Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, November 06, 2012

OT: NFL/NHL thread

i estimate that absolutely noone gives a damn about the NHL, so by folding that thread into this one, we won’t distract from what this thread is really about: boner pills, blood doping (is it low t?), and…jesus christ did mike vick just throw another ####### interception?

steagles Posted: November 06, 2012 at 12:03 AM | 7987 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nfl, nhl

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 24 of 80 pages ‹ First  < 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 >  Last ›
   2301. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: January 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM (#4350890)
The 49ers and ???

The Browns/Ravens, not the AAFC Seahawks/Colts, which was a one year NFL franchise before being disbanded. The 49ers and the Ravens represent the only surviving AAFC franchises.

EDIT: Instead of a coke, a rousing rendition of the Baltimore Colts/Ravens marching song to Slivers. Best marching song in NFL history.
   2302. DA Baracus Posted: January 20, 2013 at 12:02 PM (#4350895)
The Browns/Ravens

Sort of. The Ravens are considered a separate franchise from the Browns. But I get what you're saying.
   2303. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: January 20, 2013 at 12:12 PM (#4350899)
Sort of. The Ravens are considered a separate franchise from the Browns.

It's more like the other way around. When the Browns moved to Baltimore, the Ravens got the original Browns' players, while three years later the expansion Browns got to keep the original Browns' uniforms. The fact that PFB-Reference lumps the two Browns' franchises together is little more than revisionist history, since there's zero player continuity between the two Browns' franchises.
   2304. DA Baracus Posted: January 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM (#4350901)
The fact that PFB-Reference lumps the two Browns' franchises together is little more than revisionist history.

No it isn't, that's the way it is. The Ravens record books only go back to 1996. The Browns history has a three year gap. It was part of the agreement with the NFL for them to move, they had to leave everything historical behind.
   2305. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: January 20, 2013 at 12:24 PM (#4350904)
where's Joe The Jet Perry when you need him?
   2306. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: January 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM (#4350912)
The fact that PFB-Reference lumps the two Browns' franchises together is little more than revisionist history.

No it isn't, that's the way it is. The Ravens record books only go back to 1996. The Browns history has a three year gap. It was part of the agreement with the NFL for them to move, they had to leave everything historical behind.

As someone once said, you can call a mule a horse, but that doesn't make him one. That paper agreement and the uniforms are the sole links between the two Browns' franchises. Everything else from the ownership to the players runs a straight line between the original AAFC Browns and the 2013 Ravens. By the reasoning you're using, the fact that the Ravens use the same fight song as the Baltimore Colts means that the Indy Colts aren't connected to Baltimore.
   2307. DA Baracus Posted: January 20, 2013 at 01:04 PM (#4350922)
Everything else from the ownership to the players runs a straight line between the original AAFC Browns and the 2013 Ravens.

Yeah, again, I get that. Personally I think it's kind of lame that Cleveland pitched a fit and had them leave it behind.

By the reasoning you're using, the fact that the Ravens use the same fight song as the Baltimore Colts means that the Indy Colts aren't connected to Baltimore.

This is absurd.
   2308. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: January 20, 2013 at 01:13 PM (#4350928)
When the Supersonics moved from Seattle they also left behind their name and history (I think) -- I think it's a better solution in the modern era than having the Oilers in Tennessee or the Jazz in Utah.
   2309. Random Transaction Generator Posted: January 20, 2013 at 01:26 PM (#4350933)
Of course, all this team name stuff is nothing compared to the insanity that is the NHL.

Winnipeg Jets -> Phoenix Coyotes (retired famous Jets names/numbers, like Dale Hawerchuk, hang in the rafters)
Atlanta Thrashers -> Winnipeg Jets (no famous Jets names/numbers in the rafters)

2310. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: January 20, 2013 at 01:47 PM (#4350941)
Everything else from the ownership to the players runs a straight line between the original AAFC Browns and the 2013 Ravens.

Yeah, again, I get that. Personally I think it's kind of lame that Cleveland pitched a fit and had them leave it behind.

I can fully understand why Cleveland did that from an emotional and civic pride POV, and obviously Otto Graham and Jim Brown wore the same colors as Brandon Weeden and Trent Richardson. I'm only making the historical point that the Ravens franchise is a direct descendant of the original Browns franchise, in the same way that the current St. Louis franchise originated in Cleveland.

By the reasoning you're using, the fact that the Ravens use the same fight song as the Baltimore Colts means that the Indy Colts aren't connected to Baltimore.

This is absurd.

Not really. In both cases you have a franchise (Browns/Ravens and Baltimore Colts/Indy Colts) moving from one city to another, while tokens of sentiment (the uniforms in Cleveland's case, the marching song in Baltimore's) transferred by contract to the new team in the city. Both the original Browns' uniforms and the Baltimore Colts' marching song were integral parts of their cities' identities, and it was only natural that the replacement franchise would want to keep them, even if in Baltimore's case it took awhile to make the switch.
   2311. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: January 20, 2013 at 01:56 PM (#4350952)
Of course, all this team name stuff is nothing compared to the insanity that is the NHL.

Maybe so, but the NFL has some pretty spiffy lineage, like the Brooklyn Dodgers > Brooklyn Tigers > Boston Yanks > New York Bulldogs > New York Yanks > Dallas Texans** > Baltimore Colts > Indy Colts. And the NBA's Rochester Royals > Cincinnati Royals > Kansas City/Omaha Kings > Kansas City Kings > Sacramento Kings isn't too shabby, either.

**A one year team which won its only "home" game in Akron, Ohio on Thanksgiving Day 1952, before a crowd of 2,500 in the stadium known as the Rubber Bowl.
   2312. JJ1986 Posted: January 20, 2013 at 02:01 PM (#4350954)
In both cases you have a franchise (Browns/Ravens and Baltimore Colts/Indy Colts) moving from one city to another, while tokens of sentiment (the uniforms in Cleveland's case, the marching song in Baltimore's) transferred by contract to the new team in the city

The Ravens got tokens of sentiment. The Browns got tokens of sentiment plus all of the old records. It's not because of the uniforms that they're considered the continuation.
   2313. DA Baracus Posted: January 20, 2013 at 02:06 PM (#4350958)
Not really. In both cases you have a franchise (Browns/Ravens and Baltimore Colts/Indy Colts) moving from one city to another, while tokens of sentiment (the uniforms in Cleveland's case, the marching song in Baltimore's) transferred by contract to the new team in the city. Both the original Browns' uniforms and the Baltimore Colts' marching song were integral parts of their cities' identities, and it was only natural that the replacement franchise would want to keep them, even if in Baltimore's case it took awhile to make the switch.

I never said anything about the uniforms, the band or any other "token of sentiment."
   2314. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: January 20, 2013 at 02:30 PM (#4350965)
The Ravens got tokens of sentiment. The Browns got tokens of sentiment plus all of the old records.

Again, they "got" the old records only because of a special deal. That doesn't negate the historical fact that the Ravens are the linear descendants of the original Cleveland Browns franchise, with overlapping ownership and overlapping rosters. A stepchild may inherit his stepfather's estate, but that doesn't mean he sprung from his stepfather's loins.

It's not because of the uniforms that they're considered the continuation.

Then why didn't they just adopt new uniforms?
   2315. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: January 20, 2013 at 02:51 PM (#4350974)
It's not because of the uniforms that they're considered the continuation.

Then why didn't they just adopt new uniforms?

You have cause and effect backwards. They aren't a continuation of the Browns because they adopted the old unis. They adopted the old unis, because they are a continuation of the old team.
   2316. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: January 20, 2013 at 03:18 PM (#4350989)
You have cause and effect backwards. They aren't a continuation of the Browns because they adopted the old unis. They adopted the old unis, because they are a continuation of the old team.

Emotionally, of course they are, and if you close your eyes and just look at the uniforms you can pretend that those purchased record books are really a "continuation" of a franchise that in fact is now wearing purple jerseys and playing the Patriots in a few hours. That's the sort of reality that negotiations can substitute for actual history.

But in unaltered reality the current Browns are adopted stepchildren in a family where the birth children all ran off with their father and disowned their birth mother. For "a continuation of the old team" it's sure strange that they didn't have a single player or executive who carried over from the Cleveland Browns of 1995.
   2317. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: January 20, 2013 at 03:34 PM (#4350997)
Emotionally, of course they are, and if you close your eyes and just look at the uniforms you can pretend that those purchased record books are really a "continuation" of a franchise that in fact is now wearing purple jerseys and playing the Patriots in a few hours. That's the sort of reality that negotiations can substitute for actual history.

But in unaltered reality the current Browns are adopted stepchildren in a family where the birth children all ran off with their father and disowned their birth mother. For "a continuation of the old team" it's sure strange that they didn't have a single player or executive who carried over from the Cleveland Browns of 1995.

How many players or executives from the 95 Browns are in the franchise wearing purple, and playing the Patriots today. By your logic, the 2013 Ravens are not a continuation of the 1995 Browns either.
   2318. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: January 20, 2013 at 03:49 PM (#4351003)
How many players or executives from the 95 Browns are in the franchise wearing purple, and playing the Patriots today. By your logic, the 2013 Ravens are not a continuation of the 1995 Browns either.

????? In the case of the original Browns franchise and the Ravens, there's been significant year-to-year overlap in ownership, executives, coaching staff and/or rosters. In the case of the original Browns franchise and the current Cleveland Browns, the only continuity is in the city and the uniforms. The fact that none of the 2013 Ravens played for the 1995 Browns means no more than the fact that no current member of the Indians' 2012 roster was with the Indians in 1995.

Of course none of this has anything to do with memory, and from an emotional POV there's no reason to think that Cleveland fans shouldn't consider Brian Sipe and Earnest Byner as part of their DNA, just as Ravens fans think of Johnny Unitas and Art Donovan as belonging to Baltimore and not Indianapolis. These are two completely different issues, even if trying to combine them can sometimes make it a bit confusing.
   2319. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: January 20, 2013 at 04:00 PM (#4351009)
The fact that none of the 2013 Ravens played for the 1995 Browns means no more than the fact that no current member of the Indians' 2012 roster was with the Indians in 1995.

Right, that's the point. It doesn't matter at all for those teams, or any other team, so why should it matter for the Browns.
   2320. Jay Z Posted: January 20, 2013 at 04:28 PM (#4351014)

If you look in the media guides of the Indianapolis Colts, they include the 1947-50 Colts as part of the history of the team. I know that there is no real connection between the two franchises. The 1947-50 Colts were a different franchise with different uniforms and only a couple of players that coincidentally played for both teams.

I know the 1953 Colts got many of their players from the 1952 Texans. They inherited all of the player contracts. They didn't inherit all of the obligations, since there was one outstanding trade where they traded a 1953 draft choice to the Browns. The 1953 Colts were re-gifted with a draft choice in that round, so in that round only there were 13 picks and not 12. Nevertheless, the NFL officially issued a new franchise to Baltimore in 1953. So the Colts were free to disregard their old history.

The Colts could have recognized the Texans nee Yanks nee Bulldogs nee Boston Yanks. But why not the Brooklyn Dodgers too, who merged with the Boston Yanks in 1945 and never returned? But the Dodgers' owners did return, just not in the NFL. Dan Topping and co. took an AAFC franchise, but it wasn't the AAFC Brooklyn Dodgers, it was the AAFC New York Yankees. Also, when the old Brooklyn Dodger players returned from service, more of them went to the AAFC Dodgers than either the Boston Yanks or the AAFC Yankees.

But then the AAFC Yankees and Dodgers merged in 1949. Then the leagues merged in 1950, and the AAFC Yankees/Dodgers were no more. Except that many of the players went to the New York Bulldogs, with a few others going to the Giants and a few more going into the dispersal draft along with former LA Dons, Chicago Rockets/Hornets, and most of the Buffalo Bisons. So there was another merger, sort of. So, if they wanted to, the Colts could trace their ancestry back through two or three teams. They choose to ignore all that, and embrace the history of another team where they shared only the name. That was a decision that probably made sense when the team was in Baltimore, a connection which has been severed.

So there is precedent for linking up histories of franchises that really don't belong together. Really, what the Colts are doing is worse, since the Browns at least had offical NFL policy dictating what the franchise history was going to be before the arrangement took place. The Colts continuing with the 1947-50 history in their record books was revisionist history for a reason that doesn't make sense anymore.
   2321. JJ1986 Posted: January 20, 2013 at 04:45 PM (#4351022)
Holy ####!
   2322. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: January 20, 2013 at 04:46 PM (#4351023)
What. A. Catch.
   2323. DA Baracus Posted: January 20, 2013 at 04:47 PM (#4351024)
I've seen this script before, it was last week.

That said, outstanding catch on that TD.
   2324. MHS Posted: January 20, 2013 at 04:47 PM (#4351025)
Sam - congrats on keeping the faith.
   2325. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:05 PM (#4351030)
Sam - congrats on keeping the faith.

Nothing says faith like the +175 moneyline imo. /jinx
   2326. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:06 PM (#4351031)
Nice catch by White!
   2327. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:14 PM (#4351034)
harbaugh waving at his qb to run the ball is pretty funny
   2328. JJ1986 Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:17 PM (#4351037)
Bad two plays by Nicholas. 15-yard penalty, then he decides not to bother picking up an open Venron Davis.
   2329. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:18 PM (#4351039)
Nothing says faith like the +175 moneyline imo

For the record, I don't wager on any sports.
   2330. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:19 PM (#4351041)
Gotta do something about...that. The TE has been wide open for two weeks in a row now. Every time.
   2331. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:20 PM (#4351043)
the only reason i am leaning toward san fran is that i am anti-dome with a passion

i loathe football being played in domes

possibly irrational but that be the fact
   2332. MHS Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:22 PM (#4351044)
Yes! The reverse jinx is working!

Harvey, What they do in a dome is not football. It is myth.

2333. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:22 PM (#4351045)
For the record, I don't wager on any sports.

That's cause you don't have the stones, internet tough guy.
   2334. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:22 PM (#4351046)
sam

most teams struggle handling good catching tight ends unless they are going to sacrifice a safety for coverage as most linebackers are not up to the task
   2335. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:23 PM (#4351049)
Or the money! His mother's basement has high rent!
   2336. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:24 PM (#4351050)
the only reason i am leaning toward san fran is that i am anti-dome with a passion

i loathe football being played in domes

You realize the SB is in a dome, no matter who wins, right?
   2337. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:24 PM (#4351051)
possibly irrational but that be the fact
I'll take irrational over unnatural, which is what domeball is. Also favor pushing the season back a month and a half for more winter football.
   2338. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:25 PM (#4351052)

so i am not allowed to hate artificial playing conditions?

when you have a point you let me know
   2339. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:26 PM (#4351053)
Also favor pushing the season back a month and a half for more winter football.

This. Football should be played in the elements. Cushy dome teams like the Saints and Falcons don't play real football. They might as well go Arena League.
   2340. MHS Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:27 PM (#4351055)

Which is solely due to marketing concerns.

2341. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:27 PM (#4351056)
even viking fans hate their own stadium
   2342. DA Baracus Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:28 PM (#4351057)
Cushy dome teams like the Saints and Falcons don't play real football.

What's "real football" to you?
   2343. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:32 PM (#4351061)
That's cause you don't have the stones, internet tough guy.

Think what you like. I don't really care. I don't wager. I"m not a bettor. On anything. If you feel this indicates something about the viability of my gonads or penis size, okay.

RE: domes, the Falcons are lobbying hard to build a $1B retractable roof stadium next door to the current GA Dome. It's not going well with state funding, so far.
   2344. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:32 PM (#4351062)
Very effective 2 minute drive.

Association football. (I'm mainly being irrationally curmudgeonly, NFL football is NFL football, I just prefer it when it's not in a dome)
   2345. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:34 PM (#4351064)

outside. in whatever the conditions may be. if it's arizona and 1000 degrees so be it. if it's miami and the humidity is stifling so be it. whatever is the locale let the conditions be the conditions.

if i wanted to see climate controlled i would go to the mall and watch teams play in teh courtyard. the chick-fil-a would be the replay booth.
   2346. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:35 PM (#4351065)

Without DH.
   2347. Howie Menckel Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:36 PM (#4351067)

guys, next year's Super Bowl will be played in New Jersey - outdoors.
Enjoy.

2348. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:36 PM (#4351069)
most teams struggle handling good catching tight ends unless they are going to sacrifice a safety for coverage as most linebackers are not up to the task

Acknowledged, but the gashing gains across the middle to the tight ends, last week against the Seahawks and this game so far to Vernon Davis, is.

Also, to repeat something I said a few pages ago, I'll believe a line backer can cover Tony Gonzalez when I see it, even Patrick Willis.
   2349. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:40 PM (#4351072)
What's going on there is that the Falcons are holding Stephen Nicolaus on the line on every read option, which means the tights come completely uncovered across the slot, more or less man on man with Thomas DeCoup, who's neither big nor a cover guy. (His primary skill is safety coverage over the top.)
   2350. booond Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:41 PM (#4351075)
Lack of pass rush for 49ers is killing them.
   2351. nick swisher hygiene Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:45 PM (#4351076)
somebody who understands football tell me why the Niners haven't tried to run more with Kaepernick....
   2352. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:47 PM (#4351080)
nick

because the falcons looking for it making the decision to force a young kid wiht half a season under his belt to beat them throwing the ball

which is what the packers should have done
   2353. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:48 PM (#4351082)
see, the linebacker right there didn't pinch which leaves the inside run open.

the qb made a good read there
   2354. booond Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:49 PM (#4351084)
which is what the packers should have done

Exactly right.
   2355. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:49 PM (#4351085)
that kid is making good throws
   2356. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:51 PM (#4351086)
What Harvey said. The Falcons are locking down the wildcat by keeping 54 (Nicholaus) more or less covering Kaepernick as a runner. That leaves the middle of the field open for the crosses and slants, and the TEs are killing them there.
   2357. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:51 PM (#4351087)
boond

i should state that green bay tried but did not have the personnel to make it work. walden and jones are back ups and raji picked saturdy to have his worst game of the year with a helping hand of the san fran line being awesome

but the green bay linebackers save for matthews, who wasn't perfect either, were a disaster

and against the read option you need smart linebackers

erik linebacker is a dumb guy. that's just a fact. he couldn't assimilate what was happenign quickly enough
   2358. nick swisher hygiene Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:53 PM (#4351088)
2353--ok, I saw that......tbf, the Niners offense is not their problem today.
   2359. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 20, 2013 at 05:55 PM (#4351090)
For the record, the Falcons' defense plays to give up yardage between the 20s, but then clamp down and hold offenses to FGs. Not working out so far this game.
   2360. zenbitz Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:00 PM (#4351091)
I might have underestimated the Falcons receivers. They are playing lights out. Kudos to Atlantas OK (or boos to Niners pass rush).
I thought this game was going to be a shootout. I even expected the Niners to start slow on Offense as they figured out what defense(s) they were running.
   2361. Howie Menckel Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:00 PM (#4351093)

Never take a timeout there, up 3 with 27 minutes left. eat the 5 yards; that timeout could be HUGE later. too bad the coaches, players, and announcers are too dumb to know it.

2362. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:01 PM (#4351094)
This game isn't far off from a shootout, we've 40% of the game left and it's 24-21.
   2363. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:03 PM (#4351095)
White fell down on that route, for the record.
   2364. steagles Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:05 PM (#4351096)
so, a few things watching the flyers:

1, the schedule might be a really big problem. they lost yesterday against a good team, and that happens, but they're back on the ice less than 20 hours later in a different city, playing a team that isn't playing their 2nd game in 2 days. so this is two games and they have 0 points.

they play 7 games in the first 11 days of the season and 4 of the remaining 5 are on the road. with the season being just 48 games, if they get off to a slow start, they could be counting the days to the draft by mid-february.

2, faceoffs are still an issue. giroux has been good, but everyone else is getting killed and their losses are leading directly to goals against.

3, the defense looks slow. it's too early to definitively say whether that will be a lingering issue, and honestly, the entire team looked slow, but with the compressed schedule, i think it may be more beneficial to have a smaller, quicker, more athletic D-corps that is less of a liability when fatigued. if the flyers can get into the playoffs, the size of the defense should be an advantage, but it seems like it's gonna be a fight to get there.

4, laughton is a player. he deserves to stick with the team, but since he's only the 3rd or 4th line center, it might be a reasonable decision to send him back to juniors to let him continue to develop as a scorer. i'm kind of split on that.

5, the PK is kind of terrible.

6, the refs are still awful.

7, giroux is still awesome.

2365. bunyon Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:05 PM (#4351097)
Also favor pushing the season back a month and a half for more winter football.

Yes. Football in August sucks. Ditto this for schools. It came up a while back that Manning hadn't played much football in cold weather, ever. First game should be in mid-October and the Super Bowl should be played in Winnipeg in late February.
   2366. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:06 PM (#4351100)
All of a sudden, I'm having a hard time seeing a Falcon win here.
   2367. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:07 PM (#4351101)
23 for san fran is a violent runner

like it
   2368. zenbitz Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:07 PM (#4351102)
Yeah I was patting myself on the back for precogging shootout. On the ninersnation.com I called it 45-38. But I didn't pick a winner.
   2369. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:08 PM (#4351103)

Association football. (I'm mainly being irrationally curmudgeonly, NFL football is NFL football, I just prefer it when it's not in a dome)

Tottenham vs. Manchester United was played in a snowstorm today!
   2370. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:08 PM (#4351104)
ouch
   2371. zenbitz Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:08 PM (#4351105)
23 is La Micheal James. He's like 5'10" / 190, he's a scat back / KR.
   2372. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:08 PM (#4351107)
Hadn't occurred to me that the "play for the FG" defense would be notably better against David Akers...
   2373. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:09 PM (#4351108)
WOW.
   2374. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:11 PM (#4351109)
For anyone who hasn't watched a lot of Falcons football this year, the defense you saw on the last third down play, where Moore broke up the pass and forced the FG attempt, is far more what we're used to seeing out of this team. A lot of movement before the snap, disguising the coverages. Worked really well against Peyton Manning early.
   2375. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:13 PM (#4351111)
that was excellent defense
   2376. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:14 PM (#4351112)
Roddy got away with OPI there.
   2377. Tom Nawrocki Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:14 PM (#4351113)
Joe Buck seems to think the 49ers kicker is named "Davidakers."
   2378. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:16 PM (#4351114)
ok niners, there's your gift
   2379. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:16 PM (#4351115)
For anyone who hasn't watched a lot of Falcons football this year, the defense you saw on the last third down play, where Moore broke up the pass and forced the FG attempt, is far more what we're used to seeing out of this team.
Yeah, I haven't seen much Atlanta football this year, and the only time I did watch they were getting pounded. Plus, after SF last week, I just kind of expect a bit more of that this week.

Whoops, fumble.
   2380. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:17 PM (#4351116)
A really terrible time to screw the snap, Matty.
   2381. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:18 PM (#4351118)
ouch, 46 was open there. ouch
   2382. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:19 PM (#4351119)
That's an ill-timed penalty.
   2383. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:19 PM (#4351120)
that's the type of ticky tack call i hate
   2384. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:19 PM (#4351121)
HOLY ####### JESUS! YOU HAVE TO BE SHITTING ME?!
   2385. Tom Nawrocki Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:19 PM (#4351122)
What a cheap roughing the passer foul.
   2386. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:19 PM (#4351123)
That is a very ticky tack penalty.
   2387. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:20 PM (#4351124)
falcons selling out more on the inside

the kid qb has the edge if he wants it
   2388. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:20 PM (#4351125)
That's the worst personal foul I've ever seen.
   2389. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:20 PM (#4351126)
that is a technically correct call

but yes, very annoying
   2390. puck Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:21 PM (#4351127)
I liked Akers in his earlier years; he was a good kicker but also was unafraid (and able) to make make tackles on coverage. It's sad to see him struggling now.
   2391. zenbitz Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:21 PM (#4351129)
Niners getting lucky!
   2392. MHS Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:21 PM (#4351130)
No doubt its a bad call in isolation, even worse when you consider context.

2393. smileyy Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:21 PM (#4351131)
II'm not sure there's a bigger fan of protecting the quarterback than me. And that's a terrible call.

Or, if not, real roughing the passer should be an ejection.
   2394. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:21 PM (#4351134)
If that is a "correct" call the rule book is ######. There is no way that was a personal foul.
   2395. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:23 PM (#4351136)
amazing throw and then a nice run
   2396. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:23 PM (#4351137)
Crabtree, wow. Plus the run.
   2397. Tom Nawrocki Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:23 PM (#4351138)
Sweet catch and run by Crabtree.
   2398. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:24 PM (#4351139)
sam

he hit the quarterback's head. you know the league is hyper=sensitive about that
   2399. zenbitz Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:24 PM (#4351140)
Given the run heavy falcons attack, I think the plan was to trade field goal attempts. Which is just silly conservativism. They cannot be stopped passing, so just pass.
   2400. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: January 20, 2013 at 06:24 PM (#4351141)
that is a technically correct call
Annoying, also easily avoidable. It IS a blow to the head, and he didn't have to do it.
Page 24 of 80 pages ‹ First  < 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
A triple short of the cycle
for his generous support.