Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, January 21, 2013

OT: NHL is finally back thread

Now that the season has finally started it’s time to break from the NFL thread.

Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: January 21, 2013 at 01:09 PM | 1685 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: hockey, nhl, ot

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 17 of 17 pages ‹ First  < 12 13 14 15 16 17
   1601. zack Posted: December 09, 2013 at 06:19 PM (#4614638)
Flop.
   1602. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: December 09, 2013 at 06:36 PM (#4614656)
James Neal has quietly been a dirty player. He clearly put in some quality study time at the Cooke-Style Dojo.
hi, i'm james neal. you may remember me from such cheapshots as this one and this one and this one and this one and this one and this one...oh, wait, that one's not until next year.
   1603. Langer Monk Posted: December 09, 2013 at 10:04 PM (#4614779)
Salary Cap may be near $72M next year.
   1604. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: December 10, 2013 at 10:19 AM (#4614935)
Brooks Orpik's in bad shape. With concussion symptoms this bad his career is in jeopardy.

Thornton ought to be suspended for a year, at least.
   1605. SteveF Posted: December 10, 2013 at 10:35 AM (#4614941)
It's a pretty violent game that gives rise to rationalizing violent behavior. It's frontier justice. You take out one of mine I take out one of yours.

Obviously Thornton should be suspended for a long time, though I have no opinion about exact length. I will say that clean or not, the hit Orpik put on Eriksson is the kind of hit that needs to be removed from the game. If it isn't subject to suspension according to the current rules, the rules need to be changed to make it subject to suspension. None of that is to suggest that Orpik deserved what happened to him in any way.

I don't know what you can do to take what Thornton did out of the game. You probably need to change the rules to eliminate the need for players to take on the role of 'enforcer.' You eliminate that frame of mind from players and you don't have the Thorntons of the world looking to exact 'justice.'

That probably means eliminating fighting as an option, as well as making way, way, way more hockey checks subject to suspension/major penalty/game misconduct.
   1606. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: December 10, 2013 at 10:48 AM (#4614947)
I can't see how you can legislate Orpik's hit on Eriksson out of the game without basically outlawing body checking. At some point you have to have a certain responsibility not to leave yourself defenseless.
   1607. SteveF Posted: December 10, 2013 at 10:53 AM (#4614949)
I can't see how you can legislate Orpik's hit on Eriksson out of the game without basically outlawing body checking.

Simple. He caught him in the head. You hit someone in the head you get a 5 minute major, game misconduct, and suspension whether you intended to hit him in the head or not. Whatever happens to the nature of checking after that, so be it. The idea is you remove any need/desire from the players to exact retribution because retribution is handled by the league.

What Thornton did isn't simply a product of Thornton being a bad guy (not to suggest he is a bad guy -- I have no idea, but he doesn't strike me as a bad guy.). It's a product of hockey culture and the pressure put on players like Thornton to exact 'justice' which leads them to make the kinds of decisions that typically only violent criminals would make.
   1608. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: December 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM (#4614954)
Thornton is a thug, has been for years. If you said "someone came up behind another player, threw to the ice and punched his head into the ice twice, ending his career, guess who?" Thornton would be one of our your first three or four guesses. Would've been one of mine, anyway.

The rule change you propose would amount to banning hitting. Do you know how easy it would be for a player to just dip his head right before someone hits him and draw the major?
   1609. SteveF Posted: December 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM (#4614958)
Do you know how easy it would be for a player to just dip his head right before someone hits him and draw the major?

You believe the risk of getting a concussion wouldn't be disincentive enough to not game it?
   1610. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: December 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM (#4614960)
Not even close.
   1611. zack Posted: December 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM (#4614998)
First, did Orpik actually hit Eriksson in the head? I think he did not, the concussion was the result of the shear force of the hit and Loui slamming into the ice. I don't think the problem in that case was a hit to the head, just a 'nuke 'em from orbit' hit.

I think you could legislate blowing people up out of the game, eventually, without removing body checking entirely. Checking should be to deny possession, not to explode, and before the 90's that's usually what it was. Just amend the charging rule, it's pretty obvious, and it would be obvious if someone was diving. Finally changing the pads would also help, since it would hurt like hell to blow somebody up without padding.

Almost every "blow up" check (which I enjoy if they are clean, I admit*) is done when the hitter has time and the hitee has his head down. They are rarely unavoidable.

*Lady Byng McSofty Campbell destroying RJ Umberger being a favorite.
   1612. SteveF Posted: December 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM (#4615013)
First, did Orpik actually hit Eriksson in the head?

It wasn't the principle point of contact, but his shoulder makes contact with Eriksson's head on the replays I've seen.
   1613. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: December 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM (#4615075)
for a team that has/had matt cooke, joe vitale, james neal, crosby, malkin, kunitz, dupuis, orpik, asham, glass, adams, you people sure do like to ##### about other teams having thugs, goons and dumbcunts.

your best players are gutless dumbcunts, and instead of setting them straight, your organization decided to bring in other, less talented gutless dumbcunts to protect them, and now, whatdoyouknow, other teams have reacted (and just for a second, let's stop and acknowledge that thornton didn't do this out of the blue to a random innocent non-dumbcunt) to your gutless dumbcuntery by acting like dumbcunts themselves.

which isn't to say that shawn thornton shouldn't be suspended, but when you've chosen to live by the dumbcunt, i'm not gonna get too up in arms when you die by the dumbcunt.
   1614. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: December 10, 2013 at 01:09 PM (#4615085)
You do realize that I have at various times called out the likes of Cooke and Neal for cheapshottery and Crosby and (especially) Malkin for diving. Tanner Glass is a goon and isn't even any good at doing that, much less any actual hockey skills. Arron Asham is a loathesome human being that I detested seeing in a Penguins uniform.

The rest of the guys on your list you're just way out of line on. Orpik in particular is a hard hitter but there is nothing about him any dirtier than any other NHL player. Adams, Kunitz... I don't know where the hell you're coming from there.

That whole game was the ugliest hockey game I have ever seen, but Thornton's thuggery went above and beyond and should be severely punished.
   1615. zack Posted: December 10, 2013 at 01:32 PM (#4615120)
Flyers fan railing about organizational goonery? Really?

It'll probably annoy the #### out of people who aren't Blackhawks fans, but this piece with Kane interviewing Toews is really cool.
   1616. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: December 10, 2013 at 01:58 PM (#4615157)
Flyers fan railing about organizational goonery? Really?
the flyers get into a lot of fights, and they go over the edge on occasion, but you will never see scott hartnell or wayne simmonds deliberately knee a guy in the head. you won't see claude giroux deliberately slash the wrist of an opposing center on a faceoff. and if kimmo timonen's career ends because he was thrown to the ice and punched in the head after he concusses a guy on a borderline hit, i'll eat every sock i own.

1617. Langer Monk Posted: December 11, 2013 at 11:29 PM (#4616391)
Tonight's game is very interesting given the last few posts. I for one is hoping the Blackhawks get to ten.
   1618. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: December 12, 2013 at 12:18 AM (#4616418)
Tonight's game is very interesting given the last few posts. I for one is hoping the Blackhawks get to ten.
the blackhawks are a better team.
   1619. jobu Posted: December 12, 2013 at 02:33 AM (#4616465)
It'll probably annoy the #### out of people who aren't Blackhawks fans, but this piece with Kane interviewing Toews is really cool.

I loved reading this. Thought both guys came off well. And the Hawks did seem on their way to 10 goals tonight. Poor Ray Emery.
   1620. zack Posted: December 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM (#4616566)
I can't speak to who was the aggressor in the 3rd period goonery since I was in bed with a migraine, but B. Schenn cross-checking Versteeg in the skull and Hartnell cross-checking Toews into the net doesn't exactly jibe with the image of the Flyers as Fairy Angel Unicorns of Light.
   1621. Langer Monk Posted: December 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM (#4616651)
There was also the drive-by punch to Shaw's face that led to the 5-3 that might as well have been an empty net goal, they scored so fast.
   1622. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 12, 2013 at 01:17 PM (#4616738)
And Keith took an high elbow from Schenn. The Flyers are punks and are poor losers. Good thing for Raanta that Emery got run already, otherwise he might have gotten his ass kicked.

Brookbank went after Simmonds after a clean hit in the first few minutes of the game - it was a big hit that put Keith on his ass. So it's not like the Blackhawks were merely victims here. All the goonery from the Flyers though started after the ass kicking was in full ass kicking mode. The Hawks let up and didn't go for 8 on the 2nd 5-3.

As for the 3rd period, looks like Coburn went after Morin, probably because of the earlier boarding by Morin on Grossmann - though that looked like bad luck more than malice. Morin really hasn't done anything of note up here before.
   1623. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 12, 2013 at 01:42 PM (#4616768)
The Blackhawks are plenty good as is, but the PK is still beyond awful. It's scary to think how good they'd be if they just had an even average kill...
   1624. Cabbage Posted: December 12, 2013 at 01:56 PM (#4616783)
but when you've chosen to live by the dumbcunt, i'm not gonna get too up in arms when you die by the dumbcunt.

This is the most rhetorically powerful paraphrasing of the words of Jesus Christ that I have ever read.
   1625. zack Posted: December 12, 2013 at 03:09 PM (#4616875)
Morin really hasn't done anything of note up here before.

Morin is definitely the current Hawk most likely to get unhinged and do something stupid, other than Keith if you set him off. He was running around at the end of the Dallas game too, and he's been in a few brawls in the A. I wonder if someone told him he needed to do that to keep his job, he thinks he needs to do it to keep his job, or what.

Shaw strikes me as more calculated goonery.
   1626. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 12, 2013 at 03:15 PM (#4616884)
You must be forgetting about Bollig. I think Shaw is both calculated and reactionary, so I wouldn't count him out. He just has to pick his spots. He more sneaky dirty that all out cheap shotty.
   1627. zack Posted: December 12, 2013 at 03:49 PM (#4616912)
I think Bollig wants to be a real boy now.
   1628. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: December 12, 2013 at 04:25 PM (#4616961)
I can't speak to who was the aggressor in the 3rd period goonery since I was in bed with a migraine, but B. Schenn cross-checking Versteeg in the skull and Hartnell cross-checking Toews into the net doesn't exactly jibe with the image of the Flyers as Fairy Angel Unicorns of Light.
i don't think i've ever made that argument.
This is the most rhetorically powerful paraphrasing of the words of Jesus Christ that I have ever read.

feel free to use it yourself.
   1629. Langer Monk Posted: December 12, 2013 at 07:29 PM (#4617105)
I think Nick Nolte just fired Jay Feaster. No, wait, that's Brian Burke.
   1630. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: December 12, 2013 at 07:40 PM (#4617108)
I think Bollig wants to be a real boy now.

Yeah, he's trying. I'll give him that. He's still the PIM leader - by a lot - and quite frankly, I just don't trust him. Advanced stats still hate him, but he's less of a tire fire now than he was last year.
   1631. zack Posted: December 12, 2013 at 08:17 PM (#4617127)
Advanced stats still hate him

I'm not sure they do. Bollig has literally the lowest offensive zone start percentage among forwards to play more than 2 games, and has a positive corsi. Now, I don't think he's the one carrying water for that line (that's Kruger and Smith), but all you can say for certain is that he's not killing them.
   1632. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: December 12, 2013 at 08:29 PM (#4617136)
Still better then having carillo on the roster. This team is a real joy to watch.
   1633. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: December 13, 2013 at 03:07 PM (#4617597)
Schenn was fined 2230.77 for his cross check...apparently thats the highest amount they can fine him. What an odd number. Also is anyone else getting excited to watch olympic hockey? This could be one of the best they have had.
   1634. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: December 15, 2013 at 04:42 PM (#4618468)
   1635. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: December 15, 2013 at 04:48 PM (#4618470)
Engelland'll be getting a 10 game vacation for that one.

The Penguins are now playing seven or eight different guys that as of two months ago I'd never heard of.
   1636. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: December 17, 2013 at 12:57 AM (#4619372)
Another day, another injured Penguin (Jason Megna) and another suspended Penguin (Robert Bortuzzo). Fully half their team is now comprised of guys that didn't start the season in the NHL. I imagine Wilkes-Barre is holding open tryouts by now to fill its roster.

And yet a funny thing is happening: they're WINNING. They win and win and win. Nine out of ten.

Well, yeah, they've been playing the Maple Leafs and Panthers and Lightning and Blue Jackets and Devils and Red Wings and Maple Leafs again. But still!
   1637. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: December 17, 2013 at 11:57 PM (#4620012)
brayden schenn was laid out by tom wilson tonight in the 2nd period. it was definitely charging and the flyers scored 2 goals on the ensuing 5 minute PP to give them a 4-2 lead.

as i said, it was definitely charging as wilson was striding (as opposed to coasting) through the contact, but schenn caught a bad break since the puck bounced off the heel of his stick right before contact and he took a nasty fall into the boards.

personally, i think the hit was closer to borderline than blatant, but i agree with the flowchart in this case, so a 1-5 game suspension would not be out of line.
   1638. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: December 18, 2013 at 02:51 PM (#4620241)
We're about 2 months out from the Olympics, so let's guess Team USA. I'm heavily weighing this season's performance, and I haven't really looked at advanced stats, but here's my team right now:
Parise - Stastny - Kane
Ryan - Kesler - Kessel
Pominville - Pavelski - Wheeler
Oshie - Stepan - Backes
You can also make arguments for Saad, Dubinsky, Galchenyuk, Dustin Brown, Callahan, & JVR making the team.

Suter - Faulk
E. Johnson - Fowler
J. Johnson - McDonagh
Leddy, Carlson, Byfuglien, & Bogosian would also merit inclusion.

Goalies: This is tough. Quick, Anderson, Miller, Bishop, & Howard should all be in the discussion. Not sure who should start. Go with the hot hand I guess?

1639. zack Posted: December 18, 2013 at 03:33 PM (#4620280)
Wow, I'm surprised how different my team USA is, given that the US doesn't have a ton of depth. My defense is entirely different, even including the maybes.

I think Ryan Callahan makes it if he's healthy. Brown too. No Pacioretty? No JVR? No way would I put Stastny on the top line.

On defense, Shattenkirk? Yandle? The Johnsons both suck, service to team USA notwithstanding.

Is there any evidence that goaltending is actually hot? I find it kind of insane that Bishop is in the discussion after 30 good starts, and I wanted Bishop for years. I guess less insane with Quick and Howard hurt and Anderson sucking.

Here's my roster from last May.
   1640. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: December 18, 2013 at 04:33 PM (#4620358)
Again, didn't really look at advanced stats at all, especially for d-men.

I didn't know Erik Johnson has fallen off so badly. He's no. 1 in TOI for Colorado, and he's looked OK when I've seen him play against the Hawks. I know Jack Johnson isn't particularly good, but he's basically Mr. USA- he's missed like one American international competition since he was a teenager.

Bishop might be the best American goalie at the moment- of course, small sample size and all that. I'm hoping Anderson returns to form and Quick/Howard heal up because I'm not too confident in Ryan Miller (though he's seemingly having a good year).

US does have a lot of depth. They're like 30 forwards & 20 d-men deep.

What's up with Dustin Brown? Only 12 points in 35 games this year. I went to the Hawks-Kings game on Sunday, and he was invisible.
   1641. Copronymus Posted: December 18, 2013 at 06:59 PM (#4620476)
Jonathan Willis's Team USA (extrapolated from his rankings, no goalies):

Parise - Backes - Kane
Ryan - Kesler - Kessel
Brown - Stastny - Oshie
Pacioretty - Pavelski - Van Riemsdyk
Callahan, Saad

Suter - McDonagh
Shattenkirk - Carlson
Faulk - Martin
Byfuglien, Erik Johnson

If we can keep Jack Johnson off of this team I would be both shocked and thrilled. The goalie situation is a complete mess but I'm sure they'll be able to scare up at least one guy who's not terrible.
   1642. Cabbage Posted: December 18, 2013 at 09:51 PM (#4620559)
Thoughts about who would play better (or worse) under the international rules?

At a glance, I'm not so sure about Byfuglien.
   1643. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: December 19, 2013 at 02:30 AM (#4620675)
I really hope Saad makes the team, I think the he has earned it to play for the gold after last year and his currant work this year for the hawks. then again I'm a hawks fan boy so take it with a grain of salt.
   1644. zack Posted: December 19, 2013 at 08:08 PM (#4621339)
Tom Wilson gets no supplemental discipline for the charge on Brayden Schenn.

I often disagree with Shanahan's decisions, but usually I can understand where they're coming from. After watching the video, I have no ####### clue what they are thinking. Ok, so turning away from the hit made it worse. I disagree with the victim-blaming, but whatever. If he had not moved an inch he still would have been blown up and driven head first into the boards. Unless you're 230lbs there is no way you're staying on your skates from that hit.

If you want to reduce injuries you need to get rid of these insane nuclear missile hits.
   1645. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: December 19, 2013 at 09:58 PM (#4621378)
Tom Wilson gets no supplemental discipline for the charge on Brayden Schenn.

I often disagree with Shanahan's decisions, but usually I can understand where they're coming from. After watching the video, I have no ####### clue what they are thinking. Ok, so turning away from the hit made it worse. I disagree with the victim-blaming, but whatever. If he had not moved an inch he still would have been blown up and driven head first into the boards. Unless you're 230lbs there is no way you're staying on your skates from that hit.

If you want to reduce injuries you need to get rid of these insane nuclear missile hits.
schenn wasn't crippled = no suspension

from shanahan's explanation
"The video shows that having just looked at Wilson, Schenn begins to turn his back in an effort to avoid the contact, which actually contributes to making this hit worse," he said.
as i pointed out in my original post, schenn didn't turn to avoid contact or to make it look worse, he turned because the puck bounced off his stick and he went to play it.

by no means do i think wilson's hit was malicious, but with the way the NHL's disciplinary system works, i think they should have suspended him if only to avoid the trap they get into where the fact that a guy has never been suspended for a borderline hit is used as evidence the guy shouldn't be suspended for a borderline hit.

also, even if you argue that wilson's hit wasn't boarding because schenn turned to play the puck, it was still charging because he accelerated into it.
   1646. zack Posted: December 27, 2013 at 07:59 PM (#4624937)
Just FYI, the World Juniors started yesterday. If you get the NHL network, the games are shown on that in the US (full schedule, only the group with US and Canada until the knockouts).

For the rest of us, NHL.com will be at least broadcasting the team USA games.

Saturday: USA vs Slovakia, 7:30am
Tuesday: USA vs Canada, 11:30am

Knockout stages start Thursday the 2nd.

If anyone knows a way to see games from the other group I'd be interested.
   1647. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: December 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM (#4624998)
The Hawks are playing at an obnoxiously high level right now. They've got 5 goals tonight so far- Colorado has 7 shots on goal. On Monday, the Hawks scored 5 goals. The Devils had 12 shots on goal.
   1648. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: December 27, 2013 at 11:42 PM (#4625018)
The Hawks are playing at an obnoxiously high level right now. They've got 5 goals tonight so far- Colorado has 7 shots on goal. On Monday, the Hawks scored 5 goals. The Devils had 12 shots on goal.
ho hum. call me when they go 25 straight games without losing.
   1649. Cabbage Posted: December 28, 2013 at 03:21 AM (#4625065)

This season reminds me a bit of Carlos Marmol in 2010. It might not be the best season ever, but I might not ever see the Hawks score like this again. I might also never see a Cubs pitcher throw 16.0 K/9 over a season.
   1650. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: January 01, 2014 at 06:09 PM (#4627852)
No huge surprises for the US Olympic roster. A little bummed that neither Craig Anderson, Saad, nor Leddy made it. Bobby Ryan should definitely be there, but he's not. And I'm not too confident in Orpik's skating abilities on international ice.
   1651. Langer Monk Posted: January 01, 2014 at 07:05 PM (#4627869)
My gut tells me that US team doesn't medal.
   1652. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: January 01, 2014 at 07:11 PM (#4627875)
Orpik's slowed down to the point where it's really noticeable now--he skates like he's underwater.

Man, outdoor hockey in the snow is so very, very awesome.
   1653. zack Posted: January 01, 2014 at 07:59 PM (#4627887)
I think leaving Yandle home qualifies as a huge surprise. Okposo and Pominville out I think are mistakes but aren't surprising. At least they didn't bring either Johnson, and didn't get caught stat-watching and bring Bishop.
   1654. Copronymus Posted: January 01, 2014 at 09:24 PM (#4627917)
This ESPN piece on how the USA's roster was built is pretty amazing. During one of the meetings with the GMs, both Poile and Burke started talking about dreams they'd had involving either Jack Johnson or Seth Jones.
   1655. Langer Monk Posted: January 01, 2014 at 10:38 PM (#4627957)
That article is really informative. For instance, it confirmed that I'd want neither Burke nor Poile anywhere near a team I cared about.
   1656. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: January 02, 2014 at 12:25 AM (#4627985)
I think leaving Yandle home qualifies as a huge surprise. Okposo and Pominville out I think are mistakes but aren't surprising. At least they didn't bring either Johnson, and didn't get caught stat-watching and bring Bishop.

They may well end up bringing Bishop anyway, as both Quick and Howard are hurt and I imagine Bishop is next in line. But it only matters if Ryan Miller gets hurt; otherwise he'll play every minute.
   1657. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:17 AM (#4628005)
P.S. I don't mind seeing Ryan left off. He shoots and that's it. Doesn't pass, doesn't play defense. Very overrated kind of player.
   1658. zack Posted: January 02, 2014 at 11:59 AM (#4628155)
Booo. The US lost their quarterfinal game to the Russians, 5-3. Losing the last group game to Canada really screwed them over, since they faced an under-seeded Russian team instead of the Swiss, and even had they one they'd have to face the favorites, Sweden, in the semi-final.
   1659. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: January 02, 2014 at 12:50 PM (#4628196)
Booo. The US lost their quarterfinal game to the Russians, 5-3. Losing the last group game to Canada really screwed them over, since they faced an under-seeded Russian team instead of the Swiss, and even had they one they'd have to face the favorites, Sweden, in the semi-final.

I got up a 5am to watch this. The officiating was terrible; I'd say it cost the US the game but there were a lot of blown calls on both sides. The US couldn't win a faceoff to save their lives throughout the Canada & Russia games, that really hurt.

Jack Eichel's a beast, looking forward to seeing him play more in the future.

This might be the bitter US fan in me, but I wish they'd switch to a round-robin tournament, with the top 2 teams meeting in the championship. I'm bummed the US didn't get a chance to face either Sweden of Finland.

On a Hawks' note, I thought Hartman had a good tourney & Hinostroza had his moments. Teuvo Teräväinen has like 9 assists in the tournament and he'll have the chance to medal.
   1660. zack Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:01 PM (#4628212)
Man, reading that great piece on the US selection process, pretty much every GM in the room comes off as a blistering idiot other than Lombardi and Bowman.

Burke is such a blowhard and a bully. How many decisions were made because he shut down the conversation with snark? What a dick.

Oshie made the team over Saad because of his shootout move? Shootouts can be huge in international play, but don't they have that dumb rule where one player can take all the shots? I don't know that it's a bad decision, but that is actually the reasoning it's bad.

1661. Jimmy P Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:01 PM (#4628270)

I thought Yandle would make it over Orpik. They seemed determined to have Orpik on the team, though. I'm really happy to see Justin Faulk and Cam Fowler make it.

I'm really surprised that Jack Johnson didn't get named. He's put in his time, played really well in 2010, and I think his skating on the big ice would've been more of a factor.
   1662. Random Transaction Generator Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:02 PM (#4628271)
Shootouts can be huge in international play, but don't they have that dumb rule where one player can take all the shots?

After the initial three players have taken their shots, each team alternate shots, and those ones can be taken by anyone.

Jonathan Toews/Brian Little vs Peter Meuller/Patrick Kane/Jack Johnson in 2007 World Junior Championships is the best example.
   1663. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:11 PM (#4628282)
Jonathan Toews/Brian Little vs Peter Meuller/Patrick Kane/Jack Johnson in 2007 World Junior Championships is the best example.

This game broke my heart. I still kinda hate Toews a little for it.
   1664. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: January 02, 2014 at 03:14 PM (#4628377)
speaking of the US Russia hockey game, this makes me really hope that the us gets to play and beat russia in sochi
   1665. zack Posted: January 02, 2014 at 07:14 PM (#4628632)

Thanks, I was recalling Toews basically winning the thing himself, but not that they had to go through three first. I much prefer the NHL style, everybody takes one.

Weird to see Kane not wearing 88.
   1666. zack Posted: January 05, 2014 at 04:58 PM (#4630705)
Suomi! Suomi! Suomi!

Teräväinen and Ristolainen were both bossing this tournament. Ristolainen's OT winner was tremendous, though you have to wonder why Sweden didn't even try to stop him driving the net.
   1667. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: January 07, 2014 at 05:01 PM (#4632581)
claude giroux was left off team canadia for the olympics.

i'm not gonna say i'm happy about that because it's an opportunity that only comes once every 4 years, but giroux came into this season banged up and it is probably a good thing for him (and the flyers, who are now somehow in 2nd place in the atlantic division) that he's gonna have 2 weeks to relax a bit before gearing up for the stretch run.

1668. Langer Monk Posted: January 07, 2014 at 05:05 PM (#4632587)
Canadian Olympic team is stacked, but no Giroux, Neal or Seguin (assuming Stamkos is good to go). Still think US will be lucky to finish 4th, may finish 5th.
   1669. puck Posted: January 07, 2014 at 08:48 PM (#4632822)
speaking of the US Russia hockey game, this makes me really hope that the us gets to play and beat russia in sochi

They are in the same group, so they will play.
   1670. zack Posted: January 08, 2014 at 01:26 AM (#4632991)
Canadian Olympic team is stacked, but no Giroux, Neal or Seguin (assuming Stamkos is good to go). Still think US will be lucky to finish 4th, may finish 5th.

Anything can happen, obviously, but the USA certainly have a better roster than the Czechs, Slovaks and Finns. I think they have a better roster than the Russians (who are their D-men? Will they make the mistake of promoting the KHL like they did in 2010), but they will be playing at home.

It doesn't help that asinine qualification system put them 7th of 7 and into the only group with 3 of the big 7, so they most likely will not be getting a bye in the knockouts.
   1671. Langer Monk Posted: January 08, 2014 at 01:56 PM (#4633393)
I have the Swedes, Canadians and Russians (home ice has to mean something in the Olympics I think) as better on paper, and I think by a fair margin, not withstanding Russia's lack of known defensemen. We'll see when they play each other if that's right. Czech or Finland I think have the ability to sneak a win in the knockout stage. The road isn't easy for the US, and I think the roster made it harder.
   1672. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: January 19, 2014 at 02:52 PM (#4641913)
Last night Jamie Benn delivered the most flagrant flying elbow to the face I've ever seen, and I'm not excluding the WWE.

He was not penalized and will not be disciplined, because the victim was Matt Cooke.
   1673. Shredder Posted: January 19, 2014 at 04:21 PM (#4641950)
In the new NHL, apparently the protective mesh nets above the glass are now in play. Embarrassing.
   1674. zack Posted: January 19, 2014 at 08:03 PM (#4642146)
He was not penalized and will not be disciplined, because the victim was Matt Cooke.

Apparently you're allowed to kill you opponent if they're the ones running into you. Which is insane, and reminds of the sudden appearance of the "kill zone" behind the net in the playoffs a few years ago when Torres took out Seabrook.
   1675. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: January 22, 2014 at 01:34 PM (#4644277)
The Leafs, who continue to be outshot and seemingly outplayed nearly every night, have won 6 straight games after losing 4 straight. They are 5th in the conference and have a chance of getting home ice in the first round.

They will be getting Dave Bolland back soon and will probably trade James Reimer before the deadline. They aren't a Cup contender obviously but they should make the playoffs again this year. They could win a round if they make they can get a nice return for Reimer.
   1676. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: January 22, 2014 at 01:50 PM (#4644298)
Apparently you're allowed to kill you opponent if they're the ones running into you.

I don't think this is the case, especially since it is clear on the video that Benn was going right after Cooke. You're allowed to kill your opponent if he's Matt Cooke, is what's going on here. The NHL has de facto made him an outlaw in the old sense of the term: No one's going to be punished for injuring him.

I'm pretty sure everyone on earth except Cooke's wife and children is OK with this.
   1677. Langer Monk Posted: January 22, 2014 at 01:59 PM (#4644316)
Nearly 27 years to the day they beat the Flames 7-5 in front of 334 fans, the Devils scored 7 against the Blues last night in front of probably 2000.

They'd be unbeatable if they always played at home during blizzards where under 3000 people show up.
   1678. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: January 31, 2014 at 04:07 PM (#4649450)
Ben Scrivens has been spectacular this season.
   1679. Random Transaction Generator Posted: January 31, 2014 at 04:16 PM (#4649454)
They could win a round if they make they can get a nice return for Reimer.

Maybe they can complete the circle and see if they can land Scrivens.
   1680. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: February 04, 2014 at 12:39 AM (#4651199)
this hawks kings game will get very ugly by the end of it. 14 penalty minutes in the first period
   1681. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: February 06, 2014 at 02:36 PM (#4652700)
kane will miss fridays game for the funeral for his grandfather. I am very excited for the hockey to start up in the olympics
   1682. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: February 07, 2014 at 01:46 PM (#4653261)
Letang suffered a stroke last week, I hope he has a quick speedy recovery.
   1683. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: February 19, 2014 at 12:23 AM (#4658820)
Should I start a new nhl thread once the olympic break is over?
   1684. Langer Monk Posted: February 19, 2014 at 01:33 PM (#4659014)
Probably would make sense for the playoff run.
   1685. zack Posted: April 23, 2014 at 09:49 PM (#4692770)
Ignore this, something screwy happened with the current thread.
Page 17 of 17 pages ‹ First  < 12 13 14 15 16 17

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Phil Birnbaum
for his generous support.