon Bits Posted: February 03, 2012 at 05:49 PM (#4053127)
Count the guy who used to wear that uniform, Metta World Peace, as another veteran on the 23-year-old rookie's side. Only World Peace tells Goudelock to pretend he's Allen Iverson when he's out there and think of the other four players out there with him as "the bums" (referring to when Iverson played in Philadelphia with offensively-challenged running mates like Eric Snow, George Lynch, Tyrone Hill and Dikembe Mutombo).

"I tell him to stop saying it because it embarrasses me," Goudelock said of World Peace's name for him before admitting that Iverson was his favorite player when he was growing up.

---

Joel Pryzbilla is still out there. Any other centers worth anything? I forgot who I read talking about this earlier - it's lost somewhere in my feed - that the LAC backups are so bad that Martin can't help but be an upgrade. Regular season matters, too, and the Clips have had one of the easiest schedules so far in terms of workload (not SOS) - fewest road games and the fewest games total played. It's just money at this point - none of the other available players are worth the MMLE (JR Smith, maybe; Chandler and Brooks are both RFA). Whether or not he was overrated and overpaid before, he's worth that. CP3 also has a way of making guys look better than they are, and Martin can play the PnR game.

Knicks might have one of the easier ones also, at least in terms of travel. Chi/@Bos/NJ

Right, but between the travel and competition, it doesn't get easier or harder than the Bulls and Nuggets, respectively.
   39. Fear is Moses Taylor's Bacon Bits Posted: February 03, 2012 at 06:16 PM (#4053141)
BTW, March and April's schedules for the Bulls looks downright dreamy. Bulls have played more games than anyone else and more road games. By the time this 9 game road trip is over (last night was game 4), the Bulls will have played 20 of their 33 road games in their first 30 games. And I would guess they've lost the most games to injuries by starters (is there an easier way to confirm or debunk this*; by my count, Bulls starters have missed 27 of a possible 125 games; that doesn't count the 2 games JLIII started because Rose and Watson were out). In spite of that, Bulls have 19 wins and only OKC has a higher win%.

It's important to remember the schedule impact, as well as injuries being more pronounced (compressed schedule means an injury this year is an extra game missed per week compared to any other season), when evaluating teams. It's easy to to get excited about point differential and big wins and what not, and totally miss the bigger picture. The fact is there's going to be more schedule losses this year (like LAC last night) and what we see during the regular season may not be as predictive for the post season as we're used to.

*My other guesses are NO, since Gordon has only played in 2 games (I don't know who their other regular starers are), NJ with Lopez missing everything so far, and Memphis with Z-Bo missing the last 18.
   40. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: February 03, 2012 at 06:27 PM (#4053151)
Only World Peace tells Goudelock to pretend he's Allen Iverson when he's out there and think of the other four players out there with him as "the bums"…
Might as well.The Laker bench has, at the risk of beating a dead horse, been a dead horse this season. Goudelock is the only bench guy with any sort of youth a shooting touch right now. The offense is actually at the point where reckless Kobe Bryant shots are a good option.
   41. robinred Posted: February 03, 2012 at 06:36 PM (#4053157)
Goudelock is the only bench guy with any sort of youth a shooting touch right now.

I am usually wrong, but I did say before the draft that they should take Goudelock. I will be interested to see if he can keep getting 10 points a game on this trip; it will not be easy. I am glad that Brown is finally using him ahead of Morris and Kapono.

Brown has been using Murphy/Goudelock on the floor with Bynum some, with Bynum as the only starter on a modified second unit. Seems pretty sound offensively, having a spot-up big and a poor man's Eddie House out there with Bynum in the post. That is the kind of thing you have to think about a lot when your talent is short.
   42. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 03, 2012 at 06:43 PM (#4053165)
another sixers article on the point forward:

1. The Jodie Meeks factor and the Sixers’ long-range shooting
2. Turnovers
3. Miami small-ball
4. Pace
5. Miami’s half-court game: the constant question

43. madvillain Posted: February 03, 2012 at 07:21 PM (#4053193)
Robin, whatsup with Morris?
   44. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 03, 2012 at 07:57 PM (#4053206)
John Canzano: Portland C Greg Oden undergoes successful arthroscopic surgery to remove debris from his right knee. He remains out indefinitely. about 19 minutes ago

Mary Schmitt Boyer/Tom Reed: Big Baby suspended by Magic after verbal confrontation with Van Gundy at shootaround. Richardson back, Redick to bench v Cavs (MSB) about 48 minutes ago

Chris Sheridan: News item: Mark Cuban fined $75,000 for criticizing officials; Carlisle gets $35K fine: http://bit.ly/Al5yYh #Mavs #NBA 8 hours ago
   45. robinred Posted: February 03, 2012 at 07:59 PM (#4053208)
Matt,

A lot of it is not his fault--the Lakers are in a weird spot, and have a weird, Frankenstein's Monster of a team. Morris would be better off on a team like Sacramento or maybe Charlotte.

What I saw is that Morris simply does not have the comfort level facing the size and athleticism of pro opponents yet to probe and run the offense. He would often dribble away chunks of the shot clock, get mildly flustered under pressure, and/or just sort of hand the ball to Kobe and get out of the way. His 1 to 2 AST/TO ratio shows this. Also, obviously, his lack of shooting range is a bigger issue in the NBA than it was at Michigan. He needs reps and time in the DLeague and he needs to work on the J and a post-up game. Someone needs to put together a "Best of Andre Miller" DVD for Morris to watch 100 times.

In pre-season I said that while Morris has a higher ceiling, Goudelock should be playing now since he is a four-year college guy, more or less a finished product, and a guy with one specific skill, shooting the 3, that the team needs. Brown apparently figured that out last week.

I still think Morris can play in the NBA and I am OK with the Lakers drafting him. But until the Lakers know where they are going--try to get a star, try to patch PG and SF and see what happens, or blow it the F up--Morris is better off on the DFenders, getting reps with my new hero, Elijah Millsap.
   46. madvillain Posted: February 03, 2012 at 08:07 PM (#4053209)
Thanks Robin, the picture you paint of Morris is instantly familiar to Michigan fans -- and many of us voiced the same concerns when he left after only his sophomore year. Morris does bring to mind an Andre Miller type player: a bigger pg with solid vision but not an elite athlete and certainly not a great shooter. If Morris can have 1/2 the career of Miller, I think the Lakers and Morris would be happy.

Of course, us Michigan fans are happy as a pig in #### now, Trey Burke has come in and blown the doors off Crisler Arena. Only problem is he's been so good he might bolt for the NBA after this season. Right now I have to guess he's somewhere in the 20-30 range of the 1st round, but he stays a year, continues to get stronger and improve his already solid shooting and playmaking, he might be a late lotto pick.
   47. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 03, 2012 at 09:23 PM (#4053235)
down 4 at the half.

norris cole needs to stop making 3s. heat as a team are 5/7. when you've (kind of) locked down james and wade and bosh, it's just really annoying for a scrub like cole to step up.

also, the sixers have gotta force more turnovers. they just have too much talent and too much firepower for the sixers to consistently get stops, so taking possessions away is absolutely crucial.

thaddeus young has been much better than i expected. chris bosh is really not at all a good matchup for him, so it's good to see him doing some damage against him.
   48. JC in DC Posted: February 03, 2012 at 09:42 PM (#4053242)
JVG took Breen apart over the Knicks supposedly improved "D" and their "good" game against Chicago. I love vG. I wish he were still coaching NY. He even took a shot at the NBA for punishing his brother's comments last year by giving them a bad schedule. Love the guy.
   49. madvillain Posted: February 03, 2012 at 09:49 PM (#4053244)
Looks like Pringles reads these forums as he took my advice and inserted Lin into the rotation. So far, Lin has played quite well. He might not be a great passing PG, but compared to Tony Douglas' playingmaking he's Magic Johnson.
   50. Into the Void Posted: February 03, 2012 at 10:04 PM (#4053247)
Nothing more exciting than watching Wade shoot free throw after free throw.
   51. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 03, 2012 at 10:47 PM (#4053266)
that was...not fun.

tomorrow they play in atlanta, and after losing tonight, that really needs to be a win.

the 3 main problems with this game:
long 2s in isolation--during that massive heat run to start the 4th quarter, the sixers absolutely fell in love with these and it killed them. if the team isn't going to run it's offense, then they at least need to extend some of these shots out beyond the arc, because there's nothing uglier than 6 or 8 consecutive 19' bricks. the heat defense just completely collapsed to the lane when it became apparent that the 3 was not going to be a factor.

turnovers and the fast break--both were basically nonexistent, and if the sixers are gonna beat the heat, this has gotta be a major factor in their advantage.

that run to start the 3rd quarter--down 4 at the half, the sixers came out of the lockeroom and forced the heat to go 0/9 to start the half. this could have been an opportunity to put the peddle down, but while the heat were going 0/9, the sixers went 1/10, and from that point, the heat were just absolutely unconscious from the field. the score was tied at 61, and then the heat went on a 13-3 run. then the sixers got the lead down to 8 with 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter, and the heat went on a 15-0 run.

the only thing going through my mind towards the end of the 4th quarter was "you've gotta crawl before you can walk."

i know the heat are not untouchable, so hopefully all these losses the heat have piled up against the sixers will just fuel their fire if these teams meet in the playoffs.
   52. madvillain Posted: February 03, 2012 at 10:53 PM (#4053269)
Brutal 3rd quarter in Boston. 5 fouls in a 90 second stretch and the Celts have 6 TOs. Oh, make that 6 fouls in a 100 second stretch.
   53. madvillain Posted: February 03, 2012 at 11:44 PM (#4053281)
If the Knicks win this game somehow, they can thank Tyson Chandler. They should have amnestied Amare instead of Chauncy. I'd hazard they'd at least be .500...
   54. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: February 04, 2012 at 12:05 AM (#4053295)
That Knicks-Cs game was... terrible. I haven't watched a lot of the Knicks this season, but they're truly awful to behold. I watched the game with the sound off at a restaurant, so it was hard to tell stuff, but:

1. With just under 3:00 left, Ray Allen makes this big shot, but only because Garnett missed a point blank layup — a layup that should have been an easy dunk. It's sad to see KG with literally no lift at all in those legs.

2. Boston owned the whistle so completely, I couldn't believe it when Pierce didn't get that shot at the end of the game.

3. The funniest part about that wasn't whether or not Pierce beat the clock, but that he took four steps with the ball staggering backwards before he shot it.

4. That Carmelo shot at the end... Melo sucks.
   55. puck Posted: February 04, 2012 at 01:00 AM (#4053315)
Nuggets at home, Kobe 5 1st half points...and the Nuggets are behind by 3.
   56. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 04, 2012 at 02:07 AM (#4053332)
Your Best Physical Feature: dunno!!GURLZ HELP ME OUT ON DAT ONE!!
In the past month have you eaten a box of Oreos: <----a bag...a box is a bit much
who's hotter, Josh Hartnett or Chad Michael Murray: ...ima guy....
what was the last thing you said: the last questions is homo
do you have a little brother: yes
does he draw you cute pictures: NO that would be gay
are you a moron: sumtimez
   57. robinred Posted: February 04, 2012 at 02:30 AM (#4053336)
Watched most of MEM/OKC on League Pass. Memphis really missed Randolph in crunch time. As impressive as the Durant/Harden/Westbrook trio is, OKC could still use a guy who could score in the post. Marc Gasol played well offensively but didn't get the ball enough late.

Caught only 4th q of Lakers game. Denver looked gassed but still a good win for Lakers. Doesn't change big picture for them. Saw replay of Mozgov injury--too bad. Like that Brown is using Goudelock and Murphy to spread floor, don't like no burn for McRoberts.

Gallinari was 1/9. I have been critical of Brown for playing MWP so should note that.
   58. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 04, 2012 at 02:09 PM (#4053456)
just a few thoughts from the day after:

Tom Moore: #Sixers got 0 points in 40 minutes from starting big men Brand and Battie. yesterday

Tom Moore: #Sixers Holiday had 7 assists and 0 turnovers, marking 4th time in career he's had 7-plus assists with no TO. Averaging 1.4 TO last 7 games. about 12 hours ago

Tom Moore: #Sixers starters outscored, 72-34, in game. yesterday

i know that most people would probably be deflated after losing by 20, but i'm still feeling pretty ####### good about this team. not so much about their chances tonight @ATL, but i think this team is really headed in the right direction. there are a few things they need to improve (staying within the offense for a full 48 minutes and being able to get to the FT line when the jumpers aren't falling would be the areas i think they most need to focus on), but i think there's a hell of a lot to like about where this team is and where it's going.
   59. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: February 04, 2012 at 02:15 PM (#4053461)
Watched most of MEM/OKC on League Pass. Memphis really missed Randolph in crunch time. As impressive as the Durant/Harden/Westbrook trio is, OKC could still use a guy who could score in the post. Marc Gasol played well offensively but didn't get the ball enough late.

Speaking of Marc Gasol, why isn't he getting more support for the All-Star game? Hasn't he pretty clearly been the most valuable center in the West this year? He and Bynum are very similar on a per-minute basis, but Marc has played 35% more minutes. Following the losses of Z-Bo and Arthur, he's carrying a ridiculous burden to keep the Grizzlies competitive, and he's now 2nd in the NBA in minutes played. The Grizzlies are a +7 team when he's on the court and -19 without him. Yet I just read Ziller's All-Star Reserves column, and he picks Pau at center, followed by Marcin Gortat and Al Jefferson as legitimate options. Marc is buried in the middle of the injury replacement options along with DeMarcus Cousins. That just seems crazy to me.
   60. puck Posted: February 04, 2012 at 02:32 PM (#4053468)
Denver looked gassed but still a good win for Lakers.

That makes tonight's game @Portland a bit worrisome for the Nuggets. I assume they don't have to shovel their own driveways and they were tired from just the 2nd game of a backtobacktoback.

Has the effect of the compressed schedule been noticeable? 2nd games of back-to-backs always seemed tough, now there's even more short-rest types of games.

Lawson's performance at the end was disappointing, too. Some out of control stuff, then on their chance to tie he couldn't beat Fisher on the dribble.
   61. madvillain Posted: February 04, 2012 at 02:51 PM (#4053478)
peaking of Marc Gasol, why isn't he getting more support for the All-Star game? Hasn't he pretty clearly been the most valuable center in the West this year?

I just looked up his simple Roland rating, wow, +14.8. and an incredible 26.3 net production per 100 possessions when he is on the court. Those are beastly numbers, he's in superstar territory there.

I don't see him in the adjusted +- over at basketballvalue.com, which is over a much larger sample of a rolling 2 year period.

But still -- he's off to a hell of a start, if he keeps this up, he should be in running for an ALL-NBA team.
   62. robinred Posted: February 04, 2012 at 03:08 PM (#4053485)
Has the effect of the compressed schedule been noticeable?

Probably. Also, as was known in pre-season, the West is compressed. LAC crushed OKC, then Denver crushed LAC, then the Lakers won in Denver. So it is partly schedule and partly teams that are fairly evenly matched. The West is basically...

OKC
LACSADENPORDAL
LALMEMUTAHOUMIN

And, SAC and GS beat UTA and POR this week. NO is bad at this time, but there are well-known reasons for that and they are missing Gordon.

63. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 04, 2012 at 07:58 PM (#4053603)
Bob Cooney: Elton brand out tonight for #Sixers. Spencer Hawes back and starting. Lavoy Allen starting for brand. Playing Hawks at 7 about 10 minutes ago

this should be very interesting. i wonder whether eurogoon or battie will be the first big off the bench.
   64. madvillain Posted: February 04, 2012 at 08:20 PM (#4053608)
Luol Deng, for some bizare reason, is playing tonight against the Bucks. Heck, the Bucks just beat Miami, so maybe they will need him.

When Rose and Simeon played Jennings and Oak Hill in highschool, Rose put on a show, dominated Jennings, and Jennings was seen crying on the bench. I won't link the footage, but it exists on the internet if you're curious.
   65. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 04, 2012 at 09:56 PM (#4053648)
i am not overly enamored with the officiating in this game. i've gotta feeling there'll be some makeup calls in the 4th quarter, but at one point, there was an absolutely ridiculous 17-5 foul advantage going against the sixers. on one end of the floor, the sixers were getting whistled for body contact in the paint on the weak side, and on the other end, the whistles were silent as they were getting hacked in the head on the drive.

normally, i'm of the opinion that the calls even out, if not over the course of the game, then over the course of the season, but this has just been a laughably bad effort by the officials.

66. madvillain Posted: February 04, 2012 at 10:12 PM (#4053654)
What do I know, Deng is playing well, Rose is dominating, and Chicago is up 17 with 7 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter.

Ha, ha. Maybe Deng can play through this.

The Kohl center sounds like the Bulls' homecourt, heck it might even be louder than the UC on a typical night.
   67. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: February 04, 2012 at 10:56 PM (#4053663)
Hey may end up crying again tonight, bit of a beating tonight
   68. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 04, 2012 at 11:13 PM (#4053666)
there are more than a few things to come out of tonight's game, but i'll limit my comments to these two:

1, lavoy allen was taken out of the game about 4 minutes into the second half because of foul trouble, and he never got back in. i've said this a few times before, but i really think that if you're just gonna put him on ice for the rest of the game anyway, you might as well see if he can give you a few more good minutes before he picks up his 5th.

and 2, i think andre iguodala had just about the best 3/15 night that anyone could possibly have. 9 points, 8 rebounds, 10(!!) assists to 1 turnover. his shot selection was absolutely awful, but i think that's something that can be said about him every time he takes more than 3 shots.

69. Der-K, the bloodied charmer Posted: February 04, 2012 at 11:43 PM (#4053677)
Jeremy Lin! 25-5-7 (and team high +13) in a seven point win over the Nets.
   70. madvillain Posted: February 04, 2012 at 11:56 PM (#4053682)
Jeremy Lin just took a giant #### on Deron Williams, figuratively.
   71. nick swisher hygiene Posted: February 04, 2012 at 11:59 PM (#4053686)
70--the greatest game in Asian-American history....
   72. robinred Posted: February 05, 2012 at 01:13 AM (#4053719)
Howard will now demand to be traded to the Knicks so he can team up with Lin.
   73. andrewberg Posted: February 05, 2012 at 01:36 AM (#4053731)
Anyone else see love stomp on scola's head? Tough to defend, even if scola was being for it. I suspect it'll be a suspension. Still though, 500!
   74. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: February 05, 2012 at 01:50 AM (#4053734)
70--the greatest game in Asian-American history....
This is the greatest date in Asian-American history. But today's up there. I'm very, very geeked about Jeremy getting real burn in the League.
   75. robinred Posted: February 05, 2012 at 02:17 AM (#4053739)
Maybe the Lakers can use the TPE to get him...
   76. robinred Posted: February 05, 2012 at 02:18 AM (#4053740)
Thorpe tweeted that he expects Love to get a short suspension.
   77. puck Posted: February 05, 2012 at 02:19 AM (#4053741)
How quickly they forget this game.
   78. Fear is Moses Taylor's Bacon Bits Posted: February 05, 2012 at 01:20 PM (#4053858)
i know the heat are not untouchable, so hopefully all these losses the heat have piled up against the sixers will just fuel their fire if these teams meet in the playoffs.

Hilarious. They've lost 9 of 10, by a double digit average that's increased both times they've played this year. But all they need is a little more motivation.

When Rose and Simeon played Jennings and Oak Hill in highschool, Rose put on a show, dominated Jennings, and Jennings was seen crying on the bench. I won't link the footage, but it exists on the internet if you're curious.

There always does seem to be a little something extra when they play each other. Rose took Jennings' great start last game personally; Jennings finally scored towards the end of the 3rd when the Bulls were already coasting up 25.

KCJHoop: DRose---and teammates---basically admitted Jennings' 16-point first quarter from last meeting motivated DRose's fast start. #Bulls

This, the comments after the Pacers game, everything he says after missed FTs. I'm not going to compare Rose to MJ, but this grudge-holding is reminiscent of MJ - and I like it.
   79. PJ Martinez Posted: February 05, 2012 at 01:39 PM (#4053869)
This is the greatest date in Asian-American history. But today's up there. I'm very, very geeked about Jeremy getting real burn in the League.

I'm all for a big-tent definition of "Asian-American," but given that Yao Ming is a Chinese national, Lin's game trumps his, no?
   80. JoeHova Posted: February 05, 2012 at 04:07 PM (#4053923)
Yao's daughter is Chinese-American, does that change things?
   81. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: February 05, 2012 at 04:30 PM (#4053934)
I'm Asian-American, and since it's all about how I feel, everything Chinese counts.

But you're right. I'm wrong :(
   82. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 05, 2012 at 04:38 PM (#4053936)
Hilarious. They've lost 9 of 10, by a double digit average that's increased both times they've played this year. But all they need is a little more motivation.
i'm sorry, but which one of us was it that said that the sixers would be one of the best team in the eastern conference before the season? i mean, i might be wrong, but one of us said that the sixers would be competitive at the top of the eastern conference, and the other one said they'd be a borderline lottery team? which side were you on?

look, as strongly as you believe that the sixers have no chance against the heat whatsoever, you really would do well to remember just how strongly you believed the sixers would be an also-ran when the season started. the only thing you're doing now is moving the goalposts. you can't troll the sixers for being bad and you can't troll them for being overrated, so now you're shifting your focus to say they can't beat the most talented team in the NBA.

i hate to tell you this, but even if you're right, you'll still be wrong.
   83. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 06, 2012 at 08:02 AM (#4054410)
[Conor Orr] Conor Orr: Nets could see Brook Lopez return soon as they try to improve record: Lopez, out with a broken foot, possibly co... http://bit.ly/wCoAwd about 1 hour ago

Marc Stein: Joel Przybilla update: He's still deliberating between Bulls and Heat. Decision was expected by now but he's still weighing his options 3 hours ago

84. Fear is Moses Taylor's Bacon Bits Posted: February 06, 2012 at 12:07 PM (#4054547)
i hate to tell you this, but even if you're right, you'll still be wrong.

You see, now you're taking it personally when you shouldn't be. If you say something silly like that, I'm going to call you on it. Yes, I put Philly in the bottom half of the East playoff teams - you're the one who won't do overall predictions so it's a lot easier to pick out where the rest of us are wrong*. You said the Sixers were gonna beat the Heat last year's playoffs. You said before this year they would beat them this year. Whether or not I'm wrong about them**, so are you. Difference is, I can admit it.

*I said Washington was going to be decent this year, not make the playoffs, but that they were a year away. I think that was easily my worst prediction. That, or the Knicks winning their division.
**To be honest, I still say we need to wait and see some more. I've admitted they're better than I thought they would be; I've also said over and over they're built for the regular season and until the playoffs we don't know how good they actually are. So I don't know where you think I'm moving goalposts. Even as a Bulls fan, I wasn't convinced on the Bulls being good last year until later in the season. I'm very realistic of their limitations - they're still not better than Miami and aren't likely to beat them in the playoffs.

Marc Stein: Joel Przybilla update: He's still deliberating between Bulls and Heat. Decision was expected by now but he's still weighing his options

I'm not sure I see the appeal of Chicago from his perspective. At best, he's the 5th big man here (who knows how long it'll take Thibs to be convinced he knows enough to be ahead of Scal on the depth chart). He's also not the last piece that's going to push the Bulls over the Heat. Miami is the better team, has more playing time available, and is about 50 degrees warmer today.
   85. robinred Posted: February 06, 2012 at 12:19 PM (#4054558)
NBAonESPN The NBA on ESPN
RT @RoyceWebb: Older brother of Amare Stoudemire killed in car crash. Amare out for tonight's game.
   86. andrewberg Posted: February 06, 2012 at 12:31 PM (#4054575)
Miami is the better team, has more playing time available, and is about 50 degrees warmer today.

He's from MN, has played a big chunk of his career in Milwaukee, and has talked in the past about wanting to stay closer to home. I imagine that is the primary allure of Chicago.

Lots of talk in Seattle the last couple of days that a new arena is a realistic possibility. There was a story in the Seattle Times that documents got leaked indicating that the city is pretty far along the planning process with a 40-something hedge fund manager who is worth about a billion dollars. He would build the arena in the old Kingdome area, south of Safeco field where there is now mostly warehouses and some industrial buildings. Most of the infrastructure (buses, parking, freeway access) is already there. The idea is to bring in the Kings and possibly Coyotes as soon as next year and have them play in Key Arena for 2 seasons while the new arena is built. That certainly seems like a better deal than the Kings have in Sacto, as long as the arena gets green-lit.
   87. Fear is Moses Taylor's Bacon Bits Posted: February 06, 2012 at 01:10 PM (#4054630)
WojYahooNBA: NBA has suspended Lakers coach Mike Brown for Monday's game in Philly, league source tells Y! Brown was ejected in Saturday loss to Utah.

HowardBeckNYT: Reports from Knicks shootaround are that Jeremy Lin will get his first start tonight, with Jeffries replacing the absent Stoudemire.
   88. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 06, 2012 at 01:15 PM (#4054639)

You see, now you're taking it personally when you shouldn't be.
yeah, that must be my mistake, that when someone follows me around for months, shitting on whatever optimism i happen to show, that when said optimism turns out to be well-founded, and when said shitter continues defecating all over it, it's my fault for calling him out on it.

you're the one who won't do overall predictions so it's a lot easier to pick out where the rest of us are wrong
that's not entirely true. while i don't take part in prediction contests (and that's not an NBA thing, i don't it for baseball or football, either), i do put myself out there on some things, specifically with regard to potential draftees.

You said the Sixers were gonna beat the Heat last year's playoffs.
i could be wrong about this as my memory is not so good in this area, but i find it hard to believe that i would have said anything more than what i say now--they have a shot. one thing i do remember quite well is that i was much, much more optimistic about a potential 1st round matchup with the celtics than i was with the actual matchup against the heat.

and maybe i'm misinterpreting my own words, but what i'm saying now isn't a guarantee of sixers victory in the postseason against the heat, so much as it's an acknowledgment of the fact that, though the final scores are decidedly lopsided, the actual games are much more close. and what's more, though the final scores do not show it, each time they play, the sixers raise their level of play to, not quite match, but to match up against, the intensity of the heat.
   89. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: February 06, 2012 at 01:30 PM (#4054658)
RT @RoyceWebb: Older brother of Amare Stoudemire killed in car crash. Amare out for tonight's game.
Horrible.

The idea is to bring in the Kings and possibly Coyotes as soon as next year and have them play in Key Arena for 2 seasons while the new arena is built. That certainly seems like a better deal than the Kings have in Sacto, as long as the arena gets green-lit.
Anything is better than what the Kings have now. If the rumors are true, I would expect the guys from the Honda Center in Anaheim to start making more competitive bids, but it wouldn't be much fun to move into a market where there are now already two NBA teams that matter.
   90. andrewberg Posted: February 06, 2012 at 01:32 PM (#4054661)
and maybe i'm misinterpreting my own words

No offense, but when you say they "have a shot," it sounds like you're hedging so nobody can say you're wrong but you can still say that you were right about them if they win. I don't really care what you predict or don't, but I think that is part of what people are reacting to.
   91. robinred Posted: February 06, 2012 at 01:35 PM (#4054663)
Seattle seems like a good fit for the Kings if they don't stay in Sacto. If it were to happen, that would be a road stop for OKC where they would not be seen as a "fun young team" that a lot of people will be rooting for late in post-season assuming their own team is out.
   92. andrewberg Posted: February 06, 2012 at 01:37 PM (#4054668)
Seattle seems like a good fit for the Kings if they don't stay in Sacto. If it were to happen, that would be a road stop for OKC where they would not be seen as a "fun young team" that a lot of people will be rooting for late in post-season assuming their own team is out.

Yeah, that's probably fair to say. The attorney who is working on floating construction bonds taught 3 of my law school classes.
   93. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: February 06, 2012 at 02:09 PM (#4054706)
No offense, but when you say they "have a shot," it sounds like you're hedging so nobody can say you're wrong but you can still say that you were right about them if they win. I don't really care what you predict or don't, but I think that is part of what people are reacting to.
i think you're reading too much into it. if the sixers get decimated by the heat 4-0 losing by 20 ppg, i'm gonna be wrong whether i say what i'm saying right now, or if i predict an outright victory.

i see something between these two teams. i see that when they play, the heat are at their absolute best. and i see that, when the heat are at their absolute best, the sixers can keep pace. to this point, they've only kept pace, and even at that, they've kept pace only for stretches. but i've seen that they can do it, and i have confidence that they can do more.

i say they have a shot because i believe they have a shot. no more, no less. i try not to spout off things that i don't believe, and if i said anything stronger about the sixers chances against the heat, it would be a level of bombast that i am not yet comfortable with (note: this is in reference to the heat. w/r/t the bulls, i am quite a bit more confident in my bombast).
   94. Fear is Moses Taylor's Bacon Bits Posted: February 06, 2012 at 02:29 PM (#4054732)
yeah, that must be my mistake, that when someone follows me around for months, shitting on whatever optimism i happen to show, that when said optimism turns out to be well-founded, and when said shitter continues defecating all over it, it's my fault for calling him out on it.

I don't see how commenting on at most 1 out of every 10 of your Sixers posts, and only when they're over the top (come on, you have to see how your post about the Heat loss fueling the Sixers reads to non-Sixer fans), and on a freakin' message board is following you around. Unless you don't want anyone to respond to your comments, and then what's the point? I comment on everything here - I'm not only here to post about the Bulls. But since we're getting too meta here and talking about ourselves and not the teams, I'll stop. Feel free to have the last word if you'd like.
   95. Der-K, the bloodied charmer Posted: February 06, 2012 at 02:30 PM (#4054734)
Here's our friend Pelton's All-Star reserve picks:

East: Joe Johnson, Deron Williams, Andre Iguodala, Paul Pierce, Tyson Chandler, Ryan Anderson, Brandon Jennings
West: Kyle Lowry, Russell Westbrook, LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, Marc Gasol, James Harden, Paul Millsap

Did I italicize something to be argumentative? Maybe.

STEAGLES, would you mind quantifying 'have a shot'? What percent chance?
   96. Fear is Moses Taylor's Bacon Bits Posted: February 06, 2012 at 02:31 PM (#4054736)
HowardBeckNYT: Kevin Love suspended two games for stomping on Luis Scola, NBA announces. Will miss games Tues (vs. Sac) and Weds (at Memphis).

Scola tried selling the stomp - like he sells everything - but there was still intent there by Love. Everyone's got their buttons that can be pushed though.
   97. kpelton Posted: February 06, 2012 at 02:32 PM (#4054737)
This is the only place where Ryan Anderson won't be the italicized choice ...
   98. NJ in DC (Now unemployed!) Posted: February 06, 2012 at 02:33 PM (#4054739)
i see something between these two teams. i see that when they play, the heat are at their absolute best. and i see that, when the heat are at their absolute best, the sixers can keep pace. to this point, they've only kept pace, and even at that, they've kept pace only for stretches. but i've seen that they can do it, and i have confidence that they can do more.

You and I have entirely different definitions of keeping pace.
   99. NJ in DC (Now unemployed!) Posted: February 06, 2012 at 02:35 PM (#4054742)
East: Joe Johnson, Deron Williams, Andre Iguodala, Paul Pierce, Tyson Chandler, Ryan Anderson, Brandon Jennings
West: Kyle Lowry, Russell Westbrook, LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, Marc Gasol, James Harden, Paul Millsap

Don't get that one at all. Will check out the article and see the explanation.

EDIT: I would have gone with Irving
   100. Fear is Moses Taylor's Bacon Bits Posted: February 06, 2012 at 02:36 PM (#4054745)
I agree with Lowe's reasoning for Iggy over Deng. Deng isn't any better this year than last, and I hate that the NBA All-Star game is as much about how the team is doing as the individual.
Page 1 of 14 pages  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Randy Jones
for his generous support.