Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, October 05, 2018

OT - NBA Thread (2018-19 season kickoff edition)

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, none of whom knew the old thread would get closed, thus detracting from what this site is really about: the baseball playoffs, maybe?

Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: October 05, 2018 at 03:43 PM | 2720 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: basketball, nba, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 8 of 28 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›
   701. Booey Posted: October 19, 2018 at 10:40 AM (#5771012)
flip
   702. jmurph Posted: October 19, 2018 at 10:49 AM (#5771027)
I agree that the Davis stuff just looks like wishful thinking from fans of other teams.
   703. CFBF Rides The Zombie Ice Dragon Posted: October 19, 2018 at 10:59 AM (#5771037)
All these years later I still get the New Orleans and Charlotte franchises confused.
   704. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:06 AM (#5771046)
I agree that the Davis stuff just looks like wishful thinking from fans of other teams.

Absolutely, especially linking him to LA specifically. I'd love for him to come home to Chicago, but I also really hope he rides it out in NO and gets a ring down there.

---

Bulls game was very predictable last night - they played fast, looked damn near competent offensively for a while, and couldn't get a stop to save their life. LaVine really looks good there - so much more athletic and quick than last year, it would be a surprise for him to put up 30 points on a semi-regular basis. Payne had 0 points, and just was overall total garbage, which isn't a surprise to anyone besides GarPax. Parker is a guy that is on the Bulls.
   705. jmurph Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:08 AM (#5771048)
Bulls game was very predictable last night - they played fast, looked damn near competent offensively for a while, and couldn't get a stop to save their life. LaVine really looks good there - so much more athletic and quick than last year, it would be a surprise for him to put up 30 points on a semi-regular basis. Payne had 0 points, and just was overall total garbage, which isn't a surprise to anyone besides GarPax. Parker is a guy that is on the Bulls.

They're going to score a lot of points when/if they're all healthy. They will also give up a ton + 5 every night, but it will be entertaining at least!
   706. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:10 AM (#5771052)
Parker is a guy that is on the Bulls.

While watching last night's game I realized that Jabari might be the guy I most sportshate at the moment. It's the combination of how soft his body looks, my siding with Wiggins in the great Wiggins vs Jabari debates (which turned out rather pointless), and that awful interview he gave after signing which amounted to yes I suck on defense but also it's not possible for anyone to be a good defender so why should I even try.
   707. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:18 AM (#5771066)
While watching last night's game I realized that Jabari might be the guy I most sportshate at the moment. It's the combination of how soft his body looks, my siding with Wiggins in the great Wiggins vs Jabari debates (which turned out rather pointless), and that awful interview he gave after signing which amounted to yes I suck on defense but also it's not possible for anyone to be a good defender so why should I even try.

Yeah, I hear that. As a Bulls fan, he's such an obvious terrible fit. The Bulls are going the right thing by really promoting his work in the City, and he really seems to be genuine, so I'm rooting for him. I really wish it could work out for him, but it just won't.
   708. jmurph Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:28 AM (#5771074)
my siding with Wiggins in the great Wiggins vs Jabari debates (which turned out rather pointless)

Hmm I'm going to call that one for the Parker advocates, because no one is on the hook for $150 million for that guy.
   709. spivey Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:31 AM (#5771079)
Yeah, between Jabari being out of shape and his quotes on not even wanting to try to play defense, I'm very down on him reaching his potential. I'd still held out some hope he had a place in the game as a small-ball 4 if he could improve on defense and rebounding. After reading that quote, I think his future is just getting buckets on bad teams, or being a microwave a-la late era Michael Beasley.
   710. maccoach57 Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:45 AM (#5771095)
Absolutely, especially linking him to LA specifically.

Davis:He just canned his agent and signed with Rich Paul. That may or may not mean anything, but that (and Haterboy fatalism) is where Bill Simmons got it. No one knows what Davis will do, including perhaps Davis, and imagining otherwise is the wishful thinking. NO could get swept in the first round this year, or they could make the WCF with the right matchups, and how that plays out will likely affect what Davis does.

Lakers: As Lowe said in his tiers thing, D will be a problem.

Ball: Shooty is correct, and also, Rondo probably won't help the Lakers win more than Ball would in any case. The young guys on the Lakers are as good as the Clowns and Bastards. As I said in preseason, I would prefer Randle, Lopez and a generic cheap PG to McGee and Rondo, but it is 100% obvious that Magic/Pelinka's #1 goal after getting James was to have enough money to sign a second max guy in 2019 independent of any other factors. So they stretched Deng and let Randle walk. The question now is whether it will work.

711. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:46 AM (#5771099)
philly crowd and fultz: they're behind him 100%. i'm not sure it's entirely productive, given the fact that they're trying to get him to do the thing he's worst at, but it's a step up from

philly crowd and covington: he misses so many wide open 3s and it's going to get ugly at some point. the crowd hates this guy.

ben simmons: after the all star break last year i said he's better than embiid. i stand behind it.

landry shamet: it's easy to overlook him because he was the sixers' lesser first round pick and he's 5th in their guard rotation and he doesn't have any standout physical tools and he's a poor defender, but he's a great shooter and he has a great sense for how to move without the ball.

lonzo ball: i still want to see what him and simmons can do together. their combination of BBIQ and passing ability would be orgasmic.

712. jmurph Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:53 AM (#5771107)
philly crowd and covington: he misses so many wide open 3s and it's going to get ugly at some point. the crowd hates this guy.

I think Covington has always been a little overrated, but he's cheap now, what's not to like.
   713. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: October 19, 2018 at 12:18 PM (#5771140)
Sometimes it doesn't matter how cheap the player is if they're not producing. Maybe they have more leeway than a dude making the max. It's also easier to see missed threes than good help defense.
   714. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: October 19, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5771289)
Covington's still a damn good defender and doesn't stop the ball and chuck long twos. 35% from three isn't great, but won't kill you. If Philly didn't want him Daryl Morey would break his fingers trying to be the first to call Elton Brand.
   715. jmurph Posted: October 19, 2018 at 02:57 PM (#5771322)
philly crowd and fultz: they're behind him 100%. i'm not sure it's entirely productive, given the fact that they're trying to get him to do the thing he's worst at, but it's a step up from

This piece at The Ringer makes that point- they're treating him like Rudy, like a walk on. Reggie Miller was reminding me of the Great Tebow Wars of ought-a couple years ago, when his supporters would claim to notice improvement in the throwing motion and his passing ability where none could actually be found.
   716. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: October 19, 2018 at 03:43 PM (#5771367)
Oh man that Rudy analogy is great.

Covington is a perfect third banana and you'll never be able to convince me otherwise. Love that guy. There are a hell of a lot worse things than a poor man's Kawhi Leonard (which may be what Kawhi Leonard ends up as, we shall see)
   717. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: October 19, 2018 at 03:49 PM (#5771370)
This piece at The Ringer makes that point- they're treating him like Rudy, like a walk on. Reggie Miller was reminding me of the Great Tebow Wars of ought-a couple years ago, when his supporters would claim to notice improvement in the throwing motion and his passing ability where none could actually be found.

Yeah, this twitter conversation covers the same ground, without the mandatory Simmons pop culture reference:

Derek Bodner @DerekBodnerNBA

The entirety of my life Philly sports fans have been defined nationally by how fans boo. They have every reason to be frustrated by what's gone on with Fultz, from the king's ransom they gave up in the trade to him being key to get by Boston. Support they've shown is incredible.

John Schuhmann @johnschuhmann

I get this sentiment. Still was such a strange moment last night. I compare it to all the parents encouraging the one kid on the pee-wee team who hasn't scored all season. So weird to have that at the NBA level.

Bobby Marks @BobbyMarks42

And for the first pick in the draft. But the fans know that they need Fultz to succeed for this team to have a chance beyond rd. 2.

John Schuhmann @johnschuhmann

True. I feel Scal got that kind of treatment when he was the 12th man at one of his stops (Chicago, maybe) & it bothered him. The walk-on on a college team gets it too.
   718. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: October 19, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5771373)

I'm glad to be wrong on Lavine so far. He looked incredible. Still has obvious flaws in his game and his upside is "third banana on a serious contender" but that's more than I thought a month ago. He can score.

Without Dunn they never had a chance in this game. The have exactly one good perimeter defender and it's Dunn. Not sure why Holiday is still around. Should have tried to get a three and D type with some upside. Hutch ain't even in the rotation. Waste of a pick that resulted from a really flawed process.
   719. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: October 19, 2018 at 04:21 PM (#5771386)
Not sure why Holiday is still around.

I fail to see how he's a problem. If the Bulls decided they could only have him or Nwaba, maybe, but that's even a flawed premise to begin with.
   720. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: October 19, 2018 at 04:24 PM (#5771388)
Bobby Marks @BobbyMarks42

And for the first pick in the draft. But the fans know that they need Fultz to succeed for this team to have a chance beyond rd. 2.
this is not true. fultz being good is the shortest path for the sixers to get to the finals, but it's not the only one.
Covington is a perfect third banana and you'll never be able to convince me otherwise. Love that guy. There are a hell of a lot worse things than a poor man's Kawhi Leonard (which may be what Kawhi Leonard ends up as, we shall see)
this is also not true.

it might be true in an NBA that didn't have the heatles or the hamptons five, but in this NBA, covington doesn't provide enough firepower to be a third banana.
   721. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: October 19, 2018 at 04:28 PM (#5771392)
they're treating him like Rudy, like a walk on. Reggie Miller was reminding me of the Great Tebow Wars of ought-a couple years ago,
I feel Scal got that kind of treatment when he was the 12th man at one of his stops (Chicago, maybe) & it bothered him. The walk-on on a college team gets it too.
I compare it to all the parents encouraging the one kid on the pee-wee team who hasn't scored all season
so....philly fans are treating fultz like he's white.

722. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: October 19, 2018 at 04:44 PM (#5771393)
#721 is the greatest, smartest, funniest, most insightful comment ever made on OT:NBA. Everyone else can go home.
   723. If on a winter's night a baserunner Posted: October 19, 2018 at 05:07 PM (#5771401)

Absolutely, especially linking him to LA specifically.
He just canned his agent and signed with Rich Paul. That may or may not mean anything, but that (and Haterboy fatalism) is where Bill Simmons got it.

I completely agree with the core point that no one, with the possible exception of Davis, knows what he will choose to do. But I think these are both underselling our ability to read the league-wide roster/salary situation. There are very few teams with either the assets or the cap space to be plausible landing spots while also being attractive basketball destinations for a guy like Davis; that doesn't give us anything resembling certainty about what will happen (cf. Deron Williams, Boogie Cousins, Paul George, etc etc etc), but there's more than wishful thinking or "Haterboy fatalism" going on.

Of course, there is still a lot of both of those in the discourse, and I can't fault anyone for finding star-poaching speculation uninteresting or distasteful, so maybe I don't have much of a point here.

-----

Cosign on 721 and 722 both.
   724. aberg Posted: October 19, 2018 at 05:45 PM (#5771411)

He reminds me of a middle class Jae Crowder (who is also a middle class Jae Crowder, but older).

I'm glad to be wrong on Lavine so far. He looked incredible. Still has obvious flaws in his game and his upside is "third banana on a serious contender" but that's more than I thought a month ago. He can score.

He can't play defense. Although, I will repeat that I wanted the Wolves to shop Wiggins and keep Lavine.
   725. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 19, 2018 at 07:01 PM (#5771427)
He can't play defense. Although, I will repeat that I wanted the Wolves to shop Wiggins and keep Lavine.

Double cosign.
   726. If on a winter's night a baserunner Posted: October 19, 2018 at 07:50 PM (#5771434)
I see LaVine's upside as "top-notch 6th man on a serious contender" given his (especially defensive) issues, but I'm notably pessimistic about amazing-athleticism-bad-BBIQ-type prospects.
   727. jmurph Posted: October 19, 2018 at 08:41 PM (#5771442)
Boston has played 9 guys in the 1st so far, Toronto has played 10. Such a luxury for the long regular season.
   728. jmurph Posted: October 19, 2018 at 08:44 PM (#5771445)
Orlando down by just the 30, at home, in the 3rd quarter, to the Horcats.
   729. SteveF Posted: October 19, 2018 at 08:45 PM (#5771447)
Boston has played 9 guys in the 1st so far, Toronto has played 10. Such a luxury for the long regular season.

Kind of an ugly game. Hard to tell how much of it is poor play and how much it is the officials injecting themselves into the action. Lots of offensive foul calls.
   730. jmurph Posted: October 19, 2018 at 09:24 PM (#5771456)
Umm Giannis just dunked in a rebound and when he let go of the rim both his feet were basically on the floor already. I don't actually understand what I just saw.
   731. SteveF Posted: October 19, 2018 at 09:33 PM (#5771462)
Leonard looks pretty healthy to me.
   732. Just TFTIO Posted: October 19, 2018 at 09:34 PM (#5771463)
Danny Green has a distressingly narrow head.
   733. jmurph Posted: October 19, 2018 at 09:35 PM (#5771464)
Leonard looks pretty healthy to me.

Kyrie and Hayward have had some moments, too. Good to see.
   734. Just TFTIO Posted: October 19, 2018 at 09:44 PM (#5771468)
For no good reason, I'm watching the Timberwolves. God, the Cavaliers are so, so, so bad.
   735. Booey Posted: October 19, 2018 at 09:51 PM (#5771472)
Kyrie and Hayward have had some moments, too. Good to see.

Who?
   736. jmurph Posted: October 19, 2018 at 09:54 PM (#5771473)
Pardon me, Heigh-wÜrd.
   737. jmurph Posted: October 19, 2018 at 10:01 PM (#5771476)
For no good reason, I'm watching the Timberwolves. God, the Cavaliers are so, so, so bad.

I mean they have 95 through 3 so either they're not that bad or the Wolves def-

Oh yes, right right.
   738. PJ Martinez Posted: October 19, 2018 at 10:01 PM (#5771477)
Yeah, Hoolfwahrd has looked much better than he did on opening night.
   739. jmurph Posted: October 19, 2018 at 10:23 PM (#5771489)
Someone double-check my numbers but I've got the Raptors at 108% from the floor in the second half.
   740. PJ Martinez Posted: October 19, 2018 at 10:24 PM (#5771490)
Hell of a closeout by the Raptors here.
   741. Just TFTIO Posted: October 19, 2018 at 10:29 PM (#5771494)
Yeah, I could get used to this sort of 4th quarter basketball in Toronto.
   742. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: October 19, 2018 at 10:40 PM (#5771502)
Just combing through box scores while watching the NLCS. Looks like that Davis-Mirotic combo is working out just fine, and Randle should clear some mantle space for that 6th Man Award he's going to win.
   743. jmurph Posted: October 19, 2018 at 10:45 PM (#5771513)
Holy ####, 149-129 in a regulation game? Wow.
   744. PJ Martinez Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:04 PM (#5771525)
To be a pedant for one second: the Green/Kawhi "double-block" looked cool, but really only Green got there in time -- if he missed it, and Kawhi still went for the block, it would have been goal-tending.
   745. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:08 PM (#5771531)
Holy ####, 149-129 in a regulation game? Wow.

I forget if scoring goes up or down throughout the season but... there have been a *lot* of points scored this season so far.
   746. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:12 PM (#5771534)
Jimmy Butler 10-12 from the field
Andrew Wiggins 8-21
Karl-Anthony Towns 4-10

Butler got an interesting mix of cheers and boos during pregame introductions but turned them into MVP chants by the end. Playing well and winning fixes a lot of things I guess.
   747. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:17 PM (#5771537)
I haven't seen either game, so maybe this post is worthless, but...

...I know KAT can't pass the ball to himself, but maybe Jimmy has a point about him?
   748. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:30 PM (#5771552)
I forget if scoring goes up or down throughout the season but... there have been a *lot* of points scored this season so far.
Memphis put up 131 points tonight. Memphis. I know Orlando doesn't play any defense at all, but... Memphis.

This era is all about pace and range. Everyone wants more of both.
   749. maccoach57 Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:34 PM (#5771557)
...I know KAT can't pass the ball to himself, but maybe Jimmy has a point about him

Reminds me a little of the Kobe/Bynum noise from 2008-12.
   750. maccoach57 Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:37 PM (#5771559)
NO: 149-129 is like a score from 1968.
Randle: Yes--this has not started off well for the Magic/Pelinka FO.
   751. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:47 PM (#5771577)
...I know KAT can't pass the ball to himself, but maybe Jimmy has a point about him?

I mean, if Danilo Gallinari can do it, Towns probably can.
   752. Harlond Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:51 PM (#5771580)
This Jazz team is really fun to watch. And 81 points at half against the Warriors is something.
   753. Booey Posted: October 19, 2018 at 11:54 PM (#5771586)
81 pts and 5 guys in double figures at halftime. Against the Warriors.

I'll take it.
   754. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: October 20, 2018 at 12:04 AM (#5771600)
81 pts and 5 guys in double figures at halftime. Against the Warriors.

The W's would have 72 after Curry hit a 3/4 court shot... but it was right after the buzzer.

Points, man, lots of points.
   755. tshipman Posted: October 20, 2018 at 12:43 AM (#5771628)
At what point does Jordan Bell's agent start talking about a grievance?

He's a second year guy and Kerr has him absolutely buried. He's better than Looney or Jones. I get that the Ws are trying to get a look at guys, but they're not really treating Bell very well.

Edit: should have pointed out that Bell is a RFA this offseason.
   756. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: October 20, 2018 at 01:05 AM (#5771633)
Double Conference Finals previews on the first Friday of the season is pretty nice.

Curry was fouled on that last layup but Utah got the no call. They really need to push for home court in the playoffs.
   757. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: October 20, 2018 at 01:08 AM (#5771634)
Jerebko. Ugh. Mitchell has to hold the ball longer on the preceding possession.
   758. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 20, 2018 at 01:09 AM (#5771636)
Ha! 4 All-Stars on the court, and Jonas Jerebko hits the game-winner!
   759. Booey Posted: October 20, 2018 at 01:18 AM (#5771637)
Damn it. So close.

I knew the Jazz should've kept Jerebko.
   760. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: October 20, 2018 at 01:23 AM (#5771638)
Mitchell still gets to excited to try hero ball.

And maybe I've been watching too much Big Mouth and thinking of hormone monsters, but freaking Jerebko getting a tip-in game winner there convinces me that luck monsters are real in sports and the Warriors have the best luck monster in NBA history.
   761. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: October 20, 2018 at 01:27 AM (#5771640)
And maybe I've been watching too much Big Mouth and thinking of hormone monsters, but freaking Jerebko getting a tip-in game winner there convinces me that luck monsters are real in sports and the Warriors have the best luck monster in NBA history.

Whaddya gonna do, baby?
   762. Booey Posted: October 20, 2018 at 01:29 AM (#5771642)
Through a totally representative 2 game sample size...

Jingling Joe Ingles - 24.5 ppg, 19/27 FG (.704), 11/17 3-pt (.647)

Gorwick Hammerstein - 12.0 ppg, 10/25 FG (.400), 2/6 3-pt (.333)

Boston picked the wrong Jazz free agent small forward last July.

Just sayin'... ;-)

763. PJ Martinez Posted: October 20, 2018 at 10:57 AM (#5771685)
If Hayward's playing that well when he's 31, I'll be happy. (I only just learned that Ingles is 31.)
   764. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: October 20, 2018 at 12:01 PM (#5771695)
with all of the smoke around durant leaving GSW next summer, i figure i'll repost something i said before free agency this year:
i'm gonna repeat what i would consider the absolute best case scenario for the NBA this offseason (that has <0.000000002% chance of actually happening):

durant signs with PHI.

that gives the sixers the veteran all-NBA go-to scorer they don't have yet; it kicks the BOS/PHI rivalry into overdrive; it would keep the conferences in balance, even if lebron goes west; it puts the west back in play because GSW won't be able to replace durant; it puts MIN/POR/OKC/DEN/LAL one move away from getting to the finals.

765. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: October 20, 2018 at 12:52 PM (#5771708)
At what point does Jordan Bell's agent start talking about a grievance?

He's a second year guy and Kerr has him absolutely buried. He's better than Looney or Jones. I get that the Ws are trying to get a look at guys, but they're not really treating Bell very well.

Edit: should have pointed out that Bell is a RFA this offseason.

If I'm reading this right, you're suggesting that Kerr is keeping Bell buried on the bench because he wants to re-sign him cheaply next offseason (knowing he might lose Draymond)?
   766. tshipman Posted: October 20, 2018 at 01:13 PM (#5771713)
If I'm reading this right, you're suggesting that Kerr is keeping Bell buried on the bench because he wants to re-sign him cheaply next offseason (knowing he might lose Draymond)?

I don't know why Kerr has Bell buried on the bench. But he doesn't have an injury, and he's an RFA, so playing guys worse than him while his ass stays glued to the bench is pretty shitty to do.
   767. Paul D(uda) Posted: October 20, 2018 at 01:50 PM (#5771721)
Kawhi is sitting tonight's game (2nd of back to back)
   768. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: October 20, 2018 at 08:36 PM (#5771797)
I really hate these Celtics black and green jerseys.
   769. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: October 20, 2018 at 09:48 PM (#5771838)
Kyrie just does not look right.
   770. SteveF Posted: October 20, 2018 at 09:50 PM (#5771841)
Kyrie has kinda sucked pretty badly through 3 games. Knicks fans may decide they don't want him after this game.
   771. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: October 20, 2018 at 09:58 PM (#5771855)
Why did Ben Simmons only play 8 minutes?
   772. SteveF Posted: October 20, 2018 at 10:01 PM (#5771857)
Why did Ben Simmons only play 8 minutes?

Back tightness.
   773. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: October 20, 2018 at 10:15 PM (#5771869)
Never forget that we're not allowed to have nice things.
   774. PJ Martinez Posted: October 20, 2018 at 11:39 PM (#5771935)
Jokic has 35/12/11 and hasn't missed from the field.

Doncic had 26 in the Mavericks' win, including 4-9 from three.
   775. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: October 20, 2018 at 11:54 PM (#5771948)
Houston leading the Lakers 66-62 at the half. The Rockets are 15-21 on free throws, Lakers 4-7. Can't win ballgames with that sort of differential. Paul and Harden are getting to the line at will, and the Lakers have committed some really silly fouls.

I love the energy the Lakers are showing, but the foul differential is going to decide things.
   776. tshipman Posted: October 21, 2018 at 12:15 AM (#5771963)
The LeLakers almost work.

I think they'd be a lot better with both KCP and Hart out there with LeBron. Rondo and Ingram kinda gum things up.
   777. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: October 21, 2018 at 12:26 AM (#5771966)
They just don't have enough shooting to do what they want to do. They are working hard as a group, and that's a lot of fun to watch, but they can't stretch their offense enough. Also, their switch defense is awful — the roll man is getting free almost every time down. Interior defense is non-existent when McGee's off the floor.
   778. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: October 21, 2018 at 12:32 AM (#5771968)
98-97 after three quarters. The Association is all about offense.
   779. maccoach57 Posted: October 21, 2018 at 12:50 AM (#5771972)
They just don't have enough shooting to do what they want to do. They are working hard as a group, and that's a lot of fun to watch, but they can't stretch their offense enough. Also, their switch defense is awful — the roll man is getting free almost every time down. Interior defense is non-existent when McGee's off the floor.

The LeLakers almost work.

I think they'd be a lot better with both KCP and Hart out there with LeBron. Rondo and Ingram kinda gum things up.

They are 15/59 on 3s so far. And ofc many people noted that they don't have even a smallball 5 behind McGee--which is what Randle would have been and often was last year and there were concerns about the D.

So to this point some of the possible negatives most observers saw are manifesting.
   780. tshipman Posted: October 21, 2018 at 12:58 AM (#5771973)
They are 15/59 on 3s so far. And ofc many people noted that they don't have even a smallball 5 behind McGee--which is what Randle would have been and often was last year and there were concerns about the D.

So to this point some of the possible negatives most observers saw are manifesting.

I mean, 15/59 isn't even close to their true talent. A lot of guys are just missing shots.

Lakers feel like they're like one Wayne Ellington or Kyle Korver away.
   781. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: October 21, 2018 at 01:01 AM (#5771974)
That's all on Chris Paul but Rondo can't throw a punch. I guess Ball will be starting for a while.
   782. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: October 21, 2018 at 01:01 AM (#5771975)
so....that happened.
   783. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: October 21, 2018 at 01:02 AM (#5771976)
Clowns and bastards, man, clowns and bastards. Rajon Rondo can go die in a fire.
   784. tshipman Posted: October 21, 2018 at 01:02 AM (#5771977)
So I see punches from Ingram, Chris Paul and Rondo. They all have to be out, and probably suspensions for all of them.

Paul and Rondo just need to have a dirty-off.
   785. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: October 21, 2018 at 01:02 AM (#5771978)
Also, very stupid from Ingram to jump into that.
   786. maccoach57 Posted: October 21, 2018 at 01:03 AM (#5771979)
I mean, 15/59 isn't even close to their true talent.

Sure.

Rajon Rondo can go die in a fire.

Heh.
   787. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: October 21, 2018 at 01:07 AM (#5771980)
Really, in our hearts, don't we all think there should be a few games a year where it's ok to punch Chris Paul, like the NBA version of The Purge? Maybe have a raffle so a couple of fans get a shot, too?
   788. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: October 21, 2018 at 01:07 AM (#5771981)
98-97 after three quarters. The Association is all about offense.
guys are just making shots.
   789. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: October 21, 2018 at 01:09 AM (#5771982)
Since it's appropriate to the situation, I just want to remind everyone that Rajon Rondo is, was, and will always be a dirty player. That he's on the Lakers is vomit-inducing. I hate that he's on Lakers. I HATE IT.
   790. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: October 21, 2018 at 01:10 AM (#5771983)
LeBron didn't even try to close out there.
   791. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: October 21, 2018 at 01:10 AM (#5771984)
JoelEmbiid
Had to pull out so we didn’t regret it later... Great win #TheProcess
   792. tshipman Posted: October 21, 2018 at 01:10 AM (#5771985)
Really, in our hearts, don't we all think there should be a few games a year where it's ok to punch Chris Paul, like the NBA version of The Purge? Maybe have a raffle so a couple of fans get a shot, too?

Let's throw in Rondo in that proposal.

Edit: and Lance, for that matter. coke to LAEHA
   793. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: October 21, 2018 at 01:11 AM (#5771986)
Let's throw in Rondo in that proposal.

I don't want to get too liberal lest Draymond's name comes up...
   794. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: October 21, 2018 at 01:13 AM (#5771987)
I guess that's game. Some good podcast fodder from this one. It's been a fun weekend so far. Raptors-Celtics was fun, Warriors-Jazz was a minor classic and our first real Meme Team game. And still one more day to go!
   795. maccoach57 Posted: October 21, 2018 at 01:22 AM (#5771991)
Lakers were 7/30 from the arc against Portland and 8/32 in this game.
   796. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: October 21, 2018 at 06:23 AM (#5771999)
I haven't rewatched it, so maybe my read is/was wrong, but the play that I thought was emblematic of the Lakers' current problems was the LeBron give and go in the first half. LeBron gave a little touch pass and then immediately cut to the basket for what, based on the last 8 years of watching LeBron my brain has programmed itself to assume, should have been an open layup. Instead, the Rockets defense had no need to bend at all when LeBron gave the ball up because they don't fear LAL's shooting and LeBron got the ball back and was just kind of stuck in the paint.
   797. PJ Martinez Posted: October 21, 2018 at 08:09 AM (#5772002)
I know people hate Rondo, and not entirely without reason, but unless I missed something Chris Paul shoved his finger in Rondo's face (as in, literally poked Rondo hard in the face) when they were, to that point, just talking. Rondo, Paul, and Ingram will probably all deservedly get suspensions, but of the three, just judging from the videotape, Rondo's actions looked the least egregious -- hard to have fingers jabbed in your face and not respond, particularly when emotions are presumably running high.

Also: Lance Stephenson, peacemaker.
   798. PJ Martinez Posted: October 21, 2018 at 10:09 AM (#5772012)
Follow-up: I missed the spitting accusation from the Rockets -- but I don't see anything like that on the tape.
   799. MHS Posted: October 21, 2018 at 10:33 AM (#5772024)
Running Celtics thoughts.

Kyrie is killing the Celtics. His defense, always hurts but his 3ball is just so off. He looked a little better driving vs the Knick’s, but that is damning in itself considering how poor he looked.

Brown’s struggles aren’t getting as much attention but he has also been poor. It’s not as obvious, because he is hitting his 3’s reasonably well. However, he isn’t moving the ball on offense well and his defense has been just horrendous. It is critical that he be there best wing defender. I get it’s Kawhi, and your not going to give as good as you get but you have to better than he did... and Tim Hardaway. Just terrible. Celtics need more from him.

Hopefully, Baynes isn’t too hurt. He has easily been one of their top players through 2.5 games. I wouldn’t expect that continue but he is a critical piece of there defense and depth. Also, he is probably the player, outside of Horford, they have the most trouble replicating his contribution based on the roster construction. The though of Yabu getting minutes terrifies me.

The offense in general isn’t playing with much flow, with any kind of consistency. I’ll write that off to it being October.

Tatum. Give the ball to Tatum. On every he starts getting a star whistle, he is going be tough to slow down. I was very encouraged the team defered to him to close out the Knick’s. To bad, they didn’t do that in game 7... yup I’m still sore about it.

800. jmurph Posted: October 21, 2018 at 10:54 AM (#5772031)
Flip
Page 8 of 28 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.