Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, November 06, 2012

OT: NFL/NHL thread

i estimate that absolutely noone gives a damn about the NHL, so by folding that thread into this one, we won’t distract from what this thread is really about: boner pills, blood doping (is it low t?), and…jesus christ did mike vick just throw another ####### interception?

steagles Posted: November 06, 2012 at 12:03 AM | 8367 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nfl, nhl

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 14 of 84 pages ‹ First  < 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 >  Last ›
   1301. jobu Posted: January 09, 2013 at 02:35 PM (#4343052)
Cam Newton - 25%
RG3 - 20%
Wilson - 18%
Kaepernick (sp?) - 17%

What I notice most about this is that they're all first- and second-year players. I imagine if you want to survive as an NFL QB, you learn how not to get hit.

What I notice most about this is that they are all black or biracial (I just checked Kaepernick to confirm that).

Maybe the fact they are 1st and 2nd year players has something to do with it. I think it has a lot more to do with style of play (which I am not explicitly linking to their race). Blaine Gabbert, Brandon Weeden, Andrew Luck, and Ryan Tannehill (to name a few other young QBs) don't appear on this list.
   1302. DA Baracus Posted: January 09, 2013 at 02:40 PM (#4343057)
QB hits by team (raw totals) according to NFL.com:

1. Eagles
2. Colts
3. Jaguars
4. Cardinals
5. Chiefs
   1303. JJ1986 Posted: January 09, 2013 at 02:42 PM (#4343060)
1. Eagles
2. Colts
3. Jaguars
4. Cardinals
5. Chiefs

This must only be on dropbacks.
   1304. DA Baracus Posted: January 09, 2013 at 02:48 PM (#4343068)
This must only be on dropbacks.

Yeah it probably is. I don't claim it to mean much. But there's a lot of white boys in that list.
   1305. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 09, 2013 at 02:48 PM (#4343069)
What I notice most about this is that they are all black or biracial (I just checked Kaepernick to confirm that).

Russell Wilson reminds me of film of Fran Tarkenton, who was not biracial to my knowledge. He also has a good deal of Steve Young or young Aaron Rodgers in him. Of those three, he's the only guy I see regularly scrambling in order to keep looking down field and running only on designed plays or as a last resort. The other three, from my limited viewing, tend to pull it down and "run first" - aka the Micheal Vick experience.
   1306. steagles Posted: January 09, 2013 at 02:51 PM (#4343076)
I don't think you can C Danny. My guess is he gets bought out in the off season.
i don't think that means you can't make him the captain. if you do buy him out, then you can just put the C on giroux after this season.

also, it makes very little sense to amnesty briere, due to his contract. his cap hit for the next two years (after this one) is 13 million, but he'll only be paid 5. if you're a team like columbus or carolina or phoenix, and you're hemorrhaging money, trading for briere gives you $4 million per year against the cap that doesn't have to paid. that could be very attractive to a team that's having financial difficulty, which is purportedly what this entire lockout was about.

1307. jobu Posted: January 09, 2013 at 02:53 PM (#4343080)
Russell Wilson reminds me of film of Fran Tarkenton, who was not biracial to my knowledge. He also has a good deal of Steve Young or young Aaron Rodgers in him. Of those three, he's the only guy I see regularly scrambling in order to keep looking down field and running only on designed plays or as a last resort. The other three, from my limited viewing, tend to pull it down and "run first" - aka the Micheal Vick experience.

I agree with these comparisons. I would also say that I'm not a Seahawks fan, but Wilson has very quickly become one of my favorite players to watch. I was a little surprised to see him in this list, as he seems to me to be pretty smart about and effective at avoiding contact.
   1308. Petunia inquires about ponies Posted: January 09, 2013 at 03:42 PM (#4343264)
I have to agree with jobu. I love watching Wilson play. Which only further complicates my already strange position: Niners fan, hate Carroll, love Lynch, hate Carroll, love the style of play on defense, hate Sherman, hate Carroll.
   1309. zack Posted: January 09, 2013 at 04:31 PM (#4343382)
Now there is thankfully a season albeit a very shorty one, Is there ever a better time to look for a few outsiders in the NHL ? Anyone have any tips on some roughies?

I don't understand this question.
   1310. Phil Coorey is a T-Shirt Salesman Posted: January 09, 2013 at 07:08 PM (#4343594)

Now there is thankfully a season albeit a very shorty one, Is there ever a better time to look for a few outsiders in the NHL ? Anyone have any tips on some roughies?

I don't understand this question.

Looking for some outside chances in the NHL that are paying big odds - roughie I realize is slang, sorry. I wrote that in a rush yesterday
   1311. MHS Posted: January 09, 2013 at 09:06 PM (#4343677)
Washington at 30 to 1 is solid.

Edmonton at 40 to 1 is a decent long shot.

Neither likely to cash, but the price is right.
   1312. Greg K Posted: January 09, 2013 at 09:14 PM (#4343684)
Of those three, he's the only guy I see regularly scrambling in order to keep looking down field and running only on designed plays or as a last resort.

Like Doug Flutie or Jeff Garcia!

Actually now that I look at it, at 6'1 Jeff Garcia wasn't as short as I remember him.

What is the educated opinion on Flutie? From the very biased Canadian perspective it was endlessly frustrating watching the Bills giving snaps to Rob Johnson while Flutie sat on the bench. Was he actually a viable NFL QB?
   1313. steagles Posted: January 09, 2013 at 09:28 PM (#4343690)
Washington at 30 to 1 is solid.
put money on that, then hedge by betting against washington every round of the playoffs.

if you put 10 on washington to win 300, then bet 15 against in the 1st round, 30 against in the 2nd, 60 against in the 3rd, and 120 against in the SC finals, you should pay out +5 with a loss in the first round, +5 in the 2nd, +5 in the 3rd, +5 in the finals, and then +75 if washington wins the cup.

if multiply that by 10, you get +50, +50, +50, +50, and +750 if they win the cup.

of course the odds and the house can screw with that a bit, but that's generally the way i'd go.
   1314. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 09, 2013 at 09:34 PM (#4343694)
Like Doug Flutie or Jeff Garcia!

I like the Doug Flutie comp too. I thought Flutie was underutilized in the NFL for the most part. Players can play.
   1315. Kurt Posted: January 09, 2013 at 09:46 PM (#4343704)
I honestly thought Phil was asking who the modern day Marty McSorleys are, so he could know which players to root for.
   1316. zack Posted: January 09, 2013 at 10:09 PM (#4343719)
As a Bills fan, watching the Bills give snaps to Rob "12 Step Drop" Johnson was endlessly frustrating.

That's about as solid an example of "selling jeans" as you will find in sports. Flutie could play, but was "too small", while Johnson was a pretty-boy quarterback who sucked.
   1317. baudib Posted: January 09, 2013 at 11:35 PM (#4343784)
Flyers:
I think Voracek has to play on the first line. He needs to play with finishers. Although I think a combo of Wellwood, Voracek and Simmonds would be interesting. Think Coots is going to be an overachieving scorer/grinder in the mold of many former Flyers like Sutter, Poulin, Brind'Amour, he fits somewhere in that type of role.

I think it's absurd to not make Giroux the captain. When your best player is clearly the team leader, it just seems silly not to do it.

1318. steagles Posted: January 10, 2013 at 12:33 AM (#4343822)
Flyers:
I think Voracek has to play on the first line. He needs to play with finishers. Although I think a combo of Wellwood, Voracek and Simmonds would be interesting. Think Coots is going to be an overachieving scorer/grinder in the mold of many former Flyers like Sutter, Poulin, Brind'Amour, he fits somewhere in that type of role.

I think it's absurd to not make Giroux the captain. When your best player is clearly the team leader, it just seems silly not to do it.
i don't really disagree with any of that, i just think they should go the other way.

if you put the C on giroux and put voracek on his line with hartnell, i'd have no problem with that, but i have a feeling about briere stepping up as a leader. unless giroux is much more interested in wearing the C than i think he is, he's gonna step up whether he's wearing it or not. but with briere, i think that giving him that leadership responsibility would bring out the best in him and seeing what he's done in the playoffs over his career, i think if you can get that briere in the regular season, it sets the right tone.

and in addition, i think briere is connected with almost everyone of importance on the roster. he signed with the team the same offseason as hartnell and timonen, he's mentored giroux and couturier and read, he's made multiple playoff runs with coburn, he's got the french canadian thing going with talbot. he's played on the same line as schenn and voracek and simmonds.

it just feels right to me.

oh, and if couturier develops into anything like rod brind'amour, that'd be something like a wet-dream.
   1319. Greg K Posted: January 10, 2013 at 12:39 AM (#4343824)
Is it just me or is it an odd time to fire Brian Burke?

I guess they must have decided a while ago to get rid of him, but that it wouldn't be a good idea to do it during the lockout? Does this make it more, or less likely that the rumoured Luongo trade happens?
   1320. steagles Posted: January 10, 2013 at 01:01 AM (#4343833)
Is it just me or is it an odd time to fire Brian Burke?
maybe it's payback for the US beating canadia in the semifinals of the world junior championships.
   1321. Howie Menckel Posted: January 10, 2013 at 01:49 AM (#4343851)

interesting that RG III will miss 8 to 12 months of a season that starts and ends in 8 to 12 months, plus playoffs.

1322. zack Posted: January 10, 2013 at 09:41 AM (#4343941)
I guess they must have decided a while ago to get rid of him, but that it wouldn't be a good idea to do it during the lockout? Does this make it more, or less likely that the rumoured Luongo trade happens?
Firing Burke is fine. Firing Burke for not trading for Luongo is the most batshit insane thing I've ever heard. Luongo's trade value is negative, especially with a new lower cap. The dude is 33, signed for 9 more years and with the new CBA, you can't get rid of his cap hit when he retires.
   1323. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: January 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM (#4343996)
put money on that, then hedge by betting against washington every round of the playoffs.

Hedging is for noobs. Of course, outrights are also for noobs, so whatever I guess.
   1324. Nasty Nate Posted: January 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM (#4344038)
It's going to be warm in Foxboro on Sunday. Does this help the Texans as a southern dome team, or the home squad as an air show purveyor?
   1325. DA Baracus Posted: January 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM (#4344046)
It helps the Texans run game. But the Patriots are pretty efficient at running it too.

The conventional wisdom is that bad weather means more running, but Brady loves passing in it. Defenders can't get traction to rush him or to cover receivers on breaks. Case in point: he threw 6 TDs in a blizzard in 2009.
   1326. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: January 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM (#4344080)
The Jets, evidently, are going to interview Jerry Angelo for the GM position.

Hee, hee, hee, hee.
   1327. zack Posted: January 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM (#4344089)
Why is the folk wisdom about the lockout that old players will benefit from the reduced season? Isn't the compressed schedule just as likely to be problematic as the season long sprint, if not worse? That and there's no space for rest given that every game has playoff implications.

I'm having a real hard time thinking about hockey again. I put it so far out of my mind that I can't recall basic facts, player's names, or even the sites I normally read about it.
   1328. McCoy Posted: January 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM (#4344100)
Thought perhaps NHL tickets would be cheap with general fan apathy and all and I'd go see my first NHL game. Took a look on Stubhub and nope , it doesn't look like I'll be going to an NHL game this season.
   1329. Kurt Posted: January 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM (#4344120)
Thought perhaps NHL tickets would be cheap with general fan apathy and all and I'd go see my first NHL game. Took a look on Stubhub and nope , it doesn't look like I'll be going to an NHL game this season.

NHL tickets may be cheap, Caps tickets are not. If you want to go I'd suggest picking out a few games that look promising (Winnipeg or Minnesota, not the Flyers or Penguins) and check stubhub the day before the game (or even the day of the game). You might get lucky.
   1330. Tom Nawrocki Posted: January 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM (#4344155)
It's going to be warm in Foxboro on Sunday. Does this help the Texans as a southern dome team, or the home squad as an air show purveyor?

Forecast is for a high of 19 in Denver on Saturday, which may be an instance of the weather helping the visiting team. It was a warm autumn here, and it turned out that every Broncos home game was played in 50 degrees or above. I have the feeling that the Ravens are going to be better adapted to cold conditions than P. Manning & Co.
   1331. Nasty Nate Posted: January 10, 2013 at 01:34 PM (#4344196)
The forecast for San Francisco seems decent. I would think any wind or rain would benefit the 49ers.
   1332. Petunia inquires about ponies Posted: January 10, 2013 at 01:51 PM (#4344213)
The conventional wisdom is that bad weather means more running

I don't know if that's true, but if it is, the CW is dead wrong. For the reasons you note. Offensive players know the plays, so know where they're going; defensive players don't, and as such are reactive - receivers make cuts more easily than defenders can follow them, for example. So for an offense like the one Brady runs, bad weather is your greatest ally.

In other words bad weather favors the offense ceteris parabus. Of course for many (most?) teams you don't see this working properly because they're not used to it - compare the Vikings, who practiced indoors all week before playing at Lambeau, and do so regularly, to the Pats, who practice outdoors always.
   1333. McCoy Posted: January 10, 2013 at 01:59 PM (#4344223)
depends on what kind of bad weather it is. If the bad weather contains high winds then a passing game is hindered.
   1334. zack Posted: January 10, 2013 at 01:59 PM (#4344224)
I don't think you can say that categorically. It's harder to throw when you can't feel your hand, a receiver slipping can be an instant interception. Obviously it doesn't categorically favor any one thing.
   1335. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 10, 2013 at 01:59 PM (#4344225)
rodgers, like favre when he was younger, maintains his level of play in poor weather due to his good hands, general athleticism and sheer determination

if i were san fran i would be wondering how the young qb handles weather if it happens.
   1336. DA Baracus Posted: January 10, 2013 at 02:00 PM (#4344226)
I don't know if that's true, but if it is, the CW is dead wrong.

CW usually is. Maybe it's no longer conventional wisdom (which is slowly going by the wayside) but it always seemed to be me it used to be.
   1337. smileyy Posted: January 10, 2013 at 02:05 PM (#4344235)
defensive players don't, and as such are reactive

For this same reason, I'd argue that this is where you see a running penalty in slippery conditions, as running backs need to quickly react and cut into gaps to be effective.
   1338. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: January 10, 2013 at 02:06 PM (#4344236)
if i were san fran i would be wondering how the young qb handles weather if it happens.

Kaep played his college ball at Reno. Reno has plenty of cold weather, and is a particularly windy place - there's even a name for the strong prevailing afternoon wind (the "Washoe Zephyr"). And the WAC had plenty of other cold-weather, early-snow away stadiums back in Kaep's day.
   1339. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 10, 2013 at 02:14 PM (#4344248)
zop

there is a difference between cold and wind and cold and rain

not looking to parse words. but quarterbacks discuss this all the time. cold is not really a concern for most qbs

wind matters if your qb has an arm like joey harrington.

but rain is a whole different issue. and then, according to the interviews i have read/heard, cold begins to matter

cold/rain is challenge for qbs
   1340. zenbitz Posted: January 10, 2013 at 02:37 PM (#4344277)
Kaepernick did well in Foxboro.... I mean other than five fumbled snaps
   1341. Greg K Posted: January 10, 2013 at 02:50 PM (#4344288)
From my experience growing up I'd say playing in 6-8 inches of snow, taken as a whole, favours the running game (or at least a short passing game).

Not that that has any relevance to the NFL.

But playing football in a thick snow has got to be one of the funnest athletic activities for a group of 8 or so people. Right up there with curling.
   1342. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: January 10, 2013 at 03:34 PM (#4344341)
Watch out NHL, Dustin Byfuglien has spent the past six months on the "I'm assuming there will be no season" diet.
   1343. DA Baracus Posted: January 10, 2013 at 03:38 PM (#4344347)
Pretty sure that picture is old. Which means he's eaten even more since then.
   1344. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: January 10, 2013 at 03:39 PM (#4344349)
No! A random person on Twitter misled me?

I guess the backdrop makes it look like it was taken at Christmas time.
   1345. Copronymus Posted: January 10, 2013 at 04:45 PM (#4344420)
No! A random person on Twitter misled me?

I guess the backdrop makes it look like it was taken at Christmas time.

It's from Dave Bolland's wedding in July. I believe more recent reports are that Byfuglien is actually in decent shape for camp, which makes me sad. I'll have to console myself with Fat Lucic and Tyler Seguin's filthy Swiss apartment.
   1346. steagles Posted: January 10, 2013 at 06:48 PM (#4344542)
just to make a comment on the brian kelly to the eagles rumors:

i cannot imagine that he would leave notre dame for this job, but there is a not insignificant number of connections between him and the eagles franchise. he coached 3 current eagles when he was at cincinnati (jason kelce, brent celek, and marty gilyard), and since he's been at notre dame, he has sent guys like michael floyd, kyle rudolph, and harrison smith to the NFL, and while none of those 3 were actually drafted by the eagles, the eagles were fairly strongly connected to them during the pre-draft process.

so, while it does seem to be kind of random for the eagles to interview him at this time, there is a current that connects them beneath the surface.
   1347. DA Baracus Posted: January 10, 2013 at 06:58 PM (#4344548)
just to make a comment on the brian kelly to the eagles rumors:

It's nothing more than him trying to get a better contract from Notre Dame. Like Bill O'Brien did (now he gets say in who the next AD is, 'cause that was never a problem at PSU!). Nothing to see here, move along. Looks like Notre Dame isn't buying it, which is smart by them.

It's from Dave Bolland's wedding in July.

Ah yes. I knew I had seen it somewhere.
   1348. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 10, 2013 at 07:06 PM (#4344553)
I'm going to be annoyed if the Falcons don't win Sunday. Not because they didn't win, but because all of the asshats assume they won't.
   1349. zack Posted: January 10, 2013 at 07:07 PM (#4344554)
No matter how fat or skinny Dustin Byfuglien is at any given time, Dustin Byfuglien Is Fat. Like how Kyle Wellwood Is Fat.
   1350. A Fatty Cow That Need Two Seats Posted: January 10, 2013 at 07:17 PM (#4344560)
i cannot imagine that he would leave notre dame for this job, but there is a not insignificant number of connections between him and the eagles franchise. he coached 3 current eagles when he was at cincinnati (jason kelce, brent celek, and marty gilyard), and since he's been at notre dame, he has sent guys like michael floyd, kyle rudolph, and harrison smith to the NFL, and while none of those 3 were actually drafted by the eagles, the eagles were fairly strongly connected to them during the pre-draft process.

this is some classic stuff
   1351. Tripon Posted: January 10, 2013 at 07:22 PM (#4344563)
If the Falcons don't win on Sunday, does Mike Smith gets fired? Been a head coach for 5 years, never won a playoff game. Despite having teams that can make deep playoff runs.
   1352. Petunia inquires about ponies Posted: January 10, 2013 at 08:04 PM (#4344597)
Yes. I think they're going to lose and that Smith is going to get fired. And I'm going to agree with Sam. Although writing this post sort of makes me one of those selfsame asshats. Hm.

Anyway, the Falcons can't tackle, and you can't beat Seattle (even away from home) if you can't tackle.
   1353. zenbitz Posted: January 10, 2013 at 08:08 PM (#4344603)
Sam, the Seahawks are en fuego. Frankly, as a 49er fan I think I would rather play the Falcons in Atlanta than the Seahawks in SF (but of course we have to beat the Packers first and that ain't easy). Burke at Advanced Football Stats says the game is going to be very close... but he doesn't count special teams (which is neither a plus or a minus, just a note)

Actually I think with Seattle's Clemens out and Justin Smith (and to a lesser extent, Aldon Smith) injured I think the road to the superbowl is bit clearer for both the Falcons and the Packers.
   1354. Tripon Posted: January 10, 2013 at 08:17 PM (#4344611)
Chip Kelly on the Falcons would be interesting.
   1355. Petunia inquires about ponies Posted: January 10, 2013 at 08:18 PM (#4344612)
If the Packers beat the Niners, they're going to the Superbowl... if the Niners win, I'd also much rather see them go to Atlanta than play Seattle here, but I don't know that I'd feel very good about their chances either way. I also think the Packers are the only team in the NFC that can beat the Broncos.
   1356. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 12, 2013 at 06:15 PM (#4345744)
Crickets???

Top notch start to this game.
   1357. DA Baracus Posted: January 12, 2013 at 06:40 PM (#4345756)
To the surprise of no one, Brian Kelly is staying at Notre Dame.
   1358. JJ1986 Posted: January 12, 2013 at 07:05 PM (#4345761)
Torrey Smith is playing an awesome game.
   1359. Petunia inquires about ponies Posted: January 12, 2013 at 07:18 PM (#4345765)
The Moreno TD seemed unfair. How does a human being make that throw, and how does a running back make that catch?

Denver's defense not looking as dominant as I expected. That Baltimore O-line is doing a lot of heavy lifting to cover up some of Flacco's (numerous) shortcomings.

I thought it was odd how many snaps Hester got in the 2nd quarter.

But mostly I've been busy doing all the rituals from that Bud Light 'Superstitious' commercial to get ready for the Niners game.
   1360. DA Baracus Posted: January 12, 2013 at 07:32 PM (#4345774)
Denver's defense not looking as dominant as I expected.

To be fair, they are playing with ten men and Keith Brooking's corpse.
   1361. JJ1986 Posted: January 12, 2013 at 07:33 PM (#4345775)
To be fair, they are playing with ten men and Keith Brooking's corpse.

Could not possibly have been more well timed.
   1362. DA Baracus Posted: January 12, 2013 at 07:35 PM (#4345777)
Could not possibly have been more well timed.

I am away from the TV at the moment. What happened?
   1363. JJ1986 Posted: January 12, 2013 at 07:36 PM (#4345778)
I am away from the TV at the moment. What happened?

Fumbled snap; Brooking fell on it.
   1364. DA Baracus Posted: January 12, 2013 at 07:38 PM (#4345779)
Fumbled snap; Brooking fell on it.

Meh. Fumble recovery is luck. Brooking's legs died four years ago. I'm amazed he's still in the league.
   1365. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 12, 2013 at 07:38 PM (#4345780)
If the Falcons don't win on Sunday, does Mike Smith gets fired?

I'd be shocked if Mike Smith got fired, either way. About the only certainty if the Falcons lose is Tony Gonzalez doesn't retire.
   1366. JJ1986 Posted: January 12, 2013 at 07:45 PM (#4345784)
Bill Vinovich was a substitute ref during the season and hasn't been a regular ref since 2006. Why did he get a playoff game?
   1367. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: January 12, 2013 at 08:31 PM (#4345795)
Wow. That's some home-field refereeing for Denver right there.
   1368. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 12, 2013 at 08:36 PM (#4345797)

What, the holding on the corner? He clearly had a hand on the receiver. That's going to get called most of the time.
   1369. Tripon Posted: January 12, 2013 at 08:38 PM (#4345798)

Hey, the Ravens didn't get screwed over by the tuck rule. Progress.
   1370. AuntBea Posted: January 12, 2013 at 08:39 PM (#4345799)
The reffing has been incredibly poor all game, but it seems that so far Baltimore has come out slightly ahead.
   1371. Tripon Posted: January 12, 2013 at 08:44 PM (#4345801)
The reffing has been incredibly poor all game, but it seems that so far Baltimore has come out slightly ahead.

Its probably still a result of the ref lockout. These guys are just not prepared as much as they should be.
   1372. DA Baracus Posted: January 12, 2013 at 08:52 PM (#4345805)
Its probably still a result of the ref lockout. These guys are just not prepared as much as they should be.

In the past they used the same crews as the regular season. In the playoffs they are mixing them up. That's one factor.
   1373. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:00 PM (#4345807)
Well, look at that.
   1374. Tripon Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:00 PM (#4345808)
And John Fox should be kicking himself.
   1375. McCoy Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:00 PM (#4345809)

Oh my god.
   1376. smileyy Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:01 PM (#4345811)
That's the worst pass coverage I've seen on a professional level.
   1377. Petunia inquires about ponies Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:01 PM (#4345812)
That is the single worst-covered play I've seen all year.

Coke to smileyy
   1378. booond Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:04 PM (#4345813)
That ball hung up there forever.
   1379. Tripon Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:04 PM (#4345814)
Why the hell is Denver waiting for overtime? THERE'S 30 SECONDS LEFT AND TWO TIMEOUTS.
   1380. DA Baracus Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:04 PM (#4345816)
Why the hell is Denver waiting for overtime? THERE'S 30 SECONDS LEFT AND TWO TIMEOUTS.

Two words: John Fox.
   1381. McCoy Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:05 PM (#4345817)
Is Smith coaching the Broncos or something?
   1382. AuntBea Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:06 PM (#4345818)
and none for baltimore either, so if they don't convert on 1st and 2nd they can run out the clock on 3rd down. I hate hate hate that.
   1383. DA Baracus Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:08 PM (#4345819)
I would not find Peyton Manning guilty if he murdered his coaching staff during the TV timeout.
   1384. Tripon Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:09 PM (#4345820)
Is Peyton Manning hurt? The last two minutes doesn't make sense unless he is, and Denver is trying its best to hide it.
   1385. smileyy Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:09 PM (#4345821)
I would not find Peyton Manning guilty if he murdered his coaching staff during the TV timeout.

Maybe he can frame a safety for it.
   1386. Tripon Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:10 PM (#4345822)
A group of crows or ravens is called a murder. Which is what Peyton Manning is going to do to his head coach if Denver loses this game.
   1387. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:12 PM (#4345824)
Maybe he can frame a safety for it.
I don't think the Bronco safeties will be able to get behind that.
   1388. Tripon Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:15 PM (#4345827)
That's a catch by Bolden.
   1389. AuntBea Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:16 PM (#4345828)
I think the refs got that right, sadly.
   1390. zenbitz Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:18 PM (#4345829)
I am really, really glad I don't care who wins this game. It's quality entertainment, though
   1391. Jim Wisinski Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:19 PM (#4345830)
The twin decisions of running on third down and running out the clock with 30 seconds and two timeouts left are so typical of John Fox, the man is probably the most risk-averse person in the entire NFL. He is completely unsuited to making game management decisions while having Peyton Manning as his QB.
   1392. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:21 PM (#4345833)
The Raven defense is getting a nice long rest here. Too bad for them Joe Flacco is their quarterback.

EDIT: I'm with everyone wondering WTF on Fox's two end-of-game decisions. Those are the decisions of a man without a spine.
   1393. McCoy Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:21 PM (#4345834)
Too bad we don't get to see what smith would do with manning as qb.
   1394. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:23 PM (#4345836)
I'm still in awe of the terrible coverage on the last Baltimore TD.
   1395. Tripon Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:23 PM (#4345837)
Joe Falco's a restricted FA this off season. He probably gets re-signed, but the temptation is there for an upgrade if possible.
   1396. Tripon Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:24 PM (#4345839)
Manning's throwing like he's hurt.

edit: Or old.
   1397. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:25 PM (#4345841)
Flacco ought to change his name to Falco.
   1398. Tripon Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:26 PM (#4345842)
Its hilarious how unsubtle the CBS broadcasters are bashing the refs in this game.
   1399. Jim Wisinski Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:27 PM (#4345843)
Flacco ought to change his name to Falco.

Only allowable if he starts saying "Hands off my prey" during interviews.
   1400. NTNgod Posted: January 12, 2013 at 09:28 PM (#4345845)
Sam Shields with a pick 6 in the "other game"

Kaepernick = Cheesehead secret agent for the Pack :P
(although wearing that Brewers hat earlier this week may have blown the cover)
Page 14 of 84 pages ‹ First  < 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Sheer Tim Foli
for his generous support.