Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, November 06, 2012

OT: NFL/NHL thread

i estimate that absolutely noone gives a damn about the NHL, so by folding that thread into this one, we won’t distract from what this thread is really about: boner pills, blood doping (is it low t?), and…jesus christ did mike vick just throw another ####### interception?

steagles Posted: November 06, 2012 at 12:03 AM | 8370 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nfl, nhl

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 23 of 84 pages ‹ First  < 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 >  Last ›
   2201. bunyon Posted: January 18, 2013 at 11:29 AM (#4349824)
Of course -- as a law enforcement matter. There's nothing saying the athletic department or university can't take a parallel look to see if the players should still be on the team. That kind of thing happens all the time. Some schools have Student Disciplinary Councils and the like that look at such things.

Fair enough. I thought you were suggesting the investigation should be led by the university.
   2202. bunyon Posted: January 18, 2013 at 11:29 AM (#4349825)
@2200: I thought my post may have been out of line so deleted it. Glad you saw it first and enjoyed it. :)
   2203. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM (#4349827)
I was trying to keep him out of it!

OK. You're forgiven. I always loved when I pulled a Manu Tuiasosopo card form a pack of football cards. That's just a fun name to say.
   2204. ASmitty Posted: January 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM (#4349829)
I thought my post may have been out of line so deleted it. Glad you saw it first and enjoyed it. :)

Trust me, I would have loved to. And at the time I was single and had the disposable income to make the trip if I had fallen hook, line, and sinker. I cannot imagine showing up on the other side of the US only to find out I'm playing homewrecker.

Thankfully it takes more than a pretty face and a love of Cowboy Bebop to snare this angler. Not a lot more, mind you, but more :)
   2205. Greg K Posted: January 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM (#4349832)
A friend of mine from Toronto recently went to Newfoundland to meet a girl he met online. (Or not, I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, it's possible he met her in person in Toronto, but continued the relationship online for some time).

Anyway, he was telling me about his trip, and mentioned off-hand that the girl was married. So naturally I consoled him with a "bummer".

But apparently he had already known about the husband before the trip. As did the husband know about him, and was cool with it.

So I guess there are some happy stories in online romance.
   2206. zack Posted: January 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM (#4349835)
Newfies, amirite?
   2207. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM (#4349870)
If there's a TV show about catfishing, one naturally wonders whether the catfishing is created for the TV show.

I tend to think that his only way out of this is literally to claim that this was for the show or something.

----

Keep in mind that this wasn't just "Oh, I have a girlfriend, oh sure I've met her" as a cover for an online relationship. He spent several media interviews pimping the fact that he was helping her as she was dying from cancer, basically making himself into a hero for all he did and had to deal with. So really his story HAS to be true - he has to be the biggest dupe in teh world - for him not to be seen as just a complete jackass.

2208. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM (#4349872)
You visited each other for a week, twice. Therein lies the material difference.

Yes. At some point there should have been a visit or three, a video chat or thirty, a face to face meeting. It's not like she was overseas.
   2209. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM (#4349877)
My wife showed me a TMZ article where Tuiasosopo auditioned for The Voice and told them some outlandish sob story about a car accident where a friend was rendered comatose. Apparently he just likes to do this stuff for fun and/or attention.

That's one of the things that struck me about Te'o's story: the sheer amount of death and near death situations involved. Just major, life threatening or life ending issues. The girlfriend was in a car accident. She nearly died twice - was in a coma, on life support or something, etc. At one point he was "told" she was about to die from the car accident so he said his final goodbyes. Then she lived. But she had debilitating injuries. Then she found out that she had cancer. Then "she" died. Meanwhile, her father had recently died or something. Etc etc. How unlucky did this 22 year old girl have to be for this to be true? And the media swallowed it whole.
   2210. ASmitty Posted: January 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM (#4349880)
It's becoming clearer that Tuiasosopo is indeed a stone cold sociopath, so I guess that does make the elaborate conspiracy required by Te'o's story somewhat more believable. But still, Ray sums it up pretty well.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I typed that before 2209...though I don't disagree with that either.
   2211. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM (#4349884)
ESPN:

Te'o's agent, Tom Condon, said the athlete had no plans to make any public statements in Bradenton, Fla., where he has been training with other NFL hopefuls at the IMG Academy.
   2212. steagles Posted: January 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM (#4349886)
As for me, I cannot believe how incredibly gullible and naive people are about online relationships. Until you see them on Skype or in person, THEY ARE A MAN.
welcome to the internet: where men are men, women are men, and childrne are FBI agents.
   2213. ASmitty Posted: January 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM (#4349889)
welcome to the internet: where men are men, women are men, and childrne are FBI agents.

"I was chatting with a 12 year old girl last night. Turns out she's an undercover cop. How cool is that for someone her age?"
   2214. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: January 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM (#4349892)
Te'o's agent, Tom Condon, said the athlete had no plans to make any public statements in Bradenton, Fla., where he has been training with other NFL hopefuls at the IMG Academy.

Poor Jack Swarbrick. He's been so trusting and supportive of Te'o during this whole situation. Now, it turns out Te'o has changed his mind about speaking out and made Swarbrick to look foolish.
   2215. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM (#4349893)
TMZ:

Manti Te'o is telling friends ... he knew the truth about Lennay Kekua in early December ... but continued the lie for 20 days for the sake of his team.

...But sources tell us ... Manti didn't tell his coaches about the hoax until Dec. 26 ... because he thought it would be a huge distraction while the team prepared to face Alabama in the BCS Championship.

During the 20 days, we're told Manti struggled over how to handle the situation ... but eventually felt compelled to come clean to his coaches.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz2ILVJaaYh
   2216. bunyon Posted: January 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM (#4349896)

"I was chatting with a 12 year old girl last night. Turns out she's an undercover cop. How cool is that for someone her age?"

Did you nail her?
   2217. JJ1986 Posted: January 18, 2013 at 12:40 PM (#4349897)
If he really did know about it on the 6th and tweeted about his "dead girlfriend" on the 8th, that's damning evidence.
   2218. ASmitty Posted: January 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM (#4349898)

I don't think there's much incentive for Te'o to speak at the moment. Every NFL team has a security team that will be investigating Te'o. That means 32 separate, in-depth investigations, plus those be conducted by most major and minor US news outlets.

If Te'o is lying, it does him no good to tell more lies before the results of those inquiries go public. If he's telling the truth and is (rightfully) humiliated, then the least painful route is to admit to only those facts that the investigations disclose.

Personally, I would get out there and say something. But I don't know if that would actually be rational.
   2219. ASmitty Posted: January 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM (#4349900)
Did you nail her?

No cam, no slam. That's my motto.
   2220. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM (#4349903)
Te'o should have paid attention to the message!

And, yes, that is a young Carlton!
   2221. Moe Greene Posted: January 18, 2013 at 12:49 PM (#4349905)
I can relate to this story, as I was once Catfished to an extent. This was in my younger, stupider days, ~10 years ago. Short form of the story:
- Girl contacts me through an old university roommate (i.e., old college classmate connected the two of us). I don't remember her, but she claims to have met me, roommate, and several other acquaintances.
- We began chatting. Over the course of several months, we became pretty good friends and chatted pretty frequently -- a few times per week, on average. This isn't nearly to the extent of the Te'o story, as this was purely a friendship -- nothing romantic. I was in a relationship at the time, and so was "she." Nevertheless, we talked about some things going on in our private lives, our relationships, etc.
- My friend vanishes for no apparent reason.
- Several months later, the friend reappears to email me and my girlfriend at the time our _entire_ chat logs covering those several months. Girlfriend at the time was obviously not happy to see me refer to her in less-than-flattering terms, so that was the beginning of the end of that relationship.
- The friend hasn't resurfaced since.

I never found out who this person was, how or if she was connected to me (i.e., whether she actually knew any of my acquaintances in university), or why she selected me in the first place.

Anyway, needless to say I learned my lesson about talking with strangers on the interwebs. Better earlier than later.
   2222. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: January 18, 2013 at 12:49 PM (#4349906)
If he really did know about it on the 6th and tweeted about his "dead girlfriend" on the 8th, that's damning evidence.

Nah, he'll just say what Ray quoted -- I kept it quiet and continued the charade for the sake of the team. That story has the added advantage of explaining away his awful performance in the "national championship" game -- how can you have expected me to play well when all this was going on?
   2223. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 01:18 PM (#4349929)
Nah, he'll just say what Ray quoted

Yes, and the problem is that he has to walk too many prior statements back. "Well, yes, I was deceptive there, but here's why. Yeah, I was deceptive there too, but it was for this reason. Sure, I stretched the truth with that comment also, but I had a good reason. I continued the charade after I found out it was a hoax? That was for the team."

This is one of the reasons I believe Clemens over McNamee in their steroids dustup. McNamee constantly had to walk various statements he made back. Over and over again McNamee had to admit to a lie and then explain it away. "Yes, I lied to the media, but it was for this reason. Yes, I lied to the feds initially when I told them Clemens was clean, but I did it to protect Clemens. Yes, I lied to the feds when I told them I didn't have any physical evidence, but I did it because I didn't want to hurt Clemens as much as I could. Oh, sure, I lied about the number of Knoblauch injections - but let me tell you why I did that."

Meanwhile, Clemens never had to explain away a lie, never had to walk a statement of his back, not a single time.
   2224. JJ1986 Posted: January 18, 2013 at 01:33 PM (#4349942)
If he hadn't made an unsolicited tweet about cancer, then his teammates certainly would have noticed that something was wrong.
   2225. DA Baracus Posted: January 18, 2013 at 01:38 PM (#4349946)
The plot thickens:

Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the man who has been publicly identified as being behind the Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax, called a church friend in early December crying and admitted to duping the Heisman finalist, the friend told Outside the Lines Thursday.

2226. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: January 18, 2013 at 01:43 PM (#4349950)
Here's Teo's best story, and it works:

1. Just because she turned out not to be "real" doesn't mean I didn't heroically play through my "girlfriend's" death from leukemia. Just because there wasn't a "girl" and she didn't "die" didn't mean I didn't think there was, and that's all that matters.(*)

2. Once "she" called me after "she" "died" to say that she was no longer dead, making me suspicious, I didn't want to harm my team's preparation for the BCS final. So I continued to act as if nothing had changed. I'm a leader and all about the team.

3. It shouldn't have, but the whole situation affected my play in the BCS final.

Barring new evidence, there's nothing there to disprove any of the above.

(*) Which is why I mused yesterday about the nature of "existence" here. Given the apparently accepted parameters of online relationships, Teo's girlfriend did die of leukemia.
   2227. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 01:50 PM (#4349958)
1. Just because she turned out not to be "real" doesn't mean I didn't heroically play through my "girlfriend's" death from leukemia. Just because there wasn't a "girl" and she didn't "die" didn't mean I didn't think there was, and that's all that matters.(*)

2. Once "she" called me after "she" "died" to say that she was no longer dead, making me suspicious, I didn't want to harm my team's preparation for the BCS final. So I continued to act as if nothing had changed. I'm a leader and all about the team.

3. It shouldn't have, but the whole situation affected my play in the BCS final.

4. God, I am insanely stupid.

2228. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 01:53 PM (#4349959)
From DA's link:

Swarbrick said that the relationship took place online and over the phone. Te'o had described staying on the phone with whom he thought was Kekua for hours each night over many months. Tuiasosopo's friend from church told ESPN that Tuiasosopo admitted to having his female cousin speak to Te'o over the phone.

Ok, so, according to this in fact there _was_ a girl posing as Kekua. If true, that obviously helps Te'o.

And apparently two people say that their cousin - a different person - was duped as well in a scam by Tuiasosopo using the same name of Kekua:

Finally, the family convinced Vaosa's cousin that something wasn't right and he needed to cut things off not only with Kekua, but Tuiasosopo, whom they were convinced was the real Kekua, Tuioti-Mariner said.

But I don't understand this part. The two cousins of this other person who was duped began tweeting/joking as if they were in on the scam when they weren't?

Then this fall, Vaosa and Tuioti-Mariner saw the story of Te'o's dying girlfriend.

"When I found out about the Samoan football player (and) his girlfriend, his Grandma died the same day, I was like, 'Whoa this is crazy,' I feel so bad for him, so I just looked him up," Vaosa said. "I found out his girlfriend's name was Lennay Kekua. And right when I read the name Lennay Kekua, I immediately thought of Ronaiah. Then I thought of my cousin -- that this has to be the same person."

The cousins say they were convinced Te'o was being victimized, but say they were uncertain of what to do. They say they began tweeting their suspicions. Many of their tweets were laced with sarcasm including claims that "they" were the real Lennay Kekua. After Deadspin.com broke the story on Te'o and Swarbrick held a news conference, Vaosa and Tuioti-Mariner found reporters at their door and say there were threats made to them and their families on Twitter.

Lots of cousins flying around.

Also, they've identified the girl in the pictures:

Another person involved in the hoax has come forward as well. The woman whose photos were portrayed as Kekua was identified by Inside Edition as Diane O'Meara. Her lawyer told the program that her client is also a victim and that her photos were stolen and used to create the illusion of Te'o's girlfriend.

2229. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 01:59 PM (#4349967)
I don't think the Te'o as patsy story works, because it doesn't make any internal sense. Yes, he could have been fooled by an online romance. But not *this* kind of romance in *this* way. Nor are his past statements consistent with what he's saying now.
   2230. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 02:00 PM (#4349969)
Poor idiot kid. Next thing you know, some conman will try to feed him some ####-&-bull crap about golden tablets & a god who lives on a planet called Kolub.

Oh, wait.
   2231. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 02:01 PM (#4349971)
Barring new evidence, there's nothing there to disprove any of the above.

There's a lot that still wouldn't add up.

But phone records, phone records, phone records. Show the phone records. I want to see evidence of the hours per night he spent talking to this fake person.
   2232. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 02:04 PM (#4349973)
Also, if he's innocent, no reason not to talk. There are no criminal issues for him to worry about, and his best-case reputation as a blazing fool couldn't possibly get any lower.
   2233. JJ1986 Posted: January 18, 2013 at 02:08 PM (#4349980)
If Te'o was a victim then he:

1. lied about meeting her in 2009 at Stanford.
2. lied to his father (or had his father lie) about her visiting him in Hawaii multiple times
3. did not get suspicious when she failed to show up in Hawaii multiple times
4. probably lied about talking to her on the phone every night
5. gave his parents the impression that she might be his future wife despite the paucity of their interaction.
6. gave different dates of death during different interviews
7. lied about sending flowers to her funeral
8. mentioned her dying of cancer at least twice after he knew that she was fake
   2234. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 18, 2013 at 02:09 PM (#4349982)
When can we start talking about the NFL again?
   2235. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 02:11 PM (#4349985)
When can we start talking about the NFL again?

After your Falcons lose.

And not before.
   2236. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 02:11 PM (#4349986)
When it stops being boring?

I.e. never?
   2237. Flynn Posted: January 18, 2013 at 02:18 PM (#4349991)

That's a Samoan thing, pretty much any friend of the family who is Samoan will be referred to as cousin.
   2238. ASmitty Posted: January 18, 2013 at 02:29 PM (#4350004)

Growing up, I spent several years in Hawaii. To say it is insular would be an extreme understatement. I'm still not sure which people were actually related to which other people.

EDIT: Coke to Flynn
   2239. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 02:29 PM (#4350005)
6. gave different dates of death during different interviews

We don't know that's true. It could have been simple media ########## - God knows they get enough other things wrong.

7. lied about sending flowers to her funeral

We don't know that isn't true, either. He might have been sent an address for the funeral home by one of "Lennay's relatives", and FTD or whoever just made the delivery to whomever lived there.
   2240. Petunia inquires about ponies Posted: January 18, 2013 at 02:33 PM (#4350009)
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/behind-teo-hoax-qa-deadspins-burke

Brief interview with the Deadspin editor who co-authored the original story. Basically no new info, just a bit of context, except that Burke says they began investigating 'Kekua' because of anonymous email they received on the 11th (this part was new to me anyway).
   2241. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: January 18, 2013 at 02:40 PM (#4350016)
At the end of all this, there really isn't much to the Deadspin story other than the guy saying he was 80% sure Teo was in on it. There isn't any corroboration for that and this is shaping up to be a non-story, even on its own terms. Teo professing to be more valiant and devoted than he actually was (the phone call length, the flowers) isn't remotely a story.

In any sane world, Notre Dame paying lawyers/investigators on Teo's behalf, and the university's wildly disparate treatment of Teo and the two dead students would be far bigger stories.
   2242. ASmitty Posted: January 18, 2013 at 02:49 PM (#4350028)
There isn't any corroboration for that and this is shaping up to be a non-story, even on its own terms.

Yet. There will be more dominoes to fall here, and it remains to be seen whether they will be good or bad for Te'o. This isn't over by a long shot.
   2243. ASmitty Posted: January 18, 2013 at 02:55 PM (#4350035)
In any sane world, Notre Dame paying lawyers/investigators on Teo's behalf, and the university's wildly disparate treatment of Teo and the two dead students would be far bigger stories.

Disparate? In all three cases ND made inquiries and found out that ND was blameless! They're a hallmark of consistency...
   2244. DA Baracus Posted: January 18, 2013 at 02:57 PM (#4350036)
Giving Te'o the benefit of the doubt:

1. lied about meeting her in 2009 at Stanford.

Plausible white lie that I am sure people who have "dated" online only have and continue to give. Online-only relationships are perceived as strange things weirdos do.

2. lied to his father (or had his father lie) about her visiting him in Hawaii multiple times

Also plausible. Didn't want to tell his dad he was embarrassed and let him down.

4. probably lied about talking to her on the phone every night

I can buy the theory that they had text-only communication and he lied about it to make it sound more real.
   2245. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 18, 2013 at 02:57 PM (#4350039)
Disparate? In all three cases ND made inquiries and found out that ND was blameless! They're a hallmark of consistency...

Exactly.
   2246. JJ1986 Posted: January 18, 2013 at 03:01 PM (#4350045)
We don't know that isn't true, either. He might have been sent an address for the funeral home by one of "Lennay's relatives", and FTD or whoever just made the delivery to whomever lived there.

If they gave him a non-funeral-home address as a funeral home, that's a huge risk to be taking.
   2247. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 03:10 PM (#4350053)
If they gave him a non-funeral-home address as a funeral home, that's a huge risk to be taking.

As opposed to contacting some totally unconnected woman and having her hold up a sign she doesn't understand and take a picture of it? This whole thing is just a big heap of stupid risks - what's one more?
   2248. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 03:18 PM (#4350057)
Some interesting details in this piece, which summarizes an interview given by Te'o's uncle Alema Te'o.

The three items that were of the most interest to me:
*Ronaiah introduced a nine-year-old girl to Alema and claimed that she was Lennay's cousin. The girl actually appears to have been Ronaiah's sister.
*Ronaiah spoke about starting a leukemia charity, and collecting money for a supposed cancer-stricken friend of Lennay's who needed money for tuition at Stanford. That would give him a financial motive for pursuing the hoax.
*Alema speculated that Ronaiah may have hired a similar-looking girl to meet with Te'o and pose as Lennay during one or more of their reported meetups. That seems unlikely to me, but I guess it's not any stranger an idea than anything else we've learned so far.
   2249. Howie Menckel Posted: January 18, 2013 at 03:29 PM (#4350065)

tweet d'jour

RJ Bell @RJinVegas

Teams that score 40+ in the playoffs are 3-20 against the spread the next week.
   2250. ASmitty Posted: January 18, 2013 at 03:39 PM (#4350074)
Teams that score 40+ in the playoffs are 3-20 against the spread the next week.

A common betting heuristic. Another one is betting on teams that are playing at home the week after getting trounced on the road. When Arizona came home after getting drubbed in Seattle, I pretty much emptied my betting account wagering on them.
   2251. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 03:47 PM (#4350083)
The Bears have let both Mike Tice and Rod Marinelli go, according to ESPN.
   2252. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: January 18, 2013 at 03:54 PM (#4350090)
Losing Marinelli sucks. The rumor is that he is taking a demotion to leave the Bears. I guess he was not happy about the changes.
   2253. Nasty Nate Posted: January 18, 2013 at 03:59 PM (#4350097)
The spreads appear to be at 4 and 8 points.

The Pats/Ravens over/under is around 51. The over looks really juicy considering how fast the Pats offense has been playing.
   2254. zack Posted: January 18, 2013 at 04:00 PM (#4350098)
When it stops being boring?

So, 3 pages back? At least hockey starts tomorrow. Does anyone know if NBC streams the west coast game for east coast viewers? I was hoping it'd get pushed to NBCS but it doesn't look like it. It'll be blacked out on Center Ice*, right?

*assuming they're doing a free preview again.
   2255. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: January 18, 2013 at 04:03 PM (#4350101)
Tice is obviously not a surprise. Marinelli is one of Lovie's closer friends - the Bears tried to hire him as DC the same year they hired Lovie but TB wouldn't let them*. So while a disappointment, it's also not really a surprise.

*It had something to do with a squabble between George Halas and George Allen back in the day - Allen's son was the GM of TB. Halas sued Allen to keep him on the Bears' coaching staff; Halas won but still let Allen leave for a new job. Bad blood resulted.

2256. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 06:45 PM (#4350295)
Deadspin has a rundown of the several times AFTER December 6th that Te'o commented publicly about his dead girlfriend. Hadn't seen this one before:

Also on Dec. 8, Te'o went on ESPN Radio with Freddie Coleman and Mel Kiper Jr. (Starts at the 4:23 mark.)

Coleman: You lose your girlfriend and your grandmother the same week, right? I just want to make sure I've got that correct.

Te'o: "Correct—same day, same day."

Coleman: "Same day. So what do you think both of those ladies would say to you, being a Heisman Trophy finalist?"

Te'o: "I hope that my grandmom, and my girlfriend, would say that they're proud."

Also, we have:

Some time after Jan. 9, Notre Dame sent a videographer to interview an alumnus raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in Lennay Kekua's name. They posted the interview on the university's official YouTube channel on Jan. 15.

http://deadspin.com/5977167/what-did-manti-teo-say-about-his-dead-girlfriend-after-hed-learned-she-wasnt-real?tag=manti-te.o
   2257. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 07:09 PM (#4350310)
So Te'o was supposed to speak on Thursday, and that was scrapped.

Now we learn from Yahoo that earlier he had told the school he would comment on Monday. They claim they delayed their press conference because of that, and then were scooped by Deadspin.

Quoting:

Some administrators were pressing for a unilateral public disclosure by the school, while others wanted to let Te'o himself make the stunning news public, the source said. Notre Dame officials were in contact with Te'o's agent, Tom Condon of Creative Artists Agency, and were told the Heisman Trophy runner-up planned to release his version of events Monday. The decision was made to wait and let Te'o and CAA control the message.

But that disclosure never came, and instead the news broke in a bombshell report from Deadspin on Wednesday afternoon.

"Their plan was Monday," the source said. "In hindsight, we shouldn't have given them that time."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--sources--manti-te-o-s-representatives-passed-on-chance-to-release-story-about-fictional-girlfriend-175521027.html
   2258. DA Baracus Posted: January 18, 2013 at 07:14 PM (#4350312)
Uh, what?

Manti Te'o has told family and friends that the woman who was the voice of his fictitious girlfriend “Lennay Kekua” called him in December and said she had to fake her own death months earlier to elude drug dealers, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser has learned.

The woman, who has yet to be identified, tried to re-engage a relationship with Te‘o months after she supposedly had died of leukemia in early September, the Notre Dame All-American linebacker has told the people close to him. The account was shared with the Star-Advertiser by a source close to the Te‘o family.

According to the account, Te'o asked the woman to transmit a photo to him with a date stamp, which she did, but this did not allay his suspicions and he later told his family and Notre Dame officials about being scammed.
   2259. Machine Posted: January 18, 2013 at 08:19 PM (#4350342)
I wouldn't have predicted the evasion of drug dealers but something like that does make an awful lot of sense. Lennay is in trouble and Manti is simply protecting her.

It really does show how much the two are in love. Te'o is allowing himself to be ridiculed nationally because he knows that if he reveals that Lennay is not just real, but still alive, that the drug dealers are going to try to hunt her down.

I only hope that Lennay and Manti can meet again once it is safe for her to come out of hiding. Maybe Te'o is currently secretly working with the police so that they can track down the drug dealers.
   2260. jobu Posted: January 18, 2013 at 09:21 PM (#4350372)
Maybe Te'o is currently secretly working with the police so that they can track down the drug dealers.

Obviously, they'll need to get O.J. furloughed given his experience tracking down the real killers.
   2261. Langer Monk Posted: January 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM (#4350391)
At least hockey starts tomorrow. Does anyone know if NBC streams the west coast game for east coast viewers? I was hoping it'd get pushed to NBCS but it doesn't look like it. It'll be blacked out on Center Ice*, right?

Only the CBC game is on Center Ice at 3pm, according to the schedule, and I think there's still the free preview. Try the NHL Extra think on the NBC sports website - it looks like it may show both games..?
   2262. zenbitz Posted: January 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM (#4350410)
I thought this was an odd concordance:

Football Outsiders have the Patriots with a 68.8% chance to win, Advanced Football Stats has it at 67%
Both pick the Niners 55:45.

Not sure how that translates into point spreads exactly, but I think it's roughly 25% = 7 points so call it NE -5, SF -1.5

Would not have expected the % to come out so close between the two methods.

The 40 points last week = terrible against the spread confused... but I realized that it's likely bettors having a short memory.
   2263. Random Transaction Generator Posted: January 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM (#4350422)
At least hockey starts tomorrow.

It's a triple-header on CBC (3pm, 7pm, 10pm).
I'm pretty sure the Prime Minister is going to declare it a national holiday...
   2264. zack Posted: January 19, 2013 at 01:07 AM (#4350435)
Each of the 3 p.m. games also can be seen online at NHL.com and NBCSports.com. The Stanley Cup Championship banner-raising ceremony at Staples Center will be part of the NBC broadcasts.

From the NHL site.
   2265. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: January 19, 2013 at 03:24 AM (#4350449)
Football Outsiders have the Patriots with a 68.8% chance to win, Advanced Football Stats has it at 67%
Both pick the Niners 55:45.

Not sure how that translates into point spreads exactly, but I think it's roughly 25% = 7 points so call it NE -5, SF -1.5

Would not have expected the % to come out so close between the two methods.

FWIW, the moneyline splitting the vig on each side comes out at about 65/35 SF/Atl, and 77/23 NE/Bal. Both of those are too high imo, which is normal for playoff games, since public money always tends towards the favorites.

The 40 points last week = terrible against the spread confused... but I realized that it's likely bettors having a short memory.

Yeah it doesn't mean that those teams do poorly, just that the books bump the line too high. After a dominating performance, they know a ton of money is going to come in on that team, no matter where they set the line, so they set it high, even though the team will probably put in a performance on par with the rest of their season. The chances of 2 playoff teams being genuinely 10 points apart is really small. 3 and 20 is probably fluky though-

2266. steagles Posted: January 19, 2013 at 05:22 AM (#4350456)
marty mornhinweg is the new jets offensive coordinator.

if they're going to deliberately sabotage rex before the season even starts, they should just go ahead and fire him now.
   2267. steagles Posted: January 19, 2013 at 06:37 AM (#4350461)
oh, and since this is opening day for hockey, the flyers lines are projected to look something like this:

Scott Hartnell - Claude Giroux - Brayden Schenn
Max Talbot - Sean Couturier - Jakub Voracek
Matt Read - Scott Laughton - Wayne Simmonds
Ruslan Fedotenko - Eric Wellwood - Zac Rinaldo

Kimmo Timonen - Luke Schenn
Nicklas Grossmann - Braydon Coburn
Andrej Meszaros - Kurtis Foster

Ilya Bryzgalov
[Michael Leighton]

i don't know. the offense is looking very thin. i'm not a huge fan of read, and simmonds and hartnell are coming off of career years, briere is out, so that's a hit (if only a temporary one), and they lost jagr and JVR this offseason. giroux is great and there's upside with schenn and couturier (who were both scoring about a PPG in the AHL), plus maybe i'm underestimating fedotenko, but when you look at the penguins (malkin, neal, and crosby) and the rangers (richards and gaborik and nash and callahan) and the bruins (lucic, krejci, and seguin), the flyers do not appear to have that kind of depth at the top of the roster. if you're doing a dispersal draft of the above players, even if you take as given that giroux is the best, there's noone else on the roster who's at that level.

on the plus side, i like that talbot-couturier-voracek line, and i like laughton and simmonds together (though i'd prefer having someone a bit bigger than read on their wing, and i'd also be much happier with them as a 4th line as opposed to a 2nd/3rd line). and i'm not exactly optimistic about schenn at this point, but there could be a ton of upside if he clicks with giroux. and looking at the rest of the team, if they want to go anywhere this season, they need schenn (and couturier) to really step up their offensive game.

on the defense, i like what i see. since last year's trade deadline, they've added foster (6'5, 220), schenn (6'2, 230), and grossman (6'3, 230) to a corps that had coburn (6'5, 220) and may also finally get back andrej meszaros (6'2, 220). they lost out on weber, but this is still a much improved corps over last year.

and then there's bryz. i'm optimistic. last year was kind of a perfect storm of #### that could go wrong, in that he started out slow, then the defense was obliterated by injury (hard as it may be to remember, they were expecting to have a healthy chris pronger leading the way), and just when he started to get into gear (he had 4 shutouts, a .947 save percentage and a 1.43 GAA in 13 games in march), he broke his foot going into the playoffs.

with a significantly improved defense in front of him, and having had a year to gel with the city and the organization, he needs to play well.

then on the PP, figure something like hartnell-giroux-simmonds-timonen-schenn (luke) on the first unit and schenn (brayden)-couturier-voracek-read-foster on the 2nd.

and on the PK, maybe couturier-voracek-schenn-timonen and laughton-talbot-coburn-grossman.
   2268. Fridas Boss Posted: January 19, 2013 at 08:48 AM (#4350469)
Manti speaks:

http://news.yahoo.com/nfl--manti-te-o-speaks-for-first-time-since-revelation-of-girlfriend-hoax---043012320.html
   2269. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 19, 2013 at 09:50 AM (#4350475)
Manti speaks:

http://news.yahoo.com/nfl--manti-te-o-speaks-for-first-time-since-revelation-of-girlfriend-hoax---043012320.html

Mainly, Teo admits to misleading people about the relationship - including his father, and telling his father he met her; Teo claims it was because he was embarrassed that he hadn't met her.

Also, he claims that he continued to carry on after December 6th because he wasn't yet convinced that it was a hoax, and that conclusion took some getting around to.

Still need the phone records. The phone records would be a game changer.
   2270. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: January 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM (#4350480)
From Deadspin:
As for why Te'o never visited his dying girlfriend in the hospital, he told Schaap, "It never really crossed my mind."

Girlfriend in a coma, I know
I know - it's serious
Girlfriend in a coma, I know
I know - it's really serious

There were times when I could
Have "murdered" her
(But you know, I would hate
Anything to happen to her)

NO, I DON'T WANT TO SEE HER
   2271. DA Baracus Posted: January 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM (#4350520)
Te'o says that he didn't believe it was a hoax until 2 days ago. WTF.

He says 6 weeks after she died he had another girlfriend. WTF.

He says that when people hear the whole story they'll understand. WTF, you had a press conference and a 2 hour interview with ESPN.

He does't believe gullible is in the dictionary.
   2272. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 19, 2013 at 03:17 PM (#4350600)
He continues to maintain that he spoke with her nightly for a long stretch.

tmz:

Manti says he now knows -- presumably from Tuiasosopo -- "Two guys and a girl are responsible for the whole thing." He says he doesn't know the identity of the second guy or the girl. He adds he didn't know for sure until Wednesday that it was all a hoax, when Tuiasosopo admitted it to him.

So this gives something more to pin down: two guys and a girl.

As for one of the big questions -- why didn't he at least Skype -- he says he tried to speak with Lennay through Skype or FaceTime several times, but the person on the other end was in a "black box" and couldn't be seen. He says he also tried meeting her a few time in L.A. and Hawaii, but she kept canceling.

And this is a little weird ... Manti says Lennay once asked him for his checking account number so she could send him money. He did not provide it. Still, no suspicion.

Manti says the fictitious relationship was not a full four years -- they would take breaks, but it got intense after she said her father had died.

Yes, so "intense" that he never saw her face.
   2273. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 19, 2013 at 03:31 PM (#4350608)
Yes, so "intense" that he never saw her face.

Ray, a 20 year old, Mormon millennial at Notre Dame is going to have a different idea of what an "intense" relationship might be than, say, a 40 year old Gen-X lawyer from New York.
   2274. Langer Monk Posted: January 19, 2013 at 04:10 PM (#4350621)
Who knew Dave Grohl worked for the Kings as an equipment guy?
   2275. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: January 19, 2013 at 04:10 PM (#4350622)
So this gives something more to pin down: two guys and a girl.

And a pizza place?
   2276. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 19, 2013 at 04:22 PM (#4350626)
Accepting Te'o's version of events, he comes across as extremely gullible, if not downright stupid, but that is usually the case with those that get duped. I suspect the involvement of fellow Samoans (and co-religionists?) made him less wary than he might otherwise have been, but I'm not seeing any evidence that Te'o was part of the hoax - which many were very quick to suggest when the story broke. Not sure if Schapp or the ND investigatiors had access to phone records, but presumably they'd go a long way toward establishing the actual truth.
   2277. Petunia inquires about ponies Posted: January 19, 2013 at 04:22 PM (#4350627)
http://instantrimshot.com/index.php

EDIT: Damn while I was deciding whether or not to link the autoplay version, YC posted. This is in reference to [2275] if it wasn't clear
   2278. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 19, 2013 at 04:40 PM (#4350632)
but I'm not seeing any evidence that Te'o was part of the hoax - which many were very quick to suggest when the story broke.

Well, to believe he wasn't part of it means that one would have to believe a whole host of highly implausible things. And at best he's already admitted to telling a series of lies, to misleading and lying to people close to him, to lying in public interviews, to creating a highly misleading and basically false impression of the situation, which means that he sat there as the entire nation (well, the subset of the nation that cares about college football) watching Charlie Rose and ESPN and NCAA broadcasts and reading SI and print media were led to believe something that was - even under the best case scenario for him - a cousin of the truth but not the actual truth as he understood it. So I don't really see the reason to give him the benefit of the doubt as to whether he was lying.

We really don't have all the evidence in yet. The proper identifications, stories from the participants, the phone records, any texts and emails - of which there would have to be some - the plane tickets where he flew to Hawaii to see her, the skype chat logs, etc.
   2279. booond Posted: January 19, 2013 at 04:42 PM (#4350633)
Manti says Lennay once asked him for his checking account number so she could send him money. He did not provide it.

About as subtle as an email from a Nigerian general.
   2280. DA Baracus Posted: January 19, 2013 at 04:47 PM (#4350634)
NHL refs are in midseason form, calling Coburn for a penalty because Crosby got sandwiched between Giroux and Grossman.
   2281. zack Posted: January 19, 2013 at 04:50 PM (#4350637)
Blackhawks get off the PP schneid early, hopefully that'll mean good things. It was a 5v3, but last year they couldn't score on those either.

And Hossa gets a good bounce to make it 2-0. And holy #### FROLIK SCORES. It's the end of the world.
   2282. zenbitz Posted: January 19, 2013 at 04:55 PM (#4350640)
One last bit of insight (from Danny Tuccitto at Football outsiders) - both Kapernick and Ryan pass much better when not pressured. OK, duh, but by that he means "they have a bigger pressure/no pressure split than average QBs". On of SFs worst games last year was against the Ravens where the Ravesn A-gap blitzed the heck out of SF. That managed to shut down both the inside run game and put Alex Smith under tremendous pressure when trying to pass. Held them to 170 yards on 45 plays with 9 sacks.
   2283. booond Posted: January 19, 2013 at 05:02 PM (#4350644)
Kapernick and Ryan pass much better when not pressured.

Small sample with Kapernick but it wouldn't shock me that, at this point in his career, he isn't a quick decider.
   2284. Howie Menckel Posted: January 19, 2013 at 05:16 PM (#4350654)

Yep, that's why I wonder if the unflappable Kaepernick won't be as flapped as the unflappable Wilson was late 1st half last week - only with a louder Atlanta crowd this time, and with a Falcons team with loosened sphincters. I think the 49ers are better, but home field could mean a lot....

2285. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 19, 2013 at 05:38 PM (#4350664)
Yep, that's why I wonder if the unflappable Kaepernick won't be as flapped as the unflappable Wilson was late 1st half last week - only with a louder Atlanta crowd this time, and with a Falcons team with loosened sphincters. I think the 49ers are better, but home field could mean a lot....

I personally think it comes down to John Abraham's ankle or what sort of game Jonathan Massaquoi can provide in his place. I would like to see more blitz packages than we saw last week against the Seahawks, and I'd like them to do it in the A-gap with the linebackers, because I don't think Thomas DeCoup off the edge is going to do anything but bounce right off of Kaepernick.
   2286. zack Posted: January 19, 2013 at 05:52 PM (#4350665)
They are actually calling obstruction on defenseman at the blue line. Please, please let this last more than a week.
   2287. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 19, 2013 at 05:58 PM (#4350667)
It's kind of funny to see in-game hockey chatter. New experience for me :-)
   2288. Howie Menckel Posted: January 19, 2013 at 06:23 PM (#4350674)

yes, good point on Abraham, too.

2289. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: January 19, 2013 at 06:45 PM (#4350678)
HOCKEY IS BACK! SO HAPPY!
   2290. Petunia inquires about ponies Posted: January 19, 2013 at 06:49 PM (#4350679)
That managed to shut down both the inside run game and put Alex Smith under tremendous pressure when trying to pass. Held them to 170 yards on 45 plays with 9 sacks.

The Boone/Goodwin/Iupati combo has played MUCH better this year than Iupati/Goodwin/Snyder last year. Goodwin's improvement in particular this season has been massive. He gets less guard help than most centers I've ever seen; last week he was basically on an island against Raji all game and totally abused him. And Boone's development has been a joy to watch.

Even setting aside the questions about Abraham's health/readiness, I don't think repeated A-gap blitzes is a recipe for success against this offensive line, not to mention against Kaep's ability to get to the outside. Blitzing a LB up the middle just reduces your options for containment.

For anyone interested in this kind of stuff I can't recommend Football Outsiders highly enough (and Ben Muth's articles specifically). This may have been linked here before, but well worth reading:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2013/word-muth-san-francisco-clinic
   2291. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 19, 2013 at 06:54 PM (#4350681)
It's kind of funny to see in-game hockey chatter. New experience for me :-)

It confuses me, but mostly because as an Atlantan, my main relationship to hockey is reading headlines about how our team has left to move to the wilds of western Canada. Which seems odd to me, because I don't know why you'd incubate dragon eggs beneath the Wall.
   2292. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: January 19, 2013 at 07:06 PM (#4350683)
Tough loss for the Flyers, but they only have themselves to blame for not being able to tie it up with 2 power plays in the final 6 minutes.
   2293. Langer Monk Posted: January 19, 2013 at 07:08 PM (#4350684)
The next time Atlanta gets a hockey team should be really good news for Saskatchewan.
   2294. Langer Monk Posted: January 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM (#4350760)
Devils win, Rangers lose. Oh, how I've missed you, hockey.
   2295. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: January 20, 2013 at 01:04 AM (#4350813)
Michael Crabtree has met voluntarily with police regarding an alleged sexual assault. So either he did it, someone is making stuff up, or somewhere in between. Either way, I'll have to have that in the back of my head when I root for the Niners. Ugh. I hate this part of sports.
   2296. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: January 20, 2013 at 10:51 AM (#4350863)
HISTORICAL ALERT:

As the self-appointed head of the All-American Football Conference Appreciation Society, let me be the first to note the possibility of the first all-AAFC Super Bowl. Now if those two parvenus from the 60's will kindly step out of the way....
   2297. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: January 20, 2013 at 11:22 AM (#4350873)

As the self-appointed head of the All-American Football Conference Appreciation Society,

And here I thought I was a diehard with my ABA loyalty ...
   2298. Greg K Posted: January 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM (#4350886)
because I don't know why you'd incubate dragon eggs beneath the Wall.

You know nothing, Sam Snow.

(And Winnipeg is clearly Craster's Keep...those folks are beyond the last barrier of civilization)

EDIT: Upon reflection this may explain why my ex-girlfriend from Manitoba disliked her dad so passionately.
   2299. DA Baracus Posted: January 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM (#4350888)
let me be the first to note the possibility of the first all-AAFC Super Bowl.

The 49ers and ???
   2300. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: January 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM (#4350889)
Ex-Browns.
Page 23 of 84 pages ‹ First  < 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama
for his generous support.