Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, November 01, 2012

OT: November College Football Thread.

Alabama Is still Ranked #1.  Will they hold steady to repeat? Make it to the title game?  Or does another team claim the Crystal ball in Miami in January.

Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: November 01, 2012 at 01:43 PM | 3408 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college football

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 33 of 35 pages ‹ First  < 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 > 
   3201. Every Inge Counts Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:15 AM (#4341666)
Some Sunbelt team in Saban's first year. ULM?

This is it. I remember listening to that game on the radio and texting my friend in the 3rd quarter that we were going to lose this game. No one: the crowd, the radio crew, the team sounded like they were in that game. That was when we had Major Applewhite as OC.
   3202. Every Inge Counts Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:17 AM (#4341668)
I assume people remember the bowl woodshedding they received in NOLA a couple years back.

And I was at that game as well. A good example of the post 1st-year Saban team when upsets happen: opponent takes control in the 1st quarter and holds onto the lead the rest of the game (see Utah, South Carolina, and Texas A&M)
   3203. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:18 AM (#4341669)
So are the SEC defenses just far superior to Notre Dame's defense? OR is it something more?

SEC defenses are a bit bigger and a bit stronger than ND's defense, yes. But more importantly, SEC offenses can actually move the ball (outside of garbage time) and keep their defenses off the field a little, giving them a better shot.

But the short answer, to the dismay of most of the anti-SEC folks here, is that yes, SEC teams are just that much more talented than ND. The Irish are a decent team that made a run through luck and weak scheduling.
   3204. SteveM. Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:23 AM (#4341674)
I was at the ULM game in 2007. In many ways it marked the beginning of the turnaround of the program as Saban separated the wheat from chaff with Shula's players and used it as motivation throughout the 2008 season.
   3205. Der-K, the bloodied charmer Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:25 AM (#4341676)
oh, apropos baseball news: jai miller, who's had a few cup of coffee in the bigs, is retiring with the intention of playing football for bama.
   3206. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:26 AM (#4341678)
SEC offenses can actually move the ball (outside of garbage time) and keep their defenses off the field a little, giving them a better shot

I'd only quibble with this part of the statement. The SEC edge in team speed is quite apparent all over the defensive side of the ball, and the defensive fronts are head and shoulders better than any other league's fronts, but offensively, collectively the SEC offenses are in a spotty phase right now. Yeah, I get it when UF plays LSU, etc. it gets ugly and defense rules, but Much in the same way the XII is offense happy, the SEC (as a general matter, exceptions noted) has been a much more defensive dependent league. This is why A&M intrigues me (w/ Sumlin and of course Manziel).
   3207. SteveM. Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:26 AM (#4341679)

oh, apropos baseball news: jai miller, who's had a few cup of coffee in the bigs, is retiring with the intention of playing football for bama.

Love it. We need a safety with Lester graduating, and he doesn't count against the 85 scholarship limit.
   3208. Adam M Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:29 AM (#4341681)
So who is #2 in the final poll, Oregon or TAMU?
   3209. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:30 AM (#4341683)
of course another difference between Bama and Nebraska's 3 titles in 4 years run, Nebraska went undefeated all three seasons, Bama has done it once. Nebraska didn't beat chopped liver either, #4 Miami at the Orange Bowl with Sapp and Ray Lewis, #2 and undefeated UF in the Fiesta and #3 one loss Tennessee w Peyton Manning. I'd love to see the Neb v Mich matchup like anybody, but that's splitting hairs on a 60-3 run they had.
   3210. Every Inge Counts Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:30 AM (#4341684)
From what I have seen by coaches who have coached in the SEC and other conferences is two things:
One is the speed (which is overstated by the media), but SEC speed does exist.
the other is the defensive line (and defensive line depth) that does not exist in other conferences.
   3211. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:31 AM (#4341685)
I'd only quibble with this part of the statement. The SEC edge in team speed is quite apparent all over the defensive side of the ball, and the defensive fronts are head and shoulders better than any other league's fronts, but offensively, collectively the SEC offenses are in a spotty phase right now. Yeah, I get it when UF plays LSU, etc. it gets ugly and defense rules, but Much in the same way the XII is offense happy, the SEC (as a general matter, exceptions noted) has been a much more defensive dependent league. This is why A&M intrigues me (w/ Sumlin and of course Manziel).

I actually agree with this. The SEC's advantages are on the d-line and secondary. They're bigger and faster than any other conferences defenses, which negates some of Alabama's ground and pound style. But offensively they're hit and miss. I think the best offense in the conference is UGA, when Murray shows up to play, but that title may be handed off to Manziel and A&M next year.

The SEC advantage in major bowl games is almost always faster defenses than the competition's o-line has seen all year, and larger o-lines than the competition's defenses have seen all year.
   3212. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:32 AM (#4341686)
The Ducks? It is rare for a #1 or #2 team to drop to 3rd in the final poll if they are undefeated and playing in a title game. UF went from #2 to #3 in the coaches behind Tennessee after the '95 season, nevermind that Florida beat Teneessee 62-37 that season.
   3213. Every Inge Counts Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:33 AM (#4341688)
Well that was the most interesting thing to happen in the game (the AJ and Barrett spat).
   3214. Spivey Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:33 AM (#4341689)
The difference between the SEC and other conferences is the SEC has Saban and Alabama and other conferences don't.
   3215. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:36 AM (#4341693)
The difference between the SEC and other conferences is the SEC has Saban and Alabama and other conferences don't.

There always seems to be this one coach team that makes them special. It was Meyer, then it was Saban. There's a reason the best coaches choose to coach in the SEC.
   3216. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:38 AM (#4341694)
Herbstreit pretending that Saban never coached at Michigan State or Toledo. Claimed it took the Bear 25 years to get to 6 titles and says Saban has 4 in 8. I guess the preceding nine seasons coached never happened.
   3217. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:40 AM (#4341695)
There's a reason the best coaches choose to coach in the SEC.
because there are no other major sports franchises within 150 miles?
   3218. SteveM. Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:45 AM (#4341697)
#15!! Roll Tide!
   3219. Foghorn Leghorn Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:47 AM (#4341698)
So who is #2 in the final poll, Oregon or TAMU?
UGA
   3220. Foghorn Leghorn Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:57 AM (#4341704)
Okay, next years NC predictions? I predict "The SEC Champion".

Dayn?
   3221. AuntBea Posted: January 08, 2013 at 01:19 AM (#4341716)
TAMU has 2 losses. It's questionable if they'll be ranked above Georgia and Stanford. Oregon will certainly be ahead of Notre Dame in the human polls. Is there a final BCS poll, aside from number 1?
   3222. Forsch 10 From Navarone (Dayn) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 01:25 AM (#4341725)
and he doesn't count against the 85 scholarship limit.

This is funny.
   3223. Every Inge Counts Posted: January 08, 2013 at 01:30 AM (#4341726)
We were so close to not bringing it up. All of the non-shattered dreams because of oversigning.
   3224. Forsch 10 From Navarone (Dayn) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 01:33 AM (#4341730)
We were so close to not bringing it up. All of the non-shattered dreams because of oversigning.

To be fair, an Alabama fan brought it up by implication.
   3225. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 08, 2013 at 08:53 AM (#4341787)
congats to alabama. they won that game going away
   3226. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 09:12 AM (#4341793)
UGA

Definitely ahead of TAMU. I'd call it a flip between UGA and Oregon. There is little doubt that UGA should have been invited to the Sugar Bowl ahead of UF though.
   3227. Dan The Mediocre Posted: January 08, 2013 at 09:16 AM (#4341796)
There is little doubt that UGA should have been invited to the Sugar Bowl ahead of UF though.

Actually, getting beat 35-7, including a 21-0 deficit in the first quarter, creates a great deal of doubt.
   3228. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 09:23 AM (#4341803)
Actually, getting beat 35-7, including a 21-0 deficit in the first quarter, creates a great deal of doubt.

If the Sugar Bowl had been played on October 12, you might have a point.
   3229. Dan The Mediocre Posted: January 08, 2013 at 09:38 AM (#4341810)
If the Sugar Bowl had been played on October 12, you might have a point.

The regular season stopped counting towards what bowl you play in?
   3230. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 09:44 AM (#4341813)
The regular season stopped counting towards what bowl you play in?

Let me speaks slowly for you:

USCe beat UGA.
UF beat USCe.
UGA beat UF.

UF and UGA both ended the regular season with 1 loss. UF's loss was to UGA.

UGA then went on to lose the SEC Championship game to Alabama in a nailbiter. Not, mind you, what most would call the "regular season." That's the conference championship game. UF didn't have an opportunity to lose that second game because they lost to UGA and didn't make the SEC Championship.

At that point, you had two programs, one with 1 regular season loss (to UGA) and the other with 1 regular season loss (to USCe) and one post-season loss (to Alabama.)

The question is where to send those two programs. The mindless default is to send the "two loss team" to the Cap One bowl and the "one loss team" to the Sugar Bowl. I suggest, somewhat strongly, that that is an incorrect manner of thinking through the problem.
   3231. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: January 08, 2013 at 10:05 AM (#4341826)
After it was 14-0, I switched over to RAW.
   3232. Dan The Mediocre Posted: January 08, 2013 at 10:13 AM (#4341830)
UGA then went on to lose the SEC Championship game to Alabama in a nailbiter. Not, mind you, what most would call the "regular season." That's the conference championship game. UF didn't have an opportunity to lose that second game because they lost to UGA and didn't make the SEC Championship.

At that point, you had two programs, one with 1 regular season loss (to UGA) and the other with 1 regular season loss (to USCe) and one post-season loss (to Alabama.)

The question is where to send those two programs. The mindless default is to send the "two loss team" to the Cap One bowl and the "one loss team" to the Sugar Bowl. I suggest, somewhat strongly, that that is an incorrect manner of thinking through the problem.

So you're suggesting that the At-Large teams be chosen before the conference championships?
   3233. Spivey Posted: January 08, 2013 at 10:14 AM (#4341831)
ND's entire defense looked pretty exposed and overrated last night. Alabama's offensive line can do that to you, but man that was a bad showing. Alabama's won 3 titles in 4 years, and the QBs they've gone through are Garrett Gilbert, Jordan Jefferson, and Everett Golson.

The announcers were talking about how many more tackles ND missed than normal. But if you watched the game, a big reason why they were missed is because guys weren't getting off blocks, guys were having to shoot gaps in risky ways. So you're in a situation where you're not able to hit a guy clean but can only take a half-shot on him. With Lacy running, that's not going to be enough. I don't think the missed tackles were "bad luck". If they played again next week, I think there'd be just as many missed tackles.
   3234. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 10:17 AM (#4341836)
So you're suggesting that the At-Large teams be chosen before the conference championships?

Not sure, honestly. I think the UGA/UF situation was a bit unique and odd, in that they were ranked 3/4 before the championship game, and the team that got hung with the "second loss" was the team that won the head to head. I do think that generally speaking, losses in conference championships should be significantly discounted by bowl selection process. If you don't lose in the 13th game because you didn't qualify to play in it, that shouldn't help you in rankings against the team that beat you out for the opportunity to play in that 13th game.
   3235. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 10:22 AM (#4341839)
But if you watched the game, a big reason why they were missed is because guys weren't getting off blocks, guys were having to shoot gaps in risky ways. So you're in a situation where you're not able to hit a guy clean but can only take a half-shot on him. With Lacy running, that's not going to be enough. I don't think the missed tackles were "bad luck". If they played again next week, I think there'd be just as many missed tackles.

Agreed. Bad tackling by a team that is coached well on the fundamentals (which ND certainly seems to be) is a product of design and dominance on the o-line. If the d-line beats the o-line, linebackers have clean angles to tackle the ball carrier for little gain. If the o-line beats the d-line, linebackers can't scrape into the gaps and have to take bad angles, or even worse, get caught behind the d-linemen who are being pushed backwards by the o-line.

Alabama's o-line dominated ND's d-line last night, which made their athletic linebackers a moot point. The linebackers then had to cheat in on the run, trying to get into gaps earlier by playing closer to the line to start, which opened up the passing lanes for big gashing gains.
   3236. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: January 08, 2013 at 10:27 AM (#4341840)
Welp, that sucked.

The Irish return a lot next year. I was just hoping for 9 wins this season so overall it was a pleasant surprise.

I gotta tip my cap to Alabama; that offensive line was ferocious.
   3237. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 10:34 AM (#4341843)
Notre Dame should just trot out the "we weren't really up to play such a lame team instead of somebody good" excuse like so many other losing teams seem to be doing.
   3238. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 08, 2013 at 10:38 AM (#4341845)
this was mentioned last night but as a reminder the size difference between the alabama offensive line and the notre dame defensive line was startling. this can work for a defense if the linemen are really fast/strong and the offensive line is just big versus strong but last night all you saw was alabama linemen tossing d-linemen around.

how did the analysts overlook alabama being 10-15 percent bigger than their counterparts on the line?
   3239. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 10:40 AM (#4341847)
how did the analysts overlook alabama being 10-15 percent bigger than their counterparts on the line?

They didn't. But ESPN wasn't going to put on-air talent on-air to point out the fact that their marquee, BCS Championship game matchup was going to be a snoozefest.
   3240. Foghorn Leghorn Posted: January 08, 2013 at 10:41 AM (#4341848)
Hell, Lacy looked as big as the ND defenders. He would just plow them under.

Good thing he's a senior. What? Well, at least Yeldon is gone. What?
   3241. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: January 08, 2013 at 10:44 AM (#4341850)
this was mentioned last night but as a reminder the size difference between the alabama offensive line and the notre dame defensive line was startling. this can work for a defense if the linemen are really fast/strong and the offensive line is just big versus strong but last night all you saw was alabama linemen tossing d-linemen around.

ND starts three DLs over 300 pounds. I think the issue was that ND was in the unusual position of having to shoot gaps with their LBs because they couldn't neutralize Alabama's line with those three guys.
   3242. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 08, 2013 at 10:56 AM (#4341860)
pops

not here to dump on notre dame as i know last night for their fans.

suffice to say they looked physically overmatched and at this level you just don't expect that
   3243. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: January 08, 2013 at 11:08 AM (#4341871)
Oh, I don't disagree with that. I also give credit to Alabama's play design. Most ND opponents have tried to make holes by doubling up on the DLs at the point of attack and got eaten up by LBs running free. Alabama singled up and just got the ball to the line of scrimmage too quickly for the singled up DLs to make a play. Then they had guards lighting up the second level.

It was most notable on Louis Nix. He has been doubled basically all year but Alabama just used Jones on him. Louis made a fair number of plays but not nearly enough to counter their strategy. Alabama's offensive line is exceptional and they leveraged it well.
   3244. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 11:09 AM (#4341873)
Alabama's offensive line is exceptional and they leveraged it well.

Agreed.
   3245. SteveM. Posted: January 08, 2013 at 11:13 AM (#4341880)
Alabama has four guys who will play at the next level on the O-Line. I am not sure many lines have guys that could match up one on one against a big ND D-Line. The guards were able to get to the next level to block the linebackers. I love smash mouth football.
   3246. Foghorn Leghorn Posted: January 08, 2013 at 11:16 AM (#4341884)
I thought the most amazing part was ND LBs would shoot a gap, hit Lacy or Yeldon 3 yards deep and the RB would just keep going.
   3247. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 11:21 AM (#4341891)
I thought the most amazing part was ND LBs would shoot a gap, hit Lacy or Yeldon 3 yards deep and the RB would just keep going.

Well, they *are* leprechauns.
   3248. DA Baracus is a "bloodthirsty fan of Atlanta." Posted: January 08, 2013 at 11:24 AM (#4341897)
suffice to say they looked physically overmatched and at this level you just don't expect that

Sure you did if thought ND was vastly overrated. And a lot of us did.
   3249. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 11:51 AM (#4341926)
Sure you did if thought ND was vastly overrated. And a lot of us did.

This is a good point, well phrased. Many people assume that I am an SEC fanboy who thinks the SEC can never be beaten, all evidence to the contrary. I'm not. I think the SEC is the best conference in college football, but that the XII is pretty close and a few teams, like Oregon, are in the top tier as well.

What I've never believed, and feel was confirmed solidly last night, was that Notre Dame was anywhere near that level of competition.
   3250. Foghorn Leghorn Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:00 PM (#4341942)
2803. Tom Nawrocki Posted: January 03, 2013 at 05:02 PM (#4338244)

The SEC has three more bowl games - if they win those three they go 6-3 in bowls and (another) national championship.

So if they run the table from here on out, their record goes from mediocre to good? Very impressive, Christopher. What happens if they lose those three?
The world may never know.
   3251. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:03 PM (#4341943)
What I've never believed, and feel was confirmed solidly last night, was that Notre Dame was anywhere near that level of competition.

Just out of curiosity, at what rank do you think ND (which, after all, is Latin for "Our Lady," & god knows those guys played like a bunch of malnourished nuns) truly belongs in the Top 25? Do they belong in the Top 25, considering the problems they had with the likes of Pitt?
   3252. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:09 PM (#4341949)
Just out of curiosity, at what rank do you think ND (which, after all, is Latin for "Our Lady," & god knows those guys played like a bunch of malnourished nuns) truly belongs in the Top 25? Do they belong in the Top 25, considering the problems they had with the likes of Pitt?

I think they're probably top 25, but not top 10. Maybe not top 15. I think ND is basically Vandy.
   3253. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:23 PM (#4341964)
I think they're probably top 25, but not top 10. Maybe not top 15. I think ND is basically Vandy.

Let's be serious. How many teams in the country never lost a game by 3+ touchdowns?

EDIT:

From the BCS conferences (off the top of my head):

Oregon
Stanford
Ohio State
Florida State
Clemson
Alabama
Florida
LSU

Who am I missing?

Double EDIT: Texas A&M
   3254. spike Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:30 PM (#4341969)
The one major surprise (finally got to watch the replay) was how bad Te'o looked. I mean, he was just flat missing tackles, both against the rush and the pass. Either the guy gave up, or he's just nowhere near as good as advertised.
   3255. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:35 PM (#4341972)
Let's be serious. How many teams in the country never lost a game by 3+ touchdowns?

Anybody can get punked on a travel date in mid October. It's a different sort of thing to have a month to prepare for the national friggin' championship and walk out there and have your ass handed to you before the first quarter was over.
   3256. McCoy Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:39 PM (#4341975)
There have been plenty of championships both professional and collegiate in which one side choked and ND definitely choked. That isn't to say this would have been a close game if they hadn't choked but it would have been closer than 42-14.
   3257. spike Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:44 PM (#4341982)
Serious question - what did you see that makes you think ND choked as opposed to being strangled?
   3258. DA Baracus is a "bloodthirsty fan of Atlanta." Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:54 PM (#4341992)
3249 sums up my thoughts exactly with the bonus of me not having to type it from my phone.
   3259. McCoy Posted: January 08, 2013 at 12:55 PM (#4341994)
They looked pretty nervous and tentative in the first quarter. Afterwards they did settle down a bit and Alabama didn't walk all over them as much. Again, non-choking ND doesn't mean ND wins the game or that the final score would be 17-16. Probably something like Alabama to just under 30 points and ND at something like 10 to 17 points.
   3260. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 01:01 PM (#4342003)
Again, non-choking ND doesn't mean ND wins the game or that the final score would be 17-16. Probably something like Alabama to just under 30 points and ND at something like 10 to 17 points.

I had it pegged something like 31-10. I thought it would be close in the first half, maybe 17-7 going in, and that Bama's line would wear them down in the second to pull away. I sort of assumed some of the hype about ND's defense was warranted. I didn't expect the Tide to just come out and donkey-punch them on the first three drives of the game.
   3261. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: January 08, 2013 at 01:02 PM (#4342006)
Funny that Cowboy mentioned the UF-OSU game from '07. This game ended within one point of that game (UF won 41-14).
   3262. Spivey Posted: January 08, 2013 at 01:19 PM (#4342020)
What does choking even mean? How does a defense choke? That's BS. The main position where I could see there being an argument for choking is QB, and I actually thought Golson played a solid game all things considered. Better than most players on ND.
   3263. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 08, 2013 at 01:22 PM (#4342025)
pops

wisconsin's largest margin of defeat this season was 7 points. wisky lost by 7 in overtime to osu and by 6 to stanford in the rose bowl

the remaining defeats were all by exactly 3 points.
   3264. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 01:23 PM (#4342026)
What does choking even mean?

It means the team you wanted to do well got beat handily.
   3265. Chicago Joe Posted: January 08, 2013 at 01:35 PM (#4342034)
is Latin for "Our Lady"

It's French.

3266. McCoy Posted: January 08, 2013 at 01:40 PM (#4342039)
What does choking even mean?

They looked pretty nervous and tentative in the first quarter.
   3267. Eddo Posted: January 08, 2013 at 02:12 PM (#4342061)
[... a fairly long post detailing how Georgia was likely more qualified for the Sugar Bowl than Florida ...]

It's not that Florida was a conference champion (they didn't even play in their conference championship game), it's that the BCS guarantees that the #3 and #4 teams are guaranteed berths, and Florida was #3.

The issue is that Florida wasn't punished enough by voters for failing to win their division, and thus, not reaching the SEC championship, so Georgia's loss there pushed them below the team they beat a few weeks earlier.
   3268. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: January 08, 2013 at 02:13 PM (#4342064)
This is a good point, well phrased. Many people assume that I am an SEC fanboy who thinks the SEC can never be beaten, all evidence to the contrary. I'm not. I think the SEC is the best conference in college football, but that the XII is pretty close and a few teams, like Oregon, are in the top tier as well.
if you want to proclaim the dominance of the SEC, i'd say this bowl season was basically a push. the top 10 teams going into the postseason were notre dame, alabama, ohio state, florida, oregon, georgia, kansas state, stanford, LSU, and texas A&M. so, that's 5 SEC teams, 4 teams that didn't play an SEC team in their bowl game, and notre dame, who did what notre dame does in bowl games - lose.

i mean, if the SEC swept the table and beat oregon, kansas state, and stanford, i'd be more than willing to declare that their teams deserve preference over every other team in college football, but they didn't do that. and they didn't do it last year, either.

you can say all you want that teams in the SEC are more athletic, more talented, just plain better than other teams in college football, but they haven't proven it on the field against the best non-conference competition.
   3269. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 02:21 PM (#4342073)
i mean, if the SEC swept the table and beat oregon, kansas state, and stanford, i'd be more than willing to declare that their teams deserve preference over every other team in college football, but they didn't do that

So, in order for you to get pat your anti-SEC bias, SEC teams would have had to beat teams they were not paired against to play. I can see where you may never get past the bias, then.
   3270. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 02:23 PM (#4342075)
It's French.

Of course it is. Stupid moi.
   3271. Tom Nawrocki Posted: January 08, 2013 at 02:40 PM (#4342096)

There are probably quite a few. Harvey mentioned Wisconsin, and Northwestern's worst loss was by 11 points.

Northwestern finished 2-0 against the SEC.
   3272. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 02:43 PM (#4342104)
Northwestern finished 2-0 against the SEC

Vandy and Miss State. That's about right for a top program in the B1G this season, yeah. I think Notre Dame is about as good as Northwestern, too.
   3273. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 02:55 PM (#4342121)
Funny that Cowboy mentioned the UF-OSU game from '07. This game ended within one point of that game (UF won 41-14).

and Notre Dame actually outgained tOSU by 220 yards by comparison, and both games were garbage time for much of the 2nd half.
   3274. cmd600 Posted: January 08, 2013 at 03:05 PM (#4342135)
That's about right for a top program in the B1G this season

Except that Northwestern was probably the 6th best team in the Big Ten this year. And Vanderbilt and Miss St are no slouches. They're in the SEC, remember?
   3275. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 03:08 PM (#4342140)
I think it was pretty clear this year that Alabama was really good, and pretty much all the rest of the SEC teams were vastly overrated. Florida didn't belong anywhere near #3 in the country.
   3276. cmd600 Posted: January 08, 2013 at 03:13 PM (#4342148)
3375 - Pretty much agree. Alabama has put on quite the run over the last four years. How that means anything remotely positive to the rest of the SEC (including our local Tennessee and Georgia fans) remains a mystery.
   3277. DA Baracus is a "bloodthirsty fan of Atlanta." Posted: January 08, 2013 at 03:23 PM (#4342166)
Nobody in this thread is a UGA fan.
   3278. Shredder Posted: January 08, 2013 at 03:34 PM (#4342176)
There's a reason the best coaches choose to coach in the SEC.
Because it's the one conference that doesn't care if you sign 35 guys a year?
   3279. cmd600 Posted: January 08, 2013 at 03:48 PM (#4342187)
Nobody in this thread is a UGA fan

Nobody out and out says they are.
   3280. Foghorn Leghorn Posted: January 08, 2013 at 03:52 PM (#4342192)
3375 - Pretty much agree. Alabama has put on quite the run over the last four years. How that means anything remotely positive to the rest of the SEC (including our local Tennessee and Georgia fans) remains a mystery.
The SEC has won 7 straight NCs. Bama only won three of them. In the BCS era, the SEC has two more, and really, two others should be vacated (USC and tOSU).YEs, I don't know why.
   3281. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 03:56 PM (#4342197)
I think it was pretty clear this year that Alabama was really good, and pretty much all the rest of the SEC teams were vastly overrated. Florida didn't belong anywhere near #3 in the country.

Who, aside from AL, Oregon, and UGA should have been ranked ahead of FL?
   3282. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: January 08, 2013 at 03:58 PM (#4342202)
I've always been a little...not "amused," really, but maybe distant from these conference debates. I never really get too worked up about that. Part of it is rooting for a team that is itself widely hated within its own conference; it's hard for me to root too hard for the SEC when the SEC pretty much hates me. And I've never really felt much kinship with the SEC; it's an odd to thing to say about one of the conference's founding members, but Florida is culturally rather distant from the rest of the conference.

But more than that, I just don't see how "SEC 4EVA!!!!" is supposed to make me proud or anything like it. Is Alabama winning the title supposed to make me feel better about UF losing the Sugar Bowl? About the whole of the season? OK, if you're an A&M fan than beating the eventually champs is a nice little bit of bragging rights, and long-term it helps the individual teams for the conference to look good. But that's not enough for me to get emotionally invested in the conference's performance.
   3283. cmd600 Posted: January 08, 2013 at 04:05 PM (#4342213)
YEs, I don't know why.

What exactly do you get out of Alabama running roughshod over the rest of college football? All a Saban-run Alabama team means for you is that it's that much harder to even get to a BCS game.
   3284. Cowboy Popup Posted: January 08, 2013 at 04:07 PM (#4342215)

I agree with the first part.

The problem with saying Florida is overrated is that they beat just about everyone else in the conference (USCe, A&M, LSU plus FSU) and only lost to Georgia because they turned the ball over 6 times. I guess they caught A&M at the perfect time, but otherwise, it's hard to discount those wins, even if those teams are #10-20 quality teams (which I think is likely) instead of #4-10 quality teams.

I think at the end of the season, it was Bama and A&M, with everyone else in the conference well behind, with Georgia probably still a top ten team. I would have loved to see the top of the Pac-12 take on those two squads.

And isn't it just perfect that the SEC happens to add A&M on the ground level of what could be an historic run of success for the program.

This is a good point. There were very few one loss teams from BCS conferences this year. I think, much like the term ace, we all have an idealized idea of what a top ten squad should look like, but that doesn't always play out when it's a thin year at the top. UF definitely deserved to be ranked in the top five at the end of the year, even though they should have lost to Mizzou and almost lost to ULL.
   3285. spike Posted: January 08, 2013 at 04:07 PM (#4342216)
An SEC team manages to beat Alabama pretty much annually. Everyone else, not so much.
   3286. cmd600 Posted: January 08, 2013 at 04:12 PM (#4342221)
An SEC team manages to beat Alabama pretty much annually. Everyone else, not so much.

A function of opportunities. Since the beginning of 2008, Alabama is 38-6 against the SEC, and 8-1 against major OOC foes (includes Utah, but not Duke). 86% of the time vs 89% of the time, negligible.

EDIT: adjusted to fix math.
   3287. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 04:13 PM (#4342223)

Well, ND wasn't that good, but they were undefeated.

Stanford had an extra loss, but certainly appeared to be a much better team. Clemson. Possibly Louisville, who certainly appeared to be much better when they went head-to-head.

UGA wasn't that hot, either. The distance between Alabama and the rest of the conference has only grown.
   3288. Cowboy Popup Posted: January 08, 2013 at 04:18 PM (#4342231)
Stanford had an extra loss, but certainly appeared to be a much better team. Clemson. Possibly Louisville, who certainly appeared to be much better when they went head-to-head.

Clemson? They lost by a bunch of points to FSU, who Florida beat, and USCe, who Florida beat. I can think of no reasonable argument for ranking Clemson ahead of UF. Louisville lost to UConn (granted, without Bridgewater), and beat...Cincinnati? UNC? Rutgers? there was zero reason to look at them as a top ten team before they did what they did to UF (which was awesome).

Stanford would require some serious eye test adjustments. They did lose to a lousy Washington team, but that was before they switched QBs. Sure, they ended the season much stronger than UF, but the rankings are supposed to measure the full body of work over the season.
   3289. smileyy Posted: January 08, 2013 at 04:24 PM (#4342238)
Is A&M's season this year a solid argument for playoffs?
   3290. spike Posted: January 08, 2013 at 04:25 PM (#4342239)
8-1 against major OOC foes

8-0 current streak against your "major OOC" over the last 4 seasons (2009-12). 27-5 SEC during that span.

EDIT - 31-5 including 3 SEC CG, 1 MNC
   3291. Foghorn Leghorn Posted: January 08, 2013 at 04:33 PM (#4342248)
What exactly do you get out of Alabama running roughshod over the rest of college football? All a Saban-run Alabama team means for you is that it's that much harder to even get to a BCS game.
It isn't just Bama though. Didn't you notice that Bama has only won three of the last seven, all of which were won by SEC teams? Being in a better conference, even if you aren't Bama, you get better recruits. More money, better facilities, etc. etc.
   3292. Foghorn Leghorn Posted: January 08, 2013 at 04:34 PM (#4342250)
8-1 against major OOC foes

8-0 current streak against your "major OOC" over the last 4 seasons (2009-12). 27-5 SEC during that span.

EDIT - 31-5 including 3 SEC CG, 1 MNC
Hey hey! Stop screwing with his multiple endpoint argument.
   3293. Every Inge Counts Posted: January 08, 2013 at 04:37 PM (#4342254)
Is A&M's season this year a solid argument for playoffs?

And that they would have been left out of most major playoff arguments? Sure. And I think Texas A&M was playing some of the best football in the country at the end of the season. But the only playoffs they would have made would have been one with like 10+ teams in it.
   3294. cmd600 Posted: January 08, 2013 at 04:47 PM (#4342271)
3290 - What was fundamentally different about 2008 that it needs to be excluded? I think it's pretty obvious that in Saban's first year, Alabama hadn't gotten up to full speed yet, but there were a championship contender in 2008.

3291 - Did your team get better recruits and up its talent level when Meyer/Tebow made Florida the team to beat? Is your team doing so now that its Saban at Alabama? Do Big Ten teams feel a camaraderie about making more money than anyone else?
   3295. cmd600 Posted: January 08, 2013 at 04:49 PM (#4342274)
And that they would have been left out of most major playoff arguments? Sure. And I think Texas A&M was playing some of the best football in the country at the end of the season. But the only playoffs they would have made would have been one with like 10+ teams in it.

Right, Stanford at six in the BCS is the better argument (assuming that a playoff isn't just simply conference champions).
   3296. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 04:54 PM (#4342279)
Well, ND wasn't that good, but they were undefeated.

UGA wasn't that hot, either. The distance between Alabama and the rest of the conference has only grown.

December 01, 2012 - Bama 32, UGA 28. Time expired with UGA four yards from a game winning TD.
January 07, 2013 - Bama 42, ND 14. Time expired on the Irish's chances of winning the game in the first quarter.

This is amazing cognitive dissonance. If there is one team we KNOW had no business being in the top 5 going into bowl season, it was ND. If there's one team we KNOW could play Bama to a standstill competitively, during bowl season, it was UGA.

UF getting smacked around in the Sugar Bowl means they were ranked too high, "obviously," but ND being crushed like bugs by a team that was played to a deadlock by UGA a month earlier simply means Alabama is just light years better than the rest of the SEC and UGA wasn't "that hot" at all.

Let me state this clearly for you. Any of the top five SEC teams would have beaten holy hell out of ND last night. There is one team that I can think of - Oregon - who may have hung in against either Alabama, Georgia or TAMU.
   3297. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 04:57 PM (#4342282)
the rankings are supposed to measure the full body of work over the season.

I was just spitballing teams that were obviously better than Florida to my eye. It doesn't take much adjustment to put Stanford over UF, really -- UF wasn't materially different to Notre Dame: terrible offense, pretty good defense, a fair amount of luck.
   3298. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 05:00 PM (#4342284)
Any of the top five SEC teams would have beaten holy hell out of ND last night.

I don't deny that ND would have finished fifth or sixth in the SEC. They're not very good. But the fact that UGA played its best game, Alabama one of its worst, and Alabama still won isn't any kind of argument for Georgia being an elite program.
   3299. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 08, 2013 at 05:05 PM (#4342291)
But the fact that UGA played its best game, Alabama one of its worst, and Alabama still won isn't any kind of argument for Georgia being an elite program.

Is there some reason, aside from the common misconception that I'm Bulldog fan and the general distaste that most around here seem to have agreeing with me on anything, that everyone here is so unwilling to acknowledge that UGA was one of the best programs in football last year?
   3300. cmd600 Posted: January 08, 2013 at 05:11 PM (#4342297)
unwilling to acknowledge that UGA was one of the best programs in football last year

Because outside of the Alabama game, they didn't look like one? And in that game, Alabama, with the best rush defense in the nation, was getting gashed pretty good. I think it's more than fair to assume something was up with Alabama that game.
Page 33 of 35 pages ‹ First  < 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
James Kannengieser
for his generous support.