Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, September 27, 2013

OT: NBC.news: Valve isn’t making one gaming console, but multiple ‘Steam machines’

Valve therefore left open the possibility that whatever Steam Machines eventually make it to market next year could either be first- or third-party hardware. The company is putting out invitations for 300 Steam users to participate in a beta test they must qualify for by completing an “eligibility quest” that involves familiarizing themselves with Steam’s current features.

The other gaming thread died. Here’s a new one for those interested. I figured Steam looking for Beta Testers made for a good lead-in.

Happy Gaming!

Poster Nutbag Posted: September 27, 2013 at 05:34 PM | 834 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: ot

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 9 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
   101. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: November 28, 2013 at 05:54 PM (#4607301)
Flop
   102. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: November 28, 2013 at 05:55 PM (#4607302)
Anyone played the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition?

That's on sale too right now, I never played the original and was wondering if this variant of it was worth getting, or whether I should stick to the original and community mods ...
   103. madvillain Posted: November 28, 2013 at 06:21 PM (#4607306)

Certainly worth it if you never played the original. One of the classic isometric style RPGs. Going to look (and to an extent play) a bit dated but it's a classic.

I'm currently working through NWN2 ultimate edition (or whatever Steam called it) and that's a lot of fun, although not being a huge D&D person I had to rely mostly on character creation guides to build my character. Lighting up a bunch of ghouls with an area of effect fire ball never gets old.
   104. RJ in TO Posted: November 28, 2013 at 07:01 PM (#4607313)

It is worthwhile. They've added several new recruitable characters, added support for all the classes from BG2 and a couple new ones, fixed a goodly number of bugs (while adding some new ones), added a couple new areas (and a separate nothing-but-combat mini-campaignn outside the standard campaign), and some other stuff too.
   105. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: November 28, 2013 at 07:21 PM (#4607319)
Thanks, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on BG:EE, as well as "Papers, Please".

BG:EE, Skyrim and P,P ... all for $18, those ought to keep me busy for a while ...

[EDIT] If I can ever pull myself away from FM 2013, and right after I complete DA:O, check in with R: TW II to see if it's been fixed enough to be worth playing, I'm soooooo over these ...
   106. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 28, 2013 at 09:04 PM (#4607327)
System Shock 2 for $5.

Did I say $5 for one of the greatest horror-FPS-RPG games ever seen? No brethren, praise to GabeN, you can partake of this wondrous gaming ambrosia for a mere $2.49 during the current 8 hour sale window!

Seriously, for $2.50 everyone should check this game out, it's one of the best games you'll ever play, and if you don't take my word for it, how does a Metacritic score of 92 sound to ya? Grab the updated texture mods and dive in, you can thank me later.
   107. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 28, 2013 at 09:35 PM (#4607330)
It's a golden age for PC gaming in that you can build a great gaming machine for under $600, but the days of PC exclusive titles are long gone.

You must be daft! Heck, there are entire genres that only exist on the PC - what's the console equivalent of anything from the outstandingly deep and challenging Total War series?
   108. Greg K Posted: November 28, 2013 at 11:34 PM (#4607345)
You must be daft! Heck, there are entire genres that only exist on the PC - what's the console equivalent of anything from the outstandingly deep and challenging Total War series?

Not to mention the Paradox games...which are essentially the deal breaker for me. As far as I'm concerned everything else is irrelevant...I'll buy the product I can play Europa Universalis on.

I will say that the Kinect is pretty awesome (based on the one or two Kinect games I've played that are done right. Like any other totally new format there have been plenty of hiccups along the way, but from what I've seen there is a ton of potential there).

Console vs. PC or Xbox vs. Playstation arguments always seem to bring out the worst in (us) nerds. I never get why one can't just enjoy Star Wars and Star Trek without questioning the sanity of the other side.
   109. Paul D(uda) Posted: November 29, 2013 at 08:06 AM (#4607377)
I picked up Skyrim and Rogue Legacy. I'm tempted by Prison Architect, but even at 50 per cent off, $15 seems like a lot for a game that's still in alpha. I was also debating Dark Souls, but remembered that I don't hate myself, and X Com, since I have the PS3 version and my PS3 died, and I want the expansion, but I think Skyrim will tide me over until there's also a sale on the expansion.
   110. Rants Mulliniks Posted: November 29, 2013 at 08:51 AM (#4607379)
Change of subject, but here goes.

Then Again, TSA Agents Could Boost Attendance In Tampa Bay (As Long As You Count Them As Attendees). The strong indication last week that all major league teams will require fans to pass through security detectors to enter a ballpark next season is not promising. Yes, we all have security concerns, and such detectors make sense in certain places -- airports among them. But fans and their bags already are subject to search. Imagine the large disruption and annoyance that this additional security search will cause. And to the best of my knowledge, there isn't a history of threatening incidents at major league games, which have drawn more than one billion fans over the past 20 years. Should we have these security detectors everywhere there are large crowds and possible threats of violence? Must you pass through them to enter a movie theater? A shopping mall? A subway? A park? A church? When will there be an end to fear overwhelming everything we do? Rather than treat every fan as a potential terrorist, it is time we heed the words of a certain president who said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

This was buried in the middle of Jim Caple's latest column
   111. formerly dp Posted: November 29, 2013 at 09:11 AM (#4607381)
Rants, why are you posting that in the gaming thread?
   112. Good cripple hitter Posted: November 29, 2013 at 09:13 AM (#4607382)
That story was already posted here.
   113. Rants Mulliniks Posted: November 29, 2013 at 09:16 AM (#4607383)
Sorry guys, I thought this was the general monthly OT thread.
   114. formerly dp Posted: November 29, 2013 at 09:19 AM (#4607384)
I don't really have a horse in the PC vs. console race, but personally, I am moving to PC because it makes my job easier and the games are much, much cheaper in the aggregate. There were a couple of non-incendiary articles on the differences between PC/console posted to Lifehcker this week:
Why I'm a PC Gamer
Why I'm a Console Gamer

I'm also one of those people who shamelessly uses an Xbox controller on my PC, so I'm not PC gamer purist. Just anecdotally, a couple of my console-owning friends are going the build-a-gaming-PC route, rather than getting in on the new generation of consoles. There's not really much, outside of the new Kinect and The Show, that excites me about the One and PS4, though I would like to try out the new controllers for each.
   115. formerly dp Posted: November 29, 2013 at 09:19 AM (#4607385)
Sorry guys, I thought this was the general monthly OT thread.
I thought there was a connection I failed to pick up on, or something.
   116. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 29, 2013 at 10:59 AM (#4607403)
I'm also one of those people who shamelessly uses an Xbox controller on my PC, so I'm not PC gamer purist.

I don't see how that makes you any less pure. PC gaming is about flexibility; the right tool for the right job. Sports games and beat-em-ups play better with a gamepad, FPS and RTS/strategy ga,es play better with a keyboard and mouse.
   117. formerly dp Posted: November 29, 2013 at 11:12 AM (#4607406)
I don't see how that makes you any less pure. PC gaming is about flexibility; the right tool for the right job.
Yeah, but I use a controller for FPS. Not cool.

Steam's "big screen" mode really is fantastic-- controller integrates seamlessly. I'm making the transition to PC gaming in the living room this weekend after giving it a test run on my office system.
   118. Non-Youkilidian Geometry Posted: November 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM (#4607407)
Speaking of Baldur's Gate:EE, has anyone tried the iPad version? (I'm a Mac guy so I can't take advantage of the Steam deal, which is PC-only). I played the original back in the day and enjoyed it immensely, but question how well it will work when ported to a touchscreen device. It's only $10, but I'm trying to decide whether to get it or spend $20 for the Mac version.
   119. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: November 29, 2013 at 11:28 AM (#4607410)
I don't see it as an either/or. I'm an adult and have a job, if I want to have a PC and one of the consoles, I'm going to do that! There are always some killer games on a console that don't get to the PC. I tend to prefer sports game on the PC however, if the console versions aren't very friendly with customization - MLB the Show has lots of excellent roster mods, but Madden is mostly a closed garden, so I use the old PC version that the mod community is still active with (I've made complete 13 or 25 playbooks for almost every team, including figuring out how to mostly implement read options!). I don't buy as many console games as I used to though, simply because there are fewer of the console-style RPGs than there were in the SNES/PS1 era.

Already bought a bunch of stuff at this season's Steam Sale. Humble Bundles are easy ways to get me to buy. Technically illegal, but anytime I buy a game, I also download a cracked version and store it in my archives - who knows where Steam will be in 10-20 years?
   120. madvillain Posted: November 29, 2013 at 02:03 PM (#4607480)

Don't kid yourself there used to be a compelling argument against consoles, the foundation of which was games that for whatever reason couldn't be done on console, either from a graphics or networking or interface or some combo of all of them. If you were serious about gaming in 2002 you had a PC first and a ps2 or n64 a distant 2nd.

Those days are gone. I play sc2 quite a bit which unlike the vast majority of the list you linked above, is actually a compelling PC exclusive. Doesn't mean I'm not going to guy buy the awesome gaming machine that is the xbone or ps4, even, gasp, at perhaps the expense of not upgrading my gaming PC this holiday season.

The fight is dumb in general but from my perspective it isn't the console fanboys leading the charge anymore, it is a few very loud PC gamers that seemingly refuse to admit that there are compelling reasons to game, even exclusively for large amounts of people, on a console.

121. formerly dp Posted: November 29, 2013 at 02:45 PM (#4607492)
I don't see it as an either/or. I'm an adult and have a job, if I want to have a PC and one of the consoles, I'm going to do that!
Yeah, but not everyone prioritizes their spending like that-- for some people (even adults with jobs!), it is an either/or, because they're not interested in spending over $1000 on gaming hardware. Gaming's a relatively cheap hobby on a price per entertainment hour basis (or rather, it can be, if you want it to be...), but some people have multiple hobbies, or children, or not as much of their income to devote to it, and for those people, the choice does actually matter.

For people deciding on price alone, I generally advise them to go PC if they have the patience for the initial setup. Right now, for instance, you can get Borderlands 2 complete with most DLC for under $15 on the PC, while it's still around $30 for the console version. Those price difference add up after a while, and make up for the initial difference in investment on hardware.
   122. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: November 29, 2013 at 02:49 PM (#4607494)
The fight is dumb in general but from my perspective it isn't the console fanboys leading the charge anymore

I don't know, you seem to be doing a perfectly good job there by yourself.
   123. madvillain Posted: November 29, 2013 at 03:17 PM (#4607504)
I don't know, you seem to be doing a perfectly good job there by yourself.

Yep, and I will continue to as long as articles are printed that start off like the one about the Steam box that was linked above. No, it's not "sad" that the Steam box has better specs than the similarly priced XBONE. What's sad is that people continue to cling to things such as this to trash consoles.

Hell, Intel is making noise about socketless desktop processors as soon as 2014, now that would be SAD.
   124. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 29, 2013 at 05:17 PM (#4607557)
Listen up console peasants!

PC systems are the superior choice for gamers still deciding whether to purchase the recently released PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles, Nvidia's Matt Wright told MCV in the wake of the company's release of a series of smaller livingroom-friendly PCs..."The PC platform is far superior to any console when it comes to gaming, plus you get all the extra functionality that a computer brings," he added. "Steam now has more users than Xbox Live... There's a huge community who love playing their games on PC."

Today's Steam Sale deliciousness includes Bioshock Infinite for $10, the very cool sneak-based FPS Dishonored for $7.50, and the legendary Half Life 2 for a mere $2.50! Dig in!
   125. TFTIO is familiar with the work of Pablo Neruda Posted: November 29, 2013 at 06:52 PM (#4607603)
I tried the Baldur's Gate iPad version and it was terrible. The interface hadn't been rethought at all, so it was largely unplayable. See also, the XCOM port. Nothing makes me angrier in a game than a bad control scheme. I have worked around everything else, but if a game's control scheme is poor, it goes straight into the bin.
   126. Non-Youkilidian Geometry Posted: November 29, 2013 at 07:52 PM (#4607625)
Thanks, TFTIO. That's what I feared. I'll give it a miss.
   127. Greg K Posted: November 29, 2013 at 07:55 PM (#4607629)
PC systems are the superior choice for gamers still deciding whether to purchase the recently released PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles, Nvidia's Matt Wright told MCV in the wake of the company's release of a series of smaller livingroom-friendly PCs..."The PC platform is far superior to any console when it comes to gaming, plus you get all the extra functionality that a computer brings," he added. "Steam now has more users than Xbox Live... There's a huge community who love playing their games on PC."

I'm a firm PC supporter, but this sounds a lot like Nvidia is saying: "we don't use our graphics cards in consoles, so you shouldn't buy them".
   128. Dale Sams Posted: November 29, 2013 at 08:36 PM (#4607637)
I went ahead and bought FM 2013 for $20. I haven't played a manager game in forever. This should reignite my interest in soccer in general.

Up Partick Thistle!!

Also...Rangers are in division 3? BAHAHAHAA
   129. hokieneer Posted: November 30, 2013 at 02:55 AM (#4607722)
I have been console less since the spring when my PS3 YYOD. I spent the time diving back into PC gaming with GOGs summer sale and Path of Exile. A few days ago, a friend of mine who just got a ps4 stopped buy and basically gave me his old ps3. He just asked me to keep his saved games/profile, but I'm able to create an alt. profile on the machine and link it with my PSN account. Since then I've bought a few of the cheap console black friday titles and just picked up a year sub. to PSN Plus for $30 off of amazon. There are no less than 4 games right now on PSN Plus that I would pay to play, including X-Com (no idea how this would play on ps3 compared to PC).

I'll probably play out the next year or two on that PS3 and catch up on my back log. Until Sony (and less likely Microsoft) ramp up their 1st and 2nd party development, I'll stick with my PS3/PC combo, and ignore the new generation.
   130. Dan Posted: November 30, 2013 at 09:20 AM (#4607734)
The new MLB The Show is what will probably push me into buying a PS4. Until then it's PS3 and PC for me though I haven't been gaming much lately. I'll probably get back into it after the holidays with baseball still several months off though.
   131. Swedish Chef Posted: November 30, 2013 at 09:30 AM (#4607735)
Flop

Far to early too tell.
   132. Greg K Posted: November 30, 2013 at 11:05 AM (#4607758)
There are no less than 4 games right now on PSN Plus that I would pay to play, including X-Com (no idea how this would play on ps3 compared to PC).

I had X-Com on XBOX in the UK. It didn't make the migration back to Canada so yesterday I bought X-Com and the expansion for the PC. It seems like roughly the same thing...except that the Enemy Within expansion pack is the bees knees.
   133. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: November 30, 2013 at 12:21 PM (#4607772)
I went ahead and bought FM 2013 for $20.

Well, that's the last we'll hear from Dale for a while ...
   134. Dale Sams Posted: November 30, 2013 at 12:41 PM (#4607781)
I have been console less since the spring when my PS3 YYOD

I immediately got a new one because it was my bluray player and I'd stream stuff from my computer.
   135. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: November 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM (#4607783)
I had X-Com on XBOX in the UK. It didn't make the migration back to Canada so yesterday I bought X-Com and the expansion for the PC. It seems like roughly the same thing...except that the Enemy Within expansion pack is the bees knees.

I loved the gameplay in that, and am a huge fan of the originals, so I will have to give the expansion a whirl at some point.

But man, were there some stupid things in that game, that annoyed the crap out of me. You can have 99 soldiers, but apparently a globally funded defense organization, with science and engineering R&D and production facilities, a satellite network, and a few hangars full of super-advanced jet fighters can only afford a single troop transporter... Despite the fact that the aliens have repeatedly attacked in multiple locations at once. I could almost live with the arbitrary 6 soldiers per mission limit, but that really takes the cake.

Also, while you can have tons of those super-advanced jets, when an alien craft appears, you can only ever send out one at once. When humanity is threatened by an extra-terrestrial invasion, we seemingly have to face them 1 v 1. Because apparently, if we don't uphold to the grand ideals of sportsmanship, out humanity is already lost... or something.
   136. hokieneer Posted: November 30, 2013 at 01:03 PM (#4607790)
I immediately got a new one because it was my bluray player and I'd stream stuff from my computer.

Yeah, we kind of did without those 1st world luxuries here recently. Just used the laptop for netflix and other service based streaming. For some reason my son prefers to watch netflix on our laptop as opposed to the tv anyway, so got by there.

What software do you use to stream from your PC? Are you just streaming your own local content (movies, music, dvd rips, etc), or are you streaming content that's being delivered from another service? When I first got my PS3 we would stream a lot of stuff from the PC, but over time kind of got away from that. I still plan on building a NAS/Media server box when I get the money, to offload all our media from my PC.
   137. zack Posted: November 30, 2013 at 01:18 PM (#4607796)
I want a console for NHL14 and The Show, but what, $520? dollars for two games is just too much. My ca. 2009 PC still plays everything else I want.

Yesterday while sitting in a mall I luckily checked the steam page in time to grab the new Spelunky for $3.75. The original game was tremendous so I'm excited for the fancy version.

I was also debating Dark Souls, but remembered that I don't hate myself

Don't buy it, not because it's hard, but because it is truly an awful, awful console port. Easily the worst I've ever seen. Even the devs admitted they had no idea how to make a PC game.
   138. Greg K Posted: November 30, 2013 at 01:21 PM (#4607797)
Also, while you can have tons of those super-advanced jets, when an alien craft appears, you can only ever send out one at once. When humanity is threatened by an extra-terrestrial invasion, we seemingly have to face them 1 v 1. Because apparently, if we don't uphold to the grand ideals of sportsmanship, out humanity is already lost... or something.

It's only fair when you think of it. The Aliens have super awesome technology we could never hope to defeat at the outset, but they are good sports and start with really small dudes with pistols and tiny scouts and don't bring out the big guns until we have some too.

Is there much modding in the X-Com community? Because I'd love a version that gives you super expanded class promotion trees and more classes. The new expansion does a good job of this, but I can imagine so much more...sympathetic alien races you can recruit, melee specialists etc...really I just love the turn based action gameplay and want a massive expansion of that. I think at heart I've just been waiting 20 years for an awesomer version of Shining Force.
   139. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: November 30, 2013 at 01:31 PM (#4607801)
Is there much modding in the X-Com community?

There is quite a bit, including expanded classes and a marathon game setting and the like. Still no mod that lets you have more than one troop transporter though.

Try here for starters.
   140. Dale Sams Posted: November 30, 2013 at 02:43 PM (#4607831)
What software do you use to stream from your PC

I'm using something called 'PS3 media server'. Not long ago, the wife got me a sony Blu-ray player with all kinds of nifty services included. It and the PS3 will detect my computer. I use it to stream movies and music from my computer.

Well, that's the last we'll hear from Dale for a while ...

Too true.
   141. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 30, 2013 at 03:28 PM (#4607857)
Today's delights would make the rubes trample each other at WalMart if offered in meatspace. Pick up the post-apocalyptic FPS/driving/comedy game Borderlands 2 for $7.50 (ch-ching, I was holding out for $5 but this is close enough), or one of my absolute favorite new RPG IP's in The Witcher 2 for a mere $5! Perhaps you'd like to kick some Bat-butt at the low, low price of $7.50 for Arkham City GOTY Edition? Max Payne 3 for $3 (ashtray money, bro!)?

Rome: Total War II is on sale for $30, not sure if I want to break the bank quite yet.
   142. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: November 30, 2013 at 03:35 PM (#4607859)
Rome: Total War II is on sale for $30, not sure if I want to break the bank quite yet.

Wait for it, it ain't worth 1/2 that, even now, sad to say ...
   143. The Good Face Posted: November 30, 2013 at 03:38 PM (#4607860)
Today's delights would make the rubes trample each other at WalMart if offered in meatspace. Pick up the post-apocalyptic FPS/driving/comedy game Borderlands 2 for $7.50 (ch-ching, I was holding out for $5 but this is close enough),

Borderlands 2 for $7.50 is an absolute steal of a deal. You could easily spend 100 hours just playing through the main campaign with the different characters. What's that, like $0.075 per hour of entertainment?
   144. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 30, 2013 at 03:48 PM (#4607865)
Borderlands 2 for $7.50 is an absolute steal of a deal. You could easily spend 100 hours just playing through the main campaign with the different characters. What's that, like $0.075 per hour of entertainment?

Any experience with the multiplayer? Heard it was fun but never tried it.
   145. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 30, 2013 at 03:49 PM (#4607866)

Wait for it, it ain't worth 1/2 that, even now, sad to say ...

Wow, really? They've had, what, like 7 rounds of patches by now haven't they? What are the big issues?
   146. Good cripple hitter Posted: November 30, 2013 at 04:01 PM (#4607868)

FWIW, it's going to be released for free next month on Playstation Plus.
   147. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: November 30, 2013 at 04:17 PM (#4607873)
I'm not quite as down on Rome Total War II, but there are still a bunch of AI issues to be worked out. Game was simply released 6 months too early. But it's not as broken as, say Sim City is.
   148. Monty Predicts a Padres-Mariners WS in 2016 Posted: November 30, 2013 at 05:07 PM (#4607895)

I didn't enjoy Borderlands 2 at all. I tried two different characters (the ninja-type one and the "gunzerker", but it wasn't fun for me and I quit.
   149. Robert in Manhattan Beach Posted: November 30, 2013 at 05:39 PM (#4607906)
Everyone knows this but the new Super Mario 3D is outrageously good. I picked up a Wii U just to play this game and don't regret a thing. Can't wait for the next Mario Kart. It will be a shame when Nintendo goes under, they can still occasionally really bring it.
   150. Blackadder Posted: November 30, 2013 at 06:35 PM (#4607919)
Everyone knows this but the new Super Mario 3D is outrageously good. I picked up a Wii U just to play this game and don't regret a thing. Can't wait for the next Mario Kart. It will be a shame when Nintendo goes under, they can still occasionally really bring it.

I don't think Nintendo is going to go under any time soon; at worst, they will start making games for Sony. Given that pretty much the only reason to own a Nintendo system is their core first party games, I don't even know how problematic that would be. The Mario Galaxy games were some of my favorite games of the last generation, but I find it hard to justify dropping $300 just to play 3D World, even though I am fully confident that it is, as you say, "outrageously good."
   151. Monty Predicts a Padres-Mariners WS in 2016 Posted: November 30, 2013 at 07:44 PM (#4607932)
Nintendo might drop out of the console market, but I think the 3DS is doing well enough to sustain a company.
   152. Jim Wisinski Posted: November 30, 2013 at 08:08 PM (#4607944)
It will be a shame when Nintendo goes under

Nintendo might drop out of the console market, but I think the 3DS is doing well enough to sustain a company.

The Wii U hasn't been very successful so far but they did release a console last generation that sold 100 million units. It's rather early to declare them on the way out.
   153. flournoy Posted: November 30, 2013 at 08:53 PM (#4607970)
People have been talking about Nintendo going software-only since the late '90s. (That is, people other than Nintendo.) Not gonna happen.
   154. Dan Posted: December 01, 2013 at 01:07 AM (#4608083)
People have been talking about Nintendo going software-only since the late '90s. (That is, people other than Nintendo.) Not gonna happen.

I think it will happen eventually. Mobile phones and tablets developing GPU power beyond the 3DS combined with the vast superiority of PS and Xbox for consoles, plus PC gaming and Steambox will push Nintendo out of the hardware market. If they were to instead make iOS and PS4 games they'd probably be far more profitable.
   155. Swedish Chef Posted: December 01, 2013 at 07:22 AM (#4608115)
Mobile phones and tablets developing GPU power beyond the 3DS combined with the vast superiority of PS and Xbox for consoles, plus PC gaming and Steambox will push Nintendo out of the hardware market.

If PC gaming hasn't done it yet, it's never going to happen. Of course there need to be some hardware catchup from Nintendo's side, and they can't stay totally isolated. But for example, what if Nintendo embraces Android and portable gaming but makes their games exclusive to their own hardware? Best of both worlds.

If they were to instead make iOS and PS4 games they'd probably be far more profitable.

I don't think they would thrive under the race to the bottom that rules at the App Stores. As for PS4, we've yet to see if this generation of consoles will be successful.
   156. The Good Face Posted: December 01, 2013 at 06:59 PM (#4608308)

Any experience with the multiplayer? Heard it was fun but never tried it.

The game is really meant for multiplayer. Single player is adequate, but multiplayer is where the fun lives.
   157. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: December 01, 2013 at 07:12 PM (#4608312)
Wow, really? They've had, what, like 7 rounds of patches by now haven't they? What are the big issues?

Don't get me started.

Though, to be fair, I gave up after about the 5th patch, when they still hadn't fixed the "blob" issue, so maybe it's all puppies and unicorns farting skittles by now ...
   158. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 01, 2013 at 08:46 PM (#4608343)
Though, to be fair, I gave up after about the 5th patch, when they still hadn't fixed the "blob" issue, so maybe it's all puppies and unicorns farting skittles by now ...

I picked up Napoleon: Total War for $5 to tide me over until Rome is ship-shape. I was really looking forward to Rome but I'd rather wait and avoid the initial frustrations, I'm sure to pick it up eventually.

Payday2 is on sale for $13, which I've heard is a heap of fun for multiplayer. You know, maybe for the winter sale next month we Primates should agree on a game or two to purchase and try some multiplayer over the holidays. Hell, if it's something for $5 like L4D2 I'll gift a few copies just to hear y'alls charming voices.
   159. Greg K Posted: December 01, 2013 at 10:53 PM (#4608388)
Payday2 is on sale for $13, which I've heard is a heap of fun for multiplayer. You know, maybe for the winter sale next month we Primates should agree on a game or two to purchase and try some multiplayer over the holidays. Hell, if it's something for $5 like L4D2 I'll gift a few copies just to hear y'alls charming voices.

I'm down for this. I'm dreadful at games that require my brain to move faster than a turtle, but growing up with an older brother has taught me how to enjoy losing at video games.

At the moment my multiplayer options (or I assume you can play multiplayer) on Steam are Civ 5, X-Com, all the Total Wars except the new Rome, is Dead Island multiplayer?
   160. Select Storage Device Posted: December 01, 2013 at 11:05 PM (#4608393)
I think it will happen eventually. Mobile phones and tablets developing GPU power beyond the 3DS combined with the vast superiority of PS and Xbox for consoles, plus PC gaming and Steambox will push Nintendo out of the hardware market.

You are probably right, but tablets and phones still need to evolve to be able to give a more complete gaming experience without the use of clunky, dumb peripherals + the exclusivity of Nintendo's software should keep their handheld business plugging along, provided their console arm doesn't bring the whole thing down.

161. Darkness and the howling fantods Posted: December 01, 2013 at 11:24 PM (#4608400)
Sorry if this has already been covered here, but is the brave new world dlc for Civ V worth picking up for $10?
   162. Greg K Posted: December 01, 2013 at 11:37 PM (#4608406)
Sorry if this has already been covered here, but is the brave new world dlc for Civ V worth picking up for $10?

I'd say yes. Lots of cool new stuff, the diplomatic system has much more going on and is funner to play. Culture victory is a lot more dynamic rather than a race to fill up trees. The new trade system is a bit hit and miss...I like the concept but the re-sending out of caravans and trade ships feels a bit like caretaking after a while.

A steal at 10 bucks in my books.
   163. Maxwn Posted: December 02, 2013 at 01:33 AM (#4608434)
I also say yes to brave new world. its a much better game now than it was at release. and I still played the hell out of then.
   164. IronChef Chris Wok Posted: December 02, 2013 at 02:33 AM (#4608439)
PAYDAY 2 IS FUN!!!
   165. Poster Nutbag Posted: December 02, 2013 at 04:30 AM (#4608448)
I would love to do a CIV V multiplayer with some folks here if anyone is ever interested. The whole thing is made easier by grabbing the Giant Multiplayer Robot app via the web. Only problem is that everyone would need to have the same DLC installed as far as BNW and G&K and such.
   166. Poster Nutbag Posted: December 02, 2013 at 04:32 AM (#4608449)
Greg - A little late back to the thread, but as a reply to 91, I actually enjoy Omertà and the combat is similar to that of XCOM.
   167. Poster Nutbag Posted: December 02, 2013 at 06:53 AM (#4608453)
Oh, one more thing: ALWAYS check out Amazon this time of the year for insane deals and bundles. Like this one
Paradox Grand Strategy Bundle
   168. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 02, 2013 at 09:56 AM (#4608471)
PAYDAY 2 IS FUN!!!

I bit the bullet and ordered it yesterday. Something funny though, I messaged several of my Steam friends who I play L4D2 with to ask if they wanted to try this out, since it's based on a similar 4-man tactical co-op model, and one of them wrote me back saying he couldn't play Payday because the gameplay is entirely focused on killing cops. I don't know if that's true or not since I haven't played it, but this same guy is a murderous fiend when it comes to eating human brains with his zombie avatars. And it doesn't matter if that human is a veteran, a good ol' boy, a high school football coach, or one of two women!
   169. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 02, 2013 at 10:02 AM (#4608477)
I'm down for this. I'm dreadful at games that require my brain to move faster than a turtle, but growing up with an older brother has taught me how to enjoy losing at video games.

At the moment my multiplayer options (or I assume you can play multiplayer) on Steam are Civ 5, X-Com, all the Total Wars except the new Rome, is Dead Island multiplayer?

I have Medieval (2) and Napoleon Total Wars installed right now. Dead Island does have a multiplayer that I have no experience with, but it was on sale for $5 the other day and will surely be on sale for $5 during the Steam Winter Sale if it doesn't come up again before the end of the current sale tomorrow. Also according to TGF in 156 Borderlands 2 is a fun multiplayer romp, that was a whole $7.50 and I think is still on sale at that price until 1PM today.
   170. formerly dp Posted: December 02, 2013 at 10:56 AM (#4608493)
I'll give a thumbs up to Civ 5/BNW. The expansion added a lot to the game.
   171. Greg K Posted: December 02, 2013 at 11:55 AM (#4608541)
Greg - A little late back to the thread, but as a reply to 91, I actually enjoy Omertà and the combat is similar to that of XCOM.

Thanks, I'll look it up.

And a Civ 5 Brave New World multiplayer game would make my day (week/month/year).
   172. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 02, 2013 at 12:38 PM (#4608602)
How long to Civ multiplayer games last?
   173. Greg K Posted: December 02, 2013 at 12:53 PM (#4608617)
How long to Civ multiplayer games last?

Can depend. I have a regular session with a friend of mine who comes over to play local area. We pushed through a 13 hour session one Saturday to finish a game in one go. Usually we are less insane and split it up into sessions. But you can set all sorts of game paces. The one or two times I've played internet games they usually set them to last a couple hours.

I'm told the new expansion pack allows for games that take place over time...a couple hours on a Saturday, then you pick up where you left off next weekend.

To get the real Civ experience I'd recommend playing on an "Epic" pace...not the longest, but still slow enough to get a feel for the civilization you're building. But that would necessitate a few sessions...maybe more of a commitment than one can give an online gaming experience. Maybe a quick two hour game one weekend to ease into it would be better?

EDIT: I've never played Total War multiplayer, is it the same as the campaign game? Or do you pick a battle? I'd be up for that too...so long as you don't mind an easy win. I have a lot of fun with the Total War battles, but I am absolutely horrid at them. Real-time is far too fast for me and I end up losing control of my men really fast.
   174. IronChef Chris Wok Posted: December 02, 2013 at 01:00 PM (#4608624)
I bit the bullet and ordered it yesterday. Something funny though, I messaged several of my Steam friends who I play L4D2 with to ask if they wanted to try this out, since it's based on a similar 4-man tactical co-op model, and one of them wrote me back saying he couldn't play Payday because the gameplay is entirely focused on killing cops. I don't know if that's true or not since I haven't played it, but this same guy is a murderous fiend when it comes to eating human brains with his zombie avatars. And it doesn't matter if that human is a veteran, a good ol' boy, a high school football coach, or one of two women!

Gameplay is based on killin' cops.
   175. Poster Nutbag Posted: December 02, 2013 at 03:19 PM (#4608797)
For Civ multiplayer, there is a "hot seat" option that the Giant Multiplayer Robot uses. Multiplayer games can last a long as the participants wish. Generally, there's a set time limit (which an be hours or days, whatever works to accommodate everyone playing in their own free time) to complete your moves when your turn comes up. This way, it is NOT necessary for all of the players to be actively online at the same time. It's a ton of fun to play this way an I encourage any and all of you interested to check it out. I'd be more than happy to host a game of we have any players interested.
   176. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 02, 2013 at 03:39 PM (#4608822)
Oooh, I see Age of Empires II HD has just been added to today's Steam sale. I played the heck out of that back during the Clinton Years, anyone care to risk $5 to meet my Mongol hordes on the field? I think AOEII supports up to 8 players.
   177. formerly dp Posted: December 02, 2013 at 04:26 PM (#4608863)
I see Age of Empires II HD has just been added to today's Steam sale.
Along with The Stanley Parable, considering snagging that.
   178. Poster Nutbag Posted: December 02, 2013 at 04:56 PM (#4608906)
Definitely grabbing The Stanley Parable as well. Enjoyed the demo quite a bit and can't wait to see what the whole experience has to offer!
I also picke up State Of Decay when it was $10, has anyone given that title a go yet?
   179. Poster Nutbag Posted: December 02, 2013 at 05:11 PM (#4608933)
Greg - Omertà and it's DLC are 75% off at GreenManGaming today.
   180. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 02, 2013 at 05:34 PM (#4608964)
Gameplay is based on killin' cops.

So are my favorite Ice Cube videos. I don't judge beforehand.
   181. Lassus Posted: December 02, 2013 at 09:08 PM (#4609095)
Is this where I can come complain about Stephenson's idiot CLANG mess ####### up his writing schedule?

Stupid gamers.
   182. TFTIO is familiar with the work of Pablo Neruda Posted: December 02, 2013 at 09:23 PM (#4609096)
Boy, that's not what I think of when I hear "clang". Although, anything that keeps Stephenson from writing books is fine by me.
   183. Monty Predicts a Padres-Mariners WS in 2016 Posted: December 02, 2013 at 09:45 PM (#4609106)
I feel like Neal Stephenson writes fast enough that if he really wanted to, he could turn out a book while also doing whatever it was that CLANG was supposed to be.
   184. Graham & the 15-win "ARod Vortex of suck" Posted: December 02, 2013 at 11:19 PM (#4609184)
I just switched back to Windows after several years using Mac. I've always played OOTP, but now that DMB is an option again, I'm considering trying DMB instead. How is DMB better than OOTP and how is it worse?
   185. Chicago Joe Posted: December 03, 2013 at 12:29 AM (#4609234)
Just picked up AOEII plus an expansion I didn't know existed!

Wanted to also thank you guys for this discussion....I'm a less active gamer than I once was, but it's nice to hear about this stuff still.
   186. hokieneer Posted: December 04, 2013 at 02:17 AM (#4610259)

Sounds like fun. I'd probably have time for that in small doses, but no entire day 4x mp sessions. I only have a 5770 GPU, so anything to intense would likely cause me issues.

Someone mentioned Borderlands 2 above, it's a perfect game for coop. I played both of vanilla's playthrus + side missions exclusively in 3-4 man parties. Generally loot based games work well with coop mechanics because: more players, harder enemies, more challenging/memorable adventures, better loot, friendly competition over drops, min/maxing, etc. Throw in FPS mechanics, some light character building, and a game that doesn't take itself seriously; and it goes to another level.
   187. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: December 04, 2013 at 10:31 PM (#4610882)
With the Radious mods, Rome Total War II improves greatly (get them on Steam Workshop, should just need the big one)
   188. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 04, 2013 at 10:47 PM (#4610888)
Someone mentioned Borderlands 2 above, it's a perfect game for coop.

Well I'll be around in the evenings this weekend, if you and TGF care to give this a whirl.
   189. Moe Greene Posted: December 06, 2013 at 07:47 PM (#4612654)
Since Crusader Kings 2 pops up in this thread every so often...

CK2 and its DLC's (excepting the most recent round with the Sons of Abraham release) are currently 75% off on Steam. I'll be catching on up DLC. And it's a great time to buy the game!
   190. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 07, 2013 at 11:43 AM (#4612955)
Anyone wants to take a crack at Bordernlands 2 Co-op this evening (or L4D2, or TF2, or whatever I have that's multiplayer) look up ol' YR on Steam under his handle, "Party With Nixon!"
   191. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: December 07, 2013 at 12:24 PM (#4612988)
Hmm. I might, YR. I haven't played Borderlands 2 in ages, though. Really enjoyed it when I did, and I don't want to burn myself out on the new Football Manager.
   192. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: December 07, 2013 at 05:01 PM (#4613144)
I don't want to burn myself out on the new Football Manager.

That's unpossible.
   193. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 07, 2013 at 07:39 PM (#4613197)
Hmm. I might, YR. I haven't played Borderlands 2 in ages, though.

Well I jut purchased it last week and only installed it today, so no matter how rusty you are I'll still need you to shepherd me through it. If ya wanna fire it up you know how to find me.
   194. Poster Nutbag Posted: December 07, 2013 at 08:46 PM (#4613224)
YR - I might take you up on that when I get in...I haven't even installed it yet but enjoyed the first so maybe tonight is the night to give it a whirl. Keep an eye out for pstrnutbag44!
   195. Poster Nutbag Posted: December 08, 2013 at 05:07 PM (#4613704)
Thanks again YR! I clearly am in need of some practice, te rust is painfully obvious. Aside from battlefield 3, I haven't played much in the way of shooters in years, but I had some fun!
   196. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 12, 2013 at 12:48 PM (#4616692)
PosterNutbag shot me in the ass. Let the record reflect my displeasure.

For the rest of you with even a passing interest in some of the best RPG's of all-time, the kindly elves at GOG.com are GIVING AWAY free copies of Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, both outstanding run isometric RPGs with great storytelling and lots of ways to successfully play through. Because they're more than a decade old I doubt there's a PC out there capable of posting on BBTF that won't run these just fine, so no excuses, get downloadin'!
   197. hokieneer Posted: December 12, 2013 at 01:00 PM (#4616717)
Came here o share the link YR did in #196

Expect some not too friendly checkout service from gog.com. I've been trying to collect my games for about 20 minutes. Apparently their servers are hammered.

I suppose I'm going to have to pick up the PC version of Borderlands 2 to play with the BBTF crew.
   198. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 12, 2013 at 01:15 PM (#4616736)
I suppose I'm going to have to pick up the PC version of Borderlands 2 to play with the BBTF crew.

Steam Winter Sale next week, I paid $7.50 for my copy during their previous sale, I bet if you're diligent you can get it for $5 since this is one of Valve's "Big 2" sales events. I wouldn't be opposed to buying a 4-pack of a reasonably-priced online game, either Borderlands 2 or something else, for sharing with my BBTF brethren if there was interest.

Keep an eye on Post Nutbag though, he'll totally shoot you in the ass and then blame lag.
   199. Poster Nutbag Posted: December 12, 2013 at 02:22 PM (#4616803)
I will....but it's my years of inexperience, not the lag.... ;-)

Also, BL 2 is still on sale over at Amazon (I think) and there's a great BL1/BL2 combo for sale.
For you budget gamers, also keep an eye on sites all over the web: Greenmangaming often has great deals as does GamersGate.
Get Games Go also does great deals, today's deal is Dishonored (and it's DLC) for $12.39.
Gamefly and Gamestop also run fantastic deals.
Happy gaming and happy holidays!
   200. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: December 12, 2013 at 02:31 PM (#4616812)
Well ####, I now have 4 games to play between Dishonored and the early Fallouts. Thanks for the heads up!
Page 2 of 9 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BarrysLazyBoy
for his generous support.