Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, June 01, 2012

OT: NBA Monthly Thread, June 2012

I estimate that only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, but with our own thread, we won’t detract from what the site is really about: overwrought, acrimonious discussions about having where to put the site’s overwrought, acrimonious discussions.

Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:58 AM | 2704 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: general

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 28 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›
   301. Yardape Posted: June 04, 2012 at 04:56 PM (#4148028)
I've come around to being fine with it, from a basketball/competitiveness point of view. I despise the Heat, but I think that's actually moreso because of Wade, actually.

In the ECF I find myself rooting for LeBron and against Wade. The Celtics are basically irrelevant. It does get confusing, though. Boston scores, and I can't remember if I'm happy or not.
   302. Booey Posted: June 04, 2012 at 04:58 PM (#4148032)
Bosh isn't ugly so much as he is funny looking. There's overlap (hi, Sam Cassell), but they're different things.

True. Rondo has a weird insectile/alien look to him, but he's not necessarily paticularly ugly. Bosh just looks like a catfish. If someone photo shopped a few of those fleshy barb whiskery thingy's that catfish have on his face, I doubt I would even notice.
   303. JuanGone..except1game Posted: June 04, 2012 at 04:59 PM (#4148034)
In basketball terms, did it bother you when Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady signed in Orlando? That one turned out to be a disaster, but at the time it sure looked like they'd set up an instant dynasty. Problem was that team also had Mike Miller. He always screws these things up.

Whose the 3rd guy coming out of that floor, Mike Miller, Darrell Armstrong or Bo Outlaw? Neverthless, not exactly an imposing threesome ready for a dynasty.

Bosh isn't ugly so much as he is funny looking. There's overlap (hi, Sam Cassell), but they're different things.

By law this conversation can't occur without a Tyrone Hill reference
   304. If on a winter's night a baserunner Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:01 PM (#4148038)
my guess would be that players today get better overall coaching as they are growing up, as the high school, AAU and other ranks have become so much more intense

The impression I've gotten is that it's the opposite: the immense talent disparities and pressure to win has trickled down to younger and younger levels of play, to the point where there are all sorts of incentives to just ride kids' athleticism rather than suffer through mistakes while players develop their games in ways that will help long-term at the cost of short-term wins.
   305. jmurph Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:02 PM (#4148040)
In basketball terms, did it bother you when Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady signed in Orlando?

Was that the year Chicago ended up with Ron Mercer and...(?) after whiffing on Hill and McGrady? Or am I confusing years.

God, the NBA salary cap structure is so ridiculous.
   306. Conor Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:02 PM (#4148041)
What if Bosh (and Wade) had signed first? A few days before LeBron? Would he still have been bringing Bosh with him?

Isn't that how it went down?
   307. andrewberg Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:04 PM (#4148045)
In the ECF I find myself rooting for LeBron and against Wade. The Celtics are basically irrelevant. It does get confusing, though. Boston scores, and I can't remember if I'm happy or not.

Me too. If Lebron can somehow get a ring in a way that disgraces Wade, I'm all for it.
   308. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:05 PM (#4148046)
Now that Cassell's out of the league, is Bosh the ugliest guy in the NBA?

A little late to the party but yeah, no.
   309. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:06 PM (#4148051)
Was that the year Chicago ended up with Ron Mercer and...(?) after whiffing on Hill and McGrady? Or am I confusing years.

Duncan was also a FA that year. Yes, the Bulls signed Ron Mercer and Brad Miller, who was a decent backup plan. Mercer, not so much. Luckily, Krause corrected the Mercer signing by snaring Eddie Robinson the next year.
   310. jmurph Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:09 PM (#4148055)
Thanks Moses. That's right- Duncan/TMac were the main targets in Orlando, if I'm not mistaken.

I always liked Mercer, then again, I wasn't a Bulls fan hoping to land Duncan and Hill or MacGrady, so I understand why you wouldn't share the love.
   311. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:10 PM (#4148056)
I'm constantly amazed at the athleticism of relatively no-name NBA players like Mario Chalmers, who put up some moves last night that would have been seen only by the likes of an Elgin Baylor or an Oscar Robertson BITD.** But whether any of the teams in this year's Final Four could beat teams like the mid-80's Celtics or Lakers---I'm not sure about that at all. The question is how far sheer athleticism can go in overcoming a lack of focus or discipline.

OTOH when you look at the intensity of some of the recent defenses, I'm also not sure whether they might not have held down even the best of those 80's teams. I suspect that too many things about the game have changed to really know for sure.

**Not that I'm even remotely wishing to compare his overall skills to those two.
   312. Zipperholes Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:12 PM (#4148060)
I should add that the best rigged team from my POV would be this team:
I said at the time that if I were LeBron and Wade, I'd sign with the Lakers (or whoever they thought the best team at the time was) for the MLE/minimum.* Who cares about salary; they'll get tons in endorsements.

*Not really. But it would've been hilarious.
   313. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:14 PM (#4148062)
Me too. If Lebron can somehow get a ring in a way that disgraces Wade, I'm all for it.

Does it matter if he does that by sending a pusher and a tabloid photographer up to Wade's motel room in return for Kevin Durant deciding to go on a European vacation during the finals, or if he just decides to demand a trade to Chicago?
   314. AROM Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:14 PM (#4148063)
Bosh isn't ugly so much as he is funny looking.

His head is just too small for his body.

Whose the 3rd guy coming out of that floor, Mike Miller, Darrell Armstrong or Bo Outlaw? Neverthless, not exactly an imposing threesome ready for a dynasty.

Take what McGrady became, and add what Hill was when healthy for the Pistons. That's the best teammate pairing that doesn't include a PG or center from the end of Pippen/Jordan to the rise of Wade/James.

I don't remember the timing, but I find it impossible to believe the signings were independent. Part of working each deal would have been convincing each guy that the other was on board. I don't know if they coordinated that together or the team coordinated it, but I don't really see why it matters. These were among the first big free agent signings of the max salary era.

I've said it before, but the obvious way to keep superstars from teaming up is to keep the team cap but remove the max salary. Let a few superstars make 30 million like Michael did. There's no way he'll have a 30 million dollar teammate.
   315. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:18 PM (#4148072)
Good call, 308.

Is Shelden Williams still in the league?
   316. Zipperholes Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:25 PM (#4148081)
Duncan was also a FA that year. Yes, the Bulls signed Ron Mercer and Brad Miller, who was a decent backup plan. Mercer, not so much. Luckily, Krause corrected the Mercer signing by snaring Eddie Robinson the next year.
I lived in Chicago then, and holy smokes, that's all anyone talked about all summer. Signing Duncan and McGrady and winning another six titles. (Or Maybe it was Hill instead of McGrady?) The media and public talked about it like it was a done deal. Nobody (not just Chicago people) thought Duncan would resign with SA; I'm not sure why. Then when they lost all those guys one by one, they backed up the Brinks truck to Ron Mercer's house.
   317. smileyy Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:29 PM (#4148083)

OTOH when you look at the intensity of some of the recent defenses, I'm also not sure whether they might not have held down even the best of those 80's teams. I suspect that too many things about the game have changed to really know for sure.

The #1 thing that stands out at me when watching the Pre-Jordan NBA is the lack of defense. (Not that Jordan necessarily had anything to do with that, just wanted to frame eras)

Edit: It occurs to me that there might be a selection bias, but I feel like if I'm watching a game from that era, I'm probably watching a Finals or Conference Finals game, so I should be seeing some of the best teams of that era.
   318. nick swisher hygiene Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:37 PM (#4148095)
to celebrate anxious political correctness and the spirit of the NBA simultaneously, can we come up with a token ugly white guy?

Larry Bird has to be the ugliest superstar of all time, no?
   319. Booey Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:38 PM (#4148096)
I said at the time that if I were LeBron and Wade, I'd sign with the Lakers (or whoever they thought the best team at the time was) for the MLE/minimum.*

That's what Malone and Payton did in 2003. Difference is, they were, what, 40 and 35(?) and had exhausted any chance they had of winning a title as a #1 option or with their current teams. Ditto with Barkley in '96 signing on a Houston team that already had Olajuwon and Drexler.

If some people see a difference between LeBron and Bosh joining Wade compared to Garnett and Allen joining Pierce, age might be it. Ringchasing in your 30's is a bit more defensible than giving up early and doing it in your 20's.
   320. Fourth True Outcome Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:39 PM (#4148097)
Any all-ugly discussion really needs to include Al Jefferson too.

DraftExpress just added Best Case/Worst Case comparisons to all of the top prospects for the draft. Who knows how accurate these are, but it's fun to consider Anthony Davis as "Blake Griffin meets Tyson Chandler" or Meyers Leonard bottoming out as the second coming of Byron Mullens.
   321. smileyy Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:40 PM (#4148098)
[318]: We got there with [308] and Troy Murphy.

I wanted to bring up Chris Anderson, but I think he looks a lot better than he did when he entered the league (more due to bulking up and scowling than anything esle)
   322. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:43 PM (#4148100)
[320] Thanks for the link. Drummond's worst case is DeAndre Jordan (best case is Ibaka). This seems a little weird to me both in that I don't think we really know what Jordan is yet and in that I don't consider his career to date to be a bust. Maybe I overrate Jordan a bit but ISTM that as we've talked about Drummond could end up much, much worse than that in Thabeet land or whatever.
   323. AROM Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:44 PM (#4148103)
Bird is not even the ugliest white superstar on his team. That would be Herman Munster.
   324. Booey Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:44 PM (#4148105)
to celebrate anxious political correctness and the spirit of the NBA simultaneously, can we come up with a token ugly white guy?

Well, I mentioned Hedo Turkoglu and #308 posted a ghastly pic of Troy Murphy. Pau Gasol looks like a hobo on human growth hormone.

Larry Bird has to be the ugliest superstar of all time, no?

Possibly, but Patrick Ewing, Scottie Pippen, and Reggie Miller are in the dicussion for sure.

Ugliest team of all time has to be between the 80's Celtics (Bird, McHale, Parrish, DJ) and the 2002 Kings, right? (Turkoglu, Bibby, Divac, Bobby Jackson)

325. tshipman Posted: June 04, 2012 at 05:56 PM (#4148112)
[320] Thanks for the link. Drummond's worst case is DeAndre Jordan (best case is Ibaka). This seems a little weird to me both in that I don't think we really know what Jordan is yet and in that I don't consider his career to date to be a bust. Maybe I overrate Jordan a bit but ISTM that as we've talked about Drummond could end up much, much worse than that in Thabeet land or whatever.

Drummond's worst case should 100% be Andris Biedrins.

MKG's best case is Andre Iguodala and his worst case is Gerald Wallace.

Iguodala has 61 win shares for his career. Gerald Wallace has 55--and the EXACT same WS/48. Bit of an absurdly narrow spectrum.
   326. Fourth True Outcome Posted: June 04, 2012 at 06:15 PM (#4148127)
I haven't looked at too many of those, as my employer seems to like it when I'm productive, but a lot of the worst case scenarios seem to be soft-peddling the downside. They also seem to be erring on the side of picking current guys, which gives a nice current snapshot, but many current players are still moving targets themselves.
   327. smileyy Posted: June 04, 2012 at 06:18 PM (#4148133)
There's no discussion of Best/Worst methodology. Is it pulled out of the ass? Is it similar college roles/stats? Is it similar bodies? Is "best/worst" the 1% chance? The 10% chance? The 33% chance?
   328. JJ1986 Posted: June 04, 2012 at 06:20 PM (#4148135)
Gerald Wallace isn't anyone's worst case. He's probably above the 50th percentile for MKG.
   329. nick swisher hygiene Posted: June 04, 2012 at 06:22 PM (#4148139)
the DE thing works best as a trivia game IMO:

eg--"6'8" Aaron Afflalo"

is this best or worst, and for whom?
   330. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 04, 2012 at 06:33 PM (#4148149)
"6'8" Aaron Afflalo"

is this best or worst, and for whom?

I think they're saying that's the best case scenario for Afflalo - growing 5 inches.
   331. tshipman Posted: June 04, 2012 at 06:33 PM (#4148151)
Gerald Wallace isn't anyone's worst case. He's probably above the 50th percentile for MKG.

He's the exact same guy as Andre Iguodala!!!! That's what makes zero sense.

It'd be like if someone said that a player's best case scenario is Ray Allen and his worst case is Reggie Miller. Or best case scenario Antawn Jamison, worst case scenario Rashard Lewis. They're like the same person!
   332. Jimmy P Posted: June 04, 2012 at 06:37 PM (#4148152)
Drummond's worst case should 100% be Andris Biedrins.

No, it should be Thabeet.

MKG's best case is Andre Iguodala and his worst case is Gerald Wallace.

I would think his worst case would be someone crazily athletic that didn't make an All-Star team. Darius Miles?

I mean, if we're going worst case, then they have to be bad, right? Because, saying MKG is at worst an All-Star level player (which Crash was in his prime) means he's a can't miss. And that's not true. Unlikely, but he's not a can't miss.
   333. tshipman Posted: June 04, 2012 at 06:40 PM (#4148154)
No, it should be Thabeet.

Well, if you want to get really reductive, every big's worst case scenario is Hasheem Thabeet because Thabeet is the worst draft pick of the last 10 years.

Edit: I said Biedrins because the poor FT shooting has completely ruined his career.
   334. andrewberg Posted: June 04, 2012 at 06:42 PM (#4148155)
How about best/worst for MKG being Pippen/Desmond Mason? I agree that Wallace is probably a pretty desirable outcome for him.
   335. Jimmy P Posted: June 04, 2012 at 06:42 PM (#4148156)
Well, if you want to get really reductive, every big's worst case scenario is Hasheem Thabeet because Thabeet is the worst draft pick of the last 10 years.

True. But is there proof that Drummond really knows how to play basketball? Thabeet's issue wasn't skill (although he was lacking compared to his peers). His problem(s) were that he has zero clue where to go and what to do on the court, and he's not really motivated. Isn't that Drummond?
   336. tshipman Posted: June 04, 2012 at 06:45 PM (#4148158)
True. But is there proof that Drummond really knows how to play basketball? Thabeet's issue wasn't skill (although he was lacking compared to his peers). His problem(s) were that he has zero clue where to go and what to do on the court, and he's not really motivated. Isn't that Drummond?

Thabeet was 22 when he came out, and Drummond is 18. Drummond also was better than Thabeet before coming out. I went into this on the last thread, but I really don't think it's fair to compare the two guys, mostly due to the age difference.

Thabeet never had much of a chance given his age. Drummond is raw, but has some definite NBA-level skills (offensive rebounding, shot blocking).
   337. Fourth True Outcome Posted: June 04, 2012 at 06:49 PM (#4148162)
If you want to get well and truly reductive (and a more than a bit crass), isn't every player's worst case scenario Len Bias?
   338. smileyy Posted: June 04, 2012 at 06:49 PM (#4148163)
Thabeet was 22 when he came out, and Drummond is 18.

I feel like teams pay much closer attention to age than they did in the era when more and more underclassmen and eventually high school players were just starting to enter the draft. Do people think drafting has improved in other identifiable ways?
   339. smileyy Posted: June 04, 2012 at 06:50 PM (#4148164)

If you want to get well and truly reductive (and a more than a bit crass), isn't every player's worst case scenario Len Bias?

To have Bill Simmons fantasize about what could have been for two decades? No, that's every fan's worst case scenario :)
   340. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: June 04, 2012 at 07:05 PM (#4148175)
Biedrins was quite a bit better at that age than Drummond is - particularly on the boards.
Admittedly, the age thing makes Thabeet/Drummond comparisons unfair.

341. Fourth True Outcome Posted: June 04, 2012 at 08:17 PM (#4148291)
Primer RT:

@KevinArnovitz: Just filed to ESPN.com: Neil Olshey will not be returning to Clippers. Sources close to negotiations say he'll be POR GM.
   342. Fourth True Outcome Posted: June 04, 2012 at 08:18 PM (#4148293)
Guess the tiger that is the Clippers can't change its stripes while Sterling is in charge. Keeping Del Negro and losing Olshey is exactly wrong, I think
   343. PJ Martinez Posted: June 04, 2012 at 08:55 PM (#4148367)
@jksports ESPN Heat-Celtics: record 7.9 rating, best ever for NBA game on cable. Peaked at a 10.7 in OT. Locally, 20.7 in Boston, 19.8 Miami
   344. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 04, 2012 at 09:08 PM (#4148389)
@netw3rk
"After a conversation with Donald Sterling in which he was nude & referred to me as 'Neil Olsen' I decided to take the Blazer job." - Olshey

Retweeted by John Hollinger
   345. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 04, 2012 at 09:38 PM (#4148424)
The Spurs have played 11 different guys in the first 13 minutes - if VDN (for example) did that, he'd get hammered for it.
   346. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 04, 2012 at 09:55 PM (#4148462)
It feels like Pops is trying to find a lineup that can slow down OKC. Man, I really thought the Spurs were going to roll after the first two games.
   347. smileyy Posted: June 04, 2012 at 10:01 PM (#4148475)
I think that's the fun part about this series -- both teams can be unstoppable.
   348. JC in DC Posted: June 04, 2012 at 10:01 PM (#4148476)
G'damn, this is gonna be a hell of a comeback by SA.
   349. tshipman Posted: June 04, 2012 at 10:09 PM (#4148486)
"After a conversation with Donald Sterling in which he was nude & referred to me as 'Neil Olsen' I decided to take the Blazer job." - Olshey

Wow. Really? Wow. That's amazing. That's like Rasheed level amazing.

Neil Olshey smokes the objective pipe.
   350. smileyy Posted: June 04, 2012 at 10:21 PM (#4148509)
Neil Olshey doesn't want anything to do with pipes after seeing Donald Sterling's.
   351. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: June 04, 2012 at 10:25 PM (#4148516)
Wow. Really? Wow.

Perhaps my sarcasm detector is on the fritz, but no, not really, that's made up.
   352. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: June 04, 2012 at 10:40 PM (#4148535)
This series is just awesome to watch.
   353. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 04, 2012 at 10:45 PM (#4148544)
Great stretch of basketball over the past few minutes.
   354. Spivey Posted: June 04, 2012 at 10:49 PM (#4148548)
GINOBILI IS GOING APESHIT
   355. smileyy Posted: June 04, 2012 at 10:53 PM (#4148553)
ESPN has Ginobili at +17 and Harden at +18 right now.
   356. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 04, 2012 at 10:57 PM (#4148555)
Fun NBA Fact - neither Kendrick Perkins nor Tony Parker has ever committed a foul in the NBA.

Sources: Tony Parker, Kendrick Perkins
   357. Spivey Posted: June 04, 2012 at 10:57 PM (#4148556)
Tony Parker has not played well. And neither has Neil. I like them both, but they've been bad.
   358. JC in DC Posted: June 04, 2012 at 10:58 PM (#4148558)
WTF is Neal giving SA? If you're a Spurs fan, you've got to be happy Brooks is giving Fisher so much play.
   359. Spivey Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:00 PM (#4148560)
Neil is a really good shooter that can guard the PG position. But if he can't shoot, he shouldn't be in.
   360. tshipman Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:01 PM (#4148561)
Perhaps my sarcasm detector is on the fritz, but no, not really, that's made up.

:(
   361. Spivey Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:03 PM (#4148562)
The Spurs really pissed away that run they had. I think that charge on Leonard was horseshit though. If refs are going to be so bad/inconsistent on charges, they just need to get rid of it. Also, Reggie Miller is a really stupid mammal.
   362. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:03 PM (#4148563)
Watching Durant is like watching a video game character who is a little too good for the game, a la Jeremy Roenick in NHL '95 or QB Eagles.
   363. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:04 PM (#4148565)
Also, Reggie Miller is a really stupid mammal.

We should all start a petition to get Chris Webber in the booth.
   364. tshipman Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:06 PM (#4148568)
I deeply, deeply love Popovich's sideline interviews.

"We competed."

"Same thing."
   365. JC in DC Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:06 PM (#4148569)
I think Miller is fine. What's the specific complaint about him?

I agree on the BS charge call. Whatever happened to the bucket being good if the ball is out of the player's hand before the contact?
   366. Spivey Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:07 PM (#4148571)
Ginobili is playing out of his ####### mind.
   367. JC in DC Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:08 PM (#4148572)
Some Spur should show some heart. It's Ginobili by himself.
   368. Spivey Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:10 PM (#4148573)

Everything he says is stupid, basically. Even when something he says is right, he makes you seriously question it. He's just an idiot. And given the fact he couldn't do anything besides shoot jump shots in the NBA explains why he doesn't understand basketball.
   369. Spivey Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:11 PM (#4148574)
Duncan has been invisible, Parker has been a minus, and there's not a single role player besides Leonard who has done a single thing I can remember that's impressive.
   370. Zipperholes Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:12 PM (#4148575)
He doesn't say anything to enlighten me about what's going on. He's basically just a fan. And his catchphrases are cringe-worthy in their cheesiness, but that's just a minor annoyance.
   371. JC in DC Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:12 PM (#4148576)
Perkins has really bothered Duncan. Just pushing him off the box, being real phsyical. I'm almost embarrassed for Duncan. It's past time for him to find something that can help his team.
   372. Spivey Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:13 PM (#4148577)
I've actually been pretty unimpressed by Kerr too as far as announcing goes. I don't know if I was just wrong then, but I used to think highly of him back in the day. I do wonder if being a GM has changed anything, he certainly seems to be way more party line than I expected. I wonder if these announcers get mandates about this stuff. Someone bringing up JVG not talking on LeBron's 6th last night made me wonder about this.
   373. tshipman Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:16 PM (#4148581)
The difference between Jackson guarding Durant and everyone else guarding him is night and day.
   374. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:17 PM (#4148583)
Good timeout there by Brooks. Spurs have been getting good looks, no reason to let them get momentum.
   375. Spivey Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:17 PM (#4148584)
The difference between Jackson guarding Durant and everyone else guarding him is night and day.

I think Leonard is solid on him too, but I tend to agree. Jackson makes some stupid plays and gives Durant easy baskets. But against most of the guys, he's getting easy baskets every play.
   376. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:25 PM (#4148591)
Why didn't Durant touch the ball on those last two possessions?
   377. tshipman Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:30 PM (#4148594)
That foul on Westbrook is BS. I hate that style of play.
   378. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:30 PM (#4148596)
What an embarrassing flop there by Parker. Smart, I guess, but a flop nonetheless.
   379. Fourth True Outcome Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:31 PM (#4148597)
And Reggie's announcing is emblematic of my problem with him. He doesn't need to go JVG ballistic about it, but if you're going to show me two replays in slow-mo, at least call a flop a flop. I'm not sure I've ever heard him say anything genuinely insightful or critical, which is all I want out of a color guy.
   380. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:33 PM (#4148598)
The Spurs are just clinical. A little cynical, a lot clinical, and Ginobili makes it all fun to watch.
   381. tshipman Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:33 PM (#4148599)
Perkins fouling out is great news ... for the Thunder!
   382. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:33 PM (#4148600)
Why was Perkins even in the game?
   383. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:34 PM (#4148601)
Give the ball to Durant!

edit: Or, um, Harden, I guess.
   384. Spivey Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:38 PM (#4148602)
How was that last touched by OKC?

Edit: Actually that's pretty close. I love the dig by Leonard there, but it looks 50/50.
   385. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:39 PM (#4148603)
Spurs played that perfectly off the made layup.
   386. Spivey Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:40 PM (#4148604)
This game's been tons of fun.
   387. Spivey Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:43 PM (#4148605)
Well that looks like the end of it.
   388. Phil Coorey is a T-Shirt Salesman Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:43 PM (#4148606)
This has been so much fun to watch and follow the draft thread at the same time!!
   389. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:43 PM (#4148607)
What was supposed to happen on that last play? Either way, terrible waste of the most important possession by the Spurs - or great defense to stop it by the Thunder. Couldn't quite see what happened.
   390. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:44 PM (#4148608)
I thought Duncan was going to fire up a three on that last possession.
   391. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:45 PM (#4148610)
Spurs are winning game 6, book it.
   392. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:47 PM (#4148612)

I'll take that bet.
   393. Spivey Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:50 PM (#4148616)
OKC have made the big shots the last 3 games when they've had to.
   394. Spivey Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:52 PM (#4148617)
Parker and Neal were a combined 5-20 with 4 assists and 6 turnovers. They really sucked at point guard.
   395. tshipman Posted: June 04, 2012 at 11:58 PM (#4148619)

They looked pretty done in this game. They got very little from anyone not named Ginobili.
   396. baudib Posted: June 05, 2012 at 01:35 AM (#4148632)
Can someone (I suspect robin) explain how the NBA threads will work on the new site? Because I basically lost any interest in the baseball discussion on this site years ago and have no real reason to post here except for this thread, a couple of other off-topic threads, and the occasional baseball thread that morphs into an OT discussion that I'm interested in (movies, books, HOF quarterbacks, etc.)

397. baudib Posted: June 05, 2012 at 01:41 AM (#4148634)
I'm glad the Thunder have come back and taken the lead in the series, it has sort of restored my faith in humanity. Nothing against the Spurs but it seemed depressing to think that they would just roll to another title with three very good players, two of whom were past their peak, and a bunch of no-name role players. I mean, when you have Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc and a bunch of good role players and a great coach, I can understand how you dominate teams. I love Pop but I feel that the NBA is too over-coached as it is.

It didn't make any sense to me that a team with the frontline talent of the Thunder would get crushed so easily, nor did it make any sense to me that Ibaka, Collison, Perkins were rendered totally useless by San Antonio.

398. Ebessan Posted: June 05, 2012 at 02:01 AM (#4148637)
2002 Kings, right? (Turkoglu, Bibby, Divac, Bobby Jackson)

Doug Christie!
   399. baudib Posted: June 05, 2012 at 02:37 AM (#4148641)
Cool video of Pete Maravich playing HORSE against George Gervin.

HORSE
   400. baudib Posted: June 05, 2012 at 03:25 AM (#4148642)
Something I wanted to say about the Celtics, about a page or so back when someone was talking about the Cs being below their seasonal/career averages. Not only do playoff shooting percentage drop below norms because of facing better defense, but you're also facing better athletes on offense.

In other words, Pierce and Allen in particular are tasked with defending the best wing combo in the league, maybe in league history. Not only are they giving up size and athleticism, they are giving up years in age. We're now into mid-80s in games in a compressed schedule and that doesn't help, either. Look at what happened to Allen in the 2010 Finals; having to face Kobe so much on both ends pretty much destroyed him and after a historic Game 2, he was essentially worthless for the course of the Finals.

I remember in the Sixers series, someone predicted that Pierce would score 33 with 15 in the fourth quarter somewhere along the way. Not only didn't that happen, but the Celtics probably played their most dominant stretch of the series when Rondo took over after Pierce fouled out. Pierce fouling out has become a trend, and if he had his hands full with an athletic defender in Iguodala, he's had a world of hurt with LeBron.
Page 4 of 28 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Martin Hemner
for his generous support.