Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, November 06, 2012

OT: NFL/NHL thread

i estimate that absolutely noone gives a damn about the NHL, so by folding that thread into this one, we won’t distract from what this thread is really about: boner pills, blood doping (is it low t?), and…jesus christ did mike vick just throw another ####### interception?

clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: November 06, 2012 at 12:03 AM | 7987 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nfl, nhl

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 40 of 80 pages ‹ First  < 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 >  Last ›
   3901. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: April 23, 2013 at 03:33 AM (#4422998)
I think there is basically no chance this happens. I don't see anybody in this draft worth moving up from 12/13 to 4 at any significant price. It doesn't seem like there's any buzz around teams looking to move into the Top 5 either.
what i've seen reported is that joeckel, fisher and johnson are viewed as franchise LTs, and there is some kind of premium placed on drafting one of them over one of the other first round linemen.

now, i have no idea how much of a premium there is to it, but KC needs a tackle, jacksonville needs a tackle, oakland needs a tackle, philly needs a tackle, detroit needs a tackle, arizona, miami, new york, san diego, carolina...and so on. there is definitely someone out there who would give up something of surplus value to be able to draft luke joeckel, eric fisher or lane johnson. the questions at that point are 'how much' and 'is it worth it', and while i have no answer to either of those, i am reasonably certain that someone will move into the top 5 to pick one of these 3.
   3902. Bad Doctor Posted: April 25, 2013 at 01:29 PM (#4425629)
STEAGLES, thoughts on Lane Johnson, which is where the tea leaves seem to be flowing for Philly?

He's kinda the one name in my predraft reading that I've targeted as NOT wanting, given his supposed deficiencies in run blocking. I'd love Joeckel or Fisher playing RT for a couple of years and being groomed as Peters's eventual replacement; Johnson wouldn't seem to be that great a fit at RT in the interim. And not that I need something sexy (unlike you I would really like Milliner, even at 4; I also wouldn't mind dropping back for someone more solid than stellar like Lotulelei or Woerner), but sitting at 4 and taking the third best player at his position in the draft? When that position isn't QB? In a draft that is famously absent of franchise-changing talent? Doesn't sit right with me.

I'm not the NBA guy that you are, but this draft from a Philly sports perspective reminds me of the Sixers "winning" the #2 pick a couple of years ago in what may have been the most meh NBA draft in recent history.
   3903. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: April 25, 2013 at 01:51 PM (#4425653)
He's kinda the one name in my predraft reading that I've targeted as NOT wanting, given his supposed deficiencies in run blocking.

Are the Eagles moving to a zone blocking scheme under Kelly? If so that would mitigate the deficiency and based on his overall rating that could mean he is excellent in pass protection (I have no idea just guessing here) and might therefore be a great fit for Philly.
   3904. Bad Doctor Posted: April 25, 2013 at 01:58 PM (#4425662)
   3905. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: April 25, 2013 at 02:21 PM (#4425675)
Well, in track it involves running kind of sideways and crossing one foot over the other in an alternating pattern. It also basically requires you to swing your arms around to maintain balance and so it looks ridculous.
   3906. JJ1986 Posted: April 25, 2013 at 04:22 PM (#4425784)
Eric Fisher is reportedly being taken by the Chiefs.
   3907. Gamingboy Posted: April 25, 2013 at 06:07 PM (#4425893)
This may be the most boring pre-draft hype cycle I can remember. I mean, it's obvious why: a bad class of QB and RB, mainly.
   3908. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: April 25, 2013 at 07:09 PM (#4425921)
STEAGLES, thoughts on Lane Johnson, which is where the tea leaves seem to be flowing for Philly?
when someone is as big as he is, and can move as well as he moves, it's really hard to argue against him.

he only converted to tackle this past year so he doesn't have a ton of experience there and he kind of came out of nowhere as a result of that, but he looks the part of a franchise tackle off the field and the reason why he's projected in the top 10 now (as opposed to the 2nd/3rd round like he was projected back in january) is because he played like a franchise tackle on the field.

this is one of the interesting developments in the draft in recent years. when a guy like lane johnson comes out of nowhere, there is so much game tape available that teams can go back and watch every snap he takes, and when teams do that with johnson, he looks like a franchise LT.

it's kind of the same thing with eric fisher. his size and athleticism caused teams to look more closely at what he did on the tape, and when he impressed there, it cemented his status as a top 5 prospect.

3909. JJ1986 Posted: April 25, 2013 at 08:06 PM (#4425951)
So...is Joe Namath drunk all the time?
   3910. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: April 25, 2013 at 08:20 PM (#4425959)
I won't even pretend to be able to evaluate collegiate linemen, especially since I hadn't even heard of Eric Fisher until the draft process. Still, it's hard not to be skeptical about choosing the MAC guy over the SEC/Big XII guy with the impeccable pedigree.

If it was the Ravens making this pick, you'd give them the benefit of the doubt. But the Chiefs always seem to find a way to lose on the 50/50 calls.
   3911. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: April 25, 2013 at 08:23 PM (#4425964)
I wonder what a study of pick value for small school guys vs. draft picks as a whole would look like.

I really couldn't begin to guess.
   3912. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: April 25, 2013 at 08:26 PM (#4425968)
fisher and joeckel were the first 2 picks.

with the eagles picking at 4, my wishlist goes: trade down > dion jordan > lane johnson > geno smith.
   3913. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: April 25, 2013 at 08:35 PM (#4425975)
I think there is basically no chance this happens. I don't see anybody in this draft worth moving up from 12/13 to 4 at any significant price. It doesn't seem like there's any buzz around teams looking to move into the Top 5 either.
miami just traded up to #3 and they drafted...dion jordan.

that stings a bit.
   3914. NTNgod Posted: April 25, 2013 at 08:35 PM (#4425976)
Some of the fans are trying to "What?" the commish? This isn't RAW.
   3915. JJ1986 Posted: April 25, 2013 at 08:35 PM (#4425977)
Mike Mayock was absolutely certain that the Dolhpins were about to pick Lane Johnson.
   3916. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: April 25, 2013 at 08:37 PM (#4425980)
ESPN Stats & Info ?@ESPNStatsInfo 1m
Dion Jordan is 3rd Oregon player taken No. 3 overall (Joey Harrington, Akili Smith) #MIAPick

3917. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: April 25, 2013 at 08:44 PM (#4425984)
eagles take lane johnson.

yeah, i'm okay with it.
   3918. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: April 26, 2013 at 02:32 AM (#4426072)
that entire 1st round killed me.

starting with the dolphins pick, you know, if they'd have traded up to 3 and taken lane johnson, i'd have been ecstatic. or, if they had made the same trade with the eagles instead of oakland, again, i'd have been pretty happy about it (though probably somewhat less so considering that cooper and warmack were off the board by the time the raiders picked). so that was a punt cunch right at the top.

but the eagles wound up with lane johnson, so that's still a pretty good get for them. by drafting him, they improve at least 2 spots on the O-line, and considering the overall weakness of the draft, that's about as good an outcome as could be expected.

and then, that 32nd pick just kicked me right there again. i have a lot of confidence in the front office right now, but personally, i'd feel a lot better about their position if baltimore had taken manti te'o instead of matt elam. even if they had no shot at elam anyway, it just would have been a nicer way to end the night.

anyway, right now, i think geno smith should be plan A. there really isn't anyone else left on the board who stands out form their peers as much as he does, so if he's there, i think i'd just bite the bullet and go into training camp with him, vick, foles and dixon.

after smith, my preference is for one of the pass rushers -- damontre moore, margus hunt, cornelius washington, alex okafor, jamie collins. i also like a lot of the NTs -- brandon williams, johnathan hankins, kwame geathers, jonathan joseph -- and TEs -- ertz, escobar, mcdonald, kelce, reed, kasa, fauria, otten -- and DBs, but i think there's enough depth at each of those positions that the eagles wouldn't lose much by waiting to fill those holes at a later point.

the way things look right now, i think i'd be okay if the eagles didn't make a single pick tonight. if they could just trade back and back and back and stockpile picks in next years draft, that would probably do a lot more to turn the franchise around than drafting jonathan cyprien and gavin escobar.
   3919. billyshears Posted: April 26, 2013 at 10:10 AM (#4426169)
miami just traded up to #3 and they drafted...dion jordan.

that stings a bit.

I was thinking of ways to defend myself, but yeah, I was way wrong on that one. I will say that I do think it was a very dumb move for Miami. I can't understand why a team that's pretty far away from contention with a second-year QB would give up a #2 to take a guy who would likely be picked in the 7 - 10 range in an average draft.
   3920. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: April 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM (#4426205)
I was thinking of ways to defend myself, but yeah, I was way wrong on that one. I will say that I do think it was a very dumb move for Miami. I can't understand why a team that's pretty far away from contention with a second-year QB would give up a #2 to take a guy who would likely be picked in the 7 - 10 range in an average draft.

And he's kind of a project, to boot.
   3921. hokieneer Posted: April 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM (#4426299)
I won't even pretend to be able to evaluate collegiate linemen, especially since I hadn't even heard of Eric Fisher until the draft process. Still, it's hard not to be skeptical about choosing the MAC guy over the SEC/Big XII guy with the impeccable pedigree.

Makes me nervous as well. I have no idea how to evaluate the Joekel/Fisher decision until years down the road.

Of course the last time a CMU physical freak LT was available in the first round, I wanted the Chiefs the draft him. Granted Joe Staley was not talked about as the #1 pick, it was towards the end of the first round. KC went with Dwayne Bowe, which has obviously been a good pick, but Staley has been very good as well.
   3922. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: April 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM (#4426310)
I teach at CMU, so it was good to see Fisher go #1.
   3923. DA Baracus Posted: April 26, 2013 at 01:09 PM (#4426332)
given his supposed deficiencies in run blocking.

The NFL is so much a passing league right now and will be that way for some time that run blocking takes a huge back seat to pass blocking and athleticism. The Giants and Packers won Super Bowls with awful running games.

he only converted to tackle this past year

2 years ago.

Good luck to who ever drafts Geno Smith.
   3924. Chicago Joe Posted: April 26, 2013 at 01:32 PM (#4426340)
Now, care to tell me what a "karaoke crossover step" is?

It's actually carioca.
   3925. Kurt Posted: April 26, 2013 at 01:38 PM (#4426345)
It basically sounds like the grapevine.
   3926. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: April 26, 2013 at 06:57 PM (#4426556)
It basically sounds like the grapevine.

Yeah, that's pretty close.
   3927. Tripon Posted: April 26, 2013 at 08:51 PM (#4426638)
The Jets draft Geno Smith, and there's already talk of Sanchez being cut despite the massive cap hit.

Quarterbacks from USC just can't get a brake, with Matt Barkley still on the board. You're talking about a guy who would have been in the top 15 last year. Did team's opinions of him change that much in one year?
   3928. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: April 26, 2013 at 08:52 PM (#4426639)
Good luck to who ever drafts Geno Smith.
J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

that is probably the worst possible outcome for all involved, and i think the only way they could create any more of a ########### is if they draft matt barkley in the 3rd round.

my fingers are crossed
   3929. Tripon Posted: April 26, 2013 at 09:03 PM (#4426648)
that is probably the worst possible outcome for all involved, and i think the only way they could create any more of a ########### is if they draft matt barkley in the 3rd round.

The crazy thing is that the Jets had to do it.

Teams usually overdraft QBs, this year, teams are underdrafting by a good margin (Well, everyone except the Bills, don't know what they're thinking.)
   3930. smileyy Posted: April 26, 2013 at 09:14 PM (#4426660)
So...is Joe Namath drunk all the time?

Wet brain?
   3931. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: April 26, 2013 at 09:51 PM (#4426690)
Quarterbacks from USC just can't get a brake, with Matt Barkley still on the board. You're talking about a guy who would have been in the top 15 last year. Did team's opinions of him change that much in one year?

He also has a shoulder injury he has been recovering from. It can't help that he hasn't been 100% to demonstrate his skills in workouts.

that is probably the worst possible outcome for all involved, and i think the only way they could create any more of a ########### is if they draft matt barkley in the 3rd round

It's not that bad for Smith. The Jets have no ability to develop quarterbacks but that whole staff will be gone in a year. Meanwhile, Smith will have no roster competition.
   3932. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: April 26, 2013 at 10:06 PM (#4426706)
I know absolutely nothing about college football or the draft so I don't know how well the Niners drafted but they did fill their needs.

They lost Goldson and they replaced him with Eric Reid. They wanted someone that could spell/replace Justin Smith and got that with Tank Carradine. Carradine isn't 100% healthy but the Niners can wait on him with Smith. They lost Delanie Walker and replaced him with Vance McDonald. Apparently, he's physically gifted without great hands so he does seem like he's a good replacement for Walker.

I would have liked them to get a quality cornerback but I have to say that they otherwise did a good job filling needs this offseason.
   3933. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: April 26, 2013 at 11:01 PM (#4426754)
i'm not a fan of what the eagles did tonight. i like ertz just fine, but i think he's more in the brent celek mold than the rob gronkowski mold, and i just don't think there's enough difference between him and one of the other TEs who'll be available in the 4th/5th round. he's solid, and like lane johnson he's going to contribute early and be around for a while, but i don't think he's enough of a gamebreaker for me to get really excited about him.

and then bennie logan is 'meh. i can see some upside there, but the eagles could have taken any one of 20 other defensive lineman and i'd feel as good or better about it.

putting aside the fact that i think they should have traded down today at any opportunity, since they didn't, i'd have preferred geno smith or margus hunt or damontre moore at 35. and then cornelius washington, brandon williams, khaseem greene or moore (who was still on the board) at 67.

anyway, i'm targeting defensive playmakers on day 3 if i'm the eagles. bacarri rambo, phillip thomas, duke williams, khaseem greene, alex okafor, trevardo williams, walter stewart.

of those names, i love greene and i love rambo, and walter stewart is going to be an all-pro pass rusher if he can get/stay on the field.

also, i think the eagles need to take a RB with one of their 7th round picks. mccoy is young, ubt he's starting to rack up a lot of miles and it really just takes one hit to take him out. and then chris polk still has the shoulder problem that caused him to go undrafted, and bryce brown is still mostly an unknown, plus he had an issue with fumbling. they don't need a stud here, but with 4 picks in the 7th round, i think it'd be a really good idea to pluck one.
   3934. DA Baracus Posted: April 27, 2013 at 12:57 AM (#4426822)
Teams usually overdraft QBs, this year, teams are underdrafting by a good margin

It's not underdrafting when you take them about where they should go. Heck, they might still be overdrafting. None of these guys look like studs.

The Jets have no ability to develop quarterbacks but that whole staff will be gone in a year.

Marty Mornhinweg's done a nice job improving veterans (McNabb, Garcia, Vick). So of course they give him a rookie that needs work. That's the Jets for you. (Not saying they shouldn't have drafted a QB.)

but i think he's more in the brent celek mold than the rob gronkowski mold

What makes you say this? Stanford lined Ertz up all over the field and he excelled everywhere.
   3935. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: April 27, 2013 at 01:15 PM (#4426954)
so far, my favorite drafts are cincinnati (eifert, bernard, hunt, williams, porter), new orleans (vaccaro, armstead, jenkins), tennessee (warmack, hunter, wilson, gooden, schwenke), baltimore (elam, brown, williams) and arizona (cooper, minter, mathieu, okafor, watford).

each of those teams plucked multiple players that i really like and none of them reached to do it.

meanwhile, i believe the eagles will be going with the napolean plan at QB in training camp. i mean, i have no idea what's going on there, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's kinda weird. there are 4 contenders on the roster, and i would not really be surprised if any of them started the year as the #1 or if any of them were off the team entirely by the start of the season. vick is the incumbent, and so is foles, then dixon is kelly's guy and barkley is...i don't know.

What makes you say this? Stanford lined Ertz up all over the field and he excelled everywhere.
he's a tight end, so i have no doubt that he could put up great numbers, but i don't think he's in that elite class. celek is a hell of a player (though he's been hit in the head so many times that i'd bet his brain resembles swiss cheese), but he's not that player.

after a decade of watching the eagles get beat up and down the seam by witten and cooley, i fully understand that a TE doesn't need to be elite to be productive, but in the 2nd round, with some of the other players on the board, and with the overall depth at TE in the draft, i'd have gone in another direction.

anyway, i'm targeting defensive playmakers on day 3 if i'm the eagles. bacarri rambo, phillip thomas, duke williams, khaseem greene, alex okafor, trevardo williams, walter stewart.
thomas, williams, greene, and okafor are now off the board in the first 20 picks of the 4th round.

i'm crossing my fingers for bacarri rambo now.
   3936. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: April 27, 2013 at 03:41 PM (#4427043)
the eagles aren't slated to pick again until the 7th round, but some names i like there:

of those who really have no business being there: LB kevin reddick, LB/DE cornelius washington, WR ryan swope, S bacarri rambo, CB jordan poyer

and then the rest:
NT: kwame geathers, tj barnes
LBs: mike mauti, walter stewart, phillip steward
RBs: robby rouse, rex burkhead, montel harris
WRs: cobi hamilton, da'rick rodgers, marquess wilson
TEs: nick kasa, joseph fauria, chris gragg (and yeah, those three being available at this point is the main reason i'm not in love with the ertz pick)
OL: chris faulk, xavier nixon, luke marquardt

right now, i think the eagles need a RB, and then i'd like one of the DL/LBs, plus a lottery ticket.

i don't know that he's a fit, and i'm sure he's dropping due to the fact that he's torn his ACL 3 times, but mike mauti would be a really fitting pick for the eagles. they still have never drafted a defensive player from penn state, and mauti would be the perfect guy to break that trend. he's good value, with really high character and if healthy, he's an ideal fit for the 3-4. and if he's not likely to stick this year, they can pretty easily stash him on PUP/IR for the year because of his knee.
   3937. DA Baracus Posted: April 27, 2013 at 05:12 PM (#4427111)
he's a tight end, so i have no doubt that he could put up great numbers, but i don't think he's in that elite class. celek is a hell of a player (though he's been hit in the head so many times that i'd bet his brain resembles swiss cheese), but he's not that player.

after a decade of watching the eagles get beat up and down the seam by witten and cooley, i fully understand that a TE doesn't need to be elite to be productive, but in the 2nd round, with some of the other players on the board, and with the overall depth at TE in the draft, i'd have gone in another direction.

This doesn't address my question.
   3938. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: April 27, 2013 at 05:38 PM (#4427134)
the eagles first 7th round pick is coming up. my wishlist is:
1, chris gragg, TE
2, walter stewart, rush-LB
3, xavier nixon, OL
4, jordan poyer, DB
5, kwame geathers, NT
   3939. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: April 27, 2013 at 06:04 PM (#4427152)
the eagles first 7th round pick is coming up. my wishlist is:
they picked joe kruger. i'm good with that. they probably could have taken him in the 3rd round instead of bennie logan and noone would have batted an eyelash.

and there's poyer to the eagles. that is a steal.
This doesn't address my question.
can i just say gut-feeling?

i think ertz is going to be more of a factor in the 10-15 yard range, whereas an elite TE will do that, plus stretch the defense 30+ yards up the seam.
   3940. smileyy Posted: April 27, 2013 at 06:08 PM (#4427153)
Am I understanding it right that, in two days, the NFL only manages to complete three rounds of the draft?
   3941. Tripon Posted: April 27, 2013 at 06:11 PM (#4427157)

Am I understanding it right that, in two days, the NFL only manages to complete three rounds of the draft?

Its all for (primetime) TV. The draft used to happen over 4 or 5 hours on one day. Then the split it on rounds 1-3 on day one, and rounds 4-7 on day two.

Baseball can't mock football on this because they did the same thing.
   3942. DA Baracus Posted: April 27, 2013 at 06:50 PM (#4427193)
It's three days. Day 1 is just the first round. Day 2 is 2 and 3. Day 3 is 4-7.
   3943. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: April 27, 2013 at 09:38 PM (#4427244)
my initial impressions of overall draft:
johnson, ertz and kruger should be in the league for 10 years. they're just solid players who have a role and should be able to fill it.
logan is an upside pick, i guess. maybe the eagles think they can get him down to ~290 lbs with a good strength/conditioning program. at that point his athleticism would really stand out.
poyer is a straight value pick. he really had no business being on the board, so plucking him was close to a no brainer.
i know nothing about king, but i think i'd have preferred one of the O-linemen: xavier nixon or reid fragel or chris faulk. that's not much of a complaint though.
wolff, eh. rambo was my guy, so wolff was kind of a slap in the face. maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't, but right now i'm not a fan.

and then there's barkley. i've got no idea about that. could be good, could be great, and the worst it will be is insignificant.

overall, i'd go C+ because of the upside with barkley/logan. none of the picks were jaiquawn jarrett, and i can't really quibble all that much with anything they did at this point, but everyone they've brought in is a meat and potatoes kind of guy, and unless barkley becomes aaron rodgers, the entire draft looks more like enhancement talent than featured players.

which isn't to say that's a bad thing necessarily. if these guys are around 5, 6, 7 years from now, there'll be plenty of time for the organization to fill in around them, but now, it's more of an incomplete than a pass or a fail.
   3944. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: April 27, 2013 at 11:21 PM (#4427283)
also, just to put out what i think i would have done:
4, lane johnson, OL
35, margus hunt, DE
67, damontre moore, rush-LB
98, bacarri rambo, S
136, nick kasa, TE
212, chris gragg, TE
218, jordan poyer, CB
239, matt scott, QB

going by what i felt i'd have done at the time of each pick, that's basically where i come down on this draft. i mean, i might have gone for geno smith at 35, or jumped at matt scott sooner than the 7th round, and i definitely would have made it a point to trade down throughout, but for the most part, that's it.
   3945. smileyy Posted: June 10, 2013 at 05:27 PM (#4466190)
So, Bill Belichick really doesn't like the Jets, does he?
   3946. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: June 10, 2013 at 06:39 PM (#4466247)
Should I make popcorn? I don't much care about the NFL but I've love to hear everyone's take on this.
   3947. J. Sosa Posted: June 10, 2013 at 07:37 PM (#4466314)
I'm going to enjoy Tebow signing for the Patriots. Mainly because there are so many talking heads I dislike that hate Tebow and will now be forced to talk about him.

I don't listen to ESPN radio much, but I had to listen to Schlereth talk about Tebow. It sounded like Schlereth was passing a kidney stone.
   3948. smileyy Posted: June 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM (#4466449)
As much as I was...skeptical...about Tebow-mania, I'll kind of enjoy it if the Patriots can use him effectively. This, after the Jets went to great pains and expense to acquire him, only to not use him.

I like seeing bad franchises shown how bad they are.
   3949. McCoy Posted: June 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM (#4466464)
Tebow is still a thing?
   3950. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: June 11, 2013 at 01:46 AM (#4466552)
i actually think pittsburgh would have been a better fit if he still thinks of himself as a QB.

if there's anyone in the NFL who plays even the least bit like tebow it'd be roethlisberger. physical and borderline reckless, though roethlisberger nowhere near as terrible a passer as tebow.

roethlisberger is getting older and starting to miss a whole lot of time, while the steelers have never bothered trying to find A) a capable backup or B) a potential replacement. tebow may not be that guy, but at the very least, if roethlisberger gets taken out for a length of time, you could plug tebow in and continue to run 90+% of the same plays.
   3951. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: June 11, 2013 at 04:44 AM (#4466569)
I feel like the pats signed him to prove he isnuseless. On e of those deals where they expect the guy to get cut in trainning camp
   3952. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: June 20, 2013 at 02:39 PM (#4474170)

New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez has not been ruled out as a suspect in the execution-style murder of a semi-pro football player, law enforcement sources told ABC News on Thursday.

Hernandez, 23, has been at the center of the investigation since the body of Odin Lloyd, 27, was found shot in the back of the head Monday in an industrial park near Hernandez's home in North Attleborough, Mass.

Sources told ABC News that the home security system at Hernandez's home, along with his cell phone, were destroyed. Police were at Hernandez's home again Thursday with another search warrant based on evidence that Hernandez "destroyed his home security system," an investigator close to the case told ABC.

The investigator and other law enforcement sources, confirmed that the security system was smashed intentionally. Hernandez's cell phone was handed over to investigators "in pieces" by his attorneys, sources added.

Well, that seems a bit ... suspicious.

Link

3953. Bitter Mouse Posted: June 20, 2013 at 03:40 PM (#4474222)

He learned from SpyGate.
   3954. zenbitz Posted: June 20, 2013 at 04:07 PM (#4474244)

The investigator and other law enforcement sources, confirmed that the security system was smashed intentionally.

Oh, if only some entity had the call records, this case might well be cracked by now!
   3955. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: June 20, 2013 at 05:23 PM (#4474300)
No discussion of the Falcons' new stadium design?
   3956. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: June 20, 2013 at 05:25 PM (#4474303)
thank you, lt raine.

this has not been a great offseason for all-pro patroits TEs.
   3957. DA Baracus Posted: June 20, 2013 at 05:27 PM (#4474304)
No discussion of the Falcons' new stadium design?

Waste of money.
   3958. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: June 20, 2013 at 05:50 PM (#4474312)
This information about Aaron Hernandez's background is shocking. I had no idea Bristol, Connecticut was enough of a city to have a gang problem. I assumed it was just a cluster of office parks somewhere.
   3959. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: June 20, 2013 at 06:34 PM (#4474330)
Police also want to know why a team of house cleaners were hired on Monday to scrub Hernandez's mansion, sources told ABC News.
   3960. JJ1986 Posted: June 26, 2013 at 03:17 PM (#4478460)
I just turned on Hernandez's hearing at the end, but the prosecutor says that Hernandez enabled the other two men to flee the jurisdiction. Do authorities know who and where they are?
   3961. smileyy Posted: June 26, 2013 at 03:39 PM (#4478480)
I look forward to hagiography of Aaron Hernandez when he retires upon winning a Super Bowl.
   3962. smileyy Posted: June 26, 2013 at 03:41 PM (#4478485)
I had no idea Bristol, Connecticut was enough of a city to have a gang problem.

Small cities are a kind of hidden America with respect to crime, poverty, etc.
   3963. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 08, 2013 at 07:30 PM (#4488188)
   3964. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: August 09, 2013 at 09:42 PM (#4517075)
i'm not gonna read too much into the first preseason game, but one thing that's giving me a lot of optimism for the chip kelly era is the lack of false starts/illegal formations/delay of games. it's the first preseason game in his first year and the absence of those kinds of ####### is a pretty nice change from the reid era.

3965. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: August 09, 2013 at 09:59 PM (#4517080)
and while noone on offense really jumped out and impressed me, there were a few guys on defense who did. vinny curry, bennie logan and damien square all look like contributors on the defensive line. i would not be surprised at all if 2 of those 3 were in the starting lineup alongside fletcher cox by october 1. jake knott looked good at LB. boykin looked good at CB.

3966. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 09, 2013 at 11:09 PM (#4517103)
I watch zero preseason NFL, but I did go out of my way to check total plays, and Chip's Eagles ran 86. I'm gonna bet that's +20 than the typical team today. NE which likes to play fast, had 72 plays.
   3967. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: August 13, 2013 at 05:25 PM (#4519327)
starting this offseason, clay harbor has played TE, FB, OLB and now he's at WR, in addition to playing special teams and maybe getting a look as the longsnapper since the regular guy got concussed.

if he was actually good at any of that, he'd be a really valuable player.

3968. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: September 08, 2013 at 12:04 PM (#4536866)
Predictions?
   3969. JJ1986 Posted: September 08, 2013 at 12:37 PM (#4536881)
Some team predictions:

I like the Panthers to make the playoffs.
I think the Eagles will do better than expected, maybe 9-7.
I think the Texans will drastically underperform; I would pick them to miss the playoffs but I don't trust the Colts. I think the Titans will do better than expected because of their division.
I do not understand the love for the Bengals.
   3970. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: September 08, 2013 at 12:51 PM (#4536890)
NFC division winners: Dallas, Green Bay, Atlanta, Seattle.
NFC WCs: San Francisco, New Orleans.

AFC division winners: New England, Pittsburgh, Houston, Denver
AFC WCs: Miami, Kansas City.

Super Bowl: San Francisco over Denver.

MVP: Peyton Manning.
   3971. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: September 08, 2013 at 01:14 PM (#4536904)
FOOTBAWL TIME!

I can't help myself, I know that it's watching people give themselves brain damage for my entertainment but I still love it.

Now, lets get "karlmagnus voting on the Hall of Merit" iconoclastic with these picks.

AFC
East: Patriots (bye)
North: Cincinnati
South: Colts
West: Denver (bye)
WC: Texans
WC: Ravens

NFC
East: Redskins
North: Bears
South: Falcons (bye)
West: Seahawks (bye)
WC: 49ers
WC: Panthers

Superbowl
Denver over Falcons

MVP: Peyton Manning
   3972. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: September 08, 2013 at 01:15 PM (#4536905)
The Lions just went down the field, get stopped on a 2nd and short on a running play, on third down they decided to throw the ball. They didn't convert on third down. They fumbled the snap on the field goal so they didn't score.

Peterson goes 78 yards on the first play.

Yep, Detroit football.
   3973. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: September 08, 2013 at 01:26 PM (#4536908)
I guess there was a safety on the kickoff in Steelers v. Titans.

eta: wow, there's been 3 safeties so far about halfway through the first quarters. TB, Titans, and KC all have committed them.
   3974. JJ1986 Posted: September 08, 2013 at 01:28 PM (#4536910)
Lots of safeties early today.
   3975. Rafael Bellylard: Built like a Panda. Posted: September 08, 2013 at 01:28 PM (#4536911)
First half-hour of the season (not counting Thursday),and there's been 3 safeties already.
   3976. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: September 08, 2013 at 01:33 PM (#4536913)
More safeties than field goals. Now if only we had the Rouge.
   3977. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: September 08, 2013 at 02:12 PM (#4536936)
Last year's Michigan triumph has been overshadowed by the Michigan QB deciding to throw the ball directly to the other team for a touchdown instead of taking a safety. I guess now teams are now prioritizing safeties so nobody makes fun of them.
   3978. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: September 08, 2013 at 02:22 PM (#4536938)
The Bears have almost 100 yards of offense going into the half. Offensive genius Mark Trestman to the rescue.
   3979. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: September 08, 2013 at 04:17 PM (#4537006)
The Patriots did not look very good against the Bills. They're going to get better as the chemistry between Brady and the receivers improve. But if Amendola and/or Gronk get injured, they don't really have the firepower to be truly elite. They are going to win 10-12 games simply because the division isn't very good.
   3980. JJ1986 Posted: September 08, 2013 at 06:04 PM (#4537098)
Joe Buck is obsessing about a "blown call," but isn't he wrong? A late-hit-out-of-bounds is not a deadball call.
   3981. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: September 08, 2013 at 07:43 PM (#4537143)
Joe Buck is obsessing about a "blown call," but isn't he wrong? A late-hit-out-of-bounds is not a deadball call.hey

They brought in the referee guru and he mentioned it. The offsetting penalties should have lead to the loss of down not a replay of the down.

Anquin Boldin is worth a 6th round pick.
   3982. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: September 08, 2013 at 10:06 PM (#4537190)
Not football related but its on NBC right now... is that Ironsides show a parody?
   3983. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: September 08, 2013 at 10:19 PM (#4537195)
I think if it was a parody of the original "Ironside" show from the 70s they would have changed the name slightly.
   3984. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 08, 2013 at 11:46 PM (#4537223)
Probably this was already posted but:

WTF was up with the clock management by the Bills coach towards the end of the Bills-Patsies game. You're sitting on a lead with 5+ minutes to go and you do things like snap the ball with 23 seconds left on the play clock? What am I missing?

3985. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 08, 2013 at 11:52 PM (#4537227)
As I've said all along, the Pats won't really feel the loss of Wes Welker. He was made, not born. They will make another one of him, because it's more the system than the player. Amendola showed that tonight.

Obviously Welker is a top player -- but plenty of players are nearly that talented if used the same way, with the same quarterback, in the same system, with the same head coach.

They will make new tight ends the same way, to replace Gronkowski and the serial killer.
   3986. jmurph Posted: September 09, 2013 at 10:17 AM (#4537308)
Anquin Boldin is worth a 6th round pick.

So let me get this straight: getting rid of very talented players in order to have the cap space to make the 17th or so best quarterback in the league the highest paid player in league history is not a good idea?
   3987. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: September 09, 2013 at 10:24 AM (#4537312)
Late on the predictions, but:

AFCE: Pats*
AFCN: Bengals
AFCS: Texans*
AFCW: Chiefs
WC: Broncos
WC: Dolphins

NFCE: Washington Football Team
NFCN: Packers*
NFCS: Panthers
NFCW: Seahawks*
WC: 49ers
WC: Falcons (I'd put Lions, but Schwartz is such an awful coach)

*-first round bye

SB: Seahawks over Texans
   3988. zenbitz Posted: September 09, 2013 at 06:41 PM (#4537668)
Re: the Niners/Packers ruckus. True they enforced it wrong, but the league admitted today that Staley should not have been flagged at all (I didn't see him do anything but hold Matthew back and jaw, I assumed that they called the penalty on "random 49er").

Was a pretty good game between playoff caliber teams. Green Bay may have over adjusted to stop the run (giving up 400+ yards passing) but I am not sure how "letting the 49ers run more" is a better strategy. I think their strategy looks genius if Kaep throws up a pick or two. I must admit, I am a fan of the hurry-up as well.

Can anyone who watched Carolina-Seattle explain how Seattle had 320 yards passing (plus 50 rushing), 1 turnover, and 12 points?
   3989. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: September 09, 2013 at 07:38 PM (#4537684)
Can anyone who watched Carolina-Seattle explain how Seattle had 320 yards passing (plus 50 rushing), 1 turnover, and 12 points?
128 of their yards were on drives that ended with a fumble and the end of the game (which means they were just eating clock at that point since they had the lead). four of their drives went 3 and out. two more ended with a FG.

oh, and btw, pro-football-reference has a truly awesome in-depth boxscore to check out for stuff like this.
   3990. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: September 09, 2013 at 07:57 PM (#4537692)
This is the only football I will watch this year and only to see if RG3's leg bends the wrong way before the night is over. So far the Foreskins have butter fingers.
   3991. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: September 09, 2013 at 09:05 PM (#4537707)
This is the only football I will watch this year and only to see if RG3's leg bends the wrong way before the night is over. So far the Foreskins have butter fingers.

No worry. RG3 is staying in the pocket tonight, as all the experts said needed to happen for the offense to work. Nevermind he blew his knee on a pocket passing play.
   3992. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: September 09, 2013 at 09:23 PM (#4537713)
This Eagles offense is just too physical for the Skins. Washington D can't take the play after play punishment. Too fat.
   3993. Kurt Posted: September 09, 2013 at 09:26 PM (#4537715)
Jeez, who the heck do you root for in a DeSean Jackson/DeAngelo Hall fracas?
   3994. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 09, 2013 at 09:41 PM (#4537722)
Chip Kelly's offense doing a number on the DC/VA area this weekend, between the Ducks 59 points against UVA and this.
   3995. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: September 09, 2013 at 09:55 PM (#4537732)
RG3 taking a beating in the pocket tonight. The pocket is the most dangerous place on the football field.
   3996. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: September 09, 2013 at 11:18 PM (#4537764)
RG3 taking a beating in the pocket tonight. The pocket is the most dangerous place on the football field.
the worst thing that donovan mcnabb did here in philly was make the decision that he wanted to be a pocket passer, announce to the media that he wanted to be a pocket passer, and then actually commit to being a pocket passer.

he was a good enough QB to succeed in doing it, but he basically put a bullseye on his own back and said to defensive coordinators 'you know that LB/DB that you used to have to leave 5 yards off the line of scrimmage to spy in case i scrambled? you don't need to do that anymore, so feel free to send him running full speed at me while i wait for james thrash and todd pinkston to get open downfield'.

Jeez, who the heck do you root for in a DeSean Jackson/DeAngelo Hall fracas?
birdflu.

3997. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 10, 2013 at 01:39 AM (#4537794)
Do people think the penalty at the end of the Jets-Bucs game should have been a penalty? Because I don't.
   3998. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: September 10, 2013 at 02:20 AM (#4537797)
The Patriots are going to win a lot of games because they have a great QB in a QB league. They also have a fantastic coach and a weak division. But they did not look good yesterday against a bad team.

Amendola is a good replacement for Welker and he'll be excellent for the Patriots as long as he's healthy. But the Patriots only got 1 reception and 5 yards from their tight ends. They haven't replaced Gronk and Hernandez and it showed.
   3999. zenbitz Posted: September 10, 2013 at 03:51 PM (#4538201)
I wonder if "defense played philadelphia last week" is going to shift betting lines. I am not sure the Philly offensive players can keep it up all season though. I guess they can if the keep running up big leads at half time and easing off the gas. Was fun to watch though. Much of the success has to be pinned on the 'skins offense (or possibly, Philly defense?) though.
   4000. Bad Doctor Posted: September 10, 2013 at 04:24 PM (#4538240)
Do people think the penalty at the end of the Jets-Bucs game should have been a penalty? Because I don't.

I thought I was on an island there. Everyone is killing David, but what is he supposed to do? If he lets up a little, Smith could tiptoe down the sideline for another 10 yards in 1 or 2 seconds and make a long FG a possiblity. He didn't add any additional shoving motion ... he just ran toward Smith with his arms extended to force him out of bounds. And he made contact right as he was crossing the line. Night and day compared to the Kaepernick/Matthews play. Of course, it's not surprising at all to see it called.

In my mind, the rule should be that as the QB gets these outs from contact (sliding too), in exchange they should have to commit to the out a half or full step early. Wait 'til the last second and you invite some contact at your own risk. But I won't hold my breath on the NFL making rules that favor defenders at the expense of QBs.
Page 40 of 80 pages ‹ First  < 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
TedBerg
for his generous support.