Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

OT - NBA thread (Playoffs through off-season)

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, and this one only cares about the NBA thread and the Cubs so I have no idea what the rest of the website cares about.

Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: April 16, 2019 at 02:18 PM | 6742 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: basketball, nba, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 39 of 68 pages ‹ First  < 37 38 39 40 41 >  Last ›
   3801. it's hittin' 53450n. Posted: June 16, 2019 at 01:46 AM (#5852449)
I also disagree with Stiggles... The core of Jrue, Ball, Ingram and Zion doesn't have enough shooting. I think that's like the 18th best offense. It also doesn't have any rim protection. Very few rookies are actual playoff rotation material no matter how good their long term prognosis, and by next year Jrue will be in his last year.

Instead of shoving in my chips for Vucevic, I'm biding my time one more year and picking up assets more aligned with Zion's prime.

biding time for what? half of anthony davis's prime is gonna come in a laker jersey.

signing vucevic won't make NOP a title contender, but it will give them an additional asset they can use to get the guy who might.
   3802. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: June 16, 2019 at 01:51 AM (#5852450)
Now I *so* want Kawhi to sign with the Clips. God, that would be fun.
   3803. it's hittin' 53450n. Posted: June 16, 2019 at 01:59 AM (#5852451)
I am in if you and Stiggles can work it out. I think two mid firsts and a late first is close enough to what I was looking for.
Stiggles, I'd like to keep Iwundu. Can I interest you in a Melvin Frazier instead (1 more year of team control at that)? I am happy to absorb Simmons' 1MM.
the sixers need to build out their rotation, and iwundu is more likely than frazier to play 20+ MPG next year. personally, i rated them just about equally when they were drafted, but iwundu's NBA experience is key for the position the sixers would be in if this trade goes down (and that's doubly true if jimmy butler bolts for LAL)
   3804. rr: target market for blowhard nonsense Posted: June 16, 2019 at 02:03 AM (#5852452)
Celtics/Nets 2.0: And if we believe the reports, Boston's best player is about to go to Brooklyn. And, yes the pick swaps are darn nice to have. But so is Anthony Davis.

The NBA is in some ways quite predictable, once you know who the star players are and where they are. But where they will come from and where they will go and how that will play out over time...much harder to predict,except when the #1 guy in a draft is a guy like Davis or James. Antetokounmpo was picked 15th by a cold-weather small-market team that had been off-radar for most of three decades. Leonard was also drafted 15th, exchanged in a draft day deal that drew little major attention, developed unexpectedly into one of the best players in the game, and then had a blow-up with a team that is fellated endlessly for its "culture" and has now won another title, getting his second finals MVP, taking out another dynasty, all after getting traded to a team that few expected to make a play for him. Golden State built a dynasty around two guys picked 7th in their drafts, another guy picked 35th, and with a coach who had never been a HC at any level when they hired him.

So, trying to anticipate the variables in the Davis deal, given all the moving parts in place, is, well, fun maybe, but that is about it. To me the bottom lines we can see now are:

1. No one else has two guys as good as James and Davis, and Golden State has, for now, lost Durant and Thompson.
2. But James will be 35 years old in December. And the Lakers literally have no roster behind James, Davis and Kuzma.
3. But Davis is 26, unlike all the guys whom the Nets acquired. The Lakers could conceivably be in contention for several years because of this deal.
4. If Williamson is a Top-10 player franchise cornerstone, then NO could build a long-term contender around him and what they got in this deal. That could conceivably happen during and in part because of a long downturn for the Lakers.
5.Ball, Ingram, Hart and the picks/swaps may not end up meaning that much. Or one or two of them could help NO create a long-term contender.
6. For next year, we know that the Lakers, with some decent moves in FA, have a real chance to be a legit contender for another title, and that NO will be at worst a League Pass fave with a lot of interesting young guys.
   3805. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: June 16, 2019 at 02:51 AM (#5852453)
And the Lakers literally have no roster behind James, Davis and Kuzma.
Now comes the real test for Pelinka: finding his stars a suitable supporting cast.
   3806. spivey Posted: June 16, 2019 at 03:04 AM (#5852454)
I like the deal for the Pelicans. Need improvements from Ball and Ingram, of course.
   3807. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 16, 2019 at 08:29 AM (#5852464)
Given their leverage, it is a great deal for the Pelicans. For the Lakers it is a very high risk, high reward move which makes sense for them as well.

Wolves aside, as I said before I remain happy with the Butler Trade (both actually). Great player, but I think he will be more trouble and money than he is worth going forward (From a wolves perspective, I can see why many teams in win now would be more than willing to sign him).

For the record Miami is open for business, but looking at what they have - overpaid players as far as the eye can see - what I would do as GM is just draft long term best player available and wait while the salary crap clears out over the next couple. But if anything I have attracts anyone I am more than willing to part with it for anything younger or draft assets. No bad contracts past 2020 though, escape from (not into) salary cap hell is the plan.
   3808. Fridas Boss Posted: June 16, 2019 at 09:12 AM (#5852468)
If someone wants Charlotte, I'm happy to take the Celtics in this draft since no one else has stepped up to save steve :-)
   3809. it's hittin' 53450n. Posted: June 16, 2019 at 09:20 AM (#5852469)
Leonard was also drafted 15th, exchanged in a draft day deal that drew little major attention
that's not entirely true...
1160. shout-out to 57i66135; that ####'s working now Posted: June 24, 2011 at 12:45 AM (#3861007)
at this point, i'm really hoping we find a way to pull kawhi leonard. i know we already have turner and young and iguodala (for now, and probably for a while still, considering the complete lack of testicles current management has), but i think the guy's gonna be a great defender, and iguodala's eventually gonna be gone, so they might as well make it happen.
1165. shout-out to 57i66135; that ####'s working now Posted: June 24, 2011 at 12:56 AM (#3861020)
there's no chance kawhi makes it past indiana, is there?

he's so close i can almost taste him.

3810. NJ in NY (Now with Big Girl!) Posted: June 16, 2019 at 09:57 AM (#5852471)
In the interest of moving things along...

3. RJ Barrett, F, Duke

We are not trying to rock the boat here. I get the sense my co-GM likes RJ more than I do, but there’s no one down bird I love. I’m going to hope that the fact that RJ was considered the best prospect in the class a year ago means something as well as the playmaking potential he showed at Duke.
   3811. Willard Baseball Posted: June 16, 2019 at 11:05 AM (#5852474)
Who wants some Mike Conley??

Looking for draft picks or second-chance guys or young guys that are projects (Mo Bamba, etc).
   3812. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: June 16, 2019 at 11:18 AM (#5852482)
Edit: and was posted above by a Celtics fan.

Irrelevant.

This really could be the Celtics-Nets trade v2.0.

Sure that's in the realm of possibilities. AD is a FA, but also a better return than the Nets got. The swaps absolutely raise the risk of disaster, but I still suspect both teams end up happy.
   3813. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: June 16, 2019 at 11:22 AM (#5852483)
Agree Moses.

I’d do the same, NJ. Ugh, this draft is a bummer up top (after the very top).
   3814. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: June 16, 2019 at 11:27 AM (#5852484)
In a vacuum it's unlikely New Orleans will ever be happy with the trade; it's unlikely everything they got back will add up to more value than Anthony Davis provides by himself. I also think the value of the swap rights is easily overblown--they're lottery tickets that are ultimately unlikely to be worth anything. Even if Zion works out, New Orleans is not likely to be significantly better than the Lakers in the early 2020s.

But stipulating that:

1) New Orleans will get nowhere near the title next season even with Davis,

2) Davis is definitely gone after next season, and probably would provide something less than 100% engagement during it, and

3) Davis has also made it publicly known that he will re-sign with no one but the Lakers, severely limiting how much any other team is willing to trade for one year of his services and only one,

Stipulating all of that, New Orleans did very well for themselves with this deal. Certainly far better than I expected them to.
   3815. PJ Martinez Posted: June 16, 2019 at 11:29 AM (#5852485)
Apparently the draft-pick haul is slightly different from what this Celtics fan posted earlier. Amended:
No. 4 pick in 2019
Pelicans get 2021 pick if it’s top 8 — otherwise they get unprotected 2022 pick.
Unprotected pick swap in 2023
Unprotected first rounder in 2024 that Pelicans can defer to 2025.
I still like the deal for both teams. The question, in my mind, is not whether the Lakers should have given up this much, but whether they *had* to give up this much, because I do think, with James on board, they pretty much had to trade for AD, who is young and incredible and wants to be there.* And we won't know the answer to that question without additional reporting (and perhaps we won't even then).

* The counter-argument to this, of course, is that they should have just waited for Davis to hit free agency. But they already lost one LeBron season, I don't think they can punt another one or risk Davis going somewhere else and liking it enough to stay, aka pulling a Paul George.

Also:
The Anthony Davis trade will be completed July 6, per @wojespn. Lakers cap room will depend upon whether Anthony Davis takes his $4.1M trade bonus. If so, they’d have up to $23.7M. If not, they’d have up to $27.7M (enough for a 25% max).
   3816. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: June 16, 2019 at 11:33 AM (#5852486)
* The counter-argument to this, of course, is that they should have just waited for Davis to hit free agency. But they already lost one LeBron season, I don't think they can punt another one or risk Davis going somewhere else and liking it enough to stay.

Yeah, definitely. The Lakers desperately wanting Davis NOW, as opposed to a year from now, was a big factor here. It made "if you don't give us what we want we'll just keep him" a credible threat from New Orleans' side. I doubt they'd have gotten as much if Davis had been willing to go Jimmy Butler on them.
   3817. sardonic Posted: June 16, 2019 at 12:02 PM (#5852494)
I think the flattening of the lottery odds make the swaps more valuable, not less. The Pellies had one year of 33 wins and ended up with Zion.

With LeBron aging and just one superstar, that's not inconceivable,especially in the back few years.

Another superstar would really change those odds, but for now I agree with those who say that because you never know what's going to happen, that gives the swaps meaningful value. You basically punt the opportunity to Tim Duncan, and also give the Pellies freedom to Boston, get good and still improve their pick.
   3818. rr: target market for blowhard nonsense Posted: June 16, 2019 at 12:08 PM (#5852495)
Irrelevant.

Only saw this because I hadn't logged in yet. Having Moses on ignore has mostly upgraded my already generally solid exp. here. I expect that he would enjoy himself more if he did the same with me, but that is ofc not my call.

But I will note that
a) I was mostly kidding around sans emoji. If I actually had any issues with the Boston guys, I would either tell them or put them on ignore. They all seem like good guys, and they all contribute a lot to the conversation.
b) Given the intense by-play between the fanbases during and after the Davis negotiations, although we mostly skipped that here (shipman actually goes at Boston/Ainge more than I do, for the most part) and the implications thereof, it was not, in fact, entirely irrelevant, although certainly not a big deal.
   3819. rr: target market for blowhard nonsense Posted: June 16, 2019 at 12:11 PM (#5852496)
wanting Davis NOW

Yeah. Like I said, I think a lot of that is how old James is, as well ofc as whether Davis would change his mind.
   3820. tshipman Posted: June 16, 2019 at 12:12 PM (#5852497)
I think the flattening of the lottery odds make the swaps more valuable, not less. The Pellies had one year of 33 wins and ended up with Zion.

Pellies have a franchise-long history of mediocrity, briefly interrupted by Chris Paul.

This is why you don't sweat the swaps. The Pelicans are going to #### it up anyways, and in six years when they've wasted Zion's start to his career and he wants out, they'll be in exactly the same place.
   3821. JJ1986 Posted: June 16, 2019 at 12:28 PM (#5852499)
The Pacers are very interested in Mike Conley if you are interested in a deal that's mostly this year's draft pick and not having to take back bad salary. We would also be willing to make a larger deal to include Kyle Anderson if you consider him a bad contract.
   3822. rr: target market for blowhard nonsense Posted: June 16, 2019 at 12:46 PM (#5852502)
Couple of quick thoughts before I go visit my Dad:

1. I was talking to a Lakers fan pal who HATES D'Angelo Russell. Older guy, older than me, thinks Russell is an overrated punk, etc. Says Russell reminds him of Nick Van Exel. I mentioned this guy once before. Most Lakers fans like them some DLo though. In any case, I was telling this guy that I think Russell would be a pretty good fit if Irving goes to Brooklyn, and I Googled Russell after the deal yesterday, and all the trending hits were "he's gone if Irving signs with the Nets." So I think Russell makes some sense as a third banana option for this team now. Have no idea if there is any chance it happens.
2. I may be dead wrong, but I think Pelinka believes/hopes/knows he has a line on another big-name guy, presumably Walker or Butler, who communicated through James that he would take the $ haircut to come here if they landed Davis. This is just spec, nothing to back it up. But while Pelinka may end up being a lousy GM, one would think that as a former agent, he would be a good negotiator, and the picks/swaps at the back end seem excessive. We will know soon enough.
   3823. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: June 16, 2019 at 01:11 PM (#5852504)
Sardonic, do you need Frank Jackson in a world where you have Lonzo and are getting a million draft picks this year? Stiggles, would he fit the bill for you as a major league experienced player? I really just have Iwundu in this major league experience warm body category, am ending up with just a second rounder this draft, and will need to fill out the roster.

NOP gets: #16 (from ORL), #24 (from PHI), #42 (from PHI), ORL 2021 #1 (top-10 protected, then top-4, then unprotected), Mozgov (from ORL)
ORL gets: Holiday (from NOP), J. Simmons (from PHI)
PHI gets: Frank Jackson (from NOP), Fournier (from ORL)
   3824. sardonic Posted: June 16, 2019 at 01:58 PM (#5852520)
I can give up Frank Jackson to make the deal happen.
   3825. tshipman Posted: June 16, 2019 at 03:17 PM (#5852540)
1. I was talking to a Lakers fan pal who HATES D'Angelo Russell. Older guy, older than me, thinks Russell is an overrated punk, etc. Says Russell reminds him of Nick Van Exel. I mentioned this guy once before. Most Lakers fans like them some DLo though. In any case, I was telling this guy that I think Russell would be a pretty good fit if Irving goes to Brooklyn, and I Googled Russell after the deal yesterday, and all the trending hits were "he's gone if Irving signs with the Nets." So I think Russell makes some sense as a third banana option for this team now. Have no idea if there is any chance it happens.

Well, I don't sign on to the stuff about personality (punk, etc), but Russell is incredibly overrated if anyone's talking about giving him the max. I'm not sure if I want him on the taxpayer MLE, let alone on anything more.

1. Last year was the only year Russell was even approaching a starter.
2. In his best year, which showed slightly fluky 3p shooting, he was about average as a starter.
3. His TS% was below average, his defense was terrible, and his biggest virtue was soaking up possessions at below average efficiency.
4. He plays slow and doesn't push the tempo on offense or defense.
5. He never gets to the basket or the foul line, and he's mediocre at both when he gets there.
6. He's a ball stopper--36% of his possessions had him touching the ball for more than six seconds. (For context, Carmelo in New York had 16% of his possessions last that long).
   3826. sardonic Posted: June 16, 2019 at 07:12 PM (#5852589)
I don't love any of the options at 4, but I do want to make the pick in the spirit of asset accumulation, so NOP going to go with Jarrett Culver, G, Texas Tech

I considered a couple other options, but I ultimately feel that Culver's 70% FT rate will be good enough to drive a 35%-ish 3PT%, and love that he was above 2 STL+BLK per game.

I passed on Darius Garland because he didn't quite show enough to make me believe that he's the next Kyrie Irving, and I already have a couple young players who need the ball in their hands. I don't love Ball or Ingram, but since Griff stuck me with them I want to at least see what I have with them.

1. New Orleans – sardonic - Zion Williamson, F, Duke
2. Memphis – Willard Baseball - Ja Morant, G, Murray State
3. New York – JC and NJ - RJ Barrett, G, Duke
4. New Orleans - sardonic - Jarrett Culver, G, Texas Tech
5. Cleveland - Harlond - ON THE CLOCK

3827. Harlond Posted: June 16, 2019 at 07:30 PM (#5852591)
5. Cleveland - Harlond - DeAndre Hunter, F, National Champion University of Virginia!!!!!!!
   3828. it's hittin' 53450n. Posted: June 16, 2019 at 07:32 PM (#5852592)
Sardonic, do you need Frank Jackson in a world where you have Lonzo and are getting a million draft picks this year? Stiggles, would he fit the bill for you as a major league experienced player? I really just have Iwundu in this major league experience warm body category, am ending up with just a second rounder this draft, and will need to fill out the roster.

frank jackson isn't really really what i'm looking for, but i can walk away happy if i get both him and melvin frazier.

NOP gets: #16 (from ORL), #24 (from PHI), #42 (from PHI), ORL 2021 #1 (top-10 protected, then top-4, then unprotected), Mozgov (from ORL)
ORL gets: Holiday (from NOP), J. Simmons (from PHI)
PHI gets: Frank Jackson (from NOP), melvin frazier (from ORL), evan Fournier (from ORL)
   3829. tshipman Posted: June 16, 2019 at 07:50 PM (#5852597)
5. Cleveland - Harlond - DeAndre Hunter, F, National Champion University of Virginia!!!!!!!

These guys all feel very low ceiling to me. I think this is relatively reasonable for real life. One of these guys might be good (low tier all star), but who the hell knows which one?
   3830. sardonic Posted: June 16, 2019 at 07:55 PM (#5852599)
These guys all feel very low ceiling to me. I think this is relatively reasonable for real life. One of these guys might be good (low tier all star), but who the hell knows which one?

Yeah last year Luka went 3rd and Jeren Jackson went 4th. I feel like DeAndre Hunter is a similar-ish prospect to Wendall Carter, who went 7th last year. Oh well. I did consider Hunter as well, but didn't love his athleticism stats being lower then Culver's, and he's not the shooter that Culver is.
   3831. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: June 16, 2019 at 08:00 PM (#5852601)
[3828] I'll do that. It's the same from Sardonic's side as the one he approved, so that should make it official. A pleasure doing business.

The Magic now have max room (renouncing Vucevic and waiving Simmons). We would like to leak that we have agreed in principle with Kawhi Leonard on a max contract. No state taxes -- Board Man gets paid!

3832. Harlond Posted: June 16, 2019 at 08:07 PM (#5852603)
3. New York – JC and NJ ON THE CLOCK - RJ Barrett, F, Duke
4. Los Angeles Lakers - sardonic - Jarrett Culver, G Texas Tech
5. Cleveland - Harlond - DeAndre Hunter, F, UVA
6. Phoenix – Oriole Tragic - ON THE CLOCK
7. Chicago - Moses
8. Atlanta - Der-K
9. Washington – Dandy Little Glove Man
10. Atlanta - Der-K
11. Minnesota - aberg
12. Charlotte - Fridas Boss
13. Miami – Mouse
14. Boston – stevegamer
15. Detroit - Crosseyed and Painless
16. Orlando – Athletic Supporter
17. Atlanta - Der-K
18. Indiana – JJ1986
19. San Antonio – Quaker
20. Boston – stevegamer
21. Oklahoma City – Thok
22. Boston – stevegamer
23. Utah - Booey/Cervo
24. Philadelphia- 57i66135
25. Portland – PASTE
26. Cleveland - Harlond
27. Brooklyn – mike f
28. Golden State - sardonic
29. San Antonio – Quaker
30. Milwaukee – Ken Griffey's Grotesquely Swollen Jaw

Transactions:
NOP #32
PHO #39, Jahlil Okafor

NOP #4, Ingram, Ball, Hart, future 1sts
LAL Anthony Davis
   3833. Oriole Tragic didn't have the teams Lebron had Posted: June 16, 2019 at 08:12 PM (#5852605)

I'd really like to trade out of #6. Ideas:

@Willard maybe we can work something out around Conley. I'd probably want to send you a contract or two and/or see if you can send upside with Conley?

Anyone else I'm willing to part with Josh Jackson, TJ Warren, Melton, Okobo, and would like to trade down from #6 and/or unload Tyler Johnson's p-opt.

Edited.
   3834. Harlond Posted: June 16, 2019 at 08:22 PM (#5852607)
Yeah last year Luka went 3rd and Jeren Jackson went 4th. I feel like DeAndre Hunter is a similar-ish prospect to Wendall Carter, who went 7th last year. Oh well. I did consider Hunter as well, but didn't love his athleticism stats being lower then Culver's, and he's not the shooter that Culver is.
Well, putting aside the crazy talk about Hunter reminding people of Kawhi, I recognized he might not be the highest ceiling guy, but he seems pretty useful, and he's the kind of useful player--switchable over 2-4 positions, can guard the perimeter, probably will shoot from distance reasonably well--that you can't really have too many of. Culver seems to be similarly useful, and maybe higher ceiling, but why do you say Culver is a better shooter? He wasn't in college.
   3835. it's hittin' 53450n. Posted: June 16, 2019 at 08:24 PM (#5852608)
The Magic now have max room (renouncing Vucevic and waiving Simmons). We would like to leak that we have agreed in principle with Kawhi Leonard on a max contract. No state taxes -- Board Man gets paid

on the sixers end:

if butler signs in LA, and the sixers renounce everyone else, the sixers would have 44MM in cap room.

if the sixers extend redick for 8-10MM, that leaves ~36MM to play with.

that's a max contract for dangelo russell, plus 8-10MM for thad young, a cap exception for mike scott, bird rights for tj mcconnell and a backup 5 at the veteran minimum.1

simmons / russell / fournier / thad / embiid

PG: simmons, mcconnell, jackson
SG: russell, redick, frazier
SF: fournier, zhaire, milton
PF: thad, scott
C: embiid, bolden

side note:
holy ####, do the sixers need to keep jimmy butler.
   3836. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: June 16, 2019 at 08:56 PM (#5852611)
Crosseyed and Painless, how about something along the lines of John Wall and #9 for Reggie Jackson, #15, and salary filler? Here's my proposal:

WAS gets: Reggie Jackson, Jon Leuer, Langston Galloway, #15
DET gets: John Wall, #9
   3837. Crosseyed and Painless Posted: June 16, 2019 at 09:05 PM (#5852613)
Sorry no Wall for me. Obviously not excited about Leuer/Galloway/Jackson but they'll all be expired in 2020. Not signing up for four years of broken Wall probably under any scenario.
   3838. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: June 16, 2019 at 09:19 PM (#5852617)
Wall is so much worse than the next worst contract (Wiggins?) that it's not even funny.
   3839. TFTIO is building his own mealworm farm Posted: June 16, 2019 at 09:27 PM (#5852618)
Wall is so much worse than the next worst contract (Wiggins?) that it's not even funny.

I mean, it's kind of funny? John Wall Slipped On His Infected Heel That Had Bone Spurs And His Achilles Tendon Exploded And His Supermax Begins Next Year is a great headline.
   3840. tshipman Posted: June 16, 2019 at 09:29 PM (#5852619)
Interesting thought experiment around what it would take to dump Wall.

It's 160mm of dead money?
   3841. sardonic Posted: June 16, 2019 at 09:35 PM (#5852621)
Net of all the trades (thanks Spotrac for updating) and renouncing Stanley Johnson, I should now have $25M in cap space for 2019 if anyone wants to dump some more money for a pick!

Current asset list (ahem), I mean roster:

PG Lonzo Ball
SG Jarrett Culver
SF Brandon Ingram
PF Zion Williamson
C Julius Randle (I hope)

C Timofey Mozgov
SG Josh Hart
SG E'Twan Moore
SF Solomon Hill
PF Christian Wood

That is something. I also have #16, #24 and #32 in this draft to build out the roster a bit.

Between me and Griff we have all our own first rounders, plus (adding in my own guesses on when picks will convey):

2021: Orlando 1st (top-10 protected)
2022: LAL 1st (unprotected)
2024: LAL 1st (can defer to 2025)

That's a good amount of ammo, essentially 11 first round picks over 6 drafts starting from this one through 2024.

3842. tshipman Posted: June 16, 2019 at 09:38 PM (#5852622)
C Julius Randle (I hope)

About that ...
Pelicans‘ Julius Randle is not picking up his $9M player option for next season and will enter unrestricted free agency, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Randle is coming off his best NBA season (21.4 PPG, 8.7 RPG, 34.4 percent from 3-point range on 195 attempts).

3843. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: June 16, 2019 at 09:49 PM (#5852625)
Had Washington gotten the #1 pick, and offered it to anyone with sufficient cap room/expirings that would be willing to take John Wall’s contract (I’m not sure if he’s even legally tradeable yet, but for this exercise let’s pretend) — would other teams do it?

Same question but imagine it’s last year’s draft class instead—would teams do it for a prospect of Ayton’s caliber?

The answers may tell us something about just how underpaid rookies are.
   3844. PJ Martinez Posted: June 16, 2019 at 10:20 PM (#5852630)
3843: Zion yes, Ayton no, I suspect. Also: Doncic, maybe?
   3845. sardonic Posted: June 16, 2019 at 10:33 PM (#5852635)
Pelicans‘ Julius Randle is not picking up his $9M player option for next season and will enter unrestricted free agency, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Randle is coming off his best NBA season (21.4 PPG, 8.7 RPG, 34.4 percent from 3-point range on 195 attempts).

Ahh too bad. It wouldn't be the worst idea for NO to sign some younger vets like Randle to a good deal, if possible. Early in the GS run before it all came together, they had guys like Jarrett Jack and Carl Landry, and David Lee. It's not the worst thing, especially with the new lottery system.
   3846. stevegamer Posted: June 16, 2019 at 11:23 PM (#5852647)
Oriole:

If you're looking for a pure dump, this should work. It works on Real GM, can't select Johnson on ESPN.

The Mavs have a large trade exception, and cap room. We can fit Warren, Johnson, and one of the point guards you want to dump, using the trade exception on one of the 2 expensive guys, if Johnson opts in quickly enough to use it (which he should).

We can return the rights to Petteri Koponen.
   3847. Willard Baseball Posted: June 16, 2019 at 11:25 PM (#5852648)
Oriole Tragic...I am very interested in Conley for 6/bad contracts. Which contract are you considering?

I will also take on money for draft picks.

I need to be really bad next year (to keep top 6 pick), then be somehow good the following year for unprotected pick.

Memphis is screwed.
   3848. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: June 16, 2019 at 11:28 PM (#5852650)
Who wants some Mike Conley??

Looking for draft picks or second-chance guys or young guys that are projects (Mo Bamba, etc).

Not sure how Booey feels, but I would be interested in Conley for Jazz. I believe Jazz have to lose Favors in any Conley trade, so question is whether you'd want him for next year (he's good enough I think he could get an asset for Grizzlies if they wanted to move him). Plus this year's first and I guess your choice of Exum, Grayson Allen, and/or Tony Bradley. Assuming Booey approves.
   3849. rr: target market for blowhard nonsense Posted: June 16, 2019 at 11:46 PM (#5852652)
shipman/3825/Russell:

I would not offer Russell the max; and the way some things are shaking out, the Lakers may be at 23.7M instead of 27 or 32. Here are some Basic Metrics comparing Walker and Russell from last year:

TS%
KW .558 DR .533
OBPM
KW 5.1 DR 3.9
DBPM
KW -1.7 DR -0.5 (Walker has been between -1.7 and -1.9 each of the last three years)
WS48
KW .123 DR .097
FTR
KW .267 DR .135
FT%
KW .835 DR .780 (Russell is at .762 career)
3P%
KW .356 DR .369 (Career DR .353 KW .357)
ON/OFF
DR +0.7 KW +6.5

Walker turned 29 in May; Russell turned 23 in February. Russell was better last year than he had been, but I do not see that as a fluke.

Walker is obviously better, but Russell will probably be a lot cheaper and is much younger, and still may improve. I have never been a big Russell fan--he lacks one elite skill, and he is not an awesome jock. But if the Lakers have 23.7M to spend, and Russell is on the market, I would take a look at it. They are looking for starting guards.
   3850. Booey Posted: June 17, 2019 at 12:02 AM (#5852653)
#3848 - I'd be willing to do that for Conley (as I hope the actual Jazz do).
   3851. Oriole Tragic didn't have the teams Lebron had Posted: June 17, 2019 at 12:07 AM (#5852654)
@stevegamer thanks, but Warren's worth a bit more than that. I'll pass.

@Willard I hadn't planned to send the #6 for Conley. That contract is pretty big, and he's over 30 and little bit brittle.

@BooeyCervo and @Willard maybe we can figure a 3-way where Utah gets Conley and second-chancer Josh Jackson, and someone takes on Johnson. I would consider taking Exum, and I could make a young PG available? Something like that?
   3852. Willard Baseball Posted: June 17, 2019 at 12:07 AM (#5852655)
Is Orlando in on Conley? Interested in Fultz and Bamba, plus draft picks. I am ready to start a bidding war?

If I make the Utah trade and get Favors, who is interested that I can flip him to?
   3853. Oriole Tragic didn't have the teams Lebron had Posted: June 17, 2019 at 12:13 AM (#5852656)
@Willard ORL just picked up Jrue Holiday. Not sure how Conley fits into their plans.

I might be interested in Favors.
   3854. Oriole Tragic didn't have the teams Lebron had Posted: June 17, 2019 at 12:23 AM (#5852658)
PHO selects Coby White, PG, UNC.

6. Phoenix – Oriole Tragic - Coby White, PG, UNC.
7. Chicago - Moses - ON THE CLOCK
   3855. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: June 17, 2019 at 12:33 AM (#5852659)
Yeah, we're good with Jrue.

We're interested in picking up youngish potential 3-and-D guys (like in the 24-26 age range, not pure prospects), as is probably half the league. Barring that, would settle for a just-3 guy, or a vet on a short deal (2 years or less). Probably gonna use the cap room on a couple of these, maybe go after some RFAs, but would listen if people have fair contracts they want to unload.

Before everyone piles on in a mad rush, we're keeping Markelle Fultz -- exactly the kind of risk we'd like to have in our portfolio.
   3856. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: June 17, 2019 at 09:47 AM (#5852697)
I also have #16, #24 and #32 in this draft to build out the roster a bit.

Not to mention #42, #57, and the spent #1 and #4 picks. Do you really want 7 rookies on the roster? Seems like a bit of consolidation could be in order.

@sardonic, how about something like this?

NOP gets: #9, Dwight Howard ($5.6M expiring)
WAS gets: #16, #24
   3857. it's hittin' 53450n. Posted: June 17, 2019 at 10:12 AM (#5852706)
quick question:

has anyone here actually watched ja morant play? not live, or even in a game, but just something like a 3 minute highlight video? something more than a 12-second clip while stephen asmith yells at you about the dangers of vaping.
   3858. it's hittin' 53450n. Posted: June 17, 2019 at 10:14 AM (#5852708)
oh, and if you haven't watched ja morant, feel free to say that.

i just realized i haven't even done it yet, and for a guy who's supposed to be the consensus #2 pick, that's weird, right?
   3859. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: June 17, 2019 at 10:16 AM (#5852711)
He did play two pretty high-profile games in the NCAA tournament, 57i66135.
   3860. Willard Baseball Posted: June 17, 2019 at 10:20 AM (#5852713)
I have watched a decent amount of Ja....jury is still out. He might be good Russell Westbrook, or he might not ever shoot well enough as a lead guard. His passing is outstanding, and he has great defensive potential, though he didn't guard anyone this year.

I think he is going to struggle mightily as a mid-range shooter early in his career...many of those shots are flat.

Drafting for Memphis, we will live through the growing pains of a 14-68 season and hope somebody takes our Parsons money next year to go with Ja/1st round pick/JJJ/Slo-Mo.
   3861. sardonic Posted: June 17, 2019 at 10:23 AM (#5852716)
Not to mention #42, #57, and the spent #1 and #4 picks. Do you really want 7 rookies on the roster? Seems like a bit of consolidation could be in order.

@sardonic, how about something like this?

NOP gets: #9, Dwight Howard ($5.6M expiring)
WAS gets: #16, #24

No dice, in a draft like this I want more shots vs. fewer, and I don't need my stable of rookies eating candy all day.
   3862. it's hittin' 53450n. Posted: June 17, 2019 at 10:25 AM (#5852719)
He did play two pretty high-profile games in the NCAA tournament, 57i66135.
i didn't watch the first weekend of the NCAA tournament this year because i was mainlining college wrestling instead.
   3863. Willard Baseball Posted: June 17, 2019 at 10:41 AM (#5852730)
Right now Utah is in the lead for Conley services. Conley for Favors/Utah 1st/Tony Bradley. Does Boston want in on this? Or is there still a dream of Kyrie staying?
   3864. JJ1986 Posted: June 17, 2019 at 10:49 AM (#5852736)
Willard,

What about Conley straight up for the Pacers 1st rounder (we can take him into capspace after July 1)? It's a better pick than Utah's.
   3865. Willard Baseball Posted: June 17, 2019 at 10:55 AM (#5852740)
Oriole Tragic,

What would you give up for Favors?
   3866. it's hittin' 53450n. Posted: June 17, 2019 at 10:57 AM (#5852743)
anyway, i just did my thing on ja morant. here's what i've got:

it's hard to see a comp for him. the closest i can get is either eric bledsoe or donovan mitchell, but he's a better playmaker than both of them.

morant's handle is weird. at first, it seemed really basic, but then he'd hit the juke stick and guys would go flying away from him.

it's the same thing for his playmaking. there's a lot of simple, direct plays...and then he'll hit a guy in the weak side corner with a no-look wraparound pass.

his burst seems a little weak, but he makes up for it with high level change of direction and 2nd jump ability.

i think it might be instructive to compare morant to trae young and deaaron fox, two similarly talented young PGs who were each drafted 5th overall (in more talented, or at least more highly regarded, draft classes):

ballhandling:
trae -> fox -> morant

playmaking:
trae -> morant -> fox

burst:
fox -> morant -> trae

defense:
fox -> morant -> altitude -> humidity -> wet paper bag -> trae

shooting:
trae -> morant -> fox

rebounding:
fox -> morant -> trae

i think morant is closer to fox than he it trae. fox is better because of his plus-plus acceleration and top end speed, but they're at least kind of comparable.

the thing is, i'm not sure where i'd rate trae young. i'm not convinced that he'll be able to hold up to the physicality of the playoffs, so that makes it tougher for me to buy in on his strengths.

as of now, i think i'd rate them:
fox > ...idk....
   3867. Oriole Tragic didn't have the teams Lebron had Posted: June 17, 2019 at 10:57 AM (#5852744)
@Willard I have some young guys and/or #39. What'd you have in mind?

3833. Oriole Tragic don't want me here no more Posted: June 16, 2019 at 08:12 PM (#5852605)

@Willard maybe we can work something out around Conley. I'd probably want to send you a contract or two and/or see if you can send upside with Conley?

Anyone else: I'm willing to part with Josh Jackson, TJ Warren, Melton, Okobo, and would like to trade down from #6 and/or unload Tyler Johnson's p-opt.
   3868. Willard Baseball Posted: June 17, 2019 at 11:11 AM (#5852750)
Oriole Tragic,

Would you do Favors for 39/Josh Jackson/Tyler Johnson?
   3869. Oriole Tragic didn't have the teams Lebron had Posted: June 17, 2019 at 11:21 AM (#5852751)

@Willard sure I can do that.
   3870. Willard Baseball Posted: June 17, 2019 at 11:23 AM (#5852752)
Memphis trades Mike Conley to Utah for Favors, pick 23, Tony Bradley

Memphis trades Favors to PHX for Josh Jackson, pick 39, Tyler Johnson
   3871. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: June 17, 2019 at 11:42 AM (#5852754)
7. Chicago - Moses - Darius Garland, G, Vanderbilt
8. Atlanta - Der-K - ON THE CLOCK

Garland doesn't appear to be a true PG, which is really the Bulls' biggest need (or maybe another big if WCJ isn'g going to be good - which is very possible - but it's still too soon to be picking his replacement). I could make an argument for another wing or combo forward, but the way this draft shakes out, guess I'm taking the lottery ticket. That sounds like I'm down on Garland, but I don't think I am - I'm just not sold on him either. Also doesn't seem like the real draft will shake out this way, so I've spent more time looking at White, Hunter, and Culver. I definitely don't trust the Bulls or Jim Boylen, WFP*, to turn him into a PG, but I can at least dream on his shooting and I really just want this Bulls roster to run, run, run.

*Worked For Pop
   3872. Oriole Tragic didn't have the teams Lebron had Posted: June 17, 2019 at 11:46 AM (#5852756)
3. New York – JC and NJ - RJ Barrett, F, Duke
4. New Orleans (via LAL) - sardonic - Jarrett Culver, G Texas Tech

Transactions:
MEM #39, Josh Jackson, Tyler Johnson
PHO Derrick Favors

MEM #23, Derrick Favors, Tony Bradley
UTA Mike Conley

NOP #16 (from ORL), #24 (from PHI), #42 (from PHI), ORL 2021 #1 (top-10 protected, then top-4, then unprotected), Mozgov (from ORL)
ORL J. Holiday (from NOP), J. Simmons (from PHI)
PHI Frank Jackson and Melvin Frazier(?) (from NOP), Fournier (from ORL)

NOP #32
PHO #39, Jahlil Okafor

IRL:
NOP #4, Ingram, Ball, Hart, future 1sts and swaps
LAL Anthony Davis

3873. Willard Baseball Posted: June 17, 2019 at 11:48 AM (#5852757)
Moses,

I like Garland. How high are you on Morant? Interested in giving up unprotected future 1st/swaps anything to swap PG?

Morant is really athletic and passes well in transition...could make the Bulls run a bunch.
   3874. it's hittin' 53450n. Posted: June 17, 2019 at 11:49 AM (#5852759)
i really...kind of...want to offer ben simmons for john collins, #8 and #10.
   3875. Quaker Posted: June 17, 2019 at 12:01 PM (#5852768)
What would it take to Covington, whoever has the Wolves?
   3876. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: June 17, 2019 at 12:03 PM (#5852770)
I like Garland. How high are you on Morant? Interested in giving up unprotected future 1st/swaps anything to swap PG?

I really like Morant, and was hoping for the lottery luck to bounce that way for the Bulls. That's an interesting idea, so I'm curious what you would suggest it's worth for you.
   3877. it's hittin' 53450n. Posted: June 17, 2019 at 12:09 PM (#5852774)
i really...kind of...want to offer ben simmons for john collins, #8 and #10.
just to build this out a bit:

irl:
this trade, assuming butler comes back, gives the sixers the role (starting PG) and cap room to sign kemba walker (or kyrie irving..err, or dangelo russell) to a max contract.

kemba + butler + collins + embiid, plus #8, #10, #24, #33, #34, zhaire smith (and others, i guess).

in this reality:
assuming butler comes back, trading for fournier ruins the possibility of getting a max free agent, but there's still one possibly underrated option available as a free agent: derrick rose.

rose / fournier / butler / collins / embiid

plus #8, #10, #33, #34, zhaire smith, taj gibson (and various others)

3878. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: June 17, 2019 at 12:19 PM (#5852778)
irl:
this trade, assuming butler comes back, gives the sixers the role (starting PG) and cap room to sign kemba walker (or kyrie irving..err, or dangelo russell) to a max contract.

kemba + butler + collins + embiid, plus #8, #10, #24, #33, #34, zhaire smith (and others, i guess).

I get the itch to maybe try something different from Simmons, as well as your prospect fetish, but I don't think the way to maximize Embiid's window of health - or to win next season when the championship is likely to be WIDE open - is to load up on a bunch of rookies. The "others" are pretty big in this scenario.
   3879. sardonic Posted: June 17, 2019 at 12:21 PM (#5852780)
The Process is the purpose and the purpose is the Process.
   3880. Oriole Tragic didn't have the teams Lebron had Posted: June 17, 2019 at 12:22 PM (#5852781)
If I have this right, then PHO has turned #32, Johnson's 19MM p-opt, and Josh Jackson (who could very possibly blossom elsewhere) into roughly 25MM in space, if I waive Favors by 5 July and decline Jah's club option. If I renounce the remaining RFAs, then that's probably room for one max slot, which I'd probably offer to Russell, I guess. IRL, I doubt that Russell would come to PHO, and they'll probably end up having to settle for somebody like Rubio, which I personally wouldn't do.

On the other hand, it might be OK to go with the current core roster as-is for 2019, then try for an FA in 2020. Ayton/Favors/Okafor might be a pretty OK big rotation and the 2nd-year players can some more burn with Johnson and Jackson out of the picture. The guard role looks really thin after Booker (White, Melton, Okobo). At SF, Warren is OK (and available!) and Bridges could still develop.

On White: I picked him mainly because of his size (if not span) advantage over Garland, plus I'm hoping his 80% FTM will translate to a decent NBA 3per. I don't love White, but I think Garland is too small and there's just not much to go on with him. I wanted to trade down, but I didn't see anything below my slot that was worth a reach from #6, although Cam Reddish could make me regret that.

I guess a "keep-em" core roster looks something like:

Guards: White, Booker
Wings: Warren, Bridges, Favors
Bigs: Ayton, Okafor

Edited.
   3881. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: June 17, 2019 at 12:23 PM (#5852782)
Jrue trade for Orlando:

1. I think Jrue is really good. His on/off is double digits for the last couple years, and above +5 for like the last 5 or 6. (The counter is that the guy who's been on when he's off has usually been dogshit... but I think he's very underrated, unfairly lumped in with "Anthony Davis's shitty supporting cast".)

2. The hope is that a good PG will lift the whole team of athletes. Gordon and Isaac need a conductor and I feel like I got the best one available.

3. The roster is a bit thin, but by clearing Fournier we do have 33M in space to realistically split among a few shooters (a huge need right now).

4. I think this draft is terrible and value pick 16 in it very low.

5. We have a two-year plan to see what Isaac and Bamba evolve into, which matches Jrue's contract. We should at minimum be cromulent so I'm not too worried about trading a 2021 pick (expecting it to be in the low 20s, and convey). After that we will assess whether or not to hand out Wiggins like contracts or blow it up.

6. 80% or so of chips are won by teams with a top three player in the league. The only real chance Orlando has to get one is for Isaac or Bamba to evolve into that. If they don't, nothing matters; if they do, Jrue will be perfect.

7. That said... no state taxes! If an NBA player wants to maximize their basketball earning potential, we are one of 5 teams where he can do that, and right now only us and the Mavs have max cap space. Hill and McGrady came here once, after all.

8. I believe in Steve Clifford. Jrue, a real two-way positive, is a nice piece for him to play with.
   3882. NJ in NY (Now with Big Girl!) Posted: June 17, 2019 at 12:51 PM (#5852791)
Jim Boylen, WFP*

I love this so much.
   3883. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: June 17, 2019 at 12:56 PM (#5852795)
This nugget in Lowe's column on the AD trade:

[LeBron] is on pace to be third all time in combined regular-season and playoff minutes by the end of next season.

It's one of those things I felt like I knew, or should know, but still seeing it written like that kinda blew my mind.
   3884. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: June 17, 2019 at 01:00 PM (#5852798)
That offer is terrible, STEAGLES.
--
Headed to a meeting, back in an hour. If someone makes a decent offer for #8, I'll deal it otherwise will pick when I'm back. Willing to trade up (8/10) or down or deal for a future pick.
   3885. it's hittin' 53450n. Posted: June 17, 2019 at 01:03 PM (#5852799)
I get the itch to maybe try something different from Simmons, as well as your prospect fetish, but I don't think the way to maximize Embiid's window of health - or to win next season when the championship is likely to be WIDE open - is to load up on a bunch of rookies. The "others" are pretty big in this scenario.

getting kemba would solve most of the issues the sixers offense has had in the playoffs over the last two years.

john collins can replicate a lot of the things that ben simmons does (other than playmaking and perimeter defense).

butler and embiid are still (for now) butler and embiid.

figure out the rest at the trade deadline. zhaire smith or jonah bolden could take a step forward in their 2nd seasons, which would help the bench (especially defensively). you can pull a decent backup PG (elfrid, burke, lin, isaiah thomas, shane larkin, maybe just stick with teejer) and a backup 5 (kyle oquinn, zaza, ekpe udoh, pero antic, lukas nogueira) off the scrap heap. the two top 10 picks could show flashes of usefulness (#tradebait).

side note:
this is a weak draft at the top because of a mediocre crop of college freshman, but if you look at recent history, the depth of a given draft is generally determined by international prospects, young centers with athleticism, and college upperclassmen. this draft is extremely deep in college upperclassmen and athletic bigs (the international class kind of just is what it is), so i think the 10-40 range is kind of undervalued this year.
   3886. it's hittin' 53450n. Posted: June 17, 2019 at 01:04 PM (#5852800)
That offer is terrible, STEAGLES.
just to be clear: it wasn't an offer, it was a musing. i'm just thinking out loud.
   3887. Oriole Tragic didn't have the teams Lebron had Posted: June 17, 2019 at 01:07 PM (#5852802)
Correction: Favors should be in my "Bigs" list, of course.

One thing I'm not clear on is Spotrac's concept of "Practical Cap Space." Is that amount PHO can spend before hitting luxury tax?

Spotrac says that PHO is over the salary cap by about 3.5MM in 2019, but has 24+MM of 2019 Practical Space. Since I shipped out about 26MM (Johnson and Jackson) and brought back only 19MM (Favors and Jah, if I keep them both), I should be under the cap by at least 1MM. As I understand it, getting under the cap means I can open up cap space by renouncing my RFAs under the Cap Hold.

This should mean that renouncing my RFAs (28MM) plus declining Jimmer's 2MM club option should open up about 30MM, which gets me at least 54MM of Practical Space, which is enough for two max contracts, right?

I'm not sure I have that right, but that's what I was figuring. What am I missing here?

Edited.
   3888. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: June 17, 2019 at 01:29 PM (#5852808)
The Wizards are open to trading down from #9. All offers welcome.
   3889. Willard Baseball Posted: June 17, 2019 at 01:35 PM (#5852810)
Moses,

I would deal Ja for Garland, your 2020 unprotected 1st, and the right to swap 1sts in 2022.
   3890. aberg Posted: June 17, 2019 at 01:36 PM (#5852811)
What would it take to Covington, whoever has the Wolves?

I like Covington and I think he's a really good fit with Towns. That said, I'd probably do something like Covington and my 2nd rounder (39 I think) for Murray, Mills, and 19. Salary works.
   3891. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: June 17, 2019 at 01:41 PM (#5852814)
this is a weak draft at the top because of a mediocre crop of college freshman, but if you look at recent history, the depth of a given draft is generally determined by international prospects, young centers with athleticism, and college upperclassmen. this draft is extremely deep in college upperclassmen and athletic bigs (the international class kind of just is what it is), so i think the 10-40 range is kind of undervalued this year.

Agree.
People - trade for my #8 or #10!
----
Atlanta selects Cam Reddish, F, Duke. He was terrible most of last season, but I happened to see him a few times early in the season when he looked like the second best guy on the team and the raw tools and skills appear to be there. How much he plays this year might depend on if I can get Bazemore or Crabbe to accept a buyout where they take a real haircut but, truthfully, I'm happy with him sitting and learning in year one. (I like Bazemore as mentor if he stays.)

6. Phoenix – Oriole Tragic - Coby White, PG, UNC
8. Atlanta - Der-K - Cam Reddish, F, Duke
9. Washington – Dandy Little Glove Man ON THE CLOCK
   3892. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: June 17, 2019 at 01:49 PM (#5852817)
[3890] Quaker, if you trade Dejounte Murray, you'll lose yourself a Spurs fan right here.
   3893. Oriole Tragic didn't have the teams Lebron had Posted: June 17, 2019 at 02:05 PM (#5852824)
@Der-K I'm interested in picks but not sure we have a fit. I have some 2nd-year PGs, TJ Warren, Favors on a non-guaranteed deal until July, a club option for Jah and space to take a contract. Ideas?
   3894. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: June 17, 2019 at 02:11 PM (#5852829)
Quaker, I'd be willing to trade #9 for #19 and #29. If that works or if it helps facilitate a Covington trade, let me know.
   3895. aberg Posted: June 17, 2019 at 02:15 PM (#5852832)
From Lowe:

Teaming with LeBron slots Davis into his ideal role. He will be the most well-rounded pick-and-roll partner LeBron has ever had -- the only one who can devastate both diving to the rim for lobs and popping out for jumpers.

Couldn't you have said all that about 2010 Chris Bosh? I will be interested to see if they maximize the PNR game better in this setup.
   3896. sardonic Posted: June 17, 2019 at 02:25 PM (#5852838)
Bosh, admittedly is awesome too. I think AD is probably a bit more explosive on the roll though, and just as able to pop out for 3s. I don't think it's a slight on him to say that AD is more well rounded in the PnR.
   3897. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: June 17, 2019 at 02:25 PM (#5852839)
I don't see much to do pick-wise, Oriole. One thought - we could do a bad contract swap... something centered around Tyler Johnson and Allen Crabbe. Each has one year left on the deal and you'd save a little money to help you with taking on other bad deals.
   3898. Oriole Tragic didn't have the teams Lebron had Posted: June 17, 2019 at 02:27 PM (#5852840)
@Der-K I already sent Johnson to MEM. I (now) have plenty of cap space, don't really have any more toxic contracts, and was looking for picks. Thanks, though!

3872. Oriole Tragic don't want me here no more Posted: June 17, 2019 at 11:46 AM (#5852756)
4. New Orleans (via LAL) - sardonic - Jarrett Culver, G Texas Tech

Transactions:
MEM #39, Josh Jackson, Tyler Johnson
PHO Derrick Favors
   3899. smileyy Posted: June 17, 2019 at 02:28 PM (#5852841)
Bosh didn't start shooting 3s until his 4th season with Miami: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/boshch01.html

Maybe I'm being too restrictive in my thoughts about pick and pop only being 3s?
   3900. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: June 17, 2019 at 02:30 PM (#5852842)
oops! I was thinking you'd acquired him from Miami... which happened midseason!
Although, Crabbe makes more sense in Memphis than Phoenix anyway. :)
Page 39 of 68 pages ‹ First  < 37 38 39 40 41 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Harveys Wallbangers
for his generous support.