Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, January 21, 2013

OT: NHL is finally back thread

Now that the season has finally started it’s time to break from the NFL thread.

odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: January 21, 2013 at 01:09 PM | 1685 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: hockey, nhl, ot

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 10 of 17 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 >  Last ›
   901. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 15, 2013 at 09:24 PM (#4470331)
So that actually did go in. Cant tell if it was before the whistle or not
   902. Snowboy Posted: June 15, 2013 at 09:36 PM (#4470338)
OK, Ashton Kulchar, very funny.
You can come out now?
And take away these actors, and let the real Bruins on the ice?
This is almost embarrassing.
And Chicago is playing really well; Sharp has been great, Kane skating well even without the puck.
Still only 1-0 though?
   903. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: June 15, 2013 at 09:42 PM (#4470339)
Really really really really grateful that it's only 1-0. This can't continue, either the Hawks are just going to wipe us out or the B's have to start playing better. Rask is saving their bacon right now.
   904. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: June 15, 2013 at 09:48 PM (#4470342)
That is an enormous goal.
   905. The Ghost's Tryin' to Reason with Hurricane Season Posted: June 15, 2013 at 09:50 PM (#4470343)
904, yes. Boston has renewed energy.
   906. zack Posted: June 15, 2013 at 09:50 PM (#4470344)
Well this period is the opposite. Bruins have sat back and trapped it down to 9 shots combined in the period, and then bang home a garbage goal.
   907. SteveF Posted: June 15, 2013 at 10:09 PM (#4470346)
There are periods of time Chicago's forecheck just dominates the game, and all Boston seems capable of doing is getting it out of the zone to the Chicago D at center ice where they just fire it back in again. It doesn't seem like Chicago is able to sustain that forecheck for entire games, but we'll see if they fire it back up again in the 3rd.

There have been stretches of both games where Boston seems hopelessly outclassed. Chicago has looked so much faster. I can't imagine Boston will be able to button up the game in the 3rd as easily as they seemed to be able to in the 2nd.
   908. Snowboy Posted: June 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM (#4470350)
2nd intermission. Even without as many scoring opps as in the first, I still thought Chicago carried 80% of the play.

That was a bad, dirty penalty by Bolland (and it was on Marchand, who will go down even if he feels the breeze of your stick, let alone when you kick his feet out as he's going into the boards.) And Marchand had earlier in the shift turned the puck over in his own zone on a little stick check by Shaw, he was playing badly, why give him something?

But Boston's PP was bad (1 shot) (they got called for an offside during it)(!!), and iced the puck immediately after it was over.

And then Marchand ends the period by drawing a penalty. Tied 1-1, and I think Chicago got maybe one shot in the last 7 minutes.

Refs are in "we put away the whistles" mode. I don't want power-plays to decide the game, but you still have to call some things.
   909. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: June 15, 2013 at 10:52 PM (#4470355)
Have the Hawks had an odd-man rush this entire game?
   910. zack Posted: June 15, 2013 at 11:17 PM (#4470360)
I don't know why the hawks aren't shooting at Rask's far pad every time, he's been giving up Niemi-huge rebounds all series.
   911. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 15, 2013 at 11:22 PM (#4470363)
These are two well matched teams.
   912. The Ghost's Tryin' to Reason with Hurricane Season Posted: June 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM (#4470364)
GOAL!
   913. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: June 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM (#4470365)
####### Bollig. Hope you're ####### happy Q.

God ####### damn it.
   914. Robert in Manhattan Beach Posted: June 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM (#4470366)
Fair enough. Boston should have won it about five times in OT.
   915. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM (#4470367)
Awesome. Home field advantage to the Bruins. Excellent top drawer shot to tie the series.
   916. SteveF Posted: June 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM (#4470369)
I don't know why the hawks aren't shooting at Rask's far pad every time, he's been giving up Niemi-huge rebounds all series.

Every goal tender gives up rebounds on the far pad. I mean, you're right. That's the appropriate play when coming down the wing outside the dots unless you see the goaltender cheating off the post.

This series really is almost entirely determined by the Chicago forecheck. If they can manage a forecheck, they have such a huge advantage. When they don't, the game gets played more in Chicago's end where their 3-6 D men are (like most teams) unimpressive.
   917. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: June 15, 2013 at 11:39 PM (#4470370)

Tuukka is very tough to beat down there and the Bruins clear rebounds well. For all the rebounds he gave up, the Hawks didn't get a lot of follow up chances and that's pretty much the Bruins' defensive plan.

I don't know how these guys are getting through seven games. I'm sitting my fat ass on the couch and I'm exhausted.
   918. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 16, 2013 at 12:20 AM (#4470377)
I don't know how these guys are getting through seven games. I'm sitting my fat ass on the couch and I'm exhausted.

I was worried that this series was going to be like the 2001 NBA finals, where the underdog put up a good fight to begin with and then got swept away. The Bruins are clearly tougher than that. There's no way this series is less than 6 games, and I expect 7. These are two very well matched teams.
   919. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 16, 2013 at 12:24 AM (#4470378)
Also, Tuukka is earning a very large future paycheck as a 26 year old.
   920. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 17, 2013 at 03:08 AM (#4470869)
looks like the puck went in after the whistle but the whistle was blown too early, oh well if they had played more consistent they would be up 2-0 not 1-1.
   921. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 17, 2013 at 08:32 AM (#4470913)
The refs also missed a clear puck out of play penalty in overtime against the Hawks, so that balances out some. After that first period the Hawks didn't create a lot of sustained pressure.
   922. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:34 AM (#4470941)
Reports: NHL has Plan B for Coyotes involving Seattle, Jeremy Roenick

ccording to Elliotte Friedman and Glenn Healy of the CBC (video link here) on Saturday night, the NHL does have a Plan B at the moment, and it could come to fruition rather suddenly. If a deal is not reached with Glendale and RSE at the June 25 council meeting in Glendale, the Coyotes could finally be on the move. To Seattle.

According to Friedman and Healy, the Canucks had looked into moving their AHL franchise to Key Arena in Seattle, only to be rebuked. That's apparently because the NHL has a new investment team of Ray Bartoszek and Anthony Lanza ready to buy the team, and well above the asking price at $220 million. They would try to get a deal done with Glendale but if it didn't happen by July 2 -- which obviously isn't a lot of time -- then the team would move immediately to Seattle.

It was a pipe dream to land a team to KC, but our mayor has publicly said now he doesn't want the Coyotes, at least not with the deal they want.
   923. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM (#4471033)
A penalty in overtime doesnt balance out at all for a bad call that cost a goal in regulation. Cause well they get that call right then rhere might not even be overtime.
   924. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM (#4471049)
When they don't, the game gets played more in Chicago's end where their 3-6 D men are (like most teams) unimpressive.

I wish I could disagree with this assessment more strenuously, but the bottom half of the Hawks blue line has not been that good - Hjalmarrson had been great all playoffs, but you can pin several of the Bruins' goals on him directly. Oduya has been a turnover machine all playoffs after a very solid year. Leddy has been a total non-factor this series, when he should be able to use his speed more. Rozival has been about as good as you can hope for guy #6. Seabrook has been very inconsistent too (he was benched for stretches in the Wings seres). The only game when all those defenders played closer to their regular season levels was game 4 against LA when Keith was suspended.

It started late in game 1, but I think that the Bruins look like the fresher/better in shape team. I don't know if that means the Hawks are starting to show wear and tear from how physical this series and the last couple have been or what. So while I don't want to take anything away from the Bruins' defense, I don't know that the Hawks could have really had a long stretch of sustained pressure in the 3rd period/OT last game against even the Penguins.

The PP is such a momentum killer for the Hawks, I hate seeing the Bruins drawing penalties. And the non-goal sucked, but there's just nothing that can be done about it. If the ref knew where the puck was, he wouldn't have lost sight, but he wouldn't have been able to see the puck unless he was out of position. Total bad luck, which makes up for the good luck they got on the tying goal in game 1 (I guess).

I think I'll be surprised if they don't split these games in Boston and come back to Chicago tied at 2.
   925. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM (#4471053)
And while I hate that Bollig is out there, and his non-clear did lead to the goal, I still think Crawford could have had that save (and the shooter was so open, so there's someone else to blame too).
   926. Langer Monk Posted: June 17, 2013 at 01:38 PM (#4471164)
and the shooter was so open, so there's someone else to blame too

Seabrook and Keith were not in the best positions after the turnover. Didn't make it any easier on Crawford. Crawford could have gotten it, it was a few inches away from his glove, but it would have been a spectacular save if he got a piece.
   927. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 17, 2013 at 01:41 PM (#4471167)
Bollig out, Stalberg back in:

"Bollig gave us a couple real strong games," Quenneville said. "You can talk about the last play (in Game 2). Certainly, you like the predictability of his game. I thought he did a nice job. (With) Viktor, we're just looking for more. I think offensively, defensively (he's) giving us some more in both those areas."

Uh, what?
   928. Bull Pain Posted: June 17, 2013 at 01:56 PM (#4471182)
Through a large miracle I ended up with a sick lower level seat for Game 2 at no cost. From up close I can definitely say that Seabrook is playing hurt (or finished as a useful player). He can barely bend from the waist and looked even worse off in the warmup then he did during the game. His complete lack of mobility cost them dearly on the game winner and gifted the Bruins many other chances throughout the game. I think it's a big part of the disaster that is his power play unit as well. Keith seems afraid to try and pinch on the boards or gain the blue line with speed because he has to cover for Seabrook's inability to recover if the Bruins get the puck out quickly. It's not like Brookbank is an acceptable alternative, so the Hawks are at a big disadvantage.

The Blackhawks didn't have any good chances after the first period, and the Bruins were much more energized for the last 30 minutes + OT. I don't think the Bruins played all that well, which is very worrisome for these two games in Boston. If Boston turns on the juice like they did against Pittsburgh, the Hawks are in a lot of trouble. The Hawks would be much better served to return to the lines that finished off the Kings, but Quenneville seems locked into his decisions, regardless of the results.
   929. Shredder Posted: June 17, 2013 at 04:42 PM (#4471308)
I think it's a big part of the disaster that is his power play unit as well.
No, that would be Jamie Kompon, who failed miserably as a power play coach in L.A., and was inexplicably given the chance to do it again in another city.
   930. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: June 17, 2013 at 04:49 PM (#4471318)
The PP disaster actually predates Kompom. He actually "helped" them move up from 26th (15.2%) last year to 19th (16.6%) this year. It's still clearly a disaster.

The Hawks would be much better served to return to the lines that finished off the Kings, but Quenneville seems locked into his decisions, regardless of the results.

The good/bad thing about Q is that if they don't score in the 1st, it'll definitely be different line combos in the 2nd. They might actually be more likely to switch Kane and Hossa tonight, at least for offensive zone starts.

---

Here's another part of Q's quote on Stalberg playing tonight:

"I think we need some speed from him," Quenneville said. "I think we need energy. I think that he's a threat off the rush, in zone, defensively responsible. You know, bring energy."

Q has now listed speed, energy, being a threat off the rush, and more offense and defense as reasons for playing Stalberg over Bollig. Did anyone ask any followup questions as to why he played Bollig over him in games 1 and 2?
   931. Robert in Manhattan Beach Posted: June 17, 2013 at 05:03 PM (#4471334)
He said he liked Bollig's predictability. I think it was meant it as a compliment. It seems most Hawks fans view what happened at the end of Game 2 as pretty predictable.
   932. SteveF Posted: June 17, 2013 at 05:31 PM (#4471357)
It started late in game 1, but I think that the Bruins look like the fresher/better in shape team. I don't know if that means the Hawks are starting to show wear and tear from how physical this series and the last couple have been or what.

Tonight should tell us more. If Chicago can't sustain their forecheck in the 2nd/3rd+ periods, that will tell the story. Chicago needs more possession of the puck (which, given the skill sets of their players, should be something they can accomplish) to beat Boston. If the time in the attacking zones is relatively even, then Chicago loses this series.

Maybe Stalberg helps them sustain that forecheck for more of the game.
   933. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: June 17, 2013 at 05:35 PM (#4471360)
Jack Edwards (Bruins homer of a play by play man) did an online chat today. Included in that chat was this response to a question about Mike Emrick. Hard not to see this as a dig at Joe Buck...

Doc is energetic as heck and TRULY TRULY loves the game. He, as I often do, makes some mistakes on the air -- and yes we have beaten him up for some of them. But you could not find a guy who has given more hours of his life with such joy to the game he has served so well. He's a treasure, and he NEVER (prominent Fox announcer) EVER has sounded bored by a great game. I really enjoy listening to his calls.
   934. Robert in Manhattan Beach Posted: June 17, 2013 at 05:56 PM (#4471378)
I like Emrick - he's no Bob Miller, but who is - but he's not quite as clever as he seems to think he is. His little in game jokes or play on words have a pretty low batting average. Still, obviously, light years better than Joe Buck.
   935. zack Posted: June 17, 2013 at 06:33 PM (#4471403)
I think Emerick is probably in the top 5 of announcers across all sports. Certainly among national-level announcers. Hockey is absurdly hard to call, and he is wonderful at it. He has his ticks that annoy me sometimes but so does Vin Scully.

Jack Edwards, who makes Hawk Harrelson look objective, saying they both make mistakes is...I can't even come up with a metaphor for how ridiculous that is because it's so ridiculous.
   936. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 17, 2013 at 08:11 PM (#4471433)
I like that Emerick is even for both teams, he really seems to enjoy watching hockey no matter what
   937. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 17, 2013 at 08:21 PM (#4471437)
Glad that Horton is healthy enough to play, losing him on top of having already lost Campbell would have really hurt.

eta: Oh ####, Hossa's out? Rough miss for the Hawks.
   938. SteveF Posted: June 17, 2013 at 08:21 PM (#4471438)
Hossa has been basically invisible this series anyway. If it hurts Chicago, it's probably only defensively.
   939. zack Posted: June 17, 2013 at 08:34 PM (#4471444)
If it hurts Chicago, it's probably only defensively.

This is nonsense. Hossa is a possession monster, he's made a dozen huge defensive plays, and he had 7 shots on goal on Saturday. He's one of Chicago's best players.
   940. SteveF Posted: June 17, 2013 at 08:36 PM (#4471446)
This is nonsense.

I'm probably underselling how good he is defensively, I'll grant. He simply hasn't looked dangerous in this series, and now we probably know why.
   941. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 17, 2013 at 08:38 PM (#4471447)
Ugh. Not having Chara would completely change this series.

eta: well, guess it was nothing important, since he's already back on the ice.

eta2: Skate problem.
   942. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 17, 2013 at 08:40 PM (#4471448)
should be more then a minor for that hit right there...
   943. SteveF Posted: June 17, 2013 at 08:43 PM (#4471449)
To have so many talented offensive players and be so bad for so long on the power play has got to be a coaching issue.
   944. The Ghost's Tryin' to Reason with Hurricane Season Posted: June 17, 2013 at 08:43 PM (#4471450)
I don't understand how teams can go a whole power play without a shot on goal.
   945. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 17, 2013 at 08:46 PM (#4471451)
I don't understand how teams can go a whole power play without a shot on goal.

Did I hear right that it's now 3 PPs without a shot on goal for the Blackhawks? Yeesh. Just start throwing it on net, you'll do better.
   946. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 17, 2013 at 08:51 PM (#4471454)
That should have been a goal. Man. Toews is ice cold.

Also, man, Boston should have scored on one of those two breakaways.
   947. The Ghost's Tryin' to Reason with Hurricane Season Posted: June 17, 2013 at 08:53 PM (#4471455)
So they finally get one, but so do the shorthanded bruins ... and now in all alone - ARGGH.
   948. zack Posted: June 17, 2013 at 08:53 PM (#4471456)
So I guess the Bruins are just not playing a PK anymore since there is no threat from Chicago?
   949. SteveF Posted: June 17, 2013 at 08:55 PM (#4471458)
The play to Keith was pretty solid. He just needed to shoot.
   950. SteveF Posted: June 17, 2013 at 08:56 PM (#4471460)
Does it seem like there's more odd man rushes so far this game compared to first two?
   951. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:00 PM (#4471463)
I'm happy with how the Bruins have played, except for the stupid penalties. They did a very good job that period and the Hawks really only had one great scoring opportunity that Toews missed on during the PP.
   952. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:05 PM (#4471469)
Don Cherry's jacket is a B- tonight, white with different colored flower blossoms.
   953. SteveF Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:05 PM (#4471470)
The ice is horrible. Lots of bouncing pucks.

That was a pretty evenly played first, in spite of the Chicago forecheck not being a big factor. I think Chicago was better in their own end that period than they were in the later parts of game 2. They probably had some ill advised pinches, but didn't have to pay for them.
   954. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:20 PM (#4471478)
Woo!
   955. steagles Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:23 PM (#4471479)
To have so many talented offensive players and be so bad for so long on the power play has got to be a coaching issue.
it's definitely coaching, but i don't think the hawks have anyone who's an elite offensive player, either.

watching the flyers PP for the last few years, something like 90% of the goals the 1st unit has scored were off 1 of 3 plays.
1, is just a shot from the point. hartnell and simmonds set a screen, someone else puts the puck on net from the point and they muck around and look for a deflection/rebound. that's hard to really #### up.
2, is a little play with giroux and hartnell, where giroux has the puck on the sideboards and hartnell slides from in front of the net to the shortside faceoff dot, gets a pass from giroux and just a rips a one timer at the net. there was a run where hartnell score something like 5 PP goals in 3 games off that one play.
3, is similar to the duncan keith play, where everyone is on the boards on one side of the ice, and jake voracek slides down from the opposite point and if he gets the feed it's just him and the goalie. he had his best season as a pro this year almost entirely because of that play.

a few other things i've noticed:
danny briere likes to have the puck on his stick behind the net. from there, he can try to stuff the puck past the goalie, or he can pass it out to the point for a one timer or skate out one side and try to hit someone cutting to the opposite post with a pass.
the penguins have a play with james neal where he sets up behind the center on a faceoff and if they win it clean, he rips a one-timer at the net.
also marian gaborik used to do a thing where he'd sprint down the ice when the puck was dropped on a faceoff in the defensive zone. if the rangers won the draw, they'd just throw the puck ahead and because of his speed he'd create a ton of breakaways.
   956. zack Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:25 PM (#4471480)
it's definitely coaching, but i don't think the hawks have anyone who's an elite offensive player, either.

I guess I'm in a bad mood, because the only answer I can give to this is that you're an ass.

SteveF saying Hossa is only good for defence (twice) above was wrong, but this is just stupid.
   957. Bull Pain Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:26 PM (#4471481)
The guy who replaced Hossa caught puck watching on the goal. Playing Toews with season long 4th liners doesn't make much sense.
   958. SteveF Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:29 PM (#4471484)
i don't think the hawks have anyone who's an elite offensive player, either.

That's a good point, though both Kane and Sharp are pretty decent shooters. The top power play teams usually have guys who are elite talents offensively who come with warts. Teams like Chicago and Boston refuse to accept the warts (with good reason, as it turns out).
   959. SteveF Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:29 PM (#4471485)
The guy who replaced Hossa caught puck watching on the goal.

No question. It would've been Frolik in the position had Hossa been playing, right? Big difference there.
   960. SteveF Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:31 PM (#4471486)
SteveF saying Hossa is only good for defence (twice)

In this series, I stand by that statement. Perhaps my expectations for his performance were unreasonable. He simply hasn't been dangerous.
   961. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:35 PM (#4471488)
lol: https://twitter.com/ChrisKuc/status/346778135108395008/photo/1
   962. zack Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:36 PM (#4471489)
You were speaking about his loss for the future of the series. Even if he hasn't been dangerous, which I don't think is true, it does not follow that that would necessarily continue. I think he hasn't scored, obviously, but he had some good looks earlier in the last game.
   963. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:43 PM (#4471493)
That was an incredible pass by Jagr.
   964. SteveF Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:44 PM (#4471494)
Chicago's been at their best in this series down by 2 goals, so we'll see what happens.
   965. Robert in Manhattan Beach Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:44 PM (#4471495)
The Blackhawks just look so slow. Always chasing and reaching.
   966. Bull Pain Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:46 PM (#4471497)
Seabrook just killing the Hawks.
   967. zack Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:48 PM (#4471499)
They need to stop overloading so strongly in the neutral zone. Boston continually has a guy wide open down the weak board who can get to the circles before anyone is in front of him. Then they just hold-up and drop pass and all the Chicago defenders are scrambling to regain shape.
   968. SteveF Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:52 PM (#4471502)
Looked like a dive.
   969. zack Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:53 PM (#4471503)
What the #### was that.
   970. Bull Pain Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:53 PM (#4471504)
If Hossa is out for more than just this game, I think the series is over. The Hawks are a confused mess and the Bruins are too solid to not take full advantage.
   971. SteveF Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:56 PM (#4471506)
The officiating in this game has not been great. Some strange calls and some strange non calls.

I think I hold my breath every time someone makes a point to point pass. The ice is so bad.
   972. Bull Pain Posted: June 17, 2013 at 09:56 PM (#4471507)
Bergeron 19-3 on faceoffs! Handzus 0-10, Bolland 1-8.
   973. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:04 PM (#4471509)
I don't think the Hawks have been playing absolutely horrible, Boston's just playing a bit better. They're doing a great job of controlling rebounds. No Hawks player has been near the puck whenever Rask gives up a rebound. They gotta have like 25 blocked shots too.
   974. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM (#4471519)
Bruins have only blocked 3 shots, Hawks have blocked 13.
   975. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM (#4471526)
Really? Huh, seems like they're blocking a lot more...
   976. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM (#4471528)
It's possible I completely misread the box score and it's the other way around, but I don't think so.
   977. The Ghost's Tryin' to Reason with Hurricane Season Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM (#4471533)
No shots on the PP again.
   978. Langer Monk Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM (#4471536)
It's the other way around.

Boston 16 blocked shots.
   979. SteveF Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:29 PM (#4471537)
So obviously the path to victory for the Bruins is to take 4 more penalties.
   980. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:29 PM (#4471538)
My mistake, then!

I feel like Chicago would be better off declining the penalty.
   981. Bull Pain Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:29 PM (#4471539)
The rest of the Kings deserve a second ring for winning the cup with Kompon running the PP.
   982. Snowboy Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:32 PM (#4471543)
EDIT: deleted
   983. zack Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM (#4471545)
Kane playing the PK!

And another chicken #### PP over PS call. But then I'm assuming you wouldn't get one for the Clarke on Kharlamov at this point.
   984. Bull Pain Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM (#4471546)
That was one of the smartest penalties ever taken. Do Hawks pull Crawford now?
   985. SteveF Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM (#4471548)
Clarke on Kharlamov

Hah! Nice reference. That was a brutal one.
   986. zack Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:43 PM (#4471550)
For as poorly as they are looking, the hawks have had chances, they're just pulling them wide.

And when you are getting dong-whipped at the dot to the tune of 36-16 you are making things extraordinarily difficult for yourself. Faceoffs aren't as important as we like to think, but when the differential gets that big it tilts the rink.
   987. Bull Pain Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:43 PM (#4471551)
Did the Hawks really have Saad on the point there? WTF are they doing?
   988. zack Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM (#4471552)
Ha, how awesome would it be if that post was a goal and they had to replay the last 45 seconds after the game "ends".
   989. zack Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:46 PM (#4471554)
Quit being a dick Chara. Enough with the cross-checks to the teeth.
   990. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:46 PM (#4471556)
Nice to chara with he elbow then cross check there
   991. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM (#4471558)
Bickell should have realized that discretion is the better part of valor. The elbow was cheap, but the crosscheck happened because Bickell got frustrated and tried to start something with a giant.
   992. Bull Pain Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM (#4471559)
So, uh, why no penalty on Chara?

Nevermind.

No Hossa means Bruins in 5.
   993. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM (#4471561)
Chara is a punk plain and simple
   994. SteveF Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM (#4471562)
The Hawks were better through the neutral zone in the 3rd. Maybe they can carry that over to game 4.
   995. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM (#4471564)
Marchand and Chara can have their own little celebration in the locker room.

I really can't see the Blackhawks winning this unless Rask cools down considerably.
   996. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM (#4471565)
He got frustrated because of an illegal elbow which was follwed up by an uncalled for and illegal cross check. Bruins are a dirty team theres no doubt about it
   997. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM (#4471566)
Chara is a punk plain and simple

Oh quit whining. It's not entirely Chara's fault your team doesn't seem to realize that they're supposed to shoot the puck when they have a power play.
   998. Langer Monk Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:52 PM (#4471567)
Rask just say it was sh1tty ice?
   999. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM (#4471568)
Still doesnt excuse the cross check to the face
   1000. Bull Pain Posted: June 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM (#4471570)
To be fair, Rask hasn't had many tough saves other than the first period of game 2, and a lot of those are because he was spilling rebounds. The Boston defensive play, particularly by their forwards, has been the real MVP of the series and probably the playoffs. Seems like Boston has had 3 good scoring chances for every 1 Chicago chance all series.
Page 10 of 17 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Ghost's Tryin' to Reason with Hurricane Season
for his generous support.