Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, January 21, 2013

OT: NHL is finally back thread

Now that the season has finally started it’s time to break from the NFL thread.

odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: January 21, 2013 at 01:09 PM | 1685 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: hockey, nhl, ot

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 7 of 17 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >  Last ›
   601. Shredder Posted: June 04, 2013 at 10:11 PM (#4460606)
Crawford burying a lot of shots tonight.
   602. Shredder Posted: June 04, 2013 at 10:18 PM (#4460620)
Nice shot to the face, Duncan.
   603. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 04, 2013 at 10:18 PM (#4460623)
Just returning the one given to him earlier.
   604. zack Posted: June 04, 2013 at 10:19 PM (#4460627)
Nice shot to the face, Duncan.

A terrible play, but Carter did see that he had no glove and tried to break his wrist first. Keith has a terrible history with retaliation.
   605. Shredder Posted: June 04, 2013 at 10:33 PM (#4460645)
Just returning the one given to him earlier.
So I'm assuming your position is that a fastball to the face is proper retaliation for a pitch on the hands?
   606. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 04, 2013 at 10:36 PM (#4460648)
That was a trip.
   607. Shredder Posted: June 04, 2013 at 10:36 PM (#4460650)
That should have been a penalty on Muzzin.
   608. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 04, 2013 at 10:37 PM (#4460651)
Keith got a stick in the face earlier in the game. And fwiw he did appologize to richards after it haooened
   609. zack Posted: June 04, 2013 at 10:45 PM (#4460665)
So I'm assuming your position is that a fastball to the face is proper retaliation for a pitch on the hands?

Absolutely not, but both are worth mentioning if we're tallying ugly plays. Like I said, it's the 3rd incident I can think of where somebody made a dirty play on Keith and he responded by nuking them from space (it's the only way to be sure).

This game is going more like how I thought the entire series would. It'll be interesting to see if Chicago can adjust in the next game, how that goes will determine the winner. For as dominating as LA has been this game, it's funny that the score might be tied if Voynov's stick hadn't exploded mid-shot. I thought at first the change-up was intentional and gave a slow-clap.
   610. Bull Pain Posted: June 04, 2013 at 11:08 PM (#4460680)
Walkom really hates Hjalmarsson
   611. Shredder Posted: June 04, 2013 at 11:22 PM (#4460688)
I've not watched the Hawks tha much this year, but do they always drop this many sticks? I'm not saying they do it on purpose, but they've just flat out dropped more sticks in this series than the Kings have in the last two playoff years combined.
   612. zack Posted: June 04, 2013 at 11:37 PM (#4460700)
Why the #### wasn't that icing?
   613. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 04, 2013 at 11:37 PM (#4460701)
Why didnt they call iceibg there?
   614. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 04, 2013 at 11:39 PM (#4460704)
Really streamers jist for winning a game? Thats pretty dumb. Kings got away with a lot of crap in this game and the hawks didnt tey next game i expect them to paste la
   615. Bull Pain Posted: June 04, 2013 at 11:39 PM (#4460705)
Very similar game to Game 1 but in reverse. Monster save by Quick was the difference. The linesmen were following Walkom's lead of gross incompetence.

LA needs to play with the same energy in Game 4 if not more or they will be in trouble.
   616. Shredder Posted: June 04, 2013 at 11:46 PM (#4460717)
All I can think on that icing is that the linesman thought the Hawk player made no attempt no actually chase the puck down. Usually you have at least act like you're trying to get there. Otherwise I don't know why he didn't call it. Didn't look to me like it was shot that hard down the ice.
   617. Bull Pain Posted: June 04, 2013 at 11:50 PM (#4460722)
The linesman had already waived off icing before the puck even got to the blue line. Either he saw something that nobody else could see or he just blew it.

Either way, it's still unlikely the Blackhawks would have tied it. They couldn't win a faceoff to save their life. The same problem that really plagued them in Detroit.
   618. zack Posted: June 04, 2013 at 11:56 PM (#4460729)
All I can think on that icing is that the linesman thought the Hawk player made no attempt no actually chase the puck down.

Failing to chase doesn't negate the icing, though, just failing to play it. There's no way Hossa could have played it before it was past the goal line. Failing to chase is a "refusing to play" penalty, so if that was it, there should have been a face-off in the Chicago zone.

My only guess is that the linesman thought it hit Hossa's stick on the way out of the LA zone. Maybe it did. It's unlikely they would have tied it, but the difference between a stopped clock + offensive face-off vs. playing it there is huge (and directly led to the EN goal).
   619. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: June 05, 2013 at 12:09 AM (#4460736)
I feel like Carter (for flagrantly trying to break Keith's wrist) and Keith (for intentionally hitting Carter in the face with his stick) both deserve lengthy suspensions. By which I mean like 20 games each. There is absolutely no excuse for using your stick as a weapon to try to hurt a guy.
   620. Shredder Posted: June 05, 2013 at 12:14 AM (#4460741)
Oh, Gimme a break. Carter gave Keith a love tap. Keith was reckless and deserved the penalty, but he won't and shouldn't be suspended. He didn't mean to hit him that high. If he hits Carter's shoulder like he meant to do, no one would have even seen one replay of that play. If you really want to break a guy's wrist, you can do it when he's wearing a glove.
   621. zack Posted: June 05, 2013 at 12:15 AM (#4460743)
Nah. If there was real violence behind the hacks then I'd agree, but both were the kind of taps that happen dozens of times per game and neither were attempts to injure. Assuming that Keith wasn't trying to get the face, which I think is fair. They weren't near Ferguson-Clarke territory.
   622. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: June 05, 2013 at 12:36 AM (#4460756)
Hate to say 'gimme a break' right back to you Shredder but... well, damn. I think it's easier to break (or at least severely bruise) a guy's unprotected wrist with a hockey stick than you do, and I think the video couldn't make it more clear that's exactly what Carter was trying to do.

If I squint the right way I can kinda buy that Keith was more just pissed off and lashing out in Carter's general direction and happened to catch his face than aiming for his face, but that doesn't make me particularly inclined to be lenient on him. Stick-as-weapon is something I don't think the NHL takes seriously enough.
   623. Shredder Posted: June 05, 2013 at 12:50 AM (#4460762)
I just think we saw, because of an unfortunate shot to the face, the kind of slashing and retaliation that goes on 50 times per game behind the play.
   624. Robert in Manhattan Beach Posted: June 05, 2013 at 01:10 AM (#4460780)
A win is a win. A little hard to ignore that the Kings played pretty good, the Hawks were disinterested for much of the game, the Kings got some breaks and some calls...and they still just barely won. Whatever, win on Thursday and we've got a chance. Demoting Kopitar was an interesting way to play it. He obviously deserves it, he hasn't been himself in months, still takes some stones to make that call.

If Carter had been trying to break Keith's wrist, it would be broken.

625. Shredder Posted: June 05, 2013 at 01:27 AM (#4460786)
On Kopitar:

1) He routinely goes into long scoring slumps in the middle to late part of the season. He's on schedule for that right now, but because of the lockout, that slump is deep into the playoffs.

2) I like the demotion because he's such a stellar defensive player, put him in a purely defensive role where he only has to think about defense. Take his mind off his offensive struggles. I have a feeling he'll score a big goal at some point. Probably in game six.
   626. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 05, 2013 at 01:55 AM (#4460791)
The kings did a good job of keeping the hawks from playing there game tonight. though I am curious to see what happens when they play like that against a hawks team that isnt sleep walking. I think we find out thursday
   627. Snowboy Posted: June 05, 2013 at 05:42 AM (#4460813)
595. zack Posted: June 04, 2013 at 10:44 AM (#4459903)

Oh I absolutely agree, and that's why I think Snowboy's analyses above are ridiculous. That's why I said first 10 minutes and not the game. It's pretty much expected that a team down 0-2 and coming home is going to come out of the gate with everything they've got. Combined with the fact that LA has been criticized for not using their physicality and I expect blitzkrieg.

Ha! I've become a strawman on Primer! Cool! (Hey Mom, check this out!)

We seem to agree that Chicago is not a dirty team...so is it that I'm ridiculous for saying that LA plays a hitting game but they have been backing off of that in game 1&2 of this series, and were getting their hat handed to them? Or was it saying that Hossa and some others were an important part of the Hawks comeback when they remembered how to backcheck and they won 3 in a row? Or maybe it was just ridiculous to say that hitting matters at all, I suppose that was it.

Whatever. Anyway Chicago's game tonight kinda reminded me of how they went to sleep against Detroit for a couple of games. Quick had a couple great saves, but in general the Hawks were zzzzz. The only goal was by Bickell, and that was an easily stoppable wrap-around that somehow slipped through (and it started with Doughty trying to pretend he was in a Keystone Cops movie.) LA played well, but as said above they didn't exactly dominate. That early goal must have been a relief.

TSN gave the "Electric Player of the Game" award to Justin Williams, but I thought it was Jeff Carter. He had lots of chances, and created a few of them by himself by stealing pucks or passes in the neutral zone, and turning them around. Unrelated (I hope) I thought Carter was a bit bush-league to be slapping his stick around Keith's lost glove/exposed hand, and Keith retaliated by swinging his stick. I don't think Carter was trying to break Keith's wrist. But Keith's ignited temper led to him wheeling his stick one-handed up around Carter's head, and that's just not acceptable. (Well, before anyone tries to correct me, I'll correct myself: it wasn't just up "around" his head - he hit him *in* the head; his blade hit Carter in the face, and that's not acceptable.) Carter (of course) refused to acknowledge Keith's (multiple) attempts to apologize, and we'll never know if Keith's apologies were real or just an attempt to get in front of a play that is for sure going to be looked at by the league for supplementary discipline. Keith should have dug Carter hard in the ribs, but he didn't, and he got a four minute double-minor, and he'll have to live with whatever further discipline might come. Like Cooke's hit on McQuaid, I don't think Keith gets a suspension, but you never know. If Carter had been more seriously injured, there would be a suspension, so Keith can just thank his lucky stars and think about better controlling his temper.

Moving Kopitar to another line (due to his ineffectiveness or injury, either way) was a good move, and I wonder if Bylsma will do some of the same with the Penguins? He needs to.
   628. zack Posted: June 05, 2013 at 09:56 AM (#4460900)
It was that both times you analyzed a game, the first and only thing you went to was that the teams weren't hitting enough. And now, you jump to Chicago going to sleep, when tonight's game was about what LA was doing and not what Chicago was not. The only difference tonight for Chicago was that there passing wasn't as sharp, but that wasn't due to lack of effort or energy.

As it happens, both arguments (about hitting, and being "flat"), are the first refuges of the imbecile in hockey analysis, so excuse me if I do not respect them. It may, occasionally, in a stopped-clock way, be the correct analysis, but since it is thrown out for literally every single loss it is now completely devoid of meaning.

Obviously, for LA playing a hitting game is important, in that it is a side effect of them winning board battles.

Hate to say 'gimme a break' right back to you Shredder but... well, damn. I think it's easier to break (or at least severely bruise) a guy's unprotected wrist with a hockey stick than you do, and I think the video couldn't make it more clear that's exactly what Carter was trying to do.

If you're going to give Keith and Carter long suspensions for stick violence, then you have to also suspend Brown for spearing Hossa in the chest, and Andrew Shaw for his entire existence. These things happen dozens of times a game.
   629. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 05, 2013 at 10:18 AM (#4460922)
The Hawks has several great chances late in the game to tie it up, but only the great save on Bickell was actually a shot. In each of the other cases, the Hawks cost themselves - the Stalberg/Saad play (it was a bad pass, but Stal should have shot it, maybe at Quick's pad), the offsides play (just an awful, awful change and had Shaw been hustling to the bench it was a 3 on none), and Kane over-stick handling (something he does on occasion). The Kings did a great job defensively, and the Hawks responded by overpassing (phases they went through several times this year). 20 SOG is the low for them these playoffs. They spent too much time on the PK, as most of their penalties were dumb; sure, they should have had several more PP chances but the PP still isn't exactly inspiring confidence right now.

As for the Keith/Carter play, I think it was Carter that got Keith with a high stick during an early Kings PP. Not that I'm trying to excuse Keith's unacceptable play, but I can see that also being in his mind when he retaliated. Carter also took a nice little shot on Bickell during a scrum at the goal where he pushed Bickell's face into the ice. I think it counts for something that Keith immediately regretted his decision, but I still wouldn't be shocked if he were suspended.

Whatever. Anyway Chicago's game tonight kinda reminded me of how they went to sleep against Detroit for a couple of games. Quick had a couple great saves, but in general the Hawks were zzzzz. The only goal was by Bickell, and that was an easily stoppable wrap-around that somehow slipped through (and it started with Doughty trying to pretend he was in a Keystone Cops movie.) LA played well, but as said above they didn't exactly dominate. That early goal must have been a relief.

I'll ignore the strawman paragraph (which is also a strawman, well done!), and just say I think saying the Hawks were lazy doesn't give enough credit to the Kings' plan and execution. There's a reason the game went like that, and it's because the Kings were pressuring and clogging passing lanes and, yes, backchecking. I agree it felt very winnable, but that's what the Kings do. I think they outplayed the Hawks, but nothing about how last night makes my any more worried about the Hawks' chances going forward; if that's the best the Kings got (and it might just be), the Hawks can be better.

Kane is struggling , and I think a lot of that is because he's stuck playing with Handzus. Handzus is so slow, the Kings can basically double team Kane all the time and while Handzus has taken advantage of this a couple of times (game 2, game 6 last series), I think if Kane were playing with Toews and Bickell he'd look a lot better. It's a loss, so I wouldn't be surprised for the Q line jumble before game 4.
   630. Shredder Posted: June 05, 2013 at 10:45 AM (#4460965)
Failing to chase doesn't negate the icing, though, just failing to play it. There's no way Hossa could have played it before it was past the goal line. Failing to chase is a "refusing to play" penalty, so if that was it, there should have been a face-off in the Chicago zone.
Failing to chase can absolutely negate the icing if the ref thinks the skater could have gotten to the puck with reasonable effort before it crosses the goal line. That's what they look for all the time.
If, in the opinion of the Linesman, any player (other than the goalkeeper) of the opposing team is able to play the puck before it passes his goal line, but has not done so, play shall continue and the icing violation shall not be called.
That's a judgment call by the official. The refusing to play rule only comes into effect when the team that would benefit from the icing (the Hawks in this case) refuse to play the puck in order to let time tick down, which of course wouldn't have made any sense last night.

It's a moot point anyway. I haven't seen a replay, but from everything I've read, there seems to be agreement from both sides the puck deflected off of Bickel's stick.
   631. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 05, 2013 at 11:40 AM (#4461042)
Was it just me if did ice seem pretty bad last night? Saw a lot of wipe outs on both sides that were not caused by hits or opposiong players
   632. Shredder Posted: June 05, 2013 at 11:49 AM (#4461049)
Was it just me if did ice seem pretty bad last night? Saw a lot of wipe outs on both sides that were not caused by hits or opposiong players
I couldn't tell a difference. For what it's worth, Engblom said the building was much cooler than the United Center, and that in his opinion, the ice was much better/quicker than it had been in Chicago.
   633. Robert in Manhattan Beach Posted: June 05, 2013 at 11:55 AM (#4461061)
I'm there every night, it seemed fine. The weather here has been pretty cool for this time of year. Plus, of course, no basketball.
   634. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 05, 2013 at 12:07 PM (#4461074)
Keith is getting a hearing, which means a suspension is coming. Not surprising. Kinda wish Carter was in a similar boat for the hand/wrist one that preceded it, but stick to the face/head is obviously worse.
   635. Shredder Posted: June 05, 2013 at 12:22 PM (#4461094)
Well, I'm not gonna complain if he's suspended, but to me it didn't look like it was intentional. I mean, he intentionally tried to hit him, but he didn't mean to hit him in the face. Probably should have been five a and a game instead of four minutes, but not something I'd suspend for.
   636. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: June 05, 2013 at 12:31 PM (#4461103)
Keith may get off with a fine, I think. Of course if the league office agrees with Shredder that it should have been five-plus-game, they may choose to rectify that by giving him Game 4 off.
   637. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 05, 2013 at 12:53 PM (#4461130)
Anything more than a game, I'm probably upset. 1 game would make some sense.
   638. zack Posted: June 05, 2013 at 01:50 PM (#4461206)
In that case, the Blackhawks should get Keith some anger management counseling this off-season. There's no player more irreplaceable than him in the lineup and he has a decade left on his contract. The step down to, presumably, Brookbank makes Chicago the underdog for every game Keith misses. Hopefully Leddy can step up and replace some of those minutes, but if they spend as much time in their own zone as they did last night that could be disastrous.
   639. steagles Posted: June 05, 2013 at 02:36 PM (#4461287)
i don't know how anyone else is feeling about it, but i am looking forward to tonight's pittsburgh-boston game more than i have any non-flyers NHL game since giguere's playoff run back in (2003?).

apparently vokoun is back in net, but hopefully the rest of that team plays so shittily that it doesn't matter.
   640. Robert in Manhattan Beach Posted: June 05, 2013 at 02:45 PM (#4461316)
Probably should have been five a and a game instead of four minutes, but not something I'd suspend for.

Agree with this. He seemed contrite, lesson learned.

I'm real interested to see how Pittsburgh responds tonight. It would be highly disappointing - although I wouldn't be shocked - to see them roll over a die tonight.

641. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: June 05, 2013 at 03:21 PM (#4461374)
Apparently the Penguins' AHL goalie practiced with the team this morning, so rumor is going around that Fleury's going to be scratched tonight.

My money's on the Penguins rolling over and dying. I think they're done.
   642. Ron J2 Posted: June 05, 2013 at 04:02 PM (#4461463)
Kerry Fraser discusses the Keith/Carter play (and possible extra discipline) in his C'Mon Ref column at TSN (generally worth the read if you want to understand the technical side of reffing at the NHL level)

Column is here

Quoting now:

The fact of the matter is that a different standard of enforcement is most often applied in the NHL and other professional leagues. Before everyone starts jumping all over this reality statement, I would like to share the thought process used to differentiate between varying degrees of stick related infractions up to a match penalty for a deliberate attempt to injure an opponent.

Runs 4 further paragraphs. In summary (again quoting)

The one handed blow was certainly careless and demonstrates a poor decision made by Keith but the contact did not fall into the severe or excessive category that would typically result in a match penalty being assessed by a referee in the NHL. Keith's immediate reaction of remorse further demonstrates a lack of intent in an attempt to injure Jeff Carter through a premeditative strike.

And concludes:

With all this case history and theory of the standard employed by the Refs to determine a match penalty that I have shared, a hearing is being convened by the Player Safety Committee at 1:30 today with Duncan Keith. Count on him being suspended - how many is anyone's guess.

643. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 05, 2013 at 06:06 PM (#4461604)
So that only confuses me more. Unless he's criticizing the calls, which I can't tell by reading between the lines (Canadian is not my first language). He compares it to the Green play, but noting Green's play was worse (intent and reaction time). He argues Green should have been ejected (hockey terminology is not my first language and ejected is shorter to type than game match penalty), but doesn't say whether or not he agrees with the non-suspension. For Keith, he seems to agree with the double minor call, but also doesn't say whether he agrees with a likely suspension. Otherwise, the natural conclusion would be that Keith shouldn't be suspended (unless it's strictly because he's a repeat offender).

---

Yahoo Sports NHL ?@YahooSportsNHL 40m
From Kings' presser:
Q. How is Jeff Carter today?
COACH SUTTER: Awesome. I wish I was Jeff Carter today. (laughter)

Fantastic.

Yahoo Sports NHL ?@YahooSportsNHL 34m
JC: I took a swing at his glove, he was trying to pick it up. I was in front of him. Next thing I knew, I was getting a stick to the face.

Pshaw. If you were swinging at his glove, you wouldn't have slashed down onto it; you would have swiped sideways at it.
   644. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 05, 2013 at 07:22 PM (#4461659)
1 game. Seems right and fair.
   645. Robert in Manhattan Beach Posted: June 05, 2013 at 07:36 PM (#4461666)
Yeah, one game is fine. I initially thought no suspension was necessary, but watching it again - intentionally to the face or not - he swung the stick harder than I remember. You can't have guys doing that.
   646. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: June 05, 2013 at 07:42 PM (#4461672)
Repeating what I said above in reference to Shredder's post, it seems like the league office's way of saying "yeah, that really should have been a game misconduct bro."
   647. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 05, 2013 at 08:24 PM (#4461698)
Penguins sure not starting strong.
   648. steagles Posted: June 05, 2013 at 08:34 PM (#4461714)
Yeah, one game is fine. I initially thought no suspension was necessary, but watching it again - intentionally to the face or not - he swung the stick harder than I remember. You can't have guys doing that.
i wouldn't say it was intentional. it seemed to me to be more the kind of thing like when you touch a hot pot, you immediately pull your hand back in shock. except instead of pulling his hand back, he hit jeff carter in the face with his stick.
   649. steagles Posted: June 05, 2013 at 08:45 PM (#4461726)
also, i love that vitale penalty.

in a game you trail 1-0
in a series your team trails 2-0
to a team who has dominated you with devastating efficiency
about to go on a PP
for interference, no less
so it's not as if drako malfoy put an elbow in crosby's ear
and this moron gets a penalty for taking a shot at a bruin after the play was blown dead.

this team is just so astoundingly stupid.
   650. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 05, 2013 at 09:02 PM (#4461748)
I can't help but adore Don Cherry, even when I know the reasons I shouldn't.
   651. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 05, 2013 at 09:16 PM (#4461765)
Tuukka Rask was the reason why I wasn't at all worried about Tim Thomas leaving the Bruins.
   652. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 05, 2013 at 09:29 PM (#4461785)
The Penguins are playing much better this game since the first 5 minutes.
   653. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 05, 2013 at 09:41 PM (#4461793)
Campbell got hammered blocking a shot and then had to gut out a full minute more on the penalty kill. Looks like it got his leg, but he's in the training room now.
   654. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 05, 2013 at 10:28 PM (#4461827)
Great up and down hockey in the 3rd period.
   655. DA Baracus Posted: June 05, 2013 at 10:34 PM (#4461829)
   656. steagles Posted: June 05, 2013 at 10:57 PM (#4461841)
overtime is coming up, which generally means that the game will either be over in another 5 minutes, or will go on until about 1AM.
   657. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 05, 2013 at 11:27 PM (#4461866)
Looking like 1am, even after 2 powerplays. Rask has been awesome.
   658. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 05, 2013 at 11:50 PM (#4461877)
The only thing better than overtime playoff hockey is DOUBLE OVERTIME playoff hockey.
   659. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 05, 2013 at 11:58 PM (#4461883)
Sidney Crosby looks like a faithless Stark bannerman.
   660. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 06, 2013 at 12:17 AM (#4461895)
WOOOOOOOOO! That game wasn't tense at all.
   661. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: June 06, 2013 at 12:19 AM (#4461896)
Lots of credit to the Penguins for not rolling over and dying--I thought they got the better of that game, but Boston got the hot goalie and most of the bounces. I should probably give them the benefit of the doubt but I kind of expect they'll pack it in and no-show Game 4.

Despite his mountains of regular season success there appears to be a nonzero chance Dan Bylsma gets fired if/when Boston finishes the sweep. I have mixed feelings about this.
   662. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 06, 2013 at 09:17 AM (#4461992)
I think the Penguins will take a game or two, and it's not like the Bruins haven't blown a 3-0 lead in recent years, but that was definitely Pittsburgh's last best chance to get back into this series. Now if Rask can just keep it up through the Finals I like the Bruins chances against either the Blackhawks or Kings.

eta: That is, keep up his general playoff performance, not his ridiculous 53/54 shots saved from last night. That's unsustainable.
   663. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 06, 2013 at 03:52 PM (#4462587)
It's not really a must win game for the Kings, but if they don't win tonight with Keith out, the Hawks probably end the series in game 5. But the defense could definitely be exploited with 3 new D pairings (likely), and Keith is by far their best. If Crawford has a good game and the Hawks can get more shots on goal, they have a good chance to win tonight.
   664. Random Transaction Generator Posted: June 06, 2013 at 05:11 PM (#4462691)
I thought that point when Crosby lost his helmet and played like a man possessed (or, at least, a man who feels like he has to carry the team on his shoulders) that he was going to score and they'd add another page to his legend.

Also, nice hook by Jagr on Malkin to get that puck back to start the play that won the game.
As the analysts said later on TSN, in the regular season, that's a penalty, but in overtime, that's just hockey.
   665. Robert in Manhattan Beach Posted: June 06, 2013 at 05:41 PM (#4462719)
It's not really a must win game for the Kings, but if they don't win tonight with Keith out, the Hawks probably end the series in game 5

Yeah, they need to win tonight. Hopefully that's obvious to everyone in the locker room. I'm surprisingly hopeful considering that the Hawks have been better for about 90% of the time on the ice. Hopefully Williams and Voynov have a few more miracles left.
   666. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: June 06, 2013 at 06:16 PM (#4462748)
As the analysts said later on TSN, in the regular season, that's a penalty, but in overtime, that's just hockey.

Which is far and away the #1 thing that pisses me off about hockey.
   667. zack Posted: June 06, 2013 at 09:38 PM (#4462972)
Hawks are controlling play a lot better than I expected for the first 15 minutes.

The Kings' goal was a pretty much a direct result of Keith's suspension (Brookbank making a stupid run out of position). Thanks, Duncs!

This game needs some Kanian black magic.
   668. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 06, 2013 at 10:10 PM (#4463011)
2nd goal pretty much Brookbank's fault too, though Crawford should have been stronger with the puck.
   669. Shredder Posted: June 06, 2013 at 10:16 PM (#4463017)
If Darren Pang thinks Jamie Kompon is a brilliant tactician, well, I can't think a dumber comment I've ever heard by an analyst in any sport. And I used to listen to Rex Hudler!
   670. zack Posted: June 06, 2013 at 10:26 PM (#4463027)
I think that's the first time I've ever seen a hook called when the victim neither lost possession, their footing or a scoring chance.

The Blackhawks should just decline their powerplays from now on. It is inexcusable to not have opposite handed point men positioned for one timers on a 5v3 pp.
   671. Shredder Posted: June 06, 2013 at 10:31 PM (#4463031)
I think that's the first time I've ever seen a hook called when the victim neither lost possession, their footing or a scoring chance.
Then you haven't watched much hockey, because I see that called all the time. When you hook a guy and break his momentum and knock him off stride, it gets called quite a bit. They call the stick in the hands a lot as well, even when it doesn't result in a loss of possession.
   672. Shredder Posted: June 06, 2013 at 10:35 PM (#4463039)
What a pathetic shift. They deserved to give up two goals there. Nice interference by Toews to set it up, though.
   673. zack Posted: June 06, 2013 at 10:37 PM (#4463043)
Then you haven't watched much hockey

Thanks. But seriously, that gets called all the time on a scoring chance, but never on a soft-wristed hook at the blue line.

That was the most vultured goal of Kane's career.
   674. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 06, 2013 at 10:37 PM (#4463044)
They aren't calling that in the playoffs though. Or slashing. Or cross checking. If they want to call it tight, call it tight. That means more PK for LA though.

Hey look, Kane gets a goal after he switched lines.

EDIT: And Shaw will get a penalty every shift.
   675. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 06, 2013 at 10:40 PM (#4463048)
Kings are playing dirty right now.
   676. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 06, 2013 at 10:41 PM (#4463050)
Even the announcers called a bs penelty on the hook
   677. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 06, 2013 at 10:43 PM (#4463054)
This feel like OT to me, now that Brookbank is glued to the bench.
   678. Shredder Posted: June 06, 2013 at 10:46 PM (#4463059)
Right Meatwad. Checking a guy into the boards is dirty. I mean, it was a penalty, but it wasn't dirty. It's a big guy checking a midget.
   679. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 06, 2013 at 10:53 PM (#4463065)
Well, I wouldn't call it dirty either, but they could have called boarding instead of interference if they wanted. Both of the bigger roughing penalties called on the Hawks these playoffs that I've complained about (Saad game 7 and Toews earlier this one) weren't as much of roughing as this.

I don't think this game has been notable for any bad or tough calls. EDIT: I don't like the penalty for the puck over the glass, but thems the rules for now.
   680. Shredder Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:01 PM (#4463075)
And the defending champs are officially done. Go Bruins.
   681. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:01 PM (#4463077)
Did not see that coming.

And I can't tell a difference at all with the Chicago PP without Keith, or have the announcers missed how terrible it's been for the last 3 years?
   682. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:03 PM (#4463078)
Cap'n elbows with another one. What a ########.

EDIT: Wrong guy.
   683. zack Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:03 PM (#4463079)
That Regehr interference was a penalty but no way was it particularly dirty. Kane is just tiny.

Now that ####### play by Penner was dirty. Not sure he planned it though, may have been just bad luck.
   684. Shredder Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:04 PM (#4463081)
Penner with an elbow that deserves a suspension.
   685. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:04 PM (#4463083)
Brookbank is still playing?!?! This game isn't over yet, Shredder.
   686. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:05 PM (#4463084)
That should have been interference on Penner behind the net too.
   687. Shredder Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:07 PM (#4463088)
Four guys right where he puck is and you think that's interference?
   688. zack Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:07 PM (#4463089)
Somebody should really tell Ingbloom that it's not pronounced Chalmerson.
   689. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:09 PM (#4463092)
Man, if he saw Kane that's an easy goal.
   690. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:10 PM (#4463094)
Seabrook was going to the puck, hadn't touched it, and it was still out of his reach. Yes, that's interference.
   691. zack Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:12 PM (#4463100)
Haha. That's the second time Quick has out-waited Kane for a ridiculous save. Well he didn't out-wait him but he did out-think him.

No wonder Quick needed back surgery last off-season. Watching him do trunk lifts all game long makes my back hurt.

692. steagles Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:13 PM (#4463103)
Kings are playing dirty right now.
that's the thing about dustin penner; he's not afraid to put a forearm into dave bolland's chin. you gotta admire him for that.
   693. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:14 PM (#4463104)
One hell of a save by quick there.
   694. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:27 PM (#4463124)
Brown is a better actor than Kane.
   695. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:29 PM (#4463132)
I can't speak to the end of Carter's time in Philly or his time in Columbus, but he's been ####### terrifying on the PP this series.

Toews is really head-###### on his shots.
   696. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:38 PM (#4463153)
Amazing win without Keith. Kings had 2 SOG in the 3rd.
   697. Shredder Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:39 PM (#4463155)
Absolutely pathetic effort by the defending chumps. No heart.
   698. zack Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:40 PM (#4463156)
I said after the previous game that the series would be decided on how Chicago adjusted to LA's forecheck. If they could eliminate LA's zone time they'd win. They did that, surprisingly, so I'd be very confident in them winning the series. Of course, anything can happen and the Kings are an excellent team that can't be slept on.

With the injuries or whatever to Kopitar and Brown I just don't think they have the scoring right now to be as dangerous as they should be.
   699. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:46 PM (#4463159)
IMO just a really well played game by the Hawks tonight (outside of Brookbank but whatever).
   700. Shredder Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:50 PM (#4463165)
The Kings have five marquee skaters. One has been hurt since game one, and three just don't care. Not a recipe for success.
Page 7 of 17 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
1k5v3L
for his generous support.