Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, September 27, 2013

OT: NBC.news: Valve isn’t making one gaming console, but multiple ‘Steam machines’

Valve therefore left open the possibility that whatever Steam Machines eventually make it to market next year could either be first- or third-party hardware. The company is putting out invitations for 300 Steam users to participate in a beta test they must qualify for by completing an “eligibility quest” that involves familiarizing themselves with Steam’s current features.

The other gaming thread died. Here’s a new one for those interested. I figured Steam looking for Beta Testers made for a good lead-in.

Happy Gaming!

Poster Nutbag Posted: September 27, 2013 at 05:34 PM | 1186 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: ot

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 6 of 12 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›
   501. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 21, 2014 at 08:34 AM (#4732135)
It's why I have over 200 hours in PinballFX2. The games take about 15-20 minutes (though one epic run on a table lasted over an hour), and there is no memory/history required from the last game. It's hard to play something like XCom, Mass Effect, or Crusader Kings II if you can only get 15 minutes at a time, or a longer period at best once every 7-10 days.

I love RPGs but the intrusions of modern adult life mean I typically can't play anything involved for several days at a time, and as a result I completely lose track of what the hell is going on with plot, history, and purpose in short order. I never even finished Skyrim, and I have about 6 different started characters.

I made a post to the BBTF Steam Group, let's collectively decide on a cheap game that we all want to give a whirl and get to it!
   502. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 21, 2014 at 08:35 AM (#4732136)
double post, derp derp derp-
   503. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: June 21, 2014 at 08:52 AM (#4732141)
what's not to...$32?????

Ok ... I can admit it ... I totally broke down and bought it because I suffered a traumatic combination of kickstarter guilt and envy in not being able to get in early on Star Citizen and Shroud of the Avatar.

So far it seems good, but I'm very, very confused (welcome to the world of beta, I suppose) ...
   504. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: June 21, 2014 at 11:30 AM (#4732177)
I commend you on your taste in emulators. I don't suppose you ever got around to playing Gothic 4 so I won't ask you if it was any good.

I haven't played any of the Gothic series!
   505. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: June 21, 2014 at 11:31 AM (#4732178)
I have so far managed to avoid this particular trap. But based on recent experiences with my 9 year old nephew, I am under the impression that being a parent is basically listening to "Everything is awesome, everything is cool when you're part of the team" on a 24 hour infinite loop.

C'mon man, just Let it Go!

verything is awesome, everything is cool when you're part of the team

Clearly written by someone that's not a fan of the Diamondbacks or Phillies.
   506. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: June 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM (#4732180)
Hey Dan,

What's "Air Conflicts Pacific Carriers" on your dropdown?

Is it similar to a SSI/SSG type strategy game, or is it an action/simulator game?
   507. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: June 21, 2014 at 12:49 PM (#4732208)
What's "Air Conflicts Pacific Carriers" on your dropdown?

I have played that one!

It's just a little arcade-y sim game. Think I got it as part of a Humble Bundle. Diverting, but nothing world-beating.
   508. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 21, 2014 at 02:27 PM (#4732265)
OK zack, I was so concerned about you possibility that being below Steam Level 8 might make me miss out on a freebie during the sale that I blew 33 cents in the Steam Market to buy cards and craft a L4D2 badge. For my trouble I received a game-specific emoticon. I assume this is the Steam equivalent of horse armor for Oblivion.
   509. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: June 21, 2014 at 02:30 PM (#4732267)
Clearly written by someone that's not a fan of the Diamondbacks or Phillies.

Don't know about that. Being on the Phillies seems to mean you are automatically pair about three times as much as you should be. I would think that was a pretty awesome team to be on...
   510. Jim Wisinski Posted: June 21, 2014 at 02:32 PM (#4732270)
I've just been playing a lot of Hearthstone. Like, way too much. Between beating Borderlands 2 and starting to work almost every Saturday (meaning early to be on Friday nights and no BBTF game) I stopped playing that. I'd like to get back into it sometime though since I bought the GOTY addition with all the add-ons and ought to get some value out of it.
   511. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 21, 2014 at 02:37 PM (#4732271)
I commend you on your taste in emulators. I don't suppose you ever got around to playing Gothic 4 so I won't ask you if it was any good.

I haven't played any of the Gothic series!

Saving them up for a depraved bingefest of ultra-German RPGs are ya?

I loved Gothic 2, it was *hard*, a throwback to the old RPGs that didn't hold your hand. You want on-screen markers to guide you to your next objective? #####, you ain't even gettin' a minimap. Take this on-screen paper map that you can pull out and stare at and try to orient yourself by if you can locate any recognizable landmarks. I liked Gothic 2 better than the far more heralded Oblivion.

Gothic 3 was released about a year too early and was a buggy mess, I never came back to the series.
   512. caprules Posted: June 21, 2014 at 07:30 PM (#4732484)
Love Hearthstone. Played Arena and got my first orange card as reward just recently. Warlock is super fun to play. Shaman with the right draws can overpower quickly. I have a Paladin deck that is ok, but super defensive and slow to win.

Hunter seems like it could be a great class if I can get the right mix.
   513. Jim Wisinski Posted: June 21, 2014 at 11:59 PM (#4732562)
I hope it wasn't Millhouse!

I play Druid the most though I hit level 60 and the golden hero last month so I'm trying to play it less so I get somewhere with other classes. I need to get Warrior and Rogue leveled all the way up so I can have golden Sen'jins, Yetis, and Oozes. I also have a Mage deck that I run occasionally. I've been trying to play more Arena lately too, that's going...ok.

Edit: Plus I bring out Randuin Wrynn for the fun of it sometimes.
   514. Poster Nutbag Posted: June 22, 2014 at 03:17 AM (#4732587)
I loved Gothic 2, it was *hard*, a throwback to the old RPGs that didn't hold your hand. You want on-screen markers to guide you to your next objective? #####, you ain't even gettin' a minimap.

This brings me way back to the first time I played the original Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord when I was young.....good times.....
   515. Langer Monk Posted: June 22, 2014 at 11:06 AM (#4732634)
For those of you that downloaded Mount&Blade; - have you tried the Game of Thrones mod for Warband yet (A Clash of Kings)? Downloading it now, but won't try it out until after today's World Cup action.
   516. zack Posted: June 22, 2014 at 11:33 AM (#4732644)

For those of you that downloaded Mount&Blade; - have you tried the Game of Thrones mod for Warband yet (A Clash of Kings)? Downloading it now, but won't try it out until after today's World Cup action.

No, but I've heard several places that the vanilla version is kind of broken, so I plan on trying some of the mods. I am so lost as to what to do in the game, other than run around stabbing looters in the face with my boar spear.

OK zack, I was so concerned about you possibility that being below Steam Level 8 might make me miss out on a freebie during the sale

Hope I didn't make you waste a third of a dollar. I wasn't talking about free games*, but all the cards and items and crap like that that are part of the sale metagame. Well and to get the wishlist prize for your team winning, but the probability of that is so vanishingly small as to pointless.

Speaking of, if you look at the team points thing, you'll see a bunch of 'stolen' points. In order to steal points you have to buy an item with real money. There are people out there spending hundreds of dollars to steal virtual points for the remote chance of winning $40 worth of games. At what point does this stuff become questionably moral? Not that I think gambling should be illegal or anything, but it can be seriously ###### up for people that can't control themselves.

*Does Steam do that? I've gotten a few freebies from GoG, but I've not seen it from Steam and I follow the sales pretty closely.
   517. Langer Monk Posted: June 22, 2014 at 11:42 AM (#4732645)
All I've figured out is do stuff to be able to finally join a faction. Then you can start taking over villages. But mostly, smacking soldiers from the top of a horse.
   518. zack Posted: June 22, 2014 at 12:38 PM (#4732669)
All I've figured out is do stuff to be able to finally join a faction

Did you actually join or just take mercenary work (I think that's what it's called)? I've been thinking about the latter but don't really know what it entails.

Right now I just need to find a stable source of income. So far my army is supported entirely by my betting heavily on myself in tournaments, which with the default settings to easy are winnable with patience. They mostly consist of riding exactly like this.
   519. Langer Monk Posted: June 22, 2014 at 01:23 PM (#4732685)
Oh, Mercenary work - it's given me a break on weekly wages. Means you can also start fighting against actual factions. I beat some stupid count (yeah, with an 'o'). Won a tournament to get into a feast, to meet a lady. I was going to attempt attacking or looting or whatever options there are to try to retake a village. A bit more interesting than trying to find looters and deserters and bandits. Figured out too you can hire the named guys you find in taverns as 'heroes'. Not 100% on what that means yet.
   520. President of the David Eckstein Fan Club Posted: June 22, 2014 at 01:38 PM (#4732699)
Witcher 2, Far Cry 3, Wolf Among Us, Walking Dead Season 2 and Borderlands 2 for about $40 total. Bless you, Summer Sale.
   521. Poster Nutbag Posted: June 22, 2014 at 02:41 PM (#4732743)
*Does Steam do that? I've gotten a few freebies from GoG, but I've not seen it from Steam and I follow the sales pretty closely.

They have some decent Free-To-Play stuff (Cry of Fear was good), but also they gave away free copies of Sniper Elite V.2 just a week or two ago and gave away L4D2 last Halloween.
   522. zack Posted: June 22, 2014 at 05:50 PM (#4732871)
Figured out too you can hire the named guys you find in taverns as 'heroes'. Not 100% on what that means yet.

I think the main purpose is that you can use their skills as your own. So I hired a guy who was a decent trader, that means when I do the 'assess prices' thing it uses his skills. And a girl that's a tracker, so she has really good spotting and tracking.

They also fight in your battles, and I've seen them get knocked unconscious a lot, so not sure if they can't die or I was just lucky. Also I stole one guys' horse in the equipment menu, it was a lot nicer than my starter.

They have some decent Free-To-Play stuff (Cry of Fear was good), but also they gave away free copies of Sniper Elite V.2 just a week or two ago and gave away L4D2 last Halloween.

The L4D was more what I was wondering about. F2P games aren't really 'free', as I think we've discussed before, they're inherently compromised (though some games manage to keep the compromises small, like TF2). Sniper Elite I think the publisher just gave away because it was crap.
   523. Poster Nutbag Posted: June 22, 2014 at 07:09 PM (#4732975)
Here is the list of Freebies/Temp. Freebies from GOG. Most of them required a seperate purchase, but there have been a few free games given. None of them are really all that great either.
   524. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 23, 2014 at 07:52 AM (#4733305)

Tried it out last night and generally enjoyed it. One of the things that I didn't care for in the vanilla version of the game was the factions and how they interrelated, I just couldn't keep track of the different groups and their various beefs. That isn't an issue once the CoK mod is installed.

Hey, isn't the world map upside down???
   525. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 23, 2014 at 09:47 AM (#4733379)
There's 3+ hours left until they restock the buffet, but for now you might want to check out the following offerings:

- Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a proper spiritual successor to the original Deus Ex in that it allows you lots of customization and various paths to complete missions. Cyberpunky goodness, I liked it and it's only $5!

- Borderlands 2 for $5. Come join the cool kids, it's one of only two authorized BBTF Steam Group games! Plus you get to kill a guy named Fleshstick, who hasn't wanted to do that?

- The new Tomb Raider. Looks good, haven't played it but I was never that into the series. Reviews are very positive and it's only another $5, that's just a few long red lights of panhandling at a good intersection!

- Dead Island, co-op zombie-kicking goodness with craftable kludge weapons (electrified spiked clubs!) and all sorts of general mayhem. I'm hoping more folks around here pick this up so we can try and get a co-op game going. Only $5!

- Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition. Better than Fallout! For all your post-apocalyptic FPS RPGing needs, only $6.79!

- Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning. $5. Because Curt Schilling really needs your money. C'mon guys. $5.
   526. Random Transaction Generator Posted: June 23, 2014 at 10:02 AM (#4733396)
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a proper spiritual successor to the original Deus Ex in that it allows you lots of customization and various paths to complete missions. Cyberpunky goodness, I liked it and it's only $5!

I second this selection.
I picked it up a while back and it's one of the games I powered through before the baby/job came. It was a blast, and so far the only FPS that I've actively attempted to sneak through areas instead of run-and-gun.
For that price, you have to get it.
   527. The Good Face Posted: June 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM (#4733479)
M&B: Warband is the greatest and best of the M&B games and the only one you really ought concern yourself with. It also has the most and best mods available.

The named guys you can hire in taverns are Companions; you can take advantage of their skills for your party, so you don't have to put your precious points into stuff like surgery, pathfinding, engineering, etc. They are immortal, and can't be killed, only knocked unconscious. Also, you have total control over how they level up and what they wear. Some of them can become real wrecking machines if you pimp them out in good gear. Just FYI, they don't all get along with each other, so you can't just hire and keep every guy you find.

My personal favorite mod for Warband is Prophecy of Pendor, a total conversion with a new map, new factions, new quests, new Companions, new plot, etc. It's REALLY good, and will probably wind up sucking hundreds of hours of your life as you attempt to become King of Pendor.

Also, Kingdoms of Amalur for $5 bucks is a good deal. Aside from all the Curt Schilling nonsense, it's a really good action RPG with a TON of gameplay.
   528. Langer Monk Posted: June 23, 2014 at 04:59 PM (#4733905)
Hey, isn't the world map upside down???

I think I read that the creator of the mod said, Yep, I screwed up, the map is upside down.

So far though for CoK mod, it seems way harder to make money, so I rode north and became a retainer in Robb Stark's party, only to not be able to get out yet, plus a strange bug where anytime I want to talk to my commander, I start talking to myself.
   529. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 23, 2014 at 08:32 PM (#4734064)
My personal favorite mod for Warband is Prophecy of Pendor, a total conversion with a new map, new factions, new quests, new Companions, new plot, etc. It's REALLY good, and will probably wind up sucking hundreds of hours of your life as you attempt to become King of Pendor.

I saw on the Mount & Blade Nexus that this was the #1 most endorsed mod, I downloaded it but haven't played yet, your person recommendation is appreciated.
   530. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 23, 2014 at 08:34 PM (#4734065)
I think I read that the creator of the mod said, Yep, I screwed up, the map is upside down.

I have to pretend I'm an Australian playing the game. Makes me nuts, Winterfell in the South, the Iron Islands off the east coast, how can you screw up something so easily verifiable and important? Robb Stark, King of the South, he might as well be Jerry Lawler.
   531. Langer Monk Posted: June 23, 2014 at 09:20 PM (#4734080)
Not to mention Westeros is in the east and Essos in the west. Makes you think the entire population just has no common sense - seasons don't last for years, they just morons.

I'll have to check out the Pendor one too.
   532. zack Posted: June 23, 2014 at 10:10 PM (#4734102)
Isn't the map in M&B rotatable? I found that out by accident.

Probably gonna pick up Just Cause 2 from the community deals, been meaning to awhile but only recently got around to upgrading from XP.
   533. Poster Nutbag Posted: June 24, 2014 at 05:54 AM (#4734172)
Attn Late Night/Early Morning lurkers/posters/gamers: Vote in the Community Choice sale and get OOTP 15 for $10 (if it wins)!!!!
That is WAY too good of a deal to miss!
   534. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 24, 2014 at 07:29 AM (#4734181)
Isn't the map in M&B rotatable? I found that out by accident.

What did you do? I couldn't figure it out.

Attn Late Night/Early Morning lurkers/posters/gamers: Vote in the Community Choice sale and get OOTP 15 for $10 (if it wins)!!!!

Vote cast.

Anyone have any experience with "Insurgency"? Heard it was a good team-based shooter, $6.75.
   535. Langer Monk Posted: June 24, 2014 at 08:37 AM (#4734191)
The map spins if you put your cursor over to one side or the other.
   536. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 24, 2014 at 09:21 AM (#4734214)
Thanks Mr. Monk *tips fedora*

I notice none of you tools have comments on our BBTF Steam group since the sale started. Shame on you all!
   537. formerly dp Posted: June 24, 2014 at 09:54 AM (#4734241)
Haven't had time to play a lot recently, but did cast a vote for OOTP...!
   538. Randy Jones Posted: June 24, 2014 at 09:59 AM (#4734243)
There is a BBTF steam group?

Also, you should all buy FTL if you don't already have it. Great little game and good for people who can't commit large amounts of time.
   539. Obo Posted: June 24, 2014 at 10:33 AM (#4734265)
I notice none of you tools have comments on our BBTF Steam group since the sale started. Shame on you all!

There you go. Any suggestions?
   540. zack Posted: June 24, 2014 at 11:41 AM (#4734317)
FTL is great, and the advanced version (which is included free with the original release) makes it even more greater.

As RJ says, even an extremely long game won't last much more than 90 minutes, but I've put almost 200 hours into it and unlocked all the ships. It might seem 'too hard' at first, but trust me when I say that is only because it is balanced very well for the experienced player, and if it weren't balanced that way it would offer about 20 minutes of entertainment before it got old. But it is not that difficult once you understand the mechanics, I once managed to win 5 times in a row with 5 different ships. Also, unlike most games you actually want to start playing on easy.

Definitely pick it up if you haven't already.
   541. formerly dp Posted: June 24, 2014 at 01:25 PM (#4734430)
OOTP loses the community vote :<
   542. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 24, 2014 at 09:16 PM (#4734938)
Langer Monk proposes Magicka at $5 a head on our Steam group page. Looks like Torchlight/Titan Quest, should be fun for 4 players.
   543. Randy Jones Posted: June 24, 2014 at 09:40 PM (#4734949)
Looking at the daily deals, Torchlight II for $4.99 and Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons for $2.99 stand out. Both excellent games and easily worth those prices.
   544. zack Posted: June 24, 2014 at 09:55 PM (#4734955)
Magicka is stupid fun. Well, stupid and fun. And stupid fun. Single player is nothing, but "accidentally" killing each other in co-op is hilarious. It's probably worth $5 though I feel iffy about that because I got it as part of a humble bundle.

Torchlight I was free on GoG for a couple hours earlier, but isn't anymore. Omerta I was also free this morning, so it might be worth checking in on that occasionally.
   545. hokieneer Posted: June 24, 2014 at 10:06 PM (#4734958)
Hello my name is hokienner and I'm a casual gamer.

There is no pretending otherwise anymore. There was a point in my life where I had more time to devote to the video arts, but that's not now. Case in point I purchased South Park week after launch and I'm just now at the end of it. It's been the only game I've played in that span. I've tried very hard to stop myself from spending money during this gog & steam sale like I tend to do, because I know I'll never get around to playing 10% of what I purchase.

All that being said, the Shadow Warrior remake is $7.99 on gog, and it looks like a lot of fun. Has anyone tried it out?

546. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 25, 2014 at 06:46 AM (#4735070)
Magicka is now on sale for $2.50, a price even Jeffrey Loria can afford. I'm in.
   547. Random Transaction Generator Posted: June 25, 2014 at 08:14 AM (#4735078)
One of the last games I had a chance to play with four people co-op was Magicka and it was, as zack says in #544, stupid fun.
Everything would be going great, and then someone one would "accidentally" trigger an electricity spell while everyone else is using water/steam and zzzzzot!

The only issue is that you'd tend to lock into a specific spell combo and use it over and over again.
   548. CrosbyBird Posted: June 25, 2014 at 08:20 AM (#4735080)
Steam has been woefully neglected since both Xbox Live and PSN started offering free games every month.
   549. hokieneer Posted: June 25, 2014 at 08:35 AM (#4735081)
Castle Crashers is only a $1.49. I played that on a friend's PS3 a year or so ago, and it's also a lot of fun. Very reminiscent of dropping quarters in the arcade in the late 80s early 90s.

I'm in for Magicka and Castle Crashers and maybe Torchlight II. Dammnit steam just take my money on games I don't need!
   550. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 25, 2014 at 09:39 AM (#4735117)
Steam has been woefully neglected since both Xbox Live and PSN started offering free games every month.

Filthy console peasant.
   551. Randy Jones Posted: June 25, 2014 at 09:49 AM (#4735119)
Not a fan of Magicka. I bought it when it came out and it is just ok. Awesome concept, but poor implementation.
   552. hokieneer Posted: June 25, 2014 at 10:03 AM (#4735123)

Filthy console peasant.

Different business models. Steam sells discounted games. PSN and XBox Live are software as a service, you are essentially renting the games from Sony/MS. Sony's idea of discounted games is marking The Last of Us down from $39.99 to $35.99.

I like both, and use them for different purposes. I'll take my discounted rental of Bioshock Infinite or NBA2K14 from PSN, and take my discounts from Steam on games that Sony is never going to offer for "free".
   553. CrosbyBird Posted: June 25, 2014 at 11:12 AM (#4735155)
Different business models. Steam sells discounted games. PSN and XBox Live are software as a service, you are essentially renting the games from Sony/MS. Sony's idea of discounted games is marking The Last of Us down from $39.99 to $35.99.

My favorite games tend to be story-dependent and often are one-and-done.

I'm probably about 80% Xbox 360/Xbox One, 15% PS3, and 5% PC. But I recently got the full Skyrim so the PC might dominate for a while.
   554. Swedish Chef Posted: June 25, 2014 at 11:14 AM (#4735156)
Oops, wrong thread

Hey, lets write something about gaming instead. Except that I don't play any games now, because I'm saving myself for Civilization: Beyond Earth.
   555. Obo Posted: June 25, 2014 at 11:15 AM (#4735157)
Castle Crashers sounded like it might be fun so I grabbed a 4-pack at 90% off. As a result I have 3 spares so if anyone feels like joining in on multiplayer and missed the sale (just under 2 hours left) just let me know on steam or post in the group discussion there.
   556. hokieneer Posted: June 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM (#4735166)

I'm probably about 80% Xbox 360/Xbox One, 15% PS3, and 5% PC. But I recently got the full Skyrim so the PC might dominate for a while.

I bounce between narrative games and more complex/involved games. After I play through FTL a few times, spend a month or so in Path of Exile, play borderlands, etc; I'll get sucked into a one and done game on the console.
   557. zack Posted: June 25, 2014 at 11:46 AM (#4735171)

Ur doin it rong.
   558. formerly dp Posted: June 25, 2014 at 12:37 PM (#4735230)
Anyone play Wasteland 2 yet? DL'd the beta last weekend but haven't had the chance to jump in yet. Early returns are looking good.
   559. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 25, 2014 at 12:58 PM (#4735244)
I'd love to try out Wasteland 2 but that goes for half-a-dozen other early release betas out there. I like what I've seen though.
   560. Poster Nutbag Posted: June 25, 2014 at 03:34 PM (#4735437)
Castle Crashers was pretty fun on Xbox, I'd imagine it is here too. I might have to get that if/when it swings around on a flash sale again. Magicka seems like it'd be WAY more fun Multiplayer, I can''t wait to give that on a spin. I've had it for quite some time, but no group to play it with. I also grabbed M&B: Warband and also a little gem called Noir Syndrome.

I need my vacation to get stated already!!!!! Just gotta make it through the week (hopefully!).
   561. CrosbyBird Posted: June 25, 2014 at 03:53 PM (#4735479)
I did a kickstarter that includes WL2. I'm playing Skyrim now so I might just wait until the regular release drops.

I think the big shift to console (I was a relatively late adopter) was when I started playing more FPSs. I know there's more precision with mouse and keyboard but I find it really uncomfortable for twitch games. If a game releases on PC and console, I almost always enjoy the console version better. Especially if the game has mediocre sound; then I turn on subs and play music through my PC.

FTL is fantastic.
   562. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 25, 2014 at 06:44 PM (#4735737)
The daily buffet includes big-name AAA titles like Bioshock Infinite ($7.50) and Batman Arkham Origins ($7.50) but I'm really tempted by two less-heralded but well-regarded titles on sale: Banner Saga and Child of Light. Anyone familiar with either of these?
   563. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: June 25, 2014 at 06:49 PM (#4735748)
Banner Saga is pretty neat if yo like TBS. Got a nice little story, with a graphicy novel kinda feel to it.

Combat is a bit repetitive and shallow, and the graphics are fairly low key. But definitely worth a spin if you can pick it up cheap.
   564. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: June 26, 2014 at 12:22 AM (#4735949)
Anyone's who building in the near future, this is a really sick deal;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131569

R9 290 for $429.99 with $30 rebate and a free 250 GB Samsung EVO SSD drive (which is running $120-$130). Plus the usual AMD free games (3 of them this time).
   565. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2014 at 07:37 AM (#4736001)
That is a great deal. I'm telling ya, once you go SSD you will never EVVVVVER want to have any other storage on your rig. Sure, I miss the Windows bootup screen sometimes, we became old friends over the years, but it's a price I was willing to pay.
   566. hokieneer Posted: June 26, 2014 at 09:49 AM (#4736116)
Stayed up too late to finish up South Park: Stick of Truth last night. It's a very fun game. They really executed the feel of a south park episode: in humor, dialog, plot, pacing, etc. The combat/gameplay was very solid and I really liked the addition interactive elements to the standard menu selection action of turned based games. The game was too easy though. After about halfway through it there was no battle that I was afraid of, or that I had to really develop anything resembling a strategy for. The enemy variety was also very limited. I had about 13 hours into it, that's including a fair amount of side stuff, but not 100%.
   567. The Good Face Posted: June 26, 2014 at 10:34 AM (#4736179)
The daily buffet includes big-name AAA titles like Bioshock Infinite ($7.50) and Batman Arkham Origins ($7.50) but I'm really tempted by two less-heralded but well-regarded titles on sale: Banner Saga and Child of Light. Anyone familiar with either of these?

Banner Saga is a bit of a hot mess. At times it feels unfinished, like it's just an extended demo, and the combat is sort of meh and repetitive. The graphics can be beautiful, and the concept is pretty cool though; the gods have died and TEH ####### SUN has stopped moving in the sky. Also, MONSTARS are invading. It's absolutely the best Oregon Trail/FF Tactics/giant Viking hybrid on the market, and worth picking up if you can get it on the cheap.
   568. Greg K Posted: June 26, 2014 at 10:40 AM (#4736188)
Anyone know anything about the Alpha Centauri reboot (which seems to be vociferously claiming it's not an Alpha Centauri reboot)?

I suppose it doesn't matter anyway, I'm buying it as soon as it comes out (or as soon as I get money, whichever comes second), but any thoughts on it would be fun. It sounds like the focus is on making a more varied experience, giving you options on how to deal with the indigenous folks, and treating the tech tree more like the restricted culture tree, where you can't really feasibly unlock everything.
   569. Swedish Chef Posted: June 26, 2014 at 11:00 AM (#4736209)
Anyone know anything about the Alpha Centauri reboot (which seems to be vociferously claiming it's not an Alpha Centauri reboot)?
Here's an interview
   570. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: June 26, 2014 at 11:42 AM (#4736292)
The game was too easy though. After about halfway through it there was no battle that I was afraid of, or that I had to really develop anything resembling a strategy for.

The boss that gave me trouble was Al Gore. Possibly because I fought him fairly early on - I had to practically filibuster all his moves with Jimmy's debuffs every turn and even then it was very close.
   571. hokieneer Posted: June 26, 2014 at 11:57 AM (#4736318)
The boss that gave me trouble was Al Gore. Possibly because I fought him fairly early on - I had to practically filibuster all his moves with Jimmy's debuffs every turn and even then it was very close.

I completely skipped all the Al Gore quest lines till the end, but I've read that fight was a ##### at lower levels.

I had the most trouble with the gnomes, and the boss fight against Jimmy. Once I started using Kyle in the party it was all over. Rain of Arrows is a broken AOE attack
   572. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2014 at 12:09 PM (#4736328)
Al Gore is really hard to fight because of his rifle-toting security staff. If you can incapacitate them early and take them out the battle becomes much easier.

Stupid game but it was fun. I could have done without the rectal spelunking but I understand that's canonical. I especially liked the overall idea of all the kids in the neighborhood being fully-invested in their little fantasy role playing games, the narrative helped compensate for fairly tedious combat.
   573. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2014 at 12:14 PM (#4736337)
Banner Saga is a bit of a hot mess. At times it feels unfinished, like it's just an extended demo, and the combat is sort of meh and repetitive. The graphics can be beautiful, and the concept is pretty cool though; the gods have died and TEH ####### SUN has stopped moving in the sky. Also, MONSTARS are invading. It's absolutely the best Oregon Trail/FF Tactics/giant Viking hybrid on the market, and worth picking up if you can get it on the cheap.

Thanks for the info, it's $13 now, not so cheap I'd be willing to put up with mediocrity when there are still unknown goodies from Lord Gaben to be had. If it drops to the $7 range I'll pick it up, I do like the art style and I enjoy turn-based RPGs since the ancient days of the Gold Box.
   574. CrosbyBird Posted: June 26, 2014 at 12:26 PM (#4736349)
The South Park game isn't meant to be very challenging (although I had to delay Al Gore a bit). They don't want to punish people who wear a silly hat that isn't perfectly suited to their abilities, or use a mix of sub-optimal characters.

It's one of the most effective humor video games I've ever played.
   575. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2014 at 02:19 PM (#4736530)
The buffet has been refreshed. A nice smorgasbord for now, including:

- The ever-popular Civilization 5 for $7.50

- A very fun sneak-based weirdo fantasy game "Dishonored" for $5. I got this in the last sale and really enjoyed it, reminded me of the original two "Thief" games with a more robust game engine.

- A well-recommended city-builder game, Banished, about which I've heard good things from people whose opinions I respect. $10 buys you a ticket to check it out.

- For those of you who want something more challenging that Civ5, Europa Universalis is a bargain at $7.50 - how can you deny the power of this review: "Converted the Pope to Animism 10/10 would play again."

- I love Left 4 Dead 2. 4v4 team-based gameplay with 7 friends is just the best. $5, pick it up and come Party With Nixon.

- I've been waiting for the bug-smashing to be complete for Rome Total War II before splurging. At $20 on-sale it's probably safe for me to pick up the latest iteration of my favorite tactical military strategy series.

Plus some other stuff. Whaddya want, an invitation?
   576. Dingbat_Charlie Posted: June 26, 2014 at 02:54 PM (#4736595)
Ah, you jerks have me hooked now. I've already blown my allotted budget and have enough unplayed games in my library to last until summer sale 2016. Yet I keep checking when the sales change and following this thread.
   577. hokieneer Posted: June 26, 2014 at 03:52 PM (#4736703)
Also on steam, Resident Evil 4. I have no idea what the updated "HD" PC port is like, but the game is such a classic and thrilling experience, it would take a lot for Capcom to #### it up to the point it wasn't worth $12.

Man today's sale hits right at the strategy/building gamer's wallet. Civ, Europa, Total War, Banished, & Castle Story. Must close browser and get back to work.
   578. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: June 26, 2014 at 03:57 PM (#4736711)
- I've been waiting for the bug-smashing to be complete for Rome Total War II before splurging. At $20 on-sale it's probably safe for me to pick up the latest iteration of my favorite tactical military strategy series.

Probably. At release, it was a ####### disaster.

I should probably log back in and update it and see what has changed ...
   579. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2014 at 04:07 PM (#4736734)
CoB, I think they've had something like 8 rounds of patching since release, surely it's improved as a result.

DARE I RISK IT? $20 would buy me a lot of Ole Rotgut.
   580. Random Transaction Generator Posted: June 26, 2014 at 04:20 PM (#4736751)
Anyone's who building in the near future, this is a really sick deal;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131569

R9 290 for $429.99 with $30 rebate and a free 250 GB Samsung EVO SSD drive (which is running $120-$130). Plus the usual AMD free games (3 of them this time).

When I looked for the same deal on the Canadian NewEgg, it was full price.
However, I found three reviews with the same issues (black screening after 5-10 minutes of game play, runs INCREDIBLY hot (and doesn't vent outside the PC)).

So buyer beware with that even though the 250gb SSD and 3 games is a REALLY sweet offer...
   581. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: June 26, 2014 at 04:32 PM (#4736767)
Don't think Crusader Kings 2 has popped up in this sale, but it's an amazing game and I'd strongly recommend keeping an eye out for it. It's one of the best strategy games of the last 5 years or so. You don't have the same micromanaging potential that you have in EUIV -- you're shaping your family in CK2 more than your country really -- but once you get the hang of it, there's a kind of simple elegance to the game.
   582. Dingbat_Charlie Posted: June 26, 2014 at 04:33 PM (#4736768)
#577, I bought the RE4 HD release for XBox, and really enjoyed it.
   583. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2014 at 04:36 PM (#4736773)
Man today's sale hits right at the strategy/building gamer's wallet. Civ, Europa, Total War, Banished, & Castle Story.

Mmmmmm hmmmmmm.
   584. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: June 26, 2014 at 05:23 PM (#4736826)
When I looked for the same deal on the Canadian NewEgg, it was full price.
However, I found three reviews with the same issues (black screening after 5-10 minutes of game play, runs INCREDIBLY hot (and doesn't vent outside the PC)).

Customer reviews on commerce sites for components are absolutely worthless. You should see some of the good reviews that crap featherweight power supplies that I wouldn't even put in *Kevin's* PC get. PowerColor's a reputable provider of GPUs and their R290/R290x cooling solution is excellent (and most certainly vents outside the case). If I was in the market for a card (it's nowhere near a worthy step up enough from my 7970 Ghz) I'd happily jump on that bundle.

The R9 290's did run hot at launch - an issue with all 290s and 290xs - but AMD changed the fan utilization curve in a driver update since and the custom coolers are much more efficient than the one on the reference card.
   585. madvillain Posted: June 26, 2014 at 05:46 PM (#4736850)
I just cannot fathom spending that much on a video card unless you have #### you type money. I mean, unless you're running crazy high resolutions a $200 card is going to max out pretty much every single game anyways.

Customer reviews on commerce sites for components are absolutely worthless.

I love how people wildly overestimate their tech knowledge on Newegg's reviews. You have people saying they are 5 egg experts and then they confuse simple terminology or claim something something that has no relation to that something something they are reviewing.
   586. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2014 at 06:18 PM (#4736870)
PowerColor's a reputable provider of GPUs

I'm running a PowerColor 7950 right now, I'm very pleased with it. It runs a touch hot but I'm looking to upgrade to a better case for airflow anyhow.
   587. Moe Greene Posted: June 26, 2014 at 06:28 PM (#4736882)
- The ever-popular Civilization 5 for $7.50

Or the ever-popular (and some still say superior) Civ 4 Complete version (which includes Civ 4, Warlords, Beyond the Sword, and Colonization) for the same price!

While we're on the topic of Sid Meier games... if you like pirates, be sure to get Sid Meier's Pirates! for $2.49 as well.

But I hope that everyone here who would have been interested in these games already picked all of them up during the Humble Sid Meier Bundle a few months back.

Don't think Crusader Kings 2 has popped up in this sale, but it's an amazing game and I'd strongly recommend keeping an eye out for it. It's one of the best strategy games of the last 5 years or so.

Yep, agreed on this. It's my favorite game of all time.
   588. Obo Posted: June 26, 2014 at 06:47 PM (#4736899)
I'd be up for Torchlight 2 or Castle Crashers this weekend. I still have one extra Castle Crashers to get rid of - post a message in the BBTF Steam group and it's yours.
   589. Langer Monk Posted: June 26, 2014 at 07:03 PM (#4736915)
I should be up for some Magicka and Castle Crashers Friday evening and night (eastern) and then again on Sunday.
   590. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2014 at 07:12 PM (#4736927)
I'd be up for Torchlight 2 or Castle Crashers this weekend. I still have one extra Castle Crashers to get rid of - post a message in the BBTF Steam group and it's yours.

Geezus Obo, do I have to BEG?
   591. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2014 at 07:15 PM (#4736929)
CoB, I think they've had something like 8 rounds of patching since release, surely it's improved as a result.

Update: Read the reviews on Steam and they were *brutal*. It's actually on Patch #12 now! I don't generally give user reviews much credence but on Steam you can get reviews only from certified owners of a game along with how many hours they've put into it. When guys with 100+ hours say it's still junk, that carries some weight.
   592. Obo Posted: June 26, 2014 at 07:37 PM (#4736946)
Geezus Obo, do I have to BEG?

Edit: Oh, are you Nixon? Sorry, I didn't realize that was a request. Done.
   593. Greg K Posted: June 26, 2014 at 07:41 PM (#4736953)
When guys with 100+ hours say it's still junk, that carries some weight.

Kind of makes you wonder why a guy would spend 100 hours playing a game he thinks is junk. I mean, I've played some stupid games for embarrassingly long hours, but at least that's because I'm stupid enough to think they're good.

Also I probably get where someone like that is coming from. If some future Europa Universalis V turns out to be complete garbage I'd probably complain about it...but still play it for about 1500 hours.
   594. Langer Monk Posted: June 26, 2014 at 07:43 PM (#4736955)
Europa Universalis V turns out to be complete garbage

Hypothetical blasphemy.
   595. Obo Posted: June 26, 2014 at 07:46 PM (#4736959)
My extra Castle Crashers are gone but the game is still only $3.74 if anyone else wants to join in. Looks like there will be some hacking and slashing going on this weekend.
   596. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2014 at 07:49 PM (#4736964)

Edit: Oh, are you Nixon? Sorry, I didn't realize that was a request. Done.

Not just Nixon, PARTY WITH NIXON! AROOOOOO!!!!

Thanks for the gift my good man, I hope to repay your kindness by smashing your cartoony skull with some sort of digital bludgeon.
   597. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2014 at 07:59 PM (#4736977)
Kind of makes you wonder why a guy would spend 100 hours playing a game he thinks is junk.

I can think of a few. I mean, I was totally invested in several of the earlier Total War games, so when a new one comes out I'm guaranteed to put in 30 hours *minimum* just to get the hang of the campaign, the different factions, etc. Then you have to go through all the patching to address the myriad issues you've noticed as a veteran of the series, hoping each time that they'll fix the numerous issues you've noticed (and hey, maybe all those patches aren't save-game friendly and you have to restart your campaign).

Not only is the Total War series a fairly involved game that can easily take 10+ hours to finish a single campaign, but of course it's the most recent in a long-running and very popular series, so there's a dedicated fanbase very willing to give the game time to improve before jumping ship. Further, there's really no other game on the market that has this sort of tactical gameplay and depth, so where else will you go to get your fix?
   598. zack Posted: June 26, 2014 at 09:39 PM (#4737068)
Or the ever-popular (and some still say superior) Civ 4

And those people are wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Even if you preferred every other feature in IV to V (I don't, but I can see why some might), the one-unit-per-hex is such an enormous, positive change that you can never go home again.

Every 9 months or so I get totally addicted to the 2004 version of Pirates! If someone would make the same basic game except with real gameplay in place of the endless repetitive mini-games (#### DANCING), I would play it forever. I've been playing way too much M&B Warband lately and I realized it's because Warband is basically Pirates! with horses instead of sail. I even play them the same way, where I go for pure speed over anything else (in Pirates, that means I play with a fleet of mail runners instead of frigates).

I love Pirates enough that I'm considering buying the steam version even though I already own the CD, but I just blew the remains of my game budget on Ticket to Ride.
   599. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: June 26, 2014 at 10:02 PM (#4737088)

I love how people wildly overestimate their tech knowledge on Newegg's reviews. You have people saying they are 5 egg experts and then they confuse simple terminology or claim something something that has no relation to that something something they are reviewing.

I do a lot of build help/troubleshooting on Tom's Hardware forums and you get the occasional guy that will drop in like that. One didn't actually know what a capacitor is and then backed off to the argument "well a capacitor is a capacitor." Which of course is absolute rubbish.
   600. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: June 26, 2014 at 10:13 PM (#4737095)
And now CK2 in a flash sale, for $7.99!

One nice feature they added recently was to select a random ruler on the day you pick to start. I actually had a spreadsheet for that before!
Page 6 of 12 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Sheer Tim Foli
for his generous support.