Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, August 04, 2017

OT: New Season August 2017 Soccer Thread

Are you ready for some futbol?

EFL - August 4 (that’s today!).  Note that ESPN has taken over the broadcast rights from BeIN and is going to make most games available on ESPN3 including today’s Sunderland loss to Derby County.
EPL - August 11 (Arsenal-Leicester). Also 8/20 is Spurs-Chelsea, that’s a big big game early.
La Liga - August 18
Bundesliga - August 18 (Bayern-Bayer Leverkusen)
Serie A - August 19 (Juventus-Cagliari)
Champions League Playoffs - August 15 - The best of the bunch look to be Liverpool-Hoffenheim, Nice-Napoli and CSKA Moscow-Young Boys
Europa League - August 17 - Everton get Hajduk Split but generally I won’t pretend to be knowledgeable about the teams here.
Also assorted Community Shield type things and a bunch of World Cup Qualifiers get rolling on August 31.  This is the penultimate break before the end of qualifying for most places so these are likely to be some very big games (US-Costa Rica September 1).  An

Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: August 04, 2017 at 08:07 AM | 1192 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 7 of 12 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›
   601. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 13, 2017 at 03:22 PM (#5531004)
Pulisic the best player on the pitch for Dortmund.
   602. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 03:25 PM (#5531008)
Obviously, the braying of the orange donkey lit a fire under "wonder boy" ...
   603. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 13, 2017 at 03:29 PM (#5531017)
Serge Aurier sure likes to get fancy. Reminds me of Benoit Assou-Ekotto that way.
   604. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 03:30 PM (#5531019)
Goddamnit Firmino, how do you miss the goddamned net on a penalty!?
   605. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 13, 2017 at 03:31 PM (#5531022)
Spurs will have to play better to keep this lead, but so far so good. Real only 1-0 up on APOEL.
   606. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: September 13, 2017 at 03:34 PM (#5531026)
Goddamnit Firmino, how do you miss the goddamned net on a penalty!?

Ask Roberto Baggio.
   607. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 13, 2017 at 03:41 PM (#5531034)
Ask Roberto Baggio.

Hell, the English are confused by the question. Penalties are hard!
   608. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 13, 2017 at 03:53 PM (#5531050)
2 chances to finish the game off. Ugh. Have a feeling we're going to regret those.
   609. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 13, 2017 at 03:55 PM (#5531051)
Up 3-1 with 40 minutes game would not finish a game off against Dortmund, IMO. But, yeah, sounds like they were good chances.
   610. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 13, 2017 at 03:57 PM (#5531054)
I've been wondering lately... is Messi still better than Ronaldo? I mean, I think 5 years ago, definitely. But it seems like Ronaldo is still operating at peak-prime. I'll hang up and listen.
   611. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 13, 2017 at 03:57 PM (#5531055)
Gulp. Thank god for the flag.
   612. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 13, 2017 at 04:01 PM (#5531059)
Kane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now stop scoring before PSG want to buy you.
   613. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 04:01 PM (#5531060)
Ask Juve ...
   614. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 13, 2017 at 04:04 PM (#5531064)
Clive Allen on the tv gushing about Harry Kane is catnip for Spurs fans.
   615. jmurph Posted: September 13, 2017 at 04:07 PM (#5531068)
Huh, Donetsk just gonna go ahead and beat Napoli, I guess?

EDIT: Perhaps I've jinxed them.
   616. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 13, 2017 at 04:09 PM (#5531069)
Tottenham showing off their fitness now and are starting to get the upper hand.
   617. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 04:17 PM (#5531076)
Liverpool's defense is so dang frustrating. Lovren was about as useful as a croquette wicket there.
   618. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 13, 2017 at 04:23 PM (#5531079)
Spurs have had some luck on defense, but damn, Dortmund look made of tissue paper every time Spurs go forward. I like this counter attacking style Spurs have unleashed for this game.
   619. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 13, 2017 at 04:26 PM (#5531083)
Llorente with his debut!
   620. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 13, 2017 at 04:34 PM (#5531089)
Goddammit Vertonghen.
   621. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 13, 2017 at 04:38 PM (#5531094)
The bad news is Vertonghen is suspended for the next game, the good news it's against APOEL (though they are a tougher side than you'd think). Oh, and the really good news is Totteham win! Now we have a chance to advance no matter what happens with Real.
   622. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 04:44 PM (#5531103)
Hopefully, that should be the end of the "Wembley curse" #NARRATIVE for Spurs ...
   623. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 04:54 PM (#5531111)
Did Verts get a 2nd yellow, or a straight red?
   624. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 13, 2017 at 04:56 PM (#5531114)
Did Verts get a 2nd yellow, or a straight red?

I'm not sure but it wasn't worthy of a red so I'm assuming it was a second yellow.
   625. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 05:01 PM (#5531121)
Looks like it's confirmed as 2 yellows.

Good.

Can't wait to watch this one tonight.
   626. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: September 13, 2017 at 05:10 PM (#5531127)
Not a bad matchday for the English teams. Chelsea, City, United and Spurs with comfortable wins and while Liverpool would have liked to have done better a draw with Sevilla isn't terrible. They are probably the two best teams in that group so splitting the points there isn't anything to be too flummoxed by.

All in all the only surprise to me is Besiktas getting the win at Porto.
   627. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 13, 2017 at 05:41 PM (#5531144)
Shakhtar over Napoli is mildly surprising, too, but Shakhtar are tough at home.
   628. madvillain Posted: September 13, 2017 at 06:57 PM (#5531188)
Disgraceful reffing in that Spurs BVB tilt. The Auba goal would have made it 2-2 and a completely different match from that point. It ruined what was an otherwise thrilling match highlighting the best (and worst) of both sides' style. Sokratis looking like a little boy against the Tottenham front line was a bit surprising as was the ease with which BVB controlled possession until they were chasing goals late.

Our boy played really well and was unlucky to not have a goal and an assist. His goal was waived off and I'm not sure why. If Auba doesn't trip or stumble on his low cross (after he straight schooled the left side of Spurs' defense) and can get a boot to it there's his assist.

Pulisic got a little lost in the 2nd half scramble but once again he was consistently BVB's most dangerous attacker and created chances. The question remains at what point do both BVB and the USMNT consider him better as a CAM than a winger? On the wing he tends to get isolated and sometimes tries to take on too much whereas centrally he'd have more outlets.
   629. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: September 13, 2017 at 07:22 PM (#5531196)
628 - Is part of the reason for having Pulisic wide just a way of trying to limit some of his defensive responsibilities? Actually as I think about it there may also be a desire to keep him clear of some of the rough stuff in the middle.
   630. madvillain Posted: September 13, 2017 at 07:50 PM (#5531208)
628 - Is part of the reason for having Pulisic wide just a way of trying to limit some of his defensive responsibilities? Actually as I think about it there may also be a desire to keep him clear of some of the rough stuff in the middle.

I think it's to limit his exposure to the rough stuff mostly. That and I don't think Bosz quite trusts him not to over dribble and make a bad givaway in the mid field. They need Weigl back, big time. Weigl is the key to both strong attacking buildup in games they can't just counter the other team to death like today. And he plays a big role in helping their mediocre back four.
   631. Pirate Joe Posted: September 13, 2017 at 08:14 PM (#5531219)
ckash--Thanks for the background. It's tough. To be honest, I think most kids play way too many games. I understand the need for tournaments (the one our club does is essential to its finances), but 3 11v11 games in 2 days is too much (let alone 5). We're mandated to play 3 tournaments a year, and I confess I really dislike them. TE Jr's middle school team (should he make it) play 20 games in 6 weeks (!!), so their season can wrap up by the end of October... On top of the club games he'd play. It's batshit crazy to purposefully schedule 4 games in 5 days, but that's exactly what all the middle schools apparently do around here.

When my niece was in high school one year they played six games in eight days. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday. Then they played again on Thursday. I asked my brother if the coaches had lost their minds when they set that one up.

632. ckash Posted: September 13, 2017 at 11:17 PM (#5531286)
When my niece was in high school one year they played six games in eight days. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday. Then they played again on Thursday. I asked my brother if the coaches had lost their minds when they set that one up.

This spring my 10 year-old played 7 games in 7 days - 2 tournaments on consecutive weekends and a midweek game. The tournaments were our local club tourney and the state tourney so they were unavoidable, but hopefully there's better scheduling next year. Needless to say my little one was exhausted.
   633. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: September 14, 2017 at 07:21 AM (#5531330)
Disgraceful reffing in that Spurs BVB tilt. The Auba goal would have made it 2-2 and a completely different match from that point. It ruined what was an otherwise thrilling match highlighting the best (and worst) of both sides' style. Sokratis looking like a little boy against the Tottenham front line was a bit surprising as was the ease with which BVB controlled possession until they were chasing goals late.

There was also an offside missed in the build-up to Dortmund's first goal and a number of times Spurs should have had a corner but a goal kick was called instead. Kane also arguably committed a foul on the way to his first goal and a blatant Sissoko offside was missed at the end. It was not very consequential, but I also remember being amused when Kane somehow got called for a foul after a Dortmund player tried to climb him and fell over. Awful officiating all game for both sides.
   634. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 14, 2017 at 07:43 AM (#5531333)
Sissoko wasn't offside because the ball came off a Dortmund player and the ref decided that was an attempt to play the ball back. Ironically enough, a few years ago I was watching a Freiburg-Dortmund game and Dortmund scored a goal on the exact same kind of play which infuriated me until someone explained the rule to me. That was never a foul on Kane. It only looks like a foul because Sahin does an embarrassing flop. Dortmund were screwed on the Auba goal but I don't think they have many other complaints. Spurs had more shots, more shots on target and, if XG is your thing, won that battle, too. Dortmund fans are welcome to feel like they were cheated but I think that's a false narrative (though if situations were reversed, I'm sure I'd feel hard done by, fandom being fandom). Also, I'm really impressed by the tactical flexibility Poch is showing this season so far. Where did that come from? I hope he breaks out this counterattacking plan at Anfield this year.
   635. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 14, 2017 at 08:40 AM (#5531355)
BTW, I think we're down to about 5 clubs in the world Pulisic can go to--Man U, Man City, Barca, Real and PSG. Maybe Arsenal if they decide to tap into their horde of gold. He's going to be very, very expensive if Dortmund ever decide to sell. Hopefully they don't. I think he's in the right place for now and for the long haul but, you know, money and all that. We'll see. He's definitely too expensive for MLS, thankfully. Spurs are in the same situation with Kane who has gone from terrible, to squad player to fluke to legitimately good to good to maybe world class to how good is he if he plays for Tottenham? The British media is already packing his bags for Madrid.
   636. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: September 14, 2017 at 08:54 AM (#5531366)
Ironically enough, a few years ago I was watching a Freiburg-Dortmund game and Dortmund scored a goal on the exact same kind of play which infuriated me until someone explained the rule to me.

I remember that goal. I thought it was hilarious that all the Freiburg players just threw their hands up and stopped playing. They could have gotten a decent challenge in otherwise, and at least made it tricky.

I hope all you youth coaches here are teaching your 9/10 year olds better.
   637. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 14, 2017 at 09:05 AM (#5531375)
I remember that goal. I thought it was hilarious that all the Freiburg players just threw their hands up and stopped playing. They could have gotten a decent challenge in otherwise, and at least made it tricky.

Man U's second goal against Stoke last weekend was kind of similar. The Stoke defender put his hand up for an offide that wasn't called while Lukaku went one on one with the keeper. Butland made the initial save but Lukaku scored on a rebound that might have been cleared if that defender hadn't stood there like he was the fucking Statue of Liberty.
   638. Textbook Editor Posted: September 14, 2017 at 09:18 AM (#5531384)
I hope all you youth coaches here are teaching your 9/10 year olds better.

"Play to the whistle" should be tattooed on my forehead at this point.
   639. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 14, 2017 at 09:41 AM (#5531404)
After being the best player on the pitch for Dortmund in a CL game, ESPN's headline about Pulisic is that he has a lot to learn. Mein gott in Himmel! ESPN hast einen Vogel!
   640. The Marksist Posted: September 14, 2017 at 10:06 AM (#5531417)
After being the best player on the pitch for Dortmund in a CL gameESPN's headline about Pulisic is that he has a lot to learn. 

ESPNFC is... not a very good website.
   641. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: September 14, 2017 at 10:09 AM (#5531420)
ESPN hast hat einen Vogel!

Setzen, sechs!
   642. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 14, 2017 at 10:11 AM (#5531421)
Setzen, sechs!

Damn it. I did hat at first and then changed it. My wife is going to kill me.
   643. I am going to be Frank Posted: September 14, 2017 at 10:13 AM (#5531428)
Sokratis was absolutely awful. I know Batra is his regular partner, but that was some terrible one-on-one defending all night. The keeper also was in poor position on each of the first two goals. I don't know if he would have stopped either if he was in the right position, but to not even get a touch on two shots at the near post is some bad keeper play.

Pulisic's "goal" was rightly ruled out. Dembele was offside and his stumble could/should be interpreted as a play on the ball.

Shooty you forgot Chelsea. If Pulisic leaves Dortmund I just hope he plays a lot. More established players have seen big clubs bat their eyes and once they move, they barely get a game in. I read somewhere that when Pulisic plays behind the striker it gets too congested. Playing out wide gives him a more space to turn and run at the fullback or winger. Playing him in the middle also gives opponents more opportunities to take whacks at him - I didn't watch any of the recent US qualifiers - I assume Honduras and Costa Rica did just that.

Dortmund has to know that they are sitting on a gold mine. He's 19 (I believe in the next week), has established himself on a good team in a good league and has played well in Champions League. Plus he's American. Dortmund really should be much bigger in the US (Spurs were trendy, but they got even trendier when Dempsey moved there). If Jose decides he wants him at United (I don't see it as currently constructed, plus United are supposedly still all over Griezmann), I can see them paying over 100M.
   644. I am going to be Frank Posted: September 14, 2017 at 10:33 AM (#5531441)
Damnit - not Dembele, the other guy.
   645. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 14, 2017 at 10:42 AM (#5531449)
Shooty you forgot Chelsea.

Naw, they don't seem to be as crazy about throwing money around anymore. I don't think they'd pay what Pulisic would command. It wouldn't shock me to be wrong about this, though.
   646. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 14, 2017 at 11:47 AM (#5531517)
I think it makes sense for Pulisic to be out wide, at least for Dortmund. They're a really good team and at the world class club level, one of his best skills is still his pace and pace with the ball. A ton of the best players in the world play in that position, I don't see it as a problem needing fixing.

For the US, our top line talent is so weak that maybe he should play more centrally since we want him on the ball, but even still he's at his most dangerous in space.
   647. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 14, 2017 at 11:55 AM (#5531524)
The totally Football guys made reference to this game. To which I say, "wait, what?" How have I not heard of this before?
   648. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 14, 2017 at 01:43 PM (#5531606)
I see Everton have picked up where Spurs left them ...

[edit] And seconds after I typed that, Atalanta score again and make it 3-0 ... oof.
   649. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 14, 2017 at 01:51 PM (#5531612)
Well now I'm disappointed Tottenham only beat them 3-0.
   650. I am going to be Frank Posted: September 14, 2017 at 01:58 PM (#5531622)
Chelsea have been oddly frugal. They do seem a bit self-funding with their roster churn. Maybe if Hazard decides he wants to leave, then Roman might splurge on an American.
   651. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 14, 2017 at 02:01 PM (#5531625)
Chelsea have been oddly frugal.

Sanctions, perhaps?
   652. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 14, 2017 at 02:48 PM (#5531678)
Too many of ze Germans has delayed the kickoff of Arsenal v Koln.

Lol.
   653. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 14, 2017 at 02:49 PM (#5531679)
Are Germans unaware of the concept of tickets?
   654. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 14, 2017 at 02:55 PM (#5531690)
This being Woolwich ... and the Europa League ... they probably figured there'd be tickets left lying about and stuck into fences.

Or, they're in an August 1940 sort of mood ...
   655. I am going to be Frank Posted: September 14, 2017 at 02:59 PM (#5531695)
I'm sure Roman has plenty of money squirreled away along with the right type of connections to get around sanctions. I do imagine the oil and gas prices, along with the ruble collapsing in conjunction with sanctions has affected his wallet. However, he's put enough money into the club. He's able to sell marginal (at least to Chelsea) players at profits while still bringing in good players here and there. The whole "buy a lot of youth and loan them out until they come good" seems to work for them.

I don't think he's going to go on City or PSG-like splurges anytime soon, but Chelsea no longer has to. Even billionaires can't outspend countries and United indefinitely. Probably won't spend 100M on single, but he's changed his mind before. If someone offers 150M for Hazard - then spending 80M on someone like Pulisic is not out of the realm of possibility.
   656. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 14, 2017 at 03:01 PM (#5531697)
So, there are 20,000 Koln fans at the Emirates and only about 3000 have tickets and the ones without tickets are trying to force themselves into the stadium. Welcome to the motherfucking Europa League, Gooners! I expect Gunnersaurus to be on spit over a flame before the night is through.
   657. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 14, 2017 at 03:07 PM (#5531710)
then spending 80M on someone like Pulisic is not out of the realm of possibility.

I'll eat a year's worth of toenail clippings if Pulisic goes for as little as 80 million in this market ...
   658. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 14, 2017 at 03:08 PM (#5531714)
So, there are 20,000 Koln fans at the Emirates and only about 3000 have tickets and the ones without tickets are trying to force themselves into the stadium. Welcome to the ############# Europa League, Gooners! I expect Gunnersaurus to be on spit over a flame before the night is through.

Like I said ... an August 1940 kind of mood!
   659. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 14, 2017 at 03:08 PM (#5531716)
I would say Pulisic is very close to being worth more than Hazard, taking age and nationality into consideration.
   660. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 14, 2017 at 03:12 PM (#5531722)
I would say Pulisic is very close to being worth more than Hazard, taking age and nationality into consideration.

Ding!

The first American soccer superstar?

Sell the jerseys, print the money ...

Meanwhile, what does Hazard get you?

The Flems?

The Fat Belgian Bastards???
   661. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 14, 2017 at 03:12 PM (#5531724)
Like I said ... a June 1940 kind of mood!

Koln fans just need more Lebensraum.
   662. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 14, 2017 at 03:18 PM (#5531735)
The Koln fans inside the stadium are basically trying to sit where they want which is a strict no-no in English stadiums where the home and away support are segregated. Bizarre stuff. A lot of away fans bought tickets on the secondary market so there is way more of them than can sit in the designated away section. I'll be surprised if they play this game and, if they don't, it could get really ugly.
   663. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 14, 2017 at 03:23 PM (#5531752)
ze Germans!!!
   664. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 14, 2017 at 03:27 PM (#5531759)
The teams are on the pitch so I guess they're going to play. No one can accuse the Emirates of lacking atmosphere tonight.
   665. Sean Forman Posted: September 14, 2017 at 03:40 PM (#5531793)
Miazga playing in Europa for Vitesse vs Lazio.
   666. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 14, 2017 at 03:45 PM (#5531801)
   667. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 14, 2017 at 03:53 PM (#5531809)
Twitter is still of divided opinion on whether they will play the game. If they cancel it, do they just reschedule or will UEFA punish one the of clubs with a forfeit? If the latter, which club gets punished?
   668. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 14, 2017 at 03:56 PM (#5531813)
UEFA has finally announced the game will go ahead. The crowd will just be mixed, like a Rays-Yankees game!
   669. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 14, 2017 at 04:18 PM (#5531841)
UEFA has finally announced the game will go ahead.

Someone should tell Arsenal ... they seem a bit behind the new schedule ...
   670. PepTech Posted: September 14, 2017 at 05:31 PM (#5531932)
Someone should tell Arsenal ... they seem a bit behind the new schedule ...
They got better.
   671. stevegamer Posted: September 14, 2017 at 05:41 PM (#5531939)
The Koln fans inside the stadium are basically trying to sit where they want which is a strict no-no in English stadiums where the home and away support are segregated. Bizarre stuff. A lot of away fans bought tickets on the secondary market so there is way more of them than can sit in the designated away section. I'll be surprised if they play this game and, if they don't, it could get really ugly.

I find this really odd. If you have a real ticket for a real seat, they can simply deny you entrance due to your rooting interest being for the wrong team in the section? I'm guessing hooliganism is a big problem, but they should have to at least refund your money.

I've been what was more or less a soccer "away" section once, and it was the most miserable experience of my sports fan life; I almost left my girlfriend (now fiancee) there to watch the game herself, as I was getting no help from her and she was rooting for the other team than I was. It was predominantly one utter ######### fan and his teenage kids that were the problem - they were complaining about a couple of us rooting for the wrong team, and some coarse language that came out as a result. Of course, it was only the fans of the wrong team that were saying anything much in a language they understood, since they didn't understand the language of the fans of the team they were rooting for!

This was at a Real Madrid - Philadelphia Union friendly, and they were a wealthy white family from a well to-do suburb of Philadelphia. The game was in Philadelphia, and there were no punches thrown at the guy by anyone, sadly. I adjusted by simply cursing in Spanish. My fiancee is fluent in Spanish, so she could talk to her fellow Real fans. My Spanish is not great, but I can mostly understand if it's not spoken too quickly, and I know enough to reply somewhat.

672. PepTech Posted: September 14, 2017 at 05:54 PM (#5531946)
I hope London has enough bobbies deployed for the aftermath of this one. For those watching, does it seem like it could get unruly after?
   673. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: September 14, 2017 at 06:43 PM (#5531980)
I find this really odd. If you have a real ticket for a real seat, they can simply deny you entrance due to your rooting interest being for the wrong team in the section? I'm guessing hooliganism is a big problem, but they should have to at least refund your money.

Well typically the only way you can get a ticket for the "wrong" section, is through the secondary market. The concept of "away" sections is very well understood in euro-football (in Germany too! It's not like Köln fans were completely blindsided by this.) Their club will have been allocated tickets to sell on to their supporters. You show up at an away game without one of those at your own peril. Especially if you are decked out in the away team kit.

I don't see how Köln fans have much to complain about, if they get turned away. They took the risk, they have nobody to blame but themselves.
   674. PepTech Posted: September 14, 2017 at 07:08 PM (#5531994)
So if you're an Arsenal supporter, and you sold your ticket on the secondary market because you don't give a crap about Europa, and it ended up with a Koln supporter - are there repercussions? From either the club, or maybe from the guy who sits behind you who's pissed you sold your seat?
   675. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: September 14, 2017 at 07:41 PM (#5532010)
674 - As a Red Sox season ticket holder I am responsible for the behavior of people who sit in my seat. Now one thing that hasn't been made clear to me is if I am still responsible if I sell through an official MLB channel (e.g. Red Sox Replay) but if I sell to some random person on the street or Craig's List then yeah, I'm on the hook.
   676. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 14, 2017 at 09:18 PM (#5532073)

Ding!

The first American soccer superstar?

Sell the jerseys, print the money ...

Meanwhile, what does Hazard get you?

Titles.

As an American, I can't help but think people are overrating Pulisic. He's good, but there's a very real chance he doesn't have a year like Hazard from 3 years ago ever.
   677. Richard Posted: September 14, 2017 at 09:23 PM (#5532083)

I've seen this happen on many occasions. If there are only a few such fans, stewards or police normally remove them and stick them with their own supporters. Obviously this is not an option where there are thousands of them. In such cases - which are very rare these days - I have seen the occasional attempt to move supporters of the away team into a particular section of the ground and put a line of police between them and the home fans.

And yes, they can and do deny away fans access to the home section, but it's easy to get in if you keep your mouth shut. I've watched my team play away standing or sitting in the home section in about half a dozen different places with no repercussions (except at Liverpool).

Must have been nice to have an atmosphere at the Emirates. Arsenal fans are relatively passive and the ground usually has many tourists who've bought on the secondary market so it would have made a change.
   678. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 14, 2017 at 09:27 PM (#5532088)
Titles.

I suppose, when he decides to give a ####.

Ask Jose about the difference that makes ...

He's good, but there's a very real chance he doesn't have a year like Hazard from 3 years ago ever.

Perhaps, but if I was going to pick one of the two to have to a better year than that going forward ... it'd be Pulisic.
   679. stevegamer Posted: September 15, 2017 at 04:48 AM (#5532231)
Thanks for the feedback. Is the sectioning common in the US? I know there are designated rooter sections for fan clubs that are traveling, but does the moving of fans happen much?

Every soccer game I've ever been to, I've been a fan of the home team - and I've been to NASL games in the 70's as a kid. Only once did I end up surrounded by fans of another team, and it was that friendly, we didn't get tickets on the secondary market, but perhaps my fiancee intentionally picked a section designated for Real - which would not be a nice thing to do. Now there's one more team that she's a fan of that I hate now because of that experience.

It sounds like European soccer is like Eagles games.
   680. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 15, 2017 at 07:50 AM (#5532244)
I think the closest comp in America to big time Euro soccer is SEC Football. Both have lots of traveling fans, both have segregated away sections and both involve copious amounts of pre-game boozing.
   681. I am going to be Frank Posted: September 15, 2017 at 09:07 AM (#5532274)
In the college football games I've been to, there are usually two areas reserved for the away team. One section near midfield for the super-monied supporters and some families and then an section in a corner. However, while there may be extra ushers and security around they are not cordoned off by a wall of ushers.

I think if Pulisic continues his development at a reasonable rate he could pass a valuation of 100M. Mbappe and Neymar have scored a lot of goals. In addition, a lot of English teams have a bias against Americans - Bradley and Jozy didn't exactly cover themselves in glory. Dempsey was a pretty good offensive player and Cameron is a decent player. You'll also get the "he's not proven in the Premier League nonsense." English United fans will point to Kagawa, who played a similar position (if not role) to Pulisic at Dortmund as being a good player played out of position, but no where near superstar.
   682. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: September 15, 2017 at 09:15 AM (#5532277)
In addition, a lot of English teams have a bias against Americans - Bradley and Jozy didn't exactly cover themselves in glory.

I can tell you the reaction of Spurs fans on a primarily UK based message board is that they very much want Pulisic on the team and these are the same people who never warmed up to Clint Dempsey and think we only signed Yedlin to sell shirts. Pulisic is the real deal and soccer fans in England recognize it, at least Spurs fans do. They also recognize he's already beyond our means.
   683. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 15, 2017 at 01:42 PM (#5532466)
I mean, Pulisic is awesome. But while he's got a ton of potential, I feel like one of the most tantalizing things about him is his age. Now some of that is valid, but Martial went from a superstar prospect a couple of years ago to now just looking like a very good young prospect, the likes of which most of the top teams have a couple of.

I feel like that could potentially happen with Mbappe too. It happened with Rashford a bit in terms of cooling off, and Januzaj is another good example.

I do feel like Dortmund's style fits Pulisic really well, where they play, to use an NBA term, pace and space. I'd like to see him stay until the next move is go to one of the mega-bastard clubs with a starting spot semi-open for him.
   684. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 16, 2017 at 09:29 AM (#5532930)
Palace ... well, Palace looks pretty screwed.

First team to fail to score in their first 5 PL games and the next three games coming up: @City, @United & Chelsea.

They could very easily start 0-0-8.
   685. I am going to be Frank Posted: September 16, 2017 at 10:10 AM (#5532948)
Pep is playing a very offensive lineup. Only four at the back and Walker is playing really high up. Fernandino is the only real central midfielders, with Silva, Sterling, Jesus and Aguero attacking. De Bruyne seems to be slightly behind them with slightly more defensive responsibilities.
   686. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: September 16, 2017 at 10:38 AM (#5532951)
This is a terrifying performance by City. Not that Watford are true top four contenders but a well organized team playing at home in a good run of form I expected a competitive game. City are just tearing them apart. Watford came very close a few minutes before the first goal but this score line is deserved.
   687. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 16, 2017 at 11:04 AM (#5532958)
The Manchester derbys are going to be fascinating this year ...
   688. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 16, 2017 at 12:44 PM (#5532986)
Man, Sissoko really should not be starting over Son.
   689. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 16, 2017 at 12:46 PM (#5532989)
Hmmm, Son is also starting. Well, let me revise. Sissoko should not be starting.
   690. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 16, 2017 at 12:58 PM (#5532994)
Son makes such good attacking runs. God I love him.
   691. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 16, 2017 at 01:07 PM (#5532998)
Hmmm, Son is also starting. Well, let me revise. Sissoko should not be starting.

Eh, he's in midfield, replacing Dembele, who Poch is right to be careful with at this point in the season ...
   692. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 16, 2017 at 01:15 PM (#5533002)
Bad let down of a half by Spurs ... who could have seen that coming after the Dortmund game?

Grrrrr.

Someone needs to show them the highlights from the City v Watford game .
   693. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 16, 2017 at 02:18 PM (#5533032)
Looks like #NARRATIVE's back on the menu, boys!

####### Spurs ...
   694. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 16, 2017 at 04:09 PM (#5533069)
4 points dropped at "home" in back-to-back games against Burnley and Swansea.

Just awful ...
   695. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 16, 2017 at 04:28 PM (#5533075)
Eh, he's in midfield, replacing Dembele, who Poch is right to be careful with at this point in the season ...

Sissoko was actually solid for much of the game, I must admit. The Spurs' crossing was absolute garbage in that game. In general, they didn't even have that many good chances. You'd really hope Kane would have put that one away though, where he hit the bar.

Beyond that, I thought Davinson Sanchez looked a bit shaky. I think he'll be good if they give him some leeway, but there were a few situations where he was the deepest of the centerbacks, and his judgement is about where you'd expect for a 21 year old centerback.
   696. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: September 17, 2017 at 10:26 AM (#5533309)
The NBCSN guys are all excited about the Arsenal performance but to me it was same old Arsenal. They had plenty of the ball but never really generated chances save for the horrible miss by Lacazette. On top of that I realize it was only 7-8 minutes but after Luiz was sent off I thought Arsenal looked completely out of control and really Chelsea looked more likely to screw, they got the free kick and Hazard almost broke away. The fact that there is excitement about this performance from Arsenal is really damning in my opinion. To me Arsenal should win when they play like that,saying "oh they played well and got a point at Stamford Bridge" is what you'd say about a West Brom.
   697. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Posted: September 17, 2017 at 12:04 PM (#5533327)
696, you're not _wrong_, but I think that type of commentary is understandable in light of Arsenal's struggles at the Bridge in recent years.
   698. sardonic Posted: September 17, 2017 at 12:54 PM (#5533338)
Ah, another classic swashbuckling Mourinho performance.
   699. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 17, 2017 at 01:21 PM (#5533343)
I am beginning to think that Everton might not be so good this year ...
   700. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: September 17, 2017 at 04:52 PM (#5533456)
Köln lose 5:0 to Dortmund, but have announced that they intend to protest the game. Because that one goal that was based on a questionable replay decision is totally the reason they lost. They would have totes won if not for that.
Page 7 of 12 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.