Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, October 05, 2018

OT - NBA Thread (2018-19 season kickoff edition)

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, none of whom knew the old thread would get closed, thus detracting from what this site is really about: the baseball playoffs, maybe?

Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: October 05, 2018 at 03:43 PM | 2483 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: basketball, nba, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 19 of 25 pages ‹ First  < 17 18 19 20 21 >  Last ›
   1801. Just TFTIO Posted: November 07, 2018 at 01:57 PM (#5783761)
Flip.
   1802. jmurph Posted: November 07, 2018 at 02:07 PM (#5783766)
I see that things are still totally normal and straightforward when it comes to Markelle Fultz.
   1803. JC in DC Posted: November 07, 2018 at 07:15 PM (#5783998)
It's worth watching Kerr's comparison of Zion to LBJ, then recognizing he's not supposed to comment on amateurs. He's got a solid sense of humor.
   1804. JC in DC Posted: November 07, 2018 at 07:44 PM (#5784007)
3 minutes into the game, and Frank's D is making Trae Young miserable.
   1805. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: November 07, 2018 at 07:56 PM (#5784008)
That's a great point, and I must admit not to seeing any of RJ except for this weekend. But, I'm one of those guys who agreed that Zion was special in HS. Ever since I've seen him, I've compared him to Barkley, and Barkley, when he was young, was phenomenal. Zion is bigger. I wonder what Barkley's length was, since he "played longer" than he looked.
every highlight of zion from HS was just him dunking over some terrified 5'9 white kid. i was very skeptical before he got to dook, but after last night, 95% of my skepticism is gone.
I would be interested to hear STIGGLES'S take on who the most effective PGs are without decent wiggle. Lowry and Paul come to mind, but I feel like they have a subtle wiggle where they get defenders on their hip. I don't want to make any final judgments until the Wizard of Wiggle weighs in.
effective? andre miller. tony parker. jrue holiday. george hill. jameer nelson. shaun livingston.

being able to keep a defender on your hip is useful, but it's the complete opposite of what 57i66135' definition of wiggle is supposed to conviggle.
   1806. Ken Griffey's Grotesquely Swollen Jaw Posted: November 07, 2018 at 08:16 PM (#5784009)
Depth, mostly. Milwaukee's front-line talent will just blow a weak starting five off the court, but the good teams have a good enough starting five to compete and a much stronger 9-10 man rotation than Milwaukee does. It's really easy for a good, deep team to attack and exploit guys like Snell and DiVincenzo and Ilyasova.

I'm not following. If you're saying a team's issue is depth that usually means they'll be better in the playoffs where top line talent is more important. The regular season favors depth teams. I'm also just higher on MIL's talent than you because I think of Snell and Ilyasova as proven solid back of the rotation guys. My main concern(s) for them are (1) How much of this defensive improvement is real (2) How are they going to gameplan for teams sagging off of Giannis in the playoffs.

Right now the Bucks internet is arguing over their defense, because Bud has thus far been unwilling to change their pick and roll coverage based on opponents. So they gave up tons of mid-range shots to the Blazers last night, which is their stated goal, and once CJ and Dame proved they would make essentially all of those shots the Bucks didn't start switching until it was too late.

It seems pretty clear that Bud is sticking with the conservative plan to a) build good defensive habits early in the season and b) to not change things up based on outlier performances. To Paste's point, this defense will probably not be as effective against good teams in the playoffs but it seems pessimistic to assume that Bud won't change and hone things over the course of the season.

Anyway, like jmurph said, the narrative would change if the Bucks lost all 4 of the games on this road trip but I don't think that's fair. The Warriors, Blazers and Nuggets have been 3 of the top 4-5 teams in the league thus far (Bucks and Raptors being the other two I guess), and the Clippers are no gimme. It's a pretty brutal trip, especially since LA and Denver are on consecutive nights to close it out.
   1807. JC in DC Posted: November 07, 2018 at 09:08 PM (#5784015)
I really dislike Tim Hardaway. He will get his points, but he does not make big plays, 50-50 plays, and takes really dump deep 2 point shots. I can't wait until we phase him out for Zion.
   1808. jmurph Posted: November 07, 2018 at 09:09 PM (#5784016)
Of all the many (many, many) times I've been wrong about players, I think I'm happiest to have been wrong about Oladipo. He's good, and he's a lot of fun to watch.
   1809. JC in DC Posted: November 07, 2018 at 09:31 PM (#5784025)
We're just happy that you've been wrong many, many, many times about players.
   1810. jmurph Posted: November 07, 2018 at 09:45 PM (#5784031)
Not about any Knicks yet, don't you worry.
   1811. JC in DC Posted: November 07, 2018 at 09:58 PM (#5784036)
Bembry has the worst hair in the NBA. Maybe ever.
   1812. Harlond Posted: November 07, 2018 at 10:01 PM (#5784037)
Monstrous dunk by Sabonis over Embiid.
   1813. JC in DC Posted: November 07, 2018 at 10:11 PM (#5784038)
In the past, that was an obvious offensive foul by Sabonis, no? Huge forearm to the head as he attacked.
   1814. jmurph Posted: November 07, 2018 at 10:16 PM (#5784040)
I thought it was a clear offensive foul, yeah.
   1815. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: November 07, 2018 at 10:28 PM (#5784045)
Ugh. Win.
   1816. tshipman Posted: November 07, 2018 at 10:36 PM (#5784046)
Re: Zion:

I think his ultimate position in the NBA is Center (at least on defense).

Playing Zion at C allows you for the most shooting possible around him, and if he's strong enough to hold up there in the post, he'd have such an amazing quickness advantage on defense that he would just be a walking mismatch.
   1817. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: November 07, 2018 at 11:04 PM (#5784060)
Bembry has the worst hair in the NBA. Maybe ever.
nah.

also: still nah.
   1818. tshipman Posted: November 08, 2018 at 12:24 AM (#5784077)
Lakers need to stop screwing around and just start Josh Hart.
   1819. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: November 08, 2018 at 12:53 AM (#5784079)
QFT. Also, Tyson Chander, still good at being tall.
   1820. tshipman Posted: November 08, 2018 at 12:56 AM (#5784080)
Lakers win despite the Wolves going 20/40 on ridiculously bad attempts from 3, including a 7-9 performance from Derrick Rose.
   1821. Red Voodooin Posted: November 08, 2018 at 01:12 AM (#5784081)
Monstrous dunk by Sabonis over Embiid.

Sabonis is having an incredible start to the season. 4th in the NBA in PER, 15th in Estimated Wins Added.
   1822. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: November 08, 2018 at 07:09 AM (#5784097)
I think the Wolves have broken Towns.
   1823. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: November 08, 2018 at 07:11 AM (#5784098)
On Sabonis: He looks really good--strong defensively, smart rebounder, plays within himself. It's funny that he was hyped as a stretch 5 when drafted when he's the opposite of that. Anyway, I don't think Embiid has much real estate inside his head.
   1824. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: November 08, 2018 at 08:43 AM (#5784113)
Towns will be fine as soon as Butler's gone. He's just moping. Admittedly that's not a good look for a franchise player, but I do expect he'll go back to what he was the last couple years as soon as Butler leaves.

The Pacers just signed Myles Turner to a 4 year extension last month, and now Sabonis is pushing him aside. They probably can't play big minutes together without killing spacing. Indiana's going to have a decision to make pretty soon if Sabonis keeps up with anything remotely like this.

I like Turner, but he's probably pretty near his ceiling which is Decent NBA Starter, right?
   1825. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: November 08, 2018 at 09:06 AM (#5784123)
I like Turner, but he's probably pretty near his ceiling which is Decent NBA Starter, right?

Seems to be. He's a good defender and his shot is ok but he's not an aggressive shooter, he doesn't really pass, doesn't have much of a handle and is a terrible post player. Definitely a guy you'd want on your team but not really a cornerstone. So far. You never know with guys but, with Sabonis due to be paid soon, they might have to make a decision on just keeping one and Sabonis seems like the one you'd keep.
   1826. spivey Posted: November 08, 2018 at 09:23 AM (#5784135)
Turner hasn't really developed much beyond what he was his first or second year. In college he flashed all of the talent, but I don't think he has the ability to be a high volume scorer - so you need him to excel elsewhere (efficiency, defense, rebounding). His rebounding numbers have gone down a good amount each year.

He's taking a lot less 3s this year than last. If Turner can get you mid-30s percent 3 at a good volume I think you can make it work on offense.

Sabonis is a skilled big man with a mean streak. I knew he'd be good offensively, but I think a defense with him at the anchor would have zero rim protection. I think him and Turner have pretty complementary skills, actually. They could use a second all-star, badly, but I'm not sure it'll be either of them.

The McDermott deal was and is weird to me.
   1827. jmurph Posted: November 08, 2018 at 09:33 AM (#5784145)
The McDermott deal was and is weird to me.

They were probably hoping for more out of Evans than they've gotten so far, too.
   1828. The Good Face Posted: November 08, 2018 at 09:40 AM (#5784155)

QFT. Also, Tyson Chander, still good at being tall.

Who moves to the bench? Kuzma? That current Lakers starting lineup seems like a defensive mess, and Kuzma looks to be at the heart of it. LeBron is too busy conserving his body's finite energy to defend, which means one of Ingram/Kuzma is going to spend most of their time chasing a 2 around; that doesn't seem to be putting either guy in an ideal situation for them to succeed.
   1829. spivey Posted: November 08, 2018 at 09:47 AM (#5784166)
OKC won last night against the Cavs with only 10 assists. That seems like it'd be hard to do if you tried. Schroder, replacing Westbrook due to injury, had 28 points and 0 assists from the PG position.
   1830. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: November 08, 2018 at 10:02 AM (#5784183)
The #### happened to my Nuggets last night? One shot attempt by Joker?!??
   1831. jmurph Posted: November 08, 2018 at 10:08 AM (#5784190)
Mike Zavagno @MZavagno11
Trae Young is shooting 9-47 on pull up 3s on the season (10-23 on catch and shoot 3s)
He is 13-35 on wide open 3s and 6-35 on open 3s — creating a stark contrast.
FIVE of his 9 pull up 3s made have come against the Cavs. In non-Cavs games, he is 4-35 on pull up 3s

Are people concerned about Trae Young's shooting? I'm not sure I've watched him play yet (in the regular season, at least).
   1832. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: November 08, 2018 at 11:10 AM (#5784239)
Schroder, replacing Westbrook due to injury, had 28 points and 0 assists from the PG position

I don't find this surprising at all. Schroder is his own first, second and last option.
   1833. jmurph Posted: November 08, 2018 at 11:56 AM (#5784268)
On Minnesota's offensive struggles:
canishoopus @canishoopus
Worst 2P% in league because they don't get to rim (24th in %of shots within 3 feet.) Weren't getting their last yr. either (22nd) which is why that 4th Ortg was unlikely to sustain. Drop off bigger than I expected though so far.
   1834. aberg Posted: November 08, 2018 at 12:16 PM (#5784285)
Yeah, lots of Wolves missing 3-10 footers that they made last year. You don't want lots of non-layup 2s, but the team is still shooting worse on those shots than their established level.

I kinda thought Chandler fouled KAT on that last LAL offensive rebound last night. KAT had position and Chandler reached over and clotheslined him. Not an excuse for the other 3 boards on that possession. Taj looks like he aged 5 years since last year.
   1835. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: November 08, 2018 at 12:18 PM (#5784290)
Wendell Carter Jr was the 7th pick and looks like he's already a good NBA starter at 19. This draft is and was loaded. I don't like Trae Young's game much and I was digging through his shot chart as well last night after Carter's big game just looking at rookie production overall. Young is currently shooting 56.5% at the rim. That's not going to cut it long term. On a positive side you can't say he's not trying to get to the rim, taking 6 shots a game there. Like to see that get up around the 65% range.

FWIW Wendell is only shooting 55% at the rim, which illustrates his general lack of explosion from a standing position. For Carter and Young they will have to get stronger, that's the easiest path forward IMO. Wendell had the ball ripped out of his hands last night by a wing and too often around the rim he gets muscled out of position. He did have a really nice drive baseline on AD last night where he took a bump and finished a little reverse layup.

The #### happened to my Nuggets last night? One shot attempt by Joker?!??

He had zero shots entering the 4th, wtf man? Nobody cares but he was the entire genesis of my fantasy roster this year and FFS. Is he trying to prove a point or something?
   1836. maccoach57 Posted: November 08, 2018 at 12:51 PM (#5784326)
Towns: He will be fine, with or without Jimmy Butler.
Lakers lineup: I mentioned that earlier, and tshipman is correct about Hart. I would start Ball/Hart/Kuzma/James/McGee and use Ingram off the bench, playing on-ball more, sharing initiating with Rondo and playing minutes without James.
Spurs: I notice that they lost a couple, including a home game against Orlando. Popovich is still doing a phenomenal job so far.
Nuggets: Stuff like that happens sometimes after you get to 9-1.
John Wall: A personal favorite who seems to need a team change. I like the Wall/Wiggins idea.
   1837. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: November 08, 2018 at 01:06 PM (#5784339)
Wendell Carter Jr was the 7th pick and looks like he's already a good NBA starter at 19. This draft is and was loaded.

Yep.

I don't like Trae Young's game much and I was digging through his shot chart as well last night after Carter's big game just looking at rookie production overall. Young is currently shooting 56.5% at the rim. That's not going to cut it long term. On a positive side you can't say he's not trying to get to the rim, taking 6 shots a game there. Like to see that get up around the 65% range.

POOMA, but I think performance at the rim looks like a bell curve. Quickly eyeballed Kemba, Steph, Kyrie, Lowry, and CP3's 0-3 ft numbers (below the rim PGs) and on average it looks like they were at one level for about 3-4 years at the start of their career and then jumped up. Logically, it makes sense to me. You learn bigs/defensive schemes and figure out counters.
   1838. jmurph Posted: November 08, 2018 at 01:19 PM (#5784345)
But Young has also been dreadful from three so far, and he didn't exactly hit an elite percentage in college. Is this just a degree of difficulty thing with his shot selection?
   1839. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: November 08, 2018 at 01:26 PM (#5784355)
But Young has also been dreadful from three so far, and he didn't exactly hit an elite percentage in college. Is this just a degree of difficulty thing with his shot selection?

He loves the pull up jumper. And part of it is being short for a scoring guard with middling athleticism. Most of his shots will be contested one way or another.

1840. JC in DC Posted: November 08, 2018 at 01:36 PM (#5784364)
Are people concerned about Trae Young's shooting? I'm not sure I've watched him play yet (in the regular season, at least).

I'm not. This is his first year. He gets to the rim well, and his shot looks the part. He's got no fear to take it, and he's got a good handle. Last night, Frank dominated him, but last night convinced me Frank might be the best on-ball defensive PG in the game. He's seriously disruptive, to the point Bembry became the Hawks primary ball-handler. Until Frank picked up his fifth foul, Young couldn't separate. But Young will adjust, I'm pretty confident of that. If the expectation is he becomes Curry, well, of course that's not likely. But I think he can be a very good scoring PG. He stinks on defense, however, and NY exploited that with Frank and Mudiay. Yeah, really: Mudiay.
   1841. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: November 08, 2018 at 01:45 PM (#5784368)
Laker fans, am I alone in being frustrated about Kuzma's inability to drive in anything but a straight line? Was he always like this? Not sure I've seen someone pile up so many obvious charging calls.
   1842. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: November 08, 2018 at 01:46 PM (#5784369)

Yeah, IIRC Pelton or someone broke down his college shooting numbers for degree of difficulty and it showed that he takes an absurd amount of really tough shots.
   1843. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: November 08, 2018 at 01:54 PM (#5784377)
If Kuzma had wiggle he'd have been a top ten pick!
   1844. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: November 08, 2018 at 02:04 PM (#5784386)
Towns will be fine as soon as Butler's gone. He's just moping. Admittedly that's not a good look for a franchise player, but I do expect he'll go back to what he was the last couple years as soon as Butler leaves.

I dunno. I think it's pretty silly to try and narrativize this.
   1845. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: November 08, 2018 at 02:09 PM (#5784389)
FWIW Wendell is only shooting 55% at the rim, which illustrates his general lack of explosion from a standing position. For Carter and Young they will have to get stronger, that's the easiest path forward IMO. Wendell had the ball ripped out of his hands last night by a wing and too often around the rim he gets muscled out of position. He did have a really nice drive baseline on AD last night where he took a bump and finished a little reverse layup.

He lays in, or tries to lay in, way too many shots that should be dunks for a big. I haven't look into the numbers, but WC also struggles with rebounding in that he can relatively easy be bumped out of position. Hopefully that improves with strength and weight training.

None of my complaints are meant to imply I don't think he's good or won't be good; they're all things that I think should and will improve with experience/age/muscle. He seems to have an amazing feel for the game already, which is one of those can't really be taught things. I just can't wait to see him and Lauri together and see how that works.
   1846. The Good Face Posted: November 08, 2018 at 02:13 PM (#5784395)
Laker fans, am I alone in being frustrated about Kuzma's inability to drive in anything but a straight line? Was he always like this? Not sure I've seen someone pile up so many obvious charging calls.

Eh, Kuzma's 2P% is .596%, which is better than LeBron's. He's not shooting 3s particularly well, and he's still a bad defender, but his drives to the rim don't appear to be a big problem.
   1847. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: November 08, 2018 at 02:26 PM (#5784402)
I really dislike Tim Hardaway. He will get his points, but he does not make big plays, 50-50 plays, and takes really dump deep 2 point shots. I can't wait until we phase him out for Zion.

I've felt for years that the #1 option on a bad team will always get more hate than he deserves. If you put Timmy (or "Tommy" as some Knicks fans call the chucking version) on a good team and suddenly he's your 3rd option then the perception would change imo.

1848. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: November 08, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5784456)
I dunno. I think it's pretty silly to try and narrativize this.

Hey, that's a DPOY he's going against.
   1849. Fourth True Outcome Posted: November 08, 2018 at 04:01 PM (#5784463)
ey, that's a DPOY he's going against.

Defensive Player of Yesteryear?
   1850. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: November 08, 2018 at 04:29 PM (#5784481)
I recently got a new phone, replacing one that has been a mess for years now - couldn't back it up, hard to charge, and so on. Interestingly, the list of bookmarked webpages on said new phone (post-porting) corresponded to what I was looking at 4-5 years ago, including a spreadsheet that combined stat-dork ratings from the most recent NBA draft with the actual selections.

Here's the top ten of each:

STAT
Embiid (3 in real), Smart (6), Capela (25), Parker (2), Jordan Adams (22), Jokic (41), Nurkic (16), Kyle Anderson (30), Vonleh (10), Exum (5)
ACTUAL
Wiggins (14 in stat), Parker (4), Embiid (1), Gordon (11), Exum (10), Smart (2), Randle (13), Stauskas (24), Vonleh (9), Payton (15)

3 more big discrepancies each way:
STAT liked Jarnell Stokes (16 v 35), Spencer Dinwiddie (17 v 38) and Langston Galloway (21 v undrafted)
ACTUAL liked Zach LaVine (13 v 36), James Young (17 v 38), Adreian Payne (15 v 53)
   1851. spivey Posted: November 08, 2018 at 10:25 PM (#5784684)
Man, I think I'm over the Rockets.

People have talked about their defense, but their offense is 21st in O Rtg. Harden's still been really good offensively, but is clearly worse than the two previous years where it seemed like he could create an efficient offensive play every time down.

Beyond that, Paul and Gordon are way below their averages, but I think that will probably bounce back.

But their bench! Melo looks beyond cooked. Ennis, MCW, and Gerald Green are key guys for them. There's just too much point hemorrhaging there.

--

Unrelated, but I know Steven Adams has gotten some flak for his max contract. But god damn he's a beast. He's just destroying the Rockets physically. And he has that ability against all the undersized teams to just wear out their centers.
   1852. JC in DC Posted: November 08, 2018 at 10:42 PM (#5784691)
Spivey: I just came to write more or less the same thing. Houston looks really out of it right now, and I agree it's about the talent. Their bench looks terrible.
   1853. jmurph Posted: November 08, 2018 at 10:47 PM (#5784694)
I would enjoy this Houston thing more if the Celtics weren't the worst team in the history of sports right now.
   1854. spivey Posted: November 08, 2018 at 10:58 PM (#5784697)
The first quarter of the Milwaukee/Golden State game has been fun, fast paced, and competitive. But that's all I'll get to see. If you were to draw up the perfect defender to deal with Giannis, he'd look a lot like Durant.

Edit: Also, Khris Middleton is a baller. Probably won't be worth the max contract he gets, but this year, he is worth getting paid the max.

Double Edit: The bench mob of Milwaukee is kind of fun. Good rebounding with Henson and Ersan. Henson gives solid rim protection, and DDV and Brogdon are both those kind of guys that you want especially during the regular season getting ball handling and initiating action reps, but sharing it is good. They're also both solid enough off ball and can defend both guard spots.
   1855. jmurph Posted: November 08, 2018 at 11:31 PM (#5784714)
Absolutely ridiculous that Boston just forced overtime. They were down by 22 earlier, down 15 entering the 4th.

(And yes, I know it's only Phoenix, but that should tell you how bad Boston looked for the first 44.5 minutes.)

EDIT: And somehow won. Second game of a road back to back in Utah tomorrow coming off of overtime is not, uh, ideal, but at least they got this one.
   1856. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: November 09, 2018 at 12:00 AM (#5784723)
Absolutely ridiculous that Boston just forced overtime. They were down by 22 earlier, down 15 entering the 4th.

That was a crazy comeback. Kyrie was immense. Does it seem the Celtics are less than the sum of their parts right now tho? I mean, the Suns folded like a lawn chair under Zion but how did they get down that much in the 1st place? Kyrie deciding to take matters into his own hand seemed to turn the tide.
   1857. Tin Angel Posted: November 09, 2018 at 12:01 AM (#5784724)
The Bucks are really fun to watch right now.
   1858. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: November 09, 2018 at 12:11 AM (#5784726)
Warriors (sans Draymond) with absolutely no answers for MIL's length/athleticism.
   1859. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: November 09, 2018 at 01:18 AM (#5784734)
Beating the W's by 23 going 9 for 35 from beyond the arc is quite a result.
   1860. Just TFTIO Posted: November 09, 2018 at 09:02 AM (#5784783)
I hope these standings hold for the season.
   1861. jmurph Posted: November 09, 2018 at 10:26 AM (#5784826)
Does it seem the Celtics are less than the sum of their parts right now tho? I mean, the Suns folded like a lawn chair under Zion but how did they get down that much in the 1st place? Kyrie deciding to take matters into his own hand seemed to turn the tide.

Yes to the first question- I think they just haven't yet figured out how to maximize all of their scorers. You'll see a few possessions where Tatum doesn't touch it, and then when he does you can take to the bank that he's going to put on a dribbling exhibition and launch a (likely bad) two.

That said, early last night, and this has been the case much of the year, they were generating but missing wide open looks. They're number 3 in wide open 3s per game, but only 20th in %. Number one in catch and shoot 3 attempts, but 14th in %. And these aren't bad shooters (although Baynes needs to settle down a bit), they're generally featuring 3-4 above average shooters at all times. So that should come around at some point.

I'm honestly not particularly worried about them. They have other areas they need to improve (attacking the rim being a big one), but the defense remains very good and I'm confident they'll improve on offense. I'm only worried Toronto and Milwaukee are going to run away with the top 2 seeds.
   1862. jmurph Posted: November 09, 2018 at 11:14 AM (#5784859)
All of the NBA City jerseys in one place.
Denver, Houston, Miami, Minnesota, and New Orleans are the standouts to me.

I like the Bulls one but what the hell does it have to do with the Bulls or Chicago? I'm clearly missing something.
   1863. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: November 09, 2018 at 11:17 AM (#5784861)
   1864. Just TFTIO Posted: November 09, 2018 at 11:21 AM (#5784865)
I love the Chicago flag.
   1865. jmurph Posted: November 09, 2018 at 11:21 AM (#5784866)
That helps a little, the coloring is still weird but it's a cool graphic. Seems like the 4 teams with the classic jerseys (Knicks, Celtics, Lakers, and Bulls) struggle with this.
   1866. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: November 09, 2018 at 11:25 AM (#5784867)
Crazy. I have absolutely LOVED the Bulls 2 city jerseys. Both have used the flag inspiration, with the blue mixed with the red/white/black.
   1867. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: November 09, 2018 at 11:29 AM (#5784873)
1. The Chicago flag is the best flag and as I've said before, the Bulls' City Edition is outstanding.

2. City jerseys were such a great idea by Nike.
   1868. Just TFTIO Posted: November 09, 2018 at 11:30 AM (#5784874)
1. The Chicago flag is the best flag and as I've said before, the Bulls' City Edition is outstanding.

2. City jerseys were such a great idea by Nike.

I love the Prince ones. I love them so much.
   1869. jmurph Posted: November 09, 2018 at 11:31 AM (#5784877)
It's so weird that both of you, generally good thinkers, are so clearly wrong on the internet.

But seriously I like it, but I did have to go through the teams alphabetically to figure out who that jersey was for.
   1870. jmurph Posted: November 09, 2018 at 11:34 AM (#5784880)
Memphis and the Pacers appear to have spent less than 5 minutes combined on theirs.
   1871. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: November 09, 2018 at 11:34 AM (#5784881)
the sixers' jersey is godawful.
I love the Prince ones. I love them so much.

yup. even i want to get a jimmy butler...uh...andrew wiggins...uh...derrick rose...uh...luol deng...uh...ah, #### it, i'll just go with a james nunnaly jersey.
   1872. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: November 09, 2018 at 11:34 AM (#5784883)
[1869] CM Punk was the one who introduced me to the Chicago flag.
   1873. spivey Posted: November 09, 2018 at 11:36 AM (#5784884)
Denver and Miami are my favorites and has me considering getting each.

Minnesota, OKC, and Portland are next. I actually don't love the color scheme of the Portland one, I'd prefer all black (like last years?), but ripcity is quite catchy.

The Spurs one is awful, and the Bucks and Utah are both too loud, imo.
   1874. jmurph Posted: November 09, 2018 at 11:37 AM (#5784888)
I don't see any reason that Denver and New Orleans shouldn't use these full time. Miami, too.
   1875. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: November 09, 2018 at 11:41 AM (#5784891)
Next time you're in Chicago, look around. The flag is just *everywhere*.

I wish last year's Bulls City uniform replaced their normal white ones.
   1876. jmurph Posted: November 09, 2018 at 11:43 AM (#5784893)
Ooh last year's was great, I'll give you that.
   1877. Just TFTIO Posted: November 09, 2018 at 11:44 AM (#5784896)
Next time you're in Chicago, look around. The flag is just *everywhere*.

That's because it is the best flag in the world.

All us young punks had motorcycle jackets with the flag patch on the shoulder, back in the day.
   1878. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: November 09, 2018 at 11:46 AM (#5784897)
After it was explained to me I tried to like the Brooklyn one but it still doesn't do much for me. CHI, DEN, MIA, MIN are the clear standouts for me.
   1879. Just TFTIO Posted: November 09, 2018 at 11:48 AM (#5784900)
I can't play basketball any longer, and I don't wear jerseys around, because I am not nine years old, but I still want one of those Prince jerseys.
   1880. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: November 09, 2018 at 12:39 PM (#5784933)
Every time I see "Los Suns" I cringe.
   1881. aberg Posted: November 09, 2018 at 12:47 PM (#5784938)
For those of you who no habla espanol, El Nino is Spanish for The Nino.
   1882. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: November 09, 2018 at 12:59 PM (#5784948)
El Heat
   1883. aberg Posted: November 09, 2018 at 01:02 PM (#5784951)
They should do a French Canadian version for Les Rapteurs.
   1884. Tin Angel Posted: November 09, 2018 at 01:07 PM (#5784959)
For those of you who no habla espanol, El Nino is Spanish for The Nino.

Could you also translate Los Suns?
   1885. jmurph Posted: November 09, 2018 at 01:38 PM (#5784984)
Los Lobos is right there for the taking, come on Minnesota.
   1886. Just TFTIO Posted: November 09, 2018 at 01:46 PM (#5784990)
Thibs is never going to get another job, is he?
   1887. jmurph Posted: November 09, 2018 at 02:02 PM (#5785005)
I could see the path of being a top assistant for several years, taking over as an interim coach after the head coach gets fired, and then getting a full time job again.
   1888. aberg Posted: November 09, 2018 at 02:04 PM (#5785006)
I hope he gets another job because the Wolves deserve to play against him at some point.
   1889. Just TFTIO Posted: November 09, 2018 at 02:21 PM (#5785018)
I’ve moved past simply wanting him fired and now want active, ongoing humiliation for him, although it’d be hard for him to humiliate himself more throughly than he has already.
   1890. tshipman Posted: November 09, 2018 at 03:22 PM (#5785061)
Every time I see "Los Suns" I cringe.

I mean, this is how actual latinos refer to the team.

It's like Los Dodgers. Like, yeah, it's not translated, but it's how people in that community actually refer to the team, which should be primary over what some Anglos think it *should* be.
   1891. Just TFTIO Posted: November 09, 2018 at 03:26 PM (#5785064)
It's like Los Dodgers. Like, yeah, it's not translated, but it's how people in that community actually refer to the team, which should be primary over what some Anglos think it *should* be.

Doesn't mean it's not ugly, though.
   1892. maccoach57 Posted: November 09, 2018 at 03:40 PM (#5785078)
Milwaukee: Looking at some metrics, it is clear that I underrated the Brook Lopez DRB effect and Milwaukee's other changes.

City Uniforms: Some of them are in fact better than the traditional unis, but the whole point of the Nike uni culture is that "permanent home and road uniforms" are gone. I personally am very much not into that as a fan, but that is probably just an age thing. If they made a rule that all Lakers-Celtics games have to be played with traditional home and road colors and unis, I could live with teams like Charlotte and OKC having umpteen different unis. On a related note: My lawn is off-limits.

Boston: They will be fine. Whether they can beat Milwaukee and Toronto in post-season is another question, but if they get to the playoffs with Hayward and Irving healthy this time, I think they will have a good shot.

Minnesota: They still have Towns, and he is signed long-term. So that is a solid reason for hope. As to Thibodeau, while I appear to be deadass wrong about the benefits of switching from Kidd to Budenholzer, I was initially skeptical about Thibodeau's long-term impact.
   1893. JC in DC Posted: November 09, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5785079)
I really have no interest in the uniforms. I just want to see Knox, KP, and Zion in their Knicks gear, whatever fashion that might be.
   1894. Tin Angel Posted: November 09, 2018 at 03:58 PM (#5785088)
I just want to see Knox, KP, and Zion in their Knicks gear, whatever fashion that might be.

It would be cool to see if the Warriors could figure out a way to get Zion. Would be a good fit.
   1895. JC in DC Posted: November 09, 2018 at 05:55 PM (#5785173)
Caught my son watching this. I really loved those games, even though NY ended up on the wrong end of the Ws. I miss 2 point shots.
   1896. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: November 09, 2018 at 07:39 PM (#5785235)
Caught my son watching this. I really loved those games, even though NY ended up on the wrong end of the Ws. I miss 2 point shots.

I watched that I think about two months ago waiting for the season to start and dude, it's hardly even the same game. The level of pushing, shoving, clawing, grabbing, and general just inefficiency of most of the offense running through post play and plodding big stiffs...

That said, after watching the league this year, I'm not convinced that one style is more pleasing than the other. Watching guys chuck threes (like Boston last night early) when they are missing isn't great either.

Also, the early Marv and Czar crew is one of the best off all time imo. The Snapper Jones and Walton team wasn't bad either.
   1897. tshipman Posted: November 09, 2018 at 08:19 PM (#5785247)
I watched that I think about two months ago waiting for the season to start and dude, it's hardly even the same game. The level of pushing, shoving, clawing, grabbing, and general just inefficiency of most of the offense running through post play and plodding big stiffs...

Things I enjoyed:

Paxson spacing the floor ... from 2 steps inside the 3p arc.
Absolutely no one other than Pippen even having the remotest chance of providing help defense.
Guys sprinting up the court after makes in the first quarter.
Cartwright with the slowest ####### post moves I can believe.

It's a shame Scottie is such a curmudgeon these days. He's such a perfect modern player. Imagine him playing the stretch 4 ...
   1898. tshipman Posted: November 09, 2018 at 09:20 PM (#5785263)
Fultz's value has to be at an all time low.
   1899. PJ Martinez Posted: November 09, 2018 at 09:36 PM (#5785268)
Embiid is very, very good at many things, including flopping.
   1900. Harlond Posted: November 09, 2018 at 09:38 PM (#5785270)
Embiid traveled on that game-tying three and then fouled Walker on the head next play. Neither infraction called. The travel was obvious.
Page 19 of 25 pages ‹ First  < 17 18 19 20 21 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
James Kannengieser
for his generous support.