Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, June 05, 2011

OT: NBA Monthly Thread VI - June 2011

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, but with our own thread, we won’t detract from what this site is really about: whatever the hell is going on in that birther thread which I’m afraid to click on, and whether or not ballpark proposals are a great idea or the greatest idea.

(Link is to last month’s thread.)

Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: June 05, 2011 at 12:29 AM | 1710 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: general

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 18 pages  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
   1. Zipperholes Posted: June 05, 2011 at 01:23 AM (#3845733)
FYI, for anyone who turned it off prematurely like I did: The replay of game 2 is on the NBA channel. 3Q right now.
   2. rr Posted: June 05, 2011 at 05:21 AM (#3845794)
Thanks for putting this up, AS.

Game 3 at 1-1 is never a "must" game, but I think Dallas needs it pretty bad. Still like Miami's chances even if Dallas takes them again tomorrow. Looking forward to the game; expecting a good show.
   3. bunyon Posted: June 05, 2011 at 06:51 AM (#3845811)
but I think Dallas needs it pretty bad.

So's your Mom.

Hope you're enjoying the finals.
   4. rr Posted: June 05, 2011 at 07:11 AM (#3845816)
That actually should be "So did your mom."

What's up with the Braves getting shut out by the Mets? The Mets can barely make payroll. Also, why you are up at 2:51 AM? It is only midnight out here; GF is asleep so it is dick-around-on-the-net time.
   5. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: June 05, 2011 at 07:35 AM (#3845820)
Also, why you are up at 2:51 AM?

I think he answered that with his first post.
   6. thok Posted: June 05, 2011 at 10:41 AM (#3845832)
1. Somebody should put the list of "we won't distract from what the site is about" comments on the BTF Wiki.

2. From the last thread, about Penn St

one more thing, i think i was a bit wrong about there being no systemic issues preventing the team from succeeding.
there are two issues: villanova and pitt.

There are more issues than that. Temple Basketball is clearly higher priority than Penn St, and there's a lot of poaching from nearby states as well (basically the Big East and a bunch of Ohio schools).
   7. Gotham Dave Posted: June 05, 2011 at 02:05 PM (#3845866)
That birther thread is, like, seven people for the last 3000 posts, which I don't know if that makes it more or less scary. Those kinds of threads are totally fun to click on every 300 posts to see what the hell they're talking about now and how the hell did they get there? Threads are like glaciers, man.
   8. steagles Posted: June 05, 2011 at 05:11 PM (#3845944)
There are more issues than that. Temple Basketball is clearly higher priority than Penn St, and there's a lot of poaching from nearby states as well (basically the Big East and a bunch of Ohio schools).
i don't think temple is much of an issue at this point. the program isn't what it once was, and i think getting kicked out of the big east in football really put them in a position where they won't be able to compete as a national program.

as for the recruiting issues, i don't think that's an issue. they should be able to recruit from ohio to the jersey shore, from DC to new york. plus chambers might be able to exploit some of the connections he's made in boston.

they should be able to pull from pittsburgh and philadelphia, from washington, baltimore, and new york, plus all the surrounding areas.
   9. bunyon Posted: June 05, 2011 at 05:26 PM (#3845951)
Out with the scope under the stars. Pretty bleary by the time I made that post.

And I was thinking "So's" as "So does".

Sleep deprivation and scotch - a brilliant combination.
   10. bunyon Posted: June 05, 2011 at 05:26 PM (#3845953)
Oh, and the Braves...they suck, of course. I'm not really sure how they have as good a record as they do. Good pitching, I guess.
   11. GregD Posted: June 05, 2011 at 06:12 PM (#3845974)
i don't think temple is much of an issue at this point. the program isn't what it once was, and i think getting kicked out of the big east in football really put them in a position where they won't be able to compete as a national program.
You could be right but I wouldn't want to bet on it. Has Penn State beaten Temple head to head for a player both coveted? I'm not saying it's impossible--the football team obviously gets plenty of city kids--but I can't remember it happening the 3-4 years I lived in Philly and followed basketball. Caveats that I could have missed it and things could have changed in the intervening couple of years.
as for the recruiting issues, i don't think that's an issue. they should be able to recruit from ohio to the jersey shore, from DC to new york. plus chambers might be able to exploit some of the connections he's made in boston.

I'd give this a qualified sort of. Sure they can get some kids for those regions, but can they get the in-demand kids from those regions? Swarthmore's recruiting base is essentially that region; that doesn't mean they're a factor. Penn State's obviously different than Swarthmore, but are they at this point that much different than Lehigh? Can they outrecruit Rutgers in the eastern part of the region or West Virginia in the southwestern part? Forget about Pitt to the West and Nova to the East and Syracuse to the North and Maryland to the South. Can they make a case to being a solid #2 in any of those regions in terms of recruiting? Maybe so. And if not now, maybe so in the near future. But I wouldn't take it for granted. There's lots of good programs in the region. Penn State's got advantages on most of them, but not so many advantages as to negate a good run of press and results, as with St Joe's a few years ago or Seton Hall earlier than that.
   12. thok Posted: June 05, 2011 at 06:49 PM (#3845989)
For what it's worth, I'd be shocked if Temple football had any impact on Temple's ability to recruit for basketball. Mainly because Temple's football team was arguably the worse program in Division IA during their time in the Big East. (Moving to the MAC for football has massively improved their record in football.)
   13. steagles Posted: June 05, 2011 at 07:12 PM (#3846011)
I'd give this a qualified sort of. Sure they can get some kids for those regions, but can they get the in-demand kids from those regions? Swarthmore's recruiting base is essentially that region; that doesn't mean they're a factor. Penn State's obviously different than Swarthmore, but are they at this point that much different than Lehigh? Can they outrecruit Rutgers in the eastern part of the region or West Virginia in the southwestern part? Forget about Pitt to the West and Nova to the East and Syracuse to the North and Maryland to the South. Can they make a case to being a solid #2 in any of those regions in terms of recruiting? Maybe so. And if not now, maybe so in the near future. But I wouldn't take it for granted. There's lots of good programs in the region. Penn State's got advantages on most of them, but not so many advantages as to negate a good run of press and results, as with St Joe's a few years ago or Seton Hall earlier than that.
i think people are really underestimating the institutional appeal of playing in state college. lehigh and swarthmore don't have 30,000 kids on campus. and they don't play in the big 10.

again, if the coach is a turd, the program will continue to be a turd. but a good coach can build PSU into a good program.
For what it's worth, I'd be shocked if Temple football had any impact on Temple's ability to recruit for basketball. Mainly because Temple's football team was arguably the worse program in Division IA during their time in the Big East. (Moving to the MAC for football has massively improved their record in football.)
it's the cash coming in that affects the athletic department. they don't get BCS money in the MAC, and they don't play premier home games against miami, virginia tech, boston college, syracuse, etc. the record is better, but it's a hit to the bottom line.
   14. Tripon Posted: June 05, 2011 at 07:22 PM (#3846026)
Because when you think of a national conference, you think of the Big East.
   15. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: June 05, 2011 at 08:25 PM (#3846074)
Game 3 at 1-1 is never a "must" game,

I heard Colin Cowherd say something like the team that wins game 3 when the series is tied 1-1 wins the series something like 80% of the time.
   16. Tripon Posted: June 05, 2011 at 09:36 PM (#3846094)
Cowherd stole that from John Hollinger.
   17. thok Posted: June 05, 2011 at 10:48 PM (#3846103)
it's the cash coming in that affects the athletic department. they don't get BCS money in the MAC, and they don't play premier home games against miami, virginia tech, boston college, syracuse, etc. the record is better, but it's a hit to the bottom line.

Actually winning games has improved Temple's attendance by a significant amount (they gained roughly 3000 extra fans per game in the last year alone.)

Plus, Temple's basketball program pays for itself. It can completely ignore the other sports for revenue purposes.
   18. stevegamer Posted: June 05, 2011 at 10:56 PM (#3846107)
i don't think temple is much of an issue at this point. the program isn't what it once was, and i think getting kicked out of the big east in football really put them in a position where they won't be able to compete as a national program

I think you are underestimating Temple, and honestly, St. Joe's as well. The Atlantic 10 actually is a good thing for recruiting in Philly, due to have 3 Big 5 teams in there. LaSalle isn't as big a deal, but those schools can can compete. And honestly, PSU's program is pretty historically lousy. So the new guy has to do something to even get to where Temple or St. Joe's are.

And while Temple football isn't generating as much money as they used to from BCS shares, they are doing much better getting cash coming in from sources outside BCS money - including even getting to a bowl themselves. They will have a football home game this year against PSU in Philly - which might actualy not completely be a sea of blue this time around.
   19. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 05, 2011 at 11:54 PM (#3846133)
Source: Lakers hire Ettore Messina
Italian coach Ettore Messina has agreed to join Mike Brown's coaching staff with the Los Angeles Lakers, a source familiar with the negotiations said.

Messina will be listed as an assistant coach but will be behind the bench, not on it, and will serve in more of a consulting capacity, sources said.
Messina's more or less revered in European basketball circles, regarded in the way Larry Brown is here. From what little I can find, he preaches an offense that's dependent on motion, passing, good decision-making, and running, running, running. You hear all the time from coaches that good defense creates easy offense? Messina says it's his offense that creates good defense.

I wonder how this'll look when run by an NBA team. I wonder how much of his philosophy will be incorporated in the Lakers' offense. I wonder how receptive the Laker players will be after years of the triangle.
   20. rr Posted: June 06, 2011 at 12:04 AM (#3846141)
I heard Colin Cowherd say something like the team that wins game 3 when the series is tied 1-1 wins the series something like 80% of the time.

Sure. Every game in a best-of-7 is important, but whoever loses tonight is still very much in business.

Basically, I think:

The series is going back to Miami.
Dallas obviously needs to be up 3-2 when it does.
They need this game tonight for that reason.

I think if Miami gets the series back to Miami, even down 3-2, they still have a very good chance.
   21. rr Posted: June 06, 2011 at 12:09 AM (#3846144)
From what little I can find, he preaches an offense that's dependent on motion, passing, good decision-making, and running, running, running.

This is from SSR, written by Messina himself and linked from a Russian website:

For our offensive rhythm, it is critical that the ball find its way to our inside player. Playing the ball only on the perimeter creates a lot of difficulties for our offense and, as a result, it becomes harder to win games. On the other hand, getting the ball inside gives us balance and allows us to attack the heart of the defense, where we know that the opposing teams have a defensive organization ready to counteract. Therefore, we must be ready to play against this reaction in order to take an advantage and get an uncontested shot at the basket.

Over the years, we realized that we must aim to have at least 20 shots coming from these low-post situations. Moreover, in the initial phases of the games where the referees are very demanding, our powerful inside game causes many of the opposing big men to get into early foul trouble. This limits their time on the court and we look to take advantage of that. Losing a defensive big man or two early in the game frees us to make more penetrations to the basket.

___

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2011/6/4/2207127/lakers-hire-ettore-messina#storyjump

Messina supposedly wants to be an NBA head coach and is taking this gig as a way to get there.
   22. rr Posted: June 06, 2011 at 12:39 AM (#3846163)
James said he would attack more.
   23. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: June 06, 2011 at 01:03 AM (#3846192)
It's hard to say this, given as how he's the best player alive, but when you watch James when he's motivated and not settling for contested jumpers, you realize that he could be a lot better. It is as if he tries to replicate late-career Jordan while still possessing the physical gifts of Jordan pre-retirement.
   24. Spivey Posted: June 06, 2011 at 01:29 AM (#3846206)
Miami was playing really aggressive, and is just getting much better looks than Dallas.
   25. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 06, 2011 at 02:19 AM (#3846264)
If Barea's hitting even half those wide open looks, Dallas is up by five right now.
   26. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: June 06, 2011 at 02:39 AM (#3846278)
Dallas is getting a lot of help from the refs down the stretch here.
   27. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: June 06, 2011 at 02:42 AM (#3846280)
Great game.
   28. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: June 06, 2011 at 02:47 AM (#3846284)
Indeed, helluva game. These are two well-matched clubs. I want a seventh game.
   29. Fourth True Outcome Posted: June 06, 2011 at 02:52 AM (#3846288)
Whole-heartedly concur. These games have been all I could have wished for. If they just keep alternating wins, that would be perfect.
   30. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 06, 2011 at 02:52 AM (#3846289)
I 100% expected Dirk's last shot to go in, just because.
   31. Spivey Posted: June 06, 2011 at 02:55 AM (#3846292)
Dirk is human?

Terry and Barea missed a lot of make-able shots.

Kidd seems to be playing good defense, but Wade has seemed unguardable for a lot of the Finals.
   32. Fourth True Outcome Posted: June 06, 2011 at 02:59 AM (#3846293)
It's pretty amazing that Haslem did everything right on that last play and Dirk still had exactly the shot he wanted. The man is a marvel.

Wade has been unstoppable for stretches, but LeBron has been too passive for similar stretches. I can't tell if he's deferring to Wade's hot hand or just standing around, but I don't really get why he isn't attacking more. Balancing that with Terry and Barea underperforming, it'll be interesting to see how those guys do in game 4.
   33. smileyy Posted: June 06, 2011 at 03:08 AM (#3846299)
Maybe Nowitzki faked me too, but I thought he wanted the shot off of his next-to-last move, not the one he took. It wasn't a bad shot, but I'm not sure I'd call it a good shot. Big props to Haslem.
   34. NJ in DC (Now with temporary employment!) Posted: June 06, 2011 at 03:10 AM (#3846301)
That Dirk shot was one of those "this shot has been in the air for an exceptionally long period of time now and...wait, what the ####? it didn't go in?!!?!?" moments.
   35. Norcan Posted: June 06, 2011 at 03:12 AM (#3846303)
Wade has been unstoppable for stretches, but LeBron has been too passive for similar stretches.

I don't know what it is, whether he's trying to be the triple-double threat he is, but he didn't shoot until after the first media timeout, I think. Guys like Jordan or Kobe get lauded for it as letting their teammates get in the flow of the game before they take over, but Wade is Lebron's equal. He's going to burn for the whole game. The difference in their energy has been stark. At the same time though, Wade has a much easier matchup than Lebron does. On crucial possessions where matchup considerations are huge, Wade is the guy (it doesn't hurt that he's been hot for most of this series).

This was supposed to be LeBron's Finals MVP but Wade is the clear favorite right now. Who would have figured that. Not that it's really shocking but this is supposed to be the start of Lebron's championship narrative and it's not following the script, thus far anyway.
   36. Norcan Posted: June 06, 2011 at 03:16 AM (#3846305)
Maybe Nowitzki faked me too, but I thought he wanted the shot off of his next-to-last move, not the one he took.

Yeah, I've seen him take that one-footed half pivot shot so many times (who hasn't) but it's usually from a bit closer in, starting from about a foot within the paint. He didn't have enough time to get closer, which might have been caused by Haslem denying him well and forcing him to start his move from beyond the three point line. Whatever the case, I didn't think he was going to make it because it was from an atypical place.
   37. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: June 06, 2011 at 03:53 AM (#3846319)
That felt like a Wade v Dirk duel more than Heat v Mavs, and both of them hit some crazy tough shots down the stretch, but in the end the Mavs seemed to lose because their bench didn't come through. In particular, Barea was badly outplayed by Chalmers, and Terry missed his corner jumper with the game on the line while Bosh hit his. The Mavs are now +23 in this series with Dirk on the court and -31 without him. Unlike the Heat, they don't have the luxury of another elite player to pick up the slack in his absence. I'm hopeful that someone other than Dirk will get hot for the Mavs in games 4 and 5 to take a little pressure off him. I don't know how he can play any better. These games have been tremendously entertaining, and I'll be really disappointed if the series doesn't make it back to Miami. Also, I wonder if anyone will make a big deal out of the Chalmers 3 to beat the first-quarter buzzer that should've been disallowed for a backcourt violation. The Mavs had their chances and seemed to get some favorable whistles in the 4th, but it's easy to notice that the buzzer beater was more than the final difference on the scoreboard.
   38. rr Posted: June 06, 2011 at 03:56 AM (#3846324)
Was impressed by Miami's defensive execution on the last possession. As Norcan and a couple of other guys noted, Haslem or Anthony needed to be on Nowitzki, as opposed to Bosh, and Haslem did a nice job on Nowitzki on that sequence.

As to the James/Wade thing, I recall that when James was talking about going to Miami late last summer, one of the things he said was something to the effect that with Wade there, the team could win a big game without James playing at the top of his game. Tonight was a good example.
   39. rr Posted: June 06, 2011 at 04:03 AM (#3846327)
WRT post 38, just saw this Haberstroh Tweet:

@tomhaberstroh LeBron James is now 2-6 in playoff games when he scored 17 points or fewer. Both wins with Miami
   40. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 06, 2011 at 04:10 AM (#3846328)
Also, I wonder if anyone will make a big deal out of the Chalmers 3 to beat the first-quarter buzzer that should've been disallowed for a backcourt violation.
Replays showed Chalmers' foot was on the line, and that was supposedly enough for him to be established as being in the front court. I don't know the rule, so I'll just take the announcers' words as truth.
   41. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: June 06, 2011 at 04:19 AM (#3846330)
Replays showed Chalmers' foot was on the line, and that was supposedly enough for him to be established as being in the front court. I don't know the rule, so I'll just take the announcers' words as truth.

The announcers later corrected themselves to say it should've been disallowed. They were initially wrong about the rule. Here's an explanation from Kelly Dwyer at Yahoo: Mario Chalmers, and the buzzer beater that shouldn't have counted.
   42. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 06, 2011 at 04:22 AM (#3846331)
Ah, thanks. In that case… man, that burns.
   43. Fourth True Outcome Posted: June 06, 2011 at 04:26 AM (#3846333)
I was wondering during the game about previous Heat comments after game 2, I think by James, about how they're a team that hangs their hat on defense. Obviously their defense is spectacular, but I wonder if that conceptualization both allows and in some instances leads to hero ball and ineffective offense. They're a title favorite as is, but if they can run a more consistently efficient offense, good golly look out.

The flip-side of that, though, is that looking at their offensive execution is missing half the picture. Gregg Doyle asked LeBron about his non-MVP numbers, and got smacked down. LeBron made comments when the big 3 got together about how having Wade on his side meant they could win close games when he wasn't at his best on offense, and it looks like he meant them.

Edit: Video
   44. Jimmy P Posted: June 06, 2011 at 03:38 PM (#3846495)
Gregg Doyle asked LeBron about his non-MVP numbers, and got smacked down.

He deserved it. Doyle had an agenda with that question, he was deliberately trying to get under Lebron's skin and write a hatchet job article. For once, I thought Lebron handled the question and spoke without sounding like an idiot.
   45. Spivey Posted: June 06, 2011 at 03:48 PM (#3846505)
I think it was pretty amusing that last night the media (at least ESPN folks) were trying to make this a story line of Wade being the closer, the best player on the team, and it being "his" team - whatever that means.

How quickly they forgot the last series against the Bulls.
   46. rr Posted: June 06, 2011 at 03:52 PM (#3846509)
@sportsguy33 It's going to be so awkward when Dwyane Wade wins the Finals MVP.
   47. Jimmy P Posted: June 06, 2011 at 03:57 PM (#3846514)
@sportsguy33 It's going to be so awkward when Dwyane Wade wins the Finals MVP.

This is a self-fulfilling prophecy, though. Media votes on it, right? We all know awards voters vote for a story, and the story that Wade's the closer and Lebron isn't is an easy one to write. No one wants to write the Lebron "redemption" story, everyone still wants to kick him around.
   48. JL Posted: June 06, 2011 at 04:00 PM (#3846519)
Doyle had an agenda with that question, he was deliberately trying to get under Lebron's skin and write a hatchet job article.

So it was just like every other Doyle question and article.
   49. rr Posted: June 06, 2011 at 04:10 PM (#3846531)
No one wants to write the Lebron "redemption" story, everyone still wants to kick him around.

James has a whole crew of defenders at ESPN--all the stat guys and all the Heat Index guys. Stat guys around the blogosphere stick up for him as well. He still takes a lot of crap from MSM non-stat guys/generalists, I assume, although I don't read much of it.

Basically, as noted, James has a tougher matchup than Wade does, so Wade is taking over. As an aside, I think James could have gotten a little more MSM credit for the amazing pass to Chalmers in G2 (got lost when Miami lost) and for the pass to Bosh last night, which was a hell of a pass.
   50. Jimmy P Posted: June 06, 2011 at 04:20 PM (#3846537)
James has a whole crew of defenders at ESPN--all the stat guys and all the Heat Index guys. Stat guys around the blogosphere stick up for him as well. He still takes a lot of crap from MSM non-stat guys/generalists, I assume, although I don't read much of it.

They all need to get out of their mother's basements and watch a game. The guy is clearly riding Wade's coattails.
   51. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: June 06, 2011 at 04:30 PM (#3846547)
I just read the Doyel article, and it's quite a hatchet job. As someone who strongly dislikes LeBron, even I feel sorry for him after reading it. Here's a notable passage: "When someone makes a movie of the fourth quarter, they can cast Rick Moranis as LeBron James and call it Honey, I Shrunk the Superstar. That's what I'll remember about James from Game 3. His shrinkage, and how it continued a series of shrinkages. After three games in these NBA Finals, James has scored nine points in the fourth quarter. That's total. That's three points a game in the fourth quarter, which means in crunch time LeBron James becomes Joel Anthony." I must've missed Joel Anthony's 4 assists in the 4th quarter last night. Doyel doesn't seem to care that the Heat don't always need LeBron to score to operate effectively. That's the luxury of having multiple superstars.

From the Dallas perspective, do you want to push LeBron to try to take over as the primary scorer? You know on some level he's concerned about his legacy and eager to show he's the best player in this series, and maybe LeBron going into isolation mode gives the best odds of shutting down the Heat, but it's such a double-edged sword. If the Mavs allow LeBron some room and he gets hot, then what little chance they have of a comeback is likely gone.
   52. Fourth True Outcome Posted: June 06, 2011 at 04:48 PM (#3846565)
The annoying thing is that Doyel's exchange could have led to an interesting piece, but Doyel instead chose to double down on his agenda and put out that horseshit article. (I guess that's not news if you're familiar with his work, but I hadn't really been before this kerfuffle.) I've been watching a lot of the post-game press conferences that the NBA has been streaming this postseason, and I've been struck by how nearly all journalist questions are not just stupid, but also make it very clear that they're looking for quotes to bolster the narrative they've already decided to go with, rather than looking for information, insight, or real opinions from the players/coaches. (Matt Moore from Hardwood Paroxysm has been the one glaring exception. He always asks questions about tactics that lead to meaningful answers from the players. Maybe we should just kick out the non-bloggers?) It makes me a more sympathetic to players who are openly hostile to the media.

I guess Dallas should push LeBron to take over, just because Marion is a better matchup than Kidd or anyone else they have on Wade, but I don't really know how they would do that. LeBron is a willing and skilled passer, so I'm not sure how they would force his hand. I'd love to see him more active in the Heat offense, but his taking the backseat to Wade as primary option is smart matchups, not passivity or indicative of some deep-seated inadequacy. I've been vaguely rooting for the Heat to win in part so that I don't have to live with the "LeBron is a choker" meme next season, but if the MSM just ignores the ECF and runs with Wade as Batman/LeBron as Robin, that might be differently but equally bad.
   53. Jimmy P Posted: June 06, 2011 at 04:58 PM (#3846573)
From the Dallas perspective, do you want to push LeBron to try to take over as the primary scorer?

Honestly, if I were Dallas, I'd worry more about getting Kidd, Barea, Terry, and Peja scoring than anything else. That's been their problem so far this series.

I've been watching a lot of the post-game press conferences that the NBA has been streaming this postseason, and I've been struck by how nearly all journalist questions are not just stupid,

Dan Patrick routinely mocks reporters for this. He plays the question and answer, talks about it, and then replays the question to mock it. His favorite is when the guy goes, "Could you talk about situation x..."
   54. AROM Posted: June 06, 2011 at 05:19 PM (#3846602)
Doyle had an agenda with that question, he was deliberately trying to get under Lebron's skin and write a hatchet job article.

I love Lebron's answer. I don't think there's anyway he can win with these idiot reporters. If the Heat lose it's Lebron's fault no matter what he does. If they win without him scoring big he's disappearing and has to be carried by his teammate. If he scores 50 in a Heat win they'll probably attack him for not sharing the ball with Bosh and Wade.

I think Lebron had a bad game in some respects - too many turnovers and a few forced bad shots/24s violations where he should have worked to shoot earlier. But he made some fine contributions with defense and led the team with 9 assists. I can't fault him a bit for not shooting more when letting Wade control the possession was working so well.
   55. Joel W Posted: June 06, 2011 at 05:50 PM (#3846630)
James: Um, you should watch the film again and see what I did defensively, and you ask me a better question tomorrow.

That is a great smackdown line. If the NBA had a Conn Smythe trophy, Lebron would be far and away the favorite. He absolutely carried the Heat in the Celtics and Bulls series. He had 9 assists last night, and has been playing PG for that team, as well as absolutely defending the hell out of the ball. Somebody tweeted that Lebron has had 5 points scored against him as the primary defender in the 4th quarter in all 3 finals games.

FWIW, Shawn Marion has also been playing great D on Lebron.
   56. PJ Martinez Posted: June 06, 2011 at 05:54 PM (#3846631)
I've been struck by how nearly all journalist questions are not just stupid, but also make it very clear that they're looking for quotes to bolster the narrative they've already decided to go with, rather than looking for information, insight, or real opinions from the players/coaches

Well put.

Edit: Just watched the video of LeBron's answer; that was pretty great.
   57. Joel W Posted: June 06, 2011 at 05:56 PM (#3846634)
Merrill article on Bosh. I continue to really like Chris Bosh/find his everyday human flaws fascinating in an upper-echelon basketball player.
   58. AROM Posted: June 06, 2011 at 05:58 PM (#3846635)
Somebody tweeted that Lebron has had 5 points scored against him as the primary defender in the 4th quarter in all 3 finals games.

I didn't realize that. Then again, Shawn Marion isn't exactly option #1 for Dallas down the stretch. I'd like to see Lebron defending Dirk towards the end of games, now that would be quite a test.

He's the same height as Haslem, and quicker so I don't see why the Heat have not done this.

Edit: Probably for foul reasons, Dirk is so good at getting to the line and you can't risk Lebron taking an early exit. But if he's got 3 or less heading into the 4th, I think it's worth a try.
   59. Joel W Posted: June 06, 2011 at 06:09 PM (#3846642)
Just like in the Chicago series, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Heat go to it to close out a game down the stretch. Lebron wasn't on Rose until game 4, right?
   60. smileyy Posted: June 06, 2011 at 06:26 PM (#3846663)
My gut says the Horace Grant comp is a pretty good one. Grant spent the prime of his career as a #3 option. I'm wondering if his stats would have looked like Bosh's if he had been a #1 option.
   61. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: June 06, 2011 at 06:31 PM (#3846665)
Doyel is famous with Florida fans (who are, it must be admitted, infamously thin-skinned) for his various and repeated hatchet jobs on Gator players and coaches. On some level it's nice to read Doyel's God awful piece today, because it confirms that he really is that bad.
   62. smileyy Posted: June 06, 2011 at 06:46 PM (#3846679)
OTOH, this article may not be surprising given what ESPN has invested in LeBron, but I'm hoping that there's a hidden subtitle to it called "Greg Doyel is a hack".

Edit: Ok, it might be surprising for ESPN because it's true and well-written, but maybe I'm too cynical. Or should be more cynical, because it shows that ESPN _doesn't_ have all the worse writers.

If Wade wins the Finals MVP, LeBron should convince him to make a commercial where Wade jumps off of LeBron's back to dunk.
   63. Joel W Posted: June 06, 2011 at 07:01 PM (#3846692)
I thought the Adande piece was very good. Lebron is definitely in the no-win situation, and I thought Adande really nailed it. Perhaps he's used to defending imperfect superstars from haters throughout the media...
   64. NJ in DC (Now with temporary employment!) Posted: June 07, 2011 at 01:07 AM (#3847071)
Mark Jackson is the new GSW head coach.
   65. Fourth True Outcome Posted: June 07, 2011 at 01:17 AM (#3847081)
Anyone have any idea what kind of coach Jackson will make? On the one hand, he's # all-time in assists and surely has a good idea how to run an offense. On the other, I mean, listen to anything he said on tv. I really enjoy this current GSW team and hope he does good things, but mostly I'm glad this means he won't be doing PBP on my television next season. We've lost him and McHale. That's some fine addition by subtraction from the national NBA broadcasting roster.

Edit: Thinking about it a little more, this could be a great thing for Steph Curry, couldn't it?
   66. thok Posted: June 07, 2011 at 01:57 AM (#3847123)
The upside for Mark Jackson as coach is close to Doc Rivers.

That said, Golden State needs to figure out what it's doing with its roster, and short of drafting the next elite power forward they aren't winning a championship any time soon.
   67. rr Posted: June 07, 2011 at 03:49 AM (#3847195)
I thought the Adande piece was very good. Lebron is definitely in the no-win situation, and I thought Adande really nailed it. Perhaps he's used to defending imperfect superstars from haters throughout the media...

Adande writes pretty well, and he is one of those guys, like Windhorst, who seems to like the players, and usually writes about them from an even-keeled but positive POV. Adande is not a very good analyst, but he does do good work on stories like that.
   68. Into the Void Posted: June 07, 2011 at 04:19 AM (#3847201)
My gut says the Horace Grant comp is a pretty good one. Grant spent the prime of his career as a #3 option. I'm wondering if his stats would have looked like Bosh's if he had been a #1 option.

I don't know about that. I was in my teens when the Bulls were going on their runs but I don't remember Grant being any kind of offensive option at all (other than put backs at the rim). Paxson, Kerr, Hodges, Armstrong, etc., all seemed to get the ball more.

Anyway, my point being that I think Bosh is a MUCH better shooter than Grant ever was...and at this point in his career Bosh definitely doesn't have Grant's defensive or rebounding skills.
   69. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: June 07, 2011 at 05:33 AM (#3847217)
Toni Kukoc is probably the best Bulls comp for Bosh, though it doesn't quite work.

I think in some ways Bosh is highlighted because there's a natural parallel between the Heat and the Bulls. LeBron is similar to Pippen (but better) and Wade is similar to Jordan (but worse). Obviously that's not entirely true -- great players tend to be unique and these guys are no exception -- but the comparison is there role-wise. Joel Anthony paeans notwithstanding, both guys have generic mediocre big guys at the 5 and generic one-dimensional shooters at the 1. It's at the 4 where the teams are really very different -- the Jordan/Pippen Bulls had (Oakley/)Grant/Rodman, rebounding/defense guys, while the Heat have a finesse scoring 4 instead.

This ignores the obvious big difference of the triangle offense, but from a skills standpoint, Bosh is the biggest contrast here. I think we assume that it'd be better to have a Grant/Rodman type there because perhaps the greatest team in history did that, or at least we expect it, so when Bosh fails to be that sort of player he becomes an obvious lightning rod for criticism.
   70. JoeHova Posted: June 07, 2011 at 07:15 AM (#3847224)
I think we assume that it'd be better to have a Grant/Rodman type there because perhaps the greatest team in history did that, or at least we expect it, so when Bosh fails to be that sort of player he becomes an obvious lightning rod for criticism.

Perhaps. However, I think the recent criticism is focused more on his 31% shooting during the Finals. Also I think it is due to the fact that Heat's offense, while good or even very good, failed to really be excellent at many points this season. People remember that the Bulls offense was (number 1 in ORtg 4 of their 6 title years), even with an offensive non-entity like Rodman starting at the 4 (of course, the Bulls had Kukoc coming off the bench and the Heat's version of him (Miller) was injured most of the year). So, I think people expected a little more from the offense as that is considered Bosh's specialty and the credentials of the other 2 guys on that end are impeccable.
   71. stubbyc Posted: June 07, 2011 at 08:00 AM (#3847229)
For those unfamiliar with Doyel's work....this is pretty typical. I didn't even know he covered the NBA at all, but his college stuff is brutal. He likes to engage in public fights with coaches and take petty personal shots at 19 year olds. He makes himself the story.

The Lebron vitriol has really reached the point of embarrassment. I have found myself cheering for him purely to shut people up. Bucher got on the radio today and essentially called Lebron a role player on "Wade's team". It amazes me that people go out of their way to make sure Lebron does not get any credit. I wonder if people are going to look back at 2010-11 as the year sportswriters lost their minds.

Just out of curiosity....how many people on here think that someone other than Lebron James is the best basketball player on the planet?
   72. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: June 07, 2011 at 08:35 AM (#3847231)
Just out of curiosity....how many people on here think that someone other than Lebron James is the best basketball player on the planet?

I can't remember seeing anyone ever say this on this thread.

I think you could _maybe_ put together a case for Dwight Howard if you tried hard enough, but it would be really, really tenuous and require some pretty fringe theories about value (e.g. a strong belief that the 1-4 offense is best possible and in trickle-down effect from having a stopper at the rim). There is no plausible case for anyone else. It's kind of like with Jordan, the reason he was miles ahead of everyone else was his defense. Guys like Dirk and Durant and Paul and Nash and Wade are maybe close to LBJ on offensive value (you could maybe even argue very slightly ahead of) but he is light years ahead of all those guys on defense.
   73. NJ in DC (Now with temporary employment!) Posted: June 07, 2011 at 12:32 PM (#3847265)
PAGING STEAGLES: Potential Monta Ellis for Igoudala deal in the works. My initial reaction is that I like this deal for GSW. I don't get it as much from the PHI perspective. I like Jrue Holiday a lot, you lose your best defender, and you pick up a much better Lou Williams.
   74. Moses Taylor World Re-Tour 2.0: Warszawa Posted: June 07, 2011 at 02:29 PM (#3847345)
I'd missed a couple of days, and hadn't seen the new thread yet. So once again, I'll point out that I'm glad we ended the thread talking about something crappy, this time Penn St basketball.

I think you could _maybe_ put together a case for Dwight Howard if you tried hard enough, but it would be really, really tenuous and require some pretty fringe theories about value (e.g. a strong belief that the 1-4 offense is best possible and in trickle-down effect from having a stopper at the rim).

I think that undersells Howard's defensive impact - yes, LeBron is great defensively, but I don't think (can't say whether or not there's support for this), Howard has a much bigger impact defensively every game than LeBron. And Howard's offense improved quite a bit this season. A lot of us said Howard was our MVP pick for this past season, but that doesn't mean we can't also think LeBron is the best player.
   75. AROM Posted: June 07, 2011 at 02:54 PM (#3847363)
I think that undersells Howard's defensive impact - yes, LeBron is great defensively, but I don't think (can't say whether or not there's support for this), Howard has a much bigger impact defensively every game than LeBron. And Howard's offense improved quite a bit this season. A lot of us said Howard was our MVP pick for this past season, but that doesn't mean we can't also think LeBron is the best player.

I agree with this. Lebron is a great one on one defender. What Howard does, and what great centers do, is play man on team defense. Great defenders at the 1-4 spots can still sometimes wind up on bad defensive teams. Great defensive centers in their primes never wind up on bad defensive teams.
   76. Jimmy P Posted: June 07, 2011 at 03:03 PM (#3847381)
My initial reaction is that I like this deal for GSW. I don't get it as much from the PHI perspective. I like Jrue Holiday a lot, you lose your best defender, and you pick up a much better Lou Williams.

I think it makes sense for both teams. It helps Philly get out from Iggy's contract which is bigger than Ellis', and it gives them a marquee scorer. Sure, they'll take a defensive hit, but with Collins coaching they'll still play good D and hopefully Turner gets better. They need that go to guy.

GSW has to do something. Curry and Ellis together just isn't a great pair. Too similar with too much of the same weaknesses.
   77. steagles Posted: June 07, 2011 at 03:03 PM (#3847382)
PAGING STEAGLES: Potential Monta Ellis for Igoudala deal in the works. My initial reaction is that I like this deal for GSW. I don't get it as much from the PHI perspective. I like Jrue Holiday a lot, you lose your best defender, and you pick up a much better Lou Williams.
if they get back some combination of draft picks (specifically this year's 11th overall, which would then, hopefully, be used on biyombo), dorrell wright, and/or ekpe udoh, i'd do that. ;

i like ellis more than most, and i do think something has to be done to improve the roster, but unless there's another deal to be made (think asik for meeks), i would not entertain a straight up swap.
   78. steagles Posted: June 07, 2011 at 03:10 PM (#3847386)
   79. Joel W Posted: June 07, 2011 at 03:21 PM (#3847397)
Steagles, my first instinct is that you should be ecstatic about that. Appollo is about as good (evil?) as they come. The guy is likely whip smart, and my guess is this is more like a Cuban "well what else am I supposed to do with all this money" move, and less a profit thing.
   80. steagles Posted: June 07, 2011 at 03:26 PM (#3847405)
if they get back some combination of draft picks (specifically this year's 11th overall, which would then, hopefully, be used on biyombo), dorrell wright, and/or ekpe udoh, i'd do that. ;
oh, and if i'm not mistaken, there cannot be a trade of the 11th overall pick until after it's made, so this could take a little while if that is part of the negotiations.
   81. Moses Taylor World Re-Tour 2.0: Warszawa Posted: June 07, 2011 at 03:28 PM (#3847408)
i like ellis more than most, and i do think something has to be done to improve the roster, but unless there's another deal to be made (think asik for meeks), i would not entertain a straight up swap.

Maybe more than most here, but obviously not more than the Sixers brass. Then again, even in jest, your counter proposals show you don't value Ellis highly at all. And keep your grubby hands out of the Bulls roster; the Bulls wouldn't consider that deal for a split second.

oh, and if i'm not mistaken, there cannot be a trade of the 11th overall pick until after it's made, so this could take a little while if that is part of the negotiations.

It's not, so don't worry about it.
   82. steagles Posted: June 07, 2011 at 03:40 PM (#3847420)
the sixers can't trade iggy for ellis without significant secondary assets also coming along.

yes, ellis fits a need for a primary scorer, but if you make that deal 1 for 1, you put the sixers back into the lottery for a half decade.

making that swap means downgrading defensively at both SG and SF, and if you do that, and continue to start spencer hawes at C, you're a bottom 10 defense, at best.

and considering defense was the main asset of the 2010-2011 team, you'd be killing the team you've put together. you just can't do that.
   83. Moses Taylor World Re-Tour 2.0: Warszawa Posted: June 07, 2011 at 04:05 PM (#3847446)
the sixers can't trade iggy for ellis without significant secondary assets also coming along.

As the linked article points out, that isn't true from a contractual standpoint. You *want* or think the Sixers should get more back, but that's a different story. It's a gamble on Turner, as much as anything else, and also them saying they can't do anything with Iggy as the main offensive guy. Were I a Sixers fan, I would agree that this move in and of itself doesn't mean the team will be better. But I would see it as a logical first step to contention. IMO, the Sixers are further away from true contention than you think and I think this is a decent enough start at trying to shape them into an actual contender. A few small changes here or there weren't going to be enough to take this current team to one that can compete and beat the Bulls or Heat. A Holliday/Ellis/Turner core is pretty young, and as a whole, a better starting point than Holliday/Iggy/Turner (partly because Turner and Iggy aren't good fits together).

It also does improve their offense for next season (assuming Turner isn't a total bust).
   84. steagles Posted: June 07, 2011 at 04:20 PM (#3847464)
But I would see it as a logical first step to contention.
i think this is completely wrong. replacing iggy with ellis kills any sense of what this team was. maybe they'd be better in 3 years, but the next 2, they'd be in the mid-lottery. it's 2 steps back, and maybe a leap forward sometime down the road. maybe.

As the linked article points out, that isn't true from a contractual standpoint
2 words: andris biedrins.

It also does improve their offense for next season (assuming Turner isn't a total bust).
if you're making that assumption, the offense will improve anyway.
   85. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 07, 2011 at 04:28 PM (#3847473)
i think this is completely wrong. replacing iggy with ellis kills any sense of what this team was. maybe they'd be better in 3 years, but the next 2, they'd be in the mid-lottery. it's 2 steps back, and maybe a leap forward sometime down the road. maybe.

Not to speak for Moses, but I think he's saying the Sixers are highly unlikely to be competing for anything other than a possible 1st round upset in the next two years, and that they may as well cash Iguodala in for a younger piece and look to 2013 at this point, rather than get caught up in the limbo of middling NBA teams. I think the willingness to do this move depends in part on what you want from the Sixers - are you happy for the next couple of years with taking stabs at 45 wins and maybe lucking into the 2nd round some year if you can grab the 5 or 6 seed, or would you rather wait and take a shot at winning 55-60 games in 3-4 years (granting that the chances of this working out are lower than the other scenario)?
   86. smileyy Posted: June 07, 2011 at 04:38 PM (#3847486)
ESPN is pulling out the big (obnoxious) guns. Now Rick Reilly is defending LeBron James. Problem is, if Reilly and Simmons get into a war of printed words, everyone's brain is going to lose.
   87. Jimmy P Posted: June 07, 2011 at 04:40 PM (#3847490)

No, now you're overrating Iggy and underrating Ellis. And, like Moses said, the Sixers as constituted aren't contenders. This move won't make them any closer, but it could get them there quicker. I think Thad Young and Turner both step up as wing defenders in Iggy's place.

2 words: andris biedrins.

He sucks. You don't want him. Whatever flashes he showed years ago are gone.

if you're making that assumption, the offense will improve anyway.

True, but not in the same way. This gives them a one-on-one late shot clock guy. They don't have that guy on their roster.
   88. PJ Martinez Posted: June 07, 2011 at 04:47 PM (#3847499)
Lots on Ricky Rubio at The Painted Area, including this note:

For fans who want another glimpse of Rubio, note that the best-of-five Finals of the Spanish ACB between Rubio's Regal FC Barcelona team and surprising Bilbao, a heavy underdog, begin on Thursday at 2:45 p.m. ET (2045 CET) and can be watched online via ACB360 on ACB.com.
   89. steagles Posted: June 07, 2011 at 05:20 PM (#3847522)
No, now you're overrating Iggy and underrating Ellis.
in a vacuum, i wouldn't disagree, but on this sixers team, the defense powers the engine, and the defense is centered around iguodala.

monta ellis alone isn't going to make the sixers a great offensive team. they still won't have enough shooters, they still won't have an interior presence. ellis changes neither of those things. maybe it takes a step forward, but it won't be top 10 in efficiency, and if you replace iguodala with ellis, the defense would crater.

if the choice is between making that straight up deal or standing pat, i think it's a no brainer to stand pat.

this team may not be great, but it's fun and it's interesting. and yes, against the consensus opinion in this thread, i think it's still dangerous.

i think they can beat chicago in a series. i think they can beat boston. i think they can beat new york and orlando and atlanta.

i'm not so willing to throw that potential away just because people who have only watched the team a handful of times in the last 3 years thinks they have no room to grow.
   90. AROM Posted: June 07, 2011 at 05:34 PM (#3847533)
are you happy for the next couple of years with taking stabs at 45 wins and maybe lucking into the 2nd round some year if you can grab the 5 or 6 seed, or would you rather wait and take a shot at winning 55-60 games in 3-4 years

I think there's another option - that is take the decent core there right now and hope that an opportunity presents itself to acquire a superstar or two. A few years ago Boston was a in the position of being good enough (when Pierce was healthy) of getting to the playoffs but not being a legit contender. Then - Garnett. Last year Miami was in such a position, right before the decision.

There may not be any options out there right now, but things could change in a year or two. Maybe somebody could convince Dwight Howard to follow in the footsteps of Moses Malone instead of Shaq.
   91. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 07, 2011 at 05:40 PM (#3847535)
i think they can beat chicago in a series. i think they can beat boston. i think they can beat new york and orlando and atlanta.

i'm not so willing to throw that potential away just because people who have only watched the team a handful of times in the last 3 years thinks they have no room to grow.

Do you really think they are the 2nd or 3rd best team in the East, that they would beat any of those teams?

Look, the Sixers won 41 games. They do not, as currently constructed, have the pieces to win a title. They are not particularly close, either. I can see the argument for wanting to keep Iguodala - maybe you have no shot at a title, but as you correctly say, it's a fun team as constructed that should get a bit better. If you're happy with that, and fine with no real shot at a title for the foreseeable future, then great, have fun.
   92. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 07, 2011 at 05:43 PM (#3847537)
AROM - fair point. It's very difficult for any team to pull this off (simply because there are so few superstars made available), and there's no one on the Sixers right now as good as Pierce was in 2007 to build alongside, but it's probably roughly as good of a bet as going back to the lottery and getting lucky there, with the added benefit that the Sixers would at least be decent in the interim. It also works well for the Sixers, in that they have a bunch of good young players with upside, but none who seem to be threatening to turn into superstars. Those are guys you don't mind trading for a Dwight Howard.
   93. andrewberg Posted: June 07, 2011 at 05:49 PM (#3847540)
From PJ's link:
Rubio has not done much in the ACB playoffs, relegated to a reserve role behind veteran Victor Sada for the last five games. And that's something consistent with we've noticed in trying to scout Rubio's games this season: they're almost irrelevant because Rubio hasn't been asked to do much of anything.

He's a player who excels in the pick-and-roll and transition, yet Barcelona doesn't put him in those roles very often. While we disagree with how Rubio's been deployed, we can also understand that he's still a player in development, and Barcelona is a team primarily interested in competing for European and Spanish trophies, rather than developing a player for the NBA.

I've been saying the same thing for months.
   94. steagles Posted: June 07, 2011 at 06:11 PM (#3847549)
Do you really think they are the 2nd or 3rd best team in the East, that they would beat any of those teams?
do i think they're that? no. do i think they're so far behind that they don't have a punchers chance against any other team in the eastern conference in a 7 game series? also, no.

If you're happy with that, and fine with no real shot at a title for the foreseeable future, then great, have fun.
i think that's a false assumption. just because they don't trade iguodala for monta ellis right at this moment doesn't mean they won't trade him at some point in the future, and it doesn't mean they'll get a worse package, either.

i don't see what the rush is to blow the team up. collins has only been there 1 year, and the rotation they have (holiday, williams, meeks, turner, young, speights, and hawes) is insanely young. this isn't the 2008 team, with a roster full of mediocre veterans making a late season charge for an ill-fated playoff run. this is a young team, and so long as they don't sabotage it from the start, it has a future.
   95. Famous Original Joe C Posted: June 07, 2011 at 06:24 PM (#3847567)
do i think they're so far behind that they don't have a punchers chance against any other team in the eastern conference in a 7 game series? also, no.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

i think that's a false assumption. just because they don't trade iguodala for monta ellis right at this moment doesn't mean they won't trade him at some point in the future, and it doesn't mean they'll get a worse package, either.

This is also a fair point.
   96. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: June 07, 2011 at 06:51 PM (#3847590)
Chris Mannix at Sports Illustrated has reported that Ray Allen exercised his player option for next year.

Regarding the Sixers, I mostly agree with Steagles. I think they're an above-average center and some plausible age-related improvement away from being a contender. This year they had an expected record of 45-37, and their starting point guard is still just 20 years old. Maybe Brand will never be this good again, but there's plenty of room for improvement elsewhere. Spencer Hawes and Andres Nocioni, both of whom are very bad, played more combined minutes than Iguodala. Speights barely gets off the bench but probably still has decent trade value. Guys with his size and scoring ability are rare. Nocioni's contract is finally expiring and therefore is a plus for trade purposes. If they can turn those trade chips into a good but not great center (Okafor?), I think they're immediately scary with a chance for more as all the players in their early 20s develop.

I don't see how Monta Ellis ever improves their chances of winning. He's an exciting player, but in my opinion he's too bad defensively and too unpredictable offensively to be a significant part of a contending team. I could imagine Iguodala as the third best player on a championship team constructed in a variety of ways, but I couldn't imagine Monta pulling that off unless the team has a truly elite center like Dwight Howard. Matador defense and isolation offense generally isn't a winning combination.

Steagles and I differ is in our opinions of a Meeks for Asik swap. Whereas he would be in favor of such a deal, if that happened I think I would cry.
   97. stubbyc Posted: June 07, 2011 at 07:12 PM (#3847606)
I also like the Iguodala-Ellis deal much more from Golden State's POV. Iguodala and Udoh would give them a very good foundation defensively. I don't know how Ellis fits in with Holiday/Turner/Lou Williams.
   98. Jimmy P Posted: June 07, 2011 at 07:19 PM (#3847609)
After reading this, I'm now convinced that Steagles is Zach Lowe
   99. steagles Posted: June 07, 2011 at 07:20 PM (#3847610)
Maybe Brand will never be this good again
the interesting thing about that is that i think he could shoulder a more significant offensive load (think 18 PPG instead of 14) if he didn't have to anchor the defense 35 minutes per game.

Speights barely gets off the bench but probably still has decent trade value.
i think that was one of the big mistakes of last season. i understand why that was, but i think they could have really inflated his value around the league if they'd have just put him on the floor and told him to score. i mean, as it is, with him playing 11 minutes per game, and DNP-CD'ing once every 4 games, he averaged 17 and 10 per 36 minutes on 49% shooting. if they'd have kept his issues a little more under-wraps, it's possible he'd have even been an attractive enough 2nd piece to get you a real gamechanger in an iguodala deal.
Steagles and I differ is in our opinions of a Meeks for Asik swap. Whereas he would be in favor of such a deal, if that happened I think I would cry.
the team needs a center.

plus, if you've got holiday and williams and turner and ellis, there's not much room for meeks.
   100. The Essex Snead Posted: June 07, 2011 at 07:27 PM (#3847617)
[98] Funny, I missed the part where Lowe says the Warriors need to sweeten the pot in order to make the trade work.
Page 1 of 18 pages  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BarrysLazyBoy
for his generous support.