Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

OT: NBA thread—November2012

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, but with our own thread, we won’t detract from what the site is really about: um…baseball?

link is to the previous month’s thread. 

oh, and since i can make everyone see this every time they click on this thread, let us discuss the…unique hairstylings of the sixers projected frontcourt:

starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: October 31, 2012 at 11:05 PM | 894 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nba

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 9 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
   401. JJ1986 Posted: November 13, 2012 at 04:47 PM (#4301694)
It's really hard to believe that someone once gave Matt Carroll a six-year contract. In his best season he was a below average player whose only talent was shooting.
   402. andrewberg Posted: November 13, 2012 at 04:50 PM (#4301698)
Also, the D'Antoni hire has started the Pau trade rumor machine up again.

It seems to me that Pau makes more sense with D'Antoni around. I know he doesn't love going big, but there will be plenty of chances for him to slide over to the 5 instead of having a real backup center. If he plays 15 minutes per game behind Dwight and 18 next to him, I think the team will be better anyway.
   403. rr Posted: November 13, 2012 at 04:52 PM (#4301703)
I guess I need to recalibrate my expectations from the Buss family.

The Busses would have made a good network mini-series back in the 1980s, and they might fly as a reality show now. But there is not a lot of evidence that they are stupid when it comes to running the Lakers (Jerry's DUI was life stupid but not basketball stupid, and admittedly Jim certainly has plenty of years ahead of him to mess everything up).
   404. rr Posted: November 13, 2012 at 04:53 PM (#4301705)
It seems to me that Pau makes more sense with D'Antoni around.

I hope you're right; Pau is my favorite guy on the team. But he is slow, so a lot of people think that will be an issue.
   405. smileyy Posted: November 13, 2012 at 04:53 PM (#4301706)
The Onion article was plausible until about halfway through...which makes for a pretty good Onion article.

Though it might not be that far off the mark: Phil Jackson thought it was his call

I can buy into the narrative from the earlier poster that he didn't really want the job, and played it so that the worst that could happen to him would be to have to coach a championship contender #zenmastered
   406. rr Posted: November 13, 2012 at 05:09 PM (#4301722)
By the way, Andrew, sorry about Budinger. That sucks. Fortunately, Shved combines Louis Amundson's hair choices with Michael Jordan's skillset, so the Wolves are doing just fine anyway.
   407. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: November 13, 2012 at 05:25 PM (#4301741)
Fortunately, Shved combines Louis Amundson's hair choices

Did you not get the memo?
   408. andrewberg Posted: November 13, 2012 at 05:27 PM (#4301745)
By the way, Andrew, sorry about Budinger. That sucks. Fortunately, Shved combines Louis Amundson's hair choices with Michael Jordan's skillset, so the Wolves are doing just fine anyway.

Yeah, it looks like Love, Rubio, Barea, Budinger, and Pekovic will all be out of action for the next game against Charlotte. That would be an ok starting 5. My dad and I were gushing about Shved last night over the phone, then he threw cold water on it by pointing out that he'll just tear up his knee in the next few weeks anyway.

More than anything, he played like Wade down the stretch last night, and he was the whole offense. He had the ball in his hands constantly, always looked to get into the lane, did so easily most of the time, got to the line constantly, found open shooters when they were there, and made enough jumpers to keep the defense honest. He was on the court with Ridnour, Cunningham, Kirilenko, and Amundson, and he held off a charge by Dallas.

Also, Shved cut his hair for some reason. I think it was that the announcers kept confusing him with Amundson when they were on the court together.
   409. rr Posted: November 13, 2012 at 05:29 PM (#4301748)
Yeah, it looks like
Love, Rubio, Barea, Budinger, and Pekovic
will all be out of action for the next game against Charlotte. That would be an ok starting 5.

And awesome in its collective whiteness.
   410. smileyy Posted: November 13, 2012 at 05:38 PM (#4301758)
I really enjoyed watching Budinger play for Arizona during those lost-in-the-desert years as Lute Olson's career ended. Any Arizona fans here?
   411. smileyy Posted: November 13, 2012 at 05:38 PM (#4301760)
Also my mind is blown that "Shved" is not a nickname or shortening of a name.
   412. andrewberg Posted: November 13, 2012 at 05:42 PM (#4301765)
Also my mind is blown that "Shved" is not a nickname or shortening of a name.

It's short for Shvedsanity, which is sweeping the nation.
   413. smileyy Posted: November 13, 2012 at 05:43 PM (#4301766)
So I'm experiencing Shvedsanitysanity? If DW(DWTDD)D catches Shvedsanitysanity, we're all in trouble.
   414. rr Posted: November 13, 2012 at 05:50 PM (#4301777)
I think Shveducation works better.
   415. smileyy Posted: November 13, 2012 at 06:45 PM (#4301843)
"You didn't know? You best Shveducate yourself, son..."
   416. andrewberg Posted: November 13, 2012 at 07:37 PM (#4301914)
I just heard that Miami is trading Lebron, Wade, Ray Allen, and Udonis Haslem to the Raptors for Jonas Valanciunas and a future draft pick.

Edit: Wrong sport thread.
   417. andrewberg Posted: November 14, 2012 at 12:53 AM (#4302166)
Extremely bizarre finish in LA. Danny Green mad a 3 to go up 2 with 9 left. Lakers ran an inbound play to Pau, looked like mwp forgot the play, and Kobe couldn't get free so Pau had to shoot the three and missed it. LA played Dwight, Pau, Jamison, mwp, Kobe down the stretch,
   418. OCF Posted: November 14, 2012 at 02:12 AM (#4302180)
LA played Dwight, Pau, Jamison, mwp, Kobe down the stretch

No point guard. Of course, neither Nash nor Blake was available. So who would you nominally call the PG there - Kobe?
   419. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: November 14, 2012 at 06:54 AM (#4302196)
Went to Cavs-Nets last night, some thoughts:

1. First time seeing Kyrie Irving in person and it was thrilling. Every time he got the ball in isolation you could feel/hear the crowd hold its breath in anticipation of him unleashing his crossover. Defense was every bit as bad as advertised. It's tough to play D as a PG in this league at this point, but Irving was generally lazy on screens/chasing his man around. I felt like he had pretty good closeout technique the few times he engaged but he also failed to put a body on his man following the shot, leading to a few OREB chances for the Nets.

2. Brook Lopez was brutal. I love Anderson Varejao and think he's a very good, albeit never healthy, player. However, when Varejao is calling for the ball against you or grabbing the rebound and instead of taking it straight up pulling out so he can go ISO gainst you because he knows you have absolutely no shot at stopping him? That's a problem.

3. Joe Johnson did a whole lot of nothing before hitting a bunch of garbage time 3s. Was not impressed, but I've never been a big Joe Johnson fan.

4. CLE was down 25 or so in the 3rd but closed it to about 12 heading into the 4th. Byron Scott then sat Irving and Varejao for about the first 4 minutes of the 4th and that's where the game was lost because the CLE bench is truly terrible. Outside of Irving and Varejao there's just really nothing there, young or old, so I think we can look forward to Kyrie bolting as soon as he gets the chance.

5. The arena was exceptionally nice (I went to one of the Jay-Z concerts but this was my first basketball game there). Fans weren't into the game at all though and it wasn't a packed house. Loudest cheers in the introduction were for Williams, Irving and Varejao.
   420. Jimmy P Posted: November 14, 2012 at 11:22 AM (#4302368)
It does not look like it's going to go well for Royce White in Houston
   421. The District Attorney Posted: November 14, 2012 at 11:55 AM (#4302421)
It does not look like it's going to go well for Royce White in Houston
Yeah... and it seems like the Rockets have bent over backwards for him¹, so I'm not sure at this point what more he could expect. Open to more info, though.

¹ As far as accepting the anxiety issue, anyway. For whatever reason, they haven't actually been playing him (I think he had migraines for a day or two, but they haven't used him otherwise, either), and perhaps that's part if not all of the tension.
   422. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: November 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM (#4302448)
5. The arena was exceptionally nice (I went to one of the Jay-Z concerts but this was my first basketball game there). Fans weren't into the game at all though and it wasn't a packed house. Loudest cheers in the introduction were for Williams, Irving and Varejao.

Thanks for the report; I was curious. I'm hoping BKN turns into a spillover destination when you want to see a visiting team, or just a "filler" NBA game, but don't want to pay Garden prices. By mid to late afternoon yesterday, tickets were $40-$50 for lower corner on Stubhub, which is a good sign. The arena doesn't come across as electric on the YES broadcast, or really anything close.

I think fans are going to start seeing more of the Blatche/Evans combo as the season goes along. Cavs had 60 points in the paint last night, which is ridiculous.
   423. andrewberg Posted: November 14, 2012 at 04:32 PM (#4302813)
The talk about the Lakers' lineup and Russell Westbrook's lack of assists got me thinking about something- what if the Lakers told Kobe when he got drafted that he was going to be their PG, and he just stayed there for his career? What would his career have looked like? Robin has talked about how he does not have elite vision across the rest of the court, which would certainly play a part. What would he have been like?
   424. Spivey Posted: November 14, 2012 at 09:49 PM (#4303040)
Memphis/OKC is looking interesting.

Milwaukee is beating Indiana by 30 and while I do strongly feel that Milwaukee is a legit (lower level) playoff team, Indiana has not looked good this year and they need to get their #### together quick.
   425. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: November 14, 2012 at 10:06 PM (#4303048)
I feel like the score board is wrong in pheonix no way can it be 57-51 right now
   426. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: November 14, 2012 at 10:08 PM (#4303049)
Not that its too many but i swaer boozer hit 2 shots once they were at 56
   427. rr Posted: November 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM (#4303066)
The Bobcats are now 4-3.

Also, Arnovitz has a piece up on Memphis maybe taking the next step, and they certainly picked up a nice W in OKC tonight.
   428. smileyy Posted: November 14, 2012 at 11:01 PM (#4303080)
Does James Harden score more on nights that OKC loses?
   429. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: November 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM (#4303118)
Some thoughts on the Bulls OT win in Phoenix that included an blown 2nd half 18 point lead by Chicago due to a Telfair led run:

-Scola (24&11;) and Boozer (28&14;) must love playing against each other. Their offensive moves are so much more effective against guys who always bite on the first fake.
-Beasley: Bad. Had a mini-run in OT, but oh so bad. Virtually no basketball instincts.
-Watching Hinrich play is slowly draining the life out of me.
-Butler needs to play more. Only 9 mins tonight, 12 per on the season. He's good enough defensively already, and the offense looks better than last year.
-Broken record time, but Noah (42mins) and Deng (46mins) are going to be ground to dust by the All Star break. I'd love to see Noah play in the All Star game this year, but quite frankly, he could use the time off.
-Looking at the box score and I see Jermaine O'Neal is on the Suns roster?!?! I feel like I vaguely remember this, but also think that could be something that might have also happened 5 years ago.
   430. smileyy Posted: November 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM (#4303120)
a Telfair led run

Phrases I wouldn't have expected to see...ever?
   431. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: November 15, 2012 at 09:06 AM (#4303226)
   432. Famous Original Joe C Posted: November 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM (#4303270)
The Bobcats are now 4-3.

Which tells us everything we need to know about teams like Memphis and the Clippers taking "the next step" based on 7-8 games. Not to say that they might not, just that some people need to chill a bit on making rpnouncements about teams making the leap. Let's give it 20-30 games at least. No one has proven anything nefore November (or even December) ends unless they are like 15-2 or something. I feel like we go through this every year and everyone always forgets.
   433. Famous Original Joe C Posted: November 15, 2012 at 10:53 AM (#4303307)
turner and wright combined for 9 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, and a steal on 2/11 shooting over 43 combined minutes last night. if they keep doing that, and bynum remains unable to run, this is going to be one hell of an ugly team.
   434. Bitter Mouse Posted: November 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM (#4303316)
No one has proven anything before November (or even December) ends unless they

are the Timberwolves and manage to stay around .500 with the crapload of injuries they have faced. But your larger point is of course 100% correct.

Wolves sign Josh Howard to a 1 year Vet minimum.
   435. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: November 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM (#4303317)
so, the sixers lost last night to the winless, 0-8 detroit pistons. by 18 points. at home. yeah, noone's gonna come out of that smelling like roses:

1, the sixers had 4 turnovers on the game, which might be a franchise low, but they also shot 30% from the field, and you're not gonna do that and win. the pistons came in to this game allowing 100+ PPG. the sixers scored 76. just...awful.

2, evan turner and dorell wright: 9 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 0 blocks. i'm not quite sure whether this is a chicken or an egg type thing, but they both set season lows for minutes played last night.

3, dispencer hawesome update: 5 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist. i'd say that's 3% hawesome.

and lastly, the sixers defense is basically what the celtics offense was last year. they're allowing a very high percentage of shots to be made (44/36), but they're killing it on the glass (77% DRB%) and they're forcing a ton of turnovers (17 per game), and all told, they're 3rd in the league in D-rating. the offense is ####### horrendous, though.

and actually, since i made the statement a while back that this sixers team right now, without bynum, is basically about the same as last year's sixers, i'd now like to amend that to say this sixers team, without bynum, is basically the same as last year's team -- except, for the difference between lou williams and nick young. now, i really hope that nick young isn't this terrible for the entire season, but right now, the difference between these two teams is that lou came off the bench and scored 15 PPG, whereas young is coming off the bench and scoring 8.
   436. Booey Posted: November 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM (#4303332)
so, the sixers lost last night to the winless, 0-8 detroit pistons. by 18 points. at home. yeah, noone's gonna come out of that smelling like roses:

The Sixers have my permission to lose tomorrow night at home as well. After that, feel free to start winning again. :-)
   437. andrewberg Posted: November 15, 2012 at 11:39 AM (#4303340)

Haven't made the corresponding roster move, but it appears that Will Conroy's partial deal will be waived. Makes sense to dump Conroy- he doesn't help with the glut of wing injuries (the stretch where RA tried Shved, Lee, and Conroy last night was the worst stretch of the game) and what's the point of appeasing Brandon Roy if he's the worst player in the league?

It was really depressing to be behind by 14 all of last night, then stage a furious run, tie it up after a Chris Webber timeout turnover (I think that's the official name for that rule, right?) then give up a crazy jumper to Kemba to win with .7 secs left. The Cats made so many off balance long twos last night that I figured we were doomed from the start. It was a gut punch to come back and lose to the same thing anyway.

Hoping some combination of Pek, Roy, and Barea is ready for Friday.
   438. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: November 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM (#4303349)

They're just doing that to shut up Tyrone Terrell, right?
   439. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: November 15, 2012 at 11:59 AM (#4303353)
Another triumph for the Pistons, the whitest team in the league.

Yes, a lot of people think the Twolves are the whitest team just because they have a lot of white guys, but they could have an entire roster of Kevin Loves and Rubios and it wouldn't add up to the total whiteness provided by Jonas Jerebko and Kyle Singler.
   440. AROM Posted: November 15, 2012 at 12:11 PM (#4303366)
Yes, a lot of people think the Twolves are the whitest team just because they have a lot of white guys, but they could have an entire roster of Kevin Loves and Rubios and it wouldn't add up to the total whiteness provided by Jonas Jerebko and Kyle Singler.

The T-Wolves are imposters. They aren't white, they are European.

441. andrewberg Posted: November 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM (#4303374)
We are a nation of immigrant basketball players.
   442. Jimmy P Posted: November 15, 2012 at 01:10 PM (#4303407)
Z-Bo and Perk supposedly got into a verbal confrontation last night after they were ejected. No punches thrown (come on, it's an NBA "fight"), but the NBA is investigating. The police have already found nothing to press charges on.
   443. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: November 15, 2012 at 01:27 PM (#4303420)
Robin Lopez at Splash Mountain (h/t Grantland).

---

Perk ran out of there and down the tunnel quick after his ejection; maybe he was trying to get to ZBo before he left. Perk looks less scary and demented with a full goatee, btw.
   444. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: November 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM (#4303990)
Running out of reasons NOT to talk about the Knicks. I can only fight it so much longer.
   445. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: November 15, 2012 at 11:37 PM (#4304007)
playing over their heads - obviously over their heads - but getting your hopes up is seeming more and more fair.
also, mike woodson.

shaun livingston is back in the league - w/ dc, pargo cut to make room.
   446. King Mekong Posted: November 16, 2012 at 12:12 AM (#4304024)
Was an interesting game. Knicks definitely impressed. Any ideas where it's all coming from? It seemed like long range shooters with Tyson chandlers D makes them pretty though when the shooters are landing shots. This with a pretty poor game from melo.
   447. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: November 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM (#4304027)
[446] There is a guy on Knickerblogger who called this. His theory was that even if the Knicks didn't improve in any way from last year's poor offensive showing as far as shooting/converting shots into points, the offense would be vastly improved because the TO% was going to be so greatly improved. He also strongly believed that Novak+Smith was the greatest combination of high volume and high % 3 point shooting in the NBA. Finally, he felt Jason Kidd would be crucial to moving the ball after the intiial penetration and finding the shooters.
   448. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: November 16, 2012 at 12:29 AM (#4304031)
RT @Monroe_SA: Stephen Jackson on NYK: "They went from 2 guys shooting all the balls to team everybody has confidence in everybody else”
   449. JC in DC Posted: November 16, 2012 at 05:54 AM (#4304053)
I thought Melo played well. Most impressive, as Stephen Jackson seems to note, is their confidence in Woodson's game plan and thus each other. Melo moved the ball very well yesterday. With the caveat that things look great when you're winning, I've really been impressed by Felton so far. His timing with the entry pass is much better than Lin's. Grunwald's moves look good and Woodson really has the team bought in.

But, Amare.
   450. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: November 16, 2012 at 06:01 AM (#4304054)
But, Amare.

Well if they keep this up or something close to this, he'll return when they're around 15-5 and I think Woodson will have enough power to make him a bench player. I can see him being useful in that role even if it pisses him off.
   451. Conor Posted: November 16, 2012 at 08:45 AM (#4304089)
[446] There is a guy on Knickerblogger who called this. His theory was that even if the Knicks didn't improve in any way from last year's poor offensive showing as far as shooting/converting shots into points, the offense would be vastly improved because the TO% was going to be so greatly improved. He also strongly believed that Novak+Smith was the greatest combination of high volume and high % 3 point shooting in the NBA. Finally, he felt Jason Kidd would be crucial to moving the ball after the intiial penetration and finding the shooters.

I wasn't lurking at Knickerblogger all season; I was going to say this sounds like the immortal Ruru but you didn't mention anything about Melo and assisted baskets, so it must be someone else?
   452. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: November 16, 2012 at 09:19 AM (#4304107)
[451] I am talking about ruru, who I hate as much as it is possible to hate someone you've only interacted with over the internet.
   453. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: November 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM (#4304250)
   454. Spivey Posted: November 16, 2012 at 12:11 PM (#4304276)

Well if they keep this up or something close to this, he'll return when they're around 15-5 and I think Woodson will have enough power to make him a bench player. I can see him being useful in that role even if it pisses him off.

That's only part of it. The other part is if they think it's appropriate for him to be benched.
   455. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: November 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM (#4304297)
marcus campbell, stuck in qatar.

Crazy.
   456. Jimmy P Posted: November 16, 2012 at 07:06 PM (#4304700)
Royce White said today that he's thinking about walking away from the NBA.
   457. Fourth True Outcome Posted: November 16, 2012 at 07:45 PM (#4304713)
I haven't seen any direct quotes, but I saw it as more of an "I'm willing to walk away from the NBA" than an "I'm actively considering walking away." Either way, though, I hope he and Houston get on the same page, because I want to see what he can do on an NBA court.
   458. Booey Posted: November 16, 2012 at 08:19 PM (#4304728)
Dammit STEAGLES, tell your boys to start playing like they did against Detroit...
   459. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: November 16, 2012 at 10:26 PM (#4304761)
Dammit STEAGLES, tell your boys to start playing like they did against Detroit...
yeah, sorry about that.

actually, this game was very similar to the bucks game from monday night, in that the losing team (the sixers then, and the jazz tonight) got behind by double digits early, fought back to tie the game a few times, but they used so much energy trying to close the gap that they didn't have enough left in the tank to get themselves over the top late in the game.
   460. Maxwn Posted: November 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM (#4304772)
Pretty good game between Knicks and Memphis so far tonight. Rasheed's post game has come out of retirement, with much assistance from Rudy Gay.
   461. Spivey Posted: November 16, 2012 at 11:59 PM (#4304796)
Well the Knicks imploded in the 3rd, and it is looking like Memphis may do it in the 4th.
   462. Spivey Posted: November 17, 2012 at 12:07 AM (#4304800)
Having to deal with Gasol and Randolph is a really tall order, even for a team that has Chandler in the middle. This is why Memphis is a contender. They're really tough to match up with. And with Randolph and Gay both looking healthy this year, I think that they could and will be better than they were the last 2.
   463. rr Posted: November 17, 2012 at 06:57 PM (#4305187)
Reading Pelton's stuff behind the paywall post-Insider; couple of things to pass along.

He wrote a nuanced piece on the Brown firing in which he concludes that it was "the right decision."

I would guess that a lot of guys here already reached the next conclusion, but he and Paine did a study on previous teams that went 6-0 out of the gate, and based on what I read, it seems pretty likely that the start is meaningful for the Knicks, and they will be better than I and many other people thought--maybe quite a bit better.

Finally, big couple of days for UCLA sports.
   464. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: November 18, 2012 at 12:30 AM (#4305398)
Brian Windhorst ?@WindhorstESPN

Sixers fear Andrew Bynum has done additional damage to his knees by bowling recently, multiple sources told ESPN. Story link coming.
   465. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: November 18, 2012 at 01:26 AM (#4305422)
This is why Memphis is a contender. They're really tough to match up with.

As of right now, Memphis seems like the team most likely to beat Miami in a 7-game series. I think if you want to beat Miami, you need to have very good and physical players at power forward and center. I think Randolph and Marc Gasol are the best combo in that regard right now. That's also why I think it'd be a bad idea for the Lakers to trade Pau Gasol for Josh Smith. Obviously, Miami isn't the only team that you'd need to beat to win a title.
   466. Maxwn Posted: November 18, 2012 at 03:09 AM (#4305440)
Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I will say that I'm increasingly convinced that this is the best version yet of this Grizzlies team.
   467. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: November 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM (#4305494)
I demand a picture of Bynum in bowling shoes, a bowling shirt, and that hair cut.
   468. Tripon Posted: November 18, 2012 at 11:29 AM (#4305503)
Hey Maxwn, we'd redo the infamous Lakers-Grizz trade if you want. :)
   469. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: November 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM (#4305509)
Is Bynum becoming the basketball version of Carl Pavano?
   470. rr Posted: November 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM (#4305510)
Which tells us everything we need to know about teams like Memphis and the Clippers taking "the next step" based on 7-8 games

Not necessarily. I think that there are probably times that real improvement shows up in 5-7 game stetches. The Paine/Pelton thing about the Knicks indicates this.

That said, there are a couple of numbers to watch with the Grizzlies. One key for Memphis is whether adding Bayless and Ellington has actually upgraded their 3p shooting. Last year, they shot .326 from the arc, 25th in the NBA. So far this year, even with the 2/14 last night, they are .363, 12th in the league. Bayless is 10/20; Ellington is 12/30, and Pondexter and Conley are hitting as well.

They have a good defense, they force TOs, and they are tough on the O glass. But last year they were 19th in ORTG. Right now they are 4th. Another area like that is FT shooting: last year, they were at .759. 13th in the league. So far this year, .824--2nd.

471. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: November 18, 2012 at 08:45 PM (#4305705)
i think kyrie irving just had the worst game of his career. 9 points on 4/14 shooting, with 4 assists and 5 turnovers. [uncle] jrue holiday just locked him down, and there was one play in particular, with ~3 minutes left in the 4th quarter that was the most impressive 1 on 1 stop that i've seen from jrue to this point in his career.

things:
1, in addition to shutting down irving, jrue holiday put up 14 and 9 assists.
2, dorell wright only got ~10 minutes, so he didn't do a whole lot, but evan turner had the kind of game that i expected to be his norm when he was drafted. 19 points, 9 assists, and 6 rebounds on 8/12 shooting. you had playmaking, rebounding, and efficient scoring from the field (even including a made 3 pointer!!! -- he's actually shooting 5/11 from beyond the arc on the season). i'm definitely past the point where i'm expecting that kind of performance night-in, night-out, but it's good to see he's at least capable of doing it once in a while.
3, dispencer hawesome: 14 points, 9 rebounds, 4 blocks. i'd mark that up as 83% hawesome.
   472. andrewberg Posted: November 18, 2012 at 08:53 PM (#4305706)
I have 2 years of experience at seeing Ellington fail to have the physical talent or attention span to stay on the court. Hard to buy that it changed this offseason.
   473. rr Posted: November 18, 2012 at 09:18 PM (#4305714)
He is actually playing fewer MPG so far in Memphis than he did in Minnesota. His USG is about the same. The differences are that he is taking more 3s, hitting them at a decent clip, and that he has stopped committing TOs. So far, he has 1 TO in and 13 AST in 9 games. Last year, in 51 games, he had 33 AST total, and 26 TOs.

So, it may be a blip, it may be that he is being utilized in a role more suited to his skillset, or it may be some combination thereof.

His .324 3P% last year seems to have been an outlier, he was over 39% each of the first two years in Minnesota, which is obviously why Memphis wanted him.

474. Spivey Posted: November 18, 2012 at 09:37 PM (#4305725)
They have a good defense, they force TOs, and they are tough on the O glass. But last year they were 19th in ORTG. Right now they are 4th. Another area like that is FT shooting: last year, they were at .759. 13th in the league. So far this year, .824--2nd.

They also played most of last year without Randolph. People seem to be forgetting this when talking about last year. I'll grant the FT% is probably unsustainably high.
   475. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: November 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM (#4305745)
I demand a picture of Bynum in bowling shoes, a bowling shirt, and that hair cut.

I guess this will have to do...
   476. rr Posted: November 18, 2012 at 11:07 PM (#4305751)
Memphis was 16th in ORTG in 10/11, with Randolph. They were 19th last year, when he played 28 of the 66 games, starting 8. They were 27th and 25th in 3p%, shooting around .325 each year. So far this year, they are up to 12th at .366 and are more or less even with opponents from the arc. In 11/12, they lost that stat by two percentage points and gave up 140 more treys than they hit--a little over two per game.

Randolph matters a lot obviously, but Memphis' main weakness was perimeter shooting. If they have addressed it, they will be better.
   477. King Mekong Posted: November 19, 2012 at 12:02 AM (#4305763)
Lakers starters in pretty late. This was my first real exposure to them this season and their offense was really humming. Lin had a poor game offensively but really impressed in the other aspects of his game. His on ball defense looks really impressive to these eyes.
   478. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: November 19, 2012 at 12:53 AM (#4305771)
Lin had a poor game offensively but really impressed in the other aspects of his game. His on ball defense looks really impressive to these eyes.

I didn't watch the game so I can't comment but he did have the worst plus minus of anyone on the team at -20 last night.

Lin has actually been mediocre this season. He's shooting an awful percentage and has not been getting to the line very much. He is getting more assists, steals, and rebound than he was for the Knicks. He probably won't shoot this badly the whole season but I don't think he's going to score as much as he did last year for the Knicks.
   479. Bitter Mouse Posted: November 19, 2012 at 12:55 PM (#4305968)
Is Bynum becoming the basketball version of Carl Pavano?

So he will go to Minnesota and have a healthy and productive couple of years before completely disintegrating?
   480. smileyy Posted: November 19, 2012 at 12:59 PM (#4305973)
but I don't think he's going to score as much as he did last year for the Knicks.

Yeah, I think they got some other guy to do that for them.
   481. Jimmy P Posted: November 19, 2012 at 02:19 PM (#4306070)
Brandon Roy is having knee surgery this week. I haven't seen any talk of what the surgery is correcting.

Also, in college ball news, Rutgers and Maryland are joining the Big Ten.
   482. The District Attorney Posted: November 19, 2012 at 02:30 PM (#4306083)
So [Bynum] will go to Minnesota and have a healthy and productive couple of years before completely disintegrating?
If Roy is out, they do need diversity...
   483. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: November 19, 2012 at 02:38 PM (#4306101)
Long, long profile of Zach Randolph here.
   484. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: November 19, 2012 at 05:12 PM (#4306260)
i know the knicks have gotten a lot of love for their 7-1 start, but has anyone mentioned that brooklyn is 6-2 and riding a 5 game winning streak?

also, there are 6 teams in the eastern conference who are above .500, and 4 of them (NYK, BRK, PHI, and BOS) are in the atlantic division.
   485. Conor Posted: November 19, 2012 at 06:00 PM (#4306288)
I was just looking at the Nets schedule; they've beaten one good team (Boston at home) so far. The other wins were Toronto (home), Orlando (home and away), Cleveland (home), Sacramento (road).
   486. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: November 19, 2012 at 09:02 PM (#4306391)
I like John Turturro as street artist "Claude X." Is that wrong?
   487. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: November 19, 2012 at 09:12 PM (#4306398)
Very, sir
   488. smileyy Posted: November 19, 2012 at 09:45 PM (#4306422)
Is Kyrie Irving injury-prone yet?
   489. andrewberg Posted: November 19, 2012 at 10:33 PM (#4306489)
Liking John Turturro is never wrong. It would only be better if he was drawing a Wallace Beery wrestling picture.

Great end between Denver and Memphis. Up one with under a minute to go, Gallo stole the ball then made a three at the other end to put the game away. Memphis has been a nice story so far, but I am happy to see Denver rebounding, too.
   490. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: November 19, 2012 at 10:52 PM (#4306522)
Turturro is great. Those ads make me want to turn off every tv everywhere.
   491. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: November 19, 2012 at 11:18 PM (#4306532)
i think kyrie irving just had the worst game of his career. 9 points on 4/14 shooting, with 4 assists and 5 turnovers. [uncle] jrue holiday just locked him down, and there was one play in particular, with ~3 minutes left in the 4th quarter that was the most impressive 1 on 1 stop that i've seen from jrue to this point in his career.

In retrospect, amazing he played that well with a broken finger. Off hand, but still. And yes, he is injury prone. Which is a shame.
   492. andrewberg Posted: November 19, 2012 at 11:26 PM (#4306534)
The wolves may not overtake the lakers, robin, but at least I can hang my hat on the hoyas beating UCLA. Otto Porter had 18 on 10 shots, 11 boards, 5 assists, 3 steals, 5 blocks. That's filling up the stat sheet.
   493. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: November 19, 2012 at 11:46 PM (#4306541)
Turturro is great. Those ads make me want to turn off every tv everywhere.

Don't #### with the Jesus, man.
   494. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: November 20, 2012 at 03:00 AM (#4306569)
for today's dose of horrendous sixers blogging, we again visit liberty ballers:

I imagine this is what killing a guy while on ecstasy feels like. Last night it was a hell of a rush but waking up to this new world where everything is awful and I'm not hopped up on drugs is debilitating. The flawed morality of that metaphor should give you a sense as to what sort of mindset this has put me in.

I'm going to take a quick second to summon up all the self-pity bile I have in my digestive tracts and spew it out here. Let's just get it out of our system, okay?

This isn't fair. I am legitimately sad right now. We do not deserve this. The ownership, to an extent, does not deserve this. They should have been more forthright about his injury (they're saying January was the plan the whole time but I seem to remember them saying he was going to play OPENING NIGHT like a week beforehand) but I suppose I can't fault them too much for trying to sell tickets even though it didn't work -- WFC's empty as hell. The ownership came in, changed everything for the better, and made one of the philosophically smartest trades in franchise history. Then comes this punch in the dick.

In retrospect, amazing he played that well with a broken finger. Off hand, but still. And yes, he is injury prone. Which is a shame.
this is the play i was referring to. i'm sure there's at least one other point guard who could have made that play, but i'm not exactly sure who that would be.

495. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:10 AM (#4306572)
STEAGLES, why do you read these horrible blogs?
   496. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: November 20, 2012 at 09:12 AM (#4306616)
Not sure if anyone has noticed it, but...Javale McGee has been really, REALLY good so far. Both statistically and visually.
   497. Jimmy P Posted: November 20, 2012 at 12:05 PM (#4306771)
Not sure if anyone has noticed it, but...Javale McGee has been really, REALLY good so far. Both statistically and visually.

It's amazing what good coaching and teammates will do.

Makes you wonder if John Wall could be better, too
   498. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: November 20, 2012 at 03:59 PM (#4306978)
STEAGLES, why do you read these horrible blogs?
i like to be able to get a quick impression of the sixers after they play, or the morning after, and it just so happens that every single sixers blog on the internet is horrible, so mixed in with my sixers content, i get treated to these little nuggets of amazing.

also, it really helps that i have them all lined up in my rss feed, so i don't really have to go out of my way to read them.
   499. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:29 PM (#4307081)
this is from spike eskin:

I sent SLAM Magazine senior editor Tzvi Twersky (follow @TTwersky) a text message on Friday night, asking him if he had heard anything about Bynum injuring his left knee while bowling. As someone who is generally plugged in to these sort of things, I thought he might have some insight.

“I started investigating [the bowling] a little bit,” Twersky said. “And one of the people that I hit, a guy who has played with him before, he texted me back and said ‘I don’t know if that’s true [the bowling], but I do know that I’ve never met another player in the league who likes basketball less [than Bynum].”
   500. The Buddy Biancalana Hit Counter Posted: November 20, 2012 at 06:50 PM (#4307141)
I'm a big fan of the following two tweets from Haralabos Voulgaris:

The craziest thing about People quoting Synergy stats, there is really no rhyme or reason to much of the way Synergy charts playtypes.
For example, If a play starts out as PNR is defended then bogs down into ISO its charted as ISO. They chart end play dynamics, not plays.
The Synergy stuff, in my experience, is useful information regarding teams or players I don't see that often but frustrating in confirming or challenging opinions about those with which I'm extremely familiar. Then again, I'm not entirely confident in my evaluation of individual defense for players on a team I watch play every single game, so your level of doubt/skepticism could quite reasonably differ from my own.

Also, Synergy tracks plays but calls them possessions which is an irritant for me.
Page 5 of 9 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
JPWF13
for his generous support.