Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, October 05, 2018

OT - NBA Thread (2018-19 season kickoff edition)

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, none of whom knew the old thread would get closed, thus detracting from what this site is really about: the baseball playoffs, maybe?

Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: October 05, 2018 at 03:43 PM | 3709 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: basketball, nba, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 10 of 38 pages ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 12 >  Last ›
   901. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: October 23, 2018 at 01:21 AM (#5772833)
Ouch! Tough loss for the Lakers. James bricking both freethrows at the end was nasty.

Obviously not happy about being 0-3, but you can see the Lakers actually have the parts to be a good team again. Not everyone's going to shoot 15-28 from three against them every night.
   902. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: October 23, 2018 at 01:29 AM (#5772835)
Holy dogshit - LA's 142 points are the most for a LeBron team in his career.
   903. jmurph Posted: October 23, 2018 at 09:42 AM (#5772904)
The Wolves looked so much better once Wiggins went out last night. Okogie doesn't look like he can shoot, but he's at least active on defense and on the glass.
   904. maccoach57 Posted: October 23, 2018 at 09:50 AM (#5772916)
Lakers:
Team from arc: 29/101, .287
Opponents from arc: 44/107, .411

The team is 26th in DRTG and 9th in ORTG.

Hart: I mentioned at the time that Pelton's draft metrics liked him, and Pelton's track record with that is pretty good.

Spurs: Popovich is as always working with what he has and putting guys in position to succeed. 69 last night from Aldridge and DeRozan.
   905. jmurph Posted: October 23, 2018 at 09:59 AM (#5772919)
Spurs: Popovich is as always working with what he has and putting guys in position to succeed. 69 last night from Aldridge and DeRozan.

My not at all serious suggestion that he would just let DeRozan basically be the point guard is coming true!
   906. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: October 23, 2018 at 11:00 AM (#5772960)
No love in this segment--and by love I mean ambivalence--for Harrison Barnes?

He's way too good by this standard. Barnes has been an NBA starter virtually since Day One.

I watch a lot of ACC basketball, and am trying to think of some other hyped freshmen who did zilch in the NBA. Shavlik Randolph. Julius Hodge.
   907. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: October 23, 2018 at 11:01 AM (#5772961)
Just watched the Warriors-Suns game. Ayton is polished offensively but has a long way to go on defense. He's very slow to react and doesn't know where to position himself to really protect the rim. Damian Jones outplayed him when Jones was on the floor last night, but Jones has had a lot more NBA coaching and is surrounded by much better players (obviously). Ayton will be very good, though. Watched the Celtics-Magic last night and, as bullish as I am on Ayton, I'm as pessimistic about Mo Bamba who I can't imagine is ever going to be anything but tall. Jonathan Isaac looks great, though. He's a player.

Steph Curry remains awesome. 46% from 3, 60% from 2, 30 points a game. Ho hum, I guess. He destroyed the Suns last night.
   908. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: October 23, 2018 at 11:03 AM (#5772962)
My not at all serious suggestion that he would just let DeRozan basically be the point guard is coming true!

If your choice is DeRozan or Bryn Forbes...
   909. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: October 23, 2018 at 11:05 AM (#5772964)
Defense is why I had Ayton 3rd in my draft rankings (behind Doncic and JJJ).

If your choice is DeRozan or Bryn Forbes...

Yup

910. JC in DC Posted: October 23, 2018 at 11:36 AM (#5772978)
Josh Hart is just really good. I've gotten to follow him since he was in HS. Just a great young man, smart, and hard-working. He's a kid who had to work his way onto the recruiting map, had to carry a mediocre HS team in a super competitive area, but who got better and better every step of the way. It's not fair to Fultz that I compare him adversely to Hart. Fultz never did as much with his good team as Hart did with mediocre one, so I've always had a thing against Markelle that's a function of my respect for Hart. But Hart is definitely a keeper, and I do hope Fultz proves me wrong about him soon.
   911. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: October 23, 2018 at 11:42 AM (#5772980)
I watch a lot of ACC basketball, and am trying to think of some other hyped freshmen who did zilch in the NBA. Shavlik Randolph. Julius Hodge.

Jahlil Okafor. On the one hand, he's only been in the league 3 years. On the other hand, he's been the league's worst big man (among those with any significant playing time) over those 3 years. His teams have been outscored by 17 points per 100 possessions when he's on the court.
   912. aberg Posted: October 23, 2018 at 11:48 AM (#5772985)
The Wolves looked so much better once Wiggins went out last night. Okogie doesn't look like he can shoot, but he's at least active on defense and on the glass.

It was so funny. They played some important 4q minutes with a lineup of Jones-Butler-Okogie-Tolliver-Towns and it was clearly the best lineup they've played all year. Okogie isn't making NBA shots yet, but he has good form. He also plays his ass off and defends like crazy. I think he might be better than Wiggins right now. Last night really reinforced my unrealistic hope that they find a team to take Wiggins and pay Jimmy his money.
   913. jmurph Posted: October 23, 2018 at 11:52 AM (#5772988)
Last night really reinforced my unrealistic hope that they find a team to take Wiggins and pay Jimmy his money.

I think you're stuck with Wiggins but I've totally talked myself into Butler staying. He stays reasonably healthy, they make the playoffs again, and he's really going to turn down the giant 5 year contract?
   914. aberg Posted: October 23, 2018 at 11:58 AM (#5772994)
I think you're stuck with Wiggins but I've totally talked myself into Butler staying. He stays reasonably healthy, they make the playoffs again, and he's really going to turn down the giant 5 year contract?

It has to help if KAT maintains his newfound intensity and defensive effort. He still leaves his feet too much to hunt blocks, but he is at least involved in almost every play near the hoop.
   915. aberg Posted: October 23, 2018 at 12:00 PM (#5772997)
Who says no?

Add a top-20 protected first round pick going to Sacramento.
   916. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: October 23, 2018 at 12:03 PM (#5773003)
Signing Wiggins to that max contract a year before they had to is one of the dumbest decisions in NBA history. If they hadn't done that they could have carved out the room to extend Butler and then waited until this summer to see what Wiggins would have received in the market. Here's a hint--it would not have a been a max contract. So frustrating. It really takes me back to the bulk of my Warriors fandom and that's not a place I like to revisit!
   917. jmurph Posted: October 23, 2018 at 12:04 PM (#5773004)
Who says no?

Oh god. A sense of humanity? Decency?
   918. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: October 23, 2018 at 12:06 PM (#5773006)
One phone call to Sacramento gets rid of Wiggins, likely no sweetener needed. Make the call, Glen.
   919. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: October 23, 2018 at 12:07 PM (#5773008)
Coke to Berg. But this would totally work, right?
   920. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: October 23, 2018 at 12:13 PM (#5773017)
Minnesota says no.
   921. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: October 23, 2018 at 12:15 PM (#5773018)
I'm going to just whisper this, but the Kings aren't completely terrible. Joerger's preseason 4 big lineups seem to have just been a troll job. With the Kings and Suns kind of improved the West is just a bear of a conference. With teams like the Lakers I just keep thinking, "well, it's been a tough schedule" but that's just the schedule. It doesn't get easier!
   922. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: October 23, 2018 at 12:18 PM (#5773024)
Imma let you finish, but the Suns are still really, really bad.
   923. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: October 23, 2018 at 12:19 PM (#5773026)
Imma let you finish, but the Suns are still really, really bad.

See, I just think they're really bad. I will duel about this!
   924. spivey Posted: October 23, 2018 at 12:25 PM (#5773033)
Granted it was just one game, and a home game, and they shot the lights out... But Phoenix mopped the floor with Dallas.
   925. GordonShumway Posted: October 23, 2018 at 12:39 PM (#5773062)

Len Bias.

(Too soon?)
   926. maccoach57 Posted: October 23, 2018 at 01:10 PM (#5773114)
PHX and SAC: Everybody has some good games with an 82-game schedule. That noted, most teams are being run with some degree of competence right now and so most teams have at least a little bit of talent and hope. The worst situation in the NBA right now is Cleveland, but Phoenix and Sacramento are obviously going to be bad.

Lakers: With the Lakers at 0-3 and 26th in DRTG, I think it is worth remembering that James' team last year put up a 43-39 PYTH and was 29th in DRTG playing in the East.
   927. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: October 23, 2018 at 01:17 PM (#5773126)
Signing Wiggins to that max contract a year before they had to is one of the dumbest decisions in NBA history. If they hadn't done that they could have carved out the room to extend Butler and then waited until this summer to see what Wiggins would have received in the market. Here's a hint--it would not have a been a max contract. So frustrating. It really takes me back to the bulk of my Warriors fandom and that's not a place I like to revisit!

Maybe in retrospect, but at the time most observers--including here in this thread--supported it.

And I actually think that if he were a free agent this past summer, he'd have gotten a max or pretty damn close, from somebody. He's still easy to dream on, only 23 and a phenomenal athlete.

I'm not sure there's a team right now that wants him and has the proper bad-but-shorter contracts to send back to make salary match, though. I would certainly be trying, and I posted a month ago that Sacramento would be my first call. New York would be my second. And if necessary I'd be willing to give up a (somewhat protected) first to make it happen, if I were Minnesota.

I wrote at length last month that I think if Wiggins were out the way and there were suddenly a LOT more shots to go around, Butler and KAT would probably find they can tolerate each other a lot better. That could be wrong; KAT is still lazy on defense and that may genuinely drive Butler nuts. But I think all the problems there start with there not being enough shots to satisfy everyone, and spiral from there.
   928. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: October 23, 2018 at 01:26 PM (#5773137)
I will add that I really hate to see a young guy not running around balls to the walls out there, and not just aesthetically. The advantage old guys have over young guys is NBA experience; the advantage young guys have over old guys is that their knees and backs haven't yet been ruined by all the running and jumping on hard floors. To be under 25 and loafing around when you're not on the ball is to be wasting your natural advantage. It's one of the first and most important things I'd be looking for in scouting a young player (from college or Europe or whatever): does the ############ run around the court? Not just for what that might say about his work ethic, but also just because a young guy has energy an old guy doesn't, and should use it to maximum advantage.
   929. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: October 23, 2018 at 02:21 PM (#5773192)
Maybe in retrospect, but at the time most observers--including here in this thread--supported it.

Is this true?

--

Dunn out 4-6 weeks w/ a moderate mcl sprain, per the bulls twitter acct
   930. If on a winter's night a baserunner Posted: October 23, 2018 at 02:23 PM (#5773196)
I went back and looked up what I had to say, since I remember being pessimistic. I didn't come down hard at all (kind of wish I had, but that's easy to say now), but did say he has a "case of Jeff Green syndrome" and was unlikely to ever exceed the value of the contract. Subsequent events have not changed either view.
   931. jmurph Posted: October 23, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5773219)
I went back and looked up what I had to say, since I remember being pessimistic. I didn't come down hard at all (kind of wish I had, but that's easy to say now), but did say he has a "case of Jeff Green syndrome" and was unlikely to ever exceed the value of the contract. Subsequent events have not changed either view.

I did this a few weeks ago- no one was very enthusiastic, as I recall, it was like a "I guess you have to do it" kind of thing. With lots of mentions of the things he needs to get better at.
   932. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: October 23, 2018 at 02:50 PM (#5773228)
Right, the general consensus, here and everywhere else, was "weeeelllllll, he's not very good yet, but he's so young and athletic and there's no way Minnesota can ever get a talent of that caliber except at the tip-top of the draft, so I guess they have to roll the dice." So I don't think it's fair to describe that contract as one of the dumbest decisions in NBA history. Like drafting Bowie over Jordan, and Oden over Durant, it was obvious *at the time* to almost everyone that those were fantastically stupid decisions. It was obvious *at the time* to almost everyone that trading three unprotected firsts for almost-washed-up Pierce and Garnett was terrifically stupid. Almost no one, at the time, said maxing out Wiggins was stupid. Mostly the reaction was "well, I'm not super optimistic but I guess Minnesota had to do it."

I remember this so well because I was one of the very few who outright said, before the extension was signed, that doing so would be stupid and they ought to trade him instead. I'm not saying this just to pat myself on the back--I'm wrong on NBA opinions more often than anyone here. That's why, having been right about Wiggins, I remember it so well. It's a rare and intoxicating feeling for me. :)

For all that, I don't dislike Wiggins as a person or root against him. I WISH he'd figure out, in a flash of zen enlightenment, that basketball is a team sport and that you can help your team win by running without the ball. But he's not going to and I honestly wouldn't want my team to employ him at any price greater than about $5 million a year purely to score off the bench for 14 minutes a night.

-------------------

This is probably good point to repeat on the record that, similarly, I don't believe KAT will ever significantly improve on defense. As with Wiggins, the problem isn't lack of polish; the problem is that KAT does not care about defense, and especially not team defense. He'll never get better at it, not because he can't, but because he doesn't want to. He's not quite at his peak--which is 2000 Shaq's offense with 2009 Shaq's defense--but he's close, at this point.
   933. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 23, 2018 at 02:50 PM (#5773229)
I did this a few weeks ago- no one was very enthusiastic, as I recall, it was like a "I guess you have to do it" kind of thing. With lots of mentions of the things he needs to get better at.

Without looking I think I said that had to do it for the upside (he gets a bunch better) even though there was a big chance it was going to suck. In retrospect we all should have said "Wait and see if he progresses."
   934. It's TFTIO's Monster, Actually Posted: October 23, 2018 at 02:56 PM (#5773234)
What was the big hurry on Wiggins? I mean, that's the part that I don't fully understand.
   935. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: October 23, 2018 at 02:57 PM (#5773235)
I think it was just that the longer you wait, the higher the max price tag gets. (Plus I'm sure Wiggins and/or his agent was agitating for it.)
   936. Harlond Posted: October 23, 2018 at 03:01 PM (#5773240)
I don't know how hyped he was as a high school player, and we are talking about the 1970s when hype might not even have existed, but Rod Griffin was ACC POY in 1978 and runnerup (to Phil Ford) in 1979, was first team All-American, was drafted 17th by the Nuggets, and never played a minute in the NBA even though he was alive and available. Hard to beat that for doing zilch in the NBA despite widespread recognition of your talent.

A little depressing to note that I saw Rod Griffin play live, and he was an awesome college player.
   937. It's TFTIO's Monster, Actually Posted: October 23, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5773242)
Oh, I get why Wiggins wanted to hurry it up. I don't understand why Thibs did. The principle of parsimony would say pressure from Taylor, I guess.
   938. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: October 23, 2018 at 03:14 PM (#5773261)
Rajon Rondo publicly criticizing the character of one of LeBron's best friends is an interesting tactic.
   939. aberg Posted: October 23, 2018 at 03:19 PM (#5773266)
I think everyone agreed that it would have been practical to wait to extend Wiggins, but it's just not the sort of thing that's done with players of his (perceived) caliber. Real world front offices have to worry about keeping players healthy, maintaining relationships with agents, etc. Hard to pin down all the variables.
   940. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: October 23, 2018 at 03:27 PM (#5773273)
I think everyone agreed that it would have been practical to wait to extend Wiggins, but it's just not the sort of thing that's done with players of his (perceived) caliber. Real world front offices have to worry about keeping players healthy, maintaining relationships with agents, etc. Hard to pin down all the variables.

IIRC, the weirdest part of the whole thing was Glen Taylor giving an interview where he said something along the lines of "I looked Andrew in his eyes and he promised me he was going to be worth the money"
   941. aberg Posted: October 23, 2018 at 03:29 PM (#5773276)
IIRC, the weirdest part of the whole thing was Glen Taylor giving an interview where he said something along the lines of "I looked Andrew in his eyes and he promised me he was going to be worth the money"

That only seems weird if you operate under the assumption that Taylor knows #### about basketball.
   942. aberg Posted: October 23, 2018 at 03:33 PM (#5773280)
A basketball thing: Draymond has sucked so far this year. He's shooting 34% and only 1/7 on 3s in 4 games. Assists are way down and turnovers are way up. It's way to early to draw conclusions or to worry about it, but something to watch as the year goes on given how much he means to GS's unique dominance.
   943. jmurph Posted: October 23, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5773287)
A basketball thing: Draymond has sucked so far this year. He's shooting 34% and only 1/7 on 3s in 4 games. Assists are way down and turnovers are way up. It's way to early to draw conclusions or to worry about it, but something to watch as the year goes on given how much he means to GS's unique dominance.

I just looked at this last night. But there's also this to consider: +2, +3, +4, +18. Net rating of +13.0, despite them being 12.4 points worse on offense when he plays! So I think I'd go with A. it's early, but B. he still makes the entire thing work on defense.
   944. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 23, 2018 at 03:48 PM (#5773297)
The Suns give up baskets in ways I didn’t know were possible.
   945. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: October 23, 2018 at 03:48 PM (#5773298)
I think there's plenty of grounds to speculate that at this point Golden State regards October through March as preseason. That's why I liked their under this year, they'll win ~55 just by showing up and they have no reason to be real concerned about going balls-out to win 65.
   946. jmurph Posted: October 23, 2018 at 04:03 PM (#5773315)
Seems like everything is going pretty well in Cleveland:
Joe Vardon @joevardon
Over the weekend, Cavs told Korver, JR, and Frye the organization was going young. After bad loss and 0-3 start, Lue is ready to reverse course and Kevin Love says vets who 'know how to win' have to play

Didn't they just sign Frye? I'm so confused.
   947. It's TFTIO's Monster, Actually Posted: October 23, 2018 at 04:11 PM (#5773331)
I would be dangling a shiny, barely used Andrew Wiggins in front of whichever inmate is running the Cavaliers' asylum, were I Thiblor.
   948. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: October 23, 2018 at 04:22 PM (#5773343)
I honestly wonder if the Cavs would bite on a straight-up reversal of the original Love-Wiggins trade. I guess we can't get Anthony Bennett involved at this point, but still!

Granting Love would probably make them even worse on defense, but at least he'd add some rebounding and wouldn't kill them chucking long contested jumpers nearly as much as Wiggins does.
   949. aberg Posted: October 23, 2018 at 04:40 PM (#5773369)
I honestly wonder if the Cavs would bite on a straight-up reversal of the original Love-Wiggins trade. I guess we can't get Anthony Bennett involved at this point, but still!

There was also a draft pick that went from CLE to PHI, who sent Thad Young to MIN. That pick became Luwawu-Cabarrot, who I'm sure Philly would include for the low low price of taking Jerryd Bayless.
   950. It's TFTIO's Monster, Actually Posted: October 23, 2018 at 04:44 PM (#5773373)
I mean, putting Love next to Towns would be a sight to see.
   951. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: October 23, 2018 at 06:11 PM (#5773443)
Actually the Cavs would be a great destination for Wiggins, to the extent that if I were the Cavs I'd be excited about such a deal (with or without Love involved). Acquiring Wiggins seems like their best chance of being a contender over the next five years (very small in all scenarios). Tell Wiggins to do his best LeBron impression and see what happens. What do you have to lose?
   952. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: October 23, 2018 at 06:32 PM (#5773450)
I mean, Wiggins' destiny is to lead the league in shots every year on a bad team. Cleveland seems as good a place as any for him to realize it.
   953. aberg Posted: October 23, 2018 at 06:48 PM (#5773459)
A trade with Cleveland would probably have to take back 2020 salary, which would mean going into the tax in year one of Jimmy's new deal. Probably worth it, but again, Taylor doesn't know #### about basketball.
   954. It's TFTIO's Monster, Actually Posted: October 23, 2018 at 08:41 PM (#5773539)
It delights me more than I can say that the Pelicans play in "Smoothie King Arena".
   955. Crosseyed and Painless Posted: October 23, 2018 at 09:11 PM (#5773582)
Embiid embarrassing Drummond tonight. Drummond playing like more of a clown than usual. Wasting a 28 point first half by Blake Griffin.
   956. PJ Martinez Posted: October 23, 2018 at 09:35 PM (#5773617)
Embiid just flopped to get Drummond ejected. That was embarrassing for someone, but I don't think it was Drummond.

Then Griffin scored over Embiid to tie the game with 34.6 seconds to go. Griffin has 44.

Edit: overtime.
   957. Booey Posted: October 23, 2018 at 09:50 PM (#5773634)
It delights me more than I can say that the Pelicans play in "Smoothie King Arena".

Yeah, I remember thinking a few years back that the Jazz's Vivint Smart Home Arena had to be the worst named home court in the league, but then I watched them play the Pelicans in something called the "Smoothie King Center". New Orleans reign at the top of my personal "leaderboard" didn't last long though, as shortly after I found out that the Suns play somewhere called the "Talking Stick Resort Arena."

Looking through all the arena names league wide, it's kinda discouraging to see how many bad ones there are (Quicken Loans Arena? Bankers Life Fieldhouse? BMO Harris Bradley Center?). But no one is displacing Phoenix atop the list any time soon.

The best?

1) Madison Square Garden (Knicks). By far.
2) United Center (Bulls)
3) Oracle Arena (Warriors)
4) Target Center (Wolves)
5) Staples Center (Lakers/Clippers)

I know some of these like the Target Center and Staples Center are just named after boring businesses too, but at least they don't sound clunky and awkward.

Edit: Still annoyed that Utah couldn't keep the Delta Center. That would have ranked #2 on my list, and not just cuz of nostalgia. It's just got a sleek, streamlined sound to it. The Blazers old Rose Garden would have been pretty high too. Ditto with Boston Garden. TD Garden just doesn't have the same ring to it.
   958. PJ Martinez Posted: October 23, 2018 at 10:02 PM (#5773647)
Blake gets 50. Pistons win.
   959. Crosseyed and Painless Posted: October 23, 2018 at 10:03 PM (#5773650)
Embiid embarrassing Drummond tonight. Drummond playing like more of a clown than usual. Wasting a 28 point first half by Blake Griffin.

Feels sort of silly to waste my Reverse Jinx of the Decade on a regular season game, but it's been a lot of lean years as a Pistons fan.
   960. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: October 23, 2018 at 10:11 PM (#5773659)
Feels sort of silly to waste my Reverse Jinx of the Decade on a regular season game, but it's been a lot of lean years as a Pistons fan.

and all it took was a career night from blake griffin in a game where the sixers' best player wasn't in the lineup.
   961. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: October 23, 2018 at 10:11 PM (#5773660)
Is it too late to list Blake as the MVP? 109 points and 34 rebounds in his first three games this season.
   962. Crosseyed and Painless Posted: October 23, 2018 at 10:14 PM (#5773662)
and all it took was a career night from blake griffin in a game where the sixers' best player wasn't in the lineup.

Again, it's the Pistons. I take what I can get.
   963. PJ Martinez Posted: October 23, 2018 at 10:18 PM (#5773667)
The 3-0 Pistons, you mean, who are looking down on the Celtics and the Sixers in the standings.
   964. Ken Griffey's Grotesquely Swollen Jaw Posted: October 23, 2018 at 10:21 PM (#5773671)
re 957, the BMO Harris Bradley Center is dead (at least for the purpose of Bucks basketball). Long live the Fiserv Forum, which isn't really any better but is at least easier to say.
   965. tshipman Posted: October 23, 2018 at 10:29 PM (#5773689)
Smoothie King Center had very good food (top 4 arena food in the league), was a Centermark arena when I visited. Good bartenders--didn't use mixes, made a traditional gimlet, which is rare.

The worst ####### entry from the freeway in the league. You seriously cannot find the damn place.

966. puck Posted: October 23, 2018 at 10:56 PM (#5773717)
Nuggets are winning again, but appear on pace to allow 100.
   967. puck Posted: October 23, 2018 at 11:15 PM (#5773754)
They did allow 100. But won.
   968. Booey Posted: October 23, 2018 at 11:35 PM (#5773801)
The worst ####### entry from the freeway in the league. You seriously cannot find the damn place.

I spent a couple days in Sacramento this summer and was amazed by how deep in the middle of nowhere the now abandoned Arco/Sleep Train Arena was. THAT was one of the rowdiest arenas in the league a decade or so ago?!

The new Golden 1 Center downtown is in a much more practical location.
   969. Thok Posted: October 24, 2018 at 08:32 AM (#5773874)

He went to St. John's rather than the ACC, but one of the poster child's for doing nothing in the NBA despite massive hype entering college is Felipe Lopez.
   970. JL72 Posted: October 24, 2018 at 08:34 AM (#5773875)
The 3-0 Pistons, you mean, who are looking down on the Celtics and the Sixers in the standings.

Piston fans would like to end the season now and go straight to the playoffs. Imagine the excitement of the playoffs with all those fresh legs running around.
   971. spivey Posted: October 24, 2018 at 08:55 AM (#5773885)
Blake looked really, really good last night. Not just the points, but very efficient, and a bunch of good plays and passes initiating the offense as well. As well as some off the dribble 3s. A good reminder what a handful he is offensively when he's healthy.
   972. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: October 24, 2018 at 09:03 AM (#5773891)
I only watched the OT last night but it was a fun one. Redick and Griffin trading blows particularly. Years from now we're all going to scratching our heads how that Clippers team never even made a conference final.
   973. jmurph Posted: October 24, 2018 at 09:30 AM (#5773912)
I'd love to see Griffin stay healthy all year and return to being an all star caliber player, that would be a lot of fun.
   974. CFBF Rides The Zombie Ice Dragon Posted: October 24, 2018 at 09:59 AM (#5773927)
The KFC Yum! Center still has to be the worst arena name, right? I mean, I know Louisville isn't technically in the NBA, but that name is so bad it still manages to be the worst in the NBA.
   975. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: October 24, 2018 at 10:21 AM (#5773945)
tship, did you ever post any summary of your rankings? I'd be curious...
   976. It's TFTIO's Monster, Actually Posted: October 24, 2018 at 10:34 AM (#5773960)
The wife and I are going to see the Barneys and the Twolves tonight. I don't quite know who to root for.
   977. spivey Posted: October 24, 2018 at 10:37 AM (#5773968)
The wife and I are going to see the Barneys and the Twolves tonight. I don't quite know who to root for.

You deserve to be happy, so you should root for the Raptors.

I know we've said this a couple of years now... but the Raptors really are different this year. I don't think they'll fold in the playoffs. Though it would be nice if they could get something out of Ibaka/their bigs when the playoffs start.
   978. It's TFTIO's Monster, Actually Posted: October 24, 2018 at 10:42 AM (#5773975)
I know we've said this a couple of years now... but the Raptors really are different this year. I don't think they'll fold in the playoffs. Though it would be nice if they could get something out of Ibaka/their bigs when the playoffs start.

It's too early to say, but early returns on Danny Green have exceeded expectations (and Kawhi is looking pretty goddamned good).
   979. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 24, 2018 at 10:48 AM (#5773980)

The home team. It is more fun to go along with the crowd, cheer with them and suffer with them. There is an upside to going against the home crowd, but usually when you really love the other team and especially when the visitor wins.
   980. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: October 24, 2018 at 11:13 AM (#5774009)
I spent a couple days in Sacramento this summer and was amazed by how deep in the middle of nowhere the now abandoned Arco/Sleep Train Arena was. THAT was one of the rowdiest arenas in the league a decade or so ago?!

Some solid street names getting into Sleep Train Arena: West Entrance Road, Sports Parkway and Box Office Drive.
   981. It's TFTIO's Monster, Actually Posted: October 24, 2018 at 11:39 AM (#5774040)
The home team. It is more fun to go along with the crowd, cheer with them and suffer with them. There is an upside to going against the home crowd, but usually when you really love the other team and especially when the visitor wins.

Keep an eye open; we're in the lower bowl behind one of the baskets. I'll be the guy with the beautiful wife and his head in his hands.
   982. aberg Posted: October 24, 2018 at 11:49 AM (#5774048)
I always thought Sleep Train Arena was the worst name. It had the combination of the clumsy sponsor name AND the cross-purpose implication (come see the Kings aboard the Sleep Train!)
   983. jmurph Posted: October 24, 2018 at 12:07 PM (#5774067)
The Blazers old Rose Garden would have been pretty high too. Ditto with Boston Garden. TD Garden just doesn't have the same ring to it.

They just cheat with Boston and refer to it as The Garden, it's easier that way. I was unaware the Blazers didn't play in the Rose Garden anymore, that's disappointing.

My general stance is that in-arena basketball experiences are uniformly pretty terrible. Way too much piped in nonsense and nonstop music and commands from the scoreboard and PA announcer. And yes I am an old, why do you ask?

I think my best live experience was a playoff game in Key Arena for Sonics-Spurs in 2002. Sonics won, the crowd was in a frenzy the entire time.
   984. Fourth True Outcome Posted: October 24, 2018 at 12:13 PM (#5774071)
I was unaware the Blazers didn't play in the Rose Garden anymore, that's disappointing.

The Blazers in fact do still play in the Rose Garden, they just finally (disappointingly) sold the naming rights to Moda a couple years ago.
   985. jmurph Posted: October 24, 2018 at 12:20 PM (#5774079)
Ahh okay, so we can just ignore that, then!
   986. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: October 24, 2018 at 12:36 PM (#5774093)
981: I'm going to ignore any presumably unintended username/comment synergy.
982: Second on Sleep Train.

Kings: I'm not sure what to make of them, because I don't know how they're going to use their talent (it's mostly a pretty young team with a lot of recent first round picks on the roster). They are loaded with currently-okay bigs. How should they use Bagley? Giles? WCS? Skal (he doesn't play right now)? Bjelica is probably the most likely one in the bunch to lead to wins today and was just signed to a contract but - he's 30. Why would you block lottery guys with him? (Frankly, Koufos might be up there as well, but he's clearly and rightly buried. Randolph is still useful too, but they understand that he's a hundred years old.)
I don't believe in their wings and guards - who's the best one? Fox looks improved and is young, but was kinda bad last year. I have a soft spot for Mason, but he's a backup and was also bad last year. Bogdan? C'mon, no. Iman? Heh. Ferrell's been good, but he's a 6' off-guard with a low ceiling. Justin Jackson was an overdraft. Oh - Hield! They could feature him and make him a 20 point guy - he can legit fill it up from the outside - but is below average at everything else (driving, defense, playmaking), apart from defensive rebounding. He's a classic late 80s 6th man, which is something, but not a star.
Like with the bigs, it's a lot of bodies - which seems to be how Joerger looks at it. Fox (31.8) is the only dude playing over 27.5 mpg and they've got ten in the rotation (~15mpg or more). Speaking of Joerger, I don't view him as an above median NBA coach and their front office is bad.
They're shooting 41% from three... in four games on a below average number of attempts. Looking at who's hitting them, it seems a little fluky. They're not a great rebounding team (Bagley will help as his minutes ramp up). They're not good defensively. They don't move the ball that well. They don't go to the line often.

I don't believe in the Kings.
   987. aberg Posted: October 24, 2018 at 12:38 PM (#5774096)
The best thing the Kings have going for them is when Bagley and Mason share the court as a pair of "IIIs."
   988. jmurph Posted: October 24, 2018 at 12:50 PM (#5774114)
I think the Kings are in a decent position to trade for a disgruntled star, because they have a lot of decent/promising players that could use more playing time elsewhere. But the two main problems I see are a. the stars around the league seem mostly pretty gruntled right now, non-Butler division, and B. so you flip some guys for Kevin Love. Terrific. Now what? Is Hield/Love/Bagley something to build on? Probably not?
   989. It's TFTIO's Monster, Actually Posted: October 24, 2018 at 12:57 PM (#5774126)
Minnesota has a shiny, athletic, basketball player-like person in Wiggins I’m sure could help.
   990. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 24, 2018 at 01:17 PM (#5774147)
Minnesota has a shiny, athletic, basketball player-like person in Wiggins I’m sure could help.

And he is Canadian, so will be gruntled or disgruntled, whichever you prefer!
   991. It's TFTIO's Monster, Actually Posted: October 24, 2018 at 01:27 PM (#5774160)
I can dream, no? -19 wins!
   992. jmurph Posted: October 24, 2018 at 01:36 PM (#5774172)
I know people have deadlines to meet and content to post, but I'm not really here for dissections of Deandre Ayton's terrible defense as a 20 year old center through 3 NBA games.
   993. smileyy Posted: October 24, 2018 at 01:50 PM (#5774186)
dissections of Deandre Ayton's terrible defense as a 20 year old center through 3 NBA games

I sense a tagline for future threads!
   994. If on a winter's night a baserunner Posted: October 24, 2018 at 01:50 PM (#5774188)
they just finally (disappointingly) sold the naming rights to Moda
And for something like 3-5 million. Even at the time, that's not even a mid level exception contract!
   995. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: October 24, 2018 at 02:11 PM (#5774204)

The New Orleans airport is the same way. It's closer to commercial and residential neighborhoods than most airports, which makes it hell when you are trying to return a rental car.
   996. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: October 24, 2018 at 02:16 PM (#5774207)
The best thing the Kings have going for them is when Bagley and Mason share the court as a pair of "IIIs."

Fun fact: Harry Giles and Ben McLemore, also IIIs.
   997. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: October 24, 2018 at 02:32 PM (#5774220)
It is a good tagline.

IIIs are the new market inefficiency?
   998. jmurph Posted: October 24, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5774222)
This Darius Miles thing is good.
   999. If on a winter's night a baserunner Posted: October 24, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5774223)
Not sure there's a package that makes sense for both sides here, but they really should trade for Terry Rozier III, too.

Edit: Actually, there has already been another two threes when Robert Williams III and Terry Rozier III share the court in Celtics bench lineups. Bring back Perry Jones!
   1000. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: October 24, 2018 at 02:36 PM (#5774227)
I liked the Miles bit as well (this is a flip)
Page 10 of 38 pages ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 12 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
HowardMegdal
for his generous support.