Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, November 01, 2012

OT: November College Football Thread.

Alabama Is still Ranked #1.  Will they hold steady to repeat? Make it to the title game?  Or does another team claim the Crystal ball in Miami in January.

odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: November 01, 2012 at 01:43 PM | 3408 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college football

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 21 of 35 pages ‹ First  < 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 >  Last ›
   2001. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: December 13, 2012 at 04:25 PM (#4324082)
Agree that comparing Texas A&M as a #2 to GW and UMass is misleading. Texas A&M is probably the most valuable #2 in the country. Someone like UCLA may be their only competition. Texas A&M by itself is way more valuable than Georgetown.

Notre Dame and Louisville to the ACC next year?
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21390901/could-notre-dame-and-louisville-be-in-the-acc-by-next-season

Dominos are starting for a huge 2013 realignment.
   2002. Rennie's Tenet Posted: December 13, 2012 at 09:33 PM (#4324382)
With the Big East reverting in the direction of its original configuration, I think they played a losing hand really well for about 30 years here. Their real nemesis, the Eastern all sports conference, is scattered all over the place, and they can take another crack at basketball now.
   2003. Tripon Posted: December 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM (#4324443)
Boom.

The seven non-Football Bowl Subdivision schools in the Big East have agreed to leave the conference and are debating the process of departing it, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Details are still to be determined for how the seven Catholic schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova -- will leave the conference.

Big East commissioner Mike Aresco told the athletic directors of the remaining and incoming schools Thursday evening that he expects the seven schools will leave the Big East, a source told ESPN. On the call, Aresco told the ADs that he had not officially heard from the seven schools that they were leaving.

According to the source, there is a lot of interpretation regarding exit fees, the waiting period, and on who gets the "Big East" name and Madison Square Garden for a conference basketball tournament.

2004. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: December 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM (#4324454)
And in the worst position of all, UConn and Memphis, the basketball-only schools that are being led by their pathetic vestigial football teams.
   2005. steagles Posted: December 14, 2012 at 01:16 AM (#4324497)
And in the worst position of all, UConn and Memphis, the basketball-only schools that are being led by their pathetic vestigial football teams.
i don't think uconn is in that bad of a position. if they're smart, they'll latch on to the jesuit basketball conference for a few years and just play as an independent in football until they get sucked up by someone in the next round of realignment.

temple is really in a #### position, though. they left the A-10 for the big east right as it crumbled into bolivia, so now what do they do? i guess they could crawl back on their hands and knees to the MAC and to the A-10 and hope to get their spot back, but that's not exactly an ideal scenario.
   2006. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 14, 2012 at 01:42 AM (#4324507)
Just think about Temple's last decade or so....In the Big East, booted from the Big East....off to the MAC...back into the Big East and now left holding a bag of ####.
   2007. smileyy Posted: December 14, 2012 at 02:03 AM (#4324512)
Just think about Temple's last decade or so....In the Big East, booted from the Big East....off to the MAC...back into the Big East and now left holding a bag of ####.

Well, just from a football point of view.

But hey, they'll always have the Eagle Bank Bowl and New Mexico Bowl to remember.
   2008. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: December 14, 2012 at 02:20 AM (#4324517)
Temple should just join the CAA for football and be done with it, like Villanova. And join the Big East basketball schools, like Villanova. They probably would have dropped down to I-AA upon their ouster from the Big East, except for the inspiring counterexample of UConn going the opposite direction, which made Temple leadership feel like big wusses for even considering the idea.
   2009. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 14, 2012 at 02:27 AM (#4324520)
not that they should build a football stadium, but playing at Lincoln Financial is about as silly as anything associated w Temple athletics.
   2010. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: December 17, 2012 at 02:32 PM (#4326885)
papa johns to help louisville sell sugar bowl tickets

sadly that .13 cents per pizza is still too much for him to eat...
   2011. hokieneer Posted: December 17, 2012 at 03:58 PM (#4326989)
Stedman Bailey leaving WVU for the NFL.
   2012. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 17, 2012 at 04:56 PM (#4327083)
Stedman Bailey leaving WVU for the NFL.

Can't blame him. We're going to find out just how much of an offensive genius Holgorsen is and just how well all these JuCo's he is recruiting can play next year. I'm choosing to be optimistic, because why the hell not but with two FCS squads on the schedule for some reason, there's a decent chance they don't go bowling next year.
   2013. Every Inge Counts Posted: December 19, 2012 at 12:11 AM (#4328233)
Gary Andersen to Wisconsin...I kind of like the move.
   2014. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 19, 2012 at 12:30 AM (#4328243)
Gary Andersen to Wisconsin...I kind of like the move.

I agree, I think that's a smart move. He did wonders at Utah St., including building as nasty a defense as you can get in the WAC. IMO, Utah St. was the best non-bcs team in the country this season and I'm surprised it took this long for their coach to get snatched up. Nice pickup for Wisconsin.
   2015. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 19, 2012 at 12:34 AM (#4328246)
nothing wrong about that move at all. He wanted his staff to join him too, I suspect that was the lone hang up in this move, as it was a bit of a local media gaffe fest in reporting all of this. BA might not 'win the press conference' Thursday but the guy made USU quite competitive in about 2.7 years. Curious to see how the offensive set is impacted. USU and UW aren't exactly matches in offensive style. USU by all accounts outplayed UW at Madison this season, and was a missed FGA from winning, following a mystery Off PI call at the end of the drive.
   2016. Every Inge Counts Posted: December 19, 2012 at 12:45 AM (#4328248)
Utah State and Florida International are now the only two teams with head coaching vacancies. Three teams went the NFL assistant route to get new head coaches (Temple, Western Michigan, and UTEP). Only San Jose State and Georgia State dipped into the FCS divisions for a new head coach.
   2017. McCoy Posted: December 19, 2012 at 12:50 AM (#4328250)
Northern Illinois has only had about a third of their ticket allotment snapped up and they have done that in part by giving tickets away to students. Meanwhile Florida State has sold less than a quarter of their allotment.
   2018. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 19, 2012 at 02:31 AM (#4328279)
bowl tickets are just not moving at all in many places. tell me again how multiple weeks of neutral site football games is a good thing.
   2019. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: December 19, 2012 at 02:40 AM (#4328282)
well having 35 bowls kind of dilutes the whole end of season rewards since, well 70 teams get to play in them, and well most of the teams dont really deserve it
   2020. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 19, 2012 at 11:40 AM (#4328474)
tell me again how multiple weeks of neutral site football games is a good thing.

Because it's more football. TV drives these games anyway.

The only issue I have with the bowls themselves (IOW, not the selection process) is that they force the school to eat the overpriced ticket packages they can't sell. That's grotesque. Everything else about playing the bowls is glorious. After watching the first two, I will probably squeeze in another 15 or so, and I would watch more if I could make my schedule work.
   2021. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM (#4328506)
Because it's more football. TV drives these games anyway.

The only issue I have with the bowls themselves (IOW, not the selection process) is that they force the school to eat the overpriced ticket packages they can't sell. That's grotesque

I know and agree with these things. I've been to 7 bowl games, as a fan it is fun stuff, but the idea of dragging out multi week playoffs (all at neutral sites) is crappy from the fan perspective, and that's what I care about. I get it, TV rules football, that's why the BIG has turned into a TV Network posing as a 'conference'. The BIG having a bigger 'footprint' does nothing for me, I don't particularly care if they become 'more wealthy' and the network becomes a wild success.
   2022. Every Inge Counts Posted: December 19, 2012 at 01:18 PM (#4328589)
I will probably go to the Music City Bowl this year. Going to be in Nashville for New Year's Eve and have a couple of friends who are Vandy fans/alum.

2nd time I would have been to the Music City Bowl, last time was the Alabama-Minnesota game in which Alabama had a high school offense and a college defense...unfortunately that was not enough to win the game.
   2023. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: December 20, 2012 at 01:21 AM (#4329151)
I love it, the general sentiment among sconny fans is they are happy with the new coach and that the old was a big fan of the co-eds...
   2024. Tripon Posted: December 20, 2012 at 01:49 AM (#4329163)
Who is not fans of co-eds?
   2025. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 20, 2012 at 03:18 AM (#4329179)
I forget who told me this, one of my UW friends, or maybe Harveys, but basically Alvarez told Bielema a couple years ago 'Look, either you get married by next year or you're going to be back on a farm with the pigs.' I guess he got both ends of that deal, married and the pigs. Bielema grew up on a farm in Illinois, and definitely chased some tail, and liked to tie one on.

Bielema with a pink drink.
   2026. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 20, 2012 at 05:19 AM (#4329190)
but the idea of dragging out multi week playoffs (all at neutral sites) is crappy from the fan perspective, and that's what I care about.

Ah, I totally misunderstood your post then. I agree, multi-week playoffs, especially if they take place at neutral sites, are going to be horrible.

I get it, TV rules football, that's why the BIG has turned into a TV Network posing as a 'conference'. The BIG having a bigger 'footprint' does nothing for me, I don't particularly care if they become 'more wealthy' and the network becomes a wild success.

I agree with this sentiment too. TV has done quite a bit lately to ruin the set up of the sport. I'll miss the Big East (which is dead as far as I am concerned) and a lot of the rivalry games that have gone by the way side.
   2027. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: December 20, 2012 at 10:04 AM (#4329246)
The bowl ticket thing is really a complete absurdity, but the good news is that will soon come to an end. When even the Floridas of the world can't sell out their allotments, but are still bringing 30k+ to games, you know that the system is broken.

Schools have wised up. On the Rutgers board I was reading stories about fans who are boosters, with major priority points and all that jazz, buying Russell Athletic Bowl tix through the school and getting end zone seats for $72. Meanwhile, you can get between the 40s for 20 bucks or less on Stubhub. It's totally nuts...these bowl committees are borderline criminal cartels.
   2028. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: December 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM (#4329249)

I get what you're saying, but I wouldn't lump the UConn football program in with Memphis. I mean, Memphis really is a bag of crap in football, but UConn is a few years removed from a Fiesta Bowl apperance and has big wins over Notre Dame and South Carolina in the recent past.
   2029. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: December 20, 2012 at 10:10 AM (#4329250)
but playing at Lincoln Financial is about as silly as anything associated w Temple athletics.

It was pretty awesome for this year's Temple/Rutgers game with 20k Rutgers fans in the building.

Temple tries hard but it just doesn't seem to be working. They have certainly not bee that bad of a team since Addazio took over, but they just can't generate much interest.
   2030. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: December 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM (#4329254)
Also, I'm not 100 percent convinced the Big East football conference will be all that bad. As a best of the rest conference, if they add Fresno and BYU, it's pretty cromulent.

2031. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: December 20, 2012 at 10:57 AM (#4329285)
Brett McMuprhy coins new basketball conference the "Big Priest." That's really fantastic.
   2032. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: December 20, 2012 at 04:36 PM (#4329541)
So it wasnt just athletes getting good grades for pretty much nothing courses at UNC it was the entire student body getting them from that department, meaning it is an academic issue and a major one at that.
   2033. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: December 20, 2012 at 06:36 PM (#4329635)
heres the link
   2034. steagles Posted: December 20, 2012 at 08:38 PM (#4329690)
Temple tries hard but it just doesn't seem to be working. They have certainly not bee that bad of a team since Addazio took over, but they just can't generate much interest.
addazio was just about the worst guy they could have hired. he was an underqualified mercenary who had no ties to the program and who only got the job because he worked for someone who had a lot of success before he got there, and a lot of success after he left.

and incidentally, that was also the reason i didn't like penn state hiring bill o'brien last year. so, i guess i'm batting .500 on that.

i think the new guy temple hired is a good choice. he was the offensive coordinator/recruiting coordinator at temple under al golden, and then when golden left, he went to coach in the NFL for a year. to me, that reads like an ideal resume for anyone who would consider working at temple. with the big east blowing up, he's walking into a really tough situation, but he's a good guy to have.
   2035. DA Baracus Posted: December 20, 2012 at 08:41 PM (#4329695)
and incidentally, that was also the reason i didn't like penn state hiring bill o'brien last year. so, i guess i'm batting .500 on that.

The jury is still out on O'Brien. Nice first year but plenty of coaches have had a nice first year with their predecessor's team and done nothing after that. Ditto Jim Mora.
   2036. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 21, 2012 at 12:05 AM (#4329841)
Kyle Van Noy is having an absurd game. A blocked punt, a forced fumble, a pick, 2 TDs and 8 tackles. Holy smokes.
   2037. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 21, 2012 at 01:10 AM (#4329866)
He even fell down before making that pick six. You neglected the 1.5 sacks.

side note: I'm pretty sure BYU/SDSU played the highest scoring tie in I-A history at 52-52 in the Marshall Faulk era, '91 I think. But for the rash of turnovers tonight, I'm not so sure they wouldn't still be lining up for field goals.
   2038. Every Inge Counts Posted: December 24, 2012 at 04:16 PM (#4331981)
Butch Davis is back in college...new head coach at Florida International...
   2039. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM (#4332770)
CMU wants to take their time outs back to Mt. Pleasant with them.
   2040. Every Inge Counts Posted: December 27, 2012 at 11:10 PM (#4333411)
Duke has fumbled twice inside of the ten...poor Duke.

And then allowed a deep pass and run for the TD.
   2041. Every Inge Counts Posted: December 27, 2012 at 11:18 PM (#4333414)
and Duke completes the meltdown.
   2042. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 27, 2012 at 11:45 PM (#4333425)
So you're sitting there watching, and you've got Duke +9 with just over 1 minute to go in a tie game, and they are inside the Cincy 10 looking to take the lead, and then, whooooooshhhhhhh.
   2043. Every Inge Counts Posted: December 28, 2012 at 12:25 AM (#4333432)
Baylor is just curb-stomping UCLA.
   2044. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 28, 2012 at 12:33 AM (#4333439)
The real bowl season began today! pretty awesome Belk Bowl. That punt was amazing. Duke really Duked that up though. Cincy has had 10 wins or more in 5 of the last 6 years. Pretty remarkable for that program, no matter the competition.

Gotta love the UCLA fake punt. I mean, they needed something to get started. But they should be careful, Baylor might break the bowl scoring record if UCLA starts putting up points.
   2045. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 28, 2012 at 01:40 AM (#4333453)
Baylor did break the old bowl game scoring record last year, but that held for less than a week until WVA hung thousands on Clemson.

I definitely supported that fake punt.

Pretty cool that Baylor has RBs with names of Lache (Lake) and Glasgow.
   2046. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 28, 2012 at 01:49 AM (#4333457)
I won't go so far as to call Baylor a sleeping giant, but it wasn't that long ago, where their own coach (Dave Roberts mid late 90s) called his team the worst in America. You may also recall another coach during their malaise period (Kevin Steele) in one of the biggest clock management debacles in history in 1999. They were seconds from victory against UNLV, and instead of taking a knee near the UNLV goal line, Steele wanted to make a statement and punch it in, his RB fumbled and UNLV ran it back 99 yards to win the game with no time. That was Steele's first game at Baylor. I think he won 1 conference game in four years.

Briles is a smart dude, and recruiting looks good, and they are actually building a new stadium (Floyd Casey is amongst the worst I've ever been to). Good for them.
   2047. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 28, 2012 at 01:59 AM (#4333460)
So USC apparently showed up 90 minutes late to a big 'Sherrif's Dinner' at the Sun Bowl which is a big team get together. GT ended up leaving the event. USC blamed it on a late arrival setting back their practice schedule. Then a USC DL tweeted that El Paso was a sh**ty city.
   2048. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 28, 2012 at 02:17 AM (#4333464)
Briles is a smart dude, and recruiting looks good, and they are actually building a new stadium (Floyd Casey is amongst the worst I've ever been to). Good for them.

Yeah, Baylor football is definitely looking up. The Big 12 has a few programs on the upswing and Baylor might be at the most dangerous of them right now.

Their defense looks fantastic tonight. I'm hoping that doesn't carry over to next season. And fortunately, they are rebuilding much of their offense too next year. Baylor is a perennial bowl program these days.

So USC apparently showed up 90 minutes late to a big 'Sherrif's Dinner' at the Sun Bowl which is a big team get together. GT ended up leaving the event. USC blamed it on a late arrival setting back their practice schedule. Then a USC DL tweeted that El Paso was a sh**ty city.

Lane Kiffin is just the worst ####### coach in the nation, when you factor in his influence and behavior off the field. USC is insane for keeping him after what he's done this year.
   2049. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: December 28, 2012 at 02:31 AM (#4333469)
And what an ####### move to try to call a time out so that play can be reviewed, the game is over you won by 23 even with that td, just let it end and go home
   2050. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 28, 2012 at 02:32 AM (#4333470)
WTF just happened? Baylor was up 49-19. UCLA runs a final play a pass and catch by UCLA, the WR is clearly down before reaching the goaline, the Ref signals TD. They don't review, Briles calls TO, in an apparent effort to challenge the play. They don't review the score, and then ignore the replay and kick the PAT. Didn't impact the O/U or ATS so I guess it was totally meaningless.
   2051. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: December 28, 2012 at 02:34 AM (#4333471)
And southern cal deserves kiffen
   2052. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 28, 2012 at 02:35 AM (#4333472)
Ex. B on why not to bet bowl games. Who the hell saw Baylor's D playing like this? Pretty impressive finish for Baylor. This team lost two games this season scoring 50+ points.
   2053. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 28, 2012 at 09:04 PM (#4333969)
Beamer, VT, look tired.
   2054. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: December 28, 2012 at 10:45 PM (#4333999)
They looked like that for much of the year, afaict.
   2055. Mike Webber Posted: December 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM (#4334007)
Baylor is really good now, the QB took awhile to get going, but right now they are playing like a top 15 team.
And the VT vs Rutgers game was just not fun. It had to be miserable to be there in that rain, and those defenses might have been good, but those offenses were awful.

The Tech vs Minny game is starting fun, Minnesota is looking good with power running formations.
   2056. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 28, 2012 at 11:02 PM (#4334008)
And the VT vs Rutgers game was just not fun. It had to be miserable to be there in that rain, and those defenses might have been good, but those offenses were awful.

Yeah, that was an affront to offensive football. Rutgers needs to get a new OC ASAP, that was a pathetic showing.

The Tech vs Minny game is starting fun, Minnesota is looking good with power running formations.

Yeah, they are hanging tough. I have to say I didn't expect that.
   2057. Mike Webber Posted: December 28, 2012 at 11:08 PM (#4334011)
That dull finish on the Minnesota helmets look like a leather helmets to me.
   2058. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: December 28, 2012 at 11:22 PM (#4334015)
GARY NOVA IS THE WORST QB IN HISTORY. THAT IS ALL.
   2059. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 29, 2012 at 12:22 AM (#4334045)
The box score and drive chart in that game is high comedy. 20 punts, 350 yards in 4 qtrs, 28-65 passing at one point, 5 turnovers, I swear there were 15 incomplete passes thrown out of bounds. The 3 and outs or less were in the high teens.
   2060. Every Inge Counts Posted: December 29, 2012 at 01:53 AM (#4334073)
Minnesota-Texas Tech was an entertaining game. Tech pulls out the win...
   2061. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 29, 2012 at 02:09 AM (#4334076)
another in the extremely long list of pretty painful Gopher losses in football. BIG needs some help to scrap its rep.
   2062. cmd600 Posted: December 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM (#4334124)
2061 - I think that yesterdays game should have helped the B1G's rep. Minny went 2-6 in conference and played a tight game with a pretty good team in the latter's neighborhood. The only way the B1G can fix its rep is to not be so good at selling bowl tickets. They are never going to see a set of evenly matched bowls.
   2063. Spivey Posted: December 29, 2012 at 12:58 PM (#4334160)
cmd600 - that isn't why this bowl wasn't evenly matched. They weren't evenly matched because the Big 12 is the deeper, better conference. And 2 of the better schools weren't eligible for bowls. I think that Minnesota should be congratulated for playing a team close that they were not as good at. At the end of the day - for better or worse (worse, IMO) - bowl records are pretty much what people look to at the end of the year to say "which conferences are best".

I'm really looking forward to Texas/Oregon State. Looks like Jordan Hicks, Texas' best linebacker who has missed almost all year, and Case McCoy got sent home related to sexual assault allegations. That's... not good.
   2064. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: December 29, 2012 at 01:01 PM (#4334161)
Looks like Jordan Hicks, Texas' best linebacker who has missed almost all year, and Case McCoy got sent home related to sexual assault allegations. That's... not good.

They grow 'em up right in Texas!
   2065. SoSH U at work Posted: December 29, 2012 at 01:02 PM (#4334162)
cmd600 - that isn't why this bowl wasn't evenly matched.

He didn't say that was the case here. And obviously the Big 10 is way down this year. But by and large, it's true. The Big 10 tends to be scheduled up in bowl games because the schools travel well.
   2066. Spivey Posted: December 29, 2012 at 01:22 PM (#4334167)
He didn't say that was the case here. And obviously the Big 10 is way down this year. But by and large, it's true. The Big 10 tends to be scheduled up in bowl games because the schools travel well.

Evidence? Seems like if you could argue any conference gets scheduled up it is the SEC.
   2067. SoSH U at work Posted: December 29, 2012 at 02:44 PM (#4334194)
Evidence? Seems like if you could argue any conference gets scheduled up it is the SEC.

The existing tie-ins are pretty even for all the conferences. 3s play 2/3s, 4s play 3/4s or 4/5s, etc.

However, the Big 10 has earned the most at-large selections to BCS bowl berths in the BCS era at 11 (followed by the SEC with 10 - no other conference is close). Those at-large selections have the result of pulling up lower ranked conference teams into better bowl games from top to bottom (and those bowl games don't balk because the Big Ten schools tend to travel better).

Moreover, considering the two leagues respective performances over the past dozen or so years, it's pretty clear that the SEC teams aren't playing up in these other bowl games - they're playing teams with similar portfolios (the No. 3 team in the SEC is generally considered better or equal to the No. 2 in most other conferences, and deservedly so). The same can't be said about the Big Ten.

So yes, the Big Ten teams are scheduled up in bowl games more than any other league, which is one reason (though not the only one) for their shoddy record/reputation.

2068. thok Posted: December 29, 2012 at 02:49 PM (#4334197)
They weren't evenly matched because the Big 12 is the deeper, better conference.

To be fair, almost every school in the Big 10 is roughly two bowls above the level it should be this year; thank you Ohio State and Penn State.
   2069. Spivey Posted: December 29, 2012 at 03:15 PM (#4334208)
To be fair, almost every school in the Big 10 is roughly two bowls above the level it should be this year; thank you Ohio State and Penn State.

Yes, which I tried to acknowledge in the next sentence - but it was pretty poorly worded.

As for the scheduling up - I think the main thing is that outside of a couple of pre-January 1 bowls - like the Alamo Bowl, Holiday Bowl, other random good match ups like Boise/Louisville - the conference reputation is won and lost in the big bowls. For the Big 10, that is currently the Outback, Capital One, and Gator Bowl (I apparently didn't realize they had the Gator Bowl tie-in), plus the BCS games. These are the bowls they're consistently losing, and they're not scheduling up in them.
   2070. SoSH U at work Posted: December 29, 2012 at 03:22 PM (#4334209)
For the Big 10, that is currently the Outback, Capital One, and Gator Bowl (I apparently didn't realize they had the Gator Bowl tie-in), plus the BCS games. These are the bowls they're consistently losing, and they're not scheduling up in them.

Yes, they are. By routinely getting an at-large berth into the BCS (berths themselves that may not always be warranted in a true merit-based world), their No. 3 is moving up to No. 2, their No. 4 to No. 3, No. 5 to No. 4 for the Outback, Capital One and Gator. Couple that with the fact the conference hasn't been on par with the SEC and Big 12 for much of that time frame, and the Big Ten teams are typically playing better teams, on paper, in these bowl games.
   2071. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: December 29, 2012 at 03:24 PM (#4334211)
So, yeah, 2012 is a bad year for the B1G because of the tattoo parties and the little boy rapers, but outside of this year isn't the argument that the B1G "schedules up" for bowl games really "the B1G isn't deep enough to compete in as many bowls as they attend?
   2072. Spivey Posted: December 29, 2012 at 03:27 PM (#4334213)
The whole SEC is great and Big 10 sucks has started over the last 5 or so years. In that time, the SEC is getting an at-large berth every or near every year as well. Throw in the fact that the best non-BCS team from the SEC plays the Big 12 half the time and it's just not true that the Big 10 is scheduling up. That's the thing - most of the big time games these two conferences play are against each other.
   2073. cmd600 Posted: December 29, 2012 at 03:39 PM (#4334215)
I don't consider even scheduling as simple as #4 B1G vs #4 any other conference. The B1G has been the 3rd or 4th best conference recently, but gets the second (and far ahead of #3) best set of bowl tie ins. Of the four major non-BCS New Year's bowls (Cotton, Cap One, Outback, Gator), the SEC has 4 slots, The B1G has 3, and the Big 12 has 1 (and obviously the Pac 12 has none). The B1G is in zero danger of losing those equivalent-of-prime-time games to teams from the Big and Pac 12s, that are probably more deserving, because they sell tickets. Nobody who makes money off these games cares that both Nebraska and Michigan are playing teams ranked noticeably higher, because well, Nebraska and Michigan. The bowls would much rather have them than plenty of higher ranked teams. They're playing up.
   2074. SoSH U at work Posted: December 29, 2012 at 03:39 PM (#4334216)
So, yeah, 2012 is a bad year for the B1G because of the tattoo parties and the little boy rapers, but outside of this year isn't the argument that the B1G "schedules up" for bowl games really "the B1G isn't deep enough to compete in as many bowls as they attend?

That's a small reason, sure. Part of that is because the Big Ten draws better for bowl games than other conferences, thus making them more attractive than their resume suggests. You know, what cmd said to begin with.

The whole SEC is great and Big 10 sucks has started over the last 5 or so years. In that time, the SEC is getting an at-large berth every or near every year as well. Throw in the fact that the best non-BCS team from the SEC plays the Big 12 half the time and it's just not true that the Big 10 is scheduling up. That's the thing - most of the big time games these two conferences play are against each other.

Christ Spivey, you asked for evidence and I gave it to you. If I'd known you were just going to ignore it, I'd have saved myself the trouble of looking that #### up.

And yes, the SEC has had an excellent run of at-large selections. You'd be hard-pressed to find any that weren't warranted, and in fact, like this year, probably have other teams that are more deserving of a BCS appearance than teams that got them. They're not getting scheduled up in the bowl games.
   2075. cmd600 Posted: December 29, 2012 at 03:44 PM (#4334220)
most of the big time games these two conferences play are against each other

Only for the Big Ten and SEC. The Big 12 doesn't get big games like those two do, and the Pac 12 plays even fewer.
   2076. hokieneer Posted: December 29, 2012 at 05:36 PM (#4334253)
Is anyone beside wvu and cuse fans watching the pinstripe bowl. Its really unwatchable so far.
   2077. Spivey Posted: December 29, 2012 at 05:55 PM (#4334262)
I don't think the Gator Bowl is better than the Holiday or Alamo. In terms of ratings or quality of teams. The ChikFilA/Peach should be in the discussion as well.

Christ Spivey, you asked for evidence and I gave it to you. If I'd known you were just going to ignore it, I'd have saved myself the trouble of looking that #### up.

I don't think your evidence supports your point though. That the Big10 has the most atlarge selections is an important fact, but has nothing to do with this specific point. They are - in the meaningful bowls - mainly matched up with SEC or a BCS team and they aren't scheduled up in those bowls.
   2078. Spivey Posted: December 29, 2012 at 06:00 PM (#4334264)
I'm watching the Pinstripe bowl. It hasn't been exciting from what I've seen. But I like seeing a bowl game in shitty weather. WVU pissed away some serious offensive talent this year. Without the big 3 next year, they could extremely struggle.
   2079. Spivey Posted: December 29, 2012 at 06:03 PM (#4334268)
And yes, the SEC has had an excellent run of at-large selections. You'd be hard-pressed to find any that weren't warranted, and in fact, like this year, probably have other teams that are more deserving of a BCS appearance than teams that got them. They're not getting scheduled up in the bowl games.

I guess we may be saying different things about what scheduled up means. I mean #X team from the Big 10 plays #Y conference from another conference.
   2080. SoSH U at work Posted: December 29, 2012 at 06:13 PM (#4334273)
I don't think your evidence supports your point though. That the Big10 has the most atlarge selections is an important fact, but has nothing to do with this specific point. They are - in the meaningful bowls - mainly matched up with SEC or a BCS team and they aren't scheduled up in those bowls.

Yes, it does. The fact that the Big Ten has gotten more at-large selections in the BCS, itself often driven by the league's teams ability to travel well, means that its third-best team is filling the spot that should go to the league's second-best team, the fourth-best team is taking the place that should go to the third-best team, etc. Since the league hasn't been any better than the second-to-fourth best during this time frame (the SEC being the consistent No. 1, with the Pac 10, Big 12 and Big 10 rotating into the other spots), the Big 10 teams are, on average, playing up.

Unless you think the Big 10 has been the best league in the BCS era, I don't know you could argue that, on average, it's teams aren't playing up at bowl time.

In contrast, the league you mentioned initially, the SEC, is probably playing down, though that's based entirely on the league's strength.

I guess we may be saying different things about what scheduled up means. I mean #X team from the Big 10 plays #Y conference from another conference.

I'm using it in the way cmd used it in the post that started the conversation. The Big Ten teams end up playing teams better than themselves at bowl time. There are several reasons to explain why that happens in a given season, though the year-after-year reason for it is the league's teams' ability to sell tickets to its bowl games at a better rate than the schools from other leagues, which makes them more attractive invites.
   2081. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: December 29, 2012 at 06:48 PM (#4334286)
In contrast, the league you mentioned initially, the SEC, is probably playing down, though that's based entirely on the league's strength.

Well, yeah, the SEC plays down, except for the years they play each other in BCS games, I guess.
   2082. SoSH U at work Posted: December 29, 2012 at 06:54 PM (#4334288)

Well, yeah, the SEC plays down, except for the years they play each other in BCS games, I guess.

If one is plural, then sure.

Hey, the SEC has been the best league. Now it's easy to take that simple truth too far (for example, thinking Georgia warranted the No. 3 ranking before the SEC title game), but it's been the best league for quite some time, which means that its teams will typically be matched up against lesser foes in the bowl games.
   2083. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 29, 2012 at 06:55 PM (#4334289)
I'm watching the Pinstripe bowl. It hasn't been exciting from what I've seen. But I like seeing a bowl game in shitty weather. WVU pissed away some serious offensive talent this year. Without the big 3 next year, they could extremely struggle.

I'm not so sure. I think Austin and Bailey are special receivers and Geno is alright, but this isn't a special offense. They aren't doing anything today, they have been entirely shutdown at times this season but unimpressive defenses. They are extremely thin on offense this year and it showed every time they faced a team without Bailey or when a team had enough depth in the secondary to cover the only two play makers on that side of the ball. I know they were a top 20 offense this year, but a lot of that production came against crappy defenses. If Holgorsen is who he should be, they will be fine on offense next year and better on defense. Of course, at this point, I don't expect them to do better than 6-6, maybe 7-5, with two wins against FCS teams (and I wouldn't be shocked to see Georgia Southern beat them).

I really don't like this team right now, and they deserve to lose, but the refs have been awful today.

Edit: Mother of God, I hate this ####### team. Ever seen a screen before you ########?
   2084. Spivey Posted: December 29, 2012 at 07:04 PM (#4334294)
It's easy to forget how bad WVU's defense is when you're not watching them play.
   2085. Spivey Posted: December 29, 2012 at 07:08 PM (#4334296)
Geno Smith appeared to be clearly tripped on that play.
   2086. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 29, 2012 at 07:11 PM (#4334301)
Two safeties. Wow, I don't remember seeing that before. Well, after three weeks to fix their problems, they have accumulated an absurd number of penalties, the line play is worse, the running game has disappeared, the run defense which had previously been a relative strength collapsed, and the pass defense still can't make a play. Maybe it's time to start looking hard at the coaching staff.

And another ####### penalty, this time on a kickoff. Game over, season over, good riddance.
   2087. Spivey Posted: December 29, 2012 at 07:12 PM (#4334302)
WVU is embarrassing themselves and the Big 12. They did not come to play in this game.
   2088. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: December 29, 2012 at 07:21 PM (#4334308)
Hey, the SEC has been the best league.

For about a decade now, yes. Obviously so.

Now it's easy to take that simple truth too far (for example, thinking Georgia warranted the No. 3 ranking before the SEC title game),

UGA played a Bama team that will destroy ND to a stalemate, more or less.
   2089. SoSH U at work Posted: December 29, 2012 at 07:29 PM (#4334313)

UGA played a Bama team that will destroy ND to a stalemate, more or less.

Oh, they were being ranked based on what was going to happen. Gotcha.

Prior to the SEC title game, Georgia beat one outstanding team all year in an ugly game, and got smoked by the only other good team on its schedule. They had no business bieng ranked where they were. One would have to be seriously deranged to argue otherwise.

2090. Every Inge Counts Posted: December 29, 2012 at 08:50 PM (#4334351)
Big Ten scheduling up reminds me of the 2010 Capital One Bowl game when an Alabama team that finished 4th in the SEC West had to play the Big Ten co-champions in that game. You can only guess who was scheduling up for that one....
   2091. Spivey Posted: December 29, 2012 at 09:13 PM (#4334357)
Jesus Christ David Ash annoys me.
   2092. Spivey Posted: December 29, 2012 at 09:30 PM (#4334362)
Well Oregon State just got screwed right there.
   2093. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 29, 2012 at 09:31 PM (#4334364)
Fancy clock management there by Reiley. Boy, that was amateurish.

So, I've been thinking the Big 12 wasn't as good as the computers suggest. Baylor helped temper that feeling, but the first six quarters of Big 12 football today have reestablished that feeling. I don't feel especially good about the other games, except for maybe TCU vs. MSU.
   2094. Spivey Posted: December 29, 2012 at 09:42 PM (#4334373)
Well Oklahoma State should manhandle Purdue.

But I do tend to think that the Big 12 is overmatched in the top games. Part of that is because Oregon is in the discussion for the best team in the country. I think A&M is better than Oklahoma, as well. The Big 12 was thought highly of by the computers in a lot of respects because it was so deep.

If Texas showed some willingness to throw the ball downfield I think they'd have success here. At the very least, they can't run on Oregon State because they're 100% committed to stopping it. Just like Oklahoma and half the other teams they've played.
   2095. Every Inge Counts Posted: December 29, 2012 at 09:46 PM (#4334377)
On an Alabama message board I saw someone make the comment that if Texas A&M played in the Big 12 this year they would have been playing for the title. Don't think that is true at all...but an interesting thought.
   2096. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 29, 2012 at 09:58 PM (#4334384)
Two safeties. Wow, I don't remember seeing that before.

3 Safeties

I think there was another 3 safety game a couple years ago, but can't remember who was playing. Don't forget the classic Iowa v Penn State, 6-4 thriller in 2004.
   2097. cmd600 Posted: December 29, 2012 at 09:58 PM (#4334385)
2090- that's a pretty nifty description. Both were the 3rd team taken from their conference and Bama was ranked higher coming into the game.
   2098. Cowboy Popup Posted: December 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM (#4334388)
Well Oklahoma State should manhandle Purdue.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one.

Part of that is because Oregon is in the discussion for the best team in the country. I think A&M is better than Oklahoma, as well. The Big 12 was thought highly of by the computers in a lot of respects because it was so deep.

Well, that and the entire conference mostly took care of business against bad teams. But other than the UCLA win, they have done very little OOC. I guess it's a conference full of good to decent teams with no top. But a lot of these teams appear to be more decent than good (WV, Texas Tech, Texas).

On an Alabama message board I saw someone make the comment that if Texas A&M played in the Big 12 this year they would have been playing for the title. Don't think that is true at all...but an interesting thought.

I seriously doubt that. A&M was up and down this year. They would have run into less great teams, but this is a team that almost loss to Ole Miss and LA Tech. I'm sure at least one Big 12 team, and probably two, would get them on their off weeks. They probably have the same record playing so many bowl teams.
   2099. Every Inge Counts Posted: December 29, 2012 at 10:04 PM (#4334389)
that's a pretty nifty description. Both were the 3rd team taken from their conference and Bama was ranked higher coming into the game.

Ah so 4th in the SEC West is equal to Big Ten co-champs.
   2100. Spivey Posted: December 29, 2012 at 10:07 PM (#4334391)
The only reason Alabama was playing in that game is because they couldn't hold a 24 point lead at home against the Cam Newtons.
Page 21 of 35 pages ‹ First  < 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BarrysLazyBoy
for his generous support.