Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

OT - NBA thread (Playoffs through off-season)

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, and this one only cares about the NBA thread and the Cubs so I have no idea what the rest of the website cares about.

Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: April 16, 2019 at 02:18 PM | 6210 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: basketball, nba, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 63 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
   301. puck Posted: April 24, 2019 at 12:16 AM (#5834753)
The Nuggets could put the series away with a win Thursday, and all the town will be talking about are the Broncos and the NFL draft.
   302. rr: target market for blowhard nonsense Posted: April 24, 2019 at 12:43 AM (#5834757)
HBO is bringing the Showtime Lakers to the scripted arena with “Showtime,” Variety has confirmed.

The series, which has received a pilot order at the cabler, hails from Adam McKay, who will direct. “Showtime” will be based on Jeff Pearlman’s non-fiction book “Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s.”

“Jeff Pearlman’s book and Max Borenstein’s script of the story of the Showtime Lakers really knocked me over. Sexism, racism, tragedy, redemption, no look passes and a giant cultural shift in America… I can’t wait to start filming,” said McKay.
   303. Moeball Posted: April 24, 2019 at 01:01 AM (#5834759)
I watched some of the Toronto game today but listening to their announcers was painful. Not only did they shout excitedly for every Toronto score as if it was the winning buzzer beater of game 7 of the finals, they actually said that the Eastern playoffs are the brutally difficult games whereas the Western playoffs are a cruise, which is so laughably stupid I don't even know what to say. If I was a Toronto fan I'd be embarrassed.
   304. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 24, 2019 at 01:03 AM (#5834760)
Wow!!! Lillard nails a 35-footer, Portland wins the series!
   305. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 24, 2019 at 01:04 AM (#5834761)
   306. Booey Posted: April 24, 2019 at 01:10 AM (#5834763)
Lillard's Curry-esque game winner gave him 50 on the night, too.

Russ picked the wrong guy to trash talk.
   307. jmurph Posted: April 24, 2019 at 01:20 AM (#5834764)
That’s just an absolutely ridiculous shot. Unreal.
   308. If on a winter's night a baserunner Posted: April 24, 2019 at 01:24 AM (#5834765)
I can't quite pinpoint the moment when Dame just straight up broke my frame of reference; but it happened with Lillard by the logo, time dribbling away as the clock ticks below 7 seconds, then 5, then 4, and still no move. My god, the onions on that guy.
   309. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: April 24, 2019 at 01:40 AM (#5834767)
"What's Dame doing?? Is he breaking the play???

"Oh, this *is* the play."
   310. If on a winter's night a baserunner Posted: April 24, 2019 at 02:21 AM (#5834768)
Blazers' Enes Kanter after advancing to second round: "First, I would definitely like to thank the Knicks for waiving me."
   311. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: April 24, 2019 at 07:48 AM (#5834780)
That was cold, Dame. That was so, so cold. All Russ and Playoff P saw was

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
..........................'...../
..........''............. _.·´
..........................(
   312. Crosseyed and Painless Posted: April 24, 2019 at 09:19 AM (#5834793)
It stinks, for me personally, that the exciting things all feel like they happen well past my bedtime.

Hopefully there aren't too many 10:30 starts for Rockets/Warriors.
   313. JC in DC Posted: April 24, 2019 at 09:22 AM (#5834794)
To your point, 312, I really wish I could watch more Lillard. I just don't see enough of that guy, and he seems not only great, but like a legitimately interesting person.
   314. spivey Posted: April 24, 2019 at 10:44 AM (#5834812)
Lillard has always been a guy who has had his ups and downs in the playoffs, and he wasn't super efficient in the regular season until the last few years, they got swept last year, he's struggled with defense. I've always kind of viewed him as a great shooter, but not necessarily a great player.

I think that take is wrong now, even assuming it was ever right. I can't stay up late for the end of these west coast games, but Lillard was hitting some absurd shots in the first half.

I'm rooting for the Spurs of course, but I think Denver/Portland would be a pretty fun series and give us 4 great semi-conference finals.
   315. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 24, 2019 at 11:00 AM (#5834820)
(This is not about the shot last night. It’s broader.)

Dame Lillard, Steph Curry and Trae Young are the three guys I see who have no qualms pulling up and shooting a 30-foot shot. I’m sure there are others, but those are the three who most stand out to me, in the “Shit, I don’t care how far away I am, if you don’t guard me I’m gonna shoot this.”

I’ve come to view that as more of a Game Theory thing (kinda akin to the lefty slugger who occasionally drops a bunt down the third base line to keep the defense from shifting too aggressively.) That is: the value isn’t just in the accuracy of the shot itself, but in the added benefit of it forcing defenders to guard you close even when you’re 35 feet from the hoop. That’s HARD to defend, and makes it easier for these fast point guards to dribble past them and get into the lane.

So like. Even shots that are (shall we say) “negative EV” in the immediate-term can be “positive EV” in the long term.

Does this make any sense to anyone who’s not me?
   316. Ken Griffey's Grotesquely Swollen Jaw Posted: April 24, 2019 at 11:06 AM (#5834823)
Yeah, the Bucks talk about this as something they look for. They call them "4-point shooters"-- Jon Horst talks about it a little here in the context of Brook Lopez and Mirotic. The first people I can remember doing this besides Steph and Dame are the Rockets from a few years ago, mainly Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson.
   317. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: April 24, 2019 at 11:21 AM (#5834827)
It makes sense and is true but also: Lillard shot 39% from 30-40 feet this year.
   318. jmurph Posted: April 24, 2019 at 11:38 AM (#5834828)
I'm pretty sympathetic to George here!
Thunder's Paul George on defending deep game-winner by Blazers' Damian Lillard: "That's a bad shot. I don't care what anybody says. That's a bad shot. But, hey, he made it. That story won't be told, that it's a bad shot. You live with that."

EDIT: Also sympathetic to the fact that people aren't really interested in that kind of comment from the guy who lost.
   319. Ken Griffey's Grotesquely Swollen Jaw Posted: April 24, 2019 at 11:43 AM (#5834829)
Here's the list of attempts and percentages between 30 and 40 feet. Steph, Dame and Trae do indeed take more than anyone else, and hit at a pretty good percentage.
   320. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: April 24, 2019 at 11:45 AM (#5834830)
Second round is gonna be fantastic.

Yep
   321. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: April 24, 2019 at 11:46 AM (#5834831)
It makes sense and is true but also: Lillard shot 39% from 30-40 feet this year.

Chris Herring @Herring_NBA 10h10 hours ago

Damian Lillard shot *10-of-18* from 30 feet and beyond during the series against Oklahoma City, including 4-of-6 in the series-ending Game 5.
   322. TFTIO is building his own mealworm farm Posted: April 24, 2019 at 11:49 AM (#5834832)
Yep

So awesome.
   323. spivey Posted: April 24, 2019 at 11:49 AM (#5834833)
I'm sympathetic to George too. That wasn't bad defense, and it was way more contested than almost all of Lillard's 30-40 foot shots will be.

But that shot didn't lose them the series. They lost the series 4-1. George may have been hurt, but he put up like 28/8/3.6 on a 58% TS% for the series. Those numbers are good, good enough to win.

But Westbrook shot 36%, they were not able to punish Portland playing Kanter, and Ferguson and the non-Schroder bench guys gave them nothing.

I used to like Westbrook, but his efficiency used to be way better. The downside of his career, if that's what we're seeing, it could be ugly. And his attitude seems like he's blaming everyone but himself.
   324. Ken Griffey's Grotesquely Swollen Jaw Posted: April 24, 2019 at 11:50 AM (#5834834)
I was sort of surprised that Brook only had six such shots beyond 30 so I adjusted the thresholds down. The NBA line is at 23'9" above the break so I think you get a significant spacing advantage even in the 28ish-foot range. The cut-off seems to be between 27 and 28 feet-- the attempts go down basically by half in that one foot of difference
   325. jmurph Posted: April 24, 2019 at 11:52 AM (#5834836)
Agree with all that, spivey. What I know of Westbrook as a human makes me think he's unusually normal for a rich, elite athlete, but on the court Westbrook is pretty hard to like.
   326. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: April 24, 2019 at 12:03 PM (#5834838)
[320] Literally LOL.

I agree with pretty much all of the last 10 posts here (including George's comment).
   327. spivey Posted: April 24, 2019 at 01:39 PM (#5834875)
2. Russ can't finish in the playoffs. There's this misconception that Westbrook is this nuclear finisher, like LeBron or Giannis. He's not. For the last three years he's averaged about 52% within 3 feet of the rim in the playoffs. Compare that to the regular season where he's consistently at about 60%. Further, he has a harder time getting to the rim in the playoffs. His percentage of opportunities at the rim decline in the playoffs and the midrange shots from 3-16 feet go up. That's Russell's worst area of the court, and he consistently kills his team from that range.

Russ' stats in the regular season are pretty nuclear, and his best couple of years in terms of both getting to the rim and finishing at the rim were the last two years. He was at 65% FG% from 0-3 ft this year, and 61% last year, which is elite. Which leads me to think he can be very effective without a shot, if he seriously cuts down the non-rim attempts. The playoffs are tricky because more contact is allowed, but we're also talking small margins/samples. I think Russ' reputation as an elite finisher at the rim is still warranted.

Sometimes the sample sizes are so small they can cause you to read tea leaves. Lillard generally underperformed on shooting in the playoffs until this year. Now one 5-game series where he went crazy and his career playoff numbers are in line with what you expect.
   328. Too Much Coffee Man Posted: April 24, 2019 at 01:41 PM (#5834876)
The Paul George quote was truly mystifying. First, it sounds like something out the Thunder's analytics department.
Secondly, as an elite athlete, do you really just "live with" being eliminated because you didn't agree with the shot selection?
   329. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 24, 2019 at 01:48 PM (#5834880)
328- I think you have to, right?

The Raptors lost a regular season game a month ago when some scrub blindly flung up a half-court shot at the buzzer and banked it in. I didn’t read quotes from any Raptor players afterwards, but I imagine they were all variants of “What can you say? We defended it well but the guy hit a crazy lucky shot.”

I think part of being an elite athlete is understanding how much of a factor luck and variance are.
   330. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: April 24, 2019 at 01:52 PM (#5834883)
Yeah, this happens every day in baseball. The pitcher throws exactly the right pitch and the hitter should not be swinging at it but he somehow hits a home run.
   331. Fourth True Outcome Posted: April 24, 2019 at 02:05 PM (#5834894)
PG obviously has to live with it, and frankly contested that shot pretty well, all things considered. But I don't think you can call a 37-footer from Lillard a bad shot. Both in that series and in his career he has hit those at good enough clip that it's a pretty good shot for him. George doesn't have to like it, but the quote is pure sour grapes, and not necessarily even correct. (And that's not even considering the fact that he's absolutely going to get dunked on in the media/on twitter for it.) This isn't a scrub hitting a halfcourt shot, or even a hitter crushing the right pitch, this is one of the league's best shooters hitting exactly the shot he wanted.
   332. JC in DC Posted: April 24, 2019 at 02:31 PM (#5834909)
I'm not interested in mincing PG's words, but it's pretty easy to understand. Guy pulls up from just over half-court, you take your chances. The only alternative really would have been to try and get him to give up the ball by running a second player at him, and that brings about his own risks. The problem really is why is a team with that expensive talent showing up pretty small in the playoffs? That's the thing they need to address, not PG's defense on the 37ft shot.
   333. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: April 24, 2019 at 03:09 PM (#5834919)
I think the George quote was both correct and sour grapes. But all the best sports moments come from improbable events occurring, which is typically going to come from a bad decision.

And look at the picture from right before he releases it: Wob. George's defense was really good there. Lilliard just made the craziest buzzer beater I've ever seen in the NBA.
   334. Moeball Posted: April 24, 2019 at 03:09 PM (#5834920)
Just announced on the news: KD is putting his Malibu beach house on the market for $13M. Why do this now? As if the twitterverse isn't already going crazy with speculation that he's heading East after the season...
   335. aberg Posted: April 24, 2019 at 03:22 PM (#5834928)
Just announced on the news: KD is putting his Malibu beach house on the market for $13M. Why do this now? As if the twitterverse isn't already going crazy with speculation that he's heading East after the season...

To be fair, Malibu is 400 miles from Oakland, about the same distance as Boston to DC.
   336. If on a winter's night a baserunner Posted: April 24, 2019 at 03:24 PM (#5834930)
If I were rich enough to buy a Malibu beach house for kicks, I would definitely want to do so right as summer was starting to kick in in California; that is, now.
   337. JJ1986 Posted: April 24, 2019 at 03:25 PM (#5834931)
I didn't stay up to watch the whole game last night and every headline was about the shot, so I didn't realize how badly the Thunder blew the game. They were up 15 in the fourth, 8 with 3:15 to go, and the rest of the game included PG missing two of two FTs and each of he and Russ turning the ball over once while they scored 2 points.
   338. aberg Posted: April 24, 2019 at 03:28 PM (#5834932)
Wasn't it 108-90 at one point? I think I turned it off at that point and tuned back in based on a series of frantic texts from an OKC fan friend.
   339. . . . . . . Posted: April 24, 2019 at 03:39 PM (#5834943)
I work for some older guys who do a lot of work in OKC. They follow sports in that 60 year old guy way of paying attention, but not close attention. Anyways, some stuff in OKC needed attention this AM and they start talking about how if they hop down tonight they can catch the playoff game from [John]’s floor seats,
And I’m like “hey, guys?”
And then it builds. Maybe they can ask [Jane] if they can borrow her private, so they can skip the connection and make it down in plenty of time for the game
And I’m like, “hey, guys!??”
And now they’ve got a head of steam, so they’re talking about how they’ll grab dinner at this good steak joint near the arena before the game and maybe they’ll meet some of the Thunder players afterwards
And finally I am like “GUYS SERIOUSLY HAVE NONE OF YOU SEEN”
And I pull up the clip on my screen.
And it was almost as beautiful as watching it for the first time, all over again. The looks on their faces.
   340. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: April 24, 2019 at 04:42 PM (#5834991)
I love Westbrook, he's such a dynamo, and to still be so explosive after his knee surgeries is remarkable. The year they made the Finals, I thought his 15-foot pullup jumper was OKC's most upstoppable play.

But everything said here is correct. All of his shooting numbers this year were ugly. His future is fascinating.

On the George quote, he's correct, but saying "low-percentage" rather than "bad" would have made it sound better.
   341. shout-out to 57i66135; that shit's working now Posted: April 24, 2019 at 07:34 PM (#5835040)
And finally I am like “GUYS SERIOUSLY HAVE NONE OF YOU SEEN”
And I pull up the clip on my screen.
And it was almost as beautiful as watching it for the first time, all over again. The looks on their faces.
i thought i was ready for FULL [ redacted ].

i am so ####### ready for FULL [ redacted ].
   342. Crosseyed and Painless Posted: April 24, 2019 at 09:10 PM (#5835071)
I was starting to wonder What's Wrong With Houston then they blew up to end the half.
   343. spivey Posted: April 24, 2019 at 09:50 PM (#5835089)
I love that Utah has not rolled over when down 3-0.
   344. spivey Posted: April 24, 2019 at 09:57 PM (#5835090)
Rubio you beautiful bastard.
   345. spivey Posted: April 24, 2019 at 09:59 PM (#5835092)
Marv Albert seriously needs to ####### hang them up. "Whistle blows"... silence.
   346. spivey Posted: April 24, 2019 at 10:00 PM (#5835093)
I ####### love Joe Ingles. He's so underrated just because he looks like some sort of caveman.
   347. tshipman Posted: April 24, 2019 at 10:10 PM (#5835102)
Russ' stats in the regular season are pretty nuclear, and his best couple of years in terms of both getting to the rim and finishing at the rim were the last two years. He was at 65% FG% from 0-3 ft this year, and 61% last year, which is elite. Which leads me to think he can be very effective without a shot, if he seriously cuts down the non-rim attempts. The playoffs are tricky because more contact is allowed, but we're also talking small margins/samples. I think Russ' reputation as an elite finisher at the rim is still warranted.

Sometimes the sample sizes are so small they can cause you to read tea leaves. Lillard generally underperformed on shooting in the playoffs until this year. Now one 5-game series where he went crazy and his career playoff numbers are in line with what you expect.

There are reasonable differences in interpretation, but I think of guys who finish at a 70%+ rate around the rim as the nuclear finishers--LeBron, Giannis, Durant, Wade. Westbrook is a very good finisher, maybe a great finisher for a guard, but only in the regular season.

Sample sizes are small, but Russ has been worse as a finisher in the playoffs for his whole career. It's not a recent thing. It's a real hamper to winning with him because you go from getting great efficiency with him as the ball handler in the PnR to him being average or below average. That's a huge problem when you build your offense around it.

Again, the real issue is that Russ is so *predictable* in the PnR. He so rarely dots up shooters, particularly on the weak side, that coverage is a lot easier.
   348. spivey Posted: April 24, 2019 at 10:11 PM (#5835105)
Gobert isn't playing like an all-NBA player right now. I want some nasty.
   349. spivey Posted: April 24, 2019 at 10:17 PM (#5835114)
IT'S PRONOUNCED CROWDA! CROWDA! I'LL KILL YOU, I'LL KILL ALL OF YOU, ESPECIALLY THOSE OF YOU ON THE JURY
   350. spivey Posted: April 24, 2019 at 10:18 PM (#5835116)
Rubio is really good when he makes all his shots. Edit: Well, that comment didn't age well.
   351. spivey Posted: April 24, 2019 at 10:20 PM (#5835119)
Donovan Mitchell is playing like absolute #### and is costing his team the game. I don't want to hear nobody else can create shots, because almost everyone else is playing pretty well.
   352. Ken Griffey's Grotesquely Swollen Jaw Posted: April 24, 2019 at 10:24 PM (#5835123)
Oof, that Rubio airball was painful. Mitchell 0-9 from 3 tonight.
   353. Ken Griffey's Grotesquely Swollen Jaw Posted: April 24, 2019 at 10:28 PM (#5835124)
Last 1:09 of the game for the Jazz, down 94-93
airballed wide open 3
turnover
turnover
missed 3
missed 3
missed layup

Sorry Booey, that was rough to watch.

edit: not to mention the inexplicable fouls between each of those plays.
   354. Booey Posted: April 24, 2019 at 10:31 PM (#5835125)
Well, that's that. It's almost unbelievable how bad the Jazz were at 3's - especially wide open 3's - this entire series. I think they figured out how to play the Rockets defensively the last 3 games, so if they could've hit even an AVERAGE number of 3's - hell, even a below average but not horrendous percentage of open 3's - they'd be up 3-2 with game 6 coming in Utah rather than losing in 5. It's just mind boggling.
   355. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: April 24, 2019 at 10:40 PM (#5835131)
Mitchell was unbelievably bad this series and even worse tonight. Eric Gordon did play good defense all series, but that doesn't come close to excusing how poorly Mitchell shot or how stupidly he played. Hopefully he can improve a lot this offseason and the Jazz can find another shot creator and more shooting, otherwise hard to see them getting past the Rockets or even a Durant-less Warriors anytime soon.

I thought Rudy's defense was great again, but on offense and rebounding he played way too soft. Some of the stuff he complained about to refs were probably fouls, but he's got to learn they're not going to be called and play more physical himself. I've still been annoyed by national people who either aren't watching or are just idiots act like Harden has played Gobert off the court. The Jazz' problem is entirely offense. Give Rudy a share of the blame there, but the bigger issues by far were Donovan and almost nobody making open jumpers.

Ricky played really well the last couple games despite his shooting at least, and Royce, after game one, played excellent defense all series and even played well on offense today.
   356. Booey Posted: April 24, 2019 at 10:59 PM (#5835137)
Better shooters would be nice, sure, but this series all they really needed was their current roster of average and below average shooters to hit at their usual rate rather than 10% below it. Their BEST game from deep was the 31% in Game 5. They averaged something like 26% for the series. Even 30% gets them 2 more wins.

They held Harden to something like 8 or 9 pts below his season average on sub-40% shooting and couldn't take advantage. Just maddening.

Sigh...whatever. Go Portland, I guess.
   357. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: April 24, 2019 at 11:14 PM (#5835140)
Yeah, they also shot flukily awful all series. But they also need another guy or two who can get off threes quickly (i.e. not Sefolosha) and ideally moving around curls. I also thought Niang showed quite a bit this series, but they really need someone that's an upgrade on Crowder and I'm not nearly that bullish on him.

I'll be rooting most for Portland now, too. But almost any outcome but Boston or Golden State winning will make me happy.
   358. Booey Posted: April 24, 2019 at 11:19 PM (#5835141)
I'd personally throw Houston into the "anybody but them" pile as well. Their style (k, mainly Harden and to a lesser degree Paul) is just painful to watch.

OKC would have been in that group too. Luckily, Dame had my back...
   359. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: April 24, 2019 at 11:21 PM (#5835142)
I don't like Houston either, but losing to them is even less painful if they beat the Warriors and win it all. Harden also doesn't seem as floppy or foul-seeking as he used to be, so I don't hate watching him as much as I used to. I hate Chris Paul far more since he's such a whiny #######.
   360. Tin Angel Posted: April 24, 2019 at 11:50 PM (#5835148)
What if the Warriors win, Durant decides he's proven enough, and signs with Utah?
   361. Booey Posted: April 24, 2019 at 11:52 PM (#5835149)
#360 - Yeeeaaahhh. I'm sure we're near the top of his list...
   362. Best Dressed Chicken in Town Posted: April 25, 2019 at 12:44 AM (#5835152)
Harden also doesn't seem as floppy or foul-seeking as he used to be

I guess you missed that play In the final minute when he threw himself into a stationary defender in the backcourt and fell to the ground, drawing a "foul."

Harden is a piece of #### and should be fined 50 billion dollars, if not thrown out of the league.
   363. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: April 25, 2019 at 01:01 AM (#5835154)
Clips-Dubs is some ####### FUN.
   364. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: April 25, 2019 at 01:02 AM (#5835155)
Fire is on Lou Williams.
   365. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: April 25, 2019 at 01:08 AM (#5835156)
Twice in Doc’s career, he’s done a tremendous coaching job with a team that was clearing space for big-name FAs. Meaning, much of his rosters weren’t going to be around next year. (Although the Clips’ situation appears better than the 1999-2000 Magic, which ended up trading away Ben Wallace for a gimpy-ass Grant Hill.)
   366. Tin Angel Posted: April 25, 2019 at 01:15 AM (#5835157)
The refs were ####### awful in that Warriors/Clippers game. I guess we’ll see what happens next Monday or whatever.
   367. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: April 25, 2019 at 01:25 AM (#5835158)

It seems like Lillard has an extremely high Q rating. Does anyone who isn't actively cheering against him in a series dislike him?

Throw Lou Williams on this list too, I'd say. What an absolutely fun basketball player to watch.
   368. SteveF Posted: April 25, 2019 at 01:26 AM (#5835159)
The last time Golden State lost more than 1 game in a playoff series before the WCF was 2015 to Memphis (Conference Semis, GS won 4-2)
   369. rr: target market for blowhard nonsense Posted: April 25, 2019 at 02:02 AM (#5835163)
Harden is a piece of #### and should be fined 50 billion dollars, if not thrown out of the league

The refs were ####### awful in that Warriors/Clippers game. I guess we’ll see what happens next Monday or whatever.

Playoff time.

370. rr: target market for blowhard nonsense Posted: April 25, 2019 at 02:05 AM (#5835164)
I mentioned GS's DRTG being down, and they have now lost twice, giving up a shitload of points each time. But I think back to the 2008 Boston team, and how they huffed and puffed in the early rounds and still won. Also:

1. The Clippers are a pretty good team for an 8 seed.
2. Lou Williams just goes off sometimes, no matter who, where, when.
   371. spivey Posted: April 25, 2019 at 07:57 AM (#5835170)
I have a lot of respect for this Clippers team what they've done not just this series, but all year.
   372. spivey Posted: April 25, 2019 at 08:13 AM (#5835171)
Also, it's crazy there's a good chance that the Warriors/Clippers series could be the last one to end.

Also, round 2 matchups are starting to get set. Bucks/Boston Sunday at noon! Let's go! And Toronto/Philly starts Saturday.
   373. aberg Posted: April 25, 2019 at 12:59 PM (#5835285)
GS Pythag wins the last 4 years have been 65, 67, 56, 56. They stayed steady from last year to this year despite getting 28 more combined games from KD and Steph. To my eyes, the biggest change has been that Draymond is not as good as he was the last few years. He can still muck up entire defensive possessions by himself, but he does it less often. More importantly, his superpower of being the offensive outlet when teams crowd or trap Steph or KD has eroded. He still gets assists, but his turnover rate is up significantly, he's taking and making fewer threes, and he is getting to the line half as often as he did a couple years ago. Although he was never their best player, he was part of what made them so weird and unique, and I'm not sure that's true anymore.
   374. jmurph Posted: April 25, 2019 at 01:57 PM (#5835310)
Ben Falk @bencfalk
538 is predicting a 78% chance for the Bucks and a 79% chance for the Raptors.

Betting markets seems to have it around 71% for Bucks and 67% for Raptors.

Those seem high to me but then again I'm not a gambler and barely understand how betting odds work.
   375. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: April 25, 2019 at 02:14 PM (#5835318)
It seems like Lillard has an extremely high Q rating. Does anyone who isn't actively cheering against him in a series dislike him?

Gotta be some people who disliked him because their college is a big rival of, uh, Weber State. Or maybe not.
   376. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: April 25, 2019 at 05:24 PM (#5835446)
Shams Charania @ShamsCharania 57s57 seconds ago

The Chicago Bulls have requested the NBA to have Omer Asik's contract removed from team salary via career-ending injury/illness, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. It would free up $3M in space for the summer. Asik was waived by the Bulls in October.

Gotta be able to overpay Rose by as much as possible.

This is appearently a real thing that some people around here want. Leaving aside the off court stuff - which is plenty reason in and of itself anyone to not want him - there's literally no way a return will be a good thing. He's not the same player, and there's no way it won't go sour really fast. Also, the Bulls should have learned from the Wade and Parker signings they shouldn't try and sign the old/bad/injured guys just because they happened to be born here.

I'd take Pat Beverly though.
   377. TFTIO is building his own mealworm farm Posted: April 25, 2019 at 08:30 PM (#5835496)
Gotta be able to overpay Rose by as much as possible.

Gonna have to fight with the Wolves for that particular privilege.
   378. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: April 25, 2019 at 11:27 PM (#5835527)
RIP John Havlicek at 79.
   379. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: April 25, 2019 at 11:48 PM (#5835530)
If you told me after Dejounte Murray tore his ACL that the Spurs would reach a game 7, I would have laughed in your face.
   380. Moeball Posted: April 26, 2019 at 02:27 AM (#5835543)
As a life long Lakers fan, the last few years have been painful to watch. I realize, of course, that I'm not getting any sympathy from anyone given all the championships I've seen them win. That being said, as a Lakers fan, I usually root against the Celtics in any game they're playing. But I do have to admit 2 things:
1) I am saddened to hear of the passing of Hondo. For those of you too young to have seen Havlicek play, he was the original marathon man. He was known for having killer 4th quarters to put games away, still going at full speed when defenders were simply worn out trying to keep up with him. He truly had exceptional stamina.
2) I'm a firm believer in Brad Stevens' ability to get the most from his players. I, for one, will not be surprised if Boston takes down the Bucks. I hope I'm wrong about this, but I think it could happen.
   381. rr: target market for blowhard nonsense Posted: April 26, 2019 at 02:46 AM (#5835544)
Havlicek: He was a little before my time but a key figure in the pre-merger NBA.
Lakers fandom: Yep.
Stevens: Not sure how much is Stevens, but I have been saying all year that Boston will be a tough out for Milwaukee. We are about to see if I was wrong.
   382. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: April 26, 2019 at 07:48 AM (#5835556)
As a 76ers fan from the beginning, it was easy to hate the Celts but Havlicek and others wore me down. I couldn’t not appreciate the talent and grit etc. of him and Russell, the Joneses, Cowens, White, hell, even freakin’ M L Carr.
   383. Too Much Coffee Man Posted: April 26, 2019 at 09:31 AM (#5835574)
If you have followed the NBA for the last 2+ decades, and if you've even casually followed the Nuggets this season, last night's game was completely expected. Spurs made two key adjustments - they conceded the three (which DEN couldn't hit), and they created a lot of pressure on the rim early (by EVERYONE!) which really opened up the mid-range jumpers for Aldridge and Derozan.
If you've followed the Nuggets somewhat more than casually this year, you know that they play a lot harder when they have to than when they are supposed to.
Expecting a close and exciting game Saturday night. In fact, if the Nuggets follow script, they'll fall behind early, stay close, get the lead up to 12 or so with a few minutes to go, and then need (and get) a stop on the last play of the game.
   384. puck Posted: April 26, 2019 at 10:38 AM (#5835598)
Is that knee spearing thing Poetl does pretty common?

Game 6 was not a surprise to me (very casual Nuggets fan) and while the home game 7 will really help, it's scary for it to get to a game 7. The team has responded well all year to challenges and seems really to buy in to the team concept. So I expect some jitters and bad stretches. I hope they win.
   385. Too Much Coffee Man Posted: April 26, 2019 at 01:03 PM (#5835647)
<rec>

I had the same question about Poetl. I don't think of the Spurs as a dirty team, but he's done that at least twice and maybe three times in the series. Aldridge really appeared to ball his fist and hit Gary Harris in the strike zone in G1 or G2 while running a screen, and last night he put a forearm to Murray's face on a screen.
(Murray later took an elbow to the face that clearly looked accidental.)
   386. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 26, 2019 at 01:15 PM (#5835651)
Since this is all about me:

My wife is recovering from a C-section this weekend, which means....yes. I’m gonna miss the Nuggets’ biggest game of the year!!! Why couldn’t they have just won last night?!?!?
   387. Too Much Coffee Man Posted: April 26, 2019 at 01:33 PM (#5835661)
LA's homerun pitch: LA G2
Poetl knee:

Screen
   388. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: April 26, 2019 at 01:47 PM (#5835673)
As someone who hasn't followed the Nuggets that closely this year, but enjoys and is rooting for them, I have absolutely no confidence in them handling their business. The flipside to that, of course, is learning to never doubt Pops magic.

I don't think of the Spurs as a dirty team

They retired Bruce Bowen's jersey.
   389. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: April 26, 2019 at 01:58 PM (#5835678)
congrats on missing the nugs. get some sleep while you can, davo.
   390. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 26, 2019 at 02:40 PM (#5835696)
Congrats to you and your family on missing the Nugs, Davo.
   391. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: April 26, 2019 at 02:50 PM (#5835699)
Congrats Davo!
   392. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: April 26, 2019 at 03:14 PM (#5835709)
Davo, do you have pets? You could conveniently need to walk the dog or feed the fish at gametime, if you catch my drift.

Congrats.

393. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: April 26, 2019 at 05:48 PM (#5835736)
Congratulations, Davo.
   394. If on a winter's night a baserunner Posted: April 26, 2019 at 07:51 PM (#5835755)
   395. Fourth True Outcome Posted: April 26, 2019 at 08:42 PM (#5835772)
"He's such a nice guy," Fieri said. "It's more than just a player — it's the character, the energy, the person he is. He's phenomenal. So, yeah. You tell me what I can do. Tell me how I need to flex my food muscles, and I'll make it happen."
   396. Fourth True Outcome Posted: April 26, 2019 at 09:16 PM (#5835777)
Also congrats, Davo!
   397. Oriole Tragic don't want me here no more Posted: April 26, 2019 at 10:10 PM (#5835808)
Just heard while listening to Michael Lewis' podcast episode on NBA refs that the Rockets did a study finding that the Utah Jazz benefit the most from ref home-cooking. (Not exactly an impartial source, sure.) The whole episode is really interesting and mostly revolves around the the NBA Replay Center.

Anyway, I thought Booey would comforted to hear that NBA refs join in solidarity with his Jazzistanning. :D
   398. Tin Angel Posted: April 26, 2019 at 10:58 PM (#5835817)
I know most of you guys don't agree, but I still think Durant is pretty good.
   399. SteveF Posted: April 26, 2019 at 11:35 PM (#5835820)
I know most of you guys don't agree, but I still think Durant is pretty good.

I think people are (rightly, imo) down on his defense. Mo Williams went at Durant in game 5 -- sought him out for switches -- and torched him, though I guess Mo Williams has torched a lot of guys.
   400. Fourth True Outcome Posted: April 26, 2019 at 11:44 PM (#5835821)
Mo Williams isn't torching anyone these days, at least not professionally.
Page 4 of 63 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick
for his generous support.