Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, June 01, 2012

OT: NBA Monthly Thread, June 2012

I estimate that only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, but with our own thread, we won’t detract from what the site is really about: overwrought, acrimonious discussions about having where to put the site’s overwrought, acrimonious discussions.

Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:58 AM | 2704 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: general

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 8 of 28 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >  Last ›
   701. JC in DC Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:15 PM (#4150435)
They didn't get Stern's flopping memo. OTOH, live by the flop, die by the flop. It couldn't happen to a floppier team than SA.
   702. Phil Coorey is a T-Shirt Salesman Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:16 PM (#4150436)
Are these offensive fouls for real? I'm not that good on the rule , seriously someone help me - they are ridiculous right?
   703. Spivey Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:16 PM (#4150437)
I told myself during the 2006 NBA Finals that I would never watch the NBA again...

If I knew heartbreak was coming, I would'a set out running.
   704. JC in DC Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:16 PM (#4150438)
Joe C and JC converging into one personality.
   705. Spivey Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:17 PM (#4150439)
You know, Harden flopped on that Ginobili charge, but after ten years of watching Ginobili do the very same thing at every opportunity, I don't really feel bad for him.

I'm sure this is why you agree it's been karma that Pierce's fat ass has fouled out half the games in the playoffs?
   706. JC in DC Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:17 PM (#4150440)
Are these offensive fouls for real? I'm not that good on the rule , seriously someone help me - they are ridiculous right?

Re-#######-diculous. I wish JVG were doing the game.
   707. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:17 PM (#4150441)
I laughed.
   708. Spivey Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:18 PM (#4150442)
This little black ref has a serious case of Napolean complex.
   709. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:18 PM (#4150443)
Primer RT:

@netw3rk: Harden flopping on Manu is some kind of karmic feedback loop.
   710. Phil Coorey is a T-Shirt Salesman Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:20 PM (#4150445)
Edit - me an idiot - thanks JC
   711. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:20 PM (#4150446)
I'm sure this is why you agree it's been karma that Pierce's fat ass has fouled out half the games in the playoffs?

It would be more fitting if he'd fouled out on the "fake the guy in the air and jump into him while taking a shot". Pierce is more of that kind of annoying than your standard issue Manu/Chris Paul/Battier "step into the lane and act like you've been shot" flopper.
   712. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:20 PM (#4150447)
That Fisher 3 looks familiar...
   713. Spivey Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:23 PM (#4150448)
It would be more fitting if he'd fouled out on the "fake the guy in the air and jump into him while taking a shot". Pierce is more of that kind of annoying than your standard issue Manu/Chris Paul/Battier "step into the lane and act like you've been shot" flopped.

Don't ####### tell me that Pierce doesn't love the drive, realize the guy has cut off his lane, and then flail terribly halfway into the drive. Don't ####### tell me he doesn't do that religiously.
   714. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:23 PM (#4150449)
And, no, half those calls against Pierce weren't even fouls anyway. ;-)
   715. Spivey Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:26 PM (#4150452)
The refs should all go drink cyanide, but besides that, I'm surprised the Spurs haven't played more of the the Parker/Ginobili/Jackson/Leonard/Duncan lineup. It seems to clearly be their best lineup.
   716. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:27 PM (#4150453)
Don't ####### tell me that Pierce doesn't love the drive, realize the guy has cut off his lane, and then flail terribly halfway into the drive. Don't ####### tell me he doesn't do that religiously.

A close cousin to the play I described; I can't deny he does that. Different kind of flop, though. Harden's flop was just like the type Manu does, hence the "karmic" aspect. Eh, whatever, they all flop.

Man, I still hate Derek Fisher.
   717. JJ1986 Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:27 PM (#4150454)
Why is Perkins in the game?
   718. Zipperholes Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:29 PM (#4150456)
Why is Bonner not out there? Danny Green?
   719. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:29 PM (#4150457)
34, 13, and 5 for Durant. He's arrived, I guess.
   720. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:30 PM (#4150458)
Amazing. Year 1 of the OKC dynasty is 2012.
   721. PJ Martinez Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:31 PM (#4150459)
   722. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:33 PM (#4150462)
34, 13, and 5 for Durant. He's arrived, I guess.

And played every single minute. What an impressive performance.
   723. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:35 PM (#4150463)
This series seemed to be played on a different level from the rest of the playoffs thus far. Though tonight's game had some sketchy moments, OKC earned its trip to the Finals.
   724. Spivey Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:35 PM (#4150464)
When people 40 years from now are watching basketball on grainy 2D HD I hope they realize how much pain I wish on Derek Fisher.
   725. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:35 PM (#4150465)
PJ, that's easily the funniest thing I've seen since "good job, good effort!"

The best part of it is Duncan looking at both of them like "what the hell just happened here?"
   726. tshipman Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:39 PM (#4150466)
Durant with the Marathon game--48min.

In general, OKC with only 8 guys logging minutes and Collison only getting 7 min. Brooks really shortened his rotations for the close-out.
   727. Spivey Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:39 PM (#4150467)
OKC "earned" it, but if the Spurs got the same calls in Game 5 that OKC got in Game 6 then there would be a Game 7. This is the entire reason why the whole "Well shitty calls for the home team is why you play for HCA" argument has been bullshit to me. Because it means you need to expect bad calls, and then when there aren't bad calls that's somehow injustice. OKC did not outplay the Spurs tonight. Parker wasn't very good in the second half, and neither was Duncan. I don't remember Ginobili doing a ton in the second half either.
   728. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:39 PM (#4150471)
Primer RT

@TreyKirby: Russell Westbrook is going to wear an Oriental rug tonight to celebrate.
   729. Joey B. Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:41 PM (#4150472)
This series seemed to be played on a different level from the rest of the playoffs thus far.

This. I'm not a huge NBA fan, but this was sublime basketball.

And the way OKC just reeled off four straight against a team that looked nearly invincible a week ago? Holy crap, I'm impressed. This truly could be a big time dynasty in the making.
   730. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:44 PM (#4150475)
And the way OKC just reeled off four straight against a team that looked nearly invincible a week ago? Holy crap, I'm impressed. This truly could be a big time dynasty in the making.

Never mind their best four players are 23, 23, and 22, and 22.
   731. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:49 PM (#4150477)
Sadly, the last night on Inside the NBA of the season.
   732. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:51 PM (#4150479)
Thunder looked awesome. Never panicked, and never were really out of the game, even when down almost 20. Amazing close out, and IIRC their last 2 buckets were from Fisher and Perkins.

---

The officiating down the stretch was terribly one sided. In addition to the other plays pointed out, Parker didn't even touch Westbrook on the and-1 at the end there. Westbrook literally fell backwards because he had to reach back to get the ball under the backboard. And it was Joey Crawford on the baseline that called the foul. Totally unacceptable.

---

Never mind their best four players are 23, 23, and 22, and 22.

Most folks tend to think they're not going to be able to pay both Ibaka and Harden, even if they amnesty Perkins. So, enjoy it while it lasts.

---

Multiple times throughout this series Marv would talk about the Spurs record and say "Due to a tiebreaker, the Spurs had the top overall seed over the Chicago Bulls." That was incorrect - irrelevant, but still wrong. The Bulls beat the Spurs (in SA) in their only meeting, and thus the Bulls had the tie breaker. Considering how the playoffs went this year (and last), I'm going to hang my hat on the top overall seed 2 years in a row and not even Marv ####### Albert can take that away from me.
   733. PJ Martinez Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:58 PM (#4150480)
@ESPNStatsInfo OKC Thunder are first West team not named Spurs, Lakers or Mavs to reach Finals in 14 years. Beat all three to get there.
   734. Spivey Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:04 AM (#4150482)
I'm glad that to my knowledge we don't have any Thunder fans, because I have to reiterate that the Thunder won due to calls. And I think the idea of the Spurs flopping and it evening out... Well tell me the series the spurs won or the years the Spurs won titles due to that and let us have a frank discussion on it. I think saying a team deserved to have the calls go their way is poor form.
   735. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:05 AM (#4150483)
Leverage is relative. The Heat can't offer Dwight a reasonable contract on the open market-- if they want him, it has to be via trade, and that means they are at the mercy of any demands the Magic care to make. I don't think it's unreasonable for the Magic to judge that Wade and Bosh with an underwhelming support cast and Turkoglu albatrossing their cap space cannot really contend*. If you were acting Heat GM and were given explicit assurances that no deal would be accepted unless a) Turkoglu left also and b) Reddick, Nelson, Anderson stayed, would you pull the trigger?

* FWIW, my take is that that team would be a solid playoff team, but not a true contender. About on par with the Pacers, but with less room for internal growth.

Either you're criminally underrating one of Wade or Bosh or you're criminally overrating Anderson/underrating Turkoglu's contract's negative value. Everything we know about Orlando (and we don't know who the GM is) is that the owner does not want to rebuild and a team built around Bosh and Wade isn't that far from contention. I think I agree with your rating of that new Orlando team, but a higher ceiling than Indy because both Wade and Bosh are better than anyone on Indiana right now.

There are 28 other teams, all of whom would love to have Dwight in the middle. I'm not saying Dwight's impending free agency doesn't undermine the Magic's position: it obviously does, badly. In any two party situation, they're totally effed. But this is not that, and so they are only sort of effed. Off the top of my head, they can try to get an offer centered on Bynum and use that as leverage against the Heat; Daryl Morey will work feverishly trying to get a competitive package together; there has been internet speculation (which is all this is, after all. I don't know of any actual or even "actual" NBA sources saying a word to link the Heat and Magic.) about a Blake Griffin-centered package, too. There are all manner of possibilities, but I am not a GM and do not particularly want to go down speculative rabbit holes.

Look: my initial point was simply that I would be shocked if the Magic traded Dwight without including Hedo in the package. I think that given the sheer value of Dwight and the multilateral nature of NBA trade talks, they can swing that much.

The Magic were thisclose to trading Howard to NJ for a package that included Brook Lopez and Marshawn Brooks as the headliners without Hedo in the deal (and no pick, since NJ already dealt that for Wallace). How do all they all of a sudden have the ability to pull off that much better of a deal in nearly the exact same situation (it's better now since it's the offseason and the new team has Dwight all season, but now he's a FA and the new team can't even get the Chris Paul one year extra out of the deal guarantee)? If anything, I thought I was going to be criticized for having Miami give up too much, not the other way around.

And in none of the other potential deals are the Magic getting anyone nearly as good as Wade and arguably no one as good as Bosh (that caveat is for a Lakers deal involving Bynum and Gasol and I just don't know that I see the Lakers considering that). But where were all these other great deals this season when the Magic were working with the Nets? Dwight has leverage, he can control where he ends up (if the Magic want full value that is), so before any possible deal happens - including my Miami pipe dream - he'd have to sign off. ####, if he really wanted to go to Miami, he could potentially make it happen for less than what I'm proposing. The only reason I think Miami would even think about this for more than a minute is if they're trying to make a huge splash after losing in the ECF. I just cannot fathom how Orlando can be offered 2 All Star starters but have the ability to say "You have to take this horrible contract too". The trade machine sees my deal as a win for Orlando even, and that doesn't include the chemistry/role stuff I'm building into the deal to make it seem better from Miami's perspective.
   736. Booey Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:06 AM (#4150484)
And it was Joey Crawford on the baseline that called the foul. Totally unacceptable.

Of course it was. Why he's still allowed to call Spurs playoff games considering his past history with that team is just mind boggling.

But congrats to OKC and their fans. Winning 4 straight against a team that had won 20 in a row and 31 of 33 deserves major, major props. I really thought they were done after game 2.

Here's hoping Durant, Westbrook, Beard, and co put an absolute beatdown on whichever form of evil makes it out of the east (and if Fisher has to get another ring in the process, well, I guess I'll just have to stomach that).
   737. tshipman Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:09 AM (#4150485)
@ESPNStatsInfo OKC Thunder are first West team not named Spurs, Lakers or Mavs to reach Finals in 14 years. Beat all three to get there.

Wow! that's crazy. Unrelated: This thread is so good on game nights. Can't imagine watching playoffs without it now.

Kudos to all involved. PS I am drunk.
   738. Booey Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:10 AM (#4150486)

Yeah, I noticed that too. Crazy to think that the last Western team to make the Finals other than those 3 was the Jazz back in '98 during Jordan's last championship run. Seems like forever ago.
   739. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:14 AM (#4150488)
It couldn't happen to a floppier team than SA.

If Miami loses tomorrow night in part because the calls went against them, this thesis will be proven wrong.
   740. rr Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:19 AM (#4150491)
Creative thinking, but I can't see any way Riley trades Bosh and Wade for a guy coming off back surgery, and AFAIK, the Griffin rumors are just guys like Broussard playing keyboard GM--particularly since neither ORL nor LAC actually has a real GM at the moment.

As far as the Lakers, I have no idea what, if anything, they will do, but IMO the only way they would consider Bynum and Gasol for Howard is if Howard proves he is healthy and exactly the same as he was, and he says he wants to play in LA long-term. The first is unknown and the second is very doubtful.
   741. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:36 AM (#4150497)
If "ThunderStruck" isn't the worst basketball movie ever made I will be shocked. The Thunder should never win another game, ever.

RT @GaryPayton_20: Wait, is that Durant movie for real?! Im not sure if that was a joke
   742. steagles Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:44 AM (#4150500)
the NBA draft combine will be tomorrow.

from a pure measurements perspective, i think the things i'll be most interested to see are the height/wingspan of jared sullinger, and the wingspans of arnett moultrie and tyler zeller. i'm also kind of curious at what fab melo, festus ezeli, henry sims, and meyers leonard look like in the drills.

oh, and royce white. everything to do with royce white.
   743. baudib Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:05 AM (#4150503)
A lot of people are projecting the Sixers to take...wait for it...a wing player.
   744. baudib Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:06 AM (#4150504)
Durant is dead sexy. Durant-Harden may be the most entertaining duo I've ever seen.

745. smileyy Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:25 AM (#4150510)
Most folks tend to think they're not going to be able to pay both Ibaka and Harden, even if they amnesty Perkins. So, enjoy it while it lasts.

Durant, Westbrook and Harden could be Duncan, Parker and Ginobili if the Thunder evaluate talent well, and make the right drafts and trades. They've done fairly well with that so far.

IOW, it wouldn't surprise me if they let Ibaka walk or flip him for other pieces.
   746. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:36 AM (#4150513)
This is obviously Simmons territory, and I don't feel all that comfortable here. But my view of Simmons' psychology stuff is that while he gives it FAR too much emphasis analytically, there is also at times a kernel of truth in it.

Soon, your journey to the dark green side will be complete.
   747. PJ Martinez Posted: June 07, 2012 at 07:42 AM (#4150540)
"Miami is shooting 20 percent better from the field when Garnett goes to the bench."
   748. PJ Martinez Posted: June 07, 2012 at 08:51 AM (#4150560)
Can't remember if we discussed this already: Bosh for Gasol?

(Note: Miami trade speculation should not be taken to mean that I think the result of tonight's game -- or the Finals, for that matter -- is at all a given. Very much up in the air, from my perspective.)
   749. JC in DC Posted: June 07, 2012 at 09:06 AM (#4150570)
Does the trade speculation here reflect a view that Miami needs to blow things up if they lose? I just don't see it. No knock on Spoelstra, but this is a great team that is damn near the Finals again. Whether it's a new coach, or some new supplementary pieces, I'd be inclined to let them (the Big Three) go at it again.
   750. Spivey Posted: June 07, 2012 at 09:36 AM (#4150577)
I think the Howard trade would be good (if you think he's healthy, I don't know enough on that front), but obviously isn't going to happen. So beyond that, I agree that they shouldn't be blowing anything up. You do have to worry a tiny bit that Wade may never have another year like he did this year. By the same token, Bosh can probably absorb a bit more usage if that happens. I think a big question for them is if they can hit on some role players, or if Haslem/Miller bounce back. All contenders have that question though.

I remember last year a lot of people (including some in this thread) were discussing if OKC needed to trade Westbrook after he had a bad playoff series. The Spurs and Boston core have stayed very good far longer than anyone expected. I think if you have a core that you know can contend for championships (and Miami does), you keep it unless there's an overwhelming reason not to. I think the biggest thing teams can do wrong is overreact to a poor run in the playoffs. The teams generally don't have a ton separating them, and a few plays either way can swing it. Then again, I don't think there's anything magical about winning in the playoffs vs. the regular season for the most part.
   751. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 07, 2012 at 10:38 AM (#4150632)
Does the trade speculation here reflect a view that Miami needs to blow things up if they lose? I just don't see it. No knock on Spoelstra, but this is a great team that is damn near the Finals again. Whether it's a new coach, or some new supplementary pieces, I'd be inclined to let them (the Big Three) go at it again.

Not at all. It's just speculation that if Miami chose to blow it up, what is the best trade possibility for them/creates the most interesting team. In my made up idea, I like the way the new Heat team fits together more than the current Heat, even if I'm not sure it's better or more likely to win.

The Heat are really limited in what they can add as supplementary pieces. They only have the veteran minimums and the the tax midlevel as they're well into the tax next year. Their only expirings this offseason are the current vet minimums (Howard, Curry) and rookie options (Pittman, Harris). If they let them go, plus use their amnesty on someone (Miller at $5.8mil or Anthony at $3.75mil), they still are over the cap but I'm not sure about the tax. They're going to need to be very creative (and Riley surely is that) and fortunate (ring chases; I've already seen some mentions of Andre Miller for instance). But you're right that this current team (healthy) could still win this year and could be good enough to win again next year.

I think the Howard trade would be good (if you think he's healthy, I don't know enough on that front), but obviously isn't going to happen.

Although this is going to sound way more judgmental than I intend it, I think I need to be convinced that I should be worried about Howard's back more than I'm worried about his back/his health for next year.

EDIT: While looking at the Heat salary stuff, I see all 3 Miami big 3 have 15% trade kickers in their deals.
   752. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 07, 2012 at 10:40 AM (#4150635)
Boston mayor Thomas Menino, who has a dubious history of blunders and mispronunciations when talking about the city’s sports teams, stuck his foot in his mouth again Wednesday when discussing the Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals.

“There’s a lot of heart in this team, let me just tell you,” Menino told reporters, before adding, “KJ is great but Hondo is really the inspiration. Hondo drives that team.”

Heh.

---

Refs for C's/Heat tonight are Dan Crawford, Tony Brothers, and Tom Washington. Any pre-existing biases we can identify now?
   753. Joey B. Posted: June 07, 2012 at 10:48 AM (#4150646)
Stern is probably on a videoconference with them now as we speak, telling them that every borderline call had better go Miami's way from here on out. We all know that LeBron vs. Durant is the matchup that almost everyone wants to see.
   754. jmurph Posted: June 07, 2012 at 11:01 AM (#4150656)
We all know that LeBron vs. Durant is the matchup that almost everyone wants to see.

I think that's probably true of real basketball fans, but I don't know that it's true from a ratings perspective. Boston has a very large fan base. Presumably bigger than Miami's, though I get the star power of the Heat. Tough call. I think the league is probably as happy as they can be with either of these scenarios in the absence of a Lakers-Celtics matchup.
   755. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 07, 2012 at 11:03 AM (#4150661)
I think the league is probably as happy as they can be with either of these scenarios in the absence of a Lakers-Celtics matchup.

Or Knicks/Lakers, I suppose.

I have heard Stern "joke" more than once that his ideal Finals, from a business perspective, would be Lakers/Lakers.
   756. jmurph Posted: June 07, 2012 at 11:13 AM (#4150671)
Or Knicks/Lakers, I suppose.

Well sure, or Tokyo-Mexico City, but I thought we were talking about things that could conceivably happen in the real world.
   757. andrewberg Posted: June 07, 2012 at 11:28 AM (#4150699)
Well sure, or Tokyo-Mexico City, but I thought we were talking about things that could conceivably happen in the real world.

The Tokyo franchise will (in)appropriately be named the Jazz, too.
   758. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: June 07, 2012 at 11:45 AM (#4150715)
The Tokyo franchise will (in)appropriately be named the Jazz, too.

Not inappropriate at all. Their team mascot, Touchy, the tentacle rape monster, plays a mean sax.
   759. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 07, 2012 at 11:51 AM (#4150721)
[758] Kudos for combining "not inappropriate at all" and "tentacle rape monster" in one post.
   760. Booey Posted: June 07, 2012 at 11:55 AM (#4150727)
Not inappropriate at all. Their team mascot, Touchy, the tentacle rape monster, plays a mean sax.

Good call. Any Japanese team that didn't use some kind of giant radioactive monster as their mascot is really missing out on a great regional connection type of opportunity.

Too bad Godzilla is probably copyrighted...
   761. Jimmy P Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:02 PM (#4150737)
[758] Kudos for combining "not inappropriate at all" and "tentacle rape monster" in one post.

This is amazingly awesome.
   762. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:17 PM (#4150750)
711. Jimmy P Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:02 PM (#4150737)

The numbering system is off by 50 now.
   763. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:24 PM (#4150762)
The numbering system is off by 50 now.

Are you in the beta or something? It's fine from here.
   764. AROM, Instagram Gangsta Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:25 PM (#4150763)
So who do people think wins tonight? I'm curious how this breaks down by rooting interest. I'll start:

Will win: Celtics
Rooting for: Heat

On the will win question, please no wishy washy stuff. I don't care if you think a team is 51 percent likely to win or 95 percent likely. Just pick one. On rooting for, neutral answers like "I hope both teams get swallowed up in a sinkhole" are fine.
   765. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:29 PM (#4150766)
Are you in the beta or something? It's fine from here.

Not that I'm aware of. It's back to normal now.
   766. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:29 PM (#4150769)
Will win: Heat
   767. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:30 PM (#4150771)
Will win: Celtics - 9-2 at home in closeout games over past five years. Will be best Boston crowd since 2008 Finals. I am much closer to 51/49 than certain, but I'm picking them.
Rooting for: Celtics
   768. Booey Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:32 PM (#4150774)
So who do people think wins tonight? I'm curious how this breaks down by rooting interest. I'll start:

Will win: Heat, possibly on some very questionable calls, setting up an epic game 7.

Rooting for: the tentacle rape monster from above to devour both teams, after having it's way with them, of course.

Asking who I'm rooting for in this series is like asking if I'd rather be punched in the throat or kicked in the junk. Either way, go OKC.
   769. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:33 PM (#4150778)
Booey, as a Jazz fan of all things, why do you hate the Celtics so much?
   770. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:35 PM (#4150780)
Will Win: Heat (I can't help but buy into referee hijinx a little, plus I think Bosh plays 30 min, that changes the entire series)
   771. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:40 PM (#4150784)

He's human.
   772. Bitter Mouse Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:42 PM (#4150786)
Will win: Celtics (I have been wrong about everything this playoffs, so feel free to put money on the Heat)
Rooting for: Not heat. The Decision still annoys me WAY beyond what it should, plus I like KG (He is a punk, but as a season ticket holder during the Wolves KG run he showed up and worked his rear end off every single game. I admire that.)
   773. JJ1986 Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:44 PM (#4150788)
Rooting for: Not sure. I want all the LeBron stuff to end, but I don't think it does this year even if they win. What I'm really rooting for is for Wade to get injured enough to miss the rest of the playoffs and then the Heat to win.
   774. jmurph Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:44 PM (#4150789)
Rooting for: Celtics (officially, though I'm such a Lebron sympathizer at this point it's touch and go sometimes)
   775. jmurph Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:45 PM (#4150791)
And 757 and 758 are miles funnier than the Knicks joke I started with. Well done!
   776. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:46 PM (#4150792)
Will win: Boston
Rooting for: Miami
Actually rooting for: Debilitating 7th game.

Good job, good effort.
   777. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:48 PM (#4150795)
Push someone to the ground, then laugh and blow cigar smoke in their face and see what happens. Now do it for a few decades. The hate, it lasts.
   778. Booey Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:53 PM (#4150798)

Nothing personal, Joe C. As I explained in the large market/small market discussion, I dislike most the "bling" teams. I didn't like the way the Celts could go from a last place team in 2007 to a champion in 2008 by picking up a couple of HOFers in the offseason without seeming to give up equal value in return, same way I didn't like that the Lakers could pick up Gasol for pennies on the dollar and become an instant Finals team, and the same way I didn't like the Heat picking up a couple superstars in the offseason and becoming instant contenders. Not all teams have the same opportunities to do this type of thing. That's why as soon as my team is out, it's much easier to turn my allegiances towards likeable small market franchises that built their team through the draft like the Thunder and the Spurs.

But the level of venom in 768 was exaggerated in an (apparently failed) attempt at humor. Even though I dislike both teams, I actually am looking forward to game 6 (and possibly 7). Should be an intense game.
   779. AROM, Instagram Gangsta Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:53 PM (#4150800)
If the Heat lose the series to the Celtics, here's the potential outcomes and what it means for team pride:

1. Get blown out in game 6: worse showing than the Hawks, a mid range playoff team with injury issues every bit as bad as the Heat missing Bosh. Atlanta played game 6 down to the wire.
2. Lose a close game 6: tied with the Hawks, but a worse effort than 8 seed Philly who went to game 7 without benefit of home court.
   780. jmurph Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:56 PM (#4150803)

I assumed it was because of the Lewis Scott kidnapping in the great American comedy film "Celtic Pride."
   781. Jon T. Posted: June 07, 2012 at 12:56 PM (#4150806)
will win: Celtics in a game reminiscent of Game 6 in 2010 vs Cleveland

782. JC in DC Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:00 PM (#4150809)
Will win: Heat (and, I predict they'll win it all);
Want to win: Linsanity, but barring that, tonight, the Cs, then OKC.
   783. Jimmy P Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:02 PM (#4150813)

I dislike them because they have a very unlikable group of stars. KG's jack assery has been well documented here. Rondo just seems like a prick (and his halftime comments the other night didn't help), and Pierce is a drama queen.

Of course, Wade has pretty much moved into the unlikable territory for me this postseason, too. Here's an idea, Wade: stop ######## and get your ass back on D.
   784. Booey Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:06 PM (#4150816)

I assumed it was because of the Lewis Scott kidnapping in the great American comedy film "Celtic Pride."

Yes! Scott was totally leading the Jazz to the title that season before those Celtic nutjob fans screwed it up!

Never actually saw that movie. The previews looked so awful that not even my Jazz pride was enough to get me to go.
   785. andrewberg Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:08 PM (#4150818)
Rooting for: Miami
Will win: Miami- screw it, this the game where Lebron wins everyone over! Wait, maybe that belongs under "rooting for"
   786. JJ1986 Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:08 PM (#4150819)
Here's an idea, Wade: stop ######## and get your ass back on D.

f-l-o-p-p-ing is nannied now?
   787. Booey Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:09 PM (#4150820)
Pierce is a drama queen.

He's also on my irrational hatred list (along with Melo) for having the facial hair of an 8th grader. If you can't grow a real mustache, shave, dammit!
   788. JC in DC Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:09 PM (#4150821)
I dislike them because they have a very unlikable group of stars. KG's jack assery has been well documented here. Rondo just seems like a prick (and his halftime comments the other night didn't help), and Pierce is a drama queen.

I hate the Cs, but for none of these reasons. I've always liked Pierce, KG has grown on me, and I liked HRondo's comments the other night.

[edit: Actually, "RHondo" would be better. Silent "H".]
   789. andrewberg Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:15 PM (#4150827)
I like KG (He is a punk, but as a season ticket holder during the Wolves KG run he showed up and worked his rear end off every single game. I admire that.)

I hear you. For a while I thought I was rooting against KG for the first time ever during game 5, but then I learned it was KJ, so I felt ok.
   790. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:25 PM (#4150837)
Will win : Heat
Rooting for: Celtic (Against any other team I'd be rooting for LeBron though. I am big on backlash against the backlash.)
   791. Jimmy P Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:40 PM (#4150865)
f-l-o-p-p-ing is nannied now?

Whining. He flops, and then he gets up and whines if he doesn't get the call. Which is the way to stop the flopping.

Of course, he can do whatever he wants because Lebron's going to take all the criticism no matter how poorly he plays
   792. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:46 PM (#4150872)
Rooting for: Dwyane Wade suffering a crippling injury and then LBJ and Bosh winning this series and an epic Finals matchup.
   793. Fourth True Outcome Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:48 PM (#4150874)
Rooting for : Celtics

No matter what happens in this ECF, the Eastern team is going to play the heels in the Finals, huh?
   794. Spivey Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:50 PM (#4150876)

I like Durant a bunch as a UT alumni, but with the way the media is treating Durant and LeBron, I'd love to see LeBron pull a Jordan on Durant's Drexler.
   795. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:53 PM (#4150880)
but with the way the media is treating Durant and LeBron, I'd love to see LeBron pull a Jordan on Durant's Drexler.

*wipes tear* This is really all that I ask.
   796. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:56 PM (#4150884)
Rooting for: Celtics (lesser of two evils sort of thing; I'd want an OKC Finals sweep regardless)

They're going to need to be very creative (and Riley surely is that) and fortunate (ring chases; I've already seen some mentions of Andre Miller for instance).

Andre Miller is a very good player, but that seems like a bad fit for both sides. Miller cannot shoot at all, and he needs the ball in his hands to be effective. The Heat already have two elite ball-dominant players who aren't particularly good outside shooters. If Miller joins them, defenses will be able to clog the lane more, and there will be even more uncertainty and scrutiny regarding how to run the offense. Miller could instead go back to Portland or sign with an up-and-coming team (New Orleans) or a potential contender (Lakers, Bulls) that would allow him a more significant and defined role.

I think Marcus Camby and Chauncey Billups could be good mini-MLE options for the Heat.
   797. rr Posted: June 07, 2012 at 01:57 PM (#4150886)
I think Miami will win this game because they will get something out of Bosh and play better transition D. OTOH, I have picked LeBron James' team to win the championship each of the last two years, and it hasn't happened yet.

As an aside, I think the interest in tonight's outcome is another example of how as things have turned out, the fornation of this team has been a good thing for the NBA. Almost every NBA fan seems to have feelings and opinions about them.
   798. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: June 07, 2012 at 02:03 PM (#4150896)
People Left Who I Would Like to see win a ring:

1. LeBron
[tremendous gap]
2. KG
3. Westbrook

People Left Who I Don't Want to see Win a Ring:

1. Kevin Durant
2. Rajon Rondo
3. Dwyane Wade
4. Pat Riley
5. Serge Ibaka
   799. jmurph Posted: June 07, 2012 at 02:09 PM (#4150903)

1. Kevin Durant

Really? Have you explained this somewhere and I missed it? I'm curious.
   800. Booey Posted: June 07, 2012 at 02:09 PM (#4150904)

1. Kevin Durant
2. Rajon Rondo
3. Dwyane Wade
4. Pat Riley
5. Serge Ibaka

How could anyone not like Durant?

Edit: coke to jmurph
Page 8 of 28 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Mike Emeigh
for his generous support.