Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, December 03, 2012

OT: NBA Thread - December 2012

Since Jack Haley and Steve Scheffler were mentioned, it must be time for another thread.

The District Attorney Posted: December 03, 2012 at 10:17 PM | 513 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: basketball, nba, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 6 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > 
   401. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: December 23, 2012 at 02:09 AM (#4331324)
Lakers@Warriors turned into one helluva game, and it's one helluva win for the Lakers.
   402. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: December 23, 2012 at 02:42 AM (#4331332)
Lakers@Warriors turned into one helluva game, and it's one helluva win for the Lakers.
that sounds curiously similar to what i said last year when the sixers beat the wizards on a last second shot in the preseason.
   403. Into the Void Posted: December 23, 2012 at 05:05 AM (#4331344)
I feel to a certain degree that the Warriors gave it away in that one 10-0 stretch in the fourth, though the Lakers (specifically Nash and Kobe) really finished the game well. Artest was impressive too. Though I have to say that Gasol and Nash looked shockingly bad/slow on the defensive end. And Howard's five fouls in 15 minutes of play didn't help...though he laughed and was chipper after every one of them!! This, compared to Kobe's clutch angry/clenched teeth look is quite the contrast. And the last random note I'll mention- why does Dwight Howard take his Lakers jersey off when he goes to the bench? He did it at least 4-5 times tonight, and I can't recall another NBA player ever doing it.
   404. andrewberg Posted: December 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM (#4331390)
Might he be getting some kind of heat pad for his bad back?
   405. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM (#4331426)
Hawks pasted the Bulls last night. Not much to add to that. Deng and Noah both only played 34 minutes, which is a positive, I guess. Speaking of:

Let's get something straight: the reason the Bulls don't plan to hang on to Nate Robinson past Jan. 10 and thereby
guarantee his $1.2 million contract (1) for the year is because they don't want to pay luxury tax, not because they have an overcrowded backcourt or are anticipating the return of Derrick Rose. A source continues to insist Derrick is not coming back any time soon, if at all, this season (2), no matter how often the Bulls or anyone else in Chicago starts to get breathless about him practicing or working out. I understand why the Bulls do it -- they have to keep hope alive and ticket sales humming. But can we call the situation for what it is? A holding period. The organization made a conscious decision to be frugal this season, resulting in a roster that isn't as good or deep as last year's -- yet somehow that's being ignored just because they're still at the top of the division. Can the Bulls be better than either the Knicks (3) or the Heat, not to mention the Thunder? In a playoff series? Not a chance. And yet this is a roster that DRose should shortcut his recovery for? How about, instead, Derrick tunes himself up for next season and this summer the Bulls combine whatever pieces are necessary, including that No. 1 pick from Charlotte, to put a bona fide All-Star next to Rose?(4) How about the next time he has to go up against LeBron and Wade and Bosh, or KD and Russ and Ibaka, or any other three stars, he has at least one legitimate fellow All-Star caliber talent next to him? I love the grit of the current Bulls' team, particularly Noah and Deng, but they're not guaranteed to start on more than half the teams in the league(5). And they represent the next two best players the Bulls have. I'm sure there are plenty in Chicago who are dying to see Rose back this season. My take: they should be dying to see the Bulls find a wingman that make Rose's return worthwhile first.

That's former ESPNer, Ric Bucher. Now, from what I remember of him at the WWL, his analysis was always quite lacking compared to his reporting, and I don't think ESPN misses either. Lots to chew on here, so let's go one by one.

(1) This Bulls releasing NateRob thing isn't new, but the Bulls have been backing off that. It would be severely stupid, but totally in line with the decisions made this past offseason. So, at least for that, I appreciate someone taking a shot at the Bulls' org. No one in the mainstream has yet pointed out how the Bulls hard capped themselves by how they made their moves. As Deeks points out though, releasing NateRob saves the Bulls almost nothing.
(2) I highly doubt Rose sits out all year, barring a major setback. Yes, it's premature to give constant updates of his progress, but it would be unusual for someone to miss over a year with an ACL tear these days. Now, if the Bulls were to pressure him to sit out, it's something they've (Reinsdorf) done before, with MJ after he broke his foot his 2nd season. He came back against their wishes, they snuck into the playoffs to get demolished by the C's, but it did have MJ's 63 point game, so I say that was a net win.
(3) I've said my piece on this, but the idea that the Bulls should be worried they won't beat NYK is silly.
(4) Who is going to take Boozer/pick and give up an All Star wing? I mean, it's not unheard of, but trading for an All Star has been a meme/storyline around here for going on 10 years now. It ain't gonna happen.
(5) WTF?!?! Just so, so wrong. It so happens that the 3 best players this year all play the same position as Deng, but all 3 (and Deng) are spending time at the 4 so he could definitely start on even those teams. And what team has 2 players better than Noah at the 4/5 - maybe the Lakers? The Grizzlies? What a joke.
   406. Der-K thinks the Essex Green were a good band. Posted: December 23, 2012 at 04:06 PM (#4331552)
Gelabale - hadn't paid attention; sorry. Having a nice year - looks like he could be a 3-n-D, 4th wing, at first glance.
   407. robinred Posted: December 23, 2012 at 05:08 PM (#4331575)
Gasol and Nash looked shockingly bad/slow

You obviously don't watch the Lakers much. And Jarrett Jack always kills them.

The game was about what I expected; Nash makes a positive difference in many ways, both subtle and obvious, and at the same time adds to the problems on the perimeter at the defensive end. I will be interested to see if Nash can get Howard going; unlike Howard and Bryant, Nash and Howard would seem to click both in terms of personality and playing skills. Kobe shot too much and only got to the line once; based on Chris Ballard's Nash profile in The Art of a Beautiful Game, I suspect that Nash will in some respects try to "ease in" to the more ball-dominant role that he normally plays.

Calls on the blogs are very loud for D'Antoni to let Hill out of the doghouse on a permanent basis. As to Pau, as Hombre said a couple of weeks ago, the things that Pau can't do are the exact things that MDA wants a 4 to do, as MDA likes undersized 4s who can spot up and run, so he is now trying to use MWP in that role. Pau did some good things on O, but unless the Lakers get really hot and Pau starts looking different out there, I think they will still try to move him, if they can find a match, which will not be easy.

As Hombre suggests, that was actually a pretty big game for the Lakers, even though it took place on Dec. 22.

408. Rear Admiral Piazza Posted: December 23, 2012 at 06:37 PM (#4331607)
I can't find the answer to this, and honestly I wouldn't know how to find it -

prior to the T wolves, when was a team in the NBA this *white*? I'd be curious to see when was the last time a team went with an all white starting lineup.
   409. King Mekong Posted: December 23, 2012 at 06:47 PM (#4331611)
Another wolves question. Looks like they have a great on paper starting lineup. What do they need still for rotation? More 3 and D guys? does Williams have 3p range or project to? edit: just saw him hit a nice 3ball
   410. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: December 23, 2012 at 07:21 PM (#4331623)
(5) WTF?!?! Just so, so wrong. It so happens that the 3 best players this year all play the same position as Deng, but all 3 (and Deng) are spending time at the 4 so he could definitely start on even those teams. And what team has 2 players better than Noah at the 4/5 - maybe the Lakers? The Grizzlies? What a joke.
i'm pretty sure that noah would only be the 6th best sixers' forward, so i think that has to be taken into account.

prior to the T wolves, when was a team in the NBA this *white*? I'd be curious to see when was the last time a team went with an all white starting lineup.
after a very cursory look, the closest i could find was steve nash, eduardo najera, dirk nowitzky and shawn bradley on the 2003 mavericks.
   411. Spivey Posted: December 23, 2012 at 07:22 PM (#4331624)
The idea that Noah would only start for half the teams in the league is so absurd. The same is true with Deng, but it's particularly unsupportable about Noah.

Moses - if the Bulls are this against paying the luxury tax, why don't they amnesty Boozer? Are they already paying it and just don't want to pay more?
   412. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: December 23, 2012 at 08:12 PM (#4331646)
For most of his last year at Arizona. Derrick Williams was flirting with the single-season 3P% record. He ended up 42 for 74 (.568). Of course, there are a million reasons why you wouldn't expect that to translate, most of which are true in Williams' case. I wouldn't expect him to turn into a real 3 point threat, though stranger people have (Channing Frye?!?)

So far, I was wrong about Williams -- thought he would be an excellent pro -- though he is stil only 21.
   413. King Mekong Posted: December 23, 2012 at 08:23 PM (#4331648)
shvedsanity!
edit: cough, maybe not
   414. Lassus Posted: December 23, 2012 at 08:40 PM (#4331658)
My brother, a Syracuse resident, is on Facebook ranting about some sportscaster named Dick Gottlieb and Jim Boeheim. Does anyone know what this is about? I mean I COULD look it up myself, but I trust you guys.

EDIT: Ah, well, I guess it's Doug Gottlieb, who's been ragging that Boeheim is basically just a good coach, nothing great. Do the grumps here agree?
   415. NJ in DC (Now unemployed!) Posted: December 24, 2012 at 11:03 AM (#4331868)
1/3 of the way through the season, what does everyone's MVP ballot look like?
   416. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: December 24, 2012 at 11:28 AM (#4331871)
1. Lebron (because it's always going to be Lebron for a while for me.)
2. Durant
3. Paul
4. Melo
5. Duncan
6. Kobe
   417. andrewberg Posted: December 24, 2012 at 12:10 PM (#4331880)
Things the Wolves could use: a defense oriented wing (lots of injuries there), an athletic big man (Stiemsma has disappointed), and a consistent 3-pt threat (without Budinger, a weak spot).

Bigger picture, it would be nice for Love to get his shot back and Ricky to get one.
   418. andrewberg Posted: December 24, 2012 at 12:11 PM (#4331881)
EDIT: Ah, well, I guess it's Doug Gottlieb, who's been ragging that Boeheim is basically just a good coach, nothing great. Do the grumps here agree?

More bothered at how shamelessly he gets his players out of trouble. On court, he's no coach k or bobby knight.
   419. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: December 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM (#4331889)
The 1985 Celtics had three white guys in the starting lineup, and the four top subs were all white. (Sichting, Wedman, Walton, Carlisle)

I've looked through the whole careers of
   420. Rear Admiral Piazza Posted: December 24, 2012 at 12:28 PM (#4331890)
If you go back to the time when the Kings were good, and count Bibby and Doug Christie as half-white, you can get to a plausible lineup of four white guys, assuming Webber is injured and you move Turkoglu or Stojakovic over.

Someone told me the Pacers three or four years ago could have pulled it off, but looking through the rosters I am not seeing it.
   421. puck Posted: December 24, 2012 at 01:36 PM (#4331909)
Things the Wolves could use: a defense oriented wing (lots of injuries there), an athletic big man (Stiemsma has disappointed), and a consistent 3-pt threat (without Budinger, a weak spot).

Bigger picture, it would be nice for Love to get his shot back and Ricky to get one.

How about the Nuggets? I guess a team that can go 0-22 (and 27th in the league) could use a reliable 3 pt shooter, huh?

I also wonder why Javale McGee doesn't get more minutes...I've heard the team talk of issues with stamina, so maybe they think he's better in short bursts. But you'd think they could still inch him up so he's averaging 25-28 and Koufos fewer. At least Mozgov is mostly out of the rotation, he seems the worst of the 3.

I also wondered what happened to Chris Andersen (Birdman). He's unsigned. I never saw a resolution to that case with the underage girl--are teams scared off until that's resolved?

Last, while googling re. JaVale McGee, I came across this site. Geocities/MySpace lives!
   422. baudib Posted: December 24, 2012 at 03:41 PM (#4331965)
1.Durant
2. LeBron
3. Paul
4. Chandler
5. Melo
   423. RollingWave Posted: December 24, 2012 at 09:49 PM (#4332069)
Granted that it was a home game against a team on back to back games, but the Rockets beating the Wolfs in a rout raise some eyebrow
   424. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: December 25, 2012 at 05:19 AM (#4332177)
I do not understand what reality [423] is sent to us from.

Merry Christmas from Henry Abbott:

2. Knicks vs. Lakers: What are you wishing for?

Abbott: The Steve Nash show. That's what I want for Christmas. I have written many times that Kobe Bryant is a ball hog in crunch time in a manner that hurts the Lakers, so people think I hate the Lakers. But it was always a crock. America's most visible team must be fun to watch! Please let Nash make the Lakers fun to watch again. Please.
   425. NJ in DC (Now unemployed!) Posted: December 25, 2012 at 06:07 AM (#4332179)
1. Am I the only one completely uninterested in Nets-Celtics? Every other game today is appointment television, but that one is the timeslot I will use to see Django.

2. LeBron is my favorite player and he is having a spectacular year, so it pains me to say that I don't think he's the easy MVP choice. Right now I think it's a 3-way toss-up between him, KD and CP3. Not much of a KD fan, but I think what he's been doing is incredible. IIRC, it's the highest USG 50/40/90 season going. Part of me would also like to see CP3 win to make up for the '08 robbery. As long as it's not Melo, I think it's tough to fault the decision here.

3. I continue to be amazed by the year Kobe is having.
   426. RollingWave Posted: December 25, 2012 at 06:56 AM (#4332182)
ack, I mean Grizzly, they're both furry predators anyway.
   427. Booey Posted: December 25, 2012 at 04:02 PM (#4332263)
Not much of a KD fan

Serious question - what is NOT to like about Durant? I think he's one of the easiest superstars to like that's come around in a long time.

Of course, I haven't seen Thunderstruck, so maybe I'm giving him too much credit...
   428. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: December 25, 2012 at 04:21 PM (#4332268)
Just tuned into NYK-LAL. What is with these uniforms?! I thought I was watching Syracuse.
   429. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: December 25, 2012 at 04:33 PM (#4332272)
2. LeBron is my favorite player and he is having a spectacular year, so it pains me to say that I don't think he's the easy MVP choice. Right now I think it's a 3-way toss-up between him, KD and CP3. Not much of a KD fan, but I think what he's been doing is incredible. IIRC, it's the highest USG 50/40/90 season going. Part of me would also like to see CP3 win to make up for the '08 robbery. As long as it's not Melo, I think it's tough to fault the decision here.

I think it's very unlikely CP3 will win. Justified or not, Blake is the face of the franchise which makes it tough for any other Clipper to win.

I think it's probably Durant's year. From a should perspective, it's probably LeBron every year. Melo gets MVP if the Knicks win the 1 seed, which is of course unlikely.
   430. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: December 25, 2012 at 06:42 PM (#4332307)
I'm scared. Someone hold me.
   431. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: December 25, 2012 at 06:52 PM (#4332308)
BOOM. Lakers win. Unbridled optimism, I'm feeling it.
   432. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: December 25, 2012 at 07:53 PM (#4332319)
LeBron had himself quite a half.
   433. Into the Void Posted: December 25, 2012 at 08:08 PM (#4332320)
I think it's very unlikely CP3 will win. Justified or not, Blake is the face of the franchise which makes it tough for any other Clipper to win.

I totally disagree. CP3 would win the MVP long before Blake. Blake, IMO, is one of the most overrated players in the game. Not that he isn't talented, but his commercial appeal vs. actual on court production is totally out of skew, simply because he slam dunks the ball real good. i don't even know if he deserves to be an all star if we are looking at it strictly in terms of production.
   434. Booey Posted: December 25, 2012 at 08:26 PM (#4332322)
Blake, IMO, is one of the most overrated players in the game. Not that he isn't talented, but his commercial appeal vs. actual on court production is totally out of skew, simply because he slam dunks the ball real good.

It's not just the slams. It's also the Kia commercials. :-)
   435. robinred Posted: December 25, 2012 at 09:04 PM (#4332328)
Not liking the monochrome Christmas unis from an aesthetic POV, but then I am old-school on unis--not down with alternates.

If the Clippers get the 1 or 2 seed, Paul will get a lot of MVP support, but I think James will win it again, and deservedly so.

Compliments of the season to all those who make this thread enjoyable and informative.
   436. robinred Posted: December 25, 2012 at 09:10 PM (#4332329)
From ESPN:

Mike D’Antoni improved to 230-83 (.735) as a head coach in games in which Nash played for his team, compared to 167-265 when Nash didn’t play (.387 winning percentage).

437. Spivey Posted: December 25, 2012 at 09:38 PM (#4332334)
That was a good game.
   438. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: December 25, 2012 at 09:38 PM (#4332335)
I don't blame Westbrook for getting upset on that last shot. Wade basically assaulted him on that shot.
   439. RollingWave Posted: December 25, 2012 at 10:35 PM (#4332344)
Rockets leading the Bulls by 31 points in the 3rd, yikes.
   440. NJ in DC (Now unemployed!) Posted: December 25, 2012 at 11:24 PM (#4332357)
[438] Only saw the replay a couple times, but on the replay as well as live viewing it looked to me like Westbrook went for the Reggie call. Think that was a good no-call. Thought the KD 3 preceding was a terrible shot. It was impressive to see LeBron have more or less no chance against KD. Though, at times the ease with which KD blew by LeBron seemed almost intentional because LeBron would then look towards his coaches/yell at the help defense. Maybe he was deflecting.

[439] Missed most of this game, but Lin-Harden seem to be working things out. Things are getting interesting.
   441. Manny Coon Posted: December 26, 2012 at 02:55 AM (#4332370)
Blake, IMO, is one of the most overrated players in the game. Not that he isn't talented, but his commercial appeal vs. actual on court production is totally out of skew, simply because he slam dunks the ball real good. i don't even know if he deserves to be an all star if we are looking at it strictly in terms of production.

This is way off. In terms of production last year he was 7th in the league in PER and win shares and had a roland rating over +10. This year even after a slow start where he was injured he's 7th in win shares, 8th in PER. He's easily an all-star by production. Last year he dunked less than as rookie and raised his FG% from 51% to 55%, so he's not just all dunks. He's become a pretty good defender too, he is mobile and strong and is one of the best bigs in the league at forcing turnovers.

I think he can be frustrating at times because he relies heavily on his physical tools and still has a lot of room to improve, but even at his current level he's one of the best players after Lebron/Paul/Durant. Paul is the obvious MVP candidate from the Clippers though if they do finish with one of the best couple of records and people are sick of voting for Lebron.
   442. RollingWave Posted: December 26, 2012 at 11:34 PM (#4332766)
Rockets win 5 in a roll, beat Wolfs in back to back days on the road.

443. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: December 26, 2012 at 11:51 PM (#4332774)
the sixers beat memphis (in memphis) by 10 points, with evan turner scoring 1 (yes, 1) point in 40 minutes and jrue holiday and thaddeus young combining for 26. the three of them combined to score 20 fewer points than their season average.

on the other hand, dorell wright put up 28 points on 8/11 shooting (5/8 from beyond the arc and 7/8 from the FT line), and considering that this was 3rd time in the last 10 days where he put up 20+ points, it's going to be massively infuriating when doug collins inevitably pulls him from the starting lineup again in favor of jason richardson.
   444. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: December 27, 2012 at 07:37 AM (#4332819)
fun with selective endpoints:

dorell wright: 15.5 PER, .533 TS%, 11.2 TRB%, 10.7 AST%, 2.2 BLK%, 1.5 STL%, 107 O-rating, 104 D-rating
andre iguodala: 14.3 PER, .524 TS%, 8.9 TRB%, 18.7 AST%, 1.9 BLK%, 1.5 STL%, 102 O-rating, 107 D-rating
   445. AROM Posted: December 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM (#4332866)
Blake, IMO, is one of the most overrated players in the game. Not that he isn't talented, but his commercial appeal vs. actual on court production is totally out of skew, simply because he slam dunks the ball real good. i don't even know if he deserves to be an all star if we are looking at it strictly in terms of production.

Strictly in terms of production, he's got 18.1 PPG, 8.8 RPG, 1.5 steals, .7 blocks, .536 shooting, and .224 wins shares per 48.

If he's not an all-star by production, who are the 30 players better than him? Chris Paul is the best player on the team, but nobody goes 22-6 solely by having a great point guard. Matt Barnes! of all people has been the 3rd best player by WS and WS48. Seems pretty obvious that Griffin is doing something right.
   446. JC in DC Posted: December 27, 2012 at 02:31 PM (#4333127)
Avery Johnson canned.
   447. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: December 27, 2012 at 03:40 PM (#4333181)
Deron Williams strikes again.
   448. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: December 27, 2012 at 03:43 PM (#4333184)
Is 14-14 really that bad for this team, with all new players to incorporate and after being terrible for years? This is bizarre to me on performance. I feel like there must be something else going on here like, yeah, Deron complaining or something.
   449. thok Posted: December 27, 2012 at 03:48 PM (#4333189)
Maybe PJ Carlesimo stuck out his neck for Deron. Or is it too soon and in too bad of a taste to be making that sort of a joke?
   450. The Buddy Biancalana Hit Counter Posted: December 27, 2012 at 04:20 PM (#4333211)
Is 14-14 really that bad for this team, with all new players to incorporate and after being terrible for years? This is bizarre to me on performance. I feel like there must be something else going on here like, yeah, Deron complaining or something.

Or something like Billy King genuinely believing that he'd put together a great team?
   451. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: December 27, 2012 at 04:45 PM (#4333229)
I agree with both 448 and 450. I was frankly stunned when the Nets came flying out of the gate; they're a good team but certainly no threat to contend for anything other than home court advantage in the first round of the playoffs.
   452. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Posted: December 27, 2012 at 04:57 PM (#4333232)
Is there a dirtier star out there than DWade?
   453. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 27, 2012 at 05:00 PM (#4333234)
Felton out 4-6 with broken pinkie finger.

---

Deron Williams strikes again.

I'll believe Sloan when he says it wasn't Deron. But this one is definitely on him.

---

I, for one, think it's more likely that CP3 wins MVP this year than KD. It's early and all, but as much as 433 is wrong, I do think there are a lot of people who assign a lot of extra credit to Paul considering how raw/getting by mostly on talent their front line seems to be (and the VDN thing).

---

Rockets leading the Bulls by 31 points in the 3rd, yikes.

2 straight pastings for the Bulls. Not sure if they're happy or not last night's game in Indy was postponed. It looked like a very disinterested team both nights.

---

Moses - if the Bulls are this against paying the luxury tax, why don't they amnesty Boozer? Are they already paying it and just don't want to pay more?

Had the Bulls amnestied Boozer before the season, it wouldn't have done them any good. They still would have been over the cap and unable to replace his production. I don't think Reinsdorf wants to pay someone not to play for him either. They keep saying they're in the tax this year (which is true right now), but it they can shed some salary they can get under it (highly unlikely though, IMO). Everyone assumed Boozer will get amnestied at some point though, maybe after this season.
   454. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: December 28, 2012 at 02:20 AM (#4333466)
I wonder what a Clipper championship parade would look like. It's surreal to even think about it, but there it is.
   455. baudib Posted: December 28, 2012 at 03:36 AM (#4333479)
It's not 14-14 that got Avery fired, but how they got there.

You've got the outspoken Russian billionaire owner, who probably fancies himself as a Mark Cuban type, overspending on mediocrities. Add on new arena in new city + fast start, and you've got the recipe for unrealistic expectations. Toss in some thinly veiled sniping at the coach by your supposed franchise player, some grumblings from others about selfish play on the team, and the utterly disastrous seasons turned in so far by newly enriched Kris Humphries and Joe Johnson, well, it's not pretty. A lot of times, it looks like Gerald Wallace is the only guy exerting effort. And Wallace + coolness factor is very close to being worth the price of admission, but not when you're getting blown out at home.

456. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: December 28, 2012 at 08:46 AM (#4333520)
Ken Berger @KBergCBS about 6 hours ago
Updated Nets coaching story, with source telling @CBSSports the job would "definitely" interest Phil Jackson. cbsprt.co/YlDGgF

Tommy Dee @TommyDeeTKB about 46 minutes ago
Van Gundy is the Logical Choice in Brooklyn wp.me/p2cwu3-awC #nets #knicks
Frank Isola @FisolaNYDN 27 Dec
Carmelo second in All Star voting among Eastern Conference frontcourt players. Amar'e has 14,000 more votes than Luol Deng....go figure

457. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: December 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM (#4333574)
Yao Ming got voted in every year by Chinese people, is Stoudemire now getting the same treatment from his homeland of Israel?
   458. Der-K thinks the Essex Green were a good band. Posted: December 28, 2012 at 10:52 AM (#4333576)
Link to a Deadspin bit on 'Nique writing an uncommissioned tribute to Dan Roundfield for an NYT obit feature.
   459. puck Posted: December 28, 2012 at 11:44 AM (#4333618)
Link to a Deadspin bit on 'Nique writing an uncommissioned tribute to Dan Roundfield for an NYT obit feature.

I forgot he had died this year. Roundfield was quite a player. It seems like strong defenders are better appreciated nowadays; he'd probably be held in higher esteem if he'd played today. Though he did make 3 all star games, so maybe I'm wrong about that.

I recall a nice "welcome to the NBA" moment he gave to Patrick Ewing in one of those pre-Olympic scrimmages in Denver where the prospective Olympic team played a team of NBA players. Ewing had an open lane to the basket and went up with the ball extended off one arm for the monster jam and Roundfield slid over and blocked it, with Ewing ending up on his butt.
   460. Publius Publicola Posted: December 28, 2012 at 05:27 PM (#4333858)
Is there a dirtier star player out there than DWade?

No.
   461. yo la tengo Posted: December 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM (#4333985)
How much stock do any of you put into the rumors that Phil might be interested in the Nets job? How much impact would he have on that team?
   462. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: December 28, 2012 at 11:58 PM (#4334035)
I can't be the only person who finds it funny that the Heat are complaining about the one game suspension for wade.

"The Heat referred to Wade's 10-year record as being "an exemplary player and positive influence" in their dispute of the ruling. The league does not typically explain disciplinary decisions but has reviewed several Wade fouls and actions over the last few seasons without taking further action."

"Heat coach Erik Spoelstra implied the Heat's stars are being targeted by opposing teams. During the game Wednesday in Charlotte, Bobcats forward Gerald Henderson fouled LeBron James hard."

link
   463. baudib Posted: December 29, 2012 at 02:38 AM (#4334080)
How much stock do any of you put into the rumors that Phil might be interested in the Nets job? How much impact would he have on that team?

Almost none, unless Prok offers him some ridiculous salary. But really, none. I could see him taking the Clippers job or MAYBE the OKC job.

I have to be honest, I don't really understand the Xs and Os of basketball the way I do other sports...I still don't understand what the triangle offense is or why Phil can win without a traditionally strong point guard.
   464. GregD Posted: December 29, 2012 at 02:49 AM (#4334083)
I would be surprised if Phil took the money from the Nets even if they shot the moon. This does not look like a good team to me at all. Why come back to struggle for a 7th or 8th seed?
   465. robinred Posted: December 29, 2012 at 06:54 AM (#4334104)
How much stock do any of you put into the rumors that Phil might be interested in the Nets job?

Not much. But, as noted, Prokhorov might make an offer so lucrative that Phil can't say no. Rumors today feature JVG as the leading candidate. I would bet against Phil taking the gig.

There are lot of videos up on youtube that explain the Triangle. Here is one from ESPN; loud with an annoying voice-over guy, but the first 30 seconds explain the basics:

link

It is a read-and-react system based on player movement, ball movement, spacing, and posting and re-posting, rather than on set plays and on the staple of so many modern NBA offenses, the pick-and-roll. The way it is structured works well for guys like Pippen and Odom, who did a little bit of everything, and if you have gifted post players, like O'Neal, and to a lesser extent but based on the same principle, Gasol and Bynum. Gasol, with his ability to pass and post-up, was a great Triangle big.

The other reason it was good for Phil's teams is that it let Jordan and Bryant handle the ball and look for their shot all the time as well as work on the blocks without having to defer to a traditional PG, presumably one less talented.

Had the Lakers hired Phil, it would have been interesting to see Nash in the Triangle. He is obviously the kind of guy who can help you in any system, but it would not have been a natural fit.

And, obviously, as Phil said himself in his exit presser back in 2011, asked why he won so much: "Talent. I have coached some of the greatest talent ever to play this game."

The Clippers have won 16 straight and their point diff is at around +10, which is 2008 Celtics/1987 Lakers/1992 Bulls territory.
   466. robinred Posted: December 29, 2012 at 06:56 AM (#4334105)
How much stock do any of you put into the rumors that Phil might be interested in the Nets job?

Not much. But, as noted, Prokhorov might make an offer so lucrative that Phil can't say no. Rumors today feature JVG as the leading candidate. I would bet against Phil taking the gig.

There are lot of videos up on youtube that explain the Triangle. Here is one from ESPN; loud with an annoying voice-over guy, but the first 30 seconds explain the basics:

link

It is a read-and-react system based on player movement, ball movement, spacing, and posting and re-posting, rather than on set plays and on the staple of so many modern NBA offenses, the pick-and-roll. The way it is structured works well for guys like Pippen and Odom, who did a little bit of everything, and if you have gifted post players, like O'Neal, and to a lesser extent but based on the same principle, Gasol and Bynum. Gasol, with his ability to pass and post-up, was a great Triangle big.

The other reason it was good for Phil's teams is that it let Jordan and Bryant handle the ball and look for their shot all the time as well as work on the blocks without having to defer to a traditional PG, presumably one less talented.

Had the Lakers hired Phil, it would have been interesting to see Nash in the Triangle. He is obviously the kind of guy who can help you in any system, but it would not have been a natural fit.

And, obviously, as Phil said himself in his exit presser back in 2011, asked why he won so much: "Talent. I have coached some of the greatest talent ever to play this game."

The Clippers have won 16 straight and their point diff is at around +10, which is 2008 Celtics/1987 Lakers/1992 Bulls territory.
   467. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: December 29, 2012 at 09:56 AM (#4334116)
just for a fun little thought experiment, if you go back to the 2009 draft, when the nets traded ryan anderson and drafted terrence williams, and then go forward in an alternate timeline, the nets could look something like this:

PG: ty lawson (drafted in 2009 instead of terrence williams)
SG: chandler parsons (drafted in 2011 instead of jordan williams)
SF: harrison barnes (drafted in 2012 with the pick traded to POR for gerald wallace)
PF: ryan anderson (not traded to orlando (with vince carter) for courtney lee/rafer alston/tony battie)
C: brook lopez

bench:
kris humphries
derrick favors (not traded to utah for deron willimas)
enes kanter (not traded to utah for deron williams)
draymond green (drafted in 2012 with the pick traded to GSW for brandon wright)
anthony morrow (not traded to atlanta for joe johnson)
jordan farmar (not traded to atlanta for joe johnson)

now, the thing here is that brook lopez and kris humphries were free agents this offseason, which means the nets would have had no holes in the lineup (they'd have been able to start lawson/parsons/barnes/anderson/favors), a reasonably decent bench (kanter/green/morrow/farmar), and almost no guaranteed salary.
   468. PJ Martinez Posted: December 29, 2012 at 10:31 AM (#4334121)
Maybe this has been noted already, but isn't it a little nuts that 30 games into the season, fully 2/3 of the Nuggets games have been on the road? 21 of their 31 games have been away from home.

In a semi-related note, they have moved up to 5th according to Hollinger's formula despite their so-so overall record (17-14). The bigger factor there is probably that they're 7-3 over their last 10 against strong opponents with a 7.5 margin of victory.
   469. Too Much Coffee Man Posted: December 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM (#4334127)
You have to give the Clippers a lot of credit going into Utah on a back-to-back and coming back from 19 down in the 2nd half. On the other hand, you have to give the refs a lot of credit for putting Paul on the line with 3 seconds to go (touch foul 30' from the basket), and ignoring contact against Foye on the last shot of the game. You could argue that Foye leaned into the defender, and it's a good non-call. I know the NBA doesn't like games decided by foul shots. But, why call Jefferson for reaching in moments before? It didn't impede Paul in any way, it's the type of contact that happens all day long, and the only purpose seemed to be to put an all-star on the line.
   470. PJ Martinez Posted: December 29, 2012 at 10:54 AM (#4334128)
Speaking of the Clippers, can Crawford and Barnes really keep this up? The latter, in particular, seems to be having a career season at the age of 32. (Crawford is only having his second-best season, also at the age of 32.)
   471. Spivey Posted: December 29, 2012 at 11:46 AM (#4334136)
I've always liked Barnes, dating back to when he was an important part of the legendary GSW/Dallas series.
   472. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 29, 2012 at 01:21 PM (#4334166)
Speaking of the Clippers, can Crawford and Barnes really keep this up?

My gut says no f'in way on Barnes. But sometimes guys just fit into systems so well, they're able to focus on the things they do well. Crawford, OTOH, doesn't look like anything is really that far out of line with where it should be, he's just a tick better in most things than usual. He's a very streaky (I know) player though, so I wonder if he's had other 30 games stretches like this in overall worse years.

My question about the Clippers though is in regards to VDN. Has he gotten better? Is the team VDN proof? Are the ass't coaches the difference? Or is he still going to be their weak link in a playoff series?

---

And speaking of teams overperforming, how about the Warriors? I liked them preseason, said they could sneak into the playoffs maybe if everything, including injuries, broke right. I know a lot of people laughed at Mark Jackson last year for talking about them becoming a defensive team, but the jump to 13th in DefEff seems to have made all the difference in the world. But still no Bogut and it hasn't mattered. Jack and Landry have been great fits.

---

Brutal loss for the Knicks last night. No Felton or Melo, but still coulda won (after a ridiculous comeback). That last possession was just unbelievable.
   473. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 29, 2012 at 01:28 PM (#4334171)
I really don't know how to read these comments from JVG:

Ken Berger ?@KBergCBS
Adding to what he told @WojYahooNBA, Jeff Van Gundy tells @CBSSports he will not speak with Nets while P.J. Carlesimo is the coach.

Ken Berger ?@KBergCBS
Van Gundy: "I would never comment or talk to a team that has a coach in place. Totally inappropriate."
   474. Manny Coon Posted: December 29, 2012 at 01:31 PM (#4334172)
Speaking of the Clippers, can Crawford and Barnes really keep this up? The latter, in particular, seems to be having a career season at the age of 32. (Crawford is only having his second-best season, also at the age of 32.)

Barnes is having the best year of his career, but his second best was just last year and the two before that may have been his next best two. He seems to be a late bloomer, maybe he needed to get his head straight or something. He might not sustain his current pace entirely, but he probably can sustain a lot of it.

Crawford I think is being used differently this year, he has a career low assist rate, I think he's being asked to be more of shooter and less of a creator and it's working out fairly well for him. He had his second lowest assist rate in his 09-10 career year.

Even if these guys slip a some, the Clippers have other areas where they could possibly improve to make up for it. Odom has gotten much better as the season has progressed. Billups should be better than Green if he ever gets healthy. Griffin had a slow start but has kept playing better has the season has gone on. Perhaps they let Bledsoe play more at some point, although his production has slipped some after picking up a minor injury a week or two ago.
   475. The District Attorney Posted: December 29, 2012 at 01:33 PM (#4334175)
I would never comment or talk to a team that has a coach in place.
That's a hard criteria to satisfy.
   476. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: December 29, 2012 at 01:34 PM (#4334177)
I have officially watched an NBA game. It must be after Christmas. My primary take-away from Hawks-Pistons' double OT is that Lou Williams looks like Gollum.
   477. Manny Coon Posted: December 29, 2012 at 01:46 PM (#4334181)
My question about the Clippers though is in regards to VDN. Has he gotten better? Is the team VDN proof? Are the ass't coaches the difference? Or is he still going to be their weak link in a playoff series?

Most of their improvement has been on defense. They switched their assistant in charge of defense from Demopoulos to Ociepka, I don't know how much this change has to do with it, but they are now forcing turnovers like crazy; last time I looked almost all the players in the rotation had career highs in steal rate, some by large amounts. They are playing defense kind of the like the Grizzlies, forcing tons of turnovers and forcing missed shots, but at the expense of defensive rebounding and fouling a lot.

Their personnel changes are some of it too, Barnes and Odom are doing well on defense and Bledsoe is one of the better defensive guards in the league and is playing a lot more than he did last year, Griffin and Jordan are maturing and they dumped some dubious defenders like Nick Young, Mo Williams, Foye and Reggie Evans, but some of it is definitely a change in their approach as well.
   478. baudib Posted: December 29, 2012 at 02:34 PM (#4334192)
Robinred: Thanks for the explanation of the triangle. That was brilliant, and makes perfect sense to me now.

Steagles: The Nets are not without talent. I think the problem is that the talent is ill-fitting. Before coming to the Nets, Deron Williams was a 20 ppg guy who shot .460; now he's a 17 ppg guy shooting .400. To my eyes he definitely looks slower than when I thought he was a superstar, so being on the hook for $100M or so seems disastrous, but he's probably better than he's played. (If he shoots .400 all year, I guess we'll have to say that's what he is.) Joe Johnson is not a star, but has talent, and is underperforming. Gerald Wallace and Lopez have both missed 7 games. Kris Humphries is a legit NBA player who is having a horrible year. No one is really playing over their heads.

Despite this, the Nets are 15-14. I don't think they are title contenders in any way, shape or form, but they should be contenders in the East for a 4-5 seed, IMO.
   479. Booey Posted: December 29, 2012 at 05:55 PM (#4334261)
You have to give the Clippers a lot of credit going into Utah on a back-to-back and coming back from 19 down in the 2nd half. On the other hand, you have to give the refs a lot of credit for putting Paul on the line with 3 seconds to go (touch foul 30' from the basket), and ignoring contact against Foye on the last shot of the game. You could argue that Foye leaned into the defender, and it's a good non-call. I know the NBA doesn't like games decided by foul shots. But, why call Jefferson for reaching in moments before? It didn't impede Paul in any way, it's the type of contact that happens all day long, and the only purpose seemed to be to put an all-star on the line.

I was at that game, and for me the whistle happy officials ruined what should have been a really exciting game. 80 combined free throws are just way too many, and many of them were of the touch variety. The entire 2nd half was basically just a free throw contest. Normally a game this high scoring and one that's decided at the final buzzer is very fun to watch, but this one was just plain frustrating the way they wouldn't let the players even attempt to play D without calling a foul.

On the Foye shot, normally I'm happy when refs swallow their whistle when the offensive player is clearly just trying to draw the foul rather than actually attempting to hit the shot, but in this case: A) they'd been calling fouls with far less contact the entire night, including Paul's game winning free throws just seconds earlier, so to not send Foye to the line on that play was very inconsistent, and B) it would have been perfect karma if the Clippers had lost on a semi-bad call/flop in the final seconds since they'd beaten the Jazz earlier this month in part because of a blatant late flop of their own.
   480. The District Attorney Posted: December 29, 2012 at 06:02 PM (#4334266)
Would a Nets triangle run through Joe Johnson?

Hell, I'd like to see that.
   481. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 29, 2012 at 07:49 PM (#4334320)
@JeffZillgitt: Hornets place G Eric Gordon on active list and he is expected to play for first time this season vs. Charlotte tonight

---

Brandon Roy has seemingly tried everything to ease the chronic pain in his knees and rejuvenate his career. After a last-ditch arthroscopic surgery didn't do the trick last month, the Minnesota Timberwolves guard might be out of options.

Roy is considering a second, and likely final, retirement after the pain in his right knee returned this week, a person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press on Saturday. The person requested anonymity because a final decision has yet to be made.

Not a surprise, but still sad nonetheless.
   482. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: December 30, 2012 at 01:26 AM (#4334494)
I was at that game, and for me the whistle happy officials ruined what should have been a really exciting game. 80 combined free throws are just way too many, and many of them were of the touch variety. The entire 2nd half was basically just a free throw contest. Normally a game this high scoring and one that's decided at the final buzzer is very fun to watch, but this one was just plain frustrating the way they wouldn't let the players even attempt to play D without calling a foul.

Where were you sitting? I was in town to visit family and decided to get to my first game in about five years, and my wife and I were up in section 119. I was happy to see it mostly fill out half way through the first, but until the end thought the crowd was a bit disappointing compared to old Jazz crowds.

Anyway I felt the same. The first quarter the refs let the players play and it was much better. Fourth quarter they called several questionable to wrong fouls against the Jazz yet let the Clippers get away with similar contact. In most games ignoring the contact Foye initiated would have been fine, but it was completely inconsistent with how the refs had called that quarter.
   483. Booey Posted: December 30, 2012 at 02:38 AM (#4334507)
Where were you sitting? I was in town to visit family and decided to get to my first game in about five years, and my wife and I were up in section 119.

Section 131, row 12. Portal VV.

In most games ignoring the contact Foye initiated would have been fine, but it was completely inconsistent with how the refs had called that quarter.

Exactly. Why call the entire 2nd half one way and then wait until the last play of the game to change your standards WRT fouls?

Jazz play the Clippers again tomorrow, and since it's in LA, they'll probably get smoked. The silver lining in a blowout is that it would save them the frustration of losing to the Clips on a questionable last minute call for the 3rd time in a single month.
   484. Booey Posted: December 30, 2012 at 02:40 PM (#4334647)
This was from the Bill James mailbag posted in another thread. I just thought it was funny how short and to the point James's answer was:

I was gratified to see your comment about the NBA. I have been a fan of basketball all my life but I am seriously considering not going to games anymore for the same reasons you point out. At the Warriors games there is never a moment of silence, or even reduced noise. They have a young guy who screams into a mike hyping tickets and other things for sale whenever play is stopped, or when they aren't throwing pizza into the crowd or t-shirts or other crap. Like meat to lions. And the ultimate sin, for me, playing music while the game is being played. Not to mention the indoor fireworks--like they're special-- to introduce a team that has probably the worst record in the NBA over the past 30 years...So the question is, why is the NBA more involved with this than the other leagues? Or is it just more annoying because it is indoors? Such a beautiful sport destroyed by the worst of American crassness.

Asked by: renny
Answered: 12/28/2012

Because David Stern is a dominant personality and a jackass with no common sense?

Heh.
   485. The District Attorney Posted: December 30, 2012 at 02:59 PM (#4334656)
Royce White refusing demotion to D-League, issues statement.

I'll tell you one thing I'd do, tell the guy he can't be on Twitter.
   486. smileyy Posted: December 30, 2012 at 04:29 PM (#4334690)
So, I'm not sure how to interpret Booey's "Heh." in [484]. I can think of at least three different ways:

1. "I agree and am enjoying having Bill James point that out."
2. "The NBA is so clearly struggling to draw fans because of its presentation (sarcasm)"
3. "Bill James is a dominant personality and a jackass with no common sense"
4. ???

Or maybe a little of all 3 combined?
   487. Booey Posted: December 30, 2012 at 04:36 PM (#4334693)
#486 - Mostly #1. Mainly I just thought it was funny how blunt James was in his opinion of Stern.
   488. andrewberg Posted: December 30, 2012 at 05:34 PM (#4334717)
Not sure what I have enjoyed less- Roy playing below replacement level, or Roy wasting a roster spot and cap space on an obviously failed vanity project. Caveat emptor, I suppose. I signed up for this fate when I endorsed the signing as relatively low risk.

My sympathy for Royce White is eroding. He is right that he can ignore the instructions of uninformed authority figures and opt to follow doctor suggestions, but the calculation is altered in an employer-employee relationship. While I do not know much about their private interactions, I know a bit about disability law, and certainly enough to know that "don't go to work, don't do your job indeterminately" is not a valid accommodation for any physical or mental malady. He also comes off as disingenuous when he makes the point that the team is not presenting the whole story and paints them as part of the culture's misunderstanding of mental illness, then also refuses to share any details. He clearly wants to win public favor, so saying "they're not cooperating, trust me" fails at that goal. The bottom line is that, by publicly available information, the team continues to pay him his full check, and he continues to refuse to do anything the team asks him to do.
   489. smileyy Posted: December 30, 2012 at 07:45 PM (#4334784)
I'm also wondering if the letter writer in [484] is aware that the Golden State Warriors are 21-10. (I wasn't).

Maybe they have a reason to be trying to keep some excitement going in their home arena. Or are they supposed to keep it funereal in there until the franchise is .500?
   490. smileyy Posted: December 30, 2012 at 07:46 PM (#4334788)
[488] I pretty much agree about Royce White. He can't be endearing himself to his teammates. I get his issues, but it feels like he's putting far too much of that burden on the Rockets, and is in denial about the line of work that he's in.
   491. PJ Martinez Posted: December 30, 2012 at 08:02 PM (#4334799)
The bottom line is that, by publicly available information, the team continues to pay him his full check, and he continues to refuse to do anything the team asks him to do.

Aren't they fining him for missed games? I guess that would mean they were still technically paying him his full check, but he wasn't getting to keep all of it.

I don't disagree with your broader point, though I haven't been following the story that closely and am mostly inclined to reserve judgment.
   492. King Mekong Posted: December 31, 2012 at 12:19 AM (#4334989)
Well one thing is pretty clear. He's not going to be rookie of the year this year!
   493. The District Attorney Posted: December 31, 2012 at 12:22 AM (#4334991)
Aren't they fining him for missed games?
My understanding is that he is fined if he doesn't go to the game and doesn't go to the team psychiatrist either. We know that he isn't going to the games, and I would certainly guess based on what he's saying that he's not going to the psychiatrist, thus is getting fined. I don't have reliable cites for either part of that equation, though.
   494. robinred Posted: December 31, 2012 at 12:33 AM (#4335000)
"To put together win streaks that are that long, it shows a lot of focus, it shows a lot of unity and a lot of depth because they can beat you multiple ways," Bryant continued. "If you're going to have a winning streak that's that extensive, you have to have guys coming in from all aspects of the game."

Despite seven of the Clippers' 14-man roster being new to the team this season (Matt Barnes, Jamal Crawford, Willie Green, Grant Hill, Ryan Hollins, Lamar Odom and Ronny Turiaf), Bryant noted that several of their players had been teammates before wearing the Lakers' purple and gold.

"They have a lot of guys who have played together before," Bryant said, referring to Barnes, Odom, Turiaf and Caron Butler. "They're very familiar with each other, so even if it seems like they slapped a lot of talent together, which they did, but a lot of those guys have been together before and they understand how to play together."

The Clippers and Lakers play this Friday in a "road" game for the Lakers at Staples Center. If the Clippers stay undefeated between now and then, their win streak would be at 19 games coming into the Lakers showdown.

Does Bryant want the Clippers to stay hot to have a shot of ending that streak as a little payback for the Clippers' 105-95 win over the Lakers back on Nov. 2?

"I really don't give a s---," Bryant said.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8794240/kobe-bryant-mike-dantoni-admit-los-angeles-lakers-looking-bar-set-los-angeles-clippers
   495. smileyy Posted: December 31, 2012 at 12:56 AM (#4335019)
Not to be all Bill Simmons, but there's a first-time hunger that goes into a winning streak like that.
   496. baudib Posted: December 31, 2012 at 01:06 AM (#4335027)
The Kings are fascinating from at train-wreck perspective. Keith Smart has refused to just let Isaiah Thomas run the offense full time, having him split time with Aaron Brooks. The rest of the team isn't too happy about this, with some teammates wearing Thomas jerseys at postgame press conferences. The Maloofs apparently reinstated DeMarcus Cousins, overruling Smart and the front office.

Tyreke Evans has missed 12 games with a mysterious knee ailment. He was rumored to be returning today, but he still isn't ready.

And of course, Brooks misses the game, and Thomas and Cousins go nuts, and they crush the Celtics.

497. baudib Posted: December 31, 2012 at 01:09 AM (#4335030)
Also, it's only two games, and against subpar competition, but the Nets' offense has looked a ton better under Carlesimo. Part of the may be simply Brook Lopez getting healthier, but it also seems to be a different emphasis: Lopez is getting the ball closer to the basket. There really aren't many big men with Lopez's offensive upside. Als of note, Deron Williams is playing more inspired. It's the Bobcats and the Cavs, but it's also Kemba Walker and Kyrie Irving, and he did a great job at helping shut them down.

498. smileyy Posted: December 31, 2012 at 01:29 AM (#4335045)
but it also seems to be a different emphasis: Lopez is getting the ball closer to the basket.

I've read this a few times now -- that his decline in efficiency is directly related to taking shots farther away from the basket. Back when he was the best offensive player on the team, why was this so hard to do something about? Now that there are more (a lot more) options on the team, how hard is it to reduce his shots to these efficient ones?
   499. baudib Posted: December 31, 2012 at 04:16 AM (#4335127)
Never really watched the Nets before this season so I can't answer what happened in the past. I was specifically referring to the most recent stretch that followed his return from injury -- he was an asset on the floor but wasn't asserting himself offensively. He certainly seems to be back in the groove. Having more options on offense hasn't really helped the Nets, IMO. I'm pretty certain that the average Nets possession involving Joe Johnson handling the ball (shooting or passing) has been a lot more inefficient than possessions involving Williams and Lopez/Blatche or Wallace.

If dumping Avery Johnson turns Williams around, I'd say the biggest problem the Nets have is the utter ineffectiveness of Kris Humphries this season, which has led to a lot of Reggie Evans for rebounding needs and now Wallace playing PF, which necessitates a lot of Jerry Stackhouse (who has been pretty decent) and very small lineups. Blatche has played well, but it doesn't seem like he and Lopez work on the court together.
   500. JC in DC Posted: December 31, 2012 at 10:59 AM (#4335239)
I love that Kobe stuff, robin. I just really like that guy now. Can't quite explain it, but there it is.
Page 5 of 6 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Marc Sully's not booin'. He's Youkin'.
for his generous support.